The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Night of Broken Glass --New Fic
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:36 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Long post got cut off. Here's the rest of PART 5

Nigt of Broken Glass--PART 5a

Gruber’s car pulled to a stop outside the tall apartment building. He cut the motor off. Willow flashed him a smile that made him smile back. But there was something in his eyes that said she wasn’t fooling him. Damn. She was a really, really bad liar.

“I’d hoped that a night out would help get your mind off your worries,” he said.

Willow’s smile grew more sincere. “Actually, that was a nice dinner. Much nicer than I was going to have, for sure. And- and it was amazing meeting some of those men…They’re the people who are shaping the nation. They’re like mythological figures you only read about in the newspaper—our newspaper, of course. And there they were in the flesh, with wives and girlfriends and everyday interests, just like anybody else, you know?”

“Yes. I do know. I still feel amazed sometimes to be let into their inner circle. And I’ve been with them, reporting on all the major events from the very beginning.”

“I kind of imagine it’s hard to be both on the inside and be a newspaper man. You’ve got a pretty important job.”

He nodded, then shrugged a bit modestly.

“So, not to be disrespectful or anything, but why invite me tonight? There’s a whole newsroom full of reporters—guys with a lot more experience than I have…and- and a lot more responsibility. Shouldn’t—shouldn’t one of them been here instead?”

Gruber chuckled. “It’s simple. I knew you’d really cherish the chance to meet these people. More than any of the others would.”

Willow had to admit it made an impression on her she was sure the other newsroom hacks would not have had. She also understood he trusted her. And she really needed someone to trust her right now, even if she didn’t deserve it.

“It was just the perfect thing,” she said, meaning it.

Gruber nodded. “But now you need to go patch things up. Your fight from earlier?” He looked like he hoped he was getting the nuances right.

Willow smiled and looked up at the building. “Well, yeah. Though I’m not sure what’s broken can be mended. We- we’re in a pretty difficult place.”

This was something he could do: He could impart fatherly wisdom. So he did: “You’re young. With a few years you’ll have a bit more perspective to know that life’s too short to let wounds fester. Better to do something about it than worry about doing something about it.”

Willow chuckled. “Carpe diem,” she grinned.

“Seize the day. Exactly.”

With that she bid him goodnight and walked up to the front door of the building, taking the steps two at a time. She caught her breath gazing up at the tall wooden doors and then pushed her way through them and on toward the stairs. She took these two at a time for the first two flights and then had to slow down for the remaining three. She was winded by the time she hit the fifth floor, but walked on sure feet to the familiar door and knocked.

A moment later, it swung open to reveal a very surprised Xander. He grabbed her immediately into a tight bear-hug. “Oh my god, Willow! We were so worried about you. Where have you been?”

Over his shoulder she saw that Buffy was there as well, and it warmed her.

When Xander finally released her, Willow replied, “Oh, you know. Hanging with the Big Bad. I was out to dinner with a bunch of Hitler’s muckies and my editor. Seriously. I think I’m going to have an aneurism over how stressful this day has been.”

Xander rubbed her shoulder and led her to a seat on the couch. She felt amazingly relieved to be among friends.

“Yeah, we sort of heard from Tara that, well, you wore out your welcome over there.”

“She’s really mad at me. I feel like an amazing ass. Wait. Did she call you?”

Xander shook his head. “I was kinda phoning to check up on you and got an earful.” He paused. “No, strike that. She was fairly tight-lipped, but my interrogation skills are excellent. I guess my job at the SS is finally rubbing off on me.”

Willow dropped her head into her hands. “She hates me.”

“I apologized for the both of us profusely,” Xander said. “I think she’ll get over it. Either that or she’ll turn us all in.”

“Speak for yourself,” Buffy piped up. “This doo-doo is your doing. You’re the ones who thought pretending to be Nazis was a great idea.”

“Well, guess who else has been chumming it up with the fun-and-guts-loving Gestapo? Our own Miss Buffy Summers.”

Willow suddenly noticed something different about Buffy’s appearance. “What’s up with the hat?”

Buffy looked sheepish. “It’s to, uh, cover up a really bad haircut.”

“How bad?”

Buffy removed the cap she’d been wearing, but no long blond hair tumbled down from beneath it. Willow’s eyes widened as she aligned the image of the Buffy before her to the one she had known for years. “It’s, uh, very Hitler Youth.”

Xander chimed in. “It’s got that tough-but-adorable thing going for it. Not everyone can pull it off.”

“It’s way bad,” Buffy repeated, pulling the cap back down over her head. “How am I going to get a boyfriend looking like, well, a boy?”

“Oh, men will still notice you—just not the kind of men you want to go out with,” Xander teased.

Willow repeated, slack-jawed: “You look like Hitler Youth?”

Buffy nodded. “That’s the idea. It was Xander’s idea, anyway. I have the whole uniform. Cute shorts, suspenders, tie…”

“Why?”

Xander rose to his feet. “Long, long story, Will. And not much of the good, I’m afraid. So I’ll just go and make a pot of coffee and we can settle in for a thorough catch-up.”

While Xander was out of the room, Buffy came to sit across from Willow. She leaned in close, her eyes serious. “The other day, the student arrests—or the first wave of them anyway? I almost got picked up,” she said. “And by picked up, I mean as in firing squad on the quad.”

“I- I looked for your name. At the newsroom. A source called in and gave me your name. And a few others. You know, to print in the newspaper. I kind of, well, I kind of butchered it. I think I referred to you as Betty something.”

Buffy laughed out loud. “No way! I read the story and was seriously wondering who those people were. I’d never heard of any of them.”

“It was very loud in the newsroom. I was having a hard time hearing.”

“Yay for occupational hearing loss.”

“I just thought that you and the others and everybody deserved, you know, another chance. Plus abuse of power? Very heady stuff. I could get used to it.”

Buffy rubbed Willow’s arm. “Thanks.”

“So- so they know what you look like? Is that what’s up with the new you?”

“The detective who asked for my papers. I knew him,” she said. “He pulled a Willow and purposely butchered my name in front of his detective partner. He saved my life. But the other guy’s seen me. And I think now with the second wave of arrests, pretty much everybody who goes to Humboldt is going to be more than ready to sell me out. Did I mention the firing squad on the quad? Killing your classmates on campus tends to freak people out.”

“So you’re moving back a few grades?”

“I really should have paid more attention to my studies. Hindsight.”

Willow grabbed Buffy’s cap. “Let me see your hair, silly,” she said gently. Buffy’s blond hair fell in a lock across her forehead. Willow reached out to tuck it behind her friend’s ear and brushed her fingers through the bristle of the shear-cut swath that ran from Buffy’s temples to her neck. It was soft as velvet.

“Wow,” Willow breathed. “You could be your own brother. I mean, if you had a brother. Which you don’t, but, wow.”

Buffy pushed Willow’s hands away with a self-conscious laugh. “Stop looking at me that way.”

“It’s amazing. You went to a barber shop?”

“Xander did it all. Cut my hair, got me my cool new uniform and my cool new coat.”

“I could do you, too, Will,” Xander said breezily as he came back into the room. He was clearly smug about his craftiness. “It would be like Xander’s Youth Troop. Me in my big uniform. The two of you in your little uniforms. I have so much to teach you.”

“No thanks,” Willow said. “I mean, not that it’s not a good look, because on Buffy it’s definitely a good look. Well, actually, it’s wrong. Really wrong. But in a good way, if that makes sense. But I think I’d rather keep working in the newsroom instead of, well, being the newspaper delivery boy. The pay is better. I- I can get my own place.” She looked helplessly at Buffy. “You could live with me. You’d be my nephew or something like that.”

Buffy dismissed the notion with a flick of her wrist. “Like I’d let you be the boss of me.”

“Hello! Scout-master Xander?”

“Not loving that, either.” Buffy heaved a boyish sigh. It was cute. “I’m not loving any of it.”

Xander grinned, trying to keep it all together. “Ladies. Life on the old hellmouth right now is pretty much a suckfest. Buffy’s going to stay with me. She’s my nephew.” He pointed at Willow who’d made a move to argue over that. “Willow, you don’t even have a place to live right now. Really. Little Buffy needs more stability than that, all right? And, Buffy, if you’d like to earn some extra cash to help out around the Harris household maybe you could take Aunt Wilma up on that paper route job.”

“Fuck this.” Buffy was on her feet pacing the small apartment. “God, I can’t even laugh about it right now.”

The three of them fell into silence. The coffee began to percolate on the stove. The clock on the wall showed that it was nearly midnight.

“So Tara’s really pissed at you?” Buffy finally asked, her back turned as she gazed out the window.

“Yeah. She called the newsroom. I could…hear it…in her voice.”

“The detectives have a photograph of you,” Buffy said, without turning. “They showed me. It was a nice shot, really.”

“That’s bad. They know what I look like and they know I’m going by the name Wilma. Looks like I’m screwed.” But the part that really stung was the part where she’d disappointed Tara. Everything comes back to Tara. Willow shook her head and asked if the coffee was done. She needed sleep, but doubted it would come anyway. Xander moved quietly back to the kitchen.

“The detectives, the ones who approached me, the ones who went to Tara’s apartment, they…” Buffy struggled to find words. Willow watched her friend’s back with growing worry and impatience. “They found Jenny.”

The words hung there until Willow couldn’t stand the very shape of them. “God!” she shouted. “Will this hell never end? Everything we do, everything we touch, it’s just…This detective saved you but he’s gunning for me, like he was gunning for Jenny?” Willow was aware her tone was accusatory. She couldn’t help it. She was choking on tears.

“I know,” Buffy said grimly. “It helps that I know him. But, unfortunately only up to a point. He has a job to do.”

“Why can’t he misplace a couple of files, like Xander does? Sorry, sweetie, I didn’t mean it to sound like you’re not a conscientious worker…Couldn’t your friend, you know, misplace my photo? Or maybe get bored and move on to somebody else? Can’t you talk to him?”

“I can try. But I’ve never had a direct conversation about you or Jenny or Xander or my family or anybody. I just don’t know how much he can do. Good news is that the SS is tied up with rounding up student baddies, and they’ll be tailing Tara, of course, for a while.”

“I’m not going to see her again, am I?” It was the same question she’d asked rhetorically earlier on the phone with Tara and it was just as doubtful now as it was then, if not more so.

Xander patted Willow’s knee. “That’s the least of your worries. In fact, it’s good. Let them follow her. She’s a Good German. She’ll be fine. It’s not like you two have that much in common. Unless your plan is to marry some soldier friend of Riley’s.”

Wow. So wrong. But Willow couldn’t bring herself to say more on the subject of Tara. It was too raw and too complicated. And too depressing. Instead she turned to Buffy. “So what do my Gestapo stalkers look like?”

“They work in my department. I’ll see if I can get photos.”

Willow shot Xander an indignant look, growing increasingly flustered. “You know these people, too? And you can’t find a way to somehow—I don’t know—lose a file, or something like that?”

Buffy jumped in. “Down, Will. We’re all just figuring this out as we go here. And with all three of us in a room together, we have a lot more information than we had a couple of hours ago. The three of us here in the same room? This is of the good. Lots to be thankful for.”

Willow frowned. Damn. If Tara were here the picture would be even more complete. It would all be more complete. Everything kept coming back to Tara.

“I call dibs on the couch,” Willow said, heavily, leaving Buffy and Xander to fight over the bed and the floor.

##

More to come in Part 6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:18 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
June thanks for the previous update on accounta little ol' me *shuffles feet, aww shucks*

I was very suprised to see Donnie not only smirk at Wilma and Tara sleeping together like a little kid with a secret, but also how he lied to the Gestapo. Pleasantly suprising, but still.

I don't know what to say, really. I'm worried becuase you said there would be ten parts to the story, but the end of the rope seems very near for Willow(and the others).
I expected the danger to be spread farther out, but it happens fairly fast. I think that's another one of the things I like about the story so much, is that at the same time things are dragging on(like the breath I am holding this entire time) and happening quickly(the time between killing Jenny and finding Tara at her apartment). It seems Spike is indeed very good at his job. Too good. And I really have no idea what Willow is going to do next. I'm both excited and very nervous.

I have to remind myself that 'yes, i am safe and this is all over by now' when i read this. pretty nervewracking to say the least

*wait anxiously*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:39 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Yeah, the Donnie thing. I just had to imagine that there's a kernal of humanity in everyone. There's the kind of blustery, party line talk he'd give when he thought he had an audience for it, but then fumbling humanity (mixed with self-preservation) wins out when the Gestapo frighteningly knock on the door. He loves his sister. He just wants them to go. And the he second-guesses himself.

As for the pacing, I wanted to see how compact I could make things--almost in a cinematic way where scenes are short and move swiftly.....And you know the Scoobies always wander willingly into danger.

Thanks again, Zooeys_Bridge, for posting. This is fun.

June

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:03 am 
5. Willowhand

I am with Zooeys_Bridge on wondering how things are going to pan out given that we are really only half way through. I am truly hoping for one more illicit meeting between Tara and Willow (with a very close call, to boot) before the fit really hits the shan. Obviously, I know that it doesn’t seem smart for them to try to meet, but when has love ever been smart? So, while the realist reader in me would scream at them to stay home and be safe, the romantic would be screaming “how can you not?” and be loving every second of it!

Tara has a lot of soul searching to do, to say the least. She is half way there by finally realising her obvious lack of love for Riley. She is understandably angry with Willow right now, but I hope she will soon show the same compassion and understanding Willow had with regard to Tara’s opinion and treatment of the Schragenheims. Then she needs to admit how deep her feelings for Willow really are, and what she is willing to do about those feelings. These are huge, life-shattering decisions to make for the poor girl.

I love your characterisation of the Scoobies throughout the story, and particularly in this last chapter. You have completely captured the feel of the Buffy-Xander-Willow relationship from the show and transported it seamlessly to Nazi Berlin.

I too was pleasantly surprised to find Donnie so accepting of his sister’s homosexual dalliance. It is important to show them as real people. These are compassionate humans, not monsters. Is it not true, however, that homosexuals (albeit, usually the gay men) were treated to the same euphemisms as Jews? As such, I am a little worried about Donnie’s admission to the Gestapo about Tara and Wilma. Although, given how the boys all reacted (as boys typically do) to the scent of female sex in the room, maybe there is nothing to worry about!

Thank you so much and I look forward to more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:00 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 1
Hello :)

Wow.. Still intense.

It was a hard day for Willow. And for Tara. But as horrible as it would be for the story, Tara should go to the country. If she disappeared sometimes to the countryland then the SS would stop tailing her.

