The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alias
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:58 pm 
I'm starting this thread to complain about Alias, not to praise it. Don't get me wrong - most of the time I enjoy the show. It can get pretty silly, but it's usually a fun thrill ride. But I'm seeing a trend that's really starting to annoy me.

In a nutshell, it seems like apart from Sydney Bristow, every major female character is a sinister double-agent who uses sex to control the good guys and learn their secrets. And the men are all stupid enough to fall for it.

First, we had Sydney's mother. Then there was the doppelganger who replaced Sydney's roommate. Then there was Vaughn's new wife, and tonight we added Vaughn's mother-in-law.

What's up with that? :mad

It's starting to remind me of another show that claimed to be feminist because of a butt-kicking female character in the lead role, but beneath the surface was something entirely different. :spin

"The stories we tell - that's us explaining how we think the world works. Once we speak it, once we say it aloud, that makes it real for us - and real for everyone else who hears it too. When we tell a story, we invite people to visit our reality. We invite them to move in. Our stories are the reality we live in." - David Gerrold, The Martian Child

Post subject: Re: Alias
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:58 am 
Well I'm in the UK so I've only seen up to Reunion but I do know most of what's happened so far (perils of the internet.) They do seem to have overdone the storyline of the evil wife sent to marry and steal information from her husband (Irina, Lauren I presume and Elsa, although Elsa and Neil were honest with each other and in love and that all worked out.)

I'm not entirely convinced that Irina is evil though, I think she actually loves Jack and Sydney.

And Carrie's not a sinister double-agent. I hope.

Something that I've noticed about Alias though is the dead/evil British person cliche. Every character with a British accent either dies or is evil. Danny's dead, the MI5 agent's dead, Sark's evil, Lauren's evil. Plus the Alliance headquarters were in London.

I could go on about Alias for ages, I'm just a little obsessed. So if you want to talk about it...?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:57 pm 
I agree. I've watched the show from the beginning and I do love it. Usually. This season has been a bit of a trial.

I have to say that I'm more pissed off about Vaughn than I am about yet another evil wife.

Is there a hyphen in anal-retentive?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:08 pm 
Yeah, I have to say that I'm enjoying this season the least so far (Lauren was a lot more interesting when she was ambiguous, and not Over The Top Evil). Sloan is Sydney's father? Please.

I adore Lena Olin :drool , so I'm seriously missing Irina this season (I think she actually loves Sydney---and maybe Jack---too. Or did, when last we saw her).

The Brits are evil? No! :eek Sorry, British Kittens: that "English accent equals Evil" is one of the Oldest Cliche's in American Entertainment. (Um, Star Wars? The "Empire" was a Rule, Brittannia version! :p ) See what happens when you tax our tea? :lol

GG Never been a Vaughn fan: why does he always---even when happy in love---look constipated? :rolleyes Out

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:22 pm 
I gave up on it. JJ Abrams seems to be throwing anything he can think of on the screen and sticking with things that don't work and after a while I got tired of it.The family dynamics of last season were so much more interesting than this whiny melodramatic triangle and Vaughn's godawful wife.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:24 pm 
Sloane is most certainly not Sydney's father. I don't care what he or anyone says I won't believe it.

I love Lena Olin too. There was a rumour that she was coming back at the end of this season that had everyone on sd-1 going crazy but it seems it's not true. :cry

I think Vaughn's sweet, although slightly clueless at times. He should be given an award for living with that voice. I've only heard Lauren speak a few times and already I hate it.

I don't understand why Americans drink tea anyway when they spend most of their time making fun of us for drinking it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:14 pm 
heya kittens,

There does seem to be a very nasty trend amongst the women on Alias...maybe its something in the water?

Personally, the only two female characters that I give a damn about are Syd and Irina...both actresses are absolutely brilliant I wish that Lena Olin had agreed to be in Season 3 because she is fantastic. I agree, I think she loves Jack and Syd.

For me the strengths of Alias have always been in the amazing acting of Jennifer Garner and her male supporting actors, Victor Garber (awesome!), Ron Rifkin and Michael Vartan so they could kill off all the evil females and I'd still enjoy watching.

-Alcy

Spike: "C'mon vampires...grrr...nasty! Let's annihilate them for justice and for puppies and Christmas...right? Let's fight that evil! Let's kill something! Oh, come on!" - Doomed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:11 pm 
I used to love this show, up to this season. The Lauren/Sydney/Vaughn triangle has got to go. I hated the two year missing thing. Needless to say, I'm not a happy camper with this show.

And your right, the dynamic of VG, JG, and LO was just so good last season. I wanted to like Lauren, I really did. Lena has got to come back, she is so hot.:drool

Yes they need to get some more female characters that are not evil...and can act. Cuz some of the females now (evil reed mom, i'm looking at you) not good, just not good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:43 pm 
Oh right. Lena Olin.

