The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Processing - New Part 10/14/09
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:08 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 1
Purrr.

Thank you. Nothing is so gratifying as excellent execution. Ideas are my forte. Enunciating them well- not so much. I agree with your assessment that this section was not as much funny in terms of witty repartee. The fun was more situational.

Now for the "I seem unable to give inequivocal praise" part… which is long because I'd rather be specific- the constructive part of constructive criticism goes poorly otherwise.

My only objection in the above piece was a degree of inconsistency in pacing and voice between sections. First section is squarely in introspective Tara POV. Second has rapid shifts between Willow and Tara POVs, with a lot of dialog that doesn't pause for description or extended thought process- not a problem, per se, but justa distinct contrast the prior section. Third is back in Tara POV, but paced quickly enough to go from a full day shopping to catnip to naughtiness within a screen and a half. When moving that quickly, the interruption of Felis interruptis (tee hee) actually was easy to lose. Stopping a reader requires stopping the flow of narrative in some form. Interruption, in this case, was mid-paragraph. Since we're already in Tara POV, switching the sentences around so that Tara is going about her business, then gets the odd reaction from Willow, then realizes the reason, then reacts herself puts the sequence such that it takes the reader through the process the same way that the character experiences it.

Or I could just be spouting nonsense. Advising someone who's a much better writer than yourself does seem rather pretentious… -_-; Feel free to eSmack me upside the head. I've probably just dissuaded you from ever using an idea I offer again (piteous sniffle).

-Never

PS- I tend to wish people would be more concretely critical for me… and I give what I wish to receive in terms of feedback. If you just want to write, enjoy, and see what people react to, then the critical material is irrelevant. And I will stop posting it.

Editted to remove silly idea

Post subject: Re: Processing - New Part 10/14/09
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:35 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Topics: 5
One from the vaults in many ways... I've not posted to this for over a year. Also the story I am posting now is actually old... I wrote it a few weeks after the last part went up but was never entirely happy with it. I think it was a little too off the beaten track and I didn't see the point so much.

However I just posted in the Xmas fic challenge thread and some feedback there reminded me this existed. You may as well have this too and I'll see about more. Like I said in that Xmas thread, I love the girls and writing them. It's just I don't have time for massive fic anymore (other writing to do!) This... this is just fun.

So, without further ado. Willow learns something about Tara she didn't know before...

Enjoy.

Katharyn.

----------

Title: Processing – Groupies
Author: Katharyn Rosser
Feedback: Constructive criticism is always welcome. Flames just demonstrate you have a tiny mind.
Spoiler Warning: Probably none, and why the hell do we need to worry about this years after the show went off the air? Suffice it to say nothing bad ever happened to our girls.
Distribution This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens (This applies to all my W&T fic)
Summary: Tara shows Willow a not so secret spot…
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc, etc. I am making zilch from this series of stories. You know the drill.
Rating: Umm, how do you rate the effect of the cold ocean on girls in bikinis? Whatever that is.
Couples: Tara and Willow forever. I doubt I’ll even mention anyone else.
Notes: This is me acting on a whim for lack of a better idea at the time. It’s not really about Processing as such, but it is a voyage of discovery for Willow especially. Besides, it’s kinda fun. I think what really bothered me is that – shy as she is – Tara didn’t strike me as the sort of person to be locked in her room alone all the time. I think she probably was out there, it was just she was never bold enough to get a girlfriend. So, all that said, why not this?
Thanks To: Louise for teaching me everything I know about the sport (not much!). Once I was told that wiping out on a big wave was like being hit by a truck I knew I had to stay on shore… and just watch.

Processing

Groupies

By

Katharyn Rosser

“I feel so bad for leaving Miss Kitty,” Willow said, and not for the first time.

“She’ll be fine,” Tara promised. “C-Cats are very self reliant. Point of fact, you know that it’s them who takes on a human. They don’t need us at all.”

“But she’s not a cat, she’s a kitten and we’re bound to be missing all the cute stuff she does when we’re getting up.”

Tara just had to smile, it was obvious what Willow was more worried about. Being from a working farm she was used to pets and animals, whether cute or otherwise, but for Willow it was still all shiny and new. Ira and Sheila Rosenberg were – between them – allergic to just about everything other than a fish.

Not that she’d been introduced to Willow’s parents yet. A point she’d politely raised at a particular impolite moment. It’d happen, Willow had promised. But then – right at that moment of denial – Willow would’ve promised her anything.

Anyhow, Willow enjoyed watching Miss Kitty and Tara enjoyed watching Willow. They were both cute, both delightful even when they were sleeping and they both liked some of the same things too.

Playing with their ears. Blowing gently on the backs of their necks. Tickling under their chins. Willow wouldn’t agree, but in many ways she was Miss Kitty on a larger – redder – scale.

Stroke either of them in the right spot and they’d purr like a kitten. Only for one of them the reason was a little different.

And while back home they’d always had cats and dogs – mostly for working reasons and mousing on the farm – she’d certainly never had a Willow of her own until now. No, she’d had to come to California for that.

California… a great place to be. And it had other benefits too. The ocean for one.

“Where are we going anyway?” Willow asked as she switched to carry her shoes on the other side and took up Tara’s offer to hold hands.

“I told you,” Tara said. “It’s a surprise.”

They were here on the beach, where the ocean was breaking on the shore, walking barefoot on sand. It wasn’t that warm, especially when the edge of the waves lapped across your feet. Getting Willow up for this – without giving her a good reason – had been tough enough. It wasn’t so much that Willow didn’t know how to get up early, but more that the attractions of staying in bed were very obvious to them both.

It should be worth it. She was hoping it’d be worth it. It’d either be worth it or really, really embarrassing and who wanted to go there?

Of course they could’ve parked a little closer to their destination, but that would’ve given it all away and they’d have lost the advantage of the walk itself. Because this was pretty. So it might be cold since the sun hadn’t had chance to warm the place yet but it was so pretty.

“Do you come out here often?” Willow asked.

“From time to time,” she said, giving nothing away.

Perhaps being so certain of their path was a mistake in terms of presentation. It just proved there was a place they were going, that they weren’t just revelling in being here with each other. Willow was well able to tell the difference by now. They’d done enough walking and enough revelling for her to have figured that much out.

Was this surprise about to all be spoiled by the insatiable curiosity of this woman she loved?

If so then – once again – Willow would be just like Miss Kitty. The kitten was exploring a world that was totally new to her and finding delights in every hanging tassel, every slippery floor, every item of clothing left out in error and every new toy that all of Tara’s dorm mates suddenly found themselves buying just to have a reason to come and play with the bundle of fun. No longer such a sneaky cat and more of a minor celebrity.

Willow was less of a celebrity – this was a Californian college and being a lesbian wasn’t exactly unusual – but her wide ranging curiosity was especially intense in terms of starting to see the world through rainbow coloured glasses. Tara wondered from time to time whether that could ever be a negative… It wasn’t the Willow she’d fallen for, but it was a Willow who was ever more confident in her sexuality and everything associated with it.

And – in part – that was what they were doing here.

Was it such a bad thing? For her girlfriend to grow into who Tara had desperately hoped – and never expected that time they’d first met – Willow could be? A self-aware woman who loved women.

Or more specifically, her.

“You know we missed sunrise,” Willow said. “If that’s why were here.”

“Really? You don’t say!” Tara asked, taking her sunglasses off to make the point. Though early in the morning, the light bouncing off the ocean was already bright and she’d definitely needed the glasses to drive down here. “And whose fault was that anyway?” Willow had been the one who was tardy in getting up.

“Alright, smarty. Smugness doesn’t look good on you. So what are we doing here? It’s not anything about fish-men is it?”

Tara shook her head. She’d heard all about the fish-men that were the swim-team from Sunnydale High. Or what was left of them. It was enough to make you consider being a vegan.

“Because fish-men, not high on my list of things to see again. That’s why we – you know, the ‘we that I’m in with someone else than you’, we fight these things. So we don’t have to see them again. It’s better all around. Out of sight out of mind. You know usually that involves stakes and dust or goop – there’s often goop – but sometimes we just let them go. Not that we could’ve caught them cos, hello, if we were as good swimmers as the swimming team they’d we’d have been the swimming team - ” Willow faltered. “I’m doing it again aren’t I?”

“We’re going to take in the view,” Tara said just to end it. “No fish-men involved.”

Willow seemed happier to follow her then and Tara wondered just what her reaction was going to be when she saw what they were here for. Should be fun…

Or a total misjudgement on her part.

As they came around the headland, all was gradually revealed. First one, then more and then… “Holy moly…”

“Yeah.”

Even though it hadn’t hit seven o’clock yet, the beach ahead of them was… actually it was kinda empty. But that was only because everyone who had been out on the beach was in the surf instead. The road overlooking the beach was lined up with parked cars though.

“This is why you were checking the weather forecast the last few days?” Willow asked.

Smart girl, but then who’d doubted it? Tara just smiled as they walked around the shore, watching the surfers ride the point breaks in towards the shore and a few of them she recognised even from this distance.

“You’ve been out here before, haven’t you?” Willow asked.

“I usually park up here but the spectacle seemed more important.”

“It’s amazing,” Willow admitted squeezing her hand.

“A correctly placed low pressure system, a little bit of an onshore breeze and… this happens,” Tara said.

“Hotties with great bodies getting all wet…”

Willow’s exclamation sounded more than a little wistful as they sat a safe distance from the waterline and watched the antics of the almost exclusively female group of surfers. She looked at her girl. “That’s certainly a viewpoint, and also an interesting way of putting it.”

Sudden panic crossed Willow’s face, the sort she always slipped into when she realised she’d said something out loud rather than just internally. “Well, I mean – what do I mean? I mean – definitely mean, the waves are amazing and it’s really, really pretty out here too.”

“Nice try, sweetness,” Tara said.

“It’s not my fault,” Willow said firmly. “I’m… it’s like, well I’m overwhelmed with all the gayness you inspire in me. How can I be gay and not notice them? I mean… it’s a…”

“Smorgasbord,” Tara supplied as Willow was struggling for a word, if not the gestures.

“Yeah, a smorgas – smorgas – one of those things. No. It’s not – I mean, because smorgaswassits means eating and eating – bad context. Bad, bad context. Oh, look at that wave.”

Tara wasn’t letting her off hook quite as easily as that though. “The wave or the girl?”

Willow sighed. “Oh, what the heck. How can you be immune to this? I mean, poise, grace - ”

“Bikinis.”

“I know! And it must be cold – No, wait. Where was I?”

“Poise and grace,” Tara offered.

Willow glared at her. “Yes, thank you. Those. And ability. Dedication. Athletic achievement. All those good things.”

“You know,” Tara said. “I’d believe you more if you hadn’t followed that girl with your eyes, right out of the water and up past us.”

“Well,” Willow replied, “she was just demonstrating that it is, in fact, cold in there. I rest my case.”

And Willow certainly wasn’t referring to how vigorously the woman in question was towelling herself down once she got back to her car. “Hmm. I wonder how you could tell? Come on, love, just admit it.”

“Admit what?”

“You’re looking at these girls. It’s more than obvious.” Talking of which, as they were joined by one of the girls who’d just come out of the water, Willow was right to notice the obvious. This ought to be fun…

“Tara! I thought it was you, hey honey.”

Or not…

“Honey?” Willow said under her breath, Tara couldn’t miss it though.

She turned and looked at her girl, wondering just how shocked Willow would get. All the more so when she got to her feet and loosely hugged the visitor, ignoring how wet it got her. It was the ocean, the spray had been falling like rain anyway. “Kyla, great to see you.”

“It’s been what – a couple of months since we saw each other? We thought you’d abandoned us”

“Just b-bad luck. I’ve been kinda busy when the surfs picked up,” Tara said.

“What with?” Kyla asked.

Tara glanced at Willow, not meaning that to be how she’d announce it to either Kyla or everyone else that was her – or not – and knew her.

“You got a girlfriend? Woot. It’s about damn time, I thought I’d have to bi-try just to get you some.”

Tara winced, not exactly what she wanted Willow to hear, but that was who she was. Kyla was everything she wasn’t – or hadn’t been – confident, toned and easily sexual. It was part of the draw of being a kind of friend too. Though she couldn’t deny she liked to look as well. But the way she figured it, if you were confident enough for bikini’s in waves that could – and did – rip your entire suit off then you were confident enough to be looked at.

“Sooo you two know each other?” Willow asked, not exactly being subtle. Her girlfriend knew surfers who ran around in bikinis well enough to hug. Yeah, she could see why that might be a surprise compared to what she might’ve been expecting.

“Oh yeah, Tara’s been coming down here ever since she got to Sunnydale,” Kyla said.

“You have?”

“So, what we learned here is that you don’t know everything about me,” Tara said and shrugged. It was something she’d wanted to share, but how was she supposed to explain it without bringing Willow down here? And how was she supposed to get Willow down here if she knew the truth? Catch 22. Staying quiet and just bringing her had seemed the best way.

And it was pretty.

“So I can see.”

“I’m Kyla. Since Tara doesn’t seem about to introduce us.”

“Sorry.”

“Willow,” her girl said just a little warily. “Who – umm, what’ve you been doing down here sweetie?”

Tara found that Willow’s arm had slipped through hers, pulling her closer. Was that a little jealousy? Possessiveness? About that bi-try joke Kyla had made? It was perfectly possible that Kyla was the most hetero woman Tara had ever met. Least from what she knew and what she hoped Kyla wouldn’t go into right now. Reassuring as that might or might not be to Willow.

She hesitated to label Kyla ‘straight’. There was another connotation to that which didn’t quite cover the same ground as ‘heterosexual’. To her ‘straight’ meant someone wasn’t into girls. Heterosexual meant that that woman was very definitely – and actively – into guys.

And she knew which of those Kyla was.

But why shouldn’t Willow be a little possessive? Tara’s girlfriend was right about most of these women, they were hot in a ‘sickeningly buff and healthy’ way. Unlike models they had curves – mostly of subtly taut muscle – without being body-builders. It wasn’t a look Tara aspired to, but she knew there were bars where these girls would collectively win a LOT of female attention if they chose to go in.

And she knew that a very few of them… did. But not Kyla. Never Kyla.

“You really don’t know?” Kyla asked.

Tara shook her head, not wanting Kyla to go there. She knew, absolutely, what her friend was going to say. They’d been labelling her this way the whole year.

“Tara’s a groupie.”

“A groupie?” Willow’s disbelief was obvious.

“Surf groupie. I mean, not seriously but… she likes to watch.”

Willow obviously didn’t like being told this by someone she didn’t know and who – by her own definition – was hot verging on smoking. “Yeah, I noticed that about her too. Just not… surfing. You did mean the surfing didn’t you?”

“Willow!” Tara protested. She had to make some effort to maintain her reputation didn’t she? Lots of people watched sports. Lots of people watched training for sports.

Or even recreational activities. There was really no need for smutty innuendos here. Especially from her girlfriend.

Except when she’d first stumbled on this little gathering, she admittedly hadn’t been looking for sports of any kind. Walking on the beach and… oh my. She’d kept coming back, just watching, alone. Until… eventually, something had changed and she’d gotten involved. Helped someone – and then everyone was talking with her.

Friendly.

“Yeah,” Kyla said. “I meant surfing. Look, I have to get back out there.” Tara found herself being hugged again and the surfer whispered to her. “She’s a doll.” And then out loud. “It was nice to meet you Willow.”

“Bye,” Willow said with one of those funny little waves she’d made her own.

“Is Sara out there?” Tara called towards the water as Kyla headed down there.

A shout in the affirmative and her friend was paddling out once again. Meanwhile her girlfriend was… not amused. This wasn’t going quite as Tara had planned. Willow was supposed to see the beauty. In whatever sense.

“Who’s Sara?”

“Oh, she’s really cool.” Going further than that immediately seemed… unwise.

Willow was probably right to be a little sceptical. It wasn’t that she couldn’t know anyone who was cool. It was more a question of anyone cool knowing her, by name and actually giving her the time of day. Willow had been proudly part of the uncool, nerdy brigade her whole life and had probably been pretty certain that the woman she’d fallen in love with was cut from the same cloth.

And she was - mostly. It was just that – every couple of weeks – people here were kind of cool to her. It wasn’t like she was partying with the surf crowd or anything but wasn’t it okay for people to know your name? Say hi? Ask how you were doing?

Even people in bikinis?

“She is huh?”

“Yes. She is.”

She wasn’t giving up on this. Willow might be sceptical. She might be verging on jealousy that had no basis in either fact or wishes for the future. Okay, Tara would admit she didn’t mind spending some time enjoying the sights of the ocean and the girls who rode it, but that didn’t mean she wanted anything other than what she had right here and now.

