The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: How do you give back - The Community Service Thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:29 am 
9. Gay Now

You go girl Deb!!! You got this ma, you got this!!! I dislike being benched still, but I will be back strong.

It's been awhile since I've posted here, but have been active nonetheless. In September while I was out in Argentina I found myself in a restaurant starring at a cute old couple. They were in love and laughing. I thought to myself that is the future me no doubt. I went ahead and paid for their dinner anonymously. A different night we had left over pizza to take home. I knew we had a lot of food at the rental and didn't need to take the pizza home. I found a homeless person sleeping and gave it to him instead.

In October when I went to order our wedding bands at Kay Jewelers they were selling stuffed animals to raise money for kids with leukemia/cancer. I didn't buy just one, but 2 cases of these stuffed animals. I told them to keep them and give them away to the kids for the holidays. In reality wtf was I going to do with 2 cases of stuffed animals. lol

In November I picked up our bands and received a $100 voucher from Kay. I can use it to get $100 off a future purchase. I have no intentions of buying anything else. Since the voucher takes effect in January 5, 2015. I decided I will go back to Kay and find a customer buying an engagement ring and give them this voucher. I will do this come next month. Hey $100 is $100. Why waste this opportunity by doing nothing and turn it into something instead.

Yesterday I went to Denny's to pick up a to go order and found a group of cops sitting at a table. I asked the server to give me their bill and paid for them anonymously. I know it's been tough for cops lately and I do believe that not all of them are bad or shady. It was just my way to show that and boost the moral. Civil rights organizer Bayard Rustin said, "We are all one. And if we don't know it, we will learn the hard way." Here we are the year 2014 and we have evolved in our medicine, in our technology, but as people we are worse it seems. We keep moving backwards. We may live in the United States of America, but it feels like the Divided People of America. I don't see many races, but only one...the human race. If I can't change the world I will at least change ME. Improve where I need improvement. Where I do wrong I will do right. When I think negative thoughts I will act out positively instead.

Today I was at Newport Beach to catch the sunrise. This brought forth an amazing sense of happiness for me. :D In the process I picked up trash and recycle off the beach. Never mind that I did that. It wasn't cool that I had to. Come on people get it together.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:54 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Jen - wow! You are keeping up your wonderful random goodness. Thank you.

Congratulations on the engagement!

I sent you an email and text today to make sure I have your current address. Santa left some gifts here for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:39 am 
9. Gay Now

Deb - Thank you again for the gifts you sent. I am yet to enjoy them, but believe me I will when the time is right. I appreciate you giving me that option. Oh by the way the Red Cross finally caught up with the times. Since California is a regulated state for tattoos you will no longer be deferred for 1 year after getting one. Sadly for me I am still deferred until June. This rule took affect on December 15, 2014. So anyone like me who got a tattoo before that date is still deferred. This of course makes no sense to me, but okay.

I've been going hard on collecting recycle. I am determined to fill my 5 gallon bottle with change by all means necessary. While driving around if I spot any recycle on the side of the road. I pull over and park out of the way and collect it. I not only collect recycle, but I will pick up trash that I spot around it. So it's a small way for me to clean up the environment.

This isn't so much for the community, but for a friend who happens to be a co-worker. He never takes time off because he can't afford to. I know he has a girlfriend up north. As a thank you for doing a great job and being consistent in the year 2014. I booked a roundtrip flight for him to see his lady.

I completed giving a $100 voucher yesterday to a random couple at Kay Jewelers. They were happy to save $100.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:24 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
I became a blooddonor today!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:53 am 
9. Gay Now

T.G.I.F. wrote:
I became a blooddonor today!
Nice!!! Welcome to the club girl. I hope your donations are always smooth. For any days that are not just remember the importance behind your actions.

It's sooo good to be back in the game. Apparently the Red Cross made a mistake with me this past Christmas. They should have never rejected me. Seeing the new rules about tattoos was implemented not everyone had their facts straight. My coordinator hit me up earlier in the month to welcome me back.

I donated platelets on February 14th. I had to do it on V Day. Pretty cool to come back on that day. I had a smooth and successful donation.

I was able to make another deposit of platelets on February 23rd. It feels great to back and making up for loss time. I plan on going hard now.

Deb - One of the things on my to do list is to share this with someone. I have never donated blood or platelets with anybody personal. Not everyone does this as I'm sure you know. I have a lot of people in my life and only one other person barely started to donate. I don't know many people close to me that will go hard or be consistent at this like you or me. Which makes this all the more special. I will be in your hood come April. I'll hit you up and give you the dates. I'm hoping I can donate with you. I think it would be a great opportunity. I can't think of doing this with anybody else.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:12 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

T.G.I.F. - Congratulations and welcome to the fold!

