The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Changes (updated 6/11/10)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:21 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 1
Replies:

leonhart- Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up on the double post… I wouldn't have noticed.
I'm not sure that anyone will know Tara is gone soon enough to do any good. Buffy's out of town. Giles and Xander are pissed. Riley's never been shown to spend any time with her. Anya to the rescue? Hmm. Not likely that she'd find out either.

Zampsa- Tara's happiness being in Willow has never been in question. Figuring out how to make this possible has been the issue… and they haven't made any real progress. Somehow Mr. and Mrs. Maclay made it work for a great many years, so it was well nigh inevitable that Tara would try to find out how.

SJ- Thank you, as always.

-Never
-----

By the way- I ran across an amusing and rather thorough rundown of vampire population dynamics in Sunnydale here. I'm going with the more conservative number of 13-18 vampires in town at any given time, as who these vamps are is likely to be in constant flux due to turnings/infighting deaths/transients/slayings. Perhaps 3-5 of these are the semi-permanent population. I assume that most vampire 'deaths' are not via Slayer, but either other vampires or sundry demons.

Post subject: Re: Changes (updated 6/11/10)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:14 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Ch 18, Pt II

"… so the little squirt whines 'nobody runs anymore' right before Giles nails her with his axe."

Willow was dimly aware that someone was holding her hand gently, the rough calluses telling her it must be Xander. She cracked an eye open and confirmed her suspicion, her mouth drawing up in a smile as she turned her face to look at him straight on. Her neck screamed at her that this was foolish, but her mind told it 'pfft' and basked in the relief she saw bloom in her friend's face.

"Hey." Her voice was all croaky, which was wrong in an ickily amphibious sort of way. The one word also showed her how dry and sore her throat was and she grimaced reflexively.

"Wills?" Xander spoke tentatively, his happiness held in check by something that made him hesitant to express it.

"That's me." She started to bring up a hand to her throat, but quickly learned the error of her ways when her IV twisted slightly in her arm, "Owie."

"Don't bend it too much or the alarm'll start up again." Xander pointed to the pump on a pole beside her. Willow glared at it, shaking a mental fist at it for its tacit threat and wondering why the phrase 'haustorial root' came to mind. "How do you feel?"

The redhead thought about it, wiggling her toes experimentally. Sore. Fingers? Sore. Deep breath to check her ribs- ouch. "Like I got hit by a truck… I didn't, right?" She tried to think back, her memory not producing immediately a reason for her state of discomfort.

"You don't remember?" Xander's voice gained an edge. "She did this to you- Tara."

Willow was remembering bits and pieces now. Vamp fighting when patrol went south- that would be some of the soreness. Tara going through the shock of her first life-or-death battle, something the redhead had forgotten the feeling of but recognized in an instant. The reaction that followed was not entirely unexpected, especially once she realized that her protective charm was missing, but Tara's actions had been right there with her. It was just as well- that had been the plan if vamp-bitey-ness didn't work, and skipped over the awkward 'so, uh, I guess we go to plan B' discussion. Willow kept her self-satisfied grin off her face in deference to Xander's growing agitation.

"Well, I s'pose that's a good reason for the full body pretended-to-be-the-floor-for-Riverdance feeling." She shrugged stiffly. The feeding effect really was worse the second time around. Even the little motion seemed to take so much out of her, like pushing through sand. This didn't bode well- they were still no closer to a decent way to help Tara. Speaking of which…"Is Tara here?"

"Will, she could have killed you-" Something in Xander's face made her wonder if there wasn't some piece of this story she wasn't getting.

"I guess that makes her officially part of the gang, huh." Willow tried to make light of it, but Xander wasn't playing along, avoiding her eyes. She let her smile fade away to solemnity. "Hey- I knew it was dangerous-"

"We didn't know if you were gonna make it, okay," he burst out, his grip on her hand tightening sharply. "You had this megaton seizure- they were talking brain damage cuz you stopped breathing so long."

Willow's mind went on full stop. She tried to figure out how to do brain-checks. Hey Brain! What are we going to do tonight? … nevermind… Self diagnostics could wait for when she didn't have company- it wasn't like she could do anything about it now. She'd assumed something had scared Tara into taking her to the hospital, but nothing of that magnitude. "I… i-is she okay?"

"Her? Oh, she's peachy." Xander scoffed with a look usually reserved for Angel. "Keen even."

"This isn't her fault."

"Which part? The one where she sucks the life out of my best friend? Or the part where she does it again?" Xander had abandoned her hand in favor of broad gesticulation.

"That's not fair." He could be such an ass sometimes, and unfortunately he never figured out when to keep it to himself. If he'd dropped all this on Tara, she'd… A pool of dread began to form in the pit of her stomach. "Xan… where is she?"

"I don't know. I don't care- she did this spell thing when you were in the ICU the day before yesterday and she must've come back when she left that-" He jerked his chin at an envelope on the bedside table.

Willow reached for it and managed to make her IV pump start chiming loudly in her ear before Xander picked up the letter and passed it to her. "Lemme get the nurse to turn that damned thing off."

The redhead nodded absently, a warm blanket of fatigue starting to resettle over her mind. Even these few minutes and she could feel her eyes wanting to close again. Sleep had to wait its turn. She tore open the envelope carefully, brow knitting. Tara would be taking this hard- of that she was sure. She blinked a few times to clear her eyes before starting to read.

In the few minutes Xander was gone all trace of sleepiness was banished. She'd tried to sit up, only to have the world black out for a moment and her strength fail her, falling back to the bed with a pained moan. To add insult to injury, she realized that she really needed to pee. And blow her nose- her sinuses felt like someone had jammed them full of cotton. Stupid practicalities needed to go away- this was serious.

"Hey- hold it. What part of 'you were just in the ICU' did you not get?" Xander rushed over, a nurse trailing at more leisurely rate behind him.

"A phone- there's a phone here, right?" Willow's eyes darted around the room, landing on the sliding table that sat just out of reach. She made an imperious 'gimme' gesture.

"I need you to straighten your arm, honey." Marlene, as her badge proclaimed her, shut off the annoying beeping before giving Willow a look that expected to be obeyed. Willow frowned in annoyance, but dutifully dropped her right arm and reached with her left for the phone Xander was passing her.

"What did you say to her?" Willow glared at her friend, punching the digits by memory. Xander's face closed off. The other end of the line rang, rang, rang again. "She's already gone… She left, Xander- she went home."

"Well excuse me if I don't cry too hard." He was looking out her window, giving the nurse room to check one of the bags at the head of the bed.

Willow pressed the button to hang up and dropped the phone to the bed, closing her eyes and asking any local divinities for patience. Xander meant well, he really did. He was on her side, come hell or high water- which was usually a big check in the "yay" column- but this time he had targeted the wrong enemy. Tara already sucked up guilt like one of those animal shaped sponges you dropped in water when you were a kid and there was no question in her mind that Xander had given her girlfriend plenty to soak in.

She tried to take a calming breath, centering in that placid space within in the way Tara had taught her. The way Tara, who had been driven away, had taught her. Tara, who was going alone to face a man she had given up everything she'd known to escape, but had never fully freed herself from.

Willow exhaled in a slow, tight stream, losing all hope of inner peace. Xander meant well- she repeated it to herself three times before she spoke, not opening her eyes.

"I think you need to leave now."

"Will, it's not like she isn't coming back." He had to have heard her restrained anger, but Xander was Xander. He just didn't see what he'd done. Nothing she could say would make him understand, either, so she just waited. "They said they knew what to do…"

"Hun," the nurse addressed Xander this time with the generic moniker, "sounds like visiting time is over."

"Sure, right, got it. Going."

He would have his hands up, retreating but not conceding the argument. He meant well. He really did… but she still wanted to give him a very loud piece of her mind and that wasn't going to make anything get any better… except maybe her sense of justice.

"Buffy's mom got through her surgery okay." Xander's voice reached her from the doorway, "I thought you should know." With a squeak of his shoes on the linoleum he was gone.

"It's good to see you waking up, hun." Marlene touched her shoulder and Willow finally opened her eyes, looking up at the nurse. "We see this all the time- folks get angry when they're scared and what happened to you certainly gave them a reason to worry."

Willow nodded mutely. The nurse pulled a little wheeled machine over bearing an automatic blood pressure machine, the cuff of which she slid over Willow's arm with practiced ease.

"Ow-" The machine seemed to have decided that her arm needed a tourniquet, but released in little increments over the next few seconds.

"Much better." Marlene made a note on the clipboard in her hand, speaking as much to the paper as to Willow.

"When can I leave?" She started putting together what she wanted to take with her. Her mother would let her take the car if she asked, though if she started getting as drowsy when she drove as she was now…

"I can't say for sure, but don't make any plans just yet- you've been through a lot these past couple of days."

"Can I… get up, at least?" She tried push away the fatigue again. It laughed and pushed her back.

"Not yet, hun, you'll fall right back over."

"But I…" Her cheeks flushed with heat and her voice dropped to just above a whisper, "I really need to pee."

"Don't worry about it- that's the catheter. We'll get that taken out soon, but for now just try to relax."

Willow had never been in this kind of situation before. When she'd been in the hospital before she'd been able to get up and move around. When she'd had the flu while her parents were away she'd been okay. Even when she was stuck in Tara's room she'd had the wherewithal to take care of herself. To be so weak that she couldn't even sit up, utterly dependent on a total stranger for the most basic functions, was proving a humiliation that she didn't know how to couch in her mind.

She brought her left hand up to rub her nose again, something tickling despite the stuffed sensation. Her arm protested that it had already done its work for the moment, but she willed it where she wanted it.

"Ah- don't touch." Marlene fixed her with a lightly reproving brown eye. "The packing won't be changed for another day, and you're not the one who's going to do it."

"Packing?" She settled in knuckling the side of her nose, which was better than nothing but immensely unsatisfying.

"You were bleeding pretty badly when your blood pressure peaked, hun, and they had to pack your nasal passages with thrombin soaked gauze to stop it."

Packing in her nose, another delightful concept. It seemed odd that she'd get a spell-bleed from what Tara had done, but she supposed it made some sense. In their working hypothesis, Tara was feeding first off of her magic, and then the rest. It could be that when her other resources ran low enough, the magic tried to fill in and she ended up overdrawing the account.

"A gusher?" She poked her nose again experimentally.

"Old Faithful, though thankfully not as frequent." Marlene matched her little grin. "You get some rest now, y'hear?"

She couldn't rest. She had to… had to…

By the time her nurse pushed away her little machine, Willow was fast asleep.

---------------------------

It had taken one transfer in LA, followed by two city buses before Tara had arrived at a Super 8 motel just one more bus ride from home. The delay was unavoidable given the hour she'd arrived- there were only two times that the bus ran where she was going. She'd slept late from still-spell-shocked fatigue, though if she was honest with herself, also from the dread of what she had to do.

Walking up from the bus stop, school bag with her overnight gear over her shoulders, she squinted through the spattered sunlight that pierced the veil of leaves overhead. There was dust in the air, smelling faintly of a yard trash-fire, the morning frost having long since evaporated into the growing warmth of the day. The houses were spread out here, divided by rows of eucalyptus or oleanders, their yards just stubbled in the first green of winter.

She'd tried to explain to a Midwestern classmate about California seasons; the rain and green of winter followed by the gloom of spring and the dry, brown summer. It had made little impression on the girl, who continued to complain bitterly about missing the 'real' seasons. She'd been homesick, a thing that Tara had never felt. She'd been amazed that Tara wasn't going home for the winter break, offering to drive her when she found out it was in the same state. Tara had refused, citing a volunteer project and a short term job that she'd gotten for the library's special collections' latest exhibition. It came naturally, as it always had, to avoid sharing the things that made home… not home.

It was hard to describe why she'd had to leave this place. Despite Donny's attempted machismo, no one had ever struck her. There had been few arguments and even fewer raised voices. Anger wasn't tolerated, at least, not the expression of it. She'd never had to miss a meal or wonder where she'd sleep. As her father had oft told her, she lived the life of a princess compared to most of the world. There was nothing to point to.

She couldn't very well say "he told me I'm a demon, doomed to constant struggle with the evil that lies within me". People would laugh and ask what the real reason was, then walk away talking about the lying freak.

Tara's shoes hit the gravel of the driveway with a crunch of broken hopes, and she dropped her head against the sun's glare as the trees fell away behind her. A mocking bird trilled in the distance, answered by the rapid-fire twitter of a hummingbird. The house was set back between the rise of two hills, in shadow for most of the summer, while gaining the best of the winter light. The mini-valley was greener than most of the surrounding lots, the only downside of which being that there was an incremental increase in wild critters as well. Her father had waged a constant war on the local coyotes, raccoons, and especially snakes. He'd always hated snakes.

The truck that Donny had been working on since high school was still up on blocks beside the garage. The only change she could see was that he'd taken the hood off and at least one of the visible parts looked like it was new. The house looked as it always had, hanging planters as bare as they'd been since her mother died but otherwise all in order. The porch swing moved lazily as a ground squirrel leapt off, fleeing in a grey-brown blur. It was the only real porch in the neighborhood- her father had built it when she was barely old enough to remember, jealous of Donny getting to help him hammer.

The place was quiet and Tara hesitated at the door, wondering whether to knock. Her father would be somewhere on the property, but he seldom spent a Saturday indoors. There was always too much to do, and even if there weren't, he'd find something to make it too much.

Idle and lazy are indistinguishable, Tara.

She rapped on the door before she could lose her nerve, stepping back and listening hard for the sound of footsteps. She used to be able to detect her father from the sound of his steps on the gravel when he came home, his gait discernable in some indescribable way from even her brother's, but clear to her by the tension that would knot inside. Then would come the shame, for feeling such a thing about her own father. The rustle of leaves and another cry of the mocking bird were all that reached her.

Tara reached down to the doorknob, not sure if she still had the right to just walk in, even if it were unlocked.

You know you can go in, Tara. This is still your home. Always was. Always will be.

No, not for a while… Her eyes widened. She was answering a voice that hadn't been in her head.

She cast her gaze over the porch, seeing her father walking from around the side with a tool box in hand. They didn't say a word as he ascended the steps and set his tools aside on the swing. She saw the dust on his shoes, the frayed hem of his jeans, studying them before she realized she had stepped back in silence on his approach.

"I'd have picked you up at the station if you told me when you were coming." It was a gentle reproof, implying in tone that he found it disrespectful to have had his offer declined. Respect meant everything in the Maclay family, and this was a lapse, as with every lapse, that would be remembered.

It doesn't matter if he remembers it. I'm not staying.

"Line this up for me, will you." He handed her a piece of cut and finished wood, nodding towards the end of the porch. Tara looked and saw the gap in the slats of the railing along the side. She set aside her backpack and squatted down, trying not to let too much of her skirt dip into the film of sawdust at her feet. Her father took out his level, slipped a couple nails in his shirt pocket, and checked the hammer he'd hooked on his belt before heading back around the front of the porch.

