The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Demon's Rage
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:16 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Hello. I've been lurking on this board for a while and reading the stories. Now I've started to write one. Please tell me what you think.

Title – A Demon’s Rage
Author – John Martin
Rating – R
Pairings – This is a Willow/Tara story, but it starts in the middle of Season 6 when they are broken up. It will be several chapters before Willow and Tara even kiss. There will also be some Anya/Xander, and maybe a tiny bit of Buffy/Spike.
Disclaimer – I do not own any of the characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I am writing this for fun, and not for profit.
Warnings – There will be angst. There will be cliffhangers at the end of chapters. There will be violence. There probably won’t be as much sex as some people want.
Feedback - Sure
Summary – D’Hoffryn is not angry.

Prologue

Saturday, April 20, 2002

It was beyond belief. D’Hoffryn was more than three millennia old, but he couldn’t remember ever being more astonished than he was now. His plans had been thwarted by a mere mortal girl.

Three years ago, when Anyanka had lost her power center, D’Hoffryn had refused to give her a new one. After all, Anyanka’s work had gotten a little sloppy. Her vengeance had begun to lack creativity. It would do her good to spend a few years as a mortal, make her more humble. Eventually D’Hoffryn would relent and allow her another chance. Anyanka would return to the fold and work all the harder.

Today that foolish mortal boy had refused to marry Anyanka. Her heart was broken. It was a golden opportunity. It was time to give Anyanka her power center back. D’Hoffryn was charming. He was persuasive. Yet in spite of that, everything went wrong.

Anyanka was with one of her friends. She was wearing one of those hideous bridesmaid’s dresses. She was barely an adult, a child really. She had some minor magical power, but nothing to compare with the power of the Lord of Arashmahaar.

Most humans were terrified of D’Hoffryn. But this girl was not. She had a kind of quiet courage, as if she had already faced powerful malevolence and survived. If she lived on the hellmouth, she probably had.

D’Hoffryn had offered Anyanka everything. He had offered her the power and immortality of a vengeance demon. Yet Anyanka’s friend had possessed the audacity to tell Anyanka to refuse.

Her arguments were childish. She said that she was Anyanka’s friend, that Anyanka had many friends. She, Buffy, Willow, and Dawn would all stand by her. As if the friendship of mortals mattered. As if friendship was more important than vengeance.

And then came the unforgivable insult. He was D’Hoffryn, the Lord of Arashmahaar. It was he who turned the air into blood, who rained fire upon the miserable, and who trod upon the prostrate bodies of the helpless. And this girl, this mere mortal child, had dared to say in his presence that vengeance was wrong.

“Anya,” she had said, “this isn’t the answer. Vengeance demons just make things worse. I remember all the stories you told us about the wishes you used to grant. I don’t remember one story in which the wisher was better off after the wish. Usually both the wisher and the wishee ended up dead.

“You feel awful now. Imagine some vengeance demon trying to make you more miserable. Imagine one trying to trick you into a wish that would kill both you and Xander.

“Anya, you’re better than this.”

And next came the part that D’Hoffryn could not believe. Anyanka had refused. Instead of listening to him, to the being who had been her mentor, advisor, and confidant for twelve hundred years, she had listened to her mortal friend.

So D’Hoffryn returned to Arashmahaar, alone. He wasn’t angry. It was unseemly for the Lord of Arashmahaar to be angry. He was annoyed, perhaps irritated. But he was not angry.

D’Hoffryn needed to plan. Anger clouded the mind and made planning difficult.

If “Anya” wanted to be a mortal, if she wanted to grow old and die, then so be it. It was a perfectly good punishment for her. But her friend deserved more. She deserved a masterstroke of vengeance, and D’Hoffryn would give it to her. Miss Tara Maclay would regret forever that she had dared to interfere with the Lord of Arashmahaar.

Last edited by John Martin on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: A Demon's Rage
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:31 pm 
3. Flaming O

Sweet! I am the first to post! I like the premise and especilly his thoughts on letting Anya live a full life. She was always one of my favorite charachters and I was so sad with how her characher ended up. Spells trouble for our favorite two though...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:29 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
Ooh, this is nifty. Very creative with D'Hoffryn being the initial pov-er, it gives the reader an interesting way to see the story. And it's infinitely more interesting than narrating it from Tara or Anya's point of view.

Can't wait to see more!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:29 am 
19. Yummy Face

Intetresting beginning... update-y goodness soon?

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:46 am 
29. Miss Psycho-pep-squad

Topics: 1
Ooooh interesting!!

When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. -Arrigo Boito

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:16 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

D’Hoffryn? Woo hoo! How exciting and original! I don't remember ever reading a story with him in it. Can't wait for an update.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:19 pm 
2. Floating Rose

I'm intrigued.....great start I'm really looking forward to more updates!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:39 pm 
28. Com...plete

Very cool, can't wait to see more :)

I hope, we'll have more happy ever after
I hope, we can all live more fearlessly...