I don't know what you plan to do but in every case this is going to be very hard for our girls. Hell this is hard for every inhabitants of Berlin.

I am shocked by Donnie. I mean... I don't know what to do of him. He lied and in a way kinda protected Willow, he also said he didn't want to see her dead. But at the same time he is very harsh with Tara.

Oh and I feel bad for Spike. He must feel very bad. Not guilty, but bad. Because he doesn't know the people he kills but he knows that the woman he loves loves those people.

I am also very worried for Xander.

Your fic is very angsty. I love it.

Oh and I would like to say, I have read someone saying it was good that you killed Jenny and Giles in the way that there is horror and you don't make it like it is easy.
So I would like to say I appreciate this too.

Thanks so much for all the updates you give us ^^

Friendly,

Julia.

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:25 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wow. You are updating so fast. When I try to give feedback to one chapter the next is already posted. No complaints her with your pace. I love every bit of it.

This story is so intriguing. You really got me. The way you describe the atmosphere is just hilarious. You are drawing the reader into it. Luckily I never had to endure such times but I can imagine you got a lot of the feelings in the right way.

I so don’t know if I could ever forgive Tara for turning the Schraders/Schragenheims (nice reference to A&J by the way) in. If she really did it, that was a bad thing to do. And honestly I don’t think this is something worth forgiving. It’s a difference between just being a follower – like most germans at this time were – or actually betraying someone.

Getting confused about the Nazi titles and different organisations I so do understand that. It is difficult and I think only experts totally get it right. Futhermore SS and Gestapo belonged to the same department at least in the war years. Head of all the police staff was Heinrich Himmler than. They way I understand it Gestapo was more of a political policy and SS was more kinda a military organisation. But over the years it also mixed. Members of the SS were Gestapo men for example. Very confusing.

Thanks for the explanation about the original names. I really do understand your reasons.

Donnie is another wonderful written character. First I was shocked the way he admitted his sister had an affair with Willow. But than I realized he couldn’t have explained any other way why he threw Willow out of the appartement and he made it very convincing that she isn’t coming back ever. On the other side the revelation is kinda dangerous for Tara. We don’t know a lot about the treatment of lesbians in the III. Reich but the things we know aren’t really pleasant. Some were put into concentration camps wearing the triangle for “asocial people”. And Willow is a jew. For Tara being a man sleeping with Willow would have been a crime in the eyes of Nazi law. But like Donnie the Gestapo men don’t seem to think anything happening between to women can be serious. And as you made quite clear they kinda liked to picture what happened - even Caleb.

Spike? He is even more twisted than in the original series. I hope he get’s what he deserves in the end. He is a murderer. And not for the first time. Interesting how we get a glimpse of what is going on in his head. But I hope you never decide there can anything happen between him and Buffy.

Poor Willow. She is so lost. I can’t imagine the life she has to live. No home, threatened by everyone, everyday. Around each corner they might be waiting for her. Always on the run. And know she lost the last safe heaven she had. At least for one month it was safe. How is she gonna get through all this. It’s more than a year to survive. We know that from todays point of view but she doesn’t know when it ends at all. It’s also very understandable she seems to have a low self-esteem. She seems to be more worried about Tara and the way she may have upset Tara. Maybe that was the worst the Nazis could do to people especially the jews making them feel lower than anybody else. Willow is already defending Tara for her way of thinking.

So beautiful how you described the increasing relationship between Willow and Tara. Beautiful also the love making. Urgent and desperate in one way but also loving and caring in another. It fits into the situation, Willow’s especially but also Tara’s in general. Every spoken word seems to be so carefully chosen. Every reaction is so talkative. Willow is the one who says “I love you”, Tara never said it back ‘til now. For her the physical relation seems to be more important by now. At least she is beginning to discover that she is not in love with Riley.

The whole Giles and Jenny part was brillant, too. Even if I was shocked to loose them so quickly with Giles being dead in a second and Jenny being caught before Buffy and Xander could rescue her. It would be an unconvincing story if everybody would make it ‘til the end. And Jenny died in dignity. I hope she haunts Spike’s dreams as long as he may live.

What I wonder about is Riley. Will he come back? I have a theory why he doesn’t want any physical contact with Tara. If I’m right this may come in handy for the two girls. But maybe I’m totally wrong.

I so wonder how this story is going to progress and I’m looking forward to every update. Thanks, June.

And a lot of greetings from me, sacinema.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:42 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Crikey, I don’t believe how fast the updates keeping coming with this story, it’s fantastic but I keep missing my opportunities to deliver some much deserved feedback.

Anyway, I’m here to make up for it now, suffice to say you definitely haven’t disappointed us kittens with this story, especially those of us who love the period in history.

I love the narrative of this story as it progresses, there are so many good points I don’t quite know where to begin. I was spitting mad when Joyce kicked Willow out of her house, even if she did have her daughter’s protection at heart it still wasn’t the right thing to do.

I’m not sure whether to love Spike or be scared of him, but perhaps I can just say that he is a kick arse character!

Loving the growing emotions between our two girls. I also like how you plainly stated that Tara wanted to have sex with Riley, she doesn’t love the guy, she just wants sex, which is so honest and incredibly human. Given this need, I can completely understand that things move quite fast between Willow and Tara. After all it is wartime and things had to move along fast because people might be dead the very next day. The sex scenes are written damn well, and are exceptionally hot (note to self, should not attempt to read this fic at work any longer!)

Then things seem to move downhill really, really fast, I was holding my breath while the Gestapo were interrogating Donnie and Tara, and I expected Donnie to give the game away straight there, I was quite surprised he didn’t but I’m sure Willow would have that effect on people.

Now that I’m all caught up with this story, I can’t wait for the next chapter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:42 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hi there! Just wanted to jump in here and tell you how much I love this story. My emotions are running amuck. In this horrible time and place, we still have our characters caring for each other, even at the risk of losing their own life. Of course, gotta go with the big hate factor for Caleb, and I'm just confused about Spike, but then again, I think he's like the original character -- evil, but still part of him is wanting to do good.

Your writing is so good it's like I'm really feeling the tension in the air, and I find myself holding my breath at so many parts because I'm scared of what might happen next.

This last one really broke my heart. When Tara called Willow at work, I was in tears by the time they hung up. That was just so terribly painful, and very well written.

I'm loving your frequency of updates, so please do it again soon so we can see what happens next.

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:30 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Sorry, I did forget something. I hope you are not mad at me but I need to give that information. Humboldt University was actually called that way only in 1949. The founding name was Berlin University and since 1828 it was called Friedrich-Wilhelms-University.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:39 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Hi!

I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I like what you're doing here. I share some of the concerns voiced earlier regarding the voice of characters in 1943 Germany sounding like kids from 2001 California, but I respect your choice and would certainly never suggest that you change anything.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to more.

Diane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:18 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Thanks, all, for your very thoughtful comments. Yes, we're at the midway point in the story, and it feels like a good moment to pause and say thanks.

Masterjendu, I'm glad you like the Scoobies interaction. I did, too. It was fun to write and it felt amazingly comforting to have Willow "go home" to Xander and Buffy at this place in the story.

Sacinema, I understand your comment about turning in the Schraders. I felt Tara's role in turning them in came from a place of unempowerment...that Tara probably made an offhanded remark, wondering about them and that Riley went all military-guy and got them euphemized. Tara then, being the compassionate person she is, would need to feel like they went "civilly." Of course, Willow has a more worldly (world-weary) perspective on what that actually means. Darn it on the Humboldt reference! Thanks for catching that....And thanks also for the insight about Willow's self-esteem. I hadn't really thought about it that way--that the Jews would blame themselves for the treatment they received--but I can see that Willow is doing just that, blaming herself for endangering Tara. She feels like she totally screwed up.

Alcy, glad you like Spike. I didn't know going into this project that he'd end up being so fun to write. Good, bad, evil, whatever, all of the above. Thanks also for the nod on the sex scenes. I felt like I had to go all-out in order for the story to work. I went waaayy beyond my comfort zone. I was blushing when I hit the "submit" button and posted them.

Wimpy0729, it broke my heart, too, when Tara called Willow at work...and then Willow had to wander around the rest of the day feeling scared, horrified and devastated.

Thanks again, everyone, for the thoughtful comments...and for sharing in this story with me.

June

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:45 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Night of Broken Glass--PART 6

By Junecleavage

Rating: NC-17 for explicit sex and violence. There’s character death and a lot of close calls.

Uber setting: It’s 1943 Berlin, and the Nazis are the Big Bad

PART 6

Tara stood outside the SS building, looking up at the heavy stone façade, her stomach doing flip-flops. She wasn’t doing anything wrong. Well, except she’d lied to Donnie about where she was going. And the thought of being watched by the secret police made her more than a little paranoid. But she sucked up her courage and followed through on her plan.

She walked into the building and headed straight for the front desk. She asked what floor she could find Detective Blood on. Third. She took a deep breath and headed for the stairs. As she entered the third floor foyer her eyes quickly scanned the room. She let out her breath in relief when she spotted the man she’d come to see. She walked quickly to his desk and stood a moment, waiting for him to look up.

“I- I ha- have something for you,” she said finally.

##

Wow. Xander looked up from his file to find Tara Maclay standing before him. She wore a smart-looking suit under a fur-trimmed wool overcoat. She’d removed her hat. She looked more than presentable. She was easily the most beautiful woman to walk onto the third floor in all his time working here. He was struck speechless. And then his brain finally registered the statement she’d given, the one that made him look up in the first place.

“You have something for me?”

“For Detective Blood, actually,” she said, but her eyes flashed something else. That wasn’t the whole truth.

She raised her arm to reveal a small suitcase. “I thought the authorities should have Wilma Hermann’s property—what she’d left at my apartment, in any case. This is everything. I thought- thought maybe you’d fi-find something helpful among her things. And- and I don’t expect her to come ba-back for them. I’m leaving them with you. I- I trust you’ll know what to do with them.”

Xander stared at her dumbstruck, unable to tell for certain what side she stood on. He came around the desk and reached out for the suitcase she offered. “I’ll make sure Detective Blood gets this,” he assured with an uncertain smile, his heart pounding.

As he accepted the handle, though, he noticed something papery wrapped around its grip. He smiled politely, ignoring it for now.

“Is- is there anything else official that I need to do?” Tara asked, and Xander wasn’t sure what she meant. Was she wanting to do everything by-the-book to avoid becoming further ensnared in The Wilma Hermann Experience?

Xander grinned. “I- I think that about does it. I’ll make sure Blood sees this. Thank you for being so thoughtful to help us.” He paused a moment and she gazed at him expectantly. Oh! He reached onto his desk for a card and quickly jotted down his phone numbers—office and home. He handed the card to her with a quick, “Call me if there’s anything you need, or if you come across anything else that might be…helpful.”

She accepted the card with a smile. Guess he’d guessed right. “Thank you,” she said. Her eyes were warm and relaxed now. She nodded, reluctantly, it seemed, before turning and walking out the way she’d come. Xander watched her go, thinking again how lovely she was. Once she’d disappeared down the stairs, he placed the case behind his desk and unraveled the paper from the handle. It was a small envelope addressed, simply: “Willow.”

Xander mused at that. Tara should have addressed it to “Wilma”—right? Even if the agents had told her Willow’s real name, Wilma was the woman Tara knew, right? Or did Tara know Willow? And if so, how…and what did that mean? He carefully folded the envelope and stuffed it in his pocket.

##

On the way home on the bus, Tara watched out the window, her mind a mess. She was noticing new things. Not just the earliest indications that spring was just around the corner. She noticed a police van parked outside a brownstone and officers escorting a family into it. Was it just a coincidence that she was noticing this today? Had she passed by other similar scenes in the past and not noticed? As the bus clambered by the train yards, she looked at the trains sitting at the station as if for the first time. Every German knew that the police used the trains to transport prisoners to work camps. She watched now, wondering which trains might hold passengers bound for the countryside or Munich and which might be headed someplace considerably more grim. She knew the government must rely on this type of labor to help with the war effort. It was helpful to the nation. But she also had to stop and think about the human toll, to have so many people relocated to these internment camps, where they gave up their worldly possessions and status to be laborers. Were the Schragenheims from across the hall working at just such a camp? She thought about Mrs. Schragenheim, with her arthritic hip and wondered how useful she’d be as a laborer. Her mind would allow her to go no further than that.

She watched everyday people walking along the streets, shopping, working, going about their everyday business. She knew each of them must, as she did, wish every day that the war was over and that the nation could rebuild, that they could share in the prosperity of making a better Germany and a more cohesive Europe. Would things really turn out so rosy in the end? It seemed she was only beginning to appreciate a new level of sacrifice being made to ensure this future: not only were good men like Riley and her brother on the line, and not only did every German citizen have to “do without” in order to save resources for the war. But also now the liberties of the people were being sacrificed. Those of the Jews were the most obvious, of course. But now there was also the liberty of speaking out against the war, which was causing a severe backlash at the universities. Someone on the bus today whispered that the arrests had spread now to universities in Munich. Tara herself was under suspicion and surveillance for actions she’d had no knowledge of. She craned her neck to look at the faces of the other people on the bus. The woman with the crying baby. The young soldier with a duffel bag over his shoulder. The older couple sitting primly, their mouths set in straight lines. Were any of these people under the employ of the SS and tasked with following Tara?

She decided she didn’t care. Or at least she’d not let it cow her into fear. If she was being followed, then fine. She’d show them what an everyday German woman did every day.

##

Spike heaved an enormous sigh. Tara Maclay was a pretty but very boring woman. Aside from that thing with Red, of course. Which, now that he thought of it, put a smile on his lips. You just never can tell a book by its cover.

He’d picked up Tara’s trail after she’d left SS headquarters. The Harris boy had brought the suitcase in to him. The one that Miss Maclay had been so kind to drop off. He’d invited Harris to stay while he checked out its contents. Of course, he was just yanking the boy’s chain. He knew that Red was his friend. Maybe even his girlfriend (though a pretty shitty one, if that were true). So he’d made a great show of inspecting the goods.

“You ever look through something like this before?” Spike had asked the boy.

“A suitcase?”

“No, stupid. Not just a suitcase…evidence.”

Harris shook his head.

“Step up, sonny, and let me show you how the pros go about their investigations.” Spike knew that Xander would be helpless to leave. He’d want to know what Tara had packed in Red’s suitcase. Hell, Spike kind of wanted to know, too, and not in a strictly professional sense.

“So do ladies bring you their luggage often?” the boy joked.

