The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Never No More
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:00 pm 
3. Flaming O

Title: Never No More
Author: EmeraldArcher
Email address: sixtiesgirl8@yahoo.com, or leave a message here on the board
Distribution: Please ask.
Spoilers: No spoilers. This is AU(If my understanding of AU is correct).
Rating: PG-13 to NC–17. This includes sex, violence, sexual violence, language.
Pairing: The gang’s all here. . . pretty much, just different.
Disclaimer: I didn’t create these characters. I make no profit from them.
Summary: AU. It’d spoil the fun if I told you.
Note: I haven’t ever tried writing AU fiction. Not sure how it will go. Also, no beta used, so any and all mistakes are mine. Am aiming for weekly updates, more so if work permits.
Thanks: To Xita, for having the site, and keeping the site.

Chapter: Last, First

Blood.

Everywhere.

Sweet and sick, the smell of newly spilled blood was everywhere.

It mixed in the air, heavy and rank, with freshly-fired gunpowder.

And death.

Death.

Tara finally opened her eyes. The dim light of the room was as bright as a lightning bolt illuminating the midnight sky. She breathed deeply, trying to ease the constant, shrieking pain inside her skull.

All around her, the screams had stopped.

The gunfire had stopped.

The horror— the absolute, utter horror— had at last stopped.

It had all blessedly stopped.

Tara trembled uncontrollably. Her whole body rattled and shook down to her bones, clear down through to her soul. She licked her lips and tasted her own blood.

Blood.

Blood.

There had been so much blood— so, so much blood everywhere— when she ran into the room, that all she could see was the red of it. Everywhere red. The floor, the walls, the furniture, on clothes, on skin. She could see nothing else, focus on nothing else.

Tears fell from her eyes as she stared, fuzzy and unfocused, at the ceiling above her. Rivulets of smoke swirled over her, genie-in-the-lamp mists that spindled and danced in slow motion over her prone form.

Tara blinked slowly, her head feeling like a vice had clamped around it and was closing tightly. She could hear her own breathing, slow and deep, in the silence of the room.

And that was all.

There was no other sound.

There was nothing.

That was wrong.

There were others here. In the room with her. Her eyes fluttered, heavy and tired, but she forced them open once more.

Blood.

Blood.

And not just hers.

There were others in the room with her.

Tara lifted a hand from the ground and reached across her body to grab onto the chair leg beside her; she pulled with all of her strength, rolling onto her right side after endless seconds. The movement, though slight, sent new waves of agony to her head; tiny white sparks skipped before her eyes, and she had to make a concerted effort to ignore them. Ignore them, or pass out. It was then that she felt something wet on her face, something dripping across her forehead. Releasing the chair, she reached a shaky hand to her head, not surprised when she brought away dark red liquid. She dropped her bloodied hand to the ground and steadied herself as a wave of dizziness washed over her. She wasn’t entirely sure if her vertigo was due to the sight of her blood or to the fact that she probably had a severe concussion, maybe even a skull fracture; either scenario explained it, and neither was all that appealing. Tara pushed herself onto an elbow; her head didn’t seem to want to follow, feeling laden, swollen, hanging low to the ground. Tara took a breath as she steeled herself, then raised and turned her head.

Two bodies lay on the living room floor.

They were covered in blood.

Tara’s heart beat sped up as she pushed herself from her elbow and leaned weakly against the chair. Her gaze drifted over the face-down body nearest to her and fell on the reddish-copper hair of the second. “M-Merritt. . . ?”

TBC

EA

Post subject: Re: Never No More
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:24 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 1
Very interesting start. Can't wait til the next update to hopefully find out more about what's going on. Oh, and Merritt, wasn't that Buffy's first watcher or am I mistaken?

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:39 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky Wow what a start full of mystery.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:44 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

:read Wow, I'm already hooked from the mystery. Please continue!!
:flower Akyire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:48 am 
3. Flaming O

hey there
I really liked the way u started your fic ...full of mystery...id wait for what u will bring with it in the next update...wish u good luck
Amberholic...

