The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Night of Broken Glass --New Fic
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:05 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
gah. so. good.

good update, things are getting even more tense(if at all possible).

Of course it would be this that will be Willows undoing
Quote:
She could wait. She could. But not knowing about Xander: That was the hard part. And she couldn’t stay here forever.
she cares so much for Xander that she will risk herself to see if he is alright.

i don't have much time, but i am still very glad to see an update and am always thankful for such a wonderful story

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:25 pm 
9. Gay Now

Cool Story!

Very well done!

... and eee. I am having Caleb-seeing-Xander-with-boy-scout-Buffy thoughts and it makes me nervous!

Can't they all just mysteriously gang up on Caleb and break his knee caps or something?

db

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:26 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 1
June,

Another excellent posting. You're really spoiling us with this long and frequent updates. It's a good thing, too, because if you made us wait too long we might get a little growly.

I think Willow (Wilma) is very daring, for being a hunted Jew in Berlin. I love her plucky spirit, and the way she would dare just about anything to be with Tara. Her plea to Gruber to report the story on the camps is perfect - not enough to arouse suspicion, yet still pretend to be a Good German.

I love that Tara gave Willow a ring, and I love Xander's reaction:
Quote:
"But it is nice to know that when a woman woos another woman she resorts to jewelry just the same as us guys do."

I hope the next post isn't long in coming!
Phoenix
ps. thanks for your kind comments on my own story :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:32 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Wow, now I'm worried (again). Willow's stuck in a bathroom with the bad guys right outside, and stupid Caleb wants to clean his own house, but probably in a bloody and gruesome kind of way. I think he even has Spike kind of shaking in his Nazi boots. Oh, you must dispose of him soon!

At least Buffy (Bert - lol) showed up with some good news for Tara. But little does she know of Willow's current predicament. Plus, she's not even in the city to help out if needed. Oh, I think I'm gonna have an anxiety attack. Please fix this soon before I need some medication.

Great job again!

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:39 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hi,

sorry for not leaving FB before. But actually I went to Berlin over the weekend. And if it was a coincidence or not I stayed mainly in the quarter where all the government buildings are now and were located during NS regime. This includes an area between Wilhelmstr. and former Prinz-Albrecht-Str. on which Gestapo and SS headquarters were located. Not much is to be seen nowadays. Shown on the area is a quite interesting exhibit about the structure, the crimes and the difference between SS and Gestapo. Really terrifying. Some of the things I did no, some came totally new to me. And I had to think about your story.

Again I only can compliment you on your skill of writing emotions and bringing them to the reader. The way how you described the Willow/Tara meeting? I loved every word. And I so loved the reference to the doll eye cristal scene in Buffy. They are engaged now, aren't they? At least in their own eyes.

Poor Willow, stuck in the bathroom with not knowing what's going on outside. Gladly Helmut doesn't seem to remember her going to the bathroom. I wonder if Xander is able to rescue her. The whole homosexual thing from Caleb worries me. If they take Xander under suspicion how will it look to them that his young nephew is staying with him?

But I do think this Ravensbrück thing would not have been able in these times. And it is to dangerous too. But that's Willow, sometimes not thinking even if she has a sharp mind. I hope the outcome of this won't be to bad for her.

Looking forward to the next Willow-Tara-meeting. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:36 am 
2. Floating Rose

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your comments and for continuing to read along. I really appreciate it, and you help keep me going on this, so I'm very grateful. This is just a quick note of thanks to you...I'm a bit bleary-eyed tonight, so I won't have a chance to post the next part of the story until tomorrow, I think. Part of the bleary-eyed is that your encouragement on this story has kind of inspired me to write another one. So I'm writing and plotting it out right now. I may truly post it in installments while it's being written, as opposed to this story, which I waited to post until I had it pretty much done. I'm really seeing a lot of value in getting your comments.

I know we still have parts 8-10 to go on this story (and 9 & 10 are long with lots of angsty goodness packed in), but I have a question for you to think about as we approach the end and that's whether you think there shoud be a continuation...or sequel, if you will. Please be thinking about that, if you don't mind. It might be too soon to have an opinion at this point, so I'll ask again at the end, too.

Julia: You said you hope Willow manages to get out of the restroom soon. See, that's the hard part, because you know Willow's not going to stay in the back of the restaurant forever. And, you know, maybe she should.

Zooeys_Bridge: Thank you so much for posting comments even when you're short on time. Yes, Willow's concern for the people she loves (and people in general) will continue to haunt her a bit down the road. It's in her nature. Like Tara and the other Scoobies, she needs to know she has her people and that they're safe. In a big way, they're what keep her doing the things she has to do to get by.

db: Thanks so much for reading. I believe this is your first comment. Eieee is right! That guy Caleb seems to have eyes in the back of his head. And he has a quick and ruthless mind. He sees evil (or what he perceives is evil in his twisted way) as existing everywhere. He's definitely not a guy who gives anyone the benefit of the doubt. He's already suspicious about Spike, and now he's suspicious about Xander. Caleb's world is very suspicious indeed. He's reflecting a bit the paranoia and intolerance of the times.

Tara the Phoenix: I think you'll see fairly quickly that seeing Tara is not Willow's only motive for getting Gruber to agree to send her on a field trip. It's her darn pluckiness that's enabled her to evade being "euphemized" so far...She's confident in her ability to "hack" the system. But pluckiness is like dancing on a knife's edge--on one side there's creative self-preservation and on the other hand there's recklessness. I love her. She's my hero.

Wimpy: Glad you liked Buffy's undercover name: Bert. I'm enjoying putting Buffy in situations she totally would have hated as the Slayer on BTVS. I don't think I'm doing it out of being mean because I really like Buffy. I think it's more that she's usually so hard-boiled and empowered, and for this story to work everybody has to feel powerless and vulnerable at some point. We'll see more of her trademark bravery and pragmatism later...and more of her vulnerability. And, yes, it is hard to put Buffy out in the countryside and away from Willow and Xander. I'm discovering in this story that bad things do tend to happen when our Scoobies separate. But then, come to think of it, bad things happen even when they're together.

Sacinema: Wow, that's amazing you happened to have this trip to Berlin right now. I think I'll pm you with some questions that will help me with some details in upcoming scenes. I know there's no way the Party newspaper would have allowed a reporter to do a story on the camps (no matter how charming), so there's some dramatic license there...but Ravensbruck was in full swing by 1943-45, so Willow's in for an eyeful. I'm glad also that you picked up on the doll eye crystal reference. That was definitely intentional. There are a number of little things in the story that are small homages to moments from the show. I like the continuity (or reminders) they give in bringing the Sunnydale Hellmouth to WWII.

Again, thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. I must go sleep now...More posting tomorrow. Take care,

June

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:25 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Night of Broken Glass--PART 8

By Junecleavage

It's Berlin 1943, and the Nazis are the Big Bad

PART 8

Out on the street, Xander was pacing and muttering to himself. Upset almost beyond words. He was half a block away from the cafe: close enough to see when Spike and The Preacher left. But far enough away that he could duck so they wouldn’t spot him. His thoughts were entirely on Willow.

“God, she must hate me. She must think I abandoned her. Or that The Preacher and I got into it. Which we did, didn’t we? And I managed to hold my own, didn’t I? Maybe for once talking got me somewhere. Except that somewhere is out here, which is bad. God! I am such a chickenshit.”

It had been half an hour. He felt utterly helpless. He knew what would happen next, and it made his insides go ice cold.

##

That was it. Anxiety finally won out. Willow steadied herself in the mirror, tucked her hair up under her hat, turned to the door and took a deep breath. She swung the door wide and walked out, heading from the dark back part of the café and toward the light. The place was narrow, just a row of booths up against the windows and a long row of chairs along the bar. She had maybe 40 feet between her and the door at the far end. Her eyes flicked to The Preacher. He was sitting in a booth, his back to her. That was good. But just then she locked eyes with his partner. There was the cold glint of recognition in his eyes.

##

Holy mother of god. That’s Red. And she was about to stroll past him casual as could be. Spike’s heart picked up its pace, the inner predator in him responding first. It would be so easy to nab her, and Caleb would be impressed. But he bit back the impulse, his fingers tightening against his coffee mug instead. He wanted to reach out and grab her wrist, give it a good twist, hear her whimper in pain and fear. And yet he himself was feeling fear, too. Such an odd and unexpected feeling. The chat about Xander had been intellectual. Almost philosophical, really. But here was flesh-and-blood prey before him. He felt both savage and protective. How disconcerting.

For her part, Red faltered. She hesitated like a small rabbit. Those green eyes went round and glassy. He’d never seen her up-close like this. She was pretty, all smooth white skin, tender and unblemished—a slim little slip of a thing, hardly bigger than Buffy herself. She blinked at him. Clearly she knew who he was. Right. Xander had spotted Caleb coming and told her to go wait in the back. But then Xander left, and here she still was. She couldn’t hide forever. She had to find her own way out. And walking the gauntlet was it. He had to hand it to her. She was never a coward. He gave her credit for hiding among the Gentiles, seducing the fiancée of an Army officer and befriending traitors like Buffy and Xander. And now for walking straight past the two detectives who could arrest her on any of those accounts and ship her off to a concentration camp in a heartbeat. Unless Caleb was in a twisted mood, in which case she wouldn’t make it that far. Or probably even to the end of the street.

Spike stayed motionless, trying to make his eyes seem impassive. He didn’t want Caleb turning around just now. He flicked Red a spare little smile. He meant it to be encouraging. He didn’t know whether he was successful at it. She still looked scared, but she picked up the rhythm of her steps again, staring Spike straight in the eye as she walked past. He could smell her cologne and feel the brush of her coat, the aisle of the restaurant was so narrow. The contact made his skin tingle. If Caleb knew what he’d just done, he’d be a dead man. Even as he felt Red go, part of him wondered if he shouldn’t do some dramatic double-take and alert the bastard to the chase. He imagined what would happen next, how it would unfold:

The two detectives would bolt from the table. The commotion would spook Red, who’d streak off at full tilt, banging through the glass doors and out into the street. She’d probably turn right and head toward the blocks with the narrow alleyways, hoping to shake them, but they’d be tight on her tail. She’d lose her hat in the chase, red hair flowing out behind her as she ran for her life. And Spike and Caleb would be burning with blood-lust—the desire the job required that you relish your kill. They’d run her down like jackals. And if she managed to make it into an alley, they’d draw their pistols, take steady, practiced aim, and shoot. The bullet would hit her in the middle of the back. She’d stumble, the momentum carrying her a step or two further before she crumpled to the ground. She’d hit hard. Maybe she’d be dead straight away. Or maybe not. They’d jog up to her to find out what their prize was, exactly. One of them would shove a toed boot in her side to see if she cringed. Maybe she’d be struggling, coughing up blood, whimpering, begging for mercy, uttering the word “please” as if clawing desperately at the edge of the abyss. They might let her go on for a bit. The word “please” had such a pleasant ring to it. In a case such as this another bullet would be called for. This one to the brain. It was Spike’s turn to do the honor. They traded off. Then, mission accomplished, they’d amble back out into the daylight at the end of the alley, panting and feeling exhilarated. The killing always made Spike want to fuck something. And that’s when he’d think of Buffy. And that’s wherein the problem with this little death fantasy went awry.

He gripped his coffee mug and listened to the jangle of the door as Red bolted outside. Yet again, he let her slip away.

##

“Will!” Xander shouted as he watched his friend pop through the doors of the diner, looking scared and in a hurry. A sense of relief washed over him suffusing him with warmth.

“Over here!” He caught her attention, and then she was running full-barrel down the sidewalk toward him. She risked a glance over her shoulder—but just one—and then kept running until Xander caught her up in his arms.

“I guess the pie was a bad idea,” he deadpanned, unsure exactly how he even could crack a joke at a moment like this. But she chuckled into his chest, shaking. “No, the pie was a good idea. It’s your coworkers that suck big-time.”

Xander kept his eye on the door, making sure The Preacher didn’t emerge. “He didn’t spot you then?”

“Who? The Preacher? No. But Buffy’s buddy Spike did. Or at least I assume it was Spike. A guy this tall, blue eyes and with a perpetual smirk on his face?”

“Sometimes it’s more of a sneer, but, yes, that would be Spike,” Xander affirmed. “He spotted you and let you go?”

“I swear he knew who I was. He looked straight at me. We recognized each other.”

“So you had a little moment with William the Bloody.”

“I wouldn’t say we were properly introduced, and there were no actual sentences exchanged, but, yes. I think we definitely shared a moment.”

Xander shook his head. “Man, Buffy must really have him whipped. But he’s still evil. Let’s not give him a chance to change his mind, shall we?”

Willow agreed and they both took off at a run for the borrowed car.

##

Ravensbruck was not far from a quaint little town called Furstenburg, about 75 kilometers north of Berlin. A train went there fairly regularly, but Gruber had given Willow a car instead, suggesting that she and her “fiancé” take a few days up there, look around a bit, enjoy the countryside, hoping she’d bring him back a package of stories, talk to locals along the way, and record the stoic and resolved good people of the small towns. He had such romantic notions sometimes. Willow had shyly asked if she could use the car to visit a friend who lived in a in another village on the way home. She asked if she could have an extra couple of days and promised to call him every day to check in and let him know she was safe. Apparently, either she deserved vacation or they had just slipped into a new phase in their relationship in which he could deny her nothing. But then, she knew that was only because he thought she could do no wrong, while in fact everything she did and was about to do…and, in fact, everything about her…was wrong.

Xander grinned at her from the driver’s seat as they bounced along the road to Furstenburg. They were outside the city finally, with the windows rolled down. The day had warmed considerably. It was almost like the dark pall that had seemed to hang in the air dangled merely over Berlin. Here as the landscape sped by were lush greens against dramatic blue skies. For a few moments Willow truly loved being alive…and this time not only because she’d managed to cheat death another day. She was going someplace. On an important mission for the paper and for the resistance. Her best friend was with her, and in two days time, give or take, she’d be reunited with Tara. That alone was enough to put a smile on her face. Memories of her encounter with the detectives at Helmut’s cafe receded into the background further and further with every mile they traveled.

“So this source you mentioned,” Xander was saying, “The one who you plan to give your photos to…How did you find her?”

“She found me. I think she’s a Russian national who’s been living in Germany for a long time. Kind of laying low. They’re not rounding up Russian expats unless the Gestapo thinks they’re sympathizers—or their neighbors think they’re sympathizers. Anyway, this woman is working with the German government in Munich. She was helping me check facts about the university raids there and we got to talking. I told her what I wanted to do…you know, about going up to Ravensbruck and taking photos, and she got excited about it. She wants to join us in Furstenburg. Gruber made hotel arrangements for you and me there—hopefully no honeymoon suite (sorry, sweetie)—and I invited her to stay with us.”

