The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Wheel of Time
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:00 am 
For anyone who has never heard of it, The Wheel of Time is a fantasy book series by Robert Jordan. I don't know how many kittens have read it or want to talk about it, but if they do here's your chance. For those who have read it there is plenty to be said I think. I can think of a few positive and negative things to say. I'll do that later though, must go to work now. Just for indepth discussion starter's sake: My favourite character is Nynaeve. She kicks ass man.

-------------------------

Coffee, Food, Kisses and Gay Love........Get it while you are hot

Edited by: DrG at: 4/9/03 11:01:47 pm

Post subject: Re: The Wheel of Time
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:13 am 
Hey! My brother loves these books. He just bought a bunch of the hardcovers from online because his paperback copies were falling apart.

Maybe I'll have to steal some from him and check these out.

Coolness.

________
"Oh, good, my dog found the chainsaw."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:14 am 
Oh yay! Yeah, Nynaeve is cool, I have nothing against her, but, like I said in the names thread, I like Mat and Egwene the best. Min's real cool though too. And of course Perrin. Can I just say that I pretty much like all of the characters?

I like the really complex world that RJ has made. I think I like long fantasy serials because one of my complaints with books is often that I wish they continued longer so that you find out more about what happens in the person's life (like David Eddings series of books which I forget if they have a big title for them, but the one with Polgara the sorceress - the story was first 5 books, then there were 5 more, and then they added two more books that further explained parts of the stories!)

If we're going to be talking about plots and theories and all that, can I ask that we do spoiler warnings for anything from the new book? Since it came out so recently and all (and since I haven't read yet and I've avoided too many reviews so as not to be spoiled).

Yeah, everyone should read these, they're really good. A friend gave them to me my senior year of high school when there were only 6 (there are 10 now) and I read all 6 500-1000 page books in a month and a half. and during school no less.

~La

What is the difference between a drunk and a stoner?

The drunk will drive through a stop sign while the stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Edited by: La at: 4/9/03 11:15:36 pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:55 am 
i seriously dislike the wheel of time, way way way too much of everything, you lose track of, asnd in my case all sympathy for the characters, except for maybe Lanfear, who dies, Liandrin who is enslaved. Plus I considered it to be a little homophobic, Liandrin who was obviously gay was a terrible witch, kind of got the idea that there was sumthing going on between Moiraine and Egwene tho :p plus the story started to lose it for me the more it went on, and balefire was just a shoddy deus ex machinae sorry for the critical but thats how I feel, an ex-friend made me read it and eventually I ended up loathing it, but maybe partly because I was pressured so much to like it.

this one time, at witch camp!

Post subject: WOT
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:13 am 
To think I sparked at Thread *is excited* well I would just like to say that I love the WOT. I just wish the books came out more often then once every 2 years. my best friend got me into them my first semester in college and I read all the 7 books that were currently out and the one that came out while I was reading during that semester. I love how much detail goes in to keeping all the plot lines going. and I think that what eaynever is going on between Min Rand Elayne, and Aviendha its not homophobic may not be homophilic but its not homophobic but thats just my opinion and this happened much later in the series so if you only read the first 3 or 4 books you wouldn't see it.

But min is my favorite character she is smart and never lets Rand boss her around or anything. and unlike most the women in the book she rarly reads something wrong and blows a situation way out of wack.

my second favorite is Faile cause she gets what she wants too. but she's *spoilers* Kidnapped right now so we dont' get to hear alot from her.

bridgette is pretty cool too not sure if I spelled her name right. did anyone else get the hint a few books back that her lover who is a hero of legend who was suposed to be born back was maybe Oliver the boy who is runing around with Mat?

just my theory

Minn:kitty

Post subject: Re: WOT
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:48 am 
Yeah, Brigitte (i think that's the right spelling...) is cool. It rocks that she's Elayne's warder. I think the problem with Olver being her reborn lover is his age. He's too old to have been reborn.

~La

The drunk will drive through a stop sign while the stoner will wait for it to turn green.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:31 am 
I am not sure who recommended this series to me but when I started reading it I became hooked. I read the 7 parts that were out and I loved them all. I had to wait about a year for part 8 and maybe that is part of the problem. I could not get into it, but it was not just because of the waiting period (in that time I reread all 7 books so I wasn't really out of it), it was also because I was getting lost in all the new characters and plots and subplots. It really is too much for me. I have not been able to get through part nine at all and for the moment I have lost interest.

What I like(d) about the series are the strong female characters, even the baddies. I actually do not like the men (when it comes to the main characters), except Thom Merrilin and Lan. Rand, Perrin and Matt are just too whiney for my taste and I thoroughly dislike them for the way they treated Moirraine. I can understand their initial mistrust, but they just kept on treating her disrespectfully and blaming her for their problems even after it was clear it was not her doing and that she saved their lives over and over again.