“Don’t I wish,” Spike had huffed. “Or, on the other hand, that would depend upon the lady. This lady? Yes.”

Xander feigned detachment. “Yeah? Why’s that?” For a Jewish sympathizer working for the SS, Harris was a rotten liar. Or maybe just when it came to his chums.

“Well, she’s pretty, for one. Miss Maclay, I’m talking about.” Spike popped open the clasps on the case and opened the lid. “And her lesbian lover Red, too.”

Harris visibly paled and seemed to have some difficulty wrapping his tongue around the word: “Uh, le-lesbian, you say?”

Spike smirked. “Yep. As in girl-on-girl. Miss Maclay’s brother claims he busted in on them. Says he was pretty shocked, actually. Ever know someone who was, well, like that?”

“Uh, shocked?”

“No, dim-wit. Queer.”

The boy’s face was red. “No.”

Well, now you do, Spike had thought to himself.

In the meantime, Xander seemed to be turning the concept over and over in his head without it all adding up. “The lady who dropped off the suitcase. You’re saying she’s a lesbian?”

Spike shrugged. “Part-time one, anyway. Seems she’s engaged to an army officer. So there’s probably still some hope for her. Plus, she was mightily embarrassed when we questioned her about it. She has quite a cute little blush when she’s flustered.”

Xander held his tongue. Spike regarded him a moment.

“Well, enough chit-chat. Let’s see what Miss Tara has packed here for Fugitive Red.” He shot Xander a sidelong glance. “Ever looked inside a lesbian’s suitcase?”

Xander shrugged. “Uh, until today I didn’t know there was such a thing. Seems like there’s a word for everything. And a thing for every word. Go figure.”

Yep, young Mr. Harris blushed when he was flustered, too, Spike noticed. He turned the case around on the desk so they both could examine its contents. Spike bit back a grin as his finger caught the waistband of a pair of women’s panties. He spun them on his finger a moment or two, appreciatively of course, and then put them down. He ran his hands through the rest of the items there. A couple of nice-looking suits. A few other undergarments, and a very pretty black lace dress.

“Apparently the ladies like to dance. I wonder if Miss Maclay wears the pants.”

Spike fully expected Harris to deck him on that one. He could tell the boy was upset. But he kept his cool, saying lightly, “I’ll, uh, just leave you here to your laundry sorting. Thanks for the teaching moment. I learned a lot. And now I’ve got to get back to my desk.”

Spike let out a sigh and shoved the suitcase across the desk at him. “Here. Take it. I’m done. There’s nothing here. Dispose of it in the usual way,” Spike said. But at the last moment he’d grabbed the pair of panties back. “I think I’ll keep these as a souvenir,” he chuckled, spinning them on his finger again before tucking them in his breast pocket where the lace of them stuck out like a fancy handkerchief.

Xander’s eyes were filled with anger, horror and disgust, and he took the suitcase with no comment. The little chummy smile he tried to give fell flat. Spike chuckled inwardly. He’d have to remember to invite Harris over for poker some time.

##

Xander took the stairs slowly. It wasn’t that the suitcase was heavy. It wasn’t. Willow owned next to nothing. But he was still fuming over Detective Blood’s torture. Of course, Blood had no idea Xander knew the ladies whose honor he was wiping his boots on. He was just being the same evil pig he always was. But then, Xander also now had a rather personal thing he wasn’t sure he wanted to know about Willow. Or that Willow would want him to know. Because if she wanted him to know, she’d say something about it, right? In fact, he wouldn’t have believed Blood’s story at all, if it weren’t for the little Willow-addressed letter Tara had passed to him. That had made it all click into place. If there were something important, she’d tell him. He and Buffy and Willow had no secrets, right? The three of them were on the inside of the circle and everyone else was on the outside. That’s why they relied on each other and risked for each other, right?

He composed himself and then opened the door to find Buffy and Willow enacting a warm family tableau in his bachelor apartment. Buffy had on an apron (Where did she find that? Xander didn’t even know he’d had one). She seemed to be actually cooking something in the kitchen. He’d never imagined her cooking. There wasn’t much about her that had ever screamed domesticity. And the teen cross-dresser look just made it seem all the more incongruous.

“You look like I should give you some kind of Scout merit badge. Maybe for science,” Xander quipped. Buffy gave him a playful scowl.

“It just so happens I do on occasion cook things,” she retorted. “I’m just not sure what it is I’m cooking yet.”

“My guess is chicken,” Willow piped up from the table where she was hunched over a stack of textbooks. “She’s been at it a while. And, well, it smells kind of chickeny.”

“I didn’t know I had a chicken. Of course, I didn’t know I had an apron, either, so maybe you happened upon both of them in the same drawer.”

“No drawer,” Buffy chirped. “Auntie Willow took me to the butcher shop. And now, what a good auntie, she’s helping me with my homework.”

Xander put down the suitcase by the door. “Homework? Like a wanted political fugitive can turn in homework assignments?”

Willow looked up sheepishly. “Nah, it’s just me. I needed something to do to keep my mind off, well, other things. And, hey, I’m all about doing homework that never gets turned in. The whole learning for learning’s sake thing?”

Xander took a seat at the table across from Willow and pulled the little envelope from his coat pocket. His voice was gentle. “Uh, Tara dropped by my office today.”

Willow’s eyes went wide with what? Surprise? Fear?

“She brought your suitcase…and this.” He slid the envelope across the table and watched her expression brighten at the loopy letters that spelled her name.

“She- she brought you my suitcase? As in she walked right into SS headquarters and gave it to you?”

“Up three flights of stairs, and yes.” Xander smiled. “I had to let the detective take a look inside the suitcase—you know, for clues or whatever. But then I was told to dispose of it in the usual manner, which I took to mean I could bring it home to you.” He decided to omit the part about Spike keeping a pair of her panties. He’d felt violated enough just watching the bastard go through her things. He couldn’t imagine how Willow, the owner of said things, would take that nasty bit of…nasty.

Willow looked grateful and puzzled and worried. “The letter. Did they…?”

“She gave me the letter separately. I haven’t opened it. It was addressed to you.”

She smiled thoughtfully and nodded. “So it is.” She fumbled with it nervously, as if she were afraid to open it. Or felt awkward opening it. “How did she…? I mean was she…okay?”

Xander nodded. “She was fine. She really looked great. Walked in like she owned the place. Not nervous at all—well, except for the nervous stutter. But then that’s just part of her charm. She took my home phone number. Maybe she’ll call.”

Their eyes met in kind of a quiet understanding. He wanted her to know he knew and that it was okay. He rubbed her hand affectionately and rose to his feet. “I think I’ll go see what chickeny dish the young master is preparing for dinner.” With that, he left Willow to herself. And her letter.

##

The last letter Willow received had been Buffy’s mom kicking her out of their house. So her heart pounded wondering what this one might contain. There were any number of reasons that might have spurred Tara to write. For example, maybe she needed to rationalize to herself why it was for the best that she and Willow be apart. Or- or maybe she wanted closure, or whatever. A more formal and wordy good-bye than was possible during their brief telephone exchange. Then there was the possibility she’d say that what had happened between them was a fluke—hopefully of the nice variety, as opposed to something hellfire-and-brimstoney—and that this was the sort of thing they’d both get over. God, she’d die if Tara went on about Riley and how she’d suck it up and marry him and be happy about it, too. Maybe she’d try—and fail—to be more sensitive by suggesting Willow look for some other girl who was more like her and shared more of the same interests. You know, like, survival? Or maybe she’d make Willow’s stomach tie in knots by saying that she missed her. Yeah, longing was probably the worst thing Tara could express. Because that would just fuel hope for something hopeless. Willow felt her face redden. There was no way this could turn out good.

Xander tipped his head out of the kitchen. “Will. You’re over-thinking again. Just open the thing.”

“It’s- it’s what I do: I think. I’m an over-thinker. And I kinda think I’m going to die.”

“Get the squirrels in your attic off the treadmill and open it. Tara cares about you. How bad could it be?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t thought it through…”

“Will, she brought you your underwear…”

Willow shot him a look.

“…which I so totally did not rifle through or even touch…and, uh, now I’m going to shut up.”

Buffy yanked him back into the kitchen, and Willow turned back to the letter.

What she didn’t know was that this was only one of two letters Tara had written and sent this day.

##

A letter from Riley had arrived in the morning mail. Donnie had pulled it from the mailbox with a smile and deposited it on the table before Tara.

“A letter from your future husband,” he said a bit too chipperly, she thought. She’d be glad when he was gone. Which was a terrible thought, considering that meant she wished him to go back to the eastern Front, which she certainly did not: She just didn’t want to be here with him. It was too hard. They were quickly accumulating animosity between them.

She took the letter to her bedroom and climbed up onto the bed. She hadn’t changed the sheets. On purpose. She wanted Willow around her—or at least something of Willow around her—and especially now as she read the letter. She slipped her fingernail under the flap and pulled the letter out. It was relatively short. She smiled as she recognized Riley’s handwriting.

“Dear Tara,

“I’m writing for two reasons. First, I feel the need to say how sorry I am about the way we parted. You are my lifeline, my everything when I am out here. I feel so far away from anything human or safe or kind or civilized, and it helps immeasurably knowing you’re at home where everything is familiar and normal. It helps me to know that you’re carrying on with everyday living when everything here is so surreal and frightening. You are my rock. I love you. You’re the bright and shining future I hold on to. You’re the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last thing I think of when I go to sleep. I’m sorry to be away so long and that you worry so much about me.

That’s why my second piece of news should brighten your spirits a bit. I’ve been transferred to a new post. Instead of fighting on the Front Line (guess I’m being rewarded for serving my time here), I’m headed for an administrative post at Ravensbruck. It’s a collection camp for women prisoners of war and their children. Mostly Gypsies and Jews. It’s not too far north of Berlin. So I’m hopeful that from time to time I’ll be able to make it back to Berlin for short visits. And you won’t have to worry about me being in the line of fire. I’m headed there immediately, and I’ll write again soon. Take care. I love you.

Riley

Tara fixed her gaze out the window, trying to imagine what it could mean that Riley was coming off the Front and closer to home. She felt immense relief. She’d always feared the worst for him, and now he’d be out of danger. Ravensbruck sounded like a much better place. She didn’t know much about the camps. Germans tended not to think too much about them. She knew there were many, and that for the most part they were collection points for captured enemies who were put to work to support the German war effort. She imagined they were hard places to be—difficult to keep peace and order—but she had never heard or read anything else about places like that, so it was hard to picture what his new job would be like. That Riley was going to be an administrator at a women’s camp gave her some hope. He’d be safer. It would be easier for him. He deserved that.

But what did it mean that he’d be closer to home? She looked around her room as if looking at it for the first time. She’d be leaving in a few days—a week tops, maybe. She’d close up these rooms, and along with them her life here. Riley and Willow. A chapter ending? A new one beginning?

She went to her dresser and retrieved some writing paper and a pen and went to her desk.

“Dear Riley,

I’m extremely relieved to hear you’ve been transferred someplace much safer. I know I’ll sleep better at night not worrying about you out there. Please see what you can do to get my brother transferred there with you! I know it’s not as easy as that, but I worry about him, too. He’s been here the last few days home on leave. We’ve discussed closing up the house and having me go out to the country to stay with Beth until things cool down here. So it may take a while for your next letter to reach me if you’ve addressed it here. I’ll be sure to leave instructions for the mail to be forwarded.

I know you love me. It’s good to hear you say it. And I’m sorry, too, for how we left things. Sometimes I just get angry at having so little of you. I think I took that out on you. I hope it wasn’t too much of a burden on your mind. I want you focused on keeping your head down. Don’t let thoughts of me distract you from what’s important.

With love,
Tara

She slid out a second sheet of paper and addressed it to Willow.

The things she wanted to say to Willow she had no words for. Or perhaps that wasn’t entirely true, because she’d said some of them aloud. The rest, though, existed more in muscle memory and impulse, in touches both sweet and urgent, in scents and tastes and in sounds decidedly nonverbal. She felt a heat rise in her cheeks as she stared at the page, letting her defenses down gradually, shyly, as if a button at a time. The things she wanted to say were there, just beneath her skin. If only she could will them to flow through ink the way they naturally did through her blood.

“Willow,

You’ve been gone for only hours and it seems like forever. I can’t stand it. I’m sitting here in my bedroom and it feels like our bedroom. It is our bedroom, and I’m wishing you were here. I hope you don’t mind that I’m keeping the slip you wore the other night. In return, I’m sending you something of mine to wear.

And this is either the most foolish thing in the world or the bravest. But I love you. I need to find a way to see you.

You’re not going to like this next bit: Donald is making me close the house and go out to the country. I’ve convinced him to let me stay a week or so before I go. You’d said something once about wanting to ride horses? Maybe there’s some way you could visit. I don’t know how. And please—though you’re clever enough to find some way out there—don’t come if it’s too much of a risk. I can travel more easily back and forth.

My brain is going over a hundred different plans for how to make this work. I don’t know if it can. But it’s all I can think about. You’re all that I can think about. I have to know what this is. I can’t lose you. I only just found you. My need of you…it staggers me.

Yours.
Tara

##

Willow’s heart was pounding. She’d sat holding Tara’s letter for what seemed like a half hour. She’d read and re-read the thing, absorbing everything about it: the words, the loveliness of Tara’s handwriting, imagining Tara sitting in her bedroom writing the thing, imagining what she must have been thinking when she wrote it, what she must be feeling now, wondering what she was doing right now. It was past 9 p.m. Dinner was over and she and Donnie would be reading the paper, right? And, mostly, she was near exploding at the thought that Tara wanted her in the same way she wanted Tara. This was all something marvelous and new, and, yes, she’d ride a damn horse if she had to just to be near her. In fact, she’d risk very much. In fact, if Xander and Buffy weren’t here right now she’d slip out the door and over to Tara’s--and damn the secret police, anyway. In fact, she could wait until her friends were sleeping and slip out then. She’d keep to the shadows. She’d wear a dark coat and hat…Thoughts like these kept tumbling in her mind. Each plan more outlandish than the previous one. She even contemplated borrowing Buffy’s Hitler Youth costume, except it was bedtime for all the little junior stormtroopers…She dropped her head in her hands, frustrated with the intensity of wanting to be there instead of here.

Buffy bustled into the room and stopped short. “Oh, no,” she breathed, her eyes like saucers. “Who died?”

