The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The history of the Kitten
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:37 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 1
If it helps, Dr G, I thought you were Hellboy in your avatar. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:31 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 444
On Sunday I hope to have two interviews up. I have to be careful to pace myself, when I start into my research It's *very* emotional.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:26 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

EasierSaid wrote:
If it helps, Dr G, I thought you were Hellboy in your avatar.

Thank you, it does, my pride has been slightly saved...

Take your time Brad, I am looking forward to it! Thank you again for 'making me' take the trip down nostalgia lane, it's a fun ride...

Mrs. Cartman: Well, I know a little kitty who is sleeping with Mommy tonight.

Last edited by urnofosiris on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:04 am 
17. Mega-Witches

ping

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:12 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Rally wrote:
ping

Nice to see you

Last edited by drlloyd11 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:10 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

*___* holy cows I wish my brain was so much better at remembering things, so I could help. I joined the old board when I was really young, with no place to gather to gush about Will/Tara in portuguese I had to buckle up, open my online dictionary and better my english thru fanfics and the kitten chat late at night while hiding from my parents because the fear of them finding out I was gay or watched a show with gay character and cut me off tv. oO

To this day, The Kitten Board and the chat are my go to places when I am bored or feeling lonely. ^^/

I am not a big poster, more of a lurker. But I think I will be gushing about nostalgia here couple times. =P

Private 1th Class of The Kitten Army. Semper WillTara

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:40 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

It's good to see everyone still about. I used to come back to the Kitten fairly often after the heyday to read fanfiction, mostly out of curiousity and nostalgia. To echo the comments of another poster, I've not been that deeply involved in any fandom since (though I came fairly close to one other but not on the level of the Kitten). So many wonderful, witty, intelligent people called this place home. I've kept in touch with a few when able (Bob, Ro, for example) but mostly the ups and downs of real life carried me away.

I remember my near obsession with viewing those awesome screencaps, checking the Kitten almost hourly for spoilers and getting embroiled in my fair share of pretty heated discussions. Still, it was an awesome experience and I miss it often.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:12 pm 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 15
Looking forward to the next bit of history.

Somehow more interesting than the battle of such-and-such 1800 and-who-cares.

This is REAL history.

I gotta say, years later i'm still having trouble figuring out why some of the bad stuff happened.
What happened was obvious. why, notsomuch.

Got a philosophical question for the thread readers (If it's too OT say so and i'll shut up/edit)

Given that the KItten board grew to some extent out of the badness of season 6/7, do you think the awesomeness that we now have was worth the pain of season 6/7?

That is, if you could change the past and have a good or ordinary Buffy season 6/7 without the badness, but without the greatness of the Kittens, would you?

Or is what we have here worth the pain of THAT episode and the suck that followed?
Waddaya think? :glasses

My Story: Coming Home

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:56 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 3
"Every adversity, every failure, and every heartache, carries with it the Seed of an equivalent or greater benefit." - Napolean Hill

That said, I've found that when a pairing is truly amazing, even if they are handled poorly, the fans will find a community. And while the disappointments and heartbreak certainly brought us closer together as a group, I believe we would have found each other regardless.

Because what I remember first and foremost from those wild and crazy days of the Kitten zeitgeist is not the pain, the worry, or the fear. I remember the joy, the outpouring of creativity, the bloom of awareness of a larger world, an accepting world, a universe of love that was a simple login away.

This is a treasure to read. I wasn't around for the conception, and I drifted away during the toddler years, so this is a delight to remember and see the details new and old.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:05 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Hi Azirahael
You have no idea how much history is waiting for you. Some of these things are hard to imagine.
But even before the "badness" the Kitten was enormous
and there were several projects in the works (Wait till you see the yearbook, they were going to actually print it) that were stopped dead in the summer of 2001.
The kitten survived and grew, but as you will see that was far from certain.
It was a long long battle.
Azirahael wrote:
Looking forward to the next bit of history.

Somehow more interesting than the battle of such-and-such 1800 and-who-cares.

This is REAL history.

I gotta say, years later i'm still having trouble figuring out why some of the bad stuff happened.
What happened was obvious. why, notsomuch.

