The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: An Everyday Life (Update 12/6/11)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:56 pm 
5. Willowhand

AstronSoul -
Quote:
Anya never misses a beat when it comes to serious situations, I am glad she got some info, but gees those nurses.

No she doesn't. I liked using her for this. I think it was a good balance.

Quote:
Then wow all the MaClays (being nice even!) and so glad Tara's mom is still around. Seems they like Willow which is always of the good. I like how they included Willow in the family seeing Tara.

They are definitely not the Maclays from the show. I didn't want that here at all.

Quote:
That still is rough, seeing anyone in bad shape resting in ahospital bed.

It is but I thought it was important to write it this way. It's important in the whole process for Willow and moving forward. Thanks for reading.

zampsa19752001 -
Quote:
Yay for Willow being introduced as Tara's girlfriend to Tara's parents...

I thought it would be different for her to meet them that way and for Donnie to be the one to make the reveal. Not a big deal, but important.

Quote:
I truly hope that the first thing Tara sees when she wakes up is her Willow...

I'll consider it, lol. Thanks for the feedback.

True_Love - Hey Lexi.

Quote:
I love how you wrote this chapter, maintaining the sense of seriousness throughout. Even Anya, in her own Anya way, handled the situations with the importance in which it deserved and did everything she could to be informed and keep the group together.

This was and is continuing to be very difficult to write because I'm so not used to writing with a serious tone. But this was obviously important to tell and I just hope I can keep up with it as the story progresses.

Quote:
It's so different seeing Tara's family like this, but I like it. Tara's mother treated Willow like every partner would dream of being treated in such a situation. Every time I read about one of our girls in the hospital, I am reminded how important it is to have your legal paperwork done. So, for all those out there reading this, 'Do it! Get your POA's done.' It's essential, especially in our community. *steps off soap box*

I completely agree. Been there, done that. Not fun. Luckliy a very kind nurse was extremely flexible with me. But I didn't want Tara's family to come in and try to drive a wedge between her and Willow or her friends for that matter. That's not how I see their characters. Thanks for commenting.

love_2003 -
Quote:
I've been keeping up with the updates, just been slacking on the feedback.

Well yay, welcome back! Glad you're still reading.

Quote:
It made me smile when Willow was introduced as Tara's girlfriend to her family and that the nurse (Barbra) was so nice to her. I can't say enough how happy it makes me that you wrote Tara's family as being loving and supportive.

So Tara's family is a hit. Mission accomplished. They will continue to be just as supportive as the story goes on. Thanks for reading and leaving feedback this time!

Ariel - Hey there! You always leave the most thoughtful feedback. It's almost like I'm getting a gold star or something.

Quote:
the sterile hospital but without using the cliche.

Good. I so didn't want it to be a cliche. But I still wanted it to work you know?

Quote:
By just showing Anya's face and NOT doing a doctor dialogue you delivered a MUCH more powerful statement. And the choice of Anya to get the bad news was perfect - someone almost manic and relentlessly cheerful and driven so beaten down with sadness. Very, very well done! Honestly, I am hugely impressed with how you wrote that!

Another gold star. Actually strike that. I don't like gold, so we'll make it silver. I'm glad it came across this way though because that's what I was aiming for. Something different but I wanted to keep the tenseness of the situation going and I wanted everyone to see it from the outside.

Quote:
Astie stole my quote on Anya's beautifully phrased lie - nice light moment with Anya which again, underscores her transformation when she gets the news - GREAT set-up!

It was my mini-attempt at humor to bring levity in.

Quote:
Finally, I enjoy that Willow doesn't become a tower of strength and struggles to handle all this. Having her withdraw a bit is a very normal reaction and I felt that her emotions and reactions were believable and affecting.

I didn't want her flying off the handle but obviously she's not happy with the situation. So this is where it ended up and in the end, I think it worked. Thanks for the feedback.

An Everyday Life

Post subject: Re: An Everyday Life (Update 12/6/11)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:57 pm 
5. Willowhand

Update

Title - An Everyday Life
Author name – beautiful_love a.k.a. Jessica
Rating – PG
Disclaimer - I don't own these characters.
Feedback - Yes please! I need it!
Summary- Totally AU - Tara meets Willow - the happy bumblings of falling in love - I'm not too good at this summary thing.
Notes: Special thanks to Ariel for her incredible assistance as my beta. Hope you guys are having a great week so far.

Chapter Thirty One

The sun had risen over another gorgeous day in Sunnydale as Willow sat on the back porch, swinging in the glider and sipping her second cup of coffee. She stared into the backyard, watching as the world seemed to come alive with the sunrise; the birds chirping, the trees swaying in the gentle breeze, and the morning dew quickly burning off as the sun rose higher and higher.

It had been a long night. She’d arrived home with Buffy after one to find Dawn sprawled over the couch, passed out and Cordelia lying on the floor, aimlessly flipping through the cable channels. She’d quickly shut the TV off when they entered and followed them into the kitchen, listening as Buffy recounted the events of the evening. Halfway through the story, Willow had excused herself to her room, telling her friends she was exhausted but really just wanting to be alone with her thoughts.

She’d gone through her usual routine of getting ready for bed, but made no attempt to close her eyes once she was between the sheets. Buffy had come to check on her about an hour later but quickly shut the door when she came across the redhead, her eyes closed, pretending to be asleep. She’d laid there until five when she got up, showered and got dressed, and made her way to the empty downstairs. She brewed a pot of coffee and quietly made her way outside with a steaming hot cup, sitting on the glider, her knees tucked up under her chin. She glided back and forth on the swinging seat, the springs beneath her squeaking in protest with each back and forth motion, her thoughts completely consumed with Tara. She couldn’t get the image of her beautiful, blonde girlfriend, bruised and broken in the hospital bed out of her mind.

She’d sat there for two cups of coffee and was about to grab a third when the backdoor opened, revealing a very tired and disoriented Buffy.

“Will? What are you doing out here? It’s…” She looked down at her wrist for her watch, a dismayed looking crossing her face when she realized she wasn’t wearing one. “Early,” she finished.

“Yeah, I couldn’t sleep,” Willow said, smiling a little as Buffy stumbled out of the house and stood next to her.

“You ok?” Willow just shrugged, fingering her empty mug as she stared into the yard. “You hungry?” Buffy asked, her eyes slits as she tried to get them to adjust to the bright late July sky. “I can go get ready and we can grab some breakfast.”

“Don’t you have a class to teach today?”

“Nope. I called and let them know I wouldn’t be in today. And it’s just a review day for the kids. I’m giving them a test tomorrow and Friday there’s no class, so…”

“But Buf, you signed up to teach summer school because you needed the money.”

“I know. But missing one day isn’t going to break the bank. Besides, I have more important things to do today,” she said, reaching over and patting Willow affectionately on the shoulder. “So where did we end up on the whole breakfast issue?”

“I don’t think I’d be very good company,” Willow said with a shrug.

“That’s ok. I’ll have pancakes to keep me company,” Buffy said, rubbing her grumbling stomach. Willow smiled and nodded once. “It’ll be good for you. Just give me twenty minutes ok?” Willow just nodded again.

She stared back into the yard as the door closed behind Buffy, deciding against a third cup of caffeine for now and slumped back into her seat. She pulled out her phone and sent an email to her colleagues, letting them know that she’d be out for the rest of the week due to a family emergency. She knew they'd have questions but she’d been with the company for six years by this point and this was the first time she’s taken off for personal reasons. She put her phone down and sat in silence, waiting for Buffy to return.

As promised, twenty minutes later, the blonde opened the backdoor.

“Ready?” Willow nodded and followed her out front, climbing into Buffy’s little Mazda after she’d unlocked it.

“So did you get any sleep?” Buffy asked as they made their way down Revello Drive.

“No. I just… I couldn’t get my mind to shut up,” Willow said, looking out the window at their passing neighborhood.

“Understandable,” Buffy said, trying to stifle a yawn. “Well, we can grab a bite to eat and then I just have to swing by the school really quick to drop off some study guides. Then we can head to the hospital to see Tara.” Willow gave her a small smile in response but didn’t say anything else. They drove on in silence for a few minutes, cruising down the quiet streets of downtown Sunnydale, both lost in their own thoughts.

“I think I’m going to have to take my car in to have it looked at,” Buffy said with another yawn as she turned into the parking lot of their favorite breakfast diner, the silence becoming too uncomfortable for her. “It’s driving funny. I slam on the gas and it takes way too long to get up to speed.”

“Do you know you have the parking brake on?” Willow quipped as they stopped.

“Uh huh,” Buffy said as she eyed the lever and discretely pushed it back into the console. Willow just smiled.

“I hate this place,” Buffy said as she followed Willow through the sliding glass doors and into the hospital.

“I know. I thought about that last night when I was in bed. I’m sorry. It didn’t even occur to me when we were sitting in the waiting room. Are you ok?” Willow asked, slowing her pace.

“Yeah. This is just the first time I’ve been here since mom…” She trailed off as they reached the elevators.

“I know. Me too,” Willow said, a small smile coming to her face as fond memories of Joyce flooded her brain for a moment.

“Remember the last Christmas we were all together?” Buffy asked as the elevator arrived.

“When she burned the pie?” Willow said, sharing a smile with her best friend.

“Yeah and we called it Cajun pie,” Buffy finished, unable to suppress a small giggle.

“That was fun.”

“Yeah. Well at least until Dawn threw up her eggnog all over the bathroom. You didn’t have to clean it up.” Willow just nodded thoughtfully. “Do you think she’d like Faith?” Buffy asked after a moment.

“I think she’d love Faith,” Willow said, knowing Joyce would’ve loved anyone who made her daughter smile the way the brunette did. Buffy smiled, pleased.

“Well as your honorary mom, I’m sure she’d love Tara too,” she said as the elevator stopped.

It was nine-thirty when they walked into the ICU waiting room, both girls immediately surprised to see they were the last to arrive. Carolyn and John sat in the corner, huddled together on the sofa there, talking quietly while Faith, Donnie, and Anya sat in the middle of the floor, cards spread out in front of them, engrossed in an intense game of Bullshit.

“Hey guys,” Anya said, the first to notice the newcomers.

“Hey, you guys are all here?” Willow suddenly felt awful for not arriving sooner.

“Yeah. We didn’t really feel like hanging out at Anya’s so we got here around nine,” Faith explained. “And these guys were already here.”

“Oh. Well we could’ve gotten here earlier,” Willow said.

“Oh nonsense,” Carolyn called from the corner. “You’re fine. It’s too early to see her yet anyway.”

“Has there been any updates?” Buffy asked.

“I spoke with the nurse from last night and she said Tara did very well throughout the night. She’s still not awake but she’s right where they want her to be in terms of recovery.”

Willow allowed a small smile to meet her lips, though the fact that Tara was still unconscious made her extremely uneasy.

“They said we could see her soon though,” John chimed in, his eyes never leaving the nervous redheads. Willow nodded and took the first available seat, Buffy dutifully following and taking the seat next to her.

“How was your night?” Faith asked the two a moment later.

“Long,” Willow answered as Buffy yawned. Faith smiled at each girl, taking a moment longer to stare into Buffy’s green eyes.

“Hey Will, can you take my spot?” she asked as she stood up and handed the redhead her cards. Willow just looked up at her, confused. “I just need to talk to Buffy for a minute.”

“Are you sure? I’m really not good at this game,” Willow protested as she took the cards from Faith’s hand and took the spot the brunette had just vacated.

“Yeah,” Faith nodded. “Just watch out for Anya. She’s full of it.”

“Oh hush you,” Anya said as she carefully studied the overflowing cards in her hand.

“Come on,” Faith said, reaching for Buffy’s hand and pulling her out of her seat and down the hall.

“Is everything ok?” Buffy asked after they’d walked a few yards.

“Yeah. I just… I wanted to apologize… for last night. I shouldn’t have snapped at you on the way in. I was just worried about Tara. And… well I’m just sorry.”

“Faith, it’s ok. I understand. You were upset,” Buffy said, pulling her girlfriend to her and wrapping her arms around the brunette’s waist.

“That doesn’t give me a free pass to treat you like shit, Buf,” she said, hanging her head and avoiding the tenderness in the blonde’s eyes.

“I know. But I forgive you.” Faith cracked a small smile before burying her face in her girlfriend’s neck, sighing as her whole body sagged into the blonde. “It’s going to be ok Faith. She’ll be ok.”

“I just wish she’d wake up,” Faith said, her voice muffled by Buffy’s shoulder.

“She will,” Buffy said, doing her best to sound convincing. “She’s been through a lot though. She deserves some sleep.” Faith nodded but made no attempt to move out of the safe circle of her girlfriend’s arms. Seeing they were standing in the middle of an increasingly busy hallway Buffy shuffled them back to the wall, resting her back against the solid brick there as Faith leaned heavily against her front. “Looks like Tara’s not the only one who needs a nap,” she said, softly stroking the back of the brunette’s head.

“I’m ok,” Faith mumbled. Buffy just smiled and squeezed her girl tighter to her. This is how the group found them twenty minutes later.

“Guys?” Anya called from down the hall. “They said we can see her.” Buffy nodded and smiled gratefully but made no attempt to move. Faith sighed deeply and nuzzled further into Buffy’s neck.

“I want to see her, but I’m scared,” she whispered, catching the blonde off guard. The tough talking, hard walking girl she knew was nowhere to be found. All the remained was the vulnerable girl in her arms and it broke her heart.

“I know,” she said, gently drawing circles across the Faith’s back. She turned and looked down the hall to where Willow and Anya were still standing, waiting for them. “Do you want to see her later?”

“No. No, I’m fine,” Faith answered, pulling away from the blonde and furiously rubbing her tired eyes.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah,” she said with a nod. “Come on.” She reached for the blonde’s hand and pulled her down the hallway.

“Is she ok?” Willow asked Anya as she gazed down the hall to where Buffy and Faith were disentangling themselves, watching the tenderness they displayed with envy. Tara.

“I think she’ll be ok. It’s just been a bad month for her,” Anya said with a sigh. “First her mom dying and now this.

Willow just nodded, having forgotten about the fact that Faith had recently buried her mother.

“Do you or Buffy have to work today?” Anya asked, turning to the redhead.

“No.” She shook her head. “With everything here… we both took off.”

Anya just nodded looking around the hallway as Willow turned her focus back to the door of Tara’s room, nervously tapping her feet in her tennis shoes as she waited to see the blonde.

“Where’s everyone else at?” Faith asked as she and Buffy approached.

“They already went in the room to see here. They’re in there with the doctor right now,” Anya explained.

“So when can we see her?” Buffy asked, sandwiching Faith’s hand between hers.

“After they’re done,” Anya explained. “They said it would only be a few minutes.”