~Jas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:38 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Oh, pop D'Hoffin's plotting against Tar...Interesting start, keep it up

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:34 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Zooeys_Bridge, my plan is to see how many different points-of-view I can get into one story. Buffy's is next.

Cup, Zampsa1975, jay/wt4evr, Red Sparrow, gottalovewillow, CrazyTaraWitch, & viximon, thank you for your encouragement.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:36 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Title – A Demon’s Rage
Author – John Martin
Rating – R
Pairings – This is a Willow/Tara story, but it starts in the middle of Season 6 when they are broken up. It will be several chapters before Willow and Tara even kiss. There will also be some Anya/Xander, and maybe a tiny bit of Buffy/Spike.
Disclaimer – I do not own any of the characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I am writing this for fun, and not for profit.
Warnings – There will be angst. There will be cliffhangers at the end of chapters. There will be violence. There probably won’t be as much sex as some people want.
Feedback - Sure
Summary – There’s a new demon in Sunnydale.

Chapter 1

Friday, April 26, 2002

Something was wrong with Willow.

Months ago, right after her resurrection, Buffy hadn’t noticed stuff like this. She still remembered how her first days back had been. All the colors of the world had somehow turned grey. All of the sounds were hollow and dull. And moving, talking, or even thinking had been really, really hard. Her friends and her sister had all seemed unreal, as if they were cardboard cutouts of themselves.

But recently, Buffy realized that she was getting better. She was noticing more. The world was now full of music from radios, the smells of flowers, and the faces of her friends. She could now read the signals that meant ‘Unhappy Willow’.

Willow wasn’t talking, studying, or typing on her computer. She was sitting in front of the television, but Buffy could tell that she wasn’t watching it.

So Buffy sat down on the couch next to her friend and asked, “What’re you doing?”

“Nothing much, watching the television.”

“Really? Then tell me what’s on.”

“Some nature show.”

“What’s it about?”

“It’s about … Yuck, frogs!” said Willow, as she grabbed the remote control and turned the television off.

“Is something wrong, Will?”

“No, Buffy, nothing’s wrong. No, no… well, yes.”

“Maybe you’ll feel better if you tell me about it.”

So Willow told her story. “It’s like everything’s gone wrong with Tara and I don’t know why. Last week, at the wedding, I was having a really good time. This was before that demon showed up and the wedding went all blammo. But it was really nice at the start. I was with Tara and we were talking and smiling and I thought that she wanted to be friends again. And us being friends could be a step toward us being more-than-friends.

“And Tuesday night, Tara called me on the phone and we talked. I mean, she just called me to chat and stuff. I was so happy.

“I thought that she would call me again on Wednesday or Thursday, but she didn’t. But I didn’t want to call her ‘cause I didn’t want her to think that I was all clingy stalker girl.

“So this morning I ran into Tara at school, and I wanted to talk to her, but she said she had to go to class. But I looked at a clock and it was 11:45. Who has a class at noon? That’s lunchtime. Tara must have wanted to get away from me.

“Buffy, I think that I must have said something wrong. I think Tara doesn’t want to be my friend. I think she must still hate me.”

At this point, Buffy had to interrupt. “Will, Tara doesn’t hate you. She could never hate you.”

Willow said, “Then why was she avoiding me, like I was some kind of avoidable, not-a-friend person?”

Buffy was about to suggest that Willow call Tara, but she didn’t get the chance. She was interrupted by loud knocking at the back door.

‘Gee, I wonder if I need a weapon?’ Buffy thought to herself. ‘Nah, if they wanted to kill me, they wouldn’t knock, they’d just break the door down.’

A floppy-eared demon stood at the back door. ‘No, that’s not right,' thought Buffy.

A droopy-faced demon stood at the back door. ‘No, that’s not any better,' thought Buffy.

A wrinkly-skinned demon was at the back door. ‘Heck, I’m not sure how to describe him,' thought Buffy. At any rate, it was Clem.

“Hey, Buffy,” said Clem.

“Hey, Clem,” said Buffy.

Clem said, “I saw something really strange last night, and I thought that you might want to know about it.”

“Oh,” said Buffy to Clem. “Why don’t you come in, and we can talk about it.”

“Clem wants to tell us something,” said Buffy to Willow.

“Would you like anything to drink?” asked Willow. “Tea or Coffee?”

“Do you have any beer?” asked Clem.

“No, no beer,” said Willow as she looked in the refrigerator. “We have orange juice.”

“Orange juice would be fine,” said Clem.

Soon, Buffy, Willow, and Clem sat down with their drinks, and Clem told his story.

“Last night, around 11, I was walking home from Spike’s place, and I saw this girl walking through the cemetery. She looked like a college student. She looked vaguely familiar, but I never got a good look at her face.

“So I say to myself, what’s that girl doing in the cemetery in the middle of the night? Doesn’t she know any better? Some vampire is going to make a meal out of her for sure.

“So I decide to help her out. I figure that if I sneak up on her, and startle her, and show her my best scary face, she’ll run home and no vampire will eat her.

“So I start to quietly move toward her, but before I can get close, a vampire jumps her. That’s when things got weird.