Xander flashed a grin. “You and me and another woman? In a honeymoon suite?”

Willow frowned. “I said no honeymoon suite. At least I hope. That’s all we need—to make a big scandalous scene up there.”

Xander sobered a moment, growing thoughtful. “How do we know we can trust this person?”

Willow shrugged. “We don’t.”

##

The phone rang at the Maclay residence. It broke the silence and jangled Buffy’s nerves. She almost leapt off the couch where she politely sat with a cup of tea and a plate of cookies, chatting with Tara and her cousin Beth. Jesus, it’s quiet out here! She’d never noticed the constant background hum of the big city until she’d been enveloped in the absolute silence of the countryside.

Beth patted her knee and smiled as she rose to go stop the infernal ringing. After Beth left, Tara smiled from her seat across from Buffy. “You make a really great boy,” she whispered, slyly. Buffy just smiled. She’d had a couple of months now to get used to male impersonation. She’d worked out a lot of the mannerisms, and she’d learned not to say a lot, figuring that the more she played a background role the less likely she was to draw really close scrutiny. Tara’s compliment was reassuring. Tara was certainly scrutinizing her closely, and clearly she was passing the test.

“Thanks…I think,” Buffy said. “But you’re looking at me the same way Willow does, and it’s a little unnerving.”

Tara blushed. “Uh, sorry.”

Buffy laughed—not the boyish laugh, but a real Buffy laugh. “No worries. I just wouldn’t want your cousin thinking you have a thing for younger men—as in way younger.”

“I couldn’t agree more. My life is already complicated enough…”

Just then Beth called across the house for Tara. “It’s Riley on the phone,” she announced.

Buffy watched Tara’s smile fade as the woman rose to go take the call. Yes, Buffy thought to herself, Tara’s life was definitely already complicated enough.

##

Spike was rolling a cigarette and daydreaming when Caleb busted into his office with red-flushed cheeks and a wicked grin. Uh-oh. This couldn’t be good. He tipped back in his desk chair and licked the cigarette closed, warily meeting his partner’s eyes with a guarded, “What? Send your mom back to jail or something?”

Caleb frowned at him. “Bastard. No. I have something very interesting on that Harris kid.”

Spike sighed and rolled his eyes, trying to dampen the feeling of dread that gathered in his chest. “Don’t tell me you’re in love with him…One cup of coffee does not a romance make.”

“Fuck you,” Caleb sputtered. Spike liked it when he riled The Preacher. It was like poking a tiger in the ass with a sharp stick.

“It so happens that young Mr. Harris is on a special assignment to escort someone to Ravensbruck.”

Spike eyed him warily still. “The women’s prison?”

“Right.”

Spike shrugged. “We escort folks to prison every day. So what.”

“This wasn’t just putting someone on the one-way train. I hear he’s on a personal escort job. Why wouldn’t he have mentioned it when I saw him at the café earlier today?”

“Maybe he didn’t think it was important.” Spike pointed a finger at Caleb. “Or maybe it’s classified information and he was just doing his job keeping his tongue.”

Caleb seemed to consider this. “Maybe. But I just think there’s something more to this.”

Inwardly, Spike agreed. They’d both been at this job long enough to know to pay attention to the small things—the little things that just didn’t add up quite right. It was quitting time. He wanted to make sure that Caleb didn’t start his investigation tonight. He took a deep breath, preparing to do something he really didn’t want to do.

“Come on, pal. The day’s over. We’ll pick back up on Harris’s trail tomorrow. Let’s go grab a beer and chat up some ladies over at the Officers Club.”

Caleb looked a little disappointed, like he didn’t want his momentum to stall.

“Come on. Tell me you do like the ladies,” Spike poked.

They lived in dangerous times when anyone could send another person off to the concentration camps upon the flimsiest of pretenses. Caleb was smart. He accepted the invitation.

##

The room at the inn was no honeymoon suite, but it was comfortable enough. One large bed, a couple of chairs and a beautiful view of the countryside. The air out here smelled fresh, and Willow opened the window to breathe it in while Xander carried their luggage upstairs. The proprietor had given them the name of a restaurant in town when they’d inquired about good eateries, and, fortunately, it was the place they’d agreed to meet Willow’s contact from Munich.

Now the two of them were sitting quietly at a small table ordering drinks and waiting. A handful of locals shared the place with them, dressed in simple clothes. Willow stood out a bit in her more stylish city dress. She’d let Buffy help her shop recently. All the shopkeepers thought “Bert” was a darling for putting up with Auntie Wilma’s trying on of various dresses and outfits. But the outing was actually a vicarious thrill for Buffy, whose wardrobe had essentially been reduced to men’s pants, shirts and sweaters in varying shades of gray-green and gray-blue. Fortunately, she looked good in those colors. And, even more fortunately for Willow, Buffy had really been jonesing for some style. Hence, Willow looked every bit the romantic part of the urban woman reporter in a flowing red-print dress. Xander had on his uniform, since ostensibly he was still on official business. Clearly being so close to Ravensbruck meant that the townies here were not unfamiliar with men in uniform. So it was Willow who stuck out. So much for blending in and not causing a scene. Even now Willow and Xander could pick up the surreptitious glances from the locals and the restaurant staff.

But if they were worrying, they shouldn’t have because the scene was about to become much more colorful. There was a rattle as the door swung open wide to reveal an attractive blonde woman in a figure-hugging white wool coat trimmed in some kind of fluffy white fur. She strode in with her chin held high and swept her gaze around the place until she spotted Willow. She made a swift beeline straight for their table. Willow and Xander scraped their chairs in their haste to politely receive their dinner companion who was extending her hand in greeting.

“You’re the only person in this whole room who remotely looks like she’s seen a city in recent history, let alone a hairbrush. Wilma Hermann, right?”

Willow had half a mind to deny it, though she nodded and shook hands.

“The red hair kind of gives it away,” the blonde chuckled. “You’re just the way I imagined you over the phone. Only prettier.”

“Uh, I guess you’re not exactly what I was expecting, either…You know…phones…They leave things out, or something like that,” Willow smiled. In fact, Willow was expecting someone older and, frankly, a bit more pinched. Yet here was someone young and beautiful who had the directness of an old lady and tended to talk as if she were hard of hearing. Or thought everyone else was. Or didn’t care.

She turned to Xander and extended her hand. “I’m Anya.”

Xander was dumbstruck. He shook her hand and introduced himself and then helped seat the ladies. “Well, with you two ladies as my dinner companions, I certainly am the luckiest man in this fine establishment tonight,” he said smugly.

“So why are you here, again?” Anya asked him.

“I guess you could say I’m Miss Hermann’s escort,” Xander suavely replied.

“He’s here to make sure the folks at the concentration camp don’t try to keep me,” Willow translated.

A beat and then Anya said: “You know that’s not funny, right?”

“Of course it’s not funny,” Xander said heavily. “It’s just—Well, it never hurts to step back and appreciate life’s little absurdities now and then.”

“I don’t get your absurdity,” Anya frowned. “I’m foreign.”

Xander looked helplessly to Willow.

“Why are you here, Anya?” Willow asked, gently deflecting Anya’s own question back at her.

“Why?” Anya repeated, staring at Willow.

“Yeah, I mean, I know what we agreed to on the phone and all…about the story. It’s just that I don’t know why. As in why travel all the way here and meet me?”

Anya regarded her coolly a moment and then with a stiff nod spoke. “I’d rather not say.”

Xander leaned forward again. “That’s not playing fair with the non-answer. We’re sticking our necks out trusting you here. Help us out with a little get-to-know-you.”

“Generally speaking, I think that’s highly unwise,” Anya insisted. She turned to Willow. “I mean, I’m sure there are plenty of things you’d rather people didn’t know about you, right?”

Willow felt a blush rise up in her cheeks and nodded. “Maybe a couple of things. I guess.” In a moment, she understood Anya’s shrewdness. A Russian expat had to be extremely guarded. Perhaps even more so than Willow, who could at least pass as a Good German. One look at Anya and you sorta knew she wasn’t from around here. Or anywhere remotely near here. With this new perspective Willow smiled. “It’s ok, Anya. I get it. Let’s not leave an information trail a mile wide, here.”

“Exactly. I’m perfectly fine eating in silence.”

Xander shook the cobwebs from his head. “Well, I’m not! I’m sure we can find enough ‘safe’ things to talk about to fill an hour or so of polite dinner conversation.”

Anya regarded him with some doubt. “Ok, then. You start. Tell me something about yourself.”

Xander was flustered at this. He clearly had to stop and think. Willow smiled, truly wondering what he’d say.

“Ok,” he sputtered. “Fine. How’s this: I’m 22. I grew up in Berlin and I’m unmarried.”

Anya nodded. “I see. Well, it seems like you and Wilma are very good friends, and I gathered from our introductions that she’s unmarried as well. Why haven’t you married her?”

Xander stopped. Willow looked at him. “Yes, sweetie. I’d like to hear the answer to that one, too,” she jabbed.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” he scowled. “Let me think of something else.”

Anya turned to Willow. “And I see you’re wearing a ring. Is that an engagement ring? And if so, why are you traveling with Xander and not your fiancé?”

Willow felt the blush creep up again and grinned. She couldn’t help admiring the ruthless way Anya’s mind worked. This might be a fascinating dinner, after all. “Ah, let’s skip that one, too.”

Anya’s brow furrowed. She was getting into this. “Try another one,” she waved.

Willow thought hard. What could she say about herself that wouldn’t potentially draw Tara or Buffy into the conversation? She realized the only way to converse with Anya was to be completely truthful. And therein lay the danger and the lesson.

Xander was understanding as well. “What are you? Gestapo? You’d make a great interrogator.”

“You have firsthand knowledge? Your uniform suggests you might work for the Gestapo, but then perhaps your knowledge comes from being questioned yourself.”

Or both, Willow thought, smiling ruefully, as Xander again pled the Fifth. “I’d rather not get into it too much. Though, yes, I do work with the SS in their civilian investigations department.”

Anya stiffened. “Shit. This is a trap?”

Xander looked around the room, confused. “I- I don’t think so. Will, do you see anything?”

Willow chimed in. “Believe me. This is no trap, unless you’re some kind of double-agent. Xander and I are harmless.”

“I am not a double-agent. I am not an interrogator. And I don’t believe that anyone is harmless. Just by being here you’re doubtless putting people in harm’s way. You and I are not innocent. Maybe some of these bumpkins who live in this backwater are harmless. But you and I are powerful. We have access to people and information that could help…or hurt, as the case may be.”

She looked first at Xander and then at Willow. “And clearly we all have our backstories that are a little too prickly to go into. Probably because we’re protecting others as much as ourselves. So, no, I don’t believe that any of us is harmless.”

She paused and regarded Willow closely again. “And yet, you must certainly know this. You must know that you have to be extremely careful what you say these days. And who you say it to.”

“Yes. Definitely. The less said the easier,” Willow agreed.

“And yet you don’t seem very careful. You wanted to talk, to ‘chit-chat’ and get to know one another.”

Willow considered this a moment before answering. “I guess it’s because I want to live my life the way I did before the war. I want to be a regular person, with a regular life with people I care about. I refuse to just roll over and give in to fear and intimidation. I’m doing what I’m doing because I have to. It’s who I am. It’s who I want to be. I’ve found people I trust. People I trust my life to, because that’s what’s required to even have a life. And they trust me to do the same. Yeah, there’s more risk, but there’s more of everything else, too.”

“So you’re wanted by the SS,” Anya said evenly. There was no hint of judgment, just a statement of fact.

Willow sighed deeply. “I was really trying to make a point.”

“I understood your point. And you’ve just described my existence to a ‘t.’ That’s why I said you must be wanted by the SS…I’m right, aren’t I?” When Willow refused to answer, Anya smiled gently. “It’s ok. I think we understand each other just fine.”

##

Xander was in Hell.

That is, if Hell were a cozy room in a cottage inn shared with two beautiful women, one of whom was his lesbian childhood chum and the other a psychotic. He’d just stepped out of the small bathroom down the hall to find Willow dressed in the pajamas Xander had packed for himself, and Anya was wearing something he’d only ever seen in pinup-girl pictures. She still had her high heels on. The two women were squabbling over the bed. Xander blushed furiously, stopping flat. “Ah. Please. If there’s going to be a pillow-fight, do you mind if I watch?”

Willow and Anya both turned to him, obviously interrupted mid-squabble. “What,” they said in near unison. A question that begged him to restate his reason for existence rather than repeat the bit about the pillow fight.

“Heh. Pillows. Pajamas. Go together like…like…” Xander mumbled, trying to rally. Didn’t work. He turned on his heels and headed back to the bathroom, where he intended to sleep in the bathtub.

##

Buffy knew it was unseemly to be knocking upon a woman’s bedroom door, so she rapped softly. After the phone call with Riley, Tara had unceremoniously disappeared upstairs and sequestered herself away in her room. Buffy had been left on her own to have dinner with Beth and the four boys. Which had been an interesting experience.

Beth was a nice enough person. Pretty, though not as lovely as Tara. And a little uptight, perhaps, for being someone so young. She was maybe 19 or 20 and saddled with holding down a whole household and small farm on her own. She had help from Tara’s brother’s boys. But the eldest of them was only 11, so their help was limited. Really, it was like Beth was a stand-in for Donald’s deceased wife, and she apparently found purpose in fulfilling the role.

And she’d been a delightful hostess, clearly taken with “Bert.” Such a well-spoken and thoughtful 14-year-old. Of course, Beth didn’t know this 14-year-old inhabited the body of a 20-year-old. Buffy did her best to be charming and interested. And she deflected as best she could questions about the Hitler Youth, training and other military-stuff. She’d studied up on it, since she knew her disguise required some working knowledge, but she hated making herself vulnerable by potentially saying too much. It was a bit tough with the boys peppering her with questions about the kinds of things the Hitler Youth do—like did she get to shoot guns, or learn how to operate intelligence equipment? Had she ever turned in a Jew? Had she ever been in a fist-fight? What was her rank? It was a bit dizzying and a little disturbing, but they were boys and their questions weren’t out-of-line.

When it was time for bed, Beth had ruffled “Bert’s” hair affectionately and showed Buffy to her room (fortunately there was a guestroom, so Buffy wasn’t forced to bunk with the kids). She watched closely to see which rooms belonged to Beth and the boys and then surmised that the other one was Tara’s. She waited until the house quieted down for the night and then crept down the hall to Tara.

She knew she could just wait until morning…maybe draw Tara out for a walk on the property to talk. But the light was on in Tara’s room, and Buffy wasn’t sleepy, so she decided to at least say good-night.

