The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fic [AU, oneshot]: Taking the cake
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:36 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Topics: 2
Title: Taking the cake

Author name: JustAKitty

Rating: PG-13

Spoilers: None - this is very much a non-hellmouth setting.

Summary: Oneshot. A brief snapshot into the lives of a slightly older Willow and Tara couple. No monsters or Hellmouth, just W&T goodness….

Disclaimer: Willow and Tara belong to Mutant Enemy (sadly). The alarm clock is real (and commercially available), but everything else is a product of my imagination. Any resemblances to things alive, dead, owned by your aunty, etc. is purely coincidental.

Notes: Many thanks to wayland for the invaluable help and advice, to BeMyDeputy for the encouragement, and to the rest of the kittens for making this board feel like my second home.

The sunlight streaming through the window settled on the lone occupant of the double bed, causing her eyelids to flutter in protest.

Still, Tara - even in her only-just-waking state of low awareness - quickly realised something was missing this morning. The very comfortable pillow was still there, as was the kitten-covered duvet (her purchase) and the old rainbow blanket with iron-on patches from states visited, but something was definitely missing…

“…..Willow….no comfortable, warm and oh-so-delightfully-soft Willowy wife….”

Tara sat bolt upright, quickly rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Weekend snuggling was very important to both of them, and it normally took something important to divert her beloved from their traditional arrangement - waking up closely intertwined and enjoying the process of discovering which leg belonged to whom.

Tara snatched the glasses on the nightstand, narrowly missing the R2D2 Projection Alarm Clock (Willow’s acquisition) whose whistles and beeps normally woke them each morning. Then, the duvet and blanket were pushed back and her feet slipped under the bed to find her fleece-lined slippers (these were green and stowed neatly under the bed each night so she could easily locate them, whereas Willow’s were blue and usually ended up kicked off somewhere that necessitated a hurried search each morning).

Familiar padding footsteps in the corridor outside interrupted her quest, and Tara listened with increasing confusion until the slightly ajar door was pushed inwards by a rather pert backside, followed by the rest of the redhead-in-question. The figure turned around bearing a heavily laden tray of fruit, tea, muffins and….is that a cupcake with a candle in it?

“Morning,” chattered Willow, “I made you breakfast in bed. Well breakfast half-in-half-outta-bed I guess since you aren’t fully in bed, and, and, why are you getting out of bed, I thought you were asleep? Did I wake you, I didn’t wake you did I, I did didn’t I, I’m sooo sorry I didn’t mean to make any noise but you know me - all large with the clumsiness and…. ”

Tara gently interrupted the verbal torrent and, with an ease born of long practice, addressed the important points:

“You didn’t wake me baby; I just woke up missing you. Breakfast in bed is very thoughtful, but - not sound all miss unappreciative here – why?”

“Birthday.” Willow said succinctly, quickly clearing the nightstand and setting down the tray.

“Sweetie, my birthday was two months ago.”

“I know, but…gah,” flopping onto the comfortable contours of their bed, Willow buried her face in a pillow, “it’s dumb. Really dumb, now I actually think about it.”

“You’re never dumb. Quirky and loveable, yes. Dumb, never. Now come here,” Tara patted the spot immediately next to her, “and talk to me.”

"No response…hmm, how to bring back Willow-smile? Ahh, got it..."

“These strawberries look delicious,” murmured Tara huskily, selecting a juicy target, “mmm, tastes better than they look. But, oh dear,” she paused theatrically, “now I’ve got juice all over my fingers.”

"Uh huh, that made her twitch, now to reel in the big guns…"

“If only I had some nice, hot, lesbian lover to lick them clean. Oh well, guess I’ll just have to sit here and - mmmph….”

Her half-joking, half-earnest seductive spiel was abruptly broken off when two lips pressed themselves firmly against hers. A few moments later, foreheads resting against each other:

“So, now I’ve got your attention again,”

“Har, har,” interjected Willow, sardonically,

“perhaps I can get your not-dumb-and-probably-adorably-sweet explanation, hmmm?”

“It’s just, I was watching you put up those new twinkly lights I got you.” *pause* “And I..got to thinking…we’ve only celebrated your birthdays since we met, not all of the ones you had without me.”

“I didn't have that many before I met you.”

A red eyebrow quirked, and Tara mimed locking her lips and throwing away the key.

“As I was saying, so I thought maybe I could start at the beginning with you, and work our way through the ones I missed. Hence the one-candle cupcake…..dumb, huh?”

