The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's just Thursday, MKF! 1/29/04
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:04 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 4
Mrs. gorn is sick today, MKF. Bummer. If we didn't have work and school tomorrow, me and the kids would stay up all night eating junk food and watching tv, but alas, I had to put them to bed. Now I'm all alone. I know I'm not going to win any Parent of the Year award, but damn if there aren't nights I wish I could wake my kids up to play with me.

You know something else that's weird about having kids? I used to love getting colorful kids cereal when I came back from Japan - Fruit Loops, Fruity Pebbles, Lucky Charms. We didn't have kids, and Mrs. gorn pretty well let me get whatever I wanted as long as I didn't make her eat it. Now I've got kids - who these cereals are actually FOR - and Mrs. gorn won't let me buy them because they're not healthy for the kids. I tell her they're not for the kids, they're for me! But she doesn't listen.

One-player Mario Kart sucks, MKF.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:37 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Technically, it's already Friday here, but since I haven't yet gone to bed I think I can stretch a point.

Today was a very good Thursday indeed, since it was my last day at work for two whole weeks. I'm usually not a huge fan of the Christmas holidays, but did I mention that I don't have to go back to work for two whole weeks? :banana :eatme :applause

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:11 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

We love Christmas vacation, don't we, MKF? I've got one more day - just one - and then I'm going to Disneyworld! First real vacation I've had in two years ...

And Christmas Day this year? Yup, on a Thursday, MKF.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to post in this thread when it wasn't Thursday, wayland, but this was on like a Monday or a Saturday. Not even close. I live by the same rule - it isn't the next day until you've gone to bed and woken up, or if the sun starts coming up. I so hate that feeling, but it's one of those things you can't ignore or pretend it's something else. I'm not talking about waking up early and watching the sun rise (if that's the kind of thing you do or like, I can appreciate wanting to see it), but rather that feeling of being up all night ... and then seeing the daylight start creeping in. But if it's two or three in the morning on Friday and you're still up on the Kittenboard, hell if it isn't still Thursday as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:55 am 
2. Floating Rose

Topics: 3
Hello and Happy Thursday, MKF! The kids have one more day of school and then they are off for two weeks. Right now that sounds great, but considering I work from home, I imagine I will be ready for the break to be over in about...one day.

Thought you'd get a kick out of this picture of the little angels. It's from 2010, and it is hands down my favorite Xmas photo of the kids because it is so darn real, and their personalities come shining right through. Sadie, 11 1/2 in this photo, always the performer. (Some might say "drama queen".) Josie, almost 7, the epitome of the "any attention is better than no attention" middle child. And CJ, 3 1/2, with that long-suffering look that screams "HOW MANY girls do I have to live with again?" Totally unposed. Completely unprepared. Best. Picture. Ever.

Attachment:
Xmas 2010 - Copy.jpg
Xmas 2010 - Copy.jpg [ 26.07 KiB | Viewed 8233 times ]
!

Gorn, enjoy your vacation at Disneyworld! Although I'm concerned you've said that "I'm" going to Disneyworld, not "we're" going to Disneyworld. Are you leaving Mrs. Gorn and the Gornlings at home?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:07 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Merry Thursday all!

Deirdre(b1122?) - I would agree. That is up there with best holiday kid pic ever. May the drama all be good at your house over the holiday.

The solstice has come and gone and the days are (or so I've heard) getting longer now. There is a chance I am shaking off my December hibernation and getting ready to do this whole farming thing all over again. I think I can. I think I can. I think I can....

May you all think the same.

Boschi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:46 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

We all went to Disneyworld, deirdreb1122! Well ... MKF and Jiji stayed home, but the rest of us went. I have my faults, to be sure, but going to Disneyworld over Christmas WITHOUT my wife and kids? What kind of a monster do you take me for?

Actually, my youngest daughter has a thing for that little one-eyed green monster in Monsters, Inc., and she makes me pretend like I'm the big blue guy (not much of a stretch, honestly, just a little less blue). There are worse monsters one could be.

Boschi, are you still thinking about farming this fine crisp evening?

Mrs. gorn comes from a farming family, but I never thought to ask her - what exactly DO farmers do in the winter? Can you tinker with your tractor, or anything like that?

Stay warm out there, everyone. MKF says this is a two-witch night tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:36 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

I'm tired, MKF. Is it just me or is the week getting longer? Like they added an extra day in there or something. Lately, every week is Monday / Monday / Monday / Thursday / Friday. I would say I need a vacation, but I already had one of the best vacations ever over Christmas.

Oh, well. We did make it to Thursday, and I'm grateful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:55 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 10
Happy Thursday, MKF. Today I had the last batch of conferences with my students before their first paper is due. Most of the conferences went pretty well, though I did have one student get very frustrated with me. (I wouldn't tell her exactly what to write.) But I have a couple of students excited about the course, which is rewarding.

