The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: I hated, hated, HATED this movie!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:18 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Last week ( I was going to post about it then, but I forgot, until now ) I went to see Lake House. I didn't think it was all that great, and aside from the novelty of being able to contrast it against Watty's Common Areas, (Couldn't even hold a candle to that fic... ) it was a snooze fest. Keanue (spelling? Like I really give a ((insert appropriately vulgar word here)) so can not act IMO and the only redeeming aspect was that Sandra Bullock was completely HOT! (But then again I could watch her in a hemorrhoid commercial and be completely transfixed. ) *sigh* oh well... waste of 20 of my hard earned dollars.

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:44 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 8
I haven't seen "Lake House", but from the descriptions I've read about the film's concept (lovers "out-of-synch" in time), one would do better to seek out the magnificent "Portrait of Jennie", a 1948 film starring Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones on basically the same theme, but which happens to be a true classic, with a wonderful musical score based on the works of Debussy.

Try it, you'll like it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:03 pm 
3. Flaming O

I hated Saw and it's sequel, Saw 2 (which I only watched a little). I have nothing against a good horror movie, but that kind of torture is just too much for me. Gave me the creeps. Yikes!

"It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll, I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." - Invictus by William Ernest Henley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:58 pm 
5. Willowhand

Well, I have a new movie to add to my list. Sin City. After hearing much praise about the movie, I rented it. I got through the first twenty minutes and shut the DVD off. I don't care to see anymore. I just couldn't stand the plot, the cinematography, the whole nine yards. Ugh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:03 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 1
Cannibal Holocaust. The title pretty much says it all.

House of a thousand corpses. Bleh.

Pulp Fiction. Yawn.

I like blood and guts as much as the next girl, but those first two just took the proverbial. The first actually made me gag. I had to leave the room before it was finished.

ETA: Hulk. The only good part of this movie was the part where he leaps from cliff to cliff (or something). My best friend and I started saying "Wheeeeee!" loudly each time and sniggering at the dirty looks we got.

Oh, and the movie "Do I Love You." Utter tripe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:19 pm 
8. Vixen

Small Plan: Ok I saw this movie about *scratches head* 10 years ago but it is still stuck in my head as the worst movie I have ever seen, so much so I can still remember the plot, I supose atleast there was one. Dull Dull Dul and it kept doing a random shot with a raven on a field covered in snow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:38 pm 

2001: A Space Odessey. This film annoyed me for several reasons. One was the fact that there's absolutely nothing on the first ten minutes of tape, which made me think my TV was broken. The second was the fact that it moved sooo slooooowly. Okay, monkeys, we get it! The obelisk makes them smart enough to use weapons...power corrupts...blah blah blah get ON with it!
The final reason was that it seemed to be two different films tacked together. One was your basic thriller all-powerful-computer-goes-nuts type, which took about twenty minutes, and was completely unrelated to the other five centuries of film about this mysterious artefact that sends the dude flying through a rainbow to a house (I was barely paying attention by this point so the symbolism/metaphor/whatever was totally lost on me) where he goes to bed and dies. Lovely.

Ugh. The guy in the shop even tried to warn me. I feel dumb.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:21 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I think watching that film is a rite of passage or something. Many people have seen it, but very few like it. Or understand it. I was told to read the book.... it's much better and makes a lot more sense. Haven't done that yet, but it's on my list.

One thing I have to commend the film (actually, the book) about is the treatment of long-term space living and general space-stuff (like on the moon). For being made in 1968 (one year before we even walked on the moon), they were pretty spot on. But other than that, it is a deeply weird film (I'm not a Kubrik fan, so that makes it worse for me). I don't recommend it, except for making fun of it in a group of people (a la MST3K).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:22 am 
4. Extra Flamey

I like the beginning and end of 2001 but the rest just drags. I realise that they wanted to be realistic but showing how much long journeys in space are going to be really really boring was a little too much. :sleep

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:45 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Hmmmmm...I think we have a bit of a "generational" problem here.

