The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bed Time Story Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:55 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:57 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great update.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:16 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Last night was apparently my turn to write a bedtime story, so here goes nothing

Green Eyes (Part 1)

The shadows of the trees around the clearing were getting longer and longer as the last few rays of the setting sun flickered and died.

Julia: yay
Stephanie: shh
Rachel: O-O

The young blonde girl sitting in the middle of te clearing was not aware of the beauty around her. Although she had seen this sunset a hundred times before, today, she was only concentrating inwards.

Rachel: sunsets are very pretty
Stephanie: poor Tara

After all, this was the first time since the death of her mother she was mercifuly alone. These days had been the worst of her live, but only today she had been able to properly grieve. Tara was quite aware that she should have been home a long time ago to make dinner, but ever since she arrived here this afternoon, she was rooted to the same spot, crying her eyes out.

Julia: oy
Stephanie: i would go to sleep there
Julia: *hugs yours*

Now as the light finaly went away, here eyes were dry, every last tear shed and here toughts turned to anger. She was angry at her father for treating her mother so badly, angry at her brother for not caring, angry at the world for being so cruel and, worst of all, angry at her mother for leaving her alone.

Julia: poor sweetheart

Tara did not know how long she had shouted her anger into the woods, cursing the world and the gods and godesses, lashing out in the only place where she had ever felt save in her live.

Julia: *thinks Chris is trying to make us cry ourselves out to sleep... ^^ *
Stephanie: me too
Rachel: I don't like being sad *sniff*
Julia: *holds yours*
Rachel: thanks juju

Suddenly, the woods went absolutely quiet, and an eire feeling washed across Tara. Looking around, Tara saw nothing in the dark, but the feeling became even stronger, now she could clearly feel magic at work.

Julia: *curiosity peeked*
Stephanie: ^^

Suddenly, she knew that someone was behind her. Not daring to look around, she asked quietly.

Rachel: *gulp*

"M-m-om, is is that you?"

Rachel: awww
Julia: *tightens her grip around her stuffed rats*
Stephanie: *snuggles into pillow and stuffed lamb*

"No, my child, I am not your mother." The voice was strange, at once feeling intimately familiar and eirely inhuman. "But I've come here to tell you that this is not the end, you will see her again."

Stephanie: ^.o
Rachel: o_o

Slowly, almost against her will, Tara turned around, looking for the source of the voice. Nothing. Then, suddenly, the clearing was filled with a blinding light emenating from a white figure.

Rachel: -_- bright light *covers eyes*

Tara couldn't say if the figure was human or not, because the only thing she could clearly see through the light were a pair of green eyes, sparkling like starlight.

Stephanie: ^^
Me: That sounds like the perfect point for a cliffhanger, wouldn't you say?
Julia: *mumbles sleepily, "spark!"...

Last edited by Elrad on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:02 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 1
dibsy dibs ^^

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:56 pm 
12. Recently Gay

DUN DUN DUN!

Who is this mysterious green eyed beauty?
Or what is she?!

Awesome cliffhanger Chris, I can't wait until the next instalment, I'll have my blanket and hot choclate at the ready!

Wishing Peace, light and love to everyone.
Tara: 'Can we just skip it? Can, can you just be kissing me now?'
Tara: 'I am you know' Willow: 'What?' Tara 'yours'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:45 pm 
3. Flaming O

Can't wait 'til you have the next one up, Chris. I'll be ready, and I promise to be nice to Ju. EVIL CLIFFHANGER! Have I told you lately that you're evil? *pout* Don't make us wait too long, Chris! Please!

"And I'm gonna Amen you all over again, 'cause I can't draw for shit!" - Laragh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:35 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great story and good cliffhanger.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:50 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Okay, so this one got told in the chat room when a half dozen other Kittens were present, so I've altered the format to include only the story bits. Hope the comments between lines aren't terribly missed! Like all my stories here, it is neither planned in advance nor betaed.

Adventures in Being Babysat (part 4)

Monday was nearly unbearable. Every time Tara walked with her friends between classes, she feared the inevitable run-in with with Willow. What were the odds, she wondered, of going the whole day without bumping into her? Willow could probably answer that. There was one close call. After social studies, Tara caught sight of a head of red hair bent over the water fountain further down the hallway. Luckily, Cordelia picked that exact moment to stop at her locker, and by the time she had retrieved her books, Willow was nowhere to be seen.

At lunch, she sat with her usual crowd. Whenever the conversation at the table lulled, she scanned the room for the girl, knowing they shared the same lunch period. There she was. Standing in line with that guy ... Xander. Xander Harris. Cordelia always cracked jokes about him, too, although Tara could never figure out why. He seemed like a likeable fellow. Hm. She was getting ... oh, no. Willow. Hot Fries and Jell-o? Tara shook her head. How could somebody live on a diet like that?

"TARA. Yoo hoo." She snapped her head around to find a table of faces giggling at her. Not Cordelia--she just looked confuesd.

"Sorry. Zoned out. What did you say?"

"Who is it?"

"Who is what?"

"She wants to know who you're staring at," Anya said. "Somebody in line?"

Hm. Well, as long as they're already making assumptions ... Tara turned back to watch the line. "Maybe."

"Oh my god. You can't do that!" Harmony insisted. "Who is it?"

"Is he in the front of the line, or the back?" Cordelia tried. Tara wouldn't play.

"Come on, Tara. Just a hint. Is he wearing jeans?"

"Tall? Short?"

"Can you tell which way she's looking?"

"You'll never guess," Tara said.

Anya stuck her head right next to Tara's and tried to sight along her gaze.

She sucked in a sharp breath, and her eyes widened. She cupped her hands to Tara's ear and whispered, "it's not *Xander,* is it?*

Whoa ... that was way too close. Tara purposefully shifted her gaze to somebody further back in the line. "Even if it was, I wouldn't say one way or the other."

"WHO?!" Cordelia demanded.

"It might be Xander," Anya shared.

"Xander?! You're not serious."

"I didn't say it was Xander," Tara said, shrugging mildly. This was actually kind of fun.

Anya, clearly deciding her guess was spot-on, jumped to Tara's defense. "Well, you know, despite his ... clumsiness ... uh, nerdiness ... complete lack of taste ... and ... I mean ... he *is* kind of cute."

"Cute?" Cordelia was dumbstruck. "We're talking about Xander Harris, here. He's a total dweeb."

"Right. With a killer body." She took a sip of her soda. "What? I'm just saying."

The stare-down was interrupted by the clatter of silverware and breaking glass. Everyone at the table turned their attention toward the lunch line, where Xander and Willow were both crouched, trying to mop up a mess on the floor.

Deep breath. Okay, Tare. This is your cue. Be brave. Here we go. Stand up. Ignore the weeks of taunting you might endure and potential ruination of your tentative social standing.

Tara Maclay remained rooted to her seat.

---

"Thanks for the ride," Tara told her brother as they pulled up to the curb of the Rosenberg residence after school.

"Yeah, no prob. Out out out," he demanded. She hopped quickly from the car, and barely had time to wave goodobye when he pulled away from the side of the road. Who really knew what Donny was up to this afternoon? Tara wasn't really interested in what he got up to with his friends.

She chuckled. Donny had been so excited when their parents had said he could use their car in case of emergencies. Since they'd left, he truly redefined the term "emergency."

It felt strange, letting herself into a house that wasn't her own, but the Rosenbergs had insisted that they come right in while they were guests.

