The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Highway To Hell (Updated 4/12)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:22 pm 
3. Flaming O

Summary
Summer of '75: Seventeen-year-old Willow Rosenberg is living the good life, traveling across the country with her stepfather and guardian, stuffy (but well-intentioned) anthropologist Rupert Giles. They're headed to California for new jobs, new homes and new lives.
Summer of '75: Nineteen-year-old Tara 'Tay' Maclay is living the fast life, making it on what she and her gang of motorcycle-riding hoodlums can steal. She's headed nowhere in particular, just as long as she can own the roads.
Summer of '75: A chance meeting in a diner parking lot... and things get a whole lot more interesting.

Rating - R for language, sexual themes, all that stuff
Disclaimer - Obviously I don't own the characters, and I'll go ahead and give a nod to that awesomely terrible old biker movie, Motorcycle Gang, for the inspiration. If you've seen that, don't worry; I just took the premise, not the ending.

Highway To Hell

“Hey! Hey, Grandpa! Help a girl out, won’t you?” Rupert Giles glanced towards the parking lot instinctively, brows furrowing in disgust as the blond girl leaning against the brick side of the diner made a kissy face at him, then kicked the thigh of the rough-looking young man squatting beside her when he snickered. “Aw, c’mon, Grandpa,” she called, seeing his curled lip. “You got some spare change, I bet!” Giles ignored her this time, and quickened his step. His ward was already inside, thank god, but it wouldn’t do to leave her alone in a place like this. Not that it was a dive, per se; he never would have stopped at an inordinately run-down restaurant, but the… the scenery was not hugely appealing, anyway, Giles noted, the raucous laughter of the girl and her ruffian friends ringing in his ears.

Inside the diner, Giles scanned the room quickly and then made his way to where his ward sat, wedged into a small booth with her back pressed against the wall so her legs could stretch out across the bench. Willow Rosenberg, her long red hair done in a tight, girlish braid, grinned up at him.

“What took you so long?” she asked as he lowered himself onto the opposite bench and picked up the small menu card.

“Just some soon-to-be delinquents,” Giles replied, distracted, as he perused the menu. “Do you suppose this, ah, ‘bacon rind ham’ is decent?” Willow wrinkled her nose.

“Bacon rind anything sounds disgusting. But really, don’t you people eat liver for breakfast? So bacon rind is nothing.”

“'We people'?” Giles asked, glancing at her. “The entire British population, you mean?”

“Of course,” Willow replied with a smugness only carried off by those between the ages of fourteen and twenty. Willow, at seventeen, was remarkably good at it. “Anyway, if you really want my opinion, stick with the eggs. You can’t go wrong with eggs.”

“I beg to differ,” Giles muttered, but when a woman with a checked apron and a bored stare ambled over… he ordered eggs.

“And I’ll have,” Willow began, snagging the menu from Giles’ hand across the table and eying it, “a cheese omelet and-” She broke off, head turning, as there came a sharp rapping on the window across the room. It was the blond girl’s friend, the one who’d been crouching; he plastered his face against the glass and called something, but it was too muffled to make out. The waitress rolled her eyes, and Giles coughed. The girl, at least, was nowhere to be seen.

“Sorry about the trash, honey,” the waitress said to Willow. “Those damn bikers think they own the place.”

“Bikers?” Willow asked, and Giles fought the urge to sink his head into his palms at the tell-tale spark of interest in her voice. The waitress shook her head.

“Packs of ‘em everywhere,” she sighed. “No-good kids won’t end up anywhere but jail. What’ll it be to drink?”

“Ah, juice,” Willow said, but she was looking over Giles’ shoulder towards the window. The boy was leaning against it now, his back pressed against the glass, and Willow looked back at the table with a disappointed shrug.

When the waitress was gone, Giles leaned forward with a frown.

“Don’t be getting any ideas, young lady,” he said intently, and Willow scrunched up her face in irritation.

“Don’t worry,” she said, a little sullen. “I couldn’t be a biker if I tried.”

