The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:30 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

What annoys you to no end? What really yanks your chain? What bugs the crap out of you? Yes, kittens...it's the PET PEEVES thread!

What is a pet peeve? Here's a short excerpt from what Wikipedia has to say about pet peeves:

Quote:
A pet peeve is a minor annoyance that can instill extreme frustration in an individual. Typically each person has several pet peeves that aggravate them more than the average person. Another person may not react as negatively or at all to the same circumstance.

And the fun part about pet peeves is - tell us WHY it annoys you.

[center]----------------------------------------------------[/center]

Mine is...when people write "thx!" in an e-mail. It's not THAT hard to type out the entire word "thanks," and thus it seems disrespectful - it's perfunctory and seems less heartfelt, like there is not any gratitude at all, just a desire to seem polite and appreciative.

Post subject: Re: Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:53 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

If you walk into a room and have to turn on the lights, please turn them back off when you leave. That makes me nuts!! I don't know. It's just... common sense. It's common courtesy. Hell, it's environmentally sound or something! Just flip the damned switch!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:01 pm 

Trom DeGrey, I sooo agree with you there!

It drives me insane when you leave a room for more than a few seconds and you don't turn off the lights or the TV or whatever! :gnome

It's just annoying, bad for the environment and bad for your purse!

Just turn off the light!

-Viv-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:23 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who scrape their teeth across their fork when eating...I can't stand that! Ahhhhhh! :gnome If I'm sitting at the same table with someone and every time they take a bite there's this fingernails on a chalkboard sound...it makes for a very uncomfortable meal.

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:30 pm 

oh...people who bite their nails..... :gnome That just drives me INSANE!!!!!! As much as I'd like to understand why....I have no reason for it...at least not something I can think of.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:54 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I have two major pet peeves. The first is people who say, "That's not my job." So what? Somebody has to do it. Anybody ever heard of teamwork? We're all in this together, and it's so much easier to just cooperate and help each other to get things done faster and more efficiently, rather than waste time nitpicking over trivialities.

My second pet peeve is going to sound a little odd to some, but speaking of a sensation like fingernails on chalkboard, I get that and worse when someone is turning a page and the two pages rub against each other. I don’t know why, but it’s horrible. I cringe and start rubbing my index finger with my thumb together, just to prove to my fingers that they don’t have paper in between them. When I turn my own pages, I use my index finger, and part the pages from the corner. Very weird.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:15 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hello Kittens-

Here's an automotive one.

The blinker and it's proper use. Before you change lanes or turn use them and then turn them off unless you're going around the world to the left!

Just gets me cranky.

Jixer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:23 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Internet shorthand makes me postal. I shall explain:

Under use of the shift key: I is one letter, your finger doesn't even have to move very far. Just capitalize it.
Over use of the capslock button: It makes me nervous, I feel like people are yelling at me all the time.
Shorthand: Stuff like 'lol' doesn't bother me that much, because I can see how it can be useful. Honestly though, it's not that hard to write out the word 'are' and 'you' and 'your'.

Another thing: Girls who call themselves fat. My girlfriend does it all the time and she's so not (Exhibit A: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gayforamber/detail?.dir=/19d3&.dnm=ce95re2.jpg&.src=ph) Hell, I don't care if someone is fat, that doesn't mean they should call themselves fat. If they've got that big of a problem with it they should stop whining and do something about it. Be happy about yourself, you're beautiful the way you are!

-Rei

*Kisses*

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:17 am 
2. Floating Rose

I have two that I can think of. One is when my brother uses the toilet and doesn't flush and leaves the lid up. That gets me really peeved because he denies it! And he is the only one who uses that bathroom besides me!
The other one is when someone keeps whining about how they miss their boyfriend/girlfriend that are away on a weekend trip or something. It's not like they left you, they're just away for a while! If you miss them so much give them a call and stop whining, geez.

I also hate the fork on teeth thing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:26 am 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

I said it in the random moments thread, and then realised it is a pet peeve too, so:

I really, really hate it when people use "impact", "resource" and "presence" as verbs.

As in: "that impacted me greatly" - no, I think you'll find that it had a big impact on you. "Impacted me greatly" means that it packed you firmly together with something...as in an impacted tooth. Unfortunately, this misuse is so widespread that it is now seen to be correct.

Or: "We resource offices around the world" - no, I think you'll find that you provide resources for offices...

And finally, my personal favourite: "Can we ask Bob to presence himself among us?". Argghh :gnome - is it so hard to say Can we get Bob in here?