After a soft rap at the door, Buffy could hear Tara moving in the room, and then the door opened a bit. Tara’s eyes were red-rimmed. It was clear she’d been crying.

“Hey,” Buffy whispered. “Thought you might like someone to talk to…You know, someone who maybe understands?”

Tara looked bone tired for a moment, but then nodded and opened the door to Buffy.

“We have to be, um, really quiet,” Tara whispered.

“I understand completely,” Buffy chuckled.

Tara’s room was simply-appointed. There was a small brass double-bed with a white bedspread, a couple of stiff wooden chairs and a bureau with a mirror. On one wall was a framed photograph of Hitler. On another wall, there was Jesus. And that was about it. On the bureau Buffy noticed that Tara had out a pen and paper.

“I- I was writing a letter,” Tara explained, noting the object of Buffy’s gaze.

“I’m sorry to interrupt you…but I thought, you know, the whole Riley phone call…and then you retreating up here. I thought maybe something bad had happened. Tough phone call?”

Tara sat on one of the chairs and put her head in her hands. “One of the toughest. Seems like I’ve had too many of those lately.”

Buffy took the other chair and rubbed Tara’s shoulder encouragingly. “What happened?”

“I- I told him that I didn’t think I could marry him…that I have feelings for someone else. He’d wanted to come down here to visit after he met with Willow at Ravensbruck. He- he thought they could both come down and spend some time here on the farm. But I just couldn’t do it. I just can’t have them both here. It was way past time to say something—or do something. I’m not being fair to either of them…”

Buffy continued to rub small circles on Tara’s shoulders. “But it’s confusing…” she nodded.

“Yeah. And it shouldn’t be. I should marry him. It’s more than time enough to be married and having a family. He’s a wonderful person…”

“But you’re not in love with him.”

“No.”

“And Willow?”

Tara sighed heavily, meeting Buffy’s gaze finally. “I can’t get her out of my head. I can’t stand being away from her and yet I’m scared to be with her.”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah. The fear part is not unreasonable. The Jewish thing, the woman thing…” She looked around the room. “But you and Beth are here, living together and people probably don’t give it a second thought.”

“We’re family. And the neighbors expect that we’ll find nice men and marry them, eventually. Beth’s young.”

“And Willow’s charming. And bright. And ambitious. If anyone could win over the neighbors and make them love her, it’s Willow.”

Tara nodded. “I’m less worried about Willow—I mean I am worried about Willow. I’m always worried about Willow—but when it comes to being together I’m worried about me. That some part of me will feel self-conscious and scared. She doesn’t deserve that. I’m afraid I’ll be too weak.”

Buffy gestured around the room. “What’s weak about you? You’re the person who stepped up and loved our girl when you didn’t have to. You’ve stuck by her even after you found out she’s a Jew. And after being embarrassingly interviewed by the Gestapo…”

“Humiliatingly,” Tara corrected.

“Right. And they followed you around. You marched into SS headquarters. You stood up to your brother. You’ve come out here to hold down the fort with your cousin. You accepted Xander and me even after you learned that we’re kind of dangerous to be around, too. And you just broke up with your fiancé. I don’t see any weakness in you at all. And if you think Willow or Xander or I are never scared, then please know right now that’s not true. I’ve hid in sewers. I ran away from home. Hell, I’ve gone back to grade school. And changed genders. I’m scared all the time. And Willow puts up a great front but she’s scared, too.”

“I don’t want to be another thing that scares her or puts her at even greater risk.”

Buffy chuckled. “Tara, I think I can safely say you are the one thing that’s holding her all together. You’re the one thing she’s not scared about. You’re this shining thing she holds onto—you represent what life could be like after the war. Xander and I are her family. But you’re her strength.” She looked closely at Tara. “And I think she’s yours, too.”

Tara thought about this for a moment, her throat feeling tight. And then smiled. “She’s so strong already.”

“Yeah, she is strong. But stuff always comes along to weigh her down. The notion of marriage is a partnership, where two people support each other. Ok, so you two might not have white gowns in your future, but between the two of you I think you’ve got enough strength to do anything.”

“You love her,” Tara said.

“Yeah, I do. For the same reasons you do,” Buffy smiled, then amended: “Just not in a gay way.”

Tara laughed. “Yeah. I don’t know what that’s about. I’ve never felt that way about another woman.” She stopped a moment. “In fact, I’ve never felt that way about anyone, period.”

“The world’s tough right now. But it can’t always be. Times change. All I know is that if you hang in there, Willow is worth it. And I know she’ll hang in there for you.”

##

The appointment with Riley was set for 9 a.m. sharp. Ravensbruck was another 15 kilometers from Furstenberg. As Xander drove, he rubbed tired eyes and wished for more coffee. Willow sat quietly beside him, facing forward, her face set in deep concentration. Anya was back at the inn. They’d agreed to catch up with her after Willow finished her meetings today. The camera case lay between them on the seat.

“Not looking forward to seeing Tara’s soldier-boy?”

Willow shot him an angry look. “He’s not her…her boy-toy, or whatever.”

“Fine. Her fiancé. You gotta be a little weirded out to see him. I mean when was the last time you saw him?”

“I prefer to think of him as more of an abstraction than as an actual person,” Willow lightly quipped. But Xander knew that tone.

“Fine,” Xander smirked, though not unkindly. He patted her hand where it lay on the seat between them and kept his eyes on the road. The Riley thing was just a distraction. He knew she was scared about much more than that.

##

The road to Ravensbruck was lovely. The place lay at the edge of a beautiful blue lake. On one side of the lake, lay the lovely Medieval town of Furstenburg. On the other, this. So much beauty for a place that hung so heavy with hardship. As they approached, Willow felt the heaviness turn to dread and tighten around her heart. There was tall stone fencing with electrified razor wire. Ahead was a guard station.

Xander was a soldier. But these soldiers, of course, were far different: helmeted, bearing heavy rifles over their shoulders, and stern-faced. At the gates before them was a truck that appeared to be carrying a large number of women, all dressed in street clothes, looking strangely out of place in a military truck. They were coming to this place new, just like Willow was. Only Willow held a credential that gave her the amazing fortune to merely visit here today. She strained her gaze through the windshield to try to catch the faces of the women visible at the end of the truck—as if she wanted to remember them free, to take that memory with her so that when their neighbors had long forgotten them (or conveniently chosen to forget about them), that Willow would not. She caught the eye of a young woman, blond, barely more than a teenager. She could have been Buffy’s sister. The girl stared back at her warily a moment and then turned away. After another moment, the gate swung open and the truck drove through delivering its passengers to their destination. The gate was shut again, and two rifled guards resumed their post before it.

Willow leaned far back in her seat as if her body were magnetically repelled by the place. Xander rubbed her hand again, and she was grateful to have him here. He was her tether to reality.

“Don’t let go,” she whispered.

“Just let me get us past the guard,” he gently replied. And then their car came to a stop at the small station house. A helmeted soldier leaned down to the car window, which Xander quickly unrolled.

“I have Wilma Hermann from The People’s Press here to meet with Captain Riley Finn. He should be expecting her for a 9 a.m. appointment.”

The guard wordlessly checked his wristwatch and then consulted a clipboard. “Your papers, please.”

Willow handed Xander hers and watched him hand them to the guard. It was the first time in the war that she’d been asked for papers, and, thankfully, she had them. She smiled at Xander, who nodded a silent “you’re welcome.” The soldier leaned down so he could match Willow’s face to her picture I.D. Without comment, he rose and handed the papers back to Xander.

“My instructions are to take Miss Hermann inside, but I’m afraid you’ll need to stay out here.”

Willow’s heart started to pound. Xander leaned out of the window. “I was instructed to escort Miss Hermann on her mission here. My understanding of the assignment is that I go wherever she goes. She’s in my charge, and her editor will give me Hell if I don’t follow his instructions.”

The soldier shook his head. “Just Miss Hermann. Those are my orders.”

Xander turned unhappily to Willow. “I’m sorry, Wilma. I’ll be back here at the gate at 5 waiting for you. If you need me sooner, call the inn. I can be back here in 10 minutes.”

“It’s ok. I’ll be ok. I’ll call you.” Willow was shaken by the change in plans. She’d really counted on having Xander with her. She composed herself quickly and grabbed her camera, giving her friend a quick grin. “Wish me luck.”

“You’ve got plenty of that, my dear,” he chuckled as she climbed out of the car. She stood watching as he turned the car around and headed back down the country road toward town. She watched until he disappeared from sight and then a bit longer as she comprehended the fact that she was on her own and about to enter prison. In the meantime, the soldiers had pulled up their own car and gestured for her to get in.

“Welcome to Ravensbruck, Miss Hermann,” the soldier said as he drove her through gates that closed firmly behind them. A chill ran down her spine.

Inside she got her first glimpse of the place. Far back from the drive sat rows of low-slung, white-washed barracks. The compound was devoid of trees. The sun reflected from the pale, stark walls, making Willow squint.

What the hell was she doing here?

##

More to come in Part 9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:20 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Hello June :)

This update is as hopeful as scary. Lol

I mean the Tara breaking with riley up part is hopeful you know? But the Preacher and Spike going on Xander's tail, and the Willow has to go alone in the camp parts are scaring.

Anya was lovely :)

The update was very nice.

Thanks

Friendly,

Julia

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:42 am 
10. Troll Hammer

gah. i didn't even realize that this was update eight. that means there are at least two more to this tale. i can't help wondering what will befall Willow. or maybe you'll pull out something completely different and let them go by relatively unscathed. this is the kitten after all, so i know it has to end well. but i were reading this anywhere else, i would really have my doubts.
*wipes sweat off brow* i really hope Will can hold herself through this Ravensbruck thing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 am 
9. Gay Now

Gah.

The tension is building! What is Willow doing courting danger like this? Why are they refusing to let Xander in?! Does Riley suspect?! If the SS already interviewed Tara and Donny and Riley met 'Wilma' before and now knows 'Wilma' is coming to visit, does that mean he knows all about Wilma/Willow?

I have a strong aversion to concentration camps, can Willow go soon? Please?

Eeeep!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:01 am 
5. Willowhand

What is she doing there is right! And has she remembered to take off the bleedin' ring? I don’t know if I missed that somewhere but if she hasn’t, Riley is sure to recognise it, (isn't he?) and that stresses me out!!!

Poor Riley: wanting to visit Tara with Willow. Oh the tragic irony for the poor lad!

Your characterisation of Anya was perfect. I especially liked this line:
Quote:
...tended to talk as if she were hard of hearing. Or thought everyone else was. Or didn’t care.

Thank you for this stress-filled update and apparently there is more angst to come. The things Willow is going to see will change her soul forever.

I am going to go on record right now as saying I would be very happy to read a sequel. You have a wonderful grasp of the characters, you have made them all utterly charming, and the setting provides an excellent backdrop for compelling storytelling.

Last edited by masterjendu on Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:08 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Another awesome update!

I love seeing Willow's backbone; I was so worried when she got stuck in the bathroom, but count on Willow to do the brave thing. Especially as Xander is told to shove off when they get to Ravensbruck. I mean, she couldn't very well turn back, that would look suspicious, right? But to go forward without her escort into a concentration camp? That takes guts.

I also loved seeing Anya. Fabulous, and she sounds just like she would in the show. Piercingly insightful and a little glib.

Buffy's conversation with Tara was lovely. Just the injection of hope Tara needed in a life gone awry.

Keep up the great updates, June!

Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:11 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

delurking now to throw in my two cents.

this story is positively riveting. the storyline sucked me in right from the beginning. and i love how you've stayed true to the traditional characterizations of the gang...you really have the banter down.

i'm a little scared for willow right now...walking into the lion's den and all. i have faith that everything's gonna work out in the end, but yeeesh.

and anya is a russian national living in a fascist society. that's just glorious. the nazi's don't stand a chance. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:19 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Once again, the tension here is agonizingly high. Loved Willow's escape from the bathroom and the guts it took, coming face to face with Spike. I'm so glad he chose to let her go.

I was thrilled to finally see Tara break it off with Riley, even though it had to be hard for her. She's still torn between doing what is considered the"right" thing for a woman of her time, and doing what her heart tells her, even if it puts them all in danger. I think she knows her love for Willow is worth it.

Now Willow finds herself "trapped" again in a way. So scary to have to go in that terrible place all alone. I hope she took the ring off too, especially now that Tara broke up with Riley, it would raise some serious questions and put her in even more danger. I'm on the edge of my seat here.

More soon please!

P.S. A big definite YES to a sequel.

Wimpy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:22 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Oh my, the angst and the thrill...

I'm hooked on this story, very well made, with the Scoobies in the center, but not with the magic (spells, at least) that comes with Willow and Tara and the rest of them. This is very realistic, seeing as not even the inner circle is invulnerable (Giles and Faith surprised me). Now, they're five at risk, Buffy, Willow, Xander, Anya, and let's not forget Tara.

Someone made a great point about Willow being in danger, going in alone, with the Preacher and Spike on their way.

I hope Riley won't be a problem to her and Willow. Maybe he will be interested in "Bert"? ;-) (though I hope he don't get "him".)

Great story.
(Caleb is THE villain, and I dislike him, so I'm both glad and sad that he's around to cause trouble).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:53 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Hi kittens,

Thank you so much for comments on Part 8. Two to go...

Julia, I'm glad you liked Anya and are worried about Willow going into the concentration camp.

Zooeys_Bridge: The fits about to hit the shan, indeed.

db: So right. All the pieces are starting to come together. And not in a good way! It's hard to know who knows what. And our Scoobies are all split up again.

Masterjendu: I think you're smarter than Willow. And, yes, you have to feel bad for Riley. He's definitely gotten the short end of the deal and doesn't even know it. Glad you liked Anya. I've always enjoyed how she's so sensible and direct. It's kind of a reminder to Xander and Willow that they've got to be cautious. Still, Anya's willing to go out on a limb with Willow, so you gotta love her for that. She's not just in it for herself. Thanks for the vote on the sequel. I'm already doing more homework...

Tara the Phoenix: Thanks so much for reading...I loved the scene where Willow and Spike "share a moment." It's the only time they've actually been in a scene together, despite the fact they're both so central to all the movement within the story. Suddenly, for just a moment, they become real to each other.

Willowphile: Thanks so much for delurking. I'm so glad you popped in to comment...and that you feel like I've got the characterizations and "bantering" down. The dialog of BTVS is so much of what was great about the show, and I really worked hard to try to capture the feeling of it.

Wimpy: Glad you liked Willow's brave escape...and so right, here she is trapped again. If that girl has nine lives, how many has she left now?

Darkness: Thanks so much for commenting. Yeah. Everybody's in some sort of danger. And though Caleb is an awesome villain, there's so much room for anyone to suddenly do a cowardly thing and screw things up for everyone....