“Too right,” he said smartly, and sat back. Giles had to admit, much as he adored the girl, he was getting a little weary of her mood swings. He hadn’t signed up for those. He hadn’t, in fact, signed up for her at all, but there you had it. At least there was only one more year before she was off to university, or finishing school, or wherever it was that teenaged girls went these days when they turned eighteen. At that thought, Giles mentally scoffed. Wherever normal teenaged girls went, anyway.

Their food came, and faster than he’d expected. Even more surprising, it was rather good.

“So how long until we reach California?” Giles swallowed, swigged down some coffee, and cleared his throat.

“I should think a day or two. We’ll be there by the end of the week.”

“That’s good,” Willow said, her good mood restored. She finished off her omelet and the last of her orange juice. “I’m getting tired of driving all day.”

“Funny you should say that,” Giles said blandly, “considering you’re not the one doing any of the driving.”

“Well, I could,” Willow countered, a sly note creeping into her tone. Giles scoffed out loud this time.

“I’m not letting you drive my car, you little hellion.”

“Then don’t complain about it,” Willow finished triumphantly, and Giles found he had no decent response. There was a long pause, and then Willow slid her feet off the bench. “Come on, let’s go. Let’s find a park or something. I want to walk around.” Sighing, Giles pushed his coffee cup away and lifted a hand.

“Check, please,” he called, and sat back to wait.

“I’ll wait outside,” Willow said, and before he could object she was gone.

…………

Willow felt like skipping. Not that she would, of course; she was seventeen, not seven. But it seemed like that sort of day. Despite Giles’ stuffiness and the long hours in his 1967 Impala, it was sunny and warm and Willow was just not the sort of girl to dwell in bad moods. After all, she reckoned as she made her way through the tables towards the diner door, she had it pretty good. Most girls her age were stuck in suburbia, living in the world of pleated skirts and piano lessons and lasagna. She got to travel around with the aging-but-interesting anthropology professor who had been married to her mother before the woman left not only Giles but Willow, and they were going to California!

Willow opened the door and stepped out into the sunlight, her sensible shoes smacking lightly against the pavement. She had the urge to spin around, and got halfway through a whirl when she realized that she was being watched. Then, Willow stopped so fast she almost fell over, her arms wind-milling for a moment before she caught her balance.

There were four of them, she saw. Three boys, including the one who had banged on the window. One girl. Willow’s eyes, moving fast, flickered across the boys, from their ripped jeans to their scuffed leather jackets to their greased hair. Then she looked at the fourth stranger, who was looking her over just as rudely as the other three.

The first thing Willow noticed was that the girl was tall, her long legs almost completely bare. She wore denim shorts, scandalously short, and dirty black combat boots. The second thing was that she was blond, her hair slicked back like the boys’, but longer. On them, it looked like they’d been dunked in Vasoline. On her, it looked sleek… it looked dangerous. The third thing Willow saw was that, beneath the sneer and the makeup around her eyes and the heavy leather bomber jacket, the girl was possibly the most beautiful thing she’d ever seen.

“See something you like, girlie?” asked one of the boys, the one with the darkest hair. He stepped away from the motorcycle he’d been leaning against, and wrapped an arm around the blond girl’s waist, tugging her up against him. She went easily, supple in his grip, her chin lifting, but her eyes were like blue tacks, sharp and steely. Willow gulped.

“Ah, no,” she said, too quietly, cursing the timidity that seemed to come over her whenever she was actually forced to interact with the things that interested her.

“What was that?” the blond girl asked, breaking away from her friend to stalk across the parking lot towards Willow, who was suddenly very concerned about where in heaven Giles was.

“I- I said no,” Willow said quickly, crossing her arms over her chest, suddenly uncomfortable with the way the blond was staring at her.

“Why?” the biker asked boldly, and her companions hooted with laughter. “Most people like me… You saying you don’t like me?” Willow was frozen, both by the threat that the taller girl presented and by the startling, unfamiliar and completely unwelcome heat that was racing up and down her torso, pounding deep inside her belly.

“I… Um…”

“Willow? You, get away from her!” Giles hurried over and put an arm around Willow’s shoulders, and in that moment she was torn between being more grateful than she’d ever been in her life… and wishing he were gone.

“Catch you later, Red,” the blond said throatily, her cerulean gaze too intimate, before she turned and sauntered back to the row of bikes where her friends were still chuckling.

