The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sentinels (UPDATE: 1/29/2012)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Hey, Starr!

This is for you; it’s me bowing done before this amazing update! :bow :bow :bow

Quote:
Willow pulled the bomber jacket out from her closet, fingers trailing over the material. The dark brown leather was worn and soft, and she brought it to her face to inhale. There was the unmistakable scent of leather, a hint of warming fur, and the metallic tang that came from the zippers.

But that wasn’t the scent she was savoring.

Beneath the scent of the jacket itself was heaven: juniper, eucalyptus, the ozone scent of magic, and the musk of healthy sweat.

‘Tara…’
I love the detail here: so rich and precise. I see that jacket and I can almost touch it. And the smells . . . so been there, taking my crush’s old “dirty” t-shirt and hugging it to my face and . . . *sighs*

Quote:
She hissed softly as she pulled it on, cold-stiffened nipples straining further as the jacket’s fur lining tickled them. ‘Geez Rosen-perve! What would Tara think if she knew what you were doing with her jacket?’ she scolded her teenaged hormones. And paused.
Great mental monologue!

Quote:
“Thinking of me, were you?” Still paralyzed by the hotness before her (where’d that white Stetson come from?), Willow could only nod. “Yep,” Willow didn’t know why, she just looked like the type of girl who ‘yep-ed’. “Definitely not what I had in mind when I loaned it to you.”

Spazzy, babbling Willow who was not so spazzy and babbling in her fantasies quipped back, “Mrn, are you gonna punish me?” Her sultry façade was ruined when Tara grabbed her by the hips and she let out a squeak.

“Lucky for you,” Tara whispered. “I like girls who can think out of the box.”

And then she lowered her mouth and showed her exactly how much she liked them.
Sexy Tara fantasy that is both hot and laced with humor. Having the witty riposte properly delivered is a fantasy that most of us share. Also loved the whole business about being a ‘Yep’ kind of person AND the white Stetson. Fresh fantasy, totally pulled me in and yes, my patented Hot-O-Meter is in danger of breaking! :bow :applause :bow

Quote:
“Am I doing this right? I mean I must be, since you’re so wet, but lemme know if I do mess up. Oh no, that didn’t sound too smug, did it? I just meant th-ooohhkay, that’s nice…”

Perfection.

Fantasizing about a more realistic Willow was much more fun than fantasizing about the leather-and-lace version she had running around in her head earlier.
Hoh-kay! The old Hot-o-Meter went and SHATTERED on me! That’ll be $39.95 in replacement costs, thank you very much!

Quote:
Downstairs (and not the sexy ‘downstairs’. Geographical, a floor below type downstairs)
:lol :lmao :laugh :rofl – thank you for that!!!

Quote:
It was then that Artie ducked her head sheepishly. “No, ah. See, then I said that bathroom mirrors were for brushing teeth, not for practicing lines to use on Willow.”

The older Slayer snorted. “You deserve that, then. You don’t make fun of a girl trying to get her game on. Unless it’s B’. Then you bully the shit outta her.”

“But she was doing karate chops and talking to herself!”

Faith laughed. An actual laugh. Not the throaty kind that she was almost famous for, not the fake one she did with guys at the Bronze, and legit belly laugh that had her shoulders shaking. “That’s part of psyching yourself up. You’ll be doing that lots, I bet. Before a date, before a fight. Like I said, don’t mess with a girl ready to get her mac on. You deserve bigger punishment than that,” she teased.
This is GREAT writing. It’s packed with goodies! You learn about Artie’s smart mouth, Faith’s teasing of Buffy, more of Tara’s silly flirt-work AND that Artie is repeating it. Then you get Faith’s different laughs – and a real sense of characters.

This was an AMAZING update! :applause :applause :applause Even sharper than the last one!!! I bow before you oh Queen of Fresh!

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:44 pm 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 3
This story is freaking hilarious, I love the banter and the teasing and bickering and smartassness and I love laughing, which I did throughout this whole story. Willow and Tara are so adorable, and I don't think Tara will mind how Willow used her jacket at all. In fact I'm sure she'd love to hear about it :p Artie reminds me of myself at a young age. She is funny and adorable, probably one of my most favorite non-Buffy characters in any story on this board. I love the randomness of Faith moving in, interesting. I can't wait for more :)

Ash :peace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:46 am 
8. Vixen

Ok, Halfek's demise? Ewwww, ouch and more eewwww.

Willow and Tara's coat? *cough* my,my,my.

Tara having Artie cut basil? A riot and quite ingenious.

On with it already! Do I have to start chanting or something?! Lol.

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

Post subject: Re: Sentinels (UPDATE: 3/10/2012)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:02 am 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
True_Love
Haha, basil is actually one of my favorites! I just love the smell of it, but my nose gets hypersensitive sometimes, and then it's just overpowering, which served as the inspiration for that little scene.
And thanks for the comment on the sexy-times. Don't worry. As the writer of this little adventure, I have to keep my readers in mind, and out of consideration to you and maybe some others with similar reading habits, I'll try to put an 'NC-17' rating up top on any chapter with explicit smuttage.

Finey_McFine
I'll take that as a compliment! The canon series had some genuinely terrifying and oogy scenes, and while I'm not the biggest fan of a few *ahem* certain story decisions Whedon made, that is definitely something I wanna stay true to.

wildmind
Truthfully, I think Tara'd be pleased about anything involving Willowhand and anything of her's. Artie is amalgamation of various kids around the same age in my life, so having everyone acknowledging the smartass-ness of this character is great! It means I'm writing children right!

fhiwda
Wish granted! Thanks for the comments!

Ariel
Yeah, who knew writing passive-aggressive horny teenagers with magic powers could be so fun? Tara's jacket is mostly inspired by Leon's jacket from the game Resident Evil 4, something that I could see looking sexy on either Willow or Tara. My friend had a replica for cosplay purposes, and I kid you not, warmest jacket in the multi-verse.
And yes, we need to get you a new meter. Oh god...is that why we haven't had more HIMYM? D:

ashcrash71590
So glad to see a new reader willing to trudge though this mess, and so much more glad that I made you laugh! Thanks for the kind comments. I'm always so surprised whenever I see how well received Art is by you guys.

vampyregurl73
Haha, that's exactly the kind of reaction I'd been hoping for! No chanting necessary ma'am, though regular sacrifice of chickens may be required.

Title: Sentinels (Chapter 16)
Author: Starr, aka faolan228
Email: faolan228@yahoo.com
Rating: R
Disclaimer: Starr does not own BtVS or any related works. Except for Artie. Only because no one else wanted her.
Summary: Season 1 happened as it did on the show, but everything after has been molded and reshaped to my lunacy. Moral ambiguity abounds. Lying is sometimes okay for the right reasons, and genocidal rage a perfectly normal thing for people to feel. AU W/T that may or may not be a comedy.

Notes: Wow. Well, a lot has happened. Turned 18, have been at home a grand total of 4 days this month so far, had various files deleted from this computer, including this chapter. Recovered said files. Currently working on the rest of it, but here's the finished bit. Just something short and quick to tide ya'll over til I can actually sit down and write

Chapter 16 (The Strange Insightful-ness of Faith Lehane)

“Wow. Um, okay,” Tara stared blankly at the nicely chopped basil leaves piled neatly atop the cutting board beside the sink. ‘Piled’ being the pivotal word.

Was I in the bathroom that long?’

Artie looked rather proud of herself, and if she had a tail, it’d no doubt be wagging. Tara couldn’t help but laugh.

“I guess we’ll be having pesto for the next couple of days, huh?”

“Faith moved in.”

Wow. Okay, subtle topic shifts were not her Slayer’s strong point. “O-oh yeah. I asked her last week.”

“Last week?” Artie’s already squeaky little-girl voice cracked. “A whole week and you didn’t tell me?”

Tara’s eyebrows nearly disappeared into her hairline. “I…assumed you wouldn’t mind. We have lots of room here, and honestly? Giles’ couch is no place for a teenaged girl.” She gave her Slayer a pointed look.

“But, but,” Artie looked at her with large, dewy, brown eyes and curled her hands up to her own chest in a way that should have made Tara think of a squirrel but in reality reminded her of a baby T-Rex. “She’s a stranger.”

Goodness gracious, perhaps it was a good thing Xander had turned down the offer she extended both him and Faith after the Q’bon incident. He needed a way out of his current living situation as much as Faith did, if not more so. Still, if this was Art reacting to Faith moving in, Tara was little glad that Xander had politely declined.

“I don’t understand,” she furrowed her brow. “You’ve patrolled together before.”

“Yeah, like, twice! And you were there! She’s intimidating!”

“I’ve seen you joke around with her, Art.”

The little Slayer sputtered. “Yeah, because there were these…boundries!” She flailed her hands in an effort to make her words understood. Meanwhile, Tara’s eyebrows continued their rise, fall, twitch, furrow pattern.