He worked in silence adjusting, readjusting, frowning, stepping away, adjusting again. With a look of frustration he glanced at the slats to the left, four of which Tara could now see had been replaced recently. Again the words could have been kind, if not for the resentment. "I never had your eye for this."

And the imperfections you see are because I wasn't here… I understand.

"Termites are tearing into everything these days." A few hammer strokes set the board in place and he eyed it critically. With a short nod the job was approved. Tara stood, brushing off her skirt and picking up her pack.

"You didn't bring much." Her father indicated her bag with a look.

"Just enough f-for a night or two." She cringed at the way her father's face darkened.

"And how did you decide that?"

"I j-just need to know what…" She swallowed, unable to meet his eyes. "-what mom..."

"Drop your things inside and I'll put these away. Then we'll talk." He turned away, picking up his tool box again and walking down the steps without looking to see if she complied.

There was no need. She always would.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TBC in Pt III>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

originally posted in chat 6/18/2010 at 9:10pm PST

Post subject: Re: Changes (updated 6/20/10)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:30 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

I'm glad she doesn't intend to stay long... hopefully (but I sort of doubt it) her father will tell her what she needs to know (or give her a place to start looking) and I hope Tara makes plans to go back to Sunnydale before Willow comes after her...

Great chapter!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:30 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... Big yay for Willow waking up... Xander sure is a thickheaded ass... I truly hope that Tara's visit to "home" will be a short one and that she learns all the answers she needs to live a happy life with Willow without endangering Willow...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:53 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great update.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:02 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Replies, then Update

leonhart- I'm curious about what you think will happen if/when Willow follows Tara to the Maclay homestead. As to Tara's intention not to stay- her father has the information, her father wants her to stay… I'm not sensing a big reason for him to hand her a file with all she needs to know and bid her good day.

Zampsa- Willow waking up is also convenient for flipping around locations and POV, as I find writing the Tara At Home stuff to be difficult. The process of getting the information may not be smooth, but I don't think Tara is going anywhere until she has an answer of some kind to their dilemma.

-----------------------

Ch 18 Pt III
Aaaaaangst! You have been warned.
---------

Tara closed the front door quietly, the little click seeming to run deep through her bones.

The entryway rug had been replaced, but the Kanon statue still stood serenely gazing at all who passed through the door. It had kept that vigil for as long as she could remember, and she trailed her fingers along the base as she passed. There was a tracing of dust there, something that had never occurred while her mother was alive. When running through the list of chores, her father never assumed that "done" meant it was really done until he'd inspected.

It had thrown her, the first time she'd cleaned the room freshman year and her roommate hadn't immediately found a surface to rub a finger along and check for dust. There was a sense that something was missing.

So much had felt like it was missing, that first year. Meeting people, and not having to explain why they would be useful friends. Not having to explain to a potential friend, rare enough as it was, why she couldn't go to the movies, to the coffee shop, to the club meetings. Not having to explain to her father why she would want to go out. "I want to" was worth nothing in this house.

What you want? Now it's all about you, Tara? Your mother needs you here.

Funny how what you wanted done was always 'for Mama'. Even what you decided she had to do- it was always because you wanted the best for her, and she wasn't capable of seeing what the best thing was- not the way you could.

Little had changed as Tara drifted from dining room through the arch that connected it to the kitchen. The floors were immaculate, nothing was out of place. Outside of the things her father had brought back from his tour of duty abroad, there were few decorations. The Navy's crest hung prominently over the television, her father's pips and decorations in a frame underneath it. Always there, central, a plain reminder of what she'd heard a hundred times over.

You have no idea what I've sacrificed for you, Tara… If I didn't have to take care of your mother, I'd have been a Master Chief by now.

It always continued. When her father was upset, they had to listen, sometimes for hours, while he explained in detail how he was up-and-coming in the Navy, knew the right people, worked harder than anyone else, and gave it all up because he loved his family… so why couldn't they try a little harder for him? There was only one answer to the story of woe- "I'll do my best, sir."

Then they would do their best.

And it would not be enough.

"Place's falling apart since your mother died."

Tara jumped, so lost in thought that she hadn't heard her father enter. That would never have happened in the old days. While not a noisy man, she and Donny had always had some instinctive understanding of his whereabouts. When he entered the room, you had to be prepared to answer for anything you were doing, and it had best be a rational, well thought out response that could stand cross-examination. Otherwise your activities would be changed, because you didn't know how to spend your time. He knew. That's what fathers are for.

She hadn't seen it that way when she lived here. All she knew was the humiliation of his mocking when her justifications weren't good enough. Being reminded of it next week, next month, next year… it wasn't like she was being locked in a closet. It was only words. He was just trying to help her do the right thing. He loved her. So why did it hurt?

Mr. Maclay settled down in his armchair, his eyes heavy on her. Tara wondered what she should say. What was there to say? He knew why she was here. Badgering would only upset him.

"Sit."

Tara sat across from him on the edge of the couch, hands knotted in her lap, where she stared at them. Her tail was mercifully cooperating with being shifted away. What would he have said, if she'd sat here, trying to find a way to sit comfortably?

"I had no idea it would take you this long to come back." Disappointment laced his words with sadness. "I simply had no idea that I could raise someone capable of that kind of selfishness. I told you we had to control what's inside you…"

She listened mutely. She had been selfish, more than he knew. Even knowing the danger, she had acted in her own interest, and now Willow was suffering for her transgression. Buffy had suffered for her. Even Mr. Giles' embarrassment was her doing. How many minds had she bent by refusing to return here? Realizing her father was waiting, she nodded her acknowledgement, not knowing the words to say.

"No one knows you like we do. We're your family. Why..?" His voice had started to raise, only to be cut off as he censored his own anger. She looked up momentarily, trying to gage his reactions. "You chose to hurt your friends for almost two weeks before you could find it in yourself to come home. If that's not evil, what do you call it?"

"We tried to…"

"To what?" He interrupted smoothly, brows in a rigid line. "Play trial and error? See if it would just stop by itself? You know better than that… How many had to die, Tara, before you could find it in yourself to admit you were wrong?"

"No one died, sir." He would have kept going. His questions were rhetorical, but this much she wouldn't let him believe of her.

"Do not lie to me." His voice remained even, but his hand smacked against the armrest in emphasis.

"No one died." It was fact. She would not retreat from the veracity of what she'd said- better proof than anything she'd done yet that things were not as they had been. Her father's eyes were suspicious, but there was also some doubt beginning to form at the unexpected resistance.

"But that wasn't a given, was it, Tara? It could have been a disaster, but you had to have it your way… and I don't think you're giving me the whole story." He leaned back, comfortable in his presumption. "Where are your friends? They made a big show for us- where are they now?"

"It was all pretty words, wasn't it, Tara. They found out what you are and that was all it took…" He watched her reaction closely. "Or is it more than that? Was one of them your first? Hoping, what, magic would make all right?"

She didn't reply, which was answer enough and righteousness settling back over him like a comfortable coat.

"You brought it on yourself- that's your right. But you brought it on to them too, Tara, and that… I thought I raised you better."

"I… they're not like most people, Daddy. They deal w-with demons, all kinds of demons-"

"-and that's why you tried to hide it from them? You said "I'm a demon, help me"? And they all chimed right in? Is that why you used your magic on them?"

"I was scared-" This too was not an answer- emotion never was.

"-but you couldn't come home? You always have a place here- you knew that. You have a family that loves you unconditionally… that would do anything for you."

She dropped her eyes.

"Am I so horrible that you had to abandon your brother, your home…" He shook his head with a sigh.

Yes. She tried to crush the thought before it formed, unwilling to believe that she would think that about someone she loved. He was a difficult man to live with, but he was honest, hard working, and generous to his community. She loved him. She still did, even knowing that she didn't like him. She didn't have to like him- he was family. You don't betray your family.

Her father was staring out the window now, turning the conversation, "Your cousin should be home soon… she just had morning classes today. For what they charge at that place, you'd think there'd be more class time."

"Beth is..?" She'd been surprised at Beth's presence in Sunnydale. She saw her cousin when the extended family came out west for Christmas every year, but they lived back in Nebraska. For all her father's talk of family loyalty, they'd only been to Nebraska once in her lifetime. Her grandparents invited them out for Thanksgiving every year, but there'd always been something to keep them home.

"We're putting her up while she goes to college. It's what you do for family." He paused. "She's been a real help around here… doesn't spend enough time studying though." He shrugged. "She'll find that out when her grades come."

Beth was family, but she wasn't expected to add up to much. She was, after all, the daughter of Tara's uncle, whom her father had determined was a lay-about sapping off the government for everything he was worth. He taught sixth to eighth grade math, which was something, her father had told her, that any high school graduate was perfectly capable of. He had the best benefits in the world, worked only 8-2:30, had three months of vacation a year, and when he was done he'd have a pension for life. Her father envied his brother, that much was clear, but made clear how little he valued the opinion of someone who, as he put it, doesn't know how the real world works.

Worse yet, her aunt didn't work. This was simply bizarre in her father's mind. Women were men's equals. They should work just as much as men. At home they did women's things, men did men's things.

"I didn't know… she knew about Mama?" and me?

"Your brother told her when we drove up."

Tara was sure Donny would regret that decision for a long, long time. Her brother had always had trouble keeping her father happy. He was supposed to become a Navy pilot, but his asthma kept him out of the service altogether. He was supposed to go to Caltech, become an engineer, but he didn't get accepted to the program. He worked as a mechanic- good, honest work, in her father's eyes, if a dead end in terms of a career- but he dreamed of developing games. He'd never been allowed to take the courses to pursue that- not so long as her father was footing the bill, and he refused to fill out financial aid forms for a college program that he swore would end in broken dreams and might-have-been stories. Whenever Donny wanted to pursue "a real career", her father would support him fully, but until then… she wondered if anything had changed in the last three years.

---------------

"Thanks mom. I'll call as soon I know when I'm going." Willow listened for the requisite 'Love you, and remember that you're picking us up at the airport on the 10th' and the following click before she hung up. One vehicle, check. She hadn't told her mother that she was calling from the hospital- no need to worry her parents with something she couldn't entirely explain to a parent half way around the world. Now it was down to when she could get out of bed and walk out. They weren't big on helping you get home when you signed out AMA, but this time there was no one who was going to be there to catch her if she fell. Quite literally.

She'd been strongly tempted to see if she could work together a spell of some sort, but then her brain reminded her that this was ill advised. She didn't have any books, her computer, or even the little notepad from her purse that she jotted nifty ideas on. She had no magicy components beyond her own blood to work with, and spilling her own blood? Counterproductive in this case, not to mention; ew. Besides, she didn't know the right rituals and ritual it would have to be. She'd done the most basic check on where she was standing in the magic reserve when she'd tried to subtly pull the edge of her curtain a smidge more closed. When low level telekinesis failed, pushing through something improvised was not an option.

Since talking to Xander Willow had been cycling between sleeping and wakefulness, with increasing lengths of the former offsetting decreasing of the latter. At near six pm here- almost nine am in Taipei, incidentally- she was enjoying being awake. Though bored. And very, very worried.

Half a dozen calls had gotten her nowhere in tracing the Maclay family homestead. If only she had her computer, it would have been cake. Cheesecake, even. With that super-sweet gooey cherry stuff dripping on top. But she was unwired, and stuck with talking to people. People who, in her opinion, needed to realize that when she said 'it's important', she wasn't meaning it in a 'trying to find a lost pal from grade school cuz he still owes me a buck' kind of way.

Other people needed to realize a few things too, she grumbled, staring at the ceiling for lack of anything else to do. Like why sending Tara packing was such a colossally idiotic thing to do. What made it all harder to swallow was that they didn't know anything about Tara's family beyond what they'd heard in the shop that night. As far as they knew, they were sending her back into Huck Finn, the Prequel, and nobody seemed to care. It was a side of people she considered her friends that she'd never wanted to see, though she'd been aware of it for a long time.

They had a point. Going back to the Maclay house had been the very unpleasant, but near inevitable next step. That they would be so spiteful as to send Tara back alone was what unsettled her.

Xander. To Xander, Tara was a demon. That's all he needed to know, and all that he would see. There were two kinds of demons, to him- those that hurt you now, and those that hurt you later. And the sad thing was, he was usually right… but not this time.

Giles. She wasn't as sure about him, but after the Buffy Incident, it was unlikely he'd completely let go of his feeling that Tara was responsible. What benefit of the doubt that her girlfriend had been given, though, would have disappeared. He would probably see the evidence of what Tara had done, regardless of the all-important 'why', and speak of trends and heading off a dark future. Willow had tried calling his house, before feeling like an idiot for forgetting that the Magic Box did brisk business on Saturday evenings, which had been quickly confirmed by four busy signals between her last period of consciousness and this one. To be honest, she wasn't sure what she'd have said to him beyond "how could you?!"

Anya would probably say something like "does that mean she won't be buying her components here anymore?" Or possibly rejoice that now her Xander-claim was safe from Draw-ish temptation. Willow glared at the florescent lights above her.

Where did Buffy fall in all of this? She might well be in her own world, taking care of her mother, utterly uncaring of such a mundane travesty. Slayer duties didn't extend to human cruelty, after all.

She sighed. Being spiteful was only good for about fifteen minutes of entertainment, and she wasn't tired. Still aching in that whole-body way, but not in the kind of pain she'd had that morning. She'd been through enough battering and bruising to know that it was far too soon to be as un-miserable as she was. Whatever Tara had done, Willow wanted to learn, despite the words of warning in the letter she'd left.

She glanced at the clock again, finding it ten minutes later than her last check. She hadn't even finagled fifteen minutes out of that spite. Maybe she should get a refund?

It was bad enough that Tara had left, but the worst of it was that all Willow could do was lie there with the knowledge that there were fifty Maclay households in California, one Donald Maclay in Malibu that she sincerely doubted was Donny, and the frustration that she could have the address, phone, and possibly the last state income tax forms of the family in three hours tops, if only she had a computer and a decent connection.

Right. Let's sing it! If I only had a brain… but no laptop. If I only had a heart… but my heart- she's gone. If I only had some nerve… I would have gone down there myself and gotten dear Mr. Maclay to give us the information without Tara having to… She frowned.

Willow shifted in bed as her insides twisted up yet again. Her blood pressure did the whacky when she got upset, per Candice, her latest nurse. Whacky in the blood pressure lead to headaches, more bleeding into her throat now that there was too much packing to let it go forward, and general nausea. How was she supposed to stay relaxed? Rest?

By admitting that there is nothing you can do except lay here and think a buncha 'shoulda, coulda, woulda', ignoring the 'what if's and 'might have been's. She felt her eyes starting to close again and could find no reason to keep them open. Not yet. Not when she was too weak to act on what she knew she needed to do.

Goddess, but she hated being helpless.

