The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In the Wake of the Wild Rose - Uber (Updated 20th Sep)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:13 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Title: In the Wake of the Wild Rose

Author: Paul aka Darth Pacula

Distribution: Knock yourself out, just ask first. ( That means yes if you're not sure )

Feedback: Go nuts. The more the merrier. Unless you're all wanting to roast me at the stake that is. Then, less is more.

Disclaimers: I own diddly squat, except the original characters, and the setting, which are products of my own deranged imagination.

Summary: Two separate lives, filled with tragedy and pain are brought together by an act of fate. But the Game of Thrones follows these two women closely, and threatens to drag everyone to a watery grave.

Rating: A hard R. This will contain frequent violence, but it will also contain some disturbing adult themes, including slavery and rape. Needless to say, apologies if this gets too heavy for anyone.

Thoughts are in italics.

Chapter the First – Tragedy.

Rain fell like the tears of a bereaved god from a sky that was dark and unwelcoming, laden from one horizon to the next with thick, ominous sheets of storm clouds. While the rain was fat and heavy, cold enough to chill a grown man to the bone, the torrential winds made it worse still. Swirling gusts of air, blown in off the icy seas to the north hurled the rain to and fro in a madcap, chaotic dance, so that it never fell in the same direction for more than a minute at a time.

The storm had swept in, seemingly from nowhere, venting its rage upon the hapless citizens of Northport, bustling mercantile metropolis and northern gateway to Sumner, largest of the Starfall Isles. The full force of Nature's fury had driven even the most stubborn citizens in search of shelter; neither pickpockets nor whores could ply their trade when there were no customers upon the cobbled streets. Even the scarlet cloaked City Guard were scarce this inclement night.

All this meant to Willow was that there wasn't anyone to get in her way.

Scarcely seven years of age, hardship and privation had left its mark on the scrawny urchin's slender frame. Flat chested and skinny, face drawn and filthy from life on the streets, Willow was still possessed of the desperate speed and strength of a street-rat, one whose next meal often depended on their ability to outrun an angry shopkeep.

Willow ran full pelt up the street, uncaring of the icy rain that pelted down upon her, freezing her flesh and soaking her ragged clothing. Neither did she pay attention to the myriad of cuts and bruises upon her body from an uncountable number of slips and falls she'd suffered upon the rain-slicked cobblestones.

For Willow was desperate, and she had a mission. Back in the Dregs, the vast slum that ringed Northport's great harbor like scum around an uncleaned drain, in the filthy hovel that she called home, Willow's mother lay dying.

Sheila was a whore, and an unsuccessful one at that. She'd been beautiful once, voluptuous and seductive, and had worked in one of the grand brothels, entertaining the great and powerful of Northport. The temper tantrum of a spoiled lordling had ended all that with one stroke of a riding crop that had scarred Sheila's formerly perfect cheek.

Unwilling to sell damaged goods, the brothel's madam had turned Sheila out into the streets, and her fortunes had floundered ever since. Sheila had sunk down the rungs of respectability that even the world's oldest profession possessed, passing from brothel to bawdy house until she was nothing more than the meanest streetwalker, hoisting her skirts in filthy alleyways for a handful of copper pennies.

Willow had been whelped upon her during this fall, fathered by a customer, some unknown sailor or soldier, but even still, Willow had always been the light of Sheila's miserable life. It had been for Willow's sake that they had finally struck rock bottom, thrown out of Northport's cheapest knocking house because Sheila had refused to pimp her then five year old daughter to a lecherous merchant.

Her beauty lost to the ravages of age and hardship, Sheila had recently fallen ill, wasting away to a pale mockery of her former self, and even the money Willow had been able to beg, borrow or steal had been insufficient to pay even the cheapest of the drunken sots the Dregs called physicians. So Willow's last hope lay with the priests of Anoila, Goddess of Healing.

