The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Songfic Two-shot
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:22 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Topics: 3
I sat down to write a songfic from Willow's point of view set post brain-suckage. A friend of mine challenged me to write something from Tara's point of view. So here it is. It's a two part one shot...or a two-shot, I guess. I'm not very fond of the first part, but I'm not one to turn down a challenge.

Obviously I don't own Willow or Tara. I don't own the song either, it's called "Anabel" and it's by an unbelievable woman named Dessa who does a lot of hip hop and spoken word out of Minneapolis, she also has a pretty singing voice. It's a really poignant and unbelievably haunting song, there's a video on youtube if you're interested.

This is rated PG. Nothing naughty, nasty, or fun. A tiny cuss word that really isn't a cuss word.

I also just realized it doesn't have a title. Oh well, here it is:

Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Adams, Jackson, Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, Buchanan, Lincoln, Johnson, Grant, Hayes, Garfield, Aruthur, Cleveland, Harrison, Cleveland, McKinley, Roosevelt, Taft, Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, JFK, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagen, Bush, Clinton.

I think I’m in the grocery store. Am I? Am I? Up above are the stars, the moon. Don’t scream. Don’t scream.

“Do you want to pick out a candy?”

Don’t scream.

“Baby?”

Gypsies and thieves. Everything is in Chinese! Everything is in Chinese today and I don’t know why.

“Your total is seven twenty-seven.”

Spinning.

“Twelve seventy-three is your change. Have a nice day.”

“Thanks, you too.”

Hand hand hand. So warm, so beautiful. Red. Strong. Strong.

Smiling? She’s smiling. I’m smiling too. I can feel it on my teeth. Butterflies are flapping around in my stomach. Kind of tickles. Wow, so warm and soft.

We’re outside now.

The sun is shining. Wasn’t it just night? What is wrong with me? Willow is here, she’s holding my hand. I’m safe. But my brain is so fuzzy...where are we?

“Willow?”

She stops suddenly and looks at me. She’s smiling so wide, she’s so happy. Her eyes are catching the sunlight.

“Where are we?”

She tucks my hair behind my ear.

“We’re at the store, Baby. I just had to get a few things. D-did you want candy?” She frowns for a split-second before her smile returns. It’s bigger than before. “We can go back and you can pick one!”

“N-no, that’s okay. Let’s go home.”

She squeezes my hand tighter.

Moving. Fast. Sunshine. Everything is so bright. Bright, bright, black and white, up and down and all around. So much sound.

The park! The Park! THE PARK! Don’t scream! Don’t!

THE PARK!

Trees and grass and Willow-ass, and dogs and frogs and--

“Did I feed the cat this morning?”

“Yes, Baby.”

Frozen in the snow. She’s frozen too, she looks so lost, so alone.

Willow the Lion-hearted.

I’m trying to get her on a schedule, the doctors say it will help. Though honestly I’m believing less and less of what they say these days. They don’t seem to understand Tara any more than I do.

I’m just so glad to be on solid ground. She screamed when we were driving past the park. I almost crashed Xander’s car. So now we’re at the park. I wish I could get used to the screaming. I expect the biting and kicking, but the screaming...it’s just horrifying.

Anabel pick up the phone, I’m calling from the kitchen
We just never seem to listen when we’re sharing the same room.
I’m not sure anymore what might get your attention
Every day you see me less than you did just the day before.
Out there in the garden, motionless for hours
It’s just like there’s a statue dressed in Anabel’s old clothes.
And part of me is afraid to wake you from the dreams you’re having
Scared the scattered pieces won’t come back together whole.

I guess I should be happy all she did was scream. Yesterday she unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the door while we were driving to the doctor. I’ve never been so scared in my life. Monsters and demons are nothing compared to this.

“Did I feed the cat this morning?”??

No. I did.

“Yes, Baby.”

She’s staring into my eyes and she’s just...not there. She was lucid in the parking lot of the grocery store I think. Almost lucid. Sometimes I can see glimpses of my Tara. I’ll find a way to fix this. I walk up to her and touch her arm. It’s time to go home. It’s almost time for dinner...the schedule...

Her eyes lock on mine.

“A mane, in the breeze.” She touches my shoulder. “So solid.”

I let out the breath I’m holding. For a moment I thought she was lucid again. Twice in one day? We haven’t been that lucky yet.

Anabel come back to me, I’m calling you from home
Anabel come back to me, I’m living here alone.

It’s like she’s living in this twilight. I look over at her. She’s sitting on the bed touching her thumb to the tips of her fingers. It calms her down. She starts with her pinky and when she gets to her index finger she goes back- tapping her middle, then ring, then pinky before starting again.

I look back down at my homework. I have to hurry, this quiet won’t last long.

She’s scratching at her cast now, I can hear it. She’s more important than homework. She’s the most important thing in my life.

Another quiet evening and that book that you’ve been reading is open,
But I don’t believe I’ve seen you turn a single page.
Even here right beside you, I barely recognize you
You’re like a photograph I’m watching fade away.
I wanna shake you, I’d prefer that you were angry with me.
You’re like a bird now looking lost without a cage.
I’m not sure what to call it,
I’m not sure who could solve this problem of a disappearing girl,
Oh Ana stay.

I’m wiping the mirror clean, she spat on it. I’ve been trying to brush her hair for twenty minutes. It’ll be dry before I’m done. Usually she calms down after a shower. She smiles when I wash her hair and she’s happy, playful even while I clean her body. Not tonight.