But you never gave up this easily before...
So why do you choose today to give it all away.......
She's my angel love

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:08 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Ohhh I like it.I love a good au story.Cant wait for more.
Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:14 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Oooo this sounds like fun. :D

diamondforever's fanfiction archive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:51 am 
3. Flaming O

wimpy0729 wrote:
Very interesting start. Can't wait til the next update to hopefully find out more about what's going on. Oh, and Merritt, wasn't that Buffy's first watcher or am I mistaken?

Wimpy
Merrick.

Woo, this a war tale? Intriguing start, and I like that all the gang's involved. Will they just have cameos, or will they have their fair share of screentime too? Because that'd rock further.

Last edited by MiniShrink on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Never No More - Responses
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:57 am 
3. Flaming O

Hello, all,

wimpy0729 I know, not too much info in this first post, but if it makes you curious then I’ve succeeded somewhat. LOL, you’re close – I think his name was Merick, but don’t quote me on that(I see below I was correct). Thanks for reading and posting, it’s very much appreciated.

Dianneswillowtree, well, good, mystery is good. Hopefully you’ll keep reading, find out what’s going on here.

willowbaby05, hey there, Akyire, thanks for reading. Glad the ‘mystery’ has you hooked already & I hope you stick around for the story as it goes on.

amberholic, thank you for the wishes of good luck, glad you liked the way the story started & hopefully you won’t have to wait too long for the next update.

hondos, hello, Rose, glad you like the start. It’s my first AU, so I’m a bit nervous… hope you’ll like the rest as it posts!

diamondforever, lol, well, hopefully they’ll be some fun here for you!

MiniShrink, a war tale? Hmm, well, in a way there is something like that possibly, but not in the traditional sense. The Scoobies are here & there in the story, some more involved than others.

Thanks for reading everyone!
EA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:17 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Hello EmeraldArcher :)

This is very intriguing, you know how to stuck people to your fic from the first line don't you? ;-)

This seem the beginning of a good story, but also not so happy (Duh!).

I will wait for more quietly there in the basket in the corner ^^ :kitty

Thanks,

Julia

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

Post subject: Never No More responses
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:20 pm 
3. Flaming O

JujuDeRoussie,

Hi, Julia, lol, how’s the basket? Thank you for reading. Hope it stays intriguing for you as it goes on. You’ll let me kow? Thank you for your kind words of praise.

EA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:32 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

:sigh still waiting. Cant wait either. :D
:flower Akyire

Post subject: Never No More Responses
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:47 pm 
3. Flaming O

willowbaby05, well, Akyire, no worries, waiting’s over…

EA

Post subject: Never No More, Chapter: First
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:56 pm 
3. Flaming O

Note: I haven’t ever tried writing AU fiction. Not sure how it will go. Also, no beta used, so any and all mistakes are mine. Am aiming for weekly updates, more so if work permits.

Chapter: First

Eleven Months Ago…

California Institution for Women, Corona, California

Merritt Carver stood silently behind the wheeled, chain link gate, waiting patiently as her paperwork was thoroughly reviewed by yet another guard. In her arms, she held a brown paper bag containing all of her worldly belongings: three paperback books, a toothbrush and comb, two t-shirts, a pair of jeans, socks and underwear. It didn’t add up to much. Then again, nothing in her life did it seemed; not for a very long time.

But three years, two months, eight days?

That added up. That added all the way up.

Merritt lifted her face skyward, closing her eyes as she let the sun bathe her pale skin. Her red hair shone in the bright light, orange-y copper highlights standing out from the darker strands. She took a deep breath, exhaling in a soft sigh.

“Carver,” a male voice called. When she didn’t answer immediately, he raised his voice. “Carver!” Merritt opened her eyes and looked at the guard. He was holding several folded papers out to her. “You’re cleared.” Merritt took the papers from his outstretched hand, and balancing the bag against her hip, succeeded in opening it and dropping the documents inside. She rolled the bag shut and faced forward again. “On the gate!” the guard yelled, just before stepping forward and setting his back to the moveable fence, facing Merritt.

With a metallic ka-chunk, the gate began to move, rolling slowly over the blacktop. Merritt remained perfectly still, waiting until the gate opened completely and locked into place. She glanced at the guard, meeting his eyes squarely. He tipped his head. Merritt nodded and started walking, eyes straight ahead as she passed over the prison threshold into the world. Only then did she stop. She closed her eyes once more, savoring the feeling of her freedom.

