The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows Media Skins
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:19 am 
Okay, so I’ve been playing around with developing a skin for WMP for a while now. I finally finished one that I like. This first one is an Amber Benson skin (as opposed to a Tara skin). I do plan on eventually making a Tara skin, an Alyson skin, a Willow skin and a Willow & Tara skin, but I wanted to see how this one was received first.

You will notice a picture theme to this skin as well. At first I had used unrelated pics, but then I thought it would be cooler to have them be part of the series. I’ve always loved the picture that makes up the body of the skin – there is just something about it (and I have a pair of jeans just like those so :D )

Unfortunately, it only works on PC’s (sorry Mac users). You have to be running Windows 98 SE, ME, 2000 or XP and Windows Media Player 7 or higher. I have provided a link to the WMP download area if you need to download the latest version of this player (it’s free :party )

To download the skin, simply click HERE. (Please note that this is like the world's simplest webpage, but I just wanted to get it up - I'll make it pretty later. The pic below the link is a screen grab of the skin). Then click on the link that says Amber Benson Windows Media Skin – it will ask you if you want to download it. Click Yes. When it is done downloading, click on View Now and it will automatically load the new skin (you can always change it back to your default).

It will play any media file WMP can normally play i.e. mp3, mpeg, wmv, etc. It does not have the ability to display visualizations. Since I don’t really like them, I didn’t bother coding that into my skin. I think Amber visualizations would be cool, but they have to be coded in Visual C++ which A) I don’t have access to and B) I have never used. I have coded using regular C++ and I doubt they are that different but see excuse A ;)

Oh and duh, before I forget if you need some W/T stuff to watch on your new skin, you can get some cool stuff in the Willow/Tara Multimedia Thread.

-shuyaku

ps: If you have any technical difficulties, just let me know. And if you can’t get to the link for some reason, let me know that, too. I’m not sure how much traffic I’m allocated so will test it out together :D

Oh God, Willow—you’re giving me the gift of Karen Carpenter. Just when I think I grasp the full extent of your love." - Tara

"Why do birds suddenly appear? It’s because, you are queer…" - Willow (Gods Served and Abandoned by AntigoneUnbound)

Post subject: Re: Windows Media Skins
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:52 am 
:bigwave Hi

Cool! Although I Tried To Get The WMP Skin And It's Not Working Ive Tried Three Times And All Three Times It Hasnt Worked It's Probably My Stupidity But I Was Hoping U Could Help Me I Have All The Required Stuff But Still... I Need Help!! Please:pray

D2D

Dreams To Dream In The Dark Of The Night, When The World Goes Wrong, I Can Still Make It Right...- Dreams To Dream, Feivel Goes West

Poppycock!-Stewie Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:13 am 
Hey D2D,

I downloaded it on 3 different systems - one using Win 98, one using Win 2000 and one using Win XP. It seems to be working okay. What Windows version are you running? And do you have WMP already installed?

We'll get it working! :)

-shuyaku

PS: - if anybody else has downloaded it and it is working, can you let me know? THANKS!

Oh God, Willow—you’re giving me the gift of Karen Carpenter. Just when I think I grasp the full extent of your love." - Tara

"Why do birds suddenly appear? It’s because, you are queer…" - Willow (Gods Served and Abandoned by AntigoneUnbound)

Edited by: shuyaku at: 6/25/04 9:14 am

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:48 pm 

Downloaded it, first installation attempt (Windows XP SP1, WMP 9.00.00.3128, Windows updates installed) produced an error ("Windows Media Player was not closed properly. A damaged or incompatible plug-in may have caused the problem to occur. As a precaution, all third-party plugins have been disabled.")

Second installation attempt worked fine, so the first problem was probably a plug-in issue then. Tested a bit, otherwise OK, but I was unable to change playlist window size.

Droidy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:15 pm 
Hey Droidy,

Glad to hear it is at least working. The playlist window is not adjustable (is that a big deal? A lot of skins I've seen don't have adjustable playlist windows, so I didn't think it was...) But this is my first skin, so I'm definitely looking for ways to improve future ones. Adjustable playlist window - check :D

Thanks for leaving feedback!

-shuyaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:37 pm 
I Am Running Windows 98 And I Have The Upgraded Version Of WMP

D2D

Dreams To Dream In The Dark Of The Night, When The World Goes Wrong, I Can Still Make It Right...- Dreams To Dream, Feivel Goes West

Poppycock!-Stewie Griffin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:20 pm 
I click the link and get a page of what most people would call computer gobbeldygook. Maybe I'll try in IE when I can get it working. Right now I'm running on Netscape.

EDIT: It worked for me in IE when I tried about 40 seconds after posting.

Edited by: ichi chan at: 6/25/04 8:21 pm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:46 am 
Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox users probably need to right-click and select Save link target as to get the file correctly.

Post subject: WMS
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:39 am 
that is the coolest thing ever in the whole world.....!!!

:eatme

----------------

"I'll hold you up and drive you all night. I'll hold you up and drive you baby, til you feel the daylight, that's right."

Drive by Melissa Ferrick

Post subject: Re: WMS
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:06 pm 
Hi shuyaku

The playlist is not that big an issue - just a personal preference. I like making the window bigger so I can see more without scrolling all the time. With the fixed-size window, I end up scrolling a lot (for example www.helsinki.fi/~romppain...aylist.gif ).

I use mostly Winamp for listening to music (quite a few others also installed, but use them very rarely), so I'm used to WinAmp's policy of allowing window size adjustments everywhere (playlist, for example www.helsinki.fi/~romppain...aylist.gif )

-Droidy

Post subject: Re: Replys
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:10 pm 
ichi chan - I'm glad you got it working. droidy suggested that users of Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox might have to right click and Save Target As... so if anyone else is having problems you may want to try that route.

LizPuRR - aw, thanks :blush

droidy - thanks for your suggestions - suggestions make better future endeavors afterall. I actually designed it thinking about playing some of the great W/T videos I've seen, so the fact that you thought more about music is a good thing. I sometimes go into things a little too narrow. Also, thanks for the technical help, as well :D

If anyone else liked/disliked/or otherwise this skin - I'd love to hear from you as it is the only way I'll get better at these things...

-shuyaku