The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Chronicles Of Merrick (Updated 26 - August - 2008)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:39 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 1
hello,

I don't really know what to say. I can understand why one would fall for Tara, poor Morgan. I have to admit I don't understand really what's appening in this fic, since there is so much mystery around everything. I hope we'll understand more soon, and well that Tara will remember a bit more. Not too much too soon of course or she'll suffer but ya know... At least some stuff?

I know you said it was more a Tara fic though, so I don't expect hearing from Willow. Well not before around the end anyway.

I am really curious about Merrick. And why is he doing this exactly?

Anyway,

Hope to read more soon. :)

Friendly,

Julia

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

Post subject: Re: The Chronicles Of Merrick (Updated 26 - August - 2008)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:41 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

So here it is guys, the beginning of the end. Song lyrics once again provided by Kayleigh Morgan, Tara belongs to Joss Whedon, and Merrick is mine :). Slight warning: This chapter contains some strong language, so if that'll offend you don't read on (though I'd prefer it if you would). Thank you for reading, there's one chapter left after this and then it'll be finished. But don't be disheartened if you like Merrick because I have big big plans for him still to come in Volume 2 of The Chronicles of Merrick. Thank you again, really, this story would be nothing without it's readers. So here's the chapter:

[center]Image[/center]

[center]Hold On For Turbulence Pt 1[/center]

[center]'Who's in the next room? - Who?
A figure wan
With a message to one in there of something due?
Shall I know him anon?'
'Yea, he; and he brought such; and you'll know him anon.'

Thomas Hardy 'Who's In The Next Room.'[/center]

[center]Like an obelisk towards which the principal streets of a town converge, the strong will of a proud spirit stands prominent and commanding in the middle of the art or war.
Clausewitz On War[/center]

[center]For Kayleigh,
who goes out of her way
to help
everyone
else,
even when it causes
her
pain.
Whether she admits it or not. [/center]