She got her homework out of the way early. It was funny; she always would leave it til the last minute, when she was home. But here, it seemed as good a way to pass the time as any. At least while Willow was away. Hm, what club was Willow at today? Were those things any fun? With Willow there, they probably would be. Tara was in the middle of wondering whether she could get away with attending one of the after-school clubs unnoticed when she heard the front door bang open.

Voices floated up the stairs. A Willowy voice.

Tara hurried to the top of the stairs, and when Willow rounded the corner, she paused at the bottom.

"... Hey," said Tara.

"Hi," said Willow. She smiled. It looked forced.

Tara moved to the side when Willow dragged her bookbag up the stairs. Once at the top, the girl paused. "I have a new nickname," she announced.

"A new ... what?" Tara frowned.

"Jell-o."

Her frown increased. "That's not very original."

Willow slipped past her and entered her room. She dumped her pack unceremoniously.

Tara hovered just outside the doorway. "Can I ... ?"

Willow nodded, then busied herself gathering up rumpled clothing on the floor and depositing each article into a hamper.

Tara stepped in. "Willow, I'm sorry."

"You? For what?"

"For ... acting like we ... like we never ... I--I saw you at lunch, and I wanted to ..." She groaned. "I'm a total chicken," she finally said.

"You didn't do anything," Willow said.

"Exactly. I should have."

She shook her head. "No, that's not what I meant. I mean, you're not one of the ... jerks."

"... Yeah. I kind of am, Willow. I mean, even *Anya* stood up for Xander ... kind of. In a distinctly Anyaesque manner."

From somewhere lower in the house, Mrs. Rosenberg's shrill voice called out, "Willow? Would you come help pick up downstairs?'

"Yeah, mom. Just a sec," she called back.

She turned back to Tara. "Sorry, I've got to ..." She indicated the door.

Tara stepped closer and nudged Willow's chin higher. "I'm sorry," she said again.

Willow blinked. "Uh. You're forgiven?" Her eyes flicked to Tara's lips for a split second.

"Willow!" Mrs. Rosenberg demanded.

"Tomorrow will be better," Tara promised.

Willow gulped, her eyes now fixated on Tara's mouth. "Okay ... um, today's ... uhhh ... today is okay, too."

Tara averted her gaze. "I don't think I shou ..." The end of her statement was muffled by Willow's lips. She was at first too stunned to react, but then a thought shouldered its way into Tara's head. This was Willow. Willow lips. On hers. Opportunity. Passing. Don't waste.

"Willow? Can you hear me?"

Willow pulled away, her lower lip popping out from between Tara's. "Mom, I'll be right there!"

She looked apologetically at Tara. "Um, I should ... sorry." She wriggled out of her arms and moved to the door. "Do you want to ... after dinner, maybe ... um, play a game or something?"

Tara nodded.

---

"God, I'm *so sorry* you have to stay over there. What a crock," Cordelia sighed.

Tara paced slowly across the Rosenberg's back yard, her cell phone pressed to her ear.

"It was nice of them to let us stay here. I mean, they hardly know Donny and I, and our parents only play Bridge together."

"I still don't see why you couldn't stay at your place. Over-protective, much?"

Tara laughed. "Believe me, we tried. Yeah, it's silly. But honestly, it's not bad. They're nice."

"Do they all sit around the dinner table reading Trivial Pursuit cards or anything?"

"No, actually, aside from the night, when we had this nice formal dinner, we really haven't had a lot of sit-down meals. Both her parents work strange hours, I guess, and it's kind of an eat whatever, whenever thing."

"I've been walking up to that sandwich shop on the corner ... with Willow."

"Ah, Willow Rosenberg. Just another four days, Tare. Then you're free."

"Yeah ... uh, Cordy, I wanted to ask you something."

"Sure."

"D'ya think you guys are ... kind of mean to her?"

"To Willow? What do you mean? We don't even talk with her."

"We talk *about* her," Tara stressed.

A pause. "That's 'cause she's a weirdo, Tara."

"Isn't everyone, though? I mean, Harmony's got an unusually large collection of unicorns for a girl her age. Anya reads incest smut. You've got that weird thing with popping--"

"Okay, okay, I gett your point. Sheesh. Point is, Willow's not just weird. She's weird's entire royal family. She's got a framed and hung certificate of weirdness."

"Look, just ... *try* to be nice, will you?"

"Tare, come on, it's only four more days."

"Cordy..."

A sigh. "All right, but don't you go soft on us, Maclay." Her tone was teasing. That was good.

"One more thing ... you've got to apologize to her about the Jell-o thing."

---

Willow frowned. "How did you do that?"

"What?"

"You won again!"

"I'm good at Scrabble?"

"But ... but ... " Willow sputtered.

"One more game?" Tara asked innocently.

They drew tiles, and Willow was the first to play. She started shuffling tiles around on her rack, then gleefully flopped the word DECIDED down on the board. "Bingo!" she squealed.

Tara casually tacked an LY onto the end, hitting the triple word score.

"Well, crap," Willow pouted. She looked at her hand. "I've got too many vowels."

"Trade in?" Tara suggested.

"I don't wanna," Willow moped. "Can I trade you?"

"That's against the rules," Tara chuckled.

"Well, the rules are ... the rules are dumb. Got any esses?"

"Go fish."

"What about an R?"

"Mm. I *might* have an R."

"C'mon. I'll trade you a U for it?"

"I'm not sure that's a fair trade. How about two letters?"

"But ... but I need all my other ones ..."

"Oho!" Tara grinned. "So you admit that you've got another bingo with my R, huh? Well, missy, the price just got steeper."

"What about a blank? I'll trade you a blank." Willow held out a blank tile.

"Willow, that's just your U, upside-down."

She batted her eyelashes innocently. "Nuh uh. Is not."

"Tell you what. I'll take your sneaky U and give you my amazing R *if* you give me ... "

Willow listened intently.

"... one of those ice cream sandwiches you've got in the freezer."

"Deal!" Willow up and bolted from the room.

While she was gone, Tara spun Willow's rack around and peered at the letters.

She placed her R in the space vacated by the tile Willow had left with, and giggled.

"Nice word," she said when Willow returned, ice cream sandwich in hand.

"You peeked!"

Tara shrugged. "You left."

Willow handed her the sandwich, then proudly played her word on the board. "Areolae. Plus three for 'ad.'"

"All right. My turn." Tara played SMOOCH through the O.

"You *did* have an S!"

"How many points?"

Willow began tallying them, but Tara interrupted. "Hang on. New rule. From now on, either player can opt for their word instead of their word's point count."

"You mean, instead of getting the points for smooch, you get a smooch?"

Tara nodded. "Yup!"

Willow set the scorepad aside and leaned across the board to smooch Tara on the lips. "I like this rule." She rexamined her rack of letters in a whole new light. She looked from her rack to the board, then to Tara. "Uh, can I have that U back?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:13 pm 
3. Flaming O

*pout* the comments are very missed. but, that what you get when you tell a much loved bet time stories to a room full of 7 Kitties. and we did get a little over board. :blush but all's well that ends well. i hope you update soon (when Ju gets back, of course), and we'll try to behave ourselves. but i make no promises. ^^

"And I'm gonna Amen you all over again, 'cause I can't draw for shit!" - Laragh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:17 pm 
12. Recently Gay

Awesome fic Megan, and so cute!
You made me a very happy kitten to see some Willow and Tara smooching!
More!!!

