The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: (Updated November 10) Constants
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

*sigh* I really, really like this story. It's fun and dramatic and puts a smile on face. You transition between emotions seamlessly. Something dramatic to something funny. Goofy moments become sensual ones. Very good.

This is such a superb line:

Quote:
Just beyond the shelter of its doorway, two women gazed at each other in meaningful silence, their hearts calling to each other, but their brains not yet honed enough to listen.

I totally had spin-the-bottle flashbacks from this one, though we did not have co-ed smoochin. Would have been a far more interesting game. Your transition from making it a frat party standard to an epic ice breaker between Willow and Tara was suspenseful. Even though I expected a kiss between them, the build up was tense and then having Tara choose Willow was very different then leaving it to chance. And that was quite a kiss.

Are there going to be ramifications? I sense you are setting up for ramifications. Darn you suspenseful authors. ;-) Given what you mentioned in your last feedback response, I'm guessing Oz doesn't magically go poof so drama will probably ensue. Sheesh. You're killin' me!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:06 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Hmm, Spin the Bottle, post-post-modern version, not that I know much how the old version worked :-(.

James and Julie: groanlet, but clever, if intentional.

What was i missing? Were the purple strings suppsoed to be dead ends or something?

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:02 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

If I understand correctly, I believe it's purple for the lesbians and pink for the gay men. I guess blue is for straight folks.

Just my understanding of it.

How much shock is Buffy in right now?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:12 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I usually do feedback feedback just before posting the next chapter, but just to clarify, since it must have been confusing in the chapter:

The color of the string you take indicates the sex of the person at the other end. Blue strings on the girls' side meet up with pink strings on the boys' side (the string color changes halfway). Purple strings on either side loop back to their initial side. It's stereotypical, I know, but...it's a frat house (and yes, I realize *that* is stereotypical, too :p ) Both Willow and Tara took a purple string from the girls' side; Willow's choice was unintentional. Tara's might not have been.

And Buffy's string was planted as a cruel, cruel joke. :p

p.s. woo page 4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:37 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Wow. I think I was in 6th grade the last time I played spin the bottle and there was no girl kissing although I remember how much I wished there was. And I don't remember at all the last time I played Cat's Cradle. This was a nice trip down memory lane. It's so obvious that the W/T kiss was more than just a game. I feel like they're getting there. Well done.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:49 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Thanks, I kinda-sorta figured that in a set-up liekt his there'd be deliberate dead-end strings like buffy 's. (I wasn't a fraternity man myself but they dominated the social scene at my uni so I went to less than my sahre of parties at them- my school ahd strict rule that only membership rush conencted parties were closed ..)
I figuered that for the purple strings, altho 1- I didn't want to "ass-u-me" anything if I wasn't sure of the symbolism 2-I was a bit surprised the frat would include that sort of element, b ut then I'm a few decades out of touch on that *grin.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:56 am 
9. Gay Now

Okay, so, I think everyone pretty much said what I was going to say...

Great update. I esp loved when Willow unclenched her fists and then finally realized why she felt a bit jealous.

Looking forward to more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:37 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Serious hugs for the Sunnydale Memorial nod. Love you guys. <3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:22 am 
9. Gay Now

I'm not surprised to hear about the Sunnydale Memorial nominations because this is wonderful. The quality of your writing is excellent – richly detailed, involving and funny.

A well written Tara is always really important to me and I love your characterization of her. There was so much potential in her on the show which was sadly not realized so I appreciate this multi-layered version. I particularly liked her snapping at Andrew during Spin the Bottle.

You have done a remarkable job on Andrew because he is certainly recognisably Andrew but more interesting and likable.

My favourite part so far was Tara and Willow playing Taboo which was made quite goosebumpy.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter when you tackle the aftermath of the kiss(es).

I am gushing but this is good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:58 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

[quote="jasmydae"]Serious hugs for the Sunnydale Memorial nod. Love you guys.

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

Last edited by JujuDeRoussie on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:24 am 
12. Recently Gay

I wasn't expecting that conclusion to spin the bottle - I'm so pleased you're not a tease - lol.

I loved the jealousy Willow felt when Tara had to kiss Riley, and gave an internal yay as the penny dropped for her. Andrew's disappointment and plea when the bottle landed on Faith's vacant spot - so funny, but fair play to him for kissing James, although from his earlier comment, it was never gonna be a problem.

Buffy has her Riley, does this mean Cordelia and Xander is a possibilty?

I always liked that pairing, and the more mature Cordelia and Xander could be interesting.

God, I can't wait to see how Willow deals with kissing Tara.

Congrats on the nommination at SunnyD, it's good to see the kittens name's in a fair few of the catagories.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:51 am 
3. Flaming O

Mmmm.. I love this fic, the delicate balance between angst and humour.. Tara's situation is new, yet so familiar in her anguish and the love she has for her brother, the resignation in staying to endure for someone else.. I'm also really enjoying reading your Faith, the fascination she had with the pen knife was priceless! But even more priceless I think, is the thought of her playing the cool assasin/rogue like type in a good old roleplaying game, I really hope Andrew convince her and the rest of the gang into playing. It would be cool too to see Buffy roleplaying, which I think you got spot on, her being the fighter type because she could not bother to learn any more rules, and Willow being a wizard type (Why can I just see her sitting cross legged on the floor with a myriad of pages before her, spread out in a jumble on the floor, while she chews the end of her pencil with a concentrated look on her face, trying to figure out some new spell or how best to use one of her existing spells. All this ofcourse in the middle of a battle scene which leaves Buffy and Xander waiting, and waiting, and waiting...). All this said, I also really like Andrew! Heck, I like it all, just hope to see more of this fic sometimes soon!

~The Show Must Go On by Queen

Post subject: Constants - Chapter 14 Feedback
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:05 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Zampsa1975: Yeah, about time, right? ^_^

JujuDeRoussie: Well, hello, there. See? Late night posting, as promised. I'm glad you continue to find things to say. I expect there will be quite a number of chapters to come; it makes me giddy to know that the well of feedback love won't run dry. I know I've said this before, but I just *love* writing stuff between Faith and Andrew. It's like Xander/Giles scenes...put them in the same place at the same time and hilarity ensues. Riley was always my favorite of the 'Buffy boys'. I liked Spike as a character, but never warmed up to him as a ....love(?) interest. And Angel I was always pretty lukewarm about. Riley was a pretty cool guy for a long while, and I actually got kinda irked at how Buffy treated him toward the end of their relationship. Yeah, finally a Willow/Tara smooch. Maybe not the best of circumstances, but still. I'm glad I've finally reached these chapters. I think you're terrific at feedback :) I mean, look how much I end up writing in response! Ooooh, my story is causing in-class daydreams? Woo to that! I hope you enjoy the next chapter. I admit I was ... uh, mildly inebriated when I wrote most of it? So hopefully it makes sense.

willowandtaraforever: Thanks for the note. Always nice to hear who's following the story! Next chapter will be posted in a couple minutes; lemme know whatcha think? ^_^b

MelCar19: Your wish is my command. *waves* AHAHAH...I just noticed the dancing pink elephant. Oh, jeez....that's perfect. It'll make sense once you read the next chapter.

ophelia11: I can't promise seamlessness in this next bit. It's the first time in the story I've played with time a little bit--since I'm a new writer, I tend to write more or less linearly, with only the occasional memory thrown in. But in this chapter, it jumps around a bit, so hopefully it doesn't get confusing. I really started to despise the word "had"... Oooh, I like that description. If I can manage a story with goofy, sensual, and dramatic all tugging equally in opposite directions, I'll consider it a victory. Hah, you know what's funny? I kid you not: I really considered scrapping that line, just taking it out entirely. I thought it sounded kind of cheesy, and plus I wasn't sure whether I should write in feelings that the characters themselves weren't entirely aware of, since I do delve into their thoughts quite a bit. But then I thought, "hey, it's twenty more words," so I left it in. Quantity over quality, and all that. e_e; I don't think I've ever played spin the bottle, so I just kind of made it up how I figured my friends would play it, if we ever did. There could maybe possibly potentially be ramifications. :p

DaddyCatALSO: I don't really know what the rules are, either, so I kind of made them up. You know...after reading your feedback about James and Julie, I cringed. I'm assuming you mean James (Marsters) and Julie (Benz?)...which I totally should have realized while coming up with the character names, but the truth is...I just kind of picked the names. It's a coincidence. Now I wish I had been more careful. Oh, yeah, you're probably right about the frats not being all progressive like that, but, uh, they should be! So *poof* now they are. Ah, it's good to be a writer.

