The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Raven
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:46 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Yeah, I fought over that part for a long time. Everything I came up with sucked. I'll go back over it again, though. I always have these really grand ideas for the emotional processes my characters are going through, and then the dialogue falls flat. There are even parts of this story that still make me cry (I am so not kidding) when I go back over them to read or edit, because the emotional content in my head is so powerful. I wish I could get more of that out onto the page.

http://citychickenfarm.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:59 am 
3. Flaming O

awesome chapters 8 and 9. I'm looking forward to more of this story.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:39 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Has anyone got any name suggestions? Maybe you've been holding onto the perfect name but never found a home for it? It needs to be simple. The character it'll belong to is a mystic, a kind of a fortune teller. She's very important, so nothing cheesy like Tellsie or Astra. (Those were the two other choices my parents thought about when I was born....)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:48 am 
19. Yummy Face

Name suggestions: Alina, Anca, Atasia, Cerasela, Doira, Dumitrita, Florica, Iolanda, Lavinia, Marioara, Mihaela, Niculina, Otilia, Rafira, Raluca, Reka, Rozalia, Smaranda, Sorina, Tecla & Viorica.

I hope those are any help... Those are Romanian female names...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:13 am 
4. Extra Flamey

I'm battling with the idea of using other Whedon characters, specifically Firefly folks, in this fic. Input?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:19 am 
19. Yummy Face

Other writer's have used Firefly characters in their stories... If you think Firefly characters fit in your story, use them...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:07 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

The preacher wouldn't go astray ... so go ahead I would be interested to see how you'd utilise them.

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:15 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Shepherd Book? Intriguing..... *rubs chin thoughtfully* I hadn't even considered using him. Great character, though. Unless you're referring to Mal, who was the evil preacher in BTVS season 7, aka Caleb.

Thing is, I have a charcter I'd like to call Inara, I just can't seem to find a more suitable name for her. Bear in mind, this character is not actually Inara. That's my problem. Similarly, I've got a BTVS character in one of my chapters already, but she's not being called by her BTVS name. It simply wouldn't fit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:32 pm 
2. Floating Rose

This reminds me of a similar situation on another fic, "The Lamb", where there's a character named Ethan, but he was not intended as the Ethan of BtVS. At first, I couldn't think of him as anyone else, and whenever I read Ethan I always imagined Ethan Ryne, but after a few chapters that wore off and it was just that particular Ethan. It also helped that the writer said she pictured her Ethan as another known actor, so I just sort of switched visuals :P But that's just my experience, maybe other less visually-inclined readers had it easier (or not so easy) dissociating name and character.

I think if you can't see the character with any other name, then you should use Inara, and the readers will adapt. Plus, in your case, you may have a bunch of readers who weren't Firefly fans. On the other hand, for those who where, Inara was a regular character, unlike Ethan, so it would take some more adaptation, but I still think it's doable.

As for the BtVS character with a different name, I don't think that would be any problem at all, it's done often. Plus, I'd kinda like to guess which original character is actually an 'old friend'. I have fun in nerdy ways like that :P

And that there was me skipping the part were I tell you how much I really, really love your story and can't wait to see what happens next... :blush

Hope it helped a bit!

Ich bin für Liebe, ich bin für die die's lieben zu leben; ich bin für die, die Liebe geben auch wenns schwer ist im Leben.
- Curse, "Widerstand"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:57 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Thanks for the help. I've gotten so serious about this whole thing that I think I've forgotten to have fun with it. It's odd what a story will do as it takes over your life.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:03 am 
3. Flaming O

Hey taylorgirl6,

Your story is very interesting. I think it's full of some great characters, situations. The mystical/fantasy aspect of this is fascinating to me. It's not the style I usually write in, so I'm very happy to see someone else doing it well.

As far as all of your questions are concerned, my answer is simply to trust yourself and the decisions you make. If a Buffy character's name doesn't fit, don't use it. Let the readers discover who they are. If you want to use Inara, use it, and let them figure out who that character is in your story. (Also, feel free to write the note at the top, or respond to feedback and let them know what you're thinking.)

Above all, don't lose the fun in writing your story! Afterall, what's the point if it's no fun?

I love your work so far. I think it's wonderful. And if you ever need a hand or a suggestion, you're free to get in touch with me. I'll be as much help as I can.

M.

There's some more of my stuff over here: http://bonmot507.livejournal.com/

viewtopic.php?t=4929

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:13 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Thanks again for all the great feedback, everyone. It always makes me eager to post more.

LittleBit- You have a way of thinking of the least obvious things. It's an awesome gift.

Chance- I may take you up on your offer soon. By the way, your writing style is incredible. It may take me a while, but I can't wait to catch up on all your work.

TinyAnt- Great reference. It's nice to see other people's work that can enhance my own.

Chapters 10 and 11 are both pretty much finished, and the beginning of Part 2 is started, though the transition is giving me headaches. I need to skip forward eight years, but it makes my skin crawl to write something like, "So.... eight years later...." Has anyone else dealt with this?

Chapter 10

The scent of frying sausages and bacon wafted through the tent opening and under Willow’s nose. Her eyelids fluttered, then parted, letting the filtered morning light into her eyes. She sat up abruptly, uncertain of her surroundings as she suddenly remembered her dream from the night before.

Red and gold leaves fluttered through the forest on an early autumn breeze. Her bare feet crunched in the dry, brittle covering over the warm soil as she picked her way to the furthest tent in the clearing. It was red and gold, exactly like the leaves. The cloth parted in anticipation of her arrival, and a soft whisper welcomed her. “Come, Willow,” it called. Inside, a beautiful woman in a midnight blue gown greeted her with an enigmatic smile. Her straight, black hair was parted in the center of her head, revealing a third eye set in her brow. It pierced through Willow, seeing everything in her past, her present, and possibly her future. “Sit,” the voice requested, though the woman’s mouth did not move. Willow sat on a cushion of silk, drinking in the spicy aromas of incense and oil. Colors she had never before seen drew her attention astray, and every time she turned her gaze, she was met with the sight of yet another wonder she could not comprehend. “There is more time than you know,” the voice reassured her. “You cannot take it all in at once.” Willow returned the luminous smile that was offered, losing herself in the darkness of the third eye which penetrated her thoughts. “When you are ready, I will be here.”

“Inara,” she whispered into the vacant tent, aware that the dream was not simply a dream, but a message. Hepsebah had spoken to her in the same manner in the past, but those messages were never so complex, so beautiful, so real.

Hoping she was ready to face the uncertainty of another meeting with the band of misfits outside her temporary home, the redhead tidied her cot and left the warmth of the tent.

Turl and Catch were first to find her in the bustle of early morning meals and preparations. “Good morning,” they said simultaneously, both bowing low to her. Their tightly muscled bodies rippled with strength as they bent before her. Willow found herself fascinated with their clothing, its vivid orange and blue accents far brighter than any cloth she had seen in the Drylands marketplace.

“Good morning, Turl and.... um...”

“Catch,” the young man on the right grinned, his delicate face lighting up. “Most people forget my brother’s name,” he turned to his mirror image, “but I’ll make it easy for you. You see, we’re acrobats-”

“Of course she can see that,” Turl interrupted.

Catch glared at him. “As I was saying,” he turned back to Willow, smiling again, “he twirls and I catch! It’s very easy to remember.” Willow frowned, not entirely understanding. Catch sighed and rolled his eyes, “I know, I know, Turl and twirl. Right?” She nodded. “We toured far in the Northlands when we were children.”

“Ah,” she suddenly understood.

“Damnable Northlanders,” Turl cursed. “It’s not a difficult letter to pronounce if you just try. Our poor mother cried for weeks,” he sighed. “After a while, we decided it would be too much trouble to change it on the billing posters, so it stuck.” Willow choked back a giggle. The twin acrobats were odd, but she felt very warm in their presence.

“Are you hungry?” Catch took her arm gently. “Linn cooks the most magnificent sausages,” he led her to the fire pit.

The sight of a mighty bonfire amidst the trees made her heart beat heavily. It reminded her of home so much that the tears flooded her eyes before she could control her reaction. Dozens of people milling around the hand-built tables and benches stopped to attend her. Turl guided her into a sturdy chair, Catch produced a colorful cloth to wipe away her tears, and Bog met her with a steaming cup of tea. Surprised at how quickly they all came to her aid, Willow felt a fresh bout of tears erupt from within, wracking her thin body with sobs.

A pair of hands tenderly combed her long, red hair over her shoulders, pulling her into a comforting embrace. “Shh,” Penna rocked her. “It’s alright now, Willow.”

“It’s just,” she blurted out, “I haven’t,” sobs shook her uncontrollably.

Penna held her tighter. “You’re safe here. I know it’s hard to trust that after everything you must have been through, but we’ll show you. Just let us keep you safe.”

“What’s all the fussin’?” a husky voice from behind called out. All eyes turned up, and Willow felt cold creep into her bones. A shadow fell across her, stealing the warmth and light from the fire.

“Trace,” Penna reasoned, “I told you last night. This is Willow. She’s come to-”

“Ain’t no one come to do nothin’ less I say it’s so,” the darkness slunk further over the misfits, overwhelming Willow’s vision. She turned her head to the left and saw a figure she couldn’t seem to focus her eyes on. A murky silhouette strode between the crowd and where the redhead sat, clearly staring into her, though she couldn’t even find eyes in the blackness. “So,” the voice continued, clearly female, “this is what it’s all about? This tiny thing is supposed to be one of us?”

“Willow,” Penna faced the girl, “this is Trace. She’s-”

“I’m in charge, and don’t let that slip your mind. These misfits,” a shadowy arm reached out from behind a cloak and motioned at the crowd assembled, “they’re alive because of me. Alive. Would have been dead at the hands of your kind had it not been for my quick thinking.” The anger coming from the inky shape was far more palpable than her form. “So don’t let her pathetic nature deceive you,” she spoke to her followers. “Her kind kills our kind.”

Linn stepped into the argument, a pan of sizzling sausages still in his hand. Two strides brought him from the far side of the fire to where Willow sat, stunned to silence by the violent words being thrown about. “Calla sent her.”

“I don’t give a damn if the Ancients sent her!” Trace roared. “Just look at her,” Willow felt a hand wave over her features. “Two eyes, two ears, perfect little nose,” Trace taunted. “Ain’t nothin’ freakish about her.”