“Damn it Merrick, I want to know what's happening to me!” Yelled Tara, the argument had been raging for almost the full three weeks since they’d returned from Wales, and her temper was fraying.
“I've told you Tara, I honestly don't know. I only have guesses, and they're uncertain ones-”
“Well guess then!” She yelled again, cutting him off.
She hadn't, all things considered, had a very good few weeks: Morgan's odd goodbye was eating at her inside, and the girl wouldn't answer her phone or return any calls. On top of that there were the floating half memories that she just couldn't grasp. Then there was the whole thing with the purple eyes, queen of magic thing she had going on whilst in Wales. She didn't understand it at all, and Merrick, for all his years and knowledge had no explanation. He sighed at her and dropped into his winged back chair, leaning back thoughtfully.
“You're asking questions of me, Tara, to which there may be no definite answer. What I did pushed the boundaries of magic further than I believe they’ve ever been pushed before .” Merrick spoke as though he had intoned this sentence a million times in the past few weeks.
“So you've said, but what you did has been done before; it's dangerous and requires great power, but it's been done.”
“Not like this Tara. I invoked ancient magic to get to you.”
“I think,” started Tara, falling into the chair opposite Merrick “that it's time you were honest with me. I want to know exactly what you did to bring me back and exactly what suspicions you have as to my new powers.” She stared at him intently
Merrick nodded.
“You've heard of the urn of Osiris, right?”
Tara's eyes widened with shock and realisation.
“I didn't use one, there was only one left in the world, and it was destroyed years ago. I only mentioned it to give you an idea of the magnitude of my problem. The urn is the only way of resurrecting a person from the dead with all of their faculties in tact, and even then there are strict rules and the person doesn't always come back . . . right.”
“But I thought you said I was trapped in-”
“You were dead. I didn't tell you that at the time, you were in a fragile state.” Tara looked shocked and opened her mouth to speak but Merrick held up his hand “Look, if you want to get anywhere with this, you'd do well not to interrupt. Okay?”
Tara nodded her agreement and Merrick continued.
“You were dead. Now the circumstances of your death were strange indeed. You died of natural causes, technically, but you shouldn't have. The people who killed you were after someone else, you got caught in the crossfire. It was their second attempt. The first went horribly wrong for them and so they decided, in their stupidity, to call upon ancient and powerful magic and have another go. Have you heard of the eye of Rah-Mesh?”
This time Tara's knowledge failed her and she shook her head.
“It's ancient, older than anything else on this plain of existence as far as I know. Now these people had heard of it but didn't understand it. They activated it, to its basest level of power, and travelled, somehow, back in time, for all extents and purposes. It may be that they created a completely new dimension where their first, failed attempt, hadn't happened. I don't know. Now you weren't supposed to die, because like I said, there are prophecies that, though vague like all prophecies, seem authentic and mention you. However, because of what these three did, time was thrown all asunder, and there had to be severe consequences . . . you.
“I was charged with the task of bringing you back, which was no small feat. I looked into everything I could and finally came across a mention of this eye, and studied it further, and realised what had happened, and how simple the solution really was. I needed the blood of the person who last activated the eye and an immortal to cross over. I knew where to find the person who activated the eye and I'm immortal enough. I also needed a way to trap a soul that is ready to depart and very precise spells.
“I managed to get all these things together and crossed, using the eye, across both time and dimension to come to the exact point where you died. I trapped your soul before it could ascend to a higher plain, where there would be no chance of bringing it back. I then returned to the present. Several more complicated spells made you corporeal and here we are.
“Now as to these new powers, when we came back to this realm, your soul and I that is, we were ripped apart and for a short time were one indiscernible being. Now what my speculations are is that part of me could have rubbed off on you at this point, and so the powers you've been showing are actually a part of me, being projected by you. Being a witch, power manifests differently in you. If I'm right, then these powers should dissipate over time. Although, I could be completely wrong, and it could all be something to do with the eye. Like I said, guesswork.”
Merrick finished his monologue, most of which had only been worked out in the last week or so, and leant back in his chair. Tara was still trying to digest all the information, and seemed to be having difficulty with it. There was still so much she didn't understand. She sighed and looked over at Merrick, who still had his eyes closed. These past few weeks had been hard on all of them, Merrick especially. She'd been so hard on him, taking out her frustrations over Morgan on him and demanding constantly to know what was going on with her powers. He had a dark shadow around his jaw and dark circles under his eyes, and with him leaning back the way he was now, with his eyes closed, he looked surprisingly weak. It worried her that someone she knew to be so strong, both inside and out, could look thus. He opened his eyes and looked at her. She too was showing signs of the stress of the past few weeks, with dark circles of her own, and hair that looked a little worse for wear.
