The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Love Beyond the Stars - A Race Through Dark Places
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:54 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for excellent update-y goodness... sorry to see Dawn die... good that Tara get some payback and blew Faith's brains out...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:12 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 1
My dear friend,

What an emotional update.

I have to admit I was kind of disappointed when Willow's first words to Tara were "you coming"...

It was a realli beautiful death for Dawn, plus she got "lucky" enough to get to say goodbye to her sister.
You described it very well.

As for Willow, what a silly woman, doesn't she know she is in a story on the kitten board and so neither Tara nor she can die? Tsk tsk tsk... ;-)

You know, you take bad habits to end all your chapters like that.

lol.

Thanks for it!

I'll wait for the next one then.

Friendly,

The Little Translator.

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:50 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

that was a very intense update ... please keep them coming! :D

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:01 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Oh Daxy this was intense indeed I have said it before and will say it again what a writer you are my dear friend. :kitty

Post subject: A Love Beyond the Stars - A Race Through Dark Places
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:58 am 
3. Flaming O

[center]A Love Beyond the Stars –A Race Through Dark Places[/center]

There are bridges you cross you didn’t know you crossed until you’ve crossed.
“Thank Goodness” - Wicked

The fight for the survival of humanity continues.

[center]Chapter Six
Born to the Purple[/center]

Willow stood silently in front of the incubator and looked in awe at the tiny human being lying in the plastic box.
Hope lay on her side, an electrode attached to her chest, monitoring her heartbeat. The monitors constant peep, peep, peeps were the only sounds in the room.
There was also a tube running into Hope’s nose helping her breathe and get her lungs to fully develop.

Watching her daughters tiny hands reaching into the air like she was searching for something or someone and her tiny chest stately rising and falling, Willow knew that she ought to feel some particular parental feelings towards this baby but she didn’t feel anything special.
As a matter of fact, at this very moment Willow didn’t feel anything at all. She had become epidural mom.
‘But I’m her mother,’ she thought. ‘Even though I’m not her biological mother, shouldn’t I feel a special connection to her? Something – anything.’
Her thoughts fell silent and she kept watching her tiny daughter fighting to stay alive. But what kind of a life was that?

A life on the run, a life aboard a Battlestar.
Had it been wrong to want a child in such dark times? Willow asked herself. But when she and Tara had decided to start a family, things had looked… well, promising.

‘Oh what’s the point, pondering that!’ Willow thought angrily. ‘You’ll change nothing by thinking about what if’s.’
“But what if I really feel guilty,” Willow whispered to herself, “guilty and that’s why I can’t feel a thing.”

Hope started to stir, like she was having a bad dream. Willow took a step closer, unsure what she was supposed to do.
“Go ahead,” came a friendly voice from behind Willow, “you can touch her.”
“But she’s so fragile,” Willow whispered weakly, her voice thick with unshed tears.
“She’s stronger than she looks,” Medic Cheryl said, standing now right next to Willow. She took first her right hand, then her left and put on a pair of medical gloves, while Willow looked at her own hands like they weren’t attached to her own body.
“There you go,“ Cheryl continued and gently guided Willow’s hand through the opening at the side of the incubator.

Once inside, Willow’s hand began moving on its own and very delicately touched the chest of her child with the tip of her index finger. Moving it very slowly, she felt Hope’s heart beat steadily against her finger tip.
On feeling her mother’s touch, Hope calmed down and lied peaceful again.
Willow’s finger started moving again, slowly and moved up even more gently, tenderly brushing her daughter’s cheek before moving over her shoulder and down her thin arm.
The moment her finger reached Hope’s hand, her tiny fingers closed around Willow’s index finger, holding on to it with surprising strength.

Willow felt tears rising in her eyes.
Then the most extraordinary thing happened. Hope’s head turned slightly around and her eyes, her clear blue eyes, found her mother’s green ones and the moment she looked at her, Willow became a different person entirely.
It felt like a big bucket full of the most wonderful feelings had been emptied into her heart, flooded it, and gave Willow a warm feeling.

Overwhelmed by this experience of connection to Hope on such a level she never even dreamed of, Willow began to cry.
They were tears of both joy and sadness that ran down her cheek. For the time being Willow forgot everything and all around her.
She didn’t notice the smiling Cheryl stepping away again or the sounds of the Battlestar surrounding her.

There was only Willow and Hope and for the longest time Willow kept watching her daughter, speaking to her without words.
Eventually Hope closed her eyes and as she drifted back to sleep again the grip around her mother’s finger lessened. But only after another quarter of an hour had passed Willow finally retracted her finger for good.

“There you are,” Medic Cheryl Hamilton said with a smile. “You’re late! Hope already started to get restless.”
“Sorry, but I stayed a little longer with…” Willow began, then stopped. “You really think she missed me? She asked unbelievingly, “but she is so young!”
“Believe me, she knew that it was your time to visit and so got a bit restless when you weren’t in on time,” Cheryl said and stepped up to Willow who, by now, was standing at the sink washing her hands.

“You know Willow, physical contact – human contact is very important for babies in general and for premature born like Hope in particular.”
“I know, I read about it in a book that I borrowed and that I can’t return because it got blown up with Pegasus,” Willow said cheerless, then she sorrowfully added, “sadly there’s only so much contact possible though this opening.”
She pointed with her head towards the incubator. “And Hope will have to stay in there for a long time to come, won’t she?”
“Yes, she does,” Cheryl confirmed, “until she weighs at least 2800 grams and is breathing on her own.”
Willow looked at the IV that provided Hope with that all she needed.

“However,” Cheryl went on, “even though she has to be in the incubator for most of the time, it doesn’t mean that she can’t leave it for a few hours a day.”
Very interested, Willow stopped in her steps towards Hope’s incubator and looked to Cheryl Hamilton to hear what was on her mind.

“Well I remember reading an interesting article in a medical journal about cases like little Hope here,” the medic went on. “It argued against having cases like Hope inside the incubator for all the time, because this way they would miss out on the all important human contact in the first days of their life.”
She paused and looked around in the small room, that originally had been a storage room to the sickbay.
“Anyway, what we could do, I mean what you could do Willow.,.. excuse me just a sec, I’ll be right back,” Cheryl Hamilton said and left, leaving a completely confused officer behind.

Cheryl returned soon, pushing a kind of treatment chair in front of her into the room and placed it right next to Hope.
She closed the bulkhead again before she turned back to Willow.
“So what you can do,” she began again, “is to lie down comfortably on this chair and then I lie Hope on your bosom – your bare bosom,” she added, though Willow had suspected as much. “Then I’ll cover you both with a blanket and… well we’ll see how things go,” she finished, sounding quite content with her idea.

Willow liked the idea too, though she still felt a little anxious about it at the same time, “But isn’t that kinda risky?” she asked.
“Not at all,” Cheryl assured her. “I all ready spoke about it with Doc Cottle and he agrees with my proposal. I will also stay with you, monitoring Hope's vital signs all the time.”
Involuntary Willow looked at the bulkhead behind Cheryl and the medic laughed. “Don’t you worry. You wouldn’t expose yourself. “I’ll lock the door, you take your time.”

“But what about your other duties?”
“Oh my shift ended twenty minutes ago,” Cheryl said with a short glance on her wrist watch and before Willow had any chance to put in a word of protest she added, “and don’t you worry about little old me. I’ll sit down in the corner, have a eye on the control and continue to read this really fantastic romantic novel.” Out of nowhere or so it seemed, she produced a book and smiled warmly at Willow.

“Thank you Cheryl,” Willow said.
“You’re welcome,” Cheryl answered. There where no more words necessary and Willow knew that she had made another friend.
“Then let’s get this party started,” Cheryl said with a laugh. “I’ll get the blanket and you can, well…” She made a somewhat helpless gesture around her own upper body.

“Tackle out?” Willow offered helpfully and started unbuttoning her uniform jacket.
“Would you like to have the blanket first?” Cheryl asked wit a slight blush. “You know so you can take off the rest under it.”
”I’m sure there’s nothing you haven’t seen before,” Willow laughed and put her jacket onto a sideboard right next to her cane.
She then sat down on the chair, after she had adjusted the back so she would be in a sort of lying position and took off first the dark and then the light grey military issue sleeveless shirt.

For a moment she debated with herself whether or not she should take off the necklace with the identity disks as well. It felt wrong to Willow to take them off and so she decided to simply put them aside once she had lay down on the chair.
Next Willow took off her boats and swung her legs on to the chair.
“Here’s the blanket,” Cheryl said and covered Willow up to her hip and while she started to open the incubator, Willow took of her bra of and lied down.

Cheryl turned around, holding a very tiny Hope delicately in her arms, careful not to compromise the tube providing baby with air and the wire connecting her with the monitor.
Hope gave a weak whimper, like she was protesting against being taken out of her warm place.
She then cautiously turned Hope around onto her tummy. Willow opened her arms.
“There you go Hope,” Cheryl said quietly, “meet your momma Willow.” She placed the tiny little girl on her mommies bosom, again making sure that the cable and tubes were hanging free.
Cheryl then placed Willow’s left hand on Hope’s back to support her, while Willow’s other hand automatically cubed the tiny head, stroking it all so gently, her fingers barley moving.

In the mean time Cheryl covered them both with the blanket, letting it run just under Hope’s neck, while at the same time covering most of Willow’s bare shoulders.
As a last thing she placed another pillow under Willow’s head so she could look into her daughter’s face without having to lift her head.
Retreating, Cheryl turned down the volume on the monitor, before retiring into a corner behind Willow, reading her novel in the light of a small desk lamp but not without keeping an eye on the monitor or to glance at Willow and Hope with a sad smile, as she remembered her own daughter who died back home in Caprica City.

Looking at her daughter Willow was totally overwhelmed with the experience of having this tiny human being lying on her bosom.
She was so light, Willow hardly felt her weight at all, only the feel of her daughters warm skin against her own.
Her eyes still closed Hope lay peacefully, apparently enjoying the gently caresses of her head, as Willow’s fingers brushed the soft white blond hairs.
Tears ran down Willow’s face, the motherly feeling grew ever stronger inside her heart, while at the same time she felt a sting feeling like Hope should be sleeping on Tara’s breast now and that Tara should be here with Hope and not in a bed next door.

[blockquote]Five days earlier

“Doctor Cottle, how’s Tara?” Willow asked again and for the first time she noticed how very old and tired Leonard H. Cottle looked.
But then he too had gone though the four months hell of Cylon occupation on New Caprica and the following violent escape.
“Willow,” he said eventually, “you have to understand that Tara lost a lot of blood during the c-section. There was some internal bleeding too that we where able to stop.”

He paused, making Willow fear for the worst.
“I’m afraid that in order to stop these bleedings we had to remove your wife’s uterus or otherwise she would’ve bleed to death.
“She won’t be able to have any more children,” Doctor Cottle finished and fished in his lap coat pocket for another cigarette, put it in his mouth and lighted it.

‘Tara won’t have any more babies,’ Willow thought, ‘but at least she’ll live.’
But there was more, she realised. There was something the doctor had not told her yet. “What else?” Willow asked, but Cottle still hesitated. “Doctor Cottle – Leonard,” she pleaded, “if there’s anything wrong with Tara I have to know.”
Doc Cottle let the rest of his cigarette fall to the ground and stepped it out.
“Willow,” he said, “While checking her body, once we completed the c-section, we discovered that she had been hit by a bullet right above her left knee.”

“She and Dawn had been shoot at by a Centurion,” Willow said, more to herself then to Doctor Cottle.
“Dawn Summers certainly saved your wife’s life,” Cottle said, indicating that he knew about Dawn’s fate. “The bullet hit Tara right above her knee, very close to major artery, injuring it but not rupturing it.
“However as it turned out, the bullet weakened the blood vessel very seriously, so when we removed the projectile, the artery ruptured causing further blood loss.”

At this point Willow started to fell all numb, dreading to hear what was to come next in the doctor’s statement.
“We fixed the artery and I can assure you there’s no damage to her leg,” Doc Cottle assured Willow. “But because of the massive blood loss and all, Tara's heart stopped beating for a few seconds.”
Again the old doctor paused, making Willow want to yell at him to tell her how her Tara was.

“So here’s the situation as it is right now,” Cottle finally came to the end. “Your wife, Tara, is in a coma. We stopped all bleedings and we gave her blood plasma to replenish her losses. According to all scans, her brain activity is fairly normal, so I’m certain that there will be no brain damage, when she regains consciousness.”
“And when will that be?” Willow asked fearfully.
“That I’m afraid I can not tell,“ Cottle said and put a comforting hand on Willow’s shoulder. “It will be up to Tara. From what I heard she went through some shocking experiences and that might be what keeps her from waking up. She will have to fight her way back to you and your daughter.”

“She will fight,” Willow said with heartfelt conviction. “She’s strong, she’s a fighter.”
“That’s good for her,” Doc Cottle said. “Now, would you like to see your daughter Hope, Major?”
One part of Willow wanted to say yes right away but it was the other bigger part that made her say: “I can’t. Not as long as Tara isn’t with me to see her.”
A single tear ran down Willow’s cheek. “I’ll feel so bad about it, like I’m abandoning Hope, but I just can’t right now.”

“It’s okay Willow,” Doc Cottle said, “you too take your time. We’ll be looking after your daughter.”
Cottle got to his feet and walked over to wall mounted phone. After he’d made a call he returned to Willow. “I just had a short chat with the quarter master. He said, that he already assigned you the quarters you previously shared with Dr. Maclay.”
“Thank you,” Willow mumbled, but she wasn’t sure she could muster the energy to walk to the visitor quarters.

“Come on Mayor,” Doc Cottle said and pulled Willow to her feet. “You really need to get some sleep, we all do. We all went through some pretty deep shit.”
“But what about Tara? Can’t I see Tara?” Willow wanted to know.
“Not tonight,” Cottle replied without offering any further explanation and some part of Willow was grateful for that.
Because even though she felt ashamed because of it she wasn’t sure she was strong enough to face a comatose Tara tonight.

In her new (old) quarters Willow was greeted by Miss Kitty Fantastico who jumped off the living room table she had been sitting on and rubbed herself around her mistress’s leg.
At first Willow was surprised to see the little feline aboard the Galactica since she had left her aboard Pegasus.
But then she remembered Commander Adam promising to have a member of the crew take care of Miss Kitty.
And sure enough there was her special caring bag and Willow even spotted Tara’s old laptop computer lying on the table.

“Tara will be glad to see that her computer made it too,” Willow whispered to herself, while she wandered about the triviality of this thought, given that Tara was in a coma right now. Maybe it was the knowledge of how dear all the old and newer photos; including many from her time on Caprica; as well as her favourite music and stuff on this computer were to Tara.
Standing in the middle of the room, Willow suddenly realised how very tired she was, both physically and mentally.
She also noticed that she was still wearing her combat gear, with the bullet-proof west and the helmet attached to her belt.
She briefly wondered why she hadn’t simply dropped that helmet once she jumped back aboard the Raptor on New Caprica but put it where it belonged.

Willow dropped the helmet and took off the west, letting it too fall to the ground where she stood. She leaned her cane against the doorframe to the bedroom and limped slowly towards the bed, discarding her uniform jacket on the way.
Without even taking of her boots, Willow collapsed onto the bed and fell asleep, her boot claded feet dangling over the floor.

Tara lay motionless on her back, her pale face slightly bruised and a band-aid on her cheek.
There were electrodes attached to her breast, another on her finger monitoring her pulse and heartbeat. There was another one attached to Tara’s forehead.
On the screens Willow could see that Tara’s heart was beating strongly and steadily and the same was true for her pulse.
Her brainwaves showed that her brain was active, though how active Willow couldn’t tell. Maybe it was like she was dreaming.

Tara certainly looked like she was only sleeping but what if she wouldn’t wake up again? The thought tore through Willow’s mind, before she could stop it.
‘No,’ Willow thought vehemently and tenderly brushed a strand of Tara’s blond hair from her face. ‘Doc Cottle said that her brain wasn’t damaged, so…’
“What is keeping you from coming back Tara?” she whispered into her unconscious wife’s ear.