“Um, Will…” Faith trailed off, scared of the answer. “How’d she look? Last night, I mean… how did Tara look?”

Willow looked down at her feet, wringing her hands anxiously in front of her as the image of Tara in the hospital bed flashed through her brain.

“Willow, are you ok?” Anya asked.

“Yeah. It’s just… it’s hard to see her in there… and not be able to talk to her, you know?”

“I’m sure she’s glad you here Willow,” Anya said, awkwardly patting the redhead on the shoulder. Willow just smiled at the blonde’s attempt to comfort her. She opened her mouth to thank the shopkeeper when Tara’s door opened, the doctor leaving the room and walking away from them.

“Guys?” Donnie said as he popped his head out of the room and motioned for them to enter.

Willow entered the chilly room first, immediately struck by the fact that Tara looked worse now than she had the night before.

Except for the rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor, the room was absolutely silent as the girls moved to one side of the bed, the Maclays on the other, all trying to avoid bumping any of the machines that Tara was hooked to. They all stared at her pale and drawn face, willing her to open her eyes and tell them all that it would be ok.

“The doctor said she did very well last night and so far this morning, everything’s showing improvement. They just want to keep her here for a little longer for observation,” John said with a sigh, his eyes tired as he stared down at Tara.

“Do they know when she’ll wake up?” Faith asked quietly from her spot at the foot of the bed.

“No. At least, they’re not sure. They said it could me a few hours or a few days,” John said.

A few days! Willow felt her stomach lurch at the thought of Tara lying there, unresponsive for days.

“But in the meantime they said we’re all more than welcome to sit with her and visit,” John finished, reaching out and gently running his fingers through a few strands of his daughter’s hair.

“Well um, should we take turns? Sitting with her I mean?” Donnie said, looking around the group. “I mean, we can’t all fit in here but…” He trailed off as he looking around the room, anxiously trying to find some way to be helpful.

“That’s probably a good idea,” Anya said when everyone else stayed silent. “Do you guys want to take the first shift?” she asked, staring at Tara’s family.

“Well actually, we have some phone calls to make,” Carolyn said. “You know, the rest of the family wants an update. So why don’t you girls keep her company for a while.” She smiled at each girl before taking her husband’s hand and leading him out of the room. Donnie was only a few steps behind, the door closing after him with a soft click.

Willow looked up and watched as Anya walked to the far corner of the room, taking the empty chair there, her face unreadable. Faith moved to the chair in the other corner, near Tara’s head, pulling Buffy along with her, both of them watching Tara the whole time. Willow turned back to her girl, slowly reaching for the blonde’s uninjured left hand, gently rubbing her thumb across Tara’s fingertips, careful to avoid the IV in the back of her hand. She looked down, studying the planes on her lover’s face, the normally smooth surface completely disturbed by the accident. You’re still beautiful, baby.

“Hey Will, do you want a chair?” Buffy asked from her spot perched on Faith’s lap.

“You can have mine,” Anya said from the corner, standing and pushing her chair towards the redhead before she could object, her expression still unreadable.

“You ok Ahn?” Faith asked, noticing the blonde’s unusual behavior.

“Yeah, fine. I’m just going to go get some coffee. Does anyone want anything?” she asked, her face now a mask of distress as she looked around the room.

“Um, I could probably go for a cup,” Buffy said as Willow and Faith shook their heads. “Do you want me to come with?”

“Suit yourself,” Anya said as she quickly walked out of the room.

“Oh-kay. Um, will you two be alright?” Buffy asked as she stood and moved towards the door.

“Yeah, go ahead,” Faith said as Willow nodded and turned back to Tara. “That was weird,” the brunette said as the door closed behind Buffy.

“Yeah. Does Anya not like hospitals or something?” Willow asked.

“I don’t think she has a problem with them. Not much really fazes her.” Willow just nodded. “I don’t know what’s bugging her though. She seemed fine this morning.” They lapsed into silence again, both looking at the blonde in the bed, unsure of what to do.

Willow continued her gentle touches along the blonde’s fingers, her eyes slowly combing over Tara’s face as she tried to remember every little detail there. Of course it wasn’t like this was the first time she’d tried to memorize the blonde’s features. She’d find herself doing it every time they were together when Tara wasn’t watching. And every time, she’d find something new; A freckle, a mark, a bump that she never saw before. And each new discovery made her girl more unique, more beautiful.

“So…” Faith pulled her attention away. She looked up and noticed a small, knowing smile playing at the corner of the brunette’s lips.

“What?”

“Nothing. Just… I’m glad you’re here for her.”

“There’s nowhere else I’d rather be,” Willow said softly, glancing back at the blonde.

“She really cares about you Will. I hope you know that.”

“I care about her too.”

“I know…” Faith trailed off once again, seeming to gather her thoughts. “Not to air your business, but how did things turn out with your parents?”

Willow stiffened for a moment, thinking about them and remembering her horrid treatment of Tara when Sheila and Ira had shown up on Buffy’s porch only a few days before. That was three days ago, though it seemed like much longer. Her brain conjured up the memory of Tara, standing completely still, tears welling in her eyes, her face crushed as Willow had pulled away and left her there with no explanation. She knew how much she’d hurt the blonde at that moment and yet, she couldn’t stop herself. She’d gotten in her car and drove away without another glance; a cold, callous maneuver to get away before she had to open up to Tara about what was really going on in her life.

“Will, it’s none of my business,” Faith continued, leaning forward in her chair, her forearms resting on the bed beside Tara. “Everyone’s got issues, big or small, and I’m not trying to tell you what to do. But you should give her a chance,” she said, nodding towards the blonde. “I don’t know how much Buffy told you but I didn’t exactly grow up Pleasantville.” Willow looked up, finally meeting the brunette’s gaze. “In fact, I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. It was hard and when I met Tara, I had no intention of letting her know the cold, hard facts of my life. I’d moved on and I wanted to leave my past exactly where it was. But it didn’t work out that way. And when my past came knocking, I couldn’t have picked a better friend to have by my side.” Faith turned her eyes to her best friend and smiled. “She was amazing. She stood by me and gave me the support I didn’t know I needed. And she never looked down on me or made me feel like I deserved what I got. She never made me feel like I was a bad person because I’d come from bad people. She made me a part of her family without a second thought.” Willow continued to stare at Faith, her heart beating faster at the kind words coming from the brunette. “Like I said, she’s amazing.”

“I know,” Willow said quietly, looking back at her girl, her resolve growing even more to tell Tara everything when the blonde woke up.

“Good.” Faith leaned back in her chair, stretching for a moment and then stood up. “I actually think I’m going to go for that coffee. You want anything?”

“I've got everything I need right here. Thanks though,” Willow said, smiling at the brunette as she walked out of the room. She turned back to Tara and leaned in a little closer. “She’s smart, that one,” she said, hoping the blonde could hear her. “You picked a pretty good best friend. And she’s right. I do need to give you a chance. And I will, I promise. Just as soon as you’re out of this bed, I’ll tell you everything.” She reached up and gently stroked Tara’s cheek, careful to not hurt the girl anymore. “And you are, you know? Amazing, that is. And I’ll make sure to remind you of that every day from now on. Because I never want to be without you again. I’m yours and nothing is going to change that.”

An Everyday Life

Post subject: Re: An Everyday Life (Update 12/13/11)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:36 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 3
Dibs! :whip

Hey Jess,

I know you said you have a hard time with the serious tone of these updates, but I think you are doing a magnificent job. You are capturing details perfectly, showing rather than telling the emotions of those around Tara, and generally making a very difficult situation beautiful to read.

Of course Ariel posted feedback before I came back to post, so whatever I say here will be redundant and pale in comprison -- damn you Julie. *shakes fist* Between her thoughtfully detailed comments and our (yours and mine) similar thinking, I'm seriously going to have to starting beating you two to feedback from now on, otherwise I might as well just start typing 'ditto' after each post, lol.

Great job! Can't wait for Tara to wake-up.

Remodeling: The Reconstruction of Tara Maclay / W/T Potpourri

Last edited by True_Love on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:50 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Hey Jessica,

Like how you set up Willow swinging on the glider and then this:
Quote:
She’d sat there for two cups of coffee and was about to grab a third when the backdoor opened, revealing a very tired and disoriented Buffy.

“Will? What are you doing out here? It’s…” She looked down at her wrist for her watch, a dismayed looking crossing her face when she realized she wasn’t wearing one. “Early,” she finished.
Your ear for dialogue is great – everything sounds real and you nail the girls’ speech.

I like the way you handle Willow’s fear and hurt, not by the characteristic babbling, but by silence, withdrawal, her inability to sleep. That choice underscores her feelings more powerfully.

And another Buffy-Willow moment:
Quote:
“Do you know you have the parking brake on?” Willow quipped as they stopped.

“Uh huh,” Buffy said as she eyed the lever and discretely pushed it back into the console. Willow just smiled.
:laugh Not your over the top, but the humor of day to day life.

Quote:
“I want to see her, but I’m scared,” she whispered, catching the blonde off guard. The tough talking, hard walking girl she knew was nowhere to be found. All the remained was the vulnerable girl in her arms and it broke her heart.

“I know,” she said, gently drawing circles across the Faith’s back. She turned and looked down the hall to where Willow and Anya were still standing, waiting for them. “Do you want to see her later?”

“No. No, I’m fine,” Faith answered, pulling away from the blonde and furiously rubbing her tired eyes.
The scene with Buffy and Faith was very effective, very touching. First, Faith’s apology and Buffy’s generous forgiveness, then the simple line that they were found (Buffy holding Faith) 20 minutes later. That long to stand and comfort someone, that is very, very sweet. :heart :flower :love

Quote:
“But in the meantime they said we’re all more than welcome to sit with her and visit,” John finished, reaching out and gently running his fingers through a few strands of his daughter’s hair.
Like the two tender passages with Tara’s dad. You express his love visually – I can see him standing there and it works so well.

Honestly, I got teary over this:
Quote:
She looked down, studying the planes on her lover’s face, the normally smooth surface completely disturbed by the accident. You’re still beautiful, baby.
When you love someone, their face is still so dear, so precious . . . lovely.

Quote:
Willow continued her gentle touches along the blonde’s fingers, her eyes slowly combing over Tara’s face as she tried to remember every little detail there. Of course it wasn’t like this was the first time she’d tried to memorize the blonde’s features. She’d find herself doing it every time they were together when Tara wasn’t watching. And every time, she’d find something new; A freckle, a mark, a bump that she never saw before. And each new discovery made her girl more unique, more beautiful.
You capture being in love with such detail, such tenderness – so true.

The ending, a very poignant declaration. :flower

Thank you.

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 am 
9. Gay Now

Yay for great update-y goodness... Willow's insomnia really shows her feelings for Tara... I loved the moment between Buffy & Faith... I absolutely loved Willow's declarations in the end... I truly hope Tara somehow hears that and wakes up and the first thing she sees is Willow's beautiful green eyes...

Posting while nude improves your mood...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 am 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
Hi Jess!

I just want to say what a great you are doing with these difficult chapters. I've been in Willow's position before and it's horrible. So, kudos to you! The waiting is so hard and with the guilt Willow is carrying, it only makes things harder for her. At least Tara will eventually wake up and be ok. I just hope she doesn't end up with amnesia or you'll have to change the name of the fix to "As The Everyday Life Turns." lol

Anyway, great job & looking forward to next week!

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:01 pm 
8. Vixen

Jessica,

I really enjoy this story, and can't wait to read how this plays out.

I think it was great that Tara's mom included Willow as family pretty much right away. Acceptance means so much.

So will anything happen to the jackass that did this?

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:50 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Wow. I feel like this took such a serious turn or more serious turn but I also know it will be ok. I feel like the folks gathered around this whole group are such a tight and loving family. It is wonderful to read. I look forward to more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:13 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Hopefully Tara is able to hear what Willow is saying to her. I have no doubt that Tara will be outta that hospital bed in no time, she has such a loving family, great group of friends and a loving girlfriend to wake up too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:01 am 
5. Willowhand

True_Love – Hey Lexi. Look at you, all getting your dibs in.

Quote:
I know you said you have a hard time with the serious tone of these updates, but I think you are doing a magnificent job. You are capturing details perfectly, showing rather than telling the emotions of those around Tara, and generally making a very difficult situation beautiful to read.

Thanks, that means a lot. I’m not the most serious of girls, if you haven’t gathered that by now but I’m glad I’m doing these scenes justice.

Quote:
Of course Ariel posted feedback before I came back to post, so whatever I say here will be redundant and pale in comprison -- damn you Julie. *shakes fist* Between her thoughtfully detailed comments and our (yours and mine) similar thinking, I'm seriously going to have to starting beating you two to feedback from now on, otherwise I might as well just start typing 'ditto' after each post, lol.

I’m sure she’ll take that challenge. :laugh Thanks for reading

Ariel – Hey Julie!

Quote:
Your ear for dialogue is great – everything sounds real and you nail the girls’ speech.

Thank you. It’s something that I really like to write. Obviously there’s a story to tell beyond the dialogue but the way I see it, we’re talking when we’re telling someone else a story so why can’t my characters do the same?

Quote:
I like the way you handle Willow’s fear and hurt, not by the characteristic babbling, but by silence, withdrawal, her inability to sleep. That choice underscores her feelings more powerfully.

I honestly thought of doing that way and even started writing it out but then I stepped back and decided to go in this direction, and I’m glad I did.

Nice to know you found all the scenes between the characters as believable and in the moment of the situation (Buffy and Faith and then Tara and her dad). Thanks again for the feedback.

zampsa19752001 -
Quote:
I loved the moment between Buffy & Faith...

Good because I didn’t want that to tear you guys away from the story. Yes this is about Willow and Tara but it was important to me to show just how much of an effect something like this can have on a good friend.

Quote:
I absolutely loved Willow's declarations in the end...

She may not have declared it directly to Tara yet but we’re getting there. As always, thanks for reading.

Finey_McFine – Hey Shelby.

Quote:
I just want to say what a great you are doing with these difficult chapters. I've been in Willow's position before and it's horrible. So, kudos to you!

Again, thanks for the kind words. It’s not the easiest to write but I’m glad it’s coming through the way I want and not overstated or understated.

Quote:
The waiting is so hard and with the guilt Willow is carrying, it only makes things harder for her. At least Tara will eventually wake up and be ok. I just hope she doesn't end up with amnesia or you'll have to change the name of the fix to "As The Everyday Life Turns." Lol

Ooh, does that mean I’ll get my own theme song? Tempting…

vampyregurl79 – Hi Heather. I swear if it kills me, I’m going to finally get caught up on your story so I can leave some proper feedback.

Quote:
I think it was great that Tara's mom included Willow as family pretty much right away. Acceptance means so much.

That was something that I was toying with but I’m glad I went in the direction I did.