“At the moment, that's as far as I've got. I've been trying to look more into this eye, but there's very little on it. I'm waiting for a volume that should have some information, but until I get that you'll have to take what I've said.”
Tara nodded, it wasn't quite as enlightening as she'd have liked, but she knew it was all she was going to get for now. Merrick sat forward in his chair and rolled his head from side to side, stretching his neck muscles. At that moment the phone rang, making Tara jump. Merrick got out of the chair and walked slowly to the phone and answered it. He listened to someone on the other line talking excitedly.
“You're joking?!” He waited for another burst of exited chatter from the other party, then: “I'll be there as soon as I can, wait for me.” And he hung up the phone and turned back to Tara.
“I need to go out for a while, stay in here okay?” She nodded and Merrick threw on his coat and left.
He hurried down his stairs and out on to the street, and frowned for what must be the millionth time that week at Tai's car. It was parked outside the building, and had been ever since they got back. Tai had said something about an errand he had to run when they got back and they hadn't seen him since. Merrick wasn't worried, after all he barely knew Tai, and the man could take care of himself. Merrick had a quick look around and hurried down the street.
Merrick's destination was the city museum, a place he really didn't like very much after his last visit. He had a meeting with the curator, and the short bearded man ran down the front steps to meet him.
“You know, this thing really frightens me, I'm glad you hurried,” squeaked the curator as Merrick approached.
“Of all the things you have in there, this frightens you?”
“Yes Merrick, this frightens me. You know what it is right?”
“Oh I know full well what it is; it's why I want it. Where is it?”
“Inside, do you think I'd go running out into the street with it? Come on.”
He led Merrick inside the building.
Meanwhile, back at the apartment, Tara was busying herself making a cup of tea when there was a knock at the door making her jump for the second time in a couple of hours. She picked up the small but very sharp knife that was sitting on the table and walked cautiously to the door. She eased it open slowly and relaxed.
“Oh, it's you,” she smiled and stepped aside to let the person in “I was just making tea, want one?”
Merrick sat down opposite John in his small office, and the curator pulled a very large and very old looking book out of his draw. He slid it very cautiously over to Merrick, treating it as though it was highly explosive. Merrick took the book and examined it carefully.
“What did you have to do to get it?” asked Merrick.
“Oh, you don't want to know. Trust me. I don't have it indefinitely though, so you'll have to bring it back when you're done.”
Merrick nodded and stood up to leave, then turned back to John.
“How are our friends doing?” He asked.
“Oh, fine. They scare me too, but I've gotten used to them now. I was just going to check on them when you left.”
Merrick nodded again and this time actually left. He had a lot of reading to do, the book was heavy and he was hurrying along with it tucked under his coat.
Tai's car was still outside the building when he got back; no surprise. A man in a beanie staggered out of the door practically carrying a girl who was wearing a heavy jacked and a baseball cap. Merrick didn't pay them any attention: he was in a hurry to look through the book. He rushed through the door and ran up the stairs, taking them two at a time. When he got to his door he pulled the book out from under his coat and shifted into his left hand so that he could get out his keys and unlock the door. He pushed the key in to the hole and turned, or rather tried to. The door wasn't locked. Merrick frowned and pushed it open. The apartment was a mess, his bookcase had been pushed over, as had the TV and the door to the bedroom was hanging off its hinges, there was also a lot of general mess that certainly wasn't there before. Merrick stepped into the room.
“Tara?” He called, cautiously.
There was a noise like air being sucked into a vacuum and then an explosion tore through the apartment and Merrick was thrown off his feet and blown through the opposite wall. The explosion left a gaping hole in the side of the building where Merrick's apartment had been, and Merrick got to his feet from under the pile of plaster and rubble he found himself and walked to where the door to his apartment used to be. He looked down and saw the smouldering remains of the book he got from John. He punched a hole in the wall and screamed.
“FUUUUCK!!!”
Merrick was angry, and he leapt out of the hole where he used to live and landed on the street below, shocking several people. He thought of the couple that left as he arrived. The girl, staggering as though drunk, but in hindsight looked more hurt. Blonde hair tucked under a baseball cap. He swore again and took off down the street in a run, then stopped and ran in the other direction. He had no idea where to look. He swore a third time, and then calmed down; he knew a way to find her. There were things he needed, and the only place he knew where he could get them was practically the other side of town. His nostrils flared and he looked at Tai's car. What the hell, he thought, and broke the car's window with his elbow and climbed in. He tore off the plastic concealing the wires under the steering column and touched the ignition wires together and the car started. He drove away leaving smoke and tire marks behind.
Hundreds of miles away a young woman got up onto a stage in front of a sparse audience in a small pub; she plugged in her guitar and spoke into the microphone:
“This is song's one of mine, it's got a funny story behind it. . . which I'm not going to tell you. It's called Turbulence.” Morgan took a deep breath and began to play.