Got a philosophical question for the thread readers (If it's too OT say so and i'll shut up/edit)

Given that the KItten board grew to some extent out of the badness of season 6/7, do you think the awesomeness that we now have was worth the pain of season 6/7?

That is, if you could change the past and have a good or ordinary Buffy season 6/7 without the badness, but without the greatness of the Kittens, would you?

Or is what we have here worth the pain of THAT episode and the suck that followed?
Waddaya think?

Last edited by drlloyd11 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:36 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

On with the story..
One of the things that made the Kitten unique was how the entire emotional focus of the board was tied to the show.
Everyone was happy at once, or scared at once, or angry.
And this played out for 3 years.

Its also important to remember how at every second we assumed it was going to end at any moment. It was considered unlikely we would see them kiss or live together or even parent a child for a while.
After Amber had been in her second episode we were a bit more excited. One is a fluke, two is something else.
But When Tara botched the spell in "Goodbye, Iowa" on purpose, it was back to anxiety.
Typical comments I saw online
On the other hand if Tara sabatoged the spell to hid something from
Willow (such as being half Demon or some connection to the goddess
Thesbia) I could see this as driving a big wedge between them and causing them to
"break up" as some _rumors_ suggest might happen.

or

Another possiblility is that Tara's mother was killed by Thesbia, orthat the goddess caused her death in some way.

or she was a product of Willows wish in "Something Blue" or

I really believe Tara is Thesbia's daughter but She messed the demon spell up because she didn't want Willow to meet her mother
and that was a friendly GBLT board.
The mainline boards were less welcoming

I've been wondering about Willow a lot lately. Her curious
relationship with Tara is becoming increasingly worrisome (and not because of the whiff of bisexuality). When she first hooked up with Tara, Willow seemed to be the stronger personality. But now it seems
that Tara has been playing on Willow's weaknesses all along for some devious purpose.

and
the spoilers were brutal
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer/browse_thread/thread/8acffec4118b7b70/aa7ffa7d98415e34?hl=en&q=group:alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer+tara+evil#aa7ffa7d98415e34

EPISODE 21
-Airs in May
-Part 2 of 2
-Written by David Fury
-Someone dies in this episode and the Scooby gang attends their funeral. (Note: the funeral
may be in either this episode or 22. It's still vague at this
point) However, there is a twist to the death. It is somewhat of a fluke in the way we think one person will
die, but it turns out to be someone
completely different.
-Regardless of all the reports going around, Riley will NOT die.
Someone does die, but it's not Riley.

Since the the rest of the spoilers from the start of this post were dead on, so every confirmation made us more frantic.
The big bet was that it would be Tara to die or Oz (killed by Tara).
A reader will note the "Tara will die" spoiler was literally with the character her whole time. This was comforting...

and to temper our excitement, consider these that posts were sentiment common at the time.
Tara and Willow are friends. There is nothing more to their relationship
: and there never will be. [/]
and
[i]Oh we are never going to see more than a kiss this is network TV not HBO.

and in any event
For those of y'all who have seen the little demo Willow and Tara did just to
heighten the now-senseless and asinining rumor about their possible
homosexuality, let me deflate your Happy Balloons in the name of sanity.
THEY'RE NOT HAVING THE 'OTHER' RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE!T
Get it straight! Unless they start kissing and lay
under the covers with no nightshirt to call their own, it's still only a
working relationship and a deep friendship

and we felt Joss was with us
Guys, guys, guys! Tara is NOT evil. She literally CAN'T be evil.
If she turned out evil it would be a big flashing neon sign
beaming "GAY IS WRONG! GAY IS EVIL!" Which would be *so* wrong
and *so* not Joss.

In two years more we all saw all that .

There were so many patterns here, we just did not see them at the time.
So obvious now.

Post subject: Progress report for "The History of the Kitten"
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:45 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

I find that before I can post something like the old spoiler chats I get a fresh wave of old kittens to interview or I find a
bunch of old posts. So bear with me, this is going to take at least 3 more weeks. For the last 8 days I have woke at 4 am, researched till 6 , took the subway and worked until 7pm. Then dinner, and work or Kitten interviews until 1 am. I am very dedicated to this.