Quote:
So will anything happen to the jackass that did this?

That will definitely be addressed but not in this update. Sorry. Thanks for reading.

JustSkipIt -
Quote:
I feel like this took such a serious turn or more serious turn but I also know it will be ok.

It did, I know. I thought you guys might like a slap in the face better than a slow winding, downward crawl into crap. So far it seems to have worked out though, lol.

Quote:
I feel like the folks gathered around this whole group are such a tight and loving family. It is wonderful to read.

I felt Tara deserved. Thanks for commenting.

love_2003 – You’re back again! Yay!

Quote:
I have no doubt that Tara will be outta that hospital bed in no time, she has such a loving family, great group of friends and a loving girlfriend to wake up too.

Absolutely. With these guys around, she’ll probably be begging for five minutes of alone time before this is all over. Lol. Thanks for reading.

An Everyday Life

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:01 am 
5. Willowhand

Update

Title - An Everyday Life
Rating – PG
Summary- Totally AU - Tara meets Willow - the happy bumblings of falling in love - I'm not too good at this summary thing.
Notes: Special thanks to Ariel for her incredible assistance as my beta. Holy crap, it’s a Christmas miracle! I thought there was no way I’d get this up this week but thanks to my furry puppy children refusing to let me sleep, you’ve been given the gift of an update. I also just realized that this fic celebrated it's 1st birthday last weekend. Just wanted to give it a Happy Birthday. Hope everyone enjoys and happy holidays and all that jazz.

Chapter Thirty Two

“Aristotle was a tutor of this world conqueror.”

“Who is Alexander the Great,” Willow said quietly before taking a sip of the triple chocolate mocha she’d brought back with her from her dinner with Buffy. The blonde had dragged her away from Tara’s bedside around four-thirty that afternoon, managing to keep the red head away for a full hour and a half before Willow threatened to walk back to the hospital if Buffy didn’t drive her back immediately. The blonde agreed but left Willow in the parking lot and sped home to get ready for a dinner date with Cordelia that Faith was forcing her to go on.

Willow sat in the waiting room for an hour while Tara’s parents sat with her, finally taking over Tara watch when the Maclays left for the evening around seven. Faith and Donnie had stepped out for a bite to eat around the same time so she was left alone with her girlfriend. Anya hadn’t returned to the hospital since the previous morning. Buffy had told Willow that Anya had sat with her through a quick cup of coffee in the hospital cafeteria but then left without a word before Faith could join them. The whole time they’d sat there, near one of the windows on the east side of the building, Buffy had tried to talk to Anya about the weather, her shop, anything. But she couldn’t manage to get more than a two word answer out of her the entire time. Willow had asked Faith about it but the brunette didn’t have any answers about Anya’s unusual behavior.

Willow leaned back further in her chair, her hand comfortably wrapped around Tara’s as she started at the television mounted on the far wall. Normally she wasn’t a Jeopardy fan but she needed something to focus on.

“King Darius the Great of this empire sent an army into Greece in 490 B.C., but it was defeated at Marathon.”

“What is the Persian Empire,” she answered again as the returning champion gave the wrong response.

“Have I mentioned how incredibly sexy your mind is?” Tara’s voice cracked to her right. Surprised, Willow turned to the blonde, her eyes wide as she saw Tara staring back at her, her eyes half open, a small half smile on her chapped lips.

“Tara? Oh my God, you’re awake!” Willow reached for the call button attached to Tara’s bed, pressing it repeatedly as she kneeled in her chair, squeezing Tara’s hand as her heart sped up at the sight of the beautiful blue eyes she’d been missing for days. “Are you ok? What do you need? How do you feel?”

“Amazing,” Tara joked as she closed her eyes to the bright lights of the room and tried, unsuccessfully to shift in her bed to a more comfortable position. Willow watched as she cringed in pain and felt her heart ache at the sight.

“What h-happened?” Tara asked as she finally opened her eyes, blinking several times as they adjusted.

“Baby, lie still for just a minute ok? The nurse is coming.” She watched as Tara licked her dry lips and reached for a nearby glass of ice water that Carolyn had left in the room when she and John had gone home. “You want something to drink?” Tara just nodded and allowed Willow to help her sit up, taking a small sip from the clear plastic cup. “Better?” she asked and the blonde nodded.

“Well what do we have here?” Barbara said gently as she entered the room with a tender smile. “Hello Tara.”

“She’s awake!” Willow said frantically.

“Well yes Willow, I see that,” Barbara said, chuckling as she looked over the readings on a few of the machines the blonde was attached to, making notes as she went. “How are you feeling today Tara?”

“O-Ok I guess. Wh-What’s going on?”

“Well I’ve paged the doctor and he’ll be arriving soon to go over everything,” she said kindly before turning to the redhead. “Willow, I wonder if you wouldn’t mind waiting in the hall, just for a few minutes.”

Willow looked down at Tara, worried when she the blonde’s eyes fill with fear and felt her squeezing her hand tighter.

“Um…”

“I promise it will only be for a minute. I’ll take good care of her,” Barbara said as she looked back and forth between the two girls.

“Tara? Will you be ok?” Willow asked as she looked down at the blonde.

“Yeah. Just… c-can you come right back?” she asked, her eyes pleading.

“I’ll be right outside waiting, ok?” Tara nodded slightly. Willow leaned down and gently pressed her lips against the blonde’s knuckles, leaving a soft kiss there before catching the blue eyes she adored once more. “I’m right outside.” She smiled at Barbara as she left the room, the door softly clicking closed behind her. She leaned heavily against the wall on the opposite side of the corridor, staring at the closed door, the toes of her sneakers tapping impatiently against the hard beige tile beneath her. It was only seconds later that Tara’s doctor appeared, throwing a kind smile her way as he pushed open Tara’s door and entered the room. Looking up and down the hall she noticed it was completely empty. She couldn’t even hear anyone talking down at the nurses’ station. The silence was unsettling as she noticed her ears echoing the sound of her own heartbeat. She ran her hand across her chest, feeling it thump there beneath her fingertips and felt the ache to be near Tara increase tenfold.

Come on! Come on! she thought as she pulled at the hem of her t-shirt, picking at the stitching on the inside. She pushed off the wall and paced three steps back and forth down the hallway, her gaze landing on Tara’s door with every turn. Damn it! What the hell’s taking so long? He should be done by now. Unless… oh God, unless something’s wrong! Oh, please, please don’t let anything be wrong! But she seemed fine when she woke up. She was adorable as ever. No! No, something can’t be wrong. She’s fine! she thought, nodding as her resolve face planted itself firmly in place. She’s better than fine, she’s great. She’s fantastic. Well, not necessarily fantastic. I mean she just woke up in a hospital because some asshole doesn’t know how to drive. Jerk! But she’s fine and everything- Her thoughts were cut off as the door to Tara’s room opened and the doctor exited with the blonde’s file in hand, followed by Barbara.

“Is she ok? Is everything ok?” she blurted out as she stepped towards the nurse.

“Everything’s fine,” Barbara said with a smile. “Her vitals all look great and there doesn’t seem to be any significant damage to her brain.”

“Significant damage?” Willow asked nervously.

“Well she knows who she is, what year it is, who’s president,” Barbara said encouragingly. “She is experiencing some minor memory loss though.”

“What do you mean?”

“She didn’t know why she was here. She doesn’t remember the accident.”

“What does that mean?” The panic in Willow’s voice was unmistakable as it echoed up and down the corridor.

“It’s very common Willow. She hit her head pretty hard in the accident, so we’re lucky she’s doing as well as she is. But this type of memory loss is not unusual in this situation. Sometimes the memory comes back and sometimes it doesn’t. But she’s fine Willow. Trust me, I haven’t led you astray so far have I?” Willow shook her head and looked towards Tara’s room. “Go on, she’s waiting for you. I’m going to go call her parents and let them know she’s awake.”

Without another word Willow barreled into the room. She looked to the bed, her eyes immediately meeting Tara’s frightened ones and felt a small wave of relief wash over her seeing the blonde still awake.

“Hey, you ok?” she asked as she stepped to the bed, staring down at her girl as Tara settled back into the bed. She shrugged with her good shoulder and reached for the redhead’s hand, her palm clammy and shaking with worry and Willow squeezed it. “Tare, what is it?” Willow asked as she pulled the nearby chair to the side of the bed and kneeled on it. “Did the doctor say something?”

“He told me what happened,” Tara said, her fearful eyes never leaving Willow’s.

“‘What happened?’ You mean the accident?” Tara nodded. “So you really don’t remember anything at all about it?” She shook her head. “What’s the last thing you remember?”

“Getting ready to leave work.” Tara looked down at her legs, her brow furrowed in concentration as she thought back to the afternoon of the accident. “I w-was running a little behind because I got sucked into a meeting but I was trying to rush out of there b-because I didn’t want to keep you waiting. I got in the elevator and that’s it. Th-That’s the last thing I remember.” There were tears in the blonde’s eyes as she tried unsuccessfully to recollect anything beyond that.

“Tare, it’s ok,” Willow said, gently brushing her fingers along the blonde’s jawline. “You hit your head so it’s understandable that you don’t remember. Barbara said it might come back to you eventually.”

“Wh-What happened? The d-doctor told me I got rear-ended but he didn’t have too many details about the accident. Where did it even h-happen?”

“On the corner of St. Charles and Connor. You were stopped at the light there and some idiot hit you doing forty! He was texting and not paying attention to anything. Slammed you into the car in front of you. The ambulance rushed you here and they took you right into surgery.”

“Oh my God. Wh-What about the other drivers?”

“Tara! You’ve been comatose for three days now. You’ve been ran through the wringer with all the poking a prodding they’ve done. And you’re worried about the other drivers?” Willow was amazed and slightly amused when Tara just shrugged again with her left shoulder and nodded, her brow still furrowed with worry. “They’re both fine,” Willow answered with a small giggle. “The guy in the car in front of you needed a few stitches and I think he had a concussion but he was actually the one that stayed with you until the paramedics arrived. He even tried to ride in the ambulance with you but they wouldn’t let him. Your dad said he stopped by this morning to ask about you. Brought you some flowers,” Willow said, pointing to one of the bouquets that littered the room.

“My dad’s here?”

“Yeah. Well not here here. He and your mom just went back to their hotel for the night. The nurse is calling them now to let them know you’re awake.”

“So you met my parents?” Tara’s eyes widened in surprise.

“Well yeah, kind of. I mean yeah. Is that bad? Did you not want me to meet them?” Willow asked nervously.

“No! I mean, no, its fine that you met them. I’m just a little surprised that’s all. I didn’t picture this being the way you met my family. I was kind of hoping to introduce you as my amazing girlfriend over an awkward and most likely extremely nerve-wracking dinner or something,” she said with a meek smile.

“Well I’m not sure which way I’d prefer. Uncomfortable dinner or daughter in the hospital,” Willow said as she pretended to way the options. “Probably would’ve preferred a meal.”

“Well I’m glad you met them. I’m glad you’re here.” Willow smiled down at her and leaned forward a little, still being very conscious of Tara’s frailty but unable to stay away.

“Me too. And I’m so glad you’re ok.” Willow leaned in and left a soft kiss on the blonde’s forehead, near her stitches. She leaned back, her face only inches away from Tara’s, her eyes full of tenderness as she stared at her girlfriend.

They stayed that way for a long moment, neither noticing that Faith and Donnie had returned and were standing just outside the door, watching the exchange.

“I totally feel like an intruder right now,” Donnie whispered as he watched his little sister glow in the presence of her girlfriend.

“Yeah, me too. But I don’t want to leave, you know. I want to talk to her,” Faith admitted, glancing over at Donnie. “Just to know that she’s ok.”

“I’m fine,” the blonde said from inside the room. Faith and Donnie both turned their gaze back into the room, shrugging sheepishly when they were met by a smiling Willow and Tara.

“We didn’t want to interrupt,” Faith said, stepping into the room behind Donnie who made a beeline for the opposite side of the bed. Leaning down he pressed a soft kiss onto his little sister’s bruised cheek.

“You ok?” he asked, unable to keep the smile off his face. Tara just nodded. “Good,” he said kissing her cheek once more.

“Hey, that’s itchy,” she protested as she felt his beard scratch her face. “What? Are you trying to channel Grizzly Adams now?”

“Oh, sorry,” he said, scratching at the scruff on his cheeks. “I haven’t really thought about shaving for the last few days.”

“Well you’ve been conveniently reminded,” Tara said with a tired smile.

“How’re you feeling Tare?” Faith asked, smiling at the interaction between the siblings.

“Ok. Just a little tired,” she said with a yawn. “What are you doing here Faith?”

“We’ve all been her the last few days waiting for your lazy ass to wake up,” the brunette answered with a smile as she leaned forward to give her best friend and awkward hug.

“Sorry to have kept you,” Tara yawned again.

“Are you tired of us already?” Faith joked, a tender smile flickering on her lips.

“Tired of you and Willow? No. But Bob Ross over here can take a hike,” she said with a smile at Donnie.

“Ok, ok,” he said, throwing his hands up in surrender. “I’ll shave before you see me tomorrow.”

“Good. Carly would be appalled if she saw you this hairy,” Tara said.

“Are they always like this?” Willow asked Faith as she watched the sibling exchange.

“Yep, pretty much,” Faith said with a smile. “They’re both a pain in the ass.”

“Hey!” Both Tara and Donnie protested at the same time but Faith just laughed and placed a comforting hand on Tara’s knee in front of her.

“Go to sleep,” she said with a gentle squeeze.

“Yeah, get some rest,” Donnie said with a smile. “We’ll be back tomorrow morning.” Tara smiled and nodded as he and Faith stepped towards the door.

“Will you be ok?” Willow asked, her face etched with concern at the prospect of leaving her girlfriend.

“Yeah. Sorry I’m not very good company right now,” she answered, her eyes already half closed.

“No, it’s fine. Rest. I’ll be back tomorrow,” Willow said, gently squeezing the blonde’s hand and leaving one more kiss on her forehead.

“You promise?” Tara asked as her eyes fluttered closed.

“Cross my heart,” she said with a smile. She stepped towards the door and turned off the overhead light to give Tara a more restful sleep, listening as Faith and Donnie teased each other good naturedly as they headed down the hall, completely oblivious to the fact that she wasn’t behind them. Turning back once more she took in the sight of her girlfriend already nodding off peacefully. She stood in the doorway, watching Tara’s chest rise and fall against the sheet, her casted arm lying in the sling over her stomach. She’d been staring at this same sight for three days now but this time, it looked different. This time, she knew for sure that Tara would wake up again and everything would be ok. It was the first time in days that she felt her heart return to its normal pace, no longer worried about the ‘what if’s’ but just focusing on the here and now. And right now, she couldn’t have been happier that her girl was ok.