---------------

Tara's room had been left mostly unchanged since she'd left. The drawers of her dresser had been cleaned of the cloths she'd left behind, the desk cleared, the closet emptied- but even those things waited, boxed up in the garage. Her two posters were still up, Thelma and Louise forever laughing away their troubles, while the other was far more sedate. The book The Last Unicorn had meant many things to her, and finding a poster from the cartoon movie had made years of yard sale combing worthwhile. They had framed it, albeit in a cheap plastic liner. It seemed juvenile by the time she was in high school, or so Donny had told her time and time again, but it was more than simple nostalgia that had lead her to keep it in place.

Her cousin had been staying in this room, saving on rent what she lost from out-of-state tuition at UC San Diego. Without the dust and staleness of disuse, when Tara had stepped back into the room it didn't seem like some preserved piece of the past as she had expected. It was as if she had never left. Seeing some of Beth's textbooks and study materials on the desk had been a welcome sight, meager proof that this was someone else's room now.

Her father hadn't seen it that way. When Beth had come home, he'd told her of Tara's return and that she'd have to switch to the pullout in the living room. Tara's protest had fallen on deaf ears, the decision made, and Beth had yielded the space with good grace. Tara had expected resentment but Beth seemed genuinely happy that she'd returned. It was only natural for Tara to have her own room. The mood had chilled only when her intent to leave again was revisited during a tense and quiet dinner.

It seemed that Beth was cooking most nights from the way she gravitated toward the kitchen when the time came. The suspicion was confirmed by the familiarity with which she navigated, even down to unconsciously adjusting the cabinet door that had to be pushed down a tad before it would close properly. They'd chatted about nothing in the guise of amiable companionship, the words they had shared in Sunnydale swept aside as if they had never been said. The word 'demon' did not come up, but hung as smoke in the room, an unformed but inescapable presence. Beth scrutinized her surreptitiously, deftly finding reasons for her attention whenever Tara noticed.

From her cousin she learned the news of her father's back injury two months prior and how he'd forced himself to work despite the pain, keeping his unbroken record of never taking a sick day. Donny was still 'spinning his wheels', but was taking some mechanical engineering courses through UCSD. The two went by bus, despite the hour and a half trip, but this was hardly news. Her father had always maintained that cars were deadly, responsible for all too many inexperienced young people's deaths. It saved on parking fees and gas, was good for the environment, and best of all, you could study while riding.

This wasn't just a school policy. Using the family cars had to be approved by her father, but Donny buying his own had been ridiculed because they already had the two family vehicles, in addition to the seldom-used camper around the back. So long as they still worked, they would never be replaced- but her father had best be the one driving, since older cars weren't safe. It was all logical, and it all built a fence that kept his family close. He probably didn't see it. After all, it was just concern for their safety.

Dinner was a quiet affair, with Donny providing much of the talk. There were polite inquiries about her classes, her dorm, her friends, and her own few questions about the Soledad family down the road, the new Walmart that was a death knell to the local market. The Soledads still had the horses she'd learned to ride the back country on, but with Evangelina gone to Smith a year prior, they weren't getting exercised enough. Her father's disdain for the 'little girls school' was only mitigated by the fact that a full scholarship was involved- and even that earned his scorn as an 'affirmative action handout'.

As always, she had been careful of what she said, what she asked, what she did. Her father was not provoked, and the awkwardly cordial evening passed in painfully slow increments. She'd tried to ask about her mother's history, only to be met with an anger rarely present in her father's eyes and the question, asked ever so carefully, if she thought she was just going to 'get mine and get gone' with the information. All he wanted was to find out what she'd been up to these past three years- was it so much to ask?

He'd asked his questions, she'd answered, he'd analyzed. Somehow, her decisions seemed so foolish, picked to pieces by one with the wisdom of experience. If only he had been there to help her, her father repeated over and over, shaking his head in quiet admonition.

There had, of course, been questions about the Scoobies. Tara tried to discern how much her father knew about the supernatural, but found few hints. He betrayed no surprise at her mention of vampires, though his following questions proved he knew nothing about them beyond movies. Of demons she spoke in as little detail as possible, but he had asked questions that brooked no evasion.

Why Tara had chosen to associate with people who killed demons as a matter of course was beyond her father's understanding. Even cows had the sense not to hang out at the butcher shop. Didn't she realize it was dangerous? She tried to tell him she helped people, but her protests fell under the weight of condemnation she couldn't sway. He wanted her to be safe. That was all.

Just before he headed to bed, he'd spoken without preamble to a question she hadn't dared to ask.

"How was I supposed to tell you, Tara? Something like this…" Her father stared out the window into the darkness beyond. "You had to prepare for the demon, but I tried to give you what childhood I could. I tried to do right by you. I'm still trying."

He'd walked away to the bedroom without another word. Tara had been too tense to sleep, heading out to the front porch to ruminate on what little she had learned. The lassitude of spell-shock had been replaced by that of emotional strain, but there was little point in trying to sleep until some of the stress of the day had dispersed. It was early for her, anyway- just a quarter past ten. She'd never truly followed her father's concept of virtue being correlated with how early you got up on the weekends- one of the few things he couldn't make her feel guilty about. She was even considered an early riser in the dorm, which had made an ugly little part of her mind thumb its nose in the general direction of the home she'd left.

Tara swung silently on the porch swing, the light off in deference to the glare it caused on the pull-out where Beth now lay. She'd forgotten how much warmer the nights were in the shelter of the hills where their house sat, fortunately not needing the coat she'd forgotten to bring with her. She could have borrowed one, yet somehow she didn't want to be any further in debt to her family than she already was. If she wasn't going to be there for them when they were in need, how could she justify taking advantage of their kindness?

-----------------TBC in Pt IV

Sorry for the late post. The writing was done on time, but Life intervened in unpleasant ways, which managed to deny me of steady internet access for few days.

Next week- A chat with Donny.

-Never

Post subject: Re: Changes (updated 6/29/10)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:19 pm 

oooh tense... Poor Willow trapped in the hospital! I'd love to see an ass kicking when/if Willow goes after her :) ... or least have them figure out a way to find out what they need to know from Mr. Maclay... which I'm sure you're not going to make easy for them...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:38 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for excellent update-y goodness... I hope Willow very soon gets out of the hospital and :smash some sense into Xander before going after Tara... I truly hope that Willow & Tara get the information from Tara's dad without paying too heavy price...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:29 am 
5. Willowhand

Location: Behind the tree, outside the window. Waving at you.
Um, hi. Lol. Yes, I know I've not said anything in a long time, and I feel bad! Really bad! But I've peeked my head up from the deep depths of lurkdom to say that I have been following along, merrily so.

So, since it's been a while, I'm just gonna touch on the most recent chapters, k? Here goes:

Poor Willow. Poor Tara. But it's all just so deliciously angsty! Hey, I love our girls as much as anyone 'round here but angst is like a drug for me. I can't help it. It's a sickness. I've accepted it.

Xander's an ass. More than usual. I mean, he's always been an ass, but in a haha-you're-so-dumb-but-I-love-ya-anyways kinda way. Now, he's just being an ass.

I wanna smack Giles. I wanna hug Anya and thank her for being, well... Anya.

Buffy...? Well, she's in that Buffy-Auto-Pilot mode as is her usual response to the overwhelming-but-can't-be-fixed-with-a-stake situations. Which I throw mad props to you for writing/capturing her character so well.

Another thing I must mention. As much as I want slap the self-righteous, arrogant crap outta Tara's dad, I'm really glad you didn't make him, ya know, a complete... monster. As much a bastard he was on the show, I never truly believed he was that evil. Just ignorant. And selfish.

Anyways. Just wanted to thank you for continuing on with this fic. So, uh... Thank you! Lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:42 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great update.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:28 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Replies, then a Reader Poll

leonhart- I hereby dub you Fastest Feedback in the West (since I'm on the west coast, I figure I can say that)…
I never make things easy on the girls, it seems, but they have had a couple big breaks. Jean was a major one, and the simple existence of a community of succubi is an unexpected source of potential support. Buffy didn't die. Anya isn't doing more harm than good. Willow has enough going for her that she's only now in the hospital- not the day after Tara's birthday, not after the first informed feeding. See, I'm not making things half as bad as they could be. ^_^; None of it is intentionally good or bad- it's just a sucky situation, so by and large, the things the girls go through are going to be correspondingly sucky…
Being stuck in the hospital is awful, unless you have a really portable hobby or a fascination of television. Some hospitals will charge you for cable, even, so the po' folk are stuck with public access. Add to the tedium all the indignities that the condition keeping you in the hospital visit on you… ungh.

Zampsa- Will and Xander won't leave things as they are- they've known each other too long for that. On the other hand it may have to wait until after Willow gallantly rides off to the rescue. I think she's worried enough about Tara (both re: guilt over Will's condition as well as the family) to put smacking Xander upside the head on the back burner for a bit.

Psy- I'm glad you surfaced again! Remember, feedback is a gift- never feel guilty when you don't give it, just know that I'm happy when you do.
Xander has rather predictable reactions to certain events- this one was a no brainer. Giles was a bit more iffy, but after Tara's first incident (Buffy), it would follow that when the next person who is very close to him is hurt in a very significant way he would hold Tara fully responsible. Remember that this all started at S5 Family, wherein it has been explicitly stated that Tara is still an unknown and not a part of the group beyond her connection with Willow (despite Giles' rather familiar/disturbing musings back in Ch2, which we now know the underlying cause for). Now, the end of the episode saw a big change in that relationship to the group, but given how little time has passed?
Thank you for the kind words re: characterization. I was happy that Mr. Maclay is coming across more as flawed than as evil. It would be really easy to paint him as such (or even more, Donny), and I feel like I'm laying on the manipulation in a rather heavy handed manner. Truth be told, in most people like this there would likely be a "honeymoon period" after the return home in which he was a doting father… but manipulation can be very subtle and very hard to write because it takes place over such extended periods of time. The translations in Tara's mind of her father's words are not cynical, but the product of long experience. He says this, he means that. I have to be more obvious or else write every detail of their interaction- which is both personally distasteful and would make the story drag. I dropped a lot of it in retrospect so that it was seen in aggregate through Tara's eyes- it's probably bad form, but it's my cheat for doing what I wanted to. Anyway, Mr. Maclay honestly thinks he is doing the right thing- as do most people.

SJ- Thank you, as always. I appreciate your notes, if only because they let me know that someone is reading. ^_^

----------------------------------------------------------------------

July Reader Poll #1
As this is not a novel and has all the advantages that internet pseudo-publishing has to offer, I’ve been trying to make use of my options. The sketch links are part of that. The process notes are part of that. In Missing it was the Divergent Chapters (which I should put in a separate file and link in, but was too clueless at that point and am too lazy at this point). In Changes, I am soliciting for a POV rewrite. Anybody have a scene that they want to see through a different character’s eyes?
I squicked on Giles’ POV in Ch 2 and broke every rule of decent writing by changing POV in a major/jarring way mid-scene, but anything else in the chapters up so far is fair game. PM me (if you don't want to post just to answer a question), bring it up in chat, or post it here the next time you write in. If there is a consensus, I will use your wishes as my challenge. If there isn’t, I’ll pick whatever strikes me. If no one responds, I will do… probably nothing. Depending on how much Life interferes, it may be a partial scene or may take a few weeks- I don’t want to sacrifice progress on the main story.
I'm still hoping for reader What If scenes… ^.^

July Reader Poll #2
I write about the process I am going through, but it occurred to me that I was being utterly egocentric. What if what people are interested in is not what I’m analyzing-to-death? Anything that y'all want to hear about? If not- questions are always welcome. Again, feel free to PM if you don't want to post just to answer a question.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:03 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Ch 18, Pt IV

The front door squeaked and Tara knew without looking that her brother had joined her. He closed the door softly behind him, standing at the edge of the porch steps for a moment, as caught in his own thoughts as she was in hers.

"Thought I was gonna have to drag your ass back here kicking an' screaming… Dad kept telling me that I had to do it, for your sake- that he didn't want to be the villain this time." His tone was mean, but the words still gave her a sort of comfort. "When we left, Dad said you'd be crawlin' back in no time."

Tara nodded. There was a clink of glass and Donny raised a couple of longnecks into sight. "Beer?"

She shook her head. The morals of underage drinking aside, she'd discovered early on that beer was nasty stuff. Everyone said it was an acquired taste, but why make the effort to acquire it? It was cheaper to get drunk on Two Buck Chuck, if that was the point.

"That's right. Not twenty-one yet, got to obey the rules or the boogeyman will get you." He crossed in front of her, slouching onto the other side of the swing as he used one beer to pop the cap of the other.

She didn't correct the assumption. If she'd stayed home, there is no question that would have been accurate. Her father would have been furious to hear that she'd ever been drunk, and probably suspicious of just how much alcohol that adventure had required. Now that she thought about it, her mother had seldom touched anything more than a glass of wine in a week. It might have been simple preference, but she had to wonder now if inebriation could affect her shifting. It would have been ample deterrent to excess if the demon within could be so easily revealed. She filed the idea away for later consideration.

"You don't look like a demon to me." Donny took a swig of his beer before letting it dangle from near-slack fingers. "But then, Mama didn't either."

"We can hide it," she almost whispered.

"But you're still you. I thought, I dunno, you'd go postal or some shit like that till Dad got you taken care of." He snorted. "Hard to imagine, but maybe you were like some kind of werewolf or something- like it wasn't all the time. He wouldn't say."

"It's… complicated." There were things that she was never, ever going to talk to Donny about. Suddenly her father's position was a little more understandable. Silence settled between them for a long minute.

"I don't think I've ever seen Dad as upset as that… barely said a word the whole drive back here. Wouldn't stop for nothing."

The grammar-Nazi in Tara's head was shaking it's fist, but this was nothing new. Her mother had never been happy with Donny's tendency to speak like the hoodlums he chose to hang out with, but had limited success trying to dissuade him. It was the one act of rebellion that he hadn't retreated from, though he was markedly less obnoxious in their father's presence. In spite of that concession, Tara had overheard more than once her father asking why her mother couldn't even keep her son civil. He'd tried to cut off Donny's contact with the kids, but since they rode the same bus to school it had been a losing battle.

After another long stretch of silence, there was a clink as Donny set his now empty bottle next to the unopened one on the ground. "Things were bad when you left, you know. He said I drove you off."

"No, Donny… no." She looked at him, slouched on the bench with an air of indifference, seeing his hurt for what it was. They'd never been close- Donny had tried to take out on her the frustrations that couldn't be expressed anywhere else, only to find her quietly resisting in the way that their father would never tolerate. He openly resented her closeness to their mother, repeatedly failing to try to garner the same affection. They had the shared burden of the demon and the shared guilt for the toll it took on the family. In some twisted way, Donny suffered from the lack of these, unable to relate. His was a more mundane weight of expectation and duty, but it was no less onerous for its simplicity.

Donny had to know, rationally, that his part in her decision to escape was relatively minor. But guilt, as she knew too well, didn't always pay attention to logic. Sometimes it clung as a residue from the constant flow that they moved in and around. His was the only voice in the house that ever raised in argument, his were the words that carried open threat, though he hadn't acted on them since he'd gotten out of junior high. The posturing was his defense against the world, as much as her silence had been. Still was.

