The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: my drawing needs help!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 3:52 pm 
hi all, i decided today to find out my art box for the first time in 4 years and do a load of W/T pix.

ive never been any good at drawing ppl, and i only had a HB pencil :( but i managed to scribble this out in half an hour tonight...still not finished coz i need some better leads to do the hair!

but can you willow experts tell me wat you thinks wrong with it. i think the nose...and her face is too wide!!!

upload.turbosport.co.uk/g...447765.jpg

it would be a great help...and ill find out some ink, and paint tomorow maby :)

Post subject: Re: my drawing needs help!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 4:33 pm 
Not an expert but I'd agree with what you said, although you nailed the hair in my opinion :) I look forward to seeing what the finished picture looks like.

-----------------------
You know, it's a real deal relationship and that's why people can relate to it
Amber Benson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:14 pm 
A little tip that might help if you don't know it already. Sometimes it is hard to see what is 'wrong' in a drawing, especially a portrait. It helps if you look at your drawing in a mirror. Trust me it works, if you look at the reflection you can tell right away where and what the problem is. My mother, who draws and paints very well indeed told me this. It has helped me a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:09 pm 
Well, I think it's a great drawing, and doesn't need anything major done to it. But here's a few suggestions (and I'm not really the best person to be giving out tips, but anyway :shy ).

My overall impression is that she looks a bit butch. I think this is because her head's turned very slightly, so it's hard to get the angle of the face right. So the neck needs to be thinner, and her left cheek needs to be a little softer to compensate for the slight movement of her head. Her forehead seems a bit small, but it might just be that the eyes or eyebrows are slightly too high. I'm not sure, but her right shoulder might need to be higher up. As for her nose, Aly's nose (and noses in general) I find very difficult. My suggestion is to try sketching things you find difficult on a separate sheet of paper. I have a few sheets in my sketchbook comprised almost entirely of noses. As for pencils, I've got the whole set from F to 9B but I mostly only use an HB, a 2B and a charcoal.

Hope this helps. :D

-------------

Maybe we should focus on the gobbledygook?

Tara, 'The Yoko Factor' shooting script

¦ Slain by Buffy ¦

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:54 pm 
I think it's a great drawing and I don't think she looks butch, although I always think of Willow was this wannabe butch anyway ;) The neck width might be giving you that impression though.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Everything is turning out so dark..."

"No, it's okay. Lost is good. Willow and I always know how to find each other!"

Post subject: pencils and such
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:51 am 
hmm... I like it. It has nice structure and I don't think it's too wide at all. HB tends to give a very "Hard" stone quality to a drawing, especially that of a portrait.. Its kinda hard when you're only working with one lead... I'd recommend going down to you're local art shop and picking up a few others. 2B, 3B,4B and 6B also, I'd get a blending stump and some charcoal. Then you can layer you're drawing using the different leads, this will give you more dimensions and depth to your drawing.

I've been drawing portraits for quite a long time and I have to say you're right on track for the beginning stages of your drawing, just get some more leads in there, and don't be afraid to make really bold lines. Other than that I think you did a really great job! I hope you post the finished product. :D

xoxo

Emms

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:10 pm 
Nice pretty nice on the general part but you should work more on the detail well im sure the pencil didnt help much w/ that

B;)