Which brings us to PART 9!

Thanks so much for sharing this with me...

June

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:02 pm 
Hello June! I still reading it, slowly, as I said, but I love it. I didnt get to finish to read all the chapters, but now is weekend so i hope to read more :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:08 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Night of Broken Glass--PART 9A

by Junecleavage

It's Berlin 1943, and the Nazis are the Big Bad

PART 9

“Wilma, it’s good to see you again.”

Riley Finn was fresh-scrubbed as ever and grinning. Willow tried to ignore the haunted look that encircled him. At least he looked healthy. She shook his hand.

“Have you seen Tara lately?” he asked her, casually, as he fetched her a cup of coffee.

Willow shook her head. “Not since she left Berlin.” She wasn’t sure how much Tara or her brother might have said about why Tara left Berlin, so she kept her answer simple. “You?”

She watched his jaw muscle tighten, but he turned to her with a smile anyway. “A month ago. Out at her family’s farm. She was good,” he said offhandedly.

Willow could not believe how jealous she felt. Tara hadn’t mentioned in her letters or on the phone that Riley had visited her. Did they sleep together? Was that why she hid the fact from Willow? She felt her cheeks flush and then noticed Riley’s were flushing, too.

“I’d suggested to Tara that you and I join her after you’re done with your interviews here. You know, just take an extra day or two…But…”

Willow reddened and cut him off. Visiting Tara with Riley there was the last thing she wanted to do. “No,” she blurted and then realized she’d sounded like an ass. “I mean, I promised my editor I’d get back to Berlin right away. And Xander has to get back, too.”

“Xander?” Riley asked with a big grin. “He came with you? But of course he would. I should have noticed the ring.”

Willow looked self-consciously at the ring on her hand and found herself twisting it nervously. She didn’t know what to say. “Uh. Yeah. A lot of things have changed.” The words sounded lame even to her own ears, but Riley seemed to nod, thoughtfully. His jaw tightened again, and then he raised a coffee cup to her.

“Well. Where shall we begin? It’s not everyday the Party newspaper sends a reporter to visit us.”

Willow snapped into full Wilma Hermann mode. “I’m writing a piece to give the Germans faith and reassurance in the humaneness of the military’s treatment of prisoners.”

Riley just about spit his coffee across the desk at her. He laughed. Until he noticed Willow wasn’t laughing with him. “Sorry,” he said. “It’s just that you’re going to need to do some serious creative writing to make that story work. I don’t mean to sound jaded.” A beat, and then: “Ok, I am jaded. But this is a prison. It’s not a summer camp.”

Willow frowned. “I’m not expecting a summer camp. No one is. It’s just that word is getting around that there are hundreds of thousands of prisoners scattered in the concentration camps. The people need a piece that will lessen their guilt and anxiety. I don’t care what you show me. But that’s the piece I intend to write for The People’s Press.”

He regarded her carefully. “I knew when I met you that you were a Good German. I think we’re very lucky to have you working for the newspaper. And thank you for selecting me as your interview subject.”

She couldn’t help but smile at his sincere enthusiasm. “It’s pretty intimidating coming someplace like this. I could only do it if I had someone I knew as my guide.”

“I’m more than happy to help.” He took another sip of coffee. “But I’m afraid you’re going to see some things that are upsetting. I can help you make sense of them if you’d like. Maybe together we can craft your story.”

Willow nodded. It felt like she should bridle at such a suggestion of censorship. But then she worked for a propaganda newspaper anyway. Of course she’d play along. “Great. Where do we start?”

##

They started at the beginning. With a brief tutorial on the history and situation analysis of the camp. Riley was candid because he knew Willow’s story would end up positive no matter what he said. “Ravensbruck was built to hold 5,000 prisoners. Right now we have about 40,000, give or take.”

Willow tried to hide her shock. “That’s got to be quite a burden. How do you manage?”

“It’s not comfortable in the barracks. And we have a problem with illnesses running rampant from time to time. But we’ve beefed up the staffing here. I was brought on two months ago to help manage things. I’ve added 20 staff since then, but it’s hard to keep up. We’ve just added another 10,000 prisoners. They just keep coming. It looks like we may be getting another 10,000 in the next two weeks.”

“From Poland?” Willow asked.

“About half the women here are from Poland. Another quarter or so are Germans and the other quarter are Russians.”

He pulled out a stack of colored fabric patches and placed them on the desk before her. “This is our system for keeping the ladies organized. They can find people like themselves, and we know a bit about who we’re dealing with.”

“Tell me,” Willow asked. She pulled out her camera and shot a couple of photos of Riley showing her the various patches.

“The letters signify what country they come from. Red triangles are for political prisoners. Green is for common criminals. Yellow triangles are for Jews. Black triangles are for asocials—Gypsies, prostitutes, homosexuals…”

Willow blanched at that. If she were imprisoned here, she’d be marked twice. Or maybe even three times. And with a wince, she realized that Tara could be imprisoned here as a black-triangle-wearing “asocial,” too. Here was yet another way she put Tara at risk. Anya was right last night: Willow was far from harmless.

“A lot of the Jews here are being shipped out to Poland, to Auschwitz. The government wants Germany to be rid of the Jews, and I guess that goes for the ones in prison here, too.”

The whisperings around the newsroom were that Auschwitz was one of the Reich’s “death camps”—set up to dispose of prisoners as their numbers grow too quickly to manage. Riley seemed to confirm that fact in his next statement:

“Auschwitz is a pretty terrible place. There are so many people there. Too many to take care of. I wouldn’t wish that place on anyone. Regardless of who they are or what they’ve done.”

“Who are the women who are here, really? I- I saw a transport truck carrying women here today. They- they looked so young. How could they even be political enemies?”

Riley eyed her carefully. “Kind of gets at you, doesn’t it? The unfairness.”

Willow couldn’t help but nod.

He exhaled heavily. “I don’t know why they were arrested. We don’t get a lot of information. And our orders are simply to keep them here. But I wonder things like that myself sometimes. I mean, how could I not?”

And with that, Willow saw the haunted look settle about him again.

“I was happy to come here because I thought it meant that I wouldn’t have to continue to see the terrible things I’d seen on the Russian Front. But now I’ve come to think that the things I see here are even worse.”

“How do you do it?” Willow asked, her voice a choked whisper.

He smiled tightly. “You have to depersonalize your job. People have numbers instead of names. You don’t get to know any of them. They’re inventory.” He shrugged. “And you drink a lot. It helps.”

Willow didn’t think there was enough vodka in all of Poland to help enough.

##

The camp was a chilling place, on one hand comprising so many of the mundane details of regular life—and then on the other feeling entirely alien. As they rounded the barracks on Willow’s photo tour, she got her first glimpse of prisoners at work. A crew of about 250 uniformed women were digging long trenches at a distance of about 50 meters from where Willow and Riley stood.

“What are they doing?” Willow asked, certain she probably knew the grotesque answer, but she asked anyway. She lifted her camera to her eye, focused and snapped some shots.

Riley shuffled his feet in the grass. “Drainage ditches,” he said. When Willow met his eyes in suspicion, he nodded at her notebook. “That’s what I said. Write it down.” Willow took her pen and jotted down the silly words.

She decided to let that pass. “So you said there are about 40,000 women here? What tasks have you got others doing?”

Riley took her to a machine shop. They stepped inside from the glaring sun and cool breeze to a large, dark hangar of building that was hot, stuffy and loud with the whirring of hand machines.

“They’re making components for V-1 and V-2 rockets. The Seimens Corporation pays us for the work.”

Willow jotted down the details in her notebook, taking care to get the spelling right and asking Riley to explain what a V-1 and V-2 rocket were. All the while, her eyes were scanning the shop floor, watching the unsmiling women who were bent to their tasks at their hot little machines. Only one or two at the front of the room even noticed her there. A wave of self-consciousness washed over her. She lifted her camera and snapped a couple of shots here. And then lifted her eyes to let Riley know she was ready to move on.

They went on about this for the rest of the morning, stopping here or there on their tour, so that Willow could make notes and snap photographs. There was a building set apart from the others that Riley referred to as “the bunker,” where troublesome prisoners were taken for solitary confinement. The building had an area where the camp’s doctor practiced.

She also had asked about a smaller building that was emitting a thick smoke. “The crematorium,” Riley had explained, again scuffing at the grass. There were a large company of women with red stars who were dragging barrelfuls of ashes from the back of the crematorium through a gate and down to the lake, where they deposited them without ceremony. Willow watched silently. There was no need to press Riley to explain this. Her heart felt heavy and cold with the knowledge that if the detectives ever captured her, she would end up here—and the end of the road might very well lead to the front door of this otherwise unremarkable building. But she imagined that for Riley this knowledge was far worse: The fact that he was personally responsible for what went on here clearly gnawed at him. In his eyes, she knew he cared. It mattered to him. She wondered if four or five months from now it still would, once he’d become numb to it all…but for now, while he was still new, this was terrible to him.

“I don’t know how you’re going to write about this,” was all he could say. For her part, Willow couldn’t say anything. She quietly took a few more photographs.

##

Willow and Riley ate lunch on the steps outside the administration building, in the sunshine. It would have been lovely except for the fact that they were in a concentration camp. Which was a very stupid-sounding sentence, even in Willow’s own mind. She shook her head and set down her sandwich in favor of the cup of coffee. The two of them had been quiet for a few minutes. Willow needed a rest from information overload. And Riley had become broody. He was gazing at her hand. Or, more specifically, at Tara’s ring, which was on her finger, which was attached to her hand. It was an unusual ring, not so much flashy, but with a distinctive bit of Victorian scrollwork along the silver band. Willow knew that being familiar with it now, she would recognize it anywhere. And realized that Riley could say the same thing. And he did.

“That’s Tara’s ring,” he said finally.

Willow thought back to Anya again and the lesson she’d learned about sticking to the truth being the best course of action. “Yes,” she said lightly. And then she wondered how many other details about Tara he had memorized away. And whether they were exactly the same ones she had memorized herself. She looked at him out of the corner of her eye. She and Riley were so different. He was tall and strong and kind, an Aryan masterpiece, just like Tara was. In fact, she and Riley made a perfect matched set. Willow was just some screwball.

“It’s Xander, isn’t it?” Riley inquired softly. More a demand than a question, really.

It caught Willow flat-footed. “What about Xander?”

“Is he the reason she won’t marry me?” Riley sounded like a small boy. Willow was shocked at his vulnerability. And equally shocked to learn Tara had apparently had a Big Conversation with Riley that she hadn’t known about.

“Tara’s not marrying you?” Willow asked. “I- I didn’t know.”

“I talked to her last night. She broke it off. Said she had feelings for someone else. I’m assuming since you all had been hanging out together in Berlin that Xander’s the reason. I mean, he’s not marrying you.” Riley nodded at the ring. True enough. The ring was not Xander’s and Willow was not his fiancé.

“I assure you that there’s nothing going on between Tara and Xander.”

“You would know?”

“I absolutely would know. And he’s not.”

“Everyone has secrets. You can never know everything.”

Willow thought about the fact she hadn’t known about Riley’s visit to Tara’s farm. Willow knew that she herself had been secretive in the past with Tara to nearly disastrous results. But this bit of news had hit Willow’s jealousy buttons. She hadn’t realized until then how much she hated the idea of Tara being with anyone else. And how much a small omission could sting.

“I know Xander, and there is nothing going on between Tara and him,” Willow said emphatically.

Riley frowned. “So. Is Xander traveling with you?”

“Yes,” she replied.

“And I bet you were headed out to Tara’s farm until I mentioned this morning that I’d been planning to go.”

Willow squirmed. God! He was so right and so wrong about all of this.

He’d caught her awkwardness. “Don’t lie to me about this,” he said a bit harshly. In his place, she would have been just as anguished.

“We’re headed back to Berlin,” she restated. “When you suggested this morning that we might all go to visit Tara, I really thought it was too much. I felt it would be better for you to just go and see her yourself. We’d be in the way.” All of this was true.

“It’s got to be Xander. Who else has she been spending time with?” Riley mused aloud in frustration. “She won’t tell me who it is. That means it’s someone I know.”

Right here looking at you, buddy. Willow’s discomfort grew. Damn, she wished Tara had waited to break up with Riley until after Willow had made it safely back to Berlin. And not when she was sitting here trapped in the middle of the Ravensbruck concentration camp with the man who would lock her away in a heartbeat if he only knew.

Riley was still thinking aloud to himself. “I bet her brother will know. Wasn’t he staying at the apartment for a week or two?”

“A- a week or so,” Willow said, her dread growing even greater at the mention of Donald. Of course, he and Riley would be on letter-writing terms.

“Damn,” Riley was fuming. “I knew she had too much free time on her hands. You, Wilma. You don’t even know, since you go to work every day. I knew it was a bad thing when she sent the kids out to the country and decided to stay in town.”

“I thought she decided to stay in town because you were in town.”

“Who knows. I do know that the night before I left to head back to the Front, she was…different…”

“How so?”

“She was more…forward. More needy.”

More grabby? Willow wondered and then cursed her love of words. She didn’t want the images in her mind that “grabby” conjured up.

Riley was blushing. “She wasn’t herself. And she hadn’t been since we ran into you and Xander at the Officers Club that night.”

Willow knew what he was talking about: that was the night she’d inexplicably found herself flirting with Tara. Suddenly, she was struck by the fact that perhaps Tara had felt the same way about her from the very start. The knowledge kind of warmed Willow inside. But she was in the middle of a dangerous conversation here and she couldn’t let herself get distracted.

“I hear what you’re saying, Riley, but I still don’t believe it’s Xander,” she sighed.

He clapped her on the shoulder. “You are the most optimistic person I have ever met. You give everyone the benefit of the doubt.”

Willow smiled a little. “I just follow my instincts. So far luck’s been on my side.”

Riley took another bite of his sandwich. “I wish I could say the same for me.”

She looked at him a moment. His luck really had been no better or worse than her own. He was just hurting right now. She decided it was time to change subjects. “So. You’re going to introduce me to some of the people here?”

Riley snapped back into his professional mode. “Yes. I’d like you to meet our camp doctor and the women’s head guard. They can both tell you a lot more about this place than I can. But I warn you, they’re not happy you’re here.”

I’m not sure I’m happy I’m here, Willow thought.

##

Spike lit another cigarette and regarded the piece of paper on his desk coolly.

“Well. I’ll be damned,” he said, flicking his gaze up to meet Caleb’s. The Preacher had a stupid evil smug face on him, and Spike wanted to knock it right off. With his fists.

“Yes,” Caleb grinned. “Wilma Hermann.”