"Before…" Her brother's voice broke the quiet again, the assumed backcountry accent falling away. "When Mama died, I was gonna leave, you know. I had it all set with Fernando's brother up in LA- he's got a brake shop…"

Tara waited for the rest of the story, but whatever had possessed her brother to that confession seemed unable to spur him further. He'd been as adamant as her father about how the family had to stick together, in her memory. Donny had been more clear in his resentment of having to care for the women of the family, but was no less steadfast in his intention to do what he could. That's what families do. Sacrifices must be made, but any decent person would do the same.

What their father actually did that kept the demon in check had been an unquestioned mystery, but Donny had his own share of duties. He had to be home to watch his sister so their mother could keep up her transcription schedule. He had to be there for the times when their mother began to loose her focus, to make her aware she was slipping, and if worst came to worst, call their father home. He had to maintain the computer system their father used for his business. Sometimes he had to go with their father, if the job needed another set of hands. Their father paid him for that work- direct to an account set up for his engineering degree. None of it was hard. Just constant, and tightly tied to the family. That was normal, though. A good family is close knit.

"W-why didn't you go?" If only he had. It would have given her the proof that leaving was possible, not just a daydream that would lead to a lifetime of insecurity and loneliness.

When she'd left, it was because she had given up. Like they said in Old Man River, she'd been "tired of livin' and afeared of dyin". If becoming a demon was inevitable, the burden on her family inescapable, then she had an end point- hoping that when she had to, she could conquer her fear for the brief time she had to. Her mother no longer needed her. She decided to give her family the freedom they couldn't ask for, planning her departure until the end of high school and then disappearing as completely as she was able. Only when Willow had become a fixture in her life had that plan been changed, hope kindling where she thought there was none and turning to desperation as the deadline drew nigh.

"Are you kidding? After the way you betrayed his trust, what was I supposed to do? Leave him too? You didn't see what he was like when you left-" Her brother switched abruptly to a vein more familiar to them both, crushing the ache in his voice with disparaging rectitude, "How could I let him try to keep this whole place up, inside and out? He can't even keep his business straight unless I update his database every month-" Donny cut off the short tirade. He'd made their father sound incapable, when they both knew he was anything but. He just made use of the resources he had, and that included his kids. It wasn't like he could let someone else keep his books, privy to information that could be misused in ruinous ways. Family could be trusted, family was available, and there was no reason to think they wouldn't always be there for him. Good people, after all, do not shirk their responsibilities.

"I can't stay here." She drew both feet up, arms clasped around her knees, the toes of her shoes just peeking out from under her skirt. The chill had started to creep in now, bringing the stars into sharper focus as the insulating cloud cover moved on.

"Oh? Then why'd you come back?" That was all the answer Donny needed, and if she'd never left, she would have seen it the same way. Tara had left, Tara was back, ergo Tara could not leave- not in any permanent way. She was proof of the inescapability that he'd accepted. She knew, because she had felt it too.

"I just need to know what Mama had to do to deal with being… this."

"What is "this", Tara? Why- I mean, he made it sound like he was the only thing that kept Mama safe. And she had to work at it- you know how she got. Why can you be so…" He waved a hand in her general direction, repeating what he'd already asked, "you?"

"Magic. Love. Friends." It had taken all three, and still had not been enough.

"Magic? Fight evil with a little more evil? God- I always wondered why Dad didn't keep mom from teaching you that crap."

"Magic isn't evil," she sighed, knowing that she'd conceded silently too many times over the years for Donny to believe her now.

"Not in itself, maybe. But if it's not the demon, how come you and Mama could do it so much easier than Gramps?" Unspoken was how Donny had abandoned the Craft that their mother had tried to teach him when he'd found his little sister's talents so far outstripped his own. His scorn of magic was largely defensive of his long-ago wounded pride, but it had also been a way he'd tried to gain the acceptance of their father. Magic was tied to demons, so he had solid reason to refuse any part of it, and he had happily ridiculed the hippie religion that espoused it. Somehow, for all her father's own belittling words on the same subject, Donny had never found solidarity- only receiving the demand that he respect his mother.

Being a demon probably did play a role in the relative ease that the Maclay women could manipulate magic, but that still didn't make it evil. She tried to come up with a good illustration, but settled for the only one that came to mind. "Just because a bee can fly doesn't mean that flying is caused by making honey. It's just something it can do, the same as a, um, bird or a butterfly."

A screech of a bat overhead reminded them of other things that flew. Tara allowed herself a grin. She and Mama used to root for the bats from this porch, exhorting their bug consumption like it was a team sport, if somewhat less loudly than most fans. Gramps had started it all, somewhere in her foggy recollection, responding to a child's fear of the odd sounds by suddenly cheering, "Go get'm boys!" before telling her and Donny gravely, "You've got a good set of bats here. Those mosquitos'll be droppin' like… well, droppin' like flies in no time.

Her grandfather was living in Florida now, in a retirement home posing as a 'Community for Graceful Living'. He'd been an infrequent visitor, held by her father to be a shiftless hippie that was tolerated because the old man happened to be his wife's only living relative. That he wasn't related by blood and kept practicing his Wiccan ways without apology was ever a source of unvoiced friction.

"He talked about you all the time. Kept expecting you to show up on the doorstep, all weepy." Donny stood, the motion setting the swing into sudden motion. "Took a while, but I guess he was right."

Tara didn't respond and after a moment Donny brushed by, slipping back inside. It was a long time before she moved, her brother's final words hanging in her mind.

------------------

Willow wished Sunnydale General had HBO. Or the Discovery Channel. Even daytime PAX would be okay, but The Shopping Network was the hottest thing on at three in the morning and somehow she had trouble being fascinated by the latest miracle mop.

She'd woken two hours before and, despite wanting badly to rest up for her intended departure, was not even remotely tired. The nervous energy she'd started with hadn't been touched by the Benadryl her nurse had given her, and only dulled somewhat by the Restoril that followed an hour later. She tried to engage the kindly Filipina in conversation, but with the combination of a very heavy accent and a patient with hourly neurological checks that needed to be done it was a losing proposition.

The good news of the night was that she'd been able to get up and make her way to the bathroom with only the stabilization from her IV pole. Nurse Bonita had been very unhappy to find her half way across the room, convincing her legs that the crampy soreness was all in her head and not a legitimate reason to cease functioning, but other than hovering close enough to catch her if she fell, allowed her to do as she wished.

Internal celebration for the simple feat was silly, but it buoyed her enough for the ten foot trek back to bed. The ache that followed seemed unfair, but she had dropped off to sleep again not long after and was spared the worst of it.

There was no mystery as to the central place that peeing had taken in her current life. The IV was running constantly, soaking her in fluids that were supposed to wash the damaged muscle material out of her system without breaking her kidneys in the process. It was yet more proof that glomeruli were deserving of her undying antipathy. Or, not 'undying', because that had ominous implications, but at least 'persistent'.

Tomorrow's egress would be a question of balance- the earlier the better, in terms of how soon she'd be able to help Tara. The later the better, in terms of likelihood of success in actually getting out the door, back to her parents house, finding out where she was going, and driving there without doing something inconvenient like falling asleep at the wheel.

Willow closed her eyes, trying to make her body go limp one piece at a time, gradually trying to achieve the state of a well-cooked noodle. Like the Jello she'd gotten with her "just to be safe" soft-food-only dinner. Like the pizza they got from Luchetti's, that would dump all it's toppings in your lap if you weren't careful.

Great, now she was hungry and awake. Maybe they'd let her sneak one of the graham crackers that the med students always seemed to be snacking on.

--------------------------------

"-wer's free now."

Tara opened her eyes with a start, momentarily disoriented by the familiar-yet-not surroundings. She turned her head to see Beth peeking in the door with an insincere smile.

"Hnn- sorry?" She propped herself up on her elbows, trying to blink away the sandy feeling in her eyes and rally her mind to wakefulness.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Your brother and dad are always up by six thirty, so I thought, it being seven and all…" Beth shrugged unapologetically opening the door the rest of the way and walking in, "I thought you'd like to know that the shower is free. I tried to be quick so there'd be enough hot water left-" She flicked open the curtains, letting the brilliant morning light stream in. Her eyes focused on Tara and widened, her face blanching, "God- it's true-"

Before Tara could do anything about the marks of the demon that had surfaced as she slept, her cousin disappeared. She let herself drop back to the pillow with a sigh, glad that at least her tail was still hidden under the rumpled covers.

Seven on a Sunday. If there were church to go to, or any reason at all, she'd accept it willingly. Religion was "a crutch for those whose character was too weak to give them a moral compass without it", but Daddy approved of church goers. They needed someone to tell them what to do, and it was to their credit that they recognized it.

It was good that Willow wasn't here. Waking her lady love before ten on a Sunday was asking for a long, crabby day unless you had something to convince her it was worth it. Tara caught herself before the thought of a few of those mornings could form in a goofy grin on her face. Goofy grins had no place at seven in the morning, and certainly not after as fitful a night as she'd had.

Sleep had claimed her quickly, when she'd finally crawled under fresh, tightly tucked sheets and a comforter that still held that indefinable scent of the home she'd grown up in. Residual of Beth's rosemary shampoo was a strong, acerbic scent that layered over rather than overwhelmed that essence that recalled her childhood so vividly. She'd dreamed mostly of her mother, though she wasn't sure of the details, waking with the sense of loss, later guilt, later shame, and once with such a soulless emptiness that she found her hands knotted painfully tight on her pillow.

There was no use in trying to reclaim sleep now. She wasn't the teenager that could just roll over and rejoin the world of oblivion anymore, even if she'd wanted to. Today, it was better to do what her father would want. "Butt out of bed, feet on the floor" was the cheerful phrase that had rung from her doorway on plenty of early mornings, followed by a conversation about what needed to be done while her mind emerged sluggishly from somnolence. She had to remember what was said- he'd always assume she was awake from the moment he opened the door, just lying in bed because she was too lazy to get up.

Beth had left the door wide open, also in the tradition of her father. Tara sat at the edge of the bed for a moment, dreading the day. Whether her father would part readily with the secrets he'd shared with her mother was only part of it. She didn't really want to know, given the nature of the problem at hand, the details of her parents' solution. If there had been some anonymous third party, it would still be embarrassing, but manageable.

Better that she be mortified for a day than making others suffer- it was something she knew logically and morally, but it still quailed under the gateless barrier of Things You Don't Ask Your Parents. Her mother had been open about the birds and the bees from as early as she could recall, but it was always something separate, removed from her parents. She'd been aware, abstractly, that her parents had to have been intimate at least twice to have had Donny and herself, but it had remained happily abstract even through sixth grade Heath Ed.

She found a mirror on the dresser that must be Beth's, critically examining the dark mask, horns, and ridges she saw. As best she could tell, they were unchanged over the last few days- hopefully indicative that they were in their stable, final forms. If that heralded the end of her quickening, it would be a huge boon- from what Jean had told her, the need to feed would drop significantly, and with it, the speed with which the Draw built around her.

She hoped to check if Jean had yet sent the login to the succubus network, but wasn't sure that her mentor would still be inclined to send it. If her connection to the Slayer, coupled with Willow's unveiled computer sleuthing, made her seem too much of a risk, she might never get the benefit of what others of her kind had learned.

Willow. She needed to call the hospital again. Tara had called around noon the prior day, first to the room, then to the nurse's station when her girlfriend failed to answer. It had been an enormous relief to hear that the redhead had woken, if briefly, to what appeared to be full consciousness, though disappointing that she couldn't speak with her directly. She couldn't risk Willow calling the house, so hadn't left any message, and to her chagrin, she'd forgotten her intent to call back until after it was too late to consider.

The markings faded readily when she told them to, but her tail decided to rebel with a twinge to one of the muscles she knew she hadn't had before. Keeping it hidden the entire day prior had been progressively more difficult, and by the time she'd gotten to the porch that night, it had been an enormous relief to let it simply curl loosely around her legs. Even the discomfort of sitting on it had been only a minor annoyance in comparison.

Somehow she could hide the tail that protruded from her tastefully altered Flying Toaster pajamas long enough to get to the shower. The water should pull her mind out of its sleepy fuzz, giving her at least a start point of calm in a day that was likely to be anything but.

"What'd you think, Beth, we just made all this shit up?" Her brother's voice was amused, though Tara could read no more into it from this distance. She made no particular effort to listen, but her bedroom was the closest to the front of the house and the words were clear enough.

"She has horns, Donny." Her cousin's voice was just shy of hysterical. "That doesn't worry you, even a bit? Did you miss genetics in high school or something? Half of you is-"

"Ever seen a woman who's colorblind, Beth?" Her brother's enjoyment had dimmed, but his tone was still that of casual conversation.

"No, it's X-linked."

"Same kind of thing- Mama was like Tara, but it doesn't pass to the men."

"How do you know that? I remember Aunt Judy was adopted, so how-"

"She and Dad learned about it somehow. I don't know." The edge of annoyance that was surfacing evidenced her brother's discomfort with not having a full answer more than any confusion would have.

Beth's words were cautious when she spoke again. "Men might get colorblindness, but women are carriers- you still have the genes."

"It's part of that whole magic thing." Donny dismissed. "It's not supposed to make sense."

"But if you have kids, don't you need to know-"

"I am never havin' kids." His vehemence was unchanged from when Tara had last heard him make the assertion years before.

Tara realized she had been standing and eavesdropping for far longer than she'd realized, quickly gathering her things. The bathroom was just across the hall, so a quick peek to see if the coast was clear was all she needed to make the trip without showing off her tail.

-------------------------------------------------

"Sign each one, then date."

Willow gave Dr. Tautashep a look of annoyance before signing away all her rights in a quick shuffle of unread pages. The first time she'd left Against Medical Advice, she'd taken the time to read them all- after all, one should know what one is signing. It seemed odd that there was paperwork even for this. Couldn't she just walk out the door and ignore all this?

Yes, but it would feel wrong.

"This seems to be a habit of yours." Dr. Tautashep thumbed through the pages while Willow shifted impatiently in her seat. "When I looked at your old chart on the computer… have you ever actually stayed till we said you were good to go?"

"Look- I have somewhere I need to be. I know you want to make sure nothing will happen to me, but hey-" She pointed at the pile of paper. "That pretty much says it's all on my head if I fall over dead as soon as I step out the door. Which I won't. I feel fine. Peppy even." Willow gave him her best perky smile, which was marred only by how hard she was trying.

"You've recovered remarkably fast…" The doctor's grin was wry and he kept his eyes glued to the paperwork that he was now writing on. "Almost like magic."

"Um- yea. Eheh. Almost!" Willow kept her words cheerfully noncommittal as she watched for a reaction. She would look into whether Dr. Tautashep was going to be the future Sunnydale General contact for all things mystical, something that would be incredibly handy to be aware of, but that could wait till she got back.