“All of a sudden, the girl changed. Her fingers grew longer and turned into claws. The vampire hit her, but she just stood there, like she wasn’t even hurt. Then she hit back.

“It was over in seconds. The vampire never had a chance. She got her claws into his neck, and pulled his head off. That vampire was dust.

“Buffy, I don’t fight something unless I have to. After seeing that, there was no way I was going to mess with her. So I snuck away as quietly as I could.”

“So let me get this straight,” said Buffy. “There’s a demon walking around Sunnydale at night, disguised as a human girl.”

“Maybe there’s a girl who can turn into a demon,” said Willow. “And she killed a vampire, so maybe she’s a good guy.”

“We don’t know that,” said Buffy. “We don’t even know if she’s a she. It could be a he-demon who can turn into a girl. Or even an it-demon.”

“But if she’s killing vampires, wouldn’t that make her a good demon, like Clem?”

“Maybe. But what if it’s killing both vampires and people?” said Buffy.

“If she’s killing people, then I guess you have to slay her,” said Willow. “But if she’s killing only vampires, you should make friends with her.”

Clem said, “If you make friends with her, can you please tell her that I’m a friend too? So she doesn’t try to kill me.”

“Sure, Clem,” said Buffy.

That night Buffy patrolled Sunnydale, looking for vampires and for Clem’s mysterious demon. Buffy carried a sword, in case the demon turned out to be unfriendly.

It was a quiet night. Buffy had only found and killed one vampire. Actually, the last couple of nights had been quiet. Buffy had just decided to head for home, when she heard the distinctive roar of a vampire turning to dust. Buffy ran towards the sounds of fighting.

Buffy quickly found the battle. A lone demon was fighting two vampires at once.

‘Great,’ thought Buffy. ‘I’ll let the demon and the vampires fight, and then I’ll only need to slay whoever’s left’.

Both of the vampires were male. One of them was short and skinny, the other was taller and heavy-set. As Buffy watched, the demon knocked the skinny vampire to the ground, and then traded blows with heavy one. The vampire’s fists didn’t seem to be hurting the demon, but the demon’s claws were definitely cutting into the vampire. The skinny vampire got up and tried to attack, but a backhanded blow from the demon sent him right back to the ground.

As the heavy-set vampire became more and more wounded, he got slower and slower. Soon he could not block the demon’s blows. The demon drove its claws into the vampire’s neck, and sliced off the vampire’s head. The vampire turned to dust.

The skinny vampire turned and ran from the demon in a panic. He was so intent on getting away from the demon that he wasn’t watching where he was going. He ran straight towards Buffy. So Buffy raised her stake and let the vampire impale himself on it. Now both vampires were dust.

The demon turned and looked at Buffy. Buffy dropped her stake, and drew her sword.

‘This must be the demon Clem saw,’ thought Buffy. ‘If it attacks, I’ll kill it.’

But the demon did not attack. It just stood there. No, it wasn’t an it, it was a she. Except for the claws and the face, the she-demon looked just like a human woman. A woman with bright yellow skin. She was wearing clothes; sneakers, sweatpants, and a UC Sunnydale sweatshirt.

The demon opened her month, and sounds came out. “Uff…Uff”

‘How can so many sharp teeth fit into a head that small?’ thought Buffy.

“Uff?” said the demon.

‘Is she trying to talk to me?’ thought Buffy. ‘Maybe all those teeth are in the way, so she can’t talk.’

And then the demon began to change.

Buffy had been a slayer ever since she was sixteen. She had seen so many strange things that she was hardly ever surprised by anything. Demons with sharp claws? Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. Demons that transform? So last year. But what Buffy saw now was so astonishing, she dropped her sword.

It wasn’t the demon that shocked Buffy. It wasn’t the way that the demon transformed into a human woman before Buffy’s eyes. What was shocking was the human that the demon turned into.

The demonic skin lost its yellow hue. The demonic face morphed into a human one. It was a face Buffy knew. It was the face of a friend. When the transformation was complete, it was Tara who stood before Buffy.

Tara looked Buffy straight in the eyes and said, “Buffy, I want you to kill me.”

Last edited by John Martin on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:21 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I hope Buffy takes Tara to see Willow and the Scoobies so that they could work out how to de-demonize... I hope Willow doesn't freak out too much when they find out what has happened...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:05 am 
10. Troll Hammer

whoa. things just got a wee intense, didn't they?

I really like the way you're writing. I'm a fan on multiple character perspectives to tell a story. Sometimes it makes it more interesting and that's certainly the case here. Don't hurt Tara, Buff! There's something fishy going on in Sunnydale!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:01 pm 
29. Miss Psycho-pep-squad

Topics: 1
Uh.Wow. Kinda, wow. Yeah, that. Buffy please de-clueless yourself and don't hurt Tara!

When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. -Arrigo Boito

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:01 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

This is a very intriguing story and I look forward to seeing where you take it.

