The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 3rd December 2012)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:33 pm 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 15
Cool!
Badass Tara is cool.

I like Tara's inner strength, in that she is often fearful or not confidant.
But she overcomes her fears.
with quiet strength.

Making it all the more impressive when she does stand her ground, because you know she's not going to back down for anything.

I can't wait to see the mystery revealed! :bounce

R

:wtkiss

My Story: Coming Home

Post subject: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 3rd December 2012)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:50 am 
8. Vixen

Topics: 22
You wrote

I’m getting the feeling you like Charley

Well if she's interested I'm available :P

I'm wondering about Pippa, whilst we know that she is holding Tara prisoner with the aid of a drug, but does she actually possess any powers of her own?

Why DID they take Tara and not Willow??? Can she tap into some power that Willow can't? Tara did learn about magic from a younger age than her wife did.

What deal has 'Pippa', if that is her real name, made with the vampires? Or has she got them tamed with magic. And are they alone or do they have a third party aiding them.

Whenever I read about Pippa I think of the woman from the Crabbies alcoholic ginger beers adverts. As you're from the UK yourself Vivienne I think you'll know the ads I mean.

Are there gods involved in this somewhere? You say about how Pippa smelled of apples and i'm sure that one of the greek goddesses has apples as a symbol. Of course I could be wrong as well.

Go Tara defying to reveal anything to Pippa despite her threatening Willow. Though considering Willow is with Giles, Spike and Charley Pippa would have her work cut out for her.

Post subject: Re: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 3rd December 2012)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:19 am 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

I really enjoyed that last chapter, it's nice to see Tara again. I liked that she pulled a little fake out on Pippa with the slurring words and such. You sort of led us to believe that she was really zoned out, when in fact she snapped to attention pretty fast. Now I'm on pins and needles waiting to see what she does or if Pippa has enough power to stop her.

Great job!

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

Post subject: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 20th December 2012)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 am 
3. Flaming O

BeMyDeputy

Hi Kate,

I’m just writing short replies this time – time being short! I thank you for the great feedback though :applause This chapter will answer some of the questions; chapter 21 is a direct run-on from this one and will answer some more (but not all).

Have a wonderful Christmas, see you in 2013 !

Viv x

Azirahael

Thank you, and I wish you a Merry Christmas x

willowtaralover

Thanks so much for your feedback, wtl. Some things will be clearer now, others in the next chapters. Happy Christmas to you x

Finey_McFine

Thank you, Finey :cool We’ll catch up with Tara and Pippa towards the end of chapter 21. In the meantime, have a very Merry Christmas – or Happy Holidays, as you say on your side of the water :wink Viv x

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:08 am 
3. Flaming O

TITLE THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS
AUTHOR Vivienne
RATING PG-13 ....for the moment!
DISCLAIMER All BTVS characters and certain other aspects of this story belong to Joss Whedon, Fox, ME and associates.
SPOILERS Diverges from canon somewhere early in season six.
THANKS To Wayland (Clare) for her unstinting beta-ing.
FEEDBACK Feel free!

The Highgate Tunnels

Chapter 20

‘No!’ Giles yelled, as he slammed his body into Spike’s, sending them both sprawling to the floor. Willow staggered back, managing to retain both her footing and her hold on Charley, who lay pale and limp in her arms. Both Jones and Shorty had disappeared.

‘What the hell was all that about?’ Giles said, dragging Spike to his feet.

Spike, whose face was rapidly returning to normal, started to say something.

‘Oh, never mind,’ said Giles impatiently, ‘I’d better go and find those two. Stay here, and for God’s sake stay out of trouble.’ He went out of the door.

‘Spike,’ Willow said. Her arms were beginning to ache, and she could feel Charley slipping out of her grasp.

‘Here,’ he said, lifting Charley effortlessly. He carried her back down the hall to the study, followed by Willow, then he put her on one of the couches and bent over her, peering intently into her face.

‘Think she’ll be okay?’ he said, experimentally slapping her face.

‘She won’t be if the first thing she sees when she wakes up is you,’ said Willow, ‘What were you thinking? Oh, I get it, you weren’t thinking.’ She shoved Spike out of the way and put her hand on Charley’s forehead. It felt cold and clammy.

‘Oh well, pardon me,’ said Spike, ‘Next time a couple of bads come to the door, I’ll make sure there aren’t any fainting girlies around. Of course.’ He lit a cigarette, moodily. ‘Anyway,’ he went on, ‘she’s a bloody witch isn’t she? Welcome to the real world, Charley.’

‘Spike,’ said Willow, ‘she didn’t know you were a vampire, she’s never even seen a vampire. She probably thinks they’re just a legend.’

‘Oh, I’m a legend alright, darlin’,’ he grinned, lifted an eyebrow and flicked his cigarette ash in the general direction of a potted plant.

Willow had to smile. On the couch, Charley stirred and groaned.

‘Spike, stay here with her while I go make tea – or coffee. And coffee,’ Willow started moving, then, stopped, ‘No! I’ll stay here, you go make the tea.’

Spike looked astonished, ‘Me? Make tea? What, with a kettle and a pot and everything?’

‘Yes,’ said Willow, ‘You can do it. And make sure you bring plenty of milk and sugar.’

She left Spike to find his own way to the kitchen, and knelt on the floor in front of the couch. She took one of Charley’s hands in her own. With the other, she stroked her forehead. To Willow’s relief, it now felt warm and dry. Charley opened her eyes.

‘Hi,’ said Willow, smiling, ‘How’re you feeling?’

Charley looked confused for a moment, and then she sat up. She put her face in her hands. When she took them away, her face was red.

‘I fainted? Oh my God, I fainted!

‘Don’t be embarrassed,’ said Willow, ‘people have been known to do far worse things the first time they see a vampire.’

‘I can’t believe Spike – I mean, I thought . . . vampires are real?’ Charley’s voice trailed off. She looked around the room and then back at Willow.

‘It’s okay,’ said Willow, ‘Spike won’t hurt you. He’s in the kitchen making tea.’

‘He’s a vampire,’ Charley said, slowly, ‘Spike’s a vampire and he’s in the kitchen making tea.’

Willow chuckled. I like this girl, she thought. ‘I guess a lot of people feel the same way about witches,’ she said.

It was Charley’s turn to chuckle. ‘I can’t imagine anyone being scared of me,’ she said.

‘Spike’s a - a friend,’ said Willow, ‘It wasn’t always that way but, um, there’s a lot of history.’

‘I’m glad he’s on our side,’ said Charley, relaxing into the couch.

‘Yeah,’ Willow grinned and stood up as Spike kicked the door open. He came in, oozing charm and carrying a tray, which he set down on the coffee table.

‘That looks good,’ said Willow. It was true. He had even found the biscuits.

Spike looked pleased with himself. ‘It’s been a long time, but an Englishman never forgets how to make tea. Like riding a bike.’ He grinned lazily at Charley and sat down on one of the chairs.

