The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Coffee Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:49 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
I really think there HAS to be a coffee thread here. There are soooo many Kitten that love coffee as much as I do, so here we go.

Post anything and everything that comes to your mind, when you think about coffee here. ;-) What is your favourite kind of coffee? When did you start drinking coffee and why? I'm curious. :)

I still think coffee is like the best invention ever and there should absolutely be something like an IV possible. ;))
I really hated coffee, when everyone at school would drink it to be "cool". So when I moved out and had to get up at like 4:30 every morning, coffee was the only thing making that possible. Now I kind of feel addicted to it.
My dad bought me this incredible Senseo last year and gosh, I love it. My favourite kind of coffee though would be the (white) caffe mocha. Yay to Starbucks and all those lovely coffee houses.

Post subject: Re: The Coffee Thread
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:39 am 
17. Mega-Witches

My favorite kind of coffee (when I make it at home anyway) is me putting like 6 spoonful's of Foldger's in with enough to make around 6 cups. Then when it's done I put probably too much french vanilla creamer and a little bit of sugar. Usually one packet of Splenda, I keep packets around or else I'll go overboard with the sugar which I used to do a lot lol

I also used to have 6 cups of coffee a day which I've now squared down to just two cups a day. Then again it might as well be six cups with all the coffee I put in haha Currently trying out new creamer flavors....today's being International Delight: White Chocolate Mudslide. It's very good but has a bit of a bitter aftertaste so I add a bit of hot coco mix in it. Next week I'm def just going back to regular french vanilla creamer though lol

I started drinking coffee my Senior year of High School (about 4 years ago) mainly because that summer my friends and I had summer school and I hated the idea of getting up at 5:30 to be at the school by 6:30. So from then on it's a love affair with coffee. I love Starbucks but am really picky about what I get from there, usually something quite boring but hey, as long as it's coffee! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:39 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

there's one thing that's more heavenly then mochas but I forgot the name of it.

it tasted like a huge cup almost half filled with hot chocolate sause, on top of that about a quarter of cream, then a layer of whiped milk and they throw some really strong coffee on it which mixes a little with the rest, it becomes a lovely warm, sweet, chocolatte-y goodness beverrage that can be enjoyed with a spoon or a straw, or you can just mix it up and drink it, but that's likely to ruin jour whipped milk...

if someone knows the name of a heavenly thing just like this, help me out here, I need to have it againnn, I bet starbucks sells it! And there is a starbucks on the airport, just 10 minutes by tram and then 15 by train from here (nope, not hooked at all (A)) grrr argh, tell me what's the name of it

(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. (it must be bunnieeees!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:47 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

LesbianJedi87 wrote:
My favorite kind of coffee (when I make it at home anyway) is me putting like 6 spoonful's of Foldger's in with enough to make around 6 cups.

I do the same thing and the people at work think I'm bonkers.
Caffeine is definitely my friend.

Last edited by HC on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:01 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

My friend just called me and he told me something really disgusting about his boss. Yes it has something to do with coffee. :)
His boss brews coffee, sets it in the fridge and drinks it one day later. Can you believe that? That is just so...ewww....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:53 pm 
3. Flaming O

I've been drinking coffee since I was maybe six or seven. Both my dad and mom drink a lot of coffee so no surprise there. At first my 'coffee' was 50 % milk and 50 % coffee plus two lumps of sugar, but now I just add a dash of milk. I also prefer darker roasts over lighter ones. There was a time when I had 10 cups coffee a day, but nowadays I'm okay with three or four.

Kessari wrote:
His boss brews coffee, sets it in the fridge and drinks it one day later. Can you believe that? That is just so...ewww....

That's ewww, but did anyone know that there is finnish saying that goes, "Cold coffee makes one beautiful"? There's also another version that adds "but stomach can't take as much as face needs".

No, I don't get it either

Last edited by PolarBear on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:47 pm 
2. Floating Rose

I started out loving the flavored coffees with pleanty of cream and sugar. But last year my grandma got me some really good french roast coffee. You almost didn't need anything else in it. So that got me drinking darker roasts and using a lot less cream and sugar. I like to taste the coffee flavor more, and it's probably healthier.

I usually drink a lot of coffee (but not quite Gilmore girls level yet), but I brought a 4-cup coffee maker to school, requiring me to drink less. I still go to the coffee shop though. I also prefer it over tea unless i'm feeling sick and in the mood for something lighter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:52 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

I love my coffee with just cream and noting else mmmmmmmm good. I also love lattes but in a pinch I will drink it black. just as long as I have coffee I am Happy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:38 am 
28. Com...plete

Topics: 12
We just bought the Technivorm MochamasterCoffee maker.

Cooks Magazine ranked it as the best coffee maker in the world. So we figured we needed one. So did everyone else, it is back ordered for six-weeks!

