The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight issues, Whats your view??
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:11 am 
Hey all!!

Ive been a kitten for a few years now, but i dont post much.Any way, I’m currently doing a Fine Art degree and for my current project I’m doing a documentary on various weight issues. I just thought I’d ask you guys about how you felt on the subject.

I have a few questions to ask, to answer them either post here or email me @ doco_question@hotmail.com

Age??

Height??

Weight??

Do you think you are overweight?? If so does it make you feel uncomfortable?? If not what do you think of people who are overweight??

Have you ever been bullied about your weight??

How do you feel about your body??

If you could change anything about yourself what would it be and why??

If you could look like anybody who would it be and why??

What do you think about the modern image of “what women should look like”.

If you can think of any more things you would like to say about weight issues (such as dieting and keeping fit) please feel free to elaborate. I would love to get a good discussion going here peeps, as it would help me out a lot. But if you do post could you PLEASE take the time to email me your answers to the questions because I’ll be able to use them for my work.

Thanks guys all

Sophia

Post subject: Re: Weight issues, Whats your view??
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:14 am 
mwahaha.. lemme be the first to start:

1) Age: 21

2) Height: 165 cm

3) Weight: fluctuates btwn 50kg-55kg

I admit I might be on the pudgy side (I've a couple of baby love handles on my belly *lol*), but I don't think I'm overweight, so i guess I'm pretty comfortable about my overall body, give and take a few critical pokes to the tummy when fancy strikes.

Generally I'm fine with overweight people --- coz people do come in all shapes and sizes (the Lord God made them all!) , but I'd be concerned if their health and well-being are compensated as a result of obesity.

Nah, never been bullied over my body -- local kids won't dare to -- I'll taser them with my patented glare.. lol. But my mom does tease me abit when I go home during the weekends, coz she's 49, a marathon runner and has a set of defined abs!!! Ironic isnit it? lol

I don't agree with going on fad diets and supplements, somehow pumping chemicals into the body in an attempt to shape and bend the body against its will is just wrong, not to mention dangerous. In fact a year back an actress in my country had irreverisble liver damage as a result of a run-in with a diet suppliemnt. So long as a person exercises regularly and follws a moderate diet, regardless of size she's ok in my opinion.

To open another can of worms, there's another group of people who are overweight for medical reasons, such as taking depression meds, diebetes etc..

heh :)

Ok.. if i were to change anythign about my body, my lovely tummy flabs will be the first to go!! And I won't wanna look like someelse :P

Personally i feel that the modern world's perception of an ideal female body-- thin, rakish, malnutritioned -- a glorified clotheshorse, is overrated and against the natural laws. I lean more towards the Grecian ideal -- curvy body, ample hips and of course, a defined body (or at least a strong one) would be a bonus :P

Edited by: peebrain at: 10/6/03 10:23 am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:45 pm 
Hmmm...

Height: 5'6"

Weight: about 135 lbs

Am I overweight? No. I have about 11% bodyfat. I work hard to keep it like that. I eat a relatively balanced, hight-protein diet and exercise four days a week.

Have I ever been bullied about my body? No. I've never been bullied about anything. I may be short but apparently I'm fairly intimidating.

My body's okay. Nothing special. If I could change anything, I'd like to be four or five inches taller. With luck I'll get one or two more, but my parents haven't given me the best genetic material to work with.

If I could look like anyone, it would be Steve Reeves. Well, body-wise anyway.

I don't like the modern image of the "ideal" woman's body. It's hardly ideal from my standpoint. I think that a woman should be strong, with definite curves. Broad shoulders are a plus, but not necessary. But she's got to actually look like a woman, not a coathanger.

Choosing not to decide is still a choice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:19 pm 
Thanx for your imput guys

BB

Shadow Willow

Post subject: Weight issues, Whats your view??
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:58 pm 
Age?? 41

Height?? 5' 8"

Weight?? 186

Do you think you are overweight?? If so does it make you feel uncomfortable?? If not what do you think of people who are overweight??

yes - about 10 lbs, sometimes - as far as what i think...it depends on the situation. if someone is using it as a crutch, or is getting in the way on purpose just to be an ass....well of course, that's no good! but sometimes there are medical reasons why somebody may be overweight.

yes, by my boss

for the most part, it's just fine. i destroyed it playing hockey in college.

no glasses!

richard gere - duh

too SKINNY & i can't stand the junkie look....i prefer a woman with some curves. the classic 40's & 50's pin-up look sure works for me! last time i checked, Amber's answer - can't remember the exact quote - but it was somehting about being her being a girl & having boobs and hips.....i never wanted a girl that looks like a 12-year old boy...that's just creepy!