She’s blushing again, thought Willow as she handed Charley a cup of strong, sweet tea and poured coffee for herself.

‘No tea for you?’ said Charley, finding her voice.

Spike lit a cigarette. ‘I don’t,’ he said, hooking a leg over one arm of the chair. Smoke trickled from his nostrils.

‘Oh, no . . . of course,’ Charley’s blushes returned, deeper this time.

The tension was broken by the sound of the front door closing and footsteps down the hall. Giles came in, with both Jones and Shorty close behind him. With a warning look at Spike, Giles offered the two men the couch opposite Willow and Charley. They sat down and huddled up at the end of the couch, as far away from Spike as was physically possible. Giles took the chair from his desk, turned it around to face the others and sat down.

‘I was lucky to find them,’ he said, looking over his glasses at Spike.

‘Okay, okay, I’m sorry,’ Spike put his hands up, ‘I thought you were from the Highgate mob,’ he said, looking at Jones and Shorty.

‘We are not - vampires,’ Jones said, with obvious contempt.

‘I could take umbrage at that,’ said Spike.

‘But you won’t,’ said Giles.

‘Have some tea,’ said Charley.

She’s feeling better, thought Willow. That’s good.

‘Thank you Miss . . . ?’ said Jones.

‘Charley,’ she said, pouring for them.

‘I made that,’ muttered Spike.

‘Oh good man,’ said Giles, helping himself. Spike looked mollified.

Willow was quiet. She sat, cup in hand, looking at the two men on the other couch. Gone was Jones’s formal suit. Now, he was dressed in black jeans and boots, a high-necked black sweater and a leather jacket. Shorty was wearing much the same. The faces of both men were strained and tired, but underneath the tension Willow sensed the same core of strength and kindness that Jones had demonstrated to them in Devon.

‘So, you aren’t vampires,’ she said to them. ‘I’ll bet your names aren’t Jones and Shorty, either,’

Shorty looked mystified. Jones coughed politely. It occurred to Willow that ‘Shorty’ might see her nickname for him as uncool, if not downright insulting.

‘I – I’m sorry. I mean, I didn’t know your real name so . . . .’ deeply embarrassed, Willow put down her cup and carried on regardless.

‘Who are you?’ she said, sitting on the edge of the couch and looking from one to the other.

There was a pause while everyone turned to look at them.

‘My name is Grigore,’ said Jones. He turned to Shorty, ‘And this is Dragos.’

He replaced his cup on the tray and looked around at them all.

‘We are Vinca.’

‘But I thought . . . ,’ said Willow.

‘. . . the Vinca were extinct,’ finished Giles, as surprised as she was. ‘You’d best tell us your story, Jones – Grigore,’ he went on.

‘Of course,’ said Dragos.

‘But please Mr Giles, Miss Willow,’ said Grigore, ‘we would be happy for you to continue with the names you’re used to.’

Dragos nodded his assent.

‘Well, it would make life easier, I suppose,’ said Giles.

‘Sure,’ said Willow, feeling relieved, if a little disappointed – their real names sounded so romantic. But Jones had settled back on the couch with a fresh cup of tea, ready to begin his tale, so Willow said no more.

‘For a long time,’ said Jones, ‘the Vinca were the dominant people in our part of the world. We were peaceful and happy, having no quarrel with anyone. And then one day, thousands of years ago, the vampires came,’ he shot a look at Spike.

‘Before my time,’ said Spike, waving the saucer he was using as an ashtray, ‘I’m just a new kid on the block.’

‘They saw the Vinca as a threat,’ said Jones.

‘Why, if you were so peaceful?’ said Willow.

‘We have some abilities of our own,’ said Shorty. ‘and our shamans were very powerful.’

‘So you were no pushover?’ said Willow.

‘No, Miss Willow. We fought back,’ said Jones, grimly, ‘and this, the vampires did not like.’

‘We must be talking about some of the early vampires here,’ said Giles, uncrossing his legs and leaning forward, ‘After all, this was what, seven thousand years ago?’

‘Yes,’ said Jones.

‘It turned into a war,’ said Shorty, ‘a war that, eventually, our ancestors began losing.’

‘But we did not give up,’ Jones went on, ‘we fought on, even as our villages were laid waste around us, our people decimated, while they – they grew fat and ever more numerous.’

‘On the blood of our people,’ said Shorty. He took a biscuit and nibbled it pensively.

‘Clearly, you weren’t wiped out, though,’ said Giles. ‘Conventional wisdom has it that the Vinca died out completely during that time. A natural extinction.’

‘The remnants fled deep into the Carpathians,’ said Jones, ‘with their leader, who was also their most powerful shaman. Milady Tartaria.’

‘Oh,’ said Willow.

‘Yes,’ said Jones, looking at Willow with great gentleness. ‘While they regrouped and licked their wounds, Milady made her tablets, devising a daring, powerful spell that would rid our land of the vampire plague.’

‘Oh,’ said Willow, again.

‘And you gave one to Willow?’ Giles said to Shorty.

‘Yes,’ said Shorty, ‘the, um, Highgate mob has the other. The right person at the right time can use them together to perform a rite that will banish vampires to another dimension, a kind of limbo.’

‘Is that what happened all that time ago?’ said Willow.

He nodded, ‘When everything was ready, at the next full moon, our people let the vampires think they’d found them. They came up the mountain in their hundreds, ready to finish the Vinca for good.’

‘This is all recorded in our history,’ said Jones, ‘It says that the tablets Milady wore shone like a star, that a glowing bridge appeared between her outstretched arms and all the vampires were drawn across.’

‘Sucked into another dimension,’ said Shorty.

‘After that,’ said Jones, ‘the Vinca knew peace, for a while. As time passed, they realised that the world was a bigger place than they had thought, and there were still vampires in it. But they survived. They adapted, learned new skills and used their powers to stay alive.’

‘Today we live in the modern world, but we remember our history and keep many of our traditions,’ said Shorty, finishing his biscuit.

Jones brushed crumbs from his knee with a fastidious sweep of his hand. He moved a little way down the couch.

‘It seems there are others who have not forgotten,’ he said, ‘There are those who would use the tablets to recreate the bridge.’

Willow was puzzled. ‘To banish more vamps?’

‘Unfortunately, someone has worked out a way of reversing the spell,’ said Jones.

‘You mean someone wants to bring them back – those vampires?’ Willow was aghast.

‘Who?’ said Giles, ‘who can reverse the rite?’

‘The witch Phillipa, the one you know as Apple Woman,’ Jones said.

Willow heard Charley take in a sharp breath.

‘Why should she want to bring ancient vampires back from limbo?’ Charley asked.

‘The oldest reason in the book, love,’ said Spike, ‘the Highgate vamps have promised her power.’

‘She must be quite powerful already, if she can reverse the rite,’ said Charley.

‘Figuring out how to reverse a spell takes much brain power, not so much magic,’ said Willow, ‘Performing it is something else. That’s why she needs Tara.’ She turned to Spike, ‘How do you know so much about her?’