To make the point she shuffled up closer to Willow and put an arm around her, but even that wasn’t a success.

“Eww, sand. Sand in my shorts. Ew!” Willow leapt up, shaking at her shorts and Tara watched as a miniscule amount of sand dropped out – pushed in there when she’d scooted up to her.

She sighed. “Willow, baby… Don’t worry about it.”

“You don’t get it. Wet sand. In my shorts.”

“It’s better than dry sand anywhere else,” Tara murmured.

“I heard that.”

“And it’s true all the same. Come on love, get down here.”

“No. I’ll just stand,” Willow said, shifting from one foot to the other, brushing the accumulation of sand away.

“We’re not leaving – not till I speak to Sara. Until I Introduce you,” Tara said firmly. It hadn’t been her mission, but now she was on one all the same. She wanted Willow to be able to enjoy this place too. She didn’t know how rare it was. Nearly anywhere else they went the guys controlled the surf by sheer force of numbers. Here… From what she was told, it wasn’t the best break in the world – or even in the Sunnydale area – but it was theirs. And even sitting here in the sand, she played a tiny part in that.

“I can meet her another time,” Willow said. “When the sand isn’t so… wet.” Tara looked at her. “Okay, look, I just don’t like the feel of wet sand! It’s not weird.”

“You just walked across it for a couple of miles,” Tara reminded her.

“That was my feet. That’s different. But anywhere north of my thighs… Wait, I didn’t mean that like it came out.”

“I hope not.” Tara was willing to admit maybe she’d made a little mistake by not bringing something to sit on, but usually she’d be going down there and chatting to the emerging surfers. Even – sometimes – helping with a little first aid when the inevitable bad things happened. That was what’d gotten on speaking terms with so many of them. “Look, will you sit down if I take my shirt off?

Willow hesitated and Tara realised that perhaps she hadn’t meant that the way it sounded either. “Umm, for you to sit on.”

“Not if you’re going to flash all these women.” Willow sounded oddly defensive again. This was what territorial Willow sounded like.

Which was kind of nice. Tara pulled her t-shirt off over her head, leaving her in her bikini top.

“Ummm.”

“Willow?” She laid the old tee out. She got wet so often down here – once again, something to be careful how she explained – she’d taken to wearing the oldest things she had.

And the bikini.

“Ummm.”

“Baby?”

“That may be the single hottest thing I’ve ever seen,” Willow said eventually. “I didn’t even know you owned a bikini.”

“Just one,” Tara admitted, though she wasn’t sure why she felt like she was admitting anything. They were living by the ocean. “You think it’s too much.” Willow’s incredulity was making her feel a little self-conscious. Was it too much? Showing off more than she should be comfortable with. Hmm, comfortable. That was an odd thought. It had taken her weeks to dare to even wear it under her tee, let alone as her only upper body covering.

Especially here, where the average woman was in far better shape than she was.

“No… I think it – you – I think you pulling your hair across after you took your tee off… Holy Moly Batgirl. I could eat you right up.”

She didn’t need the reassurance, but she felt it all the same. “What about the wet sand?” Tara teased, as if she’d allow Willow to do that here.

“I’d find a way,” Willow promised. “You know… maybe I was wrong about this place.”

“Because I took my top off?”

“No, not at all.”

“Because you think I look hot in a bikini?”

“Well,” Willow said, “I do want to see the rest of it sometime, but actually I think you look kind of cold – in an appealingly hot way.”

That was true enough. “But you like this place because of me?” That wasn’t what she wanted at all. The ocean, the landscape… and what people did here. That was what Willow was supposed to be looking at.

“Anyplace you are is where I want to be.”

“You know what I mean.”

“No… it’s beautiful. And the surfing is kind of cool. Especially that it’s all the girls here right now.”

Tara laughed. “You know, I’d believe you if you weren’t still staring at me while you said those things.”

Obediently Willow did turn and look at the surf instead. “Better?”

“Much.”

“Hey, is this that Sara you talked about?” Willow asked.

Tara peered past her, to the tall rangy woman with more sense than to be in a bikini at this hour. “Yup.”

Rather than a bikini or swimsuit Sara had her wetsuit on – Tara was pleased to see – though it did hide the fact that the thirty-some year old was probably the most in-shape woman she’d ever met in her life. Even compared to the other bodies around here.

Just as Sara waved, still a little way off, Willow turned to her. “She’s gay, isn’t she?”

Tara looked up, startled that Willow would be able to tell. By her own admittance her Gaydar wasn’t the greatest. It turned out – having missed it in the news – Willow hadn’t even been able to tell that Ellen was gay. They’d even argued about it. So was this an improvement or an educated guess?

“Yes, she is. And she’s been with her partner for ten years,” Tara said. Just to get that little chestnut out of the way. Perhaps it’d relax Willow to know that. About Sara. About them and their future too. Tara had never contemplated that this thing they had wouldn’t survive beyond college. It might falter for other reasons, but if they were still going strong then ten years could easily be the smallest part of their love.

She was on her feet and ahead of Willow before Sara reached them, pulling her into a hug too. This was a side of her that Willow had never really seen – she got that. So quiet in college, so shy. Here though… These people saw her only sporadically, but they recognised that although she didn’t have the coordination to go out there like they did, she came here for some of the same reasons.

“Hey girl,” Sara greeted her, hugging her with one arm.

“Sara.”

“Kyla said you were up here – about damn time.”

“Sorry. I’ve b-been busy,” Tara said, knowing she wouldn’t be able to keep the grin off her face.

“I know! Kyla just told me you found yourself some pus – Ah… Sorry, that’d be you, right?” Sara turned her attention to Willow.

“Willow – the pussy in question.”

Tara yelped. She couldn’t help it. Willow had said that? Had she just heard it right? It wasn’t just a sporting gap between her and these women who surfed here. Nor just cultural, some of them had grown up in places like they had. But to a woman, they were all more comfortable with the kind of language she could only describe as ‘spicy’.

But that word… that word was kind of perfect.

Sara offered her hand and Tara saw her girl wince as it was shaken perhaps a little too firmly. Sara was sparing with her hugs, but firm with her handshakes. “Sorry about that.”

“No, you’re okay,” Willow said, smiling happily. “I’m who’s been keeping her away – but not anymore.”

It was that simple? Someone almost called her a pussy – though in the best meaning of the word - to her face and Willow was suddenly happy to be here? Or was there something about Sara? Could they have just clicked that fast? Why not though…? She and Sara had.

“You’re okay, Willow.”

“So – how’ve you been apart from satisfied?” Sara asked her.

“We got a kitten,” Tara said, important news first.

“Oh good God, you have pets already? Together? And when’s the U-haul booked for? Or has it been and gone?”

“Willow’s already, mostly, living with me,” Tara admitted. Sleeping with her at least… Were they turning into a cliché already? Oh well… Never mind. “Plus, we c-can walk everything over if we need to.”

Sara laughed. “And I don’t need to ask how the sex is, I can see that.”

Tara felt herself flush, the extra blood in her cheeks hot and bound to be obvious. Willow though – she was pleased to see – was taking to Sara a lot better than she had to Kyla, laughing along with her – despite her own embarrassment as the other half of that sexual coupling.

“How do you know Tara?” Willow asked.

“From right here,” Sara replied quickly

Tara watched as her friend sized her girlfriend up. First time that had ever happened, obviously. It wasn’t anything personal; this was how Sara was with everyone. Actually she supposed it was how everyone was with everyone else; it was just that Sara was less subtle about it than most others. Like she always said, ‘life’s too short to waste it.’

Of course, Sara had usually said that right around the time she was offering to hook her up with some surf buddy or someone she knew from a bar. Somehow – despite her desire to find someone to be in her life – she’d known she was never supposed to accept one of those offers.

She appreciated them though, more than she would have if anyone else had tried to set her up.

“She was sitting here,” Sara said, sitting down and unfastening her leash from around her ankle. Must be that she was done and had to go to work. “Watching us.”

“Watching the ocean,” Tara corrected. Things were still new enough with Willow not to want to introduce the idea that maybe she had a wandering eye.

“Watching us and the ocean,” Sara adjusted. “I wiped out and the wave sucked me down and then spat me out right under another board. The fin did this…”

Sara unzipped and pulled aside the top of her up wetsuit exposing a smooth, pink slice mark. Perfectly straight up and over her shoulder.

“Ooh, it’s doing well,” Tara exclaimed.

“See, that’s what your girlfriend is like,” Sara said to Willow. “Mine couldn’t stand the sight of blood – and boy am I in the wrong sport to avoid that – but Tara… she came over, gave me something to press against it, helped me clean it up and then drove me down to the ER for stitches.”

Willow beamed. “Hmm, yes, that is my girl.”

“And she has wonderful hands,” Sara deadpanned.

Willow being Willow, she bit, despite the fact some sort of joke was obvious to someone who knew Sara better.

“You know about her hands?”

“Only from the TNLC.”

Willow looked at her. Tara shrugged, she didn’t know what TNLC was either.

“Tender, Non-Loving, Care. Nothing to worry about here, Willow.”

“No need to tell me that,” Willow said, looking smug. “I’ve got her.”

“And she’s got you,” Sara said. “Look, you ever thought about coming out?”

“We’re not in the closet, but we don’t - ”

“No. Out there.” Sara pointed.

Willow looked to her for guidance. Tara shrugged again. Sara had tried this with her. There were all sorts of reasons to think about it, it was just that she could come up with about twice as many not to. Trash, sewage, jellies, repeatedly lost swimsuits and sharks just being a few of them. But let Willow come to her own conclusions on that.

“In that?”

Sara chuckled. “No, just some baby waves, around the headland.”

“I don’t know, it looks like it needs grace and balance. And I don’t really do balance.”

It was true, Willow sometimes got dizzy coming down the stairs.

“Well, if you do Grace, tell me how she was.”

It took a moment, but then they all erupted in laughter. “I thought you were happily – umm – partnered.”

“Wouldn’t have it any other way, doesn’t mean I can’t still make a few jokes, does it?” Sara asked.

“I guess not,” Willow said, taking her hand. Tara squeezed it in return.

Sara stood up, peeling back her wetsuit the rest of the way and tying the sleeves around her waist. All it did was show off her impressive physique. And – subconsciously – that might’ve been part of the point.

“Look, you should give it go. Balance isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. What’s the worst that can happen?”

Tara winced; Willow didn’t need any help with that one. Willow was an encyclopaedia of the worst that could happen in any given situation. Wrong question. Very wrong.

“Maybe I will.”

Not wanting to put her girl off, Tara hid her surprise. She’d practically been invited to obsess her way out of it, and yet…

Hmm. She’d heard about doppelgangers already from Willow, and this seemed like a case where one might actually be in evidence. On the other hand, twice the Willow-goodness. More Willow than any woman could take – though she’d have tried her best out of love for both of them.

“Good. If you want to, let me know, Tara has my number. Good to see you, Tara Nice to meet you Willow.”

After waves and their own farewells they were alone again. “You have her number?”

“But not in a gay way,” Tara insisted.

Willow laughed. “She looks like she’s fun though.”

“I never dared find out.”

“What does that mean?”

Tara looked at the retreating Sara. “Way I hear it, she probably spent last night drinking, dancing and getting it on with her girlfriend.”

“At her age?”

“She’s not that old!” Thirty something, she’d never asked, but it’d rush up on them too one day. Karma dictated not suggesting it was a negative thing.

“Still…”

“Well, anyway. She can do that, then come down here before sunrise and surf before she heads off to work. Wash, rinse and repeat.” Tara knew she sounded impressed – and she seriously was. But then she supposed it was habit by now and something that Sara enjoyed.

“Ouch.”

“Yeah. You really thinking of trying this?” Tara gestured at the waves.

“I think I could give it a try. Would you mind a surfer girlfriend?”

“There could be advantages. So long as you’re careful and as long as you keep your board in your own dorm, not mine.” She didn’t think it’d happen but…why would she object?

Willow kissed her, not so much for the promise but just taking the opportunity. She was like that. The slightest excuse… It was nice. “Never thought about her?”

“Like that? No.”

“Oh.”

“Why?” Tara asked. Willow was capable of flashes of jealousy, but it didn’t sound like she as going fishing, so what was this?

“I just though… ‘Tara and Sara’ – see how that fits together?”

“The only person I fit with is you.”

Then they did kiss, properly, and Tara only interrupted it when Willow’s hand had crept to her bikini and an amused voice passing by told them to get a room. They already had a room. When they parted they were slightly breathless though and turned back to the ocean.

“You know, when I look at this, the power of nature just overwhelms me. It’s so… awesome. What do you think?” Tara breathed.

“I think… I think… You’re going to think this is really shallow.”

Tara laughed. It was something about the girls here then. “Go on.”

“I have no idea anymore how any girl is entirely straight...”

Tara laughed once again. “Oh no, sweetie. You’re not confused about that, you’re just biased by the hotness of me.”

“And all them… by hotness. But… I get it, I do. It’s not for me but I get bi-sexuality. What I don’t get at all is being 100%, no-way-down, hetero… I can’t see it from here anymore.”

“Honestly, I never could,” Tara said. “But you don’t have to worry about that. I’ve got you.”

“So… just reassure me baby,” Willow said a few minutes later. “It’s not like you actually want a girlfriend who’s ripped and looked great in a bikini, resists cold that should shatter bones and has a keen sense of balance is it?”

“I can’t imagine why I would, love.”

“No… me neither.”

Chance in *Chance*
-------------------------

Post subject: Re: Processing - New Part 12/05/10
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:31 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great story...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:14 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
You just have that W/T banter down pat, don't you?

I bow to your extreme greatness.

And I lol'd for a good 5 minutes at the 'Tara and Sara' bit. Really not good. Up there with starting to dress like your girlfriend and having the exact same haircut!

Quote:

That made my heart melt Image

Thanks for bringing this out of the vault and sharing!

PS: complete sidenote, I completely loved the Xena/fisting/fishing reference in your challenge entry. As a new convert to the show who just bought and watched all 6 seasons in one go, it was fresh in my mind but when no one else mentioned it in the comments, I didn't want to seem like the lone perve :blush

:peace

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:37 am 
23. Volumey Text

Laragh - I have my version of them down, I will admit that. Not sure it's very canon, but since I wrote Sidestep for longer than Tara was in the show I think maybe that version was what I write now LOL.

I actually re-read this and found that I like it more than I recall. All I could remember before was that it was, umm, surfing and what did that have to do with the girls? Actually, it reads better than I thought it did. At least it's not so glaring as I thought it was.

Glad you enjoyed.

Zampsa - Thanks as always.

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:48 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

I really love stories that explore more of Tara's personality. The show always ruduced her to an extension of Willow. I always thought she should have been so much more. Great story...I hope it continues!! :party :pray :pray :pray

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:37 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Quote:
“So… just reassure me baby,” Willow said a few minutes later. “It’s not like you actually want a girlfriend who’s ripped and looked great in a bikini, resists cold that should shatter bones and has a keen sense of balance is it?”

“I can’t imagine why I would, love.”

“No… me neither.”

Awww. They are so cute together.

My heart and I have wandered aimlessly beneath the Weeping Willows, searching for the sun. - Hayley Westenra, "My heart and I"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:54 pm 
23. Volumey Text

SMGOVAN - Thanks. I feel so guilty for no reason! Everyone is saying they like to see Tara's side of things (and I very much agree!) but I tend to write it 50-50 and now I feel bad for writing Willow at all! Tara is more fun though, seeing Willow through her eyes (love/amusement/sympathy/desire) is always a blast...

Promthea128 - Thanks! And yes, cute, cute, cute :)

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:55 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
Hey,

Really enjoying this story!

I like the idea of them getting hot and heavy on the floor after the Gentlemen; near death does wild stuff to mood and inhibition.

Also like your spin on them. Good dialogue, especially captures Willow's quirky speech, and I like the characterization too.

How about some more?

Too long to wait!

Ariel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:06 pm 

Absolutely and perfectly delightful. I'm thrilled that you've revisited this series, and I hope you'll continue to work on it. Congrats on the other writing you're doing, I just hope it won't keep you away from us for too long. A few favorite moments:

Quote:
“Mmm.” Better and better, she’d found a woman who could cook. How was that for investing in the future? In your face guidance counsellor!

This had me thrashing around, laughing hysterically. I love the idea that they were swept up with passion during Hush and ended up making love, and that then they got to go back and discover their affection for each other--and Tara's great cooking!