Willow looked up and met a gaze that was absolutely serious and absolutely terrified. Of course. It was the first conclusion any of them would jump to at the sight of emotion. She laughed. It started as a chuckle and then grew. Buffy relaxed and joined in. The tension they’d been holding, trying to keep their shit together with first Giles’s and then Jenny’s deaths, slowly released. Their laughter was the equivalent of whistling past the graveyard.

“Nobody died. Tara…It was the sweetest letter anybody’s ever written me.”

“So you’re…happy?” Buffy looked like she was trying to guess at charades. Had she guessed right?

Willow nodded, though she knew Buffy could spot the sadness there, too, of course. That girl had an intensity of focus that was sometimes a bit unnerving.

“Yeah. I know that happy tends to look all unhappy these days. But this is definitely happy. And kind of sad, too, I guess.”

“Is it more happy or more sad?” Buffy seemed to be testing this notion of shades of un-happiness.

“Definitely more happy. Until I think about it and then it all feels hopeless. That’s where the sad comes in. Oh, and there’s definitely some mad in there, too. I’m really pissed at Hitler right now. I think I just may have to misspell his name in the paper.”

“You mean something like Shitler?” Xander had come in again, carrying a stack of plates and silverware. He motioned for Willow to move the textbooks so he could set the table for dinner. The air was indeed smelling rather chickeny, and Willow was famished. “All assholes get what they deserve in the end, and he’ll get his,” Xander said lightly.

“Yeah, but I hope it’s kinda soon because I don’t know how many more nice people I can watch get what that asshole deserves.”

“Here, here,” Xander agreed. He looked first to Buffy who seemed deep in thought and then at Willow who seemed equally in her own world and wanted to bridge the gap among the three of them somehow. “Wait! I have just the thing to make this little dinner perfect.”

Buffy and Willow finished setting the table. Buffy presented her roasted chicken and potatoes, laying them at the center of the table. And Xander brought in three glasses and a tall bottle of what appeared to be Polish Vodka.

“Where in the world did you score something like that?” Buffy chuckled disbelievingly. It was hard to get coffee, let alone imported liquor. And people these days seemed like they could use a healthy supply of both.

“Buffy’s friend Spike at the SS office gave it to me today. After he made me promise to come to his next poker game. Well, and that was after he made me help him go through…uh…some evidence…from one of his cases.”

Willow frowned and looked at Buffy. “Which one is Spike, again? Is he the SS guy Dawn said you were seeing?”

Buffy looked shocked. “I am not seeing Spike. He and I have…Well, I don’t know what we have. A sometime thing, maybe.”

The color was rising in Xander’s face, and it wasn’t from embarrassment. Willow motioned to the meal lain out before the three of them and suggested they eat it. They took their seats in silence and spent a moment dishing up plates. Xander opened the bottle of vodka and liberally poured for the three of them. He slammed his shot, his face still red.

Buffy grasped his hand, and then Willow’s, nodding for them to do the same. Willow took Xander’s hand in her own. Prayer time?

“Ok,” Buffy began. “The three of us. We’re a team. We’ve been a team all along. And the three of us together are going to help keep each other from, you know, getting what Hitler deserves.” She looked at both of her friends solemnly. “Amen.”

Willow’s voice was light, though she definitely caught the tension in the room. “That was a really nice way to keep the prayer, you know, secular.”

Buffy shrugged. “As far as I can tell, religion is a perpetrator in this whole war and ethnic cleansing thing. I think the God everyone invokes is really a hell-god. For all the good that’s doing, I prefer to place my faith in myself. And a couple of people I care most about in this whole stupid world.”

With that, Buffy and Willow swallowed down their vodka.

“Ok, that was some good stuff,” Willow nodded. “The Poles know their potatoes. Very nice of your friend Spike to score you a bottle.”

Xander’s face was still dark. “Her ‘friend’ Spike is the guy who wants you dead,” he said flatly.

Willow blinked, and Buffy sighed heavily.

“Of course, Xander. Everybody at the SS wants me dead. I’m a Jew and therefore in need of cleansing. It’s ok. I don’t take it personally any more.”

“You don’t understand. Spike. Killed. Jenny. And he’s the guy who showed up at Tara’s for you. He’s the detective. William Blood. He’s probably out there right now tailing Tara waiting for the two of you to slip up.”

The room was starting to spin with fragments of new information.

“Whoa,” Buffy said. “What do you mean that he’s waiting for Tara and Willow to slip up? Slip up how?”

“Wait,” Willow interrupted. “What do you mean you’re having a ‘sometimes thing’ with the guy who killed Jenny?”

Yeah, she’s having sex with the guy who is going to kill you.”

Buffy shot back at Xander: “And what do you mean you’re going to play poker and chum around with this guy if he’s so bad? Which I’m not denying—the bad part--by the way.”

Who first? There was so much that needed to be said.

Buffy downed another shot of vodka and decided to go first.

“Spike is not my boyfriend. He’s not my lapdog. He’s bad. He’s in it all for himself. I pay him money and he gets me papers. Ironically, he arranged to get Jenny and Giles’ papers. Anyway, he’s not someone we can trust. But who knows? Maybe he’s got just enough of a soul to let things slip every here and there. Like he let me pass when he and his partner had me cornered at the university fair and square. And he showed me your picture, Willow, because I think he wanted me to know he was following you and that he knew what you looked like.”

“He knows I’m your friend?” Willow’s voice was small and troubled. “Should I even be anywhere near you?”

“I think he’s cutting us some slack, but he’s SS, so he can’t let us completely off the hook. He has that partner…”

“The Preacher,” Xander filled in. “Creepy black eyes. Way more evil than Spike. Spike just thinks he’s bad. That Preacher Caleb is the real deal.”

“So that means The Preacher would probably turn on your friend Spike in a heartbeat if he thought something were amiss,” Willow ventured.

“Maybe. They’re all a bunch of jackals,” Xander grumbled.

Willow turned to Xander. “So you work with them. Do you think Spike knows you’re Buffy’s friend, too?”

Xander pondered this a long moment. “God, I hope not. He’s always treated me the same way: like I’m a doorstop. Well, until today.”

“What happened today?” Buffy asked.

Xander and Willow exchanged glances. Buffy nodded at him. “Come on. Let’s get everything out. No secrets.”

“Well, today, he invited me over for poker. But that wasn’t until after he had me help him rummage through the suitcase Tara brought in for Willow.”

Buffy shook the cobwebs from her head. “Tara walked into SS headquarters with a suitcase for Willow?”

Xander sighed. “She played the game. Handed it to me with instructions to give it to the lovely Detective Blood. But she was palming a letter for Will when she handed it over. I kept the letter to give Willow. And gave the suitcase to Spike. He and I had a bonding moment over your underwear. Which I’m so very sorry about! I am trying to black out those memories! God help me! But after a cursory look through your things he gave it back to me. To dispose of. I suppose he could have known I’d bring it to you. Maybe he even wanted you to have it. I’m just really confused. He should be here right now if he really knew I was a part of this. I have student dissident Buffy and Jewish fugitive Willow staying at my apartment eating chicken and drinking vodka.”

“So maybe he is cutting us some slack,” Buffy said. “Did he say anything else?”

Xander looked uncomfortably at Willow.

“He, uh. He told me some things about you and Tara I’d rather not repeat.”

Willow felt the heat rise up into her face and her stomach did a flip-flop. “What did he say?”

Xander wouldn’t meet her eyes. It took him a moment to put the words together: “He said you and Tara are, uh, close.”

“Close?” Buffy’s eyes narrowed.

Xander let out a deep breath. “He said you are Tara are, uh, lovers.”

There was a pause and then Buffy jumped in. “Well, that just sounds like Spike yanking your chain, Xander. Just typical bullshit…”

“It’s true.” Willow’s voice was barely a whisper, but she didn’t look away. She looked at her friends helplessly. “…And it gets worse. I’m in love with her.”

She kept going, fueled by fluster. “And see, this is wherein the happy and sad thing becomes an issue. Because she loves me, too. Even though I totally lied to her about the Jewish thing, and her brother is sending her to live out in the country, and now the Gestapo is following her around. Oh, and I’m screwing up her thing with Riley. I just couldn’t help it. And her letter to me—the one she gave to Xander—it’s clear she can’t help it, either. She loves me. She wants to see me.”

It took a couple of moments of silence and toe scuffing on the floor, but then her friends got over the initial shock of Willow’s confession. Xander smiled softly, tipping the vodka bottle to fill Willow’s glass again. She really looked like she needed it. “You’re a very lovable person. I’m glad that someone finally sees it and appreciates you for it.”

Buffy was more pragmatic. “I hope this whole thing isn’t a trap.”

Willow looked at her hands, feeling flustered and wrung out. Wasn't evreything a trap? Did that even matter? She had the one thing that made all the risk worth it. And Tara's letter proved that Willow had it. That piece of paper suddenly was the most valuable thing Willow owned.

##

More to come

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:10 am 
5. Willowhand

Another beautiful update.

I like how you're playing with pace in this story. Now things have slowed down--like the deep breath before the plunge!

The interaction between the Scoobs was again, spot on. Most especially, Willow's heartfelt and unabashed confession of love and her friends' open reactions to it, with Buffy as the pragmatist and Xander's soft smile and beautiful sentiment (he is the heart of the operation, after all). Perfect characterisation!

Tara's letter to Riley was interesting, as was his letter to her. They were both somewhat formal but still caring and familiar (like poster children for a soldier at the front-woman waiting back home relationship). It must have been very difficult to write back to someone who doesn't know you don't love him anymore when you are only thinking about the person you love. It would have been easy for (you to write) her to be much more cold and distant, but I like how you've shown her humanity once again. She obviously cares for him and she wouldn't be the Tara we (and Willow) know and love if she could just dismiss him.

And of course the letter to Willow was stunning, or should I say staggering? I love that she has given and taken something to wear. That was a nice romantic touch.

Thank you for continuing!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:44 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Again a good update. Sad and happy at the same time.. Like Willow feels.

I kind of feel bad for Riley.. He is going to see horrors...

As strange as it may appear I still think it is a good idea for Tara to go at her cousin's.
The prospect for them to see each other is as scary as wanted. I mean we all want them to see each other.. but it is scary because of the SS.

Still very interesting story.

Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Friendly

Julia

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:12 am 
10. Troll Hammer

oh, wow.

what to say, what to say.
Quote:
like the deep breath before the plunge!
very ominous indeed. quite scary, actually. this whole update made me more nervous than the two before it.

i'm glad everything got said between xander, willow, and buffy. they really needed to clear some things up and now is not the time to have secrets.

how in the frilly heck is willow going to see tara?

wonderful wonderful :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:59 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Wow, another wonderfully quick update. I love how you're moving this along.

Tara's letters were interesting. I think the one to Riley was done with her head, and the one to Willow was done with her heart. I had to read it several times too because it was so sweet. But it does have me scared because they're both trying to, of course, figure out ways to see each other, yet they know the bastard SS guys are probably watching Tara's every move. I think it may be time for some more of Xander's make overs, like maybe a new hair color for Willow.

I'm glad everything is out in the open between them, and that Buffy and Xander are accepting of what Willow told them. Now they all know that can't really trust Spike, and I don't blame Buffy for thinking things could be traps. It's probably safer that way.

Great job again. Can't wait for more.

Wimpy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:25 pm 
3. Flaming O

another great update!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:49 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Why couldn't I have discovered the Kitten Board years ago? Oh, right, I didn't even know Buffy existed back then. I guess now I can make up for lost time.

Junecleavage, you are amazing.

I'm sitting here at my keyboard, trying to come up with the right words to say how your story made me feel. I read the whole thing this morning (when I was supposed to be house cleaning), and the pace of the story was shocking! I loved how Tara went into Willow's room to comfort her after the death of Giles and then things just happened.:wtkiss You write like a pro.

I also love the fact that the whole Scooby gang is here. I'm eagerly waiting for the next post, also wondering how are Willow and Tara going to make it?

Now stop reading this, and get back to work! ;-)

Tara the Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:12 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Tara the Phoenix,

You and I are in the same boat. In fact, we joined kittens on the same day, I see. Like you, I'm a late bloomer, only having stumbled onto the whole Buffy series about a year ago. I can't believe I'd missed it. I always knew I'd love it. It just took me a long time to get around to it. I'm making up for a bit of lost time, here, too.

I'm glad you like the story. And, yeah, here I am at work posting when I should be, well, working...so I know a thing or two about procrastination as well.

Best,

June

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:17 pm 
3. Flaming O

Goddamn, you actually have a mix of my favourite things. BtVS, W/T, a freakin' HISTORY lesson, for which I am eternally grateful, aaaaand W/T. And good writing. Excellent writing, as a matter of fact. Interesting about Tara's enhanced race-sensing nose. Absolutely LOVED the scene in chapter 4, and I think you've captured the reality of your setting perfectly: a group of incredibly screwed friends in the middle of WWII. I like how you also indicate which year this story takes place in without being really obvious, like having a Dear Diary scene just for the sake of giving the year, and I like how you got the title from Krystalnacht too. I really think Joyce and Dawn haven't gotten enough time in the fic, but that's up to you. I' mactually wondering if there'll be appearances from any other Buffyverse characters, like Angel, Wesley, Gunn, Fred, Anya (YAY!), Cordy, Drusilla, Darla or Oz. I'm actually half-expecting Angel as a sort of neighbourhood hero, helping the helpless and all that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:35 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hi June

another wonderful update. Tara is one fine woman here. Totally brave. And I really could imagine her walking straight into the lions den. I so would have loved to see Xander's face when he discovered Tara right in front of his desk. I'm sorry, I missed the subtle hint Tara only gave to Riley about the Schraders. Maybe she wasn't aware how he would react to that. These times were not easy for anyone.

There were some things in this update you described with such skills. For instance the whole brief scene. First we see Willow fidgeting about the letter. Than we see Tara writing it and again Willow reacting to it. That's what good writing is to me. And the subtle but very clear differences between the two letters Tara wrote. To Riley his letter must seem like a love letter whereas the true love letter was the one Tara wrote to Willow. Just the tiny difference between "With love" and "Yours" at the ending. Nothing more has to be said.

Riley seems to be more than a soldier maybe he is a member of the Waffen-SS kinda the stormtroops of the SS? And I wonder if we will see him actually being a "guard" in Ravensbrück. If this doesn't open his eyes I don't know what will.

Willow is such a lovely character, so young and also so fragile. No wonder after all these years of living in fear. My heart nearly broke with the last sentence about her most precious property Tara's letter. In another setting this would be only totally romantic in Willow's setting it is heartbreaking. Because it is one of the few posessions she has left.