Thanks for the patience.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:05 am 
9. Gay Now

Quote:
and we felt Joss was with us
Guys, guys, guys! Tara is NOT evil. She literally CAN'T be evil.
If she turned out evil it would be a big flashing neon sign
beaming "GAY IS WRONG! GAY IS EVIL!" Which would be *so* wrong
and *so* not Joss.

Wow, was that ever off the mark! :glasses

Nice work Doc, lots of good stuff here. :clap :clap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:19 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Nostalgia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:40 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I must admit most of my memories are from the Willtara list and the chat sessions via Yahoo! (in particular when someone rebroadcast a radio show Amber was on and one morning connecting a microphone up to my PC and running it into my lounge so the chatters could hear Amber on Channel 4's 'Big Breakfast').

One thing I do remember from the board was when Amber herself posted. Some of the Kittens had met Amber at a signing and posted about it on the board. Amber posted a follow up at 04:34:23 on Sunday 23rd July, 2000 under the subject line "You were soooooo sweet!". the text of the message was:
Quote:
Just thought i'd drop a quick hello and say that you were so sweet and you were totally together and did not babble or say anything stupid. Thanx for the lovely card (my mom thought it was adorable) and hello to everone who's name was on it and the 93 other's who were thinking happy thoughts in my direction.

Ps they were Abercrombie and Fitch Cargos ( most expensive pants I own 'cause I'm cheap ) So you were on the money!

AMBER

I actually printed out the reply and pinned it to a cork board in my back room, where it still is.

Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:15 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
Rally wrote:
ping

Pong, hee. I see your name and I think San Diego...

Last edited by xita on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:35 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

stephenbooth_uk wrote:
I must admit most of my memories are from the Willtara list and the chat sessions via Yahoo! (in particular when someone rebroadcast a radio show Amber was on and one morning connecting a microphone up to my PC and running it into my lounge so the chatters could hear Amber on Channel 4's 'Big Breakfast').

One thing I do remember from the board was when Amber herself posted. Some of the Kittens had met Amber at a signing and posted about it on the board. Amber posted a follow up at 04:34:23 on Sunday 23rd July, 2000 under the subject line "You were soooooo sweet!". the text of the message was:
Quote:
Just thought i'd drop a quick hello and say that you were so sweet and you were totally together and did not babble or say anything stupid. Thanx for the lovely card (my mom thought it was adorable) and hello to everone who's name was on it and the 93 other's who were thinking happy thoughts in my direction.

Ps they were Abercrombie and Fitch Cargos ( most expensive pants I own 'cause I'm cheap ) So you were on the money!

AMBER

I actually printed out the reply and pinned it to a cork board in my back room, where it still is.

Stephen

I've been looking for a screen cap of that. Thanks for doing that. I was just telling Brad that I believe her post to us when we were on inside the web was what put us on the map. She was super awesome for doing that. We had visited her at comicon and it was just the best experience to see us acknowledging us in that way. We had a card that all of our 93 members at the time.

I think most of the board is still around, Froggyfrog is the one who helped me transfer posts from one board to another.
The old ezboard (now yuku board) is mostly still there, it has old posts in the kitty archive, which has Amber, Aly, W/T stuff. The daily thread archive, which has all the daily threads and the general archive, which as all the buffy stuff.

I was looking around in old backup cds and other than getting tired and finding some real old looking stuff (it was like looking at the beginning of the internet, videos that took up about an inch on my screen), I found my novogate backup. I think most of it is on the archives above, but it's organized differently, so it's interesting. I uploaded it, I did notice that even some of those threads were copied over from insidetheweb
The Novogate Backup

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:16 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 1
Here it is..the page of Amber's lovely post to Xita on the Kitten!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:08 am 
10. Troll Hammer

I sure miss Lord Bowler. Found him, he did alot of xena too

Who was froggy frog? I still have a Kitten shirt with that URL.
edit: he is in england now
Xita, thanks a bajillion for the novogate stuff!!