Another hilarious moment:

Quote:
Playing with their ears. Blowing gently on the backs of their necks. Tickling under their chins. Willow wouldn’t agree, but in many ways she was Miss Kitty on a larger – redder – scale.

All I could think of was Willow playing with Ms. Kitty, telling her she had a catnip problem. Tara's so right, they're twins in a different species.

LOL

Wonderful, wonderful stuff. I look forward to reading more. On another note, I have to say, I hope you've changed your standing on reading fics. I know there are a lot of us who could benefit from your critique.

"We're in love. We're lovers. We're lesbian, gay-type lovers."

Last edited by LonelyTara on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:48 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 1
Katharyn, I think there is a conspiracy to keep you here via leaving feedback. If not.. there should be! I love the little vignettes you and sassette write. Funny coincidence that while I am currently reviving my fascination for surfboards, you dig up this little treasure. (I previously built miniature surfboards, sans the surfer babes – my human forms are too stick-figure-y!) Anyhoo.. I love the idea of Tara going to the beach. She frequented the Magic Box and went to Wicca meetings but there had to be more. Hanging at the bronze, alone, wouldn’t have been her style. Cute comparison between Willow and Miss Kitty.. LOL.

Quote:

Awww.. this really got me. Absolutely perfect and ditto for Willow feeling the same way about Tara. I also dug the reference to Tara’s line in Restless and Willow’s gaydar kicking in. I’d have to quote the entire story to list all the funny/sweet moments. I hope you find the time and inspiration to continue sharing your Willow and Tara stories with us. Excellent as always.. Hooray for your challenge submission too! Thank you..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:00 am 
23. Volumey Text

Kajun - Conspiracy? Perhaps... like one breadcrumb after another! I never considered that the world needed miniature surfboards, but now I can see it!

This story came to be because I was taken along to the beach. I was actually made to try surfing but it's not my thing. If I'm going to get wet *cough* then I don't want to be all that inaccessible in a wetsuit *double cough*

However the real genesis of the story was more about exactly what you mention. What the heck did Tara do with her life in Sunnydale before Willow, and actually after meeting too? Why not this? Not the most likely, I know, but it was more about her helping out than being all surf-groupie :)

Thanks.

LonelyTara - Notes below about continuation. I - generally - think I can probably manage an update every 4-6 weeks without interfering with my other writing too much. But I need ideas on the theme! Stuff that they have to go through, stuff that might be amusing :)

I blame Sassette for the place I find myself in with them making 'friends' after the hot/scared laundry sex... Yeah, it's Sass' fault.

My stance (as you put it) on reading fics. It's not so much a stance (which implies activity!) as the lazy way... My time is sparse and if I read and feedback that is time I could be writing. I also hate to find that I've picked up an idea from what I've read - someone else's work - and subconsciously taken it on board then use it. I know I'd hate it the other way around!!

Then there's the fact that I have a lot of fic peeves (post SR, dead Tara's even coming back to life, stories which (wonderful as they may be) aren't about the girls that I know and love etc etc etc) So when people are reading and commenting on my fic and I know they have a fic, who do I go read? Well, to be fair it should be them. But there's so many sometimes and then what if I don't 'like it' because I have a peeve? Then I'll be all guilty about my peeves and that gets awkward and *BREATHE*

Yes, I was just channeling Willow, but actually that is very much how I feel about it. I've been sucked into beta (let alone just feedback) on fics I really didn't enjoy because those people were kind enough to enjoy my fic. That's kinda painful! Luckily they never saw the light of day (and weren't on this board)

Yeah, it's really selfish in one way. But a fair sort of selfish! When I just don't have much time to read and do a proper job of feedback for lots of people, doing none really seemed easier and fairer.

God, now I just sound like a total bitch so thanks for giving me the chance to do that to myself!!! ;) I want to read more, I do... but actually doing it is a toughie! Especially catching up pages and pages and my feedback on the earlier parts being so out of synch with where the thread is then and *BREATHE*... LOL I am back with Willow there.

I don't know. If the UK austerity drive gives me a kick in the teeth perhaps I will have lots more time for that... *SIGH*

Ariel - You sound like you're speaking from experience on the whole laundry wild sex... Hmm?

More... see below ;) Thanks.

As for continuation... Yes. I am currently working on a Willow coming out to her parents story. It's not turning out all that funny so far, so change of pace there. Still light hearted though. More ideas requested though... Last time someone gave me an idea it got written so... it happens :)

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Processing - A Family Outing
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:37 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Hi Kittens. Happy new year and here is me cheating on a resolution after what 5 hours? I've resolved that I will post a story here on the kitten every month to 6 weeks in 2011. I reckon I can achieve that without getting in the way of my other writing and to be honest it's about the most fun I have with writing.

So the cheating? Well, I finished this on December 31st and now I get to cheat and post it for part of the 2011 quota :)

This one isn't so 'LOL' though it has a few moments I think are nice. But it seemed like a story I needed to tell in such a chain with the loose theme of 'processing' and 'getting to know you.' I looked for the funny, but at the end of the day it never felt right to make it that way so here we are.

Also, it grew. Most of this thread has been a few thousand words, this is like 12K or so. Therefore to make sure it posts okay it's split in half for length (and no, my cheating doesn't extend to claiming that as two months worth...)

PS - This marks the last of my 'obvious' ideas. So I need less obvious landmark ideas from you kittens :) Season 4 or possibly the vacation between then and S5 would be ideal. Is there something you've always wondered about and wanted to see written? See, honestly, the toughest part of writing T&W for me is just getting that hook. After that, the girls write themselves.

Enjoy.

Katharyn

----------------------
POST 1 of 2 for length
----------------------

Title: Processing – A Family Outing
Feedback: Constructive criticism is always welcome. Flames just demonstrate you have a tiny mind.
Distribution This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens please and certainly not without asking.
Summary: Tara and Willow face up to one of those moments that you just have to go through.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc, etc. I am making zilch from this series of stories. You know the drill.
Rating: It’s a clean one…
Couples: Tara and Willow forever.
Notes: I struggled in this one to find and then keep up the humour. It’s there, but it’s not the main point as it was in some of the others. That said, I like the story and it’s one I think is ‘important’ for a series like this. Just don’t expect so many laugh out loud moments as some of you found in the others.
I was just reviewing the last few chapters of Sidestep and noticed in there a coming out scene that reflects this one in many ways. Since it was written 2 years ago or more and I’d not remembered it, the similar references there must’ve been in my subconscious. Trying to do too much at once. ‘Sparking.’ Weird perhaps, but I like to think of it as my subconscious setting up a link between that alternate world and this one which is very much the T&W we all know and love. Thanks, subconscious!
Thanks To: My folks. Who never made me go through this. But then I was rather… obvious.

Processing – A Family Outing

By

Katharyn Rosser

“Was there something you wanted to say to me?”

“Mom.”

“Y-yes, Willow?”

“I’m gay.”

“Really, sweetie?”

“Yeah, that’s pretty much me. Gay, gay, gay. G-A-Y. Gay. Homo-lesbian-dyke type lover… Sorry.”

“I don’t think you want to get into the repetition so much,” Tara said. “And you definitely said that you didn’t want to apologise.” Her breaking character effectively called a halt to the rehearsal.

Somehow the object of all of Willow’s affections managed not to shake her head in disappointment, but even if she had it would’ve looked adorable.

The hair… The eyes… The Tara.

Adorable in a can.

Willow sighed all the same. There was both the image to inspire that and then there was also being able to sense the disappointment Tara had managed not to show. It was a tangible thing. Or maybe those were her own feelings, as Tara never quite managed to do disappointment right. Not in her. So, yeah, she was disappointed with herself, much more than Tara would ever be.

Because the woman to her right was… well, right. It really wasn’t what she’d had in mind at all. Apologising? No. Well, yeah. But no.

“I know it’s not wrong, I mean – hello – it can’t be so wrong if it’s feeling this right. I wasn’t actually apologising for being gay. I’m definitely past that and what you’re saying is so true. No, I was apologising for like, well – for putting them in a position where they have to think about it. For being… inconvenient, I guess.”

Tara stayed quiet for another block. “But isn’t that the same thing?”

“No,” Willow said replied as she signalled and made the turn. She’d considered it and come to the conclusion she was on solid ground here. “I think I apologised because – even when it’s you pretending to be my Mom – it’s so unexpected. A surprise.”

“Some p-people like surprises.” It was something Tara had told her more than once, which made her wonder if it was a hint for her birthday or the holidays? Maybe not. Tara wasn’t much of a one for nefarious subplots.

But for right now and this surprise… “No, love. Some people like surprise parties and gifts and stuff like that. Not many people ‘like’ the unexpected to come along and change everything they were ex – Well, lets leave it at there being a reason they call it ‘unexpected’.”

“I remember you said I was unexpected once,” Tara told her.

It wasn’t exactly needy, but since they were at a stop sign and she could, Willow reached over and took Tara’s hand. Squeezed it gently. “You were definitely unexpected. You were so unexpected I didn’t even know what I wasn’t expecting. I mean, you came from that out of the blue place. I just looked up and there you were.”

“You looked over. I was the one who looked up,” Tara told her, repeating that move now. Something about this was making her what? Shy? It was a look she’d seen with decreasing frequency in the time she and Tara been together. As they got used to each other’s ways and learned to read each other’s moods, words and actions. As misunderstandings decreased and they knew what to expect from each other.

“But I still had to look as well,” Willow said. “You can’t do eyes meeting across a room – or a circle of would-be-wiccans – unless you’re both looking. But what’s really wrong? Don’t you want me to do this? I mean, I thought you’d be all ‘yay for gay’”

“I…”

“That’s a no,” Willow said. “And we can definitely turn around if you want. It’s not like I was looking forwards to it.” Alongside ‘I’m a witch’ or ‘I’m pregnant’ she couldn’t think of much that was bigger in terms of talking to the family. Sneaking out to watch ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ really didn’t even rate on that scale but was about the most trouble she’d ever gotten into growing up.

“No,” Tara said, absolutely clear and refusing to allow any of that nervous, shy little stutter get in the way. “No way are we turning around. This is the right thing to do.”

That was the thing about Tara, the thing she’d come to expect now and never let her down. This girl of hers had strength that no one could see.

No one else in the world probably knew about it because no one had ever got as close as she was now. Tara Maclay was… It was like peeling an onion. A sweet, non-stinky onion. But just when you thought you’d seen what was there, you discovered the hidden depths to the woman which only increased the admiration, the attraction and the ‘Oh my God I’m the luckiest woman in the world’ feeling.

Whatever happened in life, she knew that she wanted a Tara Maclay alongside her. And, luckily, she was the one who had such a thing. “Then tell me what it is.”

“I just think, maybe, you’re making too much of this. Trying to do too much at once.”

“It’s just efficient,” Willow managed to say, still failing to find any better way of putting it. She’d said those very words more than once already and Tara hadn’t really argued with her, even though she’d been able to tell it wasn’t a position her girl agreed with.

“Th-that’s one way of putting it,” Tara said. “But I’m not sure that efficiency is really what you need right now. I mean, you’re afraid of surprising your parents with it because it’ll – what – make them have to think about something they hadn’t thought about before?”

“Kind of,” Willow agreed. She signalled and made the turn, not too far away from home now.

No. This was what had used to be home.

Home was a nebulous, indefinable concept right now. Home had been the Rosenberg house. Then it’d been where her friends were. Then it had been a succession of college dorm rooms, the latest of which was with her best friend except… didn’t it seem that way anymore.

Home, increasingly seemed to be where Tara was. That was what made her feel at home. Home, right now – the place she was comfortable – was here in this car. She could live in her car if Tara was here with her. Except… no room for a bed and a future of snuggles in the backseat?

No. Maybe not the car.

But the point was that home was pretty much in Tara’s arms. Where had she spent most of her free time recently? Tara’s room. Simply as a place, was that really any better than her room? Yeah, fine there was the privacy but really only because of the Tara-like quality to it. Aligning home with another person was something she’d never felt before. She’d never connected it just to being with someone, to that concept.

“What was I saying?” she asked as they pulled up to another stop sign. Now they were back into the neighbourhood, these things were every fifty yards or so. Convenient as a child, but ‘damnably annoying’ – as a certain English librarian might’ve said – when you were driving through here.

“Efficient,” Tara prompted.

“Yeah, I just kind of meant getting your meeting them out of the way as well as the gay thing.”

Yeah, she realised how that sounded even as she said it. Too late… Words out of the mouth and released into the world. Run wild little words, run wild and free.

“I know you didn’t mean that like you said it,” Tara told her.

Some people said that to you and you knew that they were really ‘telling you off.’ That wasn’t Tara. Tara did know. Tara trusted. And Tara never really – or at least very rarely – told her off, not even when she deserved it. And there had been a few times she knew she had deserved much more than she’d gotten.

“You know me. I never do. But… You’re right, these are big things. Being gay, telling them that. I couldn’t sleep last night, or the night before, thinking about it.”

“I noticed.”

After all, Tara had been there. Been there for the tossing and turning. Been there to distract her and prove one or four more times – if there’d been even a tiny bit of doubt – that gay was what she truly was.

“So did Miss Kitty,” Tara added. “She noticed too.”

Different type of fun, but yeah… Cats napped so she didn’t have to feel guilty about keeping the kitty awake. Miss Kitty didn’t have classes to get to.

“All right, I’m sorry about that – not the sexy times – but the keeping you awake. But, I don’t want to keep going through that. Again, the worry – you can keep up the sexy times as long as we’re both interested. It’d feel wrong too - ”

“I kn-know,” Tara said, before she could get to it. “Not the sexy times.”

“It’d just feel wrong, telling them one thing but holding back another that was just as important and just as big?”

Tara nodded, she could obviously see that.

Willow wasn’t done with her reasoning though. “They have to meet you, because I don’t want to – look, meeting my friends was all screwed up and I’ve told you why, but my family… I want them to know you and I want them to know what you mean to me. If it helps, the last time that Mom and Dad saw any of my friends was when they were set on roasted Willow on an open pyre. So…”

“It’s not just me?”

“It’s not just you. Things are - ”

“C-complicated, I know. But… dropping the G bomb on them and ‘by the way, this is my girlfriend’?” She thought for a moment. “I’d just hate them to think it was theoretical gayness.”

“Umm.”

“I mean, I’m not telling them that I think I’m gay. I’m telling them I am gay. Kind of a biggie when it comes to differences. And you’re the proof. My Dad’s big on scientific methodology, where do you think I get it from? He has lots of books. He respects proof and… well, you were right there when I proved I was gay. You were my proof, can’t that work for them? A little bit of Tara magic?”

Okay, it felt more ridiculous than it probably sounded. Did she really think it was going to be that easy?

It was – she supposed – why she’d been lying awake these last two nights since she’d decided that this was very definitely the time. Because she just didn’t know whether it would be that easy.

Or not.

Okay, Dad was on the conservative side, but not in the political sense. And when it came right down to it, her whole life, he’d just wanted her to get on with what made her happy – so long as that reflected hard work, a sense of personal accomplishment and good moral values. Moral like ‘live a good life’ rather than ‘hate that person for being X’. He’d been the quiet encouragement side of the family unit.

Much like Tara, she supposed. And while the girl she’d fallen for wasn’t exactly ‘hard work’ but there was a definite accomplishment there. And when it came to morals, Tara was like the moral eel. No, that wasn’t a joke she was going to tell. But who could fault Tara over her morals? He should be happy, right?

Mom… Her mom she had no idea about. All her life she’d been hearing about equality, freedom to choose all sorts of things. But also about the grandchildren their only child would one day present them with.

Okay, so the kids thing wasn’t impossible despite the ‘OHMYGODSOMETHINGTHATBIGSISCOMINGOUTOFWHERE’ side of things, which was actually nothing to do with her sexuality and everything to do with OUCH. There was at least one technical solution and gay, straight or something in between maybe she just wouldn’t have wanted kids anyway.

It wasn’t something she’d talked to Tara about either – nor had any intention of raising any year soon - but… Those were the sort of parental expectations she’d be rocking to their foundations because that was the way that parents thought, wasn’t it?

It was all very well having a right-on Mom, albeit one who’d once tried to burn her at the stake, but she couldn’t get past the fact that it might be different for Sheila Rosenberg’s own child. I mean, why break the habit of a lifetime?

“You don’t mind do you?” Willow asked, suddenly uncertain of whether all this hesitancy was Tara’s low key of saying ‘no way in hell, get me out of here!’

“Will, I… I really don’t want to be the girl who turned their daughter gay,” Tara admitted with a sigh. “I don’t want them to hate me for that. Is this the place?”