Wishing Peace, light and love to everyone.
Tara: 'Can we just skip it? Can, can you just be kissing me now?'
Tara: 'I am you know' Willow: 'What?' Tara 'yours'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:27 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great fic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:37 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Had a whole bunch of Kittens up late in the chat room, so I thought I'd treat them to a bed time story. Like all my stories here, this is neither planned in advance nor betaed, so expect utter silliness. Enjoy!

Adventures in Being Babysat (part 5)

Chris: oooooh, *curles up with his blankets*
Steph: *curls up in rocking chair with fuzzy blanket*
Julia: *gets comfy beside Megan and hugs her blanket*
Megan: *opens storybook in her lap, and flips through the pages* Now let's see. Where were we ... ah! Here we go.

~*~

Mrs. Rosenberg shuffled down the hallway, flipping all the light switches down as she went. She paused at the front door to make sure the deadlock was set, then plodded up the stairs. How old she felt--climbing stairs got a little more difficult every year. Her legs protested the effort. When she reached the top she turned and frowned at the staircase. Maybe tomorrow she'd start that diet. Boy, did that thought sound familiar.

She poked her head into the hallway bathroom to double-check that the nightlight was plugged in. It was silly things like this, she knew, that kept Willow a child in her mind. She was all that Mrs. Rosenberg had, and she wasn't ready to admit that her daughter was growing up so quickly. The door to the guest bedroom was closed. From its far side she heard rhythmic, nasal snoring. She smiled to herself--most people would be kept awake by such raucous sounds, but to Sheila they were a lullaby. Her husband had always snored; she had trouble falling asleep without it.

She moved to Willow's door, which had been left ajar, and tapped lightly, twice. The door swung inward a few inches, and she heard a whispered voice. "Come in."

Tara was sitting up against the side of the bed, with a pillow behind her as a cushion. She watched Sheila enter over a book that she had lowered to her lap. Beside the girl a flashlight was balanced on its end, emiting a beam of light that reached to the ceiling. A foot away, in the center of the floor, Willow lay with her head on the other pillow. The comforter from her bed had been draped across her body. She was fast asleep.

Sheila chuckled at Willow's ability to sleep soundly under any conditions. She smiled at Tara. "I wondered where she'd gone off to," she said. "When she wakes, tell her I said goodnight?"

Tara nodded and examined the girl's sprawled out form. "I will," she said. "Goodnight."

"Sleep tight." Sheila crept from the room, returning the door to its prior position. She turned off the hall light and eased open the door to her own bedroom. When she crawled into bed, she nestled back against her husband. Not for the first time, she thought about how hard it would be for her when Willow headed off to college. Too soon to worry about such things, she knew, but all the same... Sheila closed her eyes and let the gurgling snores of Mr. Rosenberg lull her to sleep.

~*~

Downstairs, a grandfather clock chimed twelve low, even notes. That darned clock, Tara thought. She'd mentioned it to Willow, who had admitted that she was so used to it she never noticed it. She had promised Tara that after a couple nights, it would fade into the background. It hadn't, yet. Tara stretched her neck by rolling her head side to side, then shut her book and pushed it closer to her bags.

She inched closer to Willow and sat beside her. In the dim light she could see Willow's eyes twitching under her closed lids. Tara wondered what she might be dreaming. She was asleep on her stomach. One of her arms was bent so that it was tucked under Willow's pillow; the other stuck awkwardly out to the side. Below the shoulders she disappeared under the blanket, but at the other side of it her socked poked out a
couple inches.

Tara crawled over to her bags and rummaged through them for a change of clothes. She tiptoed to the door to close it, then sat on the bed and shimmied out of her jeans. She had her tee shirt partway over her head when she heard Willow's voice. "Mm. Tara ..." She quickly tugged the shirt the rest of the way and held it in front of her, but a glance at Willow revealed only her back; Willow's head was still planted in the pillow and facing the other direction.

"... If you wait until October, there'll be twice as many for everybody," Willow advised.

Tara shook her head, giggling to herself. She slipped on a nightgown and crept back to Willow. "Why October, sweetie?" she asked.

Willow muttered something unintelligible, and shifted under the blanket. Now only one sock poked out. "Melloween."

Tara couldn't help herself. She reached out and, using the tip of one finger, brushed the lightest of touches on Willow's cheek. "Halloween?"

Willow slid her free hand to her face and rubbed her nose. Tara swallowed her laughter. "What happens on Halloween?" she pressed.

Willow mumbled, "Kisses."

Tara lifted one corner of the blanket and scooched underneath so that the was right beside Willow. She tickled the wisps of hair at top of the girl's neck. Again, Willow's hand brushed her nose. "You mean like Hershey's Kisses?" Tara brushed Willow's hair away from her neck and pressed her lips to the spot her fingers had danced upon. "These kisses?"

Willow purred contently and rolled the rest of the way onto her side, and Tara tucked herself into the space to spoon Willow from behind. "Sweetie?"

"Mm," Willow grumbled. Tara slid her arm over the girl so that her hand rested just to the side of her tummy, and Willow's moved to cover it.

"Sweetie?" Tara tried again.

"Mm. Wha--?" Willow blinked and smacked her lips twice, then twisted her neck to look at Tara.

Aww, Tara thought, she looks so tired ... "You think maybe you can help me get you into bed?" Tara watched the look of confusion on Willow's face morph slowly into dawning comprehension. Yes, they were on the floor. Yes, it was uncomfortable.

"Moof. Kay," Willow mumbled. She rolled fully onto her stomach, dragging the blanket halfway off of Tara in the process, and managed to pull her knees under herself. She pushed herself up and literally crawled to the bed, wearing the blanket like a cloak. She bumped the flashlight over when she clambered up onto the bed, and it rolled in an arc, making shadows around the room lengthen and fall back in on themselves. With the light no longer reflecting from the ceiling, Willow disappeared into a dark lump of blankets.

Tara retrieved the pillows and the light, which she turned off, then felt her way toward the bed. She sat, first making sure she wasn't squishing any part of Willow, and patted her way up Willow's body until she found her head. This she lifted and tucked a pillow underneath. "You are entirely too adorable," she whispered to the darkness.

She sat beside Willow for ten minutes, letting her hands stroke her hair, her shoulders, and part of the blanket pile that felt like it was probably Willow's side. "You asleep?" she guessed. She got no response but deep, even breaths. Feeling daring, she traced further down the silhouette until she came to the curve of Willow's bottom. She cupped her hand and patted it affectionately. Still Willow slept.

Tara chuckled to herself. "Goodnight, Willow," she said. Luckily her eyes had adjusted to the darkness enough for Tara to pick her way to the door.

She way halfway out when she heard Willow mutter, "'Night, Tara."

~*~

Megan: *takes a break to get a cup of water*
Julia: *cuddles back beside Megan*
Rachel: oh right *gets comfy*
Chris: *cuddles besides Ju* Sleepy
Megan: All right. *takes a sip of water* Now, where were we? Ah, Tuesday ...

~*~

"Tara!"

Tara Maclay jumped at the loud voice behind her, and nearly smacked her head on the open locker door. She spun around. "Jesus, Cordy. Don't sneak up like that!"

"Guess whose only got *three* more days in the --" she noted Tara's arched eyebrow and finished lamely "-- uh, Rosenberg's house?"

"Yeah," Tara nodded. She finished stuffing her no longer needed texts into the locker and swung it shut. "I still don't see why you bother keeping a tally."

"*I* still don't see why we have to play nice," Cordelia grumbled. "Anyway, I've got another one. Can you guess who's going to the senior prom?"

Gee, what a stumper, Tara thought. "The seniors?" she guessed sarcastically.