Okay, so it seemed Artie-logic was not normal person logic. Tara sighed. “Just…give it a bit, alright? I’m sure you’ll get used to each other.”

Art watched her Watcher turn to go, and couldn’t help a little scowl.

She did not like being kept out of the loop.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

KNOCK-KNOCK!

Tara poked her head into the downstairs bedroom. “Hi! Just checking to see if you were all settled?”

Faith sat up in the bed. “Hells yeah! Gotta say T, sweet digs. Waaay better than G-man’s couch.”

Tara ducked her head, blushing a bit. “I-it was no big deal. You definitely needed more space, a-and it is a Watcher’s job to take care of Slayers, right?”

Faith rolled her eyes. “Sure, whatever you say, T,” she paused. “Really Tara. I can’t thank you enough.”

The Watcher tilted her head at the uncharacteristic sincerity in Faith’s voice. “Not a problem. Really.”

And then the moment was broken, Faith turning her attention back to the TV. “Shit, T. Didja see this yet?” It was a news report.

“….Australia’s rabbit population has hit an all-time low. Considered pests that have damaged the ecosystem since their introduction in the 19th century, all week it’s been observed that younger rabbits have been turning on the older ones and killing and eating them.”

“Strange times down under, eh, Frank?”

“Along with the rumored ‘bunyip’ sightings going on over there, I’d have to say you’re right Diane.”

“You don’t suppose that was Anyanka and our Q’bon, do you T?”

Tara could only nod dumbly. “That’s..that’s genious, when you think about it.”

Faith clicked the ‘mute’ button. “So..?”

“Huh?”

“T, as nice as you seem, you totally didn’t just come in here to check on me.” She took a moment to study the witch.
“Actually, you probably did. But really, what else is it?”

Tara blushed. Was she so easy to read? “It’s, um well, it’s Artie.”

“Baby Slayer? What up with her?”

“Just…maybe you could hang out with her a little? She’s a little-”

“Freaked right now?” At Tara’s wide eyed stare, Faith shrugged her shoulders. “You shoulda seen B’ when I first rolled into town. Ain’t meant to be more than one Slayer, it’s just unnatural. The way B’ says it, we’re predators, all territorial like. Took me and B’ a month or three before we figured out why she was so ‘grrr’ and I wasn’t.”

Tara nodded, cupping her own chin deep in thought. “You were the young, sleek thing coming into her town, doing her job.”

Faith grinned wickedly. “I’ll take that as a complement,” then her face turned contemplative. “Wonder what it’s like on baby Slayer’s end? All little and getting started, and then a bigger, more experienced hunter comes in your house?” She sat up, boots hitting the floor. Hands on her knees, she sighed. “I’ll be friendly.”

“I’m terrified to know your definition of friendly,” Tara deadpanned. “I want my Slayer to not be a territorial baby kitten, but I also don’t want her being some sort of truant.”

“Shouldn’t you be at a picnic sucking face with Red?” Faith huffed as she stuck her head out of the bedroom door. “HEY KIDDO! LET’S GO FOR A WALK!”

Tara cringed as she ducked out the front door in time to hear a crash and Artie’s terrified yelp. She glanced at her watch, tucking the picnic blanket safely under her arm.

11:30

She hoped she wasn’t late.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Back at the Rosenberg residence, Willow stared horrified at the various items spread on the kitchen island, then to the picnic basket.

“Oh god. White bread or whole wheat?”

A few of each should work, she decided, and reached for the bowl of chicken salad. Then stilled her hand. Maybe egg salad? What about tuna? She felt her stomach drop.

“Oh god. I never asked if she ate animal products!”

Panicked, she clamored for the jars of peanut butter and jelly. PB&J, the end all, be all of sandwiches. There was no possible way to fuck it up.

Unless….

Her hands flew to her hair. “Gotteniu! What if she’s allergic?!”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:50 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Dibs.

I like this. Tara has a good eye for the folks that need some taking care of and of the interactions between people too. I hope Faith doesn't terrify Art. The date should be nice. Hmmm... asking about what Tara eats would have been a good step or maybe just going to a restaurant so she can pick her own food.

Also...

Happy Birthday!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:15 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hey Starr,

I was just waiting for Faith to bring up the basil, but she surprised me and kept quiet about it and respected Tara's privacy. And from the sound of Tara and Artie's conversation there was a lot to 'respect'. Lol. Now off to the picnic. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Thanks for the update. Hopefully it won't be too long before we get another.

Oh, happy belated birthday!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:20 pm 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 15
Ok, so i just found this story, and it's awesome!

I laughed so hard i had to go and get new pants!

I learned a new thing, never read 'Sentinels' and drink tea at the same time.

I gotta say that i love LOVE that Tara skinned Saga Vasuki and made a magic sword out of her!
Take that dirty stupid canon!
I know that was ages ago, but i only found this story today, and time-travelling to post comments earlier on the Kitten-board is frowned upon.

I love the characterizations you have here, so real, and you do kids very well.

I imagine there will be a fair amount of embarrassment later when Artie asks what 'that' smell is.
you know, the one that Faith had issues with on the couch?

I am seriously looking forward to more! :bounce

Don't stop now! :flower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:40 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Hey, Starr!

Oh yeah, who could guess about the fun of writing these amazing characters? And that reminds me, I owe you some thanks for my last story, yes your comic voice in our RPG was a huge influence on what I wrote! Didn't steal your words, but your humor has permeated my consciousness and I honestly don't know whether to pay you or have you arrested! :wink

Okay, on to your hilarious update! (On a borrowed computer, first set of f/b was eaten - let's hope we get lucky on the second go around!)

Loved Tara's response to a newly insecure Artie, that Tara should have been reminded of a squirrell but was instead reminded of a baby T-Rex. Both funny and oddly poignant. Then her confusion expressed as her eyebrows doing a familiar pattern. Then love Artie's squeak-voiced dismay which Faith ends up explaining. And Faith's explanation is great! Like how you add a primal dimension of the Slayer as a predator; classic example of how stuff references canon but has your own fresh take as well.

Then Faith and Artie's outing, gonna YIM you and beg for the back-story on THAT little adventure!

Finally, Willow's pandwich attack (Get it? Combine panic and sandwich? :blush Okay, done with the jokes) Of course Deb is right, Willow could have ASKED Tara what she eats, but no, that is not the W/T way! Lovely job and just :lol :lmao :rofl

Once more with feeling: :bow :applause :bow

Ariel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:51 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

I can see where Artie is uncomfortable with Faith living with them, she's used to it being just she and Tara. Plus, Faith is a little rough around the edges and not very maternal...definitely intimidating, especially to a child. Slayer child or not. Hopefully Faith surprises us and becomes kind of a big sister to Artie. On to the Willow-panic...perfect and so Willow. Can't wait for the extra special picnic, which I suspect, Willow will bring everything but the kitchen sink.

Post subject: Re: Sentinels (updated 8/16/11)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:23 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 444
Quote:
Yup!” She lifted the blade, admiration for her Watcher evident on her face. “Saga Vasuki ain’t got shit on Tara.”

I love this reference :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:28 pm 
5. Willowhand

JustSkipIt Tara’s great like that. She’s one of the few, genuinely good BtVS characters, who’d help without asking ‘what’s in it for her’ and I think we all love her for it. And yeah, restaurant would’ve been smarter, wouldn’t it?

True_love Ah, don’t worry. Faith’s not about to suddenly start mocking someone who offered her a place, but there’ll definitely be all sorts of ground for mockery between the two eventually.

Azirahael Welcome, new reader! Making people laugh is a very important goal here (the other being horrifying people), so glad I could do that for you. The whole thing is about has quite a bit of poking some good natured fun at canon. And yeah, perhaps Artie’s reaction to dirty things will be addressed. I’ve got several seasons planned, so it might happen.

Ariel Your welcome! But don’t get me started on how much your participation has shaped how things have gone in my stories, because that’d take a whole page or two. Picking an actor to play Artie has totally made it easier to visualize her. And of course! What’s W/T without a heaping helping of miscommunication thrown in somewhere?

Finey_McFine You know those folks that you can totally get on well with, and are actually pretty cool, but make you balk at the idea of living with them? This is pretty much that situation. ‘Not-maternal and intimidating’ are quite possibly the best thing I’ve ever heard used to describe Faith XD

drlloyd11 Not many Kittens actually read the comics, I don’t think, so whenever someone gets that particular reference I kinda just chuckle and happily clap my hands like a circus seal. Thanks for the feedback!

Title: Sentinels (Chapter 17)
Disclaimer: Starr does not own BtVS or any related works. Except for Artie. Only because no one else wanted her.
Summary: Season 1 happened as it did on the show, but everything after has been molded and reshaped to my lunacy. Moral ambiguity abounds. Lying is sometimes okay for the right reasons, and genocidal rage a perfectly normal thing for people to feel. AU W/T that may or may not be a comedy.

