The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Lightning Strike
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:32 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Odd (since I've written 3 or 4 myself,) I usually skim over the explicit passages (maybe because I'm usually reading at work *grin) but this time I didn't ... I wanted to see how it hung together and did it ever. I can see how Willow's ultra-resposniveness can be another "symptom" of what she's going thru. Well handled.
On the whole, I'm glad *this* version of S-6 doesn't include a "Tabula Rasa."
In defense of the song, I don't think it *only* refers to the Lethe's Bramble spell....
And given they live there and have every right to be downstairs, I can imagine why Buffy was put out by it, and hope that thakes a different rajectory as well .

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:35 pm 
3. Flaming O

simply amazing :pinky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:02 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
SMUT!!!!!! You did it! OMG!

No need to worry, you used it a way that was realistic without being smut for the sake of smut. Especially since everything is all linked together and makes perfect sense.

Think I know where you're going with Buffy's extra absence, and I like that her behavior wasn't just brushed off, it was noticed.

Nicely done, you will be getting your Smut Writers Guild card in the mail. ;)

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:52 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

No more being self-conscious, Maggie. That was absolutely lovely. It was perfectly natural and true to their characters that comfort would lead to passion. I really look forward to the next chapter!

"We're in love. We're lovers. We're lesbian, gay-type lovers."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Nice! I think this last chapter is really well-written, offers an interesting spin on the withdrawal, and has a hot sex scene. :)

I think you're doing some interesting stuff with the magic withdrawal that I haven't seen before, and I really like it. I like that it's kinda canon, with a (postive) twist.

Hoping for more (of all of the above).

-she

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:07 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Great update. You wrote a fantastic sex scene. It was very hot!
Can't wait to read what you have in store for us next.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:49 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Wow, you wrote smut. You. Wrote smut. It seems natural and believable, so I'm not sure why you had fear. The withdrawl is so bad she skipped class? That's worrying. Better before it gets worse, after two weeks, is it on the road to better? .... I feel like this post makes no sense. :paranoid

My heart and I have wandered aimlessly beneath the Weeping Willows, searching for the sun. - Hayley Westenra, "My heart and I"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:42 pm 

zampsa19752001: Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! Yeah, that's pretty much it :P Thank you for reading!

Mrs. Pineapple: Haha, yep... I did... LonelyTara has been asking for me too for the last few stories and it just seemed to fit here, so... I'm glad it was realistic at least :) And you can't keep them arguing, that's just sad! I'm so glad you're reading this!

DaddyCatALSO: Well, I'll take it as a complement. Thank you! Tabula Rasa was a very funny episode, but it had to go this time :)
No, you're right, the song isn't only about the spell that she was under - and until she realizes the truth, was, I'd say, entirely about being in love, but for that scene I wanted them contrasting the secrets that the others are hiding and their renewed truthfulness with each other...
Did you mean 'can't imagine why Buffy was put out by it'? because they do live there and have every right to be downstairs :) Buffy was just caught off guard and may or may not have been where they think she was... and that will be addressed in this chapter :)

WR/TM: Well, thank you!

vampyregurl73: Lol, I love that that's people's reactions :P I was nervous about that, it fitting in the story and not just being smut so I would have smut in a story (finally!) :P Yup, Buffy's weird behavior will be brought up again (and in this chapter!) Lol, I get to be in the guild? SWEET!

LonelyTara: :) No more being self-conscious? What am I going to do with all my free time now? Thank you, Robin! I'm glad you liked it even for the ?th time that you've read it :)

mishki: Well, awesome! Thank you! I'm glad you like what I'm doing with it! Canon with a twist is kind of my niche :) Hopefully I'll deliver! Thanks so much for reading!

love_2003: Yay! I'm glad you liked it! Hope you enjoy the update!

Promthea128: :D I love that that is people's reactions... (is that good or bad?) I'm glad it was believable! Yeah, I figure that's pretty much a new experience for her - she'd take some time to get feeling better...at least a little bit! Nah, I got it :)

Chapter 5 of 11

Why don't you rest your fragile bones
A minute ago you looked alone
Stop waving your arms you're safe and dry

Willow was whistling the next morning when Buffy came down for breakfast, the Slayer glaring at her friend as she slumped into a seat at the kitchen island. "What's got you so cheerful?" she asked grumpily.

Willow gave her a look over her shoulder while she waited for her toast to pop. "Just woke up on the right side of the bed, I guess."

Buffy leaned forward, her head coming to rest on her crossed arms. "I thought you said last night that you couldn't sleep. What's that about?" Willow stopped her breakfast preparations and her back grew stiff. "Is everything okay, Will?" The witch turned to look at her without speaking. "I know I haven't really been around that much lately, but I can tell that something is going on."

"I gave up magic," Willow said. "Well, I'm trying at least. Tara's been helping me." Her toast popped behind her but she didn't turn to look. "And what have you been so busy doing lately?" she asked hesitantly, not sure Buffy would tell her the truth.

The Slayer studied the pattern on the top of the kitchen island without speaking for a long moment. "Will…" She wanted to tell her, wanted to tell her best friend what she'd been doing in the dark with Spike, but she couldn't force the words out. "It's nothing."

Willow sighed, knowing it was a lie. "Whatever it is, you can tell me, Buffy." She met her friend's eyes. "You're my best friend. Always." She snagged her toast with two fingers and turned to leave the kitchen. "You can trust me. Whenever you're ready to talk."

She was almost out of earshot when Buffy spoke. "Even if I'm sleeping with Spike?"

Willow was back in the doorway a second later, obviously struggling to keep her expression from collapsing into shock. "It's fine, Will. You couldn't hate me more than I hate myself over it," Buffy sighed, head dropping.

"No," Willow protested. "I don't-I'd never…" She drew in a deep breath. "I could never hate you, Buffy. Just…how did this happen?"

Buffy groaned, not lifting her face. "It started after Giles left. I was depressed, and lonely, and I couldn't talk to you guys, and he was there…" Her head turned, but her eyes were closed. "How about you? What brought on the magic giving-up?"

Willow shrugged, taking a seat on the other side of the counter from her friend. "So, we're sharing the misery, are we?"

"Yep, now spill."

"Tara-I, I was scared about how much magic I was using. She got scared, and then I did once I saw how fast I needed it. I didn't want to be like that anymore, so I stopped."

Buffy blinked, thinking. "But you're still in withdrawal?"

Willow nodded, twirling her toast in her fingers. "Yeah. It's worse at night. That's why I couldn't sleep last night."

"And Tara helps?" She smirked teasingly. "I just bet she does." In spite of her expression, her voice was flat.

Willow slung a piece of the toast at her friend, laughing despite herself. "Yeah, she really does. She's been teaching me how to connect with the life inside of things, inside everything…"

Buffy raised an eyebrow at her. "Is this another sex thing? Because we could be over-sharing…"

Willow rolled her eyes and another corner of the toast was thrown at Buffy. "No, not a sex thing. It's…hard to describe, but it's something I was missing. Magic isn't just potions and spells, it's everywhere."

"And Tara's helping you touch it?" Buffy asked, laughing when Willow shot her a look. "Not like that," she clarified. "Just assume I'm not being a perve."

"Until we get to the part where you're sleeping with Spike," Willow teased, surprised when Buffy just looked dejected. "Okay, sorry. I didn't mean that, Buffy."

"No, you're not wrong… With Spike, it's not good…I mean, he's good, but he's so not good, and I don't like him, but I can't seem to stop myself from going to him." She looked up. "Think Tara can help rehab me too?"

Willow blinked, one hand reaching out to her friend. "Of course we'll help you, Buffy." She took a deep breath. "How'd it get so bad?" She didn't mean to ask the question, but once it was out she realized that she desperately wanted an answer.

Buffy swallowed hard, meeting her eyes for a brief moment before she looked away. "I don't know, Will." Her eyes were haunted as she finally looked up again. "I feel like I only feel something when I'm with him. I'm trying, but I can't forget what it was like…there, and everything here grates and is loud, and violent, and it hurts." She laughed bitterly. "And I can't even talk to you about it, my best friend, because you did it to me!" Willow winced, the accusation stinging even though she knew it was true.

"Buffy…"

The Slayer shook her head, one hand rising to stop her words. "I know you just wanted to help. I get that, really." She took a deep breath and let her head fall back onto her crossed arms. "It's just hard, being here. Spike makes it easier somehow." She closed her eyes, breath shaky. "And then I leave him and it's worse than it was before."

Willow frowned contemplatively, sympathetic to her friend's plight, but not sure of the best way to help her. "Well, I don't know if seeing me would help you when you're feeling bad, but you could go out with Dawn and Tara," she suggested hesitantly.

"I haven't been very good company lately," Buffy admitted, sighing morosely. "Wouldn't want to drag you guys down too. Although, I doubt that any of y'all want to put anything in my…"

"Okay, stop," Willow interrupted quickly, not sure she was up for hearing about Buffy and Spike's sexcapades. "I know we're sharing the misery, but we might have just found the line." Buffy gave her a weak smile and the hacker pointed at her warningly. "And I don't care if you are the Slayer, Buffy Summers, and you're having a rough time right now and you're trying weird sex stuff, and I can appreciate that, but if you put one finger on my girlfriend…"

Tara came in at that moment, arching her eyebrows as Willow trailed off. The redhead's green eyes were guiltily shifting between the two women and Tara cleared her throat. "Good morning," the witch greeted them, pecking Willow's cheek before collecting both of the coffee mugs on the island and moving around to refill them.

"Good morning, sweetness," Willow responded, smiling cheerfully. "You look beautiful today."

Tara tried not to but couldn't help smiling, glad that her back was to the Slayer while she blushed brightly, remembering the night before. "You too," she said when she finally turned back around, pressing another kiss to the top of Willow's hair as she passed out the refilled coffees. "Good morning, Buffy. I hope you slept well last night." She collected a cup of coffee for herself and took a sip, feeling deliciously sore but tired after her lack of sleep the night before. She knew the Slayer couldn't be faring much better, though she was sure that Buffy's time had been spent much less pleasurably than her own had been.

The Slayer looked unnerved by the simple sentiment, exchanging looks with Willow. "Oh, um, not really, actually," she confessed in a surprising burst of honesty. Tara frowned in concern and Buffy shrugged, giving Willow another look. "I wasn't slaying last night. I was out with Spike…" She hesitated, grimacing as Tara's eyes widened. "Or I was staying in with Spike, rather."

Willow met Tara's eyes, seeing her own initial shock reflected in her lover's blues. Tara's gaze shifted back to Buffy as the Slayer spoke again. "Willow…Will told me you've been helping her with the magic stuff." The witch swallowed, glancing back at Willow. "I was kind of hoping you could help me too."

Tara looked even more surprised, putting her coffee mug down as she leaned back against the counter behind her. "Um, well of course I'll do anything I can to help, but I don't know how much I'll…" She swallowed hard, nodding. "Whatever you need, Buffy," she finished, pushing her discomfort with the idea of Buffy and Spike together out of her mind.

The Slayer nodded as well, pushing herself up from her seat. "Thanks," she said genuinely. "Now, I think I woke up a little too early today. I think I'll take a walk or something." She drained her refreshed coffee and backed out of the kitchen. "I'll see you guys later." Willow started to speak and Buffy spun and waved over her shoulder. "I'll stay out of the graveyard, don't worry."