You've shown incredible depth and growth for the group already. Anya has always worn her heart on her sleeve and over the thousand years of her life, has never gotten over being wounded. Refusing D'Hoffryn's offer shows an immense amount of strength. It will be interesting to see how you further utilize her in your story.

Tara's ability to convince Anya what she really already knew shows the strength she's developed over time. Finally confident enough to speak her mind, but still frightened of the parts of herself she doesn't know.

And finally Buffy...I'm glad it didn't take almost ending the world for her to notice her friends are hurting. I think it's a good sign she dropped her weapon when she saw Tara, rather than raise it.

Once again, wonderful opening!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:11 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Zooeys_Bridge, I'm going for intense. I want some chapters to end on cliffhangers. Please tell me if I overdo it.

ophelia11, I guess that there are three hidden assumptions to my story. 1) Tara and Anya are much better friends than was shown on TV. 2) In the TV episode, D'Hoffyrn approached Anya when she was alone. In my story, D'Hoffyrn approached Anya when she was talking to Tara. 3) Buffy gradually overcame her depression; it didn't happen all at once like the TV show implied.

Zampsa1975 and jay/wt4evr, thank you for your comments.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:13 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Title – A Demon’s Rage
Author – John Martin
Rating – R
Feedback - Sure
Summary – Tara wants to die.

Chapter 2

Tara had just said, “Buffy, I want you to kill me.”

Buffy was too shocked to say anything.

“My father was right about me becoming a demon. He was just wrong about when it would happen.”

“No,” said Buffy.

“I’m an evil demon,” Tara insisted. “You’re the slayer. It’s your job.”

“I can’t,” said Buffy.

Tara was crying now. “Every night I change into an inhuman thing. I get angry, so very angry. Every night I have to kill something. Buffy, I don’t want to live like this.”

Buffy was crying too. “Please, please don’t ask me.”

Tara was almost shouting. “I’d rather die than live like this. I need you to kill me!”

Buffy said, “If you die, it will break Willow’s heart.”

Tara said nothing.

After a moment, Buffy said “If I have to kill you, it will break Willow’s heart, and Dawn’s heart, and mine.”

Buffy and Tara stood and silently looked at each other. Buffy watched the tears running down Tara’s face.

Buffy said, “I saw you kill a vampire. Have you killed any people?”

“Not yet,” said Tara. “But I’m afraid that it’s only a matter of time before I do.”

“Let’s get out of this cemetery,” said Buffy. “Let’s go someplace private and talk.”

“My dorm room is close,” said Tara.

“Lead the way,” said Buffy, as she picked up her sword and her stake.

As they walked in silence through the night, a million thoughts swirled through Buffy’s head. ‘How could this happen? And why did it happen to Tara? She’s one of the nicest people I know.’

‘If Tara is a menace,’ thought Buffy, ‘I will have to kill her. But I don’t want to. There has to be another way.’

Buffy soon recognized where Tara was leading her. They walked together through the UC Sunnydale campus to Stevenson Hall.

Tara unlocked her dorm room and opened the door. She and Buffy walked into the room. Buffy looked around and saw that something was missing.

“Tara, where are all your posters? Where are your little twinkly lights?”

“I didn’t feel like putting them up. This room isn’t home. It’s just a room.”

‘Right,’ thought Buffy. ‘Tara’s home is where Willow is.’

“So when did this demon stuff start?” asked Buffy.

“Wednesday night,” replied Tara. “In the mornings, I’m ok. But at night, I have to turn into a demon. I get an urge to kill. I can’t fight it. It’s overwhelming.”

“So why didn’t you tell me?” asked Buffy.

“I was scared,” said Tara.

“You thought I would kill you.”

“Yes. I still think you should.”

“No, don’t talk about dying,” ordered Buffy. “Tara, you have friends. Friends who will help you.”

“You can’t tell them. You can’t tell Willow. If Willow finds out that I’m a demon… She’s going to hate me.”

“No, Tara. Willow could never hate you.

“You weren’t around for all the drama with Oz. He had to lock himself up three nights a month. Sometimes the wolf got loose. Two or three times he tried to kill Willow. Willow stuck by him anyway. And I know, I know, that she loves you a lot more than she ever loved Oz.”

“Maybe you could lock me up?”

“That might work,” said Buffy. “You know, Willow’s all upset because you avoided her today. She thinks you hate her.”

“No,” said Tara. “I was just trying to stay away from her, to keep her safe. I’m not safe anymore.”

‘This is so messed up,’ thought Buffy. ‘I guess it’s up to me to take charge. There’s got to be a way to fix Tara’s demon problem. And then maybe Willow and Tara can get back together.’

“You’re ok in the mornings, right?” said Buffy. “Can you be at the Magic Box at nine tomorrow morning?”

“Yes,” said Tara.

“So we’ll get the Scoobies together tomorrow morning and research this. Tara, promise me you won’t do anything drastic. Give us a chance to figure out how to fix this.”

“But if you can’t…” Tara started.

Buffy interrupted her. “We can. We can and we will. Tomorrow at nine, ok?”

“Ok,” said Tara. Buffy thought that she could see hope in Tara’s eyes.