"Right-o. Here's the copy for you and we're all set." Dr. Tautashep passed over a page full of eight point font. He didn't get up immediately, but seemed to be having some sort of internal debate. Willow began to wonder if she should just leave, but he finally spoke.

"Your girlfriend- the lady that was here… be careful, okay. She'd not what you think."

"I know what she is." The concern was nice, but everyone assuming that Willow was ignorant was getting on her nerves. She had her answer about the doctor being clued in, though, on the plus side. She gave him what she hoped was a confident smile. "We're going to figure this out."

"She might not mean to have hurt you, but… Miss Rosenberg, messing with demons is bad business." The doctor read something in her face that made him sigh. "Look, just be careful. I don't want to see you back in here, and I really don't want to be the one that has to declare you DOA downstairs."

"I'll do my best. Anything else?"

"No driving till you're seizure-free for six months, or your neurologist says otherwise. And you should make an appointment with Dr. Ellis, if he's on your insurance plan for outpatient- he's the one who saw you here, so he'd know your case. We can't really schedule the follow-ups for you since you're leaving AMA, but go through your primary care and they'll get you set up. I'm going to dictate a discharge summary in a minute." He lifted the papers in his hand. "You already signed the record release, so the information should be in their hands by Tuesday. Any questions?"

"Um… no?" It wasn't like they were actually going to be able to notify the DMV about the driving thing before she'd gotten where she needed to be. No need to question it.

"Anybody picking you up?" Dr. Tautashep stood by as Willow levered herself out of her chair.

"A classmate- she's meeting me in the lobby." The redhead started toward the elevators, pleased to find that she was even less unsteady than she'd hoped. This spell of Tara's seriously rocked. Day one, coma. Day two, sleep. Day three, recovery. Day four, hasta la vista. Not a Slayer-fast rebound, but not too shabby. While still stiff and sore, the exhaustion was gone, replaced by a jittery energy that had moved up her departure plans when she decided she'd go crazy without something meaningful to do to keep her mind off where she wanted to be.

Imelda was waiting in one of the lobby chairs, gazing disinterestedly at CNN. The girl had shared two classes with Willow the prior year, and she'd had the dubious honor of being the only non-Scooby person that Willow knew the number of and was picking up the phone. She felt a bit guilty asking for a ride from someone she wasn't really on a trading-favors basis with, but her conscience was salved by knowing that she'd been the primary reason that Imelda had passed freshman Chemistry. It wasn't that the girl wasn't smart or working hard enough, but the foundations that high school should have given her were utterly lacking.

They exchanged brief greetings, Willow giving thanks for the ride, apologies for the wait, and vague excuses for why she'd been hospitalized. She had collapsed and she was anemic, but nobody needed to hear about things like seizures, comas, and massive epistaxis.

She went back to campus with Imelda for just long enough to throw some things in a bag on top of her laptop, then imposed on the tolerant girl for one last ride to the elder Rosenberg abode. She was finally alone there at just short of noon, impatiently booting up her computer while she worked her way through a bag of cinnamon pita chips. Hospitals needed to learn the healing power of pita chips- it could spark a health care revolution.

It took precisely twelve minutes to get the information she'd spent the last day agonizing over, another two to get the route Google-mapped, and five more to determine that there was a Dairy Queen en route- because a road trip without Dairy Queen is like Cracker Jacks without a prize, even in extenuating circumstances. They would need a good place to celebrate their return on the way back, too.

Willow wondered briefly whether she should bring either a shovel, or at least some kind of magic component-type contingency plan. The shovel seemed the better plan. It was big, obvious, and unambiguous. Magic was still in the 'wishful thinking' category, as another quick telekinetic attempt produced only a twinge deep in her sinuses. Maybe the butter knife had shifted a bit at her push, but that wasn't going to impress anyone the way shooting it into a wall would.

Actually, Tara might not be happy if I messed up the walls. Maybe I could just smack Donny with the spoon.

It wasn't like the Maclays were strangers to magic. From what Tara had said about her mother, there had been some serious power residing in that house. It was conceivable that they'd seen anything Willow could do and more, even if she hadn't been running on empty.

Glancing at the clock again, the redhead chewed on one last potential delay. She'd done a couple of meditative things in the hospital in an effort to both relieve her ansy nerves and encourage any magic recovery that she could. It turned out that hospitals were really poor for gathering ambient energy. It made some sense that all the bodies attempting to heal would suck it out naturally, but that didn't keep it from being frustrating.

With another glance at the clock she decided against another crack at refueling the mana tank. If she didn't hit any traffic, it would still take over four hours to get where she needed to be and who knows what Tara was going through. She shut down her computer and looted her parents' cabinets for portable food. Tara's letter had warned her about possible hunger, but it hadn't really hit before. Now? Munchies Gone Wild, the unrated edition.

Through all of this she had been tidying. Her clothes had been tossed together in a pile, which she pitched straight in the laundry, followed by the stinky sheets from upstairs. Tara's clothes were noticeably absent, which had concerned her until she recalled that only she herself had left the house naked as a jaybird that night. That had frozen her in horror for a full minute, before post-traumatic amnesia obligingly kicked in, allowing her to keep straightening the pillows on the couch and replacing ornaments that had been knocked to the floor.

By one-thirty she was ready, striding toward the front door armed with her raided supplies and backpack. The doorbell rang just as she reached for the front doorknob, giving her a heart attack and sending her snack sack flying. Mini-Musketeers from her mother's 'secret' stash skittered across the entryway like little silver roaches.

Tasty roaches, but… OK, that train of thought was just gross.

She yanked open the door, determined that band was not going to get a buck from her to support their next trip, the Girl Scouts were not going to sell her more than a dozen boxes, and the Mormons were not going to get her to call them "LDS", because that sounded a little too close to a psychedelic drug and they should really go for "Ecstasy" or "Dom" if they were going to go that route.

Instead, she just blinked stupidly for a moment before her face drew into a fierce scowl.

"Xander."

------------------TBC in Ch 19... because for Ch 18 to have 5 parts would be gratuitous.

Post subject: Re: Changes (updated 7/3/10)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:21 pm 

It was still intense but this one had a lot of funny lines :)

And oh boy, Xander better watch out! Hope he either goes with her, or gets out of her way...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:03 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I hope Tara's dad is cooperative regarding how Tara's mother's Draw was controlled... Yay for Willow being out of the hospital... I kinda hope that Willow properly "thank" Xander with a shovel :smash for driving Tara away and breaking up the Scoobies...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:22 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great update.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:52 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Was finally able to catch up on all the updates I've missed.
I hope Giles, Buffy and Xander know that Tara wasn't intentionally trying to hurt Willow. Xander must know that he won't be able to talk Willow out of going in search of Tara; so he just has to accompany her along on the trip.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:14 am 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
Hi Never,

Got caught up and was wonder since I don't think I've read any other story of your is you like to use obscure word as a rule or just in the particular story. I have to say that was one the best uses of callipygian into a regular conversation that I've since my 2 year creative writing class eons ago.

I also am enjoying the preview - higher than the scream of a twilight fan, and
the one about enough angst to kill am emo kid was funny too - they get snickers from me regularly.

Looking forward to another update.

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:56 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Replies, then Process-

Vampy- Welcome to the story! Thanks for hanging with me for so long with all the technical troubles on the live version last Friday. I hope it was as worth it for you as for me.
Re: callipygian- I'm not sure that qualifies as regular conversation, given that the girls were talking about Tara's use of infrequently found words. I don't think I did this in my other fic, at least not consciously. Then again, it depends on your definition of 'obscure'. As with many things, I pull from my own experiences for humor. Until I made a conscious effort (for work reasons) to cut my active vocabulary, I tended to get that response of "wait, what was that word?" every so often. It was a small step to go from there to making it a recurring game between the girls. I tried it and it felt right, so I kept playing it. I looked for a few good words (and have a few in reserve) that would match the areas I thought our girls would be most versed in, as I'm neither an art history type nor a techy, but half the time it's spontaneous. The way I'm writing this makes dialog difficult to wrangle in the direction that I want (and feels stilted on rereading if I try), so words just come up every so often.

love_2003- In the immediate wake of finding out that your best friend is in the ICU, I would expect very few people to be completely rational. This is the same thing that people do to the driver that gets in an accident, and walks away unscathed while their passengers are in terrible shape. Deserved or not, a lot of nastiness falls on their heads.

leonhart- Funny lines? *reviews the chapter* Hmm. Where are you referring to?
We shall see what Xander is on the doorstep for in the next chapter, have no fear.

Zampsa- I'm sure that whatever Mr. Maclay does with regard to teaching Tara about how her mother's Draw was controlled will be done with the best of intentions… And no matter how upset Willow gets at Xander, I don't see her bringing out her shovel for him. Not when words can wound so much more deeply.

---------------------------------------------

Floating

I had long questioned what to do about the "floating" thing. It wasn't in my original succubus mechanics, so I had to make a decision as to A)is it intentional, B)who is powering it, and C)why does it happen.

Taken in isolation, the scene in OMWF would indicate that this is an intentional action, probably by Willow, for *ahem* general convenience… or it could be a production decision based on "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we made this visual metaphor to couple, heh heh, with the not-so-subtle song?" The second is probably true, but I'd rather take the story and figure out why it could work out logically, within this world's rules.

So, going with the theory of intentional action by Willow, we look at the rest of the canon for confirmation. The only other human-size floating I am aware of is in Family. It involves the weight of two people with no apparent effort from either of the participants and has no practical value. S6 Willow floating one human's weight is more than reasonable. S5 Willow floating two is a little harder to swallow. Also, she has never exhibited any ability to float herself, or anything human sized. If she could, she is smart enough to know how useful that would be in other situations. Float a vampire and he can't run from you. Float your friend to safety, or maybe up that rickety tower. Maybe it's the "power of two" effect? Again- why not use it to, say, hover a hell goddess so she couldn't get any traction to move/fight? I'm not convinced.

If it's not done intentionally by Willow, how about Tara? Is she enough of an exhibitionist to try it in Family? We have no good way of knowing how much power Tara actually has- only her own assessment, which is almost certainly skewed. Maybe all the people at the Bronze that night were there for her birthday party, and maybe she decided to show off just how happy she was? I don't buy it. This is inconsistent with her character. I could imagine the OMWF float being her doing far more easily, though if 'emotional control' is the secret to telekinesis- I am not seeing that situation as being conducive.

It made far more sense to me that the floating was unintentional. Was it a magic leak, as I had Tara believing? There's been no sign that magic can leak in canon (one exception, actually, but extenuating circustances remove it from consideration), and you'd think it would have manifested in other ways than just floating. Maybe it has, off screen, but you'd think it would have been mentioned… unless it was tied to certain private activities. That then begs the question as to what links the dance scene to those private activities. Again, logic fails. Another point is just how much power would be required to lift two people. As I pointed out above, it is probably significant- which again points away from a 'leak' cause. This makes my Tara sound kinda dumb for espousing the theory, but she had to have come up with some excuse as to why it was happening. I just skimmed over the fact that she'd probably have talked to Willow about it before by assuming that being called 'leaky' would offend Willow and so was politely not brought up. I have no excuse why Willow wouldn't have asked all kinds of questions the first time this happened, and every time since.

If it isn't intentional and isn't from leaky magic- what other unintended source could there be? When the girls are together and happy enough, it just spontaneously happens? It made far more sense for me to assign it to a succubus trait. Now, real flight felt like too much- it looks silly without wings (and brings to mind spandex laden comics) and needed some kind of logic either physiologically or evolutionarily. It made far more sense to me that succubi would be very gradually getting more human-like over the generations and that the flying would be an old throwback demon trait. Floating would be the vestigial piece of that and may well die out in another few generations. For it to occur at odd times leading up to a succubus' coming of age is not too far fetched- especially if it is tied to certain activities that play a significant role in succubus life. Why did it show up in the dance scene? Well, she changes that night- the ability would have been increasing leading up to that point (it's not the only change that precedes the quickening, but definitely the least subtle- I expect to talk more about that in later chapters).

So now, in this fic, Tara can float and has some understanding of how the reflex is triggered (the nearly-explicit scene of Ch 18), if not real control of it. Jean demonstrated one reason why weightlessness can be useful, but we also see that there's no intrinsic lateral motion capability. It's a very limited power- which is the only kind I will gift a character with. Anything more feeds into a fanfic pet peeve I have about Gratuitous Power-ups. More on that in another rant. It was a decision made in my usual fashion; by taking the available facts and extending them to their natural end points. The floating never made sense to me, but I figured out a way for it to make sense within my story. I am content.

-Never

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:09 am 
3. Flaming O

Awesome job... i can't believe how intricate this story is... so many twists and obstacles... waiting with bated breath for what happens next. :kgeek

Scarlet Black

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:12 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Ch 19

Because 5 parts in one chapter is too many.

Angst Level: The overall story level is higher than the level of patience required to be a first grade teacher. Ch 19 is harsh.

----------------------

"Hey Will."

Xander rocked back and forth, heel to toe, toe to heel, his hands stuck in his pockets to avoid fidgeting with them. His oldest friend was staring at him, quite possibly building up steam to verbally railroad him into the ground. He didn't bother bracing- it wouldn't do any good. It was one of those annoying things about smart people, especially the ones that knew you; on the few occasions they wanted to make you feel low, you'd best be prepared to get acquainted with pond scum, because soon that's who you'd be looking up to.

"What…" The redhead shook her head and looked away, stepping back from the door, "Nevermind. I don't really care why you're here."

"Look, I'm-" Xander started to walk in, only to pull back sharply when the door swung shut in his face, "-sorry?"

At least she looked more normal now. Being flushed with anger was better than the translucent pallor of the last time he'd seen her, even if being the target was less than ideal. It wasn't like he really wanted to be here, apologizing for wanting her safe. He still couldn't believe that Tara was capable of what she had done to Willow, but the fact was that she'd put her in the hospital in a near-fatal way. Willow had been without her protective thingy and badness had happened- there wasn't a lot of ambiguity there.

He wanted to think Tara wasn't at fault, but she knew the effect she had on those of the womanly-charm-appreciating population. She knew what she'd done to Buffy, even, and Willow hadn't exactly been a picture of health after their last little foray into demon-kink. Her father had been pretty clear that there was something they could do about her problem at home and, as twisted as that family sounded, why hadn't she jumped at the chance?

That was where his thoughts had been swirling, conveniently skimming around the memory of the Tara’s brother and his threats. Going back home to meet a raised fist wasn't something he'd be doing either… if there were any choice in the matter. But there was no other reasonable choice and she wasn't exactly helpless. If she got in trouble, she had magic. Besides, in his own experience, demons tended to be stronger than humans to a grossly unfair degree.

What he found completely baffling was how Tara could have known she was going to become a demon her entire life, think her mother was a demon, and knew so little about it. It was like knowing you had some kind of horrific hereditary disease and not bothering to find out the symptoms. Or the name.

Was he the only one who saw that? Willing ignorance was fine and all, as long as you only hurt yourself. The thing with Buffy should've been a warning to them all, most of all Tara.

