The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 26th June 2011)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:29 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
Hi Viv! :wave

Quote:
Jones’s eyes widened ever so slightly when he saw the Tartaria sketch, and his hand shook just a little when he moved it to set down the teapot, but both gestures were too subtle for Giles to note.
OK, something is up with guy. He is either a bad guy or sent to protect or something. Sounds like he has some sort of history with this thing. I dunno, but his creep factor just rose several notches!

Charlotte Amelia Twistleton Awesome name! I like her, but at the same time, I'm worried about her safety. She's kind of in a vulnerable position, although I don't think Spike will hurt her...if I assumed correctly.

I really enjoyed their talk about married life and having more fun. It really rang true to a long term relationship. I also got a good giggle when they discussed Pippa and ALL I could picture in my head was Pippa Middleton eating an apple, lol.

Quote:
It was past noon and the whole garden was bathed in sunshine. The only sounds were those of the girls’ slow, rhythmic breathing. No-one heard their breath quicken, become urgent, except the bed of chrysanthemums lending their autumnal scent to the air. No-one saw, except the gleaming river as it wound its silver path through the valley below, and the silent hills behind.
Just lovely! :luv

Nicely done!

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:34 am 
8. Vixen

Topics: 22
Hi Vivienne This may be a long feedback cos it’s from chapters 5-8.

You said to ask if there was stuff I still wasn’t sure about so here goes.
In the show Anya runs the Magic Box for Giles but here Willow and Tara run it. How did this occur and, assuming Xander is still in the building industry, what does Anya do?

You say the story is set around season six but no one has mentioned Dawn. Is she in L.A. with Buffy?

‘Mrs. and Mrs. Rosenberg-Maclay’, such a wonderful way to let us know that the girls got married. You say that it diverges from canon from early season six so does this mean that Willow and Tara got hitched in season five and did Willow still do the resurrection spell on Buffy like she does in ‘Bargaining’?

I did like Giles fretting over serving deer after realising what Willow did to resurrect Buffy. Surely though Willow would herself know that venison comes from deer?

‘He made a move so I ashed him,’ Tara said matter-of-factly.

Willow looked at her admiringly. Brave, strong, capable Tara, she thought. And I thought I could leave her behind?

I really like this portrayal of Tara. I feel that too many times in stories she is portrayed as being weak or feeble so to see her as a bit of an ass kicker makes for a pleasant change. I actually read a story recently on another site where Tara is alone and has to face a demonic entity alone. If you like I’ll provide a link.

So the other ‘half’ of the seal is hidden in a disused railway tunnel, should provide some interesting encounters with vamps.

She turned to Willow. Willow was fast asleep. Definitely, deeply asleep. There would be no waking her now, not for a good number of hours.

Ah,’ he said bending over Willow, ‘I’ll just . . . .’

Tara laid her hand over his arm and looked up at him.

‘My job,’ she whispered.

I do love this moment. A nice little piece showing Tara’s love and affection for Willow by just taking her to bed. So sweet. :wtkiss

He went to the large tray on the dresser and returned to Willow bearing a plate topped by a silver cover. He put it on her tray and removed the cover with a small flourish. Willow’s eyes widened at the sight of a plate piled high with a full English breakfast. Back and forth Jones went until there was no more room on Willow’s tray. There was a silver toast rack filled with perfect triangles of both white and brown toast. Little pots of marmalade, strawberry preserve and creamy butter stood to one side of it, along with a crystal glass filled with orange juice.

Dammit but that sounds good. I’ve just eaten and now I’m wishing for sausage and eggs with mushrooms.

‘Good morning Miss Tara,’ the still-smiling Jones bore down on her, tray in hand.

‘Jones?’ Jones? Tara felt the room tilt sideways.

Hmmm, is Jones somehow affecting Tara here? Could he possible be some sort of a warlock?

‘I wish Giles had his laptop here. I wish we could use our iPhones.’ Willow’s eyebrows rose with frustration.

How on earth was Giles persuaded to use a computer? Doesn’t he consider them to be, ‘those accursed machines’?

Jones’s eyes widened ever so slightly when he saw the Tartaria sketch, and his hand shook just a little when he moved it to set down the teapot, but both gestures were too subtle for Giles to note.
What does Jone’s know about the Tartaria tablet and is he a threat?

Charlotte Amelia Twistleton, this does actually sound like a very English name lol

Neither of them needed to mention why Willow had come here the first time. The dark days of Buffy’s resurrection had been all talked out long ago.

So I’m guessing that Willow went to Giles’ for recovery after resurrecting Buffy and never pulled the mind wipe stunt on Tara?

It was past noon and the whole garden was bathed in sunshine. The only sounds were those of the girls’ slow, rhythmic breathing. No-one heard their breath quicken, become urgent, except the bed of chrysanthemums lending their autumnal scent to the air. No-one saw, except the gleaming river as it wound its silver path through the valley below, and the silent hills behind. :wtkiss

I really like this, a very nice subtle way of Willow and Tara loving in as physical a fashion as possible without getting naked together. And the way that you use description to demonstrate that they are alone in the midst of nature, to me it’s just a fantastic piece of writing.

Somewhere, in a different part of town, the man threw his cellphone at the nearest wall. It shattered, its component pieces falling to the floor in a shower of plastic, glass and metal. The man sat down on a couch, put his feet up and sighed with exasperation. He took a Zippo lighter from a pocket in his long leather coat and used it to light a cigarette.

‘Bugger,’ he said, to no-one in particular.

I see Spike is also getting involved with this story, does this mean the rest of the Scoobies are going to be involved too?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:44 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

I still don't know what to think about this Jones character; is he a good guy or a bad guy? I'm glad to see Willow and Tara share some private moments when they get a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:28 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
I think I owe you feedback. Poor Charlie - sitting in the library (British Museum I think, right?) waiting for interesting assignments. I don't get that she's a bad guy - just very eager to get out of the library. Jones... I think is a bad guy or at least a pawn in a reality-altering scheme that can't be a good thing. I sort of can't wait for more...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:17 am 
3. Flaming O

Lady Callie

Thank you! I’m pleased you like the landscape – I think that garden is so romantic, something had to happen there ;)

DaddyCatALSO

I’m sure you’re right, but we won’t tell Charley. At least, not yet.
Agree strongly, it is the little moments . . . especially under an old oak tree.

