The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: No one here gets out alive. Dead artist thread.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:35 am 
Macabre I know. But one of the very first posts I ever made to the Kitten was an announcement that George Harrison had died.

Today it is my grim task to announce that cancer has taken Warren Zevon at the age of 56.

Most people remember Zevon for his "Werewolves of London", but that is only the tip of the iceberg of his work. One of my personal favorites was always "Lawyers, Guns and Money" and the entire "Excitable Boy" album. His latest album, "The Wind" debuted in the top 20, a first for Zevon, but I admit I have not listened to it yet.

I wont mourn his passing, because frankly he would find that idea stupid in the extreme. Instead I'll suggest everyone go pick up a Warren Zevon album (or at least watch his good friend David Letterman tonight) and share with someone who needs to hear some good music. Or at the very least, go home with a waitress.

Some articles

www.chicagotribune.com/ne...i-news-hed

www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/...index.html

www.warrenzevon.com/

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,
home of Liber Mysterium: The Netbook of Witches and Warlocks:
Available October 31st, 2003!

“Well-behaved women rarely make history.” - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich,
Professor Harvard University.

Edited by: WebWarlock at: 9/9/03 9:38 am

Post subject: Re: No one here gets out alive. Dead artist thread.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:49 am 
Hello Kittens-

Damn. I've been waiting for the correct amount of money (i.e. positive figures) to get The Wind, Zevon's last album. I was hoping he would get one more final album out, even knowing the prognosis for his CA made that a snow ball's chance in Hell. More evidence that DeNile is my favorite river. At least he did live to see his grandsons born and wrangled out one more album. The party's over at Detox Mansion, and the troubador of trouble has left the werewolves and the rest of the fringy crazies who loved his stuff crying.

I can imagine that Tara would know his more angsty soft songs and I can see her singing Poor Poor Pitiful Me to get a rise out of a certain redhead.

Thanks WW,

Jixer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:18 pm 
For anyone who is familiar with his work, Wesley Willis died on August 21st of Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia. I was only introduced to his songs a little over a year ago, but in that short time, Wesley's out-there lyrics and crazy beats grew on me. My personal favorites include Cut The Mullet and Rock N Roll McDonald's. I know it's kind of a few weeks since he died, but I thought I'd share for anyone who wasn't aware. For more info on Wesley Willis go to the official website. I can honestly say the Big W rocked my world.

Sarah

I've got an electric guitar. I play my stupid songs. I write these stupid words, and I love every one. If I went back some place I know that life was perfect like a TV show then 1993 is where I’d go cause Galaga was my only fight and it was cool to ride my bike we’d sneak out to cough on cigarettes and break it down with old cassettes up in my room it felt so safe where Kurt and Billy never looked at me strange.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:27 pm 
(nod) I just realized that he had died the other day. . . I loved his choruses the best.

Does it seem to to anyone else like everyone has been dying this year?

's sad.

she's my everything

Sweetie, I'm a fag. I been there. - Tara (Dead Things shooting script)

A muscle cramp? in your. . . pants? - Tara (Older & Far Away)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:46 pm 
Zevon was only 56, not 65. >

GG Always thought it would have been clever if "Dingoes Ate My Baby" had broken into a rendition of Werewolves of London :hmm Out

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:18 pm 
I didn't think he was that old, thanks for checking that GG, it was bugging me enough that I was about to look it up myself.

Zevon was a great songwriter, the kind that they don't make anymore. Like Randy Newman, who must be almost his contemporary, Zevon's songwriting voice was instantly indentifiable because it was original. It's impossible to hear Werewolves of London or Lawyers Guns and Money and picture them having been written by anyone else. I'll raise a glass to him tonight too, and watch Letterman as well, I'm sure he'll have something to say about his friend.

"Always took candy from strangers/ Didn't wanna get me no trade/ Never want to be like Papa/ Working for the boss every night and day. I need a love to keep me happy, baby won't you keep me happy."-Keith Richards

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:37 am 
Ooops!

Sorry about that all. I'll fix it.

I couldn't find my copy of "Excitible Boy" so I just listened to my MP3 version of "Lawyers, Guns and Money".

Don't forget we also lost Barry White this past year.

I remember first coming to Chicago and Barry was playing at "Taste of Chicago". On stage there was this old, overweight man in a key-lime green suit. Sweating buckets and singing his heart out. There were women screaming "Barry! Barry I love you!". Now that is the power of music my friends.

Most people only learned of Barry White through "Ally McBeal", but I had been listening to him for years. Part of my upbringing I guess. I grew up watching "Soul Train" in the 70's.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:36 am 
And there goes The Man in Black and John Ritter.

Yeah, it does seem like everyone is dying.

:( Fond memories of them both.

Walking in space we find the purpose of peace. The beauty of life you can no longer hide.
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open. Our eyes are open, our eyes are open wide, wide, wide. -- Walking In Space

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:24 am 
I didn't think Johnny Cash could last too long without June Carter we are losing a lot of great artisits. Warlock , what about the first Zevon record with Mohammed's Radio that is an amazing piece of work and still sounds fresh.I'm glad he lived long enough to see his grandchildren.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:30 am 
I knew it was only a matter of time before we lost Johnny Cash. Anyone who saw the video for "Hurt" could tell that.