For some of our younger posters, I know that a picture like "2001" can seem "slow", even painfully so, compared to the noisy, furiously paced "action" films of today. Back in 1968, people were more willing to be patient and watch a movie from beginning to end attentively. Remember, there was no home video, no chance to see a film in its integral, truly "cinematic" form except in a movie theatre.

Now then, let's consider some points that the younger generation might not be conscious of:

1. The Visual Aspect -- In this current age of "Star Wars" and the many other film and TV sci-fi franchises that have followed in its wake, it is too easy to forget just how stunning the visual effects/Spfx that Douglas Trumbull came up with for the film were in 1968. I was supremely lucky in that I saw the film for the first time in its original Cinerama format and I tell you all, I and most of the rest of the audience sat there with our jaws dropped wide open. Where today's generation can only see a boring "slow" sequence, my generation was astonished at the sheer gorgeousness of the leisurely trip from the earth to the space station, and from the space station to the moon. The same is true for all of the other sequences in the film--the current "cgi/space-saturated" generation simply cannot appreciate how innovative and startling these visuals were in 1968 (OK, I'll admit to one notable exception: the infamous "trip" sequence at the end of the film, which was much criticized at the time as being overlong [frankly, it is], and also for being much more like an LSD-induced "trip" than anything to do with sci-fi ;-) ).

2. The Musical Aspects -- again, it is difficult to overstate the impact this had in 1968. As a classical musician, I was familiar with the music of Richard Strauss, yet seeing the famous sunrise accompanied by the 3-note brass motif, pounding drums and pealing organ of the opening of "Also sprach Zarathustra" was absolutely breath-taking the first time. The same holds true for most of the other sequences: the famous use of Johann Strauss' "Blue Danube" for the space voyage (no one had ever thought of such a use for this music before!), as well as the use of modern (i.e. contemporary [in 1968]) classical composers such as Khatchaturian and Ligeti. You can't imagine how amusing it was to watch people of all ages walk into record stores for years after the film's release asking the clerks "Do you have 'Also sprak whatisname?' " :lol

3. The Thematic Aspect -- to be sure, the idea that human evolution was/has been/still is directed from an advanced alien source is not new, and it wasn't new in 1968. Still, the handling of this theme in the film was new and original at the time, and for many people who were not sci-fi fans, "2001" was their first exposure to the idea, which was a startling one at the time (if you think "Fundies" are bad today..... ;-) ).

Anyway, I hope I have been able to offer some perspective on this subject from the point of view of someone who has past the half-century mark. I think I'll go and watch my laserdisc of the film...... :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:07 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure its necessarily an age thing. I'm old and I was so bored I wanted to pinch myself to make sure I hadn't lost consciousness. I just think there's a fine line between beautiful artistry and pretentious sleepfest and I'm not sure Kubrick got it quite right. ;-) Of course, it could just be that I'm bitter because I just didn't get it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:10 pm 
3. Flaming O

i think that 2001 is a right of passage or punishment
i saw it and was just as lost as everyone else in the world

dawnmyster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:53 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

The more I watch is the more I hate the new War of the Worlds, maybe it is just because I really don't like Tom Cruise, but the ending of that movie is just plain horrible.

About 2001, I watched for the first time when I was sixteen and absolutley loved it, I like Kubricks style of drawing everything out, it seems to make the ending that much more gratefying to me. There are definatly many extremely slow parts, but visually it is a masterpiece.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:58 am 

Is it me, or does the end of War of the World seem like a cop-out?
Spoiler:
Surely if these martians have been around long enough to plant big tripod thingies underground, they would have figured out that they're allergic to water?
Stupid film. I liked Dakota Whatsherface though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:43 pm 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 3
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby...oh my GOD how i hated this movie! i got dragged there by my mother (and no one refuses to go see a movie with their mother when she goes to the theatre twice a year!) and was miserable the entire (painfully drawn-out) time! the humor never really dug beneath the surface, much to the discredit of some of the SNL alums appearing in the film. i mean, i know i shouldn't have expected much from a film making fun of NASCAR, but i did expect a little more than what i got. *sighs* i lost two hours out of my lifespan...who do i sue for that?

