The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Never No More
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:32 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky Feed me , Feed me more soon please !!!!!

Post subject: Never No More repsponses
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:44 pm 
3. Flaming O

JujuDeRoussie, Okay, okay, here you go. . . enjoy.

Dianneswillowtree, All right, all right, dinner is served. . . well, appetizers anyway. Thanks for reading.

EA

Post subject: Never No More, Chapter: Third
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:49 pm 
3. Flaming O

Title: Never No More
Author: EmeraldArcher
Email address: sixtiesgirl8@yahoo.com, or leave a message here on the board
Distribution: Please ask.
Spoilers: No spoilers. This is AU(If my understanding of AU is correct).
Rating: PG-13 to NC–17. This includes sex, violence, sexual violence, language.
Pairing: The gang’s all here. . . pretty much, just different.
Disclaimer: I didn’t create these characters. I make no profit from them.
Summary: AU. It’d spoil the fun if I told you.
Note: I haven’t ever tried writing AU fiction. Not sure how it will go. Also, no beta used, so any and all mistakes are mine. Am aiming for weekly updates, more so if work permits.
Thanks: To Xita, for having the site, and keeping the site.

Chapter: Third

Merritt glanced at the store windows as she walked by, amazed that there were still so many independently-run businesses left in Sunnydale. It wasn’t as if she had been gone for fifty years or anything, but still, times change and big corporations were taking over everything it seemed. She stopped briefly to look into the ‘Nothing Over $1’ store, trying to decide if she should buy a few essentials. Catching her reflection in the glass, she fingered the collar of her worn t-shirt and shifted her bag slightly. Not very attractive to say the least, and probably not the best thing to wear to make a good first impression on new employers.

Merritt entered, and slowly mazed her way toward the back of the store, where hand-painted signs directed her to the clothes section. ‘Section’ it seemed was a loose, somewhat exaggerated adjective, she soon discovered; ‘clothes rack’ was more appropriate. Merritt glanced around, checking shelves and boxes for any additional options. She laughed to herself, the humor of the situation catching up. Three years of wearing the same thing day-in-day-out, and here she was making a stink about there not being a big enough ‘selection.’ In the ‘Nothing Over $1’ store. In Sunnydale. She shook her head softly and began spinning through the shirts; finding a few she liked, she started toward the front to the register. Turning the corner out of the last aisle, she ran straight into someone else coming into it.

The force of the collision bounced Merritt backwards, and she suddenly found herself lying on her back on the hard linoleum floor, her belongings and would-be-purchases strewn around her. “Ow,” she said, rubbing her forehead. Sparkly white stars danced before her eyes. “Crap.”

“A-Are you all right?” a woman’s voice asked.

Merritt blinked and shook her head, then sat up. Sitting on the floor just a few feet away from her was, she surmised, the other collidee. The young woman was rubbing her cheek, just below her right eye. “Huh?”

The woman scooted onto her knees, then used the end cap to pull herself to her feet. She held a hand out to Merritt. “Are you hurt?”

Twinkle-Twinkle was a stubborn little star, but it finally flitted from sight. Merritt stared at the hand before her. “What?”

“Oh, God,” the woman said, her voice tinged with rising panic. “Concussion. It’s a concussion. You’ve got a concussion.”

Concussion? Merritt squinted and shook her head sharply. “No.” What? “Wait.”

“Emma! Call 911! Emma!”

“Wait,” Merritt said again. She reached out and took hold of the woman’s hand.

The woman squeezed Merritt’s hand instinctively, and then crouched down beside her. “Don’t move. You have a concussion. You shouldn’t move.”

“No,” Merritt said. “I’m fine.”

“B-But a concussion? It’s serious, it could be serious.”

Merritt couldn’t help herself. She smiled. “Really, I’m fine.” Without a thought, she reached up and gently touched the growing red welt on the woman’s cheek. “Are you okay?”

“Tara?” An older woman rounded the side of the end cap and stopped dead in her tracks. “Oh!”

Merritt yanked her hand away from the young woman’s face and, after realizing she was still holding her hand as well, pulled it free. “Sorry.” Merritt looked up at the older woman. “Ma’am.” Merritt scrambled for her bag and stood, wobbling briefly before straightening upright.

“Tara, what’s going on? What happened? Are you both all right?”

“Sorry, it was my fault.” Merritt glanced at the young woman, and backed away. “I’m really. . . sorry. . . sorry.” Turning quickly, she hugged her tattered brown bag under her arm and bolted from the store. Once outside, she rubbed her forehead and glanced back at the store. Idiot. . . idiot. . . idiot. . . . She started for The Sun again, shaking her head and berating herself. Idiot.

“Hey, wait!”

Merritt froze. Shit. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Shit. She listened as running feet approached. Shit.

“Hey!”

Merritt slowly turned and watched as the young blonde haired woman from the store jogged up to her. Oh, shit.

“Hey,” the woman said, out of breath. She smiled. “You’re fast.”

Merritt shifted her feet. “Uh. . . .”

“I just wanted to make sure. . . you’re really okay?”

Merritt relaxed. Nodded. “Yeah.”

“Good. Good. Okay.” She idly pointed to her own cheek. “Me, too.”

Merritt, for the second time, found herself smiling at the woman. “Good.”

“Oh! Here,” the blonde said, and lifted her hand toward Merrit; clutched in her fist were the shirts Merritt had dropped. Merritt stared at the shirts for a moment, then into the woman’s eyes. The woman lifted her hand higher in offering. “Your shirts.”

Merritt shook her head. “No.”

“You dropped them.”

“No. I mean, yeah, I’m sorry. I didn’t pick them up, I’m sorry.”

The woman waved her empty hand dismissively. “Oh, please.” She took a step towards Merritt. “Here.”

Merritt shook her head again. “No, it’s okay. I didn’t buy them.”

The woman smiled and laughed out loud. “It’s fine. Here.” When Merritt still hesitated, the woman tried one last thing. “You’ll just have to come back then sometime and pay me back.” She raised her eyebrows playfully. “Won’t you?”

Merritt stared. Dumbstruck. Is she. . . flirting? With me? No. . . no. . . that’s, just no. . . . Merritt swallowed and reached out for the shirts. “Okay,” was the only thing she could utter.

The woman smiled even brighter than before. “Great!” She stepped back from Merritt and waved. “I work Wednesdays through Sundays.” Then she turned around and started back to the store.

“Okay,” Merritt repeated.

“Oh!” The young woman stopped abruptly and turned around. “Ask for Tara, okay?!”

Merritt nodded and lifted the shirts in a $2.97 cottony salute. And then ‘Tara’ was gone. Merritt watched her go, until she could see her no longer, and then she continued on her own way. She smiled as she glanced at the shirts in her hand. “Okay. . . Tara.”

TBC
EA

PS Sorry for the double post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:35 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 1
Hey, I gotta say that was one memorable meeting for our girls. I felt so sorry for Merritt. It's like she thinks she's undeserving of kindness, and trying to run from any signs of trouble. Tara was very sweet though. I'm hoping her little flirt will bring Willow around to see her soon. I wonder when she'll recognize that name...hmm.

More soon please.

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

Post subject: Never No More Reply
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:54 pm 
3. Flaming O

wimpy0729,

Hey there, again, thanks for reading and taking time to respond. I’m a sucker for old-time screwball comedies I guess…you gotta love the cute-meet. And Merritt, understandably, has mixed feelings about a lot of things I’d say. Especially after where she's been. Maybe, as you say, Tara will be able to help her out with that…. Thanks for reading!