Willow turned off the engine. “This is the place. Casa Rosenberg. . How could anyone hate you? And, by the way, don’t flatter yourself, honey. You didn’t turn me gay anymore than being dumped by a werewolf did.”

“I didn’t?” Tara was teasing with her feigned disappointment.

“Nah, you were just the girl who got to me first. The proof, perhaps. But the theory had been going around a while. Not for nothing did I occasionally hang out around cheer leading practice. Even when practitioners of the black art weren’t having their wicked way.” Wait. That had sounded bad.

“Uhuh,” Tara was about to lean over and kiss her, but then hesitated and glanced out of the window at the house.

Emboldened by the promise the gesture held, Willow ignored her own hesitancy and did kiss her. “Yeah. You were the proof. The certainty that I was right about myself. Maybe I’d never have gotten there, never accepted it if it wasn’t for you but… I looked in your eyes and… well, it was like someone turned on the light.”

“Th-that sounds like - ”

“No. I was always who I am. But when the light went on, I could see. I could see you. I could see me, reflected in those pretty blue eyes of yours.”

“They were beautiful eyes last night.”

“Well, now they’re pretty. And that’s just as good. There’s no better or worse in that. It’d be like saying that they reminded me of a glacial lake one day and the blue eyes of an Egyptian sarcophagus the next.”

Tara took a beat to think about that. Sometimes, Willow knew, other people who didn’t have Willow-brain did need that moment.

“Y-you don’t see a hierarchy in those two things?” Tara asked.

“I was struggling to think of something and there was that show on Discovery last night…” Willow shrugged.

“I definitely prefer the glacial lake.”

“So do I,” she admitted. “But actually, they’re not really that colour. So will ‘pretty’ do?”

Tara grinned and nodded, checked the house one more time and stole another kiss from her. Willow found she was a willing accomplice in that too. Sometimes, apparently, crime did pay.

And it even helped her feel a little better.

“Do I really want to do this?” she asked, already with her fingers wrapped around the door handle.

“N-no,” Tara said.

“No?” Umm, what had happened to encouragement girl?

“No, you got the question wrong. You should have asked do we really want to do this.”

“That is a critical difference,” Willow said.

She already felt that when she and Tara were together they could do anything. That wasn’t a ‘magic’ thing, though that was part of it. Just that… She couldn’t explain it, even to herself. All she knew was that the hard stuff was easy – or at least easier – when Tara was around. Things were clearer. Everyone else in her life, past and present, had actually made things seem more complex even when it was a good thing.

Tara… Even though she had her own opinions, just like everyone else, Tara made things simpler.

Even this.

“I don’t know why I’m worried,” she said, mostly to herself, as they walked up the drive. Both her parents cars were here, which meant they both were too. The Rosenberg’s weren’t the biggest walkers in the world so it was a good sign.

“Because you’re perfectionist,” Tara said. “Y-you want it all to be just how you think it should be.”

“You, Missy, know me too well.”

“You’re an open book.”

“And I thought it was just my legs that did the open thing around you. And my mouth, I guess.”

The way Tara reacted then; you’d have thought she’d just accused the Pope of stealing from the Vatican coffee fund. Out loud. Stood in St Peter’s itself. She looked horrified. Which had to be something to do with where they were, since she’d made them both blush with worse than that since she’d – well, since she had first opened her legs. “Willow!”

“They’re inside. My Dad only comes out to go to his car and to ride the mower.”

“Even so…”

“Sorry.” Wait. She was about to introduce Tara as her girlfriend. Not a friend who was – very obviously – a girl, but her girlfriend. The one person in the world she was sharing everything with. Body, soul, heart and mind. “No, look…” She paused at the door. Uncertain what to do or say next.

Tara looked at her like she’d made a boo-boo and now was worried about it.

Willow realised that stopping like this had made her disagreement seem overdramatic. So she apologised again. Sometimes she just couldn’t stop doing that. “Sorry, I only – I stopped to think whether I should just use my key or we should knock. The bell is also a viable possibility.”

“Wh-what would you usually do?”

“Let myself in. But…” She’d brought a guest who had redefined ‘home’ and that kind of felt like she’d forsaken the right to waltz on in.

“But I’m here,” Tara said. “Sorry.”

“No, you don’t apologise. This is me. All me. But – that other thing, they’re not stupid. Once I say you’re my girlfriend, they’re going to know we’re having of the sexy times, even if they’re a little fuzzy on the mechanics.”

“M-mechanics?”

“Bad choice of words. The details. There’s never been a mechanic, and never will be. Unless, you know, you wanted to go into that line of work. Or even to just dress up. I could see you in overalls and a wife-beater. Boots. Doesn’t have to be engine oil, you know...”

Tara didn’t mistake what this was. Rather than admonishing her for her filthy mind – or congratulating her for it – this beautiful woman recognised that this was deflection. Hesitancy. Something other than meeting the folks. “We’re here now,” Tara said, putting her back on track.

“We are. We totally are. Here we are.”

She raised her hand, ready to knock. Then thought better of it and went for the bell. Then hesitated again. She did have the key. And there was something else that probably needed to be said. “I mean, do parents ever like to think about their children having of the sexy times?” Willow forced herself not to apologise again, she’d pretty much overcome the reflex to do that every time she talked – even by implication - about the Mom that Tara didn’t have any more.

“Don’t they?” Tara asked, not even noticing since there was only one of them here who was oversensitive about it. “If they want grandchildren?”

What was this now? Was Tara making the case for this becoming an apology rather than a simple statement and ‘be part of our lives together’?

“No!” Willow replied. She was pretty certain about this one. “Grandchildren is an outcome, I’m pretty much sure that my Dad never wants to know I had sex. Which is kind of reassuring because I don’t want to know that he knows. Mutual ignorance is definitely the new bliss.”

“And your Mom?” Once again Tara put her back on track.

“I don’t want to think about it.” Except she was thinking about it now and… Oh no, it was bad… She had the horrible feeling that Mom’s advice would be horribly practical. Or would’ve been, if her Mom had a clue about what was happening. As it was… Sheila Rosenberg was an unknown quantity when it came to having a gay daughter.

And this really wasn’t helping with the getting through the door thing.

Which was probably why it was Tara who reached past her and rang the bell. See? Making the complex things simple again and the simple ones easy.

-----------------

First impressions counted. Tara had been told that over and over by most of the people she’d looked up to. ‘They’ said that you had seven or eight seconds to make an impression and then that was what people thought and remembered about you. It was so difficult to change that impression later.

And it was tough to argue with what ‘they’ said because that was precisely how she reacted to people too. Even when she tried to more be open-minded than some other people.

But, for her, it didn’t really help to make that good impression when - quite often - it took you two or three tries to get the really easy word out of your mouth. Like ‘hello.’ Or even her own name.

Eight seconds to make a good impression and she could spend fully a quarter of that time trying to introduce herself. Maybe even half of it.

She recognised that she was shy by nature. She knew that about herself. She was even conscious of some of the reasons for it. Didn’t mean that she found it easy to do anything about though.

How those first few seconds of real awareness had gone with Willow was the exception rather than the rule. She tended to be small, to stay quiet and not to voice an opinion that people might take issue with, Willow hadn’t even noticed her until well into the meeting when their eyes had met. Partly that hesitance came from her stammer. But partly the stammer came from her lack of confidence rather than being a physical thing.

It was a vicious circle and Willow had broken her way into it with a wrecking ball made of green eyes, genuine kindness and hotness on a scale she hadn’t even thought possible.

They were drawn to each other on so many levels. Attraction had been instant, if it hadn’t been they wouldn’t have been here now. First impressions though>? Well she’d… Apart from the whole monster thing, she’d already been on her way to go see Willow that night after the Wicca Group. She’d looked her up in the student directory and was on her way over to Stevenson. Maybe she’d been ready to talk about spells, but – at least in her head – she’d been ready to turn it to… ‘other things.’

Even then. And that was something that Tara Maclay just didn’t do. Anyone who’d noticed her would tell you that. So you had to figure that was a heck of a first impression.

Okay, so those ‘other things’ hadn’t in her wildest dreams included what had actually happened, but just stepping out the door to go find the girl had been a huge step for her.

Danger and stress may have given them a push on past on that laundry room floor but between the desire, the spiritual attraction, the magic and the simple fact that Willow was easily the best friend she’d ever had taken them the rest of the way. It couldn’t be that easy with anyone else.

But now she also recognised that Willow had changed her, a little. She should’ve been terrified of this. Unwilling to speak up, happy for Willow to do all the talking and be the little – unthreatening – girl. ‘Quiet but nice’ would’ve been the impression she wanted to make. If not both then either would’ve done.

Not now though. No, because Willow needed her to be strong. The woman she loved needed her to be an active part of this because Willow wasn’t sure she could do it on her own, let alone for both of them. And… miracle of miracles, she was willing and ready to do that. It’d always been easier for her to pick up the torch for someone else than to do it for herself.

So she reached over and rang the bell when Willow couldn’t.

And she wanted to make the right first impression.

Dressing the part had seemed important. It was the one thing Willow hadn’t fussed about, but – keeping it to herself – she’d been very careful in her selections. It wasn’t like she’d gone out and bought something to mislead the Rosenberg’s, all this ensemble was from her wardrobe, but the selection wasn’t quite as casual and thrown together as it might appear.

Gone were the boots. She liked them – a lot – but there was a certain stereotype to those Doc Martens and that was something she wanted to avoid. Also, she hadn’t worn jeans or pants. For one thing they were too casual and… No, skirts were the way to go. With a nice, conservative top. One that didn’t make her seem sexual, but not masculine either.

Least ways that was the theory.

Was that a betrayal of who she was? No, she didn’t think so. It wasn’t like she only wore the boots. Or that she was often wearing pants. Actually, she preferred skirts. So being careful not to give the wrong impression probably made it all okay.

And when the woman who’d clearly given Willow her red hair opened the door, she barely looked at her.

“Mom,” Willow said.

“Willow, you brought a friend?”

“Umm, yeah. This – this is Tara.” They glanced at each other than and she could tell that Willow didn’t have it in her right at that moment to finish off the sentence with ‘she’s my girlfriend.’

And that was fine. They’d talked about this. It was all part of the efficiency and de-stressing thing. Willow wanted to tell both her parents. Together rather than do it twice. And if one of them freaked then at least the other would be there.

Even unfamiliar-paranoid Willow hadn’t asked – openly – what would happen if both her parents freaked.

“Well, come in, come in both of you. It’s nice to meet you, Tara.”

They shook hands gently, which was a little weird but that was likely to be how things were going to be this evening. A little weird. She couldn’t see past ‘a little weird’ as the best case scenario here this evening. Because no matter how they took the news, it wouldn’t be fair to them to expect complete adjustment in an instant.

‘A little weird’ would probably have happened no matter who Willow brought home. It wasn’t about sexuality; it was about parents and their kids. Like back home. She’d never been afraid of telling Daddy she was gay, but introducing him to someone? Anyone? Yikes.

“And you, Mrs Rosenberg.”

“Sheila, please.”

Walking into the house, there were little touches already that suggested where Willow had got some of her taste. As well as the lack of it. But who was she to judge, she could only recognise when something seemed out of place.

“You might have said something, Willow. Luckily we’re having a roast but otherwise we’d not have had anything for the poor girl to eat.”

“Sorry, Mom,” Willow murmured.

Poor girl? She felt like the richest girl in the world right now. She had everything she wanted. Except for a way out of this situation that didn’t just involve fleeing and leaving things unsaid that should be said.

“So, Tara is it?”

“Yes. Ma – Sheila. Tara Maclay.”

“Maclay?” Mrs Rosenberg paused. “Willow, does she know the Maclays out of Shreveport?”

Tara, passed over in favour of Willow answering the question, looked to her girlfriend. Who looked to her, probably wanting an answer. Hoping for one. “No?” she guessed.

Did she know any Maclays out of Shreveport? Not personally but that didn’t mean that there weren’t any. Or that they weren’t related. But it wasn’t an uncommon name and kinda obvious where it could be traced back to.

“No,” Willow repeated and this time Sheila took notice of the denial.

“Oh well, probably better that you don’t.”

And what, exactly did that mean? More to the point what if she’d said ‘yes’? Mrs Rosenberg would probably have found something nice to say about them, or at least not bad. Not leaving it hanging that way. But just what was wrong with the Shreveport Maclays?

Good thing she wasn’t like Willow. That might be the sort of thing you could obsess about if you were so minded.

“And where’ve you been?” Mrs Rosenberg suddenly asked. Asked her?

“Umm.”

“She means me,” a male voice from behind her said, coming from the kitchen by the looks of things.

“This is my husband,” Mrs Rosenberg said. “Willow’s father.”

Like that part needed to be clarified?

Tara turned around and found herself face to face with a mountain of a man. Mountain enough of a man that you might well find yourself wondering how a mountain of a man like that could be the father of a cute little Willow?

It wasn’t that he was obese or anything, he was just… well built and well fed. The sort of man you could imagine in a checked shirt felling trees with a trusty old axe. And with the beard to match.

Except he was a tax accountant and – to the best of her limited knowledge – hadn’t been near a tree since he’d built Willow a house in one as a child. The place she’d first run away from ‘showing hers’. Tara happened to know the girl was less reluctant now. Neither of which points were suitable conversations for dinner this evening.

“Don’t worry,” he said. “I don’t bite. Ira Rosenberg.”

She realised that she had been staring. “Umm. T-Tara Maclay. I’m Willow’s - ”

“Friend,” he completed. “I heard.”

Actually, the word girlfriend had been about to slip from her lips. Not through any real intention, but rather because she was so used to calling her that internally and the size of Willow’s father had so caught her off guard that… yeah, it was good that he’d heard and interrupted her.

No matter what else she could do, she wasn’t the one who was supposed to out Willow. She was just here for the moral support. It would’ve been the first time she’d have said it to anyone else too, and that shouldn’t be an accident.

“Sit down, sit down,” Mrs Rosenberg fussed. “Ira, fetch us some drinks would you?”

“Yes, dear.”

They shared a look, she and Ira at that moment. Somehow she knew that he was very well aware how his wife might come over to other people. She’d seen some of the signs already and Willow had told her enough to fill in many of the blanks.

But she could also see that he loved the woman for all her faults, perhaps because of them. And who could say that they didn’t have any faults? Even Willow’s superhero friend was capable of being a little b-i-t-c-h to her, after all that they’d been through. Yes, you could love someone’s flaws as well as their great attractions.

It was a place she very much hoped she’d find herself with his daughter, once she really started to notice those flaws, once they got past what someone who’d experienced this before would probably call the ‘honeymoon period’. But how did you explain all that to them, Willow’s parents?

Given that she couldn’t come up with a good way to do so, it was a good job she didn’t have. Willow knew them so much better than she ever would. She’d find a way. It might be convoluted and go by way of more babbling than a brook, but Willow would find a way. If things were going badly though, she had some jokes prepared. Humour would always break the ice. Wouldn’t it?

“What would you like, Tara?” he asked.

“W-water would be fine.”

“No need to be nervous, dear,” his wife added.

“N-no, I’m not nervous.” Great, one of the first things out of her mouth to Willow’s parents was basically a lie. “I – I don’t always manage to speak clearly.”

She could almost see that titbit being filed away by Mrs Rosenberg. Perhaps wondering whether Willow had brought her here as a pity case or something?

Internally she chastised herself. This was hard enough without projecting all her own fears into her girlfriend’s parent’s assumptions about her.

“Well, don’t you worry about it. I can talk enough for all of us.”

“Ain’t that the truth,” Willow said under her breath. But not under her breath enough.

“Willow.”

“Sorry, Mom.”

“You’ll have to excuse my daughter, Tara,” Sheila instructed rather than asked. “I’m sure you must’ve noticed by now that Willow isn’t always the most tactful person when she thinks she’s not being overheard.”

The bang from the kitchen at that very moment might’ve suggested that someone else had an opinion on that general concept. It might even have suggested what that opinion was. Or it might even have been a coincidence. It seemed best to say nothing as the distraction caused Mrs Rosenberg to shout after her husband. “Ira, do be careful.”

“Yes, dear.”

“So, Willow, how do you and Tara know each other?”

Before either of them thought about replying they had to check with one another. It was something they were going to do a lot today, she could tell.

Checklist time. Willow had said that there was absolutely no way that they should mention – for any reason – the Wicca society. And not because of the stereotypes of what Wiccans might be when they got together – Tara still felt she was missing out on the naked dancing and hot witchy sex despite finding hot Willow sex. No, Willow was more worried about the prospect of her Mom flipping out on the witchy part itself.