Confused, Willow decided speaking up could make things worse, but perhaps it might also heal the situation. It was worth trying. All of this bickering was getting them nowhere, and she was tired of being the subject without having a voice. Hoping she wasn’t sealing her death warrant with the unstable leader, she stood and faced the shadow, bringing her arms out to both sides of her body, palms up. The trees shivered around them, though no wind blew. “Shadow to light,” Willow spoke, her voice firm and commanding. A swift wind suddenly leapt from the nearest tree branches and swept through the gathering, blowing grit into the eyes of her onlookers. Sunlight met their eyelids, encouraging them to look once more upon the scene. Willow still stood with her arms wide, though before her now stood a muscular girl in tight black leather and silk, a long black hooded cloak trailing behind her in the remnants of the conjured breeze. Daylight played over the dark waves of hair which sprung from beneath the hood. Menacing black eyes shot through Willow, furious at what she had done.

“So,” the woman’s sultry voice now sounded more human, more normal, and it clearly came from a visible source. Her cherry red lips curled into a cruel smile. “Turns out Red here might just fit in after all.” She eyed the gypsy with what could only be described as hunger, then turned to address Penna. “Take her to Inara.”

“But-” Penna began. She was silenced with a harsh stare. “Of course.”

Stepping back into her dream from the night before, Willow walked through the madronas to the furthest tent in the encampment. Penna had refused to accompany her. “Inara is...” she stared off into the trees, thinking. “She keeps to herself. We don’t go to her unless we’re invited.” Mustering what bravery she had left, Willow took hold of the beautifully decorated tent cloth and pulled it aside. She stepped into a paradise of color and spice, nearly identical to that which she had dreamt. Colored glass bottles lined the walls, gilt-edged frames of painted landscapes and people graced what vacant spots remained amidst the chaos of objects. Feeling suddenly ashamed, Willow removed her worn boots and threw them out of the tent behind her.

“Thank you,” a voice whispered in her mind. Willow glanced around to find the source, her eyes landing on the same woman from her dream. Her legs were curled under her as she sat on a pillow of silk. “You want to understand me,” the voice went on, “but this is not the time for that.” The woman’s mouth never moved, though Willow knew without hesitation that the words came from her. A third eye blinked at her as the redhead crept forward to sit beside Inara. “Trace believes I can see into a person’s mind, see their thoughts, know what they fear, what they love, and what they will do.” Her delicate fingers sought out Willow’s arm, taking it gently and rolling up the sleeve. Willow felt no reason to resist. “But I am only capable of seeing what you permit.” Her hands felt Willow’s skin, tracing up and down her forearm.

“Can you see others,”Willow asked eagerly. “Others far away?”

Inara turned all three eyes up to meet Willow’s questioning gaze. “You wish to find Tara, and yet it frightens you more than you will acknowledge.” The truth cutting her too closely, Willow withdrew her arm and looked away. Though Inara was correct, Willow had hoped to mask her question under the guise of finding out about the Circle, perhaps even Calla and Verla. “Before you can find her, you must reconcile your past. Only then will she reveal herself to you.”

“She’s cruel, Penna,” the little green boy wrapped a python around his shoulders and neck as he walked with his older sister. “She scared Willow.” His forked tongue darted over his teeth every time he spoke the letter s. “She scared me, too.”

Penna ruffled his short hair affectionately as they made their way through the camp together. “She doesn’t mean it, you know. She just.... she wants everyone to respect her as a leader. We’ve been through such hard times...”

“You always defend her!” he stopped, backing away from Penna’s touch.

“I-” the cat tamer couldn’t find the words to explain anything to Phidi anymore. He was growing and changing, and with each passing year he became more independent, more intelligent, more wild. She silently cursed their parents again. Abandoning your children because they’re not like other boys and girls was a far more cruel punishment than anything Trace was capable of, but Penna could not bear to tell her little brother that. “This is our home, Phidi, and we have to abide by her rules.”

Grim’s eyes followed the twitching tail of the snake wrapped around the little boy. Life at the edge of civilization had become boring for the wild beast, and he took the only pleasure he could find these days in taunting and chasing the reptiles Phidi kept.

“Fine. But that doesn’t mean I have to abide by your rules,” Phidi yelled at her, then stormed off into the trees. “And keep that hairy thing away from my friends!” he called out over his shoulder.

Penna sighed and glared at her cat. Grim shrank appropriately, not needing another stern warning. Behind them the trees rustled, and they turned to see Willow emerge from the cover of frosty needles and leaves. “I’m sorry,” she began. “I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

Grim took the opportunity to improve relations with his master by prancing around the newcomer, rubbing his immense body against her legs. He purred so loudly, Willow truly felt the earth rumble beneath her feet. She stood completely still, terrified the tiger would turn on her in an instant. Penna snapped her fingers and pointed, and the blue feline crept back behind her, where he spent the majority of his time. “No, Willow, I’m sorry. This whole situation must be a complete shock to you.”

Willow smiled, allowing herself to relax. Something about Penna was truly charming, though Willow couldn’t pinpoint what it was. Grim unnerved her to no end, but he was clearly under the young woman’s control. “I used to travel to the kingdom, but I never had the fortune of seeing anything as spectacular as this place.”

“We stopped traveling, too. Dangerous times, right?” Her warm smile erased all of the fear that Willow had felt earlier that morning. “May I ask you something?” Willow shrugged, internally hesitant at what the question might be. “You’re a true gypsy, aren’t you?”

Willow looked away, staring intently at the peeling bark of a nearby madrona. Its gray-green leaves shivered in the brisk wind. She didn’t know what she was. Hepsebah had taken her in as a tiny child when Rowan, her mother, had died of a horrible fever. Willow’s earliest memories were of the Circle, of traveling, of trees. Her father had never been discussed, nor had her birth, nor Rowan’s past. So many mysteries permeated her life that Willow sometimes wondered if she knew her own name for certain. “I was.”

Penna tried to hide her excitement by ducking her head. Her long, brown hair fell over her face and away from her neck. For the first time since she had arrived, Willow noticed that her friend’s ears were covered in a lofty fuzz and slightly pointed at the tips. The fine hair continued down the girl’s neck and disappeared below her wool sweater. She glanced back up at Willow with a bright smile on her face. “Will you tell me about it? What it’s like to be magical? Really magical?”

Tilting her head at the request, Willow grinned back. “I might,” she teased, “if you will tell me what it’s like to be a cat...”

Penna laughed suddenly, then reached forward to take Willow’s arm in her own. “You’ll fit in just right here.”

The Royal Guard stood at attention at the castle gates, their red and black banners waving majestically in the cold wind of winter. A light frost clung to the full beard on their Captain’s face. “You bring news?”

A haggard messenger stood at attention beside his mud-stained pony, quivering under the glare of authority from the guardsmen. “News for the Queen,” he replied boldly.

The Captain nodded at his best soldier. “Escort him.”

A broad chested guard in full dress armor stepped out of the line, his chain mail jingling with every movement. Still shaking, the messenger abandoned his pony and walked before the quiet soldier. This was Went’s first journey into the heart of the kingdom. His eyes darted nervously about at the tall spires and broad towers of the Drylands castle, its thick stone walls bedecked in the Queen’s red and black banners. Guardsmen patrolled every inch of the keep, nodding formally to one another as they passed deeper into the courtyards and walls. Went considered striking up a conversation with his escort, but decided silence was far more prudent.

After walking for what felt like an eternity, the soldier behind Went stepped ahead and held out a gloved hand in warning. “Wait here.” He disappeared into a large hall lit with torches on both sides. At the end, Went could see a throne. Both sides of the entrance to the hall were blocked by the most enormous men the messenger had ever laid eyes upon. Eyes hidden beneath battle helmets, they maintained their position perfectly, never moving, never shifting weight from one foot to another. Went caught himself staring at them and forced himself to look away. “Come,” the captain’s guardsman announced, frightening Went out of his reverie. Together, they walked the length of a crimson carpet through the throne room, each footfall bringing them closer to where the Queen sat. At the base of the dais, the soldier pushed Went’s shoulder harshly, forcing him into a kneeling position.

Went squeezed his eyes shut and kept his head down, wishing he had never been so greedy as to accept a dangerous job like this for only two silvers. “You have something for me,” the Queen’s smooth voice filled the stone hall, chilling both the messenger and the guardsmen alike.

Daring to look up, Went found himself a mere three strides from the seated Queen, her blood-red gown cascading elegantly over the steps. Icy, blue eyes held him fast, preventing him from looking away. “Yes, Your Majesty. I bring a message.” Went silently exhaled, grateful he hadn’t stuttered. Though terror-stricken, he was captivated by the Queen’s beauty. Her fine, amber hair was pulled and braided into a loop above the low collar of her dress, accentuating the graceful curve of her long neck.

“I will hear it,” she announced.

“A friend,” he began, “in the south sends their warmest regards, but ill tidings as well. The gypsies live, but your men do not.” A chill ran through the bones of the messenger as the Queen’s fury shot from her eyes. “There is, however, a remedy,” he continued quickly. “One among them, a girl, carries that which you seek.”

“Where will I find her?” the Queen demanded.

“I know not, precisely,” Went answered, panicked at the Queen’s anger. “She headed north some weeks ago. But she is unmistakable. She has hair the color of flames.”

The Queen stood and paced about her throne. Her breath came fitfully, and her hands worked at one another with obvious impatience. “Is that all?”

“No,” Went replied. “Your friend wishes me to tell you that if you require assistance locating the girl, it will be offered.”

She turned to face him again, “At what price.”

“My master did not specify.”

Went suddenly felt a cold, steel blade at his throat. He hadn’t even noticed the guard approach him from behind. “Describe your master to me,” the Queen commanded.

“I-” Went choked, wincing at the sharpness of the sword cutting into his skin. “I would, had I met him.”

“Him?” she charged at the boy.

“I don’t know!” the messenger screamed in panic. “I never saw the one who paid me! Whoever it was sent a child,” he breathed hard. “A child. She gave me two silvers.... made me recite the message three times until I learned it full.”

Frustrated, the Queen backed away from the boy and sat once more upon her throne. With a glance to her soldier, the messenger was released. Went rubbed his neck, still fearful that he would never again see the outside of the castle. “You will answer this message, and I will not give you three chances to memorize the reply. Tell this.... friend... that I am willing to negotiate a price for their services. I want that girl, and I want her alive, no matter how long it takes. Furthermore, if I am toyed with in this matter, your master can expect to witness the full fury and force of my Royal Guard. This anonymity will not be tolerated.” With a wave of her hand, the soldier lifted Went to his feet and marched the boy out of the throne room.

Behind her, in the shadows of the ancient stone columns, an ornately dressed man emerged, his milky white silken suit and pale blue vest shining in the torch light. “I admit that you were right,” he conceded. “It was the gypsies of the south after all. But now the one we seek has fled. Do you honestly think this stranger who claims to be a friend to the throne will give you what you desire?”

The Queen continued to stare down the long carpet after the forgotten steps of the messenger boy who had brought her more hope and promise than she had felt in a decade. “It matters not. It is enough to know that she exists.” The man behind her nodded. “If we kill enough of her people, she will come to us.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:38 pm 
3. Flaming O

ETA: Dibs! Yay Me!