EA

Post subject: Never No More, Chapter: Fourth
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:01 pm 
3. Flaming O

Note: I haven’t ever tried writing AU fiction. Not sure how it will go. Also, no beta used, so any and all mistakes are mine. Am aiming for weekly updates, more so if work permits.

Chapter: Fourth

Merritt had a lot of time to ponder the true meaning of the sentence: “Rooms aren’t great, but they’re cheap.” Sheriff Summers’ selling point for The Sun was ‘kind,’ to say the least. The very least. Not an outright lie really. But. . . not totally the truth either. Wide awake for hours, Merritt lay on the small bed in her motel room, trying to pinpoint the exact nature and origin of the odor permeating the air inside the small space. If hard-pressed, she would have to say it was somewhere between sun baked road kill and Taboo perfume. There was definitely something to be said for concrete floors and walls. Not much. But something.

The sun was just starting to rise, edging its way through the faded curtains over the motel windows. Merritt yawned and got up. After a quick and cold shower, she was dressed and out the door. Albret Street was about a mile out, and with the sun at her back, Merritt started off at a brisk pace. The town was virtually dead at this time of morning, which was perfectly fine. She wasn’t much of a ‘morning person,’ and the mere thought of running into anyone at this ungodly hour was just too. . . ugh.

After ten minutes, she reached Albret and headed up the hill. The houses lining the street were, in Merritt’s opinion, more like mansions. Castle-type things even. Huge. Enormo. She glanced at numbers as she walked, not surprised to discover that the Maclay house was the very last house, at the very top of the hill, at the end of the street. Holy crap. She was breathing hard when she finally walked up to the front door. Doors. A brass dragon’s head knocker adorned each, and she banged the nose ring against the knocker several times while she tried to calm her nerves and catch her breath. As she reached for the knocker once more, the door opened.

An elderly man, dressed in a black tux with tails, looked at her momentarily before speaking. “May I help you?”

Holy crap. Merritt cleared her throat. “Uh, Sheriff Summers sent me?”

“Are you asking me?”

Merritt paused, somewhat baffled. “What? Uh, no, no.” Merritt held up the small piece of paper. “This is the Maclay house?”

“Yes, it is.”

“Sheriff Summers sent me. For a job?”

The man lifted his chin slightly. “Of course.” He pointed a finger to Merritt’s right. “Please go around the side of the house and ask for George.” And with that, he stepped back and closed the door in her face.

Merritt stood still for a moment, staring at the dragon knocker staring back at her. She pocketed the piece of paper and turned away. “Okay.” Nice talking to you. Merritt walked around the side of the house, as instructed, and followed a long path to a side gate; she pushed it open and stepped through, closing it tightly behind her. She walked on, taking in the overwhelming size of the backyard. Merritt reached the end of the path, where stone met grass, and just stared wide-eyed. Backyard? Ha! Right. The ‘yard’ seemed to go on forever. Grass. Trees. Rocks. Running fountains. Gazebo. Lush mountainside forestry. Holy crap.

“May I help you?”

Merritt jumped at the voice. She turned and faced the owner. “I’m, sorry, I— I’m looking for George?”

The man smiled softly. “Jorge.”

Merritt felt a blush rise on her neck. “Oh, I’m sorry, that. . . that man, he said George. I’m sorry.”

The man nodded in understanding. He held out a hand. “Jorge Arau.”

Merritt took his hand in hers and shook it firmly. “Merritt Carver.” They released hands and Merritt cleared her throat. “Um, Sheriff Summers sent me. For a job.”

Jorge nodded again and gestured for Merritt to follow him. “Sheriff Summers is very good.”

“Yeah,” Merritt replied, as she followed behind. “She seemed. . . nice.”

They walked further into the yard, down a small sloping hill. In the short distance, Merritt could see what looked like a guesthouse. She glanced behind them, realizing that they were far enough away from the house that if she screamed— for whatever reason— most likely no one would hear her. Jorge opened the door to the small house and motioned for Merritt to go inside. She took one last look behind her, and went inside.

It wasn’t a guesthouse.

Merritt stopped just inside the door and stared. Holy. Crap.

It was an Extreme Makeover dream. A Home Depot bonanza. The very highest of Lowe’s. Every possible gardening and landscaping implement in the history of history was parked, mounted, or hung over every inch of the small house. “Wow,” Merritt whispered.

Jorge laughed and moved past Merritt to a cabinet in the corner. He opened a drawer and pulled out a dark blue coverall and baseball cap. He held them out to Merritt. “You wear this when you work.”

“Okay.”

Jorge took a small tool belt from a hanging post and gave it to Merritt. “And this.”

“Okay.”

Next he took a clipboard and pen and handed them to her. “Fill this out.”

“Okay.”

“When you finish, change and come find me at the lake.” He smiled one last time and left.

“Lake?” Holy crap. Merritt sat down on the seat of one of three lawn mowers, and looked at the paper on the clipboard. The title of the document was “Application for Employment,” but as Merritt flipped through the two dozen or more pages, an image of the Magna Carta came more readily to her mind. “Okay.” She sighed and began.

“It’s hard work.” Another sentence that Merritt would need to consider. When she could think again. Or move for that matter.

Once Merritt had completed the application and changed into the working clothes, she had found Jorge, as he said, ‘down by the lake.’ He didn’t waste much time with her knowledge, or lack thereof, of gardening or landscaping. He simply handed her a rake, some trash bags, and a small cooler. So, she had raked. And bagged. And raked. And bagged. All the way around the lake. Three hundred and sixty degrees around. She had stopped only once, for a quick sandwich and bottle of water, before she continued on. She hefted the bags up the hill from the lake and dumped the contents into the compost shredder. Up and down the hill she went, over two dozen times. By the time she had finished, Merritt was pretty sure that there wasn’t a single leaf left on the property. She certainly hoped there wasn’t. She trudged up the hill for the last time, dropping off her tool belt inside the gardening house.

Merritt started to unzip her coveralls. The sound of shuffling outside made Merritt turn towards the door. Jorge came around the corner and looked inside. He smiled, and nodded. “You can take those home.” Merritt looked at him.

Merritt paused mid-zip. “You’re. . . hiring me?”

Jorge walked into the house. He smiled and nodded. “You did good.”

Merritt wasn’t expecting a compliment. “Thanks.” After a second of silence, she asked, “You read my application?”

“Yes.”

“All of it?”

“Yes. Of course.”

“And you’re still— you’re hiring me?”

“I trust Sheriff Summers to send me people she trusts.” Merritt took a moment to think on that. Then nodded. Jorge nodded. “Tuesday, six a.m.”

Merritt smiled. “Six.” Jorge turned to leave. “Thanks,” Merritt called after him. He raised a hand in reply. Merritt slipped her arms out of the coveralls and wrapped the sleeves around her middle, securing them in a half-knot. She walked to the door and stared up the hill towards the Maclay house. “Okay.”

Merritt walked down Main Street, hands in the pockets of her coveralls. Muscles she hadn’t even known she had had begun to protest their continual use. But, since the only transportation she had available to her was bi-pedal, she had no choice but to ignore their complaints. And truthfully, the pain from physical over exertion felt good, felt freeing. And walking, alone and unguarded, felt magnificent.