Willow slumped in her seat, blinking back tears of frustration while Tara took the Slayer's seat across from her girlfriend. "Whoa," Tara sighed, taking a long sip from her own coffee as her head turned to watch Buffy's exit. "Buffy and Spike…"

Willow nodded, turning her head sideways to rest on her crossed arms and effectively hide the tear she let slide. "You'll help her, right?"

"Of course I will," Tara answered. "You both remember that I'm not going to be much good for the boy problems, right?"

The redhead laughed, not turning to meet her eyes. "Oh, believe me, I won't forget that, lover." She tried to surreptitiously wipe her eyes on her sleeve before she turned her head. It took a moment longer, but she managed a weak smile. "I don't know if I'm up for school today," she confessed.

Tara frowned, reaching forward with one hand to scratch lightly through Willow's hair. "I'll talk to your professors and get your notes for you," she said sympathetically. "And I've got class until four, but I could come home at lunch if you want some soup or something."

Willow laughed weakly, interrupting her. "You're beyond sweet, but I'll be fine. I've got some reading to catch up on, and maybe I'll go wild later and take a nap." She smiled more naturally. "Someone wore me out last night."

"I have less sympathy for you on that," Tara said with a blush. "I was also awake most of last night, but I have to go to classes today." She stood up and took their coffee mugs to the sink. "Will you wash these today?"

"It's the least I can do," Willow agreed, yawning.

Tara leaned over to kiss the top of her head, rubbing her shoulders gently. "My poor sleepy one. Are you sure you don't want me to come home and check on you? It's not a problem…"

"No, you're already helping me out today. You've already done more for me…"

"Stop it," Tara said flatly. "You know the rule. No references to you owing me anything in regards to helping you. You do, however, owe me a kiss. It's only fair."

The rule had been implemented after Willow's continued guilt had led Tara to issuing a moratorium on Willow saying anything that encouraged the idea that she was a charity case that Tara had decided to undertake. The punishment for any slips, no matter how slight, was a kiss.

Willow lifted her head and sat up, turning on her seat. "That is the rule," she agreed, biting her lip. One of Tara's hands brushed her cheek and she leaned into the touch as Tara kissed her softly. It was a chaste kiss, slow and soft, Tara's fingers curling and relaxing in the redhead's hair.

Tara yawned helplessly as they separated, covering her mouth with one hand. "Don't apologize," she said preemptively. "Being sleepy is a side effect when you spend more time having sex than sleeping at night."

Willow choked on her coffee, pounding her chest with one fist, surprised to hear Tara be so candid. "Tara! You vixen!"

"Have a good day, sweetie," Tara said calmly. "Call me if you need anything and I'll come home, okay?"

Willow could only blink and nod as the blonde let herself out of the house. The redheaded hacker slumped back in her seat, taking a deep breath. She'd been awake for two whole hours. A rest in the quiet dimness of her bedroom seemed like just the thing to do next and she pushed herself to her feet, dragging herself upstairs after she washed the coffee cups like Tara had requested, leaving them on the rack to dry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:47 pm 

Dibs! I'm psyched to have my first official non-beta dibs on this fic! Yay! Maggie, I suggest that you fill all the free time you have now that you're no longer self-conscious writing more wonderful fic (with delicious love scenes, of course). I really do enjoy this piece so much, the shifts in relationship are so crucial.

Quote:
Willow blinked, one hand reaching out to her friend. "Of course we'll help you, Buffy." She took a deep breath. "How'd it get so bad?" She didn't mean to ask the question, but once it was out she realized that she desperately wanted an answer.

This moment hit me so hard the first time I read this, and it hit me tonight too. It's so much more rich and meaningful to have these friends, who have gone through so much together, find their way to honesty and compassion, helping one another, than anything that happened in cannon. The difference, Tara of course. She's all about honesty and compassion. Keep it up, Maggie. Beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:09 am 
9. Gay Now

Yay for great update-y goodness... I wonder how Tara is going to help Buffy with Spike problem... I hope Willow doesn't have a withdraw induced hornyness attack during the day...

Posting while nude improves your mood...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:12 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
I was so flustered over the sex scene in the previous chapter, that I completely forgot to comment!