Finey_McFine

Jones, oh Jones. An enigma to be sure. But what will you make of him now?
Charlotte Amelia, well, she seems like a resourceful girl, but time will tell.
Haha! Pippa Middleton! Now, there is an image to conjure with :)
Thank you, Finey x

willowtaralover

Thanks so much for your feedback! I like to start stories in media res. I think it draws the reader in faster, and I know I like to read stories structured that way myself. Of course, it does mean that the backstory comes out little by little over time, but I hope you don’t find that too irksome.

Giles refers to Dawn and her location near the beginning of chapter two, so we already know where she is. I know I said ‘diverges early season six’, but of course, as I continue to write, so the tale develops. I figure that, so long as I work within the agreed boundaries, most people will understand what I’m up to. It’s set several years after season six, of course, but my main concern was to avoid all the things we do not like . . . .(and no, no mind wipe)

I’m sure Willow knows that venison comes from deer, but I don’t think she noticed that one time when Giles actually said the word ;)

Thank you for all your kind words. I’m really glad you like the way I’m portraying Tara. I’ve always seen her as strong and that’s how I wanted to write her.

love_2003

It’s difficult to find private moments when you’re in the thick of an adventure but, yes, where there’s love there’s a way.

Jones, hmm.

JustSkipIt

Yes, poor Charley, but I have a feeling she won’t have to wait too much longer for some excitement. Let’s hope it isn’t the wrong kind.
Jones, Jones. Complicated.

Post subject: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 17th July 2011)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:35 am 
3. Flaming O

TITLE THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS
AUTHOR Vivienne
RATING PG-13 ....for the moment!
DISCLAIMER All BTVS characters and certain other aspects of this story belong to Joss Whedon, Fox, ME and associates.
SPOILERS Diverges from canon somewhere early in season six.
THANKS To Wayland (Clare) for her unstinting beta-ing.
FEEDBACK I have read so much first-class feedback on the kitten board. I would be delighted to be on the receiving end of some of that.

The Highgate Tunnels

Chapter 9

Willow walked towards the fire in Giles’s study, rubbing her arms. A chill breeze had sprung up as she and Tara walked back up from the bottom of the garden, cold enough to dispel the heat generated between them under the oak tree. She made room for Tara beside her. Together, they stood with their backs to the fire, soaking up the warmth as they watched Giles rummage amongst the heaps of paper, books and files on his desk.

‘I know it’s here somewhere,’ said Giles, accidently elbowing a small pile of books onto the floor.

‘It’s ok, no need to help, or anything,’ he said pointedly.

Tara and Willow exchanged a smile.

‘If we knew what you were looking for . . . .’ said Tara.

‘Aha!’ Giles held up a slim, academic paperback, ‘This is the one. All the known Vinca symbols and pictograms with various theories as to their meanings. Not that anyone knows for certain, of course.’

‘Your sandwich, Mr Giles,’ said Jones, entering the study with a tray, which he set on the coffee table. ‘Shall you take some coffee, ladies?’

‘Oh, yes please,’ said Willow.

‘But you’re cold, Miss Willow,’ said Jones, ‘Please, allow me to build up the fire.’

Willow and Tara moved gratefully onto the couch and poured themselves some hot coffee while Jones shovelled more coal on the fire.

‘You might be a little under-dressed for an English October,’ said Giles, looking at Willow’s thin shirt and Tara’s tee. ‘The sunshine looks well enough, but this isn’t California.’

‘Well, um . . . .’ said Tara.

‘We didn’t really think about packing . . . .’ added Willow.

‘Not as such,’ finished Tara.

They both looked a little shame-faced as they remembered how their ‘packing’ had been. Willow recalled how, tight-lipped and white with anger, she had blindly thrown an armful of miscellaneous, mis-matched clothing in her bag. Tara, flushed and distraught, had done much the same. It was not a good memory. Willow put down her coffee and took one of Tara’s hands in both of hers. They looked at one another. It was a look that lasted for perhaps half a second but managed to say, ‘how stupid we were, we’re sorry, we forgive ourselves,’ and, ‘so we are only human, after all, oh - aren’t we funny?’ All those things passed between them in a moment, in a glance and a flashing smile.

‘We were kind of in a hurry,’ Willow said to Giles.

‘Yes, well,’ said Giles, his head deep in the pictogram book.

‘I guess it’s true, though,’ said Tara to Willow, ‘we should do something about sweaters - and maybe even jackets.’

‘Hmm,’ said Giles, looking up, ‘Why don’t you take a run into Exeter and do some shopping this afternoon? We can’t make any plans until Charley calls back with our list, and I might have something from this by the time you get back,’ he said, waving the book, ‘Jones will drive you, won’t you, Jones?’

Willow looked unconvinced. One the one hand, the house, Giles’s presence and the apparent absence of enemies had combined to reassure her and so increase her sense of safety. Also, an afternoon’s carefree shopping with Tara was an attractive prospect. On the other, she felt a nagging urgency. It seemed to her that they were making slow progress with the Tartaria mystery, and surely there were things she could be doing to help Giles? Yes, they had arrived woefully under-equipped, but Willow did not want to do anything to draw attention to their whereabouts. But in the end it was a worried-looking Jones who answered Giles.

‘Forgive me, Mr Giles,’ he gave a small cough, ‘Is this altogether wise? I appreciate Exeter is something of a backwater, but one never knows,’ Jones stopped. He still looked worried, but now he also looked embarrassed at having disagreed with Giles.

Giles brow creased, ‘Perhaps we should err on the side of caution.’

Jones looked relieved.

‘What about you Tara, what do you think?’ Giles asked.

While they were talking, Tara had taken off her sneakers and propped them in front of the fire. She was in the act of peeling off her socks.

‘Leaky sneakers,’ she said to Giles over her shoulder, ‘the grass is so damp,’ and Tara sneezed.

‘Oh baby,’ said Willow, ‘you’ll catch a cold. Here, let me help.’ She unrolled Tara’s other sock, and hung them both over the fireplace like Christmas stockings.

‘I’ll go upstairs and fetch a dry pair,’ said Willow.

‘Um, I think, actually, these are the only ones I have with me,’ Tara shrugged apologetically.

Willow looked at Tara’s worn, stained jeans and at her own faded shirt as if seeing them for the first time. Bag ladies, Willow thought, all we need is a battered shopping cart. Tara sneezed again and, as if Willow needed further convincing, the breeze outside gained in strength, hurling a few spits of rain at the windows.