CSpotGo: Ohiya. I'm sure Buffy's a bit surprised, but I didn't quite get to that in this next chapter. Maybe the one after...

JustSkipIt: I had a dream that involved cat's cradle a while ago, and I wrote it into one of Tara's(?) earlier dreams. So I guess it was on my mine later in the story. I used to love that game; I'd play it all the time. Hm. Now I want some string.

onyxsundrops: Hellooooo. Yeah, it's always nice when a character breaks through their denial, huh? Willow's a smart girl. She gets it. :) Now what the heck is she going to *do* about it? I dunno, let's find out! But, but, I wanna know what you were going to say. =D Thanks for the feedback, and enjoy the next (hopefully. If it's weird, blame the boozes. Method writing, and all.)

Knock yourself out: Awr, thanks so much. *single tear* Heheh, you know, when I first wrote Andrew into the story, it was really just because I figured there had to be *some* men on the planet, right? But the more scenes he appeared in, the more fun he became to write. Taboo is a glorious game, and I've seen connections similar to that of the girls in real life. I kid you not:

not the world serie...SUPER BOWL. it's in the ground...COFFIN.

Haven't quite tackled the kissing aftermath, yet, just wrapping up the party. But enjoy, nonetheless. I expect future chapters will be spread out a bit more, instead of picking up directly where the previous one left off.

Please, please, gush away. I am driven about 10% by feeling like I'm accomplishing something by writing, and 90% by ego stroking. :p Every word is like candy. Highly addictive, narcotic candy.

Paint the Sky: Ahaha, no, I wouldn't tease you like that. Okay, so you caught me. I'll admit this: on the first page of my notes (and gosh, there's a lot of them, now) I've got a cast of characters with arc ideas sketched in. And between Xander and Cordelia there's a lightly penciled line with a big ol' question mark next to it. Uh, and I'm not really sure what that means, but probably something, and I've forgotten it. Thanks for the congrats, I'm really honored. I can't wait to be able to vote the Kitten board as best site, tomorrow!! Oh, and by the way: major kudos for being the 100th poster on this thread, and turning the thread icon yellow! =D *much fanfare and ticker tape*

Nenyath: Hee. That's probably the first time the word 'delicate' has ever been used to describe my writing. :) I feel so accomplished. I agree: Faith needs to seriously nerd it up. Roll for hide in shadows. Your feedback is ... you know what, I like it so much, that I can't even find a word for it, so instead you get asterisk actions: *spreads the feedback on the ground, jumps on top of it, and rolls up into a warm, snug little cocoon.* I promise there will be more story. In fact, check it out! Here's some, now.

Oh my god! I just realized I wrote TWELVE feedback feedbacks, there. That's a might impressive response, guys. You all rock. Seriously. Love you guys. It means so much that you're enjoying this story. It really makes me want to keep it going, and see it all the way through to the end. 60,000 words and rising!

Enjoy chapter 15.

*peace*

~ Megan

Last edited by jasmydae on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Constants - Chapter 15
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:10 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Part 15

Water splashed up from the puddles as Tara raced along the sidewalk, her sneakers pounding heavily on the wet pavement. Her breaths came in sharp, ragged gulps. Tara was not a runner; if she had found any room left in her frantic mind, she would have spared a moment to chastise herself for being woefully out of shape. Her heart beat irregularly, and a searing cramp was digging its way deeper into her side. She felt at once both too hot and too cold, and knew that the moment her legs stopped pumping, the incessant tingling in her abdomen would reassert itself as a pressing urge to urinate. She pushed on.

‘It’s your own fault, you know.’ The thought appeared through the pain. ‘This is the great Karmic pendulum swinging back in the other direction. It’s retribution for asking Donny to lie to Papa. For sneaking out to a party, drinking alcohol, and kissing strangers. And for…well, that.’ Tara skidded to a halt inches from a side street, very nearly slipping on the sidewalk and tumbling into the road just as a car flew through the green light into the intersection. She hopped impatiently from one foot to the other, while waiting for a break in the line of traffic.

The shift in luck didn’t surprise her; through the trials of her life, Tara had come to conclusion that bad things always happened right when everything was going well. In fact, so certain was she of this that she had personified her troubles; she imagined them as bat-winged, hunchbacked little imps, which darted in and out of the shadows when you weren’t looking. They carried clipboards and kept a running tally of your misdeeds; then, when they saw you experiencing a moment of bliss, they would make you pay. The critters would set into motion a series of events that would cause hurt, loss, and shame to descend upon you.

And things had been going well, tonight—amazingly well. Tara couldn’t remember the last time she’d had so much fun. It had taken a little while, certainly; when she had first arrived at the party, she had been a nervous wreck, and after quickly being separated from Faith, she had clung to her thin strand of twine like it was the only thing anchoring her to this world. She had faked courage—a skill born of years of practice—long enough to familiarize herself with the house; new locations seemed slightly less daunting after she identified the layout and the flow of people, and once she discovered which rooms she could retreat to if anxiety overwhelmed her. Which is exactly what she had been doing when Willow appeared and changed everything.

Was it Willow’s own nervousness that made her so comfortable to be around? When Tara had lain eyes on her for the first time that night, the redhead had looked like she was about to bolt for cover at the slightest movement. She had resembled a frightened wild animal, frozen in place, with taut shoulders and unblinking eyes. But the girl had been brave, taking tentative steps forward and even opening up a conversation with Tara. ‘Even though you were basically ogling her the entire time,’ the blonde admitted to herself. ‘How very classy of you.’ They had talked and laughed together. They had clicked. They had pooled their courage, feeding off of each other’s, and agreed to play a game that neither of them would have dared to join, alone. And then they had kissed. ‘Oh, Goddess, did we ever kiss,’ Tara remembered, while darting across a space in traffic and continuing her frantic dash along the side of the road. But then the imps had done their job to a tee.

~*~

“One, two, three, four! I declare a thumb war!” Tara intoned.

“Five, six, seven, eight! Try to keep your thumb straight!” Although Willow attempted to deliver her line with a stony face, the corners of her mouth twitched, and giggles bubbled up to the surface. Tara tried to focus on their linked hands, where their dueling digits were poised to do combat, but instead her attention was stolen by the laughter on the redhead’s lips. ‘Her warm, peppermint flavored lips,’ Tara’s mind filled in. The ghost of their earlier kiss still lingered at her mouth, dancing upon her lips and sending phantom charges to the tip of her tongue. Despite the slow gulps of water she was downing, Tara felt parched. After her first drink had made her lightheaded, she had decided to abandon alcohol for the remainder of the night. Faith had offered her a second drink, which Tara had sipped once to appease her friend, but ultimately the blonde had passed it off to Willow, who discovered a passion for the peach flavored potable.

Now, Willow was on her fourth cup, and while it certainly was doing wonders for her insecurities, it rendered her a truly horrible thumb wrestler. Together, they chanted, “Nine, ten! Let’s begin!” Tara, who had uninhibited fine motor skills, not to mention longer thumbs, had no trouble pinning Willow’s wriggling digit beneath her own.

“Oh noes,” Willow said, studying her thumb curiously. “I think it’s tired.” Her head lolled to the side, her eyes drifting closed, and her temple coming to rest against Tara’s left arm, which was stretched across the back of the seat. It was a hideous, orange-red sofa with mix-matched cushions, and they shared it with an unidentified male partygoer, who was sprawled out across the majority of it, his forehead pressed firmly against the opposite armrest. The boy hadn’t moved since they had claimed their perch, although his breathing sometimes gurgled into congested snoring.