‘It’s what I came to tell you. It’s why I’m here,’ he said, ‘Or hadn’t you wondered?’

‘I’ve had other things on my mind,’ said Willow.

‘I asked Spike if he could turn up anything on the bones of the shaman that were stolen from the museum in Cluj,’ said Giles.

‘I wasn’t doing anything else, so I had a nose around, asked a few friends in low places and tracked the bones to Highgate,’ he said, ‘I found out about the rite and the witch along the way.’

‘But first,’ said Jones, ‘One half of the amulet was stolen, that’s when we knew something was wrong,’ said Jones.

‘The Vinca have always kept the two pieces in separate locations,’ Shorty went on, ‘so we moved the other half and doubled the guard.’

‘And then Milady’s bones were taken,’ Jones stopped and gave a deep sigh.

‘She tricked us,’ said Shorty, with a sympathetic look at his companion. ‘You see, our history tells us that only a direct descendent of Milady would be able to build the bridge. The Vinca have always kept track of her lineage. Most descendents have been quite ordinary. Witches and shamans to be sure, but nothing special. They were left alone to live out their lives without disturbance.’

‘But this generation,’ said Jones, almost reverentially, ‘In this generation, we have someone extraordinary.’

‘Yes,’ said Shorty, ‘Phillipa needed both her and the other piece of the amulet. To flush them out, she ‘leaked’ a story about how she’d found a way to bring Milady’s bones back to a kind of life. Enough life to make the bridge.’ He shuddered with horror.

‘Dragos, Dragos,’ murmured Jones softly. ‘We believed it,’ he said, ‘we couldn’t be sure that she could do this thing, but we couldn’t take the risk.’

‘Yes,’ Jones sighed again, heavily. ‘Phillipa knew we would try to stop her in the only way we could.’

‘We led them straight to her,’ said Shorty. Tears glistened in his eyes.

'Milady Tara,’ said Willow.

[center]***[/center]

Post subject: Re: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 20th December 2012)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:18 pm 
5. Willowhand

Dear Lord! *Takes out contacts, puts on glasses, takes them off and starts cleaning them with vigor*
I knew that Apple Bitch was trouble!!

"The Hammer is my Penis," Captain Hammer, 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog.'

Last edited by Missocki on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:48 pm 
9. Gay Now

awesome!

We always knew that Tara was special, now we know what flavour of special.

Also what are the Vinca?

I mean, we know they're not vampires, we know they look human and apparently have magic.
I figure they're just a tribe of peaceable humans with a talent for magic.
Hmm... sounds familiar.
And they're named after flowers?

Neet!

Looking forward to more, and thank you for the lovely christmas present! :bounce

R :flower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:47 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Hmm. The plot certainly thickens. Tara is doing well which on one hand should worry Pippa but on the other probably testifies that she has the power to open the bridge thingymagiggy. That bridge sounds like some bad business too.

I can't wait to see the rescue plan that everyone hatches. A very interesting crew has gathered at Giles'.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:23 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Topics: 3
I usually don't read stories in progress because I hate waiting for updates, but your title caught my eye and I'm really enjoying this. Also remembering why I hate waiting for updates. lol. But now I'm hooked. Plz update soon. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:10 am 
8. Vixen

Hey Vivienne Hope you had a great Christmas and are having a fantastic 2013

I realized something that I said in my last feedback when I asked if Tara had learned magic from a younger age than Willow. Well yes she has because she mentions that she learned it from an early age from her mother I think in the show and in many Willow/Tara fan-fictions, silly me :p

Lots of information revealed here with Tara being the reincarnation of an ancient shaman, Milady Tartaria, why Willow received the stone and what it does, who Jones and SHorty really are and why Pippa (Phillipa) kidnapped Tara.

Now we just need a plan to foil apple woman, rescue Tara and prevent a horde of vampires from returning to our dimension.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:59 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Oooh, now we really start to learn the important details! So Philippa really is up to no good! But if she is just a (human) witch and not some powerful shapeshifting apple monster, what makes her sure that the vampires will keep their promises to her? I mean isn't it to be expected that the ancient vamps will immediately kill her and any other witches who might have the knowledge/power to rebuild the bridge another time to send them back into limbo? And I'm still puzzled why Pippa is so certain that Tara has the tablet...Why did she not kidnap Willow too? If she had the chance of getting the tablet would have been bigger and she would have better threat material - "Tara, do what I want or I will have Willow tortured/raped/murderd" (worked fine in The Apothecary with the threats concerning Laura). I am of course glad she didn't because then there would be far less hope of a happy ending and the fic would be too dark for me to read, but I still wonder...
After these dark thoughts I pray Pippa won't hurt Tara next chapter as punishment for her defiance!

Post subject: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 14th February 2013)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:50 am 
3. Flaming O

Missocki

She sure is!!! My glasses have never been so clean. :glasses

Azirahael

Tara is very special, especially to the Vinca. The Vinca were a real people who inhabited that part of Romania a very long time ago. The tablets and ‘My Lady of Tartaria’ are also based in fact, but I have played very fast and loose with the facts. It’s more fun that way :)

JustSkipIt

The plot gets ever thicker, but I hope this chapter clears up some more (not all) mysteries. Chapter 21 really represents the second half of Chapter 20, in that it does answer some of the questions raised throughout the story. Now I am done with tricky exposition – it’s back to action and Willow to the rescue!

sandbarDragon

Thank you so much for reading – and I do understand why you don’t normally read stories in progress. Apologies for the post-xmas gap, life gets hectic sometimes. I do update as often as I am able to, and I am fully committed to finishing the story. About another eight chapters, I reckon. I’m so pleased you are enjoying it.

willowtaralover

Thank you :) I had a fine time. My 2013 is shaping up well, I hope yours is, too.

Quote:
Now we just need a plan to foil apple woman, rescue Tara and prevent a horde of vampires from returning to our dimension.

That pretty much sums up the next twenty thousand words!

Wills redemption

I think that Pippa might be blinded by her lust for power – people often are – and doesn’t see any danger to herself. She might also have an inflated view of her own powers, and/or be underestimating the strength of the vampires. She would have regarded Willow as unnecessary baggage because she thought Tara, being Milady, would have had the tablet anyway. Pippa probably thought Tara had it in her pocket, thinks she still has it magically concealed, and it won’t be that hard to get it off her. Ha!

And don’t worry, no matter how many tense moments there are yet to come, you know the ending will be a happy one. I promise. :buried

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:08 am 
3. Flaming O

AUTHOR Vivienne
DISCLAIMER All BTVS characters and certain other aspects of this story belong to Joss Whedon, Fox, ME and associates.
FEEDBACK Feel free!