‘Ok, if we’re quick and careful, I think we should go,’ said Willow, looking at Tara who nodded her agreement.

‘If you’re sure?’ said Giles.

‘It won’t take long,’ said Tara, ‘just a couple of stores should do it.’

‘Keep an eye on them, Jones,’ said Giles.

Jones had no choice but to acquiesce. He gave them a bow and went out to the garage.

Willow studied her silhouette in the long mirror. On the drive, she had argued with Jones that a large department store in the city centre would be safest, since they could do their entire shopping relatively quickly under one roof. Jones had persuaded her and Tara that it would be better to find a side street with a range of smaller shops. He pointed out that then he would be able to park the Citroen in the same street, and keep a lookout. Tara and Willow had immediately seen the sense of this and were delighted to find just such a street, close to the city centre, but out of the way of the main crowds. They had stocked up on toiletries and cosmetics in the little drugstore – even treated themselves to perfume – and were now trying on clothes in one of the several exclusive designer boutiques dotted up and down the street. Jones was hovering discreetly outside; occasionally glancing through the window to check all was well.

Willow pirouetted slowly. She was wearing a chocolate-and-flame tube dress in fine jersey. The price tag fluttered from one sleeve as she turned. She raised an enquiring eyebrow at Tara.

‘Yes! Must have,’ said Tara, smiling, ‘Just the ticket for dinner in the old country house,’ she went on in a fake English accent.

Willow giggled, ‘I oughta wear boots with it,’ she looked at Tara anxiously, ‘do you think?’

‘Sure, brown leather, two to three inch heels,’ Tara had barely got the words out of her mouth before the boutique assistant had asked Willow her shoe size, converted it to UK measurements and found her the appropriate footwear.

‘How about you?’ said Willow.

‘Oh, I like this,’ said Tara dreamily. She held up an above-the-knee shift in soft blue silk.

‘Nice,’ said Willow, ‘but maybe not so warm?’

‘Oh, but madam would wear this underneath,’ said the assistant, producing a smoke-blue jersey tube in the same length. Tara disappeared into a cubicle to change. When she re-emerged Willow’s eyes widened.

‘Strappy sandals,’ she said, firmly. The assistant rushed to comply.

‘You look fantastic,’ Willow said.

Tara blushed and was about to reply when the strappy sandals appeared. She put them on and took Willow’s place in front of the mirror.

‘Madam looks very well, very well indeed,’ the assistant clasped her hands in front of her ample bosom, looking pleased.

‘Madam sure does,’ said Willow.

‘This is great,’ said Tara, ‘but we need some everyday clothes.’

‘Mmm, action clothes,’ agreed Willow quietly.

They spent the next twenty minutes selecting sweaters, tees, jeans and socks. Tara chose a pair of knee-length boots in black leather and they both added a couple of pairs of new sneakers to their purchases.

‘Jackets!’ Tara suddenly remembered the original impetus for their shopping trip.

Willow giggled. She was enjoying herself. Alright, she had never been exactly fashion-conscious, but even her standards had taken a dip recently. The best thing about it was seeing Tara having a good time. She picked out a soft shearling jacket in teal and put it on.

‘Oh, snuggly!’ she turned to Tara, ‘what do you think?’

‘Good, but not rainproof. Here,’ she said, handing Willow a brown leather jacket with a warm lining. Tara was trying on a similar jacket in black leather.

‘Yes and yes, I think,’ Tara smiled.

‘I think we’re done,’ said Willow, surveying the massive heap on the counter.

‘Amex meltdown,’ observed Tara.

‘Doubt it,’ said Willow, ‘When was the last time we spent money on anything except groceries and utilities?’ She looked ruefully at Tara.

‘Never mind, baby,’ Tara consoled, ‘we’re making up for it now.’

All of it. I will make up for all of it, thought Willow.

‘Hey,’ she said to Tara, ‘we should wear some of this stuff now.’

They let the assistant remove the price tags from the jackets and boots, a couple of sweaters, socks and jeans, and took them into the cubicles. As Willow took off her old shirt she felt something fall out of one of the pockets. She picked it up from the floor.

‘What is it, Will?’ said Tara, shimmying into new jeans.

‘Acorn,’ said Willow, tucking it safely into the bottom corner of her jeans pocket.

‘Oh!’ said Tara, fishing for hers in her old jeans that she’d discarded, that now lay in a sorry pile with Willow’s clothes on the cubicle carpet. She held her acorn up to Willow before pocketing it.

‘No way am I losing that,’ she said, and they both smiled.

‘So, what’s next? Coffee? I saw a sandwich bar on the next block,’ Tara put on her jacket.

‘Sure, but did you notice the lingerie shop next to it? There’s some amazing stuff in the window,’ Willow gave Tara a teasing grin.

‘What did you have in mind?’ said Tara, dropping her voice.

‘I thought I could maybe replace the baggy pyjamas complete with faded pink kittens?’ Willow went on.

‘With?’ In spite of the confined space in the cubicle, Tara managed to move closer to Willow.

‘Oh, how about a basque? Black lace, with garters. Silk stockings, black of course,’ Willow arched an eyebrow. Tara’s eyes widened.

‘Wow,’ she said, softly.

‘So, what about you?’ said Willow.

Tara leant against the wall and put her hands in her jacket pockets. She looked at Willow speculatively.

‘A full-length negligee in ivory satin, with ribbon shoulder straps. White, lace-top hold-ups.’

Willow’s mouth fell open.

‘Will?’

‘Unnhh?’

‘You’re drooling.’

They left the cubicle. The shop assistant, flushed with the exertion of bagging all their purchases, not to mention the pleasure of an unexpectedly lucrative afternoon, was only too happy to agree to bin their old clothing. She handed them the receipt with a flourish and hoped they would return.

Jones was hovering unobtrusively on the sidewalk. Together, the three of them carried the bags to the car and loaded the trunk. He elected to wait two doors down by the newsagent while they went to the lingerie shop as ‘it wouldn’t do for a gentlemen to be seen loitering outside such an intimate ladies’ establishment.’ Inside, Willow and Tara tacitly agreed that it might push their self-discipline too far to actually try on stuff in ‘Night-Time HQ’. They both knew their own sizes well enough to beat another credit card into submission with much enjoyment and practically no effort. In less than twenty minutes they were back on the street with boxes and bags.