Maybe the clue lied in what Willow had witnessed back on New Caprica. Tara, Dawn, that Cylon bitch ‘Rogue’ and a Centurion, maybe that was the trauma that held her back.
“Please Tara come back!” Willow pleaded and kissed Tara on her forehead, before she left the infirmary to see her and Tara’s daughter for the first time.[/blockquote]

“Willow, Willow!” woken by the whispering voice of Medic Cheryl and the gently tap on her shoulder, Willow opened her eyes again.
“Time to get Hope back into her bed again,” Cheryl whispered and gently moved the blanket, so she could take the tiny baby from her mother’s arms.
At first Willow wanted to protest, feeling that the time with her daughter had been far to short. But then she thought that Cheryl certainly knew when it was time to put Hope back into the incubator.

Willow put back on her bra and shirts and while she looked for her jacket she casually asked: “What’s the time?”
“Almost twenty three hundred hours,” Cheryl answered, closing the incubator.
“What?” Willow cried out, her mouth dropping to her chin. She soon closed it again, as she tried to wrap her mind around how much time she’d really spent with her daughter.
“But that would make it,” she counted on her fingers, “four hours!”
“Yes,” the medic said and handed Willow her uniform jacket. “and before you protest, I let the two of you sleep, because it was the most hopeful thing I’ve seen in a long time and I just couldn’t bring myself to wake you.”

“But won’t you be total tired tomorrow morning?” Willow asked concerned.
“Oh, I’ve already managed with less sleep, so don’t you worry Willow,” she smiled.
“Thank you Cheryl,” Willow said and put on her boots. She stood up and gave the medic a warm hug.
“You’re a real friend, you know?”
“I know.”
And with that they both parted and left the room, while another medic took over for Cheryl.

Willow was just about to turn left for the visitors quarters, when she got called from behind. “Major Rosenberg!”
Willow turned around to see Lee Adama walk up to her.
“Commander,” she said.
“Not anymore,” Lee answered and pointed to the rank insignia at the collar of his uniform. “It’s Major again.”
“You’re CAG again?”
“Yep.”
“Probably means that I’ll be stepping down to Captain myself,” Willow observed, but not lamenting the coming demotion, after all there were far important things in her life then her military rank within the Colonial Fleet.

“Actually no,” Lee Adama answered. “”I’ve already spoken about you with the Admiral and for now he grants you leave of absence until your wife and kid are doing better. After that you’ll take over as head of department for flight control.”
‘Well that’s a pleasant surprise,’ Willow thought, though she did wonder why she didn’t have to step down to the rank of captain, after all, that was the rank required for this position.
Lee Adama seemed to have read Willow’s mind because he soon added, “Well Willow, with the CAG being Major, I think you would agree with me that the head of flight control should share rank with the senior pilot, shouldn’t she?”

Being lost for words, Willow agreed silently.
“You did a really great job as my XO,” Lee Adama went on, “and my only regret is that you won’t be able to succeed me as commander of Pegasus.”
“Oh that’s okay,” Willow assured him cheerfully. “I wasn’t especially after this particular command. You know with Pegasus’ past bad track record and a nick name like “The Beast”, I never thought being in command of that Battlestar was the most safest place in the universe.”

“I beck your pardon?” Mayor Adama asked, clearly being taken by surprise by his former XO’s ‘babble attack’.
“Well look at it,” Willow explained more slowly now, leaning carefree on her cane. “Since this Mercury Class Pegasus was put into service eight years ago, its first commander Caitlin Taggert, dropped dead in the CIC, cardiac arrest.
“Her successor Rupert Giles got shoot by Admiral Cain, who in turn was killed by her very own Cylon prisoner.”
And who, according to rumour, had a sexual affair with said Cylon female, Willow didn’t add, she wasn’t the person to listen to rumours.

Willow paused for a bit, it felt good for her to talk about something different for a change – without ever forgetting about Tara and Hope of course.
“So where was I?”
“Admiral Cain,” Lee Adama helped with a big smile on his face.
“Right,” Willow said. “Now Jack Fisk, he took to big a bite out of the fleet’s black market and got himself strangled in due course.
“Commander Garner, he was an excellent chief engineer, but he was not cut out for command. He died saving Pegasus, after he brought the ship and its crew into danger in the first place. And you,” she added with a grin, “you were in serious danger of completely loosing your form. So why should I have wanted to command Pegasus?
“Better have my shot at commanding Galactica one day, wouldn’t you agree?”

“And I though you weren’t ambitious,” Lee said with a laugh. “And now I think it’s time to call it a night. Have some more work out to do tomorrow.”
Willow grinned to that.
“But first tell me Willow, how are your wife and daughter doing?” Lee asked,
“Hope’s doing great,” Willow beamed, still feeling the warmth of her baby’s body on her bosom. “Tara…” her smile faded. “I’m sure she’ll be waking up soon.”

“I’m sure she will,” Lee said kindly. “She was a fine communication officer with Pegasus and from what I know about her, she’s a fighter, like her wife.”
“Thank you Lee,” Willow said and offered him her hand. “Good night Major.”
“Good night Major,” Lee Adama echoed and shook her hand, then they both parted.

Another five days later, Tara had still not waken from the coma and Willow was as worried as she could be.
Worried and pondering about what it would take to finally let Tara reach out to the real world again. ‘The real world!’ Willow thought sadly, ‘a Battlestar on the run!’
No! That wouldn’t be a reason for Tara to hide herself away within her own body, Willow was sure.
But then she didn’t know what had all happened to Tara during those four months of occupation, or during those last moments on New Caprica before Willow arrived with the marines.
Or why Dawn had been wearing an explosive belt.
There could be all so many reasons why Tara wouldn’t return.

Every day Willow spent several hours at Tara’s side, talking to her and holding her hand and she was certain that she was pulling through.
But seemingly it wasn’t enough, Willow wasn’t enough.

What more could she do? She didn’t know, all she knew was that the answer to that question would bring Tara back to her and her daughter again.

“Evening Cheryl,” Willow greeted the medic on entering the little room that had been set up especially for little Hope. “How was your day so far?”
“Stressful,” Cheryl answered. “You know since the admiral revived this old military tradition: ‘the open floor’ or what ever it’s called and people insist on knocking the crap out of each other’s brain, sickbay’s been extremely busy with putting these lunatics back together again.
”Honestly Willow, I never understood what people liked about boxing in the first place but these fights; they are mostly about settling old scores. You know between those who stayed aboard the Battlestar’s and didn’t had to endure the Cylons occupation on New Caprica and probably lots of other bad feelings. Man!”

“Well I don’t like this senseless violence either,” Willow said with a smile, “but I don‘t think it’s limited to just the men. I saw some pretty dented women out there too.”
To that Cheryl gave Willow a weary ‘tell me about it’ kind of smile.
But then Willow didn’t exactly care anyway.
If these lunatics wanted to beat their frakking minds out, then they should do so and not bother her with it. All Willow was concerned with was the well being of Hope and Tara.
Now Hope was doing great, gaining weight every day and getting close to breathing on her own.
But there was still no change with Tara.
Absentmindedly Willow began unbuttoning her uniform jacket, for another one on one with Hope. ‘Tara should see that,’ she thought
And Hope seemed to thrive on these close moments with her mom. And from her reactions Willow could see how very important it was for the both of them, to feel each other’s presence and warmth.

Several pictured flashed before Willow’s eyes.
Tara standing on the Raptor’s wing, holding her belly, her features twisted in pain
Tara gasping for air.
Tara saying: “It’s too early.”
And most clear Willow suddenly remembered the look of utter fear in Tara’s eyes. Fear that there might be something happening to Hope.
Fear that Hope might not make it.

“By the Lords that’s it!” Willow cried out making Cheryl jump.
“What is what?” Cheryl asked.
“Why haven’t I thought of this before?” the redheaded officer said, knocking herself lightly on her forehead, with her ever present cane.

“Cheryl, before Tara lost consciousness she believed and rightly so, that Hope was in danger,” Willow explained. “And even now in her comatose state, she probably feels that Hope is no longer in her womb.”
“That’s certainly possible,” Cheryl agreed.
“It’s more then that I’m sure,” Willow went on, “so what we have to do…”
“Way ahead of you,” Cheryl declared and was already on the phone making a call. Ten minutes later two medics wheeled Tara in on a gurney. They left after they had attached her to the monitoring equipment in the room.