“Carver.”

Merritt’s eyes snapped open. Shit. She turned around slowly, hesitantly. “Yeah.”

The guard reached a hand up and pulled a pack of cigarettes from the breast pocket of his uniform; he swung his arm and tossed it to her. Merritt caught the pack one-handed. “For the road,” he said, then raised his index finger to his forehead in a semi-salute before turning away from her.

One corner of Merritt’s mouth worked its way up. “Thanks.” She glanced at the cigarettes, her smile growing as she noticed a twenty dollar bill and a pack of matches stuffed inside with two cigarettes. She pulled a cigarette and the matches from the pack before dropping it inside. She struck a match and lit the cigarette before turning her back on the prison. Taking a long drag, she exhaled, long and slow.

After a few more puffs, she glanced around. The parking lot was crowded with people, some visitors, some employees. No one bothered to look her way, or even notice her at all. And that was fine with her. The less attention you brought to yourself, the better; that was one of the first things she learned on the inside. Throwing one last look over her shoulder, she shook her head slowly and started walking through the labyrinthine maze of cars. If her memory served, there was a public bus stop not too far away, maybe one or two miles up the road. She could hike it there, no problem. The exercise, after being confined for so long, would do her good.

Walking alongside the road leading away from prison grounds, Merritt tried hard not to think about the day she arrived. Not one of her better days, that was for sure. Sometimes it seemed like it was only yesterday, but sometimes, like now, when she was free, it seemed like a lifetime ago. A lifetime that she wanted to move past. And forget. She shook the memories from her mind and concentrated on the ground before her.

The sound of a car behind her caught her attention, and she moved farther from the road so it could pass. As it came up beside her, it slowed until it matched her pace. Merritt tried to ignore it and kept walking. She heard the passenger window go down, and when the driver finally spoke, Merritt’s stomach fell to her feet.

“Hey, Carver.”

Shit. Merritt kept walking, her back straight, eyes front.

The man laughed. “I know you can hear me, Carver.” Merritt slowed, then finally stopped. She kept her eyes faced forward, deliberately not looking at the driver. “You didn’t think I’d miss your big day, did you?”

“Hoped,” Merritt said, under her breath.

“Get in,” he said, not as if it was a choice.

Merritt did look then. She could see only his body behind the wheel. But that was enough. That was more than enough. She swallowed hard, and turned her head to watch as another car drove past them. Shit.

“Ditch the butt. . . and get in the Goddamn car.”

She took one last drag from her cigarette and dropped it in the dirt at her feet; after toeing it out, she took a hesitant step towards the front passenger door.

“Hurry the fuck up, it’s hotter than Hell out here.”

She pulled the door open and got in without a word, settling the bag on her lap. The man hit a button and closed her window, then put the car in gear and drove. Merritt’s eyes shifted to the driver; he looked exactly as she remembered: dark hair, dark eyes, just a tad— in that construction worker sort of way— overweight. If she hadn’t known he was a Special Agent with the FBI, she would never have believed it had someone told her so.

“Where you goin’?” he asked, though he didn’t look at her.

Merritt paused before she answered. Where was she going? Once she was out, she had just wanted to go, but where to? What was left for her after so long? She finally answered, “Home.”

He cast a look her way. “Home?” He smiled and looked back at the road ahead. “Really, Sunnydale?” He laughed again. “Huh, think they’ll throw a welcome home party?”

Merritt closed her eyes briefly and took a deep breath. No way would she let him get her to do anything stupid. She wouldn’t do a damn thing. . . no matter what. “Yeah,” she whispered.

“Yeah?” His mouth tightened. “Yeah, what?”

Merritt swallowed. “Nothing.”

“Nothing, what?”

Oh, right. . . . “Nothing, sir.”

He nodded his head at her answer, at her understanding. “That’s right.”

She waited in silence, staring out the front window. A small section of town was just ahead, all fast-food restaurants and strip mall storefronts. It looked pretty damn good from where she sat. Then, the car began to slow and move towards the curb. She sat perfectly still, feeling her heart rate picking up as each second passed.