Chapter 17: The Picnic (part 1)

Years of training honestly couldn’t have prepared her for this moment. Tara skidded to a halt halfway into the park and brought her hand up to smooth down her hair. She could have taken the bus, but what was the point in that? The park was only fifteen minutes away on foot(if she sprinted), and it was good to take a could look at Sunnydale during the daytime.

It was pretty. Deceptively so.

She observed groups of children run past happily, the young woman in her smiling fondly at their antics while the Watcher went ‘This half will live to see 25, this half will not.’, an annoying, cynical habit borne of years learning demon fatality statistics.

So it’s true then,’ she mused. ‘Watcher-dom really does turn you un-fun and over clinical. Ooh, lookit me! I’m Wesley!’

Willow popped out from behind the tree. “Hey! You’re here!”

Tara leapt back in surprise, though she did manage to keep her ‘Gah!’ internal and therefore dignified. “Willow! Hi!” She looked around. It seemed that, while in thought, she had cut though the playground, across a relatively large field of grass, and over a grassy ridge to where she and Willow had planned to meet.

The two stood awkwardly under the tree, not at all sure about what to do next. “Sooo…”

“O-oh! Right!” Tara spread the checkered blanket out, and motioned for Willow to sit by her. The redhead plopped down, and Tara scooted closer. “I figured we could eat, hang out, t-talk mag-mmmfp!” Her sentence was interrupted by the soft press of Willow-lips, and she sat there momentarily stunned before she got her lips moving, kissing back gently.

Willow pulled away, finger twirling in her own hair. “Sorry. I just wanted to do that again…”

“Don’t be sorry,” Tara breathed. “And please. You’re welcome to kiss anytime.”

“Anytime?”

“Well okay, not anytime. ‘Mouth full of food’ is to definitely be avoided.”

Willow perked. “Speaking of which,” she hefted the basket onto her lap. “Ta-da! You want tuna, chicken salad, egg salad, PB&J…”

“PB&J!” Tara blushed. “Ah, I- I mean, the peanut butter and jelly one sounds good.”

“Excited much?” The redhead joked, handing her the wrapped sandwich and letting her fingers linger when they touched Tara’s.

The blond witch smiled. “Haven’t had one since I was a kid.”

Willow choked, wide eyed. “You’re kidding!”

Tara shook her head with a smile. “Nope. I mean, don’t let what you see on TV fool you. We do have peanut butter in the UK but,” she smiled. “PB&J? That’s venturing into ‘oh god I grew up too fast, I missed you sandwich’ for me.”

The redhead shook her and smiled, unwrapping the chicken salad sandwich she had chosen. “Ah, yes. The peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the epitome of childhood,” she pursed her lips. “Sometimes I totally forget you grew up over there. I mean, you don’t have an accent or anything.”

“I guess you can take the girl out of Alabama, but you can never take the Alabama out of the girl.”

“Don’t tell me you’re gonna start drawling now, are you?”

“Aw, shucks lil lady!” She tried, really. But the giggles soon overcame her, and Willow snorted.

“Oh god that was awful! Normal Tara voice! Normal Tara voice, please!” she poked the other girl in the ribs. “Or some UK-speak.”

“'UK-speak'?" Tara snorted. "Afraid not. Don’t have the accent, and have always failed trying.”

“Wow, even after all these years?”

Tara nodded. “Yup! Though if you need someone to do a bit of Welsh, I’m your girl.” She bit into her sandwich and let out a moan.

A moan that made Willow wonder if pushing her up against the tree would be a proper way of making her repeat that sound.

“Oh god, it’s the crunchy peanut butter, too!”

“You like crunchy peanut butter?”

Tara swallowed again. “Love it.”

“Me too! All my friends hate it, and I’m all ‘Well if you weren’t too lazy to chew!’ and stuff.”

Tara paused mid-bite. “Too lazy to chew?”

“You wouldn’t believe the conversations I have with Xander or Buffy,” she deadpanned. “But me? A strong supporter of mouth exercise, thank you very much!”

Tara ducked her head shyly and scooted closer. “I-is that so?”

Willow opened and closed her mouth, a little unsure at what to say. The whole ‘mouth exercise’ bit had not been part of her mental script. “I, uh, guh.”

Tara smirked. “You did really well on that revealing spell earlier this week.” Willow blinked, the change in subject coming from out of nowhere.

“Thanks, I guess.”

“If you want,” she offered. “We could practice that a bit more if you want.”

“An invisibility spell?”

“Well, no.” Willow deflated. “Not yet a-anyway,” Tara tried to backtrack, noticing Willow’s disappointment. “Speaking from experience, it’s best to learn how to undo a spell before actually doing it, so if something goes wrong, you’ll know how to fix it.”

Willow chewed her lip. “That makes sense, I guess. So, what invisible thing are we gonna un-invisible-ize?”

A slow, steady smirk crossed Tara’s features. “Me.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It…it hadn’t turned out badly at all, actually. The older Slayer had shown her around the town, pointing out spots where demons liked to congregate, or places good for a quick snack while on patrol. Artie bounced behind Faith, one hand shoved in her jacket pocket, the other holding onto the cardboard-paper-cone thing that held her cotton candy.

The two Slayers had just walked around after Tara had left. Well, Faith walked. Artie continued to do an awkward little march, leg stiff and bouncing on the balls of her other foot before actually setting it down.

Step, bounce.

Step, bounce.

She hummed happily, taking another bite out of her cotton candy. It was green and watermelon flavored, which was kinda weird and strange because she had always thought the only two cotton candy flavors were ‘Blue’ and ‘Pink’, but it was also pretty awesome.

(Artie knew that ‘Blue’ and ‘Pink’ were not actual flavors so much as they were colors, but that’s what they tasted like. The blue one tasted, well…blue, and the pink tasted pink)

“So…” Faith tried to break the silence. “How many vamps have you dusted, kiddo?”

“Oh,” Artie lowered her cotton candy and pondered for a moment, eyes moving back and forth as she thought about it. “None.”

“…you’re shitting me, right?”

The way Art jumped at the loud crash and growl from a nearby alley answered the question for her.

Post subject: Re: Sentinels (UPDATE: 3/29/2012)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:10 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dibs :whip

Short, but sweet. I will always have special feelings for PB&J in the park. So glad you included it. I was as surprised as Faith to hear that Artie hadn't staked any vamps yet. From your ending it looks like she is about to have her first shot. Can't wait for more of the park date and more smoochies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:03 am 
9. Gay Now

Very nice, Thankyou.

It was a lovely scene of the girls (all of them) making a connection.
Nice to see.

I have to say, it kinda sucked last week, 'cos i tried to explain the Saga Vasuki thing (Hilarious!) to my flatmates.
they didn't get it, stupid non-kittens.
Grumble grumble.

Also: Weird how someone can grow up in the UK and not have an accent.
I would have thought it impossible, mind you i'm from Yorkshire, land of the Hellmouth and incomprehensible accents.
I'm not kidding about the Hellmouth.
Sometimes the ground would open up and huge flames would shoot out.
It was totally cool.
(Except... hot) :bounce

Not kidding about the accent either, Yorkshire accents are pretty rough.
Shame really. I was thinking that Tara sounding a bit Giles-y would be awesome.

And on an unrelated note, i find myself wondering what Tara is expecting to see in the mirror, and what the meds are about.

The smooching was neat! :bounce

Don't you dare stop!
Till next time! :kiss1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:33 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Starr,

Quote:
She observed groups of children run past happily, the young woman in her smiling fondly at their antics while the Watcher went ‘This half will live to see 25, this half will not.’, an annoying, cynical habit borne of years learning demon fatality statistics.

‘So it’s true then,’ she mused. ‘Watcher-dom really does turn you un-fun and over clinical. Ooh, lookit me! I’m Wesley!’

Willow popped out from behind the tree. “Hey! You’re here!”

Tara leapt back in surprise, though she did manage to keep her ‘Gah!’ internal and therefore dignified. “Willow! Hi!”
Love the humor and love Tara experimenting with Wesley-dom. :lmao

Then an insane amount of adorable cuteness:
Quote:
“O-oh! Right!” Tara spread the checkered blanket out, and motioned for Willow to sit by her. The redhead plopped down, and Tara scooted closer. “I figured we could eat, hang out, t-talk mag-mmmfp!” Her sentence was interrupted by the soft press of Willow-lips, and she sat there momentarily stunned before she got her lips moving, kissing back gently.

Willow pulled away, finger twirling in her own hair. “Sorry. I just wanted to do that again…”

“Don’t be sorry,” Tara breathed. “And please. You’re welcome to kiss anytime.”

“Anytime?”

“Well okay, not anytime. ‘Mouth full of food’ is to definitely be avoided.”
Love the PB&J moment, funny and real.

Then on to Artie and Faith's little interaction. First, GREAT description of the funny way some kids really move - nice eye for detail I could see Artie moving along and I totally agreed with her on the cotton candy, too!