I have actually heard all three of these repeatedly - and complained loudly every time. I like to think I am doing my bit for english grammar, one idiot at a time...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:29 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Without a doubt: mumblers and quiet-talkers. Now I'm the first person to admit that I have a lot of trouble hearing. But, there are plenty of people who speak loudly and clearly enough that I can hear them. And I'm not sure that random people on the street have an obligation to speak loudly enough for me to hear them. But service people? If someone is checking me out at the grocery store or waiting on my table, they should speak so that I have a clue what they just said. I would say that at least two times a week while eating dinner in a restaurant, I simply turn to my wife and say, "Please speak for me. I can't hear her at all." I work with a guy who mumbles and speaks so quietly that I'd estimate I understand 15% of his words. Arrrrggghhh!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:31 pm 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 1
JustSkipIt wrote:
Without a doubt: mumblers and quiet-talkers...I would say that at least two times a week while eating dinner in a restaurant, I simply turn to my wife and say, "Please speak for me. I can't hear her at all."

YES! It's not just me! I have very bad hearing too, Debra, and in a crowded restaurant (or crowd in general), I have to struggle to hear anything. In fact, I had this problem last summer while trying to place an order while lunching with several Kittens, who mocked my seeming cluelessness at what the waiter was saying. I won't name names, but you three know who you are. I hope you're ashamed of yourselves.

My biggest pet peeve is fingernail tapping. My sister taps on everything...I guess it's a tactile thing, but it drives me nuts.

-Cam

Last edited by tarawhipped on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:35 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Cameron of the Gay wrote:
won't name names, but you three know who you are. I hope you're ashamed of yourselves.

*looks around innocently*

Who would do that?!?!?!

My pet peeve: Somone saying something that he KNOWS is offensive to people in the room, then then following it up with "No offense" and a smile. Fucker!

Frivolous Views

Last edited by GayNow on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:36 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Gotta be the empty milk carton / orange juice carton in the frig. =)

"I've always believed it doesn't matter who you sleep with. What's important is how you treat people." - Amber Benson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:45 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Do you want me to name the names? I can guess too.

Quote:
YES! It's not just me!
Remember, I thought maybe I'd send mine to you to get fixed? Maybe we could get a two-for one deal?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:11 pm 
19. Yummy Face

I must be really grumpy because I have a lot :ashamed

Telemarketers calling my house at 8pm. I'm at home, I'm relaxed and I don't want to buy your shit.

People biting their nails or have dirty nails.... how long does it take you to clip them and wash your hands?.... And tap your nails on that desk one more time you will have no frikkin' fingers left.

And breathe

Crowded places, it's something that is out of my control, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

People interrupting when I'm talking. I'm in the middle of a sentence, wait until I'm finished or I'll kill you. :fallen

Being called 'love' or 'darling' by complete strangers. I'm not your love and I'm certainly not a darling.

I think I need to work on my people skills :lol

"Who gets the toaster for that one?"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:51 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Chalk and emery boards. I don't care if you bite your nails off and spit them on the floor just so long as you don't use an emery board.

Edit: Oh, and Candleshoe, next time you hear someone use impacted as a verb, tell them that's what happens when crud gets stuck in a male guinea pig's private parts and has to be cleaned out with a cue tip.

Last edited by supertramp on Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:26 pm 
Quote:
Gotta be the empty milk carton / orange juice carton in the frig. =)

Oh Aaron, I'm definetly with you on that one. My kids do it all too often.

I have to say, I also hate when dishes are left in the living room. I also hate it when someone takes something out of a cabinet and leaves the cabinet open.

HUGS
Barb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:55 am 
3. Flaming O

Text speak anywhere other than in texts. The original concept is fair enough, you have a limited amoung of characters in text messages so you'd want to shorten the words. But there is no need for it anywhere else! It's just lazy, stupid, not cool, and just generally BAD!!! I cannot tell you how much this infuriates me. :gnome :crash :fit :fit2 I will use common abbreviations, like OMG BTW FYI IMHO, etc. But that's it. No 'omg lyk dat iz soooooooo kewl!!!11!!!1!'.

The other major pet-peeve for me is your/you're. I HATE it when someone uses the wrong one. Come on people, it's not hard!!! Your = belongs to you. You're = you are. How bloody hard is that??? :gnome The same applies to there/their/they're. :fit

In fact, bad spelling/grammar in general really winds me up. I'm not perfect, I make typos and mistakes and certianly don't claim that everything I type is perfect (no doubt I will have a typo in this post!), but at least I TRY. The internet may no be an english language exam, but that doesn't mean we should stop using our brains.