So, that particular chapter was great and kudos on the sex scene! It was prefect.

~~~~~~

Quote:
Okay, stop," Willow interrupted quickly, not sure she was up for hearing about Buffy and Spike's sexcapades. "I know we're sharing the misery, but we might have just found the line." Buffy gave her a weak smile and the hacker pointed at her warningly. "And I don't care if you are the Slayer, Buffy Summers, and you're having a rough time right now and you're trying weird sex stuff, and I can appreciate that, but if you put one finger on my girlfriend…"

I definitely would not want to be on the receiving end of a jealous Willow! I don't even think that Buffy would be safe.

I'm really excited about this story and hoping that the 'trio' don't show up.

Looking forward to your next update!!!

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:46 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Maggie,

Love the story. One of the things I treasure the most is the clear sense of them as a couple, living together. The deals, the compromises, and most of all the love underpinning all that.

Quote:
"Stop it," Tara said flatly. "You know the rule. No references to you owing me anything in regards to helping you. You do, however, owe me a kiss. It's only fair."

The rule had been implemented after Willow's continued guilt had led Tara to issuing a moratorium on Willow saying anything that encouraged the idea that she was a charity case that Tara had decided to undertake. The punishment for any slips, no matter how slight, was a kiss.

Willow lifted her head and sat up, turning on her seat. "That is the rule," she agreed, biting her lip. One of Tara's hands brushed her cheek and she leaned into the touch as Tara kissed her softly. It was a chaste kiss, slow and soft, Tara's fingers curling and relaxing in the redhead's hair.

Also, the last sentence describing the chaste kiss are so sensuous yet so palpably real - you can almost feel that kiss!

Finally, got a kick out of Tara's matter of fact comment about more sex than sleep and Willow's rather shocked reaction - FUN! FUN! FUN!

I know there's angst ahead and I'm good with it, but humor weaves into life and it's good to get both.

Keep it coming!

Ariel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:39 am 

LonelyTara: Yay! I didn't realize that you didn't have a dibs yet :( Lol, I'll have to see what I can do about that :) I'm fairly sure you'll like the follow up to this one :P It's all flirting and teasing each other... I'm really glad you're enjoying this one, in spite of having read it already!
Yeah, I completely hate how their friendship goes in season 6 - of course friends are going to fight, but you can't fix it from one side, both sides have to do something - and it's not like they weren't having similar struggles that year - talking about it could have helped them!
As always, thank you so much for the encouragement and support!

zampsa19752001: :) Thanks... Tara will help Buffy, but Willow's a little distracted during this day, unfortunately. Hope you like it!

Finey_McFine: lol, well I'll take that as a complement? :D No, not even Buffy is safe from jealous!Willow! I'm so glad that you're excited about the story! I hope you enjoy the update and thanks so much for reading!

Ariel: Ariel, thank you! I'm glad that's coming through. They were always the most solid couple for that on the show, so I like carrying that into the story - their relationship wasn't just accented by battle after battle - it was their day to day life that we got more of than the others - like Willow taking care of Tara after Glory, or them making breakfast for Dawn on the first day of school...
:) I'm glad you liked it! And I thought Tara taking the frank and honest role for once would be funny! lol, I'm glad you're good with the angst because I can't promise it's not coming :) But I'm glad there's still some funny bits that you like!
Thanks so much for reading, Ariel!

Chapter 6 of 11

These accidents of faith and nature
They tend to stick in the spokes of you
But every now and then the trend bucks
And you're repaired by more than glue

Amy the rat was chirping and squeaking wildly in her cage as soon as Willow entered the room and the witch stumbled over, cursing as she knocked the container of food to the floor in the dark. As she was standing up though, she noticed that Amy had apparently written something with her feet in the woodchips lining the floor of the cage, as well as spilling a lot of them onto the carpet.

"Think you're being creative, do you?" she complained to the rat as she clicked on the light. "What you're really doing is making a mess!" She frowned as she noticed that the words that had been spelled out in the cage were familiar and she sounded them out without thinking about it.

She realized what she'd done as the cage exploded, the metal grate that had been the front of the cage hitting her and knocking her back. Wood chips and dust were scattered everywhere and Willow coughed as she sat up, waving the dust from in front of her face. She dropped flat back on her back a moment later, groaning as she realized that she'd done a spell, the magic rejoicing inside her, buzzing under her skin. This was going to make everything so much worse to go back to living without it again.

She sat up again quickly as the groan was echoed. The dust had cleared somewhat, and she gaped as she realized that Amy the rat was a rat no longer, but instead was human again. If she had stumbled off the wagon, at least the spell had been successful. But apparently, Amy's clothes hadn't come back with her. One scrambling hand behind her found the blanket folded at the foot of the bed and pulled it down. "Amy?" she asked hesitantly. "Can you hear me?" She could barely concentrate long enough to speak for trying to ignore the burning of the magic, every spell she'd ever learned clamoring in her brain, begging her self-control to let them go.

Willow shook her head as Amy answered, not hearing the words themselves. "You look as bad as I feel," Amy said, looking at her and pulling the blanket out of the witch's shaky hand to cover herself.

Willow blinked, shaking her head again to clear it. "Thanks," she croaked dryly.

"Thank you," Amy responded. "It's about time you got me back to normal. How much time do we have until prom? I'm going to need a dress!"

Willow's eyes widened as she realized what had happened. "Oh, um…maybe you should take a shower or something and we'll talk after," she suggested distractedly, looking around the wreck in her room. "I'll get you something to wear," she said as the newly restored witch glanced down at herself.

The redhead got to her feet quickly, finding some clothes in drawers and leading Amy to the bathroom, the other girl looking around the room in fascination. Willow reminded her how to use the shower knobs, excusing herself rapidly as Amy dropped the blanket uncaringly, not needing modesty as a mouse.

Willow paced rapidly outside the bathroom, her head pounding. Her hands were shaking worse than ever before and she couldn't stop walking for fear that she would give in to the almost overwhelming urge to cast, to throw away everything she'd been working on, everything she was trying to save.

Her eyes caught sight of a framed picture on the dresser, a picture of herself and Tara from one of their dates at the Bronze, and she tried to calm down. She dismissed the idea of calling Tara, not wanting to interrupt yet another day in her beloved's life. And Amy would likely be distraction enough once she got out of the shower and Willow had to explain where three years of her life had gone. Determined to do something useful, she collected the larger pieces of the cage debris and found the vacuum in the hall closet.

The shower turned off, but Amy didn't venture out and Willow knocked tentatively after a few long minutes. The former rat looked frightened of the vacuum and the hacker tucked it out of sight and ushered her scared friend to the bed. "Are you hungry or something?" Willow asked hesitantly, suddenly embarrassed to realize that she'd been about to feed Amy the mouse when this whole thing had started. "I think we have some cheese," she offered.

"No!" Amy yelped, eyes wide. "Anything but cheese!" She brushed curled hands on either side, almost habitually cleaning whiskers she no longer had.

Willow nodded distractedly, waving and leading her down the stairs. Amy was still looking around, fascinated and with eyes jumping around at everything. "Where are we?" she asked. "Everything looks so much bigger!"

The redhead laughed, the sound tired and strained even in her own ears. "This is Buffy's house. We all live here now. Buffy and Dawn and me and Tara being all of us."

Amy frowned, sliding onto a stool. "What about Buffy's mom? And who're Tara and Dawn? Are they new at school?"

Willow drew in a deep breath, reminded suddenly how much had happened since Amy had been gone. "Oh do we have a lot to talk about," Willow said, groaning as she rooted through a drawer looking for the aspirin. "Food first though." She put together some simple sandwiches, but Amy acted as if they were the best thing she'd ever eaten, devouring the first one and accepting Willow's untouched sandwich without putting up even a token argument. Willow didn't care, she honestly wasn't hungry, and she waited silently until Amy finished eating before she started explaining everything that had been happening.

When she finished Amy was fidgeting again, pacing restlessly through the kitchen. "I know it's a lot to take in," Willow sympathized. "We could go out and get some air if you want." The former rodent nodded, following her outside and trailing behind her on the sidewalk, shrinking back from the bigness of everything outside while Willow was trying to hold it together.

They were downtown before Willow had to stop. Amy watched curiously as the redhead steered them into a park and dropped to sit on the ground. Willow reached out with everything she'd been learning from Tara, desperate to quiet her mind. When she opened her eyes, Amy was still giving her a curious look and she groaned. "What?"

"You've gotten stronger," Amy observed. "Have you been going to Rack's?"

Willow frowned, pushing herself to her feet. "Rack's? What's that? No, I mean, I don't really…" She heaved a deep breath. "What's Rack's?"

Amy was grinning at her. "You still do that? The babbling thing…" Willow blushed, pushing her hair back. "And you never went to Rack's? You've gotten that much stronger on your own?" Willow shrugged sheepishly. "Well, you're going to love it," Amy said eagerly. "And it'll feel good to get my hands dirty again."

Willow backpedaled, lifting both hands. "Well, actually I'm playing hooky from school today, so I've got to get home before…"

"You don't want your missus to catch you?" Amy asked, smirking at her.

"Something like that," Willow agreed dryly, her fingers trembling against her leg. "You're welcome to stay at the house if you don't want to go home," she offered. "But I should probably be home when everybody gets back."

Amy shrugged, looking around the park. "I think I'll explore some more, see what else has changed," she said. "Thanks for all the help."

Willow nodded distractedly, feeling her head pounding, her traitorous inner voice telling her that it wouldn't hurt anything to go with Amy to whatever Rack's proved to be. "Yeah, no problem. Maybe I'll see you later."

The walk home took place in a fog, her entire body shaking by the time she got on the porch, hands trembling and teeth chattering. Thankfully, she appeared to have beaten the others home, but she didn't make it up to her room, curling up on the couch instead. She dimly heard someone come in after a while, time passing in a seemingly interminable chunk as she tried to fight the urge to surrender to the magic, but she couldn't lift her head to check who it was.

"Dawn, get some water," Tara ordered as soon as she saw the redhead on the couch, lifting Willow's shoulders into her lap, brushing hair back out of the redhead's face. "Baby, what's wrong? Where does it hurt?" Willow didn't respond, just clenched her teeth and shook her head. "Willow, tell me what's wrong and I'll help you. Whatever happened, it's going to be okay, I promise."

"I didn't do it," Willow grated out. "I didn't do it, Tara."

Dawn got back with the water and she crouched down to hold it steady while Willow gulped it down as if she'd had nothing to drink all day. Tara gave Dawn a look and the teen rushed off to get another glass.

"She wanted me to do it, but I didn't. I mean, I did, once, but I didn't mean to, it was an accident, and I'm so sorry, Tara!"

The blonde frowned, trying to decipher the meaning of her girlfriend's convoluted and contradictory statement. "It's okay," Tara whispered into her ear. "Just slow down. Talk to me, Willow. Tell me what happened. Who is she? Is someone here?"

"No, not here," Willow said, shaking her head rapidly. "She might come back later, tonight."

Tara ignored her pounding heart but was unable to stop herself from holding Willow closer, leaning over to speak into her ear, fingers moving through soft red hair. "W-who is s-she?"

"Amy. She's not a rat anymore," Willow answered, not recognizing Tara's tension as she was still caught up in her struggling resistance to the magic.

Tara blinked at her as Dawn came back with the refilled glass of water. Willow gulped down the water as quickly as she could, breathing hard. "You turned her back?" Tara guessed, her eyes sliding closed. "Oh Willow."

The redhead seemed to come back around, sitting up and narrowly missing hitting Tara's head with her own. She turned on the seat, holding herself up on shaky arms. "Tara, no, it wasn't - it's not like that. It was an accident. It sounds crazy and if I hadn't seen it I wouldn't believe me either, but she wrote the spell on the floor. I just read it. And the magic did the rest, Tara. I swear!"

Tara hushed her, feeling sweat slide down through Willow's hair as she brushed her lover's hair back. "Shh, it's okay. I believe you. It's okay, Willow. Just keep fighting it." Willow was trembling again and she was biting her lip hard enough that Tara was worried that she would bite through it. "Come here and relax if you can," she prompted, opening her arms to Willow.

The redhead crawled weakly into her lap, curling up against her. Willow whimpered as she struggled to fight the compulsion to release the magic. "Tara, I'm so sorry," she gasped, one hand gripping the cloth of Tara's shirt tightly. "I didn't mean to. Please believe me. I didn't mean to do it."