We bought the KBT741 which heats the water to a perfect 204 degrees F and keeps the coffee warm in a thermal carafe.

I have to admit it is really my wife that wants this. She didn't even like coffee till she met me.

Now personally, I still love my Bunn. It also gets the water to right tempature, but Cooks downgraded them on the lack of a thermal carafe. Big deal. I drink the stuff to fast to let it get cold or over heated on the burner. Plus the Bunn is made near where I grew up as a kid, so I feel like I help my hometown when I buy one.

I have had 3-4 since 1987, I am constantly burning them out. But since they are Bunns I can replace them for cheap or free if I ship them back to the factory.

My favorite coffee is Eight O'Clock Coffee, I buy the whole beans and grind them at home right before I brew. I'll never touch the pre-ground stuff again.

My favorite Starbucks is a Tripple Grande Latte.
Did you know you can go to Starbucks and get their old coffee grounds for your garden? We have been doing that for the tomatoes it is great.

Tim

Tara: "My whole life has been 'Tara, don't use your magic.' 'Tara, hide your powers.' 'Tara you will scare someone.' But you tried to hurt and then kill Willow. So maybe it is time I showed everyone just how powerful I am."
- The Dragon and the Phoenix, Episode 7: The Road to Hell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:47 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 4
I'm drinking coffee right now. I like it with lots of cream, lots of sugar, a shot of tequila, a squirt of whipped cream, two cherries, a slice of orange, a straw, and a little umbrella.

I'm fooling, of course. I drink it black.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:00 am 
Cheers to all of you coffee drinkers!

Not much of a coffee person myself but credit has to be given to this beverage for its ''collective bonding'' side. Not only is this apparent in homes, on worksites or other places of relaxation, this thread proves that it has the ability to bond people in just about any setting ... which is very nice.

Coffee usually automatically makes me think of a funny incident in one of my past jobs when my boss served us an arabica coffee that had expired four years back. It was a hilarious situation when everyone had to spit it out at the first sip. If I take into account Kessari's post, it looks like some bosses have a really quirky sense of humour and taste.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:35 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

COFFEE!!!

There is no finer substance in all the universe.

I live for coffee. Lots of cream, no sugar. Yes!

I use a cold brew method at home (one of these). And locally-roasted organic fair trade whole beans (Higher Ground Roasters). I prefer a medium roast, but I won't turn my nose up at a light or dark.

Since coffee is the second most heavily-traded commodity (after oil), it is abominable that coffee-producing areas of the world are not wealthier. This is why I care a lot about making sure that, considering the volume of coffee I consume, the people who produce it are being paid a fair price for it. Fair trade all the way! I also prefer, when possible, to patronize locally-owned and operated coffee shops. I'll go especially far out of my way around here to get coffee at a local shop that serves Higher Ground, but anything local is better than Starbucks. I am not necessarily pleased to see some of the local Starbucks locations closing (because I know people who work at them), but I am pleased to see the locally-owned coffeeshops they opened right next door to remaining open and thriving.

Image I know, I know.

I've been drinking coffee since forever and I am never going to stop. Coffee has bazillions of health benefits and coffee drinkers are more awesome than everyone else. It's true!

I have this on a shirt. It is my favorite shirt and the best shirt of all time. (See also these caffeinated gems: coffee grinders and coffee dealers and coffee pots.)

I used to read Too Much Coffee Man all the time, but Shannon Wheeler said something somewhere that pissed me off. I've forgotten what he said, but I have not forgotten that it pissed me off.

Coffee makes everything in life better. I cannot imagine a world without it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:40 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
I have never been a coffee nut, but I do enjoy an italian coffee after dinner. It's got a shot of Amaretto in it and nice dollop of whipped cream on top.

I ordered one at a restaurant once, and the waiter sarcastically remarked, "We're not a Starbucks, ma'am." He didn't get a tip.

Kisses and Gay Love
"I like my buttons, curvy." - Willow, Neverland, by Easiersaid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:02 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Lol this thread is funny. You all Coffee Addicts!

I don't like coffee, except if capuccino is accepted as coffee (please gorn don't have a heart attack!). So we'll say mine is just cappuccino (with Daim' bits in it!).

Seeing as how much I have facilities to get addicted, I'm glad I don't like one of the most addictive drink! But I love the smell.

Nothing smeels better than some freshly made coffee. Or coffee itself.

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:29 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

yeah, coffee smells good, i.e. the powder-y-stuff.
*makes a caff-line and starts to snif it*
what?? it just smells good!

(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. (it must be bunnieeees!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:46 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Dorothy wrote:
yeah, coffee smells good, i.e. the powder-y-stuff.
*makes a caff-line and starts to snif it*
what?? it just smells good!