‘Coffee and a sandwich,’ said Tara, ‘as soon as we’ve got these in the trunk.’

‘I really need to pee,’ said Willow as Jones approached, ‘like, really, really.’

‘Jones, we need to go in there now,’ said Tara, pointing at the sandwich bar next door. ‘We could order you a sandwich while you put these in the car?’ said Willow

Jones’s eyebrows met in mutual anxiety over his nose. He looked from Willow to Tara and back again.

‘We can see the car from here. Nothing’s going to happen in one minute,’ said Tara.

Jones looked mutinous.

‘I need to use the rest-room, Jones. Urgently,’ said Willow.

‘Oh, oh. Cheese and tomato please, Miss Willow,’ and Jones had taken the bags and boxes, and was off down the street as if chased by wolves.

‘I hated doing that to him, but . . . .’ Willow opened the door of the sandwich bar.

‘Poor Jones,’ agreed Tara as they went in.

There were a few people, mostly young men, seated at the round wooden tables. A sign indicated that the rest-rooms were out back, past the counter.

‘I’ll order while you go,’ said Tara.

‘Ok, tuna mayo salad for me,’ said Willow.

She was about to scoot off, passing Tara and the one person – a woman - ahead of her in line at the sandwich counter, when the woman spoke. Her voice brought them both to a dead stop.

‘I cannot understand why you don’t incorporate apple into more of your sandwich fillings,’ she was saying, ‘It is surely one of the finest ingredients you could use. Instead of grape and Stilton, for example, with which I’m sure everyone must be bored, why not try apple and Wensleydale?’

The barrista, a pale young man, looked at her patiently as he wiped down the glass.

‘Cheddar, red onion, celery and walnut all marry quite happily with apple. Thinly sliced Royal Gala would be my preference, of course.’

Willow and Tara, horrified, started to back towards the door. Unfortunately, the strap of Tara’s purse caught on a chair, dragging it over on to the floor. Pippa turned around.

‘Hello again!’ she beamed at Willow, ‘and this is a friend?’ Pippa looked at Tara.

Willow had little option but to introduce her to Tara.

‘How nice,’ said Pippa. She turned to Willow with a slight frown.

‘I don’t remember you telling me your name?’ she said.

‘Willow, it’s Willow,’ said Willow with some reluctance.

‘Lovely,’ said Pippa.

‘So good to see you again, you don’t mind if I join you?’ Pippa smiled sweetly at them.

‘Oh, well, we were just getting a take-out, I mean, we’ve been gone all day a-and we really should be getting back,’ Willow gave Tara a look of agonised apology, ‘Excuse me,’ she said, and headed for the rest-room, leaving Tara to deal with Pippa.

Once in the rest-room, Willow was as quick as she could be. She told herself that Jones would be there any second – maybe already was. She worried that Pippa might have recognised Tara from the train, but thought it not likely. It did concern her that she had left the train on the pretence of going to the buffet bar. That might be seen as at best, rude, and at worst, suspicious. Hurriedly, Willow air-dried her hands, picked up her purse and left the rest-room.

Willow stood quite still, except for her head which turned from side to side as she tried to make sense of the scene in front of her. She looked at the tables, the counter, again at the tables. Back to the counter. Again. And again. There was no-one behind the counter. The tables were empty. The shop was deserted. No Apple Woman. No Tara.

Every part of Willow’s being screamed that this could not be. Except her eyes. She found movement and ran from one part of the shop to another, mindlessly, looking, looking.

The jangle of the bell above the front door stopped her. Jones entered.

‘Tara – gone,’ was all Willow could manage.

Jones came to her and took her by the arms.

‘Gone? Miss Willow, what do you mean?

‘I went to the rest-room, when I got back Tara was gone, everyone was gone. We have to find her, they can’t have gotten far,’ Willow felt her voice breaking as her world threatened to fold in on itself and disappear.

Jones ran behind the counter, through the little kitchen and out the back door. Willow followed him. Nothing. They came back through the shop and ran out the front, looking desperately up and down the street, but there was no sign of Tara.

White-faced, they turned back to the sandwich bar. As Willow reached out to open the door, it disappeared. Then the entire shop front melted into nothingness, leaving a narrow, seamless expanse of red brick between the lingerie shop and the newsagent. It was as though the sandwich bar had never existed.

Willow fell against the wall. She raised her fists and battered on the bricks ‘No, oh no. Tara, no,’ she sank to her knees.

‘Oh milady Tara,’ said Jones in a broken whisper.

Carefully, he picked Willow up and, cradling her in his arms like a baby, he carried her to the car.

A few minutes away, a black Mercedes with darkened windows nosed out on to the eastbound lanes of the motorway. It would not stop until it reached London.

Last edited by Vivienne on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:09 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 2
Dibs!
This is awesome, I love this story. I have a feeling Tara needs Willow right now, I hope she comes back soon!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:46 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Yow. the plot thickens as if with arrowroot. I knew Apple Lady couldn't really be a red herring. We just need tyo discover if Jones is as upset as he's acting; I mean, just because he seems to be deceptive doesn't mean he's on of the bad guys. Given the disapppearing shop walls and other faerie-esque things, there could easily be multiple players here. FOr another example, are the limousine people and Tara's disappearance directly connected?

Hmm, so you don't call them "chemist's shoppes" anymore :-).

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:46 pm 

Agghh! They had such a nice day together and then WHAM! That damn Pippa Middleton! I knew she was up to no good!!! lol

So Viv, you did a REALLY great job of setting the relaxed scene and then throwing us a curve ball...bravo!

OK, so I'm gonna guess they're plan is to hold Tara as a bargaining chip to get what they want? Ugh, poor Willow. I would not want to be in her shoes right now. At least in Sunnydale there was only a few places you could hold someone, a crypt, the old factory, etc. In England...who knows where they could be!

Things are definitely starting to heat up! Keep writing!!!!!!!! :kgeek :kgeek :kgeek :kgeek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:16 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 10
So, I've been holding off on reading this, because I wanted to sit down and do a really thorough job of pointing out what worked and why and all that good stuff, but before I knew what was going on. But this story is terribly good so you must already know all that, and besides you've got Clare there to do that. So, I have given in and caught up.

Let me say it has been delightful.

