The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Oscars
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:37 pm 
I'm with Ruth on Catherine Zeta Jones, I just can't watch her without thinking of The Darling Buds of May, but I loved Chicago and am pleased it won the best picture.

Michael Moore :bow great writer, great documentary maker

Roman Polanski - well, he may make good films, but I'm really uncomfortable with the award

As for Eminem winning best song, well lets just say U2 were robbed

If Mrs Whitehouse saw this, she'd have our collective danglies in a Magi-Mix

Gus Hedges, Drop the Dead Donkey

Post subject: Oscars
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:41 pm 
Gangs of New York got nothing?! Thats horrible. That movie was the best and I love it. I don't see how Chicago can even compare with that. Especially on Costumes and Best Actor. And I've never even heard of that Spirited Away movie.

Catherine ZJ was great though. I'm so glad she got the Oscar. i couldn't belive it was her first though. She seems as if shes been around forever and would have won many Oscars by now.

~Erica

Post subject: Re: Oscars
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 5:09 pm 
Michael Moore won at the Independent Spirit awards the night before and made the same speech, word for word. The orchestra did partially drown out his last line, which is that any president that has both the Pope and the Dixie Chicks against him is doomed. I loved the speech both times.

I was pleased if surprised by a lot of the awards this year, very happy for Chris Cooper and Adrien Brody (loved that kiss too) and since I thought anybody in the Actress category would have been a deserving winner it was fine that they gave it to Nicole. I'm sure we could fill a whole thread with the pros and cons of giving an award to Roman Polanksi. My first choice was Gangs of New York, but Polanski was my second choice.

Steve Martin was very funny, but way to smart for the room. They didn't even get the downloading joke.

"And each time I feel like this inside, there's one thing I wanna know:

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding? -Elvis Costello

Post subject: Re: Oscars (Michael Moore)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:30 pm 
I saw "Bowling for Columbine" a couple of weeks ago and I just have to say it is completely brilliant. Now, FWIW:

Michael had quite a bit more to say in his press room interview after the award ceremony. If you have a fast connection, you can access it here. A few of the better news services (such as the BBC) have included quotes from this interview in their articles. A full transcript would be nice, but I haven't come across one of those as yet. He was able to get his points across a lot better than the 45 second grab he was permitted onstage.

"They fed me behind bars from an iron pan till one night I felt that I was Bagheera--the Panther-- and no man's plaything, and I broke the silly lock with one blow of my paw and came away." Rudyard Kipling

Post subject: The Oscars
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:53 pm 
Yeah, I think this year's ceremony was really special. Glad I've watched. And the jokes were really funny this time, for a change!

I didn't have a very strong opinion about CZJ, but when I've watched 'Chicago', I thought she was the best about it. The woman is perfect in her role. And if I was ever to get pregnant, I'd like to look exactly like that! :drool I sure wished that Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep had won something, but this year was full of deserving people, lucky us.

I haven't watched 'Bowling for Columbine', yet, but I used to love watching Michael Moore's 'The Awful Truth', so I know the guy and am sure he deserved the award.

And yes, the award for best adapted screenplay was really a surprise in my opinion, because beside the incredible job done by David Hare, there was 'Adaptation', histerically original. And the fact that they credited Donald along with Charlie... Just too funny. But, I haven't really read the book that 'The Pianist' was based on, so...

And as a side note, I'm not that big a fan of Caetano Veloso nowadays (political issues...), but, for the time I loved the guy, it was nice to see him there. Now, his sister, Maria Bethânia, would have been a smash hit, I'm sure...

Post subject: The Oscars
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:01 pm 
think this year's ceremony was really special. Glad I've watched. And the jokes were really funny this time, for a change!

I didn't have a very strong opinion about CZJ, but when I've watched 'Chicago', I thought she was the best about it. The woman is perfect in her role. And if I was ever to get pregnant, I'd like to look exactly like that! :drool I sure wished that Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep had won something, but this year was full of deserving people, lucky us.

I haven't watched 'Bowling for Columbine', yet, but I used to love watching Michael Moore's 'The Awful Truth', so I know the guy and am sure he deserved the award.

And yes, the award for best adapted screenplay was really a surprise in my opinion, because beside the incredible job done by David Hare, there was 'Adaptation', histerically original. And the fact that they credited Donald along with Charlie... Just too funny. But, I haven't really read the book that 'The Pianist' was based on, so...

And as a side note, I'm not that big a fan of Caetano Veloso nowadays (political issues...), but, for the time I loved the guy, it was nice to see him there. Now, his sister, Maria Bethânia, would have been a smash hit, I'm sure...