Friday night had brought out Sunnydale residents en masse. Stores and restaurants and sidewalks and streets were filled with people. Merritt walked among them, but she realized quickly that she was not a part of them. And she probably wouldn’t be. Not again. Never again. The sounds of barking drew her attention, and she slowed as she approached the front of the pet store. Staring through the glass at the dozen or so puppies barking wildly and bounding all around their glass cage, Merritt couldn’t help but feel some kindred spirit emotions. She lifted a hand and softly tapped the glass. “I know exactly how you feel.”

Merritt continued down the street, not quite ready to face The Sun. The prospect of an entire weekend inside the tiny room was not appealing in the least. It actually made prison look inviting. And that was scary. She walked on, watching people and listening to snippets of passing conversations. Her thoughts wandered, and she realized that she had spoken to less than ten people since her release. Let’s see. . . Harris, bus driver, Sheriff Summers, Sun clerk, Maclay butler, Jorge, Tara. . . . Merritt stopped walking. Tara. Merritt turned and looked over her shoulder. The store where Tara worked was just across the street back just a ways. . . and she did owe her $2.97.

She shrugged and shook her head; glancing both ways she dashed across the street to the other side. She reached the store in a matter of seconds, but suddenly found she couldn’t continue inside. Should she really do this? Did Tara really want her to come back? To see her? Maybe Tara was just being nice to her after the whole tee shirt tragedy. Merritt slowly turned and took a few steps down the street. Then stopped. Tara seemed genuine in her interest, and enthusiasm, when they had talked. She could see if Tara’s cheek was better. And she really did owe her $2.97. She turned around and walked back to the storefront. And stopped. But Tara didn’t know her. Not at all. And it was probably better that way, when everything was said and done. Better for Tara, and better for her. Merritt closed her eyes and berated herself silently. Idiot. She turned and started away, purpose in her steps.

“Really?” A woman’s voice called out loudly behind her.

Merritt stopped, her feet suddenly frozen in place. Shit. She swallowed hard and turned around.

Tara was leaning against the building, arms crossed over her chest. Tara dropped her arms and pushed off the wall, taking a step towards her.

“Uh. . . .” Merritt stammered, unable to form a coherent answer.

“Tara,” the blonde supplied, pointing towards herself. Merritt seemed to come back to herself and nodded. Tara smiled and stopped in front of her. “After all that,” Tara continued, raising a finger and twirling it in the air between them, “you’re really not coming inside?”

Merritt’s brow crinkled slightly. All that. . . ? “Oh.” Merritt felt a blush rising at the thought of Tara seeing her walking back-and-forth like some shoot-em-up tin pan alley toy soldier. She must have looked like a total. . . idiot. “I. . . well, . . . no. . . I mean yes, I was. . . going to. . . .” Tara’s smile blossomed. “But. . . .” Tara’s smile faltered. “I just. . . .” Merritt raised a hand to push at her hair, and then brushed her hands over the sleeves of her coveralls nervously before pulling them tighter around her hips..

“Ahhhh,” Tara said. Then, she let her eyes travel over the redheaded woman before her. From the sun fired reds of her hair, to the slim, paleness of her throat, down, down, all the way down. . . and slowly up again. Until her eyes caught Merritt’s. Cuute. “You look fine.” Tara’s eyes dropped briefly to Merritt’s shirt, then returned. “Nice shirt,” she said and smiled again.

Unconsciously, Merritt’s hand went to the neckline of her tee shirt. “Uh. . . thanks.” Then, remembering, her eyes opened wide. “Oh!” Merritt shoved her hand into her pocket and pulled out a folded envelope; she held it out to Tara.

“What’s this?” Tara asked, as she reached out for the paper.

“For the shirts.” Tara’s hand froze just inches from the edge of the paper. “Two ninety-seven.”

Tara’s hand dropped to her side. “That’s not necessary.”

“But I— you said, ‘you’ll just have to come back then sometime and pay me back.’”

Tara’s eyebrows lifted. “That’s some recall you have. . . ?”

Merritt cleared her throat. Duh. “Carver. Merritt Carver.”

Tara smiled. “Well, it’s true, I did say that.” Merritt pushed the envelope out towards the blonde. “But the truth also is. . . I just wanted you to come back and see me.”

This time, Merritt’s hand was the one falling to her side. “Oh.” She cleared her throat again and felt a familiar heat burning up the skin of her throat. “Then, I— I guess, I don’t know, if you don’t want the money. . . .”

Tara jumped in. “You can take me out.”

Merritt stared. “What?”

“For a drink. Or dinner. Whatever.”

“What, like, you mean now?” Merritt asked without thinking. God, Carver. . . shut up.

Tara smiled. “Sounds great.”

Carver. . . oh, just shut up. Merritt shook her head, and despite the embarrassment and sheer idiocy she felt, she laughed. There was just something about this Tara. “Where should we. . . ?”

“Where do you want to go?”

“It’s your $2.97.”

Tara worried her bottom lip a moment as she pondered their choices. Then she snapped her fingers and started to backpedal towards the store. “Don’t move.” And then she turned and jogged back into the store.

Merritt stood still, as she was instructed, vaguely aware of the people moving around her. She took a deep breath. She could do this. It was just dinner. No big deal. Nothing to be concerned about. But as seconds seemed to draw into minutes, Merritt found herself beginning to get concerned.

And then Tara bounded out of the store with a sweater in one hand and a small bag in the other. “Ready?” Tara asked.

Merritt glanced at the bag quickly, then back at Tara. “Where are we going?”

Tara smiled and tipped her head as she started walking. “Follow me, Carver Merritt Carver.”

Merritt couldn’t help but smile as she shoved the envelope back into her pocket. Then, she jogged down the street and caught up to the blonde, the pain in her muscles all but a distant memory.

TBC

Last edited by EmeraldArcher on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:46 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Still loving this. I mean, when you mention Home Depot and Lowe's, that right there almost gave me a little happy. lol But to be honest, I'm hoping as forward as Tara is (which I love btw), and as long as Merritt was cooped up, they may be on their way to their own little happy...well, eventually.

It seems things are beginning to look up for Merritt, with a new job and a cutie flirting with her and asking her out. Now you have me curious about what's going to happen when Willow finds out Tara's last name, hmmm. That sounds like some house too. Hopefully Tara will help to improve Merritt's self esteem eventually. She deserves it. Oh, and the Sun Motel sounds lovely. I may have to reserve a room for my next vacation. lol

Please don't keep us waiting too long for more.

Wimpy

Post subject: Never No More responses
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:14 pm 
3. Flaming O

wimpy0729,

Glad you’re still liking the story. A fan of Home Depot and Lowe’s I take it? As for Tara and Merritt getting together? There are issues, as you say. And as for The Sun? I’ve stayed in a few like that, so. . . . Thanks for reading and for posting, it’s very much appreciated.

EA

Post subject: Never No More, Chapter: Fifth
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:18 pm 
3. Flaming O

I apologize for the double post.

Second note: Not too happy with this section, so I am just posting so I can move onto something better I hope.

Chapter: Fifth

“What are you, blind?!”

“Bad call, Ref!”

“You suck!”

All around her, Merritt listened to the shouts and screams of the spectators getting louder and angrier. She calmly bit into her hotdog and focused her attention on the game at hand.

“What a due-mas.”

This last remark came from Tara, and Merritt couldn’t help but look at the blonde. Tara was shaking her head, but her eyes were not on the game, they were on the man standing behind them, just to their left. Merritt turned to see who Tara was looking at, and then back to Tara. Curious, Merritt asked, “Dumas?” . . . the writer?