“Good night Tare,” she whispered into the dimly lit room, sighing happily as she watched Tara sleep.

An Everyday Life

Post subject: Re: An Everyday Life (Update 12/24/11)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:37 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dibs

Yea! I'm glad Tara's OK. Now she just need to go home so Willow can make with the pampering. :)

"Not everyone wants to graduate high school at age 16 and college at age 19 and have our first IPO by age 20. Some of us want to waste precious minutes, hours, days, and weeks rotting in front of the TV." - Survivor Ash Island By JustSkipIt

Buffy: Hi. Willow right?
Willow: Why? I mean hi. Did you want me to move?
First sign of adorable Willow "Welcome to the Hellmouth"

Last edited by BuffyFan4ever on Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:17 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dang! No dibs this time. I was awake too! Woo hoo for Christmas Eve update!

Hey Jess!

Yay, Tara's awake! I love the opening. It can be so mind numbing waiting in hospitals. It was great how you showed Willow absentmindedly filling her time. And then Tara's response, was awesome. She immediately thought about how attracted she was to Willow instead of her own condition. That was great.

I am very curious to find out what's going on with Anya. There has to be some history there that you are going to share in the future. Some kinda of past tragedy or something on link to this event. Maybe Anya texts and drives or something. I don't what it is, but I definately can't wait to find out.

I like the joking between Faith, Tara, and Donnie. It shows the history of friendship and love between them in the playful way they communicate with one another. Actually, that reminds me, I really liked the little sidebar comments between Donnie and Faith while they were watching Tara and Willow. I've been in that situation before, where you're just standing there thinking, 'I really don't think I need to be seeing this right now'. That was a nice little touch.

Great work! Looking forward to more!

Last edited by True_Love on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:45 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Hi Jessica! :bigwave

Another update - YAY!!! :pinky :party :pinky

Quote:
“Aristotle was a tutor of this world conqueror.”

“Who is Alexander the Great,” Willow said quietly before taking a sip of the triple chocolate mocha she’d brought back with her from her dinner with Buffy. The blonde had dragged her away from Tara’s bedside around four-thirty that afternoon, managing to keep the red head away for a full hour and a half before Willow threatened to walk back to the hospital if Buffy didn’t drive her back immediately.
So a fun opening, original then you show in an understated way that Willow is upset and is totally there for Tara. Like how it's subtle and gently humorous instead of melodramatic. Just lovely.

Quote:
Willow looked down at Tara, worried when she the blonde’s eyes fill with fear and felt her squeezing her hand tighter.

“Um…”

“I promise it will only be for a minute. I’ll take good care of her,” Barbara said as she looked back and forth between the two girls.

“Tara? Will you be ok?” Willow asked as she looked down at the blonde.

“Yeah. Just… c-can you come right back?” she asked, her eyes pleading.
Definite tug on my heartstrings; love how Tara trusts her and needs her and how caring Willow is. They have crossed a major barrier in the way of their relationship.

Quote:
She leaned heavily against the wall on the opposite side of the corridor, staring at the closed door, the toes of her sneakers tapping impatiently against the hard beige tile beneath her. It was only seconds later that Tara’s doctor appeared, throwing a kind smile her way as he pushed open Tara’s door and entered the room. Looking up and down the hall she noticed it was completely empty. She couldn’t even hear anyone talking down at the nurses’ station. The silence was unsettling as she noticed her ears echoing the sound of her own heartbeat. She ran her hand across her chest, feeling it thump there beneath her fingertips and felt the ache to be near Tara increase tenfold.
Again, you nail the real bond between them, the strength and tenderness. Very touching.

Love the mystery of Anya . . . eager for more! :bounce

Also loved the humor between Donnie, Faith, and Tara. You showed Faith's real love for her friend but underplayed it and that fits for Faith's character.

Quote:
“You promise?” Tara asked as her eyes fluttered closed.

“Cross my heart,” she said with a smile. She stepped towards the door and turned off the overhead light to give Tara a more restful sleep, listening as Faith and Donnie teased each other good naturedly as they headed down the hall, completely oblivious to the fact that she wasn’t behind them. Turning back once more she took in the sight of her girlfriend already nodding off peacefully. She stood in the doorway, watching Tara’s chest rise and fall against the sheet, her casted arm lying in the sling over her stomach. She’d been staring at this same sight for three days now but this time, it looked different. This time, she knew for sure that Tara would wake up again and everything would be ok. It was the first time in days that she felt her heart return to its normal pace, no longer worried about the ‘what if’s’ but just focusing on the here and now. And right now, she couldn’t have been happier that her girl was ok.

“Good night Tare,” she whispered into the dimly lit room, sighing happily as she watched Tara sleep.
So tender, Jess. You call this story "An Everyday Life" and that's what you do - make beauty and humor, pain and joy out of these pieces of regular life. *sighs happily*

Thank you so much for this wonderful story. :flower :love :flower

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:32 pm 
9. Gay Now

Yay for great update-y goodness... Big yay for Tara waking up... Can't wait for Willow taking her home and start to nurse her back to health... I truly hope that Tara's memory loss doesn't include some important Willow-Tara relationship stuff...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:19 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
Hi Jess!

Yay Tara's awake...it's a Christmas miracle! lol

I loved Willow sitting mindlessly playing along with Jeopardy and simultaneously holding Tara's hand...I could picture the entire scene. Tara waking up and not wanting Willow to leave was very touching. You can feel the love between them. Now all we need is for Tara to recover enough so they can talk and actually say it to each other.

Thanks for the lovely Christmas update and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :balloons

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:28 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Thank goodness for Xmas time miracles. I'm so happy Tara is awake. I really liked the part when Tara realized that Willow had met the Family. The situation was not ideal. But, they seemed to have taken to Willow like a fish to water and have accepted the relationship right away. I hate the drama that Ira and the Shelia-monster are causing. But, it's refreshing to see that Tara is the one who has the supportive family instead of the one who constantly has to deal with dysfunction. Maybe the Maclay clan can embrace Willow and give her the Family that she's never had.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:27 pm 
5. Willowhand

Yay! She's awake :) I hope she will continue to stay okay. I quite enjoy your Faith, have I mentioned that? I don't think so, I'm actually not sure if I've ever commented, but I've been reading the best I could. I'm enjoying this :) Can't wait for more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:47 pm 
5. Willowhand

BuffyFan4ever – Yay for your dibs!

Quote:
Yea! I'm glad Tara's OK. Now she just need to go home so Willow can make with the pampering. :)

Willow will be there for lots of TLC when Tara gets home. That’s a given. Thanks for reading.

True_Love – Hey Lexi!

Yes Tara’s awake and reunited with Willow. Yay!

Quote:
I am very curious to find out what's going on with Anya.

Explanation coming up…

Quote:
I like the joking between Faith, Tara, and Donnie. It shows the history of friendship and love between them in the playful way they communicate with one another. Actually, that reminds me, I really liked the little sidebar comments between Donnie and Faith while they were watching Tara and Willow. I've been in that situation before, where you're just standing there thinking, 'I really don't think I need to be seeing this right now'. That was a nice little touch.

I’m glad you liked it. I didn’t want it to be over the top but I wanted to give the situation a little levity. Plus I wanted to show the relationship between Tara and Donnie as it’s very different than it is on the show. Thanks for reading.

Ariel – Hi awesome beta!

Quote:
So a fun opening, original then you show in an understated way that Willow is upset and is totally there for Tara. Like how it's subtle and gently humorous instead of melodramatic. Just lovely.

I didn’t want it to be overly melodramatic and downtrodden. It just didn’t feel right. Not that it’s any less of an upsetting situation but there’s different ways to deal with it you know?

Quote:
Definite tug on my heartstrings; love how Tara trusts her and needs her and how caring Willow is. They have crossed a major barrier in the way of their relationship.

That they have. And more barriers will be breaking down in the future as Willow delves into her family life.

Quote:
Love the mystery of Anya . . . eager for more! :bounce

It’s not a big reveal but I think it’s true to her character. We’ll see how everyone else feels though.

Quote:
Also loved the humor between Donnie, Faith, and Tara. You showed Faith's real love for her friend but underplayed it and that fits for Faith's character.

She’s too cool for school lol.

Quote:
So tender, Jess. You call this story "An Everyday Life" and that's what you do - make beauty and humor, pain and joy out of these pieces of regular life. *sighs happily*

Aw, thank you so much. That just feels so amazing to hear and I’m glad you’re enjoying it!

zampsa19752001 – Well hello there.

Quote:
Big yay for Tara waking up... Can't wait for Willow taking her home and start to nurse her back to health... I truly hope that Tara's memory loss doesn't include some important Willow-Tara relationship stuff...

Yes, Willow will be playing the role of nursemaid as Tara heals. But no worries on the memory loss front. Nothing will be missing when it comes to Tara’s relationship with Willow. Thanks for the feedback.

Finey_McFine – Hey Shelby.

Quote:
Yay Tara's awake...it's a Christmas miracle! lol

God works in mysterious ways.

Quote:
I loved Willow sitting mindlessly playing along with Jeopardy and simultaneously holding Tara's hand...I could picture the entire scene. Tara waking up and not wanting Willow to leave was very touching. You can feel the love between them. Now all we need is for Tara to recover enough so they can talk and actually say it to each other.

They’re getting there, they’re getting there. Remember patience is a virtue.

Quote:
Thanks for the lovely Christmas update and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :balloons

Thanks again!

Grimm – Welcome back!

Quote:
Thank goodness for Xmas time miracles. I'm so happy Tara is awake.

Apparently that was a big hit with everyone.

Quote:
I really liked the part when Tara realized that Willow had met the Family. The situation was not ideal. But, they seemed to have taken to Willow like a fish to water and have accepted the relationship right away. I hate the drama that Ira and the Shelia-monster are causing. But, it's refreshing to see that Tara is the one who has the supportive family instead of the one who constantly has to deal with dysfunction. Maybe the Maclay clan can embrace Willow and give her the Family that she's never had.

I like the balance between the two. No you don’t always have to extremes in a situation but this fits here and Willow deserves someone to treat her right. Thanks for reading.

ashcrash71590 – Hello there!

Quote:
Yay! She's awake :) I hope she will continue to stay okay.

She’ll definitely be ok. No question in my mind about that.

Quote:
I quite enjoy your Faith, have I mentioned that? I don't think so, I'm actually not sure if I've ever commented, but I've been reading the best I could. I'm enjoying this :) Can't wait for more.

I’m glad you’re enjoying and I hope to keep you invested in the story as it continues. Thanks for commenting.

An Everyday Life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:56 pm 
5. Willowhand

Update

Title - An Everyday Life
Rating – PG-13
Notes: Special thanks to Ariel for her incredible assistance as my beta.

Chapter Thirty Three

“Well I’ll say one thing. This hospital’s food is way better than St. Claire’s. When I was there for my knee surgery, I thought I was going to starve,” Donnie said as he took another bite of the untouched scrambled eggs from the tray in front of Tara.

“Donnie!” Carolyn scolded from the other side of the hospital bed, dropping the scarf she was knitting in her lap. “Don’t eat that! It’s Tara’s and she needs to keep her strength up.” Tara just smiled at her brother as he guiltily looked back at her, his mouth still full, fork poised in the air with another helping. She giggled and pushed the half empty tray of semi-solid food towards him. Smiling in appreciation he enthusiastically dug into the remaining fare. “Tara! You need to eat that!”

“Mom, I’m fine. I don’t need to gobble down every morsel that they feed me. Barbara already told me not to push it.”

“But Tara, you’re thin enough as it is,” Carolyn said, her tone worried as she scrutinized her daughter’s appearance. “I swear you’ve lost ten pounds since the last time I saw you.”

“Damn and you were shooting for twenty pounds,” Donnie said with a smirk as he took another bite.

“I know. There goes my modeling career. Guess I’ll l have to have my agent cancel that gig for the next Victoria’s Secret catalog,” Tara said, her face completely serious. Next to Carolyn, John began to chuckle but kept his eyes on the television across the room.

“It’s not funny,” she scolded him, picking her needles back up and dropping a stitch with the pink yarn balled at her feet. “And you two are incorrigible,” she said glancing back at her children. They just shook their heads and smiled.

Tara looked around at her family, hating that the accident was the reason that they were all here together, but happy to have them near just the same. Rubbing her tired eyes, she settled back against her pillows and stared up at the ceiling. It was only 9:30 but so far it had been an eventful morning.

After her initial talk with the on-duty nurse about how she was feeling, she was a little startled when two burly police officers knocked on her doorframe, taking their caps off as they entered.

“Morning Ms. Maclay. I’m Officer Jake Stevens and this is my partner, Rick Thomlin. We’d like to speak to you for a few minutes about your accident if you don’t mind,” the taller of the two said with a kind smile at Tara to put her at ease. He stood just inside the door for a moment, waiting for any indication that the blonde was not ready.

“O-O-Ok. Um… wh-what can I h-help you with?” she asked as she attempted to prop herself up, cringing as she did.

“Ms. Maclay, please stay still,” he said as the two officers stepped into the room. “This isn’t a formal matter. We just want to ask you a few questions.” Tara nodded and settled back down. “Great. May I sit?” he asked, motioning to the chair near her bedside. Tara’s head just sort of bobbled on her pillow, causing him to smile as he sat. His partner, the younger of the two stepped to the foot of her bed, looking curiously around the room but not seeming to really pay attention to what his partner was saying.

“Now, Ms. Maclay, we’ve talked to many of the eye witnesses on the scene and the driver of the third car. We were just wondering if we could get your account of the accident,” he said as he pulled a small notepad and a dull, yellow pencil from his pocket.

“Um… w-well, I d-don’t really remember much. Or a-anything really,” she said with a contrite look. “I’m sorry.”

“No apologies needed,” Officer Stevens said with a reassuring smile. “If you don’t mind my asking, what is the last thing you remember?”

“Leaving w-work. I was on m-my way to m-meet someone and I was g-getting in the elevator in my office on the way d-down to my car. That’s all.”

“Well ok then,” he said as he pocketed his notepad. “We won’t take up any more of your time. But if you do remember anything else, please call me,” he said passing her a card with his number printed on it.

“Ok,” she said, studying the card. The two men made their way to the door and were almost in the hall when she called out softly, “What happened?”

“I’m sorry?” Officer Stevens said as he slipped his cap back on.

“Wh-What happened? I mean, if you’re doing an investigation, I’m guessing th-this is about more than j-just a car accident,” she said, looking hopefully at the officer. He smiled again, but this time it there was a hint of sadness there. He nodded to his partner to give him a minute before coming back into the room and sitting back in the same chair.

“Unfortunately Ms. Maclay-”

“Tara.”

“Tara,” he said gently. “The driver that hit you fled the scene immediately. Eye witnesses gave us a description but so far we’ve had no luck at apprehending the individual. He was speeding when he hit you and one witness reported that he appeared to be texting right before the accident.”