Cordelia failed to notice it. "Annnnd yours truly." She fell into stride beside Tara as they walked to class. "Jeremy Dougan asked me this morning!"

"Jeremy Dougan? Isn't he dating what's-her-face?"

"Well, that's a long ... kind of weird story. Anyway, doesn't matter. Point is, prom. I need to get a second dress!"

"You can't just ... wear the same one?"

Cordelia actually stopped walking, she was so taken aback by the suggestion. "I ... I don't even know why I bother talking to you about these sorts of things." She shook her head. "So, anyway, I was kind of hoping ..."

" ... Yes?" Tara asked after a long pause.

"That you'd tell me who it is!"

Oh, jeez, not this again. The girls had been relentlessly pestering her about who she was interested in since they'd caught her staring. All but Anya, that is, who seemed convinced that her theory--Xander Harris--was right on the mark.

"Willow Rosenberg," Tara said.

Cordelia rolled her eyes. "Har har. Come on."

Tara merely shrugged and walked into her class, leaving Cordelia sputtering in the hallway.

"Fine!" she called after her. "Keep your little secret. I'll find out one way or another."

~*~

"Maybe she's just playing with us," Harmony said. "Maybe she just zoned out, and played along when we thought she was staring."

"No way," Cordelia insisted. "Come on, keep looking." They had a copy of last year's yearbook open on the table, and they were systematically going through each picture.

"Hey. What are you two doing?" Anya asked as she approached the lunch room table.

"Tara won't fess up," Cordelia said. "So we've resorted to process of elimination."

"Ah, gotcha. Well, it's not Xander. At least, if it is, *he* doesn't know anything about it."

Harmony looked up from the book and frowned. "How do you know?"

Anya pulled an apple out of a paper bag and took a large bite. "I asked him."

Clearly, the idea hadn't occured to Harmony. "Oh."

"I'm thinking about asking him to the prom," Anya said casually.

Cordelia coughed fitfully as some of her Diet Coke went down her windpipe. "What?!"

"Xander. I'm might ask Xander to the prom," Anya repeated.

"Has the entire world gone crazy? What the heck is going on?" Cordelia asked. "First I can't say anything about Rosenberg, now ... ew ..." She looked at Harmony. "Please tell me you're not secretly dating Jon Levinson."

Harmony's face screwed up at the mere mention of his name. "That's horrible," she said.

"Oh! There he is," Anya said, oblivious to Cordelia's outburst. She waved at Xander from across the room. He saw her, checked both sides and behind him, then looked back at her. "Me?" his hand gesture asked. "Be right back," said Anya. She slid back her chair and sashayed across the lunch room toward the young man.

Cordelia sighed and let her forehead fall to the table with a resounding thud. "Wake me when the nightmare's over," she said to Harmony.

~*~

Tara spied Willow coming out of the library a ways up the hall. The girl turned and was headed her way. They made brief eye contact, and Tara smiled, but Willow ducked her head and started to breeze right past her. "Hey ..." Tara began, swiveling to Willow's back. "Hey, wait."

Willow stilled and turned. She looked at Tara apologetically. "Sorry, I ... I don't know if ..."

Tara sneaked a peek at the clock further down the hallway. "Which class do you have now?" she asked.

"English."

Tara nodded toward the English wing. "Let's go; I've got time."

"Okay." Willow nodded, but didn't move. "You sure?"

"C'mon." Tara started walking, and Willow hustled to catch up. "Hey, I was thinking--you want to make dinner, tonight?"

"You mean, like, you and me? Cooking for ... ?"

"For your folks, yeah. And Donny," she added as an afterthought. "I usually cook one day a week at home. It's kind of fun."

"Yeah," Willow nodded. "Yeah, we could do that. I mean, I'm pretty sure mom won't mind." She smiled. "But I'll be home later, 'cause of chess club."

"Well, I sort of thought I might go with you," Tara offered. "Donny can pick us up, and we could swing by the grocery store afterward."

Willow was getting into the idea. "Okay! Uh, so ... do we have like recipes, or ..."

Tara shrugged. "Whatever looks good at the store," she said. Willow looked concerned, and Tara laughed. "The recipes are up here," she said, pointing to her head. "It'll be okay."

"All right ... if you say so." She didn't sound entirely convinced. Leave it to Willow to want step-by-step written instructions.

They stopped outside of the door to Willow's class. "So I'll see you two thirty?"

"Yup!" Willow nodded enthusiastically. "See you!" She disappeared into the classroom.

The bell rang loudly. "Crap," Tara said. She took off running down the hall.

~*~

"I thought they were horses."

"Well, they are. Knights *on* horses."

"And the horses can jump over other pieces?"

"Right. They can jump."

Tara nodded and stared at the board. The rules were beginning to make sense. "Can they jump over other horses?" she asked.

"Sure can!"

"Okay. Got it," Tara said.

Willow tapped a piece on the corner of the board. "And this last one's the rook, or the castle. It moves and captures in in straight lines. It can go as far as it can see."

Tara smiled. "I think I got them all."

"Great!" Willow moved a couple of pieces off the board. "Now, if there aren't any pieces between the King and a Rook, and neither of them has moved, *and* none of the squares in between are being threatened by an opposing piece ..."

While Willow talked, Tara's expression went from understanding to complete confusion. Luckily, Xander picked that moment to approach. "Whoa, whoa," he said. "Let's not jump into the deep end of the chess pool so soon, Will."

Willow frowned. "But Xander, castling is one of the most important --"

Tara looked at Xander pleadingly, and he put a hand on Willow's shoulder. "I know, I know, but how about we take it easy on the rookies, hm? Don't want to scare off new blood."

Willow reluctantly agreed, and they set the pieces back to their starting positions. "All right. Want to try a practice game?" she asked.

"Okay," Tara said uncertainly. "Who goes ... oh, right. White. That's me."

They moved a few pieces, and Willow discussed strategy, advantage and board position. She mentioned a few Russian-sounding names that went right over Tara's head. Eventually, Willow took one of Tara's pieces. Tara looked forlornly at the pawn, which now sat off to the side of the board. She studied the remaining pieces on the board, then moved one of her pawns forward a square.

"You can take it back," Willow said.

"Take what back?"

Willow pointed at her own piece. "I took your pawn here, but you have the square covered by this knight." She pointed at that, too. "See? You can take my pawn right back."

Tara nodded. "I wanted to move this one."

"But it's a totally free piece. If you don't take it, I'll use it to capture again on my turn."

"That's okay," Tara said. "I can move the next one out of the way, right?"

Willow blinked. "I ... I think you're not grasping the whole idea, here. You need to take pieces or make sacrifices to gain better positioning on the board."

"But ... they're *your* pieces."

Willow opened her mouth to reply, then hesitated, then closed it again. "How 'bout we play something else?"

~*~

"All right, everyone. Let's wrap it up," said Mr. Weston, the teacher who ran the club. "Good job today, Max. Keep working on that end game."

"Just ... one ... more," Tara said. She tugged ever-so-slightly on one of the wooden pegs. Unfortunately, her precision faltered and the entire Jenga tower tumbled to the tabletop. "Crap."

Willow began gathering up the blocks and returning them to their box while Tara stood by the window where her cell phone had better reception. One quick phone call to her brother, then they walked together out of the room and toward the side entrance.

"Mom was really excited about not having to make dinner," Willow mentioned. They crossed a short span of grass before reaching the student parking lot, where they took a seat on a curb.