Tara rocked her, murmuring into her hair. "I know, sweetheart. I know. It's okay. Everything is going to be okay. I'm here. I'm not going anywhere."

"It feels so bad. I hate this! I hate that I did this. I wasn't even thinking…" Willow buried her face in Tara's shoulder, rambling breathlessly. "I was going to take a nap and wait on you to come home. I just, and then she was there and naked…"

Tara winced, trailing her hand through Willow's hair and holding her head to her chest while she prayed that the redhead would be too distracted to notice her heart pounding. "I u-understand," she whispered. "A-and I love y-you, n-no matter w-what, but I d-don't really w-want to hear a-about it." She dimly recognized Dawn's quiet retreat upstairs, leaving them in privacy.

Tara's words penetrated the haze in her mind and Willow leaned back, realizing suddenly what a big misunderstanding they were having. "Tara, you can't think…I would never! I didn't!" She regained control of herself with extreme effort. "Tara, the only thing I am talking about is the spell I did. I wasn't thinking for two seconds, and I almost ruined everything I've been working on. But I would never do anything to risk what I have with you. You're everything. You're my everything." She met Tara's eyes straight on. "Ask me anything, Tara. Anything at all."

Tara groaned, shaking her head. "I don't need to a-ask. I'm s-sorry, Willow."

Willow shook her head quickly, both hands finding the blonde's face and covering her mouth with several fingers. "No, Tara, if you have any doubts…"

Tara kissed the hand on her mouth and guided it down. "I don't," she said firmly. "I, you were a little vague and I was a little panicked and I went crazy. That's all. I'm so, so sorry, Willow. Forgive me?"

"Already done. Can you forgive me too?" Willow agreed immediately, leaning forward to press her forehead against Tara's. "I didn't mean to slip up."

"I know that. And of course I forgive you," Tara whispered. "How are you doing?"

Willow curled closer to her. "It's bad again," she whispered. "I'm so sorry."

"If you keep apologizing I'm going to add saying sorry to the list of things that cost you a kiss to say to me," Tara warned her, pressing a kiss to her temple. "I love you, Willow. So much more than I could ever tell you."

"And you know I'd never, ever cheat on you," Willow prompted, smiling weakly. "Make me feel better, say it," she requested.

Tara ducked her head, blushing as Willow lifted her chin to meet her eyes again. "I know that you would never, ever, ever cheat on me. I'm a dummy for even letting the thought enter my brain." She pecked another kiss to Willow's cheek, feeling a muscle twitch under her lips. She lifted one of Willow's shaky hands and pressed it back to her chest, just over her heart.

"Can I?" Willow asked, hating the quiver that was going through her entire body.

Tara's lips were on her temple again, the blonde nodding. Willow could have anything from her, anytime she needed it. Willow drew in a deep breath to steady herself, stretching out slowly with her power. It was a struggle to ignore the voice in her brain begging her to speak, give voice to another spell, any spell. Tara's lips moved against her skin, and she shoved the voice down. The first touch was almost like a tickle, warm and so soft that it almost wasn't there at all, but even the lightest touch was completely infused with Tara's light and love. Willow let it wash over her, surround her and steady her as she pressed in closer. The feeling grew and expanded, filling every inch of her and pushing everything else to the outskirts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:36 am 
9. Gay Now

Yay for great update-y goodness... I'm glad that Willow immediately realized that the spell releasing Amy was a big step backwards... I hope Tara-snugglies put her back on track...

Posting while nude improves your mood...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:23 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Maggie,

Absolutely caught up in this fic!

I like the whole story, but this part captured the heart of their love for me:

Quote:
Tara's lips moved against her skin, and she shoved the voice down. The first touch was almost like a tickle, warm and so soft that it almost wasn't there at all, but even the lightest touch was completely infused with Tara's light and love. Willow let it wash over her, surround her and steady her as she pressed in closer. The feeling grew and expanded, filling every inch of her and pushing everything else to the outskirts.

Lots of magic . . . beautifully written.

Ariel
P.S. As a child, 'Maggie' was one of my favorite names to give myself during my imaginary adventures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:13 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Hmm, Rat=-form AMy was never that smart beofre...act5ions by an enemy?

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:44 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
Well first off, I know I'm late to the game but OMG YOU WROTE SMUT SQUEE SQUEE SQUEE OMG OMG OMG OMG.

Now that that spaz attack is over, I shall feedback.

Chapter 2 - Eek, withdrawals. I both cried and was warmed by this chapter. Just so much emotion. And way to leave on a sombre note! I'm so glad I didn't have to wait for the next!

Chapter 3 - Haha OMWF. As much as I loved their singing scene in the show, I loved that they didn't have one because they didn't have secrets :) Awesome! And the feeling the magic through the earth thing was great!

Chapter 4 - Okay, I had to actively make sure I actually read the chapter leading up to the end and not just skim in an eager attempt to get to...well, I'd normally say the good stuff but that's redundant with your fics 'cause it's all good, but you know what I'm talking about ;-) But I did! I read it all! And I liked the little snippet of Buffy coming in from 'patrolling'. We all know where that's going.

Oh wow. I'm burning up like Willow after reading the...I'm hesitant to call what that smut now that I've read it because it was so obviously an important part both in their relationship and in Willow's recovery...but from a purely...bodily point of view...damn, girl, that was hot!

*fans self repeatedly*

*has to stand outside in the -8 Irish winter air when fan isn't enough*

*walks back inside, recovered, and squeals with the realisation that I still have 2 more chapters*

Chapter 5 - I'm glad Buffy told Willow about Spike. Although I quite liked the Buffy/Tara friendship that formed from that development in the show, I'm much happier with Tara still being Willow's girlfriend :D

I loved the simple W/T interaction in the second half of this. And that Tara just came out with the sex bith and Willow spluttering over it. Too cute.

Chapter 6 - I saw this chapter started with Amy, and I gotta admit, I FREAKED out. No, no, no, no, no. Not Amy. Please not Amy. But, not as yet having read the rest, I'm trusting you that it doesn't set Willow back in leaps and bounds.

Hehe. I giggled at Amy's 'Anthing but cheese!' bit.

Okay, no major, major setback. Thank god. And no Rack. Double thank god.

Oh boy. That's a monumental misunderstanding. I kinda can't believe Tara was ready to forgive so quickly when she thought it was that. Glad it was cleared up though, and the end bit where Willow was feeling so much just from Tara's touch was beautifully poetic.

Phew. Well, finally caught up! I'm so glad I did too, this is a great piece! I think I'm enjoying the most out of all your fics, and that's saying something!

Looking forward to Thursday :D

:peace

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:40 pm 

Wow, Laragh's post...now that's a hard act to follow! Maybe I should just say 'DITTO' and leave it at that? lol

But alas I do have a couple things to add...

First of all...Amy. So fitting that she turned herself into a rat to begin with and too bad that she never became a snack for Miss Kitty!!! I mean, did she ever even say 'thank you' to Willow for taking care of her for 3 years? She is absolutely retched!

Secondly...Willow. Poor Will, accidentally performing a spell, having major withdrawals and all while having to deal with Amy trying to pressure her into visiting Rack. TG she had the good sense this time around to go home to Tara. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she stays away from Rack and that Tara takes care of Amy. I was hoping that it would be the last we see of Amy, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

Looking forward to the next update!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:53 pm 

Maggie, dear Maggie, you're doing so beautifully! It was amazing to be taken from the scary depths of her accidental relapse, to Tara's moment of doubt, to the total surrender and serenity of their supportive love for each other.

Quote:
Willow nodded distractedly, feeling her head pounding, her traitorous inner voice telling her that it wouldn't hurt anything to go with Amy to whatever Rack's proved to be. "Yeah, no problem. Maybe I'll see you later."

This moment was so crucial, it shows Willow's growth, shows that she has truly gained an understanding of the danger of abusing her power. I look forward to the next update...maybe an extra one for Christmas? Please, please? Bats eyes with hands curled under chin adorably..."Please ma'am, may I have some more?"

:wtkiss :wtkiss :blush :blush :wtkiss :wtkiss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:41 am 

zampsa19752001: yay! I'm glad you liked it! I'm quite sure Tara snuggles will never hurt a situation :) Thanks so much for reading!

Ariel: Aww, yay! I'm glad you're liking it! Thank you, Ariel! (Aww, that's cute! My name is actually Margaret, but my parents named me that so they could shorten it to Maggie, so I've never been called Margaret)

DaddyCatALSO: She managed to turn herself into a rat in season 3, so she at least had some stills, if not intelligence (Really? How is being a rat a good plan, ever???) And it took Willow until almost the height of her powers to turn her back... I just figured that even if she is a rat, witch Amy is still in there somewhere, and pretty desperate...maybe enough to try something like that. Okay, so it's pretty illogical, but I couldn't really figure out another way to have Willow slip up but I needed her to slip up at least once...

Laragh: Wow, I have to say that my eyes kind of bugged out a little when I saw this... :) Lol, that seemed to be everyone's reaction! It's made me laugh every single time! I'm glad you're enjoying it! Thank you for actually reading this one in spite of the angst! :) (it's -8 there? Gross! It's been in the 60's here! But that's unseasonably warm for this late in the year!) Well, there's still going to be some Buffy/Tara friendship development because I love it too! It was one of my favorite parts of the crapstorm that is season 6... I'm glad that the Amy bit seemed to surprise everyone - that's what I was hoping for! :) Nope, no Rack... I hate that guy! Well, it wasn't so much that she was willing to forgive it that quickly, but rather that in the middle of trying to calm Willow down, she didn't want to get confirmation (or explicit details) and freak herself out any further (pretty much at that point Willow was her priority - but when isn't that true?) I'm really glad you're enjoying this one! It's become my favorite too! Happy Thursday!

Finey_McFine: :) Lol, I want to hear everyone's opinions! How did it never occur to me to have her get killed by Miss Kitty!? I mean, they had a rat and a cat as pets?!? She is pretty wretched, it's true!
I know, poor Willow... She's got better support this time around though, so she'll be alright eventually!
I hope you enjoy the update!!!

LonelyTara: :D Thank you, Robin! You're too sweet to me! I'm glad you liked that part - I've had a few people telling me that it still felt that Willow was still motivated by making Tara happy rather than feeling her own need to do it, but that part turned them around on it (which is what it was intended to do)
Lol, don't you know that your wish is pretty much my command - would you like your extra chapter tomorrow? Or should I double post this weekend? Two on Sunday might be easiest with Saturday being Christmas :)

Chapter 7 of 11

Worry not, everything is sound
This is the safest place you've found
The only noise beating out is ours

Willow opened her eyes, surprised to realize that she was no longer on the couch, but tucked carefully into her bed upstairs. She leaned her head back to meet Tara's eyes, the blonde cushioning her against herself. "Hey," Willow said hoarsely. Tara's fingers combed through her hair and the redhead smiled tiredly. "How'd we get up here?"

Tara kept stroking her hair, laughing softly. "I carried you. You don't remember?"

Willow leaned up to press her face into the blonde's neck. "I got a little caught up. Could you feel it?"

"Always," Tara whispered, fingers rubbing the back of her girlfriend's neck. "You feel better?"

Willow lifted the hand that wasn't still resting over Tara's heart, fingers wobbling only a bit. "Better," she said softly. "Thank you. For everything." She didn't wait for prompting before she leaned up and kissed her, settling her head back against Tara's shoulder.

There was a long moment of silence, both breathing slowly. "Can you sleep?" Tara asked. "I can make you something…"

Willow blinked in the darkness, honestly not sure if she was tired or not, just that she was peaceful for once in a long time. It felt like forever since she'd decided to give up using spells. "At this precise moment, I'm perfectly content, if not sleepy, exactly."

"Good," Tara said, smiling softly. "I'm glad. But sweetie…" She shifted her shoulder slightly underneath Willow's head.

"Oh," Willow realized, sitting up quickly. "I'm sorry, Tara. I didn't mean to squish…"

"Okay, that's it," Tara interrupted, lifting one hand. "Apologizing is officially on the list," she announced. "And you know the rule. Kiss," she prompted, tapping her bottom lip with one finger.

Willow blushed, but captured her lips willingly. Her hand on Tara's chest moved up to curl around the back of her neck, guiding her slowly closer. She dragged the blonde's bottom lip between her teeth, smiling softly. "Tea would be wonderful, actually," she said, shifting to give Tara room to slide off the bed. "Thank you, Tara."

"You're welcome, my love." Willow's smile grew brighter as she settled back into her spot on the bed while Tara tucked her carefully back in. "I'll be right back."