Then that beautiful cliff-hanger . . . MORE!!!!!!!!! :kgeek :whip

Ariel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:48 am 
5. Willowhand

I love how you describe the awkwardness between Willow and Tara...and yet some moments aren't awkward at all.

I like where I see this fic going. Please continue soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:29 pm 
3. Flaming O

I just found this story. all I have to say is that I LOVE it! I always thought Tara would make a wonderful watcher. ;) I can hardly wait for more... :bounce More please? :banana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:02 am 

Just realized that I hadn't commented on this chapter yet. Anyway...LOVED the awkward first date! Super cute. Tara spazzing out over a PB&J, then trying to act cool and mature. Good times...hopefully the spell doesn't do all wonky and Tara is stuck invisible. Although, that could make for some funny times, lol.

Artie and Faith bonding is great, I think it's gonna do Artie a world of good. Buffy is too overprotective, but Faith will show her the ropes AND protect her as well.

Anxiously awaiting the next chapter!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:23 am 
5. Willowhand

I haven't read this chapter so thank you Finey_McFine for pointing it out :p
This was cute. Willow and her mouth exercises haha. There date was adorable and Tara's excitement over PB&J kind of reminded me of my girlfriend and how excited she got when I told her once I would make her one haha.
I love how Artie and Faith are trying to bound. And I love Artie's intense thoughts about cotton candy haha. But poor Artie and jumping at the vampire.
Can't wait for more :)

Ash

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:50 pm 
5. Willowhand

True_love PB&J holds, for quite a few of us I suppose, a good deal of significance. Whether from the memories attached to it, or for the delicious sandwiches themselves. Me? Friends and I named our band PB&J. I wanted our girls to have similar good memories associated with it, too. So I’m definitely glad you liked it!

Azirahael Aaaargh, yes. The plight of us Kittens when trying to explain things to non-kitten friends. All my friends know is that I cry a lot because of BtVS. The accent thing was an issue I’d debated for quite a while, before deciding to do without. I suppose, given the years spent and amount of exposure she’s had, Tara’d would have some sort of accent. My personal head-canon for Sentinels is that she does pronounce her A’s a bit differently, but that’s all in my head. Though I always imaged Tara’s mom to have a bit of a mid-western American accent, and growing up, young!Tara would have made it into her and her mother’s ‘special thing’ and would have clung to it after her mother’s death. But, if you’d like to know, the other options for Sentinels!verse were: Celtic-accent!Tara, Welsh-accent!Tara, and Geordie-accent!Tara. Each had their own set of jokes, too.

Ariel You know how I have those weird mental blurbs that are never addressed in the actual story/fanfic, but make waaay too much sense in my head for it to NOT have happened? Both being Watchers’ kids, I totally believe that Tara and Wesley had to have had some awkward play dates as children.

fhiwda Yeah, writing awkward teenaged girls is sometimes weird, because if it gets too realistic/awkward, it hits a little too close to home and it gets uncomfortable for me to continue writing(see chpt 7, where I got terrified of my own opening paragraphs and refused to write at night) Glad you like it, though! That makes it worth it!

Bewitchedyke Welcome! Glad you’ve enjoyed it so far, and I can only hope you continue enjoying!

Finey_McFine Wacky spellcasting shenanigans are definitely the best kind of shenanigans! You’re questions concerning said WSS will be answered in this chapter, so read on my friend!

ashcrash71590 Cotton candy is nothing to take lightly. While being the epitome of sugary, stringy goodness, the limits placed upon it and its flavors have done nothing to advance the art. Sunnydale is home to rebels, those who dare defy the Blue and Pink rules! Ah, ahem. Sorry. I’m a crazy person XD

TALLY HO!

Title: Sentinels (Chapter 18)
Special thanks: Ariel, because there is a scene here that is partially her fault. I mean, she’s guilty on account of ~inspiration~, but still. Shine on, you crazy diamond. Shine on.

Chapter 18: What’s Another Word For Gleaming?

“Me.”

The little hamster in Willow’s brain fell of its wheel. “Come again?”

Tara smiled her shy little smile. “You heard me.”

“Yeah, but repeat that, because you made it sound like you wanted me to fling spells at you,” she paused. “That’s a bad idea, just to remind you.”

“No, no,” Tara nudged her teasingly. Then, she stood. “Here. I’ll pop into a quick glamour, and you try to find me and undo it.”

Willow took Tara’s hand and allowed herself to be pulled up. “So you won’t actually go invisible?”

“Heavens no,” she shook her head. “That’d be a disaster. Just a charm to make myself blend in with the surroundings.”

“And the incantation I need to use?”

Tara regarded her thoughtfully. “Appareo should work.”

Willow giggled. “Latin for ‘appear’?”

“Gee, what clued you in?”

“I’m a clever girl!”

Tara grinned at Willow over her shoulder, sticking her tongue out and waggling her eyebrows. Willow returned the gesture, and with a muttered, “Latesco,” the older girl was gone.

Willow’s hand shot out. “Appareo!”

Nothing happened.

“Not quite,” she heard from her left. “Nice inflection, though.”

The redhead whirled around, hair whipping in the breeze. “Appareo!” Nothing. “Oh, c’mon!”

“Now, now,” right behind her this time. “F-frustration is a cute look for you, but it isn’t gonna help when it comes to magic.”

Willow was panting, hands on her thighs as she hunched over. “This,” she wheezed. “This didn’t seem all that tiring a second ago.”

“Pace yourself,” Tara said firmly. “You’re throwing way more energy in a spell that doesn’t need all that much.”
Willow stood up straight again, not quite wheezing as much. “Too much energy?” Despite her questioning, her eyes flitted back in forth, still searching.

“Think of it this way: You’re dropping a whole house on a vampire when all you need is a piece of wood.”

Willow’s eyes fluttered closed as she sucked in another lungful of air. “So, I’m all Captain Overkill, huh?”

“Pretty much, but we can work on it some other time.” She was right in front of her now. “Also, I think we should stop. You look exhausted.”

“No, no, no!” Willow protested. “I got this.”

A warm chuckle. “Fine. Let’s make a deal?”

Willow nodded so furiously she began to resemble Elmo. “Deals are good!”

“I-if you manage to pull this off without expending too much energy, as in, you can stay on two feet when I walk you home, I’ll give you a reward.”

“Ooh, what kind?”

“…a kiss?”

“I dunno,” Willow teased, feeling brave and also a lot better. “I seem to be able to get those from you without much effort.”

There was a sound, as if Tara was toeing the ground shyly. “M-movie and dinner? Next weekend?”

“Mmm, movie and dinner?” She smiled. “Most people would’ve said ‘dinner and movie’.”

“I figured if we watched the movie first, we’d have something to talk about over dinner?”

“You seem awfully confident in my abilities, Tara. M’kay, you got yourself a deal! Shake on it?” She reached out to where the voice had been coming from, only to come in contact with nothing.

“Nice try.”

“Phooey!” Willow began stepping this way and that, moving around wherever she heard Tara’s voice. “If you don’t mind me asking, why the glamour? Why not do the full invisibility spell?”

“O-oh, um. It’s just one of my personal rules.”

Willow heard the voice from right by the tree. ‘Bingo.’ Still, she tilted her head in the opposite direction, to make it seem as if she thought Tara was elsewhere. “And that rule is…?”

“Don’t go for complicated and flashy. The simplest spells are just as effective. It’s less draining that wa-”

Quick as a flash, Willow pivoted on her heel and grabbed Tara by what seemed to be shoulders, pressing her invisible body to the tree. Yes, definitely the shoulders, as it was a pair of warm breasts pressed against hers, a firm thigh pressed between her own, and luscious lips just barely a hair’s breadth from her own suddenly dry ones.

Tara had brought up her own hands to grip Willow by the shoulders as well.

“And another would be?” she husked, desperate to break the silence yet wanting to revel in it all the same.

“Don’t use magic if you can do it with your hands.”

Tara held. Willow trembled.

Tara’s spine tingled. Willow caressed.

Appareo,” she whispered, and the seemingly empty space between her and the tree seemed to trickle away, and a familiar form returned.

With it came the realization that Willow had missed those blue eyes in the past 15 minutes.

The feelings that realization filled her with were so intense, the only logical thing to do was pull the Watcher into a kiss not like any the two had shared before. Tara’s grip on her shoulders tightened, and a tentative tongue ran over her lower lip, pleading entrance.

Mrn, steamy.

15 minutes later, the two were seated back on the picnic blanket, blushing in the way young girls were wont to do.

The makeout session had lasted for quite a bit, involving the mussing of hair and quite a bit of tongue, much to the girls’ mutual delight. It had, however, come to a screeching standstill when Willow, in the throes of passion, eagerly bucked against Tara’s thigh, at which point the two girls decided together that’d it’d be best to just sit down and ‘cool off’.

Good thing too,’ Willow thought. ‘What kind of crazy person would I be if I just pinned her to the tree and rode her thigh right here in broad daylight? With children around! Seriously, who the hell does that?’