"Oh, I meant to ask. Do you guys ... is there anything we need to make sure we don't make? Like ..."

Willow chuckled. "No, we'll eat whatever. Everybody's pretty relaxed about the whole Jewish thing."

"Cool." There was a long silence. "You seemed kind of surprised when I said hi, earlier."

Willow grimaced. "Yeah. I ... I guess I wasn't really sure how ... y'know, how stuff was going to be, at school."

"Well, I kind of told Cordy to stop being such a jerk, but I don't know if it sank in."

Willow looked up. "Really? What'd she say?"

"Oh, nothing surprising. She's kind of been getting on my nerves, the last few days."

"I don't want things to get weird between you and your friends."

Tara shook her head. "No, I mean, it's not like *bad* or anything. I just get tired of ... of how being popular seems to go hand in hand with trampling other people. Doesn't really make sense. Why would people like somebody who's awful to others?" She noticed Willow smiling broadly, and asked, "What?"

She shrugged. "I'm really glad you got stuck with us. No, that sounds stupid. Of *course* I'm glad about that. I just mean ... I'm glad I get to find out who you actually *are*. 'Cause before ... you were just one of Cordelia's friends, you know?"

"I know what you mean," Tara said. "It's a lot different, spending time with somebody instead of just seeing them every once in a while at school. For example: I never would have expected you to be such a good kisser." She smirked.

Willow stuck out her tongue. "I never would have expected you to be such a brilliant Scrabble player."

"*I* never would have expected you to say such naughty things in your sleep," Tara replied casually.

Willow's eyes widened. "You're teasing, right?"

She laughed. "Yeah, don't worry. You do talk in your sleep though. Random stuff."

"Like what?"

"I don't remember it all. Something about October, then Halloween, but I think you were awake for some of it."

"Huh. Weird. I don't remember any of my dreams."

"You said my name," Tara recalled. "Before you started in on Halloween."

"Really?" Willow frowned. "I wish I could remember. Now I feel like I've been robbed of Tara dreams."

"Pssh, who needs dreams? I'm right here."

"Yeah, but maybe in my dreams I was kicking your butt at Scrabble." Willow smiled a Cheshire Cat smile.

Tara bumped Willow's hip with her own. "You goof."

~*~

Megan: Goodnight, moon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:42 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

dibs! you said "you goof" to me, an dthen tara says so to willow. I feel like it became a compliment! :-)

Haven't woken up properly.

YaY for the fic!!

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:40 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great fic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:31 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 2
I love this story. I really enjoyed watching it be created last night, and it did the trick to make me sleepy. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:01 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
W/T are so cute. Willow's trying not to push too hard (or at all = a little doormat) and Tara's really trying to connect with her and actually come out to her friends. Interesting that Cordelia completely blew off her honesty. I mean, I guess there's no way around that but still. I like the part where Tara's watching Willow sleep especially. Gosh, it's going to be hard for them when Tara goes back home.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:05 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

This is the continuation of my Bedtime Story. Unfortunately, due to the size of the katra of kittens in the chat, I couldn't put their comments in as well.

Green Eyes (Part 2)

Wh... Who.. Who are you. Wh.. What are you?" To say that Tara was confused would be an understatement. For one moment she had thought her mother had come back to her.

"Do not fear, child, I mean you no harm, Tara Maclay. As for who I am? I have a million names in a thousand different languages, but none of those would mean anything to you."

The voice was still inhuman, but Tara thought that she was seeing glimpses of a human, or at least something that looked like a human through all the light.

"Then... then, what are you doing here?" Tara was determined not to think of all the bad things in this world that would like nothing more than to ensnare a young witch, because somehow, she was beginning to trust this strange figure.

"I'm here," The figure replied "to tell you about your future, Tara Maclay. I'm here to tell you that you are needed."

"Needed?" Tara was so surprised that she forgot to stutter. "Whatever would you need me for, I'm not important."

The figure seemed to smile at her, and then uttered the words that had never ever crossed Tara's mind before.

"You are going to save the world, young one." Hearing this, Tara spent the next five minutes just staring at the light, her mind unable to form any kind of coherent thoughts.

"I think you have the wrong person, Ma'am" Was the first thing that came into her mind. She was certanly not that important.

"I'm positive, Tara Maclay, you will do many great things in the future, so many great things."

Normally, that would not really have convinced her, but the voice suddenly took on an air of pride. Pride in her accomplishments.

"But, how, why, when?" Suddenly, a thousand questions wanted to be asked at once. "How do you know?" Was the question that burned brightest in her mind.

"I can see the future, child"

"Then, how will I save the world?" Tara was still having trouble with the whole, Tara, Saviour of the Earth, thingy.

"I'm sorry, I can not tell you that. Mortals should not know their future. I can only tell you three things. First, you must leave your home, tonight. Second, you must travel to the Mouth of Hell in the Vale of Apollo. Third, we shall meet again, Tara."

Suddenly, the bright light vanished, and with it, every trace of the person talking to her. Tara shook her head once, then twice, but she could see no proof that the figure ever existed. I must have been dreaming, she thought and then she glanced at her watch and her heart stopped for a second.

Tara held her watch to her ear, and to her despair, it was still working normal. The only bad thing about that was that according to the watch, it was half past two in the morning.

Tara panicked, she had come to this clearing straight from school, which meant that she had forgotten to do the shopping, her homework and all of the chores.

Dad is going to kill me, she thought.

Then, reality set in, no, Dad wasn't going to kill her, if he did, who would do her job? No, instead, she was going to get the beating of her life, if she went back. If, I went back? What if, no, she couldn't, could she?

~*~

Tara slowly creeped towards the backdoor, trying not to awaken anyone inside the house. So far, she had managed to not alarm any dog in the village, and in only a few steps more, she would be able to open the door and get inside.

Carefully, she took the key out of her pocket and opened the door. Creaking, it reveald a pitch black hallway. Without turning the lights on, Tara crept through the dark house frantically trying to remember where she had put it.

Suddenly, Tara crashed into something heavy. A muffled cry came from her mouth and, a second later the loud sound of breaking china.
Damn, damn, damn, Tara thought while picking herself up from the floor.

Then, she could see lights, flashing to life on the floor above her and she could hear a loud voice shouting: "Who is there?"

Tara was rooted to the spot from fear, even though every fiber of her being told her to run, run fast and run hard. She could hear footsteps now, coming nearer, reaching the top of the stairs.

Now, Tara could see the distinct outline of a shotgun on the top of the stairs, pointing in her direction.

"Tara, Tara Maclay, what in gods name are you doing at this hour, young lady?"

"I-- a--a--, y-- you see- I I I want" Tara was stuttering harder than she ever had before in her life. Her thoughts flying all over the place.

"Child, is everything allright, did something happen to your father or Donny?" Tara could now see the face of Ms. Eriksson, staring at her with concern.

"N-- n-- No, they are all-allright, I, I mean, my mother .. she said."

Tara was still afraid, but then she saw that the old woman had put the shotgun away and was coming down the stairs.

Ms. Eriksson put a hand on Tara's shoulder and said, "Tara, take a deep breath, and then please tell me what was so important that you have to destroy my furniture so early in the morning"

Slowly, the tension ebbed from Tara. "My mom, she told me that she left something for me, I mean, she said she left it here."

Those were the last words her mother had spoken to her, when they were alone at the hospital.

"Yes, yes she did, but why on earth would you come for it at this time?" Ms Eriksson looked at Tara with confusion in here eyes, but then suddenly said, "It's your father, isn't it? You don't want to go home?"