“It was a hit and run?”

“In a stolen vehicle,” he said with a nod. He watched for a moment as she absorbed the information, her face full of surprise. “Like I said, we were able to gather a description from some of the witnesses on the scene but unfortunately, there’s some conflicting information.”

“Conflicting information?”

“Yes. One person said he had brown hair, another said blonde. Someone said he was tall and someone else said short, etcetera, etcetera. It caused a lot of excitement and the few witnesses that were available were more concerned about you and the other driver’s well-being.”

“The other driver… how is h-he?”

“I haven’t actually spoken to him since the day of the accident. He was with you when we arrived on the scene just before the ambulance. Nice guy. He kept asking about you when I talked to him after he was discharged from the ER.”

Tara nodded and took another moment before asking her next question.

“Do you th-think you’ll c-catch the guy?”

“I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure we do,” he said softly.

“Ok,” she said with a nod as she stared down at the card in her hands.

“Well, I won’t take up anymore of your time Tara. But again, if you remember anything, even if it doesn’t seem important, please call.” She just nodded again as he stood up and made his way towards the door.

“O-Officer Stevens?” Tara looked up to see him staring back at her, his eyes still soft. “Thank you.” He nodded once and then left the room. She listened as the sound of his patent leather shoes tramping against the tile became quieter and quieter until eventually there was silence and she was once again left alone, a nagging feeling eating at her chest as she processed what he’d told her.

It wasn’t the accident that bothered her. Sure it was scary but it wasn’t the first time she’d been hit. She’d been in a fender bender or two and had nursed a mild case of whiplash when she was fifteen and riding shotgun when Donnie had his first accident in their father’s truck. And even though she hated the idea that someone had caused all this destruction with a stolen vehicle and then ran off, she wasn’t surprised. People did bad things every day and some got caught and the rest didn’t. That was just the way life worked. But the fact that she couldn’t remember any of the events was eating at her insides; clawing its way through her brain as she struggled over and over to try and piece together anything. And again and again, she was unsuccessful.

“Tara!” She was snapped back to reality by her brother’s booming voice. He was staring at her, his eyes worried as he waved a hand in front of her face.

“Stop it!” she said as she pushed his hand away. She looked to her parents who were sporting the same worried glances as her brother. “What?”

“Are you ok sweetie?” Carolyn asked as she reached for her daughter’s hand.

“Yeah, sorry. I was just thinking. What did I miss?”

“Before or after Donnie ate your Jell-O?” John joked.

“Definitely after,” she said with a laugh as she saw a red glob of the jiggly stuff stuck to his lip.

“Am I interrupting?” Willow’s voice came softly through the door as she stood in the hallway, her eyes quickly scanning over the other faces in the room before landing on Tara’s, her lips instantly lifting at the corners as she saw her girlfriend’s beautiful blue eyes.

“Willow! Oh how are you darling? Come in. Sit, join us,” Carolyn said, her over-welcoming tone causing Tara to laugh a little too hard and then cringe as she felt the stitches on her abdomen pull.

“You ok?” Donnie asked as she placed her hand gently on the tender spot. She just nodded and turned back to the doorway, smiling once again when her eyes met Willow’s.

“You can come in,” she said when Willow stayed rooted to her spot in the hallway.

“Oh, no, I don’t want to intrude. I’ll just sit in the waiting room,” she said, motioning over her shoulder.

“Nonsense,” Carolyn cried as she stood and ushered the nervous redhead into the room, much to Tara’s enjoyment. “Donnie, be a gentleman and give Willow your seat,” she said as she pushed her to the other side of the bed where Donnie had immediately stood and gestured towards the now vacant chair.

“Oh, no, I’m fine. I can stand.”

“No, I insist. I’ve been sitting around too much anyway lately,” he said, still holding the seat open. Willow hesitated again and opened her mouth to argue when Tara stepped in.

“Just sit Will. Otherwise we’ll be here all day watching Donnie try to be chivalrous.” Willow looked back and forth between the two smiling siblings before taking the seat, sitting stiffly on the corner of the chair. Tara continued to smile at the scene, watching her girlfriend’s eyes dart uncomfortably around the room before landing on hers. Green met blue and Tara watched as Willow melted into the chair, smiling back at her.

“How are you?”

“Fine,” Tara said, elaborating no further when her parents looked expectantly at her. Willow made a mental note of it but didn’t press the issue. “Have you been here long?”

“No. Buffy just dropped me off and ran to get us coffee. She wanted to see you but didn’t feel like drinking the sludge from the cafeteria. Those were her words, not mine. I mean, no the coffee here isn’t the best but it’s a hospital, not a Starbucks, you know. I mean you can’t expect a great Columbian French roast from an industrial Mr. Coffee.” She noticed the smirk on Tara’s face and realized that she was babbling, possibly for the first time in days. “Sorry. No, I haven’t been here long.”

“Well I’m glad you’re here,” Tara said, reaching across the bed with her left hand to her girlfriend. Willow reached up and took her hand, squeezing gently, relishing in the feel of Tara squeezing back.

“So Willow, tell us more about your job,” Carolyn said as she continued her knitting.

“Mom,” Tara chastised at the same time Donnie sighed and John threw her a warning glance.

“What? We’ve spent the whole week with her. I just thought it might be nice to get to know her better since she’s an important part of Tara’s life,” Carolyn said as she looked around at her family.

“Yes, she is important,” Tara said, squeezing Willow’s hand. “But I’d prefer not to scare her off with a third degree interrogation just yet.”

“I wasn’t interrogating. I was only-”

“Carolyn,” John said quietly as he wrapped an arm around his wife and gently squeezed her shoulder.

“Fine. No more questions,” she said resignedly. “So what should we talk about?”

“Nuclear fission?” Donnie suggested. “The division of subatomic particles?”

“No, we discussed the yesterday. How about the significance of the Reconstruction Act of 1867?” Tara said. John just chuckled but continued to watch the television on the far wall. Carolyn looked back and forth between her children, unamused.

“You two so take after your father’s side,” she said with a sigh as she returned to her knitting. Tara smiled at her brother before he turned his back to her, sitting at the end of the bed, his eyes fixed on the television as the latest sports highlights started to play. Tara turned back to Willow, brushing her thumb across the back of the redhead’s hand.

‘I missed you,’ she mouthed, making Willow smile even wider.

‘Me too,’ she mouthed back. They continued to stare at each other, blue getting lost in green and green in blue, noticing nothing else about their surroundings. Willow scooted her chair closer to the bed, awkwardly trying to keep her hand in Tara’s as she did so.

“So what did you end up doing last night after you left here?” Tara asked once Willow was reseated.

“Nothing. Just went home and caught up on some work I had waiting.”

“And why aren’t you there now being super computer girl?”

“Because then I wouldn’t be here with you,” Willow said with grin. Tara smiled back and gently ran her thumb across the back of Willow’s hand.

“I’m glad you’re Will. I just don’t want you putting your life on hold to sit here with me. I mean, obviously there’s not a whole lot that you’d miss,” she said, looking around the room.

“I’d miss you,” Willow said quietly, blushing suddenly when Donnie cleared his throat from the end of the bed. Tara just smiled reassuringly at her girlfriend. “Sorry,” Willow whispered.

“Don’t be.” Tara smiled at her once more, getting lost in her girlfriend’s eyes.

“Has Faith been by this morning?” Willow asked. Tara just shook her head. “Anya?”

“Nope. But then again, it’s early and I’m sure they have better things to do than sit in here with me, watching the clock tick by.” Willow opened her mouth to argue when the on-duty nurse entered the room, smiling at everyone, but not saying a word as she made her way around the bed, checking Tara’s vitals. Donnie hopped off the bed to give her room to move around but Tara kept her hand firmly around Willow’s, keeping her in place as the nurse silently worked around her.

“She doesn’t say much does she,” Donnie joked once she had left the room, earning a smile from his sister. “Still feeling like a pin cushion?

“I’m ok,” she said with an over exaggerated yawn and a pointed look at her brother. She flitted her eyes towards her parents, who were paying no attention to their children and Donnie immediately picked up the cue and sprang into action.

“He mom, dad, why don’t we go grab a coffee?” he said as he moved towards them. They both looked at him curiously.

“Donnie, we already had coffee this morning with breakfast,” Carolyn said. “You had three cups actually.”

“Well, juice then. Let’s go get some juice,” he said, trying to herd them towards the door.

“Juice?” John asked. “What do you want juice for? You just drank half of what they gave your sister for her breakfast.”

“Ok, just get out,” he said as he helped his mom from her chair and pushed them both out the door. He turned back once to a smiling Tara before leaving the room himself.

“They aren’t that great at taking a hint huh?” Tara joked as she tried to adjust herself to a more comfortable position in the bed, her face contorting in pain.

“Tara?” Willow stood up and reached for the blonde, unsure of what to do.

“I’m ok,” she said as she settled back. “Just want to be able to keep you here with me for the ten minutes that Donnie will be able to keep them out of the room.”

“I’m not going anywhere,” Willow said, leaning in to place her lips against Tara hand. “So what did I miss this morning?”

“The police w-were here.”

“Baby, why didn’t you tell me they were here?” Willow asked, the concern in her voice evident.

“They just showed up first thing this morning. I-I didn’t even know they wanted to talk to me,” she said, uncomfortably looking away from the Willow. “They told me what happened.”

Willow nodded, having already heard the story days ago when the police had spoken to Tara’s parents. She actually couldn’t get what she'd been told about the scene out of her mind and felt the strongest surge of powerlessness sweep over her every time she envisioned it.

“They wanted to know if I could give them any more information about it, but I still can’t remember anything,” Tara said dejectedly.

“Hey, it’s ok,” Willow said, her voice comforting. She wrapped her two good hands around Tara’s non-casted one and smiled. “Did the police say anything else?”

“Not really,” Tara said, adjusting slightly in the bed. “But I don’t really want to talk about it. It’s all I’ve been thinking about all morning.”

“Ok. We can talk about something else. Any thoughts on that Reconstruction Act?”

“No,” Tara said with a giggle. “I really am glad you’re here though.”

“Me too. Or at least I’m glad I’m with you. Not too keen on the whole hospital part though. Have they said how long you’ll have to stay here?”

“I asked this morning and basically the sooner I can get out of this bed, the sooner I can go home,” she said with a sigh.

“So do you want to practice jogging around the nurses’ station now or later?” Willow joked.

“I just want to go home. I hate being here and being poked and prodded all the time. But obviously they can’t discharge me until I can semi-take care of myself.”

“Well it’s not like you live alone,” Willow said. “Can’t they take that into consideration?”

“Unfortunately no. Though my mother is insisting that she come stay with me when I do get out of here,” Tara said with a cynical smile that Willow could only laugh at. “I mean it’s really sweet of her to want to help but I’ll be ok. I have Faith living there with me and if she wasn’t available, I could always call someone else if I needed help.”

“Someone like?”

“Someone like you?” Tara asked hopefully.

“Whatever you need baby,” Willow said as she stood and leaned forward, gently kissing Tara’s forehead, letting her lips rest there as the blonde nuzzled into her.

“You smell good,” she whispered after a long moment of deeply inhaling the scent of her lover.

“Ah yes, it’s this new thing I’m trying out called soap,” Willow said, resting her forehead against Tara’s, smiling at the beautiful girl beneath her. “You smell like Tara.”

“Is that a new scent?”

“It’s my favorite,” Willow said, pressing her lips softly against Tara’s. She was mildly surprised when she felt Tara’s left hand wind through her hair, keeping her in place as their lips met over and over again. She placed her hands on either side of the blonde’s shoulders and leaned in further, mindful not to touch Tara’s injuries but unable to stay away from her any longer. It had been far too long since she’d felt Tara’s soft lips against hers and suddenly she couldn’t get enough.

“Stupid hospital bed,” she grumbled against Tara’s mouth when her the bed railing clattered against her hip, causing the blonde to giggle.

“We’ll have to have proper snuggles when I get home,” Tara said, her lips tickling Willow’s as she held tight to her girlfriend.

“I can’t wait,” Willow said, her eyes closed, savoring the feel of Tara’s fingers combing through her hair. She was jolted out of the moment by a wide yawn from the woman beneath her. “Tired?”

“A little.”

“Why don’t you go back to sleep then.”

“Because I don’t want to miss out on alone time with you,” Tara said with a pout. Unable to help herself, Willow leaned in and kissed her once more.

“I’ll stay right here. Just close your eyes,” she coaxed. Tara reached for her hand first, gripping it tightly as her eyes fluttered shut. Willow pulled her chair closer so she could comfortable sit and turned towards the TV, hoping it would kill some time while Tara napped. Hockey highlights, she thought with a sigh. Not exactly her cup of tea. She turned back to Tara and smiled when she saw the blonde staring back at her, that infamous half-smile stretching at her lips. “Go to sleep,” she said again with a smile. Tara squeezed her hand once more before nodding off.

“Knock knock,” Faith said as she stuck her head into the stockroom at the back of Anya’s shop.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Anya said as she looked up from the inventory books littering her desk.

“Looking for you,” Faith stepped in and closed the door behind her. “I had to barter sexual favors with Spike to tell me where you were.”

“Sexual favors?”

“Something involving a nine iron and those plastic pink ice cubes that old people use. I have absolutely no intention of following through though,” Faith said as she looked around the stockroom. “So what’s up? I haven’t talked to you for a few days.”

“I’ve been busy,” Anya said turning back to the ledger she was working on.

“Tara’s awake.” Anya sat completely still, her pen poised above the ledger for a full ten seconds before she looked up at Faith.

“So she’s ok?”

“Pretty much. She woke up yesterday but the doctor thinks she’s going to be fine.” Faith paused for a moment, searching Anya’s face for any emotion. “I was just about to head over there to see her. You want to come with me?”

“Oh… well… I don’t think right now’s a good time for me. I’m really busy here with this inventory and I have all these back orders to deal with.”

“Well Spike can handle that.”

“No, he’s busy up front.”

“Anya there’s no one up there. I’m sure he can handle things here for a few hours.”

“Faith just… I think you should go without me.” She put her head back down but made no attempt to start writing in her books again.

Deciding not to give in to her stubborn friend, Faith stepped closer to the desk and sat on the edge, grabbing one of the supplier catalogs off the desk and idly began flipping through it.

“What are you doing?”

“Nothing. I’ll just wait until you’re ready to go and then we can ride together.”

“Faith, I said you can go. I’ll go see her later.”

“Will you?” Anya huffed and slammed her pen down on the desk, her irritation boiling over, but Faith pressed on. “Or are you just saying that to get me to leave?”

“Why do you care?” Anya asked, her voice an octave higher than normal.