Color rose to her cheeks as the very scenario she just described to herself came to life in her mind’s eye.

“O-oh.”

Willow’s eyes widened, and she turned her attention away from the singular blade of grass she’d been fiddling with. “’Oh’? What ‘oh’?”

“That oh,” Tara said, pointing at a small group of people.

Willow followed. “Oh!” she nodded. “Homeless folk.”

“They,” Tara tilted her head. “They look so…together.”

Indeed they did. 3 men and a woman, and two children darting about amongst them. The shabby state of their dress did nothing to take away from the smiles on their faces, weary though they were.

“Yeah,” Willow murmured. “A lot of people think homeless people are all angry, crazy, or drunk all the time, but that isn’t true. People need people, no matter how or where you live.”

Tara observed as the four adults deposited what bags they had on a picnic table and sat down, watching as the two children were content to chase after butterflies a few yards away. “People are amazing.”

“Mrn?”

“Think about it,” blue eyes twinkled, and Tara rested her chin on her hand. “No matter how s-shitty the situation is, human beings always seem to find something that keeps them going.”

Willow returned her gaze to the group. “It’s a shame they’ll likely be dead this time tomorrow.”

Tara stared at her.

Willow clamped her hand over her own mouth. “Ohmygod that sounded awful! I’m sorry!” A deep breath, face red. “What I meant to say was, when demons can’t get into homes, they usually go for the most vulnerable.” She nodded to the children.

They sat quietly, Willow biting her lip and Tara worrying at the frayed edge of the blanket. Finally, she spoke.

“That sucks.”

Willow was stunned. That…that summed everything up perfectly. Turning to the young Watcher, she opened her mouth to speak, but fell short. Tara’s gaze was averted, and a pink hue settled on her cheeks.

‘She thinks she’s said something stupid.’ She lifted her hand, as if to brush a stray lock of hair behind Tara’s ear.

And then chickened out.

“You’re right,” she said, letting her arm flop back to her side. “It does suck.” Tara flashed her a grateful smile, and Willow preened under its effulgence.

Willow blinked. ‘Effulgence? What the hell?’

“Artie and I can patrol here tonight, if Buffy or Faith don’t need us elsewhere.”

“I just wish I could do more to help, you know?”

Tara quirked her brow, and peered down at the picnic basket between them, filled to the brim with the mixed contents of Willow’s pantry.

“Oh.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Shhhh,” Faith raised her hand, gesturing to the younger Slayer behind her. She flicked her wrist and twirled her finger, instructing Art to circle around.

“What does that mean?”

The leather-clad Slayer sighed. ‘No point in hand signals now.’ She turned to the 12 year old. “Circle around. Don’t wanna have this one make a run for it.”

The alley, as it turned out, was one of the very few in Sunnydale that didn’t end in a dead end. With her on one end, and Art at the other, it’d be impossible for anything to get away.

It seemed that the crash had come from some falling boxes. Wait, scratch that. Shipping crates. Large, heavy, wooden crates. She maneuvered them easily. Artie, she noted with a bit of amusement, had to lift her legs higher in order to step over.

There was the sound of struggle, and vicious growls.

Faith took a split second to think of an awesome way to make an entrance, and leapt over the crates.
“Ah-yiyiyiyiyiyiyi-ai…aw man.”

“Oof!” Artie stumbled into her back. “Whassa matter?” She rubbed her nose and tried to peer over Faith’s shoulder to see what had the older Slayer disappointed.

‘Tried’ being the operative word. Too short to do so, she ducked down and peeked around Faith’s waist, instead.
“Oh,” she murmured. “That’s not a monster!”

The corner of Faith’s lip twitched as she took in the sight of what was, to put it simply, the biggest dog she’d ever seen. “Some folks would disagree with you, kid.”

The dog struggled again, snarling at the crate that had it pinned down, before letting it trail off into a high pitched whine.

Artie whined too. “Aw, Faith! He’s hurt!”

“’She’, actually.” The older Slayer was by the animal’s side already. “Big bitch, too. I’d say St. Bernard, maybe a Caucasian Shepherd.”

Art stared.

“Had a short dog walking gig back in Boston,” She pointed her finger at the little brunette warningly. “Don’t tell.”

“I-I won’t!”

She turned her attention back to the trapped animal, who looked like she’d much rather gnaw her own leg off, rather than accept help. “Yeah, yeah. Been there too,” she soothed.

“She’s pretty,” Art pointed out. “Why’s she all alone here on the streets.”

“Owner probably got eaten,” Faith said, bracing herself against the crate. “Hence,” she grunted. “The alone-ly state of our girl here.”

“And people just leave her alone?”

“Probably got off all her own. Homeless folk and stray animals? Free meal for any of the nasties in this town. You notice the lack of shelters in this town, for people or animals?”

With a final heave, the heavy wooden crate was off the dog. She stood up, gingerly applying weight on her hind paw. When she deemed it in good enough condition, she shook herself, and turned to Faith panting.

She stared.

Faith stared back.

She wagged her tail.

Faith could feel a smile coming on.

“Can we keep her?!!!!” Artie bellowed.

The magic was broken, and with a deep wuff, the dog bowled Faith to the ground. Bringing her hind legs up, she kicked off of the Slayer’s chest and was down the alley and around the corner before the young woman even had time to finish wheezing her, “Ow, my tits!”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“That was really cool of you, Willow.”

The redhead stopped.

After they had passed out the sandwiches, the two witches had gaily(and how so!) chased each other back to the park entrance, giggling and running and occasionally one tugging the other along.

But now…

“’m not cool,” the redhead murmered.

“Come again?”

“I’m,” she blushed. “I’m not cool.”

Tara blinked. “Yeah you are.” She stated it plainly, like it was a fact to her.

Willow shook her head. “Noooope!” She turned her big, dewy eyes to the Watcher. “Tara, I’m…I’m not some uber witch monster fighter, I dress like a doofus, I’m a total nerd, and I babble like a moron!”

“Well yeah,” Tara shrugged. “Y-you’re not cool just because you’re a monster fighter.”

Willow looked down, a tiny frown on her lips.

“You’re a monster fighter because you’re cool.”

“Huh?”

“You put your life on the line every night because why? Because you don’t your best friend doing this on her own and you want to make a difference?” Willow nodded. “I think t-that’s the coolest thing ever!”

“You…you mean that?”

“Yeah!” Tara nodded enthusiastically. “A-and the nerd thing? So what if you like to learn? More power to you! The babble I think is really cute, too.”

Willow blushed, and rose up on her tippy toes before lowering herself back down, the sudden burst of joy within causing to do a little bounce. She tugged at her orange-and-grey checkered skinny jeans. “And the dressing weird?”

“I like it,” it was that toothy version of her cute, lopsided smile. “If we were in a crowded room, I could find you, point right at you, and let people know that that’s my girl.”

Willow’s eyebrows nearly vanished into her hairline (in reality, her bangs were just getting shaggy, almost flopping into her eyes when she wasn’t careful). “Your girl?”

Tara’s eyes widened, and her face paled. “I-I m-mean if y-y-you-”

Willow grabbed her by the back of the head and pulled her down for a kiss.

The shock that sizzled between their lips made it all the more perfect. Perhaps it was the magical connection between them, primal and ancient and forever as it was, or perhaps Willow’s fuzzy sweater had built up a sufficient static charge. Regardless of the source, it served as a perfect, physical representation of two souls, roaring ‘Mine!’

“I’m walking you home now,” Tara murmured, lips trailing over a silky smooth cheek.

Willow smiled dopily. “Cool.”

Post subject: Re: Sentinels (UPDATE: 5/9/2012)
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:33 pm 
9. Gay Now

dibs!

Quote:

Laughed. My. Arse. Off!

(Arse, 'cos English, see?)

See, why i like this story, is that it's interesting to see how established characters act in new circumstances.
Like, they have 2 scooby hang-outs now: Casa Summers and Casa Tiler (Totally forgot her surname, oops looked it up)

Faith living with Tara and Archie, with frequent visits from Buffy/Xander/Willow is gonna be awesome!

I hope this Faith gets some quality bonding time and less insanity, 'cos she had such rich potential, that i think was lost in 'Cool girl goes bad. Leaves.'

So, that's Saga Vasuki taken care of. who's next? Pretentious rich bitch?

Faith pounding the living crap out of Angel would be frikkin' hilarous.
If B and F tag teamed him, they might be able to stop him being a mysterious jerk.
I mean, he's a good guy and all, but that whole 'wooo, i'm mysterious and everything' bit annoyed me.
or having him trying to charm Tara only to get 'Duh. i'm gay. also you are a vampire, so start explaining yourself or get skewered."

Uh, what season are we in?

Also this was awe inspiring:
Quote:
Tough chicks like Faith were allowed to get all soft over puppies. It wasn’t like kittens. Getting caught cooing over those was grounds for mockery. But puppies grew into dogs, which were like wolves that obeyed you and that was five-by-fi-

I am totally stealing that line :)

Pure magic!