“No,” replied Tara, lips quirking up, “that’s very thoughtful, and a very, very Willowy thing to do.” She kissed her wife gently on the cheek.

“How come you always know how to make me feel better?” asked Willow softly.

“The same reason you know how to make me feel loved.”

“’Cos we’re in love?”

“’Cos we’re in love,” agreed Tara, leaning back.

Green eyes met blue, and sparkled with mischief.

“Soooo, about those sticky fingers of yours….”

Soft, gentle kisses rapidly turned passionate.

“Mmmmmm.”

“Mmm…baby…..”

And Tara’s last coherent thought of the morning, flashed through her mind.

Happy birthday, to me…..

Post subject: Re: Fic [AU, oneshot]: Taking the cake
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:17 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

DIBS!!! :whip

Hey, JustAKitty!

Thanks for the great story! :eatme :applause :bounce

And more thanks to Clare and Kate for their encouragement so that I got to enjoy this! :grin

Marvelous opening with the bit of Tara’s thoughts that are influenced by Willow-speak. That bit, combined with Tara reaching for glasses and the “old rainbow blanket with iron-on patches of states visited” tells me that there is some history here, which I love.

Quote:
“…..Willow….no comfortable, warm and oh-so-delightfully-soft Willowy wife….”

Tara sat bolt upright, quickly rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Weekend snuggling was very important to both of them, and it normally took something important to divert her beloved from their traditional arrangement - waking up closely intertwined and enjoying the process of discovering which leg belonged to whom.
Enjoyed this; the touch of humor, the clear tenderness – lovely!

Quote:
“Morning,” chattered Willow, “I made you breakfast in bed. Well breakfast half-in-half-outta-bed I guess since you aren’t fully in bed, and, and, why are you getting out of bed, I thought you were asleep? Did I wake you, I didn’t wake you did I, I did didn’t I, I’m sooo sorry I didn’t mean to make any noise but you know me - all large with the clumsiness and…. ”

Tara gently interrupted the verbal torrent and, with an ease born of long practice, addressed the important points:

“You didn’t wake me baby; I just woke up missing you. Breakfast in bed is very thoughtful, but - not sound all miss unappreciative here – why?”

“Birthday.” Willow said succinctly, quickly clearing the nightstand and setting down the tray.
Then comes her explanation into the non-birthday birthday celebrations – very Willow-y with its own special logic.

And finally their interaction, banter, and way with each other; loved all that – they are so believably close, so knowledgeable and delighted with each other. Again, you give us a rich sense of shared history. :flower

It’s been more than half a year since you joined the ranks of us Kittens! And you make a wonderful addition, so PLEASE don’t make us wait another half-year for more of your writing! :pray :pray :pray

Thanks and keep writing! :kgeek :kgeek :kgeek

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:45 am 
2. Floating Rose

Hi Ariel,

Great to hear from you and many thanks for the kind comments :blush !

Although everyone has been very welcoming, Clare and Kate went above and beyond to help out a (relatively) new kitten – they are really wonderful!
I really enjoyed writing this, and am very glad you liked it - I'm looking forward to knocking out some more :kgeek as soon as I get the chance (I have a few ideas bouncing 'round the old noggin at the moment, and am currently just waiting for something to crystallise).

Anyway, many thanks again for the feedback. When I first saw someone had posted, I may have actually punched the air (though there were fortunately no witnesses), and I really appreciate you taking the time to drop by!

All the best,

JAK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
A happy birthday indeed and very nicely done! I look forward to seeing more W/T goodness from you in the future:)

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:15 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hi JAK,

Congratulations on posting your first story here. I remember feeling very daunted the first time I hit the submit button.

I'm looking forward to reading more from you. I think you have a delicate touch and an excellent grasp of Willow and Tara's characters. Like Ariel, I noticed the rainbow blanket. It might seem like a small thing, but it gives us a whole backstory - how long they have been together, how comfortable they are as a couple and the memories they share. Similarly, the detail of their respective slippers is a snapshot of their differing but complementary personalities. These are the kinds of touches that make the characters come alive. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:08 pm 
5. Willowhand

Very cute one-shot. The details in the beginning were very well written. Everything from the bed covers to the slippers grabbed right at my attention and put me into the story. And making up for lost birthdays is a very Willow-y thing to do. Utterly adorable. Great job!

An Everyday Life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:19 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 10
JAK,
First, I'm happy to hear that I managed to be so welcoming and encouraging and the like. Being called wonderful always gives me warm fuzzies.