[center]
I said "Come here,
sit down with me.
Relax.
I've got a while before I leave.
swear me
everything before I go.
sketch it out, I'll write it down."
[/center]

Merrick sped across town in Tai's car, other road users beeping their horns at him and flashing him rude hand gestures, but he ignored them.

[center]And I promised,
I promised to come home.
But the light cut out
and the fuel is low.[/center]

He skidded to a halt outside Morgan's LA apartment, and he jumped out of the car almost before it had stopped and ran up to the door. He ran to the stairs and hurried up them, taking them three at a time until he finally came to Morgan's door.

[center]So here we are again.
Hold on for turbulence.
I'm crashing down without a 'chute
and burning up in
my lost dreams of you.[/center]

He pushed they key into the lock and turned it, there was a click as the door unlocked and Merrick pushed it open. He strode across the room and into the bedroom, where he headed for the dresser, hoping she hadn't taken them with her. He opened the dresser and found what he was looking for. He pulled out a map and a small crystal suspended on a piece of string. He set the map out on the floor and dangled the crystal over it. The crystal began to swing wildly and finally came to a halt over what appeared to be the very same building site Merrick had fought Baybars, what felt like a lifetime ago. His jaw tensed as he ran from the room, not bothering to lock the door as he went.

[center]You sighed.
You said "I'm gonna miss you."
I said “I know” because I couldn't bear to say it
back to you.
It was awkward.
You were so close yet so damn far.
It's my fault that we are here,
I'm breaking my own heart.[/center]

Merrick screeched to a halt outside the building site and again leapt from the car almost before it stopped. He ran into the site and leapt the railing, landing in the middle of what would probably be the basement of the building if it was ever finished. He saw her. Tara was slumped against a pillar in the centre of the, for lack of a better term, room. Merrick advanced toward her slowly and she looked up, she shook he head at him, her eyes bulging wildly and he was about to turn around when he was hit in the small of the back by what felt like a wrecking ball. It sent him flying to the other side of the room and he hit the wall with tremendous force.
“I knew you'd come.” Said a familiar voice, and Tai emerged from the shadows and walked purposefully towards Tara without taking his eyes from Merrick, who got to his feet and glared at Tai.
“Not so fast,” said Tai, and held up his hand. What looked like lightening burst from his outstretched hand and hit the advancing Merrick square in the chest and he was thrown once again at the wall “I'm really don't intend on underestimating you, Merrick.”
Merrick struggled to his feet again, that last blast had done some damage.

[center]And I promised
that it would never happen again.
But the engine dies,
it's dark up ahead.[/center]

Tai reached Tara and grabbed a handful of her hair, pulling her to her feet. Merrick surged forwards but had barely got three paces before he was thrown right back to the wall and Tai laughed.
“Oh Merrick, if only you could see yourself. . .” Tai chuckled, clearly amused “now, if you don't mind, I'll be taking Tara with me.” He said, and began walking towards the steps with Tara “and you, shall be staying right here.” He yelled and threw Tara at the steps while sending lightening at every support structure in the room and one at Merrick, who was once more blasted hard against the wall, only this time a large rock fell on his head too. It was followed by a second, and soon the entire building site was falling down on Merrick while Tai dragged Tara out to his car.

[center]So here we are again.
Hold on for turbulence.
I'm crashing down without a 'chute
and burning up in
my lost dreams of you.

So here is our last flight.
I faced the fire for you tonight.
I sacrificed everything
just to make you happy once again.
"Goodbye" I said.
[/center]

Last edited by Lecter on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Chronicles Of Merrick (Updated 1 - September - 2008
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:18 pm 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 5
Absolutely genius!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:28 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

please please please comment people. . .

please?

Pleeeeease?

Next chapter's on the way. . . .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:25 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 1
Oops, sorry I thought I had feedbacked!

That's a stressful update. Yet I felt something about Tai was off, but only in the beginning of this chapter.

:)

Friendly,

Julia.

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:45 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

hey just caught up with this story ... will it be finished soon? :D

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre