The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Apothecary - June 1 - Chapter 29: Jackal
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:44 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 1
I did a whole "thank you readers" thing in my blog, and hopefully it's not too shameless to do it here, but WOW! Thank you, everyone, for voting for me and this story at the Sunnydale Memorial Fanfiction Awards.

Thank you so much. Without readers, there would be no writers. I am so happy to share this story, and many others, with you.

Va pup,
Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:04 am 
3. Flaming O

Dibs (I hope) on the news of well deserved awards! You really do deserve it Jen, this is an amazing story which keeps intriguing me on so many different levels!

I have been reading your chapters faithfully, now I will see if I can leave feedback a bit more faithfully as well ;)

Previous chapter:

Quote:
Willow couldn't quite keep her face from flushing at the mere idea of sleeping with Tara, especially considering Anya's parting words. Stammering and self-conscious and not allowing herself to hope, Willow said, "I'd love to sleep with you, Tara, and I do mean just sleep, because that's what I think you mean, not that I wouldn't love to... you know... but we nearly killed each other yesterday and we're only now just magically healed up and I shouldn't be expecting you to just jump into the sack with me just because I'm the only warm-blooded person around right now..." Willow's voice tapered off as Tara's grin got larger and larger, and finally Tara simply laughed and kissed her quickly on the lips.

"There you are, Willow," Tara said softly after she retreated. "A little taste of the Willow that was."

This first made me smile of the Willow innocence, then it almost made me cry with that comment from Willow, to think of the innocence lost and all she has been through. I hope there will be a second dawn for her though..

Quote:
Willow's world was rearranging, coastlines evolving, whole continents spreading and drifting and anchoring anew, and Tara was her cartographer, mapping these new vistas as Piri Reis did those centuries ago, making his recordings on the skin of a gazelle.

Captivating imagery... As usual when you combine old, antique objects and tales of the past, you do so to add a dimension to the present you're writing about, giving it a predestines feeling of grandeur and awe (Like how it would feel as a voyager to first set foot in uncharted territory or being the first explore to uncover some vast ancient city from time unknown..).

Quote:
And the Willow that is couldn't help but wonder if this would all end up being a lie. A mongrel dog whipped too long is just as wary of the kind hand.

This made me apprehensive..

Quote:
Gazelles are hunted by jackals.

This directly alarmed me, coming out of the blue almost, but hinting back to the "mongrel dog" and the "skin of a gazelle." And I wonder if this metaphor is not the vehicle for a greater part of the plot? You've mentioned Rei's map too often for coincidence... -goes off to ponder-

Quote:
"What were we talking about?" Willow finally asked, breaking the silence.

"Faith, I think, and supper."

Having read the latest chapter, this is a clever bit of foreshadowing..

Quote:
Though she'd never seen Faith with that book before, it was slightly familiar, like the shadow cast by an old friend.

-Again, this made me very curious as well as a bit comprehensive.. Now I know why. And it is indeed a shadow cast by an old friend, brilliant!

Quote:
Several hours later, Willow would reevaluate everything.

To be continued next Monday with 29: Jackal

This again made alarm bells go off inside my head, for what reasons should Willow reevaluate? Good or bad? (Meaning smoochies or nasties..)

And the Jackal:
I can understand why you're proud of this chapter, despite the absence of W/T, it reveals so much about the plot and Faith's past. And it certainly explained the Jackal bit.. What I'm left to wonder about is what or who killed Buffy and what role Faith played in this tragic event..

Quote:
Well, the lips now were an improvement on the old ones, but for one important thing.

The love of her life had never kissed these ones.

This broke my heart, already here it seems to be hinted that she will never be kissed by the love of her life..

You paint a complicated picture of Faith here. She's in deep with Wilkins, which certainly is very bad news for our girls, on the other hand her past has left her shattered and the unbroken facade is no more than the work of a plastic surgeon and the lies of her boss, a brave attempt to keep the shattered fragments of herself from crumbling. I have a feeling Tara could find a way into Faith's heart, already she has been surprised by Tara, hopefully she will also be surprised by Tara's warm heart and amazing capability to love. Maybe too Faith will come to feel compassion and companionship with Willow for their mutual loss..

Quote:
A river, he explained, is only powerful because there are banks on each side to contain it. Just like a bullet is powerful, because there is a trajectory mandated by the barrel of the pistol.

"If you are going to be my weapon," he had said, "then you need to have boundaries as well. Trust me, follow my lead, and you will become more powerful than you can imagine. You can get back everything that was taken away from you."

While I do not endorse Wilkins, it's a fascinating way of putting things, fascinating and terrifying..

All this time, while many questions have been answered, I really would love to know who is in command of the Drakenvearders!

Quote:
August 6, 20xx

So you're ignoring me. I get it. I deserve it.

But don't you get it, Faith? I did it because I love you!

Damn it, Faith. I love you, all right! I said it! I've always wanted to say it! Now get out your friggin pen and write back! You're still in danger!

Get out of my life, Buffy. I don't need you. I've never needed you.

This entry hit me like splash of cold water. You give information enough to tantalize, but never really sate curiosity, you throw out hints, but never enough to piece the puzzle together.. Brilliant but bugging ;) So why didn't she want to write back? What had Buffy done and why was Faith in danger?? -sigh- I guess patience is the best cure for this.. after all, "Haste makes Waste.."

Quote:
Despite their unnatural healing, Faith carried up the cooler of food for them, and was surprised to be pulled aside by the Apothecary. Rosenberg was sitting at the table, her face lustrous and endearing, which only made Faith hate her more. But then Tara whispered into her ear, and Faith couldn't help but smile.

Now, this is what gives me hope, Tara's already gently breaking down the walls. Or is it perhaps her irresistible character which finds its way through the small cracks and crevices of Faith's bravado?

I hope this makes it up just a bit for my feedback vacation, this is brilliant stuff and I love it! :sigh

(By the way, my offer for looking over Covenant is still standing if you like..!)

-Nen

~The Show Must Go On by Queen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:30 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for excellent update-y goodness... So Faith indeed works for Wilkins... I'm also wondering what Buffy did to Faith for Faith to push her away... I really hope that Tara and her warm kindness break down Faith's barriers and she would really star working for Willow and help in the fight against Wilkins...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:11 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Rah! I woke up this morning intent on leaving feedback for chapter 28, only to find that you had already updated (twice even!) and won lots of pretty, incredibly well deserved awards (mucho congrats on that btw) and that I'm totally slack. Anywho, most of my feedback for chapter 28 consisted of how happy I was that the girls were all healed and that you totally rocked the cliffhangery foreboding sentence at the end. Moving right along: Wow, chapter 29 is awesome! There is something so wonderful that arises from a character being revealed as a double-agenty deceiver, especially in a dramatic irony kind of way. I'm neither here nor there as far as Faith is concerned in general so the fact that I found this chapter so awesome with it focusing mostly on her should indicate how much I enjoyed it. And sheesh, for a story in which Buffy is dead, that girl sure has a lot to answer for plot-wise :) Seriously though, it's wonderful the way she is so present in the story whilst being dead because it begs all sorts of questions about our agency in the world, what we leave behind and the long lasting, ever present consequences of death upon those who remain.

This story sort of reminds me of a Rubick's cube that you've handed to us half solved; we've been thrown into the middle of these events that were set in motion some time ago and each chapter brings a couple of squares into what looks like the correct alignment by giving us some answers. At the same time though, other squares are taken out of alignment because there's a whole bunch of intrigue-y questions and ingredients for new theories thrown into each update as well. This chapter, for example, solved like one whole face of the cube, giving us insight into Faith - her place in the story, reasons she's in that place, and possibilities for her place in the unknown events of the future - yet at the same time made the whole rest of the cube all screwy because it brought a whole bunch of new questions and possible ponderings. Plus the inclusion of the double crossyness of Faith as well as Wilkins' 'big picture' is like a whole crazy variable akin to having a puppy come along and use the Rubick's cube as a chew toy for a couple of minutes whilst the solver is away making a snack. And I believe this poor excuse for an analogy has met it's very inevitable end. Sorry, that all started in a place of sense and then completely left the map. It was all praise though, honest.