Tara pulled her eyes away from the bellowing man behind them and leveled them with Merritt’s. She stared into their deep green for several seconds before she blinked and shook her head. She smiled and leaned toward Merritt conspiratorially. “Dumbass,” she whispered, her breath fanning over Merritt’s ear.

Merritt stopped chewing. . . . what the. . ..

“I mean,” Tara continued, drawing slightly back so she could look into Merritt’s eyes again, “there are children present.”

Merritt swallowed hard. The way Tara was looking at her, almost like looking into her, completely through her, made Merritt pause. There was something too familiar in the gaze, and Merritt shifted uncomfortably and turned away to look out onto the soccer field.

A few dozen eight year olds were running around in one big clump, laughing loudly, chasing each other more than the ball. And they, unlike their parental spectators, were having the best of times and didn’t seem to care at all about the officiating or the final score.

Merritt watched silently. She couldn’t remember being that young. That free. Ever. It was all very strange, and somewhat disconcerting, to be sitting there, watching a soccer game, eating a hotdog. Strange. And unreal. What was she doing here? What had she been thinking, when she said yes? She shouldn’t be here. She should be at The Sun, in for the night. Before lights out. Lights out. Lights out. Lights out? Her brow furrowed. What the Hell. . . . What was she doing here? She needed to concentrate. On her job. On getting her life back in order. And what was Tara’s story? Why was she so nice? It wasn’t normal. No one was that nice. Not to a total stranger. What was she doing here?

“Merritt?”

Tara’s voice startled Merritt, making her jump. “What?” She looked at Tara, eyes wide. She felt her heart racing. What was she doing here? She shouldn’t be here. With all these people. With Tara.

“Are you all right?”

Merritt scooted away from Tara, scratching her forehead in an agitated manner. “I. . . I have to. . . go.” She stood up. Without looking back, she started down the bleachers, her shoes clomping loudly against the aluminum seating.

“Merritt!” Tara called after the retreating form. She grabbed the bag and raced after the redhead. “Merritt, wait!”

Merritt didn’t stop. She rounded the last corner and bolted out of the gate onto the sidewalk. What the Hell. . . .

“Merritt! Wait!” Tara caught up and dropped into step with her. “What’s wrong?”

Merritt shook her head. “I have to go.”

Tara nodded. “I noticed.” They walked in silence for a few seconds. “What’s wrong? Are you late or something?”

Merritt shook her head. “Nothing.” She rubbed her forehead. “I just have to. . . .”

“Go,” Tara finished. “I know.” Tara paused. “I’m sorry. . . if I upset you, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. I was just—”

Again, Merritt shook her head. “You didn’t.”

“I did something,” Tara said, and stopped walking. She took a breath. “Merritt.”

Merritt walked for several more feet, then felt her legs slowing. She stopped, but didn’t turn. What. Am. I. Doing.

Tara walked the last few feet and stopped beside Merritt. Her breathing was slowing, but she remained silent, unsure what to say. “I’m sorry,” she finally said.

Merritt shook her head, glanced at Tara briefly before looking away again. She moved across the sidewalk and stepped into the street before dropping to sit on the curb. Her hands hung limply over her knees.

Tara followed, sat beside her. She cleared her throat. “Merritt?”

Merritt looked off down the street. When was the last time anyone cared anything about her? Four years? No, longer than that. Way longer. She took a deep, sighing breath. This was territory she was not entirely comfortable traveling in. Being ‘locked up’ meant so much more than being behind bars. Way more. Years of hiding feelings and thoughts, of being quiet and obedient, of being invisible. . . how was she supposed to ever undo that? Could she? And how did she explain that to someone who had never experienced it? Could she? Did she even want to try? Would she ever want to?

“Should I go?”

Without thought, Merritt shook her head, but did not look at Tara. Then she took another deep breath. “I— it’s just. . . it’s just been a long time. . . since I. . . .” Merritt’s words trailed off in her uncertainty.

Tara waited. Then offered, “Watched Pee-Wee soccer?”

Merritt’s head swiveled toward Tara. But Tara’s expression was stoic. “No.”

Tara nodded, considering. “Ate a hotdog?”

The hint of a smile touched Merritt’s lips. “No.”

Tara nodded again. Then she raised her hands in an ‘I give up’ gesture.

Merritt stared at Tara a moment longer than looked into the street as cars passed by. She shrugged. “Did. . . anything. . . .”

Tara frowned. ‘Did anything.’ What does that mean? She shook her head. “‘Anything’? . . . ‘Anything’ what?”

Merritt rubbed a hand across her forehead. Shrugged again. Shook her head. “Personal. . . .”

Tara stared at Merritt, trying to decipher the meaning of her words. The woman certainly didn’t transmit too much information. “I’m not sure— what do you mean ‘personal’?”

Merritt was quiet, contemplating her response. What could she say? No, really, what could she say? Prison wasn’t exactly conducive to private time, or personal time, or any other kind of time except the ‘doing’ of time. She didn’t know Tara. No matter how nice she was. No matter how. . . . She didn’t know her. She didn’t. And Tara did not know her. At all. So what could she say then? Why outside made her nervous. Why people made her nervous. Why closeness, intimacy, personal contact, why all of those things made her nervous. Why. . . well, why Tara made her nervous. How exactly was she supposed to tell anyone about that?

Merritt took a deep breath. “Look, Tara, I—”

Tara knew where this was going. Any sentence— any sentence— that started with ‘Look, Tara’ would certainly not end well. Tara shifted quickly and faced Merrit. “Wait,” she said, holding a hand up in some lame crossing guard stop signal. “Whatever you’re going to say, just. . . just wait.”

Merritt waited.

Tara swallowed. “I’m sorry.” Merritt opened her mouth to speak but Tara gestured for her to remain silent. “I know you said I didn’t, but I obviously did. Do something to upset you. I’m sorry. I was fooling around. I’m sorry. You’re uncomfortable— I made you feel uncomfortable, and I’m sorry. Really.” Again Merritt started to speak, but Tara shook her head. She swallowed before continuing. “You’re the first person I. . . .” Tara took a quick breath. “It’s. . . .” Tara looked to the night sky while she got her thoughts just right. “I don’t have a lot of friends,” she said quietly, then turned to look at Merritt. “I’d like to be your friend. I’d. . . I’d like us to be friends.” She clasped her hands together, nervously rubbing one thumb against the other.

Merritt stared at Tara. Waiting. Still. Quiet.

The silence between them became overwhelmingly loud.

“Um,” Tara started, squeezing her hands together tightly. “You can speak now.”

Merritt waited. Friends? She considered her own words before speaking. Friends. . . with Tara. . . . Then, “Okay.”

Tara’s smile widened. “Okay?” Merritt nodded. “Okay. Great. Okay.” Tara nodded. Waited. Looked out at the street, at the passing cars and wandering people. “Okay.”

Okay. . . friends. . . friends with Tara. . . . Merritt’s thoughts were racing. Almost as fast as her pulse. What in Hell was going on? Had she just made a mistake. Friends. Friends. Could she be Tara’s friend? Could she be anyone’s friend? Friends confided, right? Told each other things? Secrets? Could she tell Tara? Her secrets? Would Tara want to know them? Would Tara understand?

“You want to get coffee?”

Merritt startled at the sound of Tara’s voice. “Wh-what?”