These priests were famed for their ways with herbs, tonics and simples, and even more famed for the healing powers that their prayers granted to their most faithful members. In theory, their services were supposed to be free and available to all, but as always in life, the reality was much different.

The wealthy of Northport, with their generous 'donations' to the temple, monopolized the services of Anoila's followers almost without exception. There had once been a priestess of Anoila who had kept a shrine at the heart of the Dregs, ministering to the poor, but she had been raped and murdered by a drunken sailor years before, and no member of the priesthood had set foot in the Dregs ever since.

But if they would not come to her, then Willow would go to them.

In this respect, the inclement nature of the storm lashing Northport was Willow's friend, for the Temple of Anoila lay upon the summit of the Godsmound. Thus named for the fact that most of the city's temples were situated upon it, the Godsmound was again, in principle, free to all, but the City Guard tended to discourage the presence of riff-raff ... with swift and merciless spear butts.

Since Willow, along with the entire population of the Dregs, was counted among this riff-raff, anything that kept the Redcapes off the street made her mission of mercy an easier one. She was shouted at by a pair of Guardsmen as she sprinted through the arch of Daybreak Gate, but they declined to abandon the safety of their guard post to give chase, and Willow ran on, breath heaving in her narrow chest.

Legs burning, Willow's sprint had become more of a stagger as she neared the summit of the Godsmound, and the rain was coming down even heavier, turning the other temples and buildings to either side into looming, half-seen shapes. An imperfection in the cobblestones pitched Willow to the ground hard, opening a gash on her forehead as she crashed headlong into a seemingly randomly placed statue of some nameless dignitary, likely long dead.

Lurching to her feet, Willow forced herself onwards, ignoring the sheet of warm blood that trickled down her face, for she knew her destination couldn't be far away now. She only managed a handful of steps before she fell again, as a puddle turned out to hide a much deeper hole than Willow imagined.

Her ankle was wrenched as she fell, and Willow gasped as her shoulder slammed painfully into the stone verge of an ornate fountain, overflowing with the bounty falling from the heavens. For a moment, Willow lay sprawled on her back, panting and stunned as falling water blinded her. Then desperation forced her to scrabble upright again and hobble onwards.

Finally, shivering with the cold, Willow reached her destination. A vast, but graceful edifice of gleaming white marble, replete with carven pillars and a domed roof, brilliant even through the gloom, loomed up before her. Sobbing with relief, Willow staggered up the wide sweep of steps that led to the massive, gilded doors that led inside.

With the last of her strength, Willow hammered on the nearest door with her small, grimy fist. For what seemed like hours, she flailed desperately at the door as her strength began to fail and she slowly slid towards the marble floor.

The door swung inwards abruptly as Willow was sagging to her knees, neatly depositing her in a sodden sprawl upon an intricately mosaicked floor. Within moments, the excess water dripping from her prone body had insolently left a number of puddles marring that formerly pristine surface.

A plump foot jammed into a brocade slipper tapped on the floor in front of Willow's nose, drawing her attention and directing it up past a ponderous paunch to a broad, moon-like face peering down at her in surprise. A small, pick tongue flicked out, running over scarlet hued lips that sat on that pudgy face like a pair of somnolent slugs.

“Goodneth thild!” lisped the priest effeminately, fluttering a beefy hand in front of his hand as if it were a lady's fan. “Whatever are you doing out here in thith weather?”

Clawing her way upright, Willow lunged forward, clutching at the fat priest's cloth-of-gold cassock. “You 'ave ta help me, ya lordship!” she blurted, her uncouth speech revealing her low origins. “It's me Ma! She's dyin'!”

That same pink tongue slithered over the priest's lips as his gaze fixed on the young girl's face, a strange, almost hungry look coming into his small, piggish eyes. “Yeth, you are a pwitty young thing, aren't you ...” he murmured softly, as if he hadn't even heard Willow's plea.