Tonight has been full of these painful, agonizing moans. I’d rather them than the screaming, I guess. I kiss her shoulder and recognition flickers in her eyes but it’s gone as quickly as it came.

I’m just so exhausted.

Anabel come back to me, I’m calling you from home
Anabel come back to me, I’m living here alone.

I shut our door behind us and walk t the closet to pick out tonight’s sleepwear.

“Puppies or ponies, Tare?” I ask from the closet.

There’s no response. I pick ponies for her. It feels like a ponies kind of night.

She’s already taken off her robe when I turn around. It’s pooled at her feet. She’s standing in the middle of our room, naked, biting the side of her finger and looking over her shoulder with worry.

“Tare?” I coo, taking a slow step toward her with a hand in front of me. I'm trying to steady her with my mind.

Her eyes dart to me, she’s flighty, like a doe in the woods. She just seems so fragile.

You’re in the bathroom with the flashlight
You’re trying to weigh your shadow
You say it’s gotten heavy, hard to drag across the floor.
Same scene we had last night?And I still don’t know what happens to you
I just stand here useless, sometimes listen through the door.
The ringing in your ears has gotten worse, it’s hard to take you say
It sounds like heavy traffic as we’re climbing into bed,
And I believe I almost hear it.
I know better than to touch you lately.?Praying I don’t wake up to the car crash in your head.

Sometimes she’s so sweet. So gentle. She’s pulled me to her in the dark, drawing the covers up over our heads. It’s pitch black. I can feel her chest rising and falling. She’s twirling my hair around her finger and tasting my ear with her lips. I wonder if she’s lucid. I don’t want to look. I don’t want to know. This is so nice, I don’t want it to end. It’s getting warm under the blankets and harder to breathe. I hope she doesn’t get upset if I pull them off of our heads.

She doesn’t. Things feel almost perfect. I can almost pretend nothing ever changed. I rest my head against her breast and listen to her heartbeat.

“I love you, Tara”

She lets out a puff of air against my hair. I think it means ‘I love you too’.

Anabel come back to me, I’m trying to get through
Anabel come back to me, or take me there with you.

-Saint

Post subject: Re: Songfic Two-shot
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:37 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Saint,

Very intriguing fic and you're right that song is amazing!

I liked phrases like, "It feels like a ponies kind of night." But the most touching moment was them in bed, Willow believing/hoping Tara was there but afraid to look too closely.

Bold concept and I love that you can't turn down a challenge!

Ariel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:56 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Congrats on submitting your first story!! Speaking personally I've always wondered what was going on in Tara's mind during the whole 'brain suck' incident. I mean, could she think clearly, but not express herself or was everything in her head jumbled and whatever she thought, she said. There are so many possiblities that could have been the case. Thank you for providing one example.

I guess, I was always so focused on Tara's experience I never thought about how Willow was dealing with the day to day. I mean they hit the road pretty quick after Tara was released from the hospital. I appreciate that fact that you took the time to present Willow's perspective. It definitely enhances my view of the whole experience.

Now that you've submitted one piece of work, perhaps you'll try your hand at the monthly challenge. You said you liked challenges. C'mon it'll be fun.

Tru'

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:05 pm 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

You've pulled me out of lurker-dom to comment. I really, really enjoyed this...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:56 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Wow, that was really powerful and even made me a little teary eyed. Poor Tara, so lost in her own mind, but for Willow it must have been incredible hard too. I think the way she cared for Tara really shows the depth of her love. Very well done, does the "two-shot" mean we'll get another update or are the two shots the two parts from Willow's and Tara's perspective? I'm really hoping the first, I want more - Pretty please?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:04 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Thanks to all who read, and double thanks to all those who left comments- they are very much appreciated.

Ariel Thanks for the kind words. I'm really glad you like the song, I'm trying to spread the word about Dessa. If you like her work, tell your friends! There's also a video on youtube of her explaining the inspiration for the song that is really interesting.

True_Love This actually isn't my first story on Pens. I was a regular around here between 2004-2008, but I was a huge embarrassing spaz. I decided my return to the Kitten would have to be under a different name, looking back on my old work was just too...horrifying. :laugh I definitely based Tara's mental state on Glory's, I thought it seemed kind of fitting. As for the monthly challenges...are you challenging me? :eyebrow

Candleshoe Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. Stay out of lurkerdom, you do more good here. I'm sure everyone likes having you around.

Wills redemption I'm happy that you were touched by my little story. It is kind of an emotional little snippet of their lives. Unfortunately, the story is complete, the two parts were Tara and Willow's respective POVs. It's not the same, but I did write something the other day, and I hope to write another little one-shot tonight. Maybe I'll post up one of those.

Thanks again for reading, everyone!

-Saint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:56 pm 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

More please...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:13 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 9
Okay, normally I am not a songfic person. You totally just changed my mind. This definitely pulls at the heart-strings and makes it iheavy with ache. Not the best thing to read at 2 in the morning when I am trying to sleep in my bed alone as my girlfriend is out of town. Good job on your reinvention. I left behind wiccanbotanist and came out anew but I have hopes to finish my left behind fics. But certainly there are some that I wonder what in the heck was I thinking. Keep up the good work and keep posting.

Delayne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:42 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Yes, i always felt that what was implied by the costumes -Glory found them the next day- didn't mesh with Willow's "sometimes she's fine."

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.