The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Worth Waiting For
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:20 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

i'm not gonna lie; this story has had me hooked since the beginning. :kgeek

god... words cannot express how much i hate tara's father... not that he even comes close to being deserving of such a role. :happy :happy :happy
i sincerely hope he'll get what's coming to him. soon. :pray

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:48 am 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
*big heaving sigh* This is my biggest complaint... unfinished stories.

You've built a great alternate and seem to be really doing it up with the horror of what Tara dealt with and what nasty cycle the women in her family have been put through for generations - which in and of itself is repulsive - and we do love to hate her family.

I like the way you've brought Oz back and with friends to mend fences, even Riley (who I personally was never that fond of) so please don't stop!

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:44 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hey there folks!

Sorry it has taken me soo very long to update. But here it is, finally, the next chapter.

Gimpgirl:

Here ya go! Thanks for the encouragement!

leftindust:

I'm glad you have enjoyed the story so far. Thanks for letting me know!

ms_psyhco_pep_squad:

I'm flattered that I got you hooked, this being my first effort and all.

I have been writing Mr. Maclay as eminently hate-able. I wish I could say I had never met anyone like him, but alas, there are people like him in the world. I long for justice to catch up to such, and so....read on!

Thanks for leaving feedback!

vampyregurl73:

I promised myself, and I promise you, this story WILL be finished.

I've glad my versions of Oz and Riley speak to you - As I have said before, I actively liked Oz in the series, and thought Riley had a lot of unexplored potential.

I appreciate the feedback!

All of you who have left feedback throughout - I want you to know how much I appreciate it. And with no further ado...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Are you sure, baby?”

A ghost of a smile crossed Tara's lips at the suppressed anxiety in Willow's voice. She made a conscious effort to square her shoulders and raise her head, meeting her girlfriend's eyes. “I-i have to try, on m-my own.”

Willow squeezed Tara's hand and stepped back, nodding in acceptance. “I know. But we'll be right over there. And whatever happens – I'm proud of you.” Willow smiled, doing her best to project love and support through the bond between them, and turned to walk to the picnic table where Marcy already sat.

Tara turned herself, her eyes searching the figures crossing the quad for the lean figure of her father. The butterflies in her stomach were doing their best to turn into bats, and she longed to call Willow back to her, indeed, to beg all of the Scoobies to stand beside her while she faced down the man who loomed so large in her fears. But she DID have to at least try to do this by herself, she knew, or she would spend the rest of her life hiding behind other people.

A stiff movement caught the corner of her eye, and she shifted towards it. There her father was, marching in her direction, his jaw set and eyes locked upon her. Feeling her pulse race, she glanced beyond him, and caught sight of her brother bustling along a few paces behind. Donnie looked...different, from her memories. Less arrogant, even perhaps, cowed? He certainly wasn't glaring at her the way their father was. Instead, his eyes kept shifting, flicking from here to there among the wandering groups of students, never settling anywhere for more than a second or two. Funny. He looks almost as nervous as I feel.

Her attention focused back on her father as he came to a halt a few feet in front of her.

He looked her over, the same dismissive glare that she remembered. “Tara.”

The possessive contempt in his voice didn't cause the jolt of fear she had more than half expected. Rather the opposite, in fact. She felt her back straighten and her own jaw firm as she met his eyes. “Father. Why are you here?”

She had startled him. She felt a flare of triumph frisson along her spine in the moment it took for him to realize that she was no longer the terrified girl he remembered. She watched his nostrils flare, saw him clamp down on the rage that flushed his face and neck.

“We're here to take you home, Tara. Before you turn twenty. You need to be under control when your...problem...gets worse.”

“My 'problem'?” Tara felt bitter laughter bubbling up inside her. Of course he would think he could use that old lie to control her again, to terrify her into accepting whatever he chose to do. “I don't have a 'problem', and I am not going anywhere.”

He stepped closer, his face darkening. “How dare you? Your mother didn't want to believe it, either, Tara.” His voice dropped to a sibilant hiss. “But your demon will manifest in a few months. I can't let that happen here. You are coming home, where you belong.”

“I'm not a demon. I will never be a demon. And my mother wasn't a demon either, you bastard!” Tara found herself shaking with anger, and closed her eyes for a moment, reaching for calm and control. “Go home, Father. Just go, and leave me alone.”

She felt his hands close on her upper arms, fingers digging into her flesh like bands of iron. “You are coming home, Tara. Your family has supported you all your life – you can't turn your back on us now, especially not with your birthday coming up. You may not believe in the demon, but then, evil never does believe itself to be so.”