I really love this story. You're writing is lovely: it's very rich in detail and complex in scope. That the world is a rich environment really benefits you in a mystery, because those extra details that are clues aren't obvious, but just fit in the landscape. I like that Willow and Tara are having problems. Them living happily ever after forever and ever can be nice, but it they feel so much more real when they have problems.

Though it was clear enough from the writing to follow the story, I actually looked up the train Willow and Tara took, as well as a map of England; though I have a good bit of family in England, I'm afraid I don't know the geography as well as I'd like. I cannot think of Paddington without thinking of Paddington Bear, nor can I think of Penzance without thinking "Pirates of," making their whole trip rather amusing to me.

The story is well-paced and intriguing. You unveil details at a good pace, always leaving me with a clearer picture of the setting, while still making me want more. Pippa is at once suspicious and innocuous at the start, with a clear turn towards dangerous with apple cores finding their way to Giles' home, and certainly has taken a turn for the "I kill you now."

That Willow argued so dutifully for Tara to stay home lest she be injured, only to have her go missing (presumably to London) is delightfully wicked.

Jones is sufficiently creepy and friendly, providing a lovely enigma about which you better damn well not be actually answering questions, because that would ruin the fun. But rest assured I wonder about him.

More than that, I'm afraid, would take sending you a commented word document; though I believe you have a reliable source that should inform you I am rather willing to do just that.

You win my applause and my praise, as well as a heartfelt request for more.

Kate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:51 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

I'm wondering if that Pippa lady has been after them this whole time, just waiting for her chance to get one of them. I'm guessing Giles wont be too happy with Jones when he finds out that Tara was taken.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:50 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Oh how brutally well done and shocking. This is the first update that just grabbed me and sort made me need to read the next. Before that, they've sort of been very good and well written and a good story. Now with this (and the Jones update) I'm totally sitting up taking notice. The first... what... 5/6ths of the update is wonderful at really letting us share the event. They're in danger but they're also in this sort of cocoon of shopping fun. Jones is outside and they are trying on beautiful things and having wonderful success. It's all very lovely and tactile. Then they go into the sandwich shop and it's very unsettling that Pippa is there but ... dangerous? Well obviously. And of course, we've got to assume that Pippa has some powers of her own because it's not like Tara is a little weak damsel in distress or anything. I mean, she is a witch. I truly love them rushing out the back and out the front and the shop disappears. And regarding Jones - it could go 2 ways - either he is a totally solid dude trying to help and protect and comfort Willow or he is the one who convinced them to go to a strip of local shops to start with.

BTW: My son asked me the other day if we could try every apple in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:57 am 
8. Vixen

Topics: 22
They both looked a little shame-faced as they remembered how their ‘packing’ had been. Willow recalled how, tight-lipped and white with anger, she had blindly thrown an armful of miscellaneous, mis-matched clothing in her bag. Tara, flushed and distraught, had done much the same.

I like this little reminder from earlier in the story of how Willow hadn’t wanted Tara to go because she was afraid she would get hurt, and Tara’s response to that.

All of it. I will make up for all of it, thought Willow.

Hmmm, make up for what? You say there’s been no mind wipe so what has Willow done?

‘I cannot understand why you don’t incorporate apple into more of your sandwich fillings,’ she was saying, ‘It is surely one of the finest ingredients you could use. Instead of grape and Stilton, for example, with which I’m sure everyone must be bored, why not try apple and Wensleydale?’

Oh no, the return of apple lady. Just had a thought, apples have pips and she’s called Pippa any relevance or just my overactive imagination?

OH CRAP, Tara’s been taken by, presumably, supernatural beings and is being taken against her will to London for god knows what reasons. The only possible upshot here is that Spike may discover and rescue Tara. Possibly…
A neat little chapter here with it going from fairly light-hearted stuff at the start to that cliffhanger ending. Can’t wait to find out who Pippa really is and why she’s kidnapped Tara. give me more, more, more. :applause :bow :applause :bow :applause :bow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:39 pm 
5. Willowhand

A kidnapped Tara ~pouts~ I do hope they find her quickly, as well as figure out what is going on.
I am still trying to wrap my head around it lol.
Great update!
I crave more....more more more

A Proposal Plan, A Star's Second Chance
Finey_McFine's Fan club http://finey-mcfinefanclub.webs.com/

"Pulse and Cocoon can rot for all I care. If I don't figure out our Focus soon... Vanille's gonna be a Cie'th. I'll tear down the sky if it'll save her" ~ Oerba Yun Fang FF13
http://www.astronsoulfanfictions.com/
http://astronsoulfanfic.tripod.com/twilight/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Well I'm all updated with this great fic now.

The first chapter were kinda dark because the ominous feeling and all the secretivity.
Now things are not better. I mean, Tara and Willow made up and even in such circunstances, they were enjoying themselves.
Then that cruel cliffhanger with Tara disappearing in such manner on the last chaper...
Willow wanted to protect her leaving her behind and they fought about it...now, she must feel she failed Tara big time. That's a pretty hard blow.

Can't wait to read more. Keep it up

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:02 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Viv,

This is totally wrong! I'm thinking about cheese and fruit and feeling total terror at the same time! You're evil! :devil

Liked the tension packing and their rediscovery of each other; lovely.

Then Jones. Who is he? You set him up with the description of his smile as someone strangely sinister AND he steered them to the side street. Then Miss Pippa who loves pippins . . .

Again, the rich description brings you right in and the relationship is believable and the suspense very effective.

I can only agree: keep writing! :kgeek :kgeek :kgeek

Ariel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:11 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

So I'm thinking of this story because of my love of apples (and Pippa's love of apples of course). So we just got some new employees at work a few weeks ago. They all seem like babies of course because they're ... 22? 23? years old.