“Coffee?” Tara asked again. “You want to get some?”

“Oh,” Merritt said. “Oh, um. . . .” She cleared her throat. “No. . . thank you. . . no. Actually,” Merritt continued, getting to her feet and swiping her hands over the seat of her overalls. “I, um, I think I should. . . .” She hitched a thumb over her shoulder dismissively.

“Oh,” Tara said. “Okay.” She stood, stepped up to the sidewalk. “Are you working tomorrow?”

“Working?” Get a grip, Carver. “No. . . no.”

Tara smiled. “I get off at two.” Merritt stared. Blinked. “We should do something.”

Merritt considered. “Okay.” Carver! Shut up.

“Call me tomorrow.”

Merritt nodded dumbly. Watched Tara step around her and spin so she walked a step backwards. Then, “Call?”

“Maclay.”

“What?” Merritt blinked. She didn’t hear that right.

“Phone book. Maclay, comma, Tara.” She walked backwards, away from Merritt.

“Maclay?”

Tara smiled. Pointed at herself. “The one and only.” She turned and tossed a wave over her shoulder.

Maclay. . . Maclay? Tara. . . Maclay. Merritt stared at Tara’s back until she turned the corner and disappeared. Then she started towards The Sun. Her mind went into overdrive. Maclay. What were the odds of that? Merritt shoved her hands into her pockets and took a deep breath. “Okay.”

TBC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:16 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

EmeraldArcher,

Hey there. I just caught up on reading and this is a really interesting story so far. I like the characters, they aren't too close to cannon so far, but there are hints of each person there. You write with a good mix of detail and dialogue (not too much of either which is nice). I am very interested to see where you take this so please keep it up.

"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep - it's as simple and ordinary as that."
Michael Cunningham, The Hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:40 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
yay updates! i remember reading this when i got back at the end of the summer and soaked it up like lemonade, it was so good. i'm so glad to see you continuing.

i find the premise so interesting. willow as merritt carver(by the way, cool. ass. name. i wish someone would've named ME that. i think it's funny that you found the one name cooler than 'willow') the recently departed prisoner leaves so much to work with. and you've described her fears and anxieties so palpably that i'm finding myself just as paranoid.

and tara! i adore her too. for different reasons, obviously. she's not Buffyverses Tara, if anything I like her more than the one we know and love. she's so confident and quirky and snarky and she's got this vivaciousness about her that makes me wish she was my best friend.

and of COURSE she's the maclay. becuase the universe just couldn't make merritt's life any more difficult?

i can't wait to see what happens, thanks so much for this

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:46 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hey, glad to see you back with this interesting story.

Poor Merritt is such a mess. She can't even go out and let herself enjoy her newfound freedom. It's going to be a long, hard road for her. I'm glad Tara is sticking with her and let's her know she really does want to be her friend. I'm hoping she doesn't let the Maclay name freak her out too much and make her think Tara wouldn't want anything to do with her if she found out about her. I hope she sees that Tara is genuine and she'll be able to open up to her and not be afraid. Well, eventually, but I have a feeling it's going to take a while.

So please update soon, so we can get her on the road to recovery and let her and Tara maybe be more than friends.

Loved it!

Wimpy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:30 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hi, good to see more of this story.

Wow, this Merritt is really shut down, isn't she? and having such a hard time just even thinking about doing normal things. I like the way Tara is both shy and forward at once, as though there is something about Merritt that draws her out of her usual behaviour.

Interested to see where this goes. Thanks.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

Post subject: Never No More responses
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:17 pm 
3. Flaming O

A few responses, even though late:

pipsberg, Hey there. Thanks for taking the time to read my story. I’m glad that the characters seem familiar enough to you but are different, as I’ve never written AU before and I’m still not sure I’m doing it right. I was trying something different with the limited dialogue and description. Normally I am a lot more verbose, but I have gotten some good feedback on the style so that is nice. I definitely will finish; may take some time, but it will be done. Thanks for reading and posting comments, and I hope you keep with it.

Zooeys_Bridge, I’ve never had anyone compare my writing to lemonade before, but it seems like you enjoy both so that’s good! You like Merritt’s name? I have always liked the name Merritt, but never had the wherewithal to use it in anything until now; as for Carver, it just kind of happened. Merritt Carver, Merritt Carver. Good name. I agree. I am glad that Merritt’s feelings of fear and inadequacy and everything else is coming across effectively. Having never been to prison myself, I have only books and my imagination to utilize…. And Tara. Quite frankly, she is the more difficult of the two to actually write. I’m not sure why though. It just hasn’t been seamless. I am glad you like her though, and even more than Buffyverse Tara? Wow. That is high praise. Thanks for that. And as for the Maclay situation, yes, it should be interesting to say the least. So, thanks for reading, and taking the time to post such nice words. It’s greatly appreciated. I hope you stay with it to the end.

wimpy0729, I am glad to be back to this story. Real life has kept me away longer than I would’ve liked. Yes, Merritt is a mess, but with good reason. And I think Tara trying so hard may have freaked her out a bit, but when Tara showed her own fears… Merritt understood a bit that she maybe isn’t as alone as she thought. Still, it will be, as you say, “a long road” but maybe it’ll be a smoother trip with Tara along for the ride. I hope you stick around to find out what happens, and I hope you continue to enjoy the story! Thanks for the kind words!

spells42, First I have a confession to make… I have always wondered about your name: spells42? spells42? What could it mean? What was the significance of the number 42? And then I said it out loud: spells forty-two, spells forty-two...spells for two. Oh. Ah. I’m pretty quick that way. Anyway, yes, Merritt is still “in prison” I think, and it’s not something that she is able to get over quickly. Learned behavior isn’t always easy to unlearn. Maybe Tara will be able to help in that regard. Glad your interested in finding out where it might all lead to for them, and I hope you stick around. Thanks for the kind comments.

Thanks to everyone who is reading, and extra thanks to those leaving feedback. It's appreciated.

EA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:53 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Oh wow! I just started reading this fic and I have to say that the way you write is wonderful! I can really feel merritt's pain and uncertainty. Thank you for writing this fic. I hope to see more soon! Wonderful. Just wonderful. ;-)

Me: Well, go kiss her and find out.

*five seconds later after the smack..*

My friend: Nope. Straight.

Post subject: Never No More Responses
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:57 pm 
3. Flaming O

I apologize for the delay. No excuse really.

excentric, I apologize for taking so long to reply to your feedback. Thank you for your nice words. I am glad you like my writing and that you like the story too. Hopefully you’ll keep with it.

EA

Post subject: Never No More, Chapter: Sixth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:01 pm 
3. Flaming O

Chapter: Sixth

“You fuckin’ cunt!”

Merritt turned. She watched as the owner of that vicious, hateful voice moved across the small space of yard and smashed a fist against another woman’s face. Skin exploded on contact, a fine red mist spraying anyone within a half dozen foot radius. Merritt jumped to her feet, stunned at the ferocity and swiftness of the blitz attack.

Women around Merritt sprang to their feet as well. But, unlike Merritt, they pushed toward the fray, gleeful smiles on each of their faces. A surging sound began, as dozens of other women rushed forward and created a circle around the attacker and the attack-ee, shouting and cheering the sudden act of violence.

Someone bumped Merritt’s shoulder as she ran past and Merritt stumbled forward a step. Regaining her balance, she took a few steps away from the widening mass of women, pushing her back against the chain link fence.

