The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deadwood
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:25 am 
Thought I'd a thread for this new western series from HBO. From the brief previews I've seen, I did notice what looked like two woman kissing, it was fast but I'm pretty sure. A blonde woman, appears to be a main character she was in several of the scenes, and a brunette. It looks very good, Keith Carradine as Wild Bill Hitchcock is well cast. Show won't premiere until March 21.

Post subject: Re: Deadwood
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:48 pm 
I don't recall seeing that in the previews, but I've only seen them a couple times and wasn't really paying close attention. Regardless, it looks like a really intriguing premise, and I think I'll catch it when it starts its run. Keith Carradine really doesn't get enough work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:16 pm 
And Molly Parker is one of the stars, which is enough for me to give it a chance.

"Learning, playing and loving, and combinations thereof,are a good way to spend a lifetime. Admittedly, a difficult regimen, but nonetheless not beyond attainment.

Start with playing." - Alexei Panshin, The Thurb Revolution

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:27 pm 
Sopranos gets foul-mouthed frontier followup in new HBO series Deadwood
Quote:
Deadwood opens in 1876, just weeks after American centennial celebrations but also Little Big Horn. And while there is excitement due to the gold discoveries, there is also widespread fear over the Indian issue.

Among those riding into town to seek his fortune is legendary gambler/gunfighter Wild Bill Hickok (portrayed in appropriate long-haired, buckskin style by Keith Carradine). But history records that Hickok was killed by Cock-Eyed Jack McCall during a saloon card game some 11 days after his arrival in Deadwood, so it's no spoiler to report that he doesn't survive to the final episodes.

The focus instead is on a fictionalized hero, Seth Bullock (Timothy Olyphant), a former lawman who just wants to open his own business, and Al Swearengen (Ian McShane in an unforgettable moustache-twirling performance), a corrupt and murderous saloon-brothel owner.

A roster of familiar character actors rounds out the cast, including Brad Dourif, William Sanderson, Powers Boothe and Robin Weigert as the butchy Calamity Jane who has a crush on Wild Bill but who certainly appears to be of indeterminate gender.
I'm guessing Calamity Jane is the one kissing a woman. Could be interesting but I don't get HBO. Kittens with HBO will have to let us know.

I still see dead lesbian cliches

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:50 am 
I'm pretty sure the one I saw was the blonde woman(the other woman might be Molly Parker's character) in the promos, who from what I can tell appears to be a new madam trying to start her own business in Deadwood. One memorable line of hers is(and i hope I get this right):'We'll let the price of pxxxx sort itself out.' She also appears to be quite ruthless as she eagerly takes a gun handed to her from Powers Booth's character as he tells her to 'take care of my light work' in reference to a woman cowering on the floor. Oh, well, hopefully we all find out Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:52 pm 
Wow, just seen it...I was very impressed, but it's definately not for the faint of heart. Calamity Jane kicks ass.

Post subject: Joanie & Flora
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:05 pm 
well, this looks promising.we're talking xena/ gabrielle-like subtext between those two. especially the previews for next week. interested see just what exactly the producers of this series have in mind for these two. loved their 'got to act happier' talk in front of the mirror.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:13 pm 
It's shows like this and QAF that make me sorry I don't have premium channels. HBO particularily is doing so many cool shows and movies. Well it all gets out on DVD for the rest of us.

TV series producing 'gold' for Deadwood
Quote:
There hasn't been such a rush to Deadwood, S.D., since gold was discovered there in the late 1800s.

In a TV landscape dominated by crime dramas and reality contests, a nearly extinct genre is making a comeback. The edgy Western "Deadwood" is roping in viewers and raising interest in the real-life town.

HBO's show, seen at 9 p.m. Sundays, is based on the lawless Black Hills burg as it was in 1876. It premiered March 21; after two episodes, the network ordered a second season.

Last week, after the show's sixth episode, "Deadwood" tied with wrestling for the No. 2 spot in cable for the week, right behind "The Sopranos," which is its lead-in show.

About 4.8 million viewers tuned in to the series, which has raised eyebrows with the four-letter words of the frontier folk who populate it, including Western legends Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane.

"The show has just been amazing," says Mary Kopco, director of Deadwood's Adams Museum, who advised on historical details. "We're getting asked all the time about the characters. This is absolutely wonderful for us."

No doubt about it: Though "Deadwood" is filmed in California, it has this town of 1,350 panning for tourist gold.
And it even helps out a bit of South Dakota.

Post subject: Joanie
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:53 am 
Wow-very intense episode. First, let me say the scene with Joanie and Flora at the beginning was H-O-T. The not as innocent as she seems Flora could give Mrs. Robinson lessons on seduction. But, alas, it seems Flora and 'her brother' were a couple of thieves. Dumb ones, given their ultimate and rather messy end. Powers Booth can play mean when he has too. But Kim Dickens, the actress who plays Joanie, I am becoming a fan of hers more and more. A few notable quotes, Cy to Joanie after he sees Flora leaving her room: "Got another scalp on your belt?"

And Flora to to her brother discussing their 'plan':"I can steer the dyke(Joanie)."