I don't consider the books to be homophobic, but like with Star Trek I find the lack of lesbian/gay characters disappointing to say the least. This series lends itself to it perfectly. So many strong female characters and instead of Elaine and Aviendha being lovers as I feel they should be, they really are made for each other, they stand in line with Min to get into bed with Rand. What I also don't like is that nasty sect, the Children of the Light, it reminds me too much of real life radical hate groups that I rather not be reminded of when spend some time in fantasyland.

I do plan on getting back into the story again though, I want to know how this ends, and there are so many fascinating aspects and characters, but maybe I will wait until the last book has actually been written. Heh. Hopefully this thread will inspire me to get back into it sooner.

Edit: Hmm, I too got the impression that Oliver is Birgitte's lover reborn. I don't remember why. Maybe it is because he is described as a less than handsome boy, just like Birgitte's lover who was always reborn before her and Birgitte wasn't supposed to be reborn yet, so it could be.

Edited by: DrG at: 4/10/03 9:38:02 am

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:26 pm 
Ok, what's the title of the first WOT book?? for that matter, could someone give me the titles of the books in order, so I read them in the right order?? That is the way to read them, right??

Thank you for your assistance. :grin

ETA: I got the list!! Thanks!!

skittles

"Before I built a wall I'd ask to know

What I was walling in or walling out,

And to whom I was like to give offense." - Robert Frost, Mending Wall

Edited by: skittles  at: 4/10/03 7:32:00 pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:23 pm 
firstly, I dont throw the H word around with any ease, I added little perhaps theres a better word to describe how it made me feel but I dont know it. Secondly the way these books were promoted to me, was kinda scary it was almost like a cult, this guy had to get everyone to like it, it disturbed me after a while, and he personally by book eight or so had in fact come to despise most of the characters, it was weird, he still had to read it tho, thats not my style.

It had some very interesting ideas yes, the Aes Sedai, the Forsaken, but I think these and other ideas were poorly iomplemented, especially the Forsaken. I will give him this un tarnished criticism, he described his cultures in a manner not equaled in my mind since Tolkien, most fantasy cultures come across as cheap knock offs. And am I the only one who kept thiking Paul Atredies and the fremen with all the Rand and Aiel stuff? (Im referring to Dune if your confused)

this one time, at witch camp!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:54 pm 
Dr.G,

Did you know there was a Wheel of Time game? Written by Jordan himself with Wizards of the Coast.

It uses the D20 system, the same as Dungeons and Dragons.

www.wizards.com/wheelofti...=welcome,3

I haved looked it over and it looks cool. It definantly made me want to check out the books.

Warlock

-----

Web Warlock

The Other Side,
home of Liber Mysterium: The Netbook of Witches and Warlocks

"If this is all the gods can do, I'm over to the Darkside so fast." - Tom Servo Mystery Science Theater 3000, Episode 903 "Pumaman".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:48 am 
ok in order

Eye of the World

The Great Hunt

The Dragon Reborn

The Shadow Rising

The Fires of Heaven

Lord of Chaos

A Crown of Swords

The Path of Daggors

Winter's Heart

Crossroads of Twilight

there they are all ten. my best friend found this really good theory that I really don't understand cause I haven't read LOtR yet (I'm waiting to finish the movies so that they aren't ruined by the book*yes I'm werid*) but the theory goes that tolken made it to be similar in ways to other fantisy books espesically LOtRs because its like the series says the wheel turns and ages come and go so those worlds are all ages that have yet to come or have already been. the world is made and broken and made again. so in theory it binds all worlds together... which to me is more then my little mind can handle I just go MMM Books GOOOD... :read

so when she explained it to me I was HUH?:thud but so the story goes

Minn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:25 am 
I think the Eye of the World is the best book of WoT. I would love to reread it again without knowing the story because it was so great to discover the way the world worked and to learn about all of the different characters. But it's also great to reread the whole series (which I think I should do before I read the new book - I've got my summer planned out for me already!) because there are a lot of prophecies throughout that you can recognize as happening in future books. Plus, since each book has so much information, it also reminds you of little side stories and minor characters that may come into play later on.

Last I heard, RJ was planning 12 books for the series. So we're almost near the end. 4 more years.

~La

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:42 pm 
really cause I heard he was just gonna keep one writing them till he died which would leave all of us on a cliff hanger wondering what reallly happened in the end LOL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:52 pm 
heh, he'd better not. that would not be very nice.

~La

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:42 pm 
Webwarlock, I actually have a Wheel of Time computer game, but it isn't one of the ones you linked. I haven't even played it yet, in fact I haven't played most of the games I own. It's still on my ever growing things to do list.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:27 pm 
I have actually played that game it was very difficult but a friend of mine had all the cheats and it was the only way to get thru it. very hard and not really with the story line of the book it was off story but it was still cool I thought