Dame

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:14 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Not a movie, but a tv show and I just have to get it off my chest. I just tried watching an episode of ´what about Brian´ and it has got to be the most boring show I´ve seen since the invention of boring shows. I am unreasonably annoyed by the exaggerated cute baby bambi bunny voices of the little girls, the incessant non stop yapping about boy trouble the women engage in, the incessant yapping about girl trouble the men engage in, the fact that a very plain looking chinless boring guy with monkey ears is married to a beautiful woman and would have an affair with another beautiful woman, because clearly beautiful women would be falling all over themselves to sleep with plain looking chinless boring guys with monkey ears instead of each other. There, I feel better now, I may watch it again just so I can bitch some more for no good reason.

Mrs. Cartman: Well, I know a little kitty who is sleeping with Mommy tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:21 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Date Movie...ewww

ewww. It was just bad, and twice as bad because Aly was in it, and I hate to watch her act stupid. ewww

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:17 pm 
3. Flaming O

mel gibson's rendition of Hamlet.

Shakespear (i could just stop there but..)

stupid acting stupid interpertations

And you cannot freakin cut into rock with a sword useing you hands on the darn blade and not get cut!

the only good thing that came out of it was the whole Ap Lit class was sitting around pointing out all the obvious faliures that this film was.

You must first be who you really are, then do what you need to do, in order to have what you want. – Margaret Young

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:31 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Just watched the covenant a couple of days ago,i dont normally watch anything to do with witchcraft,paganism etc because i tend to pick the movie apart and point out all of the very fake offensive material but i went into this with an open mind thinking it might it least be a good thriller type of movie...NOT !! Dont waste your time or your money it was the worst movie ive seen since blair witch!!
Tara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:12 am 
3. Flaming O

Hemiola wrote:
Hmmmmm...I think we have a bit of a "generational" problem here.

For some of our younger posters, I know that a picture like "2001" can seem "slow", even painfully so, compared to the noisy, furiously paced "action" films of today. Back in 1968, people were more willing to be patient and watch a movie from beginning to end attentively. Remember, there was no home video, no chance to see a film in its integral, truly "cinematic" form except in a movie theatre.

REMEMBER, Back in 1968, people were on Acid!!! (that's LSD, a psychadelic drug that Totally Distorts one's sense of TIME). I think back then that This is the reason why so many liked "2001: A Spce Odessy", they went to see it high On Drugs! By the time I saw it for the first time, I had stopped taking drugs (Acid included) and so my sense of TIME was as normal as anyone else's. So with "2001: A Spce Odessy"' I was just about never so bored in my life! I started hitting the fast-forward-play button about a half-hour into the movie and watched the rest like that. Oh, And also did that with "Eyes Wide Shut".
Others I hate:
Someone mentioned "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover" JUST AWFUL!
The 2nd & 3rd Matrix Movies (such a let down after the 1st one... the only good thing is that there were more of Hugo Weiving's character)
Flashdance (I turned That one Off! Lily Tomlin's rendition/skit of this movie was much better)
Dances With Wolves (Except for Mary Mc Donnell who I Love!)
A.I. Artificail Intelligence (The movie that WOULDN'T END!)
>>
Then there were those "Artsy" movies that we are supposed to see & Like so we can show how avant-guard we are: I Hated:
Kafka (and I Love Jeremy Irons)
Naked Lunch (and I Love Peter Weller)
Barton Fink (and I Love John Goodman)

Last edited by GoodWitch on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:27 am 
10. Troll Hammer

I can assure you that during the 1960s (and any other decade), this writer was never into any kind of "recreational" drugs (not even tobacco!). So there! **harrumph**

I watched and enjoyed a good deal of "2001" in 1968, although I found the infamous "trip" segment to be waaaaaay overlong. Nonethelss the cinematography and special effects were startlingly good (for the time), and for me, as a classical musician, the use of such gems as compositions by Richard Strauss, Johann Strauss, Khatchaturian, and Ligeti was a real treat.