If you can think of any more things you would like to say about weight issues (such as dieting and keeping fit) please feel free to elaborate.

i have two young boys - aged 4 and 16 months. they keep me hopping, but as far as an organized workout routine...not for a while yet! too many partents of young children just don't get the opportunity in this economy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:43 pm 

Height: 6' 5" (1.9556 meters)

Weight: 330 pounds (150 kg)

1) Yes.

2) Yes, less mobile, less flexible, etc.

When younger, yes. Then I grew to a lot. Bullying quickly stopped, but I despise bullies and their tactics to this day.

I'm proud. People who don't know me are intimidated by my sheer physical size. I'm normally a person who resolves conflicts in a peaceful manner, but I am not above using my size to physically separate combatants. My favorite method is picking up the largest combatant off the ground and moving them away from the other person. It gets the point across.

Oh sweetie, that would take more bandwidth than the Kitten Board currently possesses!

Pierce Brosnan. You're kidding, right?

I, as a male, despise it with a passion. No human should be made to feel inferior due to someone's notions of what is beautiful. 90% of the world's populace will never achieve the image in any meaningful way. The other 10% will suffer even more, as they will be treated like cattle and told that losing that extra 15 pounds will make such a difference in their career. And heaven forbid that they grow old! *GASP!* Those who perpetuate such a sham on women (and now men) are making people do harmful things to achieve an image that cannot be maintained without harm to the body.

My ideal of the female form is shown in the works of painter Peter Paul Rubens. Examples include The Union of Earth and Water. Oh, and Amber, too!

More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly. Woody Allen (1935 - )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:43 am 
Age?? 17

Height?? 173.cm

Weight?? 62.5kg

Do you think you are overweight?? If so does it make you feel uncomfortable??

I don't think I'm overweight. I know I used to be. But then I dieted and lost about 8-9 kg (about 26 pounds) and now I feel great :D . I guess I could still stand to loose another 2-2.5kg, but no reason I won't achieve that by next month!

When I was overweight I suffered from it emotionally as well as socially… and also, couldn't shop for pretty clothes!! Or really any clothes. Which sucked ass. It's a very simple equation for me: skinny = content/happy; Fat = miserable.

If not what do you think of people who are overweight??

Erm… now that I'm *not* overweight anymore I have much more tolerance/compassion for those who are, because I know how hard it is. Also, I don't mind women being a little overweight, they could still be attractive to me. When I was fatter I used to have a really picky taste for women (i.e skinny twigs… ugh…), which is sick.

You try bulling a wide-shouldered, buzz-cut, 173cm tall, and 72kg heavy Tomboy, who has a bitching rap for hitting back! Nah, I was just taunted as a little girl… but that was about being generally weird rather than fat.

Ohhh how much free time do you have on your hands? A year? I'll try to be short.

Generally, I like my body. I like how physically strong and able I am… plus random genetic traits like a very fair skin. Naturally there are traits I hate… but I don’t hate myself half as badly as when I was overweight. My feelings regarding my body change rapidly and dramatically in response to various situations. For example, if someone had just called me up for being impolite/vulgar/rude, I will feel like a fat pig. Ugh. If I just scored an A+ in a test or, *cough*, had a positive, erm… sexual experience…, I would feel like the most beautiful, long-legged Goddess.

I would make myself musically inclined, with a rich Alto voice that was never out of key. With absolute hearing, to boot. And some sense of rhythm.

As for the underlying question – what would you change about your body – I'd wish myself a healthy set of teeth (I despise going to the dentist) and perfect vision.

Wynona Ryder! She's so astonishingly beautiful, but can still look sort of androgynous and tomboyish. Plus, she is reasonably shorter than me. She's not a typical Hollywood beauty and has the whole More than Meets the Eye / Psycho Chick thing going.

Second choice would be Willow. For mightily obvious reason – plus my very own privet superstition that redheads possess magic powers.

Beautiful woman do come in all shapes and sizes, and it's a sin to claim otherwise! Sure, some models are drop-dead gorgeous, even though modern image of what pretty clothes should look like could make any woman look like a hag…

But that doesn't mean there aren't any drop-dead gorgeous 40's-pinup-girls, androgynous/tomboys...whatever - there are a 1000 different types of beauty out there, and I'm not willing to settle for one!

Anything else I can contribute… humm, how about this: dieting is not impossible. They're always throwing it in your face how its just SO IMPOSSIBLE to become fit and thin. Well, you bet it is through self-starvation – but through reasonable, responsible, healthy and balanced eating it's COMPLETELY possible. And you know what I mean. Just cut the chocolates and pasta and have some salad instead. Doesn't mean you can't eat anything tasty or starve for days – just watch what you're putting into your body and make sure it's good stuff. It works and after a while doesn't take up any special effort.

I love my long lost Jewish little-potato twin. In a prison way.

Edited by: Mrs Vertigo at: 10/28/03 5:47 am