“Then I’ll see you tomorrow.” Buffy turned toward the door. Then she remembered something. “If you run into Clem, don’t kill him.”

“Of course not,” said Tara.

Last edited by John Martin on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:23 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

hahah! That was such a dark chapter, and then you gave us a glimmer of humor there. Nice one, Buffy "don't kill Clem". Classic. I sure hope the Scoobs get to the bottom of this!

And don't worry, cliffhangers are good, keep 'em coming!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:02 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... Don't kill clem line was funny... I wonder why Buffy didn't mention anything about killing Spike...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:08 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

I read thwo chapters on a row! Yippie!
And HolyMolly chapters! The plot is great. So that was D'Hoffin's plan or is some Hellmounth mess?
Anyway, the fic is cool, keep it up :peace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:38 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Zampsa1975 and Zooeys_Bridge, Buffy was keeping the promise she made to Clem in the previous chapter. Spike will show up in this story, but it may be a few chapters.

viximon, the good news is that what's happened to Tara will be explained. The bad news is that it may be many chapters before that happens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:40 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Title – A Demon’s Rage
Author – John Martin
Rating – R
Feedback - Sure
Summary – Tara tells her story.

Chapter 3

Saturday, April 27, 2002

On Saturdays, Willow didn’t set her alarm clock. She woke when the sunlight came peeking through her window. The first thing she did upon waking, the first thing she always did, was to look around her room. She was alone. That made 171 nights in a row sleeping alone, without Tara.

Willow showered, dressed, and went downstairs. Buffy and Dawn were in the kitchen. Buffy was cooking.

“Scrambled eggs for breakfast,” said Buffy.

“And this time, I checked for little bits of egg shell,” said Dawn.

“Don’t listen to her,” said Buffy. “Her idea of breakfast was banana and marshmallow omelets.”

“I don’t think marshmallows in an omelet is a good idea,” said Willow. “Bananas might work though.”

“How about a banana and cheese omelet?” said Dawn.

“Make one tomorrow and I’ll help you eat it,” said Willow.

Buffy placed scrambled eggs and toast on three plates, and everyone sat down to eat. They talked between bites.

“Are we still having a Scoobie meeting?” asked Willow.

“Yes,” said Buffy. “Dawn, I’d like you to come.”

“I was going to hang with Janice today,” said Dawn.

“Dawn, I really need your help with the research. Xander left town after the wedding and he hasn’t come back yet. I asked Anya to come, but I don’t know if she will feel very researchy.”

“You’re really going to let me help with research? No, this is a trick. We’ll get to the Magic Box and then you’ll tell me to do my homework instead.”

“It’s not a trick. You can leave your schoolbooks here. We’re going to have a real Scoobie research-fest, you, me, Willow, and Tara.”

“Tara’s going to be there?” asked Willow. “I have to change clothes.”

“Tara’s not going to care what clothes you are wearing,” said Buffy.

“I’ll be right back.”

Willow rushed upstairs to her room and searched her dresser. Where was it? The pink sweater with the big yellow flower. The one that Tara gave her, months ago, before Willow messed everything up. There it was. Yes, it would go with the burgundy skirt she was already wearing. Quickly she put on the sweater.

“Will, are you ready?” called Buffy from downstairs.

“Just a minute,” Willow replied.

Willow brushed her teeth, and her hair. She came back down the stairs and asked “Do I look ok?”

Dawn smiled and said “You look fine.”

Buffy didn’t smile. She just said “Let’s go.”

It was a beautiful spring day, but Willow didn’t notice. All she could think of was Tara. She was going to see Tara.

When they got to the Magic Box, Tara was already there. Willow’s heart leapt at the sight. Tara was beautiful this morning. Tara was beautiful every morning. Not to mention every afternoon, every evening, and every night.

But something was wrong. Tara wore an old faded dress. She was looking down at the ground. She was sad. Why was Tara sad?

“Sorry we’re late,” said Buffy, as she unlocked the front door of the shop.

“That’s ok,” said Tara. “I only got here a couple of minutes ago.”

They all sat down in a circle around the table. Willow asked “What are we researching? The demon that Clem saw?”

“Yes,” said Buffy. “I ran into that demon last night. You were right, Will. The demon is a good guy, no, a good girl. She doesn’t want to be a demon. And I promised that we would help her.”

“So tell us all the details,” said Willow. “You see Dawn, the more we know about a demon, the easier it is to find it in the books.”

“You didn’t tell them,” said Tara.

“No, I didn’t,” said Buffy.

“Tell us what?” asked Dawn.

Willow had a sinking feeling in her stomach. Somehow she knew that something awful was about to happen.

“It all started Wednesday afternoon,” said Tara. “I was walking back to my room after class when I thought that I saw my father. For a moment, I was scared that he was going to try to take me away. Then I realized that it wasn’t my father. It was just another man who looked like him.

“So I started thinking about my father and my brother Donny and how they treated me. They wanted to control me. They wanted me to stay home and give up my life.”

“They lied to you,” said Willow.