At his touch, the old terror began to flood her system. She was unable to speak, unable to do anything but hold back her tears and try to breathe. Her eyes dropped to the ground, and she felt him move, releasing one of her arms as he started to pull her along the path back to the parking lot, brushing past her staring brother. Her feet moved automatically, keeping pace with him, avoiding the bruising tugs she knew would come if she did not.

And then, from behind her she heard a call, breathless and full of suppressed rage. “Tara?”

That voice. Willow.

She heard her father's harsh whisper. “Tell your friend goodbye, Tara.”

She took in a deep breath, and planted her feet, stopping her forward motion. Fear coiled cold in the pit of her belly, but she knew she was not alone, not this time. “No.”

She lifted her head in time to see him swing back toward her, her left arm still gripped hard in his right hand. His face was a study in fury, lips curled over his teeth in a silent snarl. His hold on her tightened, and she knew she was bruising; she imagined she could feel the individual blood vessels bursting under his anger.

He didn't have the chance to speak again, though, before a slender body was suddenly between them, and he loosened his fingers in sheer surprise. Tara shrugged away from his hand with a convulsive shudder, stepping back out of his reach as Willow, her amazing Willow, stood square between her and the man she had feared all of her life.

Willow's voice was low and steady. “She's not going anywhere with you.”

Tara could no longer see her father's face, obscured as it was by Willow's body between them, but her flickering eyes caught the clenching of his fists as he snarled, “I'm not going to be threatened by a little girl.”

Fear began to rise again as Tara saw flashes of her beloved falling beneath the punishing blows she remembered those fists dealing. She began to reach forward, to pull Willow to a safer distance, when she heard Marcy's voice behind her.

“Is there a problem here? Campus security is on its way...”

The muscles of his jaw clenching visibly, Nathan Maclay stepped back, and shot one more glare at his daughter. He grated out, “Donnie,” and turned and stalked away.

Tara felt her knees trembling. She was startled by a low voice just
behind her shoulder.

“This ain't over, Tara.” Her brother's tone held none of the hostility she expected. It sounded almost sympathetic.

Something was suddenly in her hand. Her fingers closed over the the paper before she consciously recognized it as such, while Donnie's shoulder brushed hers as he passed her, following their father.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The campus was quiet. Nathan Maclay had no idea why this town seemed to roll up the sidewalks come sunset, but he wasn't about to complain. Fetching Tara would be much easier without others around to question why two men were carrying an unconscious woman around.

Pausing before stepping from the trees onto the lawn by his daughter's dorm, Nathan waited for his son to catch up to him. The boy was nervous, again, breathing far more heavily than necessary for just walking along the carefully tended path from the back parking lot to the cluster of buildings ahead. He heard Donnie come up to stand next to him.

“Dad. Are...are you sure about this? I mean..we don't really need her, do we?”

He let his fist answer for him, sending Donnie staggering a few feet away, his hand now pressed to his eye. “I'll decide what we need, boy. You just do as you're told.”

Coward that he was, the boy simply nodded and straightened. “Yes, sir.”

Nathan snorted. Glad as he was that the boy would obey him now, he would eventually like to see him grow a spine and stand up for himself.

Dismissing the thought, he stepped forward, heading to the building closest to them. “Come on. Let's get your sister and head home.”

They didn't meet anyone in the lobby of the dorm, and only passed one sleepy-looking student heading up the stairwell. Nathan watched that one take the door that led to the second floor before continuing up to the third. Looking through the safety glass set in the door, he saw a deserted hall. Perfect.

As Donnie softly closed the stairwell door behind them, Nathan reached into his pocket for the chloroform-saturated cloth he'd placed there. He stopped before the door he'd been told belonged to his daughter, and knocked gently.

He heard rustling from the room, and a muffled “Just a m-minute!” in his daughter's unmistakable stutter. He felt the anticipation rising within him, and was not disappointed when she opened the door and he saw the flash of fear in her eyes.

“Come to see if I could change your mind, Tara.” Grinning mirthlessly as she started to step backward, Nathan darted close to her and slapped the drugged cloth over her mouth and nose, his other arm hard around her shoulders. He waited for her to take a breath, watching her eyes dart around frantically. “You're coming home, Tara, no matter what you think you want.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tara held her breath. She hadn't known quite what to expect from the note her bother had passed her that afternoon, his untidy script merely having alerted her that her father would be coming to take her tonight. Marcy had talked with campus security, ensuring that an officer would be in her room after dark. The therapist, along with Buffy and Riley, had also offered to wait with her and Willow.