I mean it's from earlier in the series, but i reread it to find Tara's surname.

Do we get Fuffy in this story? is that why it took them 15 minutes to get 2 weapons? were they off smooching?

Wheee! i'm spazzy from sugar! Huge bags of fudge are not the friends of the concentration fairy!
I live near a factory that makes fudge. also nougat in like 10 flavours. and chocolate almonds and stuff.

Oooo i don't feel well.

I go bed now.

R

P.S: Story good. much hilarity. Rich characters, interesting storyline. :bounce
Can has story plz? :flower
P.P.S: Woooo! go me, I'm Extra Flamey now!
P.P.P.S: Still spazzy.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:39 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hey Starr,

Another great update! Loved the hide and go seek, magic style. Great idea. Artie and Faith, what a pair. Those two will crack me up scene after scene. It was great seeing Faith demonstrate some compassion towards the poor injured animal and I loved how you set it up that it looked like was going to come home with them, but...nope! Loved the little twist. It totally made the scene. Then on to more gooey-love-mush between W/T. My favorite line, "that's my girl." So sweet. Awwww. Love it!

Please update again soon-ish. This is one of my favorite stories on the board. I seriously get super excited everytime your comic genious graces us with its presence.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:37 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

SENTINELS UPDATE! :bounce :pinky :party :eatme :pinky :banana :bounce :pinky

Hey Starr! :bigwave

Once again you lofted a beauty right out of the ballpark – LOVED THIS UPDATE!!!

Quote:
“Me.”

Tara smiled her shy little smile. “You heard me.”

“Yeah, but repeat that, because you made it sound like you wanted me to fling spells at you,” she paused. “That’s a bad idea, just to remind you.”
Love the magical play and how you write magic . . . making sense of it yet keeping the bit of wonder. And Tara’s pre-reappearance? Mega with the sexy. And her actual re-appearance and eye-missing comment . . . lovely.

Faith and Artie, both funny and frightening. Like the pooch and Faith’s closeted backstory as a Boston Dog-Walker! :grin Love to see Faith retaliate if Artie tries to blackmail her with the story . . . then again, shouldn’t under-estimate Artie! :wink

AND that ending:
Quote:
The shock that sizzled between their lips made it all the more perfect. Perhaps it was the magical connection between them, primal and ancient and forever as it was, or perhaps Willow’s fuzzy sweater had built up a sufficient static charge. Regardless of the source, it served as a perfect, physical representation of two souls, roaring ‘Mine!’

“I’m walking you home now,” Tara murmured, lips trailing over a silky smooth cheek.

Willow smiled dopily. “Cool.”
There it is, the quirky quintessence of this quwazy stowy! (That’s what I get for getting Elmer Fudd to beta my posts!) But seriously, it’s romantic, poetic, funny as hell and utterly endearing . . . and dorkily dopily sweet! Brava!

You are a fresh voice on the board and yes, I LOVE this story, too!

Keep writing! :kgeek :whip :flower <= see? the flower is my new incentive program!

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:09 pm 

Hey Starrrrrrrrr!

Lovely update. Cute, funny, sexy, innocent and just all around fun! :grin Willow and Tara playing invisible hide-n-go-seek was adorable. I love the flirting and the sexiness of it all. The beginnings of any great love affair should be just like this...fun, yet full of wonder.

Artie and Faith are quite the dynamic duo, as it were. I can't wait to see what happens when they corner a real vampire, instead of an injured pooch. That should make for a regular comedy of errors!

Keep up the great work!!

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:08 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Hamster ... wheel... hysterical.

What a fun update if we don't think about the idea that homeless people are basically fodder or snacks or whatever. Tara and Willow are lovely and Faith and Art seem to be a good team. Art can learn a little more about slaying and Faith can have someone to mentor and lead and take care of.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:09 pm 
5. Willowhand

Azirahael The fun thing about ‘Buffy’ is that alternate universes are in fact, canon. So while this would, timeline wise, take place where season 2 should, ‘Sentinels’ is its own world. Thanks for the f/b!

True_Love Because nothing can end exactly the way Faith wants it :P And yeah, the scene at the park was so mushy I had to stop and go, “Wait. Did I write that?”

Ariel It’s my professional opinion that magic should always retain a sense of wonder, not entirely broken down into a science or substance, the way season 6 tried. Doglover!Faith was something that only existed in my head, but upon stumbling upon a photo of Eliza Dushku snuggling a puppy, I knew it had to be done.

Finey_McFine Thank you! I’m trying to make their relationship as cute and Twillow-esque as season 4, but younger, and without the hiding of Tara, etc. Thanks for the f/b!

JustSkipIt When we saw demons gambling stray kittens, it made me think. Every demon at that poker table was more or less benevolent, so I wondered, “What about the meaner ones? Surely they don’t just stop at stray kittens.” Thanks for the f/b!

Title: Sentinels (Chapter 19)

Special thanks: Ariel, for Ms. Poppendorfer. And True_Love, for shaking me out of the funk I was in.
Apologies to my readers, as I had some sort of mental breakdown, which I think can be seen in the lower than average quality this time around. I’m alright now, though.

Chapter 19: The Real Mystery Begins

Willow brought her knees up, chin resting atop them as she crossed her ankles. She looked at the other girl expectantly, sitting awkwardly on one of the stools around the kitchen island.

“Wh…that’s great, Wills!” Buffy was ecstatic. “Scored a date and everything! Thatta girl!” The Slayer was genuinely happy for her best friend. These past few weeks, there’d been a shortage of best friend time, and now here they were, talking about relationships and stuff. A whole step up from demon-y stuff.

Willow uncrossed her legs. “Thanks,” she blushed. “I…I really like Tara, y’know?”

“Oh, I can tell,” the Slayer teased, snatching a freshly toasted blueberry bagel off the couner. “What with all the longing glances, shy touches, and smoochies, right?”

Willow’s eyes widened. “You know about the smoochies?”

Buffy nearly dropped her bagel. “There were actually smoochies?”

“Well, ah..”

Buffy squealed. “Oh my gosh! I’m like the worst best friend ever for just finding out!” The Slayer bounced on the balls of her feet, and for the now, shed the mantle of a killer. All teenaged girl, she bit her lower lip to contain the oncoming shriek.

Willow blushed in delight, both at recalling the memories and having someone to speak about it with. “We’ve kissed like, 9 times now!” She lowered her voice conspiringly, “and 4 of those times were with tongue!”

This resulted in another squeal from the Slayer, this time muffled by the bagel in her mouth. The squealing brought a rather irate Dawn into the kitchen. She scowled. “Buffy, didja eat the last blueberry bagel?”

The Slayer presented her sister with the two inch piece left. “There...is a remnant.”

The preteen let out a disgruntled gurgle and proceeded to dig around in the fridge, greatly resembling her sister as she did so. “Oft!” She pulled her head out of the fridge, cold pizza between her teeth. “Gdiles saif ‘at oo ‘uys needta schee him.”

Willow tilted her head, perplexed. Luckily, Buffy spoke fluent muffle-speak. “She says Giles needs to see us. What for?”

Dawn shrugged. Willow sighed, and straightened her legs. “Whatever it is, I hope it isn’t too oogie.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“I had to ask, didn’t I?” Willow tried to keep her composure, even as the sound of Xander vomiting in the bushes hit her ears.

Despite looking slightly green at the gills, the blonde Slayer grinned at her friend. “You know better than to challenge whatever powers may be. ‘I hope it isn’t too oogie’? Really Wills? That’s almost as bad as ‘What could go wrong?’”

Giles sniffed, handkerchief pressed to his mouth and nose. “Yes, well, now that the two of you have filled your daily quota for witty banter, can we get on with it, girls?”

Willow looked around. “Shouldn’t we wait for-”

CRASH! “Oh holy hell what is that smell? That is rank!”

“Nevermind.”

Faith came stomping through the brush, and Buffy knew she was having fun because Faith could be panther silent when she wanted to be. Tara followed suit, careful to avoid tripping on anything. Art, as usual, romped after the two.

Willow smiled shyly. “Hi.”

Blue eyes twinkled under dark blonde bangs. “Hey.” She made to move towards the redhead, but stopped with a grimace. “Artie, go stand by Xander.”

The protest was immediate “Wh-But I wanna see!” She craned her neck and going up on tip-toes to try and see over Tara and Faith’s shoulders.

Tara was having none of it. A stern, “Art.” And the girl turned around with a grumble, moving to stand by Xander. The girls turned attentions to the body.

Or what was left of it.

Centered in a large circle, the elements and the sweltering California heat had reduced what was once a human being to the mess that lay before their eyes. The long, brown hair and the remains of breasts were all that signified that this was once a young woman.

Distended by bacteria, the remains had burst, and quite recently if the stench was any indication. Tara felt the bile rise in her throat, but fought it down.