:thud

That woman is so incredibly sexy. And so is Irina Derevko. Every little nuance of her character was (and is again, please!) fascinating.

Which is why Lauren is such a disappointment. I'm hoping that this won't make me hate everything else Melissa George does, but it's looking that way. Slightly-Ambigious Lauren was way better than this idiotic one who makes evil phonecalls from WITHIN the CIA and who can't even control her facial expressions. Ugh. She's horrible.

Vaughn? Constipated? Ahhhhh must be the forehead wrinkle!

Ah well, I'm smitten with him so I don't notice it. ;) Apologies to Marshall, but I had to flip over early to April for Vaughn month. Yum.

This is one of the pics for April. Mmmmmm. One of the sexiest scenes ever.

Whoa, check out the hotness of these two!

:sigh I really hope that I don't end up loathing Vaughn.

And oh! Sloane! No way will he die. Nuh-uh. Ron Rifkin just rocks too much.

As for female characters, RealFrancie was slightly boring, but sweet and normal. I really missed her when I rewatched season one. Frallison was too irritating with her "no one's watching so I can look evil" looks. Juuuuuuuust like Lauren.

Oh yeah. Two more words. Isabella Rossellini. :grin

Edited by: Cicca  at: 3/30/04 11:24 pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:09 am 
Sorry, Cicca: as boys go, Bradley Cooper "Will" was just so much more my type (What can I say? Obviously a minority view among Alias fans and/or former fans :happy )

Yeah, Isabella Rossellini has been about the one redeemable aspect of the show this season (bought her as Irina's sister and Sydney's "Don't mess w/ my niece!" aunt. Also in love w/ Jack? Not so much.)

But God, Lena Olin! That scene where she did the (typically Syd-style) techno Night Club entrance? :thud (Hello, this is GG's raging-hormones Spring Fever speaking again---expect typos or worse as blood blows . . . I mean flows away from brain! :eyebrow )

I do still love Jennifer Garner. However, I wish the show would give her more to do, emotionally, than just agonize over Vaughn (she's gonna get Ex-Lax Face too if she keeps that up ;) ). Physically, though, no one since Lucy Lawless' doubles :lol has looked as good in action!

GG Not long ago, on "The L Word" thread I think (apropos of something or other), I suggested that I think JG could do a helluva job in a (why the heck not?) "Martina Navratilova Story" movie. Cut her hair, put her in funky glasses again, and let her slam away! :banana (Girl-on-girl action? Oh, I guess historical accuracy would just about require that wouldn't it? Well, if you insist.:p ) Out

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:45 am 
So is this just a general complain about Alias thread or can anyone say anything in regards to the show here?

Time flies by when the Devil drives.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:24 am 
Oh, by all means say anything about anything. I was motivated by a complaint, but I wouldn't expect there to be nothing but complaints.

"The stories we tell - that's us explaining how we think the world works. Once we speak it, once we say it aloud, that makes it real for us - and real for everyone else who hears it too. When we tell a story, we invite people to visit our reality. We invite them to move in. Our stories are the reality we live in." - David Gerrold, The Martian Child

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:52 pm 
Ah....okie dokie. I love the show but Lauren is getting on my last nerve. I was a little annoyed at the whole "lovely agent is playing both sides and using her husband to do it" scenario....been there, done that already in the series IMHO. I know they're trying to draw parallels with Irina Derevko's affair with Sloane and Lauren's....what-the-hell-ever....with Sark but it's tired and Lauren can't quite pull it off. At least Irina could show some compassion and you truly got the impression that she at least loved Jack and Sydney on some level. Lauren just comes off as lifting her leg on Vaughn every time Syd comes near him. I think Syd should just kick her ass already.

Overall, though, I still love the way Alias tends to keep me guessing on some things (although these last couple of eps have had me wanting to smack a few choice characters upside the head for their cluelessness). I still love the show, just wish they'd get back on track and ditch the stereotypical female-spy-using-sex-as-a-weapon jazz. The thing I always loved about Syd is that she never actually slept with a target to get what she wanted (at least not as Syd...maybe as Julia Thorne). She may have used her body but it was all "Look but don't touch" right up to the point where she kicks your ass.