“Come on, Willow,” Giles said, more softly, his eyes on the retreating blond. “We have a long way to go.”

………………

Tara watched the uptight Brit and his cute redheaded kid climb into a wicked-looking black car, peeling out of the parking lot so fast they left rubber. Beside her, Spike raised a fist and punched her lightly on the arm.

“Too fucking charming for your own good, Tay,” he said with a smirk. “Some day it’ll get you into trouble.”

“Yeah,” she agreed, shaking out her hair and fingering the chain at her hip. “Sweetheart of the year, that’s me.”

“So what’s the plan, baby?” asked Angel, scratching his scruffy chin. “This joint’s got nothing I want.”

“Maybe not,” she said thoughtfully, the tone of her voice making Spike rock backwards in anticipation, “but I think I found something I do.”

Last edited by WiccanHandprintz on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Highway To Hell (New AU fic)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:34 pm 
3. Flaming O

Dibs. Bad girl Tara? Now that's a premise we don't see too often. Needless to say, looking forward to more.

Thanks for sharing
restlessminds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:45 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 8
Great start. Can't wait for the next update.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:41 pm 
29. Miss Psycho-pep-squad

Topics: 1
Wee hee wicked Tara. That's something I gotta hear, well, read. :party

When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. -Arrigo Boito

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:26 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey great start, I think this fic could go far :) cant wait for updates

x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:52 am 
3. Flaming O

Interesting start. I definitely look forward to the update :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:12 am 
3. Flaming O

very interesting. cant wait to read more. love biker tara. :blush

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:19 am 
19. Yummy Face

Really good beginning... Can't wait how the girls end up as a couple...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:08 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Intriguing start. I like the contrast in personalities of both Willow and Tara. They seem to come from very different backgrounds, but are probably more similar than we realize. Each one comes off a little like a lost soul.

Looking forward to what comes next.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:46 am 
3. Flaming O

Oh oh oh~ biker Tara...
Can't wait to see what happen next... :pray

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:48 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 2
I like it so far. It's really cool and Tara a biker with Angel and Spike! update soon!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:51 am 
3. Flaming O

Thanks for the reviews, guys! I'll respond after this chapter.

Chapter Two

Tay Maclay wasn’t used to boredom. In the three years she’d been on her own, or at least, out of reach of her psychotic family, she’d worked out a system: stay on the move, find edgy girls who don’t mind a walk on the dark side, don’t make serious connections. It made for a hard life, but an exciting one… now, though, however hard it was to admit, she was bored.

“God, don’t these people ever stop someplace fun?” They were idling at a stoplight on a highway parallel to the one the black Impala had taken off down, and after several hours of following the Brit and the girl, had gotten nowhere other than a few rest stops. Beside her, Xandman spat over the line to the side of the road and shook his head.

“They got to stop for the night sometime soon,” he said, squinting into the slow sunset, and Angel nodded.

“She really worth it, Tay?” Tara rolled her eyes towards him, stretching out her back in a sinuous twist before revving her engine.

“Is anything really worth it, pretty boy?” He snorted.

“I’ll give you that.” And they were off.

As the wind whipped her hair against her neck, slapping her face like thousands of angry hands, Tara curled her lip against the buffeting and focused on the hard faded road spreading out before her, on the motor roaring between her legs, on the wide green eyes of the girl she was chasing. She really worth it, Tay? She didn’t know, but why not find out? Always fun to take a little innocence.

Behind her, flanking across the empty evening lanes, her boys shouted to each other every so often, but mostly rode in silence. They understood what it meant, what it really meant, to live this life. They understood the freedom.

Tara smiled to herself, just one hard tilt of the mouth, and remembered.

Spike had been the first. Blond, Cockney Spike, who played up his roughshod accent like nothing else. He acted the tough guy, but he could spout off some pretty damn lyrical verse when he was drunk. She had met him in a bar five months after running with nothing but her bike and the clothes on her back, when she winked at a pretty girl whose asshole boyfriend decided to try and mess her up. She’d been young then, and weak, and had done nothing more than spit at him and get ready for pain. Spike had stepped in just before the first punch landed, and in about two seconds flat he’d had the man on the ground bleeding into the split gravel. They’d been riding together ever since. She supposed they could have been more, too; Spike was beautiful in a sharp, almost feminine way… but not quite feminine enough, and luckily there had never been problems with that.