Besides, a lot of what was obscure and incomprehensible in the movie was made clear in Clarke's novelized version. ;-)

If you want to talk about movies that are waaaaay over-rated, the works of Ingmar Bergman (with a couple of exceptions) come readily to mind.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:08 am 
3. Flaming O

Hemiola wrote:
I can assure you that during the 1960s (and any other decade), this writer was never into any kind of "recreational" drugs (not even tobacco!). So there! **harrumph**

I was actually refering to the drugged out who went to see the movie... Many folks that I know (and know Of) went to see it while tripping their brains out and that it was the Drugs that helped the Viewers of the movie not be bored with the overlong aspects of the movie. Of course I know that Not Everyone who went to see it was on drugs...
So I humbly appologize to the Viewers who were straight (not on psychadelics) who went to and enjoyed this movie if I appeared to besmirch your credibility.
Bottom line, and the point I am taking too long to make, is that I was no longer a druggie by the time I watched 2001; I watched it Straight (Not High) and thus enjoyed it Much Less than I probably would have if I Was high and my Time Sense was distorted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:47 am 
2. Floating Rose

Ok so the trip to the video store around the cornor I rented this movie called tick tock wich was labled as a lesbian movie an I had never heard of it before so we rented it an OMG I wish I had not of not only was it trite but the supposed lesbian charactors were horrendous an wow what a non impressive tribute to the worst interpation of the dead lesbian cliche I have ever seen ...... Yes it was really that bad I watched the whole think hopeing it would pick up an thinking to myself it really can't be this bad but it never did an yet it somehow managed to get worse lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:45 pm 
3. Flaming O

I couldn't find another thread like this that had been updated recently so I'm posting here. Don't ban me for bumping up a 7/8 month old thread, please?

The Holiday. They said it was 'better than Love Actually' and yet it was slightly better than the toilet paper ripping and your fingers going through when wiping your ass.

Technically a tv show but, the most recent seasons of the Simpsons have never bored me more. They are so Family Guy/Futurama-esque that it hurt my brain to watch. Where are the original plots? When is the scatterbrain-ed-ness gonna stop?

Oh and before I forget, the last two Harry Potter movies have never made me more bitter about certain Hollywood retarded screenwriters; until now. I feel like Joss Whedon must of felt after Buffy the Movie, except for I'm not the writer and J.K Rowling doesn't give a shit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:30 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Okay, did anyone else think "Across the Universe" was horrible? I had high hopes for this movie, cause come on, you can't go wrong with the Beatles, right? The music was great, the movie stunk. The whacked out visuals made no sense, and it was as if they were thinking. "What's the most ridiculous thing we can do to confuse our audience?" Ugh, my god. I want those two hours back.

Kisses and Gay Love
"I like my buttons, curvy." - Willow, Neverland, by Easiersaid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:37 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

I think I'm the only person here that HATED I am legend ! I thought it was slow and depressing and had a bad killing a dog seen (just a warning to people who haven't seen it)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:02 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Nope, you're not alone. I thought I Am Legend was boring and stupid and predictable and pointless and....I could really have done without the dog getting killed, too.

I recently saw The Brave One and I was totally and completely disappointed in the ending. Toward the end, I actually laughed and said to the TV - "after all that, you watch, he's gonna let her off the hook." I didn't believe he really would, though, and when he did, I was sooooo frustrated. Not because I thought he shouldn't have done it so much as because it just reeked of the kind of contrived "feel-good" endings that I personally despise. I wanted to end the movie with all kinds of conflicting emotions. I wanted the movie to leave me wondering what I would do in that situation. I wanted to have a lot to chew on. I didn't want this to be some Charles Bronson movie, but it totally was.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:06 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

I liked No country for old men up to the ending I didn't think the end was justified.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:01 pm 
28. Com...plete

Karmah wrote:
Ok so the trip to the video store around the cornor I rented this movie called tick tock wich was labled as a lesbian movie an I had never heard of it before so we rented it an OMG I wish I had not of not only was it trite but the supposed lesbian charactors were horrendous an wow what a non impressive tribute to the worst interpation of the dead lesbian cliche I have ever seen ...... Yes it was really that bad I watched the whole think hopeing it would pick up an thinking to myself it really can't be this bad but it never did an yet it somehow managed to get worse lol

Obviously you haven't seen The Fox with Sandy Dennis...

Last edited by umgaynow on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:35 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

have you ever seen Personal best (YUCK!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next