Last edited by drlloyd11 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:55 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

drlloyd11 wrote:
I sure miss Lord Bowler. Who was froggy frog? I still have a Kitten shirt with that URL.
Xita, thanks a bajillion for the novogate stuff!!

froggyfrog was a kitten from Australia, met him once, programmer. Super nice guy, made my life so much easier then. Did a little fanfic as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:56 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Kajun wrote:

Thank you so much! It was killing me cause I know I captured it! Amber was always so super nice to her fans. I'd never done that kind of thing and haven't since but I don't regret it. She's the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:23 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

damn, so much nostalgia.

I am loving this. ^^/ makes my dumb heart skip beats of happiness. *__*

I am having a sentimental moment here, bare with me. (bear hug all kittens, old and new)

Private 1th Class of The Kitten Army. Semper WillTara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:06 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Remember the posting board party? I wasn't there but, I remember the posts about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:35 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Allow me to hearken to a brighter day

http://web.archive.org/web/20011021061720/http://froggyfrog.com/inquirer/index.htm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:04 pm 
9. Gay Now

Y'know, Tara's secret sounds like a nice show, i'd watch it! :bounce

Anyone written a story about it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:54 am 
5. Willowhand

Hi!
This looks like a great walk down memory lane, thanks for the heads up dr lloyd!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:07 am 
10. Troll Hammer

--moved to end--

Last edited by drlloyd11 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:12 pm 
9. Gay Now

Yes! There it is! :bounce
The episode of wow-ness! :thud

Woo! and Hoo! :pinky

I have watched that episode so often that if it was on tape it would be wearing thin by now.
Yay for digital!

Go girls! :pride

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:59 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