Even at her age, Willow had seen that look before, though she could scarcely countenance it appearing in the eyes of a priest. But for her mother's sake, she was prepared to suffer a few lecherous looks.

“Please ya lordship, ya gotta help me!” she begged, forcing an uncharacteristic note of servility into her voice. On the streets and alleyways of the Dregs, any such display of weakness was more likely to get you killed than see you receive help.

Licking his lips again, the priest nodded absently. With fingers like plump little sausages, he reached out and brushed a sodden clump of Willow's dirty red hair away from her eyes. Though she inwardly shuddered, Willow let him cup her chin in a hand so soft that it had obviously never done an honest days work.

“I'm thertain we than thome to an agreement, my thild,” the priest murmured, that obscene pick tongue flicking out yet again. “Thome with me to my quarterth, my thild, and we than dithuth your ... manner of renumeration.”

Willow tried to pull backwards, shake her head, but the priest's grip upon her jaw tightened painfully. “No,” she countered, desperate enough to bargain even that if it would see her mother aided. “After. After you help me Ma, I'll do whatever ya want.” She shifted her weight awkwardly in an uncomfortable child's attempt to mimic the soliciting stance of a streetwalker.

The priest's cherubic face lit up with a beatific smile, but after a moment it turned cruel and arrogant. His other hand came out of nowhere to deal Willow a heavy blow to her cheek. The sound of the blow, and Willow's exclamation of shock and pain mingled together, echoing from the high, vaulted ceiling.

“You thilly, thupid bitch,” declared the priest with a disturbingly childish giggle. “You'll do what I want now, whether I help your thlut of a mother or not! If you please me, I might thonthider helping you.”

The hand that had struck her fell upon Willow's shoulder, trying to force her downwards. “Now, my pwitty little fwlower, get on your knees and thuck ...”

Willow punched him in the groin with all her might.

The priest squealed like a stuck pig, high and shrill, but rather than release her, his hands tightened on Willow's slender frame. So she punched him again, in exactly the same spot. Squealing again, the priest let her go now, flopping to the floor with a meaty slap, the flab of his swollen stomach rippling repellently.

“You little thlut ...” he began to shrilly wheeze, but Willow interlaced her fists together and clubbed him in the cheek. The impact was enough to knock the priest to the floor with a pathetic wail. A crimson haze of rage clouded Willow's vision, and she found herself kicking her attempted molester, over and over. She drove her feet into his fat, yielding belly, stomped on his pallid, quivering limbs, smashed her heels into that blubbering, hateful face.

She was crying as she raged, sobbing, words intermixed with nonsensical exclamations of hatred and fury, pain and grief. “You're supposed ta help me!” Willow screamed with a final kick, before spinning on her heels and fleeing back out into the storm, leaving the pedophile sprawled on the foyer's marble floor, bloodied and unconscious.

Willow was to never know, but a few moments after she left, another figure crept, trembling, into the room. Of an age with Willow, the tow-haired girl was a temple initiate, and one of the fat priest's earlier victims. An orphaned niece of a temple patron too busy and uncaring to look after her himself, this unnamed girl had been given to the temple to raise, in supposed safety as a worshiper of Anoila. Five nights had she been in their care, and each night had she suffered the fat priest's attentions. Now, she stood over her tormentor, staring down with terrible fascination at his battered visage.

And with shaking, terrified hands, she drew her belt-knife and slit his throat from ear to ear.

Somehow, Willow was twice as wet when she finally staggered into the basement hovel that she called home. At the bottom of a flight of crooked, moss-slippery steps, the room she shared with Sheila was so low roofed that Willow was the only one who could walk inside without being hunched over.

The floor was naked soil, hard packed and unyielding, the wall and roof unfaced stone blocks that trickled with moisture every time it rained. In the current deluge, there was very nearly a narrow stream dividing the room.