The time since sunset had been tense. Xander and the wolfpack had spread out along all the possible approaches to the dorm, so they could alert Riley via radio to the approach of the Maclay males. Still, Tara had jumped every time a door closed along the hall, every time she heard a masculine voice outside her door.

Intellectually, she knew that the likelihood of her father and brother being able to slip past the werewolves was close to zero. On an emotional level, however...he was her personal Big Bad, a figure that had loomed over her life, seeming omnipotent and omniscient to the battered young girl she had been. And so she had trouble trusting that even all the safeguards that were in place now could keep her out of his hands.

But a few minutes ago, the call had come, crackling over the radio Riley wore attached the epaulet of his uniform. They were coming, her father and brother, and they seemed to be unarmed.

Now that he was here, his arm clamped around her and the cloth pressed to her mouth, she felt almost as if she were in the midst of a dream, every word ringing with crystal clarity while every motion seemed slowed. She saw Riley's look of fierce satisfaction as he yanked her father's hand down from her face and twisted his arm up high behind his back. She watched her brother back farther away into the hall, an expression of almost pathetic relief distorting his features. She heard the campus security officer announcing in what seemed far too loud a voice that Nathan Maclay was under arrest for attempted kidnapping, and beginning to read him his rights.

She barely felt the wrench as her fathers left arm was dislodged from her shoulder, and brought behind him into the cuffs. All she could do was watch, caught in a surreal emotional suspension.

And then Willow was there, lacing her delicate fingers tightly into her own, and that touch somehow seemed to carry reality with it. Tara flinched back from her father's snarling fury as he was dragged out of the room, feeling the all too familiar tremble in her limbs, the pressure of unshed tears behind her eyes.

“You're safe, baby. He can't hurt you ever again.”

Willow's words seemed somehow to cut the strings that were holding her up, and she felt her knees give way beneath her.

Buffy leaped forward and caught her before she hit the floor. Between them, Willow and the slayer got her seated on the bed, and she felt Willow's arm wrap firmly around her waist. Riley returned from the commotion in the hall and knelt down in front of her.

“We're taking your dad and brother down the the campus police station, and then on to the city jail.” He paused, his warm brown eyes searching hers. “I'm pretty sure your brother will be released, after he makes his statement. He said something about needing to talk to you, but that's completely up to you. Tomorrow is soon enough for that anyway.”

As he rose, Willow caught his hand and squeezed it. “Thanks, Ri. I can't beg-”

He cut her off with a gentle smile. “No need. Just take care of her tonight.”

Buffy stood up as well. “I'm gonna go with him. Oz and Doro are gonna keep an eye on the dorm till sunrise.” Her eyes flickered between Willow, Tara and Marcy. “If you need me, I have my cell with me.”

They filed out, and the door closed softly behind them.

Willow's arm tightened around her waist, and Marcy moved to take her hand, as tears began to trickle down Tara's face.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Last edited by Morrigan on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:52 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 1
Aww, glad you're back! And glad they caught Mr. Maclay - stupid psycho! Glad Donnie warned her! And I love that everyone teamed up to help her :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:53 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
I'm glad you're back and continuing the story!

Big "Yay" for and update! I will hold you to the promise to finish this (in as much as I can). ;-)

Now, will Dad go down or is the just a delay before worse tactics? Here you even feel sorry for Donny and apparently he had more spine than his "father" (and I use that term loosely) gave him credit for.

Looking forward to more!

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:22 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Excellent update. I am thrilled to see that bastard get arrested. Ironic that Donny growing a pair will be what sends daddy dearest to jail to be some giant hairy guy's butt monkey. I look forward to seeing how Willow and Tara continue to find their way to one-another as Tara heals.

"We're in love. We're lovers. We're lesbian, gay-type lovers."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:24 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I'm glad that this story is back!
And I liked the chapter. Big yay for Tara's father being arrested!
:peace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:01 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for excellent update-y goodness... Big yay for Mr. Poop-Head going to jail... I truly hope he stays there and becomes some big hairy guy's bride... I hope Donny basically says he's sorry and goes back home... I hope Willow's snuggle therapy session truly helps Tara to regain enough confidence to face her father in court...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:49 am 
10. Troll Hammer

So happy to see an update. You had left us in suspense and I'm glad to see you hadn't forgot about this amazing story of yours. Glad that Tara has such great friends/support system. Hopefully now that she wont have to fear about her brother and father taking her away she will be able to move on from that chapter of her life. Great update and looking forward to the next one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:58 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 2
Great to see an update. It was intense and good. I love your writing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7