After their game of spin the bottle, Faith had seen James and Julie out, then disappeared into the nether regions of the party; Andrew’s time had been commandeered by his brother, who seemed eager to parade the boy before the Kappa Alpha brothers; and Cordelia and Buffy had wandered off with Riley in tow, claiming they were going to catch up with a few of Cordy’s sorority sisters. The series of departures had once again left Tara and Willow sitting together in the bedroom, but despite the kiss—or perhaps because of it—neither girl had been able to retreat into her earlier comfort zone. Willow had polished off the remainder of her drink while Tara had excused herself for a cup of water, and when the blonde reappeared, she had hovered near the doorway. “Would you like to go downstairs, maybe, and, uh, l-listen to some music?”

The bustling activity of the party had been a welcome relief after the hesitant silence of the upstairs bedroom. The girls had been lucky to find an open seat, their slumbering couch companion notwithstanding, and they had gratefully settled into the unsightly upholstery. They hadn’t talked much, just a brief comment here and there, whispered at close range into an ear to ensure delivery despite the raucous background noise. Mostly, they had watched the party, occasionally stealing glances at each other, and letting the steady pounding beat of the music wash over them. Tara’s suggestion to thumb wrestle had been partly to break the silence between the two, and partly because it had been killing her to have the redhead sitting so closely, yet to not be touching her.

“Oz wrote this one,” Willow murmured, her breath trickling over the inside of Tara’s elbow.

“Hm?”

“This song.” The girl’s eyes fluttered open and found Tara’s crystal blue irises mere inches away; the blonde was leaning closer to better hear Willow’s words. “He wrote this one; I remember when he was working on it.”

Tara blinked. “Oh, r-right.” She peered across the room, which was teeming with students, but couldn’t see the band through the sea of bodies. “They’re really good,” she remarked. “I—I like her voice a lot. You said they used to have a—a guy singer?” A playful expression crossed her face.

“Yeah,” Willow nodded. “His name was Devon. Why? What’s so funny?”

“N-nothing,” Tara giggled. “I just, uh, have trouble imagining a guy singing this, is all.”

Willow knit her brow and let the husky, drawn out lyrics register. “Oh…yeah, they are kind of, uh, racy, huh? It’s a new song, though. Oz says they’ve been spending a lot of time on new ones; they’re really taking it seriously.”

“Where does he find time for work, attending the University, having a girlfriend, and playing in a band?” asked Tara, still craning her neck in an attempt to see the musicians.

“Well, he only works part time,” Willow explained, “and honestly, he doesn’t take all that many credits at school—just the bare minimum required to be considered a full-time student.” She frowned, her gaze travelling down to the sofa. “And the rest of band time…I guess it kind of comes out of girlfriend time,” she admitted.

Tara gave the girl a puzzled look. “You’re kidding.” At Willow’s resigned shrug, the blonde shook her head. “He really needs to get his priorities straight.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I just…I don’t know, it seems like…” Tara paused, considering her words. “I don’t think there’s m-much that’s more important than, uh, having somebody, you know? Somebody special?”

Willow remained quiet until the blonde glanced at her for a reaction, when she finally asked, “Do you—um, did you leave somebody behind? When you moved here, I mean?”

Tara drew a slow breath. “No,” she admitted, “just a garden.”

Shifting slightly on the sofa, Willow tucked her knees up below her chin and nestled her cheek into the nook of Tara’s elbow, her lashes sweeping downward over the skin. The bunched up sleeve of the blonde’s soft marled cardigan tickled the tip of her nose. “I’ll bet it was a really beautiful garden, though,” she whispered.

“It really was,” Tara sighed, closing her eyes as well.

~*~

Tara was abruptly shaken awake ten minutes later by an agitated Andrew.

“I need help,” he panted.

“Huh? W-what happened?” Tara tried to sit up too quickly, not realizing that Willow was still napping on her arm, and the redhead started, blinking rapidly. Pins and needles shot from the blonde’s fingers to her shoulder.

“Tucker says I’ve gotta get girls to play I Never, or else he’ll tell all the KA guys I have Ewok sheets.”

Tara peered at the boy, rubbing her shoulder briskly. “Do you have Ewok sheets?” she asked.

“Ew! No way!” Andrew adamantly denied.

“He’s got Boba Fett sheets,” Willow recalled the detail from the handful of times she’d visited the boy’s room.

“Bubba who?” Tara asked confusedly.

“Oh, he’s so cool,” Andrew enthused. “But that’s not the point. You guys have got to help me!”

“Why is that?” Tara questioned. She wasn’t so sure she should get involved in another drinking game. She hadn’t been keeping track, but she was fairly sure Willow had already had plenty to drink, as well. On the other hand, from the stories she’d heard of the game, there wasn’t much chance that she would have to drink very often, and—unless her impression of the girl was wildly off—neither would Willow.

“This is important!” Andrew insisted. “It’s about familial rivalry, you know? It’s about standing tall and proud against an older sibling!”

Tara grinned. “I am the older sibling,” she reminded him.

Andrew looked to Willow for help, but she merely shrugged apologetically. “Only child.”

“Aw, man. You guys are really going to make me grovel?” The boy looked at them with pleading eyes. “Come on, I’ll owe you both a huge favor?”

‘Just tell him you don’t think it’s a good idea,’ Tara decided. ‘Say you’re only drinking water, that Willow’s tired, that—’ She glanced at Willow, and was surprised to see a look of curiosity and mischief lighting up her eyes. ‘Uh oh…’

~*~

There were seven of them sitting around the table. Besides Willow and Andrew, none of the other players were familiar to Tara, although she could make an educated guess as to which one was Tucker; not only did he have features similar to his brother’s, but he wore a white tee shirt sporting a picture of Friar Tuck, underneath which the phrase ‘Tuck You’ had been written in Sharpie marker. She noticed with dismay that aside from Willow and herself, only one other girl was present. Tara scooted her chair closer to Willow’s, making room for Andrew at her right.

“I never smoked pot,” the unfamiliar girl declared, immediately following her statement with a long draft of beer. Tucker and the other two Kappa Alpha brothers took swigs, as well, after clinking their bottles together in a celebratory toast.

“You, too, baby brother,” Tucker urged, nudging Andrew’s plastic cup toward the boy. The bright blue drink sloshed dangerously close to the lip of the container.

“No, way,” Andrew protested. “That doesn’t count. It was only—”

“Drink up!” his brother insisted.

“Fine,” the boy huffed, “but I’m gonna get you back for this. Mark my words.” Still grumbling, Andrew lifted the cup to his lips and took a sip, then swirled the citrus flavored liquid around his tongue before swallowing it. “I never caused widespread panic at Family Weekend,” he fired back.

“Ooo!” the frat boys called out in a chorus, clapping their hands in appreciation at the boy’s vengeance round. They hooted and hollered, cheering Tucker on as the young man proudly downed half of his beer in a single gulp.

All eyes turned to Tara, and she shrank back into her chair. “Uh…I n-never, um…shoplifted?” she said meekly. Curiously she watched Willow, but the redhead’s hand remained in her lap, never straying to her cup. Tara didn’t even notice if anyone else had taken a drink; she was just happy to have her turn be over.

“I never went streaking!” Willow piped. Her cheeks were red, but she was laughing. The sight relaxed Tara, somewhat.

“Down the hatch, Dave!” one of the brothers called out. Dave, the only victim of the round, tilted his head back and pumped his fists in the air, cursing the heavens, before draining the rest of his drink. He belched loudly.

It was Tucker’s turn, and he grinned wickedly at his younger brother. “I never, ever,” he drew the words out for dramatic effect, “so much as kissed a girl.” He took a drink and leaned back in his seat, arms crossed, with a smug, self-satisfied look on his face.

Willow and Tara took tentative sips, locking gazes over their rims of their drinks. When Andrew proudly took a gulp, Tucker laughed. “You liar!” he accused.

“Nuh uh, am not,” Andrew retorted.

“Hah! No way,” Tucker scoffed. “I don’t believe it for a second.”

“Believe it,” Tara asserted, jumping to her friend’s defense. “And he’s a fantastic kisser, too,” she added, stifling a fit of giggles when Andrew visibly puffed up and his brother shook his head in amazed disbelief.

Recognizing what Tara was up to, Willow added her voice to the mix. “Yup, one of the best,” she maintained. Under the table, she felt Tara’s hand slip into her own, giving a squeeze of appreciation before releasing the grip. Tucker’s eyes shot to the redhead, his jaw dropping. Willow avoided his gaze by taking another quick pull on her peachy beverage. As she set the cup back down on the table, her hands felt weightless.