LOL! Well I never "sniffed" a coofee-line but I sometimes open the pot in which we put the coffee and ake a big snif... Which always earn me some comments from whoever happened to see me.
And in the grocery store I go most often, they used to see coffee they would grind themselves, and so it always smelled oh so good! Too bad they've stopped.

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

Last edited by JujuDeRoussie on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:57 pm 
8. Vixen

Hmmm the smell of coffee!!! My love affair with it stops there, I drink black tea all the way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:12 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

I had a Mocha Frap today at Starbucks. The girl taking the order was SO adorable, chatty, and cute! I wanted to just...take her home with me or something haha

I could work at Starbucks....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:32 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Folgers (unless Maxwell House is on sale at the Food Lion)
Drip coffee maker (I had a french press, but one of the cats broke it...grr)
International Delights Hazelnut (but the Tiramisu is a close second)
A pot (sometimes more) daily.

Starbucks = Peppermint Mocha with soy milk. Yum.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:47 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Lately I was only able to get up in the morning if there was coffee involved... Yesterday I drank my coffee black. What the hell is wrong with me? When there comes a day where I put sugar in my coffee I've truely gone mad :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:35 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

This came to my mind today, when I talked to a friend. I' didn't drink Coke for like 6 months now and I really don't like it anymore, but I'm addicted to coffeine? Strange ;))

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:34 am 
16. Pancakes in Bellies

I like my coffee black, I use to drink about 8 cups a day but due to rehabilitation phenomenon when I skipped a day. I slowed down to about 2 - 3 a day. And believe me it's a new world without being crazy if you don't drink coffee for a day. :peace

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:06 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

I am drinking a nice hot cup of coffee mmmmmmmmmm after over a week with out any it feels and taste so good. :kitty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:22 am 
21. Geek Infested Roots

just reading about coffee in this thread makes my stomach cramp. i'm not a coffee drinker, despite having worked as a barista for a few years in college. i could just never get into it (much like smoking) and i found that i always had the worst stomach ache after drinking coffee of any kind and it's only gotten worse as i get older. everyone told me i'd get over it and become addicted to the stuff once i started law school, but that never happened either. it was all about hot tea and hot chocolate from dunkin' donuts for those years.

every once in a while i will have a decaf iced mocha. but it doesn't rock my world or anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:43 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Ahhh... coffee. Honestly, I can't have too much. I become even less understandable and socially accessible when caffeinated. But a cup or two in the a.m. is often necessary. Especially at 4 a.m. Saturday morning before market.

All the same, I've been enjoying my coffee all the more lately because I've been trading a small local roasting company their coffee for my left-over veggies at the end of the market. So basically I give them stuff that would get composted (it's still good, but there is only so much zucchini I can eat), and they give me enough organic coffee beans to last for a week or two. My current favorite variety is Ethiopia Sidamo. I have no idea what that means and I don't have the vocab to describe the flavor, but I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:33 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Foo said
Quote:
I have never been a coffee nut, but I do enjoy an italian coffee after dinner. It's got a shot of Amaretto in it and nice dollop of whipped cream on top.

I ordered one at a restaurant once, and the waiter sarcastically remarked, "We're not a Starbucks, ma'am." He didn't get a tip.

I should hope he didn't get a tip - a little unclear on the concept of good service!

SF is a tough place to keep coffee consumption down, as we have several great local roasters. Years ago, I used to roast at home. There is just something wonderful about freshly roasted coffee.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:17 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Wow, one cup of coffee and I am all relaxed again...Hmm... ;))

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:45 am 
5. Willowhand

Location: Behind the tree, outside the window. Waving at you.
COFFEE!!!1one

Oh sweet, caffeinated beverage borne of beans! Drink of the Gods, I tell ye!

Regular coffee, mochas, espresso, cappuccino. Hot! Cold! Anything! Coffee that could peel lead paint off walls! A simple, relaxing cup o' joe. And everything inbetween.

*melts*

However, de-caffeinated is blasphemy! At least in my book.

Now, I feel a 24 once cup calling me. Afterall, I've only had 2 cups since I've woken up today.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:22 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Psy wrote:
de-caffeinated is blasphemy!

These, my friends, are the truest words ever written.

Since I am training at my newest job, my coffee schedule is all out of whack. I have coffee in the morning and then coffee when I get home in the afternoon, but during that in-between time, the presence of coffee cannot be relied upon. At my other job, they understood that training is not possible without buckets of coffee. They understand that working there requires buckets of coffee. And, let me tell you, the buckets FLOW there.

But at this new job, they are all like....what is coffee?

Once I get settled in there, I am going to have to work on that.

Last edited by maudmac on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:04 pm 
18. Breast Gal

maudmac wrote:
Psy wrote:
de-caffeinated is blasphemy!

These, my friends, are the truest words ever written.

David Letterman referred to decaffeinated coffee as "useless warm brown water." Paul Shaffer even wrote a song about it.

I totally concur.

Last edited by dlline on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.