Xander shuffled his feet, waiting on the step. It was only a matter of time before Willow came back out. He glanced at his watch. Normally, time became an irrelevant construct on Sundays, but the city government was in a rush on this project and paying time and a half. He was already way over his half hour lunch break, so he might as well make it long enough to come up with some work-like excuse. 'Had to get the regulator on the welding tank replaced' sounded good, if anyone asked. Averting exploding gas tanks always made a good excuse.

Lucky he'd learned one thing from all of Willow's magicy stuff- plan ahead. He had a list of half a dozen excuses tucked in his wallet for just such an occasion. There'd been some guilt when he wrote them, like planning excuses meant he was planning the events that would lead to using them, but he knew better. The time would come when he had to do things that he couldn't explain. It was a certainty, like death, taxes, and that ED commercials came on the TV the minute one of your girl-shaped-friends walked into the room.

God, how he hated that. And the football thing- as if throwing a football had anything to do with-

The door swung back open, Willow clutching a Nordstrom bag under one arm this time and fumbling with her keys in her free hand. She was looking at them, ignoring him entirely. The silent treatment? He could do silent. It would let him talk, which usually just got him in to trouble, but hoped would get him out of it, just this once.

"Willow. I've got two things to say before you drive off to the rescue. Can you give me that?" He didn't back away from the door, not allowing her enough space to exit and still close the door behind her unless she chose to shove him out of the way. Given that he weighed almost twice what she did, it probably wouldn't work real well, but Willow had sharp elbows that evened the playing field on more than one occasion.

When Willow looked up, it was with an exasperated glare that almost moved him in spite of himself. He held his ground, trying not to let his smile falter.

Never let them see you sweat.

Right.

It was a long five seconds before Willow squared her shoulders and leaned against the door, bag clutched in front of her in a grip that told him just how pissed she really was.

"You have two minutes."

"You sure you don't want to sit down? I mean- you look a lot better than you did yesterday, but-"

"One minute, fifty seconds." She informed him flatly, unmoved.

"Okay- got it. First- you left these at the hospital. When I went to check on you, Dr. Tautashep gave me this stuff for you- since I'm on your okay-list and all."

"My hospital okay list." Willow took the proffered bag of pills- and tucked them in with what looked like a big bag of French Onion Sun Chips. Xander shrugged at the differentiation. Dr. Tautashep had been insistent about the pills, grumbling that he'd gone to the trouble of getting her switched to orals as fast as he could for just this reason. Apparently bedside meds could go home with patients, and these were not usually bedside meds- which had delayed their arrival until their recipient was already out the door. Willow's voice got him back on track. "One minute."

"Two- I'm sorry. I didn't want to hurt you, and when I finally thought about it- I don't want her hurt either. I just want you to be okay, and since she was how you got to not-okay, my pea-brain decided that she needed to get her act together." Willow looked like she was about to break in, so he tapped his watch, "Still got thirty seconds. When I went home last night, it was quiet- and funny, but that made me think of all the times when home meant not-so-quiet times. And that got me thinking about how it would be, getting sent back to that. And… and I can't be someone who would do that to a person."

"But you did. And she's there. Alone. And all the sorry in the world isn't going to change that." Willow's voice shook.

"I know." His time was up and he stepped back from the door, letting her out. "What can I do?"

"Try apologizing to the right person. You know, the demon? I mean, your girlfriend still acts more like a demon than Tara ever could- she misses tearing people's guts out! She tells us about it on, what, a daily basis? Can you even imagine Tara saying that, let alone doing it? If there were anything else we could have done for her, we would have, but there wasn’t. We looked. We asked Jeanette- remember her? You kept trying to read the label on her jeans, so you may not have heard much that she said, but guess what! Not so subtle with the warnings! Do you think for one moment that I didn't know what I was doing?"

"Buffy left you this." Xander pulled his last defense from his back pocket, handing over the still-odiferous charm, its broken string trailing. "When this came off, Will, I can't know that anything you did was up to you. Here, now, I can hear that. But then? I knew Buffy had been out cold, I knew you ended up comatose- I knew that Buffy didn't have any say in what she did, and what was I supposed to think happened to you?"

"She's my girlfriend! Do you really think she would do anything to me intentionally?"

"I know! I know. But you're talking to Mister Dates-things-that-decide-to-kill-me-despite-my-objections. I am the master of thinking everything is hunky-dorey, only to find out that nice girls seem to hide nasty demons on a regular basis-"

"She'd been a demon for a week and a half, Xander, and after it happened, she never once tried to hide anything she knew-"

"Except, oh, on her birthday?" As soon as the words left his mouth he knew he'd just turned the key on his very own nuclear winter. Groveling should never include excuses for why he'd been wrong- why did that only occur to him when the consequences were staring him in the face?

"Sure- let's talk birthday! The one she'd been told her entire life was going to turn her into some kind of-of Skeksi or something by her…" Willow's face was a textbook example of Hell Hath No Fury Like, but suddenly stopped, wavering and reaching blindly for a wall.

"Aw, crapola. Gimmee that." He pulled the bag out of Willow's grasp and managed to brandish his other arm under her in time to keep her from taking a nosedive into the porch.

"Mm-Fine!" Willow was starting to struggle back, whatever had passed through her fading. She swallowed with a grimace, blinking deliberately, and reached out to steady herself against the door before she entirely disengaged the handful of his shirt that she'd grabbed to right herself.

"You're fine? By what definition? C'mon- you need to sit down at least-"

"I can sit in the car." Her voice sounded even more nasal now, the words wet, but backed by an adamant determination.

Xander paused, considering the options. Tara had done wrong, but he'd realized she didn't mean to. She had to go home so it didn't happen again, but it was wrong to tell her to go alone. That's all he'd come to say. Why hadn't it come out that way? He didn't really have a plan beyond that, but there was no way in hell he could let Willow drive off to God-knows-where in the state she was in. That was negligence as bad as anything he'd accused Tara of, and could be just as deadly.

If his mouth was just going to get him in trouble, then he'd just have bypass it. Do something right, even if he couldn't say it right.

"Keys." He held out his hand.

"I'm going, Xander-"

"I know. And I'm driving."

She stared at him for a moment, her eyes wary.

"You want to go now-ish, right?" He left the hand out, offered as one would to a wounded creature, knowing that it was as likely to be swatted away as taken. "So let's go."

-------------------------------------------
Tara padded through the house, her purple socks muffling the sound of her steps across the faux-wood of the entryway. It was so quiet when it was just her and her mother at home. Not that it was ever loud here. Daddy didn’t approve of loud.

She found her mother where she expected, in the corner of the living room that had been set aside for her work. Her mother didn’t acknowledge her presence, but just stared with half-lidded eyes at the green, impersonally luminescent type on the screen in front of her. A tape recorder and a stack of tapes lay to her left, with a spiral cord running to a pair of chunky headphones. They had not muffled Tara’s approach, but hung around her mother’s long neck like a weighted collar.

“Mama.” She accented the second syllable, as always. She hung back, not sure whether to intrude further. There were times like this that her mother was simply lost in thought, but others indicated a more concentrated meditation. It was funny how people seemed to think meditation had to involve sitting on the floor and looking all serene. Sometimes that was true, but you could be sitting in a chair with your chin balanced on one knee and your hands loosely laced at your ankle sometimes, too. And while starting at a point of serenity was best for most things, for some meditation it was more of a goal.

Her mother meditated to find her inner peace, but it seemed as elusive to her as to Tara. She could keep her calm easily enough, no matter what temper might raise inside, but quieting that temper entirely hadn’t worked. Not yet. Her mother never got angry. Only sad. Disappointed. Guilty. And in the worst times, afraid.

“Mama,” she tried again.

With a little jerk her mother awoke to the world, then sat up with a long breath. It had been a meditation, Tara realized guiltily. She looked at the gentle smile she was offered and tried to ignore the dark, tired eyes. “When did you get home?”

“It’s almost seven,” Tara pointed out quietly. She’d been back since four thirty, but hearing her mother typing she’d just gone to her room to do her homework. The math had given her trouble, but everything else was done now. Daddy wouldn’t care about that part though. He’d just pay attention to the unfinished math and the irresponsibility that it evidenced. Anyone could do it if they tried hard enough- not like the ‘soft’ subjects that he said were all about figuring out what the teacher wanted- so lack of diligence could be the only cause. She knew she didn’t have the strength of character to dedicate herself as completely as she should, but it would be wrong to accept that excuse. A flaw recognized is a flaw that can be combated.

“I guess I got lost in the weeds.” A self deprecating wave at the tapes provided the alibi. Tara knew better. Her mother transcribed dictations at terrific speed. Most days the stack would have disappeared even before Tara got home from school. “How was your day?”

Tara considered her words carefully as she stepped into her mother’s proffered embrace. “Normal?”

Her mother accepted that, though it wasn’t a very positive answer. She knew about the teasing, the insults, the jeers that had followed Tara for as long as she could remember. She knew about the teachers that wrote glowing reports about her daughter, but didn’t recognize her in the hall until the year was half over. Teachers liked the ones that didn’t make trouble, and Tara was well loved in that regard. She could be forgotten while the delinquents and their more vocal victims were dealt with.

Long ago she had spoken up, back when she thought it was the right thing to do. It’s what they said to do in school. Someone had poured a YooHoo in her backpack the next day while she waited in the lunch line and without any witnesses, nothing could be done. Nor when the papers in her desk were stolen. Nor when her pencils were all broken. Nor when gum was thrown in her hair.

She’d tried the next school technique- ignore them and they will go away. Schools needed to learn about pack mentalities. So long as their friends thought it was funny, there was no reason for her gallery of taunters to change their ways. Lack of reaction only garnered new material about her standing there like a fat-ass turkey, so dumb it’d drown from looking up in a rainstorm. She’d waited patiently for years for karma to take hold and crush those who tormented her in kind, only to find that they morphed easily into the self-assured cliques that walked the halls of junior high. In two years there would be high school, another supposed chance for change, but she’d lost any real hope of respite.

Her father said it was better this way, so she didn’t get a swelled head. Friends would only make it harder when the change came, and she didn't need to run around with a gaggle of girls doing who-knows-what. At the same time he decried her social ineptitude. The fact that she couldn’t manage to fit in with her peers only evidenced that she was doing something wrong. She didn’t make the effort to fit in. She didn’t have a sense for people. She should stop painting them as bad and start taking a long look in the mirror if she wanted to see why they wouldn’t accept her. They saw the inadequacies she didn’t deign to acknowledge, and so would never remedy.

Her mother said it differently. People could be mean, people could be cruel. They would probably grow out of it. Tara had a different trial to face, and this was her training ground. Her demon would be a far crueler test than any pack of catty girls or mocking boys. As cruel as the one that her mother kept so strictly contained. Withholding emotion was just the beginning.

“It’s bad today, isn’t it.” Tara felt more than heard the answering sigh, still held in the safety of her mother’s arms. Even without a word, the heat radiating against her was answer enough.

“Don’t worry about me, Tarini. Your father should be home soon.” Her mother pulled away, standing and heading for the kitchen. “I completely lost track of time- I should probably get some supper started.”

“Hey Mama- I’m home!” Donny’s yell was punctuated by the slam of the front door. He would head straight for his room until food coaxed him out again. Their mother excused it. Boys will be boys, especially the teenagers.

Tara wanted to be a teenager. Just a little. She wanted to yell when anger welled within her. She wanted to talk back when she knew she was right. She wanted to complain about the little vagaries of life that afflicted everyone. She wanted so many things- and had been trying to purge herself of them as soon as she could recognize them for what they were. She could not afford to give in to impulse now and sow the seeds that would give the demon a foothold to take control. Seven more years of vigilance stretched ahead before she would reap any reward for the efforts, if ‘reward’ was what it could be called.

“Can you get the salad?”

Her mother’s hands were shaking as she began to pull together the makings of one of her yet-unnamed chicken-based creations. Times like this scared her. Her mother was the supportive one, the one who picked up the pieces after her father had torn her down, but there were times when she had no support to spare. Tara tried to help, if only by lightening the load in housework. In the worst of times she would support the spell work that helped keep her mother's mind centered, calm… almost human.

She'd wondered what would happen if her mother really slipped. Would there be any going back, once that monster had taken over? Sometimes, when her father had started his favorite speech, detailing everything he'd sacrificed for his wife, his daughter, of what he should have been- sometimes then Tara would wonder if it might not be better that way. A demon didn't care. A demon wouldn't feel the shame.

Those times were dangerous. Her mother had hinted of almost destroying her father, how close she'd come to losing everything she cared about. Her family meant everything to her. Tara's father said the same. Family was everything. A family took care of each other. A family was built on the obligations they held to each other.

The front door opened again and her mother almost dropped the pot in her hand. Eyes so dark they looked bruised flicked over her shoulder to the doorway where her father appeared a moment later.

"Home at last. If I never go to another one of those conferences again, it will be too soon." He set his worn briefcase on the counter, smiling as he met her mother with a loose hug from behind and a peck on the cheek. "You held up dinner for me, didn't you."

"I…" Her mother seemed to melt back against him, but her hands remained on the counter, curling slowly into white knuckled grip on the sides. The moment of relief she'd evidenced when he appeared had fractured into poorly concealed desperation.

"Damn- you're burning up. How long have you been like this, Judy?" The warmth in his voice was gone, replaced by rigidity in both posture and demeanor as he stepped away. When her mother didn't answer immediately, her father looked over to Tara with naked resentment. "How long?"

"Today. Just today, m-maybe this morning, sir." She shrank away. "The spell worked till then…"

"Magic." The contempt was bared at both of them but her father addressed the words at her mother. "You know that won't hold."

"You weren't here… it was the only thing…"

"You couldn't wait one more damned day?!"

"I tried. I tried." Tara's mother's voice wouldn't break, not while she was present, nor would the tears spill. Tara began to back away, anticipating her father's next words.

"Don't leave the house. Lights out at ten- make sure your brother doesn’t stay up till all hours on that computer." He turned heel, flinging open the sliding glass door and storming out into the night as it rattled. Argos barked at the sudden noise, bolting across the light cast through the window and swallowed again by the dark.

Tara’s mother sagged, stiff arms holding her up as she dropped her head slowly forward, her hair just long enough to conceal her expression.

“I’m sorry Tara… can you…” When she raised her head, Tara saw the subdued mask of reassurance, a look too familiar to hide the desolation beneath. She nodded mutely, abandoning the lettuce to take her mother’s place at the stove. She didn’t watch her mother follow her father out into the darkness, only hearing the faint click of the door sliding back into place.

Cutting the chicken she wondered if she’d get away with not having her math done. She’d rather the scolding.

Thinking about it would just drag her further down, so she deliberately turned her thoughts to how she could persuade her father to let her see Jurassic Park. It’d be in the discount theater this weekend, and the word at school was that it was very much a big screen kind of movie. The book had been good too.

Argos barked a few times more, but it was lost as Tara started up the stove.