Spike took a deep pull on the cigarette to calm his nerves. Well, now. If The Preacher had Red’s number, then she was a lost cause. Now all that mattered was making sure he didn’t start knocking all the dominoes over, leading next to Red’s boy Xander and then to Spike’s girl Buffy.

“The nerve that girl Red has. Working for the Party newspaper. Right here under our noses!” Caleb was ecstatic. Like he wanted Willow as his girlfriend. It was the most excited Spike had ever seen him be about a woman.

“She is a cheeky one,” Spike admitted. “Screwing the captain’s fiancée, working as a girl reporter for the Nazis…”

Caleb’s eyes gleamed malevolently. Uh-oh. That means he has more. “What else you got?” Spike asked.

“Can you imagine where the ‘cheeky’ Miss Willow Rosenberg is right now?”

Spike shrugged. “Screwing Miss Maclay, maybe?”

Caleb shot him a pissy look. “You have a thing for thinking about ladies together, don’t you?”

Spike shrugged. While the Nazis tended to frown upon the deed, there was nothing against the law about dreaming. Yet. He waited patiently for Caleb to say what he was gonna say. Because, knowing the bastard, there was no way he wasn’t going to say.

“Our Fugitive Red right now is at Ravensbruck.”

“The women’s concentration camp.”

“The one.”

“Well, then, I suppose our job is done. A shame, though. I’d kind of like to shake that lady’s hand. Or maybe kiss it a little.”

“Well then you’d suppose wrong. Because she’s not there as a prisoner. She’s there as a reporter. She’s on a story assignment for The People’s Press. Our young Mr. Harris was her escort.”

“Huh,” Spike huffed.

“And that’s not all.” He paused a moment and then: “She’s there to meet with Captain Riley Finn.”

Spike shrugged. “And?”

Caleb kicked the doorjamb in excitement. “Finn is Miss Maclay’s fiancé.”

“Wow, you’ve had a very busy morning,” Spike said. “And that girl is off her nut completely.”

“Definite death wish.” Caleb’s grin was pure evil.

Spike nodded somberly. And then he realized there was nothing else he could do. His mood brightened. “Well. Shall we oblige her, then?”

##

Tara was finding it extremely hard to stay focused knowing that her two lovers were spending the day together. She still couldn’t believe Willow’s audacity to have picked a story assignment that led her into a concentration camp. And then to choose Riley, her rival for Tara’s affections, as the man to be her source. Willow had been extremely sketchy about the story. Tara received what she was sure was the “Party Line” version—the tale Willow probably told Gruber to get him to let her do it. But Tara knew that there was some other motivation. Willow would never do something so big and risky as this without a really good reason, right?

Part of her was frustrated with Willow right now. Why this story? Why now? Why with Riley? Why at such risk? To herself and her friends. Was it fair for Willow to drag everyone out on the limb with her? Was this just the reality of loving Willow Rosenberg?

She’d read about people who experienced some kind of intense trial in their lives and then developed a craving for more and more. Like an adrenaline rush. Tara stopped to consider it: Was Willow an adrenaline junkie? Was she drawn to power?

It’s true that Buffy had been an outspoken university student, helping to distribute leaflets against the war. But Willow had been the one who helped Buffy with the writing. Buffy’s heart and instincts were right, but she didn’t really read the newspaper or stay up with current events. So Willow helped with Buffy’s “homework,” while Buffy networked with other student rabble-rousers. Most of whom were all long gone now.

She thought about Xander, who probably would never have taken an SS job unless he’d realized he was safer on the inside than on the outside. And that, of course, would be because of the company he kept. Willow had explained to Tara how she and Buffy had helped Xander figure out how to alter citizen documents to create new records—or new identities—for people. One of the people they’d helped was, of course, Willow. And Buffy had called upon another contact she had at SS in his off hours to do “favors” of procuring travel papers that had enabled a number of people to leave Germany for France or England or America.

Willow, Xander, Buffy—and now Tara--moved in an orbit around each other. But Tara finally realized that it was Willow who was the prime mover, the one who set everything in motion. Rather than lay low, Willow was climbing ever higher.

Tara knew there would be a price to pay for that. And that Willow would end up paying it sooner than later. Buffy even seemed to understand that. They’d taken a walk around Tara’s family’s farm after breakfast and talked some more. There was something about the intensity of Buffy that was intimidating, but there was also a fierce affection and loyalty when it came to Willow and Xander. It made Tara love Buffy.

“So how long do you figure you’ll be traveling, um, incognito?” Tara had asked Buffy,

She’d shrugged her boyish shoulders. “Until the war is over.”

“What then?” Tara was curious about what her friends’ dreams for the future might be.

Buffy had flashed her a sly look. “I’m going to get a good job so I can help take care of my mom and sister. My mom’s had to work too hard for too long. She was helping put me through college. Until, of course, I went and ruined everything by becoming Public Enemy #1.”

Tara chuckled. “I thought Public Enemy #1 was Betty something-or-other.”

“Oh, yeah. Saved by the typo. I still owe Will for that. Or wait, I don’t. I took her shopping and gave her all my girl clothes.”

Tara smiled shyly. “I, um, did notice that she was dressed rather nicely the last time I saw her.”

Buffy snorted. “Ha. Like you two spent five minutes with your clothes on.”

Tara blushed, but she pressed on. “They say that first impressions are what’s important. You know, the first 30 seconds.”

“I see. So the other four and a half minutes of non-naked time were essentially wasted.”

Tara chuckled. “Well, from an apparel standpoint, maybe. I’d have to say that Willow and I managed to pack a lot into that afternoon.”

“Which I need to know nothing about. La-la-la. Here’s me not listening.”

Tara was silent, smiling.

Buffy let out an exasperated gasp. “Damn. The la-la-las don’t help with mind pictures.”

They were near the fence at the front of the property when a military van rumbled by, interrupting the country quiet. The sudden approach of it made Tara and Buffy jump. They watched the vehicle pass slowly, the drivers eyeing the pair of them before the car finally wound its way down the road and out of sight.

“Wow. Jumpy much? I halfway thought they were going to stop for us,” Buffy confessed with a shaky voice.

Tara just nodded, waiting for her heart to stop racing.

Buffy patted her arm. “Willow’s making me nervous. I wish she’d call. What time is it?”

Tara shrugged. “Four maybe?” Her eyes narrowed. “Was Willow going to call?”

“I asked her to. I want to be sure she gets out of there.”

“Why is she there in the first place?”

Buffy looked at her in surprise. “The story,” she said.

“And?”

“And. She’s Willow. She’s big with the intrigue. She’s danger girl.”

“What’s she after, really?”

“Aside from brownie points from her editor? She’s always been an overachiever.” When Tara remained silent, Buffy crumbled a little. “Are you sure you want to know more?”

“You know more, don’t you?”

“Yes.”

“Then don’t I deserve to know more, too?”

Buffy sighed heavily, gazing off down the road where the military van had disappeared. “She’s meeting a Russian woman. To give her copies of her notes and some of her film.”

“Who is this woman? And why is she involved?”

Buffy shrugged. “The Russian’s a go-between. She’s going to deliver the story to the Allies.”

Tara stopped, her jaw dropping in disbelief. “How does Willow figure she’s going to get away with that? The only person to get into Ravensbruck to take photos, and she thinks the government isn’t going to know the Allies got the pictures from her? Is she fucking insane?”

It was Buffy’s turn to color. She was pacing now. Tara pressed on.

“And Riley. Does she hate him so much that she’d betray him? He’s going to end up being the poster boy of a traitor. They’re going to assume he’s in on it. God! Doesn’t she realize that hurting him hurts me? And, that’s not even to mention that they’ll be all over her. What the hell is she thinking?”

Buffy. “We all want the war to end.”

“A lot of good that’ll do us if we’re all dead.”

Just then a faraway voice reached them as if floated on the wind. It was Beth, coming down from the house. As the young woman came into view she called out again. “Tara, the phone. It’s for you.”

##

Willow was crying. The sound of it made Tara’s heart hurt.

“Hush, sweetie. Can you tell me what’s wrong? Are you ok?” Tara tried to keep her voice steady. Buffy was standing at her elbow, and Beth was leaning in the doorway, her face concerned. Tara really wished for more privacy.

“Tara, it’s so horrible.”

Tara’s heart leapt in fear. “What’s horrible? Has something happened?”

“Baby, it’s the place. You can’t believe the place. What- what they do to people. People like me. Like us. Everyday people who just happened to get up on the wrong side of the bed one day and suddenly they’re political prisoners. Tara, I saw things I wished I’d never seen…”

“Are- are you someplace safe? Where are you calling from?”

“Oh. Uh. Yeah. We’re back at the inn.”

##

Willow’s mind was full of math. She had a very mathematical mind. And right now she was powerless to stop it from doing multiplication. The numbers ran in the background as she tried to sort out her feelings and somehow manage to be coherent on the telephone. How could she explain to Tara the small building that was set back away from the rest of the barracks and separated by razor wire? The one Riley referred to as “the bunker.” How claustrophobic it was, with its narrow its passages and low its ceilings. Riley had led her around to what he pronounced to be the medical ward, which wasn’t a ward at all, just a few small rooms with cruel-looking apparatus that confused Willow. She’d never seen appliances like these. Were they even from the modern era? They appeared Victorian, or perhaps even medieval. White-washed rooms with stockade-like benches. Riley had frowned when Willow snapped a photo.

“Uh, you probably don’t want a picture of that,” he’d said uncomfortably.

“Why? What is it?” she’d asked, the heat rising up in her cheeks.

But then they were interrupted by a stern-faced blond woman in a lab coat. The woman seemed to appear out of nowhere, materializing from some hole or passageway to confront them. “This is Dr. Maggie Walsh,” Riley had announced by way of introduction. Dr. Walsh’s gaze slid up and down Willow, as if she were examining a medical specimen. “Do you belong here?” she finally asked. And for a moment, Willow wondered what it was that Walsh saw in her when she looked at her like that. Willow felt as if her disguise had been recognized by someone who was an expert at spotting the kind of people who spoiled the gene pool.

She snapped a photo of Maggie Walsh, too. It caught the woman by surprise. Riley gave her that look again.

Willow didn’t have the guts to ask the doctor how she cared for 40,000 women in a facility this small. And vacant. With sickness surely running through the camp, where were the sick people? Instead, there were spotless white rooms with sharp medical instruments. Metal picks, glass bottles of acids, shiny metal pans and shiny little knives. Dr. Walsh said little and watched Willow with a hawkish expectancy that made her glad for Riley. Otherwise she had the distinct feeling Dr. Walsh might have kept her, locked her in one of the stern little rooms with the strange stockades.

How could Willow explain to Tara what it felt like to crawl back out of that place and into the sunshine, to breathe air that wasn’t tinged with antiseptic and chlorine bleach and the faint hint of meat. How could she explain to Tara the haunted looks a group of inmates gave her when they’d resurfaced. The mistrustfulness and fear and curiosity. And loathing. When they looked at her they saw a Nazi. They saw her as one of those others.

How could she explain to anyone the feelings she experienced when Riley showed her one of the barracks where the women slept, when they let them sleep at all. The only furniture the place held were sturdy wooden bunk beds. They were three-tiered, like tall warehouse shelving. But Willow’s mind was good at math. She knew how many buildings were here. And how many women. And how few bunks.

“Do they sleep on the ground?” she’d asked, jumping ahead of herself. The uncomfortable look in Riley’s eyes told her he knew what she was asking. And the way he averted her gaze gave her her answer. The quarters were so close. They had to sleep at least three if not more to a bed. And they probably slept on the floor, too. The hall was dark and smelled like sweat and soiled laundry. She snapped another photo, and she was sure from the look on Riley’s face that he’d never let her out of here with her camera.

Willow tried to keep her voice light. She was a reporter for The People’s Press. She was Wilma Hermann, here on assignment. “I need a shot of a group of women…maybe chatting. You know. Something pedestrian and everyday. That people can relate to…”

Riley looked confused. Of course he was. That’s not the kind of thing you typically saw here.

Willow pressed on. “I need them to be wearing clean uniforms. And no patches. No red triangles or black triangles. And I need them to appear to be at leisure.” She looked him square in the eyes as if she were instructing him how to save his own life. It took a moment and then he comprehended what she was getting at.

“You’ll have to give us some time to find what you’re looking for,” he’d replied tightly. “But I think that’s a good idea. And we can manage it.”

They swung back by the office and Riley gave his instructions to two of his staff. Who’d stared at Willow with open contempt. But they’d agreed to do it because Riley was their superior, and they’d all been told to cooperate with the reporter. Willow snapped a photograph of their sour faces.

How could she explain the thick column of smoke that rose from the chimney of a building Riley said was the crematorium? “We have to deal with death here,” he’d commented. “We’re bigger than most cities, in terms of our population. Every city has to deal with its dead. We’ve found that this the best way to avoid spreading disease.”

Willow did the math again, thinking about the small number of infirmary beds for a “city” of 40,000. And wondering what means of disposing of the dead they’d tried before they’d settled on this one as “best.”

Behind the crematorium lay the beautiful lake. There was a large work crew of younger women prisoners, carrying wheelbarrowfulls of gray ash from the back of the building and down to the waterfront, where they deposited the material into the water itself or onto a small barge which, Willow presumed, would be taken out into the middle of the lake for dumping. Perhaps under the cloak of night. Armed guards stood all around, their rifles slung over their shoulders or gripped tight in their hands as the women trudged about their work, fine gray dust coating their clothing, their hair, their faces.

“Don’t even think about taking a picture of this,” Riley warned under his breath.

One of the women guards interrupted them. Willow turned to find a pretty blond woman with a dark look in her eyes. “We have your garden tableau all set up, Captain,” the woman announced. Willow recognized sarcasm when she heard it.

“So quickly!” Riley said, obviously relieved to be leaving this place. “Very good. Miss Hermann, this is Glory, one of the head guards. She’s worked here for several years. She’s one of our best.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Willow had said as impassively as possible, though it was becoming harder and harder to keep her cool.

Glory merely gave a toss of her head and turned to lead Willow to the “tableau” she’d assembled for the photo shoot. Riley trailed behind them as they strode across the courtyard to the one tree in practically the whole compound. As they approached, Willow surveyed the light and pulled out her camera bag for another roll of film.

“Can’t believe you’ve gone through a whole roll already,” Riley commented, almost as if to let her know he was keeping track. Willow had felt irritation, but didn’t let it show. That other roll of film. That was for Anya. This one, the “PR” roll: That was for The People’s Press. Gruber didn’t want to know the details. He didn’t want to see the bunker and the crematorium and the cloth patches of triangles and stars. He didn’t want to see the bunks or the skinny dying women in their threadbare and dirty uniforms, covered in fine gray dust. He didn’t want to see creepy Maggie Walsh or even Riley. All he wanted was a wholesome photograph. One shot was all that was needed. Willow knew this. She threaded the film carefully and advanced the roll a few frames, checking the light meter and setting her aperture.