So I went in the kitchen to make my lunch and I pull it out and there is a guy new employee microwaving his lunch in the microwave to the left and a girl to the right. Sitting on the counter is a small package of Skittles so I tease them asking if it's their vegetable. They guy says it's his and he doesn't have an apple. At this point he starts eyeballing my apple and offers to trade skittles for them (I wouldn't trade skittles for ... well anything because they're not food but that's another story really). So we start discussing apples and what's your favorite and have you tried honeycrisp and what about jonagold and neither of us likes Golden delicious. And this goes on for probably 2-3 minutes until the girl who has been listening the whole time goes... "Wow. I didn't even know there were kinds of apples."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:50 pm 

DAMN! I though this was an update!! :sob :sob :sob :sob :sob

Quote:
the girl who has been listening the whole time goes... "Wow. I didn't even know there were kinds of apples."
Hahahahaha...wow.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:48 am 
3. Flaming O

Hello everyone! Thanks for your patience during the dog days of summer. The break went on for rather longer than I intended, :blush so here is a somewhat short Chapter 10, just to warm up the Highgate engine. Normal service will be resumed . . . etc, etc. :)

Thank you brave-little-toaster, DaddyCatAlso, Finey McFine, BeMyDeputy, love 2003, JustSkipIt, willowtaralover, AstronSoul, viximon and Ariel for your kind, thoughtful and funny feedback to Chapter 9.

I hope everyone had a wonderful summer, see you all very soon xxx :kgeek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:56 am 
3. Flaming O

AUTHOR Vivienne
DISCLAIMER All BTVS characters and certain other aspects of this story belong to Joss Whedon, Fox, ME and associates.
FEEDBACK I have read so much first-class feedback on the kitten board. I would be delighted to be on the receiving end of some of that.

The Highgate Tunnels

Chapter 10

Jones managed to open the car door while keeping a firm grip on Willow. She lay limp in his arms, her face buried in his impeccable jacket, her hair trailing over his shoulder. He slid her onto the back seat, tucked a rug around her and fastened her seat belt. Jones was careful not to break any speed limits until they had left the city, then he drove as fast as he dared. He gunned the engine through the narrow country lanes, whipping around the bends and sending pheasants flapping into the hedges. From time to time he would glance in the rear-view mirror to see Willow huddled in the rear-seat corner, her eyes glazed and unseeing. The translucent blue-white of her shocked face showed every freckle in sharp relief. Her breath came shallow and slow. Later, Willow would remember nothing of this journey.

Jones floored the accelerator on the last stretch and made a hand-brake turn into Giles’s drive, coming to a halt in a shower of gravel outside the front door. He switched off the engine, got out and began helping Willow.

‘No . . . it’s okay,’ she said in a hoarse whisper. She unfastened her seat belt, leaned her head out of the car, and vomited onto the gravel.

‘S s . . . sorry,’ Willow got out of the car.

‘Oh, Miss Willow,’ said Jones.

With one hand on the door to steady her, Willow tried to walk. Her knees buckled. Jones caught her as she fell and almost ran with her into the house, his kindly face puckered in anguish.
Jones lowered her gently into the old wing-chair in the hall. He stopped long enough to tuck the car rug around her before dashing off toward the study in search of Giles.

Willow sat motionless in the chair. Outside, the wind was picking up and dark clouds gathered in the late afternoon sky. Inside, it was still. The house seemed to gather itself protectively around Willow, listening. The space around her expanded until the world consisted of Willow, the chair, and the hall. The walls breathed softly in and out, in and out. The ticking of the grandfather clock echoed around the wooden panelling.

Tick-tock,
Wil-low,
Wake up.

Willow took a long, deep breath. She let her head fall forward. A tear formed, slowly enlarging until it was big enough to roll half-way down her nose. Another came, and another. Heavy drops, falling off her nose and chin, and soaking into the car rug.

Gradually, Willow became aware of voices. They drew closer. Hands, there were hands, strong and gentle. The hands lifted her to her feet. Now there were arms around her, warm arms smelling of tweed. The hallway resumed its normal proportions. Her tears slowed, and then stopped. Willow hiccupped. She looked up to see Giles gazing steadily at her. He said nothing, holding her close as he looked into her eyes. Slowly, Willow felt the numbness leave her limbs. Her breathing became normal. She sighed and rested her head on Giles’s shoulder.

With his arms still about her, he bore her slowly into the study, put her on the little red couch by the fire, and sent Jones to the kitchen to brew a pot of hot, sweet tea.

Willow let the rug fall from her shoulders. Slowly, she unzipped her jacket and took it off. She looked at Giles.

‘Tara,’ she said.

‘Yes,’ said Giles. He pulled a chair up close, sat down, and took one of her hands in his.

The sound of rattling china signalled Jones’s entry. He put the tray on the coffee table with shaking hands. His face was chalk-white. Giles got up and fetched another chair.

‘Sit down and drink some tea,’ he said.

Jones sat down and covered his face with his hands. Giles poured the tea.

‘Come on, old man,’ he said, handing Jones a cup. ‘Think you can manage this on your own?’

‘Yes Mr Giles, thank you.’ Jones sat up straight, cleared his throat, and began sipping his tea.

Willow was grateful for the hot, sweet liquid. She drank the first cup greedily, feeling it hit her stomach, melting the ice that had started forming there from the moment she emerged from the cafe’s rest-room. Willow poured a second cup, and drank more slowly. She began to relax as the warmth spread through her. Feeling returned to her fingers and toes. Her cheeks felt warm, and even her ears and nose seemed to belong to her. Giles looked relieved as she tugged off her boots, sighed, and took a re-filled cup from his outstretched hand.

Jones was into his second cup, but wasn’t showing much improvement. His attempts to pull himself together were evidently failing. He slumped forward in his chair, wringing his hands.

‘I should never have left them, not for one minute . . . if only I had . . . it’s my fault . . . I can’t . . . .’

‘Jones!’ Giles’s concern showed in his crisp tone, ‘Blaming yourself is not the most useful thing you can do at this point. In any case, it’s hardly your fault. These events are not within your control.’

Jones looked stricken.

‘Oh, Jones,’ said Willow.

‘I think you need to go and lie down,’ said Willow gently.

‘Yes, come on, I’ll see you to your room,’ said Giles, standing up, ‘Willow can tell me everything, you get some sleep.’

Jones made no protest as Giles took him by the elbow and steered him out.

Willow sat, holding her cup in both hands. The initial, catastrophic shock of Tara’s abduction was fading, largely washed away by the tears she had cried. Now, she felt empty. It was as if someone had taken a knife and used it to hollow out a Tara-shaped space inside her. The rest of her felt fragmented. She stared down into her cup. At least she was functioning physically, thanks to Giles, Jones and tea. As for her mind, well, only a small part of it had caringly suggested that Jones should go to bed. Another part – a large fragment – was fighting the urge to run like the wind back to Exeter, to search that city brick by red brick, even with the knowledge that it would be futile because Tara, Tara was long gone.