“I never had phone sex,” Dave said, adding, “sadly.”

Willow’s eyes nearly popped out of her skull, and her slouched posture shot upright. ‘Oh my god, I can’t—is anybody else—’ When three of the others reached for their drinks, Willow sneaked a hand out for her own. She swirled the fizzy liquid around the bottom of her cup before tipping it back and letting it slide into her mouth. Her tongue swam in the last of the sweet, tingly syrup before gulping it down. She exhaled, her head buzzing, feeling like she was spinning in dizzying circles.

Tara gnawed at her lower lip as the redhead set her empty cup down on the table, carefully lining it up flush with the edge of one of the wooden slats. ‘I have her phone number,’ Tara recalled, the thought springing up before she had a chance to censor it. ‘Wait, who did she have—was it with Oz?’ Her stomach churned uneasily. ‘They are a couple, you know. As much as you might want to, it’s not something you can just ignore. You’re toeing the line, already; be careful.’

From somewhere across the table, a voice stated, “I never masturbated at work.”

The table fell silent. Tara could almost hear her heart pushing blood into her arteries. At first nobody moved. Slowly, Tucker’s fingers crept across the table and eased around his bottle, lifting it to his mouth in red-faced shame.

“Ew!” the girl across the table blurted, her features twisted in disgust. “That’s nasty!” She glared at the young man and tossed a bottle cap in his direction, which bounced off his hand and fell to the floor.

‘This was a terrible, terrible idea,’ Tara decided. When she reached out for her red plastic cup, she couldn’t help but feel that it wasn’t her hand; it felt disconnected, foreign. She could hardly taste the sour bite of the liquid that spilled past her lips. Her gaze followed her drink to the table, where it stayed while her cheeks burned. When she finally summoned the courage to glance to her left, she found Willow’s eyes on her. The girl’s lips were parted slightly, and her expression was unreadable, but her stare didn’t waver. Tara shifted uncomfortably in her seat and lowered her head, looking down at her lap.

“Tara!” Andrew gasped. “You mean—oh, no, no. It was a while ago, right? I mean, it couldn’t have been at…pleasepleaseplease tell me it wasn’t at…”

Tara said nothing.

“Aw, man!” the boy concluded.

Play had gone around the table and returned to the girl who had started the game off. “I never…uh…”

“Come on, Lil, let’s hear it,” Dave urged.

“I’m trying to think of a good one!” Lil snapped.

“How about, ‘I never owned a vibrator shaped like a tiny pink elephant’s head?’” Buffy suggested, sauntering over to the table. Behind her, Riley guffawed.

All color drained from Willow’s face. “Would you excuse me, please?” she spoke evenly, pushing her chair away from the table and rising unsteadily to her feet. She balanced herself with her hand on the back of her chair, and turned to address her best friend. Her mouth opened to speak, but instead she lunged forward, without warning. Buffy squeaked out a startled yelp and almost tumbled backward over a chair. Quickly regaining her balance, she danced out of reach, avoiding the advancing redhead as she weaved through the crowd. They made a circuit of the room, Buffy picking her way easily around the human obstacles, and Willow wobbling dangerously with every step. When the blonde feinted and reversed her trajectory, Willow stumbled, tipping too far to one side. Her hands instinctively flew up to cushion her impact, but then Tara was catching her. Steadying her. Holding her. Willow’s sense of balance continued its laps around the room, and she had to clench her eyes shut to suppress a bout of vertigo.

“I got you.” Whispers. “Easy, sweetie.” Tara cooed soothingly to Willow as she helped the reeling redhead over to the sofa, where a student was kind enough to offer up his seat. Buffy stepped forward to help, but Tara shot her a look that was easy to read: ‘back off.’ She eased backward onto the couch, drawing Willow down with her and lowering her gently to the cushion. Fluffing a pillow, Tara lifted Willow’s birdlike frame just enough to slide the cushioning beneath it. A plaintive moan escaped the redhead’s lips, her mental landscape tilting and spinning queasily. All Tara could do was anchor the girl with her touch; she brushed her fingers across Willow’s moist forehead and narrow chin, not caring that they were becoming smeared with makeup.

Buffy hovered nervously nearby, fretting over her role in hastening her best friend’s deteriorating condition. “Can I do anything? How can I help?”

Riley rested a reassuring hand on her arm. “Come on, let’s her some water,” he suggested, knowing she’d feel less guilty if she had a task to perform. Buffy nodded listlessly and followed him toward the kitchen, glancing back at her friend every few steps.

~*~

When Faith spied Tara sitting on the sofa, she approached quietly. The waitress was leaning against Willow, cupping the girl’s cheek in the palm of her hand. The redhead appeared to have slipped into peaceful oblivion, her limp form draped over a pillow that was tucked against the sofa’s armrest. Tara’s eyes were closed, but every few seconds her eyelids would twitch, and her thumb would sweep a gentle caress across the soft hairs beside Willow’s ear. They looked so darned cute that Faith wished she didn’t have to wake her friend.

“Hey, T,” she whispered.

Tara’s lashes fluttered.

“Tara,” Faith said, a bit more forcefully.

“Mm?” The blonde blinked a few times before focusing on her friend. “Faith? Oh, hey.”

“Comfy?”

Tara pulled her hand away from Willow’s face to cover an ear-popping yawn. She smiled sheepishly.

“Anyway,” Faith remembered, “your little bro called a little bit ago. Said to tell you that your ol’ man was home, and that he was headin’ to bed.”

Tara was suddenly wide awake. “What? W-when did he call?”

“I don’t know, maybe ten minutes ago?” Faith shrugged, crouching down by the couch. “I told him I didn’t know where you were right at the moment, but I’d let you know.” She flipped open her cell phone and scanned through the call log. “Yeah, like twelve minutes ago,” she verified.

Tara struggled against inertia and rose shakily. “Oh my—I’ve got to…” She stood too quickly, and immediately sat back down on the sofa, waiting for the darkness to fade from the periphery of her vision. “I’ve g-got to go, right away,” she stammered, teetering to her feet once again. “Could you s-stay with Willow until Buffy gets back?”

“Yeah, I can watch over Red. But, T, wait a sec and I’ll—” Faith called, but already the blonde had rushed toward the front door, pausing only to collect her coat and bag from the hallway closet.

Buffy appeared a few seconds later, carrying several cups of water. “What was that all about?” she inquired.

“T had to run,” Faith grimaced, looking at the door.

“That does kind of seem to be her M.O.,” Buffy said. “Should I go after her?”

Faith shook her head. “Nah, I got it; you’re on drunk duty.” With that, she hauled herself to her feet and took off after her friend.

~*~

Cars zipped by on the road beside Tara, their tires spraying a fine mist into the air. Her legs felt like Jell-o; it was getting harder to put one foot in front of the other. ‘Just a few more blocks,’ her mind demanded, but her muscles protested every step. She slowed to an agonizing trot, the cramp in her side stinging so sharply it caused tears to well up in her eyes. Behind her, heavy footsteps neared; she could hear the squeaking sound of boots impacting wet pavement.

“T, would you hold up for a sec?” Faith panted. “Jesus, I had no idea you could run so fast.” She doubled over, gasping, and spit thick ropes of saliva onto the ground.

“I’m sorry, Faith, I really am. But I’ve got to get home, right now.”

“You look like you’re about to keel over,” Faith pointed out, straightening and forcing her lungs to take steady breaths around her words. “Will you at least let me make sure you get there in one piece?”

“It’s just two more blocks. I appreciate your concern, really, but I’ll be fine.” Tara began jogging again, and Faith kept pace with her.

“You’re just about the most stubborn person I’ve ever met, you know that?”

Tara frowned. “I could say the same of you,” she rasped.

When they finally reached her apartment building, Tara marched up to the door and pulled her keys from her coat pocket. She unlocked and opened the door hastily, wedging her foot in front of the jamb. Regarding Faith, she said, “Thanks. I’m sorry for being such a brat. I wish—I—” The words didn’t come.