“Because your best friend just woke up for the first time in three days and you’re ignoring her. What the hell’s up with you?” Faith asked as she tossed the catalog onto Anya’s ledger.

“Nothing’s up with me. I’m just busy ok,” Anya said as she stood up from her desk and attempted to busy herself with arranging some of the already neat boxes on the shelves.

“Really? Because I’m pretty sure you’re acting like an asshole right now,” Faith growled as she hopped off the corner of the desk and stepped towards the blonde, her fists clenched at her sides. “What the hell happened between Tuesday night and now that you all of a sudden don’t care about what happens to her? You haven’t been back to see her since you ran out Wednesday morning and now she’s awake and scared and she needs her friends but you’re bailing on her. And why? Because you want to sit in this dark stockroom and worry about some customer in Indiana who needs some special lube overnighted to him? Yeah because they matter but your best friend lying in a hospital bed, well who gives a shit about her right?!” Faith was standing right behind Anya by the time she finished her tirade but the blonde refused to turn and meet her stare. Disbelief coursed through the brunette at her friend’s actions and before she did something that she might come to regret she turned and quickly stepped towards the door. She yanked on the doorknob, fully intent on leaving and slamming it behind her when she heard a sniffle come from the blonde in the corner. Turning to look at her friend she saw her shoulders hunched and shaking as another sniffle filled the air between them. Sighing she closed the door and leaned back against it, watching Anya for a moment before speaking.

“What’s going on with you Ahn?”

“I can’t lose her,” Anya said quietly, still facing away.

“But Ahn, she woke up.” Faith was trying to keep the aggravation out of her voice but it seemed to be a futile effort.

“I know but…” Anya finally turned and faced her friend. “What if something else happens? What if they screwed up the surgery and tomorrow she’s gone? Or maybe she’ll be ok but a year from now she gets run over on her morning jog? Or mugged at gunpoint? Or-”

“Anya stop!” Faith pushed off the door and stepped towards her friend. “Why are you thinking like this? What brought all this on?”

“I just… she was in the accident and we all knew what was happening to her. The doctors told us and they prepared us but… actually seeing her there, completely unresponsive, looking the way she did… I just don’t understand how it happened. I don’t understand how that asshole ran her down and then took off! She could’ve died, Faith! She could be gone forever and I just… I can’t deal with it ok? I know you two are so close and you’re both so important to each other. But I love you both too. I may not be there every morning when you wake up but for the past decade you two have been such an important part of my life. Yes, I ended up lucking out with my family. I was adopted by two great parents and brought into a loving family but when I met you two, I got to choose you as my family. You two are my best friends and… well, I can’t lose either of you. It would break my heart. And I-”

“Anya seriously, stop!” Faith said gently, reaching out to the blonde, who shoved her hand away.

“No! Maybe it doesn’t make sense to you. But I just… I don’t… I don’t know...” She trailed off as she sat back down at her desk looking utterly defeated.

“I do. I get it Ahn. You’ve never lost anyone before. And this scared you. I know how much you love Tara. But pushing yourself away isn’t going to make you feel any better.” Faith stepped closer and kneeled down near Anya’s chair, resting her hand on her friend’s forearm, grateful when she wasn’t shoved away. “You can’t push away because you care too much. I know you’re a hard ass Ahn but you’re going to feel much worse if you’re not around. And you know you can’t just walk away from her. Yes, if something happens to her, it’s not going to be fun. Losing someone never is. But it’s part of loving someone.” She paused for a moment, allowing her words to sink in to the sulking blonde’s mind. “Look, she’s a big part of both of our lives. But whether she’s here or not, that’s not going to change. Wouldn’t you rather have time with her while she’s here though? Wouldn’t you rather not worry about the what ifs and just focus on the fact that today, she’s ok and that’s one more day you have your best friend in your life.” She paused again and watched as Anya took a deep breath and nodded slightly. “Plus if you don’t show up, she’s going to be really hurt and possibly come down here and kick your ass when she feels better.” Anya finally met Faith’s stare and shook her head.

“I hate that she knows how to throw a decent punch,” Anya said, completely serious.

Faith smiled and squeezed Anya’s forearm, knowing she’d broken through.

“I know this is new territory Anya but it’s going to be ok. I promise.” Anya looked at her, knowing she couldn’t really promise anything but nodded just the same.

“Ok. I guess we can go see her.” Faith smiled and stood up, stepping back.

“Do you want me to drive?”

“Absolutely not!” Anya said as she pulled a mirror out of her desk and looked at her blotchy face.

“Why not? I at least know the difference between the gas pedal and the brake.”

“Yes you do. But you also drive ten miles below the speed limit and last time I rode with you, a grandmother on her Rascal passed us on the sidewalk. I’m driving,” she said as she retouched her makeup. “Now, should we bring her a waking up gift?” she asked as she looked around the stockroom for something appropriate.

“Sure, as long as it’s not from here,” Faith said, smiling when Anya scowled.

An Everyday Life

Last edited by beautiful_love on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: An Everyday Life (Update 1/16/12)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:37 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dibs :whip

I'm so glad that Tara seems to be on her way to making a full recovery. Although her relationship with her brother is completely different to the show, I find their relationship in this story totally believable. The playful banter back and forth, the sharing or rather stealing of food, and running interference with the parents to Tara can get a little Willow time alone. All great assets of the loving sibling relationship. Willow seemed to take the backseat a little bit in this update. She is so timid and stand-offish. Not sure if that is something you are going to address later or not, but I found it an interesting character change. Perhaps she is being reserved in the fact that seeing the happy family dynamic of Tara's family makes her feel even more insecure about her own. Not sure, what you are up to there, but I'm sure it will be revealed soon.

As for Anya, I kinda had a feeling that it was her insecurity about the potential loss of a good friend that caused her to retreat from the hospital. Being overwhelmed with emotions that she wasn't sure what to do with. Nice nod to cannon with Anya's talk to Faith. You definately caught the emotion behind her feelings in 'The Body' ep.

Great job. Can't wait for Tara's return home and a little Willow TLC!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:00 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Ok. Tara's awake so that's good news. I like the way you interspersed medical information with more emotional and relationship stuff. They are all so wonderful together. Anya just went through a hard time but she will be fine. Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:54 am 
9. Gay Now

Yay for great update-y goodness... I really like the Tara & Donnie banter... I'm glad that Anya has given her reason to be a no-show in the hospital...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:49 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Hi Jessica,

Quote:
“Donnie!” Carolyn scolded from the other side of the hospital bed, dropping the scarf she was knitting in her lap. “Don’t eat that! It’s Tara’s and she needs to keep her strength up.” Tara just smiled at her brother as he guiltily looked back at her, his mouth still full, fork poised in the air with another helping. She giggled and pushed the half empty tray of semi-solid food towards him. Smiling in appreciation he enthusiastically dug into the remaining fare. “Tara! You need to eat that!”
So, I l have to echo Lexi’s comment about the banter between Donnie and Tara – love the warmth and the way you create a believable relationship between them. Excellent! I really feel like they go back years. Part of that is how they talk to each other and also the little touches, like Tara riding shotgun and being involved in Donnie’s “first accident.” Also love the touches of humor, like Donnie eating her jello and a bit of it hanging off his lip! :lmao

Another good touch was Tara’s struggle to remember and her fear that she can’t. Having a serious failure of mind and memory is huge; including her emotional reaction to that is vital. On a personal note, I was being used to demonstrate a choke hold in a self-defense class and was accidentally knocked out by my partner. When I came to a split second later I didn’t remember who I was or where I was. The first thing that came back (instantly) was what time it was, then my name and all the other details rushed back. The whole process was probably about two seconds. The point? Decades later I still remember that incredible moment of amnesia and I know that Tara’s is much worse and has to be an frightening situation for her to deal with! Again, thanks for including it! :applause

On to the police. You take time with them, provide names and description. I am VERY intrigued about what this is about and if/when they are coming back and what info they will have if/when they do!

The family dynamics are believable and solid, got a kick out of ‘Papa John’ resolutely staring at the TV and pretending not to hear what was being said – also Donnie getting his family out the door for some W/T alone time. And Carolyn’s “over-welcoming” tone is a nice change from parental hostility while being equally awkward to deal with – good choice and back to T/W alone time . . .

Quote:
“You smell good,” she whispered after a long moment of deeply inhaling the scent of her lover.

“Ah yes, it’s this new thing I’m trying out called soap,” Willow said, resting her forehead against Tara’s, smiling at the beautiful girl beneath her. “You smell like Tara.”

“Is that a new scent?”

“It’s my favorite,” Willow said, pressing her lips softly against Tara’s. She was mildly surprised when she felt Tara’s left hand wind through her hair, keeping her in place as their lips met over and over again. She placed her hands on either side of the blonde’s shoulders and leaned in further, mindful not to touch Tara’s injuries but unable to stay away from her any longer. It had been far too long since she’d felt Tara’s soft lips against hers and suddenly she couldn’t get enough.
Love the banter and love the talk about smells and how they love each other’s scent. Then the kissage. Mmmm. They need it and yes, they need “proper snuggles”!

Quote:
“Really? Because I’m pretty sure you’re acting like an asshole right now,” Faith growled as she hopped off the corner of the desk and stepped towards the blonde, her fists clenched at her sides. “What the hell happened between Tuesday night and now that you all of a sudden don’t care about what happens to her? You haven’t been back to see her since you ran out Wednesday morning and now she’s awake and scared and she needs her friends but you’re bailing on her.
This was a powerful monologue, liked how Faith hops off the desk and has her fists clenched AND starts to leave so she doesn’t lose control and regret it. Then Anya’s sniff and the truth comes out. Touching and well done then you close with a bit of humor as Anya’s gift idea is rejected.

All in all, GREAT reading! :applause :clap :applause

Thanks!!! :flower

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:08 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Just popping in to say how much I'm loving this fic. Just the right amount of angst (sometimes too much is just a turnoff unless you know ahead of time what you're getting into), just the right amount of anticipation without taking forever to get to the romance and just the right amount of smut... Er... Smoochies.

I've only just discovered this fic after being away from the board for a long time and being a lurker before that and I have to say that it's rare that I comment on LJ or FF.net only because to me it's only the really good stories that catch my undivided attention that I'm willing to post about. Yours is one of them. The characterizations are wonderful and fleshed out with bits of our original Willow and Tara with your own unique vision of them thrown in.

Anya is still Anya however - and somehow that seems right... Just substitute a sex shop for the Magic Shop. I like it that her and Xander found each other-while I know in the series and the comics there's no happy endings for anyone, I was almost as pissed off that Anya died as when Tara was killed. So it's nice to see them here.

Faith and Buffy... It's always been a *distant* second pairing for me but I definitely appreciate the care you've taken with it and even though we know that Faith's family and past has been hard-you've not made her as damaged as the original. She stronger and more self-confident and willing to share that pain with those who are closest to her instead of lashing out at the world.

Thank you for making Dawn a pretty scarce character. *cough* she's just as annoying in your story as she was in the show and comics.

And thank you for how gently you're treating cancer and the aftermath it leaves on those who are left behind.

Anyways... My index finger is killing me from typing all this on my iPad lol... I had just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed what you've written so far and look forward to more. Brava.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:10 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Quote:
“He mom, dad, why don’t we go grab a coffee?” he said as he moved towards them. They both looked at him curiously.

“Donnie, we already had coffee this morning with breakfast,” Carolyn said. “You had three cups actually.”

“Well, juice then. Let’s go get some juice,” he said, trying to herd them towards the door.

“Juice?” John asked. “What do you want juice for? You just drank half of what they gave your sister for her breakfast.”

“Ok, just get out,” he said as he helped his mom from her chair and pushed them both out the door. He turned back once to a smiling Tara before leaving the room himself.

I laughed out loud to this part. It was quite funny.
I really enjoy Tara's family in your story. I love the banter between Donny and Tara. It's nice to see a story where they are getting along. I also enjoy how you made Tara's mother. She seems to be the more stern one amongst the family and that's is very unusual very new.
Quote:

I enjoyed this. It was so sweet how Willow, even in the mist of enjoying kissing her girlfriend, was cautious about her injuries. It shows how much she cares for the blonde. It is always nice to see the smallest of kisses turn into a need.

I also love the friendship between Anya, Faith and Tara. You could feel the emotions Faith and Anya were feeling in your commentary, well done :) I always loved Anya's caring side. You didn't see it as much, but when you did see it was powerful, like when Joyce died.

I really enjoy your story. I can't wait for more :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:14 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

I love sibling banter. Glad to see that Tara is awake but hoping she is able to get the rest of her memory back so she can help in the police investigation. They need to catch the person who caused this whole mess. I love that Faith wasn't going to leave Anya's side until she told her the truth about why she wasn't visiting Tara. Looking forward to see what kind of gift Anya does bring Tara.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:33 am 
5. Willowhand

True_Love – Hey Lex.

Quote:
Although her relationship with her brother is completely different to the show, I find their relationship in this story totally believable. The playful banter back and forth, the sharing or rather stealing of food, and running interference with the parents to Tara can get a little Willow time alone. All great assets of the loving sibling relationship.

Donnie was a dick on the show and I didn't want that to be here in this story. But I'm glad it's believable.

Quote:
Willow seemed to take the backseat a little bit in this update. She is so timid and stand-offish. Not sure if that is something you are going to address later or not, but I found it an interesting character change. Perhaps she is being reserved in the fact that seeing the happy family dynamic of Tara's family makes her feel even more insecure about her own. Not sure, what you are up to there, but I'm sure it will be revealed soon.

She's definintely not used to the whole idea of a good family. But she hasn't told Tara everything yet so there's lots of time.

Quote:
As for Anya, I kinda had a feeling that it was her insecurity about the potential loss of a good friend that caused her to retreat from the hospital. Being overwhelmed with emotions that she wasn't sure what to do with. Nice nod to cannon with Anya's talk to Faith. You definately caught the emotion behind her feelings in 'The Body' ep.

I definitely wanted to give it the feeling of The Body and I'm glad it was sucessful. Thanks for commenting, as always.

JustSkipIt
Quote:
Ok. Tara's awake so that's good news. I like the way you interspersed medical information with more emotional and relationship stuff. They are all so wonderful together.

Thank you. That means a lot. I'm glad the relationships are coming through the way I'm intending.

Quote:
Anya just went through a hard time but she will be fine. Well done.

Of course she will, she's Anya. Lol. Thanks for the feedback.

zampsa19752001
Quote:
I really like the Tara & Donnie banter...

It seems everyone liked that.

Quote:
I'm glad that Anya has given her reason to be a no-show in the hospital...

The fear of losing someone is always terrifying. But she'll be ok. Thanks for commenting again. I think you've hit every update and that means a lot.

Ariel – Hey Ariel.