The house was dark and quiet when she reached the kitchen and she realized how long Willow had been trembling in her arms. She started a kettle and tidied a bit while she waited, finding the coffee mugs Willow had promised to clean in the drying rack beside the sink. The backdoor opened with a click and she looked over her shoulder, surprised to see Buffy.

"Tea?" she offered, still causing the Slayer to jump despite making an effort to speak softly.

Buffy groaned, nodding. "Put a little something extra in mine," she requested, shuffling into the living room where Tara heard her flop onto the couch.

The witch found a bottle in the freezer and poured some into one of the mugs. The tea whistled and she mixed it up for Buffy, taking her own cup with her while she carried the other to Buffy.

The Slayer was on her back on the couch, one arm over her face. "Thanks," she said, voice muffled, but she sat up to take the cup, taking a long sip.

"Do you want to talk about anything?" Tara asked hesitantly, taking a seat beside her friend. Buffy glanced sideways at her, taking another sip instead of answering. "You don't have to…"

"Spike can hurt me," Buffy interjected suddenly. "I think there's something wrong with me." One of her hands found Tara's wrist and squeezed. "I think I came back wrong," she whispered, eyes blinking and wild as she looked at Tara.

"Buffy…"

The Slayer shook her head to cut off the comfort she knew her friend would offer. "Would you check? Please? Make sure I didn't come back wrong," she pleaded, wrapping both arms around her as Tara pulled her into a hug.

Tara thought it over, remembering all the work Willow had done to bring the Slayer back, the long sleepless nights and the pain it would cause the redhead if she really had brought her friend back wrong. Tara took a deep breath, nodding against Buffy's shoulder. "I'll look into it."

"Thank you," Buffy whispered, pulling back to rub her eyes. She drained her drink and slumped back into the couch cushions. "You look tired," she observed.

Tara shrugged, smiling weakly. "I think we all are," she said softly.

"How's Will doing?" Buffy asked, not meeting the witch's eyes for longer than a second glance at a time.

Tara sighed, wishing fervently that she wasn't in the middle of the pair's friendship. She knew though that they had a lot of trust to rebuild before things would be alright between them. "She was doing okay. Today was a…setback," she answered slowly.

Buffy frowned, both hands curled around the empty coffee mug. "What happened today?"

"Amy the rat is no longer a rat," Tara answered. "It was a mistake. Willow got a little overwhelmed after it happened."

Buffy grimaced. "I'm guessing that's not good for her withdrawal?"

Tara matched her grimace, nodding. "She was shaking on the couch when I got home."

The Slayer swallowed thickly, feeling sorry for her friend's struggle. If for no other reason than their friendship, they should be bonding over their efforts to resist their individual addictions. She'd managed to avoid Spike, but she couldn't stop herself from wanting to go to him, just make some excuse and get out the door. One glance at Tara told her that any reason she presented to leave wouldn't pass even a cursory second of reasoning. "Is she going to be okay?" Buffy asked, turning the cup restlessly in her hands.

The witch sighed, wringing her own hands. "Hopefully. I mean, if anyone can do this, it's Willow. But…" She curled her legs up, unconsciously drawing in on herself. "But no one's ever done what she's trying to do…"

Buffy leaned forward, elbows on her knees. "Tara, Willow's going to be fine. Like you said, if anyone can do it, it's Will." She gave the witch a strained smile. "I might be the Slayer, but Willow's the strongest person I've ever known." Tara met her eyes, returning the smile tiredly. "I don't know how much Will ever told you about high school, but it was rough on her. Xander and Jessie were pretty much her only friends. And they were on their own against Cordelia and Harmony."

Tara smiled sadly, thinking about how far her lover had come since being that person. Willow was stronger than she knew she was. "And then you."

Buffy cracked a smile at that, nodding. "And then me," she agreed hoarsely. "I can't say I made her life better though."

"Willow would say you did," Tara stated. "She would even say that you do." One hand stretched forward and rested over the Slayer's hands. "I'm not saying that what we did to you was right, but we did it because we all love you." Buffy didn't speak and Tara continued slowly. "Dawn's your sister, but Willow loves you the same way."

"I know that," Buffy said softly. "And I love her too." Her head fell forward and she sighed heavily. "And I know that it doesn't make a lot of sense, but some part of me is just mad that you didn't know, none of you even thought that I might be somewhere good."

Tara nodded. "We screwed up. We know that. But Buffy, it wasn't just Willow. We decided together. I was having dreams, of you, in Glory's hell." She sighed. "Xander said it best I think," she commented, smiling sadly. "'Me like Buffy. Buffy's alive, so me glad,'" she recited, relieved when it drew a smile from the Slayer.

"I'm working on it, Tara," Buffy offered. "It's just hard."

"Well, when you're feeling bad, you could come find me, or Dawnie," Tara suggested. "Find someone who's not going to take advantage of you." Buffy looked up at her, squeezing her friend's fingers gently. "Or call Giles…someone other than…"

"Spike…"

"Do you l-love him?" Buffy shrugged, the corners of her mouth falling. "It's okay if you don't…"

"No," Buffy cut her off. "It's not okay to use him. No matter what he is, it is not okay for me to use him." She realized how defensive she sounded and she grimaced sheepishly. "I promise, Tara. All this hostility isn't aimed at you. It's all for me."

The witch moved closer on the couch, touching Buffy's shoulder gently. "Maybe you should give yourself a break. Whatever you need, whenever you need it, we're all here for you." She smiled softly in the dimness. "And if you can't come to Willow or Xander, I'm here, and Dawn."

Buffy nodded, swallowing thickly. "Thanks," she said hoarsely. Their eyes locked and she cleared her throat. "I should get going to bed. And I'm pretty sure you owed Willow some tea about half an hour ago."

Tara blushed, ducking her head shyly. "Oh, y-yeah. I hope she's sleeping, actually."

"Well, either way you should go check on her," Buffy prompted, nodding her head toward the kitchen. "I'll wait if you want to get her some tea."

They took the stairs together, separating at the top to go into their own rooms. Tara gave Buffy a lingering look, smiling supportively and letting the Slayer break the stare first before she went into the room she shared with Willow.

The redhead was curled up under the sheets but she shifted as Tara closed the door behind her. "That wasn't 'right back,'" Willow complained, voice soft in the darkness.

"I know, baby. I'm sorry," Tara said, carrying the softly steaming coffee cup to the bedside. "I was talking with Buffy. Your tea is fresh at least." Willow smiled up at her and it was easy to see how tired she was. "Are you still all shaky?" Tara asked considerately, handing her the mug so she could comb her fingers through soft red hair.

Willow sat up enough to drink her tea, Tara's free hand resting lightly on her knee. "Yum." Smiling as she finished, she blinked slowly. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, sweetie." Tara leaned forward to kiss her forehead, cupping her cheek with one hand. "You didn't answer…"

"I'm okay," Willow interjected. "I do need something though, if you can help me."

"Anything," Tara agreed promptly. "Just name it."

Willow found the hand on her cheek with her own and dragged it down to kiss the palm. "I very much need to be snuggled," she said, smiling until a tremor moved through her fingers. She met Tara's eyes almost guiltily. "I'll get it back under control, Tara. I swear."

Tara took the coffee cup from her and set it aside carefully, glancing up at her. "I know you will." She whispered the assurance, twining her fingers through Willow's. "Honestly…" She hesitated. "Never mind."

Willow frowned, squeezing her hand. "Tara…no 'never mind.' Tell me."

The blonde waited for a long moment, Willow waiting anxiously. "Honestly…I'm counting on it."

Willow swallowed thickly, blinking. "Why wouldn't you want to tell me that?"

Tara shook her head. "I didn't not want to tell you that. I just didn't want to put any more pressure on you…"

Willow laughed, surprising them both. "First of all, didn't anyone teach you about double negatives?" Tara blushed and the redhead squeezed her hand again. "And second, we're partners, Tara. Any pressure you're under, I feel it." Her smile faded somewhat. "And as much as I hate it, you're feeling all of the pressure I've been under." Their eyes locked and each smiled softly. The moment lingered and Willow pulled the blankets back to break the stare. "Now, it's past time you were snuggling me."

Tara laughed, leaning over to kiss her before she moved and she couldn't help yelping as Willow took advantage and used her overbalanced position to pull her over onto her and to the side, the redhead following her and curling herself into her lover's side.

"That's better," she declared, pleased with herself.

Tara looked down at her as Willow yawned widely. "Um, I'm still dressed," she reminded her softly.

"I can help with that," Willow replied, yawning again. "I'm good at this."

"Thank you," Tara murmured, kicking off her shoes while Willow's fingers fumbled with her belt. Between the two of them, she got her pants off, Willow already almost asleep before the task was finished, her fingers twitching against the blonde's collarbone while her head was pillowed on Tara's shoulder. The witch watched her sleep for a second, one hand stretching out to click off the lamp. Willow settled closer, breathing deeply. She appeared to be sleeping peacefully, but that could change anytime. Someday though, and sooner rather than later if she knew her beloved at all, they'd be able to sleep peacefully without fear of interruption. Until then though, Tara was prepared to wake up with her and hold her until the tremors passed. No matter how long it took.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:48 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

DIBS DIBS DIBS DIBS DIBS DIBS!

Did I get it?

Yes!

Quote:
Well, it wasn't so much that she was willing to forgive it that quickly, but rather that in the middle of trying to calm Willow down, she didn't want to get confirmation (or explicit details) and freak herself out any further (pretty much at that point Willow was her priority - but when isn't that true?

Ah, I can totally see that now. And makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking :p

Quote:
Nope, no Rack...

All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you! He sucked, glad to see he's not getting any recognition by being included in this :D

Quote:
And you know the rule. Kiss

That is the most amazing rule ever.

Buffy/Tara friendship interaction! YAY!

Quote:
"First of all, didn't anyone teach you about double negatives?"

I'm so glad Willow said that 'cause I was feeling the exact same way! I was like, 'Tara...no. Just no.'

Snuggling. That's how every chapter should end. And start. And everything in between :D

Great stuff!

PS Enjoy your 'A Christmas Story' marathon and Die Hard night on Saturday :p

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:36 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Yay, I'm finally caught up, despite Christmas chaos. Kinda echoing the other feedbackers, I love how supportive Tara is, with both Willow and Buffy. Love how hard they are all trying, glad Amy didn't lead to Rack and all that idiocy.

My heart and I have wandered aimlessly beneath the Weeping Willows, searching for the sun. - Hayley Westenra, "My heart and I"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:38 pm 

Quote:
The backdoor opened with a click and she looked over her shoulder, surprised to see Buffy.

I was literally holding my breath here...I thought it was Amy coming back all hopped up on Rack Magic. Phew! Thank goodness it was just Buffy.

Quote:
"We screwed up. We know that.

A big yay for Tara not pulling any punches and saying this straight up to Buffy.

I really love all the sweet and intimate moments between Willow and Tara. Very real and very nicely written.

As always...looking forward to more!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:20 pm 

Quote:
She appeared to be sleeping peacefully, but that could change anytime. Someday though, and sooner rather than later if she knew her beloved at all, they'd be able to sleep peacefully without fear of interruption. Until then though, Tara was prepared to wake up with her and hold her until the tremors passed. No matter how long it took.

Love and devotion, pure, if not simple.

Maggie, dear Maggie, I have two wishes then.

#1--Always keep writing.
#2--DOUBLE SUNDAY! Yay and Merry Christmas!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:33 pm 

Laragh: Yay dibs! I'm glad it makes sense now and that you liked my changes Rack sucked! :)
Who wouldn't want a rule like that? More kisses for everyone that way!
I loved Buffy and Tara's friendship, so I couldn't get rid of it :)
Hehe, I thought it would be something that Willow would chide her on...
I agree! More snuggling! I'm glad you liked it!
Thank you! We have watched Christmas Story 3 times so far :) Die Hard is going on tonight when we get home from our grandfather's house. Merry holiday you celebrate!

Promthea128: Yay! I'm glad you're back! And I'm really glad you enjoy the story! Yeah, Rack and Amy are stupid! And they made Willow be stupid!

Finey_McFine: Nope, I didn't do that - I'm not that mean! Yeah, I don't see Tara as being someone who would shrink back from telling the truth - not after hiding her "demon-ness" went so wrong. And she's been with Willow and the Scoobies for a few years so she'd be more comfortable just saying it outright to Buffy. I'm really glad you're liking the story!

LonelyTara: :D I'm glad you like that part - I wasn't sure about that line... lol, I'll see what I can do about those! Merry Christmas, my friend!

Had some free time, so here you go!

Chapter 8 of 11

Just for a minute the silver forked sky
Lit you up like a star that I will follow