“No explanation needed,” Faith assured her. “Just…don’t bolt like that. It freaks people out, you know? We’re your friends; any of us would see you home safely.”

Tara grinned. “And who’s going to see you home safely?” she asked.

Faith rolled her eyes. “I’m going to wait until the sun is up, then call for a police escort to bring me the three blocks to my place,” she replied sarcastically. “Anyway, go on up, don’t let me keep you. Shoo.”

Tara made one more stop before climbing the stairs to her apartment; using the smallest key on the ring, she opened one of the narrow mailboxes that lined one wall of the stairwell landing, and retrieved a plastic shopping bag from it. Carefully locking the box behind her, she took the remaining stairs two at a time. With a steadying breath, Tara unlocked her apartment door and stepped inside.

Last edited by jasmydae on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Constants - (Updated November 16)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:24 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Late night for you, early morning for me :)

That was once again very nice.

Bordring on scary though with the whole running Tara.

Poor Willow, a pink elephant huh? like this one? :pinky but as a vibrator? LOL

But yeah... Tara masturbated at work? Ooooh... Interesting. Lol. Details? Just for information of course, it has nothing to do with any perviness. Nope!

Oh another thing I had noticed, is that Tara calls her dad Papa, and I wondered where it came from (I know it is th word used in many languages, French is one of those languages).

Anyway, I hope her father will still be in his good cycle.

Now I wonder also f the new singer in Oz's band is not Veruca, and even if she is not, if there is not something between the two... poor Willow, I hope not.

You wouldn't happen to have written some more in your "mildly inebriated" state? Lol.

Thanks for the update.

Friendly,

Julia.

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:04 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Yay, two updates!! Loved the party scenes, and I like how spin-the-bottle was fun instead of cheesy. I am ready for some (perhaps) awkward moments; they shared a great kiss, but Willow's rather drunk... and let's hope Tara's dad didn't notice she was gone last night.

Quote:
sadie: I thought the same thing! When I was reading back over my own chapter, and I hit the ending, I was all, "GRAH. IN ROOM TOGETHER." Only...well, probably less coherent than that. I actually have noticed that when I don't really think about it...I mean, when I'm not actively trying to set a mood with my writing, that I always default to humor. I think that comes from reading too many Calvin and Hobbes strips. So, that will probably be a constant throughout the story.

I feel the mood you set has a great balance between (natural) tension and humour... plus you bring original ideas and you describe stuff so well; like

Quote:
their hearts calling to each other, but their brains not yet honed enough to listen.

Dunno, there's a good chance I'm rambling, in that case, ignore me ;). Looking forward to more, of course :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:36 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I really hope Willow and Tara could spend time together without Tara having to run to be abused by his father...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:28 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hi, I made this account just so I could come here and tell you how much I'm enjoying your fic. You're really good at writing dialogue that would sound right at home in one of the TV episodes. Plus, it's fun recognizing all the College Park landmarks you've written in so far. When is Willow going to pay a visit to McKeldin? ;-)

Um, so yeah. Congrats on putting yourself out there! :kgeek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:33 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Oh Tara is so in love. But things are going to go badly with her dad. Very well written.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:20 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Great chapter, can't wait for the next update. Keep up the good work. :pinky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:05 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Great update.
I don't like that Tara has to rush home all the time. I hope she figures out that she has friends that are there for her and she can tell them why she has to always be home so urgently.
Are Willow and Oz gonna break up yet?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:31 am 
4. Extra Flamey

YAY UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!! I love how the story is progressing, can't wait for :wtkiss smoochies.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:25 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Exactly what game are they playing there? and are they confessing to soemthing they ahven't done, or si accusing someone else (in the form of an "I never" statement) of what they think the somebody else did, and if they've nailed the other person, the other person has to drink?

But a cute if confusing update; poor Willow, I've never been that drunk but I feel for her :-). And I can feel for Tara too....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:43 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

The rules of I Never:

1. Sit in a circle, everybody takes a turn in order.
2. On your turn, you make a statement starting with "I Never," such as "I never went skinny dipping." (note: this does not need to be a true statement)
3. Anybody who has done this thing takes a drink (including the person who declared, if they have done it themselves).

There may be variations in different areas, but those are the simple rules we played by. It gets really funny when you play in a group of friends, where everybody has lots of dirt on people.

DaddyCatALSO wrote:
Exactly what game are they playing there? and are they confessing to soemthing they ahven't done, or si accusing someone else (in the form of an "I never" statement) of what they think the somebody else did, and if they've nailed the other person, the other person has to drink?

But a cute if confusing update; poor Willow, I've never been that drunk but I feel for her :-). And I can feel for Tara too....

Last edited by jasmydae on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:08 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Glad you left that line in. I think it fit perfectly. I tend to be a pretty linear writer too, but you did very well with the dual timelines. I think it ended up adding more suspense to both unfolding stories.

I'm glad that you didn't go with a freak out scene right after the kiss, even though it was certainly a possible outcome. Your version was much more enjoyable to read and set up the remaining story very well.

LMAO at Buffy outing Willow...or rather her vibrator. I don't think I ever played a game of 'I Never' that didn't involve busting on your friends embarrassing secrets. It's all good as long as everyone stays friendly. ;-)

Tara played the caring friend very well. I like seeing more of her personality revealed. Love that you had Faith go after her and also tell her to stop making the sudden exits. They do seem more suspicious than they are intended.

Hope all goes well once Tara gets home. Also hope a nice friendly break-up is on its way for Willow and Oz. ;-) Given the introduction of a female lead singer, it certainly seems like you have a few seeds planted.

Great update. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:34 am 
12. Recently Gay

Excellent update.

The I never game must be an American thing, I don't remember ever playing it, my only knowledge of it comes when used in fic's here. It could get quite messy though if played with malice rather than affectionate teasing :)

Tara's panic was expertly handled. I felt like I was with her on that run home. Oh god, that feeling when you need to pee and you're ok as long as you keep moving - ungh!! I was practically bouncing with her as she waited for the lights to change.

Faith, again, shows that she is the kinda of friend a girl can rely on. You really do write her well, I can hear her voice so clear reading her dialogue, you know, really hear the intonation in it.

I'm curious now about the plastic shopping bag. Why would Tara waste valuable seconds to retrieve it?

I only hope her father is already in a drunken sleep!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:27 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

I've been thinking about Faith and Tara lately. Seeing how they're portrayed in this story, in "Class of '99," "Sing Your Heart Out" Tara in "Neverland" etc.

Faith is and always will be more brash and spontaneous and Tara will always be more polite and careful, but otherwise, they seem to have, in these stories, rather similar personaliities.

Which isn't surprising when you think about it; they always both seemed to each accept herself as a given. Which wasn't the case with the Core 4 Scoobs, or Angel or Wesley or Dawn.

I can see that. Faith's upbringing in "Soath Basston" was urban by any standards, and she was definitely subject to neglect, perhaps soem abuse as well, of perhaps all kinds. Tara was apparently brought up in rural surroundings, at least by comparison to the Scoobs, and was at least emotionally and mentally (cognitively) abused, if not other ways. And the abuse patterns would have been different.

So, canon, they wouldn't be at all alike. but it seems plausioble that if they'd both been brought up in functional, supportive households, that they'd be kind of similar. Which I think we're seeing here.

since this is a comemnt from me, of course I have an egotistical comemnt to make. I've been trying to find a description of the personality of Tara's genetic daughter Summer in my futurefics, insofar as she appears. I think this is exactly the kind of attitude I'm giving her. ( As perspective, Willow's genetic daughter Autumn takes after Aunt Buffy, buffy's older daughter joyce is like Aunt cordy except more so, Faiht's daughter Kharissa is kinda based on my own daughter, Buffy's son Liam takes after his father but without the brooding and without the wastrel-youth aspects, etc.)[/i]

Post subject: Constants - Chapter 15 Feedback
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:11 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

JujuDeRoussie: Yes, and before anyone asks: no, I do not own a pink elephant vibrator. e_e; So, yeah, Tara at work, hm? I want to know what happened! Wonder what she could have been thinking about... Let's see, why do Donny and Tara call their father Papa. I'm not sure, it seemed fitting. My sister and I called our father 'Pa' for a long time, and he called his father 'Papi'. I just thought the word 'Papa' sounded more like the kind of thing Tara would say, when I said it aloud. Not sure where 'Papa' is in the cycle. This next chapter shows a little. Very strange things going on... I do have plans for Oz, by this point, although I never felt like Oz was the kind of guy who'd cheat on Willow (as a wolf, he had no control). I mean, Oz was one of the most fiercely loyal characters on the show; even in Wishverse, without Willow to tether him, Oz still fought by Giles' side. So I think having him get it on with the new lead singer would be too out of character for him. I think I write silly when I drink, and I also think I drank one too many White Russians... *loves the feedback*

sadie: Hiya. Thanks sooo much. Please, ramble away. =D Yeah, I do notice that my writing leans toward funny when I'm not writing according to a script (and, really, even sometimes when I am). But that's because the characters on the show have a very silly nature about them, especially in the earlier seasons, which I'm drawing on heavily for this story. Yeah, Willow did get rather DRONKED didn't she? Poor girl. Hope you enjoy the next chapter; it'll be nice to have the party ones wrapped up so I can get to some new scenes!