I'm pretty sure I don't even have to add how much I'm looking forward to a chapter titled 'Fruit' but I will anyway. Thankee for the update.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:01 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Okay, I'm trying this new concept of not waiting until the last minute to leave feedback. Here goes...

Ch 28 -

I've especially loved these last chapters and how they pull in 'real life' relatable items into this fantastic, mystical world you've created. Willow's mind connecting magic to The Great Pumpkin is supremely innocent and sweet, which is in stark contrast to the violence and betrayal going on around them. Like Tara, I was excited to see the emergence of this older Willow.

Tara's whole explanation of past, present, and future selves was beautiful and striking. Not only can they co-exist, but they need this allowance for a person to be whole. Willow has been a shell for so long that I imagine the 'regrowing pains' could be quite traumatic.

The blood oath was just...WOW! Brilliant. 'nuf said.

Ch 29 -

I love that you have favorite chapters too. For me it's sometimes a chapter, sometimes a few paragraphs, but it makes me gosh darn happy.

O.M.G.

In a Wilkins-like manner I wave my fist and say "Darn, Faith!" Seriously. I suspected there was a bigger picture than what you've previously revealed. Until this chapter I didn't consider just how much Wilkins could know about Willow and her adversaries. There was some major jaw dropping going on.

It seems that Wilkins is not only tied to the djinns, but also to the Drakensdvaerder. I have to imagine this revelation makes things even more dire for Willow and Tara. Willow's blood oath certainly must impact in ways greater than she imagined.

It's interesting that the 'heroes' of this saga: Willow, Tara, the Council...they love and they fight and they hope though each of them is very aware of all that's been lost. With W and T it also seems like both are preparing to lose this battle. Meanwhile you have Faith and Wilkins on the other side, supposedly holding all the cards and fully expecting to win. However, he is arrogant and she is smug. I cannot WAIT to see them fall.

Lots of juicy tidbits here. Faith's ties to Persia and to Buffy. The magical red book. Keeps getting better.

Congratulations on the many well deserved wins!

I can't wait for Fruit. You know you taunted me with this chapter like 8 updates ago??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:17 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Edible undies!!!!!!!!!! :pinky :pinky :pinky

Hehe... or something like that :tongue

I definitely didn't see this coming... Faith being a doble agent. Another interesting development.

So that means Buffy was with Riley because of some sense of duty or something?

:pride

Hector Avellan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:32 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
Oh, eff, man that was awesome!

You know just the right moment to spice things up with more mystery. The subtle kind, created with just hints and subtleties made for the greatest intrigue of all.

Faiiiiiiiith. Oh, Faithy Faithy Faith. What is your role this time?

I love. Love love love the whole business between Wilkins and Faith, for making her a weapon. A river. Absolutely wonderful. Boundaries. Magnificent. It makes Faith that much more lethal and interesting.

And speaking of interesting, what did she look like before? How did the djinns know her?

Buffy. Buffy Buffy Buffy. What have you done? Part of me believes she knows/knew what she was doing, talking to Faith. Which leads me to believe this whole story and everyone and all the events in it have become much larger than it was a chapter ago. What year were those entries written? If Faith writes back, what would she say next? Does Faith know about Willow's relationship to Buffy? How could she not? Was Buffy Faith's love? What did Buffy know?

I love that Buffy and Faith have this thing for Oreos. Wouldn't it be perfect if one liked the cream middle and the other preferred the cookie part? I for one am partial to the cream over the cookie. Who do you think goes for each? I'm thinking Faith cream, Buffy cookie. .....did that sound a little dirty, or was that just me? :P

I missed asking crazy questions like those. Dammit, Jen, you're too freaking good.

Ooh, also. Whenever I see or hear the word 'Jackal', the first place my brain goes to is this.

Last edited by Zooeys_Bridge on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:49 pm 
3. Flaming O

Bloody hell, those forty lashes I gave myself for singularly failing to leave feedback on the recent chapters aren't half beginning to sting.

Apologies for my negligence, life has been a bit of whirlwind of late.

I have read them but don't have time right now to scan them again in order to refresh my somewhat frazzled mind and leave anything that even remotely resembles useful feedback.

I do remember the feelings they engendered though and rest assured that I loved them.

I do remember that Faith is a wrong 'un though. I am intrigued by her. I was never a big fan of her on the programme (found her very one-dimensional. Wearing dodgy leather trousers, drinking one beer and doing a bit of sexy dancing does not a badass make). I am always interested in her in fanfic though as she is generally much better written than she ever was on the programme. Still hope Willow kicks her leather-clad arse all the way back to Persia though.

Oh, and well done on your recent awards successes - all very much deserved.

Thanks for sharing
restlessminds

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:58 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

oh God... First, congratz!!! I surely know you deserve all that!!

Second, thank you for the most amazing chapters ever!! I didn´t have time to read them before, you know, really busy with work, and my new book (my editor will kill me soon, I just know that XD)

Third, oh Faith... so much hate and pain... now Buffy´s dead...and Anya being Anya, so funny o/ I´m curious about Xander´s true nature (you know, all the stuff about his ascension...)

thank a lot for the update, I´ll try not delaying read them ^^

My Heart Draws a Dream
True Colors of Love
A Crazy Little Thing Called Mutation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:56 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wow you weren't kidding about Chapter 29!!! It certainly did not disappoint! Well except for the whole Faith is on the wrong side bit. :happy Despite the fact it appears she is a 'bad girl", you wrote her story brilliantly.

Talk about deep cover...
Quote:
In Persian, shaghal. The Jackal.

I am curious about the plastic surgery, who she was before, and what the heck was her deal with Buffy??? I didn't see that coming! And what of Faith being in "danger" back then?

Jeez, Willow and Tara have one hell of a fight coming...
Amazing update!!! :applause
-anna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:59 pm 
28. Com...plete

Wow. Just... wow. I wish I could give coherent and worthwhile feedback, but the best I can do is say I loved it, and I am amazed. Definitely did not see it coming, Faith being a bad guy or in love with Buffy or involved in Persia. Lots of big surprises... can't wait to see what's next!

I hope, we'll have more happy ever after
I hope, we can all live more fearlessly...

~Jas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:50 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

that was an awesome update ... although I am saddened to hear the Faith is not of the good. I always thought the character was horribly misunderstood but had redeeming qualities. I certainly hope your Faith does ... eventually!

And congrats on the awards!!! :D

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:39 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Did anyone see June? I swear, I blinked and I missed it. I have not had such a crazy month in a long time. First, my work on Revenant has been insane, and then my work work has also been crazed.

HAPPY CANADA DAY!

Yet, there is light! It is July 1, a whole freaking month since I last posted (apologies, all!) and I finally have Fruit ready for you. Yes, I've been teasing you about since... um... April... and it's here!

After feedback response!

Foo - Congrats on the double dibs. Oops on the double post, but still, glad you dibsed it! I hope you enjoyed it!

Zooey's Bridge - You got edged out, Rach, but let's see what form you have for today! Absolutely loooved your feedback. Oh, Faith, indeed!
Quote:
I love. Love love love the whole business between Wilkins and Faith, for making her a weapon. A river. Absolutely wonderful. Boundaries. Magnificent. It makes Faith that much more lethal and interesting.
I particularly enjoyed that imagery, and making Faith much more powerful than she was in canon. And your insights regarding Buffy were also amazing. Oreos? Oh, yes, a little bit of Buffishness to lighten things up. I'm so glad you're enjoying this. Enjoy some fruit!

Nenyath - Hello, my friend. As mentioned above, Revenant is almost done, and hallelujah! You know, some authors take a whole year to write a book, right? On to your feedback, loved that you mentioned that you hope Willow gets her innocence back, a "second dawn". Clever you! You also know how much I love themes - you'll continue to see jackals and gazelles throughout. Knowing that Faith is the jackal... hmm...