This will be my first time grading papers for real, and I'm weirdly calm. Part of me waiting for the indecison and fretting to sink in, but I'm mostly just glad I'm not worried about it yet.

I don't get Monday off, but my husband does. Now that I'm teaching, I'm grateful class is in session: 16 weeks is not much time for freshman to write four papers! Still, I'll grumble when he teases me; more fun that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:28 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Oh, it's good to see you again, MKF. Life keeps pulling me further and further away, but you're always right here just where I left you. Warms my heart to see you again on a Thursday.

This is something that happened yesterday that I suddenly felt like writing about, but it was a Wednesday and I thought to myself, goddamn the least I can do is wait one more day and do it in the It's Just Thursday, MKF! thread, the bestest of all threads.

So, Mrs. gorn was working late yesterday. Real late. And when she finally finished, started getting ready to go home, one of her Japanese coworkers asked her to come to Walmart with him and translate so he could get a haircut. Now, I know there are some international kittens here, and I've lived overseas myself - you do NOT need a translator to get a haircut. Especially if you're a guy. It's pretty straight forward. And it's not like the guy just got off the airplane, he's been here for six months. Mrs. gorn did it because that's her job, but she was pissed when she finally got home.

That's not really what I wanted to write about, though, it's just the backstory. It got me thinking about my first experiences in Japan ... and I discovered that I have absolutely ZERO memory of getting my haircut the first three years I was there. I moved to Yokohama after three years, and I can vividly remember the places I used to get my haircut ... but those first years in my first house are an utter blank. An UTTER blank, like it never happened. I know it did because I didn't start growing my hair out until after a couple of years in Yokohama. I had to have gone more or less regularly. Why can't I remember? I remember the post office, the bank, other mundane daily stuff ... why not the barber shop?

I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but I've always had a pretty good memory. This kind of thing has never happened to me before, it's like I suddenly discovered this black hole (albeit tiny) in my life. For three years, 1994-1997, I do not remember getting a haircut.

The only comfort I draw at all from this is that I'm even MORE convinced that you do not need a translator to get a haircut, because if it was at all difficult or a struggle or a challenge, I would've remembered it.

Slightly related story, an American girlfriend I once had in Japan shaved me with a non-electric razor (because I didn't know how to do it myself - true story), and from the time she went back to the States until today ... twenty years now ... I've had a beard. I guess I'll save that for another Thursday.

EDIT - Yes, I do trim my beard. No, I do not look like ZZ Top. Wish I did, but Mrs. gorn won't let me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:08 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Except for those rare occasions where Christmas happens to fall on a Thursday, THIS is the bestest Thursday of them all! Happy Thanksgiving, MKF! How wonderful to have a holiday that ALWAYS comes on a Thursday! But even if it didn't, Thanksgiving would still be one of my favorite holidays. The smell of turkey all through the house, the Macy's Parade, the football games, the biggest dinner of the year, more football games ... this is what I hope heaven is like. We just wrapped up watching the parade, kids went nuts seeing Santa, now they're all watching that dog show. I'm not so keen on that, but it's all good.

Most of all, though - and I do take this seriously - I reflect on all I'm genuinely thankful for. I'm away from my larger family this year, but I'm with Mrs. gorn and my daughters in our new house, enjoying the holiday together. A new house, a new job, everything worked out so much better than expected. From the bottom of my heart I'm grateful and thankful for what I have. We should all probably be thankful every day, but there's nothing wrong with setting aside a holiday specifically for it (and filling it with turkey and football).

Enjoy the holiday, MKF! I wish her and and all of you a very happy Thanksgiving Thursday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:01 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Merry Christmas Eve Thursday, MKF!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:17 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hey, MKF! It's Thursday!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Anybody home, MKF? It IS Thursday. Any of the old Thursday crew out there ... I miss you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:18 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

It's Thursday again, MKF! Thursday is supposed to be a happy day - and it IS - but I was scrolling up through this thread and it's been YEARS, I mean literally YEARS since I posted on consecutive Thursdays ... It boggles the mind. Even though I'm hardly ever around these days, I swear there is not a single goddamn Thursday that goes by without me thinking about the "It's Just Thursday, MKF!" thread. Every Thursday, at one point or another, I find myself REMEMBERING it's Thursday and how wonderful Thursdays are ... and then I don't do anything about it, just go on with my day (to be fair, Thursday is a pretty good day to just go on with).

I think I'll sit here for a bit with MKF, reminisce for a while, see if anyone shows up with an extra flamey candle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:13 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Happy Thursday, MKF! Mrs. gorn has the day off tomorrow, and the kids get a half day - am I the only one putting in a full day on Veterans Day? I'm not a veteran and I'd probably just BBQ the day away and drink beer, but I still think I ought to have the day off.