Scandalous! The whole damn Queendom is after our Willow! And some weird guy dressed in white too!

I'm a little punchy, but this is a lot of fun!

As for the "eight years" thing, well, there's a fair amount of things you could try... Although, I wonder... Alright, I'm just PMing you.

M.

viewtopic.php?t=4929

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:43 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I hope Willow soon makes peace with her past and is able to find her true peace in the arms of Tara... The Queen seems a truely creapy villain...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:57 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Did I make the evil queen cold enough? I really want her to be nasty. However, there's gotta be a soft side there too, right? I'll make her more complex later.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:13 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

This was an awesome update. You gave us a little information but not enough to really tell us anything. And you left us hanging.

Keep up the great work!

-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:12 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Alas, an unexpected day off work brings such joy! I think it's time to post another chapter. After a few days of editing and thinking, I finally feel good about this one. Many, many HUGE thanks to Chance for ideas, suggestions, and encouragements.

Chapter 11

The last of the hollow winter sunlight faded into dusk as Willow’s footsteps drove her deeper and further into the protection of the trees, alone, free and safe once more. She whispered greetings to them each as she passed, her gloved fingers lightly brushing their bark. Though she could never understand why or how, trees comforted her. It was as though they intended to keep her safe, to hide her from all that might harm. The scent of incense from Inara’s tent still clung to her hair and skin, driving her ever on. Willow found herself simultaneously drawn to and fearful of the mysterious woman, even after their encounter earlier in the evening. Unable to fathom what had pulled her in to talk to the mystic, the redhead shook herself back to the present.

Her hands stopped to feel the dips and curves of a small yew, though her feet carried her on. Lost in the intricate details of branches and bark, the young woman nearly stumbled right into a wooden wall set amidst the lofty evergreens. Waking herself into shock, Willow explored the foreign structure with both hands. “It’s a box,” she whispered, head tilted back to see the top and sides of the immense crate. It had obviously been constructed by hand, and not by a true carpenter. Splintered boards sagged and overlapped at odd angles, reminding her of the kinds of fortresses she and Ren used to build as children in their own woods. The memory of stealing boards and wire from Gobbler and Nuttail’s father, Ash, made her smile. They had all suffered the punishment of their deed as one, none willing to give up the single thief. As she explored, a deep rumbling from within shook the earth. Willow stepped back, colliding with someone whose presence she hadn’t noticed. Gasping, she turned and faced Phidi.

“Willow,” he beamed at her. “You found my secret.”

She wasn’t quite sure what kind of secret could be contained in a wooden cage taller than a wagon, nor was she comforted by the boy’s conspiratorial grin. “Phidi, what is this?”

He approached the crate slowly, extending a hand, but not touching the wall. “I found it. It was just an egg.” He faced her again, “I nursed it when it hatched. Penna doesn’t know. Will you tell her?”

Her breathing returning to normal, Willow reached out and took the boy’s scaly hand. “It sounds dangerous. How long have you had it in there?”

“It’s been growing since winter began. I think its wings are big enough now.” His tongue flashed between his teeth. “It’s tame. It understands me. Please don’t tell her, Willow. He’s my friend.”

Still holding his hand, she sighed and knelt in the frosty underbrush. Eyes level with his, she shook his hand firmly. “I can keep your secret, but only as long as it’s safe.”

Finding her way through the murky shadows of dusk, she stretched out an arm again, always searching for connections lost. Her gloves were tucked away, not for lack of cold, but rather to intensify sensation. Her childhood home haunted her steps, beckoning her to cry out for the loved ones she had lost. She had counted on all of them remaining true, protecting her as times changed, guiding her from youth to adulthood. Now they were even more lost than she.

“You’re a dream finder,” she asked aloud, less a question than a statement. Her hands held the delicate china cup Inara had provided.

The mysterious, dark woman smiled. “I have been known as such. A person can be known by many names.”

Dream finders, Willow considered as she ambled through low branches and blackberry vines. Some said they were but a tale of far travelers. Jesse had once told her about their existence. Far to the west, beyond the marshes, trees grew so tall the sky could not contain them. In them, the dream finders dwelt. They had no language, for they spoke with their minds. Few from the Known Lands had ever ventured that far, but fewer still had returned with tales of the mysterious fortune tellers.

“You’re far from home, then,” Willow drank her tea, still feeling as though she was caught in a dream. Her surroundings were too bright, too colorful, too perfect.

“You think of home as a place. In your dreams, home is on fire.” Crying before she could stop herself, Willow dropped the ornate cup, its cream colored shape shattering into a hundred tiny pieces. Light from the numerous candles and lanterns within the tent illuminated each shard. “Can you not see that, even divided, they still shine?”

Stopping to breathe in the scent of the sea on the wind, thoughts of the family she once knew drifted past. Gobbler, Nuttail and Ren laughed by the great fire while Mag scolded them for drinking too much ale. Ivy and Rosemary laughed somewhere off in the trees, their voices trickling in amongst the tiny streams that parted meadows from forested glades. Behind her, Willow could smell Hepsebah’s tea brewing.

“And then there is Tara.”

Willow wanted to leave. She brushed her hand over her damp face, cursing silently at her tears. “She’s gone.”

“You fight so hard to put her further away, and yet you fought to keep her close in Torrent.” Inara continued to stare intently into Willow with all of her eyes. “You can find peace here, if that is your wish, but it cannot last.”

Torrent, the red-haired gypsy closed her eyes. What a cursed place that had been. It still called and taunted her from afar.

“Even the Ancients can’t make me go back to that place,” she nearly spat. “It’s nothing but a lie.”

“Ancients?” Inara sat up suddenly.

A thousand voices spoke inside Willow’s mind all at once, deafening her, ringing in her ears, shaking her skull, and nearly ripping her mind apart. She screamed, a ghastly sound ripping itself free of her lungs. The floor pitched left and right, then struck her hard as she went down. She awoke moments later in the mystic’s arms. “I’m sorry,” the woman said over and over, the voice in Willow’s mind soft and soothing once more. “I thought you knew. I’m sorry.”

Chasing the strange thoughts and memories of that moment from her mind, Willow turned and walked back toward the camp. She hadn’t asked for an explanation, and she didn’t intend to inquire further.

“You trust her already,” Trace sneered. “Doesn’t take much, I guess.”

Penna glared back at her from the edge of the fire. Her hands were freezing cold, and the warmth of the blaze simply wasn’t enough to chase away the chill tonight. “I suggest you mind yourself around Willow,” she warned. “She’s powerful.”

Trace snorted and laughed. “Powerful? Listen to you! That little girl has nothin’ up her sleeve apart from a bag of old tricks. She ain’t magical, she ain’t powerful, and she ain’t a gypsy.” The well-built leader straightened herself up to her full height, pushing her chest out proudly. “We’re the only gypsies left in the Known Lands, Penna. Just me, you, and a bunch of freaks who couldn’t fit in with normals like her if we tried.” Penna absently combed her hair back over her ears, hiding the downy fur that grew down her neck. “Listen up, Pen,” Trace leaned forward, taking the younger girl’s chin in her hand delicately, “we’re a family here.” They held each other’s gaze for several breaths, Trace holding the dark-haired girl protectively. Penna’s eyes never wavered. “You really wanna risk all that by havin’ Red in camp with us?” The leader’s tone was more gentle than she had intended, almost plaintive. “Fine. She can stay. Just don’t come cryin’ to me if things turn ugly.”

“Faith, I-” Penna tried to thank her, but her words were cut off by the leader’s harsh grip on her face.

“I told you,” she said through gritted teeth, “that ain’t my name.”

A rustle in the underbrush caught their attention, Trace dropping Penna’s chin quickly. The subject of their conversation emerged from the towering trees, appearing, for all they could see, as though she had been one of them up until the moment the firelight struck her cloak. The rest of camp was quiet. It was late, and all but the twin acrobats on guard duty were asleep in their tents. “You’ve been gone a while,” Trace mentioned, hoping to put Willow on the spot.

“I needed to walk,” the redhead answered, moving closer to the fire.

“Well you should be careful around here after dark,” she emphasized the last word, a shadowy gloom swirling around her feet. The cloud grew until it consumed her entire form in blackness, then blew away in an instant, leaving the place where she once stood vacant.

Penna sighed heavily, tired of the leader’s theatrics. “Our camp is perfectly safe,” she reassured her new friend. “Just mind the smoke and mirrors within,” she smirked.

“You love her,” Willow said all too quickly, suddenly aware that she may have stepped out of her place.

Her pale face coloring, Penna smiled a little. “I suppose it’s obvious enough. Phidi wouldn’t forgive me if he knew.”

“You can’t always choose who you love,” the red-haired girl kept her eyes focused on Penna, resisting the urge to look away, pushing the thoughts of Tara’s warm hands from her mind. They beheld one another in silent regard for a long time, neither wishing to break the silence nor the bond of friendship which grew stronger with each passing day. Willow’s mind turned to thoughts of the painted, misshapen, distorted faces in the camp, feeling her heart close in on itself one last time. They’re good people, she reasoned. But love will only bring death and more pain. I can become one of them without letting them in. She continued to smile at Penna, content to sacrifice her emotional needs for the security of lies. Calla was right. No one will come looking for me here.

“Send them at once,” the Queen ordered. “Leave no city standing until she is found.” Her arm remained outstretched, even as she faded from the Captain’s view. He marched through the cold halls, eager to taste the winter air and ride into the wind once more. It was the highest privilege in the Known Lands to serve the Queen, and Captain Vrint wore it well. His armor was polished, the leather oiled, and his sword bore an edge sharp enough to shave a pack of giant wolves.

“Ready the horses!” he barked at the stablehands who met him near the main gate. His second and third in command saluted him, awaiting their orders. “Charge,” the Captain began with the lieutenant, “get me your best fifty. We leave at sunset.” His heart longing for the honor of battle, Charge leapt into action. Turning to walk along the immense castle wall, Vrint signaled for the first in command below him to follow. “Change is heavy in the wind,” he began. “This mission will bring us to the very edge of the kingdom, and it will redefine our role as hero to the people.” The commander nodded sagely. “Be sure to bring our new weapon on the journey, Fain. We shall lay waste to any who would harbor this sorceress.”

Assembled at the castle gate, fifty-two trained, armed men sat astride their war horses. Together they set their course for the southernmost reaches of the kingdom, knowing that the future course of history would forever be traced back to their departure. The winter sun set low on the horizon, taking with it any hope for peace which had remained in the Known Lands.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:38 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for excellent update-y goodness... I hope Faith/Trace is not going to be a obstacle to Willow... Is there a dragon in Phidi's box? If it is, it's going to be a powerful ally against The Queen and her goons...