This is a Talk With Robert Black. He worked as a writer for Television in the 80s and is now a novelist. He was one of the original
board members and was a often a scout at Buffy shooting getting important spoilers. He wrote a series of essays about Willow and Tara
called "The Strange And Incredible Saga Of Willow and Tara On "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" http://www.whedon.info/The-Strange-And- ... ga-Of.html
but at one time he had as his signature
Remember the Kitten Board Mantra: "Joss is nuts about Tara, Willow/Tara and Amber!"
drlloyd: how did you get started with the show?
BOvenGuy: With Buffy? I'd been curious about the movie but never watched it. When the pilot episode ran, I watched it and liked what I saw.
drlloyd: so from the start
BBOvenGuy: (I should mention that I've been up since 5am, because I went out to watch the eclipse... :-P
BBOvenGuy: Yes, from the start.
drlloyd: were you realy deeply into it?>
drlloyd: thats fine, I dont want you to be tired
BBOvenGuy: I had an online friend up in northern CA who didn't get the WB, so I was taping every episode and sending them to her.
BBOvenGuy: I also got into fanfic fairly early. The show connected with me on a creative level, and I saw it as the chance to transition from writing screenplays with established characters, which is what I'd been doing, over to writing prose.
drlloyd: you used to write for canadian TV, "you cant do that on TV" right?
BBOvenGuy: Yup!
drlloyd: I was a huge fan
drlloyd: moose was more or less my crush from age 7 on
BBOvenGuy: One of the kids I used to write for just showed up on an episode of Sanctuary a few weeks ago. Adam Reid.
drlloyd: when you got into fan fiction, this was season 1 and 2 or>
drlloyd: or what?
BBOvenGuy: Season 1.
BBOvenGuy: I wrote a bunch of stuff from Season 1 up through Surprise/Innocence.
drlloyd: I always found that for a writer, fanfiction is a good way to start, because it lets you have the characters and story established
drlloyd: and play in a smaller sandbox
BBOvenGuy: Then quit for a while, and came back when Tara showed up.
drlloyd: what was your early fics like? where they romantic or?
BBOvenGuy: They were more like TV episodes. In my first one that really caught on, Buffy was sidelined because she had her wisdom teeth taken out, so Giles did some mumbo-jumbo and turned Willow into a temporary Slayer.
drlloyd: oh cool
BBOvenGuy: That may still be online somewhere...
drlloyd: I remember the fic in the first 2-3 seasons was much more
drlloyd: open ended
BBOvenGuy: I also did a big spoof of the "crossover" genre, where 100+ characters from a couple of dozen shows all showed up in Sunnydale.
drlloyd: Let me know what it was called and I will find it
drlloyd: was there an online community you used
BBOvenGuy: Hang on a sec.
drlloyd: sure
BBOvenGuy: This is the only spot I know of that still carries my old stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/8349/
drlloyd: was there any fan board you hung out at
BBOvenGuy: Yes, there were a couple. Probably long gone now. I don't even remember their names.
drlloyd: when tara showed up
drlloyd: how quickly did you take to her
BBOvenGuy: Pretty much immediately. It helped that she appeared in a very good episode. But when I saw the hand-clasp, throw-the-soda-machine-across-the-room thing, I instantly thought, "Did they just do what I think they did?"
drlloyd: were you 100% sure or?
BBOvenGuy: It also helped that Willow was my muse-character in Buffy-dom.
BBOvenGuy: It was more like, "Did I just see what I thought I saw?"
drlloyd: she was not in the next 2 episodes I think
BBOvenGuy: I should mention that at the time, I had a teenage online friend who had come out to me, because she lived in Texas and didn't feel safe talking to anyone else about what she was going through. My church has a very strong LGBT outreach ministry, which I was telling her about.
drlloyd: I remember
drlloyd: did she see the show?
BBOvenGuy: Oh yes, I met her through one of the fanfic mailing lists.
BBOvenGuy: She just turned 30, and is now happily married to a nice redhead. The two of them came out here to California in 2008 when same-sex marriage was legal, and I was their official witness.
drlloyd: thats great
drlloyd: was she ever a kitten?
BBOvenGuy: No, she had too much other stuff going on by that time.
drlloyd: lol
drlloyd: does she stay in touch?
BBOvenGuy: Occasionally. She works for Facebook, and I run into her there. We're going to do some ads for my new book when it comes out.
drlloyd: thats great
drlloyd: did you feel like a father figure to her?
drlloyd: I know thats an odd question but
BBOvenGuy: No, not odd. There have been several people I've mentored over the years.
drlloyd: It rewarding and heartbreaking
drlloyd: often at once
BBOvenGuy: Yup, that's true.
drlloyd: did you think the show was going to have a long term tara and willow story?
BBOvenGuy: It was something I hoped for but didn't really expect.
drlloyd: alot of people talk about a moment where they "fell in love"
drlloyd: where they were invested
drlloyd: when was that for you?
BBOvenGuy: Hmmm... I haven't really thought about it in those terms, although I suppose I could have. Probably the Faith two-parter, because that's when it looked like the show wasn't just playing around with the idea, that they were going to do it for real.
drlloyd: what do you remember about New Moon Rising
drlloyd: how you felt and
drlloyd: how people talked
BBOvenGuy: I remember everyone freaking out before the episode, because nobody knew what was going to happen.
drlloyd: I remember that too
BBOvenGuy: I remember Oz fans freaking out *after* the episode. :-P
drlloyd: There was a long period of panic
drlloyd: for the fans all that season
drlloyd: like the carpet would be pulled
drlloyd: and that lasted until "the body" I think
drlloyd: the "wild things one" freaked people out too
BBOvenGuy: The feeling that the carpet would be pulled lasted until just before the carpet actually was pulled... but let's not go there.

drlloyd: you were a shipper of them by then right?
BBOvenGuy: I've never liked the concept of being a "shipper," but I suppose I came closer to it with Willow and Tara than I ever have anywhere else.
drlloyd: I just used the term as a commonality
drlloyd: but sure
drlloyd: did you follow spoilers and all that
BBOvenGuy: Oh, of course.
BBOvenGuy: That was how I got involved with the Kitten, because Xita was orignally posting on the Buffy Cross & Stake, and I was there too.
drlloyd: yes
drlloyd: I came into it from the willtara board
drlloyd: what was you impression of Xita?
drlloyd: at the time
BBOvenGuy: She seemed nice. We got along well.

drlloyd: how dedicated to the kitten were you? or was it casual?