Silently Willow and Cheryl went to work.
While Cheryl opened Hope’s incubator, Willow opened Tara’s nightshirt, allowing herself for a short moment the view of her wife’s bare breasts she liked to caress so much.
Cheryl tenderly placed Hope on Tara’s bosom and Willow covered them both with the blanket, like Cheryl had done the past five days.
Then they both waited for the things to come.

The first one to react was Hope. She slowly opened her bright blue eyes and looked at the face of the new woman she was resting on. She wasn’t alarmed but rather seemed to instinctively recognize her mother.
Next the impulses on Tara’s monitors started to change, her heartbeat went up and her brain activity increased considerably.
Very slowly Tara’s right hand went up and gently cupped Hope’s head.

Willow kneeled down at Tara’s side and put her arm around her shoulder. She didn’t dare to speak and hardly breathed. Too great was her fear that she might only imagining what was happening before her eyes.
Very slowly Tara’s eyes fluttered open and after a short confusion focused on the baby in her arms, she smiled.
Turning her head, Tara’s eyes found Willow’s. “I was lost,” she whispered, tears running down her face. “But you found me. You both found me.”

“I will always find you,” Willow assured Tara, gently kissing her on her lips, crying herself.
She pulled up a chair and sat down on it. Putting her arm around Tara’s shoulder again, Willow rested her head right next to Tara’s and together the two mommies watched their tiny daughter Hope sleep peacefully on Tara’s bosom.

Last edited by Dax on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:43 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for excellent update-y goodness... Nice way for Hope to get know her mommy Willow and wake Tara from her coma. Extra big yay for Willow and Tara getting their old quarters back and most importantly that Miss Kitty got there too with Tara's computer... I truly hope that Willow's new job as head of Flight Control doesn't take too much of her time so she could properly take care of Tara and Hope... and that she can't skip diaper duty...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

That was beautiful my dear. Really. Thanks for it.

I can't comment much more, it was just really beautiful to see the relationship Willow/Hope begins, and how Hope was the only hope to bring Tara back. (See my pun? lol, ok it was not funny ^^)

Thanks my friend :)

Julia :kitty

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:28 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Sorry it has taken a while to catch up on my readings. What can I say ... this was a particularly heartfelt update to your story. You beautifully managed to both reveal the confusion that a new parent feels towards their new born child as well as the stress/worry/hope that a partner feels under such circumstances as those presented in your story.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to the next update. :D

-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:27 pm 
3. Flaming O

Will I lose my dignity?
Will someone care?
Will I wake tomorrow from this nightmare?
“Will I?”
– Rent

[center]Chapter Seven
The Long, Twilight Struggle
[/center]

Tara held on to the door frame while she watched the crowd in the hangar bay celebrate William Adama; she didn’t feel like celebrating.

Not with the price that had come with surviving the Cylon occupation and escaping from New Caprica. How many people had died during the occupation?
How many and on this very day?
How many more loved ones could she bear to lose before it all became too much? Before it would break her pained soul in two?
Dawn was dying, Tara didn’t need to be a doctor to know that.
The only comfort she had was that Dawn would not be alone when her time came, that her sister Buffy would be at her side.

‘Poor Buffy,’ Tara thought. ‘To lose her last living relative, after all those months (PLURAL J) of hoping and praying that Dawn would return from New Caprica alive.
Despite the almost three and a half months she had spent with Dawn in one tent, Tara hadn’t had the slightest idea that Dawn had been gay or bisexual.

Someone once said: “It is always too early to say goodbye and never too late to say thank you.” And in this regard Tara would always be grateful for having been allowed to spend some time with Dawn, even though the conditions on New Caprica had been less than hospitable and Dawn had been keeping to herself.

Tara was just about to get of the Raptor and join her wife when a sharp pain, emanating from her tummy and spreading throughout her in one wave made her gasp for air.
Grabbing the door frame again and holding onto her tummy with her other arm, she cried out for her wife.
Through half-shut eyes Tara saw how Willow jumped onto the Raptor’s wing and reaching her side in no time.
Willow said something to her but being completely overwhelmed by fear and pain Tara couldn’t hear her. “It’s too early,” she said weakly, before another wave of indescribable pain washed over her, taking her consciousness with it into darkness.
‘It’s too early,’ Tara kept repeating over and over again in her mind.

Tara drifted through complete darkness.
She tried very hard to spot anything surrounding her but the darkness was impenetrable. There were voices though, distant, but strangely close at the same time.
Tara could barely make out the words and what she could understand sounded like a foreign language to her – medical talk.
That was it!
Tara was sure that she was indeed eavesdropping on doctors and medics, giving and receiving orders.
She was obviously listening to an ongoing surgery in progress and from the tone of voice Tara deducted that things were critical for the poor soul lying on the operating table.

Again Tara tried to see when slowly but steadily a few questions entered her mind. Like, why was she listening to something happening in the sickbay?
Why was she in the sickbay at all?
And most of all, why couldn’t she see?

The answer to these questions came rather quickly to Tara.
Suddenly she knew that she hadn’t gone blind. There just wasn’t nothing binding her to herself – no body. It was like she had left her body and was floating freely over the scene and that meant…

Tara’s spirits froze in the sheer terror of the truth tumbling down on her. Doctor Cottle and his people were fighting for her life and that of Hope!
But why was she able to listen to it? Or was she already dead?
No that couldn’t be! So maybe she was in a kind of coma, but again why? What had happened to put her onto a stretcher?
The memories came in sharp flashes, painful and horrible.

New Caprica.
Explosions all around.
Cylon Faith and a Centurion.
Dawn wearing a explosive belt.
Dawn dying.
The Pegasus exploding into a great ball of fire.
The Galactica.
A sharp wave of pain searing through her body.
Hope.

HOPE!

Tara thought’s reached out the tiny being that was her daughter. A wave of relief floated through her consciousness as it briefly touched Hope’s.
That relief however was soon replaced by fear and panic as Tara felt that Hope was in great distress.
‘This can’t be happening!’ Tara thought desperately. ‘Not after Dawn and all the others!
‘Hope has to be alright or I’ll go crazy!’
Desperately Tara pushed against her own consciousness, in order to force herself to wake up and to plead with the doctors to save the life of her child.
Then suddenly she could no longer feel her daughter and her depression and sadness echoed throughout the sphere of her own self – so loudly it ought to be heard in the entire universe.
“No! Please Gods no!”

‘Poor Hope’ Tara thought and retreated even further into herself. ‘It was too early and it’s all my fault. I’m certain if I had stayed aboard Pegasus this all wouldn’t have happened. I would have been evacuated with the others and you wouldn’t have been born so prematurely and to early to live.’
‘But what about Dawn?’ asked another voice. ‘She still would have died but because you were down there with her she did not die alone among enemies or blowing herself up. Because you were down there on New Caprica, it was possible to bring her back to her sister so she was with her when she died, they could say their goodbyes.

‘But she only got herself shot in the end because she wanted to protect us,’ Tara answered herself, ‘and if Hope really didn’t…’ she could not think it. ‘Then Dawn’s sacrifice was in vain.’

Tara could Willow talking to her. Even though she couldn’t understand the words, she could feel the love and the pleading to come back to her.
How could she ever come back?
How could she come back and face the woman she loved, when she had lost the child of love?

In her mind Tara knew very well that she was being a coward and that despite what ever had happened she and Willow would face it together. But in her heart she was simply too afraid of fighting her way back.

There was no comprehension of time and so Tara had no idea how much time had passed since she had returned from New Caprica and she didn’t care either. Too great was her fear to really face the fact that Hope hadn’t made it.
And the longer she resisted the greater her fears grew, threatening to eventually engulf her completely.

‘What was that?’ Tara thought, as she felt a sudden change in her surroundings.
Because suddenly she was becoming aware of her own body again and also of something warm and light resting on her chest and suddenly she knew.
She didn’t need to open her eyes to know that it was Hope who was lying on her.
It was like that she had been wandering through a dark maze – lost - and finally Hope had found her and lead her out of the darkness.