Quote:
Another good touch was Tara’s struggle to remember and her fear that she can’t. Having a serious failure of mind and memory is huge; including her emotional reaction to that is vital. On a personal note, I was being used to demonstrate a choke hold in a self-defense class and was accidentally knocked out by my partner. When I came to a split second later I didn’t remember who I was or where I was. The first thing that came back (instantly) was what time it was, then my name and all the other details rushed back. The whole process was probably about two seconds. The point? Decades later I still remember that incredible moment of amnesia and I know that Tara’s is much worse and has to be an frightening situation for her to deal with! Again, thanks for including it!

That's really scary. I've never actually experienced anything like it. (knock wood) But it is something that will continue to be addressed for both girls.

Quote:
The family dynamics are believable and solid, got a kick out of ‘Papa John’ resolutely staring at the TV and pretending not to hear what was being said – also Donnie getting his family out the door for some W/T alone time. And Carolyn’s “over-welcoming” tone is a nice change from parental hostility while being equally awkward to deal with – good choice

I'm actually really enjoying playing with Tara's family and how they interact. It's kind of like I wiped the slate clean and everyone seems to be enjoying it so far.

Quote:
Love the banter and love the talk about smells and how they love each other’s scent. Then the kissage. Mmmm. They need it and yes, they need “proper snuggles”!
This was a powerful monologue, liked how Faith hops off the desk and has her fists clenched AND starts to leave so she doesn’t lose control and regret it.

I hadn't given them any proper alone time in a while and they deserved it. Thanks again for the thoughtful feedback.

Silk
Quote:
Just popping in to say how much I'm loving this fic. Just the right amount of angst (sometimes too much is just a turnoff unless you know ahead of time what you're getting into), just the right amount of anticipation without taking forever to get to the romance and just the right amount of smut... Er... Smoochies.

I've only just discovered this fic after being away from the board for a long time and being a lurker before that and I have to say that it's rare that I comment on LJ or FF.net only because to me it's only the really good stories that catch my undivided attention that I'm willing to post about. Yours is one of them. The characterizations are wonderful and fleshed out with bits of our original Willow and Tara with your own unique vision of them thrown in.

Wow, thank you so much. You have no idea how nice that is to hear, and really just drives me to write more and improve.

Quote:
Anya is still Anya however - and somehow that seems right... Just substitute a sex shop for the Magic Shop. I like it that her and Xander found each other-while I know in the series and the comics there's no happy endings for anyone, I was almost as pissed off that Anya died as when Tara was killed. So it's nice to see them here.

I was too. I never understood why the end had to mean death or unhappiness for my favorites on this show. Frustrating. But for some reason, I just can't see Anya being anything but Anya. It's an honest characterization and I'm just really trying to do it justice.

Quote:
Faith and Buffy... It's always been a *distant* second pairing for me but I definitely appreciate the care you've taken with it and even though we know that Faith's family and past has been hard-you've not made her as damaged as the original. She stronger and more self-confident and willing to share that pain with those who are closest to her instead of lashing out at the world.

I always liked them together in the fics. And I just thought it would be a nice addition to this story without taking over because, of course, it's about Willow and Tara. Again thanks for the feedback and I hope you continue to read and enjoy.

wildmind
Quote:
I really enjoy Tara's family in your story. I love the banter between Donny and Tara. It's nice to see a story where they are getting along. I also enjoy how you made Tara's mother. She seems to be the more stern one amongst the family and that's is very unusual very new.

I'm glad everyone's enjoying Tara's family and finding it all believable. Because it's so different than how they behaved on the show, I was initially worried about it but so far, it seems to have paid off.

Quote:
It was so sweet how Willow, even in the mist of enjoying kissing her girlfriend, was cautious about her injuries. It shows how much she cares for the blonde. It is always nice to see the smallest of kisses turn into a need.

It had been a while since we'd had some good W/T kissage but of course with the situation, getting carried away is probably not the best idea. That will have to wait until Tara's a little more sturdy. But we're getting there.

Quote:
I also love the friendship between Anya, Faith and Tara. You could feel the emotions Faith and Anya were feeling in your commentary, well done :) I always loved Anya's caring side. You didn't see it as much, but when you did see it was powerful, like when Joyce died.

I was kind of channeling The Body when I wrote that part but it seems to have been effective. And I'm glad you're enjoying the relationship between the three girls. I always wanted to see it on the show but sadly... sigh. Thanks for reading and commenting.

love_2003
Quote:
Glad to see that Tara is awake but hoping she is able to get the rest of her memory back so she can help in the police investigation. They need to catch the person who caused this whole mess.

It's kind fo a scary situation. And the feeling of helplessness Tara's carrying is something that I think could be really overwhelming. We'll have to see how she deals with it.

Quote:
I love that Faith wasn't going to leave Anya's side until she told her the truth about why she wasn't visiting Tara. Looking forward to see what kind of gift Anya does bring Tara.

Obviously, this fic is centered around W/T but I'm really enjoying writing writing the friends-aspect of the story too. It's actually a lot of fun. Thanks for commenting.

An Everyday Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:34 am 
5. Willowhand

Update

Title - An Everyday Life
Rating – PG
Notes: Special thanks to Ariel for her incredible assistance as my beta.

Chapter Thirty Four

The sunlight coming through the window was almost blinding as Tara stared outside, watching the palms swaying in the gentle breeze. She sighed, wishing she could open the window to let in some of the fresh August air but she was stuck with stale air from the hospital that had surrounded her for more than a week now. And it had been a fairly uneventful week in her opinion; lots of talking to with her doctor and the different nurses on the floor about what to expect, how to change her bandages that she’d still have to wear for a few more days and follow up appointments that would need to be made with her personal physician.

And through it all, visitors had cycled in and out of her room constantly, bringing well wishes but all she really wished for was some peace and quiet. She just wanted some alone time to think. Think about what Tara? The accident? You can’t remember! As hard as she tried, her mind had been wiped completely blank of the incident and it was becoming more and more frustrating to her that her memory wouldn’t cooperate. Initially she’d worried that she might have lost other memories but after a few days of sorting through them, she couldn’t seem to find any other gaping holes. Furrowing her forehead she reached up and felt for the raised ridge of soft skin near her left eyebrow where her stitches had been removed a few days earlier. Running her fingers along the smooth tissue she felt her brow furrow again in frustration.

Sighing she shifted in the chair that had been placed by the window for her. It wasn’t completely uncomfortable to sit up now and she preferred it immensely to lying in the narrow hospital bed. She closed her eyes and laid her head back, letting the sun warm her face as she leaned back in the chair, it’s plastic material creaking against her weight as she got comfortable. It was a little after eleven and the floor was actually quiet today. So quiet in fact she could hear the birds chirping from outside the double paned window, softly singing her into a relaxing trance.

That’s how Willow found her fifteen minutes later as she peaked into the room from the hallway. She smiled as she took in the sight of Tara’s face, illuminated by the sun, highlighting her features perfectly. She looked so peaceful Willow hated to disturb her. Quietly tiptoeing into the room, she set the duffle bag she was carrying onto the tile floor and sat on the edge of the empty hospital bed, cringing when it creaked noisily under her weight. She smiled sheepishly when Tara’s eyes fluttered open to see what all the commotion was about, and hopped off the bed.

“Sorry,” she said, leaning into the blonde for a quick kiss to the forehead before settling back on the bed. “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

“You didn’t,” Tara said, smiling tenderly at her girlfriend. “I was just resting.”

“Well I ran into Barbara on my way in. She said they should have you discharged before noon.” Willow was unable to keep the excitement out of her voice as her tongue poked through her teeth. Tara just smiled back, honestly happier about Willow’s proximity than going home for the moment.

“What’s in the bag?” she asked, nodding towards the blue Nike duffle at Willow’s feet.

“Oh, clothes for you. Faith packed the bag and I picked it up this morning before she left for work.” Willow jumped off the bed and reached for the bag, setting it in Tara’s lap. “I would’ve dropped it off sooner but I had to stop by work before I came over.”

“Thanks Will.”

“So where’s everyone else?” Willow asked as she hopped back onto the bed, her feet dangling over the tile below her as her legs rocked back and forth as her hands fidgeted with the bottom of her t-shirt.

“Oh they're around here somewhere. I keep telling them to go home but they’re insisting they stay at least a few more days.”

“They just want to be here for you Tare.”

“I know. And I appreciate that. I just want some time alone you know? Since I woke up I haven’t had an hour to myself. I know this sounds r-really selfish and awful but, present company excluded, I really would like to be left alone by everyone else.”

“Well I’m sorry to say but I don’t think anyone’s going to be leaving you alone anytime soon,” Willow said as she hopped off the bed and stepped towards the blonde once again. She placed her hands on either side of Tara’s head against the chair’s headrest and leaned forward, leaving only a few inches between their faces. “You’re pretty irresistible.”

Tara smiled up at her and threaded the fingers on her good hand through Willow’s hair, pulling her in until their lips met. Each girl sighed into the contact, both missing the touch of the other. Willow was trying her hardest to keep the kiss chaste but finding it very difficult as Tara pulled her closer and opened her mouth, running her tongue along Willow’s lips. Unsure of what to do, Willow allowed the kiss to deepen for the briefest of moments before pulling away with a gentle smile.

This wasn’t the first time she’d been in the predicament with Tara in the last week and a half. In fact every time they were alone she found herself pulling away before things got too intense, afraid she might inadvertently hurt the blonde with one wrong move.

“Will…” There was a distinct whine in Tara’s voice as she stared at her girlfriend, disbelief in her eyes. “Come on. I’m all minty fresh over here.”

“I just don’t want to hurt you Tara. You’re still healing and-”

“Will I’m not made of glass! Come on. I miss you.”

“I miss you too but… can’t we wait until your safely home for proper smoochies?”

“Fine,” Tara relented with a pout. She stared up at her girlfriend, her lip protruding, eyes pleading in the best impersonation of a puppy dog look Willow had seen in a while. She smiled back at the blonde’s antics and, unable to resist, leaned forward to leave a brief but meaningful kiss on Tara’s lips.

“Oh, excuse me, I didn’t know you had company. Hello Willow,” Barbara said as she strode into the room, her hands full of paperwork. The two girls broke apart, both blushing at having been caught but the jubilant nurse ignored their embarrassment. “I won’t take up much of your time though sweetie. I just want to go over these with you and then you’ll be on your way.”

“Really?” Tara’s smile lit up the room, infecting the two other women with similar smiles. Barbara just nodded and pulled a chair up to the eager patient.

“Want me to go find your parents to let them know?” Willow asked, already stepping towards the door.

“C-Can you stick around?” Tara asked, her face hopeful.

“Sure.” Willow quickly moved back to the edge of the bed, leaning against it as she watched Barbara go over Tara’s medications and the instructions the blonde would need to follow to keep up with her quick paced healing. She tried to listen so she could be as helpful to Tara as possible but found she kept getting distracted from just watching the blonde. She watched her brow furrow as Barbara talked, the left corner of her lips twitching as more and more information was thrown at her. Nervously, she scratched at her upper right arm, careful to avoid the sling that she still had to wear for another week.

Willow took in the full sight of her girl. She had to admit that Tara looked a thousand times better than she had a week ago. Her bruises and cuts were healing and the stitches had been removed from her forehead. She’s still beautiful.

“Do you have any questions?” Barbara finally asked.

“I don’t think so,” Tara answered, hesitantly looking at the papers in her lap.

“I know it’s overwhelming but you’ll be fine,” Barbara smiled at her reassuringly and gently patted her knee. “So why don’t you go ahead and get dressed and have Willow here take you home to relax.” She smiled once more and quickly left the room, closing the door behind her to give the girls some privacy.

Tara looked up at Willow, a small smile tugging at her lips as she slowly shifted forward in her seat.

“Would you mind taking me home?”

“No. I mean, no, I don’t mind,” Willow said, her tone giddy but within a second her face fell as she remembered something. “But will your family mind? I mean they’re around here somewhere and I’m not sure how happy they’d be if I took you home instead of them. And they’ve been so nice to me, I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes you know?”

“Well maybe you could take me and I can just talk them into c-coming over later to see me?” Tara asked. She stared back at the redhead, her eyes pleading and Willow found herself just nodding along.

“Ok.” Tara smiled again at Willow’s unusually brief answer and slowly stood from the chair, struggling to hold onto the paperwork Barbara had left while grabbing the duffle bag off the floor. “Here, let me help,” Willow said as she reached for the bag, setting it on the bed. “Do you need anything else?” Tara just shook her head as she unzipped the old Nike bag she recognized from Faith’s closet and looked inside to see what her roommate had packed for her. “Ok, well I’ll just be outside then.”

“You’re l-leaving?” Willow turned, her hand poised on the doorknob to see a somewhat distraught looking Tara standing at the side of the bed.

“Well, I just thought you might want some privacy. You know, to change and stuff.”

“Well… c-could you maybe st-stay?” Willow looked at her girlfriend, her head tipped slightly forward, her eyes downcast. If her hair hadn’t been pulled back by a rubber band, Willow imagined it would have been curtaining Tara’s beautiful face. It wasn’t the first time she’d seen the blonde like this but it had definitely been a while.

“Sure… of course I’ll stay.” Willow stepped away from the door and smiled gently. “Do you need some help with your gown?”

“If you don’t mind,” Tara said as she picked at the fabric of her sling. Willow just smiled and moved to the other side of the bed, carefully pulling apart the Velcro that kept the sling in place first. She carefully pulled it off the blonde, setting it on the bed before moving around to Tara’s back and slowly untying the thin hospital gown. She let the flaps of the gown fall open, the uneven ties hanging down the sides and took in the sight of her lover’s perfectly unmarred backside. Her eyes travelled the planes of the alabaster skin she knew was soft and warm. Gently she pushed the gown forward, the fabric swiftly sliding off Tara’s body with a faint whoosh as it hit the floor, Tara shivered as he body was assaulted by the cool air in the room Without a second though, Willow stepped closer, placing one hand on Tara’s hip and the other on her good arm as she pressed her front against the blonde’s back.

“Are you ok?”

“Yeah. Just chilly.”

“Well let’s get you dressed,” Willow said as she reached into the duffle bag on the bed, pulling out a worn white t-shirt and a blue pair of UCLA sweats. She turned the blonde in her arms, sweats in hand and stopped cold when she saw the bandage running along Tara’s sternum. She actually hadn’t seen Tara out of her hospital gown until this point and the size of the bandage combined with the yellowing bruises and healing cuts along Tara’s torso shocked her. Tara followed Willow’s stunned gaze, self-consciously crossing her left arm across her body, trying unsuccessfully to hide the damage. This was enough to bring Willow’s attention back to her face.

“N-Not exactly r-ready for swimsuit s-season huh?” Tara said, her eyes fixed on the tile beneath her feet.