The Highgate Tunnels

Chapter 21

Charley stood up and excused herself to the bathroom. Willow hardly noticed as her mind raced back over the last weeks. She recalled the vampire attack in Sunnydale when Shorty had thrust the tablet into her hand, then their mad dash across the Atlantic with her and Tara barely on speaking terms. She saw Tara’s anguished face after she’d snapped at her in the parking lot outside Exeter railway station. She saw Tara by firelight the same evening in Giles’s study, Tara laughing as they shopped for clothes, Tara ethereal in the moonlight at Stonehenge. Every image that passed in front of Willow’s inner eye was dominated by Tara.

‘Milady Tara,’ she repeated, gazing steadily at Jones and Shorty.

Both Vinca men sat quiet and still, their eyes downcast. Tears dripped steadily from the end of Shorty’s nose. All the fear, pain and anger in Willow burst to the surface.

‘What were you thinking?’ She yelled at them.

‘Willow,’ Giles’s voice was sharp, urgent.

She covered her face with her hands, knowing her eyes were changing for the second time since she’d walked into this room. What, can’t I feel anything negative now without this happening? Do I have to be like a – a Stepford wife or something? She breathed long and slow, and then looked up at Giles.

‘Okay, I’m okay. Okay?’ she said.

‘Okay,’ said Giles.

I can’t go on like this, she thought.

‘And you thought all you had to worry about were some vamps and a power-hungry Pippa?’ Spike’s gaze flicked from Jones and Shorty, to Willow, and back again. He let his head loll back on the chair.

‘We put our faith in Miss Tara,’ said Jones, ‘she is our Lady.’

‘A pity you hadn’t told her that,’ said Giles.

‘It was our intention to take the small tablet directly to Miss Tara and explain everything,’ said Shorty, ‘but that proved to be extremely difficult because these – these creatures, they had followed us.’

‘And your plan was what?’ said Giles, ‘To persuade Tara to come to London to retrieve the stolen half of the amulet?’ He ticked off a finger, ‘And Milady Tartaria’s bones,’ Another finger, ‘Not to mention thwarting Phillipa and her undead chums?’ He swept his hand through the air, ‘You weren’t asking much, then?’

Anger stabbed at Willow again. She looked down at her hands, breathing carefully and evenly. I’m angry and I’m scared. Mostly, I’m scared. My fear is feeding my anger, and my anger is looking for someone to blame. Okay.

‘No-one but Milady Tara could do it,’ said Jones, ‘and we, all we Vinca, would have been with her every step of the
way.’

‘But it all went wrong,’ said Willow quietly, thinking of the scene outside the Magic Box when she and Tara had found Shorty being attacked by a group of vampires. Shorty had thrust the tablet into her hand, whispered a hoarse, cryptic message and then faded back into the night as she and Tara staked the vamps.

‘Yes,’ Jones bowed his head.

‘You panicked,’ Spike said to the ceiling, blowing smoke upwards like a geyser letting off steam. He sat up, smirking.

The door opened and Charley came in. She took her seat quietly beside Willow. Spike winked at her. She didn’t even notice, thought Willow, she looks pale. Maybe she just needs to rest awhile. She turned her attention back to Jones, who was glaring at Spike. His expression softened as he turned to Willow.

‘Yes, we panicked,’ he said to her.

‘Three of us went to Sunnydale,’ said Shorty, ‘Grigore – Jones that is, myself, and my brother Skender.’ He stopped. Jones glanced at him quickly before leaning forward to take up the story.

‘Shorty took the train to Sunnydale, I drove, and Skender came in by bus. He arrived in the evening, after dark. He barely made it half-way to the hotel.’

‘I’m so sorry,’ said Willow gently. She looked at Shorty. He must have been in bits, poor guy. He must still be in bits.

‘Had it not been for Milady Tara and you, Miss Willow,’ said Shorty, ‘then I – I would be as Skender.’

All Willow’s anger dissolved into empathy as she looked at the man on the sofa opposite her, his shoulders slumped, his face a picture of misery. Instinctively, she reached out with her hand and laid it over one of his. It was cool to the touch, and shook slightly. He looked at her, surprise overtaking the sorrow in his eyes. Willow gave his hand a squeeze. He sighed, and then seemed to relax a little. His hand stopped shaking. Jones cleared his throat. Willow gently withdrew her hand and sat back, looking at Jones.

‘We were so sure we hadn’t been followed,’ said Jones.

‘I know that feeling,’ said Willow.

‘There were so many of them,’ said Shorty, ‘and somehow, we had to get to Miss Tara.’

‘Like I said, you panicked,’ said Spike.

‘Alright,’ Giles snapped at him, ‘I think we’ve established that.’

‘And ran away,’ said Spike.

‘Spike!’ said Giles.

Spike ground his cigarette butt into the saucer he was using as an ashtray, but said no more.

‘After Dragos – Shorty - gave you the tablet, I stayed in Sunnydale, waiting for the opportunity to talk to you.’

‘I – I had to take Skender home,’ said Shorty, sorrowfully.

‘I am so sorry you had to do that alone, my friend,’ said Jones.

‘You had to stay,’ said Shorty with a shake of his head.

‘But I could find no such opportunity to speak to Milady Tara or yourself,’ Jones said to Willow, ‘You were being watched very closely, it was too dangerous.’

‘So you followed us here, to England,’ said Willow.

‘Yes,’ Jones inclined his head, ‘I took the next flight after yours. Some of our people tailed you to Exeter, and then to Mr Giles’s house. I arrived some hours later. Of course,’ he went on, ‘our enemies were also close behind you.’

Willow sat back with a sigh. It feels like half of Europe followed us here, she thought, and I thought . . . . There was no point in dwelling on past mistakes. She straightened herself.

‘But you found a way to slip by them into the house,’ said Giles, leaning forward, ‘So why did you use that memory spell? Why didn’t you simply explain the situation to us there and then? Why all the subterfuge?’ Giles spoke rapidly, his voice rising with anger.

‘We didn’t know who you were,’ Jones gazed steadily at Giles, eye to eye. ‘I had to be sure you were trustworthy before I could approach Milady openly. I apologise for doing what I did, but it was the best way to remain by her side, to protect her, while we checked you out.’

Epic fail,’ murmured Spike under his breath.

‘Yes,’ said Jones, looking at him, ‘I failed.’

Charley burst into tears.

‘Charley-’ Willow said anxiously, spinning around to face her.

‘Oh –oh –oh,’ was all she could manage, between sobs.

Willow put her hand on Charley’s arm.

‘I-I’m so sorry,’ she said, then stood up and fled the room, leaving Willow open-mouthed.

‘I guess this has been a really big deal for her,’ she said, ‘a lot of new stuff to take in.’

‘Yes,’ said Giles, ‘and I imagine she must be extremely tired, as indeed we all are.’

He went to the window and poked his head through the drapes. Outside, the early dawn was just breaking over the Hampstead rooftops. The streetlamps still glowed, but all was quiet. It was still too early for anyone to be up and about. If there was anyone watching the apartment, then they were well hidden.

‘It’s been a long day – and night,’ he said, withdrawing from the window, ‘I suggest we all get some rest. We can make our plans for the Highgate Tunnels later, when we have clear minds.’