Tara felt her hand move and gently caress her daughter’s tiny head.
Then slowly and cautiously Tara opened her eyes and looked into the eyes of her daughter and Hope recognized her mother at once.
Tears ran down Tara’s face as Willow moved into her sight and she knew that now she was reunited with her family again.

“Now it’s time for you to get some sleep too,” Willow said, after she had helped medic Cheryl put Hope back into the incubator and sat down at her side again, taking her hand.
“But I don’t need to sleep,” Tara protested weakly, though the yawn that followed betrayed her.
“Tara, you’re tired,” Willow said, “you can hardly keep your eyes open as it is.”
“What if I don’t wake up again?” the blond woman asked fearfully.

“You heard what Doc Cottle said sweetie,” Willow said and gently caressed Tara’s cheek with her fingers. “You’ll be perfectly fine.”
Her mouth twitched with a suppressed grin. “I’ll make sure you’ll wake up tomorrow morning. I think the old ‘Sleeping Beauty’ routine should do the trick.
“And if that doesn’t work,” by now her smile was far from innocent, “I’ll splash some water onto your face.”
“No you wouldn’t,” Tara protested and then dryly added, “yes you would.”

“You are going to be fine,” Willow said and gave her a passionate kiss. “I promise to stay all night at your side, so you’re not alone.”
“No,” Tara said vehemently. “You need your sleep too and I’m going to sleep a lot better if I know you’re sleeping in our old bed. We did get our old quarters?”
“Yes we did,” Willow answered and pouted. “And that’s your revenge for me sending you to your quarters when I was lying here because of my knee, right?”
“That’s right!” Tara said and gave her red-haired wife the brightest smile she could muster and Willow surrendered.
“But only after you’ve fallen asleep kay?”
“Deal.”

Tara closed her eyes and enjoyed the sensation of Willow holding her hand and softly brushing her hair at the same time.
She couldn’t fall to sleep though, despite being really tired. The aspect of sleeping… of dreaming filled her with dread. What dreams, what nightmares would be waiting for her on the other side?
After a while of faking sleep Tara felt Willow tenderly kiss her lips and leave the room.

Tara didn’t like lying to Willow even if it was only pretending to be asleep.
She opened her eyes and turned her head so she could see Hope sleeping in her incubator.
‘What a miracle such a tiny baby is,’ she thought. Of course Hope hadn’t been the first baby Tara had seen in her life but this was different. This was her baby, her blood.
“But what kind of future can we offer you, Hope?” Tara whispered.

When she had agreed to carry their first baby she had believed that New Caprica might actually be the safe haven they had been looking for all this time and that both of them and the baby would some day go down to the surface to live there under a real sun again.

But that was all in the past and the second exodus had began.
Again they were on the run and more than ever Tara doubted that the Cylons would ever stop pursuing them.
Another hour later Tara could no longer fight it and gradually drifted into sleep.

[blockquote]Tara hurried through the old Opera house in the City of the Gods on Kobol, though how she knew this she could not tell.
She walked through the grand hallways, impressed by what she saw. The entire time Tara had the distinctive feeling that she wasn’t the only person in this great building and that’s she was suppose to look for something or someone.

After a while of walking around Tara arrived at what looked like the entrance atrium.
Looking down to the ground floor Tara spotted a toddler crossing the enormous space on wobbly legs.
“Hera!” came the cry of two voices as one.
Looking around Tara spotted Laura Roslin standing near the balustrade to her right and Sharon Valerii on the other side, both looking down at the child and then at each other.

‘Hera?’ Tara thought, ‘Sharon’s daughter? But didn’t she die shortly after she had been born?’ Puzzled Tara watched Laura and Sharon hurry to the nearest staircase. Both obviously determined to reach the baby first.
At first Tara had felt inclined to follow them but soon she felt herself drawn into a different direction than the human and Cylon woman.
Retracing her steps to a different staircase Tara headed down the steps and walked through the next open door.

Stepping through the door, Tara found herself on a stage and in the middle she saw a cradle standing directly in a single beam of light.
With fast steps Tara crossed over to the cradle and looked into it.
It was Hope, lying in the cradle, no doubt about that, but not the tiny baby she had last seen only a few minutes ago, but a possibly three months old Hope, who had grown into a healthy infant.

’She’s going to be okay,’ Tara thought, a huge wave of relief washed over her. She was just about to lean into the cradle and pick Hope up when, out of the corner of her eye, she became aware of a door right behind her, just a single door standing all by itself on the stage.

Without thinking about it, Tara turned around and walked towards the door. It was just an ordinary wooden door, nothing special about it.
She walked around the door to look at its backside, it was all the same.
Coming back to the front of the door Tara reached for the door handle to open the door.
With her hand nearing the handle Tara was suddenly frightened of what she might find behind that archway.
It was no use resisting, her hand grabbed the handle and turning it, she pushed the door open. But it wasn’t the back of the stage that she seeing through the doorframe – but New Caprica City and the day of the second exodus!

With a sudden flash the door and the opera house vanished and Tara found herself standing in the middle of the clearance again.
“Oh not again, please not again,” Tara pleaded whisperingly.
But everything happened exactly as she remembered, only this time she was a helpless bystander watching herself and Dawn struggle with Cylon Faith and her centurion bodyguard.
“No!” Tara cried when she watched Dawn being gunned down by the merciless robot.

“No, no, no!” Tara cried again and again. “Make it stop, please make it stop!”
It didn’t stop but started all over again, once they had left with the Raptor; like a movie set on repeat.
Each time Tara hoped that something would change, that the centurion wouldn’t see her gun, that Dawn would not try to blow herself up with Cylon Faith; but it always happened the same awful way.

“It’s all my fault,” Tara cried out, “please gods not Dawn! Please…”
“Tara wake up, you’re having a bad dream,” echoed a familiar voice through the battlefield of New Caprica and Tara’s nightmare stricken mind.[/blockquote]
With the cry still on her lips Tara sat up fast, being wide awake and with being awake came the knowledge that Dawn really was dead.
She knew it even though Willow hadn’t told her yet.

“Are you okay, Tara?”
Forcing her mind to focus, Tara saw Buffy standing at her bedside, placing a comforting arm around her shoulders.
“Buffy?” Tara asked weakly. “What’s the time?”
“About four o’clock in the morning,” the blond pilot said and answering Tara’s unasked question she added, “Just came off patrol duty and I wasn’t tired so I thought I might look in on your baby. How is she?”
She turned around to look at Hope sound asleep in her incubator.

“Doc says she is going to be fine,” Tara said, with a motherly smile.
“I’m glad to hear that,” Buffy said. “Better leave you now so you can go back to sleep.”
“No, no stay if you like,” Tara hurried to say. “I rather not try to sleep again right now, you know, nightmares. Just help me sit up properly.”
Buffy got another cushion, then helped Tara to sit up. She then sat down on the chair at Tara’s bedside.

Both woman remained silent for a while, until Tara broke the silence, knowing what her best friend desperately wanted to talk about.
“I’m so sorry about Dawn”, she said.
“You heard?” Buffy wondered, tears glistening in her eyes.
Tara shook her head, “didn’t have to. Your face and Willow’s said it all. And I saw how badly she was wounded, so…” Her voice broke and it took her a while before she could go on. “Back then I knew that I was lying to her when I said, ‘You’re going to be okay’.”

“What happened?” Buffy finally asked the question, that was clearly lying heavily on her mind.
“We ran into a humanoid Cylon and her centurion bodyguard,” Tara began, “but not just any skin job, oh no. But my ex – Faith. I see you remember her,” she added seeing Buffy’s eyes widen, probably remembering the former viper pilot holding her at gun point.
“At that point the occupation was over and the Cylons knew that, as did Faith. But she made it perfectly clear that she wouldn’t let me go.
“I don’t know if she intended to keep me as a sort of pet or to play family with me and Hope on a Basestar.”