“Hey…” Willow gently placed her hand beneath the blonde’s chin and gently lifted, forcing the blue eyes there to meet her own. “You’re beautiful.” Tara smiled weakly and allowed herself to be encircled by Willow’s strong arms. She relaxed against the redhead, savoring the feeling of Willow’s soft hand stroking up and down her back.

Willow let her girlfriend rest against her for another moment before pushing back with a reassuring smile and then going straight into mother-mode. She kneeled down to help Tara into her sweats, following with the t-shirt at a much slower and careful pace. Sitting Tara back into her chair, Willow knelt in front of her, sliding on a pair of socks and tennis shoes, making sure the laces were tied tight before stepping away. She grabbed Tara’s sling off the bed and carefully attached it back on, her eyes focused on each task as it came.

“There, all done.” She turned back to the bed, grabbing the paperwork Barbara had left and putting it into the duffle bag. “Do you need to stop by a pharmacy to get your prescriptions filled or anything?” Willow asked as she continued to gather Tara’s things from around the room. Donnie and John had taken a load to her apartment yesterday, her brother’s car packed with most of the gifts, flowers and balloons from family, friends and co-workers. She made sure the lacy, black chemise Anya had brought was sent home with Faith with instructions for her roommate to ‘hide it so good’ that even Tara wouldn’t be able to find it upon her return to the apartment.

“Yeah. They already sent it over to the one by my apartment. So if you don’t mind-”

“No. We’ll get it on the way,” Willow said with a smile as she stuffed the Nike bag to its breaking point. “Do you want me to pick up anything else?”

“No, I just want to go home and-” A knock sounded on her door and it was cracked open as Carolyn stuck her head into the room.

“Oh, well look at this,” she said as she entered. “So I take it you’re ready to go?” Tara just nodded as she stood up from her chair. “Hello Willow, how are you?”

“Fine. I just stopped by to bring Tara some non-hospital gown clothes.”

“Yeah, mom about that… I w-was thinking that Willow c-could take me home and m-maybe you guys could just come over later?” Tara asked. Carolyn smiled gently at her daughter, taking immediate notice of the blonde’s stutter as her eyes shifted briefly to a hopeful looking Willow and back again.

“I think that’s a great idea,” she said, taking in the beaming smiles from both girls. “How about you go get settled in and we’ll stop by a little later with dinner?”

“That would be great mom.” Tara stepped towards her mother, wrapping the shorter woman in a one armed hug.

“Ok. Do you need help getting down to the car?” Carolyn asked, stepping back but still keeping one hand on her daughter.

“I think we can manage.” Tara turned to Willow who just nodded and hefted the busting bag onto her shoulder.

“Well drive safe and we’ll see you around six?” Tara just nodded and smiled as her mother left the room.

“You ready?” Willow asked as she stepped towards the door.

“I was ready a week ago,” Tara said as she reached for Willow’s hand and allowed herself to be pulled out of the room.

It was incredible how amazing this felt; how much she’d missed it. The sense of security it gave her was almost overwhelming.

“Are you ok?”

“Huh?”

“I asked if you were ok. That’s like the fourth time you’ve sighed in the last five minutes,” Tara said, turning her head so she could look up at her girlfriend.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just happy you’re home,” Willow answered, brushing her lips against Tara’s forehead. “Are you ok?”

Tara just nodded and laid back against Willow’s chest once more, her attention refocused on the Willow’s laptop. The redhead had conveniently thought to bring it along with her and it was now serving as their entertainment for the afternoon, watching season four of Bunny the Vampire Slayer. They’d been lying on Tara’s bed together since they’d arrived at the apartment, Willow sitting with her back to the headboard and Tara leaning back against her, loving the softness that was her Willow-pillow.

Willow looked down at the top of the blonde’s head, smiling as she took in the scent of Tara’s shampoo. I never thought it could feel this good to have her in my arms, Willow thought as she used one hand to entwine her fingers with Tara’s and carefully rubbed along the blonde’s waist with her other where her t-shirt met her sweats. She smiled as Tara laughed at one of the infamously delivered puns the show was known for and placed a soft kiss against the crown of the other girl’s head, keeping her face there a for long moment before she felt Tara turn again and look up at her, eyes shining.

“What are you doing back there?” she teased.

“Sorry. I just missed proper snuggles I guess.” Tara carefully rolled to her left side, laying her head on Willow’s shoulder as she settled back in.

“Me too. Unfortunately, we don’t have much time left.”

“What? What do you mean we don’t have much time left?” The panic in Willow’s voice was unmistakable.

“Will, it’s after five. My mom said they’d be here around six,” Tara said with a smile, laughing at the redhead’s alarmed tone. “So we don’t have much time left, at least for this round of snuggles.”

“Oh. Well we could always pick it up again after they leave. I mean, not that I don’t want them to come or that I’m like going to kick them out right after they walk in the door. No, because that would be rude. I mean, they just want to see you and spend time with you and they don’t get to do that a lot. I mean, except for this last week and a half. Because they live so far away and you’re here with a job and stuff so these particular circumstances are a little different so they should take advantage of being able to see you and spend time with you and I think that’s great. I’m not trying to Bogart your time or anything you know. I know you want to see them too and they should stay for a while. They’re just trying to take care of you and stuff you know. And-”

She finally stopped the surge of words escaping her mouth when she felt Tara’s mouth gently nipping at her neck. Swallowing hard, she allowed the blonde a few more seconds of leisure kisses before looking down into her mischievous blue eyes.

“Sorry. I’d normally kiss you on the lips to stop you but I couldn’t reach from here.”

“Oh… yeah that makes sense. Sorry, I just meant…” Willow trailed off, blushing a little in embarrassment at her ramble. Tara saw right through it.

“Hey, no, no sorrys here. You know I love your babble-y train of thought. And it’s fine. We’ll spend a little time with them over dinner and then when they go home, cuddle-time can resume. How’s that sound?”

“Amazing.” Willow smiled down at the girl in her arms before leaning down and brushing her lips against the blonde’s. “How are you feeling? Do you want to take some more medicine yet? It’s been four hours since your last dose.”

“No I’m ok. I want to wait a little longer,” Tara said, burrowing into Willow’s shoulder and sighing as she felt herself being wrapped into Willow’s strong embrace. “So are you going back to work Monday?”

“Yeah. I kind of have to. I mean, I’ve been working from home at night but there’s a lot of meetings and stuff coming up this week that I have to attend.”

“What else do you have planned?”

“Nothing. Well except I did promise Buffy and Cordelia a dinner before Cordelia goes back to New York.”

“Oh God Will, I totally forgot she was here! I’m so sorry. I totally took up like all of your t-time with her, didn’t I?”

“No, don’t worry about it. It’s fine. She totally understands. She might not have a few years ago but trust me, she’s fine. I’ll see her again this winter so it’s no big deal.”

“Are you s-sure?”

“Positive.” Willow took a deep breath and placed another soft kiss against Tara’s forehead. “She’s actually a pretty amazing friend. Almost as amazing as Buffy.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.” Again Willow took another deep breath, getting ready to dip her toe into the cold ocean. “I told you we’ve been friends for like a zillion years. It was always weird because she was super popular all through school. And she was still friends with Buffy and me, even though we were pretty much considered the biggest losers in school.” She felt Tara shift her head to look up at her but continued with the story, staring straight ahead. “I never knew why she was like that, at least until we all were a little older.” She paused for a moment, feeling Tara’s fingers, running along her palm, tracing the lines there. “See, Cordelia grew up in a really wealthy family. I told you her parents weren’t always around but she did have an older sister that she really looked up to. Claudia was five years older than us and was one of those kids that could just fall in with any crowd and belong. Everyone loved her.

“One day after school I was sitting there on the curb, waiting for my parents to pick me up. I think this was first or second grade. I can’t really remember now but Claudia had come over to our school to get Cordelia after soccer practice. And they were waiting for their ride too. Their parents were out of town for something so their housekeeper was coming to pick them up. We were sitting there for about twenty minutes or so, and in that whole time, they never said a word to me. But Claudia kept glancing over at me. I kept thinking that she was going to come over and make fun of me for my outfit or shove me around. Not uncommon territory for me. But she never did. And when their housekeeper finally showed up, Claudia walked over and asked my name. Then she asked if they could give me a ride home. Honestly, I was still expecting some sort of attack once I got in the car but it was getting late and I was pretty sure my parents had forgotten about me. So I agreed. And then they just took me home and that was it. It was actually kind of anti-climactic since I was so sure I wasn’t going to leave that car unscathed. I know that was Monday because they actually gave me a ride home every day that week. And every night, I’d get out of the car and Claudia would smile at me.

“The next week at school, I was sitting at lunch with Buffy and out of the blue Cordelia came up and sat down with us.” Willow giggled a little at as she drove a little further down memory lane. “God you should’ve seen Buffy’s face when Cordelia sat down next us and started talking to us like it was an everyday occurrence. From then on, she was just always kind of around. I mean she was still the queen of the popular kids but every night it was me or Buffy that she called. It was like that all through elementary school and junior high. And then in high school, we actually started going out to different places with her. We weren’t necessarily cool by association but everyone just kind of accepted it. It was really weird. But it wasn’t until our junior year of high school that we actually got the courage to ask her why she kept us around.” There was another long pause and Tara waited patiently for Willow to continue, understanding that the redhead needed a moment.

“Buffy brought it up one night when we were at Cordelia’s house. And she got really nervous, which was weird and just… so not Cordelia. I think she was trying to think of a little white lie to spare my feelings but then decided to come clean. Apparently she’d asked Claudia why she was being so nice to me that week and Claudia explained to her that some kids just weren’t that fortunate. That not everyone grew up with money and friends and stuff. But some kids didn’t even grow up with parents that loved them.” It wasn’t until these words escaped her mouth that she realized a few tears had escaped down her cheeks. She quickly tried to wipe them away before Tara could see but realized it was too late when she saw the blonde’s tender gaze fixed on her. Looking away for a moment with a deep sigh, she continued, deciding that she’d come this far, she might as well finish it. “Buffy accused her of pitying me and Cordelia admitted that at first she did. But after a few days of hanging out with us, she actually wasn’t doing it anymore because she pitied me or because she wanted her sister to think she was doing something cool. She was still hanging out with us because she actually wanted to. I mean, we’d been friends for years by then so they both were well aware of what my home life consisted of but it was still kind of shocking to hear, you know?” She glanced over at Tara, seeing the understanding in her lover’s blue eyes, giving her the strength to continue. “Anyway I was kind of upset at first. So I just kind of withdrew from them both over the next few days. I tried to just fade away because I was embarrassed. But they wouldn’t let me. They stayed by my side the whole time and eventually, I realized I needed them. They were my real family.”

“They still are,” Tara said, keeping her eyes trained on Willow, gently holding the redhead’s hand. Willow nodded, wiping away a few of her tears. Tara slowly sat up, turning to look at her. She reached up and placed her hand against Willow’s cheek, brushing her thumb along the soft skin there as a few more tears escaped quietly. She leaned forward and rested her forehead against Willow’s allowing the redhead a few minutes to compose herself, occasionally pressing her lips against her forehead and temples. Willow finally opened her eyes and stared back at Tara, the kindness there in the blonde’s eyes threatening to overwhelm her. “Are you ok?” Tara asked.

“Yeah,” Willow said quietly. “I just haven’t thought about that in a long time.”

“Thank you for telling me.”

“I’m going to tell you Tara,” Willow said after another long pause, her sentence full of meaning. “I just… I kind of don’t want to throw it all out there all at once. It’s just too…”

“I get it,” Tara said when Willow failed to finish her sentence. “It’s a lot. And that’s ok. I understand. We’ll get there when we get there, just one step at a time.” Willow nodded and allowed herself to be held by the blonde, her left arm wrapping around the redhead’s shoulders, squeezing gently to let the redhead know that she didn’t always have to be the strong one.

“Thank you,” Willow whispered, her face buried in the crook of Tara’s neck.

“Any time.” Tara turned and left a soft kiss on Willow’s forehead. She rested her lips there for a long moment, giving the redhead some time to compose herself. “Baby, I’m not going to pretend to understand what you’re telling me or what you choose to tell me in the future, but I’m here ok. You’re an amazing woman Will. And nothing you can tell me is going to change the way I feel about you.”

“You can’t be so sure.” Willow sniffled as she lifted her head off of Tara’s shoulder and looked deep into the blonde’s eyes.

“Yeah I can. Will, I’m crazy about you. Whatever you’ve been through, it’s only made you stronger. It’s made you the woman that you are today.”

Knock, knock, knock

“Damn it! Is it six already?” Tara looked at the bedside clock and saw it was five minutes after. She looked back to Willow, her eyes filled with frustration. Willow just looked back at her, finding the furrow in the blonde’s brow utterly adorable.

“It’s ok,” she said. “We’ll finish this up after dinner.” Tara just nodded and let go of her girlfriend, allowing Willow to help her off the bed and out of the bedroom.

Tara sighed, staring up at the ceiling in her bedroom, waiting for Willow to return to the bed. Dinner had dragged on for much longer than she had hoped it would and her family had only left after she had started to fall asleep on the couch as they chatted around her about Donnie’s girls, the family ranch and Willow’s job.

“You ok sweetie?” Willow asked as she came into the bedroom, closing the door behind her. She climbed into the empty side of the bed, slipping under the covers and stared down at Tara, her face etched with concern. “Are you hurting? Do you need something?”

“No Will, I’m fine,” Tara said as she rolled onto her left side. “I was just waiting for you.”

“Well I’m right here,” Willow said as she lay down and carefully wrapped her arm around the blonde.

“Thanks for staying tonight," Tara said through a huge yawn. Willow smiled and leaned in placing her lips gently against Tara’s.

“You couldn’t keep me away.”

An Everyday Life

Last edited by beautiful_love on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: An Everyday Life (Update 1/28/12)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:45 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dibs! :whip

Okay, so what don't I love about this update? Nothing. The whole chapter is like one big comforting hug. Even when Willow shares a little bit of her family history, it's like pulling out of the hug only to be brought back in by Tara's strong, though healing, arms. Great, great job. Your use of description is on point and as the reader you feel right there with the girls as they're in the hospital and later at Tara's place.

I think it was a good choice not to have Willow give away all the details of her past right away. It just feels right for them as the couple you've described them to be. It allows them to get comfortable with each stage of trust they enter as more knowledge is shared. It does make me wonder though, did Willow ever have a serious girlfriend before? It seems that she would have had other romantic relationships that were meaningful in her life and I wonder if she just never shared her past before or was rejected for it, which explains her hesitancy to tell Tara. Of, course, I'm memory loss girl, so maybe you did explain this in the beginning, but if not, just wondering.

Great update. Can't wait for more!

Last edited by True_Love on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 368 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next