“No, they didn’t,” said Tara. “After dinner, I got a phone call from Donny. He was talking about driving down to Sunnydale and picking me up. I asked him what on earth he was talking about. Donny told me that someone had told him that I was sick of college and wanted to come home. So Donny was planning to drive to Sunnydale and pick up me and all of my stuff.

“I got mad. I yelled at Donny. I told him that I wouldn’t live in the same house as him if it was the last house on earth. Then I hung up on him.”

“Good for you,” said Dawn.

“No, Dawnie, it wasn’t good,” said Tara. “Once I got angry, I couldn’t calm down. I kept thinking about how Dad and Donny had treated me. How they treated my mother.

“Willow, you remember when Joyce died? And Xander got so angry, he punched a hole in the wall with his fist. Well, I felt like that. I wanted to punch the wall.

“I was pacing in my room and getting madder and madder. Finally, I couldn’t stand it anymore. I went outside. I thought that I would walk around the campus and it would help me calm down. But it didn’t.

“I was walking really fast. There was this guy in front of me on the sidewalk, walking slowly. He was a big guy, a football player maybe. I was mad because he was in my way. So I shoved him and he fell down.

“Part of me was saying, ‘What are you doing? Why did you shove him? You could have just walked around him.’ But another part of me wanted more, wanted to hit him, to really hurt him.

“The big guy got up. For a moment, I could see that he was angry, that he wanted to shove me back. But then his expression changed. I don’t know what he saw when he looked at me, but his face filled with fear. He turned and ran away.

“I wanted to chase him. I wanted to chase him down, and kill him. The feelings were so strong. It was all I could do to resist them.

“I looked around at the other students, walking to their night classes. I wanted to kill them. They had never done anything to me. But I wanted to kill them all.

“I was afraid that I would murder someone. So I ran. I ran away from the campus, away from all the people. I ended up on a dark, deserted street in downtown Sunnydale, at night.

“So of course a vampire attacked me. He walked right up to me and punched me in the face. But it didn’t hurt. He hit me again, harder. That hurt a little.

“I realized that here was something I could kill, something that deserved to die.

“I had all this anger, all this rage, built up inside me. I had been trying desperately to hold the anger back, but now I let it go. I yielded to my anger, and I changed. My skin turned yellow. My fingers became claws. I could feel my face shifting and my teeth growing.

Tara began to cry. “My father was right. My family was right all along. I’m an evil demon, just like they said.”

Willow couldn’t understand it. It wasn’t fair. Why did everything bad happen to Tara? First Glory steals her brain, and then her stupid girlfriend casts spells on her, and now this.

Willow watched as Dawn stood up and stepped towards Tara. Dawn tried to hug Tara. Tara flinched away, as if she didn’t want to be touched. But Dawn either didn’t notice, or didn’t care. She put her arms around Tara anyway.

That should be me. I should be the one holding Tara, comforting her. But I lost the right to do that. I was so stupid, I drove Tara away.

Am I jealous of Dawn? No, of course not. I’m glad that there’s someone to hug Tara. She deserves it. All I can do now to make Tara feel better is talk.

“Even if you are a demon,” said Willow, “You’re not evil. You can’t be.”

“Even if you are a demon,” said Buffy, “We’re still your friends.”

“Even if you are a demon,” said Dawn, “We still love you.”

“I… I don’t deserve this,” said Tara.

“Yes, you do,” said Willow. Before she could stop herself, Willow reached out and gave Tara’s hand a squeeze. Would Tara mind Willow touching her? Apparently not. Willow saw a smile struggling to appear on Tara’s face.

“What happened next?” asked Buffy.

“What?” said Tara.

“Your story. It was Wednesday night. A vampire attacked you. You went all demony. What happened next?”

Dawn returned to her chair, and the three girls listened as Tara continued.

“I hit the vampire, and he hit me. His blows barely hurt me, but my claws cut into him. I never could fight before, but now I was fighting a vampire and winning.”

“But that’s good,” said Dawn.

“No, it’s not good at all. When I hurt the vampire, it made me happy. When I heard him cry out in pain, I wanted to laugh.

“Don’t you see, Dawn? I took pleasure in another’s pain. I’m not me anymore.”

For a moment, no one said anything. Then Buffy said “If you’re killing vampires, you can’t feel sorry for them. They kill people. They need to die.”

“You’re right,” said Tara, “But it shouldn’t be fun to fight them.”

Tara went back to her story. “Soon I knocked the vampire unconscious. It was time to finish him off. I thrust one claw through the vampire’s chest and into his heart.

“It didn’t work. The vampire didn’t turn into dust. It took me a moment to realize my mistake. My claws were claws. They weren’t wood. To kill the vampire, I needed another way. I cut through the vampire’s neck with my claws. When his head came off, he turned to dust.

“Once the vampire was dead, I calmed down. My claws shrank back into fingers. I was human again. So I went back to my dorm room.

“The next morning, I woke up and said to myself ‘That couldn’t have happened. It must have been a dream.’