We will see if it's the wisest choice for our friends sharing Xander's appartement. At least Spike must know where the friends are staying. And he is not a reliable person. In my point of view Spike is even worse than Caleb. With Caleb you know where to stand. He would even betray his own mother. With Spike you'll never know what he'll do. He might be helpful but he never could be trusted.

Anyway it is a good feeling the friends are staying close and understanding to each other. Even with their secrets. I so love that in your story Buffy and Xander are the good friends like they used to be in the series. To often for my liking in W/T-stories escpially Buffy get's along very bad.

Thanks again for sharing. Can't wait for more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:44 am 
2. Floating Rose

Hi all,

Thanks again for your comments.

Masterjendu: I love Xander. I'm glad you enjoyed the Scoobies' interaction at the end there. He is definitely always in Willow's corner. And Buffy's too. And, yes, it was interesting writing the letters back and forth among Riley, Tara and Willow. I worried a bit that Tara's letters were too short, but every words is important. In her letter to Willow, it's the first time she tells Willow she loves her. Somehow, she's found her words, finally. It made sense to me that they'd be short and sweet.

Sacinema: I love how you say that Tara is one fine woman here, walking into the lion's den...because this is where she is finally taking action with all the facts before her. She is making decisions. And so she's knowingly walking in. She's a brave girl. Now the secrets have all come out on the table for the Scoobies and for Tara. In knowledge, there's strength and in togetherness there's strength.

Minishrink: I do still have some characters up my sleeve. You'll meet them shortly.... And thanks for the nod about the title of the story. There's something truly horrifying about political propaganda, and referring to the night of rioting and turning on the Jews as "The Night of Broken Glass" does so much to minimize what happened and its significance. Willow carries that night with her always, and all of the characters are dealing with its aftermath here many years later. Those Nazis and their love of language!

Lilkitty1389: Thanks for your encouragement. I will keep the updates coming.

Wimpy: Yes, Wlllow and Tara want to see each other. Before Willow reads Tara's letter she muses that longing is probably the worst thing Tara could express, because it would fuel hope. And recklessness, perhaps?

Zooey's Bridge: I'm glad you liked the slow-up in pace here. There's definitely a plunge into the deep end coming. With regard to Willow and Tara finding a way to see each other, you have to remember we're talking about Willow, who can hack into just about anything.

Julia: I'm glad you feel kind of bad for Riley. I do, too.

June

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:58 am 
2. Floating Rose

Hi kittens. Another story update. This one short and sweet...For angst-lovers, worry not...there's much more bad stuff up ahead.

Night of Broken Glass--PART 7a

by Junecleavage

It's Berlin 1943, and the Nazis are the Big Bad

PART 7a

“So how do you like your lunch?” Xander asked his date. He was in uniform from the office, enjoying the ambience of the nice hotel restaurant as a break from the boring sandwiches he usually ate at his desk. And enjoying the company of Tara. The young woman was distracted. She kept looking over her shoulder, as if the long days of being followed by the secret police had trained her to be overly cautious and scared. She hadn’t eaten a bite of her food. Xander would have been offended, but then he understood what she was feeling. He knew that Tara would foot the bill anyway. And he was more than happy to spend a little time with her even if her thoughts were a bit elsewhere.

“So you said that Spike and The Preacher are on another assignment today?” she asked with some trepidation.

Xander nodded. “I make it my job now to know their agenda. That’s not to say that they wouldn’t change their minds and follow some other lead if one presented itself. But Spike’s been a fairly regular kind of guy as of late. And their focus is really on the universities right now.”

“I can’t believe how many people they’ve rounded up. Where are they taking them?”

Xander frowned, not certain Tara would really want to know. But then, after the Vodka and Chicken Summit at his apartment a few days ago they’d all agreed to be completely honest with each other. He took a deep breath. “I think the first wave—the folks they rounded up in the first two or three days--they executed on the spot. Buffy watched one of her friends get shot right in front of her. Unfortunately that same friend was keeping our Gypsy friend Jenny at her house. And that’s how Jenny got caught…”

Tara looked upset as she took in the information, but she held his gaze, so he continued. “The men, they’re sending to Bergen-Belsen in the west. The women I expect will go to Ravensbruck north of here. That’s the women’s concentration camp.”

Tara grimaced. “That’s where Riley’s stationed now. He sent a letter saying he’s been assigned to administration there.”

Xander pondered that a moment. “Huh. Better than the front lines. For Riley, anyway. But those camps I hear are pretty depressing places. They have a hard time controlling illness. A lot of people get sick.” For Tara’s sake, he tried to keep the contempt out of his voice. Concentration camps were a travesty. There was talk that the government was setting up “death camps” in Poland to deal with the millions of undesirables they were accumulating on their eastward march.

Tara nodded unhappily. Xander was saying aloud—and rather casually—some of the things she’d worried about when she’d first heard Riley’s news. Her fiancé might in fact make it home alive after the war. But there was no way he was going to come home unscathed.

“Any idea how long the student campaign will last?”

Xander shook his head. “I’m not privy to any strategy talk. I just know the things I hear in the halls after the fact. I expect they’ll keep at it for a while. It takes time to root out their targets. And they want to be sure that people don’t forget this. They’re making a statement.”

Tara’s eyes drifted around the room again.

Xander smiled. “Don’t worry. She’ll be here,” he said, reaching across the table to pat Tara’s hand.

Tara smiled at him. “I know she’ll be here. I just don’t like all the uniforms is all. Makes me nervous for her…And me, too, I guess. And you.”

“We’ve made it this far by blending in with the crowd. Willow’s a clever girl. Besides, she has Buffy and me to help make sure everything’s ok.”

Just then a woman passed brusquely by their table, moving in a straight line for the back of the restaurant. Tara glanced up to see a long black coat and a black hat. No red hair. She frowned in disappointment.

“How will I know when she gets here?” Tara asked.

Xander’s face was impassive, but his eyes smiled. “That was Willow. Wait a minute and then follow her.”

Tara looked surprised, clearly trying to reconcile the matter-of-fact woman who walked by with the girl she knew.

Xander chuckled. “She’s got the full Wilma thing going today.”

Tara blushed and she swallowed hard, like it took everything for her to remain seated. Then she quietly collected her coat and purse and rose to her feet, sparing Xander one last glance. “Thank you,” she whispered, squeezing his shoulder affectionately.

“Think nothing of it,” he said. “Maybe we can meet again for lunch some time. When you make it back to the city.”

“I’d like that,” she smiled, meaning it. And then she was gone, walking her own confident beeline to the back of the restaurant.

Xander reached for the check. She’d left money there to pay the bill. He waited patiently for the waiter to come, humming to himself a bit.

##

Tara pushed open the door to the women’s lounge, her heart in her mouth. There inside was Willow. She’d dropped the coat and hat and was standing at the mirror powdering her nose. The bright look she gave Tara as the door swung open almost knocked Tara over. Her eyes were round and hopeful. And filled with desire. Tara knew that Willow’s expression must have mirrored her own.

Tara trained her hearing to determine whether they were alone. They were not. She slid into the room and joined Willow at the mirror, fumbling to find a lipstick or something in her purse so that they might both appear to be occupied by the sort of activities women do in places like this. Willow smiled and leaned into Tara’s shoulder in a happy nonverbal hello, sending tingles through her body at the contact.

A woman left the restroom stall behind them and went mechanically to the sink, washed her hands quietly and then left. As the door swung closed, Willow caught Tara’s eye in the mirror, her look slyly darkening from detachment to need, and she grabbed Tara by the arms, pushed her up against the back of the door and kissed her. Tara circled her arms around Willow and pulled her in closer, needing to feel the contour of them together, almost as if verifying their coupleness by testing the familiarity of the way their bodies fit. Willow shifted, locking herself firmly in place.

“God, I’ve missed you,” Willow breathed into her ear, slipping to nip at Tara’s throat.

“I had to see you.”

Willow kissed her words into Tara’s skin. “I know. I had to see you, too. Need you.”

“How long do we have?”

Willow slipped back, pulling Tara with her to the mirror again. “I don’t know. Maybe a couple of hours?”

A moment later the door swung open again, this time admitting a small woman in a heavy black head scarf. It took Tara a moment to realize it was Buffy. Willow was grinning as Buffy held out her hand and deposited a key in Willow’s palm.

“Don’t say I never did you any favors,” Buffy quipped, a smug smile on her face. She turned and gave Tara a quick hug. “Be good to my girl, “ she said and then slipped back out the way she came.

Tara blushed as she caught the drift of the plan. Willow gazed happily at her in the mirror. “You go up first. I’ll be right behind you. Hurry, though. I’ve missed you.”

Tara accepted the room key with a broad smile. She kissed Willow’s cheek and then headed out for the hotel lobby. She’d never been in this hotel before, but she made her way easily across the foyer to the grand staircase, walking as if she belonged here. She climbed the stairs, taking a moment to glance down at the room number to ascertain which floor she was her destination. Her shoes made a steady and reassuring clacking sound with each step. When she finally found the door, she took in a deep breath and opened the lock, opening it to reveal a simple but nicely-appointed room. The heavy curtains were drawn so that it was dark, but the heating registers clanged with their hot-water hiss, and Tara was grateful the room was warm. She stepped inside and closed the door. She moved to the window and drew open the drapes. She wasn’t going to spend her short time with Willow in darkness. There was a table with two chairs. She dropped her hat and coat across one of the chairs and scanned the rest of the room. There was a comfortable-looking bed and a dresser.

A moment later there came a soft knock upon the door. Tara opened it and let in Willow, stopping only a moment to hang the do-not-disturb sign on the outside door handle before closing it firmly behind them and twisting the lock.

She turned, her mouth suddenly dry.

They hesitated only a second or two and then both began to remove their clothes as quickly as possible, not touching yet, but watching each other as if they hadn’t seen each other in months. It wasn’t lost on Tara that she’d never felt this kind of need for Riley no matter how long they were apart. Tara felt the pumping of her blood as her heart raced.

Willow finished undressing first and took deliberate steps across the floor to Tara, reaching her hands around Tara’s back to gather the fabric of her slip and draw the soft material up over Tara’s head and arms. She stopped a moment to admire Tara’s breasts, a small, sweet smile playing at the corners of her mouth. Then she placed her hands gently on Tara’s hips and slid her underwear down.

Willow looked Tara up and down a moment. “God, you’re beautiful,” she crooned, and then dragged both of them over to the bed with a momentum that landed Tara on top of Willow. Tara slid her hands under her lover, pushing them both up onto the bed completely and then sank into a deep kiss, her body screaming at the sensations of Willow’s cool skin, the shifting of muscles as Willow moved beneath her, the instinctual tangling of their legs together. Hands were suddenly everywhere, running up and down her back, tousling her hair, moving to caress her breasts, clutching needily at her thighs. And Tara was on fire. She couldn’t think about what the hell she was going to do tomorrow—or even two hours from now. She couldn’t think about the farm or Riley or the detectives. Her entire focus was on this small space—this square of a room and its square of a bed. Unfamiliar and unremarkable except for the woman writhing beneath her.

##

Spike stood stomping his feet in the cold. Damn, he was ready for spring. More than ready in fact. He'd had a rotten and disconcerting day. He was tired of dragging away crying 20-year-olds and loading them on trucks bound for the camps. He could barely still summon the righteous indignation required to believe that these kids were truly enemies of the state. He personally didn't feel that the kids could possibly build enough traction to overcome the fear the German people lived with that prevented them from even thinking bad thoughts about the government. But maybe the powers-that-be were right: The minute somebody declares the emperor has no clothes is the minute the tide of public opinion turns. Until then, every one of us is complicit.

It made his head ache to think about it. So instead he admired the bouquet of flowers he'd just laid at the foot of his mother's grave. At this time of year, they’d cost him a few deutschmarks, that’s for sure.

"Mother, I've been a very bad boy," he intoned, smiling at the understatement. "These are very bad times. I'm rather glad you missed them, and you should be, too. Nothing but trouble these days. Dog-eat-dog and all that. And we're all dogs: German shepherds, Dalmatians, Dachsunds, poodles. I'd like to think I'm a Rottweiler. But I'm probably a poodle. I hope one day to see you again. But I somehow expect that none of us 'God's Chosen People' will make it to the glorious place you're at. In fact, for all I know Heaven is full of Jews and Gypsies, and the joke is really on the rest of us."

And speaking of jokes, where was Buffy? She'd called him up and told him to meet him here in the middle of the afternoon. And to bring flowers for his mother. He'd been standing here 15 minutes already with his hands in his pockets conversing with a slab or marble like a madman.

Then he noticed a young lad out of the corner of his eye. The boy was laying flowers at another grave nearby.

"Great," he mumbled, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it. "Company."

The boy approached. It wasn't until he had come within 10 feet that Spike understood what was up.

"Holy mother of Christ. You're a fucking Boy Scout now?"

It was Buffy. She made a rather handsome Hitler Youth, and that knowledge disturbed him quite a lot--the "handsome" part, particularly. "You have got to be kidding me."

Buffy smiled an angry little smile. Could a smile be angry? Guess so.

"Yeah. University was getting a little too tough for me, so I decided to go remedial."

"The cross-dressing thing is nice. Suits you."

"So I've been told. Apparently it's a hit with the gentlemen as well as the ladies."

He frowned uncomfortably. "Is this why you wanted to meet--to show off the new you?"

"Not exactly. Though you realize I'm taking a big risk in showing you my new get-up."

"You're taking a big risk just by breathing."

She scuffed her feet at the grass. "Yeah, that, too, I suppose. Anyway, I wanted to thank you. You know--for protecting me when you could have picked me up. I was on your list."

Spike shrugged. "There are a lot of people on the list. Seemed little harm enough in letting one get away. Can't promise it'll happen again."

"No, I understand. Like you couldn't protect Giles or Jenny."

Spike's ears pricked up." So I was right you knew the Gypsy. I'll have you know I helped you get her away from the professor's apartment. Sent my men over here to the cemetery to look for you. And I know you think I'm a monster--but I made sure it was me who…” He searched for a word that wouldn’t earn him a right hook to the jaw. “I made sure I was the one who captured Jenny--and not that evil, woman-hating fuck of a partner of mine. I couldn't save her. But I could show...mercy...and at least a little human decency."

He didn't know why saying it made his eyes sting. Maybe it was because he could tell that his words upset Buffy. She stood beside him, gazing at his mother's gravestone as if paying her respects. Maybe she was paying Jenny hers.