Weary and despondent, Willow brushed aside the length of stinking, unwashed hide that served double duty as curtain and door, and entered her home. A single precious candle lit the room with a paltry, flickering light that guttered disturbingly until Willow let the curtain fall closed with a wet slap. An opportunistic rat skittered in alarm at her arrival, and scurried for a far corner, easily avoiding the unenthusiastic kick Willow aimed at it.

Rodent infestation was nothing new to Willow, so she otherwise ignored the interloper and hurried across the room to the bundle of rags her mother called a mattress. Halfway there, she froze.

A native of the Dregs her entire life, Willow was no stranger to death, not in a place where a man might have his gullet slit open for a single copper penny. Finding an alleyway anywhere at all in the district that hadn't played host to a corpse at some point would be a hard task indeed.

So as soon as she saw her mother lying there, oh-so cold and still, Willow knew without a doubt that she was too late. Her mother was dead.

How long she stood there, unmoving, staring blindly, lost in denial, Willow couldn't even begin to guess. But when she finally did move, when she finally did admit that she was utterly alone in this cold, cruel world, it hit her like a thunderbolt.

Suddenly, the room was too small, closing in on her, crushing, smothering her. Grinding her to a fine paste, like the shells they crushed on the docks to make the powder for the noble ladies to paint their faces with.

Willow found herself panting like a dog, desperate, one step removed from hyperventilating. All at once, it was too much, and Willow was running blindly, without plan or destination, tears streaming from her eyes as she sobbed.

All she could think as she ran was, never again. I will never love again!

To be continued ...

Last edited by Darth Pacula on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: Re: In the Wake of the Wild Rose (New AU)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:10 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
DIBS!!

Paul, am I correct in seeing two brand spanking new fics up in one go? My cup runneth over!

Wow, what an awesome and yet incredibly bleak start to this fic. I have to start by saying fantasy is my favourite genre of all time and so I'm starting from a high point anyway but combined with your fantastically descriptive narrative this story promises to be a great read.

What an interesting character Willow is, she's known nothing but hardship and brutality and now that Sheila is dead she has no one in the world. But she's already shown that she's got the spunk and determination to look after herself...which she will definitely need in the upcoming chapters.

And the other mysterious character promises to be even more intriguing, brutalised to the point where she would kill her tormentor, I think that fate will be bringing these two girls together and I can't wait to hear that story.

Cheers Paul,
Alcy

Last edited by Alcy on Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:26 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Wow, and just.........wow. Intriguing, to say the least. My apologies for the simplicity of my reply, but words seem to fail me with that. Other than to say, its really really great, of course. Wow.

writerfreak :flower

Soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:25 am 
9. Gay Now

Um, I second that wow and raise you a damn dude! That was awesome Paul. Your writing is so descriptive. I can actually see everything happening. And jeez. Talk about depressing. You made me yell out loud when that bastard of a priest tried to do what he did. It takes some skill to make me react that strongly, so good on ya ;-)

I am definitely eagerly awaiting the next chapter of this fic. Once again, frickin' amazing.

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:49 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

PAUL!!!!! #SPAZ#!!!! I'm so happy to be a part of this one from it's beginning!!! I'm soOoooo excited that you've started something new! It's awesome!! You're awesome!! and one of the very best around... so no roasting... :lol

ETA: Okay, having actually read the update now :lol i'm back for the actual feedback. Oh man, Paul... this is sooo goood. I mean it's soooo good. Your descriptions, your story, your everything is just amazing.

I love the way you write, because you put me there. you know? I felt like I was running along the slippery streets with child Willow. I could feel her desperation and her accepting of her lot in life, as that; her lot in life. Being poor and having nothing is all she's ever known, and I get a feeling that she doesn't really expect anyone to help her, that maybe she's too hardened by life's circumstances to rally enough optimism for even a sliver of hope.

That priest really got to me, Paul... I hate people like that. I hate people that would take advantage of a child. It happened to me when I was a child--only it wasn't a priest, it was my "father" and I wasn't as brave as Willow.... I was glad when Willow kicked the SH*T out of him... he deserved it.