So you would like to know how is the leader of the Drakensdvaerder? So would I! (I haven't exactly pegged that one out in my mind yet... remember me saying "writing by the seat of my pants?") I hope you enjoy the next chapter!

Zampsa - So you wonder what Buffy did to push Faith away? I shall enjoy sharing that with you... eventually! Enjoy the update!

Owl - Kay, absolutely adored your feedback. First, your comment on how, for being dead, Buffy sure has a lot to answer for - you certainly got it!
Quote:
Seriously though, it's wonderful the way she is so present in the story whilst being dead because it begs all sorts of questions about our agency in the world, what we leave behind and the long lasting, ever present consequences of death upon those who remain.
That was fantastic. Thank you.

Also fantastic was your depiction of the story being a Rubik's cube that some dog slobbered all over while you were getting a snack. What a great analogy! This story is very much that way, and I'm excited to start getting back into it. I hope you enjoy the next chapter.

ophelia11 - Um, I just realized that I did taunt you with this update a looong time ago (April, right?) and I abase myself to the ground and offer you this update as a peace offering! Darn real life!
Quote:
It's interesting that the 'heroes' of this saga: Willow, Tara, the Council...they love and they fight and they hope though each of them is very aware of all that's been lost. With W and T it also seems like both are preparing to lose this battle.
Thanks for that - it was a terrific insight. These next few chapters are going to blow your socks off. I hope you enjoy them! (And I'll try to stop taunting you!)

ceridwen - I loved that you asked why Buffy was then with Riley if she was in love with Faith. Oh, do I ever have a story for you! I shall reveal all in good time. Meanwhile, enjoy the next chapter! (hehe)

restlessminds - No lashes, okay? There's enough angst in the story. I completely understand the whirlwind of life. Loved your take on the canon Faith...
Quote:
found her very one-dimensional. Wearing dodgy leather trousers, drinking one beer and doing a bit of sexy dancing does not a badass make
Quite right! Thanks for the kudos, and I hope you savour the next chapter!

Nue - No worries on the feedbacking - like I said, life is often unpredictable. There's a whole lot of questions here and I'm having the time of my life taking these characters and making them older and more burdened, surprising you even! Wait until I reintroduce Cordelia... Enjoy the next chapter!

irishgrl3 - Hey, Anna, thanks for commenting. Faith actually has quite a place in this story, and I'm very excited to bring her out of the shadows. If written correctly, she can be such a succulent bad guy... More shall be revealed about her and Buffy in time! Keep reading!

CrazyTaraWitch - I'm glad that you enjoyed the update, with all its surprises and twists. I hope you continue to enjoy the story!

LittleBit - So Faith may not be of the good right now, but who knows what will happen in one of my fics? I certainly don't! (see above caveat - writing by the seat of my pants...) Enjoy the update!

So here is Fruit, and much thanks as always to Masterjendu, who is such a sap at heart. This update is sponsored by a Happy Canada Day, which is the reason why Jen is off work and able to post updates at 11 am in the morning in her pajamas!

Cheers!
Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:43 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

[center]~30~
Fruit
[/center]

There was a small and deep and strangely malignant part of Tara's mind that knew that things were about to change. Part of it was due to the game she had in mind, a game to play with Willow. Another part was about Faith, Willow's strangely familiar driver. She had sent Faith out as a test, to see how long it would take Faith to return, and how intuitive Faith would be concerning her budding relationship with Willow.

That little corner of malignancy had everything to do with the seemingly innocuous event that had happened five hundred years ago; the first instant that Wilkins had taken her collar. He had been a young man then, dirty yet couth, somehow surviving the diabolical hatred of the streets of Samarkand without hearth or home. She had been unconcerned at first that he had found her, had captured her. Humans had such foibles; they spent their three wishes easily and without thought. He was scarce more than a boy; she would be quickly freed.

Not Richard Wilkins, though that had not been his name back then.

So as much as she hated to think of games, of riddles, of looking for motives, Tara knew that she was sending Faith out for more than fruit. Six thousand year old habits died hard, and the woman was damningly familiar.

Faith returned to them in forty two minutes, bearing bagloads of groceries and an overnight bag for Willow with a change of clothes and toiletries. Knowing now how far away Willow's mansion was, Faith's alacrity in finishing this mission was surprising, especially as Tara began to unpack all the fruit. There was, as she bid, a single piece of fruit in dozens of varieties. Papayas and pomelos, apples and apricots, dragonfruit and dreamberries, lychees and limes, bananas and breadfruit and pineapples and more.

And Willow; her eyes were bright, there in her chair, and she watched Tara's movements with an eagle eye and barely restrained curiosity. The girl was so incredibly endearing that Tara could have fallen in love with her again if such love did not already lay siege to every corner of her jaded heart. It was a painful wanting ache that struck her in the chest as she looked at the First Lieutenant of the Drakensdvaerder, now that Faith had departed for home, knowing that Willow would be staying with her this night.

Trying to ignore the smouldering look on Willow's face, Tara concentrated on setting out the fruit on the immaculately tiled floor of her kitchen, remembering with some difficulty the last time someone had slept with her in her bed.

It had been a woman.

It had been Eva.

It had been one hundred and twenty three years ago, and her sister merely held her as Tara sobbed herself to sleep. Sister of race, though not of blood, but Tara had never felt towards Eva as she did towards Willow. Despite knowing of Willow's skills, despite knowing of Willow's training, Tara felt an incredible surge of protectiveness regarding her, wishing she could wrap her up in gauze and keep her safe from the world. Having Eva hold her that terrible night had been necessary; Eva's touch did nothing for her except comfort.

Not so with this firebrand, this Willow. Tara was still amazed and a little appalled at how quickly she had fallen for this mortal, and more than fallen. She was now risking everything for a person she had only known for eight days. A person whose death she'd mourn for eight hundred years, collared or not.

The price of immortality.

Willow was such that deserved to be mourned with fervour and intent; while Tara lived her memory would never fade from the world.

And Tara would live forever.

Willow was not blushing now, not as she had been moments ago when she told Faith to return to the mansion without her. She hadn't really needed to say the words; Tara had hinted as much when she sent Faith on her errand, only hinted, and the remarkably intuitive girl had returned with an overnight bag. The blush on Willow's face then was enormously charming, and Tara vowed to do whatever she must to see that slow ember alight on Willow's cheeks.

They had both changed into nightclothes; tank tops and silky pants. Hesitation was thick and searing. The blush Tara loved came and faded; Tara wanted to see it again.

Eva had spoken of this game one morning over breakfast about a hundred years ago; she had played it with a young man she eventually seduced. Eva had more than hinted that Tara needed to find an appropriate partner to play the game herself, but Tara always refused. Lilith's blood was still on her hands, and there was no one worth kissing anymore. Mankind was doomed.

Until now.

Would Willow see the game for what it really was?

Yes. Oh, yes, she would. She was the First Lieutenant for a reason, and not just because of her swordsmanship.

Who is the Marshal General?

"You don't have anything kinky planned with all of this, do you?" Willow asked, half admonishing and half hopeful.

"We could layer in all sorts of levels of kink if you'd like," Tara replied. "But suppose we start off rather innocently, just to give us some room to play in." Tara sat on the floor, two knives on a napkin next to her, completely surrounded by fruit except for a bare patch right in front of her. She patted that space of tile and said, "Come sit with me, Willow."

The girl actually swallowed and blushed just a tiny bit, and there was a hard knock of desire in Tara's gut. Trying to stay playful, at least for now, Tara watched Willow come to her, and there was no wicked black eye on Willow's face, nor the constriction of her ribs, nor the bristled scab over her belly. Anya, for reasons of her own, had healed them both. Tara was quite grateful. This game would have been difficult, otherwise.

She was still rather astonished at the oath Willow gave. That deep malignant part of her wondered why Willow had done it, what Willow had to gain.