‘We’ll go tonight?’ said Willow.

‘Yes,’ said Giles, ‘Can you handle waiting?’

‘Yes,’ said Willow.

Giles looked at her carefully and then smiled, ‘Good.’

‘So,’ said Spike, ‘Twenty-four hours to crack the case.’ He looked around with a sour grin, ‘If only we had a crack team.’ He stood up, stretched, yawned and cracked his knuckles. Willow winced.

‘Right. Spike, you and I will take the sofas in the lounge,’ said Giles. He looked at the Vincas. ‘I hope you can both make yourselves comfortable in here.’ Both men nodded their assent.

‘I’d better find Charley,’ said Willow.

‘Yes,’ said Giles, ‘If you wouldn’t mind. Perhaps you could put her in the guest room? You take my room.’

Willow found Charley leaning over the kitchen sink dabbing at her face with a wad of soggy tissue.

‘Oh, I’m s-sorry,’ said Charley, snuffling.

Willow put her arms around her and hugged.

‘S’okay. Really. It’s okay. Come on, it’s time to sleep.’

She led the uncomplaining Charley by the hand out of the kitchen and down the hall. They passed Giles, who was distributing spare pillows and throws from a cupboard. He looked pale, the lines on his face more deeply etched than usual. Willow sat Charley on the bed in the guest room. She pulled off her boots, guided her head onto the pillows, spread the duvet over her and whispered ‘goodnight’.

Willow lay on her back in Giles’s bed wondering why she felt a sense of peace. As she drifted off, she realised she was no longer asking herself - as had long been her habit - whether she should or should not be using magic, and what might happen if she did. She rolled over and fell into an exhausted sleep.

In the next room, Charley’s cellphone glowed against her ear.

‘Mother? Are you awake? I really need to talk to you.’

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 am 
5. Willowhand

Meany! Giving us a cliffhanger like that!
Forward progress woot! It's good to know more of what's going on, but the rescuing of Tara must comince!

"The Hammer is my Penis," Captain Hammer, 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog.'

Post subject: Re: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 14th February 2013)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 pm 

As always, lot's going on. I'm super excited to see them getting closer to going into the tunnels and finally rescuing Tara. Although, I'm sure you have some surprises up your sleeve. I'm also loving how you write Spike and Giles...they are spot on!

Now I'm worried about Charley. I don't think she is as innocent as everyone believes and why is she calling her mother??? More importantly, who is her mother? Pippa????? :hmm

Post subject: Re: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 14th February 2013)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:11 am 
8. Vixen

Hey Vivienne Glad to hear you're having a good 2013. I'm having a pretty good year myself so far and hopefully I'll be finishing one of my stories this year.

I really feel for Willow at the start of this adventure, regretting all the arguments she'd had withTara and trying to control herself so that she doesn't go all dark again as she did in season sucks. Hopefully she'll be able to really let loose on Pippa at the showdown.

I like the 'crack team' reference harking back to the season 4 episode 'Doomed', if I'm. right

Interesting that all this time after season six Willow still wonders, at times is she should still use magic or not.

In the next room, Charley’s cellphone glowed against her ear.

‘Mother? Are you awake? I really need to talk to you.’

Uh oh, why do I get the feeling that Charly is related to Pippa. Hope that this doesn't mean difficulty for Willow, Giles and the gang when they rescue Tara.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:57 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Yay, update! :applause :applause :applause Not from Tara's perspective as I expected it to be, but I'm glad to hear that the rescue mission is about to start soon. Hopefully the much needed rest won't cause trouble (like more of Pippa's lackeys bursting in on them in search for the tablet). Charley's behaviour here makes me suspect that Pippa is her (half) sister or something like that...and maybe her negative example caused Charley to try to turn her back on magic... If so, I hope calling her mother won't make things worse...
I can hardly wait for the next chapter! This story is fantastic! :clap

Post subject: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 21st March 2013)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:27 am 
3. Flaming O

Missocki

Apologies for the cliff-hanger (tee-hee). We’re going to catch up with Tara now, but rescuing will begin in the next chapter!

Finey_McFine

Thanks for the compliment. I do my best to keep our characters ‘in character’, and it’s good to know when I’ve pulled it off.

Charley, ah yes. Chapter 23 will give you the answer to that little question :hmm

willowtaralover

You are right, of course. ‘Doomed’ is the reference, well-spotted you!

As the story develops it does move further away from canon. I think this is pretty inevitable. I feel that it’s okay as long as the story retains internal consistency and the characters remain true to themselves.

Chapter 23 reveals the Charley mystery, so not long to wait. Thanks for commenting :)

Wills redemption

I think this is the chapter you were expecting last time – very happy to oblige!

Chapter 23 solves the Charley question. That is also when the rescue mission really begins.

I am so glad you like the story so far. Thanks for reading :applause

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:43 am 
3. Flaming O

AUTHOR Vivienne
FEEDBACK Feel free

The Highgate Tunnels

Chapter 22

‘No,’ said Tara.

Pippa’s manner changed from cajoling to threatening in an instant. Her eyes narrowed. She compressed her perfect rosebud lips into withered petals and stood up.

‘So that’s the way it’s going to be,’ she said, ‘Very well.’

Tara smiled. She felt light-headed, but strangely sure of herself. The lamp flame was dancing wildly now, making a curious pagan shadow-show on the tunnel walls. But it was a mountain breeze that ruffled Tara’s hair, and the scent of flowers, not apples, that filled her nostrils. She looked at the tablet, still resting in Pippa’s open palm. Now the pattern on it was glowing steadily. As she watched, the circle began to pulse and the intersecting wavy lines inside it started to spin.
Pippa, who still seemed unaware of any change, turned angrily on her heel toward the door. As she did so, she snapped her hand shut over the tablet. She gasped in pain, dropping it as if it had burned her. Staggering, she clutched her arm and spun round to face Tara.

‘What have you done?’ she said.

Tara, still smiling, left her chair and swung a punch at Pippa in one swift, fluid movement. Pippa crumpled to the floor, out cold.

There’s a time for magic and a time for a good old sock on the jaw, thought Tara. Although, ow!

She massaged the knuckles on her right hand. Maybe magic next time. She picked up the tablet from where it had fallen from Pippa’s hand. There was no movement or light from it now, nor any sign of what had made Pippa throw it down. Tara tucked it carefully into her jeans.

Pippa lay perfectly still, her face was pale, but her breathing was even Tara noted, checking her over. A red welt was blossoming on the left side of Pippa’s jaw. Although Tara took no pleasure from inflicting pain, she allowed herself to enjoy the feeling of satisfaction it gave her to see her captor at a disadvantage. That’s going to be sore in the morning, she thought happily.

She rolled Pippa on her back and, hooking her arms under her shoulders; she dragged her over to the bed and pulled her up on to it. She was surprisingly heavy for a small woman. Tara felt her cheeks turning pink from the exertion as she laid her on her side and covered her as best she could. Okay, it would not stand up to any but the most casual observation, and anyway, Pippa wouldn’t be out of it for long, but it bought her some time.