There was part of her, a lost and lonely part that had entirely collapsed with grief. And yet another part of her that was very, very angry. The grief and the anger rose in her, threatening to engulf the emptiness and drive her in to action. She fought it down, knowing it would do no good, and was left with a kind of fearful, bewildered paralysis because in truth, Willow had no idea what to do.

‘He’ll be alright, I think,’ said Giles, coming back into the study. He picked up the poker and stabbed the coals back into life.

‘I tucked him up with a hot water bottle,’ Giles sat down, ‘he’s sleeping like a baby.’

‘That’s good,’ said Willow. She looked at Giles. ‘Giles, what are we going to do?’

‘Alright, first things first. I need to know exactly what happened. Every little detail,’ Giles poured tea for himself. His words gave Willow something to focus on.
She couldn’t think - not yet - of a way out of this, but here was the next thing to do, and that would take them forward to the next thing, and that would have to be enough because that was all there was.

Post subject: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 14th September 2011)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:01 am 
5. Willowhand

DIBS!

YAY the long awaited (but short) Chapter!!!
Good thing I re-read this a few days ago to remind me of it.

Poor Jones, the man is really kicking himself for what happened, but Giles is right he couldn't have done anything really, it probably would have happened anyway.

And Willow, goddess I don't wanna know what she is feeling, leaving for just a second then coming back and Tara gone, Jones rushing her back to the house. I am glad the tea helped, just hope they get Tara back in time.

I look forward to another update, hopefully soon! :grin

:kdevil :kgeek
AstronSoul

A Proposal Plan, A Star's Second Chance
Finey_McFine's Fan club http://finey-mcfinefanclub.webs.com/

"Pulse and Cocoon can rot for all I care. If I don't figure out our Focus soon... Vanille's gonna be a Cie'th. I'll tear down the sky if it'll save her" ~ Oerba Yun Fang FF13
http://www.astronsoulfanfictions.com/
http://astronsoulfanfic.tripod.com/twilight/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:10 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 3
Agreed. Much awaited. Much too short. More please......

Remodeling: The Reconstruction of Tara Maclay / W/T Potpourri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:12 pm 
3. Flaming O

Way too short! But an awesome update non-the-less! :D Can't wait for more!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:13 pm 

Welcome back! :bigwave

I'm not going to say anything about the shortness, because any update is a good update! :grin

I feel horrible for Willow right now, but she needs to pull it together because Tara needs her to figure it out and bring her home.

Still on the fence when it comes to Jones. I certainly hope, for his sake, that he was not involved. I'm sure he does not wish to endure 'The Wrath of Willow.'

Can't wait to see where this is going!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:22 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Hmm, assuming Jones really is a good guy, and given the previous suspicions some of us had about him, makes me think. I mean, if he were just an aging butler, he shouldn't be blaming himself; how would he even have known something was happening, and what could he have done if he had. On the other hand, if he does have soem minor or not-so-minor powers, I can see his feeling some responsibility for Tara's being taken. "It's a wheel in a wheel. . . ."

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:01 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Very good (if short) update. I enjoyed seeing just how completely trashed Willow and Jones both were. They both managed when they needed to - Jones getting Willow to Giles and Willow going to explain to Giles. Wow. Heart-renching and not at all resolving anything for us. Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:45 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Glad to see there will be more updates coming regularly-ish. A short update is always welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:11 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Vivienne,

Another amazing update, really liked the amazing curative powers of a cup of tea and the internal working of Willow's numb grief.

The clock was eerie, it seemed like a warning, a sinister warning. Now you've got me guessing about Jones, but I still don't trust him somehow!

More please!

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:54 am 
3. Flaming O

Hello everyone. It's been a long time since last September. Some of you know that last year wasn't my greatest. BUT that's all history. This year is so much better, in no small way due to my friends, in which I am undeservedly rich.

Ok, down to business. Highgate has been much on my mind. I left it hanging by its fingernails on the end of Chapter 10 and the rest - well, the rest isn't going to be any different!

For those of you who are kind enough to stay with me and who retain an interest in the outcome of Highgate, Chapter 11 is as nailbitingly tenterhooking as the last - and, AND Chapters 12 and 13 are already written.

So with many, many thanks to you all, and especially to AstronSoul, True Love, willowtarabuffyfaith, Finey McFine, DaddyCatALSO, JustSkipIt, love 2003 and Ariel for responding (quite some time ago ;) ) to Chapter 10, here is Chapter 11!

Post subject: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 2nd May 2012)
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:05 am 
3. Flaming O

AUTHOR Vivienne
FEEDBACK Feel free!

The Highgate Tunnels

Chapter 11

It was surreal. Here she was, sitting on the little red couch in Giles’ study drinking tea. The fire blazed and crackled, throwing shadows around the room. Outside, the wind strengthened as darkness fell. Rain battered at the windows. Out there – somewhere - was Tara. Willow shivered. She felt her throat constrict, a presage to tears. She fought them down, and forced her attention on Giles.

‘Every little detail,’ Giles was saying, ‘You never know what might be important, what might give us some kind of lead.’

So Willow told him everything. She described every car they passed on the drive to Exeter, every person they saw, all the shops they entered, the time each action had taken, all the conversations they had and with whom – with the exception of the one she and Tara had in the lingerie shop cubicle – and every item they had bought. Giles scribbled notes on a pad as she spoke, glancing up at her now and then, encouraging her to elaborate here or there, or turn her attention back to something she might have missed. Finally, she reached the last part, where she and Tara had entered the sandwich bar. In a halting voice, Willow related their meeting with Apple Woman.

‘Apple Woman?’ said Giles.

‘Yes, she was on the train. Oh Giles, I didn’t know, if only I’d known. She seemed so harmless. Weird, sure. But harmless.’

Giles’s eyes narrowed. ‘Weird? In what way weird?’

‘She talked about apples the whole time, that’s why we called her Apple Woman, although her name was Phillipa – Pippa, and she ate apples all the time she was talking and she didn’t stop talking. Her purse was full of apples and every time she would finish one she would put the core on the table, wipe her mouth and take out another apple. But she still talked all the time. About apples.’

‘Who else was in the carriage?’ said Giles.