Women were shouting, raising fists and pushing one another as the two women at the center continued to punch and kick and claw at one another. The woman who had been punched, was on her feet, hands shaped like claws, and was charging towards her attacker.

Merritt turned her eyes upward, towards the nearest tower; she watched as the two guards simply watched the upheaval, neither moving to raise an alarm. That was a bad sign. “Oh . . . shit.” She moved back from the crowd, hugging the fence and backpedaling as quickly as she could. When she was a safe distance away, she turned—

—and came face to face with four other women, all quiet, all staring at her.

Merritt looked quickly to the tower once more, and her eyes widened as she watched the guards slowly turn away from the melee and walk inside the booth.

“You’re mine.”

Merritt turned back to the group, but didn’t even have time to register a thought to run or scream or duck before the flash of silver came at her.

One second she was standing. The next, she was slumped against the fence, her abdomen on fire, her blood flowing over her hands like water.

It was all so fast.

“Fucking bitch!”

And then, all she could do, was watch as they surrounded her, moving in, hands and boots coming at her mercilessly.

Merritt awoke with a strangled scream. Her arms flailed outwards, warding off blows that had already met their marks, that had already done their damage. Heaving for air, shaking uncontrollably, she grabbed at her shirt, pulling it up to inspect her body.

No wound.

No blood.

Only scars.

Only memories. . .

. . .and bad dreams.

She swallowed, and tried to take deep breaths. She kicked her legs over the side of the bed and walked shakily over to the small table near the window. She dropped down in the chair and propped her elbows on the table, resting her head in her hands.

“Fuck. . . .”

She slowly sat back. Taking another deep breath, she grabbed a cigarette from the pack and lit it, taking a good long drag. Her hand still shook as she tossed the lighter onto the table. She pulled back the flimsy curtain and stared out into the night. She shook her head softly, knowing there was no more sleep for her tonight. She released the curtain and let her hand drop to rest over her stomach. She could feel the raised roughness of the scar through her shirt. She moved her hand to the chair’s arm. Released a deep breath.

“Okay.”

By early afternoon, Merritt had showered, dressed, and straightened what little mess there was in the small hotel room. Her eyes burned from lack of sleep, but keeping busy meant no time to sleep. Which meant no time to dream. Which was all good as far as she was concerned.

Tired of her self-imposed confinement, Merritt headed out. She hadn’t seen much of Sunnydale since her return, but she felt compelled to return to the center of town.

To Main Street.

Merritt wandered towards the small coffee shop. It was full-to-overflowing. Singles. Couples. Families. Merritt thought that she must have been absent the day coffee became all the rage. She shook her head. She was absent for a lot of things. It took awhile, but she finally got her black coffee, and found an empty seat near a front window.

People and cars littered the sidewalks and streets. She’d been gone quite some time, it was true, but she always asked herself the same question: why stay in Sunnydale? And not just on a weekend. But for life. Why did everyone stay? It wasn’t a booming commercial city. It wasn’t much of a city at all. But everyone seemed to like it all the same. Everyone seemed to stay all the same.

Some even returned.

Came home.

She did.

She returned.

Not the same.

No, not ever the same.

Merritt’s eyes moved towards the store across the street. ‘Nothing Over $1.’ She smiled. Softly shook her head.

Tara.

Maclay.

Tara Maclay.

What were the odds that Tara Maclay was related to her employer? In Sunnydale? Pretty good, she’d bet. Better than even. She sipped her coffee. Should she tell Tara that she worked for a Maclay? Maybe. Maybe not. That kind of statement would lead to questions. What did she do? How long? How’d she get the job? Merritt smiled. Now that would be an interesting answer: ‘Sheriff Summers got me the job, part of my parole from prison. So, coffee?’ Merritt shook her head again. No. No, she wouldn’t talk about it. If Tara brought it up, she’d avoid it. As long as she could.

Merritt glanced at her watch. Took a few last sips of her coffee and dumped it. She left the coffee shop and headed to the payphone outside the pharmacy next door. She rifled through the phonebook until she found the single entry: ‘Maclay, Tara 555-6812.’ Merritt’s eyes moved up one line: ‘Maclay, Donald 555-6508.’ Merritt glanced around. She pulled the page from the book quickly and folded it into her pocket. She dropped a couple quarters into the machine and dialed. It rang several times, before picking up:

Hi, it’s Tara. Leave a message.

BEEP

“Uh. . . uh, this is Merritt. It’s. . . I’m calling. I’m at the pharmacy.” Merritt clunked her forehead against the booth. “Anyway. . . I’m calling. Bye.” She hung up. Clunked her head a few more times. Why was this so hard? What was it about Tara? What made her so nervous around Tara?

Not even around Tara.

Just all the time about Tara.

Merritt turned around and sat on the bench beside the phone. She felt like a complete idiot. She glanced at her watch: 1:49.

What was it about Tara?

Merritt leaned back. Crossed her arms. Stared across the street at the thrift store.

What was it about Tara?

Merritt didn’t have an answer for that question.

Not yet.

But she was going to find it.

TBC
EA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:22 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hey there. So glad to see an update to this interesting story. Again, poor Merritt, still haunted by her past. And her little trip back out into public, when she realizes just how much the world has changed while she was away, just a constant reminder to her of her past. Well, at least she got up the nerve to call Tara, even though she was so close to her. I hope she figures out what it is about Tara that keeps her on her mind soon. And hopefully, she can help her begin to heal in many ways.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Wimpy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:35 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

You're back! so glad to see an update to this interesting fic.

Merritt's dream/memory of being attacked in prison was shocking - really brings home her vulnerability while there, and makes her current state of nerves a lot more understandable.

different numbers for Tara and donald, hmmmm? I wonder if the property where Merritt works belongs to Tara or Donald - I'm guessing Donald for various reasons. That leads me to wonder how Tara will react to the news that Merritt works there. It's all very intriguing - just how I like it.

btw, don't worry about not 'getting' the sig. I'm sure many don't.

Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:13 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Yesss, update! I love updates, have I mentioned? There's just something about this fic that's undeniably dragging me towards it. I really really really want more-to see what happens next, to see what happened earlier(why was Merritt in prison? How is Tara's relationship with her father?), to see how M/T are when they get together.

And, I dunno, maybe I'm a little sick, but there's something about that torturous angst of a beat up Willow that gets to me. The fact that her prison stay was clearly traumatic and horrific just magnetizes me to this story even more. Dunno why, maybe becuase of how far she rises above? I dunno.

But, but, but I'm so excited to see that and to know you're still writing, even if it's few and far between. 'Cause then I get to remind myself every few months just how incredible this story really is. God, Tara, get to her soon. I don't think our little Merritt can do it all on her own.

Post subject: Never No More, responses
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:43 pm 
3. Flaming O

Sorry for the delay in responding, and in posting. Here we go:

wimpy0729, Merritt. Yes, still haunted by who she is. Yes, the world has moved on without her. Yes, she called Tara, even though she was across the street from her. Merritt has some issues, that’s true… but I think you’re right, Tara will be helping her with it. . . Thanks for reading and leaving feedback. It’s great to read what people think.

spells42, hi, Anne. Yes, back, though sparsely. Merritt’s dream was meant to shock, so I’m glad that it did. I do think, as you say, it helps to show why she might be a bit paranoid and nervous. I think you are the only respondant who has brought up the two different phone numbers and how Tara might or might not react to Merritt working at the “Maclay” mansion. I hope, as the story reveals itself, you’ll like what it all means. Thanks for reading and posting comments. It’s appreciated.