This is a sweet little moment. It rings really true: there are things in your life that are important, and you want to share them with someone you love. I know that when I think about my trip to Spain, I'll think "man, I wonder what Adam [my fiance] would have thought of that," or whatever. And sometimes, you can go again, taking your person with you, and sometimes you can't. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's neat that Willow's trying to go back and honor these things that came before her, even though she can't go back and be with Tara for them.

I think your writing has a lot of promise. I liked this phrase: "with an ease born of long practice."

Quote:
Then, the duvet and blanket were pushed back and her feet slipped under the bed to find her fleece-lined slippers (these were green and stowed neatly under the bed each night so she could easily locate them, whereas Willow’s were blue and usually ended up kicked off somewhere that necessitated a hurried search each morning).

Do you see how you slip into passive voice at the beginning of this? I think active voice would serve you better. There are times when passive voice makes sense, but I don't think that here it does any particular job. By making Tara the subject of the sentence, you would also avoid the problem of Tara's feet being detached. It's a little thing, but my beta got on me for making body parts the subject of sentences, and now I can't read it elsewhere without thinking of them as severed limbs. So blame dlline.

The detail, though, about the different attitudes towards slippers, made me smile. Have you read Sass's "Hybrid"?

Anyway, I hope that, now that you've started, you keep writing.
Kate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:23 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 3
JAK,

Very cute one-shot. Anytime someone writes something that reminds me of my very Willow-y wife, it bring a big bright smile to my face. She once did something similar and held a graduation party for me with all my friends, three years after I graduated. Even made a giant copy of my degree and hung it up for a decoration. To say that I was surprised and awed by her quirkly mind is an understatement. Thanks for reminding me of that memory.

Now that you've gotten over the tough part of hitting submit for the first time, do it again and again. Looking forward to more.

Remodeling: The Reconstruction of Tara Maclay / W/T Potpourri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:10 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Hi Everyone, :bigwave thank you all so much for the comments - they've really made my week!

Wayland: Thank you for your kind words :blush . Your beta-ing really, really helped - after reading your suggestions it became much easier to make characters who were distinct and individual, yet also recognisably Willow and Tara. It has been a great pleasure to read your works, and even more so to have had the privilege of corresponding with you.

BeMyDeputy: I’m glad you came and read this – your encouragement helped me overcome the ol’ nerves, and I’m pleased that the end result didn’t disappoint :grin . I'd also like to thank you for the complements on my prose, I'm gratified that I seem to have touched a chord. Thank you also for pointing out the problem with the passive voice - I hadn't noticed it, but now I see what you mean about being "footloose", as it were. I'm not sure I'll change this fic (I'm sort-of keeping it for posterity), but it'll be something to be aware of for future ramblings. I've not actually had the pleasure of reading "Hybrid" - but if you'd recommend it I definitely will (I think from your recommendations you have excellent taste for suggested works).

Many thanks to Finey_McFine, beautiful_love and True_Love for taking the time to post here - I appreciate it very much, and you all rock!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:17 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 9
Welcome to the fold.

What a way to bring out the debut postage. Seriously, you plan to keep writing, yes? You have some seriously long and fantastic story that needs to come out and this was just a practice 'get your sea legs' type of deal, right?

I like the comparisons you've done (her purchase)/(Willow’s acquisition). Neatly organized slippers versus haphazardly tossed. You are very descriptive and fun. Please keep writing.

Delayne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Hi Delayne,

Thank you for the feedback, you are too kind, and I'm glad you liked it!

I am currently working on another, slightly longer fic at the moment - though I probably won't be advertising for a kindly Beta until I've got it finished/almost finished, as I shall probably be gearing up for a fairly hectic schedule soon and don't want to leave something midway for too long.

Anyway, thanks again,

JAK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:27 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Quote:
Tara snatched the glasses on the nightstand, narrowly missing the R2D2 Projection Alarm Clock (Willow’s acquisition) whose whistles and beeps normally woke them each morning. Then, the duvet and blanket were pushed back and her feet slipped under the bed to find her fleece-lined slippers (these were green and stowed neatly under the bed each night so she could easily locate them, whereas Willow’s were blue and usually ended up kicked off somewhere that necessitated a hurried search each morning).

I love indepth you got about describing things. You added things, like the color of the slippers, which aren't necessarily important yet are important for a reader to know to get the whole image... Sorry if that didn't make sense :p

Quote:
“that’s very thoughtful, and a very, very Willowy thing to do.”

That does sound like a very Willowy thing to do and a very cute thing.

This was a very adorable one-shot. So much silliness, cuteness, and sweetness, rolled into such a short little story. You did very well and wait to read anything else you might decide to post :)