Post subject: Nicole Kidman
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:04 pm 
i'm just very glad that Nicole Kidman won...*sigh* i've been wanting it for her for like, forever. :)

Post subject: the Oscars
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:34 pm 
I was very happy for Nicole Kidman too. She was just fantastic in The Hours. Someday I would love Salma Hayek to win. She is so beautiful and seems very nice. Nicole Kidman did deserve it though.

I was a little surpised by Catherine ZJ. I really don't like her. I saw a parody of her stupid cell phone commercials on Mad TV a while ago and now every time I see her I start laughing. I really like Queen Latifa and was secretly routing for her.

Bagheera--thanks for the link to Michael Moore's comments with the press. I just love him and am glad he used the large audience of the Oscars to voice his opinion. More people in the public eye should let their opinions and dissent be known.

Post subject: Re: the Oscars
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:41 pm 
OK, I love Nicole Kidman and I'll never begrudge her the win (especially since it seems this award was partly for Moulin Rouge as well), but I can't help the feeling that Julianne Moore has been robbed here. I saw all the movies that all these actresses were nominated for, and nothing I've seen in years compares to her performance in "Far From Heaven" for me. It still haunts me, weeks later.

One day Julianne Moore will win the Oscar for something equally as amazing and I will cheer like crazy! :)

Also, of all the peace protests that were made during the ceremony, I thought the best one was Susan Sarandon -- no big speeches, no waving of fists or emotional tears... she just flashed a simple peace sign as she entered, and I thought it spoke volumes. She is one classy lady.

Indygo

Post subject: Re: w00
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:41 am 
The only part of the Oscars I saw was Queen Latifah and Catherine Zeta-Jones singing and I gotta say oh my god Queen Latifah is a hottie .

She is beautiful, sexy and talented to boot, reminds me of two other actresses I can think of . . . . and