"This is way fucked up," she mumbled. She reached up and wiped away a tear, like a young lad trying to be strong. "What about Willow?" she asked.

Spike chuckled in spite of himself. He had her underwear in his coat pocket right now. "Red's a bit of a shocker, really. Although considering your attire here, I'd say the pair of you could be the belle and the beau of the ball."

"Not funny," Buffy scowled. "Are you still on her tail?"

"More or less. We're following her girlfriend around a bit right now. Imagine if they're lovebirds they'll find a way to see each other eventually. Tara was quite upset when we poked through her apartment. But I have to say Tara's a bit of a bore, really. Just shops for groceries, mostly. Your friend would be better to find a more exotic girl."

Buffy sighed, ignoring that last part. "What could I pay you that would get you to drop Willow?" Buffy gritted her teeth, waiting for her answer. She knew what she asked was a pretty risky thing for Spike.

"Caleb's already on my case for going easy on the Gypsy. He thinks I know Willow. Which I don't. But anyway--he sees I'm soft on them, and he called me on it. If I screw up again you won't have me to come to for your visas...or anything else, I'm afraid."

"Tell me how cases like this get transferred away. Tell me anything I can do to make this work."

Spike regarded her with some amusement. "So did you cut your hair for her?"

She shoved him. "Again with the not funny. She's my best friend. She's like family. She's practically all I've got."

"Other than your mom and little sister." Spike left the words hanging there--a wakeup call.

Buffy turned on him. "Don't you dare bring them into this."

"I'm only saying you're a wanted woman. They will be interrogated. I trust you've told them nothing and you've stayed far away. Am I right?"

"You're right."

"Good girl. They'll be fine." A beat and then: "Where have you been staying?"

Buffy sighed. "I'm sure you know."

Spike shot back: " I assure you I don't. Did you see my surprise at your little makeover? Last time I saw you was that day at the university." He paused and added: "Red's been a bit scarce, too, I'm afraid. We've lost her trail."

"You're lying."

"Am not. I've been completely truthful with you."

Buffy crossed her arms. "All right then. Tell me who else you know about."

Spike looked at her dubiously. He didn't want to say it. Didn't want it to be real. But he blew out a trail of smoke and replied, "That kid Alexander Harris. I have got to say he's one stupid fuck operating right under the SS's noses. I'd had no idea until I spotted you two together one day. And well, then Tara brought him Red’s suitcase, and that really clinched it in my mind."

Buffy slapped her forehead. "Ok. Ok. The three of us. How much do you want to completely leave us alone--call off the dogs?"

Spike thought of himself again as a poodle in Rottweiler's clothing. "Shit."

"Remember Xander's on the inside with you. Maybe there’s some--I don't know--paperwork he could help with?"

Spike shook his head. "When you and Red turn up dead or as captives, that's when they'll reassign us."

Buffy took a deep breath. "What about if Caleb were out of the picture?"

Spike grinned. "You really are desperate--that you'd stoop to murder?"

"Oh. Uh, incapacitation?"

"No."

"Transfer?"

"Not likely."

"Blackmail?"

"I have to hand it to you. The three of you and Miss Maclay are tricky. You've got a lot going on upstairs. Maybe I should be watching my step."

Buffy shook her head and took his hand in hers. "No. You've done good. You saved my life. You were...merciful.. .with Jenny. I owe you so much. I just want the people I love to be safe."

Spike wondered ruefully if that included him. Was he a person she loved? He didn't want to ask. He hadn't the stomach to hear her lie. So he let her words stand at face value. And that was enough.

"You really don't know where Willow is?"

"I've got nothing on her. You want to give me something--point me in some hopeless direction? Or is she missing and you have no idea, either?"

Buffy shook her head. "No." She paused. "We'll just stay as far out of your way as possible."

"I won't know how to find you, then?"

She smiled. "You never did before, eh?"

He had to give her that. She was an angel who appeared from time to time on his doorstep.

"I'll find you," she said.

"I'll do my best not to find you."

"Thanks."

He crushed out his cigarette and then bent down quickly to flick the thing away, remembering this was his mother's grave they were standing on. "Sorry, mom. Manners," he mumbled.

He gave Buffy one more long glance and then said, "Guess you'd better run off to school, young lad."

Buffy squeezed his hand and turned, smiling back at him a little.

He watched her walk away, wondering when next they’d cross paths. He hoped it was a long time from now. Sometime after the war, when they were no longer on opposite sides. His chest felt tight. He stood still and let her go.

##

“My life was a lot simpler before you,” Tara whispered, looking up at the ceiling. Willow tucked herself closer, laying her head on Tara’s shoulder.

“I know,” Willow whispered. They fell silent for a while, and then she ventured a very small, “I’m sorry.”

Tara frowned, feeling uncertain. She stroked Willow’s arm and twirled a bit of her long hair in her fingers. “Actually, my life was pretty boring.”

That brought a smile to Willow’s face. “Boring. It’s so hard to imagine. It’s never boring in my world. I sometimes wish it was. But, you know, double the identities means double the fun…or trouble…or just double the double…” Willow waved her hand as the thought fizzled.

“I was so certain how my life story would go…”

Willow nodded. “Yeah, I think I know that story. Read about it once or twice.” There was nothing grudging in her voice, a small playfulness, in fact, and Tara realized that maybe for Willow part of the thrill of living was the absurdity of it all. Making it up as she went. Playing at living. And Tara had been drawn in, more than happy to play, too.

She gave Willow a nudge in reply. “You know, there’s a difference between book learning and the actual living of it.”

Willow propped herself up so she could see Tara’s face. Her eyes were gentle but more serious. “I’m not saying that I have specific knowledge of how your life was meant to go before I came along and metaphorically blew up the railroad trestle. I just meant in a general sense. As in generally girls grow up, do some sort of domestic service, find a guy to marry them and then become wrapped up in family. At least that’s the way it seems from the outside. From a news reporterly perspective, anyway.”

“Well, that’s about right,” Tara nodded. “Except you forgot the part where the girl generally never questions any of the steps along the way. There’s just this script, and you follow it.”

Willow nodded. “I have a hard time with the not-asking of questions. Maybe that’s why my personal script is less a script, per se, and more improvisation.”

Tara smiled in spite of herself. “Well, improv-girl, perhaps you haven’t noticed, but I haven’t exactly followed the script, either. And I don’t mean just lately. Have you wondered why a 28-year-old woman isn’t already married? Do you wonder what I’ve been doing all this time?”

Willow looked confused, as if suddenly she were seeing Tara differently. “Are you a spy?” she asked without a bit of irony. Life in Willow’s world must be very cloak-and-daggers, indeed, Tara thought.

“Um, no,” she chuckled. “I’m just a bit of a nonconformist. In my own way.”

“These days that’s just about as bad,” Willow sighed, rubbing her hand in small circles on Tara’s belly. The motion was instantly distracting. Tara had half a mind to let the sexual tension build between them again. It would be so easy. She could definitely stand to hear Willow’s growl as Tara made her come again. In fact, she made a point to add that to this afternoon’s agenda: more sex. But first, there were words.

“I need…I don’t know. I guess all this time I’ve just needed to feel something raw and dangerous. So when things became too comfortable I’d get cold feet and back out. I’ve been with a few men and near to marrying a couple of them. My family thinks I’m a freak. But I can’t describe how suffocating it’s felt to me. Maybe I’m meant to be alone. Who knows. But it makes me scared…about us.”

“Us? There’s an ‘us’ in this equation somewhere?” Willow asked doubtfully. Her eyes spoke volumes about her insecurity. How could a girl who was so transparent have escaped protective custody for so long? So many years of wearing her fragile heart on her sleeve.

“Of course, sweetie. This is all about the us, as in you and me, and what am I to do with you.”

Willow’s voice tightened almost imperceptibly. “Just say you’ll come visit me once in a while. Not enough so that you get to feeling suffocated or bored or get tired of me talking all the time. If it helps with the dangerous part, I’ll come up with some outrageous hobby, like maybe fortune-telling. Jenny taught me some tarot card reading. A little palm reading. I- I could get Xander to give me another new identity, maybe as a university professor debunking the dark arts and then on the side I could do readings for people. Maybe make a little extra money…No, wait, I have an even better idea for something even more dangerous…”

“Ok, stop. Believe me. Being with you is already more dangerous than anything else I’ve done. By far.”

“Do I scare you?”

Wow. Tara was really hitting all of Willow’s buttons. She felt uncharacteristically oafish—she who was usually taking great care with everyone else’s feelings—was apparently trampling Willow. Did she mean to? Was she testing Willow’s bravado? Or was she merely trying to be honest, and being honest right now was being confused.

“No, you don’t scare me. I love you. You’re right as rain. It all feels so amazing. Everything about you. But the world isn’t just the two of us. It’s everybody else that makes me scared.”

Willow sighed, knowing she was in a no-win situation. Tara loved her, but loving was only half the battle. Or maybe even a third. Because there was always the looming question of “what then?” Would Willow suffocate her? Could she actually make a life with a woman in 1940s Germany? And, depending how she answered those two questions, wasn’t Tara objectively better off with Riley, with whom she could at least start a family? She wasn’t 20 anymore. Or 23 or 25. These days women her age were on to their third children by now.

Willow leaned down and kissed Tara’s lips, smiling sweetly, radiating nothing but love. “Baby, everybody else makes me scared, too. And I, for one, can attest that sometimes just breathing is scary enough.”

“I- I’m scared for you. For us.”

“I know. I am, too. But it’s ok.” Willow was making those small circles on Tara’s belly again—the ones that were probably meant to be comforting, but actually were so damn distracting. She bent down and kissed along Tara’s throat to her collarbone, doing the thing that Willow seemed to do best: turn her on.

“What are you doing?” Tara asked with a sly smile.

“Making the scaries go away. At least for a little while.”

“W-wait, wait.”

Willow popped her head up again, concerned and a little fearful. “Too much?”

Tara smiled and smoothed a lock of hair behind the girl’s ear. “Nowhere near too much. I want very much. I want more than much. Just one last thing, though.” With that, she twisted off the ring she was wearing on her right hand and held it up.

“That’s Riley’s ring,” Willow noted, a bit uncertainly.

“Nope. It’s mine. His is at home.”

“Is this like a backup ring for when you go out, so his doesn’t get lost or something?”

Tara chuckled. Willow could be so dense. “No, sweetie. This is not some backup ring. This is my ring. One my mother gave me. It used to be hers. Anyway, it’s mine and I want you to have it.”

“I- I don’t think I could accept something like that. It’s- it’s your mother’s ring. It’s special to you. It’s your ring. And, uh, why is Riley’s ring at home?”

Tara took Willow’s hand and slipped the silver band on her ring finger, shushing her with a kiss. “Don’t fight with me about this. You’ll lose. I want you to have it.”

“But why? What’s it supposed to mean?” There was so much in Willow’s eyes just then: fear, hurt, longing, hope, caution. It made Tara’s heart hurt. She felt all of those things as well. But there was one other thing in Willow’s eyes: powerlessness. She was worried that Tara was teasing. Tara knew the tone of her next words had to be just right.

“It means I love you. This ring is a part of me and I want you to have it because if you do, you’ll always have a part of me with you. I want to think of you wearing it. I want you to have something that’s important to me…because you are…”

“But you’re not leaving Riley.” Willow cut straight to the chase, her eyes dead serious now.

“No,” Tara said with more certainty than she felt. She couldn’t overpromise. “Me giving you this ring isn’t about Riley. It’s about us.”

“But what about Riley? He’s kind of the big pink elephant in the room. How can I just, I don’t know, overlook him and- and the fact that you’re marrying him and when you do, then what you and I are doing now won’t just be immoral in the one sense. You know, the ‘unnatural’ sense. It’ll be adultery, too, which would make it doubly bad. And that’s on top of the Jewish thing, too. So, aw, fuck. This is a total train wreck. I can’t believe I’m even doing this. Fuck!” Willow had disengaged from Tara and now sat on the edge of the bed gazing into the daylight streaming into the hotel room.

Tara lay on her back, staring up at the ceiling. Well, that didn’t go right. She sighed, trying to mentally pick up the broken shards of conversation strewn all about them. She reached out her hand and wrapped it around Willow’s wrist, rubbing her thumb along the skin there.

“Baby, this is probably already adultery. And, yes, it’s immoral in ways too numerous to count. Or even bother with. All I know is that everything does not come back to Riley. If it did, things would be simple. And I wouldn’t be here. But it’s not that simple because everything does not come back to Riley. And that’s because, for me, it all comes back to you.”

Willow peered over her shoulder. “Whatever that means.”

Tara smiled. “Yeah. Whatever that means. I’m still trying to figure it all out.”

“I’m the one who generally overthinks everything. And, huh, go figure. I’m not the only one.”

Tara propped herself up on one elbow and ran slow circles along the skin of Willow’s back, making the girl shiver. “Thinking can be over-rated. Sometimes you just go with your gut. And my gut really wants you to wear my ring. And be my girl. And for me to be your girl.”

Willow crawled back onto the bed and straddled Tara, a playful smirk on her face. “Your gut, huh? You should listen to it more often. You are very gutsy.”

Tara relaxed, running her fingers up and down Willow’s thighs. “Maybe I’m just very easy.”

Willow leaned down. “That, my dear, is a given. I like easy. It’s really good on you.”

“You’re really good on me.”

“Vixen. You probably say that to all the girls. Or boys?”

“Only to the girls. The girl. As in only one: You.”

“Singular is definitely better than plural. Except in the plural ‘we,’ as in us, you and me.”

“So many pronouns.”

“Don’t get me thinking about diagramming sentences. Definitely not sexy.”

Tara reached up with both hands, cupping Willow’s face gently and drawing her in for a tender kiss.

Willow pulled back a moment, nodding breathlessly. “Great idea. Less talking. More kissing.”

Tara kissed Willow again, thinking back to her earlier agenda item. What was it again? Oh, yes: more sex with Willow. That plan of spending a couple of hours was quickly going out the window. Tara intended to keep Willow here the rest of the day.

In fact, she'd keep Willow here forever if only she could.

##

More to come in Part 7B

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:18 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

That was the less stressing update in a while.
I am glad they got to see each other before Tara would go to the farm. I just wish they could hide somewhere together, in a hole until the end of WWII. But it is impossible so... the next updates are going to be more stressful right? Angst will be here... almost palpable I bet.
That would be a great idea to kill Calleb... But it would be simplier to make false death certificate for Willow and Buffy. Well now that I think of it... no... It wouldn't be simplier at all.
There is nothing simple in this time. I guess they'll have to do it the hard way huh?