Being burned at the stake wouldn’t be the way that she saw this afternoon going. Not at it’s best. And if there was a big pile of wood out in the yard then… well, she didn’t know what she’d do. Fleeing seemed entirely acceptable at that point – given the history – even if it did seem rude outside of that context. ‘I don’t think it’s likely,’ Willow had said. ‘But lets not take any chances.’

“Umm, we met at one of the societies on campus,” Willow explained.

“Oh, thank goodness. I thought perhaps – when you stayed here – that you’d just be hanging out with the same old people you did in High School. Willow could’ve gone to England, you know. Or Harvard. Yale wanted her, but we wouldn’t have stood for that, would we Ira?”

“No, dear.” Mr Maclay returned with the drinks on a tray.

“My husband went to Harvard, did you know that, Tara?”

Tara shook her head, unsure of what to say. Which was fine, because it didn’t seem she was expected to say much at all. Nodding in the appropriate place was probably good enough.

Except it wasn’t going to be that easy. “Did you have options, Tara?” Sheila asked.

“Op-options?” She nodded in thanks to Mr Rosenberg as he handed her the water.

“Before you settled on USC Sunnydale?”

Settled? “It has a good course, for me. I – I major in art history.”

Usually people asked her if she wanted to be an artist. Or work in a museum. Not Mrs Rosenberg. “What are you going to do with that?” It provided a very clear message about what she thought the value of ‘that’ was.

“I’m n-not sure,” Tara said. But when Sheila shook her head dismissively, as if she’d expected nothing more, she felt she just had to go further. This was a woman she wanted to have a good impression of her. Or at least not a bad one. Maybe it was new love talking – in that honeymoon period long may it continue - but she was thinking of a long future here and that meant being involved with Willow’s parents. “But either teaching, or possibly art restoration.”

It caught Sheila unawares, being presented with those two things. “You see, Willow. It is possible to have plans as well as options. Life would be simpler if you’d just pick something you want, like Tara.”

Once again her eyes met Willow’s green ones. “Something,” Willow said, “like Tara. I hear what you’re saying.”

Tara had to fight not to smile and ruin it. It was just so… if her Mom had a clue what she was saying…

“Teaching’s noble,” Sheila said, as if weighing the options. “But art restoration… Is there a lot of money in that?”

“If you’re good enough,” Tara told her.

“A niche market,” Ira added, coming to her defence. “There can’t be that many people out there.”

“And hundreds of years of artwork that’s been badly cared for.” It was turning over in Sheila’s mind before, finally, she seemed to decide that she approved. Approval equalled a degree of interest, clearly. “So is it just the ravages of time?”

“Some of that,” Tara told her. “I m-mean some of these paintings are very old. Some would’ve been vandalised.”

“We were watching a show, on art, weren’t we, Ira?” Sheila didn’t wait for her husband to answer. Not even with a grunt or a nod. “About how a few hundred years ago, people were painting over lady bits with fig leaves and the like.”

They’d been doing more than that, but it didn’t seem the time to mention things like breaking penis’ off statues or anything else. It wasn’t the kind of impression she was trying to create.

“And now we go wild if someone goes and shows a nipple before nine,” Willow said.

“Willow,” Sheila said, clearly taking a dim view of it. “That’s hardly appropriate. Then, or now. Now, where were we?”

“Fig leaves,” Tara hardly dared say but surprised herself by managing.

“Would that be what you were doing? Removing those falsifications? Touching up - ”

Willow exploded into coughs right then and Tara had to fight not to go there herself. “Sorry, sorry,” Willow said. “Juice, it went the wrong way. Sneeze too. Sneeze and the wrong way with the juice.”

“Just be more careful,” her Mom said.

“Yes, Mom.” Willow was still struggling, trying to cover up the laughter.

“You’d think we never taught her to do the simple things. Now, where - ”

“Tara might be a teacher instead,” Willow said, obviously not wanting the conversation to go there again. Not trusting herself to cope with the inadvertent innuendo.

“Yes, I heard her the first time, dear.”

“Leave the poor girl alone, Sheila,” Ira said as he took a seat next to his wife.

She and Willow were also sat next to each other but studiously keeping themselves a few inches apart and absolutely not making any inadvertent – or deliberate – physical contact. It felt weird because any time they were this close to each other… Well, there was contact involved. It probably looked weird too, since friends did actually do that touching thing but… Yeah, let Willow manage this in her own time.

“Can you blame me for curiosity about your new friend?”

“Mom!”

“Willow, hush. This is the first friend you’ve brought home in forever.”

“I brought - ”

“Bushy doesn’t count dear.”

This time it was she who had to avoid spurting out her water. Bushy?

Were they talking about the same person? Willow’s room mate? The one they called the Slayer? The Vampire Slayer? Bushy the vampire slayer?

“It’s Buffy, Mom.”

“Well, I knew it was something like that. Something with a B and a Y. Ridiculous name anyway in this day and age.”

Tara supposed that Willow could’ve thrown the whole burning at the stake thing back in her face at that point. An event in which Bushy, make that Buffy, had been involved. But… no. There was some sort of forgetfulness side effect to the spell going on, which was why it’d never been mentioned.

“It’s nice that you’ve met someone… nice. Normal.”

“Yes,” Willow said. “That’s Tara. Very, very nice.”

“And n-normal,” she added. Not wanting that term to be left behind. ‘Nice’ was a horrible thing to say about a person, but here and now there probably wasn’t much that they could say instead. But she was normal. She was just like everyone else. Except – along with some other women – she liked girls. This girl in particular.

Willow Rosenberg.

And that was very normal. If still unique since she had the only Willow Rosenberg around.

“You could do with some nice and normal in your life,” Sheila decided.

It wasn’t Willow that Tara was looking at when Mrs Rosenberg said that. By chance she happened to be looking in Mr Rosenberg’s direction. And his expression said… what?

-----------------------
Continued in post below
-----------------------

Chance in *Chance*

Last edited by Katharyn on Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Processing - A Family Outing Part 2 of 2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:40 pm 
23. Volumey Text

---------------------
Part 2 of 2
---------------------

----------------------

“Oh, Tara,” Willow said. “Baby, I thought I was going to choke.”

“I thought you were choking.”

“You could’ve helped me.”

“You said we weren’t to touch. Not until they know.”

Yeah, that had been the theory. To make the point. Go from not touching to touching at the moment that she’d given them the big news. Taking and holding Tara’s hand at the moment of revelation. A big part of the value of having her here. Mom and Dad might not hear the words but they’d have been able to see… Instead, well instead she’d nearly choked on her Mom’s ‘inadvertent innuendo’ as Tara had put it.

Repeatedly.

“Note for the future,” Willow said. “You can always save my life – no matter what.”

“N-noted. It was nice of them to invite me to dinner though,” Tara said.

Mom and Dad had left the room on separate missions, leaving her to ‘entertain’ Tara. Yeah, here on the couch. Just how might she and Tara entertain each other? The mind boggled, then it drifted to Tara touching up lady parts again. “My Mom said ‘touching up.’” She just had to giggle.

“She d-didn’t know what she was saying,” Tara pointed out. “Or she wouldn’t have.”

Willow could sense a logical argument coming. Damn this girl of hers, how dare she resort to logic at a time like this? Just whose prerogative was that anyway? “True.”

“Because you didn’t tell her yet. You didn’t tell either of them.”

“What are you two whispering about?” When her Mom came back into the room, Willow found that she automatically jerked away from Tara. That had appeared a little too conspiratorial. Maybe even a little suspicious.

Mom could guess… It wasn’t like she’d ever missed much, except the important things a mother was supposed to notice.

But wasn’t this an important thing?

And would it really be a bad thing for Mom to guess? Would it be so bad for her to figure it out herself and maybe even ask? Uncomfortable as that might be – and the language probably wouldn’t be very right on – it’d mean that the only word that needed to be spoken in reply was ‘Yes’?

Possibly ‘Yes, I’m gay.’

If she was feeling really good about how things were going then ‘Yes, I’m gay and Tara is my girlfriend and I love her. I’ve known it since the first time we met and the first time we made love on the floor of the laundry room when we were being chased by…’

No, that end part was waaay too much detail and technically a lie. They hadn’t made love then, no not at all. It’d been more urgent and needier than that. Primal fear and primal desire combined with the attraction they’d both felt when their eyes had met for the first time. Only after did love really come into it. And that was more than they needed to know. For her Mom the ‘knowing it since the first time we met’ was all that mattered.

So, would it be so bad if Mom figured it out?

How could she come out and say those words without being asked? ‘I’m gay and Tara is my girlfriend and I love her. I’ve known it since the first time we met.’ It was a really different thing. Not something you just came out and said, much as she might want to.

Maybe, she mused, I should just kiss the girl. Right here. That’d take all the questions away. Somehow she doubted she could’ve enjoyed that kiss, even with Tara. Not when it was just to make a point she didn’t know how to get to any other way.

“Nothing,” she said instead, going back to a separation of a few inches. “Girl stuff. You know? You do know, don’t you?”

“Believe it or not, Willow, before I was your mother I was also once known as a girl.”

And she’d seen the photo’s to prove it. Sheila Rosenberg hadn’t always been the woman she was today, or that Willow had known growing up. Once upon a time she’d been… actually kind of pretty. Which wasn’t a comment on how she looked now, but back then – when she and Dad had met – she’d been a looker. A definite catch.

Why no, inner self of mine, it wasn’t even slightly weird thinking that sort of thing about your Mom while being recently gay. Because it’s a simple aesthetic judgement and you need to stop being so sensitive about stuff like that. Just like you need to stop worrying about Tara having lost her Mom every time you mention family.

“I know.”

“And I had good friends back then too. Your Aunt Carol and I, we were thick as thieves.”

“Aunt Carol?” Who wasn’t actually an aunt, but Willow remembered from being much younger. She hadn’t exactly been around for a while.

“Absolutely. She and I… well, there were ‘hijinks.’ Don’t look at me like that, before I got married and became a Mom, I was capable of hijinks too.”

“It’s just not something I thought I’d hear you say,” Willow said, her mind racing at a hundred miles an hours. Just what did ‘hijinks’ mean? Were she and Tara in hijinks too? “Let alone, you know the jinking. High or not.”

“So now you know better,” Mom told her. “Now, where were we?”

“You’d just invited Tara to dinner,” she said happily. Okay, so her parents hadn’t actually gotten to understand that she and her girlfriend were well beyond hijinks – at least she thought they were but it was tough to tell without knowing what that actually meant - but that invitation felt like acceptance of her (girl)friend. It felt like a good sign.

After all, they could hardly turn on Tara now could they? She was now an invited guest. And good manners would mean that she was respected at least that much.

That was the biggest thing for her really, no matter what their reaction was and what they might say to her, she’d only be really mad if they did anything to make Tara feel unwelcome or if they blamed her for what was going to be revealed.

And it was going to be revealed. Somehow it was going to happen tonight. She wasn’t going through all this again. She was too much of a wimp about the worry to wimp out of the actual doing.

She was well aware that Tara had been worried too and she’d been reassuring her girl that Mom and Dad wouldn’t do that blame thing, or get mad with her. It’d be completely out of character. Okay, not completely but she was pretty sure… even if she really didn’t know what would happen.

It really wasn’t her fault. She hadn’t been able to practice or prepare, no matter how much roleplay she and Tara had tried. So shoot me, I’ve never admitted to being gay or well… anything before. Except a witch. And look how that turned out.

It was uncertainty that was driving her to distraction.

“And I’ve asked your father to set a place at the table.”

Not to mention making sure Tara had something to eat that she liked. Cue jokes about just what Tara had been eating recently.

Jokes or accusations.

It wasn’t like either of them had been going ‘hungry.’

But it was her Dad who was the chef, in a real food sense. Meals had always been late when she was growing up because Dad had been the one who came home from work and made an edible meal. Her Mom, who worked just the same hours, hadn’t really had the culinary knack to get beyond TV dinners.

Now it was Tara who was the better cook than she was. Good planning, huh? Rosenberg women were plainly just meant for doing the eating.

Note to self, save that line for when we’re at home.

“Now, how are your classes going?” Mom asked.

“Oh, you know. New things to learn. Shiny new learning. Actually, I kind of knew a lot of the stuff they’ve been teaching us, but I’m anticipating the new learning really soon and I’m taking electives in all new subjects. I have some professors who are – well, some of them are kind of flaky, but most of them are really engaging.”

“No, you know what I meant. Are you making your grades? These societies and your friends – your old friends – aren’t distracting you like they used to?”

“I always made my grades.” Even the day after you tried to burn me at the stake I aced a test. “And I still am.”

“And look where it left you,” Mom said. “I’m sorry Willow, especially for saying this in front of your friend, but you could’ve done so much more with your life.”

“Mom, it’s college. I’m yet to have my life.”

“Yes, it is college. Your gateway to that life. What you do now matters.”

Willow looked at Tara then, they were doing a lot of that. And yes, that was exactly how it’d proven. Her Mom was right. It did matter what she was doing now. And she didn’t even mean ‘doing’ Tara.

If home was where Tara was then Tara was also a big part of that life. Still a kind of secret part, still but a big part all the same. While she wasn’t sure that she’d ever let anyone else be her whole life the two of them together, that was something that her life could definitely be.

Willow and Tara.

No. Tara and Willow was better. It flowed better. That could be a life. And college had taken her there. It’d been a gateway. She just couldn’t believe that it’d turn out to be anything else. Okay, so they were new together and still feeling the romance but it didn’t feel like she was being smaltzy and overly romantic in her outlook. It was just that… Nothing else seemed right, which wasn’t how it had been at this stage in her only other real relationship. Something about that had always felt a little… forced. It’d seemed like work. This just… was.

“I-I’m not sure that it’d be too late, Mrs Rosenberg,” Tara said.

Willow sucked in a breath. What was Mom’s reaction going to be? She didn’t like to be argued with. People learned that about Sheila Rosenberg, it was the basis of her success in her life. It was just easier not to argue and she was right often enough that it didn’t matter either.

But not about this.

“College is about life, moving away and everything changing. I’m sure that for you, Tara, USC Sunnydale is quite the adventure and it is – after all – quite a good school. Some of its courses are – I’m told – outstanding. But - ”

“Sheila,” Dad said from the doorway.

If people learned not to argue with her Mom then very few heard her Dad speak in that tone, but anyone who knew him well knew what it meant. Mom had gone too far and he’d called her on it. She’d almost been insulting Tara and her choices.

In fact there hadn’t been very much ‘almost’ about it. And that was… Gosh, it was making her mad. “Yeah, Mom. That isn’t fair.”

“I’ll speak my mind in my own house,” Mom told them both. “We didn’t ever have this conversation, you just decided to stay here with those friends of yours. But while we’re paying for - ”

Willow didn’t need to look at Tara to know that her girlfriend had almost faded away. Yes, she’d tried to make an intervention and – depending how you read it – been kind of insulted in return. Now Tara had become irrelevant and it was all about her and her Mom. An old fight that they’d never had, rather than a new one she didn’t want.

“Tara,” Dad said. “Perhaps you’d like to come help me in the kitchen?”

They looked at each other one more time, shared a private moment. Willow hoped that her eyes said, ‘Yes, you get away. I’ll hold them here.’ She was ready to make the noble sacrifice.

Tara fled the room and Willow turned to her Mom.

Okay, you want the conversation. Let’s have the conversation. I’m not the same person who moved out a few months back. I have a girlfriend who gives me confidence and makes me feel good about myself. I’m doing well. I’m free of… this. And I’m gay. So, yeah. Let’s do this.

-----------------------

“A-are they always like that?”

“Willow’s not usually this outspoken but, they clash often enough in their own ways,” Ira told her as they retreated from the scene of what was likely to become quite the conflict. “Sometimes they don’t realise that’s what they’re doing, but they are. What can I say? They’re both red-heads. You must’ve noticed.”

Tara smiled. Yeah, she’d noticed the redness.

And while Willow’s Mom was… an experience, she found herself instinctively and immediately more at ease in her father’s company. Absolutely the reverse of her own family where she had fond memories of her Mom, but loving respect was the best she could come up with when she thought of her Dad. He’d done his best but it’d been hard for him once Mom had passed…

Nor had she made it easy for him. What with what they had to be afraid of and all.

“Is that it?” she asked. The man was likely to be a treasure trove of information on the girl she’d fallen for.