Last edited by Zampsa1975 on Fri May 02, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:59 pm 
3. Flaming O

Yay!

I've already told you -- it's fantastic.

M.

viewtopic.php?t=4929

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:26 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Thanks go out again to any and all keeping up with my story. Don't hold back rants and raves.

This chapter is the beginning of Part 2, which I've been desperately waiting to get to for a long time. Hopefully you'll start to see why I put people and things in specific places. There's a lot to look forward to in the next chapters.

Chapter 12

Change swept over the landscape from north to south, heedless of mountain ranges, towns or cities, regardless of lives kept or lost. A retrieval mission at its outset, Captain Vrint’s army was now over five-thousand in strength, but hope of finding the red-haired sorceress had dwindled. In exchange, and under the Queen’s immoral authority, the Royal Guard grasped the Drylands communities by their most vulnerable needs. Crops suffered under near constant drought, conspirators were jailed and executed, and fear seeded in the soil faster than grass or trees. Intolerant of township law that differed from royal decree, the Queen’s Royal Guard became the most fearsome military force in the Known Lands, its vice grip on her people both exacting and deadly. Even the most minor offense was punishable by imprisonment. The surplus of prisoners had brought about a healthy slave trading market, changing the thriving Drylands marketplace into a dusty, dirty, shameful hub of vassal commerce. Espionage and treachery were thriving businesses that attracted new recruits daily. As commodities became scarce, morals and ideals were traded for meat and bread.

Far to the south, a growing threat hovered over towns and villages alike. Fires raged, wyverns decimated entire settlements, and hoards of displaced townsfolk flowed north into the Drylands city. Rumors of rogue militia were whispered in every pub from Vail to Deathwatch since the Queen’s declaration of death warrants for any gypsies or harbingers of magic within the kingdom’s boundaries was issued. A new price was attached. The delivery of a living witch to the Drylands castle was now worth fifty golds, a sum which could turn even the most loyal hearts against kith or kin.

Not all, however, had given into the darkness of the age. Heros rose up from the ashes of villages burnt, rebels sprang from within the Drylands city, and brave travelers joined forces alike, all determined to see freedom in the Known Lands before all recognizable civilization was lost to royal oppression. Some were born noble and righteous, others came from the depths of poverty. Together, they held the mighty strength of the Royal Guard at bay, using tree and landscape to their benefit. Insurgents within the castle walls conspired, planned, and waited, every ear bent low to the ground in expectancy of the day a genuine leader would emerge. Some prayed to the witch goddess the Queen so eagerly sought, others turned their eyes to the sky, hoping in vain for a foe to the wyverns. After eight years of tyranny, most every chest in the Known Lands held its breath in anticipation.

Henry tipped the mug up over his thick mustache, cool ale washing over his dry lips. Dense creamy foam lapped at the edge of the cup. Half the drink gone, he set the mug down on the beaten wood surface of the bar. “What’s the news today, Merl?” He threw another coin at the bartender, raising his eyebrows in request of a second drink.

Merl filled a pitcher and set it beside his customer. “More of that black devil,” he growled. “Bad for business, he is.”

Henry grinned a toothy smile, foam in his beard. “But good for the slave trade, friend.” Merl grimaced, hoping his only regular customer apart from the royal guardsmen wouldn’t notice. He had little stomach for the selling and trading of flesh in the market. Dark times had plagued the Drylands for decades, but these last few years stole hope from even the heartiest souls in the Kingdom. “Tell me the latest, then.”

“More fires,” Merl wiped the bar with a grey cloth, “Longmire, this time. Those who didn’t perish will surely pour into the city soon.” The skies were filled with smoke nearly every day.

“And the Black Knight?”

“More of the same,” the barkeep said disinterestedly. “You don’t honestly believe the rumors, do you?”

The fat slave-trader laughed, his great belly shaking, though his mug of beer was held steady. “I sense fear in your voice, old man,” he taunted, drawing the attention of the senior guardsmen in a far corner. “A giant of a man, he is!” he bellowed, arms held wide. All eyes were on him as he regaled them with the tale. “Dressed head to toe in black, astride an enormous black steed, he stalks the countryside for victims of his cruel wrath.” Merl looked away. “His fury is brought down upon them with fire from the mouths of dragons!” the large man shook his fists dramatically. “None can stop him for he is Death itself.”

The two guards clapped and shouted in approval, laughing at the gullibility of commoners. They had all heard the stories. Farmers, tradesmen, and maids all spoke of the fearful Bringer of Death. Merl listened to each of them, finding the small truths in the fantastic details. He knew more than anyone in the Kingdom about the Black Knight and the fire-spitting wyverns from the East. In his room above the inn, he kept a hand-drawn map of the Known Lands, each village or town attacked marked with a date. Nearly every settlement east and south of the Kingdom had been burned. Longmire marked a northwest progression of their pattern of attack. The Kingdom was slowly being surrounded.

Merl traced the roads and rivers with his fingers, trying to decipher where the wyverns had come from. They were a new plague in the Drylands. The first had been sighted in the far southeast, where the ruins of a small village still smoldered. Only two had survived that initial attack to tell the tale that now circulated in every dwelling in the Kingdom. Though he could not find the exact point, Merl also searched for where and when the Black Knight had become intertwined with the terrible wyverns.

Most of his informational sources were too scared of both to give accurate details. Floods of people streamed into the Kingdom every day, all poor, all hungry, many becoming slaves before the end of their first day. The aging man wiped his face with a calloused hand, his short beard bristling at the thought of what Henry did with his slaves before they were sold. “That fat, greedy man should burn like the villages in the south,” he muttered as he continued to read the maps. His mind wandered to the face of the girl he had seen in Henry’s line this morning, and he suddenly found his eyes incapable of seeing the lines on the map. He stood and paced the tiny room, his shins scraping on the foot of the wooden framed bed in the corner. “Damn,” he whispered. He turned to look out the grubby window behind him, eager to see something, but not sure what he needed. Merl was restless. He had watched hundreds of innocent people marched through the city streets by Henry’s henchmen, sold for coins into unspeakable lives of terror, unending work, prostitution, or worse things he could not bring himself to imagine. But something about that girl had caught his eye. Try as he might, he could not let it go.

Merl had stood at the edge of the market, where the sunlight was less intense. Spring was giving way to the heat of summer, and he relished the cool shade of the fruit vendors. He handed over two small silver coins for a handful of red plums. “Still got that sweet tooth, eh?” the old woman selling her grandchildren’s harvest grinned, her last three teeth shining in the light.

He grinned back, “You know me too well, Caff.” He patted her shriveled hand with his own immense one. “How are the boys, then?”

Caff frowned, her wrinkled face, turning away slightly. “Well, you know how things are, Merl.”

He nodded. “I do.” His eyes wandered over to the line of new slaves, a long row of haggard bodies chained and tied together as they marched slowly through the market into the square. Bare, dirty feet shuffled in the dust, some staggering, supported by the sheer mass of their fellow captives. He saw Henry, the paunchy tyrant in charge of the slave trade, eyeing each with a practiced gaze from a distance, pricing them. Merl was sickened by the legal sale of court criminals, but any who interfered joined their ranks. Rescuing bondsmen was hardly a proper way to make a political statement in such autocratic times, so Merl chose to observe and remain silent. “I don’t care how anxious they get, Caff. Keep them out of this city.”

The tiny woman looked into Merl’s worn, grey eyes. “I will,” she promised. “But you know how much power an old woman has over three growing boys. Were you any different?”

He smiled again, squeezing the hand under his own. He bit into the first plum, juice running down his chin into his short beard. That was when he turned, when he saw her, and when his world shifted. Merl turned his head innocently, thoughts in another time and place, but eyes finding a face that took him elsewhere. Her eyes were hollow, and her body had seen far better days, but the chin could not be mistaken. The green of her eyes was identical. Her hair was the same color of red. Merl tried to breathe, but all he could do was watch the girl walk along in the line.

Merl again stood in the market, facing the square at its center, this time in the broad sunlight of late afternoon. His feet had carried him this far, but he could go no further. At the far edge of the market stood the slave-trader's tent. Its dingy cloth, once white, flapped open in the breeze. Merl could hear laughter, fueled by wine and ale. Henry had left his pub half drunk. It would take little more to put him out for the night.

“Who would suspect our humble barkeep has a desire for slave girls?" a sultry voice behind Merl shook him from his trance. He turned suddenly, coming face to face with a tall, thin woman in a cloak. Long waves of auburn hair peeked from within the burgundy hood, and eyes of gold danced in the waning light. Merl relaxed slightly, facing the tent once more. He sighed heavily. "Fine," she mumbled, "ignore my astounding wit. But don't think I'll forget this anytime soon."

"Your price?"

The shadows played over the lady's fine features, accentuating her high cheekbones and delicate complexion. "Quid pro quo," she said, irritation biting through her voice. "I require a...." she considered her choice of words carefully, "an alibi, so to speak." Merl again faced her, raising an eyebrow in inquiry. "No, no, you beastly thing, not for me." She lifted her fine nose, "I hardly think that would be convincing." The barkeep snorted in agreement. "But I do recall my personal guard was quite heavily inebriated when he returned to his quarters last night," she suggested.

Merl studied her as she spoke, the urge to laugh in her haughty face nagging with her ever word. "Fine," he acquiesced. The lady nodded and strode forward across the square, halted by one last comment from her coconspirator. "You were nicer when we were kids, sis.” She turned and smiled, then walked confidently to the tent.

“So I says to him, 'It'll never fit, pal!'” Henry burst out laughing at his own joke, his comrades joining in the humor. All three men stopped and stared as the well-dressed lady entered their place of business. Standing and encouraging his friends to do the same, Henry gestured at a recently available seat, “Mistress Kousa.”

She smiled and sat, brushing the graceful fabric from her head. A pile of perfect curls was revealed, elegantly piled and pinned at the nape of her long neck. The slave-traders were stunned to silence by her beauty and authority. “Thank you, Mr. Alvern. Gentlemen?”

They each sat, apart for Henry, who paced the large room, kicking bottles aside in an attempt to hide their drunken exploits. “What brings a fine lady like yourself from the castle on an evening like this?” he inquired, a nervous edge to his voice. Henry was well aware of Mistress Kousa's influence within the royal family, as well as the Royal Guard. It was rare, however, to find her amongst the commoners of the marketplace, business or otherwise.

“I have been informed that you have something I require.”

Greed crept into his fat face. “I do?” he replied, the very picture of innocence.

“I have need of a girl. One was delivered to you this morning.” The lady grew impatient.

Henry thought over her request, his pensive expression only mildly interrupted by his obvious desire to exploit the situation to its fullest. “I don’t seem to recall a girl...”