BBOvenGuy: Dedication to the Kitten.
drlloyd: did you get more and more involved in the kitten
BBOvenGuy: Yes, I did. At one point, I was one of the most frequent posters.
drlloyd: when was this>
BBOvenGuy: Before Dr. G came along and blew the rest of us away...
BBOvenGuy: :-)
drlloyd: lol
drlloyd: about when in the show ?
BBOvenGuy: Season 5.
drlloyd: after family?
BBOvenGuy: Okay... I need to remember my reference points... Family aired on election night 2000, I dislocated my shoulder the summer before that... I started doing location shoot coverage around that time... Right around the time of Family.
BBOvenGuy: And speaking of that... I have a friend in my choir who's married to Steve Rankin aka Mr. MacLay.
BBOvenGuy: I've heard him do the "Tara, you're my daughter and I love you, but you're a demon" speech in person.
drlloyd: I remember a photo of him with a guitar
BBOvenGuy: Right, his wife Susie Glaze is a bluegrass singer, and he's in her band.
drlloyd: he is probably 180 away from his character
BBOvenGuy: He's also in "The Enterprise Blues Band," a group made up of actors who have done guest shots on the various Star Trek shows.
BBOvenGuy: Yeah, I like him. He's a friendly guy.
drlloyd: ok, I have to check that out
BBOvenGuy: Google them. You'll find them.
drlloyd: when did you start with the shoots?
BBOvenGuy: Ummm... let me think a minute...
drlloyd: what was the first one?
drlloyd: by the way, if you want to stop and start again sometime that is fine
BBOvenGuy: I'm doing okay for the moment, thanks.
drlloyd: I recognize your patience in this madness of mine
BBOvenGuy: I think the first one I went to was the scene where Buffy finds out who/what Dawn was. Down on Willow Street in a not-so-nice part of LA.
drlloyd: how did you come to do that? had you done them before?
BBOvenGuy: I'm trying to remember... and unfortunately, I can't. Somebody tipped me off to the city's filming location calendar, which was posted online before 9/11.
drlloyd: but that was the first time
BBOvenGuy: But I don't remember who. Quite possibly someone on the Cross & Stake.
drlloyd: you did not go on shoots for x-files or whatever
BBOvenGuy: No, just Buffy.
drlloyd: the cross and stake is still around, but almost no traffic
BBOvenGuy: I'm still in touch with a couple of people from there.
drlloyd: do you remember angel x?
drlloyd: who ran it
BBOvenGuy: Oh, certainly.
drlloyd: she was like 16 or something
drlloyd: home schooled
BBOvenGuy: Something like that.
drlloyd: very sharp for her age
BBOvenGuy: Very.
drlloyd: did you and her ever speak?
BBOvenGuy: We collaborated on some stuff.
BBOvenGuy: In fact, she and I teamed up to confirm the plotline for "Seeing Red."
drlloyd: I was on the other side of that actually
drlloyd: she knew to have people to help, but not let them mix
BBOvenGuy: When I went out to the desert, she told me part of the scene, but she left out the part that Warren was a robot. When I went out there, I heard that the prop guys had brought robot parts, so I went back and told her that. And that's how we knew.
drlloyd: I wanto speak to her again, she is probably running the cia or something
BBOvenGuy: haha
drlloyd: she was written up in the NY dailys news
drlloyd: and that hurt her sources
BBOvenGuy: Oh? Wait, I might have seen that...
drlloyd: did she ever tell you who the source was?
BBOvenGuy: Nope.

drlloyd: do you rememver the yearbook project with ammenke>
drlloyd: oh I live in boston
drlloyd: but I tend to stay up for days at a time
BBOvenGuy: hehe
drlloyd: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reliving- ... 86?sk=wall
BBOvenGuy: My brother lived in Boston for many years, getting his PhD at Harvard.
drlloyd: I dropped out of MIT,
BBOvenGuy: I'm not sure I remember the yearbook project, I'm afraid.
drlloyd: oooh it was the kitten yearbook
drlloyd: it was on yahoo groups
drlloyd: you orgazized
BBOvenGuy: Right.
drlloyd: it was to make a yearbook
BBOvenGuy: Okay, that.
BBOvenGuy: Yes.
drlloyd: but it was stopped when the spoilers came out
drlloyd: and reading the information
BBOvenGuy: Yes, indeed.
drlloyd: is heart wrenching
drlloyd: I have tried to reack ammenke, but language issues :)
drlloyd: who else was on it>?
BBOvenGuy: I haven't thought about that in years...
drlloyd: How about we get back to that later ok?