Thanks for the update and some Willow and Tara smoochies.
Oh and for Riley? Very easy, he is going to get mad because of his job in the camp... Or be arrested at the end of WWII or get ill. Sad but cool for our girl.

Friendly,

Julia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:07 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Well, that was a nice little change of pace for the moment. At least this one didn't have me using up all the Kleenex.

I'm kind of excited about the possible things Buffy and Spike could do to get the bad guys off their trail. Something bad really does need to happen to Caleb, and the sooner the better. Then again, Spike would be taking a huge risk and then everything could blow up in their faces.

I'm so glad Willow and Tara were able to arrange a meeting. I'm also glad they finally talked about the Riley factor. The ring was nice too. I'm still worried about what's going to happen when Riley does come home. Oh, more angst.

Great job again. Can't wait for more.

Wimpy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:57 am 
5. Willowhand

I know I go on about it, but beautiful Scoobyage here again. I love them working as a team to get Willow some loving. It must bring them all such hope to be able to focus on this love while wading through the evil of their everyday lives.

It would seem as though absence has put the initiative in Willow as this is really the first time we see her taking the lead in the lovemaking (okay, second time for the pinning against the wall move, which I love, but she is definitely getting bolder). And how heartbreakingly realistic she is being about this relationship, just as she was during the first day in the park. She doesn’t really have any illusions about forever and just wants Tara in her life. Carpe Diem indeed!

I loved the ring as well. Tara’s gestures of love are breaking my heart. She knows what she wants. She knows this is the most alive she has ever felt. She must be starting to see that Willow was what was lacking in all of her other relationships. She holds all the cards. The problem is how hard it is going to be to actually do something about it.

Thank you for the update. 7b here we come…

Last edited by masterjendu on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:08 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

i only have a moment, but i did want to say thanks for the update.

i really enjoy how much desperation Tara seems to be exhibiting. Not that she isn't in control, but how much of that control is feuled by the need to see Willow. It isn't a mere longing anymore. Tara needs to see Willow. And vica versa of course, but I like how Tara has finally, it seems, stopped thinking. She's given over to the fact that she loves Willow and needs to be with her. Short of being careful not to get anyone caught, she'll do anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:52 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Hi all,

Thanks again for your comments.

Julia! I think you truly have it in for Caleb and Riley! ;-) Yes, those two definitely are getting in the way of Willow/Tara smoochies. I'll have to do something about that!

Wimpy...Yes, things for Willow and Tara started off so desperate and physical, and now it's time for words...for understanding each other's insecurities. Somehow for me in this section the balance of power in their relationship changed a bit. Tara recognizes Willow's powerlessness, where in the very beginning Tara thought she was the powerless one--nowhere near as flashy as our intrepid girl reporter. We know that Tara is a rock. Now she's learning that, too.

Masterjendu...I hadn't really noticed that Tara almost always has been the one physically in charge, but that's true. Willow seems to draw that out in her. It seemed so important for Willow who's been completely responsible for herself for so long to let down her guard, and for Tara, who'd felt neglected, to come into power. Their relationship is a bit more give-and-take now, though Tara does hold the cards.

Zooeys_Bridge...Tara's realizing a lot of things--or at least processing a lot of things. I like how honest she's being, letting her heart lead her even if she's not sure intellectually what it all means.

OK. I promised a descent into angst. Here goes...

Thanks again for reading.

June

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:06 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Night of Broken Glass--PART 7B

By Junecleavage

It's Berlin 1943, and the Nazis are the Big Bad

PART 7B

The April morning had been warm enough that Gruber hadn’t even taken a coat with him on his walk at lunch. Willow watched him return to the newsroom, walking through as he always did and hanging his hat on a hook behind his office door. There was a small smile she could tell had been put there by sunshine. And she was not above using a pretty day to get what she wanted where he was concerned.

In fact, the blue skies visible from the office windows seemed to buoy everyone’s spirits a bit. The rounding up of the university students had subsided finally. It had been a while since the Brits had tried any serious aerial assaults. And Willow’s life had settled. She’d taken a small apartment in a reasonably nice building near where Xander lived. Buffy stayed there with her sometimes. She felt like she was finally tasting what “normal life” must be like among the Good Germans. She worked, came home, met her friends, did homework (some routines were hard to break) and did voluminous reading. In winter it had seemed like enough, but with Spring now upon them, she was restless. The whole city was restless. But Willow Rosenberg was particularly restless. It had been more than two months since Tara had left Berlin for her family’s home north of the city.

She’d received letters—very sweet descriptions of the farm and of Donald’s boys and Tara’s cousin Beth and very sweet descriptions of how much she missed Willow. Every one of those letters was tucked in a little pocket of her suitcase, with Tara’s name and return address carefully blackened out with India ink. Just in case some Nazi asshole ever got a hold of her suitcase, she didn’t want Tara being branded a Jewish sympathizer, which, depending upon the mood of the authorities on any given day, was tantamount to political insurgency.

And over the past few weeks, as she’d listened in more and more to the talk around the newsroom among the reporters when it came to the concentration camps, she had come to realize that political dissidence was really not something she wanted pinned on Tara or Xander or Buffy or anyone. The camps were on her mind these days because Riley Finn was out at Ravensbruck now. And because that’s probably where they’d send someone like Willow if she were ever caught and the SS were not in a mood to shoot her on the spot.

She’d become curious. She’d pricked up her ears when the newsmen talked about rampant illnesses running virtually unchecked. Or about the staggering numbers of prisoners currently under “protective custody.” Could there really be 60,000 at Bergen-Belsen alone? There were even rumors that the government had set up supposed “death camps” in Poland. It sucked to be a Jew in Berlin. But from the bits and pieces she heard it sounded far worse to be a Jew in Poland. The evil empire was growing more malevolent, the cancer of it spreading. The more vast Germany’s holdings grew, the harder it was to maintain human decency. They were getting sloppy and it was becoming harder and harder for even the die-hards to ignore. The whisperings turned her stomach, filling her with a queasy kind of anger. Interestingly, the other reporters sounded just as disturbed by the news. The only problem was that it still wasn’t the kind of news The People’s Press—or any other newspaper—would dare to print.

But somebody had to do something, and she realized that she was the perfect person to do it—as if it were fate or kismet that drew her to take a job at this newspaper in the first place. And over the past few weeks, since Gruber had taken her out to dinner with the government bigwigs, she’d managed to get him to let her do some reporting…small news stories, rewrites of communiqués from the government. She understood the “Party lines” so she never betrayed her distaste for her sanitized subject matter, and little by little Gruber’s trust in her had grown.

Today, she was going to push things quite a bit further.

She saw her opportunity as Gruber took his seat at his desk, and so she rose and followed him.

“Sir,” she said as she softly knocked at his office door. He turned and raised an eyebrow.

“How’s that piece on the Fuhrer’s last speech coming?”

“Very well, sir. It’s almost finished. I’ll have the draft to you by two o’clock.”

Gruber nodded affectionately. “Excellent, Miss Hermann. What else can I do for you?”

Willow felt her face redden, and her skin flush with sweat. This was hard….He noticed her discomfort and nodded toward the chair in front of his desk. She gladly took it. “I, um, have a request. There’s a story I’d like to do. It’s very important. But it’s also very big, so I’d understand if you thought another reporter might be better for the job. Though, really, I think I would do a really great job with it. It’s just that I feel really strongly about the subject matter and the need to reassure the people. There’s—there’s a weakness. Or perhaps not a weakness, per se, more of a gap, maybe, that needs to be filled with information. With something. So that the people don’t have to worry. And—and I think if we wrote an important piece in The People’s Press, it would help…”

“Miss Hermann,” he interrupted softly. “What is this piece you feel the need to write?”

“I’m- I’m not criticizing the government when I say this…” She stopped. When had she become such a major liar? Were her untruthfulness skills growing? Was she just as guilty as the government for using words to manipulate? With a breath, she clicked back on mental track: “I think people are starting to wonder about the camps.”

Gruber’s eyebrows just about hit his hairline. “The concentration camps? You want to write about them?” He said it as if she had just announced she wanted to do a story about how Hitler liked to kill kittens and puppies. Which, come to think of it, wasn’t such a bad analogy.

Willow had rehearsed some of this, but her little speech fell apart and she just went from the heart. “I’ve heard whisperings…even around the newsroom here. Nobody is criticizing the government or questioning its agenda. It’s just with a lack of information, it’s natural for people to start thinking the worst.”

Gruber’s eyes narrowed. “Just what exactly have you heard that makes you think the worst.” He was dangerous. As much as he might like her, she knew he’d turn her in to the authorities in a heartbeat to protect himself and his newspaper.

“I’ve heard a bit about illnesses…and about huge numbers of prisoners. I mean, really, really big numbers of prisoners.”

“We’re at war. The fact that we have many prisoners means our efforts are effective. The people should be proud.”

Willow pounced on this. “Exactly. They should be proud. They should be relieved. That’s the story I want to tell. I want to reassure them that everything is under control…” Her voice trailed off. She knew this was an extremely huge can of worms she had just opened. Was that look on his face because he thought if she learned too much she’d turn traitor? Usually, the reporters stayed close to the newsroom, writing from what their sources told them. There was no source stepping forward here to offer information. She was suggesting going to get it. Until this moment, the word ‘proactive’ was not part of the vernacular of this news organization. Nor was ‘enterprising.’ However, ‘helpful’ was a word that described The People’s Press, and that’s the one she latched onto.

“I want to help.”

Gruber leaned back in his chair, rubbing his clean-shaven chin. She noted that the sunny-day smile was gone. After a moment, he asked her tentatively, “How do you propose to go about getting this story?”

This part Willow was ready for. “I’d like to meet with the administration of one of the camps. They can show me anything they want. I’d like to bring a camera and take photographs—again of whatever they want. This is their opportunity to tell their story.”

Gruber nodded. “I believe I have a source in the administration at Bergen-Belsen. I can ask them to draft something—perhaps send some photos along. And, yes, you can edit the piece. I’ll give you the by-line on it.”

Now the tricky part. “Sir, I’d like to go myself. I believe that as an outsider—and a woman—I can capture exactly the right tone.”

“There’s no way I’d send a woman reporter—even a very bright and capable one—out to Bergen-Belsen.”

“I have a contact—an official at Ravensbruck. Captain Riley Finn. I would work with him. I met him this winter through my, uh, fiancé, who works at SS headquarters. It’s a women’s camp, and perhaps my fiancé, Alexander Harris, could accompany me—as a chaperone. I think Captain Finn would trust me and welcome me. He’s told me he appreciates the work I do here at The People’s Press…”

“Miss Hermann. That sounds all well and fine, but what makes you think that anything you write about a women’s camp would be reassuring to the German people? They don’t want to know that the Government has women and children locked up.”

“That’s exactly why this is the story we should write and why I’m the one to write it: They will believe me, as a woman and therefore sensitive, when I give my first-hand account, photos and all. They will know that a woman will have a sharp eye toward the safety and comfort of women and children. I guarantee you everyone who picks up a copy of the newspaper will want to read that story. And if they see the fairness with which women are treated, then they’ll think less about the men. Isn’t that really what people fear—that the government could be treating the most vulnerable unfairly? By showing them we are not, they’ll have renewed respect and peace of mind.”

“You realize it’s not all roses out there,” he said dangerously again.

“I’m not expecting roses. I want to help.”

He sat silent for what seemed like an insufferably long time. And then he sighed. “You’re right,” he said grudgingly. “You are very astute. It’s a shame you’re a woman and not a man who could be performing strategy work for the government instead of editing government communiqués and news releases.”

Willow took this as a compliment, though it was certainly a weird one. “I don’t mind being a woman,” she smiled. “As long as there’s something I can do.”

He acquiesced completely. Even made a few phone calls to Ravensbruck, SS Headquarters and to the Nationalist Party to get clearance for her to take on the assignment. He was successful in getting Captain Finn assigned to escort her on her reporting mission at Ravensbruck. And he was also successful in getting Alexander Harris assigned to accompany her, so that she’d have an SS man to keep her safe on the road. The rest of the afternoon was occupied with finding her the equipment she’d need: a camera and rolls of film. In the meantime Willow finished the story she was working on so that she could turn it in to him by two o’clock as promised.

At the end of the workday, Gruber intercepted her on her way out. He handed her the camera bag, with the camera and film and with three reporter’s notepads. “Meet with me first thing in the morning, so we can map out your itinerary…and so that we can discuss the outline for your story. I need to submit that to the Nationalist Party before they’ll give final approval. But, overall, I must say, they were very pleased with your personal initiative…”

Willow beamed. Praise like this meant a lot to her in a fundamentally Willow sort of way. “I’m glad. Thanks for all of your arrangements. And thank you for entrusting this to me. I won’t let you down.”

Gruber chuckled. “That I know. You never have. I’ve asked for Mr. Harris to come in tomorrow, as well.”

That caught Willow by surprise. Gruber chuckled again. “Well, it’s only right that I meet your fiancé…and the man who I’m entrusting your safety to. I want to make sure we have everything covered.”

“He’s a good guy. You’ll like him.”

“If you like him, I’m sure I will,” Gruber said, and with a wave he bade her good-night.

##

The next afternoon, Willow was grinning as she tossed a set of car keys to Xander. He was dashing in his uniform, and she was feeling giddy. They were down on the street, getting their car from the newspaper motor-pool. A couple of checkmarks on a form and a signature from Xander, and they were suddenly with wheels.

“Road trip!” Xander grinned.

“Shotgun!”

Willow stopped, wondering where that expression came from. Was that literally so that the passenger could shoot while the driver, well, drove? She thought again of the SS-issued handgun Xander carried. And then of the one Gruber had pressed into her palm as they’d readied to depart. It was the one he usually kept in his desk drawer, so she knew this was a Very Special Gesture on his part.

“You know how to use it?” Gruber had asked.

“Um, no,” Willow replied, a bit spooked to be holding a deadly weapon.

“Get your fiancé to show you. It’s merely for backup. I don’t want anything bad to happen to you. And you, young man, make sure to return my reporter to me in the same working condition she leaves in. Understand?”

Sometimes talking to Gruber was like talking to your dad, she thought. At his gruff bark, Xander snapped his heels and saluted him. “Yes, sir,” he reflexively answered. That had almost made Willow giggle. Was there such a thing as free will? She inwardly sighed. Not officially, according to the government. But if she and Xander played the game just right what they were about to do was a huge in-your-face to the Big Bad.

Once in the car with the motor started, they both laughed with excitement.