The lamp stopped flickering, the breeze faded. Tara went to the neatly camouflaged door and cautiously opened it just wide enough for her to peer out. There was no sound or movement. She risked pushing it a little more, and slipped outside, closing it quietly behind her. The ground under her feet was sloping hard-packed earth, bare and dark. She looked first one way and then the other, quickly realising that she was in a much larger tunnel, and that the room she had left was merely a service alcove of sorts, probably one of many.

To her left, the tunnel wound upwards as far as she could see. That end was lit by an orange glow that came down almost as far as where she was standing. She couldn’t see its source, but she guessed that was where the action was. To her right, she could see no further than ten feet. Beyond that was obscured in darkness so complete there was no telling where the tunnel ended. She could hear music – singing? It was faint and elusive. She put her head on one side, the better to listen. After a moment she smiled and stepped into the darkness.

The tunnel sloped down in a long curve. Warm, dank air swirled up and down, eddying around the sweep of the walls. With one hand on the rough, uneven brick of the innermost wall, Tara felt her way carefully until the orange light was entirely blotted out.

‘Lux,’ she murmured. Three feet in front of her, a tiny light appeared. Shining brightly enough to show Tara where she was going, its clear white flame seemed unaffected by the air currents. It had been a long while since either she or Willow had needed powders or potions for any but the most powerful of spells – and powerful spells had been off the agenda for an equally long time.

She kept going, inclining her head from time to time, listening to the music coming from somewhere below. Now she could identify the voices of women, soft and strong, singing an ululating melody in a language without words. She walked on, her feet keeping step with the rhythmic cadences of the music. The women sang of the bleak beauty of the mountains and the sharp tang of the pine forest. They sang of loss and sadness, of hope and strength. They sang of home.

Tara’s little light had kept pace with her all the way down. Now it came to an abrupt halt and hovered at the top of a stone staircase flanked on either side by ornate handrails. She gave a little nod and it resumed its journey. With one hand on a rail, she followed it down. At the bottom, the tunnel levelled out and split into two. Unhesitatingly, she turned right. The music swelled, encouraging, leading her on. Her light took up its position in front of her and together they settled back into the rhythm of their journey.

Another staircase, another tunnel, but this time there was no fork. This tunnel was lined at regular intervals with doors of the same kind as the service bay where she had been held. Tara went almost to the end before stopping in front of one of the doors. It looked just like all the rest, but she grasped the handle firmly, turned it and stepped inside.

The room was dark. She waved her hand. Her light burned brighter. She waved again, sending it up eight feet, almost to the ceiling. It hung there, motionless, lighting the room all the way to the corners.

The singing died away to a gentle murmur. It had told its story, brought her here. Now it caressed her gently, like the warm air currents in the tunnel, soothing her.

Three battered old kitchen chairs sat around a wooden table in the centre of the floor. There was a box in the middle of the table. Tara moved closer. The box was about two feet square. It was plain black with a silver clasp and hinges and made out of some kind of hardwood.

Tara stretched out both hands to the box. Her touch was feather-light.

‘My Lady,’ she said.

Warmth flowed into her hands. Above her, the light flickered. She felt a pair of hands rest softly over hers. A woman stood on the other side of the table. She was about Tara’s age, with hair the colour of oak. She looked at Tara with the kindest of brown eyes, as if they were old friends who hadn’t met in a long while.

‘I am Sana,’ she said in a voice that was both strong and gentle, ‘Come with me.’

Tara felt the room spin around her, slowly at first, then faster and faster until the box became the still centre of a whirling vortex, anchoring her and Sana safely by their hands.

They were in California. Tara found she was watching her life like a movie being played backwards. There she was as an awkward teenager, a lonely child, and as a baby in her mother’s arms. She saw her grandmother in her youth, struggling with her gift. And so Sana took her back through the generations, to Boston, New York and eventually across the ocean.

In Ireland, her ancestors found water on dry pasture, charmed cows to increase their yield, and avoided the attentions of zealous priests.

The vortex hummed. Over a different sea, and Tara saw a young woman in a high-waisted gown, picnicking amongst the megaliths at Carnac and wondering why she could see things her companions could not. Back another hundred years to the far south of France, and this time they tied her ancestor to a stake and burnt her for healing the sick in her village.
The images paraded in front of her eyes. She followed her bloodline down the millennia, from Roman priestesses and Greek oracles, to wise-women in Dalmatia and ancient healers in Dacia.

Finally, they were in the Carpathians, and there was Sana living her life with her own people. Tara’s people. They were home. The humming became the women singing. Beautiful and melancholy, their lament bounced off the mountainsides, echoing down the valleys and dying away, leaving behind a cool breeze and the scent of alpine flowers.

Sana told her the story of the war between them and the vampires. How it was fought and how it was won. She told Tara of the plans to use her to bring back the banished ones and how they would exact their revenge on the Vinca before wreaking havoc in the world.

‘We can’t let this happen,’ said Tara, tears filling her eyes, ‘There must be a way to stop them.’

‘Yes,’ said Sana. She looked sad for a moment. ‘There is a way.’

‘Tell me,’ said Tara.

Sana showed her, in both words and pictures, the ritual that would keep the ancient evil sealed away.

‘But it will cost you dear,’ she said.

‘I know,’ said Tara.

Post subject: Re: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 21st March 2013)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:45 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Hmm, very intimidating cliffhanger there. Can't wait for the rescue now.

Interesitng making her ancestors before America "Oirish" instead o' "Scoettish."

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:15 pm 
9. Gay Now

Nice!

and now we know some more of Tara's family background, which is also neat. :)

@Daddycatalso: Maclay is an oirish name, though no reason they couldn't have gone to scotland too :)

And i liked the long line of healers and wise women, i thought it was a nice touch.
And very Tara-ish. :flower

More please? :bounce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:45 am 
8. Vixen

Hi Vivienne

You say about how the story moves further from canon the more it develops which I can accept, I just wonder which season it's deviating from, five or an alternate season 6.

I'm wondering if the pattern on the stone tablet is somehow interacting with Tara recognising her as the reincarnation of Milady Tartaria.

A big YAY to Tara for standing up against Pippa and knocking her out cold. It's good to see her time as a Scooby as served her well, at last she gets a break.

As Tara is escaping what has happened to the vampires that Pippa is supposed to be working with?

If Tara is a reincarnation of Tartaria is Sana a past life version of Willow?

Its fascinating seeing Tara's bloodline through the centuries from America to Ireland, France and so on until she is in the Carpathians. It makes me wonder if it's possible for WIllow to do the same as Giles does say she has a natural capacity for magic, perhaps one or more of her ancestors had a similar ability.

I'm guessing that the cost to Tara to keep the vampires sealed away is going to be her life.