Willow seemed a little uncertain of how exactly to sit, so she sat cross-legged at first, facing Tara. Flashing a low

seductive!

smile, Tara uncurled her own legs and splayed them, one on each side of Willow's thighs. Scooting forward just slightly, Tara tugged at Willow's ankles until Willow unfurled her own legs; Tara placed them quite deliberately around her waist, until she and Willow, face to face, were only a foot apart from each other, their legs supportive and comfortable.

"Hi, Willow."

Willow swallowed again and said, "Hi."

"Are you comfortable?"

"Yes and no," Willow replied honestly. Tara lifted an eyebrow and Willow continued, "Not that I'm uncomfortable sitting like this, it's actually quite cozy, so I guess I'd say the uncomfort part comes from not knowing what we're doing. I don't always do well with the surprises."

"Still no birthday clowns or alleys," Tara said.

"I know, but I don't see any chocolate, either." Willow squirmed slightly, settling deeper into their leggy embrace, and another thunderbolt of nerves crackled along Tara's spine, her loins moist and thick.

"This is better," Tara said, her voice slightly husky, picking up a piece of fruit nearby, which happened to be a strawberry. "The game is this," she began to explain. "You will close your eyes and keep them closed, no peeking! I will choose and eat a portion of fruit and kiss you. If you can correctly identify the fruit I just ate, then I have to truthfully answer any question you ask me, barring those secrets that are held by oath or compulsion."

Tara certainly didn't want to be triggered again, and who knew of the secrets of a Drakensdvaerder?

Willow's eyes had grown darker and more wicked as Tara explained the game. Tara was glad they were both sitting on the floor; if Willow had looked like that when they were upright, they wouldn't have stayed upright very long.

That wouldn't really have been a loss, though.

Focus, Tara. Questions. Answers.

(kisses!)

"Would you like to play?" she asked, delighting to play innocent, even though she knew full well what Willow's answer would be.

"Hmm, let me think. Yes," Willow replied instantly.

"It sounds like that think wasn't well thought out. Are you sure?" Tara teased.

Willow's hands wrapped around Tara's lower back and pulled herself even closer, arching her knees over Tara's thighs. Their faces were not very far apart now, and lit only with a single naphtha lamp on the nearby table. For a moment Tara wanted to give up the idea of the game and just kiss Willow senseless.

Too many questions. This was a perfect way to answer them.

Besides, Willow was already speaking. "Eat the damn fruit, Tara," she mock-growled.

Willow was already closing her eyes. A little hesitant now, Tara looked at the enormous variety of fruit, wondering what she should start with. Anticipation and need were cluttering up her insides. Finally she chose a nectarine, pared away a piece of it with the knife and popped it into her mouth, being sure to coat her lips liberally with the juice. She chewed and swallowed and then whispered, "Keep those eyes shut, Willow. I'm coming in."

They were already so very close to each other. Tara lifted her hands to cup Willow's face, to ground her and center her. Willow was already leaning towards her, eyes screwed shut. Even with the warning, Willow jumped slightly at the contact. Then Tara kissed her, starting softly, a repeat of their very first kiss that day in her den. Just lips and no more, and just when it seemed Willow was about to change it, as she had that day, Tara pulled away.

Tara put her hands on Willow's hips, and Willow opened her eyes. She ran her tongue over her lips and then said, "Nectarine."

"You're right," Tara breathed, already half-wishing they weren't playing at all. She ran her own tongue over her lips like a mirrored reflection when Willow did, and the desire to kiss her senseless only got stronger.

"So I get to ask a question? Any question? And you'll answer?"

"Yes, but if I can't answer it, I'll tell you instead of leading you on to another sword fight."

"Thanks for that."

"You're welcome." Impish warmth was spreading throughout Tara, for this easy camaraderie was fast becoming addictive. Even deeper in her heart and soul, a place still untouched by any of Wilkins' manipulation, any of the horror of mankind for six thousand years, Tara knew that she needed more than a whirlwind of love with Willow, some hot and fiery blaze that would burn out and die too soon. She needed this friendship as well, this connection of mutual interest and desire. Intimidated slightly by the opulence of Willow's estate, Tara was glad they could come back to her place, for it was as safe as she could make it, collared as she was by her Master. Her books, her music, and now her Willow.

"Why do you hate the Beerenberg volcano?" Willow asked. She hesitated slightly, as if unsure what sort of questions they were allowed to ask and answer. Tara felt sure that there were far more burning questions inside her, but she must not know if this was a favourite things and colours kind of game, rather than a reveal your heart kind of game.

But with that one question, Tara knew the game would be interesting, indeed.

Willow was waiting. Her legs were very warm over Tara's legs, her chest rose and fell with unimpeded breath. Her red hair was falling over the cream of her shoulders, the tank top she had changed into.

Not merely adorable. Beautiful. Stunning.

Tara put her hands on Willow's knees and answered fully, knowing that by giving more here and now meant that Willow would feel obliged to respond in kind. There were a few things that Tara had to know.

[center]*****[/center]

July, 1350 A.D.

Crusted with ice, the cone of the Beerenberg Volcano was a timid pimple above the Arctic Ocean. It would be four hundred years before the great eruption that would create four square kilometres of land, thrusting the volcano proudly into the sky. For now it groveled in the eternal sunlight of the Arctic summer; a mountain as yet undiscovered by mankind.

Norvegia was a warlike place, but there was no battling the enemy that overtook them and the entire civilized world. It was the Black Death, and like any pure eruption, it was unstoppable.

Tara died of it on a lumpy mattress in Marseilles just two years earlier. It was a particularly horrific and painful death, and she wished she could have spent more time recuperating in the warm womb of the earth.

It was only there she could be with her pure mother.

Those of her race who were optimists believed that the eruptions happened for a reason, that the djinn was rocketed to the earth with the intent and well-wishes of the universe. They never knew what volcano would claim them; whether the sun-kissed slopes of Haleakala, or the icy embrace of Beerenberg.

Tara found it hard to believe such optimism the few times she'd been spit up by the volcano on the sere and frigid slopes of Beerenberg, clothed in nothing but human bones and skin over her eternal spirit of fire. From her bubbly blanket of lava Tara was thrown into hissing steam baths of liquified snow, cooling quickly in the Arctic air.

Every time she was birthed on the Jan Mayen island of Norvegia, through the Beerenberg Volcano, she died of exposure, shedding her adult human body as easily as she had been clothed in it. Her spirit of fire would race back into the molten core of the earth and await another eruption, hopefully from a better volcano.

This time was no exception, and Tara had long ago stopped counting the number of times she had died.

[center]*****[/center]

Willow didn't even bat her eyes; Tara interpreted only the slightest hiccup of breathing as a sign that she was surprised by Tara's story. Not wanting to go into further specifics, Tara closed her eyes, propelling forward the game.

Willow seemed content to play along. Tara heard some rustling, then the soft moist sound of Willow chewing and swallowing. Then Willow's warm fingers on her cheeks, drawing her close. The moment Tara felt the splendour of Willow's lips, so supple, so addictive, she ran her tongue over them, getting a taste, before tilting her mouth. A slow onslaught ensued, as their mouths locked tightly around each other, as their tongues dipped and caressed warm confines. A honeyed kiss, deep and passionate. Willow began to pull harder at Tara's hips, tucking her pelvis as close as possible. With their legs tangled as they were, with the velvet gasps from Willow's mouth, Tara again nearly forgot what she was doing.

It was Willow who pulled away slightly this time. Her face was flushed and expectant.

Oh, yes. The question. Did she want Tara to guess correctly or not? She must, with such a distinctive choice.

"Pineapple," Tara said.

"Yes," Willow replied. "Ask your question."

"Why did you kiss me the way you did, that first day?" Tara asked.

The slow morphing of Willow's face from something so charged and expectant to this abraded, downcast expression almost tore Tara's heart out. By some well of courage, Willow never shut her eyes or looked away from her. For a few moments she was silent, and Tara knew she was trying to find the right words.

It was the kiss that changed Tara forever. For her, it was the only question that mattered. If not for that kiss, her life would have continued the same way it had for five hundred years, all Willow-less and unknowing of the beauty that could await her.