I have no trouble admitting I always liked Cash. He was sort of a no-nonsense rebel and one of the few performers were the word "outlaw" really did apply. I would have to say one of my favorite songs of his is still "Ring of Fire". It is simple, but it is still a good song.

Cash was an American original and he will be missed.

John Ritter. Wow. Where in the hell did that come from?

Of course he was known for his new show, but he was also the voice of Clifford in the children's show about the big red dog.

I watched "Three's Company" like most kids in the 70's and I always liked Ritter. Too strange.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:08 am 
I must admit sadness at these deaths. John Ritter seemed too young and Johnny Cash is a legend.

I grew up on three's company, and I know it was bad, but it really entertained me. I thought it was funny. Besides , I was a kid in the era when even gayness being mentioned as a joke was so exciting since we didn't see it on tv at all.

- - - - - - - - - - -
"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose."

-Me & Bobby
McGee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:44 am 
My Dad loves Johnny Cash. I remember playing with Dad's 8-Track tapes when I was little (I used to stack them up and make houses for my Star Wars figures!) and there were always a lot of Johnny Cash tapes in there. His face was always staring at me from those cheap labels stuck on the front of the tapes. It's sad he's gone but I was kind of expecting it because he's older and has been sick.

But John Ritter!

Awww. That's really sad. He was way too young and it's so sudden and unexpected. He always seemed like a really nice guy and he'd made a bit of a comeback with his new show. That's just terrible.

Now I'm really bummed. Sigh.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:09 am 
Johnny Cash's death doesn't come as much of a surprise. Another legend gone.

But John Ritter, now that's a shock.

I also grew up watching Three's Company and I know that he was doing well with his new show, very sad news indeed.

Lil' Trevor : Always the life of the party.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:03 am 
Quote:
I can honestly say the Big W rocked my world.

Yep, Sarah, I was really saddened by the news that Wesley died. I've seen him play live, gosh, countless times. The last time wasn't even that long ago... maybe 6 months... and it was in my friend's living room. I only saw him play in houses here. I'm glad to know other people dug his wacky lyrics though.

John Ritter. Whoa.

And Johnny Cash. I'm going to be in Nashville this weekend, and I'm sure lots of bars and radio stations will have "Tennessee Stud" or something blaring.

"Is the gash in your leg really why you have stopped? Cause I noticed all the others, though they're gashed, they're still going. And I feel like the real reason that you're quitting is admitting that you've lost all your will to battle on..." Flaming Lips

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:20 pm 
I was listening to a news update on the morning show of one of the local radio stations here when they said "two pop culture icons died last night" and immediately I thought..."Johnny Cash" but I was so shocked when they said John Ritter.

I'd have to say that I have probably seen at least one episode of every tv series he's been in. "Threes Company" is one of my fave shows to watch in reruns if I'm home. And, I may be 27, but I love watching "Clifford." It's so cute. From what's been said about him he was a really good person. He'll be missed.

As for Johnny Cash, I remember going on a couple of day trips with my friend and her mom, who was an avid fan of the whole Carter/Cash families. "A Boy Named Sue" and "Ring of Fire" were two of my faves. I listened to "The Man Comes Around" today at work in memory. R.I.P.

~LadyB~

"I am just your ordinary...average, everyday, sane, psycho, super-Goddess." - Liz Phair, "Extraordinary"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:31 pm 
All year I've been commenting on how many stars have died this year. . . Before the thread started we had

Charles Bronson

Bob Hope

Barry White

Katharine Hepburn

Gregory Peck

June Carter Cash

Fred Rogers

. . . There's a longer list here.

she's my everything

Sweetie, I'm a fag. I been there. - Tara (Dead Things shooting script)

A muscle cramp? in your. . . pants? - Tara (Older & Far Away)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:52 pm 
Yeah, unlike his BTVS alter ego, John Ritter really was too young to end up "on the scrap heap . . . of life." (Couldn't believe the NPR guy who said Ritter was on "the only bad episode of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer.'" Compared to the recent sh*t, "Ted" looked like Sophocles!)

I only recently rediscovered Johnny Cash, in a way that's sort of on-topic to the Kitten: falling in love, all over again, w/ the movie "Desert Hearts" (the first U.S. lesbian feature film). As I've said on the Movie Thread, a major plus of that movie is its terrific score, and Johnny Cash is part of it. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume that someone asked him "Do you mind having your music be part of movie---a love story---about lesbians?" and that he said that it was fine by him.

GG . . . and I know that Drag Kings have performed as "the Man in Black" too! :p Out

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:52 am 
Quote:
I didn't think Johnny Cash could last too long without June Carter

I thought the same thing when I heard of her death back in May. I grew up with the "Man in Black". My brother and I used to laugh whenever we heard "Boy Named Sue". My mom was pregnant with my younger brother and my parents didn't have any names picked out. We would say that either way, they could name the baby Sue cause Johnny Cash thought it would be good.