At last Tara gets a break but what will the ultimate cost be, can't wait to see what happens next.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:53 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Yay for Tara managing to escape (at least for the time beeing because she is still in the tunnel and therefor could be captured again). Good that she got to punch Pippa in the face! Witnessing all her ancestors in the milennias, talk of sensory overload! She takes it really well though. The price, what will it be? Her life? Strong heroine and loving soul that she is I'm sure she would sacrifice her life for "the greater good"...let's just hope Willow comes to the rescue in time and none of them has to die!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:40 am 

Punching Pippa in the face...FANTASTIC! Maybe when Willow arrives Pippa will again be on the receiving end. >:) I am also a little worried that Tara will end up getting caught again, although at this point I think she has more to worry about. You have us all wondering exactly what the cost will be to Tara. Her life? Her magic? Her sanity? Willow? There is no doubt she will do whatever she has to to stop the banished ones from returning, but the real question is...will Willow be able to counter act the consequences? Or will it someone else who holds the key to Tara's survival? I guess we'll just have to wait and see and soonish I hope!

Post subject: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 26th April 2013)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:03 am 
3. Flaming O

DaddyCatALSO

Thanks for commenting, and fear not – the cavalry are coming! :applause

Azirahael

Thank you m’dear for your kind feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed the genealogy, I liked writing it. Here’s the next instalment, I hope you enjoy. :)

willowtaralover

Hi wtl! That’s a fair question, and I think the answer is that now, I really don’t know. I’ll have to leave it to you to decide. I do think, as I’ve said before, so long as you can see linkage, you remain true to the characters and keep the love, then you’re okay. ;)

The amulet is recognising Tara as the direct descendant of Sana, who is the original Lady Tartaria. It is Sana’s bones in the box on the table. It’s interesting to speculate on Willow’s ancestry. Perhaps that can be explored in another story.

Wills redemption

Thanks for the comments. Yes, definitely a sensory overload! But here we see Tara’s true strength coming to the fore. Let us hope it’s enough . . . . :eyebrow

Finey_McFine

Hi Finey!

Whack! Yes! I’m really NOT an advocate of hitting people, but if anyone deserved a solid right-hander it was that bloody Pippa! Very satisfying.

Yes, it’s going to be tense from here on in, no doubt about it. I am laying in a cupboard full of double-strength coffee to take me through the final chapters. It’s not over until it’s over . . . . :hmm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:17 am 
3. Flaming O

AUTHOR Vivienne
FEEDBACK Feel free

The Highgate Tunnels

Chapter 23

‘So, what do you really know about Charley?’ said Spike, as he and Giles clambered over a fence.

They’d parked the cars in Holmesdale Road and slipped through the cutting onto the Parkland Walk. Now, in the interests of not being seen, they were leaving the Walk for the long strip of woodland that ran beside it all the way to the Highgate Tunnels.

Giles disentangled his feet from a clump of ivy. ‘Why do you ask?’ he said.

‘Oh, all the tears last night and the pale face and the running off to the bathroom. Even for a newbie, she was over-reacting.’

‘What exactly are you implying?’ Giles stopped picking his way through the undergrowth and turned to Spike.

‘I think she knows something we don’t,’ said Spike. He lit a cigarette.

‘I really wish you wouldn’t do that,’ said Giles, ‘Someone might see the glow or smell the smoke.’

Spike waved his hand nonchalantly at the tall trees, ‘No-one here except us chickens. And I need a fag.’

Giles sighed. ‘I still don’t know what you mean about Charley. I don’t see how she could possibly know anything more about this than we do.’

‘Hey, wait for us,’ Willow’s voice came out of the murk. A moment later she appeared, accompanied by Charley and the Vincas.

‘Something wrong?’ she said, looking at Giles and Spike.

‘I was just wondering if Charley was okay,’ said Spike, ‘You know, after last night.’

‘I’m fine, thank you,’ said Charley.

‘You sure about that?’ Spike’s voice was soft, insistent.

‘We should keep moving,’ said Jones, ‘We don’t want to be discovered.’

‘Yes,’ said Shorty, looking around nervously, ‘Time is running short, the Lady Tara is in grave danger. We must go now.’

No-one moved. Spike’s eyes bored into Charley. Giles looked tense.

‘What’s going on?’ said Willow.

‘Please,’ said Shorty, ‘Whatever it is we don’t have time.’

‘He is right,’ said Jones, ‘Who knows what that witch is doing even as we speak?’

Willow’s expression changed from puzzled to angry. She tossed her hair. ‘If she does anything to Tara - anything,’ she said, ‘I’ll kill her.

Charley gasped. ‘No, oh no,’ she said, ‘Please – don’t hurt her.’

They turned to her in astonishment. Except for Spike, who hadn’t taken his eyes off her.

‘What do you know?’ he said, ‘Who is she?’

Charley took a long, shuddering breath, ‘Phillipa Jane Twistleton.’

‘Your sister,’ said Giles.

‘Your sister?’ said Willow, ‘Apple Woman is your sister?

Charley nodded sadly. A tear shone briefly in the gloom as it rolled down her cheek. Jones and Shorty, evidently shocked, said nothing. Spike let out a low whistle.

‘I think you’d better explain,’ said Giles, grimly.

‘With respect, Mr Giles,’ said Jones, finding his voice, ‘we cannot linger.’

‘We can’t trust her,’ said Spike.

Charley stood quite still. Willow looked at her for a long moment.

‘It can wait,’ she said decisively.

‘But . . . .’ Spike started to object.

‘Whatever it is, I don’t think it’s her fault.’ Willow put her arm around Charley’s shoulders. ‘Jones is right, we should go.’ She looked at Giles.

‘Alright,’ he said. ‘But,’ he looked at Charley, ‘at the first opportunity . . . .

Tara watched as Sana slowly faded from sight. The warmth left her hands, but she kept them where they were, resting gently on the box. The sound of the door opening disturbed her reverie. She looked up to the ceiling and blew gently. The little light went out.

‘How convenient,’ said Pippa. She was standing in the open doorway. Behind her, several lanterns bobbed brightly. Tara could see a large, red welt blossoming on the left side of her jaw.

‘You, the tablets, and the Lady’s bones all together at last,’ she said.

She came into the room, flanked by half a dozen vampires. Tara noticed that one of them stood out from the rest. He was tall and moved with a lazy grace. Picking up one of the chairs, he turned it around, straddling it before regarding Tara with interest badly disguised as boredom. He must be their leader, thought Tara. He looks old – and mean. So this is Pippa’s partner in crime.

Pippa took another chair, and gestured Tara toward the third.

‘I think I’ll stand,’ she said, turning around and leaning against the table with her back to the box. She folded her arms across her waist and waited.

Pippa shrugged. ‘As you wish,’ she said. ‘Allow me to introduce you. Tara Rosenberg-Maclay, meet Albert Cutter, a friend of mine. A very good friend.’

In one easy movement Cutter got up from his chair, came over to Tara and extended his hand.