Zooeys_Bridge, lol, yes, I think you have mentioned that you are of the “liking updates” variety. And, since you don’t have a lot of questions (“…what happened earlier(why was Merritt in prison? How is Tara's relationship with her father?), to see how M/T are when they get together.”) I think we can keep this brief, lol. And, I don’t think you’re necessarily “sick” to like a “…torturous angst of a beat up Willow that gets to me.” As you say, starting from the bottom, it can be very intriguing to see how someone gets out, survives. I wish I could say that updates will be more frequent, but I don’t know. I hope you stay with the story. Thanks for reading, and also for commenting.

Thanks everyone for reading and commenting. Post below.

EA

Post subject: Never No More, Chapter: Seventh
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:53 pm 
3. Flaming O

Chapter: Seventh

“Do you have any of the Sheers’ Noodles left?” A small, elderly woman approached Tara, shopping list and coupons in hand.

Tara stood in the center aisle of the small ‘Nothing Over $1’ store. She surveyed the crowded shelves before lifting her chin and calling out: “Do we have any of the Sheers’ Noodles left?”

Emma came around the far corner of the aisle carrying a case of the boxed noodles in question. She smiled at Tara as she walked past. “Use the diaphragm, Tara, you’ll get more volume.” Tara stuck her tongue out at her and laughed. Emma winked. “Mrs. Vickers, how are you?”

Tara walked away, towards the front register. She glanced at the clock over the door: 1:42. Not even twenty minutes left in her work day, but Tara was ready to leave. She glanced out the front window. Main Street was busy, as usual for the weekend. She watched people walking, talking, laughing. She smiled. She glanced at the clock again: 1:43. She rolled her eyes.

Emma walked out from the aisle and around the counter. She opened a book and looked at Tara. “What’s the matter with you?”

Tara looked at her. “Nothing.”

Emma nodded, unconvinced. She dropped her eyes to the book.

Tara watched her. Then, “Nothing’s wrong.”

Emma smiled to herself, closed the book. She faced Tara and leaned on the counter. “You’ve been staring at that clock all day.”

Before Tara could deny the statement, Emma’s eyebrows lifted. Tara sighed. “I was hoping someone would call.” She glanced at the clock: 1:44. To Emma, “Before two.”

Emma nodded. “Ah.” She glanced at her watch. “It’s not two yet.”

Tara shook her head. “No.” Emma waited. “She would’ve called before now.” Tara sighed. “If she was going to.”

“She who?”

Tara moved to the register and gathered receipts. “Merritt.”

Emma thought. “Merritt? Who’s that?”

Tara opened the register and placed the receipts inside. “From the other day.” She closed the drawer.

“The girl you knocked down?”

“Hey!” Tara put her hands on her hips. “We knocked each other down.”

Emma laughed. “Right.”

Tara made a face. “We went to the game last night.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah.” Tara turned her back on Emma, sorted the candy. Emma didn’t respond. Tara glanced at her. “What?” Emma shook her head. Tara turned. “What?”

Emma shrugged. “What’s her last name?”

Tara frowned. “Carver.”

Emma considered. “Is she from Sunnydale?”

Tara considered. “I don’t know.”

“Is she a student?”

Tara shifted her feet. “I don’t know.”

Emma paused. “Does she work?”

“I don’t know.” Tara set the candy down. “What’s with the twenty questions?”

Emma shook her head. “Nothing.” Tara waited. “You don’t know much about her.”

Tara smiled softly. “That’s why people go out, ya’ know? To get to know each other better?”

“I know.”

“Then what?”

“Just be careful, okay?”

Tara frowned. Careful? “That’s a weird thing to say.”

Emma took a step towards Tara. “I’m sorry, honey. I just— I just don’t want you to get hurt is all, okay?”

Tara took one of Emma’s hands in both of her own. “I know. Me neither.” She smiled. “I’m not exactly the wild-and-crazy-go-for-broke gal type.”

Emma squeezed Tara’s hand briefly before letting go. “Well, the right girl could change all that.”

Tara laughed. “Yeah, well, don’t hold your breath. She didn’t call.”

Emma gathered some paperwork from beneath the counter. “She was calling here?”

Tara packed the last of the candy away. “Huh?”

“You gave her the store’s number?"

Tara stood up. Turned to Emma. “No.”

Emma smiled and walked towards the back of the store.

Tara pulled her cell phone from her back pocket. Dialed her home number. Waited. Pushed in her code. Waited. Then: “Uh. . . uh, this is Merritt. It’s. . . I’m calling. I’m at the pharmacy. Anyway. . . I’m calling. Bye.” Tara hit save and disconnected. She looked up at the clock: 1:59. . . 2:00. She jogged around the counter towards the front window: Merritt was across the street, sitting on the bench in front of the pharmacy. As Tara watched, Merritt stood up and allowed two elderly women to sit down. Tara smiled, untied her work apron, and turned away from the window.

What was it about Merritt?

Tara didn’t have an answer for that question.

Not yet.

But she was going to find it.

TBC
EA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:11 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

yees! dibs

aw, this was so good.

I absolutely adore your Tara. I don't think one as fresh as yours has come around in a while, and I just can't get enough of here, even with just the insy bit you've painted. She reminds me of that classic home-down girl who wears the short jean shorts(drool) and the yellow work boots, flashes that brilliant smile everywhere and knows everyone in town. God, that girl is so sexy, isn't she? Mmm mmmm mm mm mmm!

I love Merritt's little awkward message. It's adorable, but at the same time really hits home what the poor girl has been though. Awful, awful things I'm thinkin'(especially with that little flashback from your last chapter that I just reread, which is still so good).

I dunno why this story doesn't get more hits and comments, because it's really so good. So sorry about that, but if I could post for twenty people, I totes would.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:42 pm 
3. Flaming O

yay, hurray for the update. I love your characterisations, especially Merrick.
Update soon :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:59 am 
3. Flaming O

Hey
It's the first time I read your story and i couldn't help but finish the hole two pages of updates in one sit, if I say that your story is amazing I wont be giving you enough creadit it's something else I couldn't help but fall in love with it.

I like your charachters and their behaviours it's absulotly adorble. I feel bad for Merritt because the things she went through. she need to losen up and Tara is the right person.

Thanks again for this wonderful update. you story is offically is one of my faviourite plz update soon.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:49 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Amazing just amazing I wonder why I didn't read this story before but now I will be waiitng for it. Great work

Post subject: Never No More Responses
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:26 pm 
3. Flaming O

Let's just get to it:

Zooeys_Bridge, I am glad you like my version of Tara so much. That is very gratifying. You are very funny with your “. . . classic home-down girl who wears the short jean shorts(drool) and the yellow work boots, flashes that brilliant smile everywhere and knows everyone in town. God, that girl is so sexy, isn't she? Mmm mmmm mm mm mmm!” You should really write more! I agree, Merritt is awkward and pretty messed up – with good reason, though. It will be interesting to see what you think as more of the story and characters are unraveled. I look forward to your comments. And as for not too many readers or posts, what’s the old saying? It’s quality, not quantity that counts? I have very high quality readers, and that’s just fine with me! Thanks for reading.

KloeFrost, first, I have to say, your avatar totally made me laugh out loud! That is downright hi-larious! I am glad that you like the story, though “amazing” is maybe too high of praise?? Lol. Thanks so much for reading and I hope you stick around as it continues.