“The body appears to have been here for quite a bit,” Giles noted.

“Oh, you think?” Xander asked sarcastically.
The older man ignored him, as he continued his observations. “It appears to be some sort of sacrificial ritual. Human sacrifice, obviously. Now,” he gestured to Buffy and Faith, and then faltered a moment. “Tara, do you suppose Aardwulf would like a look?”

Multiple eyes widened at the name, and Faith tried not to snort. “No, Giles, I’d rather not have her see this,” Tara said smoothly, circling the edge of the seal. Off to the side, Art grumbled in protest, having turned herself around and glaring at a nearby tree. In, what Buffy noted, was a perfect horse stance.

Giles looked pointedly at the younger Watcher, concern etching his features. Still, Aardwulf was not his Slayer, and how Tara trained her was her business. “Buffy, Faith, what do you notice about this?”

The blonde Slayer peered thoughtfully, and then sucked in air with a hiss. She regretted it almost immediately because of the sticky stench. She pointed to the cords tying the hands in place, almost gone unnoticed due to discoloration and having sunk into the flesh as they had. “Poor girl…not a willing participant.”

Faith nodded. “I doubt anyone’d be,” she pointed. “Check it out.” She pointed to various points from where she stood. “They bled her out slow. Lookit where she’s cut.”

“Glad to see you paying attention in anatomy class,” Willow said, trying to alleviate the mood. Tara smiled at her.

Score.

“Tara, Willow,” the two witches turned to Giles. “I don’t suppose you two could lend a hand, I need to see the circle.”

Willow turned green again. “Ughhh…”

Tara laughed. “It’s okay, it’s just levitation.”

“But! But I can barely float a pencil!”

Those beautiful blue eyes seemed to smile as Tara reached out her hand. “Trust me?”

..with your heart? With your happiness?’

Willow’s hand grasped her’s. “I trust you.”

With everything…

The air swirled around them, leaves kicked up by the small burst of power, and the others stepped back. Willow felt their energy connect, and only the presence of the others and the dead body in front of them helped her fight down the wave of arousal that hit her.

The combination of primal earth-magic and Tara-ness seemed to produce those results often. Oh, she hoped her palms weren’t getting sweaty!

Still, their time in the park had given Willow a crash course insight in Tara-magic and how she went about it, and with their combined power the body lifted easily.

“Very good, girls,” Giles ho-hummed, already sketching out the circle on an Espresso Pump napkin. “Hold it for a bit more, will you?” Willow tilted her head and grinned at Tara, proud of their accomplishment.

Sadly, anything that can go wrong, will.

Something yellow, white, and gray that may have been a breast slid off the rest of the remains, and hit the ground with a sickening SPLAT!

Artie’s head whipped around at the sound. “Cool!”

Tara, ever the sheltering mother hen, immediately scolded her. “Aardwulf Frost, cover your eyes now!”

This momentary lapse in concentration caused the floating body to waver, completely under Willow’s control. It swung towards the other teens milling around near the circle. Buffy and Faith recoiled, but Xander let out a muffled shriek. The chain of chaos continued, and in her surprise, Willow let the body drop.

And in an illustration of finality, corpse juice splattered on the leg of Giles’ pants.

Somewhere, a crow cawed, as if laughing at them.

“At…at least you got your doodle?” Tara said helpfully.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Artie sat in class, nibbling on her pencil erasure. After the eventful morning they had, Tara had marched her and Faith home, telling them that ‘Everyone needs a shower. Now!’ Nevermind that Art herself hadn’t even been within touching range of the body, mere proximity had put her in Tara’s Never Be Clean Again category.

The result was wet hair, and Dawn badgering her for what had happened, and why was she late to school.

The light flickered on and off, and their teacher stepped out, no doubt to ask about it. Honestly, it had been going on for weeks.

“So, are you gonna tell me or what?” Dawn asked, the moment Ms. Poppendorfer left the room.

She ignored the younger Summers. “You ever notice Ms. Poppendorfer looks a lot like Faith?”

Dawn shoved her. “C’mon! You can tell me!”

“Tell you what?” The two girls looked up to see Janice peering at them curiously. Artie sneered.

“You wouldn’t understand.”

Janice wasn’t dissuaded. “Does it have to do with scary stuff?” She looked at Dawn. “The scary stuff your sister deals with?”

Art’s mouth opened and closed, flabbergasted. She turned to glare at Dawn, who shrugged sheepishly. “Oops?”

“Are you guys talking about the scary stuff again?” It was Ravi, a lanky boy in their class. ‘Again?’ the Slayer mouthed at Dawn. “Hey, Barry! They’re talking about scary stuff!” A redhead boy rushed over eagerly, and Artie was very close to screaming, ‘What the hell, Dawn?’ but their teacher came back.

Ms. Poppendorfer continued class, despite the sporadic flickering of lights, and when the bell rung for a quick break, the five kids stayed grouped together. In that short time, Artie learned that Janice and Dawn were ‘frenemies’, Ravi had a crush on Dawn, and that Barry’s older brother had been the wayward victim of a possession that the Scoobies helped stop a month before.

“These guys aren’t all that bad,” she muttered to Dawn.

Dawn pursed her lips like Buffy. “I wouldn’t say no to you doing backflips and showing up Miss Wannabe Cheerleader there, though.”

Artie’s chuckle stopped almost as soon as it started. Was that-? No. Nu-uh. It was…it was probably ripping metal.

Yeah.

Her Slayer hearing absolutely did not just pick up the sound of muffled shrieks, right below them.

But, if it had…

“What is up with these lights?” Janice whined.

Well, wouldn’t that just show Tara, wouldn’t it?

“Spooky things,” she answered, rakish grin clashing with her girlish features. “Wanna solve a mystery?”

"Friendship is obviously magic. Love is a sorta super strong friendship. We gay people love so hard we broke 'Social Norm'. Ergo, we gay people are ultra-strong wizards."

Post subject: Re: Sentinels (UPDATE: 7/6/2012)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:17 pm 
9. Gay Now

dibs!
dratt! lost it, oh well, retype i guess.

So this was good, i liked the interaction between our girls, also Faith stomping around swearing was funny.
I especially liked Dawn and her mini-Scoobs, they were fun.

Keep up the good work Starr!

This is one of my all time favourite stories! :bounce

I have other fav's, but they are more scholarly works (Dry Heat, Reconstruction, Highgate)
this one is FUN. (You have to compete with How I met Your Mother, but there's a shortage of Fun stories at the mo')

So bring on the wacky hijinks!

R

P.S: you never told me if we get a dash of Fuffy in this story. :kiss1
pretty please? :flower

My Story: Coming Home

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:51 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Yay! So glad you posted Starr!

Best friend time was cute. Glad that Buffy is so supportive of Willow's relationship with Tara and that Willow is so comfortable about talking about it with her.

Once again your ooginess caused my stomach to turn while I simultaneously maintained a smile on face. I love how you can do that, keep the humor and cuteness going even in the most foul of situations.

Favorite line this time around was:
Quote:
‘Everyone needs a shower. Now!’ Nevermind that Art herself hadn’t even been within touching range of the body, mere proximity had put her in Tara’s Never Be Clean Again category.

I'm with Tara on that one!

Then you leave us on a little bit of a cliffhanger, hopefully to be resolved soon.

As always, looking forward to more!

Remodeling: The Reconstruction of Tara Maclay / W/T Potpourri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:06 am 
5. Willowhand

Azirahael - Yep! Faolan!Fic is intended as a break from the serious stuff, y'know? It's not meant to be intelligent. Just fin and wacky. As for Fuffy, I honestly don't know. I intend for this fic to happen over years, so we'll see. I honestly don't know xD

True_Love - Yeah, gross and playful, that's me. I'm like a puppy!
Quote:
Then you leave us on a little bit of a cliffhanger, hopefully to be resolved soon.

I...am....so....sorry :C

Title: Sentinels (Chapter 20)

Notes: OH MY GOD. I am so sorry for practically falling off the edge of the earth, you guys. I've been really busy with college, and since I'm studying abroad, getting used to the culture too. I'd like to apologize to everyone ever, and grovel for your forgiveness. I'm gonna try for more frequent updates, like the good old days

Chapter 20

‘Solving mysteries’ Dawn had decided, was not as fun as her sister and friends made it look. It was actually a lot of hard work. Their little group had even skipped out on lunch and recess, following only Artie’s hearing and, strangely enough, her nose.

“It’s like, this ‘rawrrrrrscreeeeee’ type sound. Like the raptors from Jurassic Park?” the Slayer had explained, making little claws with her fingers and stomping her feet like a dinosaur would. Dawn nodded, knowing exactly what she meant. The others, however, stared blankly.

“I…I can’t hear anything,” Ravi said slowly.

“Me neither,” Janice and Barry said in unison, already weirded out by the girl who could hear things other people couldn’t. Dawn held up her hand to placate them.