I jest, but hats off to any veteran kittens out there. dline used to wear combat boots, but I don't recall if she was actually a veteran or not.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:49 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Huh. It appears it has been a couple years since I gave Thursday the proper respect.

Gorn is the keeper of the Thursday flame, all hail Thursday.

Anyone? Anyone?...

It's Thursday. Someone should buy be a beer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:26 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Got a PayPal account?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:43 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 9
18 minutes until Thursday is over for me. Seemed a bit rough at work today plus all the snow and flat tire (on my brand new tires).

Thursday is awesome! I updated a fic, finally finishing the second half of a short. Go me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:58 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Last working day of 2016, MKF! What a wonderful Thursday! Next time we meet, I'll be wallowing in Christmas presents!

I worked pretty damn hard, I feel like I deserve a rest. Not traveling anywhere, nobody's coming here, just a quite two weeks with Mrs. gorn and the girls. This really is one of the best feelings in life, the last day of work before Christmas vacation. It's like Thursday gave me a beer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:12 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Happy New Year's Thursday, MKF! The first Thursday of a new year! Boschi made a brief appearance at the end of last year, can we get any more of the Thursday regulars to show? Boschi, I KNOW you're not farming in this weather, get back here and tell us about frozen tractors and hoop houses!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:28 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hey, MKF! I didn't get MLK's Day off, so this was a pretty long week for me. But it's Thursday, so all is good. I'll keep stopping by, make sure the light's on for when the others show up. See you next week!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:23 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hey, MKF! I had a pretty good Thursday! I just realized this looking at my profile on the side there that I've been on the Kittenboard for ten years now ... Doesn't quite make me one of the Old Timers, but ten years has that milestone kinda feel to it. I wish I'd noticed this back on January 27th so I could've celebrated the anniversary.

Anyway, I made it in for another Thursday and the weekend is shaping up to be a good one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Hi MKF - it's Thursday, and Thursday is when movies open here, so this evening I'll be seeing the Lego Batman Movie at last. (The local distributor held it up for a month and a half because they figured they'd make more money if it came out during school holidays - despite pulling the same trick a couple of years back for the original Lego Movie and admitting afterwards that it cost them $5 million - but I've had a whole month and a half to be grumpy, so tonight I'm just going to be delighted to see it.)

(I know from your point of view it's probably still Wednesday, but I promise it is Thursday. Hopefully MKF will forgive the confusion.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:22 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

All is good, Artemis - Thursday is all about YOUR point of view.

And what a Thursday it is, MKF! Yeah, I know it came out the other day, but I'm just now see the video clips from the Buffy Reunion. I actually don't really care that they're not announcing a new show or special or anything like that - this is more than good enough. None of us come around here as much as we used to, but damn, doesn't it feel good again?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:17 pm 
18. Breast Gal

It's Towel Day, MKF! Do you know where your towel is? (Of course you do, you're a sensible kitten.)

For the uninitiated, the relevant extract from the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:29 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Hey MKF, did you know this Thursday in 1978, Charon was discovered? It's the largest of Pluto's moons - so large the centre of their twin orbits is outside Pluto as well, which helped kick off that whole 'not a real planet' kerfuffle - and as its core is a dormant mass relay which, once we get out there are fire it up, will speed us on our way to colonising the galaxy. I wish they'd hurry up with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:23 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Yowza! Does sound exciting but I think I'll stick with Terra Firma, thank you althought it IS on my bucket list to take one of those flights that does about 16 parabolas where you experience zero gravity, moon gravity, mars gravity etc. Anyone else wanna go? The money keeps holding me up, waaaay too expensive right now.

So my Thursday started with me going, whoaaa - it's THURSDAY! Get yourself to bed immediately! So off I go. :shock

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:48 pm 
18. Breast Gal

I'd totally go. I have a standing rule that if anyone offers to put me on a space mission of any kind, I'll do it - given that I'd probably be nauseous half the time and completely useless the other half, I think in the back of my mind I'm comforted by knowing that nobody's going to make the offer and I can just stay nice and comfortable planetside. Still, it's a nice thought to have.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:07 am 
18. Breast Gal

Happy Thursday, MKF! Today in 1995 the space shuttle Atlantis docked with the Russian space station Mir, and despite what Michael Bay would have people believe, they didn't do it while hurtling around each other like demented flamenco dancers, nor did the station get destroyed. (I mean, it did eventually, but not then.) In other news, in 1975 Steve Wozniak fired up the prototype Apple computer and took it for a test drive, and in 2007 Apple got busy again, releasing the first iPhone. No word yet on when they'll get around to one that cats can use, but I'm sure Willow doesn't mind operating the MKFhone on your behalf in the meantime.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:34 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

MKF loves the MKFhone!

She also likes having the family home again. Any day your family comes home after being away is a good day, but it's extra nice on a Thursday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next