~*~

Tara stood at the bus stop, waiting, and hoping that nobody had seen her and had told her father. She couldn't live with herself not that she actually was running away, if he caught up with her. She checked for what must have been the fiftyest time her meager possessions. Wallet with money, check. Backpack with a few clothes and a snack, both from Ms. Eriksson, check. The letter, check.

Then, Tara could hear the sound of freedom, or as it was more commonly known, the sound of a bus. A few minutes later, she was sitting in the back of the bus, now daring to hope that she might just get away from all this. Tara began to slowly relax as the bus drove away from the stop. She took out the letter her mother had left for her, and began to read again.

Dear Ms. Maclay, we wish to inform you, that you have been accepted into the University of California, Sunnydale.

Sunnydale, Sunnydale, it sounded familiar to Tara, but maybe that was because she had read the letter twenty times since Ms. Eriksson had given it to her. This wondeful pice of paper that would help her get away from her father forever. Slowly, Tara began to slip away, the exhaustion finally getting the best of her. Here she was, riding away to freedom. The last thing on her mind before she fell into a deep slumber, was the most brilliant pair of green eyes staring at her.

~*~

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:55 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Dibs! Oh no! You took out our comments! *cries* Oh well, great story :p You should have kept going

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:20 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great story.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:30 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Green Eyes story: Oooo. I'm intrigued. I thought that she was sneaking back into her own house and would definitely get beaten. I'm glad she was sneaking into her mother's house instead. I can't wait to hear what happens next.

Post subject: Re: Bed Time Story Thread (August 27,2009)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:03 pm 
8. Vixen

To change the subject after several of us were feeling ”out of sorts”, we decided to write a round robin story. The Authors are: Alex, Ducky, Elrad, Kat, Sena, and Star Catcher.

Once upon a time in a far off land, there lived two lovely maidens.
The two maidens were from different sides of the mountain, and were unaware of the other.One of the maiden's name was Tara and the other was Willow.

Now, one fine spring day, Willow was on her way up to the mountain lake. The redhead knew that by the blue lake there was an apple tree which gave the sweetest apples in the whole kingdom...

Under the tree was a girl reading a book. Willow had never seen such a beautiful being before.

Hesitantly, she slowly walked up to the girl, but Tara was so engrossed in her book that she didn't notice Willow.

She cleared her throat and said, "Excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt, but I just wanted to say Hello."

Tara looked up, seemingly startled at the presence of someone nearby. "U-um, ...hi?" She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear

"mm...Willow!", the redhead squeaked. Then she tried to compose herself and try it T-Tara. Nice to mee-et you Willow." she looked wide eyes at the girl, carefully closing her book and scooting over so the readhead could sit.
again. "Sorry...I meant. I'm Willow...my name is Willow. And you are..." "uhm

"uhm T-Tara. Nice to mee-et you Willow." she looked wide eyes at the girl,

"Hey Tara, nice to meet you", Willow sat down next to Tara "What are you reading?"

"umm...a..a book of poetry by Emily Dickenson. I love her poetry."

Willow smiled, grateful they had something in common. "I do, too." She could already tell they'd be friends.

And what are you-u doing here-e today Willow??"

Willow grinned and blushed slightly "uhm I wanted some apples..." Tara looked up to the three and its red sweet apples and muttered "Oh...d-do you want me t-to ..." "No! I mean, I came here for apples but i found something better" Willow eyes widened and she closed her mouth quickly, covering with her hand, blushing fureiously

Tara looked up at Willow with a perplexed look on her face. She didn't understand why Willow would say such a thing.

Willow opened and closed her mouth several times, looking like a fish in the process. Tara giggled, it was a very comical thing to see a redhead making fish faces. Not a sight most got to witness.

"Ah, I meant that sharing apples is twice as much fun as eating them alone." Willow somehow managed to find a somewhat reasonable explanation. "You do like apples, don't you, Tara?"

"Y-yes, yes I-I do Willow" the blonde answered. "This o-ones are the sweete-es of the kingdom, I-I heard Willow smiled, somewhat in relief, and stood up briefly to grab some the lower apples. Handing the one that seemed the juicer and most succulent to Tara and taking a bite of her own
Tara sighed as she bit in the apple, red and fresh and oh so sweet. She then saw that Willow wasn't eating her apple, but instead Willow was watching Tara eat.

Tara feared that she was making a big mess and wondered whether she had dropped some apple on herself. She looked down and saw that it was not the case. The girl was just looking at her

It was kinda creepy, actually; and kinda tingly, too. She didn't know why she felt this way. She wasn't used to it.

She wasn't used to people staring at her so intensely. Especially a beautiful redhead with those big green eyes like Willow. But she didn’t know Willow was mesmerized by her beauty, by the way her full lips closed around the apple and caressed the fruit.

Willow shook her head and stared at the lake biting into her apple too quickly and a small piece got stuck on her throat, making her cough hard and tear come to her eyes.

Willow sunk to her knees, still coughing, desperatly needing air, when a hand hit her back and the pice of apple became unstuck.

She looked up at the woman, thankful that she had saved her, but also feeling very much like a clutz.

Willow blushed almost as deep as her hair. Tara just giggled and raised her chin up to meet her level gaze. "You okay?" she asked, her voice timid and soft.

"Yeah...I'm okay Tara, thank you...You saved my life" Tara smiled again and said. "Dont wo-orry. I-I'm glad I co-ould help you"

They smiled at each other for a long moment before looking away blushing. Both slowly ate their apple in a content silence, stealing glances at each other every once in awhile and smiling when one caught the other.

"So, Tara, do you come here often?" Willow asked once she finished her apple, "You don't live in Kitopia, do you?"

"N...No.. I live on the other side of the mountain. We just moved there and I can't remember the name.

"Oh, I think I know that place! Smut, uh,Smutiopia, right?" Willow blushed again, not used to talking like that. "U-uh, actually, I think it's Smutopia. But you were very close." Tara half smiled.

"Were you ever in Smutopia Willow?" Tara asked loving to see that red blush on Willow's face. "NO! I mean...no, no. I..um..heard of it but I haven’t been there...ever..."

Tara smile got larger. "Well, you know someone there now. So you could come visit sometime" Willow`s blush had gotten worse at the full smile from Tara and now was going critical.

"Of course! I will go visit you!...uhm..you said you just moved here…”

"Yes. Ww.e just got here. You know, I've never been to Kitopia myself. Tara said, but i've heard the boys are more beautiful than those in Smutopia, that must be nice.

“I haven't really noticed they are just guys to me.” replied Willow

"O-oh." Tara said, glancing about.

There was a sudden awkwardness that hadn't been there before. And each girl felt slightly uncomfortable, not knowing what to say or do to break the ice.

'Why does it feels awkward now?' Willow thought. 'She asked me about the...oh...' "So...Tara...Do you live with your family? Of course you must live with your family, I mean not that you can’t live alone, a lot of people do that, but I imagine you live with them and now I’m babbling. People always say I do...sorry"

Tara laughed softly "Uhm.. yea I live with my parents and brother. Do you live with yours Willow?"

"No, Yes" Willow replied, "Well, actually, sort of, I mean, I do live at my parents house, but they are never there, they have so much to do, always working. What do your parents do?"

"My father is a shopkeeper and my brother is an apprentice to the cobbler. My mom just stays home and takes care of the rest of us. What do your parent’s do?”

"My parents are scroll-keepers. They work for the wizard of Dunham. That's why I don't see them much." Willow smiled half-heartedly. It was obvious she missed them. "Dunham?" Tara inquired. "That's far." Willow nodded. "It is."