Zampsa1975: I admit, I have kind of painted myself into a corner with the Maclay family situation. Tara can't up and leave her brother, and so she's stuck with this unspoken curfew, and that does unfortunately either limit the girls' interaction, or else lead to potential repercussions. It won't be a quick resolution.

ekolmus: Whoa!! Dude. It kicks so much butt that you actually came here and posted feedback for this story. For those who are wondering ekolmus is a friend from that world that exists beyond the borders of the Internet. Hey, B, I don't know if you finished the series or not, but if you want a really spectacular story that picks up where the show left off, check out Jet Wolf's "The Chosen". A Google search should pull it up. Talk about terrific characterization. I swear, I imagine scenes from Buffy, now, and can't remember whether they were from the show or from JW's episodes... About the CP landmarks, it's actually funny because I haven't been to the campus in so long, I have to keep refering to the campus map to remember where things are.

JustSkipIt: Yup. *smitten* (*smote*?) You could be right about the Dad situation. Things do not look good for Homestar Runner.

MelCar19: Muahahaha elephant. Thanks for the note, and enjoy the next chapter!

love_2003: Oooh, new feedbacker? *wibble* Honestly, *I* don't like that Tara has to rush home all the time. It's kind of a pain in the ass, not being able to plan all the snuggly, night-time scenes I'd love to write. We'll get there, eventually. And yes, there are plans for Willow and Oz. Gosh, I feel like some kind of puppetmaster. DANCE, PUPPETS. DANCE. Um... >_> You should probably ignore that.

willowandtaraforever: Awr. No smooches in this chapter. But thoughts *about* smooches. =D

ophelia11: Love love love your feedbacks. Yeah, reading back over that last chapter a couple times, I'm guess I'm comfy with the timing of it. I don't really like writing past tense into past tense, though. Too many 'hads'. They really get annoying. I'm not a great grammarian; I prefer to keep sentence structure simple. So chapters like that take much longer for me to write. Yeah, I figure...there'll prolly be enough drama in the story already to have the girls dealing with OMGWEKISSED*SPAZ* reactions, and besides, I kind of wanted to mirror how their relationship developed on the show. It was this quiet acceptance, you know? Not really talked about (overtly), but more passive...swimming with the tide, if you will. It is true. I Never is a game of digging through dirt and embarrassing your best friends. But it's friendly. Unlike Monopoly. Monopoly is evil, and breed hatred and contempt. I'm glad you see Tara's personality coming through; to be honest, she's one of the most difficult characters for me to write, even though--and perhaps *because*--she's my favorite from the show. I feel all the more pressure to do her character justice. Thanks again for the feedback; I look forward to this dialog!

Paint the Sky: It probably is an American thing; I've only ever seen it in American programs/movies/stories. It's definitely a college thing. This is probably TMI, but somehow I always realize I need to pee when I get on the Metro coming home from work, and by the time I get to the station, go to my car, drive the 15 minutes to the apartment, check the mail, etc. I'm literally hopping by the time I get into my apartment. ...and yeah, I should go back and delete that whole paragraph and star again, but *meh*. Of course, Faith is much nicer in this story than she was in the show. I do hope to give her more screen time. I had a scene written into this next chapter for her, with a question mark next to it, in my notes...but I wanted to get the chapter posted, and it was 1AM, so I stripped it out. But there will be more Faith stuff. Eventually. Love the feedback. Really. Thank you!

DaddyCatALSO: It's true, I've notice that a good many fics pair Tara and Faith as friends, and I believe your reasoning is sound: despite their outwardly different personalities, the girls do share a kind of life acceptance. Their fronts for it are different. Tara's was obedience and resignation, then she slowly began to find her courage. Faith's was more of an 'offense is the best defense' kind of mentality. Many writers--myself included--tend to attribute Faith with a loyalty that she wasn't really given in the show, perhaps because we want to badly for her to have it. We focus on the snippets of hope that BtVS gave us for her character: the christmas lights in her apartment, her showing up on the Summer's doorstep when her imaginary party plans fell through...personally, I was immensely displeased with the arc such a promising character was given, and so...I hope to give her another chance in my own story. Let's hope she uses it for good :)

Everyone: Love you guys. The response to this story has been just...so... *teary eyed*. Enjoy the next chapter, and I'll see you again soon!

*peace*

~ Megan

p.s. If anyone can get me in touch with Alcy/KiwiAlcyone, please do so! I've been trying to get in contact unsuccessfully for over a month. :(

Post subject: Constants - Chapter 16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:16 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Part 16

It was a quiet ride home for Willow. Her senses crackled and buzzed; the low conversation between Buffy and Riley in the front seat came to her as if through an old speaker. She stared out the window of the Grand Cherokee blankly, unable to process the frames of college life that flickered past. Her cheek was pressed against the cold pane of glass. It offered a tingling reminder that the rest of her body, wrapped securely in her heavy wool coat, was overheated. A patch of skin just to left of the small of her back had begun to itch, but she resisted the urge to attack it; twisting her body about within the confines of the back seat, her coat, and the seat belt seemed too daunting a prospect. Instead, she tried to convince herself that the phantom twinge was only a figment of her imagination.

The distraction was a relief, because Willow was confused. Since waking up at the party, she had created a dozen mental checklists, but each and every one had been crumpled up and tossed into the recycling bin of her brain. Puzzled. She had been alone on the couch when she woke. No, not alone—the young man who had been present when she and Tara had first taken a seat was present, his conscious link to the world all but severed, and Buffy sat at a table within view, playing a card game with Riley and a few other students. She had even spotted Oz on one side of the cleared floor space that was acting as a stage, chatting with a few of his band mates and several partygoers whom she didn’t recognize. But Willow was alone—the kind of raw loneliness that develops in the space between the heart and the stomach; the kind that keeps you awake late into the night after all of your friends have gone home, and you wish just one of them had stayed behind. Perplexed. Because Oz had seen her stir, he had interrupted his conversation and briskly crossed the room to kneel by her side. And as he had approached, Willow’s loneliness hadn’t dissipated.

And in that instant, her brain latched on to the thread her heart had been dangling.

Across the Jeep’s leather-trimmed seat, Cordelia sighed heavily, and Willow spared her a look. The girl finished reading a message on her cell phone, and her thumbs flew over the buttons as she typed in her reply. Like Buffy, the Cordelia seemed to be inseparable from the device; Willow could hardly recall a conversation she’d had with her roommate that hadn’t been interrupted at least once by an incoming text. The redhead’s dazzling intellect, even subdued by the long evening of drinking, was wasted on guessing the topic of the conversation; despite having slept through most of the events that had transpired between the three, Willow recognized quickly that Cordelia was less than thrilled with the attention their chauffeur was giving to Buffy.

Riley had offered the girls a ride back to their dormitories when the crowd began thinning and only those too grateful for the weekend, or too inebriated to notice, remained. It was clear that Willow was in no state to make a long hike across campus in the cold and drizzly weather, and Cordelia, despite her bitterness at being passed up, wasn’t willing to decline the offer out of contempt. So they piled into the vehicle, and immediately fell into a forced silence; Willow had enough conversations spinning around in her head to keep her busy, and Cordelia knew any words that issued from her mouth would be biting. Buffy and Riley spoke only in hushed tones on safe topics, a dialog that Willow easily filtered out.