If not for that kiss, for the desperate longings it afforded her, Tara may have already succumbed to the will of her Master.

Willow did not know the depth of it, but it may have been that kiss that saved the world.

"In the beginning, I didn't mean to," Willow began, hesitant and slow. "I thought you kissed everyone on the lips, some chaste peck, no doubt, and that I would be no different. I had never been kissed by a woman before, and the very thought of it was frightening, but I was determined to have my dream, no matter the cost. The money I knew about, but the kiss I did not. So yes, it began with you kissing me."

Willow blinked, and moistened her lips with her tongue, and Tara felt her heart expanding, to creak against the walls of her chest. "But then you looked so..." and here Willow paused a moment, looking at Tara oh so carefully, as if these words were only swords to duel with. "So lost, so fragile, so incredibly bereft of hope," Willow finally continued. "It had also been a very long time since I'd been decently kissed. When I discovered how good it felt to kiss you, hell, how incredibly freaking fabulous you tasted, with that current of sadness underneath, a longing and hope maybe even deeper than my own, I decided to kiss you back."

Willow was touching Tara's lips now as she spoke, cupping her hand under Tara's chin, her thumb grazing Tara's lower lip. Her gaze was mesmerizing, and every word she spoke was written in that precious and Drusilla-violated Willow-book of memories, a look to remember when Willow was gone, and every one of these Willow-moments just another method of torture when a new century came to pass, leaving the old one and everyone in it to the dust.

After her words, Tara immediately wanted to ask another question, for the careful acquiescence of this woman now was so contrary to the nature she had portrayed since that first day. That other Willow, the rapier-bearing and formidable Willow with the bandage on her arm and iron in her eyes, so strong and confident and bulletproof, who would not bend nor break, who would not willingly relinquish any form of control. How on earth did Willow come to trust her enough to let all her barriers down?

Only now, among the fruit, in the glow of naptha, did she get an inkling of the torment Willow must have felt when Tara rejected her at the end of their kiss that first day.

One thing was certain. Not counting whatever oath Willow had made for her, they were connected now, more than these limbs, this warmth, here in her kitchen surrounded by fruit.

To be continued on July 8 (another day off!) with 31: Angyles

Phoenix

Post subject: Re: The Apothecary - July 1 - Chapter 30: Fruit
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:58 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

dibs!!!

dear God, amazing as always ^^ I hope you´re ok ^^

and thanks for the update ^^

My Heart Draws a Dream
True Colors of Love

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:09 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I really like Tara's kissing/question game... I really hope that Tara very soon is able to reregognize Faith as Wilkins' henchbitch and warn Willow...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:02 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
Jen! Good to hear from you, I worry often when folks online disappear with no word. My mind goes to the darkest places quickly, so hi! So very glad you're alive.

It's astounding how well you pull readers back in. I swear, a year could pass between updates, two even, and in the span of a few sentences I'm completely immersed in this story as if I'd read it all over from start to finish.

Quote:
Samarkand
Ooh! Ooh! I know this! Who would have ever thought that a class I took last fall (on Islamic Art) would flare up in a fanfiction story? Delightful. Samarkand. Ancient mosques have been disintegrated and destroyed, swallowed back to the sands. But I got an A! Woot.

I'm fairly sure I've said this before, but it's so wonderful to see some banter sprinkled between Willow and Tara. And you do it so well. Big shocker there. The creativity in playing the fruit game (btw, yummy) in lieu of a straightforward chapter of Q&A was charming. Since I'm not at camp for the first summer in...13 years, it's been on my mind a bit lately. That fruit game really struck me as very counselor-like, taking a simple activity and spinning it into something special and infinitely more fun. In her X-thousand years on earth, was Tara ever a camp counselor? :P

Brava, as usual my dear. Thank you and good to see you back! Glad you got some good Revenant-ing in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:51 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Yay, update!!! You have an amazing way with words! I can almost taste them as I read. Also, loving the interaction between Willow and Tara. All so well done!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:26 pm 
5. Willowhand

This is just a heads up for a little writer/beta relationship demonstration/experiment a few of us thought might be fun to explore. After each chapter Phoenix posts, I will post original version with the edits I suggested. This will be done in a new thread in Beta Pens. At this stage, I'm not certain how useful you will find it but we'll see how it goes.

---
Beautifully done on this chapter, Phoenix! The use of flashback was perfect. And as I said before, I'd love to play this game!! Although I might question its appropriateness for camp, Rach!

Thanks for placating this sap, eh!
Happy Canada Day!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:34 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Well, since the whole reason I joined this board was so I could leave feedback for this story, I guess I'd better start typing, eh? :p (Since this is my first official feedback for you, I'll add a few comments that aren't based on this chapter in particular but on the story in general that I keep forgetting to mention when you come over to visit.)

As someone who likes to read a book in one session (and at top speed), I wasn't sure how easily I'd be able to pick up the story threads with so long between updates. However, little phrases sprinkled throughout this chapter reminded me of this event and that event and by the end of the chapter the whole mood of the piece had caused my mind to be flooded with the rest of the tale, so that's good. :)

However, there are some specific details I can't remember. Is this the first scene from Tara's POV since she met Faith? I went back to double-check and no, it's not. It's interesting that you now have her thinking that Faith seems familiar, after the chapter that reveals that she could/should have met Tara before. I wonder, though, if you shouldn't have put in a tantalizing hint of this before "The Jackal". I don't think it would spoil any of the surprises in that chapter, as there was already enough subtext earlier to make everyone think there had to be something up with Faith. Of course, if this is just an example of "writing by the seat of your pants" then I understand. :)

I find it interesting that you used "Samarkand" in this chapter, as the first book in that series I was telling you about which dealt with djinn and their enslavement by humans is called "The Amulet of Samarkand".

So your djinn are really supposed to only give out three wishes in a finite connection between master and slave? What were his three wishes then, I wonder, that she has been serving him so long?

Dreamberries... that's a great fruit for this world you've created that includes a maker of dreams! (Did you come up with it independently or were you channeling some ElfQuest there? ;) )

Quote:
The girl was so incredibly endearing that Tara could have fallen in love with her again if such love did not already lay siege to every corner of her jaded heart.

This is great! I can totally relate to this feeling, with just a seemingly insignificant act by your lover making you realize that it is, in fact, possible for you to love someone you already feel an infinite love for more and more each passing moment.

Somehow I enjoy your italicized interjections more here than in "The Lamb". Do I remember reading in the comments for that story that there was the first time you used them? If so, I think you've now mastered the art.

I really like seduction scenes, and wrapping it up in a game that can also reveal character history and personality insight, leading to more intimacy between people (and readers!) than just sex, more than puts a cherry on top--it makes the scene a pure gold fruit salad! ;)

Quote:
"Keep those eyes shut, Willow. I'm coming in."

Ha ha! Great line for a seduction scene! :laugh

So your djinn aren't immortal in a more classical sense, but are instead constantly dying and being reborn--and from a volcano, no less! (Oooh, like a Phoenix? ;) ) That's quite the interesting visual, including the fact that the rebirth was sometimes a "failure" and would have to be replayed again almost instantly.

I also love how Tara's question led to such a different kind of answer than Willow's question of her. I really wanted this chapter to last longer because I wanted some more back and forth questions and answers (and fruit! What other fruit were your girls going to choose?). You're not finished with this scene even though you're moving on to another chapter, are you? :aww

Uhm... is this the kind of feedback you were wanting from me when you asked me to join the board? I can't promise something this long every time you post a chapter (since I should be doing my own writing! :p ).

Oh, one more thing--I remember Jupiter! (I think; he seems to be a different breed in this story than what I remember.) It's great that she named her puppy after a painting she traded--but she still has Firebird! :-D Genius!!