“So I went to class. The door to my classroom was locked, but I didn’t notice. I pulled on it, and when it didn’t open, I pulled harder. The door broke.”

“I’ve done that,” said Buffy. “I’ve accidentally broken locked doors.”

“Yeah,” said Tara. “Because you’re the Slayer and you’re really, really strong. And now I’m really strong too.

“You know what this means? I always have a demon’s strength. I look human now, but I’m really a demon all the time.”

“Oh God, Tara,” said Willow. “I’m so sorry.”

“So that morning,” said Tara, “I went to my classes. I tried not to touch anything; I didn’t want to break things.

“In the afternoon, things got worse. I got irritable and crabby. I got angry at little things, at things that didn’t matter. Late in the afternoon, I got angrier and angrier. And when the sun set, my urge to kill returned.

“So I dressed up in old sweat clothes. I ran through Sunnydale, pretending to be a jogger. Three times a vampire took the bait. Three times I grew claws and killed the vampire.”

Buffy said “Last night, I was wondering why you were dressed like that. Disguising yourself as a jogger, that’s a good plan.

“This is what we’re going to do. We’re going to hit the books and find out what kind of demon Tara’s turned into. And tonight, Tara, you aren’t going out by yourself to fight vampires.”

“Buffy, I have to. Otherwise I’ll hurt someone.”

“Tonight you and I are going out to fight vampires together. That way, you can watch my back, and I can watch yours. You’re our friend, and we are going to get you through this.”

Willow watched Tara’s face as she slowly began to smile.

“Thank you,” said Tara, as she looked at her three friends.

Then Tara turned to Willow, and her face became more serious. “Willow, can we go into the back room and talk? There’s something I need to tell you.”

Last edited by John Martin on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:22 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

what's the talking about?
tell us pleeaseee :kgeek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I really really hope that the talk between Tara and Willow isn't about Tara not wanting to see Willow again... Tara really need Willow's love...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:17 am 
2. Floating Rose

Uh oh! What a cliffhanger!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

NO FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too big of a cliffhanger!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:44 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

wow... I just love fics about the time when W/T aren´t together in S6... you know, all the angst and the plans of make up...
thanks! :wtkiss

My Heart Draws a Dream
True Colors of Love
A Crazy Little Thing Called Mutation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:05 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Nue, tacoda13, gottalovewillow, Zampsa1975, and arsyadriani, thank you for reading my story.

I made a bunch of notes of all the events I wanted to put into this story. I figure that this story will be around 45 chapters long. Since it's taken me two months to write about 10 percent of the story, I figure it will be complete around July 2010. Maybe I need to write quicker.

Chapter 4 will be posted tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:08 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Title – A Demon’s Rage
Author – John Martin
Rating – R
Feedback - Sure
Summary – Tara talks to Willow. Willow becomes Research Girl.

Chapter 4

Willow followed Tara into the training room of the Magic Box. Willow’s mind was racing a mile a minute.

Tara wants to talk to me. That’s a good thing, right? But why does she want to talk to me in private? She has something to tell me. Is it something bad?

Willow’s thoughts were interrupted by Tara’s voice. “Willow, I want to apologize.”

“Apologize? For what? For being a demon? Tara, that isn’t your fault.”

“Buffy told me that you were upset. I avoided you yesterday, remember? At lunch time?”

“I remember.”

“I had to avoid you. I had to keep you safe.”

“Safe? From what?”

“From me. I get angry so easily now. Yesterday, I was scared that I would grow claws and hurt you. So I left, as quickly as I could.”

“I understand. You’re still angry about the forget spell. God, I’m so sorry.”

“No, Willow, don’t. You’ve already apologized, and I’ve already forgiven you. I thought about this a lot yesterday afternoon. If I were still angry with you, even a little bit, it would have come out. But when I thought about you, I wasn’t angry at all. If anything, I was calmer. I really have forgiven you.”

“So we’re still friends?”

Tara looked down and said, “Do… Do you still want to be friends with an evil demon?”

The look on Tara’s face broke Willow’s heart. Tara looked so dejected, so unsure. For the first time in months, she looked like the incredibly shy girl that Willow remembered from her freshman year.

“Don’t say that! You’re not evil, not at all.” The words poured out of Willow’s mouth. “When Oz changed into a wolf, he had no control. He attacked anything that moved. We had to lock him up every month.”

“But you’re different. Yeah, you kill something every night. But you get to choose. You choose to kill vampires instead of people. How many have you killed?”

After a moment, Tara answered “Six”.

“You’ve killed six vampires. If the average vampire kills one person a week, then you’ve saved six people a week. That’s 312 people a year.

“Don’t ever say that you’re evil! If you fight vampires every night, then you aren’t a monster or a menace, you’re a hero!”

“So we’re still friends?” asked Tara.

“Yes!” said Willow. And Willow saw Tara smile. Willow smiled back. For a moment, they stood there, gazing into each other’s face.

It was on the tip of Willow’s tongue. Willow was tempted to ask Tara whether they could be more than friends, whether they could get back together. But that would be selfish. Tara was going through something horrible. She didn’t need weak, whiney, ex-girlfriend girl. She needed strong, supportive, best friend girl. She needed…

“Research Girl.”