When she was perfectly still she could hear the wind before it reached her, feel the grass growing beneath her, touch the birds as they winged over her head. As her understanding of life and the magic involved in everything increased, her abilities had grown beyond any spells she’d ever cast, even bringing Buffy back. It wasn’t that she was more powerful now, although she was pretty sure that she was, but her understanding of power and its uses had grown exponentially.

She still wasn’t casting, but the daily meditation helped her connect to the true source of her powers and that connection helped ground her. Even the simplest spells had consequences that were wreaked out here in the world. It made everything she did meaningful.

One of the more unexpected side effects had been her heightened ability to sense Tara. They were connected beyond the magic, but her new focus had resulted in something she’d never expected was possible - drawing them closer.

The breeze came just as she had seen its path and her mind’s eye found Tara in the house but heading in her direction. She opened her eyes just as the backdoor opened, Tara stepping down from the deck to the grass. The blonde’s magic was unlike anything Willow had ever felt before, so connected as it was to her spirit. Even without spells, Tara’s energy called to everything and nature responded to her in a way that was fascinating to Willow. The press of her foot on the grass sent waves of light through Willow’s mind, connected as she was to the earth.

“Hey beautiful,” Willow greeted her, smiling softly. Tara was holding a jacket over her arm and she extended it to the seated redhead. Willow tucked herself into it and stretched, not realizing how cool had gotten outside until she’d started to warm up. “Thanks for thinking about me.”

Tara nodded, curling both arms around herself and returning the smile. “Of course. I’m not just going to forget that you’re sitting outside when the sun’s going down.”

“Want to sit on the porch and we can watch the moon rise?” Willow proposed, biting her lip shyly. Tara didn’t say anything, but extended both hands to help Willow to her feet. The jacket was evidently one of Xander’s, the sleeves hanging below Willow’s fingers as she stood up. Willow looked down at herself, the coat dwarfing her slight fame. “This will work out great,” she declared, leading Tara back to the deck and taking a seat on the chair. She leaned back and guided Tara to sit between her legs, curling the oversized coat around them both. Willow took a deep breath and squeezed her gently, nudging her face into the blonde’s neck.

“This is nice,” Tara said softly. Willow nodded without speaking, pressing a kiss to Tara’s skin instead. Tara could feel her love’s heartbeat thumping steadily against her back. The peaceful silence lingered as the night sounds of Sunnydale came out. Willow had her hands buried in the pockets of the coat and she kept the front closed so that they were warm. “I’ve been thinking.” The words were quiet, scarcely audible, and Willow nodded, waiting for whatever her partner had to say.

“I’ve been thinking about…you,” Tara continued slowly.

“This sounds promising,” Willow joked quietly, still kissing her neck.

“About all the work you’ve been doing,” Tara clarified. “You’re doing so good, sweetie.”

“No spells for forty-eight days,” Willow whispered.

“I know,” Tara said, smiling and letting both hands slide back and over Willow’s thighs on either side of her. “I don’t know if it’s enough though.”

Willow frowned, fingers fidgeting with the inside of the jacket’s pockets. “What else can I do?”

“It’s not that you’re doing anything wrong,” Tara stated. “You’re not. I just think we could do more.”

“We?” Willow questioned, bumping her nose against the column of Tara’s neck before she let her head fall back to look up at the sky. Tara leaned back with her, hands still sliding back and forth over the tops of her lover’s thighs.

“We,” Tara confirmed. “You know what magic is now, how it works, what it can do.”

“And I stopped using it.”

“I don’t know if that’s the best thing either,” Tara sighed.

“Just tell me what you mean, Tara. I’ll do anything you want, I just need to know what it is,” Willow said, Tara’s hair tickling her throat as the blonde moved against her to lean up and meet her eyes.

“Don’t be mad at me,” Tara requested. “I-I’m just s-saying the magic is p-part of you. It c-could be b-bad to l-limit yourself.” She sighed. “I don’t t-think it’s all about n-not using the magic. I think it’s a-about not a-abusing it.”

Willow didn’t speak, thinking it over. She wasn’t angry, knew Tara only ever wanted to help her, protect her, but the idea of giving up her resistance to the magic frightened her. Giving it up was one thing. It involved will power and resolve, but starting to use again and keeping herself restrained was an entirely different battle. “What if I can’t control it?” She didn’t realize that she’d spoken until Tara’s voice was quietly reassuring her, breath warm against her ear. It was a simple gesture, comforting and familiar, and it succeeded in its purpose of calming her down.

“I’m not p-pushing,” Tara whispered. “It’s j-just something to t-think about. Nothing y-you don’t feel r-ready for.”

“You said ‘we,’” Willow said softly. “You’re going to help me?”

“Of course I am,” Tara answered. “You’ve already made a lot of progress on your own though. Learning everything that you have…”

Willow tilted her head and gave her a confused frown. “Tara, sweetie, I’m not sure you’re remembering right. You’ve been helping me with all of that.”

Tara blinked, smiling slowly. “Okay, so what makes you think I’m going to stop now?”

Willow slipped one hand out of the pocket and guided Tara’s head closer gently so she could kiss her hair, resting her cheek against the spot. “You know that I’m in love with you, right? Completely.” Her hand stroked gently through Tara’s hair, long strokes to the end.

Tara laughed quietly, dragging her nails up Willow’s jeans over her thigh. “You even have to ask me that?”

“No,” Willow whispered happily. “I just wanted you to know.”

“Of course I know that,” Tara said, snuggling closer inside the coat.

The sky was darkening, stars starting to dot the open space above them. The night was peaceful, still and quiet. Neither spoke, just relaxing and enjoying the serenity until they heard the house start to fill, everyone arriving home. It was Buffy’s birthday and the Scoobies had invited several people over for a party. Willow sighed, but didn’t move until Spike appeared from the woods with a bent box of chocolates under one arm.

“Are you nuts?” the redhead asked, sitting up as Tara leaned forward to let her up. “I’m pretty sure you weren’t invited.”

Spike shrugged, smirking. “The Slayer always lets me come inside,” he said.

Willow rolled her eyes. “You’re gross, Spike. And you’re not ruining our party.”

“And you’re likely to stop me?” he asked, laughing. “The way I hear it, you’re not working the big mojo anymore. Not much you can do to me on your own, little Red.”

Willow’s eyes narrowed and she slipped her arms out of the jacket that was still wrapped around Tara and stood up on the seat of the deckchair before jumping down and facing him squarely. “In case you’ve forgotten, you’ve still got that chip up your brain, so you can’t do anything to me either,” she said, deliberately challenging him.

The backdoor opened behind her and Buffy stepped out onto the porch. “Do we have a problem here?” she asked dryly. She moved up to stand at Willow’s side, one hand pushing the witch back slowly, putting herself between the glaring pair.

“No, we don’t,” Willow stated firmly. “Spike was just leaving.” She kept her eyes locked on him, daring him to say anything. Buffy’s resistance hadn’t been as successful as Willow’s had, the Slayer slipping into Spike’s arms several times over the last few months, even as she hated herself for it.

“I think the Slayer’s the one who wants me here,” Spike challenged.

“I really don’t,” Buffy stated, interrupting anything more embarrassing that he might say. He gave her a sullen look and reached for her hand, which she snatched away from him. “I’m serious, Spike. Get out of here.”

He hesitated, glaring up at her from the yard. “Slayer…Buffy…”

She shook her head, closing her eyes tightly. “No, Spike, leave. I’m not doing this tonight. Leave before Xander sees you here.” Buffy hadn’t been as forthcoming with the rest of the Scoobies as she had been with Willow and Tara, and her sister and Xander remained blissfully unaware of her affair with Spike. Even without knowing about it though, Xander hadn’t bothered to make a secret of his distaste for the vampire spending time around them.

Spike glared at Willow when Buffy refused to look at him again, stomping back into the woods and throwing the bent present he’d brought against a tree on his way.

Buffy opened her eyes once his thrashing and grumbling were out of range and she took a deep breath and let her shoulders slump. “Thanks for the backup,” she said quietly, glancing sideways at Willow.

“Yeah, no problem.” The witch gave her a nod, patting her shoulder soothingly. “Now, come on. Let’s get this party started.”

Tara held the jacket closed around herself as she stood up, falling into step behind Willow and Buffy as they went back inside the house. Xander and Anya introduced the young man they’d invited to the party to meet Buffy, Willow and Tara having to hide their laughter as Buffy awkwardly introduced herself.

The Slayer slugged Xander in the shoulder as he nudged her with an elbow, grinning and then groaning as he covered his now sore arm. The party progressed the way most birthday parties do, with presents and cake. It was almost midnight before anyone tried to leave and they realized that they couldn’t.

Willow had long gotten rid of all but the most basic and rudimentary of supplies in an effort to make it harder to give into her compulsion to cast. At her request, Tara had hidden what was left and once it became clear that they had no other options, the blonde was the one to fetch the ingredients for a general dispersal spell, something they all hoped would be enough to break them out of the house.

When Tara returned to the kitchen from collecting her spell components, Willow was seated at the kitchen island, quite literally sitting on her hands. “I won’t stay,” she said before Tara could speak. “I just wanted to say good luck. You can do it.” She shrugged sheepishly, eyes wide as she caught sight of the bags in Tara’s hands. She slipped off her seat, deliberately crossing her arms behind her and backing toward the dining room.

“Will.” She froze when she heard her name spoken in tender concern, her eyes finding Tara’s. “I could use your help.”

Willow shook her head helplessly, squeezing her hands behind her back. “Tara…I don’t know if I can…”

“I won’t push you,” Tara stated quickly, putting her bags down on the counter and curling her arms around herself, nodding reassuringly. “Nothing that you’re not ready for.”

Willow swallowed thickly, taking a deep breath. “Tara…I can’t let you down again.”

The blonde frowned, taking a step toward her. “You, Willow, you don’t…” She shook her head, lips pursed. “I trust you, Willow. It’s that simple. And I know that you won’t let me down.”

Tara faced the counter again, sorting ingredients carefully. She glanced over, smiling as Willow stepped up and took her place beside her. “Two of those, I think,” Willow said, picking another pouch from the pile.

Tara pressed a kiss to her cheek, but didn’t speak, just pulling another stone from the bag she was holding. Their hands touched when they started mixing, Tara nudging Willow playfully with an elbow and smiling crookedly at her. In spite of the tension in the house at the still unknown force that was holding them captive, she couldn’t help feeling relieved. Willow was born to do this, help people and protect them.

She didn’t realize that she’d spoken aloud until Willow responded, laughing weakly. “I don’t know about that,” Willow said softly. “I mean, that part’s great and all, but for me, there’s only one thing I was born to do…” She glanced shyly sideways. “I do it every second since I met you, Tara.”

The blonde blushed, ducking her head. “Sweet-talker,” she whispered, both of them looking up as Buffy came into the kitchen.

“How’s it going?” Buffy asked. “Will?” she asked, surprised to see her friend setting up the spell.

Willow swallowed hard. “I’m going to help. Maybe just with the setup,” she confessed, glancing guiltily at Tara. “But, hey, this is closer than I’ve gotten to magic stuff in a while, so yay!”

“You’re doing fine,” Tara said softly, giving her a reassuring smile. “I can take it from here.” Willow kept her eyes on Tara for a long moment before dropping her eyes as her fingers trembling against the countertop, a hundred possibilities for the ingredients on the countertop flying through her mind.

Tara met Buffy’s eyes over Willow’s bowed head and the Slayer patted her friend soothingly on the shoulder. “You’re doing great, Will. I could use your help upstairs though, if you’ve got a minute. Anya’s starting to have a minor panic attack.”

Willow gave her a skeptical look, eyebrow lifting in disbelief. “And you expect that I’ll be able to help her with that?”

Buffy shrugged, expression strained. “Everyone else has already tried. It’s your turn,” she declared, one arm around the redhead’s shoulders to guide her away.

Unfortunately the spell did nothing but release a demon into the walls of the house, driving the already high tension level through the roof. Dawn was sullen and petulant, Anya panicky and nervous, while Xander and Richard had both been injured by their newest companion in the house.

Anya was snipping at everyone by the next night, the end of their full day inside the house. Everyone was walking on eggshells, the gentle-hearted Tara doing her best to keep the peace. She kept her temper until Anya and Xander ganged up on Willow, trying to pressure the reluctant witch into action. Anya backed off in the face of Tara’s anger, but her rampage through the house revealed the source of their entrapment in Dawn and her accidental wish.

Once they were free of the house everyone but Buffy took off to the outside, Xander and Anya departing to take Richard to the hospital and Willow and Tara just started walking around the block. Tara was silently fuming and didn’t speak as Willow took her hand and pulled them to a stop on the silent sidewalk.

“What’s wrong?”

Tara glanced back toward the house, Xander’s taillights barely visible in the other direction. “I, if they ever talk to you like that again…” She paused as Willow hugged her, the redhead burying her face in her chest. Willow said something, but her voice was muffled and inaudible. “What?”