Before her were three shrunken and sad-looking women. As Willow looked closer she realized they couldn’t have been any older than she herself. In fact, they were barely teenagers. But their faces were hollow and ancient. They had long blond hair. When Willow raised an eyebrow, Glory explained that these were Norwegian student dissidents. As if that explained why they got to keep their Aryan hair, as opposed to all of those other women whose heads were humiliatingly shaved. These women, because they were more Aryan than even the average German, got to keep some part of their dignity here. Willow smiled ruefully and focused her camera, snapping off a couple of candid shots of the women standing in the shade of the tree. They looked stiff and uncomfortable. Willow would have to try to get them to relax.

“I need to work with them a little. Get them at ease,” she explained to Riley and Glory. “Any chance I could get you two to stand over there and let me pose the women myself?”

Riley nodded, but Glory shot her a suspicious glare. “Don’t believe the shit they tell you. Fucking whores are always making stuff up. They’ve got it good.”

Coldness pooled in Willow’s belly at the thought of why Glory would tell her something like that. “It’s ok,” Willow nodded. “I’m not interested in anything they might say. I just need a really good photograph.”

That didn’t seem to sit any better with Glory or Riley, who stood aloof, off to the side and out of earshot, as Willow returned to her reluctant photo subjects.

“I’m Wilma,” Willow introduced herself. “I’m just going to take a few photos for The People’s Press newspaper, and I need you to just talk naturally together, like you would if I weren’t here.”

“If you weren’t here, we’d be digging graves,” one of the women deadpanned. Was that deadpan? Or was that not? Willow adjusted her camera lens, but kept her eyes locked with the woman’s.

“Is there something you can tell me? Something you want me to know?”

“There’s nothing you can do with your Nazi newspaper,” the second woman said with a tentative air of contempt. If contempt could ever be tentative, which Willow discovered, yes, it could be.

“I am taking your photograph for a Nazi newspaper,” Willow confirmed. “But there are a lot of people out there who would be interested in your story…” She left the words hanging, hoping that the women understood her meaning. She couldn’t safely spell it out any more plainly.

The first woman gazed at Willow contemplatively. Willow pulled the shutter, capturing her image.

“A lot of people, you say,” the woman repeated. “Like who?”

Willow shrugged, advancing the film and refocusing. “Anybody with a human heart or soul.”

The second woman snorted in derision. “A lot of good it would do.”

Willow shrugged, giving the woman her best earnest look. “Tell me and we’ll see.” She snapped another photo.

The third woman, the one who had been silent so far, finally spoke up. She gave a little head nod toward Glory and Riley. “I’ll tell you something those other two would never tell you.”

Willow looked up from her camera, expectantly. In kind of a queasy way. She lifted the camera to her eye and focused. “Tell me.”

The third girl furtively glanced around the compound. Women were marching in long columns. There were sounds of digging and industry and hard labor. As the girl’s eyes scanned the place, Willow let her senses follow while she kept her viewfinder firmly aimed at the three women. “Look around you. Forty thousand women.”

“Yes,” Willow said, snapping another shot. “Closer together now, please.”

The women linked arms. One of the girls ruffled the other’s hair in a rare moment of playfulness that Willow recognized as genuine. Willow caught the shot. “Forty thousand women,” Willow repeated.

“And have you wondered where their children are?”

Willow straightened and gestured for the women to sit together in the grass under the tree. “I assume they’re at one of the nearby subcamps?”

The woman pressed on. “Forty thousand women. You ever wonder how many of them came into the camp pregnant?”

A city. A city of women. How many at any one time might be pregnant? Willow’s mind started doing math again. “Um, a lot,” Willow breathed, pushing the numbers away.

“Yes, a lot. Do you see any children here?”

“Aside from you?” Willow knew these girls couldn’t be more than 15.

“Any babies?”

Willow advanced the film to the end of the roll and popped out the canister. She pulled another roll from her bag and reloaded the camera quickly. “Um. I don’t want to know the answer to this, do I?” she said softly as the three girls looked up at her with round eyes that should be full of youthful innocence but just plain weren’t. Willow understood the answer: The Nazis committed infanticide. They killed the children and the newborns.

The third girl gestured toward Glory and Riley again. “That woman. The guard. She’s the worst. She’s referred to as ‘the stomping mare.’”

Willow contemplated this as she threaded the film with shaking fingers. It was too horrible to even conjure mind pictures. She took several deep breaths to steady herself and then began snapping more photographs of the three girls. In silence. Because the tears had threatened to well up, and if she let them, then she wouldn’t be able to stop. And Wilma Hermann needed to keep calm. The girls saw her struggle, and a wordless understanding seemed to pass between them.

“Thank you,” Willow finally said, dropping the camera to her side. “I think I have what I need.”

Then the armed guards were there to herd the three prisoners back to their labor. Willow turned slowly back to Riley and Glory, somehow unable to take her eyes off the woman’s heavy boots. When at last she was able to meet Glory’s gaze, it was cold and mean. Willow got the distinct impression that Glory knew exactly what the prisoners had told Willow. And didn’t give a shit.

“So, lover. Like what you see? Doesn’t it make your heart bleed?”

Willow looked to Riley, whose face was an impassive mask. How much does he know? What barbarian ways are people treated here? Or murdered? Suddenly, all of this was making a few run-ins with the SS in Berlin seem like nothing. Glory stared her down cold. Willow had no doubt the woman could snap her neck instantly with a flick of her wrist, if she wanted to. And Willow had no doubt that she wanted to.

So she found her voice. “Like I said. I’m writing a piece for The People’s Press. And the people have no desire to know anything your prisoners might have to say. What they or anyone else tell me is irrelevant. I have my assignment and that’s all.”

“Oh, but you’re human and weak. You’re not going to tell me you’re not running home to your fiancé—nice ring, by the way—and tell him all about this horrible, nasty old place.”

“I don’t have a fiancé.”

“Word games. You know what I mean. You don’t look like you live under a rock. What about the boys back at the newspaper office?”

Willow held her ground. “I was briefed. I know my orders.”

“Do you always follow orders?”

Riley was shifting from foot to foot, uncomfortably. He couldn’t help her in this conversation.

“I’m not military, if that’s what you mean. But I do know how to follow orders,” Willow answered crisply.

“Girlfriend, I don’t care who you are or who you work for, but you shouldn’t have come here. You’re either a dumb sheep or sly as a fox. And why is it you don’t strike me as a sheep?”

I can be very sheepy, Willow wanted to say, but somehow managed to put a lid on that comment. “You’re just messing with me. I get that. Well done.”

“Darlin’, if I were messing with you, you’d know it.” She leaned in close, whispering almost conspiratorially. “What if I told you that everything the women here say about me is true? ‘Cause, you know, it is. Does that make it harder for you to follow orders?” She wiggled her eyebrows, and Willow wanted to smack the smug look off her face. “Or…what if I were to say someone—Captain Riley, for instance—that I think you intend to use your notes and photos for purposes other than your newspaper?”

“Why would you do that?”

“Because it’s true, isn’t it?”

Thankfully, Glory didn’t let Willow answer. She pressed in. “Every person in this place would be tempted. Anybody who ever got out. They’d talk to people. How could they not? And your photos. They’re just the thing that turns one woman’s story into truth. Photos don’t lie.”

Willow looked from Glory to Riley and shrugged. “She has a point,” Willow conceded. “The film is too valuable. And too dangerous. Even for people in the newsroom.” She reached into her camera bag and pulled out a roll of film and handed it to Riley. “It’s yours. Keep it. Burn it. The shots in the camera are the photos of the ladies under the tree. Those are the only shots I’d consider using.”

Glory raised an eyebrow skeptically.

“You saw me load the camera. Though if it makes you feel better…” She removed the film from the camera, inserted it back into its metal canister and handed it to Riley.

“Develop the roll and send us just the pictures you want us to have. In fact, when you have someone develop them, give the specific instructions to destroy any negative that’s not a shot of the women under the tree.”

Riley nodded. “Sounds reasonable. Under the circumstances. But I’d still like the option to send no photograph if that’s what we determine is best.”

“Fine. Take it up with your superiors who can sort it out with Hans Gruber. I’ve done my job here. Now I’m done.”

That was the end of the tour. Riley had one of his men drive Willow back to the inn, saving Xander the trip. She’d felt relief wash over her to be out of that place and then intense anxiety. She hoped Riley wouldn’t discover that she’d kept back one roll of film. The one with all the photos of the camp. And she ached with the knowledge that she couldn’t tell anyone—except perhaps for Anya—what she’d seen there.

So here she was on the phone with the one person in all the world she wanted to break down and cry to—to share this terrible knowledge with and be comforted—and she didn’t dare.

“Tara, I can’t tell you more, baby. I just wish you were with me…”

Tara heard something plaintive and scared in Willow’s voice that reminded her of Riley. Had Willow become bruised like he had? Would she be haunted? Was this the price of getting too close to the truth?

“Sweetie, I love you. As long as you’re safe, it’s going to be all right.”

“I- I don’t know…What’s safe anymore? What was ever safe?” The math, the terrible math was running in the background, in her mind.

Tara’s voice was gentle but firm. “I want you and Xander to come down here now. Tonight. Get in your car right this minute and don’t stop along the way.”

Willow nodded wordlessly on the other end of the line. “I need that. I need you.”

##

She hung up the phone and composed herself. When she turned back to the room, Xander and Anya were sitting at the bar together laughing about something. They’d seemed to hit it off. Willow walked up to them and pressed her one last roll of film into Anya’s palm in handshake. The little metal canister was cool between them.

“Anya. It was wonderful meeting you. Xander and I have to go. Like right now. If you need anything more, call me at the newspaper. But this is all I have for now. Please don’t let these go right away. Like we discussed, I can’t have them traced back to me. You’ll give it eight weeks like we talked about?”

Anya nodded and eyed her suspiciously. “They rattled you, eh?”

Willow nodded reluctantly, her eyes nervously focused on the floor. Which was waxy.

Anya’s voice was soothing. “Well, that’s their job, and they’re really good at it. But no worries, Wilma. You did good.”

Willow wondered.

##

Riley’s head hung heavy in his hands. It was well after six o’clock, and the office was quiet. He sat silently in the small pool of light his lamp made across the desk. Before him lay the one film canister that Wilma Hermann had asked him to have developed for her. His stomach was in knots. Maggie Walsh had already been by to chastise him for letting the reporter into the bunker. And he’d endured Glory’s vocal tirade about letting outsiders in at all. And they’d both expressed displeasure with the notion of The People’s Press doing a story on Ravensbruck. Some stones were best left unturned, Dr. Walsh had suggested. Riley couldn’t have agreed more. It’s just that he had his orders. And he wanted to give Wilma the benefit of the doubt. Could she create a piece that retold the story of the camps so that for posterity people saw them as something slightly less evil than they actually were?

His stomach growled, but he didn’t have the heart to go to dinner. He listened instead to the sounds of the camp that filtered through his opened window. The whistles and shouts of the guards rounding up the women and herding them back to the barracks for dinner. There were so many women moving about out there that he could hear the shuffle of their collective footsteps, their slow slog back to the barracks. For most of the women, they’d go back to work after dinner. But for this little 45-minute window, the whole camp seemed to heave a collective sigh of relief. And Riley wanted to find the peace to be able to relax, too. His world was falling apart.

A loud rap at his office door jolted him to attention. Maggie Walsh was there. “You have visitors,” was all she said, her ubiquitous smirk firmly in place.

Riley ran his hands across his face and looked up to see two plainclothes men standing in the doorway before him. One was tall, with eyes so dark they were almost black. The other smaller with sharp blue eyes.

“Captain Finn?” the smaller one asked.

##

Riley held the photograph in his hands, bending it this way and that under the pooled light emanating from his desk lamp. He was silent, choosing to ignore the two SS detectives seated across from him while he gathered his thoughts. And stuffed down his anger. A flick of a glance at the detectives told him they were amused by his reaction and perfectly content to let him take whatever time he needed to finally say something. He sighed. Then Riley returned his gaze to the photo of Wilma Hermann. Or, actually, the detective named Blood had just told him she went by another name: Willow Rosenberg.

Rosenberg. Jewish. No doubt about it.

“She works for The People’s Press, for chrissakes,” he ground out through gritted teeth. His jaw was tight again, giving him a headache, as usually happened by the end of the day. But this headache was different. He knew it wouldn’t be going away anytime soon.

“Yeah, she’s a real scamp,” Blood replied with a mean twinkle in his eye.

He squeezed his temples, trying to tame the dull ache, to no avail. “I had no idea she was a Jew.”

Blood’s reply sounded sympathetic. “How could you?”

“That’s right. She works for the Party newspaper. My own superiors cleared her to come here. How could I have known she’s a Jew and a fugitive?”

The other detective, the quiet one, bent forward out of the shadows to speak at last. “Thought maybe your fiancée might have told you.”

That jerked Riley out of his stupor. He shot a fiery glare at the two detectives. “Tara! You’d better be careful talking trash about…” But then he lost steam, fell back in his chair and sighed heavily, wondering: “Tara?”

Blood shook his head. “You mean she didn’t tell you?”

Riley shrugged. “No.” He was angry she knew and hadn’t told him, that she’d let him be compromised in this way. But he loved her and wouldn’t say anything further. He opened his mouth to deflect the conversation back to Willow Rosenberg, but Blood cut him off before he could speak.

“So she didn’t tell you then…about the two of them?”

Riley’s stomach took a dive and the silence of the room suddenly pounded deafeningly in his ears. What were they trying to say? “Just tell me,” he growled. Was Tara in on some conspiracy? What, exactly, had she been doing in Berlin while he was gone?

“She didn’t tell you that she and Red were, ah, lovers?” Blood drawled out sweetly. “Or are. Could be they still are.” The other detective nodded in agreement.

That did it. Riley swept his arm across his desk in fury, knocking everything but the desk lamp to the floor with an ugly clatter that resonated slowly back into silence. The lamp sat askew, shining a bit more now on the detectives, who squinted like a couple of raccoons caught in a flashlight beam. He wanted to knock those stupid smirks right off their faces.

“Don’t mess with me,” Riley yelled in his meanest go-to-hell voice. And then he collapsed again into his desk chair, scowling at them as their words started to sink in. The ring. Tara not wanting Riley to bring Wilma—or Willow—down to the farm. Tara calling off their engagement. Wilma defending Xander’s honor. Shit. It did add up.

“Oh, God,” he groaned, rubbing his hands across his face. The detectives sat impassively watching the emotions play out.