When the car stopped, he threw it into park and shifted in his seat until he was facing her. “You think you’re something now? You think you’re hard?” He paused, but didn’t wait for a response. “You’re not the first one to do time, Carver. Not the first, and not the last.” He leaned towards her, just the tiniest bit. “Remember this: you’re nothing, Carver. You’re an ex-con. The second you stepped out, that’s what you became. And that’s it.” He tried to catch her eyes, but failed. “That’s it.” He shook his head, but his eyes stayed on her face. “And when you answer me, it’s always ‘sir’ or ‘Agent Harris,’ you understand?” Merritt nodded. “What?”

Merritt tried to keep her voice flat, neutral. “Yes, sir, Agent Harris.”

He nodded, and leaned back. “You got twenty-four hours to register with the Sunnydale Police Department. Not one minute more, got it?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good.” He smiled, satisfied, and then turned away from her and put the car in gear. “Now take your shit and get the fuck out.” Merritt looked at him for a second, then did as she was told. She took her bag, opened the door and got out. “I’ll be in touch,” he said, just before she shut the door.

The car pulled away from her and headed into town. “Yes, sir,” she said, watching as Agent Harris’ car disappeared around a corner. “Asshole.” She opened her bag and fished out the twenty from the cigarette pack. Her eyes traveled over the few signs she could see in the distance, landing on the Golden Arches. She headed straight for them, her step just a little heavier than before.

TBC

EA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:17 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

DIBS but I am too sleepy to read now :blush :sleepy I'll read it later :)

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:29 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Okay, I'm hooked.

What a nasty lowlife this Harris is.

Waiting with interest for more.

Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:23 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

This is turning out to be interesting, not my usual type but it has me intrigued. Turning out to be just what I need right now. Wonderful story. Thank you for posting it.

writerfreak :flower

Soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:35 am 
3. Flaming O

JujuDeRoussie, lol, ok, you go sleep and I’ll wait patiently for your feedback!

spells42, hi, Anne, yep, Harris is a piece of work, huh? Glad it’s keeping you interested, and I hope you stick around for more.

writerfreak, hey there, glad you think the story is interesting, and even though it’s not your usual choice of reading material, I’m happy it has intrigued you. It’s my pleasure posting it, so thanks for reading!

Thanks all for reading...
EA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:10 pm 
3. Flaming O

Nice, is that Xander or his father? Or some other fellow with the surname Harris? I really liked the 'that added up' line, it flowed pretty well. Anxiously awaiting more.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:07 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

:)

More and more intriguing EmeraldArcher!
you hooked me...

Agent Harris being such an asshole... is that Xander? Or someone related?

Keep writing :)

And don't make us wait too long ^^

Lol

Thanks,

Julia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:27 pm 
3. Flaming O

Loved the description in the first chapter and I liked the pattern of everything. It had this sort of urgent and mysterious staccato to it.

As for the second chapter. Very nice and now we have a glimpse at who this mystery character is.

I kind of like this feeling of not knowing where the hell you are taking us. It is exciting to read something that I can't predict yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:27 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Well, it's defintiely not the Sinn Fein Rebellion, as I'd thought from the title.*

Seriously, intriguing start.

*(When my ex-wife and Iw ere courting we went to an Irish-themed bar in norhteast Phialdelphia and Fridays they had a singer named Tommy Kane who did lots of Irish politically themed songs and one had a line in it that Is eem to recall soudned like "I'll paly the wild rover, no never no more" and well the title rang that bell with me.))

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:37 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Wow, another very interesting chapter showing some interesting background. So, am I safe to assume that Merritt is Willow and Harris is Xander? I seem to get confused in stories where their names are different, but then again, I am easily confused. Please update soon, so my poor confused little brain can begin to sort some of this out.

Wimpy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:27 pm 
3. Flaming O

MiniShrink, Is Agent Harris Xander? Or his father? Interesting question. All the gang is supposed to be here, just not quite what we know of them, so the odds are good it’s Xander. Thank you for the ‘that added up’ line, I thought it worked pretty well, too. Thanks for reading, hope you stay with it.

JujuDeRoussie, Hi, Julia, glad you came back and left some more feedback on the post. Agent Harris. . . yeah, not all that nice to Merritt, is he? Is he Xander? Well, it could be. . . I did say they would all be here, just different. Lol, stay tuned, and see what unfolds. Thanks for reading and taking the time to post.