“No, I don’t suppose it’d matter what colour their hair was,” he replied. “They’re like the positive tips of two batteries. Put them together and they spark. Willow’s just as much to blame as Sheila. They’re too alike. It’s just that Willow’s always been a little… afraid of standing up for herself. But you two, I suppose you must be much more complimentary together? You can chop veggies and toss salad, if you like.”

Complimentary? Yeah, compared to what was happening in the living room – she supposed that they were. The veggies were all laid out ready for someone – her – to chop up and put in the large bowl. Yeah, so everything was laid out, whereas mostly you’d expect someone in their own kitchen to leave some stuff in cupboards, drawers and storage racks until they actually needed it.

Which said that maybe he’d always intended to bring her in here for a chat?

Or maybe he’d just known that Willow and her mother would ‘spark’ and prepared her the same exit he’d made? Thoughtful, if that was what it was.

“I g-guess we are,” Tara said as she started to slice tomato. “I mean, I don’t think we spark.”

“Perhaps not like that.”

Now what was that supposed to mean?

After the emphasis on that word she was definitely expecting more, that he’d continue the conversation, but he seemed quite content to turn his attention to preparing dessert while she worked on the salad. To the point where she wasn’t certain whether she was supposed to say something herself. Except that wasn’t what she did. She wasn’t the outgoing one who. Certainly not the one who popped around to do some magic spells and ended up having the best night of her life (to that point) on the floor of a laundry room while monsters patrolled outside. No, she certainly wasn’t that person. So… “Umm?”

“Yes, Tara?”

But she chickened out. What was she supposed to say? There was the thing Willow wanted her mother and father to understand, but that wasn’t her place to say it. Chances of that going well right now, with raised voices in the other room, were decreasing rapidly. Surely it’d be best to come back, try again when everyone had calmed down?

Okay, maybe not ‘best’ but a better choice.

She couldn’t do that – she couldn’t be the one to say something and take the choice away from Willow.

“How fine do you want the peppers?”

“Thin, please. In rings. Willow always liked them in rings.”

So yeah, she started to do as she was asked, filing that nugget away.

“Will they be okay?” She didn’t mean the peppers.

“They burn bright,” he said. “But it’s over quickly. They never seem to hold a grudge either.”

“Willow doesn’t have it in her,” she said confidently.

“You might be surprised, but they’ve been at this for years. Once Willow goes and does something that she feels good about then it’ll all have blown over and both of them will be in the right. Sheila wants Willow to do her best. Willow does her best but feels it’s never good enough. It’s her own sense of overachievement that makes her do it. Sheila doesn’t help, of course.”

“Why-why don’t you step in more?”

“I’m a man alone, in female territory,” he said, slipping into a sort of movie trailer voice that sounded a little ridiculous. “They’d turn and unite against me in a heartbeat. So this way is easier.”

Tara looked back at the door, wondering if this was a side of Willow that she’d missed. He was making more than one slightly dark reference to the woman she’d come to love in the last few weeks. Had she been blinded by that love? Was it just too bright?

“I’m joking,” he said. “Can I make an observation?”

“Y-yes.” It was his kitchen, his house, he could do whatever he liked – of course.

“Forgive me for saying it, Tara, but you’re not very good at this.”

“Wh-what?”

“Pretending that you’re just friends with my daughter.”

Oh, by the Goddess this couldn’t be happening. He knew.

“Umm.” Slice.

“So, I have another question,” he said.

Slice.

Slice then she put down the knife, not trusting herself after that last one had gotten a little close to the tip of her pinkie.

She turned to face him; this wasn’t a conversation for him to have with her back. He was holding a spoon, hardly threatening, and wearing that apron ‘Kiss the chef.’ Damn him if he couldn’t look even slightly intimidating and let her blame that for whatever might be said. He was going to ask her, he was just going to come right out with it and she was going to have to tell him the truth and that would…

This was Willow’s thing. It was Willow’s right and her privilege too.

Willow’s terrifying unknown to confront. Not that he sounded worried or agitated. Didn’t look it either. What to say? What to say?

“Umm.”

“Does she know you love her?”

Ohhh… He knew she was gay, but not Willow. That was much better. Wasn’t it? She was sure he was a man who could get the right answer when he added one plus one, but he didn’t have to actually add those numbers together. Not if he didn’t want to.

Not until Willow could say something to him. Do this properly.

“Umm.”

“I’ll take that as a yes,” he said. “What’s wrong? I can’t notice things?”

“Umm.” He was going to keep asking questions, she knew it. She could see it and even recognised that he had a little sympathy for her at this moment. It wasn’t going to stop him though.

Use your words Tara. Talk him out of this. Tell him that he needed to talk to Willow, or both of them if necessary. But she couldn’t be the one to tell him his daughter was…

“So you love her. Are you girlfriends?” he asked. “Or are you just a friend who happens to be a girl?”

“Mister Rosenberg - ”

“Ira.”

“Ira – P-Please. I c-can’t answer that question.”

“I think perhaps you just did, Tara.”

Yeah, he was deceptively observant and a good judge of what he was seeing. Why hadn’t Willow bothered to mention that?

Or maybe she’d never noticed that about her father. Tara kind of got the impression that might be the case. Ira worked away a lot and with personalities like Willow’s and her mothers sharing a house? Sparking off each other even if Willow had kept a reaction to that repressed for a long time. Yeah, it might be possible to miss just how in tune Ira really was.

“You can’t tell her – I mean, she wanted to do this. To tell you both. You can’t tell her that I told you. Especially - ”

The raised voices from the other room interrupted her. Seven words. Very distinct. She just looked at Ira in shock.

“I’m guessing that wasn’t in the plan?” he checked. She couldn’t even manage to shake her head before he went back into the combat zone without her.

He was brave too.

--------------------

“That wasn’t in the plan, sweetie,” Tara said.

Ya think?

At the moment she’d yelled ‘I’m gay and Tara is my girlfriend’ at her mother, her Dad had sprung into action and sent them to opposing corners. Literally.

“No…” Willow said in a tiny voice. Somehow it had just seemed – there didn’t seem to be anything else she could say right then. Mom had been going on and on about schools, when it was already too late to do anything about it and it was –

She’d met Tara at USC Sunnydale. Tara was staying there. Tara liked it there. Monsters and Hellmouth and all.

Why would she even think of transferring at the end of the year?

But without mentioning the love, without letting on about the gay thing what argument could she really make? Oz was gone, her Mom had at least known about him. Things with Buffy and the rest were okay but not great… From her Mom’s perspective why wouldn’t she think of transferring?

She absolutely hated that she understood where her Mom was coming from.

And that she might’ve just used one of the most important sentences of her life as a weapon. To hurt her Mom. Yeah, that was probably what she’d been intending when she said it. Not just to explain, but in the moment had she wanted it to hurt her and how did that cheapen the reality behind the words?

“At le – At least you didn’t apologise for it,” Tara said, hugging her tightly as they sat on her bed, up in her old room. And look at it… She’d been a kid when she lived here, just a few months ago. Now… Now she had a shiny, big-old-gay girlfriend with fairy lights strung around to cheer her room up.

Not many people had eaten pussy by fairy lights… It might even be a Sunnydale first. Maybe. Maybe she should’ve used that as her weapon?

Weapons shouldn’t have been necessary. Things were very different, and that was what Mom just hadn’t been getting. Things were different now, she was different. And the stuff they’d been fighting about? What had been the point of that?

“I kind of ruined the plan didn’t I?” she asked.

“Umm, I want to say ‘no’ to make you feel better but… yeah, you totally did.”

“You’ll always be honest with me, won’t you?” Willow asked while Tara was pushing her hair back and stroking her cheek.

“Unless you ask me not to be.”

“The plan,” Willow said. “I had it all worked out. Invite you here, get them to love you with everyone in a happy-go-lucky mood, you know? Then just ease it on in there, I’m gay. I eat of the golden pussy.”

Tara froze, just for a second. “You were going to say th-that?”

“Probably not that last part,” she admitted. It was just one of those things that popped into her head.

“And you think it’s golden?”

“More a statement about quality than descriptive,” Willow said, realising she was digging a hole for herself. “Not that I have anything to compare it to. Not that I want anything to compare it to but – Look, you are a natural blonde.”

Tara rolled those blue eyes, letting her tie herself in knots.

“You know,” Willow said, looking around her room again. “I don’t think that I ever even thought of the word ‘pussy’ in here before. Not till now. Certainly not – well, you know, that way. But I did think maybe we’d tell them that we have a cat. Because pets are a serious commitment and I want them to understand that we’re together, really together.”

“That’s not why we have Miss Kitty.”

“I know, it’s because she’s unbearably cute and we’re facilitators for her nip habit – some people would probably call us pushers – but it’s still a commitment.”

“She’s a cat, baby,” Tara told her. “She’d get on just fine without us. Apart from the nip thing. It’s more like she took us on.”

“Then our cat thinks we should be together,” Willow concluded. It seemed less of a clincher when she said it aloud. “Our nip-head, druggie cat.”

“Will?”

“Yes?”

“Will you, you know, listen for a moment?” Tara asked.

She nodded, waiting expectantly. Tara had come up with something and she just knew it was going to be… right. It was going to put things right, solve this problem. Fix her screw up.

“You d-don’t have to make this about me, or me and you. It’s just about you. You just came out to your Mom. And your Dad, and possibly people walking by the house. But, it’s about who you are. Your Dad seems pretty cool with it - ”

“You told him? First I mean?”

Tara’s look of embarrassment said ‘yes’ but she didn’t answer the question. Okay, fine, that wasn’t what they were talking about. “And your Mom, you were fighting with her. I don’t think you’ve really done that – not properly. Have you?”

“No. Not like that – we kind of let it all out…” Years of bottling it all up while she’d taken whatever her Mom had said to her, demanded of her? Well… yeah, it’d all come out now. When they clashed, it’d hardly ever turned into a screaming match.

Now it had and ruined everything.

“If she was mad, she was mad in the fight. You saying what you did – she might think you said it to hurt her, that’s not ideal. But you didn’t.”

“Didn’t I?” Willow wasn’t so certain. In fact she felt guilty because it seemed more like that had been what it was.

“No, because you don’t believe it’s a b-bad thing,” Tara said. “I know you don’t. So you did it to shock her. To change the subject or avoid whatever she was telling you. But you didn’t do it to hurt her, because you don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. It’d be the lamest weapon if you didn’t believe in it.”

“I’m known for lame,” Willow said.

“Not by me.”

“I did it to give her a reason there was no way I was transferring. I did it because I want to be with you and even if my Mom was right – which she’s not - you’re more than enough reason to stay right here.” There it was. That was her considered opinion. And if that helped her win the argument then, sure, she’d used one of the most important statements she’d probably make in her life for a frivolous purpose.

So shoot me, she thought. But Tara was right, maybe she couldn’t have meant it to hurt. She didn’t want it to have been that. And she didn’t want her Mom to think it had been. That was important too, because that went to what would think about her daughter’s gayness.

And her girlfriend.

“Would you leave?” Tara asked suddenly, “If I wasn’t here?”

“I don’t think so. I mean, it’s been tough since we go here. Everything’s changed. Oz would still have left. Bushy - Buffy and I… the others, that’s tough too. But I like the school. I like my TAs and professors. You, you’re just a bonus.”

Luckily Tara had learned to take jokes for what they were rather than instantly wondering whether every little thing was true and whether she was no more than froth on the coffee of life.

No, Tara was the coffee. More of a sweet Mocha. With all the extras. And those little marshmallows you had to pay extra for.

“So you’d already won the fight,” Tara said.

“I had?”

“I think so. You’re living your life, not hers.”

“And you’re in it,” Willow said, pulling Tara in for a quick kiss.

“What if your parents come in?” Tara asked, resisting her for just a moment.

“It’s just a kiss,” Willow told her, encouraging her to rejoin it. “But they learned to knock once they figured out that some of the databases I used to hack into were really… well, borderline illegal. If you were being technical about it. I really won?”

The kiss was her answer. It was long, it was deep and it was heartfelt. Less about desire or even affection than support and… being the same person. Together they were someone who could deal with all these things. Their strengths complimented each other so well that the weaknesses they had when they were apart melted away.

“We n-need to go down there and you need to apologise,” Tara said. “Besides, it’ll be dinner soon.”

“I thought we said that apologising was a bad thing?”

“You’re not apologising for that, you’re apologising for the fight and for her finding out that way. You’re going to be the mature young woman who knows her own heart, mind and body. The one who knows that this is the right school for her.”

“And you’re the right girl for me?”

Tara grinned. Compliments were one thing that she’d not learned to deal with. Perhaps because they’d come too rarely in her past for a few months to make up for it. “Let m-me worry about being the right girl.”

“Really?”

“I-I don’t want you to justify me. Let them like me because they like me, not because you tell them they should. They just have to accept who you are.”

“What if they can’t?” Willow asked. It was all sensible advice but…

“Then we worry about that later.”

“You’ll be with me.” It wasn’t a question, but Tara chose to answer it anyway.

“Always.”

They kissed again and then Tara drew her up off the bed. “I like it in here,” she said.

“It’s not who I am now,” Willow said. “I’m new and improved. Besides, I don’t need stuffed toys to snuggle with. Wait. That came out wrong.”

“Let’s go,” Tara said, offering her hand.

“Okay.”

Hesitating at the top of the stairs Tara had one more question for her though. “Golden pussy? Really? Did any of those cheerleaders have - ”

“No, sorry. Can’t stop. Gotta go see the folks,” Willow said, dodging it for now.

“Will!”

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Processing - New Part 01/01/11
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:07 am 
9. Gay Now

Yay for great double update-y goodness... I'm glad Willow's parents now know Tara is Willow's girlfriend... Yay for Ira knowing immediately that Tara was more than just Willow's friend... I'm still kinda worried about what Sheila's reaction is going to be...

Posting while nude improves your mood...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:23 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Hey, I still think this was completely LOL!

I dig how into each other the girls are and how sweet and honest they are with each other.

And hey, coming out to your parents rarely goes well. I had to do it 4 times before my mother finally 'got it.'

Also, I loved that you mentioned the distinction between saying 'I think I'm gay' and 'I am gay'. A horrible mistake I made on the first attempt, despite the fact I was very much trying to say I was a flaming homo and resulted in a lot of awkwardness and talks on being confused on your sexuality. Which I really wasn't.

Also, any reference to the 'Golden Pussy'...well...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:28 am 
23. Volumey Text

Hey Laragh - I think the term 'Golden Pussy' may have to return. Perhaps more than once... After all we never got to the bottom of it :)

Glad you thought it was chuckle-worthy though as I really don't want to be at all angsty in this kind-of-series.

Coming out... I was asked. I mean, I was pretty damn obvious because at that agetalking to my parents? Noooo! So I got it relatively easy compared to the stories that many people tell me now. At one point in the conversation (which still makes me cringe!) it got around to 'so are you ONLY into girls?' Through luck and honesty, rather than forethought, I gave an answer that left no wiggle room. After that? Never had a problem. So damn lucky with that.

I WISH I had used the term (in the story, not coming out) "Flaming homo". So great, but perhaps not very American. Or maybe it is!

Thanks so much.

[b]Zampsa[]/b] - Hey there, thanks so much for being first :) Ira... well, I think my portrayal of him from Sidestep bled into this story a little. He was such a sympathetic character there I couldn't make him any less so here even if canon would suggest it'd be a struggle for him. As for Sheila... well, I think she's one of those people who'll probably deny it to herself and keep trying to set Willow up with boys, even if face to face with Tara she'll be fine and a 'right on' kind of person. More about her own plans for grandchildren etc than anything else. I don't think we'll return to her much though. Ira perhaps though...

Thanks again.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:25 am 
4. Extra Flamey

ya, happy new year. I love this ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:42 pm 

First things first, my American vote--flaming homo would totally work! I think it's hilarious and I've definitely heard it before.

I too fell the vital investigation of the Golden Pussy must continue, we know how much Willow likes science, and science calls for research and repeat research to confirm validity of the initial results. :D

This chapter was wonderful in the heartfelt tension Willow is experiencing, and the loving support that Tara offers without taking Willow's burden. I absolutely LOVE your vision of Ira, I haven't read anything like it before and I find him both fascinating and charming. Please have more of his insight in the fic.

I will admit that I was a bit worried about Tara's concern over a "darker" side in Willow, I hope this isn't foretelling too much angst. :(

Wonderful work, I'm thrilled you'll be updating so regularly!

Happy New Year!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:30 am 
23. Volumey Text

LonelyTara - Alright then, flaming homo's are all go...