“I’m sure you don’t,” the beautiful woman smiled, her expression placid but very dangerous. “Oddly enough,” her smile grew devilish, “the royal tax assessor doesn’t seem to recall your payment last quarter.” She drummed her fingers on her lap.

Behind Henry, the thinnest and youngest member of the slave-traders union winced, fully aware of the bargain that was being struck. His uncle was ruthless, but he was no idiot. Thayer Alvern listened to everything that passed between the two parties, watching for the tiniest details. There were multiple interests in the girl they had acquired today, the first a mundane bounty-hunter, claiming her to be the great red-haired witch queen the Royal Guard sought. Henry had laughed at him outright. Another offer was made by the owner of the highly reputed brothel on the south edge of the city. Sanjer was vile, but he paid well for his women. Now a noble woman of the castle sought the girl, though her reasons were as mysterious as her presence. Thayer had never met the Mistress Kousa, though his uncle had told him many times of the powerful families at the beck and call of the Queen.

“And you think I’ll simply hand over an obviously valuable item for your pale threats of blackmail?” Henry growled, his face reddening.

Mistress Kousa rose and faced the portly slave-master, her spine straight and tall, chin held high. “I will not be spoken to in that tone, Mr. Alvern. Remember your place,” she warned. All men present shrank at her exhortation. “Now,” she spoke calmly, “I came here this evening to make a purchase. I see no reason for this transaction to end poorly.” Henry breathed in and out, his great belly shaking with the effort. “Since you believe her value to be high, I will allow a payment that reflects your interests.” She withdrew a simple purse, opened it, and placed five gold coins on the shabby table at the center of the room. Any wishes for protest were silenced by her solid stare. “Bring her to me. Now.”

Willow gazed up at the jewel blue sky of twilight, entranced by its beauty. In her mind, she was resting in the meadow she always ran to as a child. In reality, she was surrounded by fellow slaves, crowded into a cage built for animals. Most had run out of the energy required to fight or struggle. All were hungry and tired. No one had the strength for anger anymore. The stench of human filth was hardly bearable.

“I told him to pay," the old man beside her rambled on. Willow had lost track of all the stories she'd heard since her arrest two weeks before. Her mind and body had worn thin from the deprivation of food and sleep. "But he said, 'No, no, they won't come for us,' but they did. They came."

Willow watched his mouth move, the words fading into the heat radiating up from the dirt floor of their prison. Her mind hadn't recovered from the shock of her transition. Fifteen days ago she was a free woman. Now she was about to be sold as a slave. "I'm a slave," she whispered. "I'm a slave." Her lips were cracked and dry, caked with blood from the most recent beating she had received from the guards.

"No, you are a free traveler," someone behind her whispered back. She turned her head and found herself staring into the swollen, black eye of a half starved man. The tight, dark curls of his hair framed his tanned face in a way Willow found familiar, though she could not place her feeling with a name. "I've been watching over you. I'm sorry I couldn't help you last night," he indicated her swollen lip.

"Who are you?" Willow sat up.

Her new-found friend glanced around the pen, "A fellow traveler. From the north."

Scooting closer, the redhead examined his clothes. Thin and worn and caked with dirt, he looked like everyone else imprisoned there. His face, however, told a different story. Dark skin, smooth and tanned from long days in the sun, framed his dark brown eyes. "What clan?" she asked.

His eyes fell in sadness. "The Risen."

Rumors of the ancient gypsy clans from the north had trickled down to where Willow had once lived with her own clan. Though none were still together as families, their memory lived on in individuals who still traveled the hills and plains, living a nomadic life. The Risen had settled near Deathwatch a century before, the strongest of all the northern gypsy clans who had survived the great floods. “How did you get here?” Willow’s face softened, her eyes keen to the pain the man suffered.

“That’s not important.” He took in their surroundings again, this time pulling a small object from within his shirt. He handed it to Willow, his touch lingering for a moment. “I know who you are, and I know your significance.” He stared deeply into the young woman’s eyes, reading her from the inside out. Willow felt warm metal in her hand. “There are others,” he whispered, his hands opening hers.

She watched him trace lines across her palm over the tiny metal tidemark. Crossing her palm, then drawing short lines along three of her fingers, his lips moved with the incantation.

“I’ve brought you a gift,” Jesse stretched out his hand, palm up. In it was a faded silk scarf, bundled and wrinkled. Willow scrunched her nose at the sight of the ugly orange cloth. “No, silly girl,” the old man laughed, “unwrap it.” He nudged her with his great, scarred hand. The skinny child reached for the scarf, pulling open its ends with delicate hands. The summer sun glinted off the golden edge of a thin coin, rippled and worn from the passage of countless hands. Willow gently touched it where it sat nestled in the crumpled cloth. Her big green eyes looked up at Jesse with wonder. “It’s a tidemark,” he explained. “From the north. Go on,” he encouraged.

Willow took the coin in her own hand, feeling its warmth against her skin. Gold was rare enough outside the Drylands Castle walls, but this coin was even more unique, shaped by hand, not minted by the metal-smiths of the Treasury. “How did you get it?” she inquired.

Beaming with pride, he began his short tale. “Glad you asked. See, I was out on an... errand,” Willow noticed the ghost of a frown pass his face, but it fled quickly as he went on. “Anyway, I meets this fella come down from the north to trade, I’m supposin’. All full o’ bluster and fancy talk, he was,” Jesse puffed up his chest in imitation, his actions rewarded by a giggle from the girl at his side. “So’s I asked him had he been near Deathwatch. ‘Yes,’ says him, ‘an’ you wouldn’a believe what I found there.’” Willow watched in rapt attention. “Pulls ou’ a big ol’ leather satchel full o’ treasures, all of em worthless tripe, no more from th’ north than you or I. Except this,” he pointed at the coin in her hand. Willow stared at it again, taking in every tiny detail of its surface on both sides. “’I’ll take tha,’ says I, and he says back, ‘Tis a worthless, worn coin, my man. Would you not rather ‘ave somethin’ pretty-like fer yer wife then?’ An’ I chuckles as I always do,” he grinned a wide smile. “’No,’ I answers, ‘jus’ the coin.’ We traded on the spot.”

Willow turned the coin over and over. She handed it back to him, “I can’t take that from you, Jesse. It must be worth a lot.”

He picked it up once more and deposited it in her tiny palm. “Once, when gypsies roamed all o’ the Known Lands,” he closed her fingers around the metal, “messages was hard to send. Winter would freeze trails an’ roads, an’ long distances claimed lives. So up north there, the Risen clan started makin’ these here tidemarks.” The old cobbler opened the girl’s hand again, this time motioning over the coin with his own hand. As he spoke, she felt heat radiate from the metal, warming her hand. “Don’t burn like parchment, nor fall ter pieces if it gets wet. An’ if it fell in ter th’ wrong ‘ands, no harm done.” His hands continued to work. “But w’ the righ’ key, ye could unlock th’ message innit.” His eyebrows furrowed together in concentration, hands working to no avail. At last, he sighed heavily and dropped his hands into his dusty lap. “An’ there ye have it. Won’t open fer the wrong person.”

Willow stared in awe at the tidemark in her hand. “There’s still a message inside,” she whispered.

Jesse nodded, “An’ there it’ll stay till th’ right person finds it an’ pulls it out.”

Watching the bruised man whisper over her palm, Willow felt the same warmth grow in her palm. “Do you know the words?” he asked.

“Words?”

He took her other hand in his own, showing her the motions he had drawn. “The enchantment is simple.” They traced a spiral from her thumb to her first finger, a cross leading to her wrist, and three short lines up her fingers. “Maela, roeda, tala,” he breathed.

Something tickled at Willow’s ears. She fought the urge to swat at the insects that had bit and stung her flesh through the day, and then she realized a voice was speaking to her. Her eyes brightened, caught by the battered man’s grin. “... trust in our messenger,” the soft voice buzzed. “Reza will lead you home to us. The awakening has begun. City Lost holds the answers you seek.” As quickly as it began, the voice disappeared, leaving the awe-stricken redhead to stare at the gypsy sitting before her.

“Reza,” she said.

He smiled. “Yes.”

“You were the boy... the one who found me,” she put together ties lost, her eyes blurring in and out of focus as she saw first the present, then the horrible past of Jesse’s death. Her mind raced, and she was suddenly aware of everything near them; the ache of her muscles, the chatter of voices, sobs of elderly men, horses marching through the open market, laughter of men nearby. Willow had been asleep. Years had passed before her shrouded eyes, people had come and gone, and she had slumbered through it all. Awake at last, she was hit with the pain and anguish that she had worked so hard to leave behind. She had not been in the company of any true gypsies since leaving the Circle eight years ago.

Reza watched the transition silently. When he saw that she had begun to come back, he spoke to her with gentle words and eyes that comforted. “We have searched for you for years, Willow.” He gripped her trembling hands in his own. “I did not expect to find you here, but I am glad for my arrest.”

“But,” the whirlwind of emotion and revelation spun the ground beneath her, “why have you sought me?”

Reza grinned widely, clearly expecting her skepticism. “Your reputation precedes you. Though scattered, we are not lost.” Willow thought his speech was overly cryptic. “I dare not speak of more in this place. I have sent word to help on the outside,” he gestured minutely at the bars that confined them.

Before either could say more, the slave-masters arrived with their brutish guards. Chains and keys clanged and jingled, and rough hands grabbed and pulled at bodies, searching for one in specific. Willow glanced desperately at Reza, both in alarm at the sudden intrusion. The question in her eyes was answered by confusion in his. Both queries were resolved by a gruff voice. “Here she is,” he grunted, taking hold of her short hair. Willow spared a pained look at her fellow gypsy as he faded into the background of prisoners, her feet dragging in the loose dirt as she was hauled from the cell and deposited into chains.

“It’s a shame,” a new voice grated in her ear, “you would have brought me a fair coin at market tomorrow.” She turned her eyes to the speaker, aghast at his enormous size. “Should have sold you to Sanjer, I suppose.” He sighed. “Alas, my own skin’s worth more than you will ever be. Drag her to the Lady!” he shouted.

On command, the guard took her hair again, heaving Willow to her feet. The chains about her wrists and ankles bit into her tender skin, limiting her steps. She could not look back at the only face that had been friendly in the last two weeks, though her heart begged her to try. Tucked safely in her hand was the tidemark.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:22 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... the Black Knight is Tara? I hope Tara and Willow are soon reunited...

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:17 am 
3. Flaming O

Taylorgirl, this is an amazing story. I don;t come out of lurkdom often, but I had to tell you how much I love this story! All the hard work will be worth it. I saw you had mentioned that you were hoping to see this published at some point... I think that is a definate probablity! Please keep going. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:57 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Great updates! I really like how the story is proceeding :D

-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:37 am 
12. Recently Gay

Topics: 1
I haven't left feedback for a few chapters, but I have been reading.