Flummoxed. Because the person Willow wanted to stay behind, the person whose company she wanted—no, craved—was Tara. Of this much she was certain. It was Tara, only Tara, who could chase away her waking melancholy. Flustered. Because her heart beat faster when she thought of her new friend: of her scent, a comforting combination of oranges and vanilla; of her cascade of gorgeous honey blonde hair, which tumbled past the soft wisps at the nape of her neck; of her slender, graceful fingers; of the gentle hills and valleys of her curving figure. Addled. Because she wasn’t just excited about having the blonde as a new friend: Tara excited her. Confused. Because Tara Maclay was a girl.

~*~

The apartment was dark and still as death. Tara listened carefully for the steady rhythm of her father’s breathing, and held her breath to make sure she wasn’t hearing her own. It was strange, arriving home to a dark room. She had noticed the reaction after staying out late with Willow and her friends three days ago, but that night she had been so relieved to find her father asleep that she didn’t name the feeling for what it really was—she felt neglected. She wondered if, in other homes, parents would leave a light on when their child was out at night, a symbolic beacon to help them find their way home safely.

‘Well, better this then having him sitting up on the sofa with all the lights on, I suppose,’ she thought. The alibi, perhaps, would hold up if not subjected to careful scrutiny, but Tara was certain she’d be unable to lie directly to her father’s face. The words would tangle, and minute cracks would appear at the center of the tale, shooting out like zagging lightning bolts to the corners, and filling in with expanding spider fractures. Then her countenance would crumble, and her father would have her.

Tara gave the kitchen doorway, lit by the eerie glow of the microwave display, an uneasy glance. She was famished, having taken an early lunch, then skipping dinner. She had noshed at the party, but nothing of substance, and the alcohol made even her bones feel hollow. The emptiness in her stomach paled in comparison to the fullness of her bladder, however, and the warning sirens it had been firing off for the past ten minutes finally sank through the heavy layers of her conscious. Suddenly, the laces on her sneakers seemed too time-consuming an impediment; she practically ripped the shoes over her heels, sliding her socks halfway off in the process. Still clutching the grocery bag filled with Wednesday’s purchase, she made a beeline for the bathroom.

~*~

“So how did you like the party?” Cordelia asked, as the two girls scurried toward the shelter of Ellicott Hall. Her teeth were chattering. Above them, the three-story tall Gemstone banner whipped violently around in the gusting wind, all but tearing its anchoring lines from the windows. It folded and snapped taut, releasing a pocket of air that blasted the sky like the report of a cannon.

Willow jumped as the sound shocked her out of her reverie. She shook her head and hopped a few steps. “I’m sorry, what did you say?”

Cordelia frowned. “You’re not ever really here, are you? I asked if you enjoyed the party.”

“Oh, yeah it was neat,” Willow replied meekly. “Uh, how about you?”

“Yeah, it was all right, I guess. I was hoping the guys would be a little more…what’s the word?”

“Civilized?” Willow guessed.

“Polished. But it was pretty fun, overall. Buffy seemed to have a great time.” Cordelia reached the door first, so her back was turned as she spoke. Willow, unable to read her expression, found her tone difficult to gauge.

“Yeah. I’m, uh, sorry about that,” she hedged. The building’s heat was a blessing, and for several moments they stood just beyond the entryway, letting it blast their skin.

“Look, yeah I know, I swallowed the bitter pill with the Riley thing at first,” Cordelia explained, “but you know what? Forget him. His loss, anyway.” She pushed the button for the elevator, and quickly ran her last statement back through her head. “Well, not that Buffy is a loss or anything. You know what I mean. It’s a stupid thing to be mad about in the first place.”

“That’s, uh, probably a really healthy perspective—and, oh, wow, and I’m sounding exactly like my mother.” Willow wasn’t convinced that her roommate’s heart was agreeing with her head, but at least she was trying to be mature about the situation. “In any case, it was really nice of you to invite us in the first place.”

Cordelia shrugged. “It’s not like it was my party or anything. I mean, your boyfriend was playing at the thing, right? I sort of assumed you had gotten an invite from him, too.”

“Uh, right. Yeah, I’m sure he would have.” The girls took six steps to the right—Willow had noticed that the probability of an elevator arriving was directly proportional to your distance from it, and that the floor it began on was completely unrelated—and climbed into the lift.

“So did he gawk?”

“What?”

“Did Oz gawk at you when he saw the—you know.” Cordelia swept her hand down, indicating Willow’s outfit. “The new, improved Willow?”

“Oh.” The redhead had forgotten her atypical attire, but the power to her embarrassment generator had been cut much earlier that evening. It was discomfort of a different type that filled her, now. Cringing, she unlaced and stepped gingerly out of her boots, flexing her stockinged toes. She carried the boots with her as they exited the elevator. “I don’t know, really; I didn’t see much of him, because he was with the band, and then, uh, I was sort of…”

“Blitzed?” Cordelia smirked.

“Um, yeah, I guess so.” One by one, Willow removed the pins from her hair; by the time they reached their room, it hung in tangled copper ringlets. “I don’t know how it happened. I mean, I know how it happened, but it was so fast. Like, laughing and giddy one moment, then all ‘Oh Gods, the universe is turning on its side’ the next. And then I got so tired.”

“Yup, you’re between a Happy and a Sleepy drunk.”

“Oh, like moods?”

“Like dwarfs.” At her roommate’s confused look, Cordelia clarified, “When people drink, they tend to fall into categories descriptive of the Seven Dwarfs. You know, Bashful drunks, Grumpy drunks…”

“Doc drunks?”

“Doc drunks get wordy and philosophical, and tend to overanalyze everything.”

Willow considered the working hypothesis. “What about Sneezy?” she asked.

“Fine, so it’s not a perfect analogy,” Cordelia shrugged. “Anyway, you’re right; you went out like a light. I saw that blonde girl—what was her name?”

“Tara?”

Cordelia nodded. “Yeah, I saw her practically carry you over to the sofa. Honestly, you looked like you were about to puke.” The brunette scrounged through her purse and came up with a key ring, and unlocked the door. “Wait, you don’t still feel sick, do you? Because if you think you’re going to be sick, trust me: get it over with now.”

“No, no. I’m good. No puking, here. Promise.”

“Good.” They entered the room, and Cordelia immediately retrieved a bottle of water from their mini fridge. Willow, her thirst suddenly registering, grabbed one as well.

“Thanks, by the way,” she began. “For the makeup, I mean, and the fashion advice and preening and everything. Uh, I was pretty freaked out about it, but now that the sheer terror is over and all, it—it is kind of neat. Like—oh! Like a roller coaster, you know? With the big ol’ scary hill at the beginning, but then when the ride’s over, you feel all—well, okay, I don’t really know; I’ve never actually ridden a roller coaster, because hello? Big ol’ scary hill at the beginning! But I can imagine it’s got to feel good. Like you’ve earned a merit badge or something.”

Cordelia laughed. “You’re a really weird girl.”

“Yeah. Sorry,” Willow said contritely.

“No, don’t worry. You’re cool, Willow.”

Willow coughed as a few drops of water slid down her windpipe. “Whoa. Excuse me.” She coughed again, and continued in a raspy voice. “That’s probably the first time both ‘cool’ and ‘Willow’ have appeared in the same sentence without any negating words or disclaimers, ever.”

Cordelia glanced at Willow’s reflection in the mirror as she took down her own hair, then lifted her makeup bag from one of the shelves. “Speaking of merit badges,” she said, “that was a hell of a kiss.”

“Merit—what?” Willow asked, spinning on her roommate.

“That display you and Tara put on at the party. Didn’t think you had it in you.”

‘Oh, Gods, nonono don’t start thinking about Tara again.’ Willow took a swig of her water. “I don’t—uh, I don’t know what you mean. I mean, it was a game, right? We had to kiss; that was the rules.”

“Maybe,” Cordelia said, sweeping a damp cotton swab over a blemish on her chin. “Although last time I checked, the rules didn’t specify that one player had to end up in the other’s lap.”