Xandman, then. Real name Alexander, and he’d introduced himself as just Xander, but she’d never called him anything else. She and Spike had rolled into a party outside a pavilion in Boston, and when they rolled out again the guy was with them and he’d just never left. Tara never really knew whether he’d banded up because he’d been drinking or whether he’d actually wanted to disappear with them, and she’d never asked.

Last was Angel, about a year ago. Leather coats and sneers, a lot like Spike, actually. Probably why they’d fought like hell the first time they met. Tara remembered walking back from the bathroom to find her boy and some stranger grappling on the floor, a ring of bikers around them cheering one name or another. She’d waded in, grabbed a handful of peroxide blond and one of silky brown and yanked the heads apart hard enough that both shouted in pain and surprise. Maybe it was the gorgeous girl staring him down with about as much fear as a panther, maybe it was the fact that the blond asshole he’d been fighting did nothing more than let out an easy laugh when the girl pulled them apart, or maybe it was some combination of those and everything else… but Angel had been one of them ever since.

Tara broke out of memory-land with a jolt, and her lips parted.

The Impala, ahead of them and to the left, almost too far away to make out, had pulled into the parking lot of a Motel 6.

“What’s the plan?” called Spike as they neared the motel, still far enough away to be impossible to see in the dying light, but close enough to read the sign.

“I’m taking her,” Tara called back. “Show time,” she whispered then, the sound lost in the wind and the engine.

Willow watched Giles fumble with their room key for what felt like a solid minute before she heaved a pointed sigh.

“I’m sorry,” he snapped, as shrewish as Giles could actually be, “that I can’t quite manage these—these cards as well as others!” He put so much emphasis on the word ‘cards’ that it might as well have been ‘bastard children’.

“Well, how about you let me do it?” But before he could respond, the door was opened. With a look of mild triumph, Giles gestured for her to proceed him inside.

Once their bags, few as they were, were situated by the little chest of drawers across from the beds, Willow looked longingly at the small window. It was dark, but the lights that lined the motel parking lot made it into a softer, less intimidating night.

“Can I go for a walk?”

“You must be joking,” Giles replied absently, unpacking his small tidy suitcase into one of the drawers.

“No,” Willow said, a little hurt, and stood up from the mattress she’d been leaning against. “Just around the parking lot. It’s well lit and everything!”

“Why? Look, Willow, just unload your things and prepare for bed, won’t you?”

“It’s not even nine-thirty.”

“Just the same.”

“I’ll be back in five minutes, Giles, I just want to stretch my legs a little.” He turned to catch her already at the door, and frowned.

“That’s why we stopped at that horrid little park.”

“That was four hours ago.”

“And?”

“And my legs don’t freeze into position like yours do, apparently!” With that, she opened the door and slipped out. Giles sighed, went to the window, and made sure he could see the entire parking lot. Satisfied, he turned back to the room. There was a small, antenna-topped television sitting on the chest of drawers, and, with one raised brow, Giles found the remote. Perhaps something decent was playing, like I Love Lucy.

Willow kept her hands in her pockets, a little shivery. It was colder than she’d expected, and once she got a good bit around the parking lot, the coolness set in more decisively.

“Stupid deserts,” she muttered. “Hot as hell by day, cold as anything by night.”

“Here,” a voice said out of the darkness just beyond the pool of light cast by the nearest lamp post. “This’ll warm you up.”

Willow, at the first unexpected word, almost keeled over onto the pavement.

Then, the owner of the voice stepped out of the shadows and, with a slow smile, offered her a worn leather jacket.

It was her.

The blond girl, the biker from the diner. Here. With her. In the parking lot. Offering her her coat.

“I…”

“Take it, kid. I don’t mind the cold.” Carefully, because she was afraid the girl might hit her if she didn’t, Willow accepted the jacket and shrugged it on. It was warm, and smelled of leather and wind and something sweet, like honey.

“Thanks,” she said warily, eying the girl. She was wearing real pants now, jeans, but they were tight enough that none of the glory of those long legs was lost. At that, Willow blushed and the blond girl, noting the way Willow was looking her up and down, smiled a little wider. For a second, Willow thought she saw something sharp in that smile, something panther-like (something hungry) in those blue eyes. Then it was gone.