------------------------

The clearing had become overgrown since she'd last been here, branches from the surrounding sage creeping inward and wisps of bleached grass reaching up from long undisturbed ground. Exposed sandstone offered its usual seat, dappled in sunlight that the thin branches above couldn't catch. Tara sank onto it, dismissing dismal memory from her mind. She looked to the clear sky above before her gaze dropped to the house at the foot of the hill, its flat gravel roof heavy and immutable against the sway of the foliage around it.

By the time Tara had showered that morning her father had gone out, to both her dismay and relief. She'd helped Beth with the dozen usual weekend chores, unchanged in the years she'd been gone. Her cousin managed to avoid her most of that time, disappearing just before noon to meet one of her friends in town.

Donny had spent most of the morning at his computer, scowling at the pile of handwritten slips their father had left him to enter. Unwilling to distract him, Tara had explored, looking for signs that life in the house had been changed by her absence. The window boxes lay fallow, their flowers and herbs lost to desiccating breezes and tidy neglect. The veggie garden was bearing its usual squash, if somewhat less tidily than it once had. The plastic owl on the roof still glowered at the mocking birds and crows that blissfully ignored it.

She'd thought to go up to the shed, but every time it came to mind, she'd found an excuse not to. The deceptively innocuous structure was no more than 100 feet from the house, yet that expanse of ground might as well have been the proverbial journey of a thousand miles, for the difficulty of taking that first step. Since her earliest memory it had stood as her reification of the inevitable, only to later become a monument to all the misery enshrouding her mother's memory. The house had its times of brightness, but this simple shack in the shade of a pepper tree knew only the choking control that had been tied so closely to it.

To this day, it frightened her.

From her perch, the shed was hidden, an oppressive presence always at the edge of her awareness, but more easily set aside. She could see the open stretch of the Soledad's pasture to the right and their horse-barn that abutted the Maclay property where she and Donny had slipped in to have an illusion of privacy. The horses would be out now, though she could only spot Pepe grazing near the far fence.

This clear bit on the hill was a space she and her mother shared, when rites called for open air and untamed soil. It could hardly be called private, and was certainly no secret. Her father didn't like to ascend the hill to find her, but a yell from below carried the sound up easily. She knew better than to ignore that call, though this was the one place she had heard the sigh of regret from her mother when obeying the same.

Only three days left till Samhain. Tara wondered if her mother ever heard the words she spoke in remembrance every year, or if silence from the world that had given her no peace in life was a mercy in death that afforded no exceptions. If so, she would still speak, if only to hold sacred what lay in her own memory. Perhaps this was the year that she could banish the tattered remains of the past, beginning anew with some vague sense of the hope that had eluded her for so long. The future she had thought closed by a sea of thorns had an opening- a dim, uncertain path that her father might illuminate or extinguish with the knowledge he passed to her.

But what if Willow was the one who was torn by those thorns by joining Tara's side? Condemning her love to join her in whatever hardship lay ahead was beyond selfish. She knew that, even as she clung to the support.

With a deep breath, she tried to release the darkness of that thought into the air around her. The energy here was clear and uncomplicated, a flow that Tara could feel almost as a breeze that moved through rather than around her. She was only just beginning to settle into a sort of meditation, discarding the anxiety that riddled her mind, when she heard the rumble of her father's truck returning. The crackle of the gravel driveway broke the fragile peace and Tara stood to start back down the slope, the tension that wound through her anew too tight to allow further contemplation.

-------------------------TBC in Ch 19, Pt II
Posted in chat 7/11/10 at 9:30 Central Time... from a hotel.
------------------------

sapphoselene- Welcome to the readership! I would hardly call this intricate... I'm not being organized enough for that. ^_^; I just took S5 as is, and changed one thing. Everything else is just the logical fallout. At one point I started trying to keep track of the way that made it depart from canon- there were more little things than I had realized, but it's still paralleling pretty closely. It might not be obvious because canon moves much slower than events are evolving in this story- I ended up writing down episodes in a calendar so I could keep track of what happened when...
Remember- feel free to criticize! Just because most people don't doesn't mean that I don't want to know what I need to work on/make clear/quit harping on.

-Never

Last edited by NeverChosen on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Changes (updated 7/12/10)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:36 pm 

I'm glad Xander's trying to make up for being a gigantic jerk... :)

I chuckled a few times in the last one! I'll have to find quotes when I have more time later :)

Great update!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:16 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
Still waiting for the other shoe to fall and her father not being able to tell her anything more than "we tie you while you suffer and you starve to death like your mother" but maybe that's just me. He's such a good target for animosity; all of them really even her insipid little cousin.

Wonder if the good doctor maybe slipped something else helpful to Willow? He has a clue maybe he has more of one than we think?

Xander... his hearts in the right place but his mouth gets him in trouble every time. Well hopefully by his playing chauffeur for Willow it will make up for some of the awful things he said to Tara in her eyes.

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:12 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... Good that Xander is trying to make amends with Willow... Maybe he's accepted as a Scooby in a decade or two ;-) ... I truly hope that Willow finds Tara before Tara does something "stupid" in trying to control the Draw...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:18 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great update.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:44 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Notice
I am breaking my rules.

It hurts, but it would hurt more to post something as awful as my last section and sign my name (or even pseudonym) to it… so I'm rewriting it from scratch. The chat people were already subjected to it- they know why I'm doing this. The rewrite will delay my update for a bit, since I also have Comic Con about to eat every spare moment of the next week.

My apologies for the two hiatus. I should be back 7/30, if the fates allow.

Replies

sapphoselene- It would be too easy to make Xander 2-dimensional; hates demons, judgmental, ergo sure he is right. There's a chat contingent that thought that he'd go into an Angel-speech at some point, even. He has apologized for the result of what he said, but not the actual words... which is an important difference to me ("Sorry that it hurt when I kicked you" vs "sorry that I kicked you") but Will may or may not notice.

Zampsa- Xander has been in Willow's life too long to disappear so easily. He may not be back on her good side for some time, but they've been friends just shy of forever- he's done plenty of stupid things before (Cordy-dating? Love spell? There are others that include harm to people she cares about, too, not just herself) and still Willow forgives him.

leonhart- I eagerly await hearing how I am amusing you. I always like to know what works for people and what draws an incredulous "huh".

vampy- If that was all that Tara's father could say, it would indeed be sad- and no help to our intrepid couple. You'll get to hear more than that from him, I can assure you… I like backstory too much to not tell a bit of it, and as much as people want to hate Mr. Maclay, I feel that I have to show something of how the situation Tara grew up in came to be. Nothing exists in a vacuum. You may still hate him, but I hope that you will understand him at least a little when you do.

As to
Quote:
Wonder if the good doctor maybe slipped something else helpful to Willow?
The answer is no. I know I should be vague and let you find that out on your own, but I just wouldn't write it. It's enough of a break that they just happen to have a doc that understands something about Sunnydale nightlife and doesn't keep a very-much-against-hospital-policy ritual from being done. If he could do more, it probably would have come up already. And if you meant pill pushing? Interns don't have full medical licenses, with prescription privileges- they can only prescribe through the hospital. Dr. Tautashep would be in deep doody in a hurry if he were dumb enough to try that.

SJ- You are too kind.

Thanks for reading, everyone!
-Never

PS- Ryan, I really do appreciate the criticism. I already knew this section had problems, so please don't feel the rewrite stems directly from what you pointed out. Keep the criticism coming! Better fic is your reward! ^.^ v

Post subject: Re: Changes (last updated 7/12/10)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:42 pm 

Hang in there NeverChosen. Don't worry about rules, just post an update you're proud of. We're all waiting with baited breath!

"We're in love. We're lovers. We're lesbian, gay-type lovers."

Post subject: Re: Changes (last updated 7/12/10)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:06 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Ch 19 Pt II Redo

Every job took twice as long as expected- that was a given. What was irritating is when it happened on a weekend and was a good ninety minute drive each way. He'd gotten the call in the wee hours of the morning and headed out before dawn, leaving a note for the sleeping kids. He'd hoped to be back by lunch, but the problem had turned into something of a disaster. At least that disaster was one he could fix.

The one waiting here at home was another story.

He grimaced, closing the truck door with a careful shove and heading for the shop sink. It seemed like he was always dirtying his hands for other people's emergencies- and some things didn't come clean with just a squirt of gritty orange soap.

The house was peaceful inside, quiet but for the clicking of Donny's fingers on the keyboard. He should have finished updating the records by now, so it was probably another one of his instant messenger "friends". Pixel people. There was nothing in that kind of friendship. Empty words traded in fun, but no substance. How could you depend on someone a thousand miles away? They'd give you feel-good messages, but when the going got tough they'd disappear into the ether of cyberspace- or whatever they decided to call it this year.

A note on the calendar reminded him that Beth was off with her friends again. Tara could learn a few things from her cousin about how to get along with people, but Beth could stand to learn a bit of his daughter's discipline. It was hard at this age, after his brother had been so lax, to try to impress on her the importance of applying herself to something other than trivial, evanescent joys. Preparing for the long term meant nothing to these kids, so used to instant gratification. Even Donny, puttering at his dead-end job and surrounded by people whose greatest ambition was a bigger screen TV, seemed to reject the realities of life.

Life is hard. Life doesn't ask politely if now is a good time to screw you over, so you'd best be prepared for when it decides to hit you.

They'd learn. He wished it wasn't so, but they'd all learn some day. For Tara, at least, they'd known when day that would be.

Tara's room was empty, the sunlight filtering through the curtains accenting every particle of dust in the air. She'd most likely gone up to her little communing spot on the hill- her version of a tree house, without the tree. It took a few minutes before she could get back down to the house, but she'd have heard the truck. If she was lost in some meditation, that was fine- he was in no more rush than the demon in her required him to be. If meditative stuff helped slow that, all the better.

He opened the hall closet, squatting down to the old photo albums and drawing a searching finger across them.

There was no good way to tell her what she needed to know. She had to be ready to hear the whole story before he could tell her that, and three years ago she'd run off before that day had come. It still stung every time he thought about it. She'd abandoned them, left without a word, only sending back a letter a few days later with no return address to tell him not to worry. How could he not worry about his daughter? Awkward, timid Tara- alone in a harsh, unforgiving world. He'd searched. He'd tried the police, only for them to turn him away. Eighteen was an adult in name only, but the law didn't care. He'd checked in with her old friends, an easy enough task with so few to call on, but they were as shocked as he.

She could've been sleeping on a park bench or murdered in an alley, and he wouldn't have known. He'd woken at the slightest sound over the first few months, thinking it could be her return. He'd left the porch light on every night, just in case. What she expected to gain from leaving wasn't clear to him. She wouldn't have the luxury of a roadtrip of self discovery or that nonsense. With only a few years before the demon awoke within her there'd been so little time left to prepare.

Maybe she wanted to find that world of instant gratification, giving up tomorrow for some cheap thrill today. With the future she had waiting, the temptation must have been great, but she knew the consequences were overwhelming.

Least-wise, I thought she knew.

Frustration at his failure welled in him, but he crushed it mercilessly. The only appropriate response to failure was effort. If she chose to surrender to the demon, there wasn't a thing he could do to help her. Even when he'd tracked her down and found her living on borrowed money and borrowed time, safely isolated from reality by the walls of her ivory tower, he'd known that she had to come of her own will.

Control of the demon came from within. He'd tried to make her strong enough, but there was only so much he could do. She hadn't inherited her mother's spirit, and without it the gentleness she had inherited seemed to have shriveled what little will to fight that she once had. Judy had wanted to give in and pamper her like a normal little girl, but he couldn't. It was too cruel, when he knew what was to come.

He settled into his armchair, conformed after the years so that the leather fit his frame perfectly. It was an indulgence, thanks to a thrift store find once the kids were old enough to not destroy such a thing. The photo album labeled 1973-76 rested on his legs. It creaked when he opened it, the plastic covered pages sticking together as he turned them. The photos had yellowed, or perhaps the color had never been as bright as the glossy prints they made now.

The wedding was mostly in a book of its own, this one starting with photos of Judy at Disneyland. She was laughing at him, forever captured in that moment of unadulterated joy. It wasn't much of a honeymoon, but all that they had the time to plan for or the funds to permit. He'd known Judy in high school back in Nebraska, but only as an unremarkable underclassman with crazy parents. It wasn't till he'd returned with a bullet in his back that he'd really noticed her. She'd blossomed into a real head-turner the last two years of high school and the joy that she'd always instilled in those around her only grew in that time.

Even back then he'd known she was a catch. He'd asked her out the day after she graduated, unwilling to run the risk of scandal by asking her before- in those days a high school girl, even a senior, dating a man two years older was considered cause for worry. In the following three months he'd been allowed for his shattered shoulder blade to mend he'd courted her with all the farm-bred manners he could bring to bear, following the standard operating procedure of dinners, movies, and flowers. He hadn't even known in the beginning how much flak she stood against in her decision to date a wounded soldier. She never gave him cause to know- he'd found out in a diner over cokes and burgers. He'd have broken the hippie's nose, but that it would've proved the charge that had been wheezed against him.

Judy had been impossibly patient and brushed it all off, more forgiving than he could ever be. Her kindness was indiscriminant, which he'd mistaken for naiveté then, but come to understand over the years that it was an expression of the strength she had.

They'd married not long before duty called again. Karma had favored him. The gooks would shoot a man in the gut or in the leg and leave him screaming for his mother in a clearing, waiting to mow down any poor bastard that went to save him. It was a dirty trick, but an effective one- he was living proof of that. The flip side was that he had the eternal gratitude of a Senator for bringing his boy home mostly whole, resulting in a cushy billet in India instead of heading back to the stinking jungles of Nam.

Another photo, this time taken by a buddy on the day he shipped out. He stood stiffly, uncomfortable in the eye of the camera. In stark contrast, Judy's arm was flung over his shoulder, in the process of turning back to the camera with a mischievous little grin. He knew he'd been morose all that day, but you'd never know from the happiness on his face. The frozen moment didn't show the unexpected kiss that had brought out that expression, nor the kiss that had followed, earning an approving catcall from their cameraman.

He'd been in Calcutta for three months when he received word that Judy was pregnant. He'd been so excited that by the end of the morning there wasn't a man on site that didn't know that he had a honeymoon baby on the way.

There were a few photos from the pregnancy, procured from his father-in-law Aluicius' collection. After pulling every string he knew, he'd secured the right to move his family to the consulate and after the longest months of his life she'd joined him in India, newborn Donald Maclay in her arms.

More pictures followed- Judy chatting animatedly with the Consul's wife, who'd had a baby girl only a few months before her and had more advice than Dr. Spock. Another photo showed Judy in a street market, trying to communicate to a weathered man who looked back with the bemusement of total incomprehension. Another in the deep shadows of early dawn, Donny sleeping on her chest as Judy's head tipped sideways to rest against the high wooden back, her eyes closed in contented exhaustion.