Could the writing for the last few eps have been better? Absolutely. Am I going to diss the show when so many others have and are doing FAR worse IMHO? Nah. JG rocks my socks, I miss Irina to death, I'm ready to worship badass Isabella Rosselini (she would SO have made a great dominatrix with her power duds), I am SO glad they dumped Will Tippin because he was annoying the shit outta me and I still adore Jack Bristow. Guess that makes me a nut. :eatme

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:38 am 
GG and Will sittin' in a tree! ;)

Ok, sorry. Very interesting! Bradley Cooper is cute, but I never (ever ever ever!) saw a relationship between he and Syd happening. Friends, sure. Chemistry? Nope. Personality and energy? Nope. Oh look at me ragging on Will! Sorry. I like him as the friend. I don't miss him much. I prefer Weiss as the buddy! Weiss rocks my world.

I agree that the show has a whole lot of room for improvement right now, but it would have to get a whole lot worse for me to stop watching. I mean really, I watched that other show to the bitter, lame end!

Isabella Rossellini. She was so exciting. I don't want to go to a Korean barbecue with Katya! No. Maybe if I can keep a safe distance from her.

(oh yeah, I :love Sark)

Irina. *shiver* That scene in the club where she plays with the bad Russian man. Ohhhh...

yeah, I'm posting more pics. I can't help myself! :grin

Luscious Irina at the club

Oh, talk to the hand! I'm going to make screencaps of this one... I have to.

*thud*

Is there a name for Alias fans who live in hope for Irina's return? I'm desperate enough that even those little crumbs like the mention of her name make me happy.

And there must be a name for people who hope Lauren falls into a tarpit really really soon. Cause I'm one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:31 am 
I saw the possibility of a Syd/Will relationship in the first couple of episodes but then it was clear they were better as friends. I always wanted him to get together with Francie. Phase One was so cruel, giving and then snatching away.

Over at sd-1 there are Alias fans for everything. Lena's return is desperately hoped for by many but in particular, I think, the Drunken Toasters (J/I shippers), Irina's Russian Mafia and the Raving Lenatics. As well as everyone who donated to bringbacklena.com!

And the people who hate Lauren are the CAVoLRS (Citizens against the Vaughnification of Lauren Reed.) They currently have 107 threads talking about how much they hate her and want her to die. Although again I'm sure that desire is held by many.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:11 pm 
Cicca, the key phrase was "as boys go". If I have a choice of Lena Olin, each and every one of 'em better scram from GG's "tree"! :eyebrow (Thanks for the pics!!! :drool )

Boy, seeing all you well-connected Alias fans, citing all the various factions, that's a fandom I'm glad I steered clear of (like I have any *more* time to waste? ;) )

GG Re Weiss: I swear, one ep (late S1?) I thought I heard him allude to being gay---but then I never heard anything like that again. Did I imagine that? :confused Out

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:56 pm 
I don't know about anything serious but he's joked about it a couple of times. In The Getaway when Vaughn had a fight with Sydney, thereby setting the tone of the conversation as being about relationships, Weiss and Vaughn went on to say:

Weiss: I share my fights with you!

Vaughn: No you don't.

Weiss: Yeah, I do. Remember when Alan pissed in the living room?

Vaughn: That was your dog.

Weiss: Yeah, but I was angry about it and I let you know how upset I was.

And then there was a couple of episodes later in Double Agent when he struck out with Christine Phillips:

Christine: I have a boyfriend.

Weiss: Yeah, me too.

So I'd say he's just a fun guy who likes to joke about himself, and I am far too obsessed with this show for my own good!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:59 pm 
I :love Weiss.

And yes, I :thud :drool :bow :luv Irina.

How much, you ask? heheheheheh

I went grabbing. Screengrabbing. Not Irina-grabbing. Alas!

So how much do I love Irina....

This much.

And this much.

And oh sweet goddess, this much!

It's kinda disappointing how grainy these are. The new Xena dvds have spoiled me!

Oh yea, GG watch yourself in that Irina tree cause I can't promise I'll be nice! ;)

Edited by: Cicca  at: 3/31/04 11:00 pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:37 am 
:thud Cicca you know how to make my morning! :eatme (gave me ants in my pants...)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:50 am 
Yeah, those are some nice morning pick-me-ups aren't they?

Lena Olin and Amber are pretty much on par with each other in their ability to make me thud. Although Lena's usually more outrageously sexy.

Jennifer Garner is really cute and beautiful, but she doesn't usually make me thud. Once in a while, yeah. And I should mention her new movie in case some of you haven't seen teh ads. 13 Going On 30. Probably fairly formulaic and derivative, but sooooo? It looks really cute! And JG seems to be excellent at comedy. Then combine that with the fact that she's going to film her Elektra movie this summer... Elektra does make me thud. Big time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:57 pm 
Cicca, you are really turning into my hero! (You may play w/ Irina/Lena when I'm done. In an eternity or three. :devilish )

Re: Jennifer Garner. You've put your finger on what's wrong w/ this season (of Alias). Far and away, JG's most appealing physical feature (OK, some might argue her bod ;) ) are those adorable dimples when she smiles :heart . . . which she's done almost none of this season! :happy (Instead, way too much matching Vaughn Ex-Lax for Ex-Lax :sigh ) Putting her in more comedy is definitely the ticket (besides butt-kicking, that is :) ) to get me to watch her.