BBOvenGuy: Well, what more did you want to ask.
BBOvenGuy: I'm looking at my shoot reports, trying to pick out the ones to send along.
drlloyd: I have about
drlloyd: 45 more questions
drlloyd: so I figure two sessions is fine
BBOvenGuy: Only 45. Well, okay then...
drlloyd: :)
drlloyd: well, plus redirects
drlloyd: I basicly want you not to be bored or trapped by this
drlloyd: because your story is pretty cool
BBOvenGuy: I'm doing okay so far.
drlloyd: and frankly, the shoot from 6-22 you watched was more dramatic in the reports than the show
drlloyd: what did you remember about the kitten so far?
drlloyd: how was it at the time
drlloyd: between 4 and 5 season
BBOvenGuy: At the time I saw the shoot from 6-22?
BBOvenGuy: Oh, between 4 and 5 season.
drlloyd: yes
BBOvenGuy: I think there were still some doubts about how far Joss was going to take things. But overall the mood was pretty hopeful.
BBOvenGuy: There were also worries about Dawn.
drlloyd: tell me
drlloyd: was this related to the "tara is a demon" thing
BBOvenGuy: Yes, the "Tara is a demon" thing worried people, and there was also the concern that she'd kind of get shuffled off to the side and never really be given her proper place in the group.
drlloyd: the first part of s5 felt like that
BBOvenGuy: There were a lot of disgruntled Oz fans still lurking around, too, and that didn't help.
drlloyd: less than you imagine oddly
drlloyd: the other posters, did you get to know them>
BBOvenGuy: Some of them.
BBOvenGuy: Especially the ones who lived in LA, because we went to location shoots and hand Kitten gatherings.
drlloyd: any stand out>
drlloyd: ?
BBOvenGuy: Xita and I even went driving out into the desert at night once.
drlloyd: really?
drlloyd: for a shoot>'
BBOvenGuy: Yes.
BBOvenGuy: Neither of us had been out there before. We met at this gas station in Palmdale, and went cruising around in the dark, trying to find the shoot.
drlloyd: it sounds like an adventure
drlloyd: this was for season 5 right?
BBOvenGuy: We eventually found it, but there was no opportunity to see anything, so we just drove by. If I had to guess, I'd say they were filming Spiral.
drlloyd: yep
drlloyd: I actually remember that
drlloyd: ok, we have been on for 90 min and I want to stop for the night
drlloyd: so you have some time to think
BBOvenGuy: Okay, sounds good.

drlloyd: leaving this chat, how do you feel? Sad, nostalgic?
drlloyd: happy??
drlloyd: proud?
BBOvenGuy: I've made my peace with what happened on Buffy.
drlloyd: that is what we call an ambiguos statement
BBOvenGuy: And I do miss the Kitten, but there have been many such groups that have come and gone through the years.
drlloyd: ah you knoew I mean
BBOvenGuy: I'm being cryptic. ;-)
drlloyd: that you have been part of?
BBOvenGuy: No other group I've been a part of took their fandom into the real world and tried to make a difference the way the Kitten did. And that's something to be proud of.
BBOvenGuy: There's your money quote. :-D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 am 
9. Gay Now

Quote:
BBOvenGuy: And I do miss the Kitten, but there have been many such groups that have come and gone through the years.

We are still here baby! :pride

And we will not fade away!

Nor go gently into the night!

And other such aphorisms of unyielding resistance.

Grr.

P.s: Thanks for the link Doc! the article sez some things we knew, in new ways. It definately added to my store of knowledge. :bounce

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next