He traced a finger over the picture, trying to remember that contentment. Life was an adventure then, full of opportunity and wonder. Love tinted everything they did with its rosy glow, and Donny had proved to him what his wife had said all along; love isn't something you portion out, shifting from one focus to another. It flourished when given the freedom to do so- spreading in tendrils through everything it touched.

They'd laughed about that image. A love garden. She'd whispered promises to him about when they had built that garden, about what they'd do among the green and growing things, transmuting amusement to hungry anticipation. They'd been so blissfully ignorant that their garden would soon be sown with salt.

Her birthday changed all that. It was a very different kind of love that they'd had to cultivate in the ashes left in its wake, hard won and bearing more than its share of bitter fruit.

There was a break in time before the photos began again and even without knowing what had happened there was a desolation that had entered her eyes, a hardness in his. He covered the first of those photos with his hand, putting off for another moment the prelude to pain.

The last photo of their innocence was of his wife, facing a placid yogi who she was addressing with earnest enthusiasm, kneeling in the dirt. Judy wandered out among the locals with blithe abandon, delighting in tracing local magic and meeting those who practiced it. It wasn't until she'd met one that he found out about the spell she could use to translate her words, finally conceding that her meager grasp of Hindi wouldn't suffice for the sharing of their Craft. He didn't quite grasp why she didn't use the spell more often, rather than go through the ponderous process of learning a language she'd never need once they returned State-side.

His wife gave freely of her knowledge on these trips, and her unguarded charm won some truly esoteric teachings in return. She'd fairly glowed when she tried the new meditations or twisted her fingers into a new set of mudra. Even those that didn't seem to do anything made her happy- she said it was about understanding, not about lights or conjured spirits. The magic was a part of it, but not the goal.

He'd nod as if he understood, caring because it mattered so much to her. From what he could see, his wife's power put most of the revered yogis and aged swamis to shame. The translation spell itself had sent more than one into stunned silence. Not all of them, though. Those few made him nervous.

One such discussion had taken place just before he was dispatched for a month-long mission in Laos. He'd verbalized his worries about her and about Donny, who she left for the day or two in the care of the Consul's wife. She'd quieted his objections all too easily, but he'd still had a deep unease when he headed for the airfield, waving goodbye. If he was superstitious he would have called it a warning of what was to come.

There had been no good way to communicate from Laos. He'd returned on New Year's Day to find out that the consulate was in an uproar. A secretary to the Consul had turned up dead with no warning and there was no clear explanation of how the young man died. There were murmurings of an assassin, a possible plot that the secretary had the misfortune to discover. Benny Sinskey was his name. They'd played poker on Fridays. He'd rushed home to find his wife had locked herself in their quarters. He was told that no one had seen her outside for days, but that they had spoken to her. It must have frightened her terribly, they suggested, giving him empathetic looks.

He'd talked to her for hours through the closed door, his duffle bag still packed from the flight back and leaning against the wall beside him. She had been hysterical, both relieved and terrified of his return.

She'd told him she was dangerous, that something had happened to her that was going to destroy them, that he had to take care of Donny. In the end he'd kicked the door in, mad with his own fear of what she would not tell him. He'd shoved past the most gorgeous woman he'd ever laid eyes on, not caring why she was standing in his living room, not understanding why he could not find his wife in the little two room space. Donny was wailing in his crib at the noise and he'd swooped the baby into shaking arms before he remembered the stranger behind him.

She'd closed the door behind him, using a chair to keep the shattered lock from letting it fall open again. He was about to demand why she was there, where his wife was, what the hell was going on. He was about to- but she'd turned those shattered eyes on him, red-rimmed but dry, and he knew.

She'd melted into the perversion of herself that she'd become- darkness rising around her eyes, horns poking through her hair, but the basic features the same as those of the woman he married just a year before. He hadn't been able to speak or even form coherent thoughts as she guided him gently to their stout little couch and sat him down.

Somehow his shock had quieted her panic and she slowly told him the basics of what had happened. The floating. Seeking the advice of a yogi, only to be chased away where she had once been welcomed. Waking three days before her birthday with a tail. The nightmare that had followed.

For two weeks she'd 'dealt' with her demon alone. The body of the secretary was only one of five. Another lay dead, an anonymous Indian man who had found her where she'd tried to hide herself. Three more lay in the city's hospital, one of whom, they'd later learn, was never to wake again.

Throughout, she'd spoken in even tones, her head down and one clawed finger tracing little figure-eight patterns on her skirt. He remembered the sensation of her tail, starting to curl around his ankle as she spoke, before he jerked away not only from it but from her. He remembered the misery etched on her face, looking even more foreign than the marks of the demon, but could not remember what he had said. Only that he had made it worse.

Much of his memory of that conversation was blurred by the stupor he'd drunk himself into that night. He couldn't forgive what had been done to his wife, but the perpetrators were already reaping their reward. He didn't know what to think about Judy herself. After the first two deaths she had taken it upon herself to seek her victims.

He couldn't imagine her walking the busy streets, gazing from man to man, deciding who was going to die. What had she become, that she could do such a thing? Evil was the only answer. She was so much the same person, but the woman he married would not be capable of that kind of ruthless deliberation. The yogi who had driven her away had called her a rakshasi- a demon shapeshifter, a temptress of illusions. He was inclined to agree.

Demon or no, she was still his wife. He'd sworn to her in their wedding that he would give his life for hers. He just hadn't expected her to take him up on it so soon.

Not literally. She wouldn’t touch him. When her influence over him became too great she had gone so far as to cast him into an enchanted sleep. He woke to her touch the morning after, tears streaking over the dark markings of her face from reddened eyes. Whatever mystic compulsion he'd had was gone and her quiet anguish told him as much as he needed to know as to the cause of that reprieve. He had put away his anger then and held her close, utterly silent. He had no further comfort to give, and she asked for none.

In the following days she showed him how she could draw the desires of men's minds into physical form- the only way she'd yet found to hide what she'd become. Her ever-present tail was hidden as best they could. They sent a telegram to her parents, seeking answers but finding only confusion and the confession that she had been adopted when she was less than four months old, her birth parents unknown. Judy had tried every avenue of scry that she knew, but none gave her any answer.

The fire within Judy had dimmed markedly with days of his return to India, but still took heavy toll on them both. She could wait for a time, while men began to draw near as moths to the glowing flame within her. She hated to pull them in of her own will, but wait too long and a barely living husk was all that remained. A part of him wanted that- especially on those mornings when he scented the stench of another man lingering on her.

It was tearing them both to pieces. Their trips into the back country took on a tone of desperation, each lead more tenuous than the next. There was a photo of Judy posing against the jeep, trying to simulate the easy spirit she used to have. He himself was looking dour, shooting a consternated look at the cameraman from where he was loading supplies into the back. It was a long trip they'd planned, and not the last one.

--------------

"We've only got another mile before we hit bingo." He had to yell to be heard over the clunking of their jeep's overworked suspension and the wind in their ears. Roads out here were meant for things with legs, not wheels, and shook their vehicle relentlessly to prove the point. The comfortable chill in the air had turned biting when they were at speed, reddening his ears and making his eyes water unceasingly.

"It should be just east of here," Judy called up from the back seat, looking up from her latest phrase book. The rough roads were still particularly hard on her and for the last hour she'd chosen to recline as best she could in the cramped space behind him. It kept her out of the worst of the wind too, but her long hair still stubbornly flew free of the scarf she'd tried to tie around it.

True to her words, the road soon became more worn and signs of local habitation began to appear. He slowed, watching warily the conspicuous lack of human activity.

Crouching on the seat so that she could lean forward over the passenger's side, Judy scanned through her large sunglasses with him, though with far less suspicion. For all the villages they'd fled, the hostility they'd been met with, she never seemed to realize the danger. Every lead to another mystic brought out a new spark of hope. Magic here took different paths, both weird and wonderful, but it seemed to kindle some sense of kinship in his wife. She trusted far too easily the wide smiles and weathered brown faces.

It had been bad enough before, but now they so often faced menace when their entreaties were heard, turned away with harsh words that needed no translation. A few times words had been followed by stones, blades, and fierce pursuit. When they did find the mystics they sought it was little better. That was when the magic was turned against them, forcing Judy to draw on that same power in their defense.

Magic. When it came down to it, they'd gotten out of more situations with the Browning on his right hip than his wife's spells. A shot in the ground usually kept the natives back. He'd only once had to shoot a man, putting the bullet in his leg before the man's heavy knife could reach them. Judy could handle the mystics themselves, proving his theory that her power outstripped theirs.

There was little that they had learned, beyond the name they already knew.

Judy was convinced that where there was a name for what she was, there had to be more to learn. If she was not the first, then there would be stories of others. Slowly they uncovered the tales, poems, and legends. Much was equivocal, but none of it was good. The rakshasi did not serve evil, but what they did could not be seen as anything but. They lured men to their dooms, consumed the unwary, and inflamed the passions that seemed to be the enemy of whatever enlightenment these holy men sought.

He stopped the jeep once he saw buildings. The last time he parked too close they'd had to drive off on three wheels, the fourth slashed before they could retreat. He climbed out stiffly, stretching once before giving Judy a hand over the sideboard. She hopped down with a little pained sound, but gave him a grateful smile and a quick squeeze to his hand.

As they proceeded on foot toward the center of the village there was a happy shriek, followed quickly by another. Children of various ages appeared out of the woodwork, evading the warning hands of their revealed caretakers.

Judy adjusted the scarf around her neck, flashing a smile at the small parade of children forming behind her. Some shrank away shyly, while others were emboldened by the acknolwedgement, gathering another step closer to the stranger in their midst. She motioned for him to stop a moment, bending until she was at eye level with the tallest of her observers.

"Nomoshkar." She bowed her head, hands clasped together.

He knew she was mangling the pronunciation, but that never seemed to keep her from trying. She spent most of the arduous jeep rides to these backwater clusters of huts with her latest phrase book in hand, reading to him the strange, nasal Bengali that she was trying to learn. It seemed to him that she should stick to standard Hindi and get a better handle on one dialect before she moved to the next. He stared impassively at the gaggle of barefoot children, some hiding now that they were being addressed, some delighted.

He was happy enough to stick with English. It worked just fine at the consulate and when off-site, language might not always get across what he wanted to say, but dollars usually did. Out here they didn't even know a greenback from a dong, and they were worth about as much as the paper they were printed on. It was a good job that they could truck things out from the city that these people actually wanted, or they'd never get anywhere.

"Ah… faquir kotaai?" She submitted to the furtive touches of the bravest in good grace. They always did this in the back country, where her long dark blonde hair was unknown and their skin's pallor made them an alien curiosity. The sari that Judy wore was more traditional than the ones that had gained popularity State-side, simple and warm enough for the winter chill, but it hardly made her blend in. That wasn't the point of it. The draping cloth in the back hid the stump of her tail better than her bell-bottoms or the short, form-hugging skirts he'd loved.

He looked away from her stumbling attempts to coax a few words from the children or engage woman that rushed out to herd away the few that would listen to her. The children who remained chattered at each other, laughing at the spectacle the two foreigners presented. Children didn't need his attention- that was for the rest of the village.

"Lyss- do we have any more of the Hershey bars?" Judy stood, the crowd of brown gremlins hovering around her.

If they knew, would they crowd so close? If she handed them the candy with claws bared, her smiling eyes a startling white against the dark mask on her face? Before she'd found her way through a dozen different forms to return- almost return- to the woman he thought he knew?

Probably. It was one of the things the SeaBees had taught them- chocolate makes a great cultural ambassador. Kids would even flock to Leatherface for enough silver-wrapped sugar.

The chocolate disappeared quickly with the squeals of delight that transcended language, matched by the quieter joy in Judy's face. Her animation had dimmed so much in so little time, falling prey to the demon she'd become. He tried to tell himself that her weekly wanderings were out of a deeper love that kept her from allowing the evil inside her to consume him. That was love, wasn't it? To bind him in sleep while she gave her body to another- but reserved her love for him alone. That was what she told him every time when he awoke with her curled at his side with mournful eyes and brittle spirit.

The feeling of warm goo on his hand helped to ward away the thought into the same pit where he threw so many others. The last Hershey bar's remains were clenched in his hand, melted by the heat of subsumed rage and dripping like tainted blood. The sound of the children changed and his eyes flicked up, wary.

There was a man that had come forth, trailed by a few more that lacked his confident stride. His face was painted in white, head swaddled in undyed cloth. His untrimmed beard didn't hide his open smile and he announced something as he clasped his hands before him, his rings clicking where they met.

He looked equal parts yogi and village head- too adorned for one, while too strangely costumed for the second. With another clear string of syllables he bowed, not to where Ulysses stood, but Judy, half concealed behind him. There was a murmur from the lackeys at this, but they followed suit. A gentle touch to his arm as his wife stepped forward made him realize he'd dropped his hand to the grip of his pistol and uneasily he let it drop away.

"-that a daughter of Radha walks among us." The transition to English was as jarring as ever, this time uneven as the magic failed to follow the cadence of the speech it was worked on. Judy's spell usually worked better than this, making all her studied words irrelevant, and he gave her a questioning look. Her startled expression told him as much as her words.

"It wasn't-" She trailed off, uncertain hope entering her face.

Not her spell then, but the yogi's. His hand itched for the solid security of his sidearm but he resisted the urge. He knew the twisting hand signs to watch for now, signaling the assaults commonly found in their magic's path.

"Such radiance cannot be hidden from those who have eyes to see." The ingratiating words were accompanied by a gesture to follow. "You grace us with your presence."

"You know... what I am?"

What am I? It went unsaid, and was all the clearer for it.

>>>>>>>>>>TBC in Ch 19 pt III

Replies-

LonelyTara- I have this overdeveloped sense of responsibility that makes breaking my own rules kinda painful... I'd be more proud of all of this story if I went back and worked it over for a while- changed the order of some things, evened out some of pacing, fixed some wording- but my rules allow me to just plow ahead and leave my knee-jerk edit response behind. I hope this update was worth the wait. ^_^

To Everyone- Life is about to get very busy for a while and I will not be able to keep up my weekly posting schedule. I'll do my best to keep my hand in, but I don't know how much time I'm going to have... Let me leave you with a preview of what has been bouncing around in my head and intend to use for the future of Changes.

Long Term Preview, in no special order-
Someday, on Changes: A strike, a party, Glory, a call for help from LA, a fool-proof bad-guy detector, black-eyed Willow, green-eyed Willow, snugglies, the Council, and eventually- resolution.

-Never

Post subject: Re: Changes (last updated 8/1/10)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:07 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... Good to find out about the background of Tara's parents and how Tara's mom found out about her Succubus-hood and how she dealt with it... I truly hope that the way to control the Draw is NOT regular beatings...

Last edited by Zampsa1975 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:27 am 

ooh that was interesting - I'm struggling to hate Mr. Maclay right now... which is normally my default setting for him... so curious now!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:23 am 

Very interesting, I can't wait to see what the holy man has to teach them!

"We're in love. We're lovers. We're lesbian, gay-type lovers."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next