“Thanks for sticking up for me,” Willow repeated. “Sorry that I’m not strong enou…”

“No,” Tara cut her off flatly. “I won’t let you talk that way either.” She sighed, both hands coming up to hold Willow’s head, the redhead’s face still buried in her shoulder. “You’re doing this, Willow. That makes you stronger than anyone I know.” Willow lifted her head slowly and Tara gave her a slow smile. “Buffy even said so.”

Willow snorted in disbelief, shaking her head. Tara’s expression didn’t change and the hacker’s mouth dropped open. “What? Really?”

Tara laughed, nodding and ruffling Willow’s hair teasingly. “Yes, really. Now, it’s getting cold out here. Are we going somewhere now that we can, or are we heading home?”

Willow glanced toward the house and bit her lip as she thought it over. “I think we should maybe give them some time. Want to walk down to the Espresso Pump? I’ll buy you some coffee. Or cocoa, or whatever you want.”

Tara gave her a kiss on the cheek in gratitude and curled an arm through Willow’s. They walked in silence, grateful that the coffee shop had their space heater turned on. Tara got a table while Willow ordered their drinks. The blonde was surprised but not displeased when Willow took a seat on the same side of the booth with her, planting the steaming cup in front of her and snuggling into her side.

Next chapter will be up tomorrow afternoon some time :) Merry Christmas everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:14 pm 

Yay Christmas Day DIBS!!! Which wasn't all that hard since I'm the only registered Kitten on right now, lol I should actually be doing this... :sleep since the kids were up at 6:30am!

Anyway, what a nice Christmas present...thank you!

Quote:
“You know that I’m in love with you, right?”

Haha...as if Tara had no idea, silly Willow. Such a sweet intimate moment:)

Quote:
She kept her temper until Anya and Xander ganged up on Willow, trying to pressure the reluctant witch into action.

This was one of my favorite W/T scenes ever. :pinky I just watched this episode last week. After all, who can resist 'take charge Tara??' Side note: Probably one of Xander's lowest most disappointing moments ever, in my humble opinion. It just proved that they didn't really care how things got fixed, as long as they did, no matter what the consequences were. Even the health and well being of their best friend.

Again...thanks for the Christmas lovely present! I'll be anxiously awaiting tomorrow with bells on! Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:38 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:D Great chapter, and I agree with Shel, loved that W/T scene and I love it in yours even more 'cause they're together!

Yay for Christmas Day treat (even though technically it's past midnight here so not really anymore! :p)

Happy Holidays

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:56 pm 

Finey_McFine: Wooh! That's early! Well, congrats on the dibs! I'm glad you liked the chapter! That is a great scene (and no one can!) That definitely is his most disappointing moments ever! That's his best friend and he doesn't even give a damn if what he's asking her to do is going to ruin her life! Stupid Xander! Hope you like the new chapter!

Laragh: I'm glad you liked it! Everything's better when they're together! (now that Jack Johnson song is stuck in my head - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSntFujR6Yw in case you haven't heard it) Merry day after Christmas!

Chapter 9 of 11

What if this storm ends?
And I don't see you as you are now
Ever again

Things got better, slowly and painfully, for Willow, while getting worse for everyone else. Buffy struggled to resist Spike, while Xander and Anya’s wedding imploded. Then Buffy got infected with some demonic poison and went crazy. Throughout all of it, Willow had remained magic-free, searching every time for a way to help without using spells.

Tara never pushed her to start practicing again, Willow making the decision on her own and taking baby steps toward it once she finally did. It felt almost like she was in high school again, back when she’d first started practicing. She started small, levitating pencils and pillows around her bedroom. Her concentration broke when the door slammed downstairs, probably Dawn annoyed about something, or Buffy making her way home after a rough night. The things she’d been hovering fell toward the floor, but she managed to recover her control and caught them before they hit the carpet.

She let them fall a moment later and rolled off her bed to crawl around and pick them up. She could have easily called them back to her with a gesture, but her self-control had been thoroughly expended for the day and she crawled around the floor without a second thought.

Tara couldn’t see Willow as she entered their bedroom, but she heard her moving and she called her girlfriend’s name, smiling as Willow’s red head popped up on the far side of the bed. “What are you doing on the floor?” Tara asked, laughing.

“I was just picking up. I didn’t think that was you, with all the door slamming,” Willow confessed, giving her a sheepish grin. She sat back on her heels and piled her collected pennies and pencils on the foot of the bed, sitting up on her knees a moment later to dig something out of her pocket.

“Oh, Buffy just went outside with Xander.” She put her school bag down next to the dresser and straightened a picture frame that was sitting on top of the dresser. “Will, what…” Tara froze as she turned from the chest of drawers and noticed the redhead’s posture. “Um, oh…”

Willow looked confused, glancing down at herself and then up at Tara and finally to her hands cupping something invisible from Tara’s point of view. “Oh! Tara, oh no!”

The blonde had one hand covering her mouth, struggling to hear over the sudden pounding of her heart in her ears. “You-you’re not…are you?”

“No! I mean, you don’t want to, do you?” Willow asked, starting to move before she remembered that she was still on her knees. Her arms pin-wheeled wildly for a long moment before she crashed to the floor. Tara was quick to get to her side, though she had to pull back her hands as Willow started swatting at the carpet with both hands, her voice muffled as she cursed into the floor.

She was still eventually, Tara sitting on the floor beside her when she finally lifted her head. Tara had both arms curled around her bent up knees. “Are you okay?” Tara asked, trying not to laugh.

Willow groaned, rolling over to put her head in the blonde’s lap. “Yes, unless embarrassment can really kill you.”

“Don’t be embarrassed,” Tara said, combing her fingers through her partner’s hair. “I w-was just s-surprised.”

“But I wanted to do it right, with a ring and a nice outfit, but I was still going to get down on my knee, of course, and we were going to go out to dinner…”

“You want to get married?” Tara interrupted her to ask, fingers frozen where they were buried in red hair. Willow blinked, realizing how much she’d said and she blushed brightly, mouth hanging open as she tried to think of anything to say.

“Do you?” was all she could come up with.

Tara smiled softly, hesitating teasingly. “That would be telling,” she said, leaning over and pressing a kiss to her lover’s forehead. “Ask me nicely and I’ll answer you.”

Willow didn’t speak for a long moment, swallowing thickly. “I think I want to be surprised,” she said, voice hoarse and thick with emotion. She stared up at Tara, their eyes locked, and Tara’s fingers traced over her face gently. Willow kissed the fingers as they touched her lips, her hands coming up to catch Tara’s hand.

“So what were you picking up off the floor?” Tara asked, voice soft. There was a distinctive feeling of closeness in the air between them and she tried to distract them. If Willow wanted to propose, had been thinking about it, she wanted to let her do it in her own way. She knew perfectly well what she would say if Willow asked, and hoped that Willow knew it too and wouldn’t honestly be surprised by her answer.

Willow blushed, pushing herself up to lean against the base of their bed, still embarrassed about their misunderstanding. “Oh, I was practicing with some of the little stuff around the room and I dropped some of it, so I was just getting it up.”

“How’s it going?” Tara asked, giving her a reassuring smile.

Willow shrugged. “I’m still staying small. It feels okay.”

“Can we try something small together?”

“Anytime, baby,” Willow responded, smirking cheekily. “Oh, did you mean do spells, because that’s okay too. Not as good as the other thing though.” Tara swatted her arm and Willow caught her hand, dropping her restraints and letting herself feel Tara. Her connection and contact with Tara was the only time she let herself go entirely, relaxing the tight control she kept over herself to touch Tara’s essence.

Tara sucked in a surprised breath, not expecting Willow’s complete surrender but matching it with her own. They were completely open to each other like this. There were no secrets, nothing hidden that the other couldn’t see. Tara’s power expanded Willow’s own, drawing her into the world, the powerful connection to life around her that Tara maintained without effort. It was simple and beautiful and no matter how many times Willow touched it, it continually overwhelmed her. They were still seated on the floor of their room, but she could hear the birds outside, the dry crackle of leaves in grass, feel the slow but steady growth of fresh grass, new life coming forward at the advent of Spring.

Their fingers twined, palms flat against each other and Willow opened her eyes without realizing that she’d closed them. “How was that?” she asked breathily, laughing shakily. She lifted one finger slowly and a framed picture of Buffy, Dawn, and Joyce floated up with it. She twirled her finger in a slow loop and the photo followed her finger obediently.

“You don’t need me to do that,” Tara said, amused.

In response Willow snapped her fingers and set a spark alight at the end of her finger. Tara watched as it faded from red to green and blue and stopped. Willow leaned forward and held the finger up next to Tara’s eyes, her own eyes flickering back and forth between Tara’s eyes and the flame, adjusting the color carefully.

“I don’t have to see them to be able to do this,” Willow confessed in a whisper, smiling and sticking the tip of her tongue between her teeth. “I could never forget this color.” The color steadied and she leaned back, satisfied.

“Cute,” Tara said, laughing.

“Oh, cute?” Willow questioned, her eyes narrowing as she concentrated, the color darkening. “What about that?”

Tara blinked, not sure of the significance of the new color. “What about that?”

Willow cocked an eyebrow at her, swallowing thickly. “I guess you don’t see it as much as I do,” she conceded, eyes lingering on the blue flame before she blew it out.

“Are you going to make me guess?” Tara asked softly.

Willow’s eyes met hers and the redhead shook from side to side. “I love your eyes. I can see through you. Did you know they change colors, though? It’s gorgeous.” She flicked her finger and the flame came back to life, a blue fireball balanced on the palm of her free hand. She looked up from the fire to Tara’s eyes, the reflection of the flames on her face. “There it is,” she whispered, closing her fist around the fire.

“What?” Tara’s question was whispered, barely audible.

Willow didn’t speak for a moment, shifting closer and leaning her head forward to press a kiss to her lover’s forehead, lips moving to either side to kiss her eyelids. “Your eyes get dark when you want me.” Willow breathed the words straight into her ear and Tara shivered, fingers tightening around Willow’s fingers. Their powers were still locked together, the connection sending sparks of feeling into the miniscule space between their palms.

Tara’s eyes were struggling to stay all the way open, lids fluttering as she tried to catch her breath. “Willow…” Her words were cut off as Willow captured her lips, free hand cupping her cheek. The redhead moved closer, on her knees in front of Tara. Tara could only blink as Willow was gone again as quickly as she’d kissed her. “Huh?” the blonde gaped dumbly, staring at her as Willow jumped to her feet and pulled Tara up after her. “Will, what are you…?”

“You just stay there,” Willow directed, waving her back as she rooted through a drawer. She found what she was looking for and returned to stand in front of Tara, kissing her again quickly and then dropping to her knees. Tara was staring down at her, jaw hanging. “Don’t say anything,” Willow requested. “I know this is weird and I might be screwing it up, but I want, no, I need to do this, and you’re so beautiful, and I love you so much…” She paused, taking a deep breath. “Ignore the rambling, please, and let me start something that sounds good, or better.” She groaned, squeezing her eyes closed. “You have to believe me that I’m serious about this and I had a speech planned out, I’m just nervous.”

Tara giggled and covered her mouth with both hands, forcing herself to breathe deeply. “Y-you, you’re n-not serious.” Willow opened her hand and revealed the ring and Tara’s eyes widened. “Y-you’re serious…”

“I’m in love with you, Tara. And we were just talking about this, and I said I was going to wait and do it right, but who says this isn’t the right way, you know? I’m in love with you and I want to marry you. I know it seems sudden, or whatever, but I want to ask you to be my wife. I love you, and I want to be with you forever. I’m yours, for the rest of our lives. Would you do me the incredible honor of becoming my wife? I’ll take care of you, and make you happy, and…”

Tara’s hand landed over her mouth, the blonde blinking at her. “Just g-give me a s-second here,” she requested, smiling crookedly. Willow nodded, one hand curling around the hand on her lips, pulling it down to kiss the back of it. “You w-want to g-get married…” Willow nodded without lifting her lips from their place on Tara’s skin. “Y-you want t-to marry m-me?” The redhead nodded again, lowering the restraints on her power, letting her connection to Tara surge to the forefront. They both gasped, overwhelmed with each other, and Tara could feel Willow’s honest love. Willow was frowning though, a strange look of concentration on her face.

“There’s something…”