“This is either a very good or very bad idea,” Xander said.

Willow nodded, thoughtful for a moment. “I’m pretty sure it’s both. And thank you for doing this with me anyway.”

He grinned. “He thinks we’re getting married?”

Willow rolled her eyes. “How else was I going to get him to request your services?”

“My services don’t come cheap, you know. How come I haven’t noticed the ring before? Looks like it could be worth some cash.”

“I’m not hocking it to pay you off. It’s from Tara. I guess it means I’m engaged to her, huh?”

He smirked. “More like engaged with. I’m fairly certain no church Christiany or Jewish would let you two lovely ladies get married. It would make the Baby Jesus cry. And the Baby Moses. But it is nice to know that when a woman woos another woman she resorts to jewelry just the same as us guys do.”

“Are we all really such sheep?”

“I’m no expert, having never actually had a ring to give somebody. Nor somebody to give the ring to, of course. But I’m told the ladies like the rings. Hard to go wrong there.”

“Yep. Worked on me.”

##

Xander was holding Willow’s hand in his, thoughtfully inspecting her ring. Helmut had brought them pie and coffee—just a little something for fun before they hit the road for Ravensbruck. “So is that really an engagement ring?” he asked.

“Maybe more like an indecision ring. There seem to be a lot of rings rolling around her jewelry box these days. It’s hard for her to know which one to go with.”

“Well, this one is nice. Simple. A bit understated. But then, you’re not one for being flashy. It suits you.”

“That’s so funny. I’m quite sure she doesn’t see me as nice, simple or understated in the least.”

“Maybe it’s more of an expression of her personality, since it is her ring.”

“Uh, I don’t know…She has a side to her that’s definitely not understated, either. Or nice.”

Xander leaned back. “Ok. I’m beginning to get disturbing little pictures in my mind again. I think I’d prefer to think of you two holding hands and…well…just holding hands...”

Willow arched her eyebrow. “What’s this ‘again’ business? Just how much have you been thinking about us…holding hands?”

Xander looked uncomfortable. “Well, there was that one time, with Spike…and your suitcase.”

“Just that one time?”

Xander turned to look out the window looking for something—anything—to change the subject. Uh, oh. That was too easy. And too hard.

“Willow, honey…The Preacher is coming.”

“What?” she said, turning to look at the man who wanted her dead. Who’d stared at Buffy as if he were the grim reaper, and who had followed Tara just wishing she’d screw up so he could cart her off to a concentration camp. Oh, and who also was Xander’s coworker. His eyes were indeed an inky black, his jaw stern. He was a little younger than she had imagined. How could someone so young become so jaded and filled with hate? Oh, wait. He was a Nazi.

Xander’s hand was on her arm. “I think he’s coming in here. You’d better duck into the restroom and stay there until I come get you.”

Willow nodded and did as she was told. She grabbed her hat in case she needed to tuck her conspicuous red hair up under it. Then she pushed her way to the back of the café and disappeared behind swinging doors. Xander turned his attention again to his cup of coffee. And waited to see if Caleb would notice him.

Of course he did. Gestapo were trained to notice things. And here was Xander. Someone he would, of course, notice.

“Afternoon, Harris,” The Preacher said, strolling over to Xander’s table and towering above him. Xander looked up. It seemed somehow incongruent to see the cold-blooded killer Caleb holding a white café coffee cup just like any regular person. He was definitely not a regular person.

“Caleb,” Xander replied with a smile. What else should he say: “Nice to see you?” No. “Beautiful day?” Yeah, he could do that one.

“Beautiful day, huh?”

Caleb nodded with a smile. An actual smile. As in upturned lips. As in Caleb has lips.

“It is, indeed, a lovely day. What are you up to? Shouldn’t you be at work?”

Those damn Gestapo types and their propensity to interrogate even in casual settings. “I’m enjoying a cup of coffee like yourself. Taking a little break before getting back to work.”

“The office is across town,” Caleb replied, taking a slurp from his white cup.

“How right you are. With your keen detective skills I bet you’re like a walking tour map.”

“If you plan on walking back there you won’t make it before five.”

Was that humor? Xander ventured tentatively: “So. You walk a lot, then.”

“Sure do.”

They regarded each other a moment over the rims of their coffee cups as they both took another sip in silence. Caleb was still standing, comfortable in an intimidating way. And Xander was in a cozy booth with a half-eaten slice of pie, two forks and two cups of coffee.

“So when’s she coming back?” Caleb asked, coolly, that little smiley non-smile tugging at the corners of his mouth again.

Xander nearly spit his coffee. “She?”

“Yes. She.”

Crap. “Well, that depends upon what you mean by coming back. And of course who you mean by she.” Xander was blathering now. What did Caleb know? Was he being played? What could he say? The truth? What was the truth, anyway? Caleb stood patiently, waiting for the answer to his question. And Xander was determined not to give it to him.

“Do you always play detective? I mean, do you ever have a conversation that’s not all…questionny?”

“Conversation is the art of asking questions. People love to talk.”

Xander chuckled. “So true.” A beat, and then: “So what brings you here?”

“I’m looking for someone,” Caleb shrugged.

“Ok. You’re going to have to do better than that to call yourself a conversationalist. It’s no fun being the guy who has to play 20 questions to get things started.”

“Now you know how I feel.”

Xander chuckled again. This was quite possibly the longest conversation he’d ever had with Caleb. Either the guy was truly being friendly or he was about to drag Xander’s sorry ass out to a paddywagon. All he knew was that either way he couldn’t afford to stay here chatting with The Preacher. Eventually, he’d lose. He rose to his feet, pulled out his wallet and tossed some money onto the table to cover the pie and coffee. He didn’t dare look at Helmut or do anything else that might suggest this was a place Xander went often.

“Well, nice chatting, Caleb. But I’m heading out. I’d better let you get back to your detective work.”

“Aren’t you going to wait for her?”

Xander did his best not to freeze. He turned slowly, letting his heart choose his words.

“Wait for her? I’ll wait my whole life for her. I love her with all my heart. Maybe one day she’ll understand just how much.”

And with that, he clapped Caleb on the shoulder and walked out of the diner, leaving Willow behind.

It was the only thing he could think of to do.

##

The dogs were barking down by the road, disrupting what was otherwise another quiet day. “What is it?” Tara called upstairs to her cousin Beth who was making the beds while Tara finished the breakfast dishes. Three young boys dashed around her legs making a beeline for the window to look outside. Not much happened on the farm.

Beth’s voice floated back down from above. “Looks like some soldier. Not from around here. Wonder what he wants.”

Tara tossed her dishtowel aside and replied. “I’ll get it.” She walked to the door with a surprising sense of dread. Riley. She remembered she wasn’t wearing his ring. That’s the first thing he’d notice. She had no idea how she’d greet him. A kiss to the cheek? A warm embrace? How would she explain the ring? What if he planned on staying over? Could she tell him she was uncertain and that she had feelings for someone else she needed to work through? Wouldn’t he demand to know who his competitor was? And then, being tight with the SS, wouldn’t he run a background check? Damn. Every step she took became heavier.

“Look at the uniform!” Donald’s oldest boy was saying. “I want one just like it.”

“War is overrated,” Tara wanted to say aloud, but she held her tongue. With a deep breath she opened the door.

“Buffy!” That was a surprise.

Willow’s friend looked uncomfortable. “Sorry to just show up unannounced. Hope it’s not too much of an inconvenience.”

Tara took a step back so that Buffy could come in. Suddenly her emotions swung away from fear of Riley to fear of something else. “Willow. Is she…?”

“Wilma’s fine,” Buffy smiled as she shrugged off her Hitler Youth hat to reveal short-cropped hair. Which itself was a bit disorienting. Tara hadn’t seen Buffy in full Scout mode before. That day at the hotel—the last time Tara had seen Willow—Buffy had worn a scarf and a long coat. Today she was every bit the adolescent male. It was kind of cute, though disorienting.

“In fact,” Buffy was saying, “Auntie Wilma sent me here ahead of her. Seems she’s covering a news story up north and expects to stop by here on her way back to Berlin. She put me on the train here to meet her. I hope you don’t mind?”

Tara had nearly stopped breathing. “Y-you mean Wil-Wilma will be, um, paying us a visit?”

Buffy nodded, “That’s right.”

“In-in just a couple of days?”

“Right. If that’s ok with you. She really should have written you first, but this business trip came up rather suddenly…”

There was a clattering of footsteps on the stairs as Beth came down to see who their visitor was. “Um,” Tara began, “This is my friend Wilma’s nephew…”

“Bert,” Buffy jumped in quickly, extending her hand to Beth in a businesslike handshake. Tara had to work to keep the smirk off her face.

“Nice to meet you, Bert,” Beth said in her talking-down-to-youngsters voice. “You look very handsome in your uniform. Would you like a cup of tea?”

“Sounds great! Do you have any cookies…”

##

It had been a long time. Too long. Willow felt her anxiety rising with each breath she took. What was taking Xander so long? Was The Preacher still out there? What was Xander doing? She looked at her watch, but it had stopped. She wound the gears to get it going again, but she had no idea how long she’d been waiting. Well, she’d memorized the wallpaper. That was one clue. She clutched the edge of the sink and stared at her own reflection in the mirror. She could wait. She could. But not knowing about Xander: That was the hard part. And she couldn’t stay here forever.

##

Spike strolled into the diner to meet Caleb. They’d set this little lunchtime rendezvous to go over work items. They had a nest of Jews to take care of this afternoon. As always, it was the neighbors who’d turned in the unlucky family. But it was the executions of the university students that was the triggering event. In the weeks since the university raids, Spike and Caleb had a lot more business on their hands than usual. Seemed like everybody was trying to deflect attention or settle up old differences. It was no secret that the neighbors were usually the ones who scavenged the apartments after Spike and Caleb had apprehended their quarry. Many, many people were quietly making out like bandits while their former friends and neighbors rotted somewhere. Probably literally.

Spike lit a cigarette in disgust, hoping it would distract him from his dark thoughts. The day was too pretty for darkness. “What’s up?” Spike smirked, noticing his partner turning the salt shaker in his hand contemplatively. Caleb was the quiet sort, for sure. And he was crafty as all get out. But Spike had never seen him in an actually contemplative mood. The killer the other agents called The Preacher smiled a bit.

“It was that kid Harris.”

Spike blinked. “Who? You mean the boy from our office?”

“Yeah. He was in here a few minutes ago. A pie and coffee break.”

Spike flicked ashes into the ashtray. “It’s a bit far of a stroll from headquarters.”

“That’s what I said. There may have been a lady involved.”

Spike’s eyebrows shot up at that. “Harris has a girlfriend?”

Caleb grinned wickedly. “That was exactly my reaction. I was almost sure the guy’s a homosexual. I’ve just been waiting for proof to nab him. They actually have nice places for the perverts at the concentration camps. And, well, we wouldn’t want him weakening the gene pool, would we?”

“I imagine if he’s a faggot then we wouldn’t have to worry about the gene pool, eh?” In the midst of his own cruel chuckling, it occurred to Spike that he shouldn’t encourage this line of conversation. Buffy would never forgive him if something happened to her pal. He backtracked. “But I think you’re wrong about that one. I happen to know he has lady friends.”

“Lady friends? As in more than one? When he marched out of here he made it sound like there was one undying love of his life. And then he scooted out of here as if I’d caught him in some illicit tryst.”

Spike grew annoyed. “Ask the owner if you want to know who Harris was here with.”

“Not a bad idea.” Caleb rose and sauntered over to Helmut. Spike couldn’t make out the conversation, but then he had a sinking feeling. Maybe asking the owner wasn’t such a good idea after all. If being here with someone gave Harris the jitters, then it was probably for good reason. He was hiding something. Or someone.

Caleb came back to the table, grinning. “Helmut there tells me young Harris was here with a redhead and that they appeared to be admiring an engagement ring together. Apparently she left before he did.”

“See? Told you so. Now can we move on to other matters?”

Caleb looked self-satisfied…and predatory. “But. Something tells me they aren’t together. Something he said. Or didn’t say. I still think he’s homosexual. I think the girl is a friend. After all these years, how often have I been wrong about a hunch? How many things have I missed? Maybe a little surveillance…”

Spike waved his hand dismissively and took another drag off his cigarette. “I can’t believe we’re even wasting breath on all this. Let’s work out our plan for capturing the Weismans this afternoon.”

But Caleb wouldn’t let it go. “No. Harris really has me thinking: Just how well do we know the people inside the SS? I think we should secretly double back on our own people and scour the headquarters for traitorous activity.”

Spike sighed heavily. He knew there was a reason it was better to never actually talk to his psychopathic partner. But he was also worried. A sweep of headquarters could reveal not only Harris’s deceptions, but his own. It chilled him. “I had no idea you were bucking for promotion.”

The Preacher grinned darkly. “I would get a promotion, wouldn’t I? But, really, I’d do it even for nothing.”

In this war, some bastards really found their calling.

More to come....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:37 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

You really really have to do something about Calleb... Like... now! Can a cow fall from the sky on his head? Or... Oh I know something ironical... A Nazi statue of I don't know what falling from a bulduing on his head? Anything but something... And fast... lol

Poor Willow... Stuck in the restroom. Well at least Helmut didn't seem to have remembered her name or to think it was important to tell Calleb it. Otherwise he couldn't have waited so long.

Oh and I don't think she has such a good idea with the concentration camp. Really not... But for the little trip to Tara's farm... that's a good idea! Some tea and cookies, some gay loving and a little horseback ride :)

Quote:
It sucked to be a Jew in Berlin. But from the bits and pieces she heard it sounded far worse to be a Jew in Poland.

Definitely. As I told you, I met this wonderful woman who was Pole and was sent in Auchwitz... Well she told us that the hate for Jews was there even before the Nazis told people about Jew being a desease... She said That's why she couldn't be Pole anymore when she was freed. So Willow is deiniftely right.

Quote:
“Get your fiancé to show you. It’s merely for backup. I don’t want anything bad to happen to you. And you, young man, make sure to return my reporter to me in the same working condition she leaves in. Understand?”

That's cute :)

Quote:
“That’s so funny. I’m quite sure she doesn’t see me as nice, simple or understated in the least.”

“Maybe it’s more of an expression of her personality, since it is her ring.”

“Uh, I don’t know…She has a side to her that’s definitely not understated, either. Or nice.”

:-D ^^

Thanks for your update. Please do something about Calleb! And don't let poor Willow in the restroom too much longer? lol

Friendly,

Julia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next