Chummy, hello there. Thank you so much for the kind words. I take it as a high compliment that you read the whole thing in one sitting. And, that you count it as one of your favorites? Wow, thank you. I agree that Merritt does need a little sympathy, and I think over time, she will “loosen up,” as it were. I think that right now though, she’s still in a little shock after where she’s been. We’ll see what happens. . . Thanks so much for reading and for taking time out to leave feedback. It’s very much appreciated.

Niko, lol, I can only say that you don’t need to wait any longer! (see below)

Thanks everyone!
EA

Post subject: Never No More, Chapter: Eighth
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:32 pm 
3. Flaming O

Chapter: Eighth

Merritt pushed her hands into the front pockets of her jeans, shifted from one foot to the other. She watched people pass by, dropped her eyes if they glanced her way. She shifted her feet again.

“Are you waiting for someone?”

Merritt turned. The elderly woman sitting at the end of the bench was looking at her. “What?” Merritt looked around. “Me?”

The woman smiled. “Yes. Are you waiting for someone?”

Shit. . . . “Uh, . . . ” Merritt shifted nervously. “I. . . .” She shook her head softly. “No, I was, um, I was just, um. . . .” She started away from the bench, her head down.

“Really?”

Merritt froze mid-step. Shit. . . . She turned towards the voice.

Tara jumped up onto the sidewalk and walked closer. She stopped in front of the bench. “After the phone call? And the waiting? And the politeness?” Tara glanced at the two women on the bench. “Hello, Mrs. Bower. Mrs. Hunt.” The two women nodded and smiled.

Merritt swallowed. “Uh, . . . .”

Tara’s eyebrows lifted. She pointed a finger at her own chest. “Tara.”

Merritt stole a glance at the two elderly women; they were staring at her. Merritt looked at Tara. “I. . . I know your name.”

“Well, I’d hope so.” Tara’s smile blossomed. “After last night.”

Merritt’s eyes grew wide. What the. . . what? She threw her eyes towards the two old women; they turned their eyes from Tara to her, waiting. Merritt dropped her eyes and glanced at the street. She took a few steps towards Tara. “Ah. . . .”

“Carver Merritt Carver,” Tara said, her voice light with mirth. Merritt stopped just before Tara, looked up at her. “You’re too easy.” Tara laughed.

Merritt pulled a hand from her pocket, ran it through her hair. She nodded. “Okay. . . .”

“I’m sorry,” Tara said. She pressed a hand over her mouth, trying to cover her laughter.

Merritt smirked. Nodded again. She cast a glance to the two elderly women. They smiled. Merritt tipped her head towards Tara. “Comedienne.” The women tittered. Merritt turned back to Tara. The blonde had stopped laughing, but, her smile remained. “What?”

Tara shook her head. Tara waved at the two women and began walking.

Merritt fell into place beside Tara. She pushed her hand back into her pocket. After they had passed a few stores, Merritt glanced at Tara. “So, um. . . .”

Tara looked at Merritt and smiled. “Are you hungry?”

Merritt considered. “I could eat.”

Tara nodded. She pointed ahead of them. “There’s a nice place up the street.”

“Okay.”

They walked half a block in silence.

“Here we go.” Tara opened the door and waited.

Merritt looked up at the sign above the door. ‘Espresso Pump.’ She walked inside and waited for Tara.

Tara walked in and glanced around. She pointed to a table in back. “There’s one.”

They wove through tables and customers. Tara took the seat against the wall. Merritt glanced around and sat, her back to the rest of the establishment.

A waitress approached. She set two menus on the table. “I’ll give you a minute.”

“Thank you,” Tara replied. She picked up her menu.

Merritt glanced over her shoulder, then picked up her menu. She read a few words, then glanced over her shoulder. She shifted in her seat. She read a few more words, then glanced over her shoulder.

Tara looked at Merritt over the top of her menu. After Merritt’s second glance over her shoulder, she spoke. “Are you okay?”

Merritt looked at Tara. “What?”

Tara lowered the menu. “Is there something wrong?”

“No.” Merritt shook her head, embarrassed. She stared at her menu. Christ, just chill, you idiot. After a few seconds, Merritt shifted, scooted her chair to the right, more perpendicular to the table.

Tara lifted her eyes from her menu again. She watched Merritt in silence for as long as she could. “Merritt.”

Merritt looked up from her menu. “What?”

“Do you want to sit here?”

“What?” Merritt frowned slightly. Nice, Carver, real nice. “No, no. I’m fine.”

Tara smiled softly. “Really? Cause you seem kind of. . . uncomfortable.”

Merritt rubbed a hand across her forehead. “Yeah. I mean, no. No, I’m really ok—”

Tara stood up. “Move.”

“Tara, really.”

Tara stepped over beside her. “You’re in my seat.”

Merritt sighed. Dumbass! She stood up and moved around Tara. “Sorry,” she said as she sat down.

Tara sat and turned the chair so she faced Merritt straight on. She smiled. “It’s fine. I understand.”

Merritt froze. She understands? Understands. . . what?

Tara waved a hand vaguely in Merritt’s direction. “Gunslinger seat.”

Merritt frowned. She shook her head. “The what?”

Tara crossed her arms on the table and leaned forward. “The gunslinger seat. You know, the seat in the corner of the room where you can see everything, no one can sneak up behind you.”

Merritt nodded as she digested Tara’s words. Gunslinger seat. She smiled. She lifted her menu.

“You should smile more often.”

Merritt looked at Tara, who was reading her menu. Uh. . . .

Before Merritt could respond, the waitress appeared. “So, do you two know what you want?”

Tara glanced quickly at Merritt before she smiled broadly at the waitress. “I do.”

Merritt swallowed. Okay. . . .

TBC
EA

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:46 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Dibs! Hey, think I can get consecutive dibs for the whole story?

I love your 'show not tell'. You describe so little, let us see so little of Willow and Tara's thought process and yet it speaks oceans. Veritable Atlantics and Pacifics. Oodles and oodles of sea.

Quote:
“Really?”

Merritt froze mid-step. Shit. . . . She turned towards the voice.

Tara jumped up onto the sidewalk and walked closer. She stopped in front of the bench. “After the phone call? And the waiting? And the politeness?”
loved that little interaction. I feel like I'm being redundant, by saying how much I love your Tara. She's just...so snarky and funny and I can see that goofy little smile on her face and I want to melt in it. I hope it penetrates through Merritt's defenses. They're pretty tough, seeing how freakign on edge the poor girl is all the damn time. Even when it's not Tara, Merritt's awkwardness with the old ladies? Funny and really sad at the same time to see our Merritt(Willow) so scarred. God, I just want to hug her and tell her it's going to be okay.

Also, I feel like I won a prize for getting two updates from you within a month or so. You tantalize me with each update, almost getting somewhere, but not really getting anywhere...guh. So good.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:19 pm 
3. Flaming O

gawd, i love how awkward she is,this Merritt (is it safe to call her willow?)

Quote:
Merritt swallowed. Okay. . . .

couldnt stop laughing:D
its amazing how resocialization works on her, like any minute now someones gonna jump her.*sigh* though she knows that shes free.

and Tara's so straightforward. its funny how she interacts with the redhead.

and these are flashbacks from a year ago?!..im gonna guess more fun and angst to come..woohoo!

i have a bad habit of bumping up old stories...
shameless self-promotion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next