Edited by: TyRex316 at: 5/10/04 4:24 pm

Post subject: Re: Joanie
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:15 pm 
Which makes me ask a question that I wondered about as soon as I heard the word used in this ep- would the term dyke really be common usage in 1876 America? Something tells me the kitten board is a good place to find an answer to that question.

All in all, I'm enjoying this show, despite the violence, the squalor and the truly remarkable amount of swearing. The acting is first rate, without question. I hadn't even realised that was Kim Dickens, she looks so different in period clothes. She's a brilliant actress. And I'm glad to see Molly Parker's role steadily growing more prominent.

"Life's complications and frustrations/they disappear when the music starts playing/I found a place where it feels alright/I hear a record and it opened my eyes/do you remember what the music meant?" - Speakers Push Air, Pretty Girls Make Graves

Post subject: Re: Flora
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:32 pm 
Question: what is the name of the beautiful young actress who played Flora?

I agree as far as the swearing is concerned. True, the standard "anglo-saxonisms" were certainly to be heard in the rough environment of the Old West, but it is important to remember that this was still the 19th century, still the Victorian era. I can't even remotely believe that anyone swore as much as Swearingen [?sp?] does during this period--he seems to have strayed in from some episode of "The Sopranos":devilish As far as "dyke" is concerned, it seems anachronistic to me. It's worth noting that a close relationship (i.e. one with "romantic" implications) between women was still referred to as "a Boston Marriage" at this time;) .

Post subject: Re: Flora
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:08 am 
Kristen Bell played the lovely Flora, details here

www.imdb.com/name/nm0068338/

Post subject: Re: Joanie
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:12 pm 
Quote:
Which makes me ask a question that I wondered about as soon as I heard the word used in this ep- would the term dyke really be common usage in 1876 America? Something tells me the kitten board is a good place to find an answer to that question.

I just checked a couple of online etymological dictionaries and they say that the word dyke wasn't used till the 1920's-30's, so deadwood is being anachronistic.

BTW the word dyke is an abbreviation of the word bulldyker (which was first used in 1901). It has been speculated that this was a corruption of Boudicca.

There's more than one way to do it. - The Perl mantra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:11 am 
Originally posted by Still Waters Run Deep

currently on Sky in the Uk.

Has anyone seen this yet? I've only caught snippets, and I have to say the language is worse than my local on a Saturday night.

I believe it was on HBO in the US.

comments? reviews? anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:19 pm 
The second season of this show started last night in the U.S. and Canada, so I thought I'd find this thread and see if anyone else watched. I was fairly happy with this ep, lots of interesting developments. I particularly enjoyed Calamity Jane's cameo appearance, that made me chuckle for a couple of minutes. I could live with a little less of the Ian McShane character, but i seem to be in the minority there so I will have to get used to him being in almost every scene.

"Life's complications and frustrations/they disappear when the music starts playing/I found a place where it feels alright/I hear a record and it opened my eyes/do you remember what the music meant?" - Speakers Push Air, Pretty Girls Make Graves

Post subject: Re:Season Premiere
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:55 pm 
I was kinda surprised they're starting out the season with a Bullock/Al confrontation. And next ep doesn't look things between them are going to settle down any. Should be interesting to see how the Seth/Mrs.Garret/Seth's wife triangle plays out during the season. I mean the whole town knows that the sheriff is cheating on his wife and as evidenced by Al can and most likely will, blurt it out withou a momments notice. I don't think Seth is going to take being vunerable like that for long.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:22 am 
2. Floating Rose

Figured I'd bump this up because next week's ep looks good. The relationship between Joanie Stubbs and Calamity Jane has been interesting all season-Calamity Jane along with Charlie Utter have( since the tragic events of last season ) kinda appointed themselves Joanie's unofficial protectors=) And Calamity, when she hasn't drunken herself senseless, is almost always at her post. So much so that Joanie has gotten used to having her around. Even with everything else going on this season-the dynamic between these two has been great and it's been slowly building toward something. And next week looks like it finally boils over.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:52 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 8
It was kind of a "blah" ending to the Season, I thought. It seemed that they were building up to some huge armed confrontation between Hearst's men and the townspeople, but it all just came to a dead stop. :happy

I think the reason for this may have to do with the fact that HBO is supposed to have pulled the rug out from under David Milch--they wouldn't give him either the number of episodes that he wanted nor the necessary funding. A damn shame, in my opinion. This was a high-quality series and it should have been allowed to play out (but of course, after the abandonment of the excellent "Carnivale" series, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised :grrrrr ).

Anyway, one thing is obvious: Joanie loves Janie, Joanie loves Janie, Joanie loves Janie :party :party :party

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:34 pm 
12. Recently Gay

Totally agree about the series finale. I've been waiting for weeks for some spectacular confrontation and was a little disappointed at the indifferent way they resolved it. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it had something to do with the budget issue, those big gunbattles are probably very expensive to shoot. Also wasn't thrilled that the only person to die was yet another hooker, a disturbing trend on this show. Still the acting was superb and yes, Joanie loves Jane indeed. That was a nice surprise, that they handled that so well.