"So you don’t spend much time with them? You don’t see them very often?" Tara asked feeling a little sad for her friend. After all, her parents loved her and her brother. Knowing that this kind and funny, 'and adorable' a voice said in her head, girl didn’t get to see them, or that they were too busy to spend time with her, made Tara feel really sad.

Willow gave a little sad smile "No, not really. They show up for holidays, uhm the most important one, most times." she frowned a little. "But I have great friends, I spend a lot of time with them"

Last edited by taranwillow4ever on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:31 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great fic.

Post subject: Re: Bed Time Story Thread (round robin continued)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:58 pm 
8. Vixen

"Ah, it must be great to have such good friends", Tara said "I left the few I had behind me thanks to the move."

Willow reached over and squeezed her hand on top of Tara's. "Now ya got me." Tara ducked her head underneath her long tresses. "And hey, I could introduce you to the gang if you wanted to......"

"I-I don't know...I'm not ve-ery good with ne-ew people" the blonde said from behind her hair

Willow grinned. "Is okay, they are very welcoming. Besides you ever so nice, they surely would love you

If you say so." At this moment, Tara wished that she could hide herself even deeper in her hair.

Tara was having difficulty thinking due to Willow's hand on her own. It felt so soft and warm.

So, uh. Do you go to school?" Willow asked trying to get the small talk going again. Tara lifted her face slightly, an inquerious look upon her face

"Yes...i..."but Tara trailed off, her mind still focused on the pools of green in front of her and the softness of the hand still lying on hers.

Willow`s eyes were sparkling and Tara felt herself getting lost in them, following the paths the colors made within the iris and the soft warmth luring her into a peaceful feeling.

"ra, Tara, are you allright, did I say something I shouldn't have, I'm sorry I'm sure you hate me now, I don't mean to say those things, it's just my brain it doesn't know when to spot." Willow was babbling while Tara stared into the green emeralds.

"It's all eyes..." Tara shook her head, " I mean it's all right. You didn't say anything wrong. I don't hate you, I promise."

Willow smiled ruefully. "Good, because I don't know what'd I'd do if you hated me." Tara reached up to stroke Willow's cheek softly, but thought better of it and layed her hand back down atop the redhead's.

Willow's head was spinning. The soft feel of Tara's skin against hers was driving her crazy. She wanted so bad to reach out and caress her golden hair, and her cheekbones and her lips... 'She's talking to me, dont stare, listen to her...'Willow thought trying to keep her mind away from her face and listen to her.

Not that it was actually working, the more Willow thought about not thinking it, the more she paid attention to the smallest details. From the jawline and cute ears to the delicate pinkish flush that covered her face.

Meanwhile, Tara was fighting her hands desire to stroke that flaming red hair and her hand holding Willow's had long become very moist.

‘pinkish flush’ thought Willow.’ Apples, I was here to get apples, apples are red, like her hair. I really like red…’

Willow, suddenly snapping out of it, took one short look at their hands and abruptly pulled back. She started to move away and get up. "I-I'm so, so sorry, Tara. I-I d-didn't mean to...."

"Wha-at? What are you tal-lking about Willow?" the blonde asked.

"Here I am, taking hostage your hand and starting at you like some nutty. I mean, I am totally..." Tara placed her index finger on Willow lips, trying to keep the flood of words from bursting out. " Is ok Wlllow, I was...uhm...l-looking too

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:23 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great update.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:13 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Back to the original! Here's part seven. Like all the stuff I post on this thread, this is improvised in the chat room, so it's very likely full of typos, gaping plot holes, glaring inconsistencies, and what have you. Nonetheless, I hope it is enjoyable.

An Imaginary Friend (Part 7)

The girls walked side by side along the edge of the road toward the cul-de-sac at its end. There, a small park claimed the far side of the circle. Several families from the neighborhood were taking advantage of the nice weather. Children ran amok on the playground while parents cooked hot dogs and burgers on a grill, chatted over the picnic tables, and enjoyed the beautiful, sunny weekend.

"Aw, crud," Willow bemoaned. "It's too crowded." Go figure. She had thought a picnic lunch was a great idea, but it seemed everyone else had had the same stroke of genius.

"Hey, don't worry, I'm sure there's room for two more," Tara reassured her.

"One more," Willow muttered. While she hadn't let it stop her from going out with Tara, the strange looks and wide berths she got from others for seemingly talking with herself were starting to wear her down. Luckily, she spied an open span of grass separated from the main picnic area by a row of low shrubbery. That would do nicely.

She spread out a thick patchwork blanket and secured one corner with the cooler she had been lugging. It wasn't windy, but you could never be too careful. She unzipped the top of the cooler while Tara tried to peek over her shoulder to see the food. "Hey, now," she giggled. She tried to block Tara's view.

"But Will, I'm *hungry*."

Willow laughed. "I didn't know you could get hungry," she said.

"Consider it a side effect of eating so many tasty things with you. Oo, is that fruit salad?" Tara leaned her head around Willow's side and made a quick grab for the edge of the cooler to tip it toward them. Chuckling, Willow gave up and moved out of the way.

Willow frowned. "Hey, so you know how other people see whatever it is they see that is different from what we see?"

Tara had opened one of the tupperware containers and popped a grape into her mouth, so she nodded and made a muffled noise of confirmation.

"Well, when you're stuffing your face do they see me eating all the food myself? Or do they see less food to begin with?"

Tara stopped chewing and narrowed her eyes. "Irs froot. Irs good frr 'oo!"

Willow wiggled her index finger threateningly and replied, "Oh, it's good for you." She aimed for Tara's belly and inched forward. "Obviously *very* good for you." Closer.

Tara's eyes widened and she scampered backward just before Willow lunged. "EEk! No!" She scrambled to her feet and wielded her fork defensively. "Back off, you! I've got cantaloupe and I'm not afraid to use it!"

The flung melon did little to slow Willow's advance, and they circled the blanket twice before Tara made a dash for edge of the shrubs. She managed to keep them between Willow and herself, and Willow soon retreated, not wanting the other families to see her running in circles around some bushes.

"You fight dirty," she groused when Tara edged closer to the blanket.

Tara rubbed a hand over her belly. "Anything to remain unprodded."

"Truce?" Willow offered.

Tara nodded and sat back down beside her. She returned the spilled fruit to its container.

After they finished eating, the girls took turns reading to each other from a book Willow had brought along. When it was Tara's turn to read, Willow would lie back with her head in Tara's lap, close her eyes, and enjoy the warmth of the sun on her face.

"He turned around and began down the pillar," Tara read. "This time he didn't curl up. He stretched out full length and looked straight into the eyes of each caterpillar. He marveled at the variety and beauty, amazed that he had never noticed before." To Willow, the words blurred and began running into each other, and soon her mind was filling in her own sentences and forming images unrelated to the story as she tumbled toward sleep. Only Tara's comment pulled her from it: "We have an audience."

Willow was about to be made to stand in front of her class to read a book report. No, wait, something about caterpillar pillars. No ... Her eyes fluttered open, and she looked up at Tara's face. It was at a funny angle. Too sunny. Right, Tara's lap. Reading. Picnic. Wait, audience?! Willow sat up, still disoriented. "Huh?"

Tara stabilized her and nodded toward the bushes. "Peeping child at two o'clock."

Sure enough, once Willow got her bearings she spied a boy watching them through a break in the line of shrubs. She recognized him at once. "That's him! That's the same kid from the restaurant."