Jill

~~~~~~~~

My Home Page

Willow - Say, you all didn't happen to do a bunch of drugs did ya?

Willow - I'm a blood sucking fiend, look at my outfit . . . .

Post subject: Re: w00
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:48 am 
It's been brought to my attention that I made some rather dismissive and offensive comments about one of the recipients of an Oscar. If what I said offended anyone, then I wholeheartedly apologise. I love the Welsh. You know, seeing as my grandmother was from a Welsh family.

So I'm just kicking it, I'm counting the days, I hardly can wait for us to hang out;
I'm really missing it in so many ways, I anticipate us making out...

Post subject: Re: And the Oscar Goes To...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:50 am 
I enjoyed the ceremony this year, it was pretty entertaining and it was a good thing that some of the participants made remarks about peace and what's happening in the world right now, Michael Moore showed some guts. :peace

And about the winners, well I liked Chicago a lot but I was hoping that The Hours could get the award and I would have liked it better if Diane Lane had gotten the Oscar, but Nicole did a great job as well.

Anyway, I'm happy for Almodovar :applause , his movie is great and it was a shame that the Spanish Academy didn't chose his film to represent Spain in the Oscar's this year on the foreign category, maybe next time.

Uxi

Edited by: uxic at: 3/25/03 9:24:31 am

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:58 am 
My problem with Michael Moore is that I watched the Independent Spirit Awards the day before and he gave the EXACT SAME SPEECH. Like word for word. I just wish between the two of them he could have mixed it up a little so it would have seemed more genuine and less canned, because when you see it for the second time in 2 days that is how it comes across.

The Independent Spirit Awards were fun to watch. John Waters hosted.

Autumn

-----------

BUFFY: I could wrestle naked in grease for a living and still be cleaner than after a shift at the Doublemeat.

WILLOW: Plus, I'd visit you at work every single day.

Edited by: AutumnT  at: 3/25/03 9:44:59 am

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:41 am 
Autumn any bon mots from John Waters? Anything at all? Please? :pray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:18 pm 
AutumnT didn't Michael Moore kind of slightly mess up his delivery of the speech at the Oscars? I was listening and his grammar was kind of off (and I realise mine is appalling).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:30 pm 
Yes, it was off, which was surprising since it was the same one... Much better at the other awards.

Actually my favorite moment at the Independent Spirit awards was Brittany Murphy who either was high or is just insanely stupid. She couldn't seem to understand that you actually have to read the nominations before opening the envelope. It took forever for her to figure that out and it really, REALLY made her look bad. Especially when she finally sort of figured it out, read one nominee, and tried to open the envelope again.

Autumn

-----------

BUFFY: I could wrestle naked in grease for a living and still be cleaner than after a shift at the Doublemeat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:35 pm 
I am really sorry I missed the Independent Spirit Awards, it is a much more casual fun atmosphere there. I haven't seen many movies this year though, so I probably would have known a lot of the winners.

And autumn that reminds me of Ally sheedy a few years ago with high art, she seemed hig at the ISA

-----------------------------------

Only 50 cents

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:35 pm 
I wasn't sure if Brittany Murphy was high or just didn't have a clue - she did say she'd never done this before, and she wasn't slurring her words or anything. It was a trainwreck, but you know, an entertaining trainwreck with no one getting hurt and a really cute conductor.

I thought the best part of the show was the introduction of the five nominated films, which were all done as songs, very witty songs, complete with the follow the dot icon so that people could sing along. Lesley Anne Warren did a great job, Thora Birch looked great but can't sing, and Jennifer Tilly was great poking fun at her career and shaming people into singing along with her. Far From Heaven won Film, Director, Actress and Actor (or maybe supporting for Quaid, I can't remember).

John Waters was very good, and the whole show was far more fun that the Oscars. Hopefully they'll show it again.

"And each time I feel like this inside, there's one thing I wanna know:

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding? -Elvis Costello

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 5:49 pm 
Quote:
I wasn't sure if Brittany Murphy was high or just didn't have a clue - she did say she'd never done this before,
A c'mon even monkeys know that you read the nominees off the freaking teleprompter and then open the envelope. I can't grant her ignorance because you can't tell me that an actress has never watched awards shows before and doesn't know how it works.

Autumn

-----------

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:24 pm 
I think the best comment of the night was steve martin's comment after Moore's speech. :rofl

Post subject: re:and the oscar goes to..
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:30 am 
ya..steve martin had several humorous remarks..

but, i was rily happy that nicole won! she beat out that renee, by a "nose", and nicole truly deserves awards like that b/c she is such a wonderful actress

at every oscar awards there are ALWAYS pplz who deserve oscars but dont get it (meryl streep, juliane moore, john c. reilly, ed harris )..thats the way the world works

was anybody kinda glad that it wasnt as glitsy as usual (i know many of us mite not be happy with the fact that there is war at all.)..but it shows the worlds attention on impending matters

Post subject: Re: re:and the oscar goes to..
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:00 am 
I LOVED that Olivia de Haviland was there and introduced the former winners! Oh my gosh! That was perfect! Who cannot love Melanie Wilkies! She is one of the few golden age stars left and I was very pleased she was a part of the ceremony. Ditto for Kirk Douglass being co-presener with his son for Best Picture! Kirk still rocks!

I must be the only person that didn't like "Gangs of New York", I just thought the picture was really phoney and reeked of "we made it to win many awards" and Harvey Winsteins comment of knocking on every door to get Marty the oscar proved it in my opinion. Heck I also feel the same way about the U2 song. I found it bland and un-inspiring.

I was personally hoping "I Move On" from Chicago won, but still if anybody has seen 8 Mile and heard, "Loose Yourself", you will realise why the academy awarded Eminem the Oscar. It was a damn good song!

I was really really rooting for Nicole Kidman, as she is my all time favorite actress (and as I was born in Australia - I have a bias), plus I felt her winning would be the ultimate "fuck you" to Tom Cruise, the bastard! ;)