Wow, there's a lot going on here, but it flows beautifully. It's really holding my interest despite the absence of Tara in the narrative. Not that I'm not wondering about her story, but so far it's not a big issue for me, as Willow's story is so very strong.

It's a dark world that Willow lives in, and your writing fully conveys the breakdown of society when it comes under tryanny.

Quote:
As commodities became scarce, morals and ideals were traded for meat and bread.

Survival, by any means, becomes the order of the day.

Fabulous writing.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:06 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Bewitchedyke wrote:
... I saw you had mentioned that you were hoping to see this published at some point... I think that is a definate probablity!

Thanks for saying so. I'd hate to have to stay in a uniform until I retire. Gotta keep other options open, you know.

Zampsa1975 wrote:
the Black Knight is Tara?

Steal a girl's thunder much??? I will neither confirm nor deny the identity of the Black Knight just yet, though I doubt it'll be anything like what you suspect. Bear in mind, we're still meeting new characters as the chapters progress. I will give you this much.... the Black Knight knows what happened to Tara, and when Willow finds out, she's gonna get pissed.

LittleBit wrote:
Great updates! I really like how the story is proceeding

Glad I've got you hooked.

Paint the Sky wrote:
Wow, there's a lot going on here, but it flows beautifully. It's really holding my interest despite the absence of Tara in the narrative. Not that I'm not wondering about her story, but so far it's not a big issue for me, as Willow's story is so very strong.

What a huge relief that is! I've battled over how one-sided the beginning of this has been, but, as you'll see in later parts, it would be impossible to tell you where Tara is and what she's going through right now. Anyhow, the massive influx of characters Willow encounters is daunting enough.

Quote:
It's a dark world that Willow lives in, and your writing fully conveys the breakdown of society when it comes under tryanny.

It'll get worse before it gets better. Is that too cliché? If only there was a hero somewhere nearby.....

Last edited by taylorgirl6 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:37 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Sorry I've been slow to update. I hope this will keep everybody entertained while I work on chapter 14.

Chapter 13

The castle was dark and cool in contrast to the residual warmth of early spring outside. Mistress Kousa kept a swift pace through the wide halls with Willow in tow. The lady's well shod feet were silent on the stone floors, at which Willow stared with intense fascination. Her eyes could barely keep pace with her wonder at the immense structure in which they roamed. How many craftsmen had it taken to build such a manor? She held her questions fast on her tongue, vigilant of the noble woman's warning to her when they had first met.

"I expect you to remain silent," she began, strutting around Willow as she plainly sized the girl up. "I need you for a special task. You'll fill the role convincingly," she nodded in approval of Willow's demure nature. "When we enter the castle, speak to no one. Keep your head down. Follow me." The mistress had taken off at once, hardly waiting for her recent purchase to follow.

She had not uttered a word since. Willow followed obediently, incapable of speaking in the overwhelming enormity of her situation. A million questions burned at her lips, a few thousand doubts nagged at her stomach, and one very solid fear thrummed in her heart. How would she ever escape this place now?

They climbed a long flight of stairs at the far northern edge of the castle, catching glances of the military training camps just outside the walls of the keep. They climbed further, Mistress Kousa never slowing or tiring despite their hearty pace. Willow began to breathe through her mouth, lips and throat aching from thirst. On they went, higher and higher, until the stairs ended in a wide landing. Three doors faced in from three walls, each built of solid oak, strapped and locked with iron. Keys jingled in her hands as the mistress opened the door on their right. "You'll find water on the table. There should be a clean cloth as well," she gestured to their left. "There are gowns in the wardrobe. I'll have your dinner sent up in an hour. You will meet with me tomorrow morning at sunrise. Don't be late." With that, she left, closing and locking the door behind the young woman who stood, quite dumbfounded, inside.

Willow walked the length of the large room, stopping at the window cut into the west wall. The last of the evening light had faded, stealing the details from the landscape far below the tower.

Her fingers touched the glass, drawing her attention to her filthy fingernails, and for the first time in days she noticed how dirty she must appear. Turning towards the table in the corner, she caught the twirl of her own tattered dress in the large, framed mirror by the door. A girl she barely recognized stared back, each transfixed by the presence of the other. She stepped closer, her mirror image doing the same, until they beheld each other within inches of the immense looking glass. Her eyes had not changed, still green and wild as the trees which had sheltered her young life, but little else was familiar. Short red hair peeked from behind her ears, the straight strands ending well above her shoulders. The jailer had cut it her first night after being arrested. He told her he abhorred fleas. She pulled at the unkempt ends, willing it to lay flat. It refused. Her eyes strayed to her hands and arms, bruised, scratched, cut, and caked with dirt and blood. She looked for the basin of water on the waist-high table to her right and began to clean her flesh.

“Why?” a voice whispered in the shadows. She scrubbed harder. “Why, Willow?” the ethereal voice continued. “Why did you lead them to us?” The basin of water turned murky with the dust from weeks of neglect, punishment, and imprisonment.

Pausing to let her mind wander to the faces of the Cirque who had become her family, despite her efforts to deny it, Willow felt the hollow ache of tears in her head. She looked at her reflection, desperate to let the tears fall, but no amount of pain or fear could summon them now.

Turl and Catch had set the fires. Trace’s dark charm had enveloped the camp in unnatural darkness to provide cover. They were prepared. They knew what to do. “And we still died.”

The redhead closed her eyes to choke out the visions, telling her hands to keep moving. Willow cleaned and scrubbed for ages, relieved at the feeling of refreshment, but still frustrated at how much filth remained. The water was muddy and brown, the once clean linen now soiled beyond repair. Her efforts served both the orders of Mistress Kousa and Willow's need to let her mind rest from the confusion of the day. When she had nearly run out of dirt to scrub, a light knock sounded at the door. A key grated in the lock, and the door swung open to reveal a scrawny maid, barely half Willow's modest size, clad in a service gown and carrying a wooden tray laden with a meal fit for the Queen herself. The little maid stepped inside and set the tray down on the table next to the red-haired gypsy. "Your dinner, m' lady," she curtsied quickly, scrambling to leave as fast as she had entered.

Willow stopped her with a gentle hand on the girl's wrist, "Wait, please wait." The girl looked up at her. "I'm not a... lady,” she wrinkled her nose at the formal title. “Will you just.... stay a moment and tell me about the castle?"

The girl glanced at the tray of food nervously. "You're new here," she said simply. Her apron was far too big for her, wrapped twice around her thin waist. Her eyes darted around, always landing on the feast.

"Are you hungry?" Willow gestured to the food, hoping it might persuade the girl to talk. She took a slice of bread and held it out. It was snatched with a powerful force, then wolfed down in three bites by the underfed maid. "You're welcome to more. There's plenty," she said encouragingly.

"I can't stay, m' lady," the girl stared longingly at the roast beef and sauce. "Cook'll skin me."

"Just a moment longer, then," the young woman compromised, her own hunger growing by the second. "Eat your fill if you like. And please don't call me that. My name is Willow." She desperately wanted to gorge herself on the heavenly smelling dinner prepared for her, but information was more valuable than food right now. "Can you tell me why the Mistress Kousa brought me up here?"

The maid's eyes grew wide and her mouth slowed, gravy dripping down her chin. "Oh, miss, I can't talk about her. That'd be trouble for sure."

"Is she cruel?" Willow began to worry.

"No," the girl shook her head, forcing more meat into her mouth. "She's fair, just keeps her business to herself, is all. I don't want no trouble from her. She's a noble woman."

Willow thought on the information as the girl chewed. "She told me to meet her at sunrise. But my window faces west."

"I'll come wake you," the maid offered, still swallowing. “Anyway, you’re to be locked in for the night. Someone’s got to let you out.”

Locked in. Had she traded one type of imprisonment for another? "Thank you. Will you tell me your name?"

The skinny girl looked her up and down, wary and careful. "Jinna," she finally said, dusting crumbs off her apron.

Willow smiled. "Well then, Jinna, I'll see you in the morning. Thank you for staying a while."

"You know there are clean dresses in the wardrobe, right? You look like you just came from the slave market," Jinna remarked on her way out of the chamber.

A short rap at the door forced Willow’s eyes open, separating her from the only peaceful sleep she had enjoyed in weeks. Heavy rain pelted the west-facing window in the dark of early morning. A key grated in the lock and encouraged her feet to find the floor. Cold stone sent shivers up her spine. “Mornin’ m’la-” the maid stopped suddenly. “Miss Willow,” she corrected herself and curtsied. Willow yawned. “None o’ that, now,” she chastised. “An’ Mistress Kousa won’t be seen with you if you can’t clean up better neither,” she admonished the ragged young woman, pulling a hairbrush from her apron pocket. Motioning for Willow to stay seated, the maid climbed up onto the bed and began brushing the unruly red hair. “You need a new barber.” She pulled and fought with the tangles, bringing tears to Willow’s eyes.

“Let me,” she took the brush from Jinna, hoping to spare the rest of her locks from torture.

“You’re gonna need the Black Knight’s sword to get through them tangles.”

Willow stopped. “Black Knight?” She had overheard rumors of a black knight during her imprisonment in the dungeon. One man called him a savior. Another called him a devil.

“Sure you’ve heard of him?” the girl eyed her with skepticism. Willow shook her head. “Some talk big, but none up here’s seen him, is what I think. Them’s that come up from the south seem to know a fair bit more. I’ve heard,” Jinna began to whisper conspiratorially, “that he’s really a black sorcerer and not a knight at all!”

Willow’s heart pounded wildly in her chest. Could any of them have survived? Or were there more than the original number? Though she had left everything behind her so many winters ago, her heart still called out to the forested valley, always wishing for a reply. A black sorcerer in the south could only mean more witch-hunting, more death, and more loss. Had the Circle fled to safety elsewhere? Or had Ren stubbornly kept them there? It’s me they want, she told herself. I was a fool to think I could outrun fate.

“He’s faceless, too,” Jinna went on, oblivious to Willow’s inner conflict. “That can only be the doing of magic. Dark magic,” the girl’s eyes widened.

“Do you believe in magic?” Willow continued to untangle her cropped hair, still deep in thought.

Jinna rounded on her. “Course I do. But you don’t joke about it here,” she warned. “Anyway, if you want breakfast, you better hurry. Sunrise is soon.”

Willow smoothed her hair as best she could, then followed the skinny maid down to the kitchen. She was fed a simple breakfast, then sent to Mistress Kousa’s quarters on the east side of the castle. Fearful that she would lose her way, Willow mumbled Jinna’s directions as she walked. “Down the center hall, left at the red tapestry,” her feet carried her quietly onward. “Follow the light from the east window along the floor. Turn right twice, then left through the stone archway. Knock on the far right door.” The maid’s directions had proven flawless, delivering a shaking Willow to the doorstep of a destiny unknown.