‘How do you do,’ he said in a rich, gravelly voice loaded with vampiric charisma. He couldn’t know that she was long used to vampires like Spike and Angel. The only thing that stopped Tara from laughing out loud was her recognition of how dangerous he was. Of that there was no doubt. Languidly, she unfolded her arms and took his hand.

‘I wish I could say I was pleased to meet you,’ she said. Cutter said nothing. He looked intently into her eyes. Tara held his gaze.

‘You don’t have it, do you?’ he said, dropping her hand. He turned to Pippa. ‘She doesn’t have it.’

‘What?’ said Pippa, ‘But she must . . . she is the . . . how can you be so sure?

‘I assure you she doesn’t have it,’ Cutter’s voice was all ice and darkness. He looked at Tara, ‘But I’ve no doubt she knows where it is.’

‘Then make her tell you,’ said Pippa sharply, ‘We need both halves of the amulet or this will not work.’

Cutter hissed gently. The other vampires tensed. Oh, so they’re not best friends then, Tara observed. Why am I not surprised? She folded her arms again, leaning back on the table. The box was a comforting presence behind her.

‘We don’t have a lot of time,’ said Pippa, removing the edge from her tone.

Cutter inclined his head, ‘I’m aware of that, Phillipa,’ he said, ‘Don’t worry so, my dear. It won’t take but a few moments, once we get downstairs.’ He bared his teeth at Tara.

‘Shall we?’ he gestured at the door.

‘We’re here,’ Giles whispered, ‘Keep out of sight.’

They picked their way carefully through the undergrowth until they were all together in a thicket of silver birch trees. Their slim trunks gleamed in the deep shadow, bare branches creaking in a strengthening breeze.

‘How do we get in?’ said Willow.

In front of them, across a wide clearing that had once been criss-crossed with railroad tracks, was a row of tunnel entrances. Some were gated and locked, others boarded over. All were festooned with ivy in long trails that partially covered the graffiti that adorned the walls.

‘Over there,’ said Spike, pointing at a door set in one of the boarded-up entrances. It hung open.

‘No sign of life,’ said Giles.

‘Or undead-ness,’ said Willow.

‘A trap?’ said Charley, anxiously.

‘You asking us or telling us?’ said Spike. Charley threw him a hurt look.

‘Shut up Spike,’ said Willow.

‘She's her sister,’ said Spike, ‘How much more motivation do you want?’

‘Speaking of motivation,’ said Jones, ‘I must say I find yours unconvincing.’

‘And what’s that supposed to mean?’ said Spike.

‘Why wouldn’t you want those vampires back in the world? More of your kind, and more – much more – power to your kind,’ said Shorty.

Spike sighed wearily, ‘Why am I always misunderstood? God! I’ve spent lifetimes being bloody misunderstood,’ he reached in his pocket for a cigarette.

‘Not now, Spike,’ hissed Giles.

Spike removed his hand from his pocket, still empty. ‘Alright. Look I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I like this world.’ He waved the hand. ‘Manchester United - top of the league, Happy Meals - still running around. And the women? More delicious than ever.’

He looked at Charley, who sniffed disparagingly. ‘I’ve got it all sewn up,’ he went on, ‘And I don’t need some old big bads spoiling my fun.’ He thrust both hands in his pockets, ‘So please, can we just go rescue Tara, pick up the wicked sister and dust the rest before they build this effing bridge? Cos I want a fag, a shag and my bloody dinner!’

‘I suppose self-interest is the most convincing motivation of all,’ said Jones.

‘Shallow as it is,’ added Shorty.

‘Alright!’ said Giles, his patience at an end. He pushed his glasses up his nose. ‘Obviously, there can’t be anyone around, otherwise I imagine they would have heard us by now.’

Willow grinned and nudged Charley, ‘May as well have that fag, Spike – can’t help with the shag, though.’

Giles ignored them all. ‘They must be deep in the tunnels,’ he said, ‘Come on, let’s go.’

Last edited by Vivienne on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:23 am 
9. Gay Now

Dibs!

Interesting.

And spike is interesting too.

I too am curious as to what his story is.

And i'm curious as to how he fits in to all this, but the Slayer doesn't.
(Sorry if you explained it all earlier, it's been a while and things are fuzzy.

And of course, i'm hanging out for the inevitable showdown.

Heh!

Bring it on! :bounce

R :flower

Last edited by Azirahael on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 26th April 2013)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:46 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Okay, so no soul for this version of Spike? Wheels within wheels. I think internal differences amingst the bad guys will turn out to be siginificant soon.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

Post subject: Re: Re: THE HIGHGATE TUNNELS (updated 26th April 2013)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:01 pm 
8. Vixen

I'm going to assume that the story is set in an alternate season sucks, maybe after OMWF because it's at the start of the following episode 'Tabula Rasa' that Willow and Tara have their first major fight over magic. They'd argued before but that was the biggie which eventually led to Tara leaving so I'd say thats the season that's being diverted from.

Hope we get to see another story from you following Highgate with some stuff centering on Willow.

It's nice that Spike is the one that picks up on that there's something a little fishy about Charley. In a lot of the W/T stories I've read, if Spike is in it he'll always take extra care with Tara because she shows some kindness that the other's, apart from Dawn, don't give him.

So Apple Woman, or Pippa as she first called herself at the start of the story is actually Charley's sister. I must admit I thought they may be mother/daughter or related in some way, I never thought they were just friends or people working together.

Interesting reaction from Willow upon learning Charley and Apple Woman's relationship. One would have expected her to go ape-shit and be ready to swing her fists but instead she sympathises with the other woman without learning all the details beforehand.

‘How do you do,’ he said in a rich, gravelly voice loaded with vampiric charisma. He couldn’t know that she was long used to vampires like Spike and Angel.

Ooh, now there's a story in itself, how Tara met Angel. Did she go to LA on vacation to the Hyperion with Willow or was it a crisis that needed both the Scoobies and the Angel Investigations team to avert it. I can quite easily imagine Tara getting jealous over Willow and Fred's friendship.

So Pippa and Albert aren't on the best of terms with each other, methinks someone is going to meet their end at a pair of shiny fangs. I get why the vampires are doing it, a chance to open a portal and expand on their numbers but what's in it for Pippa?

Loved Spike's statement that he want's 'a fag, a shag and his dinner' and Willow's response to this. A reason that Willow is my one of my favourite characters is we see how she grows as a person so that she feels so comfortable saying what she says to Spike. The fact that she's incredibly cute as well is just a bonus :wink

Interesting chapter with quite a bit going on despite its length, I'm guessing a couple more chapters and it'll be over which is qutie sad actually. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:31 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Well no wonder Charley is so incredibly squirley. Spike called that one right. Tara did a great job escaping for a while... But I'm assuming we're coming to some sort of both magical and physical show down. Woo hoo!

I have to admit that everytime I read Phillipa I think of Bellwether by Connie Willis. I'm not sure that Phillipa and this one could be two more different characters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next