Jen - Wow. So you're back at it? That's awesome news. I think I've got 4 double platelet donations this year. I donated on Monday and they were so desperate for platelet donors... It would be so wonderful for you to be here and for us to get to donate together. Seriously!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:21 am 
9. Gay Now

In the month of March of donated platelets on March 3rd, 11th, and 19th. I wanted to squeeze in another but wanted to rest a bit for April.

I am so happy even a week after(April 10th) donating platelets in Texas. This marks my 5th state. It was truly a happy moment. So now I have California, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Texas down for donations. I'd like to take some local trips near me to different states and knock those out. It's totally doable.

Deb - Thank you for being there. It was awesome meeting you. I've always thought highly of you and think you're just wonderful, but meeting you just amplified all that. You're one sweet lady and just awesome!!! A true highlight to my trip in Texas.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:41 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Jen - It was wonderful meeting you and having breakfast. I wish I could have donated with you but at least I was able to see you at the center.

I donated again last week so that's 6 or 7 for the year. I've decided to only to regular doubles as I keep having trouble with the big doubles and small triples.

I've been making a lot of donations for people's birthdays and (unfortunately) memorials. And my ex-wife (a breast cancer survivor) is doing an event called Art Bra as a fund raiser for the support network so I'll donate to that on the first.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:26 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
I couldn't give blood two weeks ago, my HB was too low. So now I have to wait three months before I can give blood again. Eating my spinach and nuts the last two weeks ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:50 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

I finally got to donate platelets Saturday for the first time since June. I think that is 9 or 10 donations this year and 20 gallons+ in my life. My iron was high enough although my BP was much higher than usual. I have an appointment for next week as I try to get back on schedule.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:29 am 
28. Com...plete

I haven't had the time and energy to volunteer lately, but I've been donating all my earnings from my secondary job. It's nice to feel, for the first time ever, like I can afford to give a little! A few weeks ago, I bought several wish list items for 7 different classrooms that serve underprivileged and/or special needs kids, and I also recently donated to a movie being made about Marsha P. Johnson. This morning I ordered a new thermometer for the school I work at, as I discovered this week that the only working one in the school was a private purchase by one of the teachers. (It's probably ridiculous that I'm excited about a thermometer, but it reads foreheads *and* ears! and temporal thermometers are so much easier with squirmy babies.) I'm looking in to fostering an elephant, and also considering donations to Bernie Sanders's campaign and Planned Parenthood.

I only work a few hours now and then, and it's minimum wage, but it's fun to take the money I earn and find cool new ways to give back.

I hope, we'll have more happy ever after
I hope, we can all live more fearlessly...

~Jas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:29 pm 
9. Gay Now

I found myself at Echo Park yesterday. I had never been there since I don't live in the LA area. I was so stoked that I randomly stumbled upon it. It's a lovely park and well kept. I saw an opportunity and took it. There were numerous kids playing at the playground. An ice cream lady was standing there and I asked her if by any chance anyone had bought ice cream from her. When she said no, I walked over to each adult in the area and asked if it was okay for me to buy their kids ice cream.

In the end I bought ice cream for a flock of kids and some adults. It was an awesome moment. One parent was so touched she wanted to take a picture of me with her kids and post it on facebook. It made me laugh because I wasn't expecting that. It was sweet and didn't deny the request. It was beautiful day.

Doing things like this is good for the soul. Not just for yourself, but for those you're doing it for. On my last day as a 32 year old woman (on September 10th) I asked a server from all the tables she was serving who was the best. The table she pointed to had a group of people. They all seemed happy. I took care of their bill and gave her a big tip. I asked to remain anonymous from that table. The bar tender who attended me I left him a nice tip too. I also left him a note thanking him for spending my last day as a 32 woman with me. Of course both the server and bar tender weren't aware of their tips or my notes until after I left. It was a wonderful way to finish my day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:10 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Jenny B - That's an awesome thing.

I have failed my iron twice in the last 2 weeks so no donations for me. I wanted to go today but by the time I thought the schedule would work for me they had no appointments. I will try again on Halloween.

So ... donations, donations, donations and always giving granola bars to hungry folks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:24 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
So much sweetness and generosity; I'm humbled by how personally people put themselves out there. I have a side business producing/directing/writing shows and I give 20% of the profits to charities. I volunteer my time with a history club, too. But you're showing me some good ways to make it warmer and more one on one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10