Tara heard Willow speak a split second before she felt sharp pain and fell to the ground as Willow dove forward and tackled her. Everything was loud, Willow’s rapid breathing harsh in her ears. There were other sounds too, birds and wind and a strange crunching noise she couldn’t quite place. And then Willow was chanting her name, her voice wild and frantic. The redhead’s anxious face popped into her sight and she blinked up at her. “There’s s-something on your shirt,” she said, one hand trembling as it reached up to touch the spot, strange and sudden red stains on Willow’s shirt.

Willow was having the opposite problem, not hearing anything but the pounding of her own heart in her ears. Tara’s blood was burning hot on her hands, more pouring out with every beat. “Shh, it’s okay. You’re going to be okay. Be still, please,” she pleaded, the words inaudible over her panic. Tara’s life was being pumped into her hands and she couldn’t think, couldn’t do anything. She’d felt the shot coming, the incredible connection to life and nature that she got through Tara had saved her life, given her just a half of a second to react, try and drive Tara out of the way.

The bullet had still hit her, though higher than it would have if Willow hadn’t shoved her. It was clear of her heart, but was still bleeding heavily. Willow pressed her fingers tighter against the wound, trying desperately to clear her head, think of something to do to stop this. Tara couldn’t just be gone. It was unthinkable. Without her, she was unthinkable.

Every dark thing she’d ever learned was screaming inside her, clamoring to get out, for revenge. And if Tara’s life slipped away from her, she honestly didn’t know if she’d be able, or even want, to stop herself from releasing every horrible impulse in her mind. She shoved it down, squeezing her eyes closed and taking a deep breath. She almost gagged on the smell of the blood, thick in the air, the heat and slickness of it against her palms. She forced herself to concentrate and apply pressure, trying to remember any first aid she’d ever learned.

“Tara, baby, can you hear me?” she questioned, the blonde’s eyes closed. The blood flow was slowing down, but Tara didn’t respond. Willow felt tears burning her eyes and her blurred vision found the ring she’d bought for Tara on the carpet. It was shining in the afternoon sunlight through the window, surrounded by halos of white light through her tears. She steadied her breathing with extreme effort, quieting the angry, demanding voices in her mind. She extended her power tentatively, not sure what she was doing, what she would find, but then she reached Tara, her spirit still there and strong, and Willow almost fainted in relief. Her powers stretched further, exploring the wound. The bullet had gone straight through, and she touched the hole with her abilities, repairing the damage as she found it, carefully and slowly.

Her concentration was disrupted as a siren pulled up outside and she did the first thing that sprang to mind and screamed at the top of her lungs, praying that the hole in the window would let someone hear her. Tara groaned, stirring under her hands, but didn’t wake up.

And then Xander was there, falling to his knees on the other side of Tara’s body. “Oh God, Will. What happened?”

“You tell me,” she demanded. “What the hell is going on out there?”

“Warren,” he answered. “He shot Buffy.”

“And Tara,” Willow growled, her rage screaming again now that she had a name, a target for her fury. “He shot my Tara.”

He frowned at her, shaking his head. “Hey, focus! We’ve got to get them to the hospital,” he reminded her. “Keep pressure on it, and I’m going to go get the EMTs.” He was gone a moment later, leaving Willow alone with her furious anger. And Tara. The blonde stirred weakly, groaning and drawing Willow’s attention.

The stretcher was there then, the techs pushing Willow back out of their way and Xander had to catch her around the waist to keep her from fighting her way back to Tara’s side. “Willow, no! We’ll go with them to the hospital.” She went limp at the sight of Tara, pale and bleeding on the gurney.

“She can’t die,” Willow gasped, part of her surprised that she could speak at all. She turned in his arms, clinging to him with both hands. “I can’t lose her, Xander!”

“She’s not going to die,” Xander said, guiding her head to his shoulder. The EMTs were gesturing behind Willow and he guided her with him to follow them. His arm curled over her shoulder and he jumped as he stepped on the broken glass, looking down at his feet. Willow started to follow the doctors but couldn’t move for Xander being frozen. “Uh, Will, what’s that?”

Willow followed his eyes, finding the ring on the floor in front of his foot. She bent and picked it up, choking on sudden tears. The ring trembled between her fingers as her hands shook. Her eyes were wide, jaw hanging. One of the EMTs stomped back up the stairs, calling to them and Xander shook her gently. Her eyes found his as his hand covered hers. Nerveless fingers dropped the ring into his palm and he curled his arm around her shoulder again, guiding her toward the stairs.

The ambulance rocked as they drove to the hospital, both gurneys meaning that Xander and Willow were in his car behind them. Willow was out of the car almost before it was parked, Xander having to chase her through the parking lot to catch up. Buffy and Tara were both already in surgery and Willow could only pace anxiously in the waiting room, the floodgates of her rage held back only by the steady beating of Tara’s heart in her ears. She put all of her energy into maintaining the connection, everything she’d learned about control put to the test.

It felt like an eternity before they were allowed in to see Tara, the Slayer still in surgery. Tara was under blankets and wires, pale but breathing. Willow slumped weakly into the chair beside the bed, her hands shaking as she struggled to resist casting. The doctors had finished repairing a nicked artery, commenting that it had curiously already started to heal, drawing a look from Xander to Willow, but the redhead was much too distracted to notice. When the doctor excused himself, Xander followed him out, giving Willow her privacy.

Tara was unconscious, but her fingers twitched against Willow’s touch and the redhead took a deep, shuddering breath. Tara’s fingers were cold from blood loss and Willow covered both hands with her own in an effort to warm them up. She couldn’t think, couldn’t do anything but keep her eyes trained on the steady rise and fall of Tara’s chest. Tara was still alive. It echoed in her mind at the rhythm of the blonde’s heartbeat. Time was measured in the interminable quiet between beats. She didn’t move her eyes, tried not to even blink, scared that the first time her eyes flickered from their vigil, her second chance would be lost, never to be had again.

A curious thing happened then, as she sat waiting for any sign of wakefulness from Tara. Sitting and waiting, nothing to do but wait and pray, she caught herself studying Tara, her mind filled with flashes of memories, everything she knew, everything she loved about her. And as she thought and remembered, she could feel her rage growing quieter. No matter what happened, Tara wouldn’t want her to feel like this, to seek revenge. She had a feeling that without everything she’d learned, all the study and practice she’d been doing, her attitude wouldn’t have been nearly so forgiving.

Xander returned, but she couldn’t have said how long he’d been gone, shutting the door with a quiet click behind him. “Will, I need to talk to you,” he started hesitantly. She didn’t respond, maintaining her vigilant focus. “Will, Willow, it’s Buffy.” His voice was hoarse and she finally looked up, turning on her seat to look at him. She’d been almost entirely focused on Tara, but Xander looked as bad or worse than she did herself. He was pale and tired, his shirt covered in Buffy’s blood. “They’re saying she’s not going to make it.”

Willow blinked, outwardly calm. Last time she’d tried to help Buffy, she’d done nothing but screw up all of their lives. This wasn’t the same thing. The Slayer wasn’t dead yet. “No,” she declared softly and he swallowed thickly. “We’re not losing her again.” She stood up from her seat, pressing shaking hands flat against her legs to steady them. “Stay with Tara,” she directed, leaning over to kiss her beloved’s forehead. He didn’t speak as she turned and walked past him, moving to the door. “Xander, if…if something goes wrong…”

“I’ll take care of her,” he promised. Willow looked down at his hand as it appeared over her shoulder, Tara’s ring cupped in his palm. “She’s going to want you to give her this back.” She took it gingerly, pinching it up between two fingers and his hand retreated to grip her shoulder, squeezing hard once before he let her go.

Merry Whatever-winter-holiday-you-celebrate! And sorry about the tiny cliffie/more intense chapter as your Christmas surprise... that's just how they fell for the double chapter this weekend...

ETA: Yes, Laragh, there will be another chapter on Tuesday - so you won't have to wait very long!

Last edited by leonhart17 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:02 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Dibs!

Thanks for the song link, I had heard it but not in years! :D

I was so confused there for a minute but haha @ Tara thinking Willow was going to propose! You know my theory, every story should have a W/T proposal and/or baby!

Quote:
Tara sucked in a surprised breath, not expecting Willow’s complete surrender but matching it with her own. They were completely open to each other like this. There were no secrets, nothing hidden that the other couldn’t see. Tara’s power expanded Willow’s own, drawing her into the world, the powerful connection to life around her that Tara maintained without effort. It was simple and beautiful and no matter how many times Willow touched it, it continually overwhelmed her. They were still seated on the floor of their room, but she could hear the birds outside, the dry crackle of leaves in grass, feel the slow but steady growth of fresh grass, new life coming forward at the advent of Spring.

Well now, that was just a little bit beautiful, wasn't it? :)

Proposal!! :shock

YOU CHOOSE THAT MOMENT TO REENACT THE SHOOTING?!

Jeez, now I know how all you guys felt when it happened in mine!

Please don't let Willow fall off the wagon to help Buffy :(

And dear sweet jesus, let the first words out of Tara's mouth when she wakes up to be yes, yes, yes!!!

You're still updating Tuesday, right? The suspense is killing me!!

(Wonderful chapter!!)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:59 pm 

MAGGIE!!!!

I can't believe I missed the first of my two-part post request! :blush

Thanks so much for posting. I am continually amazed by writers (such as yourself) who can take us from the best of times to the worst of times and have it feel holistic and natural, without being jarred even as one sweeping emotion gives way to another completely different. Here follows a series of ridiculously long quotes for moments I really love:

Quote:
“Oh, Buffy just went outside with Xander.” She put her school bag down next to the dresser and straightened a picture frame that was sitting on top of the dresser. “Will, what…” Tara froze as she turned from the chest of drawers and noticed the redhead’s posture. “Um, oh…”

Willow looked confused, glancing down at herself and then up at Tara and finally to her hands cupping something invisible from Tara’s point of view. “Oh! Tara, oh no!”

The blonde had one hand covering her mouth, struggling to hear over the sudden pounding of her heart in her ears. “You-you’re not…are you?”

“No! I mean, you don’t want to, do you?” Willow asked, starting to move before she remembered that she was still on her knees. Her arms pin-wheeled wildly for a long moment before she crashed to the floor. Tara was quick to get to her side, though she had to pull back her hands as Willow started swatting at the carpet with both hands, her voice muffled as she cursed into the floor.

She was still eventually, Tara sitting on the floor beside her when she finally lifted her head. Tara had both arms curled around her bent up knees. “Are you okay?” Tara asked, trying not to laugh.

Willow groaned, rolling over to put her head in the blonde’s lap. “Yes, unless embarrassment can really kill you.”

“Don’t be embarrassed,” Tara said, combing her fingers through her partner’s hair. “I w-was just s-surprised.”

“But I wanted to do it right, with a ring and a nice outfit, but I was still going to get down on my knee, of course, and we were going to go out to dinner…”

“You want to get married?” Tara interrupted her to ask, fingers frozen where they were buried in red hair. Willow blinked, realizing how much she’d said and she blushed brightly, mouth hanging open as she tried to think of anything to say.

“Do you?” was all she could come up with.

Tara smiled softly, hesitating teasingly. “That would be telling,” she said, leaning over and pressing a kiss to her lover’s forehead. “Ask me nicely and I’ll answer you.”

Willow didn’t speak for a long moment, swallowing thickly. “I think I want to be surprised,” she said, voice hoarse and thick with emotion. She stared up at Tara, their eyes locked, and Tara’s fingers traced over her face gently. Willow kissed the fingers as they touched her lips, her hands coming up to catch Tara’s hand.

I love, love, love this moment where Tara thinks Willow is proposing and teases her so lovingly!

Quote:

I love how deeply and truly they adore one-another, the honesty that you've made inherent to their relationship.

Quote:
Willow didn’t speak for a moment, shifting closer and leaning her head forward to press a kiss to her lover’s forehead, lips moving to either side to kiss her eyelids. “Your eyes get dark when you want me.” Willow breathed the words straight into her ear and Tara shivered, fingers tightening around Willow’s fingers. Their powers were still locked together, the connection sending sparks of feeling into the minuscule space between their palms.

This gives me chills and goosebumps every time. Unspeakably hot.

Quote:
A curious thing happened then, as she sat waiting for any sign of wakefulness from Tara. Sitting and waiting, nothing to do but wait and pray, she caught herself studying Tara, her mind filled with flashes of memories, everything she knew, everything she loved about her. And as she thought and remembered, she could feel her rage growing quieter. No matter what happened, Tara wouldn’t want her to feel like this, to seek revenge. She had a feeling that without everything she’d learned, all the study and practice she’d been doing, her attitude wouldn’t have been nearly so forgiving.

And all is right in the universe. Thank you Maggie, for writing this beautiful fic. You rock!