“It’s okay. She’s like my sister. Super hearing and senses and stuff,” A chorus of understanding ‘Ohhhs’ were her answer. Artie rolled her eyes. She supposed Buffy-and Faith-she reminded herself, would have saved enough lives in this town to be a sort of ‘open secret’ amongst the people. The older folks, grown ups and teenagers would have come up with some sort of theory. But kids like them? Like her? They could accept the truth of people fighting away the monsters, and acknowledge their presence as a fact.

Children, Tara had told her, believed. They were sensitive to the supernatural in a way that was almost instinctual, before society dumbed down their senses and told them the truth was fiction.

It was also, Tara had told her again, one of the reasons why children were such prime targets for demonic predators. All that fear, all that potential….and despite her playful personality, Artie remembered the things Tara instructed her to read. The stories Tara would read to her, over tea but never right before bedtime, of Watchers and Slayers and witches who came before.

That something was underneath a school full of children, well…

Lucky she was here, right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

“Lucky you’re here, isn’t it?”

Tara looked up from where her nose was buried in a large leather tome, blue eyes lighting up at the most welcome sight in the library. “Willow!” Her eyes widened at her unintentional outburst. “I-I mean, Willow, hi.” She smiles sheepishly. “Sorry.”

“Not a problem,” the redhead beamed. “Glad to see someone’s excited to see me. And before I let in on your gift, so I know the excitement is all for me.”

“Gift?” At that moment, Tara was suddenly aware of the heavenly scent wafting through the room. “Coffee?” She almost panted. “You brought me coffee?”

“And a muffin,” the redhead said proudly. She plopped into the seat next to the young Watcher, scooting closer til they were thigh to thigh. “Mocha for me, and a half Brazilian, half hot chocolate with a shot of hazelnut for you.”

“Well look at you all hunter-gatherer,” Tara batted her lashes, nudging Willow playfully.

“What can I say?” Willow basked in the attention. “When my girl’s been in the library for hours, it’s good to make sure she has refreshments.”

“I-I like that,” Tara practically purred. “When you call me that.” She pressed closer, nuzzling her nose. “Thank you,” she breathed, sealing their lips together in a kiss.

Willow sighed into the kiss, suddenly feeling very refreshed herself. “Gets better every time,” she whispered. She leaned closer, chasing after Tara’s lips as the other girl pulled away with a coy grin. “C’mere you,” the redhead growled playfully. “I want my Tara smoochies.” Her hand rested, palm flat against Tara’s thigh, and with the added leverage, caught those pouty lips once again. Tara gasped as Willow’s fingers twitched and squeezed her thigh.

“Ahem.”

Both girls sprang apart, wide eyed and gasping, to the sight of Giles, already at work cleaning his glasses. “Miss Tiler, may I ask how your research is coming along?” Despite his stance and tone, Willow could see the small smile playing at his features. Tara, having not known him as long, did not.

“It…It’s coming,” she squeaked, while mentally kicking herself at her choice of words. While both were doing the same job, Rupert Giles was a senior Watcher, a superior of sorts. To have been walked in on like that was mortifying.

“I was helping Tara,” Willow said smoothly. “Wasn’t I Tara?” Her girl nodded her head eagerly, gesturing to the book in front of her. “What are we studying anyway?” Willow stage whispered.

Tara held up the copy of ‘The Enchanted Bestiary’ to a suddenly very excited Willow. “I’m on the winged beasts chapter. Did you know Gryffins are really proud creatures, and can harness the sun’s energy for their magic?”

Willow let out an enthusiastic, “Cool!” and scooted even closer than before, practically on Tara’s lap, eager to learn more.

“I’m reading up on dragons,” Tara explained. “See, every few days, I pick a new creature or demon and make Artie research it. Facts, mythology, legends, stuff like that. I figured since she likes dinosaurs so much, she’d love to learn about dragons. After she turns in an essay, we go over physical methods on fighting them.”

Willow smiled admirably. “You’re a good Watcher, you know that?”

Tara chuckled. “Of course you’d consider the homework a bonus. Hey, look at this,” she points to a passage. “Though aerial predators, dragons prefer living in subterranean dens. Though they’re carnivorous, they also feed on the magical energy of an area. They can even use it to breathe extra years of life into someone.”

Willow looked absolutely delighted at the thought of it. “Wow, just think! We’re on a Hellmouth, and we’ve got lots of underground caves and tunnels. We might have a dragon in Sunnydale and we wouldn’t even know.”

Willow’s enthusiasm was infectious and warmed Tara’s heart, the flush on her face warming other places on the witch, too. “Willow,” she said softly. “I was wondering…”

“Yes?”

“D-do you wanna come over later? I know we have plans for this weekend already, but I really like spending time with you.” She was blushing, she could feel her face burning.

“I love spending time with you too,” Willow said. “Of course I want to. Have anything planned?”

Willow’s acceptance greatly increased her confidence. “Oh, I don’t know,” she smiled. “Maybe work on some lesson plans,” she gestured to the book between them. “Watch some TV. Maybe even make out.”

“Oh, I’m there,” the redhead said with a giggle.

Giles, still standing there the whole time, decided to walk away before the two young women attacked each other again, though the smile didn’t leave his face. Young love amongst magic texts and research. It certainly reminded him of the less dark days of his youth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artie frowned and exchanged a look with Dawn as the lights flickered on and off again. “Woah, isn’t that Ms. Poppendorfer?”

The two girls looked up at Ravi’s observation, just in time to see their teacher disappear into a janitors closet. “That’s odd,” Artie muttered.

“Yeah,” Dawn agreed. “What would she be doing in there? She isn’t a janitor.”

“Um, hello? Scooby and Scrappy Doo-fus?” They turned to stare, unamused, at Janice. “Somebody probably just puked? And she’s getting cleaning supplies?”

10 minutes later, when their teacher failed to emerge, it was obvious she wasn’t getting supplies. Still, the ragtag group of kids sat and waited. It was only after Dawn and Janice lamented the drainage of their shared juice box that their teacher emerged.

They all ducked behind the corner. “She looks…different,” Barry whispered.

“Yeah,” Dawn agreed. “What do you say Artie?”

Silence

“Artie?” The young Slayer had slunk away from the rest of the group, slipping into the closet as their teacher walked away, head held high, heels clipping. The other four raced to catch up. “What are you doing?” Dawn hissed.

“There’s nothing here.”

Dawn was having none of it. “You know all the weird stuff in this town, why would you run off like that?”

“Dawn, there’s nothing here.”

The skinny brunette stopped her Joyce-like tirade. “Oh.” There really was nothing in there. Nothing unusual, at least. Just the typical janitor’s closet type things.

“I told you,” Janice sing-songed, even as Ravi and Barry looked disappointed the lack of a mystery. Then, Artie’s head cocked.

“Shut up.”

“Excuse me? Rude much?”

“No,” she held up her hand. I mean, shhh.” The young Slayer threw herself against the back wall, ear pressed to it.

SCREEEEE

Oh.

Fingers searching, she gasped, eyes wide. Impossible for the eye to see, but easily felt, there was a seam in the wall.

A door.

Grinning triumphantly at her classmates, Artie puffed her chest out. “I don’t suppose you guys would be willing to meet here tonight?”

Plans were made, watches synchronized, and excuses made up as they returned to class. When the final bell of the day rang, they each made their ways home. To get ready.

“Hey, Dawn?”

“Yeah?”

“Don’t tell anyone yeah?” She kicked at the dirt. “I wanna solve this ourselves. Maybe then they’ll be more willing to include us in all the other adventures.”

Dawn giggled excitedly as they walked home, both inflated with their preteen sense of importance and wisdom. “This is such a great idea! This will be awesome!”

"Friendship is obviously magic. Love is a sorta super strong friendship. We gay people love so hard we broke 'Social Norm'. Ergo, we gay people are ultra-strong wizards."

Post subject: Re: Sentinels (UPDATE: 2/14/2013)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:14 am 
9. Gay Now

Dibs!

Scoobies: The Next Generation!

Very cute, the cutest even!

what's a bet the Scoobies TNG need rescuing by Scoobies TOS?

this is what i love about this story, not that it's silly, but it's light.
a sense of hope, not doom and gloom.

I love it.

And such a good read that it vanished in front of me.
I absorbed it, i am sponge, hear me squish with absorbed Scooby-ness.

R

My Story: Coming Home

Post subject: Re: Sentinels (UPDATE: 2/14/2013)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm 

Gosh, I can't believe I didn't leave feedback on that last chapter... :hmm

Anyway, IT LIVES!!!! I was so happy to see that you updated :grin and on Valentines day no less! I love to see the girls getting closer and all with the PDA's. I'm especially excited about their evening together. Although, I doubt they work on 'lesson plans.' *wink, wink*

Artie and Dawn deciding to solve a mystery themselves...can't end well. Can it?

Please don't leave us hanging too long!!!

ps. Glad to hear you're settling in and hoping you're having fun in between all the school work:)

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next