BlackIndiaInk, Hello, there. I’m glad that the mystery of the characters is attention-grabbing for you, as well as the shortened pattern of writing. Both are new to me – I’m usually very verbose and overly giving in the exposition department, lol. It’s nice to know that although you don’t quite know what’s going on or where it’s going, you are intrigued. That makes me feel like I’ve actually achieved part of my goal! Hope you stay tuned for the rest! Thanks for reading!

DaddyCatALSO, LOL, since I’ve never heard of the Sinn Fein Rebellion (though I have Googled it now) nope, that’s not where the title is from. Actually, I heard it somewhere many years ago, or read it, not sure, and I always liked it. So, I ‘borrowed’ it…. Glad the story has intrigued you and I hope you stick around to see how things play out, thanks for your feedback.

wimpy0729, sorry about all the confusion, lol. Lots of people, it seems, are feeling the same, so don’t be too hard on yourself. As for character identity… if I told you, where’s the fun in that? Lol, stay tuned and your brain will have some relief shortly! Thanks for reading!

Thanks, all, for reading!
EA

PS, apologies for the double post.

Post subject: Never No More, Chapter: Second
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:29 pm 
3. Flaming O

Chapter: Second

Sunnydale, viewed through the dirty window of the bus, hadn’t changed all that much since she’d been gone. Merritt was a little surprised by this, because even though her life had been on a three-year timeout, she’d just figured the world would’ve moved on without her. Watching all the familiar scenery race by, she just smiled and shook her head. Guess not.

The aged Greyhound rounded the last corner and slowed its way into the Sunnydale bus station. Merritt waited a few minutes for the other passengers to gather their belongings and exit before she did. Stepping down into the parking lot, she paused and took a breath, surprised to find her heart racing a bit faster than normal.

“Ma’am?” a male voice said beside her.

Merritt started, then looked to her right. The bus driver was smiling at her. “Yeah? Uh, yes, sir?”

He laughed lightly. “Sorry to startle you. Did you forget something?” He glanced at the now-empty luggage storage under the bus’s belly, then back at her.

Self-consciously, she gripped her brown bag tighter in her hand. “No.” And then, as she remembered. “Sir.”

“Okay then,” he said, making a move to shut the bus door behind her. Merritt stepped a few feet away. “Welcome to Sunnydale, ma’am.” He smiled one last time and walked away.

Merritt watched him for a few seconds more, then looked out past the parking lot onto Main Street. “Yeah. . . thanks.”

The short walk to the Sunnydale Police Department was uneventful. Merritt had passed people on the street, and had successfully avoided any and all eye contact. Now, standing in front of the station’s two glass doors, she was struck frozen. Ex-con. Agent Harris’ words echoed back to her, and she realized how true they actually were. She was an ex-con, and nothing but trash. Nothing. Period. She could see movement inside the building, officers and civilians milling around, going about their business. Knowing she had to go in there, that she had to make it completely official who she was, she just couldn’t seem to move. Child molesters and rapists, and all sorts of other perverts had to do this sort of thing. She wasn’t like that; she wasn’t anything like that at all. She may be an ex-con, yes, and she may be nothing, but she certainly wasn’t any of those things.

“Ma’am.” The woman’s voice pulled Merritt from her thoughts. She turned and found herself staring into the face of a Sunnydale police officer. She swallowed hard. “Are you all right?”

Merritt nodded. “Yes, Officer.”

“Sheriff,” the uniformed officer said, smiling. “Sheriff Buffy Summers.” She held her right hand out. “Ms.?”

Merritt glanced at the offered hand for a second, and then took hold, shaking it. “Carver.”

Sheriff Summers nodded and released Merritt’s hand. She hooked both thumbs on her belt and glanced at the entrance quickly. “Do you need help?” she asked, when she returned her eyes to Merritt. Merritt stared at her silently. Sheriff Summers inclined her head. “With your registration?” Merritt’s surprise must have shown on her face, because the sheriff smiled and pointed a finger at the dirty brown bag. “That’s not the first brownie that’s been through here.”

Merritt’s eyes dropped to the worn paper bag, then back to the sheriff. She nodded. “Yeah.”

Sheriff Summers smiled, and started into the building. “Okay.”

