The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lookin for some help if anyone knows anything
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:27 am 
3. Flaming O

Hey ya'll,

Ok so this is a random question and if it's in the wrong place just let me know.

Me and my partner got married over in England 3 years ago, well almost. Now we are wanting to back over to the states. Obviously there aren't many states that go along with the civil union but there are a few. What I am looking for is any help that anyone can provide because we have been looking into visas and it's all very confusing. So if anyone knows how to get one or what we need to do just options wise and stuff that would be fab. I'm an American citizen so I'm fine, but as she is a British citizen this is a little more complicated.

Any help you guys can give would be great, if not then that's cool too.

Michelle

Post subject: Re: Lookin for some help if anyone knows anything
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

I guess you'd need to move to a state that recognises your marriage and will issue a visa on account of that.
Otherwise you're looking at a greencard lottery or you need to find a (maybe even few, not sure on that) employer that'll issue a visa request.

Not intirely sure on that all, but I did some research for a friend who wanted to move to florida, so this is about all I found.

(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. (it must be bunnieeees!)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:50 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 4
I think you're going to find that it doesn't matter what state you plan on moving to - all visas are issued by the State Department, which is federal. Though I have been otherwise horrifically unimpressed with the Obama presidency so far, you might find the State Department a little more willing to accommodate your partner than they perhaps were a month ago. You should check out their website for more info --> http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_1750.html

EDIT: Hmm ... a little more digging turned up some disappointing info. Under the Defense of Marriage Act ... "The Federal Government may not treat same-sex relationships as marriages for any purpose, even if concluded or recognized by one of the states." I'm guessing this is going to pose a big problem in getting any sort of spousal visa through the State Department. Wouldn't hurt to talk to a lawyer, or at the very least, contact your US Embassy in London for options.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:48 pm 
21. Geek Infested Roots

yeah, what gorn said.

immigration is under the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal government and states have no authority to authorize the entrance of a foreign national spouse regardless of their individual marriage laws. the defense of marriage act prohibits the extension of any of the 1,049 federal rights and responsibilities of marriage to same-sex couples - including the privileges of spousal immigration. there's nothing obama can do about that. it will take an act of congress to repeal the DOMA (which obama would then sign).

sorry there's no good news. you'll just have to go about getting her here the old fashioned way (lots of money and waiting).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:45 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

there should be a foundation that helps people take care of these things and financially supports the not so rich. Love shouldn't be about money and lawschool degrees :s

(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. (it must be bunnieeees!)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:30 am 
3. Flaming O

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help, even if it wasn't good news. Well if nothing we can always move to Canada, seems a bit easier that way, but no one can ever be too sure. Oh well. Hopefully we will figure something out!!

Great big thanks, seriously!! *big hugs*

Michelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:52 am 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

The other option is to go for a student visa, maybe your wife would like to go back to school? Hopefully by the time she's finished, the laws will have changed.

I love the UK, it was hard getting Mudrat here but at least we can get married!