Golden Pussy too, apparently. I am not sure that counts as an 'idea' for a story though :) At least not without going down the smut path LOL

I kind of like Ira too, 'long suffering' is the word that comes to mind for him and that's made him into a different man than he might've been otherwise. I am toying with how I can bring him back but probably not in the next one just to get some variety in there.

As for 'Tara's concern' as you put it... (or I put it) umm, no angst in this story. I don't really want to get anywhere near Family which - though a great story - I don't particularly have any yearning to deal with cos - hello - not at all funny.

And I'm pleased you think 4-6 weeks is 'regular'... I remember 'regular' used to be every 3 days LOL. I have no idea how I did it either.

Thanks so much.

Edob - Thanks and happy new year to you too.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:47 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
Kathryn,

I love these, I've been lurking here a bit while following along, and I'm enjoying your take on these events. Then again I enjoyed The Sidestep Chronicles and your smut vignettes too.

I agree with you that Tara would have been out there but to shy to pursue someone until there was Willow. In the last installment when you have her thinking about yes, her father knows but would she actually introduce someone to him being an entirely different story as Willow is being Willow (i mean this in the sense of over thinking and well, over talking the situation), but now that she "has a Willow" the whole process for her would be different I think holds very true to her.

Looking forward to more of your particular takes on the behind the scenes things so to speak.

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:58 pm 
2. Floating Rose

wow very nice story !
Willow is quite a vixen leavin Tara like that !
golden pussy nice one !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:02 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

I still thought it was funny, if not laugh out loud funny. And yay for almost regular updates.

My heart and I have wandered aimlessly beneath the Weeping Willows, searching for the sun. - Hayley Westenra, "My heart and I"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:22 am 
23. Volumey Text

Promthea - Well, yeah it had some moments and if I wasn't happy with it I wouldn't have posted it. I just wanted to lower expectations :) Thanks

deviantART - Vixen-ish huh? Fair enough. I've been known to do that too LOL. I think you can always walk away leaving them wanting more, knowing that one way or another you'll be back :) Thanks

vampyregurl - Yay, lurker :) Did I do smut vignettes? Wow... Maybe I did, I don't remember LOL. If I wasn't playing in vaguely canon realms I think the counterpart of this last story would've been Tara introducing Willow to her father. But since I don't especially want to go to 'Family' I think I'll have to hold off from that, but it would've been interesting. I think Mr Maclay has bigger fish to fry than a gay daughter. The witchy side is all he's worried about. Also perhaps it would be 'theoretical' for him. As in, "okay, you're gay. But what dfference does that make? You never talk to anyone and in a couple of years you're coming home for good anyway"

And there's just no way to make that fun and not angsty... which is why I'll have to stay away from it!

Thanks,

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:31 am 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Processing - Words
Spoiler Warning: Why do I even include this so long after the show?
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens (This applies to all my W&T fic)
Summary: Tara and Willow talk about words. And appear to make one up that ended up in more common usage :)
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc, etc. I am making zilch from this series of stories. You know the drill. I don't know if Oprah copyrighted the word we'll get to here, but if she did don't sue me! I don't have any money worth having!
Rating: Caution for language but no actual smut. In fact if you don’t like ‘bad’ language or the idea of the girls (occasionally) using it then stay away.
Couples: Tara and Willow forever.
Notes: This story started out looking as if it would be something else. That explains the slightly ‘disconnected’ conversation that appears to start and then drifts off into something else. Well, you know what? That happens to me. I’m forever having a different conversation to the one I meant to so maybe the next one will be what they should’ve been talking about.
Words… Well this is – almost – a conversation that I did have with my dearest one. Different words, different stumbling blocks. But yeah, I had this conversation back in the beginning and for me, that qualifies as processing. And yes, come on… Give me ideas, ideas, ideas.
Thanks To: Those who demanded the return of the Golden Pussy. It’s back… Flaming Homo is planned for the next one I think. Not sure when Ira will drop back in, but definitely will.

Processing - Words

By

Katharyn Rosser

“Tara? Baby?”

Tara had been well aware of Willow’s presence, like… obviously. When there was that much magic, that much energy and that much hotness walking into a room, how could you miss it?

The only time she missed Willow was when she wasn’t there. “Hmm?”

“Tara?” Willow asked again.

Obviously she was expected to turn around and pay real attention. Well, okay… being as it was the woman she loved and Willow was a vision and all, maybe that’d be worth it. Maybe. “What c-can I do for you?”

“Oh no,” Willow said, pulling away just a little. “Last time you asked me that question we didn’t get out of bed all weekend.”

“Was that a bad thing?”

“We were supposed to be doing spells!”

She had to wonder where the bad side was? True, they’d planned a little magical experimentation, but they’d slipped into another sort of experimentation and decided that, yes, there was a definite advantage to mail order when it came to purchasing things that otherwise you’d never dare go pick out for yourself in a store. This Internet thing might really have legs.

After all you could get your hands on things that, with the right kind of experiments, they’d determined had some very practical uses. And Willow regretted not doing spells? Besides, they both knew what ‘spells’ really meant.

“D-didn’t we get everything we usually get out of doing spells?”

Willow considered, just for a moment. “Well yes, except the magical knowledge because – you know – wonderful as it was it wasn’t magical. I mean, it was magical because it was with you and you’re like super magical and special and wonderful but it wasn’t magical in the magical theory ooooh-I’m-a-witch kind of way that I really do have a very legitimate interest in and you know it’s never just been about the spells with you don’t you, baby?”

Finally, at the end, Willow drew a breath.

“I think you mean that it’s never just been about the stuff other than spells don’t you?” Tara asked. This far along in the story of them she was completely happy and secure about that fact.

“Umm, yeah. What you said.”

Which led her to a question she’d been asking herself recently, one of those annoying things that popped into her head and now wouldn’t go away.

“What d-do you think might’ve happened if I’d made it over to your place without those creatures - ”

“The Gentlemen?”

“Those. I mean without those things finding me?” The name didn’t seem appropriate to her and she’d never actually used it because of that. If Tara had a criticism of Willow it was that she was too accepting of the creatures-type things in the world.

And yeah, about that baby…

“Well, aside from the fact you turned up to someone else’s room first…”

“I wouldn’t have stopped there,” Tara promised. Willow had teased her about that enough.

“No matter who was in it?”

“No matter who.”

“What if she’d been a hottie?”

“She couldn’t have been hotter than you,” Tara said, marvelling that she could say these things. Oh, she might’ve thought that kind of conversation through in her head, crushing her body up against a pillow much as she pressed herself against Willow now – the red-headed woman of her dreams stood in front of her as she sat - nuzzling her face on Willow’s appropriately clothed belly.

“Tell me again how hot I am.”

“Hot as the sun.”

“That’s pretty hot.”

“That’s when you’ve just got up and all your hair’s mussed and you’ve got dried drool down your cheek and chin.”

Willow squealed, causing some alarm in Miss Kitty. “I do not drool. Take that back!”

“Willow, I love you. But you drool. You drool.”

“Well, I must’ve been dreaming of you. Drool-worthy gal-pal of mine. So I’m hot?”

Don’t always give her what she wants, not right away…

“And if I hadn’t got the right room then – Ow!” Tara jumped as Willow plucked Miss Kitty up out of her lap without warning.

“You hadn’t,” Willow pointed out.

“Then I’d have come and found you,” she finished.

“Even if there’d been a hottie in there, less hot than me obviously - ”

“Obviously.”

“And she’d been all virtually naked and just out of the shower and saying, ‘Oh, hello… I’ve just been thinking about girls and touching myself – What?”

“How do you think of all this stuff?” Tara asked, her look had silenced Willow or else that might’ve gone on for a few more seconds.

“Okay. Maybe, I was over sharing a touch. But the question stands, your honour.”

“Was this even what you wanted to ask me?” She felt she should check, Willow had definitely wanted to talk to her about something but this didn’t seem likely to be the thing. If there was a thing.

“No, but answer the question being as it’s out there. What would’ve happened?” Willow came and sat with her, actually more like over her. In her lap. At least she did cradle Miss Kitty who was understandably miffed about having her perfectly comfortable spot taken away from her.

Well, that was fine, Willow could put up with those young claws while the cat found herself another perfect spot. Except Willow too was making herself comfortable. Sitting across her, legs over hers and propped up against the edge of the couch. All accessible, warm and smelling so… mmm.

“In that case,” Tara said. “I’d direct her to the LGBT club and advise her to go out and find her own cute little redhead. But put her on notice that she definitely couldn’t have mine.”

“Yours huh?”

“All mine.” Tara enfolded Willow in her arms. Wrapped around her.

“I didn’t realise you were all like possessive-girl – Eek, Miss Kitty!”

“You said possessive, right?” Tara asked as she gently unhooked the feline from Willow’s top.

“Yeah, possessive. Not possessed. Because been there, totally not funny.”

“You’ll be able to laugh about it one day,” Tara said, setting about straightening the tag on Willow’s sweater. “Tag,” she explained. Probably unnecessarily because what else would it have been?

“Thanks. You okay like this?”

“You ain’t heavy,” Tara said. “You’re my girlfriend.”

Willow grinned. “You’re funny. How did you get so funny?”

“Really?” She really didn’t do funny, not much anyway. Momma had laughed at her jokes, once upon a time, but then she’d understood them. Donny had just laughed at her.

Daddy, he didn’t laugh all that much. Not after…

“Hilarious.”

“Methinks the lady doth exaggerate,” Tara said.

“Does exaggerate.”

“Huh?”

“Does exaggerate,” she repeated. “Not doth. Doth is something to do with hats. Or caps or… something. I’ve hung around an English guy and despite the fact that he really doesn’t speak like that, we think he probably should which is enough to make us pretty much the nearest thing to an expert that you’ll find in these parts.”

“Well, okay.”

“Oh, I’m sorry baby. I didn’t mean to spoil it. I mean, you know how I am.”

“I-I do know.”

“You’re not supposed to agree,” Willow said, but she couldn’t even find it in her to pretend to be angry about it.

All the woman managed to do was snuggle up and hold her tighter while Miss Kitty did her thing in her lap.

“You know I always agree with you,” Tara said.

“Oh no. You see, you don’t.”

“N-Nearly?” Tara offered, feeling that anything so absolute was way too bold and forward.

“Uh-uh.”

“I do!”

“No, love, you don’t. See you do that thing.”

“What thing?”

“That thing where you catch me out and you gently, you know, correct me. That sounds so kinky… that sounds like spanking or something. Correction.” Willow was actually blushing.

But they’d talked about that and pretty much… no.

“Anywho,” the girl in Tara’s lap said. “You do all this – You know way more than you admit to and you’re smart and fast and to be honest, Tara, the only thing that holds you back is how you think someone’s going to react if you don’t get the words out perfectly.”

Was that true?

Probably.

With Willow it didn’t matter whether she did or she didn’t. With Willow, she could take her own sweet time and even if it was a little hesitant still… Well, she had the knowledge that was the Tara Maclay that Willow had fallen for. The shy, nervous girl who was…

It felt like that Tara was going away. At least a little bit. But Willow Rosenberg – surely the hottest girl on a couch right now – had chosen her. Not once, but twice. That had to do a little something for a girl’s self-confidence now didn’t it?

Unless… what if Willow didn’t like new, confident Tara as much as the old one? “N-n-not necessarily.”

Damn it.

“Ow!” Willow yelped as Miss Kitty decided that it was time to get really comfortable and to make matters worse it was a woollen jumper that she was clambering all over again, this time before Tara could catch her.

“I’ll kiss any scratches better,” Tara promised.

Willow flicked at the little cat’s ears making them spasm, but tipped her head towards Tara. Peering at her. “There, you see?”

“Wh-what?”

“You did it again.”

“What?” What had she done? Made a promise she had every intention of keeping?

“You – you seem to hesitate more when you’re talking about you. When it’s about me, a promise to me or something, I think you really find whatever it is that lets you say anything you damn well please.”

“I… guess.” Was that how it was? Maybe it had been just that one time, but then it was just something that happened. If she’d spent all her time worrying about how the stammer made her sound, or when and why it happened, she’d never have managed to say boo to a goose.

Something that, unlike most people, she’d actually done back home. How many people could say that?

“What?”

“You smiled. And when you smile, not only is it dreadfully sexy - ”

“Dreadfully?”

“British man, I told you, but it’s also – just tell me what it was?” Willow demanded.

“I said ‘boo’ to a goose once.”

“Oh.”

“It seemed funny to me, because of how people always talk about doing that – except they haven’t but I have. It seemed… relevant?” Tara suggested, faltering more with every word.

“I said ‘good d-o-g’ once to a ‘w-e-r-e-w-o-l-f’,” Willow said.

“Why did you spell it out?”

“Miss Kitty,” Willow explained as if that said it all.

“Oh.”

Willow was worried about saying those words in front of the cat?

It seemed ridiculous but Miss Kitty was looking at her as if she was putting the spelling together. Puzzled and slightly suspicious, that about summed their pet up at this moment.

“And it wasn’t either of the werewolves that you might be thinking about – Oww! See! See, I told you – she knows. Our cat has this… thing. She knows.”

Tara plucked Miss Kitty up from Willow’s stomach and gently extricated her from the wool threads that threatened to pull on the sweater for a second time.

“Oh, did the nasty girl shoo you away?” Willow asked the cat.

“Nasty? You’re the one who was getting spiked.”

“Yeah, but now you’ve moved her I get to be on her side. You love that I’m weird, right?”

Tara leaned forward, kissed her girl. “Yes, I love that you’re weird. But that wasn’t weird that was like… taking sides. Making it an us and them thing.”

“Uhuh, except you’re them and Miss Kitty and I are us.”

“How come you get to be ‘us’?”

“Because you’re the sensible, hot chick. And I’m the weird one with the kitty fixation and a bag full of nip. I’m thinking of going full on hippy.”

Tara wasn’t sure that she should want to know, or ask, but… of course she had to. “Hippy?”

Willow paused, thought about it. “Well, providing the drugs for recreational purposes and not charging her for them? Sounds kind of hippy-ish.”

“I don’t think that’s the definition of hippy, baby.”

“I believe in free love too,” Willow offered, tugging at the neck of Tara’s sweater and peering down there.

“Umm.” While she was pretty sure she understood what Willow meant, when you thought about what that really meant… no. Her Willow wasn’t being free with her love. Not with anyone else. So she said so.

“Free at the point of use. Free to you,” Willow corrected in a hurry. “Very expensive to anyone else in fact… there’s not enough money in the world for anyone else. I believe in prohibitively expensive love, free recreational drugs for cats and special perks for girlfriends.”

“My free love is a perk?” Tara wondered.

“It is from where I’m sitting. And sometimes where I’m sitting is on your face!”

“Willow!”

“What?” A little embarrassed, she seemed to realise that perhaps she’d gone a little too far. “It’s true, sometimes… well, Tuesday night. On. Your. Face.”

“Yeah, but you don’t have to be so… Really? A perk?” Tara asked. She wasn’t sure she wanted to be the perk in this metaphor. A perk seemed like something you could do without and even in one of Willow’s ill-thought out rambles around being wonderful, that was blatantly unacceptable.

“Perky? Willow tried again.

“Ah.”

“Perky. Good. We like perky?”

Tara nodded.

“Perky’s good then,” Willow corrected. “And one day, when things aren’t quite as perky as they might be now, then it’ll still be good.”

“I’m n-not anticipating being anything other than perky for a while,” Tara joked, but not too loud.

“Tara Maclay, did you just claim perkiness for yourself?”

She nodded again.

“Good. Officially approved word. Perky. Lower rating of approval, ‘perk.’ Also good, for bonus points is ‘pert.’”

“You rate words?”

Willow hesitated. “It’s another of my things,” she said eventually. “I… file away the best words for future use in approved settings. No biggie.”

“Words like… ‘perky.’”

“And ‘pert’. I’m liking ‘pert’ right now. It’s very underappreciated.”

“I said it once,” Tara pointed out.

“But you said it! You said it, about me. More to the point you said it about these.” Willow cupped her own chest and gave them the momentary boost that she swore nothing but a corset had ever achieved.

And yes, Tara was kid of curious about the corset look but… no, she wasn’t about to ask. “Well, would it – would it be a bad thing if I said I’d meant perky?”

“But you said pert,” Willow moaned.

“They were definitely being perky at the time,” she pointed out. Willow liked compliments; she especially liked compliments that used words that didn’t slip into normal, every day speech. This was something she knew. She should’ve just let ‘pert’ slide by unchallenged.

“Please, Tara… can’t you just leave me with ‘pert’?”

“You’re right, baby,” Tara said, willing to give her lover anything at all. Including a word. “You’re right. Pert it is.”