“No problem,” the girl said easily. “Hey, I’m sorry about before. The boys get a little rowdy, and I have to keep ‘em in line.”

“It’s okay,” Willow said, not really knowing how else she could possibly respond.

“I’m Tay,” said the girl, holding out a hand. “Tara, really.”

“Willow.” She took the proffered hand, shaking it quickly and releasing it just as fast.

“Willow,” Tara repeated, her silky voice low. Willow swallowed.

Suddenly, there was a roar of engines in the distance. Tara looked over her shoulder, and Willow swallowed again at the fear in her eyes when she looked back.

“Willow, you have to get out of here,” Tara said, the easygoing smile gone. “I thought by going ahead I’d convince them to drop it, but I was wrong. They’re coming.”

“What? Who’s coming?” Scared, Willow took a step away from the blond and looked every direction she could without turning her back on Tara.

“Some guys from a bar we stopped at,” Tara explained, rushed. “Spike and Angel were talking about you, joking around, and some boys decided it might be fun to play around.” Willow’s eyes widened, and she almost tripped shrugging out of the jacket. Tara grabbed her arm.

“No, you can’t go in there! They’re bad types, Willow, and they’ll go after you. You’re like a game to those people, understand? They’ll hurt you, and they’ll hurt the man you’re traveling with.” Shocked, Willow stared at the blond. The engines were getting louder, and now she could hear vague whoops and shouts of laughter. Men. More than one.

“What do I do?” she asked, wondering where the nearest police station was. Nowhere close, that was for sure. Tara’s grip on her upper arm loosened, and the blond stepped closer. She looked nothing like the tough, crude biker girl of the diner. Now, her blue eyes were big, concerned, kind.

“You have to come with me,” she said, her voice soft but firm. “I can keep you safe. They won’t go up against me and my boys, and once they give up, I can bring you back here.”

“I- I can’t do that,” Willow said, her brain not quite functioning. She couldn’t look away from Tara’s face.

“It’s the only way to protect you,” Tara said, earnest. “Please, Willow, I don’t want you to get hurt because of me.”

“But Giles-“

“We’ll call the motel. Come on, there’s no time!” She dropped Willow’s arm and stepped back, away from Willow, who automatically followed. As soon as she took that first step, Tara’s hand found hers and they were running, running out of the light of the parking lot and over bumpy pitted rock.

She wasn’t sure how far to push it, but the stupid girl wasn’t cooperating. She was falling for the puppy-dog eyes, but not fast enough, not hard enough! Tara bit her lip, and then upped the ante by letting go of Willow and stepping back. If she followed—she did. Tara had to hide a smile.

She had her.

Spike, Angel and Xandman would meet up with them later. They’d work out then what to do about the so-called dangerous gang after Willow. For now, though, Tara was satisfied with one clear thought:

Damn, I’m good.

Post subject: Re: Highway To Hell (Updated 4/12)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:58 am 
29. Miss Psycho-pep-squad

Topics: 1
Dibs!
*eyes bulge out* :o
Wow, this Tara really needs some straightnening....geez, makes me wish she gets hurt before havin her happy ending with Willow... *grumpy*

.... *taps foot*
Come ON already, happy ending!!! *puppy eyes* :p

When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. -Arrigo Boito

Last edited by jay/wt4evr on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:51 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

neat! neat! neeed :wtkiss

(O.o )
(> < ) This Is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. (it must be bunnieeees!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:39 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for good update-y goodness... I hope that Willow manages to somehow find the lost innocence in Tara and bring forth a softer and nonmanipulative Tara...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:18 am 
3. Flaming O

Great updatey goodness,

x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:10 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

This story is so enjoyable because it's wildly different than what's typically posted on this board. While Willow's personality is still in line with what we're used to, Tara's is off the charts. However, you've given her this hard edge and devious nature that is still believable.

I really enjoy your writing style and look forward to more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:56 pm 
2. Floating Rose

OK, I'm hooked! More please!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:35 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 2
WOW! This is such a twist on what the fics are usually like! Please update!