“Enter!” a voice ordered from within before the girl had even raised her hand to knock. She slowly pushed the heavy oak door, blinded by the light that pierced through a wall of eastern windows. “Sit,” the voice again commanded, though not forcefully. Willow blinked and sought the chair that had been offered. When her eyes recovered, she found herself in a wide room, graced by twelve floor-to-ceiling windows of fine leaded glass, illuminated by the grey light of a rain-filled morning. Within each was a picture, telling a story she had never before seen. “I requisitioned them from the Kingdom’s glazier,” Mistress Kousa strode forward into the light, admiring the art. Her elegant hands traced the lines of the fourth pane, following the edge of a wave of water as it overtook the Western Shores. “Do you know the legend?”

“No,” Willow spoke, surprised at how thin her voice sounded.

“Once, before the land knew its own name, before the rivers knew which way to run, there walked the Ancients.” Willow’s eyes found the first pane of glass. Mysterious orbs of yellow light hovered above a landscape of untamed earth. “Mankind was but a glimmer on the horizon,” the lady went on, “as was the sun itself. The Ancients lit a fire upon it, casting warmth to the cold earth upon which we now rest. The wind blew its first breath, and the trees grew and bowed to their masters, their keepers.” She turned to Willow, abandoning the tale. “It is the story of the beginning, and of the end.” Willow examined the glass, one pane at a time. She tried with all her might to suppress the urge to dive at the pictures, to take them in her hands and rekindle the story that nagged her mind day and night. “It has fascinated me since childhood,” the mistress turned back to the light. “I choose to live and work under its glow, for I feel we have much to learn from the past. As for the future,” her voice grew colder, “our place is not always so certain.” Willow turned her focus back to Mistress Kousa. “No one in this castle knows your past, and that is how it shall remain. I want to make several things very clear,” she paced up the long chamber, her back stiff and straight. “First, you are no longer a slave.” Willow let out the breath she did not realize she had held. “Second, though you have the will of a free person, you still owe a debt. I expect you to repay it with loyal service. My position within this Kingdom has endowed me with the ability to...” she paused, thinking of the word she required, “employ you where your abilities will be most apt to flourish. Third, any conversation you engage in with me is of the utmost privacy. Fourth, you will be watched.” Willow felt a shiver run the length of her spine. This woman was clearly not to be trifled with. “Do not misunderstand,” the mistress’ face softened, “I wish to place in you the highest trust, but I believe that trust is earned. I wish to see you succeed.”

Willow cleared her throat. “Mistress,” she began, suddenly terrified to speak.

“Yes?”

Forcing the air from her lungs, the young woman nearly screeched. “I... I wonder what it is you wish of my service. I am not skilled at much...”

“On the contrary, my dear, I hear you are quite skilled.” Willow went pale. “I have spoken with the prison guard about your initial arrest, and it would seem clear that secrecy is no foreigner to you. Neither is the art of healing with herbs and potions.” The red-haired gypsy was silent, stricken with the accuracy of the mistress’ knowledge. “You see, Willow, information is my business. While there is much I do not know, I am privy to far more than anyone else within these walls. That is how I intend for you to repay your debt.” She leaned in close to the girl. “Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes,” the answer came softly from Willow’s mouth.

“Wonderful,” Mistress Kousa smiled with the teeth of a carnivore. “You shall replace Lady Mara, the Princess’ handmaiden. I believe Mara has taken quite ill of late.” Her voice was short, decisive, almost cruel. “The Princess is young, but I’m certain she will take to you. Many attend her, but she requires the guidance of a proper lady.” She looked disapprovingly upon Willow’s current physical state. “I will send for my personal maid to attend to your... needs. You will report to me any and all information you intercept beyond the normal prattle and drama of teenaged royalty. I will have your possessions sent up to the south tower immediately.”

“Possessions? I have nothing...” Willow tried to explain.

The mistress merely smiled. “That would hardly befit a lady, do you not agree? I think you will find the latest fashions quite stunning in comparison to life on the street. The indulgence of royal life can be quite comfortable.” Mistress Kousa struck a fine figure in the grey light, her trademark burgundy dress outlined in thin fibers of gold silk, matching gold laces tying her bodice elegantly and without indecency. “You are being given a second chance, my dear. Do not waste it.”

“Speak,” the Queen commanded her officer as they walked the length of the stone courtyard. Her long strides forced the middle-aged man to keep up, while too many fine dinners forced him to breathe heavily.

“The enemy advances,” he began, his grey and red beard shaking in time with his jaw. “By winter they will be at our very gate.”

The Queen stopped, her long gown sweeping forward over stone in the absence of her stride. Olive colored silk gathered and obscured her fine shoes, catching the officer’s eyes. He wondered for a moment if the cobbler felt threatened by her sheer power when the Queen’s foot was in his hand. “This is excellent news, Admiral. I am pleased with your progress.” He dared not smile, but her compliment soothed his nerves for the time being. After fourteen years of service in the Queen’s Guard, Admiral Tens was among the few remaining commanders who had survived her wrath, and his service record outpaced his comrades by four years or more each. Failure was not an option under her rule.

“I am prepared to continue with your original plan, Majesty,” he bowed before her, his formal battle regalia swishing as he bent, crimson and black flowing together as one. The Queen admired the colorful display, red lips parting in a venomous smile.

Reza gritted his teeth and held his eyes shut as eager hands probed his body. He was pinched and squeezed, his hair tugged on, teeth examined, and skin rubbed harshly as Sanjer haggled with Henry Alvern. "Open your eyes, dammit," the greasy buyer demanded, his foul breath worming its way into Reza's lungs as the young man tried in vain to resist.

"Careful with that," Henry bellowed, stepping in between his goods and his client. He had lost one valuable slave the night before, and he did not intend to let anyone else take advantage of him or his property. "You asked for the best of the lot, and this is it."

Sanjer took his wispy black beard into his left hand and twirled it around his thin fingers, scrunching up his face in thought. Black, hungry eyes peeked out from beneath his long eyebrows, darting from the pretty boy with curly hair to the surly slave master. They had engaged in this dance before. Henry would keep his price firm, Sanjer would haggle. Eventually they would both bend, each content to profit from the misery of their quarry. But Henry's delight was far more short-lived than Sanjer's. His whores weren't allowed to die until it was more profitable than having them alive. He grinned, brushing the long hair from his face. This deal, he knew, was far better than his old friend realized. Four golds for the boy? Henry's knack for pricing his slaves was slipping. "Three," Sanjer offered.

"Three?!" Henry roared, his face burning red. He grabbed Reza by the collar of his shirt. "That's an insult, you old cur! Just look at his skin."

Sanjer looked, and he was impressed. Skin like that was rare indeed. Perhaps this one could be his own for a while. Money had been good this season. After all, what good was all his hard work without a little joy? "Don't you tire of this business, Henry?"

The slave trader was caught off guard by the question. Henry had never been inclined toward conversation with his business partners during trading hours. Let them buy him a drink if they had an interest in his inner thoughts. "Never," he answered quickly, "and my price is still four."

Sighing and thrusting a hand into his pocket, the greasy skin-trader proffered four gold coins, depositing them in Henry's palm and taking hold of Reza in one quick jerk.

"He's such a brute," the skinny man dragging him down the dusty street began. "Nothing like me, I assure you," he smiled at Reza again, crooked teeth shining in the grey morning light. "Now," he clasped the young man's hand in his own as though they were lovers, "tell me your name, pretty one."

Cringing visibly, Reza forced himself to relax by taking a very large breath. Though he was certainly taller and broader than the bawd, he knew that combat was not his strength. Fighting his way out was not a viable option. "My name is Reza."

"Mmm," Sanjer licked his lips, "such a lovely one you are. You'll fit right in," he nodded to himself, exceptionally pleased with his purchase. The red-haired girl would have been a highly-prized addition to his collection, but this one was even better. "But I do have rules, you know," he chided the young man as though he were an unruly child. "You'll keep your hands off the girls unless you're paid to do otherwise." They walked south from the marketplace, shabby buildings rising from the dust to look over the kingdom's southern gate and the passage from civilization into the smoky haze of rural life. Reza's eyes stung from the unclean air, but the tears which fell were not for smog. Willow had been torn from his tenuous grip once more, and now his destiny carried him to a place he wished never to see. Worse than the disgusting acts he would be required to perform was the knowledge that he had failed, and all of his gypsy brethren would suffer the consequence. Sanjer gripped his hand tightly and dragged him into a wide building on the west side of the road, its doorway graced with the purple scarves of a brothel.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:09 am 
19. Yummy Face

Great update-y goodness... I hope there is soon a happy Willow & Tara reunion...

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:23 pm 
12. Recently Gay

Topics: 1
Maybe i haven't picked it up right, but is Willow in the same castle as the Queen? If so, what better place to hide something someone is looking for than right under their nose.

Mistress Kousa is an interesting character. I wonder just how much she does know about Willow? Definately someone to tread carefully around if the subtle hint about the princess' last companion is anything to on.

I'm fascinated by this concept of the Ancients. My own feeling is that there are those who have something of the Ancients in them, magic perhaps, descendant, some imprinted and sub-conscious knowledge, that would certainly explain Willow's importance to the Queen.

Someone earlier suggested that the black knight was Tara, I must admit that was my though also, it would be easy for her to masquarade as a man and coupled with the enigma 'he' appears to be it's a big possibility. If so, I can't wait to read how that came about.

Still loving it.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:12 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Quote:
Maybe i haven't picked it up right, but is Willow in the same castle as the Queen?

You got it right. And yes, though it wasn't planned, I think Willow might find it very convenient to be able to hide where she's least expected to be found.

Quote:
Mistress Kousa is an interesting character. I wonder just how much she does know about Willow? Definately someone to tread carefully around if the subtle hint about the princess' last companion is anything to on.

There are a few bad guys in this. It's hard to say just yet who may turn out to be the most evil in their pursuit of power, revenge, money, etc. I've always found myself drawn to the psychological power plays of truly evil characters. Yeah, sharp knives speak volumes, but someone who gets in your head and really terrifies you is more thrilling to me.

Quote:
I'm fascinated by this concept of the Ancients. My own feeling is that there are those who have something of the Ancients in them, magic perhaps...

You might be onto something there! Though I think you may be a bit surprised to find where some of the Ancients went... I originally intended to insert the Prolgue into the posting of Chapter 1 oh so many pages ago, and it totally slipped my mind. I'll bring it back. It'll give you a tiny bit more about the Prophecy of the Ancients.

As for the identity of the Black Knight, only time will tell. Tara will be back, but it's not time for her right now. The Known Lands aren't ready for a woman with that much power. Even the Queen can't change the fact that she rules a Kingdom, you know.