“What?” said Tara.

“Before I was Magic Girl, I was Research Girl. And I was good at it. That’s what you need now. You need someone to figure out what’s happened to you and how to fix it.”

“Thank you,” said Tara.

Willow and Tara walked back into the main room of the Magic Box. Buffy and Dawn were already at work. Buffy was reading Burton’s Demons of Africa. Dawn was reading Lawrence’s One Thousand and One Arabian Demons. Tara started to read Legends of the Etruscans by the Emperor Claudius. With Giles in England, Tara was the best person to read the Latin books.

Willow started her research the same way she always did. She turned to a blank page in her notebook, picked up her pencil, and organized her thoughts. What did she know about Tara as a demon? What exactly was she looking for in the books? Willow began to write.

1) Demons with Sharp Teeth

This really wasn’t a very helpful clue, since almost all demons had mouths, and almost all mouths had teeth.

2) Demons with Sharp Claws

This was more helpful. It eliminated any demons without claws.

3) Angry Demons

Only a little help. Many demons became angry, usually just before Buffy slew them.

4) Demons with Yellow Skin

Now here was a useful clue. Demons came in many different colors, so knowing the exact hue was a big help in identifying them.

“Tara,” said Willow. “I have to ask you an awful question. When you change, and your skin turns yellow, what’s the exact shade of yellow?”

“It’s ok. My skin is about the same color as the skin of a lemon.”

Willow used her eraser, and then wrote;

4) Demons with Lemon Yellow Skin

5) Demons that Transform

Here was another useful clue. Most demons kept the same shape for their entire life. Demons that could change shapes were rare.

6) Hereditary Demons

This clue wasn’t as useful as it seemed. People rarely observed a demon’s reproductive habits and lived to tell the tale, so the books were usually silent on this point.

Willow looked at her notebook. She had six things to look for. If she could find a demon in the books with these traits, then she would have found Tara’s demon.

So she began with Sir Thomas Scrope’s Fantastical Bestiary. Willow had long ago concluded that its descriptions of demons were very accurate, once you got past the Elizabethan English. Willow didn’t have to read every word. She only needed to read enough about a demon to figure out if it fit any of the six clues.

Half an hour later, Willow finished the Fantastical Bestiary. Whatever type of demon Tara had become, it wasn’t in that book. But something wasn’t right. One of her six assumptions didn’t make sense.

“Tara,” said Willow, “When you were a kid, did you ever see your mother get angry?”

“A couple of times. Once Donny ate all the leftover pie and she yelled at him.”

“She yelled. Did she turn yellow? Did she grow claws?”

“No.”

“Did she go out every night and kill something?”

“No, of course not,” said Tara.

“What are you saying, Will?” asked Buffy.

“We’ve been thinking that Tara was born a demon, that her mother was a demon. It’s what her father said. But it’s not true. Tara’s mom didn’t change color or grow claws. She wasn’t a demon. Tara, when we broke up, you were mad at me, right?”

“Yes.”

“You didn’t turn yellow then. And remember on your birthday, when Spike punched your nose? Spike’s chip went off. If you were a demon then, how did you fool the chip?”

“But if it isn’t from Tara’s family,” said Dawn, “then how come Tara’s a demon now?”

“I think something happened to Tara on Wednesday,” said Willow. “I think someone threw a spell or a curse on her.”

“Who has the power to turn a person into a demon?” asked Buffy. “Who would want to curse Tara?”

“Ethan Rayne!” exclaimed Willow. “Remember when he turned Giles into a Fyarl demon?” Tara, did you see Ethan Rayne on Wednesday?”

“I don’t know,” said Tara. “I’ve never met him. I don’t know what he looks like.”

“Did you see a middle-aged Englishman who wasn’t Giles?”

“No.”

“I don’t think it was Ethan,” said Buffy. “The Initiative locked him up, remember? And even if he got free, he wouldn’t bother us in Sunnydale. If Ethan was free, he’d be in England pestering Giles.”

“Then what about Amy Madison?” asked Willow. “I told Amy I didn’t want to be her friend anymore. Maybe she got mad and threw a spell on Tara.”

“If Amy was mad at you, she wouldn’t turn Tara into a demon,” said Buffy. “She’d turn you into a rat.”

“You’re right,” said Willow.

“What about those evil nerds you keep talking about?” asked Dawn. “Maybe they did it.”

“Jonathan can do some magic,” said Buffy, “But I don’t think he did this. The nerds keep trying to ruin my life. They might not even know that Tara’s our friend.”

Willow thought and thought, but she couldn’t answer one question. Who was Tara’s enemy? Who would want to hurt Tara? Did her father or brother hate her? No, it couldn’t be them. They believed that magic is evil.

Suddenly the front door of the Magic Box opened, and Anya strode into the room. “I’m here,” she said. “What are we researching?”

Last edited by John Martin on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:54 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too big of a cliffhanger!!! :( Not fair!! Need more updates.