She sighed before she went on, it was so hard to recall those terrible moments on New Caprica. “There was nothing I could do to stop her and Faith told me that as well. "Maybe she can't!" Dawn cried, "but I can!"
“I knew at once that she wanted to blow herself up with Faith and the centurion.
“She stood behind me and I turned around because I wanted to stop her. I really tried Buffy. But by turning around I exposed my weapon, the centurion saw it and he would have shot me, if Dawn hadn’t pushed me to the ground… she got gunned down by the bullets that were meant for me… for me and Hope…”

Tara stared into the space in front of her.
“Dawn,” she whispered, “she saved my life and the life of little Hope. But for the rest of my life, I will have to live with the knowledge that it was my mistake that got Dawn killed.”

“Why do you think it was your mistake?” Buffy asked quietly and Tara could spot no trace accusation in her voice.
“Because the centurion spotted the gun I carried and opened fire.”
“But he could also have detected the explosives Dawn was wearing,” Buffy said calmly. “Who knows what sensory capabilities these robots have. So I guess we will never know what might or might not have happened.

“Strange that you should be the one to comfort me, when it should be the other way around,” Tara said.
“Why shouldn’t I?” Buffy asked back. “I know you loved Dawn as much as I did. And I know that you have been there for her when you two were stuck in New Caprica City.” Buffy paused and took a deep breath. “And I want you to know Tara that I don’t blame you for Dawn’s death.”
“How can you not?” Tara cut in weakly.

“Because I love you, Tara. You’ve always been like a second sister to me. You are the wife of my best friend,” Buffy explained.
“I know I will never completely understand what happened down there on New Caprica but I know that I will lose you too if I start pondering whether or not I should blame you for what I can’t change anymore. I’ve lost so many people dear to me already.
“I can’t stand losing any more.”

“You look surprised?” Tara observed after a while of silence between them.
“Well, I am,” Buffy said back. “I didn’t expect myself to say what I just said. But I know that it is true nevertheless.”
Both woman fell silent and holding each other’s hand they sat together, knowing that what they had between them was beyond family, beyond friendship.

“It will be of some comfort to me, that Dawn didn’t die in vain but to save the lives of you and Hope,” Buffy said. “There’s just one thing I don’t understand.
“Dawn was wearing an explosive belt. But Col. Tigh insisted that she was not one of the suicide bombers from his resistance cell."
“She wasn’t,” Tara said carefully.
“But she was wearing a bomb!” Buffy cried out. “And he’s been the one sending people out to blow themselves up.”

“I’m sure he did,” Tara explained patiently. “But he only send members of the Colonial forces, no civilians, and Dawn didn’t know Col. Tigh. I don’t know how but she managed to get her hands on some explosives “
“But how, when she didn’t know Tigh?” Buffy wanted to know. “And what was it that she wanted to blow up?” She sat back, trying to calm herself down.

“A few days earlier Dawn saw Faith for the very first time,” Tara said and then she told Buffy about the woman Dawn knew as Roxie Hart and that she had been in love with her.
“She thought the love of her life killed back on the colonies and when she found out that she had actually been in love with the enemy – a Cylon - I guess it was too much for her and she wanted to kill Faith / Roxie and herself at the same time.”
“She went through so much,” Buffy said to herself. “She was always the more sensible one of us and with the destruction of the Colonies and her kids killed on Cloud Nine…”

“I don’t know if it is of any comfort to you,” Tara said, “but when I found her in all the chaos of the rescue operation, she no longer wanted to kill herself. She had already disconnected the detonator from the explosives.”
This, Tara could see, really was of some comfort to Buffy.

Looking around the room, Tara was surprised to see the parka she had been wearing that day. She briefly wondered how it might gotten there but then she remembered something else.
“Buffy,” she asked. “Could you get me my wallet from my coat pocket?”

“Sure,” Buffy said and stood up. Picking the pockets for a bit she returned with Tara’s wallet. From it Tara produced the strands of Dawn’s hair she had put there and handed them to a now crying Buffy. She looked at it like the most precious thing she had ever seen in her life.
“Thank you so much Tara,” Buffy said and gave Tara a hug.
She then excused herself and left to get some sleep.

Lying down again Tara watched Hope still sleeping soundly. “How much I’m looking forward to hold you again,” she whispered. “And I can’t wait for the two of us to get released from the sick bay and go home.”
She paused for a bit, “home,” she repeated more loudly and she knew that right now and despite everything, these two windowless rooms, deep within a mighty war machine – a Battlestar, really was the home of Hope, Willow and herself.

Last edited by Dax on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:53 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... Good to see Tara's point of view what happened during the coma...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:41 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Hello my dear friend!!

This was really nice. I feel for Tara. So much guilt for such a beautiful soul... I can't wait for her to get back to her "home" indeed. With her wife's arms to hold her, and their infant to happily watch at night...

Now you got me all curious about her dream though, how come Tara's having this dream, and how come Hope is in the craddle? You worry me my friend.

Thanks for this update.

It was lovely. :)

Friendly,

Julia :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:08 pm 
3. Flaming O

I heard they’re still eating paper, is that true?
No – paper shortage.

[center]Chapter Eight
And the Sky Full of Stars[/center]

“Raptor 124; Galactica. Approach landing bay. Speed 106. Checkers red. Call the ball,” Mayor Willow Rosenberg called out to the approaching Raptor.
“Copy that;” answered Captain Louanne Katraine, sounding very tired and repeated Willow’s instructions.
On her telemetry-screens Willow monitored Raptor 124 approach the Galactica.
Then she looked down from her elevated flight control booth onto the landing pad as the Raptor flew inside the enormous landing space. It’s hull plating smoking from being subjected to intense solar radiation.

Captain Katraine – ‘Kat’ brought her Raptor down rather hard, the sound echoing up to where Willow was sitting behind her station.
“Skids down,” Willow reported and turned a switch, “mag lock secure.” She went on once she had a green panel. “Bringing you down.”
Operating some more dials and switches Willow transported the Raptor down to the hangar bay, closing the landing pad over the Raptor.

“Welcome home ’Kat’” Willow said as she erased the Raptor from the flight board.
“Thanks `Red-Dyke`” Louanne answered and Willow smiled briefly. She liked that most of Galactica’s pilots still called her by her call sign, though in her current position this was no longer required.
“How do you feel Louanne?” Willow asked ‘Kat’, who was piloting the last Raptor that returned.
“I think I could use a shower,” Louanne answered with a weak laugh.
“Well, then I can tell you that there’s already one being prepared for you down in the port hangar bay,” Willow answered.
Of course there really was a shower waiting for ‘Kat’, as for all the other Raptor pilots – a decontamination shower that is.

Little over a week ago it was discovered that most of the fleet’s food supplies had been contaminated. By now food was running low throughout the fleet and it would only be a matter of time before food riots would break out.
Willow was now holding herself up with water and some crackers, saving as much as she could for Tara who had to breastfeed little Hope.

Luckily, on a scout mission Sharon Agathon - call sign now 'Athena', had found the passage to a planet with algae which, once processed, would provide them with all they needed to nurture them.
The downside to this discovery however was that the passage to this planet was filled with radiation and the blinding light of a star cluster.
To take the whole fleet around the cluster would take far too much time, even without dooming food riots.
It was also too far to make it in one jump. So the only way to get the fleet there, was to jump right into this hellhole and then jump to the planet from there.
The only problem was, once inside the cluster, it would be impossible for the civilian ships to find their bearing and coordinates for the final jump.

So the admiral came up with a plan.
The majority of the civilians would be brought onto the Galactica while the ships with a skeleton crew would make the jump into the star cluster with a Raptor assigned to each one of them.
Within the cluster each Raptor, with its shielding better protected against the radiation, was to transmit coordinates to their assigned civilian ship and jump out again before it collected too much radiation.

Each jump into the cluster would expose the Raptor pilots to a severe dose of radiation and a total of five round trips had to be carried out. And that all on a empty stomach and with growing radiation sickness.
Nevertheless the job had to be done and Willow had nothing but the highest respect for the pilots like ‘Starbuck’, ‘Kat’, ‘Apollo’ and of course her best friend ‘Slayer’

They were on the last leg of their mission now.
Once the pods were retracted, they would jump back to rejoin the rest of the fleet.
Following a brief rest then, the pilots were to jump into the star cluster for the fifth time - except those who had already gotten more than the allowed dose of radiation.