I was also shocked about John Ritter. I don't think I missed an episode of "Three's Company". I still watch it on Nick at Night. We were talking about it at work on Friday wondering how they are going to deal with it on his new show. Will they just cancel the show or just write his death in?

Its very sad to lose one icon, let alone two.

Love to All,

Barb

As long as one heart still holds on, then hope is never really gone. ~ The Change ~ GB

Post subject: Sheb Wooley
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:14 am 
Sheb Wooley, who wrote the pop hit "Purple People Eater" died yesterday. He was 82.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,

Post subject: Re: Sheb Wooley
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:23 pm 
Always appreciated John Rittter's talent even tho I never liked _Three's Company_. (In the late 70s I was more a CBS than an ABC type and totally pompous about it to boot. Like I've changed much, lol.)

Was always a fan of Johnny Cash's music plus he helped get lots of other people started. (His former opening act the Statler Brothers were my favorite group and it killed me to miss their retirement tour last fall.) This year just keeps on going, as bad as '77.

Actually used to ahve the 45 of "purple PEople Eater"; like all my 45s it went up with the house.

Post subject: Gordon Jump
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:49 am 
Tonight is the first of the John Ritter tributes on "8 simple rules".

Also Gordon jump, who played Mr. Carlson on "WKRP", died Monday.

www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/...index.html

Gordon Jump of course uttered one of the most famous lines in TV history, "God as my witteness I swear turkeys could fly."

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,

Post subject: Re: Jeff Buckley
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:06 pm 
Does anyone remember Jeff Buckley, who passed away 5 years ago? :cry He had a voice of an angel...

Was listening to his album, and when Hallelujah played I started bawling like a baby.... Aren't I a goof? :grin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:44 pm 
I'll bet Amber remembers him. She's big fan of him if I recall correctly. I don't think I ever heard anything by him, or if I did I don't know. Maybe I should look for a download, I am kinda curious now.

-----------------------------

She's so anally retentive she wouldn't sit down for fear of sucking up the furniture.

--Patsy Stone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:54 pm 
Yeah!!

It's unbelievable how he can transform ordinary lyrics into powerful, emotional songs with the sheer intensity of his voice.. And the worst thing of all? He passed on at a tender young age of 30, and he had so much more to offer... :sob

Do check out 'Last Goodbye', 'Hallelujah', 'Grace' and 'So Real' if you're thinking of sampling his music..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:02 pm 
PB, I get the same way everytime I hear that song during 'Shrek'.

Silly I know, but yeah I know what you mean.

He has a kinda Chris Rea quality to him. Mark Knopfler has it also, Chris Issac will have it in a couple more years.

Warlock.

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,

Edited by: WebWarlock at: 9/23/03 7:02 pm

Post subject: Robert Palmer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:06 am 
From BBC News:

Quote:
Singer Robert Palmer dies

Friday, 26 September, 2003, 12:04 GMT 13:04 UK

Singer Robert Palmer, 54, has died of a heart attack in Paris, his manager has said.

The British star is best known for his hits Addicted to Love, Some Guys Have All the Luck and Didn't Mean to Turn You On.

He had been in the French capital on a two-day break with partner Mary Ambrose, after recording a TV appearance in the UK.

His manager said he suffered the heart attack in the early hours of Friday morning.

Palmer was also a member of 1980s supergroup Power Station, which also included members of Duran Duran.

The Yorkshire-born singer had recently been on tour of Europe to promote his latest album Drive.

---------

"I want to be Byron... because I want to date young boys." Amber Benson

Edited by: kajo 2000 at: 9/26/03 5:09 am

Post subject: Re: Robert Palmer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:44 am 
Of course, Kajo beats me to it. ;)

Here is an article from the Chicago Tribune.

This is another unexpected death. I actually owned the Power Station album at one time, but a girl took it. I liked it. Some of his early stuff was good, but I was not interested in his later work.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,

Edited by: WebWarlock at: 9/26/03 6:02 am

Post subject: Re: Robert Palmer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:19 am 
Actually, this is kind of sad. One of his records is the first record I ever owned. I was a little girl and we had a gift exchange in school and one of the girls gave me a Robert Palmer record called, "Looking for Clues." I did love the power station, some like it hot!

- - - - - - - - - - -
"Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose."

-Me & Bobby
McGee

Post subject: Re: jeff buckley+robert palmer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:03 am 
hi all

i defantly remember jeff buckley :bow (and continue to remember him hence my screen name) anyone who hasn't heard his music should check it out you don't know what your missing :)

kajo,web warlock and xita how did you find out the news on robert palmer so quickly, i only heard about it 5 mins before i read your posts

very shocked to hear it.

:peace Lilac

Edited by: LilacWine22 at: 9/26/03 9:05 am

Post subject: Re: jeff buckley+robert palmer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:15 am 
Well I read the Chicago Tribune online. Kajo has a direct Internet connection to her cerebral cortex, which gives her access to thousands of news stories 500 ms after they appear on the net.

Xita is a teacher, you don’t get anything past them.

In other news, George Plimpton has also died.

Plimpton has a very varied carrer. In addition to be a world class author he was in several movies. Many might remember him as the guy who was in the ads for the video game consol Intelivision back in the early 80's.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next