(Obviously the above does not apply to dyslexic people, non-native english speakers, or plain ol' typos/mistakes - it's sheer laziness that bothers me.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:46 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I haven't seen this one yet. I can't stand it when a passenger in my car finds the need to do something else to occupy themselves. Like reading a book or newspaper. I don't mind on a long drive because they should read or sleep or whatever, but if we're going 10-15 miles and I have to pay at least some attention to the road, they should be willing to either talk to me or listen to the radio or whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:06 am 
19. Yummy Face

People who leave one square of toilet paper on the roll & then don't bother to get a new roll out. Or just, people who don't put a new roll out when they finish one - it's really not that difficult.
That's something that's bugged me since I was little, I even wrote a note for the bathroom wall to remind people when I was about 10 but my dad wouldn't let me stick it up.

Hugs
Jeanne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:51 am 
9. Gay Now

I totally agree with Trom with "Turn the light off!"; with Aaron on an empty carton of milk/orange juice in the fridge; and with Jeanne on the toilet paper... But I'm also piss off with men seating in a bus or train (subway/metro), pretend to have not seen a pregnant or elderly woman standing beside them and won't stand up and give their seat! That is just SO ungentlemanly! I commute, so I find a lot of things that pisses me off when I'm inside a bus or train. Another one is, when the seat is good for three persons, but the one that's seating beside you seems to own the bus/train! I'm piss off too when people talk TOO loud inside the public transportion :gnome Not everyone in the bus would want to hear your f*****g problems!

"I think you are such a sweetheart even though you got that twisted mind that is almost sadistic." - A friend, after reading REAL LOVE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:45 pm 
5. Willowhand

This may be on the same vein as people who interrupt, but it drives me nuts:

people who finish your sentences! I don't know how common this is with other folks, or if it has more to do with me stuttering, but for god's sake, I've been working to get this sentence out, so let me get it out! I don't want to hear you say it for me - if I did, I'd let you know! Grrr...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:41 pm 

Another one.... I HATE it when people idealize someone else.... whoever that might be....your friends, neighbours, celebs... I mean it's really great that you have someone who is your idol and you're trying to be a better person, and I'm all up for having an idol [heck, I have a few idols, but I don't make them saints....I know they have their own flaws..] .....but for crying out loud.... THEY ARE PEOPLE!!! Humans.. and as all humans they are not PERFECT!!! It's that PERFECT that I have problem with....other people can't say anything negative about them, they'd be yelled at, called stupid, called other names..... Idols are just people...they make mistakes....they'll do things that you don't "approve" off....stuff happens, people change....so stop wishing them to be "perfect" no one is....and no one ever will be.....

Telemarketers....8pm was mentioned....how about 9am on Saturday and Sunday.....do you REALLY think I'm going to buy ANYTHING at this hour?!?!?!?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:03 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I totally agree Tarafied4Life, don't finish my sentence. My thought, let me voice it! I also cringe each time says they borrowed something to someone else. You LOANED it to them. They borrowed it from you.

My perfectionist pet peeve is stickers. I hate when stickers are put on anything. They do not belong on my books, movies or cds. I don't want any of the residue on them either! The worst was when I got a ticket and the ticket was in the form of a huge sticker, on my drivers side window! I was so pissed. I spent two hours getting all the residue off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:21 am 
4. Extra Flamey

People who don't consider the feelings of others when they open their mouths. Think before you speak! Words can hurt.

This one is really horrible but I work in an office with four other guys who seem to think that cleaning their ears, noses and farting is something that must be carried out in public. :angry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:39 am 
5. Willowhand

Mine is when people eat with their mouth open. :angry Also when my neighbour decides to have a late night party, knowing full well my gf and I have to get up early in the morning. Grrr!
Hannah.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:12 am 
2. Floating Rose

Ooh, I hate it when people eat with their mouth open too. And talk witht heir mouth full as well. Stuff WILL fall out. It's one thing to look away when someone is eating in a gross manner, but if they have their mouth open you can hear it too, and there's no way to avoid that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:19 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

I have another

I dislike when grown people ask me questions they already know the answers to....Grrr...that drives me NUTS!

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:57 pm 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

It really irritates me when people bring their personal problems to work. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not an unsympathetic person, I just believe in behaving with a hint of professionalism rather than dripping around like a wet weekend waiting for someone to ask how you are, so that you can spend the next hour crying and drinking tea, instead of working. Why don't people realise that the work doesn't go away if they don't do it? It just means that someone else has to do it instead.

Sorry - had a bad day....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 705 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next