“Cordelia!” Willow gasped. “It wasn’t—I mean, okay, so she did kind of climb—hey, it’s not like the others weren’t—I mean, did you see what Faith and that Julie girl—”

“Whoa, whoa,” the brunette raised her hands, interrupting her roommate. “Far be it from me to judge the makeout methods of others. Just making a casual observation.” She flashed a toothy smile into her compact mirror and examined her teeth, picking at a little dark bit that was lodged between two of them. Dissatisfied, she grabbed her plastic tote of toiletries and dug through it for her toothbrush. “Like, say, casually observing that the temperature of the room shot up a few degrees when you two locked lips.”

Willow’s mouth moved, but no words came out, only a guttural sound.

“Anyway,” Cordelia continued nonchalantly, “I’m going to take a shower. You should finish that water.” She pointed at Willow’s half-empty bottle. “Be back in a few.” Cordelia took her towel and strode easily from the room, leaving a stunned, faltering redhead behind.

~*~

“So, here we are,” Riley stated. He had pulled the Jeep into one of the short-term parking spaces in front of the Tawes Fine Arts Building—as close to Buffy’s dormitory as he could get without holding up traffic—almost three minutes ago, but Buffy hadn’t yet jumped out of the vehicle.

“Um, yeah. Right, I should get going then.” Buffy checked her coat pockets for her dorm key, and lifted her purse from the floor mat to her lap. “So I’ll, uh, go do that.” She looked from the keys to her purse to Riley, and nodded. “Thanks for the ride.” She reached for the door’s handle.

“…Buffy,” Riley began.

“It was very nice to meet you.” Buffy spoke the words kindly, and even went so far as to offer up a friendly smile, but there was an underlying current of finality to the statement.

The young man wasn’t one to ignore a firm hint. “Yeah, nice to meet you, too. Maybe I’ll see you around campus, sometime. Keep it real.”

Buffy gave one last wave and shut the door.

‘Keep it real?’ Riley thought. ‘Keep it real? Jesus. Way to go, Finn.’ He wrung his fingers around the steering wheel, watching the blonde dart across the curving street and make her way toward the far corner of Anne Arundel Hall. ‘Well, salvage some dignity, man. Maybe you’ll get bonus points for hanging around long enough to make sure she—ah, damnit!’ he groaned inwardly, ‘I should have walked her to her building!’ He calculated the distance, but realized she had already reached a point where his rushing out from the Jeep would seem less like a gentlemanly offer after a brief lapse of manners, and more like an act of desperation. ‘Well, crap.’

The girl turned the corner, and then she was gone.

~*~

A muffled thrumming sound carried Tara up through the lightest layers of her slumber. Feelings that had been present in her dream adapted to the knowledge that she was awake, and rearranged themselves accordingly—the aching discomfort in her fingers relocated to the thigh they rested upon; the hollow feeling in her chest slid down to her grumbling stomach; the chattering of her teeth echoed in her ears, as they picked up a skittering noise playing counterpoint to the rhythmic pulsing. ‘Is somebody doing laundry?’ she wondered. It was a silly thought, she knew; according to the digital readout on the alarm clock, it was three forty-seven in the morning. Still, she couldn’t argue that the combination of noises she could register sure sounded like the apartment’s stacked washer/dryer. Tara rolled to her other side—the pain when moving her legs convinced her that they would be sore for several days—and reassured herself that Donny was still asleep in his bed. She turned her pillow over and rested her head against the cooler surface, letting the curious droning lull her back to sleep.

It was a car alarm from somewhere down on the street below that roused her next. Tara was startled by the amount of light shining through the slats of the blinds that were pulled over the bedroom window. Instinctively, she checked the clock, and was relieved to find she hadn’t yet slept through the beginning of her morning work shift. It might be a bad idea to rely on her father’s showers to wake her, she realized, but she didn’t like the idea of setting an alarm and waking up her brother so early in the morning.

Yawning, Tara gingerly slipped out of bed, and draped a bathrobe over her tee shirt and pajama bottoms. Ironically, Donny was already awake; she could hear the antics of Saturday morning cartoons wafting down the hallway from the television in the common room. Her brother hadn’t yet outgrown his love of cartoons; this was one of the many private bits of knowledge she had that made his sometimes dark and gloomy exterior so difficult for her to wrap her mind around. Sliding her feet into a pair of fuzzy slippers, Tara shuffled across the hall to the bathroom, disappearing through the doorway, then backing out a half-second later and staring down the hallway. She could see Donny sitting on the couch, a bowl of cereal in his hands. Beside him was a large pile of laundry, neatly folded and stacked.

Her brow knit, Tara approached the boy. “Donny, did—did you do the laundry in the middle of the night?” she asked.

“Hm?” He didn’t look up from his program. “Oh, uh uh; Papa must’ve done it.”

Tara blinked in wonderment at the stack of clothing. It was several loads; she knew she had been behind on the laundry, and from the looks of it, her father had done it all. It was separated into three stacks, one for each family member, although she noticed that a few of her socks and tee shirts were in Donny’s pile, and some of his items were in hers. He’d even done the towels; these formed the base of each pile.

“Did—did everything go okay, last night?” she asked hesitantly.

“Yeah,” the boy nodded. “He was pretty tired when he got in. I told him you had to run out to the pharmacy, and he said he was going to bed.”

“Oh, okay.” Tara wondered whether her brother was going to ask about the party, since he’d seemed so excited for her in the days leading up to it.

He didn’t.

“Well, I’m going to take a quick shower, and make some breakfast. Uh, you’ve eaten already, I guess. You want some toast or anything?”

“Nah, I’m good. Thanks.” Donny’s eyes never left the television.

“All right.” Tara moved carefully back to the bathroom, her sore legs protesting each step. She turned the faucet in the bathtub on, testing the water temperature every fifteen seconds while she undressed. In the garbage pail next to the sink she spied the plastic bag she’d stashed away in the mailbox last night, which at the time contained her evidence of a late night run to the pharmacy. ‘This is the last time I ask Donny to lie to Papa,’ Tara decided firmly. She splashed her face with water from the sink, then tested the bath again. Finding it warm, she pulled the lever to redirect the water to the shower’s spray, and drew the curtain closed.

~*~

Her hair still dripping, Tara trudged into the kitchen. She had just enough time for a quick breakfast before she needed to leave for work. Following Donny’s lead, she took a bowl from the dish rack and grabbed a box of cereal from the pantry. She watched, fascinated, as the bran flakes and raisins tumbled into the bowl, and she peered curiously into the box. ‘What are you looking for, a prize?’ she thought. ‘I guess Donny’s not the only one clinging to childhood far too long.’ When she turned up nothing but more cereal, Tara sealed the box up and returned it to the shelf.

She opened the fridge to retrieve the gallon of milk. Noticing a carton of white rice that had been present since their first day in the apartment, Tara held the door open while she threw it out, then weeded through the rest of the contents to be sure nothing else had expired. Happy with her work, she hefted the milk in her free hand and closed the door with a satisfying thwurp. Her fingers froze on the handle when her gaze traveled across a small rectangle of paper that was caught against the fridge door with a magnet, just inches below Willow’s smiling note. Tara’s heart thudded; her vision collapsed to the four sides of the paper, shutting the rest of the world out. It was a receipt for an 18-pack of Always brand Maxi pads, with the time and date of the sale clearly circled in pen. ‘Oh, Goddess,’ she realized, ‘it was still in the bag!’

Post subject: Re: Constants - (Updated November 21)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:26 am 
3. Flaming O

Dibs!

And hey, new chapters!

I've been lurking and reading and it's just getting too good, not to leave a message.

This is really an odd fic but in a good way. I mean, yeah, college girls. But Tara on the outside. Willow room-mates with Cordelia of all people. And kisses, but all is not as it seems. And Angst with a capital A, with all the Tara's dad and things.

I'm scared of what he has done and what he is going to do. Hope it doesn't go into super-dark territory and just treads the line like so far. It's chilling one moment, funny the other and hot the next. It's good.

Can't wait for the next update!

P.S: What's with the pads? Was Tara getting them when she was not supposed to, or the date and time not corresponding with where she told her dad where she was at that time?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next