GG Just think: LO is 6 years older (48, last week. Happy B-day Lena!) than I am. See how HOT some of us get as we age? {Hormone-induced hypno-voice "Come to Butthead . . . I mean GG!"} :p Out

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:24 pm 
heehee!

Yeah, Lena Olin is proof that older women can be hot. I think her age is part of what makes her so sexy. And you can have Lena while I play with Irina. ;)

I agree that part of what we've been missing is at least a few moments of happiness for Syd. What a miserable year she's had! I'm also just praying that they don't go down that "they stole my eggs and made an evil baby" road. They seem to have flirted with the idea and I hope it went down in flames. Syd with a flame-thrower. That rocked.

I really can see why people think Vaughn needs ex-lax, but he's still hot to me. Yum yum yum! And when he speaks french.... *shiver* Vaughn speaking french and Irina speaking anything. JG is actually really good with the languages. Really convincing unless you actually know the language she's speaking. Her italian sounded a little forced to me. Oh well! Still convincing.

So, anyone have any ideas on who should play the third Derevko sister? Assuming we ever get to meet her. I'm praying that it's not Peggy Lipton. Ugh. Any more sexy Scandinavian women? Connie Nielsen's awfully sexy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:28 pm 
The 3rd Derevko sister? Catherine Deneuve hands down :heart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:06 pm 
ooh yes! She'd be good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:27 pm 
Lawdy: a 3rd Derevko sister? Played by Catherine Deneuve? You guys really are trying to give Ol' Spring A-fever'd GG a heart attack arentcha? :thud

Ooo la la: Michel Vartan's francaise is tres bien. But that's au naturel, no? (Like mine. Not!!!) JG's languages sound good enough for her to do Martina's Czech (she'll have to work on dropping her pitch a bit though). Or is no one else w/ me on my little brainstorm? ;)

GG Yeah, Sydney needs evil offspring . . . like Gabrielle needed Hope. :grin Out

{Come to GG} . . . dang nabbit, it's gotta work eventually. :sigh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:58 am 
heehee I'm sure JG could do your Martina thing! Why not? Real People in movies are always played by people who are hotter than them. Why is that?

And might I edit to ask if anyone else is finally digging the show this season? The last couple of weeks have just grabbed me. As a whole, the season could have been SO much better, but it has been interesting for me lately. Such a relief!

I'm very pleased with next week's previews! And I'm crossing my fingers for the finale.

Edited by: Cicca  at: 4/26/04 12:05 am

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:46 pm 
It's definitely improved the last few weeks, but there have still been significant credibility problems, IMO. Sloane executed? As if. The teaser where Lauren tells Vaughn it "wasn't all a lie?" Did anybody buy that for a *fraction* of a second? Hardly. (Ergo, ditto w/ the trucker and the phone)

Still not exactly sure where Sloane's loyalties lie . . . which is what makes him so compelling a character. But Vaughn's dad is suddenly revealed to have been a "Rimbaldian"? I don't think so.

Anyone else tired of

1) Rimbaldi, in general: messiah of a world-wide band of secret gnostics (for 500 years)?

2) Conspiratorial groups/individuals known as "The ______"? (The Passenger, The Covenant, The Trust, The Man, The Alliance---I'm sure there have been others)

At least Isabella's coming back! :applause (She's not Lena Olin, but . . . ;) )

GG Could somebody help me out? A loud train passed outside my window at exactly this moment: when Sydney found her sister (if that's who she is), she said "You work for ______ intelligence?" What nation was in that blank? Out

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:06 am 
Yep, I always get confused when people clamor for more Rambaldi stuff. That's when the show first made me stop and scratch my head. Wasn't so sure about all the mumbo-jumbo mystic crap. This is Alias, not the X-Files!

The [insert bad guy/group name here] thing is a little dull, but with no SD-6 there has to be something for the CIA to be doing. Right? :grin What does the real CIA do? Paperwork?

Lauren and her crap about the marriage did have me wondering for a bit. I was sure she was lying (because I hate her!) but I wondered if there might be a glimmer of truth. Uh, NO!

Ditto on the Isabella hooray. She was really fun when she was first on. She doesn't make me a limp puddle like Lena does, but hey! I still need to rent Romeo Is Bleeding. Boy, do I!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:19 am 
I haven't seen the episode but I believe the sister works for Argentine Intelligence.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:45 pm 
Yep, that's what she said.

And try to see it! Interesting ep.