I'll have an update soon, but my work schedule continues to conspire against me. Can someone please convince the County to put more computers in the vans and trucks at work??

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:29 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Chapter 14

Tea service was cleared quickly from Prince Tinari's table in the east courtyard. He pretended not to notice the servants bustling around him, instead focusing on a climbing rose along the far wall. Maids scattered as he stood and absently strode across the wide flagstones to the trellis. His long, thin fingers snapped a blossom from its vine harshly, and his ears pricked at the sound of footsteps receding into the halls of the castle. Alone at last, the Prince sighed noisily. He stretched and flexed his arms, free of the bonds of civility amongst a people unlike his own. "Godless Northerners," he muttered, sneering. Though dwindling in power, the mighty nation of Avinash bore more pride in its people's hearts than this kingdom could conceive. Tinari closed his eyes and tilted his head back, offering up a silent prayer to Rrikri, the god of his family's bloodline. His heart pleaded with Him for sympathy, and for the silent obedience of the women around him. Many things would change within the Drylands once he was King. No more would the useless chatter of female voices clutter the stately halls and courts of the castle, nor would their owners feel so free to speak their minds amidst royalty and common men alike. Women, he thought angrily, will know their place when I am crowned in this court. And this nation will flourish under my guidance. The tiny bud in his grasp sank a thorn into his thumb as he crushed it, drawing blood from his hand and a curse from his lips. Returning from his reverie to his present place in the garden, Prince Tinari looked up to find himself staring into the green eyes of the most beautiful woman he had ever beheld. She stood opposite him in the courtyard, an elegant cream dress of silk and lace cascading over her lithe body. It was simple, but its lines fell along with her form, drawing the Prince's eye along every subtle curve and dip, until he once again returned his gaze to her face. Scarlet lips and pale skin beckoned him nearer, but her emerald eyes were thick with a wildness that held him firmly in his place.

She raised a hand and brushed her neatly curled red hair from her face, nervously looking for an exit under the gesture. Willow had stumbled from the wrong corridor into a further mistaken path, resulting in a bewildered state that threatened to consume her. Six hours of primping and preening by Mistress Kousa's personal attendant had left her exhausted, despite the rejuvenating sensation of being thoroughly clean. Her heart longed for solitude and rest, but her ignorance had instead led her directly into the path of yet another unrecognizable member of royalty. Willow braced herself for the reprimand she would surely receive.

Prince Tinari approached her, awe struck by the gracious gift from the god he held most dear in his heart. Before him stood a woman both silent and demure, the perfect example of a female fit for royalty. He wished to possess her so intensely that he nearly forgot his manners. “My lady,” he bowed, stepping nearer. Willow, taken aback by his gesture, maintained her reticence. Tinari lifted his head and gazed at her once more, and Willow was confronted with the blackest eyes she had ever seen. The harder she sought to find color in them, the blacker they became, until she feared she might never escape their awful depths. Her gloved hands went cold with fear. “I do not believe I have had the pleasure,” the Prince spoke, extending a hand. Her response was automatic, prompted by the lectures of the last few hours of training. She placed her hand neatly in his, though her body screamed at her to run. “I am Prince Tinari of Avinash.”

Avinash. Her mind raced to place the name. Somewhere in the depths of her memory a story nagged, but fear pushed the details from her grasp. “Willow,” her voice answered before her brain recognized what she was saying.

He stared at her, refusing to release her hand. “Willow,” he repeated, a smile curling his pale lips. The young woman trembled, her hand beginning to shake violently in his. He let her fingers slip through his own. “Lady Willow, you seem quite unnerved. Shall I call for a maid to attend to you?”

“No,” she nearly shouted, stepping back from the Prince, “I-” her voice faltered. “I am simply lost, your Highness.”

He raised a black eyebrow. “Lost?” This woman was certainly a curiosity. “Then I will help you find your way.”

Panic rose in her chest, thickening her breath and dizzying her head. Avinash, her mind raced. Avinash. The warning was muddled, but its intent was clear. This Prince, though seemingly polite, was not as he appeared. Alarm bells sounded in her ears in time with her quickening pulse. Get out, a voice in her head sounded clearly. Get out now. Willow backed away from the Prince, lowering her head, “Thank you, your Highness, but I have disturbed you long enough.” Without pause, she bolted for the far door on the courtyard’s south wall. It jerked open before she reached it, providing her safe haven from the blackness behind her. Willow silently cursed herself for such blatant use of magic, but her control over her abilities always wore thin in times of fear.

Alone at last in the hall, she rested her head against the cool stone wall and breathed deeply. “How can all of this have happened so quickly?” she whispered to herself. I am so far from home, her heart cried out, which only made her realize more deeply the gravity of her situation. Willow had run for so long that she had forgotten why the journey began. Running became a life of its own, one which demanded her time and energy so fully that all other concerns fell by the wayside. Fear, flame, death and loss nipped at her heels, driving her past the point of exhaustion and depriving her of the momentary joys that even a hard life benefits from. Sometime in the last eight years, in the countless miles walked, in days and nights of running and hiding, she had grown up and become a woman she did not recognize.

The corridor pressed in on her, forcing the young woman to drop to her knees. She screwed her eyes shut, praying that the tears behind her eyelids would vanish. How do people live their whole lives indoors? she wondered, her breath coming fast and hard. The darkness, her mind raced in circles. “Stale air,” she muttered. “I must get out.” She stood, but the floor rushed at her again as she lost her balance. Anger surged in her. “Let me out,” she spoke as the walls spun and danced. “Let me out!” Laughter boiled beneath the layers of flagstone, mocking her plaintive cries. Willow made a fist with her right hand, intent on focusing her rage into the stone that surrounded her.

“No,” a calm voice said, fingers lightly wrapping around her wrist. Willow’s arm went slack, and she noticed that the hall was again simply a passage built of stone and mortar. “You don’t want to do that,” the girl standing beside her warned.

Willow stared up at her with a bewildered look on her face. “But the walls... the floor...” her voice trailed off in confusion.

Still holding Willow’s arm, the girl knelt and brushed her own dark hair aside. Long, straight strands, black as raven wings, sighed and drifted over her shoulder, falling back to where they had been displaced from a moment before. “You mustn’t,” she warned again, her blue eyes serious. “Please trust me.” Her voice hovered softly like summer wind in tall grass which pauses to take in the sun. Willow was mesmerized by her. "Tea will help," the hand around Willow's wrist guided her to her feet.

Together they walked through the many passageways of the castle's interior. I will never learn to find my way, Willow sighed. They soon came to a quiet wing on the keep's south side, its fine rugs so thick that they grabbed at Willow's shoes and slowed her feet. She was led into an open room with tall windows that looked out over the orchards below the city gates. A pot of tea was already steaming on a low table between two comfortable couches in the center of the room. Willow looked around for the maid who must have delivered it, but they appeared to be alone. Her companion offered her a seat and began to pour tea into two delicate porcelain cups without a word spoken. Willow took the fragile teacup in her hand, terrified it would break in her untrained grasp. She watched the other girl stir cream and honey into her own drink, the ritual slow and methodical. Such lavish goods were a rarity in life outside the castle. Willow had never tasted tea with additives. Clumsily, she repeated the dark-haired girl's actions, stirring and then tasting. The buttery softness of fresh cream mixed with the clover sweet honey and stayed on her tongue long after she swallowed. She kept her eyes closed as she relished the new taste.

"It's a cameronian blend," the other girl finally said, smiling at Willow's affection for proper tea. "I have it sent up from the far South regularly."

Willow nearly dropped her cup at the mention of her origins. Her mind drifted to the last image she had seen of Tara standing in the meadow, snow falling lightly around them. The burning pyres stung her eyes and nose with smoke. Screams of her kin shot through her, an ever-present reminder of the delicate dance which love and death share. Her past plagued her with an incessant rhythm, its noise thrumming in her mind and shutting out her ability to see and hear clearly.

Willow shook her head and sipped the tea again. "It's very nice."

"I hoped you'd like it," the girl replied. "I have many more you're welcome to try. I did so hope you'd be friendlier than Mara." She wrinkled her nose. "Lady Mara despised tea, and she never spoke of romance or adventure. Do you know any stories?"

"Lady Mara," Willow whispered. Who was this girl? "Do you know me?" Willow asked.

"Know you?" the girl giggled. "I have only just met you, but I knew you were coming." Her smile was innocent, but her words hinted at a sharp mind. "Mistress Kousa is not the only one within these walls with spies and informants." She refilled her cup and offered Willow more.

Realizing that little must occur in the Drylands Castle without someone watching and reporting it, Willow nervously scanned the sitting room once more. Living between confining walls and overbearing ceilings was difficult enough to adjust to, but the proximity of spies after a recent amount of time spent imprisoned in the dungeons was more than she could take. The tiny white cup of tea fell from her hand onto the cream colored rug beneath their feet.

The alarm went up first. That was how they knew something was wrong. Linn’s voice soared through the camp, hastening the beat of every heart within. Smoke and flame followed, bringing Willow’s nightmares into sharp relief. “No, not here,” she whispered, her voice thinner than parchment. Penna dropped her bowl of stew as she broke into a run from where she had sat by the fire. Phidi was in the woods. Willow watched her go after the boy, her own legs frozen with fear. A cold, heavy weight plunged through her stomach, anchoring her trembling body to the make-shift furniture as thick smoke filled her lungs and obscured her sight.

“Scatter! Scatter!” Trace’s voice boomed as the haze thickened. Willow thought she saw the dark woman race past, but the sun was quickly being choked out by the fumes of a hot summer’s dry tinder on the forest floor.

The rest was sheer confusion and hysterics. The soldiers chained her and dragged her brutally through the camp, throwing her into the back of an open wagon, along with thirteen of her comrades. Unpolished steel bit and chewed at her tender wrists, and her old shoulder wound ached from the bound position of her arms. Amidst the heat and smoke, she counted ten bodies lying lifeless within the borders of a home she thought was safe. Screams faded as the horses pulled the open cart out into the open meadows surrounding the forest. Her eyes strained to see the face of the man who had welcomed her into the Cirque first, his arms always held impossibly wide for her. They have ruined his paint, Willow thought stupidly, her brain abandoning all ability to reason as she watched a thick redness spread over his forehead which should have been blue. Linn had held his position as guard with his life, and with his last breath, he held Willow’s eyes with his own.

Unbroken, the teacup held the eyes of both Willow and the raven-haired girl amidst their silence. "I'm sorry," Willow finally whispered, snapping out of her trance. Still, she could not move to retrieve the lost cup.

"Willow," the girl said softly. The red-haired gypsy stared up at her. "Of all the places you could have landed within these walls, my chambers are the safest." Her blue eyes were calm.

"You're the Princess."

"I am." Willow continued to stare as the tea soaked into the pristine carpet. "But please, call me River."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next