About an hour before Willow had to send out the Raptors again she argued with herself if she should use the short break to go and visit Tara and Hope in the infirmary.
Three days ago, Hope had finally grown strong enough to leave the incubator for good and the day after tomorrow both Tara and Hope would be allowed to leave the infirmary and come home. Hope had really made an amazing progress so far.

After a moment’s consideration Willow decided against the short visit.
With the little sleep she had gotten the past days, Willow knew she was looking terrible and she wouldn’t want Tara to worry.
Plus, Tara would certainly insist on Willow eating something.
‘No, better try to catch some sleep,’ Willow thought and unpacked the folded field bed she had brought into the flight control booth. Time was too short for going all the way down to their quarters.
Lying down on the field bed and covering her eyes with her arm, Willow’s thoughts drifted back to Tara.

Five days after Tara had woken from her coma, Willow had taken it upon herself to tell Tara about the c-section and that Doctor Cottle had to remove her uterus, in order to save her from bleeding to death.
She had taken the news that she would not be able to have another child rather well. Though Willow considered that some of this had been merely a front because she couldn’t imagine what it would’ve been like if she had lost the ability to have a child of her own.

They hadn’t actually really discussed it before but there had been the understanding between them that when they would have a little sister or brother for Hope then Willow would be the one to become pregnant.
Luckily enough, the rest of Xander’s “inheritance” had remained with Galactica’s medical cold storage, when they left for Pegasus.
‘One day we’ll have to talk about that little sibling for our Hope,* Willow thought as she drifted into a light slumber.

“Just five more minutes, mom!” Willow mumbled when the alarm of her palm top went off. Stretching herself carefully, Willow slowly sat up and yawned.
‘Once we get to that planet,’ Willow thought. ‘I’m going to sleep an entire day.
‘Or until I bring Tara and Hope back home from the infirmary.’
She longed to live together with her wife and daughter as a family, even if it was on a Battlestar.
For the time being these two rooms were their home and who knew how long the search for Earth was going to take.

‘I might not even live to see Earth,’ Willow thought as she rose from the field bed. ‘Maybe Hope will be all grown up with children of her own before the Children of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol can be reunited with their long lost brethren.

Willow got to her feet. “My family,” she said into the quiet, very much liking the sound of it.
A family, wife and daughter and with Buffy someone as close to a big sister as possible.
‘And don’t forget Dawn,’ Willow reminded herself. ‘she really was the little sister you never had.’ Dawn who had died saving both Hope and Tara

Together with Buffy Willow had pulled some strings with Admiral Adama and Tara had a long phone call with the new old President Laura Roslin in order to get Buffy the permission to take Dawn’s body down to the planet and give her a proper burial, instead of having it floating through space forever.
They wouldn’t stay on this planet though, Willow knew. For the time being there would be no New Caprica again.
Buffy wouldn’t be able to return to Dawn’s graveside ever again once they left the system.

“On my mark. Five, four, three, two, one – Jump!” Came the voice of Felix Gaeta over the ships pa system. His announcement was followed by the familiar sensation of the Battlestar making the jump and in a blink of an eye, materializing within the fiery hell of the star cluster.
To Willow it was like she could feel the radiation bombarding Galactica’s hull, trying to find its way inside.
For now of course they were still quite safe within the ship.
Galactica’s hull platting was capable to keep out most of the hard stuff, even though by now several compartments of the Battlestar were starting to experiencing system failures caused by the radiation.

The pilots however, out in their Raptors, were more exposed to the radiation and had to wear radiation badges because of that.
Willow could see that Buffy’s badge turned more and more black because of the radiation it was subjected to with every jump her best friend took into the cluster.
Most of the pilots were already suffering from radiation poisoning as it was. Some more than others and ‘Helo’ had even been pulled off duty because his badge had no more white spots left.

Willow was glad that both Hope and Tara were still in the most secure place of the ship and her thoughts once again drifted back to her daughter, as she listened to the pilots on the wireless searching for their assigned civilian ships, because as soon as they all jumped into the cluster they got send of course by the blinding lights.
And the clock was ticking.
They could only stay a very short time in this cluster before the radiation would literally fry their instruments. Not to mention what it did to the pilots in the Raptors and the much less shielded civilian ships.

Hope Alexandra Maclay.
Not one day went by without Willow being completely amazed by the tiny human being. The strength of her tiny fingers when she held on to her mama’s finger.
“The children are our future,” a song said.
How true this song was, now when they were but so few people.

A glance at her watch reminded Willow that the time was almost up and on the wireless she could hear ‘Slayer’ and the other Raptors pilots reporting to CIC that they had found their ships and transmitted the jump coordinates.
All but ‘Kat’ and Willow could hear the mounting desperation in her voice, as she reported in.

“Kat, report!” ‘Apollo’ called out.
“Negative. Frak! I lost the Sadin!”
‘Not again,’ Willow thought. ‘Kat’ had already lost one ship on the first round trip and Willow knew she was carrying a huge burden with the responsibility.
“I’m not losing another one!“ ‘Kat’ cried but Willow knew that they couldn’t stay any longer in this hell hole and surly enough, in that moment Admiral Adama ordered all ships to jump at once.
Willow could here ‘Kat’ call out again before the jump cut all communications.

“Jump completed,” Gaeta reported and Willow looked down into the landing bay, as the pod moved out in order to let the Raptor’s land.
“We’re missing Faru Sadin and one Raptor,” Willow heard over the ship’s intercom.
“It’s ‘Kat’,” Willow heard Geata’s voice, “She must’ve missed the order, she’s still out there.”

Willow’s heart froze and only on instinct she started to guide the first Raptor’s in. ‘Hotdog’, ‘Rice Paddy’, ‘Slayer’, ‘Starbuck’ and ‘Apollo’, ‘Mouse’ and all the others.
Moments later all the other Raptors had touched down and been brought down to the hangar bay and still ‘Kat’ had not reported back in.
“I’m not losing another one”, ‘Kat’ had said and Willow found herself praying to the Lords of Kobol to guide Louanne safely back to Galactica.

A full five minutes passed by until finally the awfully exhausted voice of Captain Luanne Katraine came over the wireless calling in: “Galactica ‘Kat’, mission accomplished.”
She had found the Faru Sadis and had brought her home and as soon as the CIC had acknowledged her signal Willow opened a channel for that Raptor.
“Raptor 124 Galactica,” she called out. “Great job ‘Kat’. Now let’s bring you in.”
She gave Louanne the necessary information and then watched the Raptor fly into the pot and get to the assigned landing pad.
Only barely ‘Kat’ managed to keep her bird flying in a straight line and again brought the Raptor down hard.

As soon she had the Raptor secured and elevated down, Willow grabbed her cane and hurried as fast as she could down to the hangar bay.
Right behind the perimeter set up at the bay a great number of people had gathered, all of the other Raptor pilots and off duty deck hands and many other officers including William Adama.
Willow pushed herself through to the second row, right behind the admiral and stood next to her friend Buffy who looked pretty sick from radiation sickness.
Together they watched the deckhands in heavy radiation suits hose down the Raptor.

The Raptor’s hatch swung open and they could see ‘Kat’ struggle to get out of her seat and then making her way out of the Raptor.
As she stumbled out of the cockpit and onto the wing, Carl ‘Helo’ Agathon started to applaud and soon everybody joined in.
Standing on the wing, Louanne slowly raised her arms in victory and the applause got even louder.

Next Louanne tried to take off her helmet and she struggled with that too and to Willow’s horror she then simply dropped over the side of the Raptor’s wing and fell to the ground.
The cheering ceased and silence fell over the hangar bay as two medics in radiation suits hurried over to the fallen pilot.

‘She’s dying,’ Willow thought helplessly. ‘She’s been out there too long and now she’s dying.’

The next six hours Willow slept a coma-like sleep.
She was off duty for the day and so, after eating something – more like less something, she left their quarter for the infirmary.

On her way she stopped by the pilot’s ready room just in time to see Admiral Adama replace ‘Apollo’s name plaque on the pilot’s duty roster with the one of ‘Kat’ as the CAC.
One last big gesture by the old man, to put the late Captain Louanne ‘Kat’ Katraine up on the board as senior pilot one last time.

Willow couldn’t stand the heavy, sad silence any longer and left her comrades in their sorrow over Louanne’s death.