Once inside, Merritt assumed that Sheriff Summers would just fob her off onto some desk jockey to process her papers, but instead, she had led Merritt towards the back of the station, into a small, but relatively nice, office.

Sheriff Summers sat behind a big desk, and then indicated the chair across from her. “Have a seat.” Merritt sat. The sheriff rifled through some papers on the return behind her desk; she faced Merritt again, a manila file folder in hand. “Agent Harris of the FBI came by here a bit ago, dropped this off.” She watched Merritt’s face for any response.

Merritt looked at the folder. Asshole.

The sheriff set the folder on the desk, opened it, and began to read aloud. “Merritt Carver. Twenty-four years old— twenty-five in a couple months— only child. Parents deceased. Two arrests as a minor— disturbing the peace, vandalism of school property. No convictions. Early acceptance to UC Sunnydale— major in computer sciences and technology.” Sheriff Summers stopped, leaned back in the creaky chair; resting her elbows on the arms and lacing her fingers together across her stomach, she finished. “Felony arrest and conviction on four counts of information trafficking.” Sheriff Summers tilted her head in a silent question.

Merritt cleared her throat softly and shifted in her chair. “Identity theft,” she clarified. She licked her lips nervously. “Credit cards, bank cards. . . .”

Sheriff Summers nodded. She sat up again, took a pen in hand. “Where are you staying?”

Merritt shook her head. “I-I don’t. . . I came straight here.”

“No family? No friends?”

“No, Ma’am.”

Sheriff Summers made a note in the file. “There’s a hotel down a couple blocks, the Sun? Rooms aren’t great, but they’re cheap.” Merritt nodded. Another note. “And work?”

“I, uh. . . .”

And yet another note. Then Sheriff Summers took a post-it sticking to the monitor of her computer and held it across the desk. Merritt leaned forward and took the paper. “It’s hard work.”

Merritt looked at the paper in her hand. ‘Maclay. 1508 Albret. 7:00 am.’

“They’re expecting you tomorrow.” And with that, Sheriff Summers stood. Merritt followed suit. Her voice became very official when she spoke next. “Don’t leave town unless you notify this office, and per your parole release condition, ‘under no circumstances are you to be near, around or involved in anything— anything— requiring a computer or any derivation thereof’. Understood?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“See you next week.”

“Thank you.” Merritt turned and left the small office, moving through the busy station unnoticed. The whole process was so far removed from what she expected, she found herself at a loss. She was so sure that she was going to be treated with utter disdain— like Agent Harris had treated her— that the genuine kindness shown to her by Sheriff Summers had thrown her for a loop. Outside the station, she paused and read the paper in her hand once more. ‘Maclay.’ She smiled and started down the street in the direction of the Sun Hotel. Okay.

TBC

EA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:18 pm 
3. Flaming O

oh wow. Now we're getting to the juicy stuff.
I can't wait until the next update

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:30 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Okay, indeed. You make it all very real in a way that makes it seem easy, and with an admirable economy of words. This is good to read.

Some of the background's been filled in, another character makes an entrance, and there's the promise of more revelations at Maclay's. I can't wait to find out more about how Merritt fits into a story with the characters from Buffy.

Is Merritt a Buffy character? A red headed, computer nerdy type character? Ok, I know you won't tell us...

Looking forward to the next update.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:01 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Well, that made me feel better. At least she met the nice Sheriff who seems to be helping her get back on her feet again and on the track to meet a certain lovely blonde. Can't wait for that. But we still know something evil looms in the future, so I'll be waiting eagerly to see what's going to happen next.

Wimpy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:23 pm 
3. Flaming O

KloeFrost, thanks for reading – I hope the next part is even ‘jucier’ for you!

spells42, hi there, Anne, an ‘economy of words.’ I like that, thanks. Lol, no, I probably won’t tell you anything about anyone or anything, but, soon enough you’ll see where characters fit in. Hope you keep reading! Thanks!

wimpy0729, hey there, you’re becoming a great regular feedback-type person… cool! I’m glad the last update made you feel better; your confused brain is all okay now?? Lol! A nice sheriff, some background info on Merritt, impending Maclay…even some possible badness… let’s see what happens next! Thanks for reading.

EA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:29 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Wanna more more more :)