"Mm hm." Tara didn't sound surprised.

Willow peered at her. "You know something, don't you?"

"Not really. Just ... it wouldn't surprise me if we kept running into each other. Like I said before, these things have a way of working out. Things get set in motion."

"Because you're supposed to be his guardian or whatever?"

"Guide," Tara corrected. "Being a Guardian is a lot more w--uh... not work, exactly. When it's something you love it's not work. But you spend a lot more time and attention on it. Guides just need to be there at certain important points in a person's life."

"And I'm supposed to have something to do with this too?"

"Yes."

The thought worried her, still. Willow didn't feel qualified to be involved with the plans of angels and the like. What if she didn't know what to do? What if she messed up? What if she accidentally zigged when she should have zagged, and caused heaven to crash. A tangent of her mind wondered what the core dump of that state would look like. She shook off the thought. On the other hand, she reasoned, if being a part of their plans meant that Tara got a pass from the higher ups to continue spending time here with her, she couldn't complain!

"Come on," Tara said, nudging her. She held out the book. "Your turn."

===

It was much easier to carry the cooler back to the house, and when she arrived Willow slung it onto the counter to wash that evening. Tara gave her a hug and thanked her for a lovely lunch, which made her swell with pride. Willow excused herself to use the bathroom, but when she passed through the study, Aunt Millie waylaid her.

"Ah, there you are," she said. "You've got a message on the machine."

"Oh, okay. Thanks."

How strange. Nobody left her messages. Her friends called from time to time, but it was never important enough to bother with a message. In Willow's experience, messages meant something urgent. And urgent meant something bad.

By the time she got back to the phone, she had worked herwelf into a state of coiled anxiety. She pushed play. It was a man's voice. "Hi, my name is Edward Fletcher. I'm trying to reach Willow Rosenberg. My wife and I are friends with the Richardsons--Paula and Greg? They said Willow used to babysit for them, and recommended her to us. We're looking for someone to sit for our son next Tuesday. He's eight years old. We live on Mayberry. If you're available, please give us a call. The number is ..."

Willow stared at the machine for several seconds after the man rattled off his phone number. Oh, boy, she thought, here we go ...

"You okay?" Tara asked from the doorway. Willow hadn't heard her enter.

For the briefest of moments, she considered clearing the messages and forgetting all about it. But no, that would never work. Not only was she certain they would find another way to get at her, but also she knew how upset it would make Tara. She sighed. "I think I'm going to be babysitting for that boy," she said.

Tara, clearly sensing her nerves, approached and folded her into a hug.

"I'm gonna explode heaven," Willow muttered.

Tara smooched the top of her head. "You'll do fine."

Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:42 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Oh, I'm so loving where this is going. So they're going to be the boy's guide together and now Willow (and Tara too) will be babysitting him. I bet he'll be thrilled when they show up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:50 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great update.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:20 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Here's the next (short) bit of Adventures. I'm sticking with the non-chatroom format from now on. Like all my stories here, it is neither planned in advance nor betaed.

Adventures in Being Babysat (part 6)

"Taste?"

Willow held out a wooden spoon and Tara nibbled at the end of it. "Mm, really good." For somebody so hesitant about her cooking ability, Willow seemed to be picking it up fast. That didn't surprise Tara; Willow struck her as the kind of person who could learn anything once she put her mind to it.

They had picked a simple meal--lasagna, garlic bread, salad--and they had sitting in the freezer ingredients for yoghurt parfaits for dessert. Now they just needed to time everything correctly for the arrival of Willow's parents. Once the stove was preheated they retreated to the living room to wait. Willow grabbed a newspaper off of the counter and together they read the comics and tackled the crossword puzzle. It was a tough one. Donny offered his assistance halfway through, and eventually the three of them were able to solve it, if you didn't count the two letters they guessed at the very end.

The meal went splendidly. They ate a tremendous amount of food, and Willow's parents thanked them all many times for making the meal. It was first time she hadn't felt like such an outsider, Tara realized. Mr. and Mrs. Rosenberg insisted on cleaning up after the meal since they hadn't needed to prepare it. This left the children to their own devices. Tara suggested that they go for a walk, which Donny immediately declined, leaving just the two of them.

Once outside, they crossed the back yard and began trekking through the woods behind the house. Willow led the way; she and Xander had explored the entire area, she told Tara, and she knew there was a really pretty brook a half mile in. Tara followed.

"Speaking of Xander," she mentioned, "have you heard about Anya?"

"Anya Jenkins?" Willow frowned at the name. Anya was one of Cordelia's entourage. While not as nasty as Cordy and Harmony, she could be equally brutal in her judgments. "What about her?"

"She told us she was going to ask Xander to prom. Cordy practically blew a gasket."

Willow gaped a moment. "Oh, she was joking, right?"

Tara shook her head. "No, I'm pretty sure she was serious. She thinks he's hot."

"But... that's... but... NO." Willow wasn't happy.

"What's wrong?"

"Those guys have been awful to us for years," Willow complained. "She's not allowed to just one day realize that Xander's amazing and start paying attention to him and flirting with him and asking him to prom ... and then of course HE'LL like her back 'cause he's ... well ... you know. A guy. And everything will change, and it's not fair!"

"Um, I'm not sure I follow. I mean, I get that it's weird for somebody to change their tune like that, but ... isn't is *good* that she likes him. As opposed to the other option?"

"Well ... yeah. Not being mean is good. But ... prom? What if he likes her back? What if he goes? What if he starts hanging out with Cordelia's bunch? What if --"

"What if he stops hanging out with you?"

"Well, it's a possibility," Willow reluctantly admitted.

"I doubt that will happen. Really, I have no idea how it's going to play out. Anya's pretty hard-headed. I get the feeling that Cordelia's in for some interesting times," Tara chuckled.

Willow released a long, slow breath. "But ... she *likes* him? That's ..."

Tara nudged her side. "That's pretty much what's going on here, isn't it?"

The words made Willow slow, and an odd look crossed her face--half realization, half confusion. "Well ... but it's different. I mean, we're ..."

Tara stopped and faced her, her eyebrows raised inquisitively.

"We're ..."

A playful grin formed on Tara's face.

"Well it's not like we're going to *prom*," Willow finally finished.

"Will you go to the prom with me?" Tara asked.

It took a second for Willow to register the question, and another second for her to comprehend that Tara was serious. "Okay ... I get your point," Willow said. "But we ... can we even *do* that?"

Tara sighed. "Honestly, I have no idea. But do you *want* to?"

"I ... it'd be scary," Willow admitted. "Lots of questions from people, and whether the school would even ..." She paused mid-sentence when she noticed Tara's expression. That's when she realized what Tara was really asking. Not about school or friends or anyone else. She was asking Willow about Tara.

Willow nodded. "I want you more than anyone else."

"I'm going to tell Cordelia."

Willow nodded again, and made the pact. "I'll tell Xander."

Thanks for reading!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:29 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... Willow's rant about Xander dating Anya was funny... I hope that School approves girl/girl couples in the prom... Cordelia sure is in for interesting times, two of her "Cordettes" are going to the prom with "losers". I hope she learns her lesson and stops being such a jerk...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:55 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Babysat - I like this. It's kind of nice that Anya/Xander will have Tara/Willow and vice versa for "coming out" to the socials. I mean Anya can break the "but they're geeks" barrier and then W/T can take some heat for not only that but being gay too. I'm glad that Willow finally clued that Tara was really asking. Very sweet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next