How often could you get to the point where it all got too much?
Willow had been there so many times before, ever since the Cylons had attacked the Colonies. Like when she had carried the burned body of her best friend Xander, together with Cally to the morgue in Hangar Deck B.
Or when she had lost her flight status.
The day when she had been forced to leave Tara and Hope behind on New Caprica while bailing out with Pegasus and later returning to see her best friend’s sister being gunned down by a Cylon to save Tara and her unborn baby.

Every time Willow had felt like she couldn’t go on anymore but had done so for Tara’s sake, as well as for the sake of little Hope Alexandra.
Again someone had lost her life because they were on the run from the Cylons. Not to forget the 5179 people who had not returned from New Caprica.

Of course ‘Kat’ meant more to Willow than the faceless thousand.
She hadn’t been really close with Louanne. She had been among the first bunch of ‘Nugget’s’ trained by ‘Starbuck’ and had brought some incredible flying skills to the job and from that she had become an even more outstanding pilot.
Only one time, when they had taken the tylium asteroid away from the Cylons, had Willow actually flown with ‘Kat’.
Louanne had been a fellow pilot and a comrade in arms and that had always been something of great importance to Willow, besides her marriage to Tara and her close relationship with Buffy.

“Semper Fidelis – Always Faithful”, was more than a mere motto to Willow, it was part of her very being and what serving with the Colonial Force – especially after the fall of the Twelve Colonies – was all about for her.

Not wanting to wake Tara or Hope, Willow quietly entered Tara’s room in the infirmary, only to find Tara and Hope up and awake.
The sight of Tara breastfeeding Hope let Willow stop in mid step and watch in amazement.

This peaceful scene was so completely different to what was going on outside this small room or Willow's mind.
Without her really noticing, Willow’s eyes filled with tears and soon she was crying hard.

Alarmed Tara looked up and seeing her wife being raged with sobs, she gently “detached” Hope from her breast, with Hope only mildly protesting, and put her back into her cradle right next to her bedside.
Tara then get up and gently lead Willow to the bed and they both sat down.
Burying her face in Tara’s hair, Willow cried and cried until she had no more tears left.

“I don’t think I can do this anymore,” Willow whispered, her mouth near Tara’s ear. “Day in and day out I’m sending my pilots out there, sending them right into harm’s way.
“But against the Cylons at least they have a chance to defend themselves, but they couldn’t fight radiation with guns. But I had to send them out to jump into this hellhole in order for them to get us all here.”
Willow sat up and told Tara about ‘Kat’ and how she had died. Tara didn’t say a word, but listened to Willow and comforted her by simply holding her hand.

“So you wanna quit?” Tara asked after Willow and finished and fell silent.
“What?” the distraught redhead asked.
“Quit working at flight control,” Tara completed her question, if not her suggestion. “I mean if it’s too hard on you. The responsibility of sending the pilots out and all that goes with it.”
“No,” Willow answered without having to think about her answer. “Because it would mean for me to turn my back on my comrades .”
As soon as she had said it, Willow knew it was true.
“Semper Fidelis,” Willow whispered to herself and straightened her back. “Always faithful.”

Tara’s simple question had cleared it all up and Willow knew that she would continue to serve in the position assigned to her by Admiral Adama. Because walking out on her comrades, on the people of the fleet, was unthinkable for Willow Rosenberg.

“How do you do that?” she asked quietly.
“What?” Tara asked back,
“Clear things up for me, show me the way, so I can see clearly again,”
“I didn’t think I did anything special,” Tara said, making Willow smile.
“You know, Tara,” Willow said, still smiling, “I think I would’ve given up a long time ago, if it hadn’t been for you keeping me grounded and safe.” She paused briefly to kiss her wife on her mouth, “… and so very much loved.”

It was now that Hope decided she wanted some attention too and she started to cry.
At once Willow was at her side and gently lifted her out of her cradle.
“Of course you are important to me too Hope,” she said and walked back to Tara and sat down at her side again.
“There you go,” she said to her daughter, “all good again, are we?”
She laughed when she watched Hope’s tiny hands reach out to her breast. “I think she’s still hungry,” she said to Tara, then looking down at herself she added: “and I don’t believe these boobies offer what our little angel is desiring right now.”
“Willow!” Tara said, her eyes open wide in disbelief.
“It’s okay,” Willow said, though colouring considerably, “she doesn’t actually understand the words yet that we’re saying.”

On that Tara gave her a half grin, then pulled up her shirt again to let Hope have some more.
Once more this sight send a wave of emotions through Willow’s body.
‘Hope should really have a little brother or sister,’ she thought. ‘Probably not any time soon but within the next years or so certainly.’
Out loud she said, “so Hope, how would you like getting out of this place and seeing your new home?”

“You know Willow, the c-section doesn’t mean that I turned into glass,” Tara joked as her wife lead her extra carefully through Galactica’s hallways.
“I’m over-doing it, aren’t I?” Willow sheepishly.
“Only a little,” Tara smiled. “But I always found you extremely adorable when you did that.” Her smile turned wicked. “Maybe tonight I’ll show you how adorable…”

Hadn’t it been for the being in ‘public’ right now and Tara carrying Hope, Willow would’ve been very tempted to take Tara up on her offer.
So with her arm around her waist she simply smiled seductively back at her love.

“Do you mind if we take a little detour?” Willow asked next.
“Where to?” Tara asked curiously.
“You’ll find out!”

The somewhat long way, lead the two woman and their baby to the very bow of the Galactica and the small observation lounge, situated at the nose of the Battlestar – the only room that had windows.
The lounge was like a small theatre with comfortable chairs, facing a big window. At times a screen would be pulled down to show movies and in the old days also live broadcast of big sports events.

As Willow and Tara entered the room, they found it completely empty and Willow lead Tara down to the big window.
Looking out of the window they could see the Algae Planet stretched out beneath them, silent and peaceful.
At this moment several teams were down on the surface harvesting and pre-processing the algae.

Standing in front of the window, the love of her life at her side carrying the child of their love in her arms, Willow felt perfectly content and happy.

At that moment it didn’t matter that they all were still on the run from the Cylons, that they hadn’t yet found the way to Earth, or all the other more immediate problems they had right now.
She was with her wife and family and that was all that mattered.

Gently Willow took Tara’s face into her hands and kissed her on her lips, and then she took their daughter from her arms.
Holding her carefully under her arms, Willow raised Hope over her head, like she wanted to present her to the world outside the Battlestar Galactica.

Hope Alexandra let out a loud giggle of delight, as she looked out of the big window and her little hands reached out to the sky full of stars stretching out in front of her.

“Universe, meet Hope Alexandra Maclay,” Willow said solemnly. “Hope – your playground.”

[center]The fight for the survival of humanity continues.

A Love Beyond the Stars – Signs and Portents[/center]

Last edited by Dax on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:49 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:16 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Awww my dear Bernd, this is great! And not a cliff hanger!!! How cool is that.

I hope that the 4th season will come to you soon, and that you'll find a way to make the next instalment.

It was really nice. And even if you can't make a new one, this could really well be the end. :)

Hope it is not though.

They make a great family.

Thank you very much my dear friend.

*hugs

Julia :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:26 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hey great update ... does this mean that this story is finished and a new one is starting???

-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:36 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Daxy I love little Hope she is a sweetie Willow and Tara having a wonderful family makes my heart smile my friend I have waited for a long time for this and here it is sorry for the late feed back work has been holding me hostage. Poor Dawn and Buffy with her suffering I am glad that she and Tara have gotten closer bravo my friend more soon I hope :pinky :pinky :pinky :pinky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:50 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I hate to bump threads, but wanted to say I've loved this whole series and would love to see it continue. To anyone who hasn't read Dax's A Love Beyond the Stars series, I highly recommend it, whether you're a BSG fan or not. Terrific. Deserves way more feedback than it received.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four

Or find it at The Looking Glass or the archive. Go go go read!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:53 pm 
3. Flaming O

Thank you very mutch jasmydae for your feed back and advertising!

Dax
:yikes

Of course that goes for all my readers and feedbacker's - can I say that? feedbaker's? :paranoid

:kgeek

“What Dreams may Come”