“Thank you.”

Tara’s reward was a long, lingering kiss. One that was long enough that Miss Kitty gave up on her objective of clambering aboard she and Willow again, mostly because she pushed the young cat away while their lips were locked.

“Now do you like pert?” Willow asked.

“I always liked pert,” Tara told her. It was impossible to avoid with Willow’s slim body. It just screamed ‘pert’ to her. “I just didn’t use the word.”

“Well, now you can. It’s on the approved list.”

“So there’s a real list?”

“On my laptop, yes there is.”

Of course there was. And where else would such a list be?

“Anything else on there I should know about?”

“Hmm, let me think. Love.”

“Good word.”

“Adore.”

“Also very good.”

“Cunnilingus.”

Tara pulled her face. “Really?”

“Well, duh! Why wouldn’t it be?”

“D-don’t get me wrong, I mean… yeah. I’m right there - ”

“You were when I was sat on your face. But what’s wrong with ‘cunnilingus’?”

Willow seemed to regard that ‘sat on your face’ thing as a personal milestone, a triumph. She was incredibly proud of it, but then it hadn’t been much different to any other time they’d… well, adopted that position. And there’d been a few of those by now.

“Oh, no,” Tara said. “This is one of those trick questions, where no matter what I answer it’s wrong.”

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“Where if I say that I don’t like it, you’ll tell everyone that I don’t like it and start teasing me about my lesbian qualifications or something. And if I say I do like it, then you’ll use the word everywhere, just because you can and because you like people to know you’re a big old dyke now.”

The smile said that she knew Willow too well and that was exactly what was in her mind.

“Tara. I’m sorry but it’s a simple question. What’s wrong with cunnilingus?”

She pushed a finger at Willow’s nose, right into that smug, beautiful face. “You – sometimes – you can be a bitch.”

“Your beautiful bitch. Now, answer me.”

Okay, she was going to be forced to do this? Well, that was fine. She could get through this. It was easy enough to pick a path. “Okay,” she said. “I think it’s an ugly word for a beautiful thing.”

Willow stopped dead, all teasing stopped. At least for a moment. “Wow.”

Tara took that to mean that she’d just hit the ball out of the park.

“Really?” Willow asked. “That’s how you feel about it?”

“Yeah… I mean, it’s so… I don’t know… clinical and guttural. Cunnilingus.” She deepened her voice. “Cunnilingus. What’s sexy about that word?”

Willow laughed at the funny voice, and the face she was probably pulling as she said it. A face, Tara hoped, she’d never pulled while she was actually doing it. “Well, when you say it like that, of course it’s not. You preferred have an alternative?”

“Isn’t ‘eating you out’ just fine?”

Willow was wise to the attempt to drop her in the same linguistic hole and see if she could dig and, instead, balanced on the edge of the pit. “Eating me out is wonderful. I’ll also accept ‘eating pussy’ and ‘rug munching.’”

Tara shook her head.

“No?” Willow asked.

“You can eat me out, you can eat my pussy. But no one is munching on my rug,” she said.

Oh, would she ever have had this conversation anywhere else? With anyone else? There was just no way that she’d dare let all this smutty language come out of her mouth. And… perhaps that was because of just where she liked to put her mouth in the service of this woman’s pleasures.

Maybe Willow was right.

“Okay, okay,” Willow said. “I can go with that. So long as, you know, the pussy eating is right up there I can let the rug go.”

“What else?” Tara asked, wondering if the language could get any more... choice.

“Well, it seems like we’re letting ‘pussy’ slide right on through,” Willow said, checking it off on her fingers. Which was both ironic and suggestive once she realised what she was doing and made a little more of it.

“It was cuter when you hadn’t noticed how you were doing that,” Tara commented. “Now that’s just - ”

“What you like.” It wasn’t a question either.

Not what she’d had in mind, but… yeah. “So… yeah, I enjoy… Well, I enjoy fingers.”

“Which is also a good word, in all its derivations. Fingers. Fingering. Finger-bang or finger-fuck?”

The way that Willow said the final word suggested the answer she was expecting. It was another of those words, those words that hadn’t been allowed at home, a word that her mother would never have said and yet… When Willow said it and at the right time, in the right mood… Oh, it just wasn’t fair that this woman of hers could open her up and see what was inside.

Wait, yeah, that was totally fair, but she’d been thinking about being so exposed… No, wait, also good. Letting Willow into her heart had let her into her mind too. She should stop this whole thing now. It was blatant and it was sexual. Well, so were they. At the right time. In the right mood.

And yes, when she was in that mood there were only two things that she wanted to do with Willow.

She wanted to love her. That was easy, it was a constant state already.

But the other…

She wanted to fuck her. She figured that if you were going to feel it, then you ought to be able to include it in your vocabulary.

“Fuck,” she said quietly.

“Pardon? I couldn’t quite hear you,” Willow, whose ear was only about two inches from her mouth said.

“Fuck,” she said a little more distinctly. “You can keep fuck on the list.”

“Ohhhh, Tara.” Willow shook her head, as if trying to clear her head. “Do you have any idea what it does for me when you talk dirty?”

“Some…”

“Here I am trying to have a perfectly nice conversation about vocabulary and you go and… turn me right on.”

With no false modesty, Tara could assert that turning Willow on was like flicking a light switch. Simple, when you knew how. Sometimes it happened without even trying… most times, in fact.

“Ditto,” she breathed, finding that her hands were wandering up and down the denim clad thigh of the woman she loved. All of their own accord.

“Now there’s a word that’s not very sexy,” Willow said. They were close, very close. Their breath as intertwined as their bodies. “Ditto.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll let you off.”

“Very kind of you.”

“I’m a very giving person,” Willow told her.

“I noticed that.”

“It’s just a gift.” Willow shrugged and settled into her a little more, moving her leg so that… yeah, so that it was just that little bit more sensuous. “Wish I’d worn a skirt.”

“This is okay,” Tara said.

“I’m in a giving mood, you know?” Willow asked, right out of nowhere. Well, not quite out of nowhere.

“Really?” That sounded suspiciously like a promise, as if an evening like this – a conversation like this – wouldn’t have seen them go from the couch to the bed and not just because they were getting sleepy.

“Absolutely.”

“Did you have some more words for me?” Tara asked, brushing her lips against Willow’s ear.

“Kiss.”

Tara did as she was told.

“Thanks, but I meant that was a word.”

“Oh. Okay. It’s a good one.”

“Lick.”

Tara did that too, but this time she already knew what it had been intended as.

“There’s better places for you to lick than that,” Willow said, as if she minded having that soft patch of skin under her ear licked. Which she certainly didn’t if past experience was anything to go by.

“Oh? And I thought you were in a giving mood?”

“I am, but the point still stands.”

“And you have more words I suppose? Words that made your list?” Tara had to ask. This game they were playing… Yes, she was enjoying it. But she’d be lying if she’d said that she didn’t welcome any opportunity to get another insight into that most wondrous of places – Willow’s mind.

So smart. So brilliant. So… weird.

“We already gave ‘pussy’ a seal of approval.”

“Who doesn’t like pussy?” Tara asked, scratching the back Miss Kitty’s head as she batted her head in approval too. “Even her.”

“Nipples,” Willow said. “Nips.”

“Both good.” Oh, the temptation just to reach up Willow’s sweater and…

“What’s your feeling about…” Willow didn’t ask the question, which ought to have given her a clue, but at that moment she just wanted Willow to say what she meant.

“What?”

“You know, the C word. Four letters. Sounds like something from sports. And also – strangely – something English people do on a river?

Tara winced once again.

“Sorry,” Willow said. “Strike that one.”

“It was on the list?”

“It had a question mark against it. I can’t decide.”

“Seriously?” Tara felt she had to ask. Who made a list like this and then – seriously – put words on there that they weren’t sure about? Put a question mark against them? Willow Rosenberg, that was who. She wouldn’t be surprised if there was some sort of scoring threshold too.

“I mean, obviously you don’t like it – I kind of knew that.”

“But you do?”

“At…”

Tara had a feeling that she knew what Willow was trying to say, or wanted to say but just couldn’t find the words to. “At the right time?”

“Yeah.”

“The right mood and moment?” she suggested, wondering what the questions revealed about her too.

“Mmm, yeah. Like – it’s harsh and a lot of people use it for really, really bad things. But it’s like – shouldn’t we be able to re-appropriate a word? Women, I mean? Shouldn’t we be able to take back a word and make it mean something for us?”

Tara let Willow continue, she wasn’t looking for an answer. She was looking for her to explain it.

“I’d never – I mean, I’d never say it in front of my Mom and Dad or well… anyone but you. And even then, I’d never just drop it into conversation – apart from now but that’s different – or say it while we were making love because, I don’t think it’s a word for that. But…”

“There’s a place it fits,” Tara concluded.

“You think so too?”

“I think I wouldn’t kick you out of bed if you used it in a sexy way,” she said. Willow could make reading a text book seem sexy, let alone a word that was as loaded as that one.

“But you’d never use it, would you?”

“No.”

“Neither will I. It didn’t make the list.”

“Okay,” Tara said easily. It really didn’t matter, because she couldn’t see it was going to make one iota of difference to anything they did in their life.

“So are we just going with ‘pussy’?” Willow asked. Once again Miss Kitty reacted. This was no ordinary cat. She already had vocabulary of her own.

“As a preferred word?”

“Yeah, I mean… two girls, it’s bound to come up more than it would otherwise.”

“Maybe,” Tara hedged, “but haven’t we got by until now?” Did Willow’s sense of order really demand that they had an approved term? It seemed kind of like… overkill.

“Words have power,” Willow said.

Tara couldn’t argue with that. “I’d be happy with ‘pussy’.’”

Willow giggled. “I noticed. Pussy is your preference.” That just tipped her over into outright laughter. “You – we’re pussy fans. Pussy aficionados.”

“Baby, calm down.”

“Pussy wranglers.”

“Huh?” Okay, she had to ask.

“Umm, don’t know, but it sounded good. And Miss Kitty’s all in favour. We could wrangle her even if we don’t want to do that with each other.”

“Wrangle though?”

“It’s a movie term, I think. Like you have a dog wrangler in one of those movies with - ” Miss Kitty hissed and stopped her. “Umm, a d-o-g wrangler in 101 Dalmatians.”

“That was a cartoon.”

“But they were so cute!”

“If it makes you feel better, and it’ll stop you upsetting Miss Kitty, you can wrangle my pussy,” Tara said with a sigh. Sometimes you just had to give up and make the tough sacrifices.

“Golden pussy,” Willow teased.

“Don’t start.”

“Golden years, oooh-huh-huh-huh-huh-huh.”

“Willow Rosenberg massacres David Bowie,” Tara commented. Yes, she’d throw a casual insult out there if it’d stop her girlfriend going on about that. “That’s off the list. Golden, doesn’t matter what it is. It’s off the list. Especially with the other word.”

“Golden,” Willow said, demanding and taking a kiss off her, “pussy.”

“No.”

“It’s right at the top of the list. The very top. In bold, italics and… yellow font.”

“You’re beautifully weird,” Tara told her.

“Thank you.”

“And a little obsessive.”

“A little?”

Tara showed her with her finger and thumb, “Just a little.”

“I really can’t say it?”

“I just…”

“But it’s true!”

“You don’t have to say everything that’s true,” Tara pointed out. “What if I – I mean, what if I said… red pubis?”

Silence reigned.

“Alright,” Tara conceded, “It really doesn’t have the – it doesn’t work, but I’m trying not to be crass.”

“What’s that? You think you’re classy?”

“I am classy; at least I don’t have potty mouth,” Tara said. They both knew where this was going to imminently lead. Words would fade away in importance and actions, emotions and desires were going to take over.

Even Miss Kitty could tell, since she abandoned the couch when she understood that she wasn’t the most important pussy in the room anymore. Not even the second. And yeah, that made her smile.

“What was that?”

“I was just thinking how Miss Kitty wasn’t the most important pussy in the room,” she admitted.

“And you say I have a potty mouth?” Willow challenged.

“You say the things I wouldn’t. But… I guess I can admit that you drive me to thinking those naughty thoughts.”

“Oh?”

“You’re in a giving mood, right?”

“Oh yes. But only for the right girl.”

“Who’s she then?”

“One,” Willow said, “with a top quality pussy. One might almost call it ‘golden.’”

“Okay, okay… you can keep it. You can keep it to us. You absolutely can’t tell anyone else. Ever. Or…”

“Or what?” Willow asked, all kinds of curious.

“Or I’ll shave it and then you won’t have a golden pussy, will you?” Ha!

“That’s pretty good,” Willow admitted.

“In your face.”

“I hope so,” Willow said, twisting and moving to straddle her rather than lie across her.

“I can pretty much guarantee it,” Tara told her.

“Now’s not the time to mention the quality, rather than purely descriptive aspect, right?”

“No,” Tara said, pulling her closer for another kiss. One that held more imminent promise than the last.

It wasn’t until they broke long enough for Willow to lift both their sweaters over their heads that another word was spoken. Naturally it had to come from Willow.

“You know what the world needs?” she asked.

Tara’s reply was – she knew – lost as she buried her face in Willow’s small breasts. It was meant to be. Willow was stroking her hair as she paid attention to those nipples, one after the other. Yeah, she approved of that word too. Nips.

Nips. Tits. Boobs. All of them.

“The world needs a word… just one. One that’s not clinical and not harsh. One that’s not got any connotations or history behind it.”

“For what?” Tara was forced to break long enough to ask.

“Pussy,” Willow replied, as if it was the most obvious one in the world.

“Vagina?” Wasn’t that good enough?

“Kind of clinical, but the right idea… How about… vajayjay?”

Tara was surprised enough at that to actually pull back, look into those eyes and wonder “What?”

“Vajayjay?”

“Uhuh. No way.”

“Why not?” Willow asked, that competitive streak coming out for a moment.

Tara resorted to moving her hands over Willow’s breasts, since her mouth was otherwise occupied. “It’s stupid. ‘Want to lick my vajayjay?’ You can’t say something like that!

“That’s not what it’s for,” Willow said. “I don’t think we’ll ever get rid of pussy for that. But I could see… I don’t know, maybe on a chat show. Maybe Oprah.”

“Uh-uh,” Tara said. “Never happen.”

“I could send it to her?” Willow said. “Give the gift of words.”

“”Give me what you promised,” Tara instructed. “And stop with your words.”

“Words don’t do you justice anyway.”

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Processing - New Part 01/23/11
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:39 am 
9. Gay Now

Yay for great update-y goodness... I really loved their word-play and how Miss Kitty doesn't like d-o-g word...

Posting while nude improves your mood...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:17 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

I love the idea that Willow invented vajayjay and Oprah basically stole it. Even if Willow was just sharing :p

I loved this chapter, it was all wordy and witty and just what I want and love about this series.

Quote:
“Okay,” she said. “I think it’s an ugly word for a beautiful thing.”

I've always thought that too. Why are the names of sex acts, any of them really, so ugly? Like, for things that give so much pleasure, they start off the names with such ickyness.

And hehe, poor Miss Kitty. Sometimes you just have to own not being the most important pussy in the room!

Great addition :)

:peace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:10 am 
23. Volumey Text

Zampsa - Thanks very much. I thought it was more impressive that Miss Kitty can spell w-e-r-e-w-o-l-f :)

Laragh - I have to say, I enjoyed this one from a comic point of view and it just went from one thing to another to another... fun, fun, fun :)

There's a fair bit of personal opinion in there too... mostly expressed through Tara. That line you pick on for one, though there are four letters words I will happily use at the appropriate moment in the appropriate mood LOL

Also, that 'most important pussy in the room' line, totally credited to my partner from when we hooked up and her cat had to make way for me :)

Thanks!

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:32 am 

Yay, Your back :party .. Sometimes, I think Willow needs to turn her brain off. Except then...I guess she would'nt be Willow :blush . I know the Willster is 'big knowledge girl' and all. But, How could anyone complain about a weekend worth of 'spells' with that blue eyed goddess known as Tara Maclay?...again with the turning off of the brain!!! I don't like that 'clinical' word either.. So, I'm with Tara. This was a highly entertaining update. I laughed and laughed and laughed some more. It was more than worth the (Dreadful) wait ;-) .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:42 pm 

:wtkiss :wtkiss :wtkiss
Wonderful exchange. Oh to be the little, mischievous pussy watching that exchange. I meant Miss Kitty of course, ;)

Delightful little moment in time. I love Tara's threat to shave if Willow tells about the secret loving lovely nickname. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next