‘I don’t know, just a few people, I guess. It wasn’t busy. I didn’t get much opportunity to check it out because of Pippa coming and sitting right next to me. Tara was down the other end of the carriage, of course,’ Willow’s voice faltered on ‘Tara’, but Giles pressed on.

‘So there was hardly anyone else in that carriage, but you didn’t even check them out? And you didn’t think it odd that this woman should make a point of sitting next to you when she could so easily have sat on her own?’ Giles sighed.
‘Honestly Willow, what were you thinking?’ He put down his pen, pushed his glasses up his nose and looked at her.

Willow was aghast. Put like that, it made her look foolish and incompetent. Was that really true? It hadn’t seemed so at the time. But Giles was right, of course he was right. What had she been thinking?

‘Giles, she was weird and she took up all my attention, okay? She was just this weird Englishwoman.’

The last thing Willow felt like doing was defending herself. It was merely a reflex. The words echoed around the room, sounding to her as hollow and empty as she felt inside. Willow leaned forward, put her head in her hands and rocked to and fro. She pushed her hair back and looked up, her face red and upset.

‘If I hadn’t let Tara come with me – ‘

‘Don’t start that!’ Giles’s tone was commanding. Willow took a deep breath and made a conscious effort to quell the guilt that yet again threatened to engulf her.

‘Tell me what she looked like,’ said Giles, forcing Willow to recall the neat package of russet wool jacket and green skirt, the heart-shaped face and glossy brown hair.

‘But she wasn’t making any kind of real connection with me, she was just chattering. She didn’t ask me anything about myself, not even my name. She was kind of – controlled,’ Willow paused. She was remembering how unsettling she had found Pippa. At the time, she was so tense it had hardly made an impact. Now, at a distance, Willow could see the effect quite clearly.

‘Apple core,’ said Giles suddenly.

‘What?’ said Willow.

‘I found – well, trod on – an apple core near the garage door yesterday. I was putting the car away when you were in the, um, bath. I wondered where it came from,’ said Giles.

A question began forming in Willow’s mind. Something to do with Jones, wasn’t it? But it dissolved as another thought took precedence.

‘So she followed us here. How? I didn’t see her get off the train,’ said Willow.

‘You weren’t looking, none of us were. She must have had a car waiting for her, which means she isn’t acting alone,’ said Giles.

‘It also means she – they – knew about you, about this house,’ Willow looked at Giles. ‘They knew where we were going.’

‘I think we’ll have to assume they know far more about us, and far more about this whole business than we do,’ said Giles.

‘Yes,’ said Willow, ‘they followed us all the way,’ she lowered her head. A tear fell onto the back of one of her hands. Impatiently, she brushed it off.

‘Very well,’ Giles picked up his pen, ‘back to the sandwich bar. Who else was in there, apart from Apple Woman?’
‘Some guys. Four or five, I think. I guess they were students, we were close by the University,’ Willow sounded unsure of herself. ‘But maybe not, huh? They were kind of, pale,’ she looked at Giles, who raised an eyebrow in response.

‘M-maybe they, maybe they were vampires? It was sort of dim in there. And I don’t remember them eating anything. The barista, too, he was definitely not suntanned,’ said Willow.

‘Good, now you’re thinking,’ said Giles.

‘I don’t understand how Pippa and a few vamps could have overpowered Tara so easily’, said Willow, ‘Even if Pippa is a major witch, I don’t believe she’d be strong enough to take Tara down.’

‘Maybe they didn’t use magic,’ said Giles, ‘they could have injected her with something, or simply knocked her on the head. They had the element of surprise on their side.’

Willow shuddered, her fists clenched and unclenched.

‘Steady now,’ said Giles. ‘Come on, we need to know more about this bloody disappearing shop.’

Willow closed her eyes, recalling the interior of the sandwich bar.

‘It was just a cafe, Giles. There was nothing out of the ordinary, nothing at all. I went to the rest room. It was just a regular rest room, but when I came out . . . .’ Willow’s breathing quickened as she made herself remember the sight.

‘When I came out,’ she went on, ‘there was no-one there, no-one at all.’

‘And that’s when Jones came back?’ prompted Giles.

‘Yes, poor Jones. He looked everywhere. So did I. I even looked under the tables,’ Willow managed to smile at herself, in spite of the tears that were now running down her cheeks. ‘We went out back, but there was nothing, no sign. So we went out the front,’ Willow shook her head, ‘I turned back to the shop and . . . .’ she took a deep breath.

‘A-and then there was just wall in front of me. The cafe was gone.’ Willow’s voice dropped to a whisper, ‘Tara was gone. I don’t remember anything after that.’

Willow’s face was pale, her hands shook. Giles put down his pad and pen. He leaned forward, taking both her hands in his.
‘Well done,’ he said.

Willow looked at him. ‘Okay,’ she said, ‘what’s the plan?’

‘Alright,’ said Giles, glancing at his watch. ‘Charley’s due to phone in her report in about an hour. With any luck, she’ll have turned up something on the tunnel question. In the meantime we go through these notes with a fine toothcomb,’ Giles indicated his notepad. ‘But first, we get something to eat.’

Food was the last thing on Willow’s mind. Her throat was tight, her stomach knotted. Fear, grief and anger threatened to overwhelm her second by second. Action was what she needed, and yet she knew they could not go charging off blindly without knowing where they were going or what they were doing. She recognised Giles’s mood. After Jones had told him the news, he’d recovered quickly. Gone was the peaceful academic whiling away the autumn in the countryside amongst his notes and journals. For all his tenderness toward her, here was an angry man. Here was a Watcher in full flow. The difference between them was that Giles’s anger was perfectly still. It was ice. Willow was just as able to transform her feelings into cold fury, but she was too afraid. In that state, she feared she would not have Giles’s control, and with her abilities, who knows what she might do? Right now, her best chance – Tara’s best chance – was to be led by Giles, however frustrating that might feel. Even so, food?

‘Oh Giles, no. I couldn’t eat anything, no way,’ she said.

‘You can and you will,’ said Giles, standing up. ‘Come on, you can help,’ he held out his hand. Willow took it and allowed herself to be pulled to her feet. They went into the kitchen where Giles picked up the kettle.

‘Giles – no more tea!’ Willow had to smile. Being up and doing, even if it was only this, felt better than nothing.

‘Then you can make us a pot of your best coffee, Willow,’ Giles said, handing her the kettle. ‘I am going to toast crumpets.’

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next