But Tara had left Berlin two months ago. So that meant if Wilma were her lover, they couldn’t have been together since then, right? Maybe Tara hadn’t told him because she was embarrassed. Trying to forget about it herself. Just a short, embarrassing indiscretion. Maybe she thought her unfaithfulness made her unworthy of him and that’s why she broke off their engagement. Things started making more sense. He could just talk to her and tell her he was angry and that he’d get over it. He could forgive her.

“Do you have any idea where the woman formerly known as Wilma Hermann was headed after her appointment here with you?” Blood asked softly.

“I don’t know. Back to Furstenburg? She must have been staying at an inn in town there. Of course, she could make it back to Berlin easily tonight.” He was fairly sure she was headed out to see Tara. Should he say it? Should he send the SS out to the farm? What if they weren’t telling the whole truth? What if Tara was in on a conspiracy and they wanted to find her? He thought again about the ring. No, the ring was something romantic. It had to be a love affair. If he sent the detectives to the farm, they’d apprehend Wilma, probably piss off Tara and make her cry, but then she’d be done with the whole business and could get on with her life. As long as Wilma was out there, Tara wouldn’t be safe. Nor would Riley. If he helped the detectives capture their fugitive, things would go easier on Riley. It would take the heat off him. It would prove he wasn’t somehow in on whatever agenda Wilma had for coming to Ravensbruck under the guise of reporter. He’d ask the men to go easy on Tara, in return for his cooperation. He took a deep breath and rolled the dice.

“Wait…” he said, almost under his breath.

The detectives leaned forward in their chairs. They were all ears.

##

Beth was confused. The dogs were barking outside, and Tara was pacing nervously across the length of the front room. She looked impatient and…what? Scared? Bert sat stoically on the couch, arms crossed, looking somehow far older than his 14 years. He looked dangerous, like a tightly-coiled spring ready to release. Beth wanted to say something, to ask her cousin what was up. Why were they so worried about Bert’s Aunt Wilma? They’d been agitated ever since the phone call from Wilma that neither of them would tell her about.

All Tara would say was that Wilma and somebody named “Zander”—her boyfriend?—were on their way and would be staying over. Beth had been busy trying to work out the sleeping arrangements: Where would the boys sleep? All together with Bert, so that Wilma could sleep in the guest room? Would Zander have to take the couch? But then Tara hadn’t moved to help her make up the rooms. That was not like her. And when Beth had offered to set a kettle of soup on the stove, Tara had not pitched in to help ready the house for her guests.

And Bert who had seemed so charming and precocious before was merely broody now. He’d gone with Tara outside for a few minutes, to the barn and back, but otherwise hadn’t moved from the couch in over an hour. He’d suggested a couple of times that Tara relax and sit down, but she wouldn’t.

For their part, Donald’s boys were disappointed that Bert was preoccupied. They’d wanted him to play with them. And when he declined to join them, they’d gone upstairs to their room to read comic books and sulk.

Then headlights swept up the driveway, illuminating a swath across the front window. The dogs erupted again into wild barking outside, and Tara and Bert jumped. The boys upstairs started stomping their way excitedly down the hallway and then down the stairs.

But before they had even hit the landing, Bert and Tara had grabbed their coats and were out the front door.

Beth moved slowly over to the window and pulled back the drape.

##

The expanse of grass between the front steps and the car was entirely too far. Tara bolted with Buffy close on her heels. First Xander and then Willow climbed out of the car, looking tired but happy to have found the place. Tara crossed the grass in two heartbeats and swept Willow into her arms in a tight embrace, which Willow returned with equal fierceness. They spun together, breathing in and acclimating to the heft and feel of each other. “Buffy’s right,” Tara whispered into Willow’s neck.

“About what?” Willow asked, live and in the flesh.

Tara chuckled. “She is dressing you better these days.”

Willow laughed and pulled back so she could survey Tara better. “God, I’ve missed you,” she gasped and then clutched Tara closely to her again.

Buffy’s arms snaked around them both, so she could give Willow a hug, too. “Glad they let you out,” she said.

“Definitely not a place I’d like to stay.”

“This a little better?” Tara asked, meaning her embrace.

Willow nuzzled in closer, burying her face in Tara’s chest. “Vixen. This is definitely much better. In fact, I think I’ll move in here.”

“I wish you would…I think I could manage to find a place to put you…” Tara purred.

“Is that right? Hmmm,” Willow mumbled into Tara-cleavage.

Buffy stepped back. “Ok, stop with the double-entendres, please,” she joked. “I’m at a very impressionable age, remember?”

Tara grinned and straightened, noticing for the first time the small nervous-looking woman dressed in body-hugging white. And beside her was Xander, who stepped forward and gave Tara a hug, since Willow had finally managed to let go of her.

“This is Anya,” Xander said. “She’s an associate of Wilma’s.”

He turned to Anya. “This is Tara, Wilma’s…friend. And this is her nephew Bert.”

Anya’s dark eyes narrowed in confusion. “’Bert?’ Is she a lesbian, too?”

For a moment, everyone stopped. Tara swung her head around to see if Beth was behind them. She was still in the house. Wow.

Xander laughed a bit nervously. “Uh, this is one of those things we don’t talk about, okay?”

Buffy stuck out her hand to Anya. “Please call me Bert.” They shook. “Please,” Buffy said, pointedly.

Anya leaned in closer. “So you prefer that people think you’re a male?”

Buffy blinked. “Uh…yeah?” She shook the cobwebs from her head. “But ‘prefer’ is probably an overstatement.”

Willow stepped in. “It’s okay, Anya. ‘Bert’ has a backstory is all.”

Anya shoved her hands in her pockets uncomfortably and glanced from Buffy to Willow. “I think I get it,” she said, uncertainly. “Backstories. Very interesting.”

“It’s probably not what you’re thinking,” Buffy said, obviously worrying about what Anya might be thinking.

Anya blinked. “Huh. Because I was thinking that you’re probably in disguise because you’re on the lamb from the Gestapo, just like these two are.” She hooked her thumb at Willow and Xander. “But now that you said that I’m wondering if you’re actually just a little uncomfortable about your sexuality. Which, by the way, Wilma, bravo for you for living your life out loud and proud.” Anya gave Tara an approving glance.

Tara watched both Willow and Buffy squirm, and she felt the color rise up in her own cheeks as well.

Xander stepped in. “Okaaay…Thank you, Anya, for making me think about my friends in entirely new—though not at all unpleasant—ways.” He turned to Tara and Buffy, explaining: “Anya has almost superhuman powers of observation. Willow and I have learned quickly to just let it go.”

Anya looked disgruntled. “What? I just say it like it is. It’s all the rest of you who get freaked out about the truth. I don’t even want to know the truth about any of you. It’ll make things easier when the SS sends its henchmen down here to arrest us all.”

“Arrest who?”

Everyone spun around to find Cousin Beth standing on the grass, looking warily at the newcomers.

Tara blushed. “No one, of course. It’s just an expression,” she lied.

##

To be continued in 9B

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:15 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Night of Broken Glass--PART 9B

It took some doing to get everyone inside and Beth calmed down about all of the unexpected houseguests. Yes, Tara was really overstepping propriety here. It was Beth’s home. Tara was just staying here until things cooled off in Berlin. So she couldn’t blame Beth for being a bit upset to have her house overrun with strangers. The cousins exchanged words in the kitchen as Tara made a pot of coffee and Beth ladled up soup from the big black stockpot on the stove.

“I half expected to see Riley here, considering your friend Wilma was interviewing him at Ravensbruck today. Of course, he’d have to sleep in the barn anyway, since we’re short of flat surfaces around here tonight.”

Tara took a deep breath. “Riley and I broke up,” she said matter-of-factly.

Beth gasped and her whole demeanor changed from one of peevishness to almost sisterly concern. “Oh no! What happened, Tara? Was it the war? Did he find a woman in another town?”

No, but I did. Tara bit her tongue, saying only: “The war probably had something to do with it. It was changing him, Beth. Calling off the engagement…It was my decision.”

“What? Why? Did- did he hit you?”

Tara regarded her in confusion. “What? No, he was a perfect gentleman. Always.” Too much so, in fact.

“Did you find another fellow?” Beth asked. “Like maybe that cute Xander fellow? I noticed how he looks at you.”

“He looks at everybody that way. Or the women at least. No. He’s a very dear friend. And he introduced me to Wilma and Bert. They’re like family to me…or were, anyway, when I was alone in Berlin.”

“This is all way too colorful for my tastes. I’ve never lived in a big city, it’s true. Things are very simple here. And you probably consider it all quite boring. But excuse me for saying I think you’ve let that city living go to your head. Marrying Riley was going to be about the smartest thing you ever did, and now you’ve given that all up—and for what?”

For love, maybe? Tara frowned. “You and Donnie seem to think the world’s going to come crashing down if I don’t marry somebody. Well, I’ll tell you what. You don’t need to worry about me being a burdensome old maid.” She winked. “Old maid, maybe. But I promise to get out of your hair as soon as I’m able.”

Beth shot her an uncomfortable and wary look and sighed, pulling her apron off. “You know what? Fine. If you want an evening of big-city living with your friends, be my guest. Literally. But I’m tired. I’m going to head upstairs to bed. Keep it down. And don’t drink all the vodka, okay?”

Willow slipped into the kitchen as Beth was just leaving. She smiled brightly at Tara’s cousin. “This must be a little crazy for you. I’m sorry we’ve crashed your quiet evening. And thank you for the hospitality. Is there anything I can do to lend a hand?”

Beth softened a moment, reacting to Willow’s smile the way just about everybody did. Tara was certain the girl could win over Beth eventually. At that thought, Tara felt Willow’s arms snake around her waist from behind, and her hands started those slow circles that always seemed to light a fire in Tara’s belly. Tara was fairly sure Willow didn’t even realize she was doing it, but Beth did. The woman shot Tara an unfathomable look and then left.

So, okay, maybe it would take some work for Willow to win her over.

“Did I say something wrong?” Willow asked, her voice small.

##

The door closed and the house was finally quiet enough to hear the ticking of the clock. There were whispers—Xander in the downstairs front room with “Bert,” where they planned to camp out on the couches. Anya was in “Bert’s” room, talking to herself apparently. Beth and the boys had turned in a while ago. Now it was just Willow and Tara, and after being apart for two months, Willow was not about to complain.

Tara had watched her all evening with a hungry look in her eyes. She was a quiet person by nature. A bit of a Mona Lisa, to be quite honest. She was there at the dining room table with Xander and Buffy, Anya and Willow, lending a certain weight and calm whenever Willow’s insides felt flighty, scared and stirred up. Anya, Buffy and Xander had been charming over dinner, talking around the edges of Willow’s little adventure into prison. But Willow had purposely revealed little. Later, tomorrow, perhaps, she’d tell Anya the whole story. After all, it was she who would carry the burden of delivering the photos and notes to the Allies.

Willow had looked around the table then in sadness realizing that in some ways after today things would never be the same again. She had so much to say to Tara. She couldn’t wait to pull her away from the table and climb upstairs so she could begin to try to say it. But, then, this moment of togetherness around the table felt so perfect: the way Xander waggled his eyebrows at his own jokes, and the way Buffy’s face lit up when she really let herself laugh (which didn’t happen nearly often enough), the way Anya so earnestly tried to comprehend this world, and then just as Willow thought the moment couldn’t be more perfect, she’d catch Tara’s eye and see the absolute warmth reserved there just for her. The little smile that curled at the edges of her mouth—that was about sex. Willow had learned that much. But Tara’s gaze communicated so much more: there was acceptance of the silly and reckless world of Willow. And there was pride, too. That no matter what happened or who said what that Tara loved her and found her amazing. As Willow’s heart pounded in fear, Tara grounded her.

She knew they may have made a mistake in coming straight here, but she couldn’t help it. Now closing the door, she finally turned and faced Tara alone, and she felt shy and vulnerable.

“Hey,” she whispered. Her throat would allow no more sound to escape. Tara was folding clothes on the chair near the bed…big bulky sweaters and long pants. The kind of clothes a country girl would wear tending to the farm. Catching Willow’s eye, Tara stopped what she was doing and crawled up onto the bed. The springs creaked noisily, causing both women to giggle.

“That, I’m afraid, is simply not going to do,” Willow said with a wicked grin.

“Oh, no?” Tara replied, her eyes wide and innocent. “Come here.”

Willow took two steps and the floorboards groaned as if she were carrying a piano across them “Shit!” she whimpered. “This is so not fair.”

“A little exhibitionism hasn’t stopped you before,” Tara teased.

“Yeah, but- but that was all with the dark and the come-hither and the- that thing with your mouth. And- and you definitely had surprise on your side that time. And- and I don’t have a problem with being quiet, per se. No sir-ee. It’s just that the moment I even kiss you, seven other people in this house are going to know it. Heck, the dogs will probably start barking outside, even.”

“Welcome to my Hell,” Tara rolled her eyes.

Willow bashfully dragged her toe on the floor, shooting Tara a meaningful look. “Maybe you, you know, might have figured out a work-around for this little problem?”

Tara feigned shock. “Willow Rosenberg, are you suggesting that I’ve entertained gentlemen callers here in my childhood bedroom?”

Willow looked around the room a bit uncertainly. “Um, yeah?”

Tara sighed in mock exasperation. “Well, usually I drag them out to the barn where we can do whatever we want. As long as we want. And as hard as we want. You know me and, well, hard…And, anyway, there are some interesting games you can play with some of the equipment….What?”

Willow’s mouth hung open in shock—and what? Curiosity? Lust? “Uh, can we go outside, maybe?”

Tara gave her a heavy-lidded smile and extended a very lovely hand—one of two that knew Willow so well. “Come here,” Tara purred.

Willow crossed the squeaky floor without any other thought than what she might like to do to Tara in a big enclosed space with no one around…and with interesting…equipment. Tara caught her in her arms and wrestled her down onto the groaning mattress, rolling on top of her. They hung suspended like that for a moment, Tara’s face hovering just above Willow’s, their bodies in complete stillness. And then with an innocent smile, Tara leaned in for a kiss, capturing Willow’s lips tenderly and sending warm tinglies to all points south. The net of springs sighed more than groaned with the motion, so Tara tested further, pushing Willow’s legs apart with her thigh and running her hand along Willow’s leg, drawing the fabric of her skirt along with it. Willow hummed with the sensations that were gathering about her: the whisper of breath against her mouth, the silky trace of fingertips along her thigh and the weight of Tara’s body pressing into her, compelling Willow’s body to move as if by only the magic of gravity. And perhaps a little chemistry. Tara smelled really, really good. Willow drew her arms around Tara’s shoulders and tangled her fingers in her hair, pulling her closer. Tara responded with a roll of her hips. And a long, slow creak of the mattress. Willow couldn’t stifle her nervous giggle, which made Tara giggle, too.