Thanks to both Jens for this chapter! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:02 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Huzzah! I was so excited that you updated that I had to read this like 3 times before I was actually calm enough to focus on a single word. I think I may have a slight addiction to your story. Anyway, this chapter was wowzers! Fruit, indeed. I know I'm gonna have to re-read it at least once more because my brain has still yet to retain anything beyond the stuff directly related to the hotness of the fruit and the kissing and I'm pretty sure the stuff contained in the thinking and talking is actually very important. Because of that, this is going to be feedback-lite but I have a feeling life is about to get crazy busy so I thought I'd do it now before I forget. I totally love this chapter and I know I'll love it even more when my nemesis brain quits being all one-track and actually lets me enjoy it in its entirety. Thanks heaps for updating and, as ever, I'm very muchly looking forward to the next fix. Er, update.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:59 pm 
28. Com...plete

This was probably my favorite chapter yet, beautifully written. Glad to see this story's back :)

I hope, we'll have more happy ever after
I hope, we can all live more fearlessly...

~Jas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:41 pm 
3. Flaming O

Well what a juicy little update we have here.

I really love the psychological aspect to all of this, the mental gymnastics, the thrill of the chase, the head-sex if you will. The underlying tension positively bristles, the feeling that they are each walking the finest of lines is palpable and you just know that one wrong move in this game could lead to devastation and damnation.

As for the physical atmosphere you continue to create, it is so potent I can positively smell every scent and picture every shadow.

If this fic were a song, I would want nothing more than to play it on repeat until the end of the world.

Thanks for sharing
restlessminds

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:47 am 
12. Recently Gay

Once more I offer apologies for my lack of feedback for recent chapters - honestly, reading this without leaving comment or thanks feels like theft to me - isn't that weird?

Fruit was just so beautiful - intimate, sweet and ripe with possibilities - just like the kisses:)

Tara's origins in the Beerenburg Volcano are particularly intersting - if we now see her love for Willow as her new volcano, what kind of rebirth will she have - will she shiver and die on cold icy slopes of defeat against her collar, or will she bask in the warmth of a future living free?

Either way, it won't be an easy ride.

It could be just me, but is there any reason why I'm making biblical connections between the fruit and the knowledge they are imparting? Throw in kisses that may end up betraying them both and their whole little garden of eden could come tumbling down.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:08 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hi!!! Beautiful update as usual. Loved the food game, gave me a few ideas, hehe. Can't wait for the next one!! :pinky

Hector Avellan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:02 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hello everyone! I'm sorry it's late. The good news is I've completed the rival for my time - Revenant is finished. Well, this rewrite of it is at any rate. That leaves more time for The Apothecary and for life in general, which now includes some landscape design and always singing!

On to the feedback, and I'll have an update for you tomorrow (no foolin')

Nue - Congrats on the dibs. I'm doing fine - just busy. I'm glad to see you back and enjoying this fic. Sorry for the delay, and I hope you continue to enjoy the story.

Zampsa - I know I teased long enough about this chapter - I loved the idea of a kissing game and I thought you would, too! Enjoy the update!

Zooey's Bridge - Yes, alive is me. Good on you for the catch on Samarkand - isn't it neat when stuff shows up in fics? I looove throwing in cool little things like that, so keep your eyes open for more little treasures. And whatever camp you went to was soooo not the camp I attended as a kid. I would want to be a kid again, except it's way too scary. I'll just write about the good stuff and you can make up any memory you want!

Hmm. A genie as a camp counselor. That could go bad really fast...or it could just end up in a whole lotta cookies.

Thanks always!

TinyWillow - Thank you! I'm glad you can almost taste them. I want you readers to feel them, taste them, wallow in them, if you will. That's when the story gets inside your skin. Keep reading!

masterjendu - Thanks as always, especially for the double duty with the coming chapter. Looks like I'm upping my game, now that Revenant is done. Your edits always make these better than they were on their own. Good luck with the experiment in Beta Pens! (Some good stuff there for this update, yes?)

formerphoenix - Hello, my friend, and welcome to Pens! Thanks for officially becoming one of the kittens and leaving some positively amazing feedback. Indeed, your ruminations on Faith and Tara and how I could have sprinkled it in are indeed victims to the "writing by the seat of my pants" thing. I'm lucky if I leave myself more than three chapters of room to do any deliberate foreshadowing. Then again, I'm always sprinkling in hints here and there.

For dreamberries, I was definitely channeling Elfquest. I use what works, and I don't hesitate to "borrow" genius. I'm certainly borrowing a fair amount of His Dark Materials, so at least the Pini's know they are in great company!

You shall have to wait and see if I'm continuing with the whole fruit game in the next chapter. A whole day, no less! (Oh, I'm evil. Like the froo-its of the dev-il.)

That's cool that you remember Jupiter. Yes, our Jupi was a Shetland Sheepdog, but this one is a Husky. It was coincidence that there happened to be a Stradivarius violin named Jupiter - I exploit all coincidences I can, such as the inner parts being made of willow. I didn't know that, either.

And thank you for thanking Jen. She deserves thanks. See you soon!

Owl - Ok, my mind immediately went to pirate ships when you said Huzzah. I liked it. Made me feel like a buccaneer. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotness of the kissing and I hope you enjoyed the talking in between as well. Thanks so much for taking a moment to share, even when your brain was going kaputs on you. I appreciate it. Here's your next fix - er, sample?

CrazyTaraWitch - Oh, thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter so much. I needed to continue this story, so I'm pleased you are still enjoying it.

restlessminds - Dare I mention that I love reading your feedback? You always use such tantalizing and innovative sentences. For example:
Quote:
If this fic were a song, I would want nothing more than to play it on repeat until the end of the world.
Thank you so much. For reading, for sharing your comments, for letting me into your world. I appreciate it.

Paint the Sky - A great big Canadian howdy to you! Good to see you again. No worries about the lack of feedback - I'm happy when you come. I'm glad you enjoyed hearing about Tara's birthing, from one volcano or another. I've really enjoyed coming up with this particular world - so similar, yet so different to our own. We'll have to see if your Biblical leanings bear any fruit (sorry!) - will their Garden of Eden fail? I suppose I should know... maybe. Enjoy the next update!

ceridwen - Glad you were here and that you enjoyed the update. I hope all sorts of people got ideas from this. In fact, if you act on them, please whisper of it in my ear, okay?

That's everyone for now. Update tomorrow, after I get home from work.

Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:01 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

[center]~31~
Angyles
[/center]

As always, the taste of lychee reminded Willow of Berlin. Softly bitter, softly mocking.

And as always, the thought of Berlin led Willow to think of her Caravaggio painting, what she had sacrificed to acquire it, and what it was supposed to mean to her. The Cupid, triumphant over the riches of the world.

amor vincit omnia

Love was supposed to conquer all. The love that Buffy shared with Riley, the love that Xander created with Cordelia, the same love that had slipped through Willow's fingertips like so much sand. Until now.

Willow's fingers were eagerly wrapped in Tara's hair. The taste of lychee on Tara's lips was disintegrating under Willow's fiery attentions; she could not be content with a mere taste, now that she had found a love that should conquer all. Tara's touch was a livewire on her skin, an igniting brand, joy and agonizing desire melded together with velvet gasps for air.

The love hunger struck her so hard she reeled from it; Willow wanted nothing more than to subsume Tara and her desires, to feast on them before the eventual famine.

The Drakensdvaerder had taught her to live in the now, but Willow could not help but wonder if an empty future would yet reveal itself. How long would she be allowed to love Tara before being forced to kill or imprison her as they had killed and imprisoned so many demons of the underworld?

How long could she keep Tara secret?

Tara was breathless when Willow regretfully pulled away. Willow put her hands on Tara's knees as she ran her tongue over her lips, and the taste left no doubt within her; it was subtle, it was mocking, and it was Berlin.

It was Buffy dancing on the arm of the Commander of the Luftwaffe, her eyes casting about in a way that Willow could not quite comprehend. When had her face become so pinched, so pale?

now, Willow. Bury the past.

"Lychee," Willow said.

"Yes," Tara replied, her dimples hiding. This game, if it could even be called a game, was more like psychological warfare. Tara said that Eva had taught it to her; had it been in concept and idea only, or had there been lips involved?

Six thousand years, Rosenberg. She's bound to have kissed a few people, just as you have kissed a few in your significantly fewer years.

Willow's curiosity about volcanoes was certainly far from assuaged, but when Tara had asked her question

(Why did you kiss me the way you did, that first day?)

Willow knew what kind of question was fair game.

"Why did my dream go wrong?" Willow asked quietly. "I mean, you'd have a lot of unhappy clients and no repeat business if all their dreams went the way mine did."

Tara was close, and lit only by the gentle radiance of the naphtha lamp; Willow caught a glimpse of the ocean of immortality that roared within her, some alien quality, whether by the tilt of her eyes or the soft caress of shadow on her cheeks. It was yet another unwelcome reminder of the truth that Willow and Tara would eventually have to face.

Willow shut her mind on such talk. As she had been taught, only the now mattered.

The now, and justice by the sword.

(my first oath of the blood)

"I don't kiss clients on the mouth," Tara began, hesitating ever so slightly, and fidgeting a little closer. "I never have before you. But when I did, some of my nightly penance transferred to you; my nightmare. I have also never seen inside a dream before; usually my nightmares are composed on a global level, not individual. I experience the agonizings of all; wars and bloodshed and tortures and rapings, all as payment for the dreams I am compelled to make."

Words were weapons, and Tara was merely an arms dealer. Willow shared those words now, and would use them to execute vengeance on Tara's Master.

Could she possibly love Tara enough to redeem mankind?

And what question would Tara ask next?

Tara was already closing her eyes. Willow looked at the dreamberry; it was the one fruit here she was not allowed to partake of. Should she hide it? Should she mention it?

After a moment, she decided to leave it be; when it was Tara's next turn, she would mention it, and hope that Tara would need no explanation. Tara's intuition would likely scream of the answer, the link to the Drakensdvaerder, but at least Willow would break no oath.

Willow looked at the vast array of fruit and carefully picked a cherry. She took great care to liberally coat her lips with the dark juice of the exquisitely ripe cherry.

She leaned forward and grasped Tara behind her neck; she guided Tara's lips to hers. As Tara began kissing her, deeply, thoroughly, Willow tentatively let go of her over-processing brain, those rational parts of her mind that never seemed to shut up. It was a very brief and small surrender; she gave herself over entirely to the sensations that gripped her body. Not only the soft and firm pressure of Tara's lips, but also Tara's hands, caressing her spine, Tara's legs, gripping her.

Tara's breasts, glorious against hers.

Tara took her time, tilting Willow's mouth this way and that, controlling Willow's neck with her lithe fingers. Willow could never have determined how long they sat there and kissed, slow and tender kisses that snuck behind her heart and thickened her chest. Tara pushed lightly with her tongue, so Willow opened her mouth, and Tara gently grazed the inside of her cheek; when she accompanied that beautiful ravishment with a soft hand on Willow's breast, Willow's world seemed to fold in on itself completely; only sensation remained, of being swept out on a tide.

She had surrendered.

Willow felt nearly desolate when Tara pulled away. She recaptured Tara's lips for a hot and fiery extra minute before allowing the woman to retreat.

There was high and glorious colour on her cheeks, and her eyes were marvelously dark and enchanting. "Cherry," Tara said, touching Willow's lips with the tips of her fingers.

Willow kissed those fingers before replying, "Oh, yes." She drew one of those fingers into her mouth and was rewarded with a gasp. She kissed those fingers once more before managing to ask, "Your question?"

It seemed as if the Apothecary was flummoxed. Willow smiled as she then kissed Tara's palm, then the heel of her hand, and then she paused.

There was more than heat in Tara's gaze. There was hesitation as well, and barely concealed fear.

This was no game.

"Your dream, as you said, turned out so terribly wrong. Why did you come back to me?"

Tara was so warm, so fragile under Willow's hands; a gazelle hunted by jackals. There was such pain in her face. Looking into those darkened and distraught eyes, Willow found the courage where she had never looked for it before; it was tucked away behind her heart, the place that Tara had just touched. There she found the strength to tell the truth, and all of the truth, the truth of a warrior.

[center]*****[/center]

Willow had woken from her dearly purchased dream with the feeling of her favourite rapier in her hand, the hot bloody fingerprint of the Apothecary on her cheek. Sour bile coated her throat and shame and sorrow scoured her so deeply she prayed she would perish of it.

Love was there as well, chemical love, created by a chemist. It floated along her bones, sparked her nerves, made her weak with want.

She awoke and looked at the Cracker Jack ring on her hand, and found she could not think of Buffy at the fair, the Buffy before the agonizing summer training camps, the Buffy before the Drakensdvaerder made her into the Marshal General, or the Buffy who had carried Riley's child. She saw only the fallen Buffy, and then her own hand on her sword hilt, plunging into the body of the Apothecary known only as Tara.

The Apothecary, who would pay for what she had done. She would pay, one way or another, for this tainted dream.

Willow locked the Cracker Jack ring in a drawer, and Xander's old comics came to her mind; the soldiers who prepared for battle, their shields lifted and locked, sword partners ready to die for them. Willow's own shields, so precarious the day before, so somehow fragile before the damning luscious woman that was the Apothecary, were going right back up, right where they needed to be.

Hadn't she learned by now that being vulnerable equated to being hurt?

She should have known better than to let her guard down, especially for just a pretty face, especially for someone who kissed people for profit.

but I want her

To the vid screens, and her research, because if she was ever taught anything it was to know thy enemy.

(live for the now

justice by the sword)

That mark, in the crook of Tara's elbow. And then Jenny's face when she walked in and recognized it. Jenny, whose face had twisted in hatred and horror, and Willow could see the Gyptian as she had been the day Willow rescued her. The day of the extraction was a day of burning brands, of her hair singed with glowing faggots, of heated chains wrapped around her thighs, of pus oozing from old wounds and all about the broken Gyptian woman was the reek of the charnel house.

Then the shrieks of those falling to Willow's charmed sword.

After they had rescued Jenny from Alyanya's torture, they brought her back home where Joyce Summers brought her back to health. Only then did Willow really understand who it was that she had saved.

The next Queen of the Gyptians. What prophecy had she discovered to warrant such evil treatment, her capture and torture? Death had hovered close, had licked her, even as Willow had come with her justice by the sword.

"That mark," Jenny had admitted. "I recognize it."

That very day Jenny began to brew a potion of prophecy. Willow was not fooled - she allowed herself to be traipsed across the globe, seeking answers in all the wrong places just to buy Jenny enough time for the cordial to mature.

No such secrets could be kept from Willow. She had her own sources. To Rumania she went, and also to Tokyo.

To Ynys Dywyll, the Welsh isle of Anglesey, the land of the Cŵn Annwn hounds of the underworld and the legendary seat of King Arthur.

to the speaker for the dead

Angyles.

[center]*****[/center]

The blood offering had to be a female lamb.

Willow purchased the tiny bleating thing from a stout woman in the village; paying far too much in her haste and her limited Welsh. She could have used Xander's help with the translation, but she knew what she was doing was deeply against the rules. He could not understand, and he was in Persia.

Only vengeance mattered, revenge for Buffy's blood spilling into her most treasured memory. That was the day Willow found out that the friendship equation was in balance, that Buffy needed her as much as she needed Buffy, and that all she ever wanted was to be needed, to be valued, and more than just homework help.

The barrow of Bryn Celli Ddu was protected by a razorwire fence against mortal intruders, and an inversion of sight against immortal ones. Willow had a key to the fence, but could only advance ten steps before being compelled to stop.

It was there that she knelt with the lamb. The little body shuddered in her hands. Willow hated every moment of it and directed all that hate, all her malice and fear and rage into the similar destruction of the Apothecary, who would pay for what she had done. Even this kill, this deliberate murder, would somehow be leveraged onto the damnation of the woman in the den.

It was the day of summer solstice, and Willow killed the lamb exactly at midday.

The skies were a scrubbed blue above her, and the barrow was distinctive; a mound of earth protecting the magicks within. The inversion would protect her from sight, even though a peasant would walk right next to the razorwire fence. There were no trees here, and the blinded grass seemed to disdain the sunlight.

After pouring the blood into a gourd, Willow was able to continue her way up to the Mound of the Grove of the Deity. She was armed with her red-tasseled rapier and her boots made little sound upon the ground.

She stopped before the narrow entrance. A shiver of fear seemingly flensed her muscles; never in her life had she so wanted to run away, not even the time of her first real battle.

The conquering of that moment, that wildfire fear, that bone sapping terror, such an insignificant thing in the tidal waves of time, yet so essential. The mastery of that fear was the moment she broke her first oath of the blood, and she didn't even know it. She would not recognize that moment for the fulcrum it was for some months more, not until after Tara was gone, not until she would stand upon the crest of the barrow with a new blood offering of gazelle.

Her lips still burned with the memory of the Apothecary's kiss.

Willow stood her ground. Her shoulder-length red hair was pulled away from her face in her fighter's style, her clothing was molded to her skin; no looseness, no quarter. She shivered under the touch of the sun; her face was tight, and her lips near bloodless with the strain.

The gourd was warm, the blood was fresh.

With her finger she drew a line of blood along the lintel of the stone opening, and along the jambs. "I bring an offering," she whispered, hoping that the magicks did not care what language she uttered. As she had hypothesized, only the intent mattered.

She then thrust her rapier into the ground; it shivered slightly with force. No arms were allowed here.

Willow took a last deep breath before entering the barrow. The smell of earth and age was strong, but her need was stronger. She would dare this, and pray that the Council would understand should she be caught.

It was a Gordian Knot, all about Buffy.

Her pinky finger felt empty and abandoned; there was no cheap plastic ring upon it.

She was swallowed by the gullet of the mound, and a narrow staircase led down into the core of the earth. The darkness that consumed her was finally eased as she entered a wider avenue paved with flagstone and supported with solid buttresses; the light was a soft green.

Only as she entered fully did she become aware of what was creating this organic glow. She had to bite her tongue in surprise; dozens of tiny caged pixies, all forlorn in their little prisons, glowing with that everlasting and bitter green light. The beings did not look up as she walked by; was she invisible to them, or simply unremarkable?

She approached the only other humanoid in this room, who stood near a waist-high fountain at the far wall with his pale back to her. From his incredibly muscled shoulders emerged enormous wings of dark golden brown, and she was struck by the conspicuous absence of some dozen primary feathers like gaping tooth-like gaps in his wings. The shape and colour of those wings frighteningly resembled those of the impish Cupid in her Caravaggio painting, who had stood over the spoils of the earth in his dark eagle wings.

Had he been plucked for his most powerful magicks? More blood than one opened Bryn Celli Ddu.

He hadn't much freedom. A gleaming manacle was about one ankle, and the connecting chain that slid across the floor made absolutely no sound. It defied the laws of science, and Willow found herself strangely upset by it, as if she needed that chain to make noise as it slithered across the floor.

He did not turn around to address her. "What is your offering?" he asked, thankfully in English. He dipped his fingers into the swirling basin of water and from it shot forth light and a symphony of dark sound.

"I bear an offering of lamb," Willow replied, triumphant in the steadiness of her voice.

Only then did he turn around to reveal a strong and chiseled face, marked by ancient weariness and scorn. "You dare much, Willow Rosenberg."

Willow was unsurprised that he knew her name. Angyles knew many things, perhaps all things. It was what she had been depending on; Rumania, Tokyo, Ynys Dywyll; her search for truth had long ago passed the point of no return.

"My need is great."

"Then submit your offering to the Well of the Worlds, and invoke the knowledge of the Shades," he intoned, stepping aside so she could see the whirling basin of water. She did not hesitate; she strode forth and poured the lamb's blood in a steady stream upon the waters. Then she remained, waiting for instruction; her research had not revealed everything.

If the Council knew she had ciphered even this much of ancient magicks, she would be reprimanded, and severely.

"You may ask only one question," Angyles said.

Willow nodded, and set down the empty gourd.

"Thrust your hands into the basin."

Willow did as she was told. The water was surprisingly icy, and there seemed to be a very slim oily slick on the surface.

"Speak your intent."

Willow had considered her one question long and hard. She had penned a hundred different questions, searching for the one that would satisfy her deepest need. The answer she received was born of labour and time, not a gift from the gods. From them she had no gifts.

"What is the soul deep desire of the being known as Tara, the Apothecary?"

At first, Willow thought she had been cheated of her question, that the blood offering did not invoke the magick she had anticipated. Could her informant have betrayed her, was her sacrifice of the lamb in vain?

All that stared back from the basin of water was her own reflection. Constant. Steady. Strong.

Only after long minutes did Willow understand.

(she desires only me)

Then did the Well of the Worlds erupt in noise and furor; her hands were immobilized, and it seemed that the blood of the lamb etched a story right into her skin. A most terrible story, of the blighted earthly existence of the Apothecary, a horrifying recitation of disease and heartache and despair, collared and beaten and very nearly broken. Willow more than saw those images; she felt them branded into her soul, a wound deep and invisible. Her heart reaved inside her, for she also remembered the Rumanian boy and the casual cruelty of mankind.

Then the image altered its composition somehow, and she knew she was seeing one possibility of the future.

Tara, collared and insane, surrounded by a cadre of feral black panthers, underneath a sky boiling black and bruised. Her hands were bloodied and she laughed in creeping madness. Her fingers endlessly strummed against her collar in an endless litany of damned prayer.

That bruised sky above her ruptured, and from some dark tunnel emerged horrific locusts of destruction to feed on the bounty of mortal souls in the world.

Was the Well thinking of its preservation against the coming apocalypse? That to show Willow one future would be to deny that future any power?

From her youth, Willow had learned she could do all things.

Near her, Angyles fluttered his wings, and a single primary feather flitted to the unholy ground.

"The Shades have spoken," he said, and the spell was finished.

To be continued with 32: Comprehension

Phoenix

Post subject: Re: The Apothecary - July 15 - Chapter 31: Angyles
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:03 pm 
29. Miss Psycho-pep-squad

Ok I finally exit lurkerdom because this story is simply amazing. The last flashback was really powerful, because, she desires only her? The knowledge that Willow is the only real weapon against the Apotecary? Sent a shiver down my spine. :D Great fic!!

When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. -Arrigo Boito

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

ok, I should be working... but when I saw an update here, couldn´t think about work!!!

AMAZING!!!!

My Heart Draws a Dream
True Colors of Love

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:26 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I'm writing this as I'm reading through for the first time, so I can get all my first reactions in (and darn you Jen! I was supposed to be working on my own writing today! :p)

Is this the first time you mentioned that Xander and Cordelia were in love? The first time you mentioned them together in the same paragraph? Or has it been too long since I read the earlier chapters?

So how many other people has Willow kissed? And who were they all?

Was the sacrificial lamb a call out to "The Lamb"? ;-) (You know what I feel about innocents.)

Was Willow just lucky that she needed to ask her question during the time of the Summer Solstice? Or was there something else she could have done if the timing hadn't been right?

Quote:
She would not recognize that moment for the fulcrum it was for some months more, not until after Tara was gone, not until she would stand upon the crest of the barrow with a new blood offering of gazelle.

Not until after Tara was gone?! Darn the mid-chapter omniscient narrator of doom! :punish

Quote:
The beings did not look up as she walked by; was she invisible to them, or simply unremarkable?

This sentence gets an underline (as per your instructions for "Revenant" ;-) )

Quote:
All that stared back from the basin of water was her own reflection. Constant. Steady. Strong.

Only after long minutes did Willow understand.

(she desires only me)

I really like this, too. It's a twist on the oft-used reflection of yourself being an answer, since usually the question asked is of a personal nature and not about someone else.

Thanks, Jens! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 449 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next