I didn't think she would win though, because her part in "The Hours" wasn't that big, heck both Julianne and Meryl had bigger parts. And Renee, was much better in Chicago and Julianne was much better in "Far From Heaven", though heck, I ain't complaining! I love the fact Nicole won!!!:applause

Post subject: Re: re:and the oscar goes to..
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:31 am 
I think the U2 song from "Gangs of New York" totally sucks, actually. I would rather listen to their less "worthy" film efforts such as "Elevation" or "Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me".

I am glad Nicole Kidman won as she is a great actress, but I didn't understand why she had such a huge fake nose in that film. Virginia Woolf's nose wasn't THAT big:

www.cygneis.com/woolf/vwgalry.htm

I do understand that Roman Polanski's crime was committed many years ago, but I don't think you can exactly say this is a case where he has paid his dues to society and

for that reason, deserves to be given a chance. He has not paid his dues to society because he has not served time for his crime, and took flight to avoid doing so. I realise that he had been through hell with the murder of his wife, but he ran away to avoid being sentenced after raping a 13-year-old girl, and whether that was 2 days ago or 25 years ago, he does not redeem himself by directing a film, however great that film is. Of course, if he was the best director, it is true that he should be given the best director Oscar, but I am with those who are disturbed by Michael Moore being booed and Roman Polanski being given a standing ovation. Do you know how that makes America look? The land of free speech, where to speak out against war is derided but a man convicted of a crime in the US under US law who ran away from its jursidiction is applauded because he has made a film.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:02 am 
hey ruth this may amuse you :) , I just saw a comedy skit about Chicago in which inbstead of singing 'All that Jazz' the czj impersonator sang 'All that cash!' :D

when the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then peace will guide the planets and love will steer the stars

Post subject: renee
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:43 am 
I kinda wanted renee to win :( Not only was she good acting-wise, but her part was very challenging in other ways. She had to take a crash course in dancing and had to sing and all that, and I think she handled a difficult part very well. I think they gave it to nicole kidman this year (who is great btw), because they didnt give it to her when she shouldve gotten it for both moulin rouge and the others. She was great that year and they snubbed her. I also didnt like the hours too much; it was a bit of a tearjerker. Julianne Moore was amazing in far from heaven, i'm glad she was nominated. For me it was between her and Renee, who has also been snubbed before for nurse betty (which I liked for its originality).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:33 pm 
I really agree with you, Renee Zellweger is being seriously overlooked and she works so hard...like in Bridget Jones's Diary - for a women from Texas to totally become Londons very own Bridget was a major feat ! and to become that accomplished for Chicago was amazing. I'm sure she'll get there in the end...if there's any justice.:whistle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:42 pm 
Quote:
hey ruth this may amuse you , I just saw a comedy skit about Chicago in which inbstead of singing 'All that Jazz' the czj impersonator sang 'All that cash!'

Oh that's priceless. No pun intended. Heh. Anyway, on the Renee thing, I loved her performance as Bridget Jones and thought she did a really great job with the accent. And also, as her background isn't in musical theatre, unlike CZJ and Richard Gere, I think it makes her achievements in Chicago all the more impressive.

Veronica: Why are you such a megabitch?

Heather: Because I can be.

Edited by: tommo at: 3/26/03 12:13:03 pm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:39 pm 
yeah I agree...renee did a great job :applause

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:57 pm 
Oh I loved Renee in Bridget Jones too! I always knew she was American, but her accent was so perfect that I had some doubts for a little while... :) Besides the fact that she looked almost exactly like I pictured Bridget when I read the book.

I was very happy with Nicole winning. She did a marvelous job in "The Hours" and she has been deserving an award like that for a while now. Funny thing is, I didn't use to like her. Don't ask me why, I have no clue. But I always admired her talent. And that accent... :drool There's just something about a female Aussie talking that melts me... ;) Ahem, yeah, back to Nicole. Now, I really like her. I think whatever it was about her that I disliked (maybe her husband?) was overturned by her talent. Besides, she's usually very nice in interviews and is looking better than ever. :grin

Nicole aside, I just think that LOTR should've gotten more awards, even if I liked the first one better.

--------------------------
"She had tasted Willow on her tongue, and she had worn Willow on her skin. There wasn't a shower in the world that could have washed that away." (Terra Firma, by Tulipp)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:34 pm 
Quote:
We've known about the Polanski case for over 20 years now. And what we know remains somewhat incomplete. The court documents were unsealed and are available on the Web, and reading them makes it clear that for the victim this was a case of rape. I believed Polanski's victim and her lawyer when they went on "Larry King Live" last month and said they agreed to the charge of "having sex with a minor" to spare her the trauma of having to testify in a rape case.

But let's not forget that the law was thwarted, not by Polanski, but by the judge in the case. The victim and her lawyer had reached an agreement with prosecutors and Polanski and his lawyer on a plea bargain when the judge took the unusual and unethical step of responding publicly (he held a press conference) to put pressure on him, and announcing he intended to give Polanski what would have amounted to a life sentence. Both Polanski's victim and her lawyer told King they were not surprised he skipped, and both placed the blame on the judge, who was more worried about his public image than in the disinterested application of law. If they were giving out prizes this week for maturity, this woman would get it.

Whatever, I don't really think that what the "victim" says has anything to do with the punishment of the crime. That's not the way the law works around here. He should have stood trial and if something had gone wrong in the trial he could have filed an appeal. WHatever.

Michael Moore did what is an Oscars tradition and I agree with what he said post oscars, everyone who voted for him knew he would do the thing that he did. No one to blame but themselves.

-----------------------------------

Only 50 cents

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next