“Can’t we go outside…Please?” Willow begged.

“It’s cold out there, sweetie. We’d freeze.” Tara gave another roll of her hips, and Willow instinctively felt her legs part wider to afford more room—and more delicious pressure. She groaned in a duet with the springs, gazing helplessly up into Tara’s eyes, which were dark and naughty.

“You’re enjoying torturing me,” Willow grinned.

“If I wanted to torture you, I’d take you out back to the barn.”

“Oh, yeah? What then?” Willow definitely liked the naughty look in Tara’s eyes and how she punctuated the words with a subtle testing of the bedsprings, triggering the sounds with the slightest movement of her hips. Willow smiled sweetly, waiting to see what Tara would say.

“Well, there’s a hayloft, of course. That’s where we’d end up…eventually,” Tara purred, rolling into Willow again and grinning as Willow answered the motion with a roll of her hips as well.

“It’s soft there. I’d lay out a blanket. You’d be on your back and I’d be between your legs. Kissing. In that way you seem to like so much. In the way even my brother knows you like so much,” she chuckled. Another slow roll with its answering moan from the springs. “I’d tease you. I’d get you wound up. I know the way your breathing catches when you want to grind. That little bit of you that wants to control the tempo and the pressure. You come when you want to come. But not this time. I’d wind you up, and you’d start to set your own pace, and then I’d stop.”

Tara stilled her hips. And Willow lamented the loss of movement. She wrapped her arms low around Tara’s back and pulled hard, straining to keep the friction and heat mounting.

“Case in point,” Tara said. “You’re a hard woman to say no to. I like that you know where you want to go. It’s just that sometimes I want to take you the scenic way.”

Willow relaxed her grip and gazed patiently into Tara’s eyes. She was willing to let Tara drive. Tara was a very good driver. She just hoped Tara would drive a little faster.

Tara continued her narrative. “But then I’d see you sprawled out before me in the moonlight (of course, it would be perfect with moonlight coming in), and I’d want so damn bad to be inside you that it would be hard for me to battle my own impatience. Because I know the minute I slip my hand inside you, I’d be a goner. I’d have to drag that orgasm out of you, and I’d want to. I know how much you like it. And I know the way you’d feel. How the muscles inside you squeeze when I’m fucking you just the right way. And, damn it, I’d definitely be fucking you the right way.”

Willow felt her face flush and her stomach dive. Who knew that the girl she met this winter—the one who could barely stammer out a sentence--could end up being such a naughty talker?

Tara’s eyebrows shot up. “Shall I keep going?”

Willow nodded, barely trusting her voice. “Please do…only, except…could you put your hand inside me? I- I need to feel you.”

Tara rose to her knees, pulling her shirt over her head to reveal her lovely breasts. The sight made Willow’s mouth water with wanting to kiss them. The bed squeaked as they both worked to remove clothing, the coolness of the house in the evening settling over them, making nipples hard and skin beg for the heat of friction and exertion. Willow worked her way out of her dress only to find Tara rolling her stockings down her legs, her thumbs brushing Willow’s inner thighs.

“You’re wet,” Tara whispered, licking the moisture from her thumb.

“I think I’ve been wet for, uh, about two months now.”

Tara settled her now-naked self back down above Willow, running her breasts along the length of her until their lips met in a searing kiss. Willow could taste herself on Tara’s tongue, which played languorously against her own, teasing and receiving.

“Please,” Willow whispered, in between kisses. “Your hand inside me.”

Tara eyed her, as if deciding whether or not to tease.

“The- the way you do. You know, the right way.” Willow was not above begging.

Tara sat up again then and dragged Willow’s hips up onto her lap. Willow lay on her back and opened herself to whatever Tara had in mind. Tara wrapped Willow’s legs around her, running her hands possessively along them, teasing Willow’s wetness with her thumbs and generally sending off white sparks throughout Willow’s body. All the while Willow kept her eyes locked on Tara’s.

Tara pressed a hand low on Willow’s belly. “I want you to stay still. I want you to stay relaxed. Think you can do that for me?”

Willow shook her head, uncertainly, earning a smirk from her lover. “Just try, sweetie. I promise to take very good care of you.”

With that Willow took a deep breath and nodded, letting all of the tension drain away from her and willing it to pool somewhere on the floor, far away from her.

And then she felt Tara slide softly in. She took another deep breath and steadied herself, acclimating to the welcome intrusion of Tara’s beautiful and clever fingers. Tara kept her hand still, but her breathing picked up. She definitely liked what she’d found there.

“Oh, my God. You feel amazing,” Tara whispered. “I- I can feel these little flutters inside you. And, god, you’re so wet and soft.” Willow struggled to stay relaxed. She could feel the faint involuntary and fluttery clenching, particularly when Tara pressed her hand against her belly.

“God, I just want to climb inside and fuck you.”

It was then Willow realized that this relaxation game was as much a test for Tara as for Willow.

“What do I want?”

Tara caught her gaze. “Huh?”

“What does my body tell you? I’m all letting-go girl here. I’m not telling it what to do…Uh!”

Tara’s hand had shifted slightly, setting off a big flutter inside Willow. Tara’s eyes were wide. And dark. “I think it’s telling me you need fucking.”

Willow grinned, pulling in slow, steadying breaths. “I think it’s telling you to tease me.”

Tara gave another playful pull and Willow’s hips started moving involuntarily. Tara smirked.

Willow sighed. “Fuck.”

##

Buffy gave a big huff and rolled her eyes heavenward. “God,” she grumbled.

Xander grinned pleasantly. “I don’t know, Buff. I think it has a nice beat. You could dance to it.”

They were, of course, referring to the bed springs overhead. Xander tapped his toes. Buffy covered hear ears in frustration.

“Poor Anya. She must think we’re just the biggest freaks,” she groaned.

Xander wagged a finger at her. “You haven’t spent two solid days with Anya like I have. When it comes to strange and uncomfortable, she’s definitely right at home.”

Buffy sat up on her couch. “I noticed. Like at dinner when she wouldn’t answer anybody’s questions. I mean, she actually pretended not to hear us.”

“She’s a tough nut to crack, for sure. But I think I’m on to her secret. Oh, yes: She was raised by wolves.”

“What must Tara’s cousin think of all this?”

“Uh, that she doesn’t know Tara half as much as she thought she did?”

Buffy was thoughtful a moment. “Tara called off her engagement. Yesterday, I think.”

“No kidding. Huh. Will didn’t mention it.”

“Maybe she didn’t even know.” Buffy rolled her eyes. “Of course, I’m sure Tara’s shared that little bit of news by now. Hey, maybe that’s why all the celebrating.”

“Man, I feel bad for Riley. He’s like the last to know. I mean even the detectives in my department knew. Heck, Will and Tara are like their pinup girls. Sorry, Buff. About your thing with Spike.”

“I told you. There is no thing with me and Spike. We’re not seeing each other. We- ah- shit. Who am I kidding? I’ll just shut up now.”

There was silence punctuated only by the sound of the springs, but even that eventually changed. Maybe they were, you know, done. The low sounds of murmuring drifted down now. Buffy and Xander sat on their respective couches in thought. And then a thought struck Xander.

“Man, if it were me and I was the last to know, I’d be pretty pissed.”

He stopped and felt his stomach drop. “Holy shit. He could know. Spike and The Preacher…”

An iciness settled over both of them. “And if he did know…”

And then the dogs started barking outside.

##

Terrible things to come in PART 10, the final chapter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:30 am 
3. Flaming O

*hyperventilating*
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMFG OMG OMG

you're keeping me on the edge here... please post the next chapter soon!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:02 am 
10. Troll Hammer

well SHIT.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:26 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Well. Are they fucked in the end? I so do understand Tara being pissed with Willow for this whole Ravensbruck action. She put them all in danger. How could she draw so much attention to herself. No good. But than Tara heard her, saw her and was lost again. How could you be pissed with Willow at all? And I really loved how they communicated. The world surrounding them is fucked up and they barely talk, they act primal and urgently like tomorrow won't be for them.

The way you described the whole reaction to Willow's research visit really impressed me. Even if I doubt this could have happened in any way. But you managed to make it interesting. The whole Riley issue is well done, too. He must have done horrible things by now but he is also a person with feelings for his beloved ones. That makes the whole being a murderer thing even more creepy. How could anyone with feeling do such horrible things? For instance Glory is just plain evil.

It seemed to me all the talking and bonding between Buffy and Tara is also a nice reference to canon. Thanks for making Buffy the wonderful friend like you did. She often doesn't get any credits in Willow-Tara-FF. Don't know why.

And Anya? Wonderful too. She is Anya just in a more ancient way. Straight forward and antique. Well done. I wonder if she hooks up with Xander? If they are going to make it. I think if Caleb knows he is living with his nephew his suspicions will make him accuse Xander of homosexual behaviour against a minor.

Both the cliffhangers are hilarious even if they make me wishing you would give us the solution right know. What's Riley really up to? Does he go along with his revenge? Who is it the dogs are barking for? Is it already the showdown with the bad boys capturing everybody or will there be a chance for anyone. There has to be. Therefore I'm glad this is the kittenboard. Otherwise I wouldn't bet a single penny on one of them making it through the last chapter alive.

Please don't let us wait to long. Thanks again for your hilarious updates.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:47 am 
2. Floating Rose

This will be my shortest post ever: OMG! RUN FOR IT! :yikes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:41 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Hello here :)

God I have so much to say! But I don't know what I can say, what I can not, and I am pretty sure I will not sort out everything in a clear order. So first of all, pardon me for the mess I am going to make :)

Of course I was waiting for it, Willow's visit of the camp was traumatic. Yes maths... You can't not do maths.
I thought the camp would make Riley become crazy, and I still think it will.
I see it already started. I really feel bad for Riley. He is seeing horrors through this war, he has lost his fiancée, and he just learnt that he lost her for a Jew! A Jew he spent the day with! So I feel bad for him.
But he is very naïf to think they will spare Tara's life! And I know he was blinded by hurt and anger, but if he had thought just 5 minutes at why Tara would have given her precious ring to Willow, then I am sure he would have not told the SS.
But what is done is done.

Your Glory.... And the visit in itself of the camp... The numbers... everything was well done. It made me think of what Eugénie told me. And the infanticide part too :( ... It has reminded me of a tale pretty horrible, I am not sure I can tell it here, but if you wanna hear it... ask me. Just be warned, it is something quite horrible. As almost everything there huh?
Really your tale of Willow's discoveries are scaringly well done.

But other things, happier things (won't last): Tara and Willow back together after two very long months for them ^^
Thanks for letting them having some good times before the Final which will be very angsty I suppose. But I can't help but think of something I have already suggested an dthat you seemed to not throw away: A bullet killing Calleb (and of course during his work, so he is going to be a heroe...), and everybody live happily ever after... well almost happily. Right? No? Why not? Why do there have to be more angst? lol

So.. about a sequel. I would love one myself, but that's just because I have kind of a problem with fic being over. So... I can't help you with that. I think you should just listen to your imagination... :)

The one I feel the most sorry for is Beth! lol

My brain is running too fast for me too put words here, but I loved this chapter, even if it was horrible. So true... so real... That's where are the scariest things...

Thanks.

Friendly,

Julia

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:52 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

oh holy wow. that's a nail-biter.

i've read fics where will and tara get caught 'in the act"...but by nazi henchmen out to kill them? not so much.

i absolutely cannot wait for the ending. bring it on...angst and all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:07 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hi :)

I normally don't give feedback because I simply lack the right words to give the fics on here the appraise they deserve but I just had to tell you that I really like your fic. It's really amazing!

Keep it up and feel free to write more :)

/Smilis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:36 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Wow, this is so so amazing. I don't know if I took a breath during the whole thing. The camp description was so horrific, and the whole time Willow knowing it could so easily be her living under these conditions, if they let her live at all. The way you described Glory and Dr. Walsh was perfect, so evil.

Now Riley knows, and not in a very kind way, thanks to stupid Caleb and Spike. What did he finally tell them? Oh man, I know he was pissed, but I can't wait to find out, but I'm sure we'll find out soon.

Great smut, really, really great, but I'm so afraid there's going to be some kind of Nazi-interruptus. Ugh, such poor timing for the poor girls.

Again, great job. Can't wait to see what's going to happen.

Wimpy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:15 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wowzers.

War changes people. It can bring out the best, or worst in them. In Willow's case, we see a determination to do everything in her power to stop the atrocities of war. The audacity of the woman, to go into Ravensbruck to take photos for the Allies, knowing she is a hunted woman, that testifies of near-inhuman resolve. You could so easily picture Willow as this towering testament of determination, but then we see Willow on the squeaky bed, and know that every person needs their counterpart.

Tara is the perfect complement for Willow. I loved her little monologue when she wondered if Willow was pulling them all in to their deaths, being the one person all this intrigue swirls around. Realizing that Willow is dangerous, yet being able to love her; this is what makes Tara so special.

I concur with others on the board that I am happy you are writing this on the KB. It means that yes, there may be angst, but there will also be a happy ending. I can hardly wait to see our girls together and happy.

I don't know how long you are waiting to post the last segment, but please don't wait too long!

Cheers on another job well done,
Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:07 pm 
3. Flaming O

Oh no no no no no! Please tell me they get out! :pray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:45 pm 
5. Willowhand

A wonderful penultimate update! You have given us a beautifully intimate family moment sandwiched between the horror of the camp and the harbinger-barking of the dogs.

Willow’s experiences in the camp were absolutely heart-wrenching, especially the encounter with the three Norwegian students. The detail about them keeping their hair was pure genius, as it clearly painted the picture of the psychotic logic at work during that period. And the strength Willow required to keep herself composed during her exchange with Glory must have been immense. I loved your use of Glory here and of Walsh; perfectly cast.

Riley is really the only poor sap in this whole piece. I am glad he has decided to save his own skin. At least it shows some balls. I am still wondering why he didn’t want Tara during that night after the party with Willow and Xander. Was it just because he thought she wanted Xander or was there more to it?

Tara’s anger with Willow was well written. That she would see Willow being selfish and reckless in her pursuit of the truth is understandable. Of course, if she knew of the horrors, she would realise that what is going on in the camps is far bigger than she and Willow. And then the fact that all of this anger and frustration is forgotten instantly upon her reunion with Willow was beautiful.

The exchange between Willow and Beth in the kitchen was priceless. Willow is feeling so safe and at home with Tara after two months apart and after her harrowing experience at the camp that she lets her lesbian-in-hiding guard down!

I can’t wait for to see how it all pans out!!!

P.S. I didn’t notice before that it was HANS Gruber running the newspaper! Maybe Alan Rickman will play him when you make this into a movie!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next