This story is sooo fascinating. I want more, Paul. Great job, sweetie!!

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:24 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky Paul this is so heart felt I feel so bad for both our girls. I am on the other hand doing a happy dance for all of us kittens :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :kgeek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:17 pm 
3. Flaming O

I am just messing around on a procrastination spree and i am so glad that I cam across your story. Its great. I cant wait to read more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:06 pm 
9. Gay Now

Paul-y Pants!!!

A new story?! :x

YAY!

Oh yeah... and also I love it!! Poor Street urchin Willow (great mental image, btw) swearing to never love again cause of her poor dead mother... but Tara. Tara is her one true love and urchin Willow will not be able to resist her feminine wiles. Right?

Plus, it was totally cool how Willow kicked freaky pedophile fat preitht guy's ass. ... and was that Tara that slit the gross man's throat? eep!
*shiver* he was gross.

So. A land where health care access is segregated by money? Who could fathom living with such injustice? Who me? Sarcastic?

I am so glad you are writing another story Paul!

db

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:30 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
That was a fantastic opening chapter. I like how you've presented a fantasy setting in such a way that it's immediately accessible - after the brief mentions of whatnot ocean bordering on the whatchamacallit islands, it's right down to the image of the rain pounding the city, which doesn't need any explanation or exposition at all - it's an image and a feeling anyone who's ever been rained on knows. And then Willow, with her simple, human 'quest', again something that anyone with a loved parent could understand. Aside from being written very evocatively and powerfully, the whole opening serves as a kind of lens through which this new and unfamiliar world becomes something that needs no explanation.

And through this very basic, easy-to-relate-to lens, we learn about the world - the lofty ideals it pretends to, and how those ideals are completely ignored by those in power, because doing so doesn't personally inconvenience them. The casual violence that exists in the slums, and the implication that the city's guards - who seem ready enough to be a peril to people like Willow, but for the rain keeping them indoors - evidently don't have the inclination to do anything to prevent people being brutalised and killed. And, worst of all, how the people who should be the most compassionate in this world don't just turn a blind eye, but are monsters who force their depravity on anyone they please.

Good on Willow for providing a well-deserved pair of punches to the family jewels, incidentally. And Tara (if it is she?) for delivering the coup de grace - an ugly act, but the only one this selfish society left her. I'm wondering if this unknowing collaboration will be what brings the two of them together - I imagine, in a place like this, the horrific acts a man like that had committed wouldn't count for much in a court of 'law' against two unfortunate children who had no choice but to fight back.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:59 am 
4. Extra Flamey

I like how this has begun. Hooray to the death of the priest. I'm assuming the other girl is Tara -- interested to see where you're going to take this. :)

diamondforever's fanfiction archive

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:31 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Paul..... WOW! I mean.... wow!

I'm without words to describe my reaction to this. It's so powerful - I was absorbed from the first para (great description btw, loved it) right to the end. I feel like I was holding my breath the whole time I was reading.

Your imagery is outstanding, and your narrative clearly showed the desperation and urgency of Willow's dash for help, the ugly nature of the priest, and the pathos of the initiate (Tara?) taking her revenge.

You've set the bench really high with this one Paul. Looking forward to the rest.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:58 pm 
3. Flaming O

I'm in awe before your descriptive skills, Paul!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:00 am 
2. Floating Rose

OH my God! Darth!

Oh I've missed you. Do you know how much of a bad habit you became for me? I get all obssessive and check the board constantly. Yay! You're back!

With FANTASY! My life is so good right now.

A day without sunlight is, like, y'know, night. - My Friend Courtney

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:51 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Yay! New story. And a awsome strat it have this one.
Great work. I liked pretty much all the description and stuff. Keep it up, please

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:21 am 
10. Troll Hammer

G'day Kittens!

To open, let me ask you a question: should this be called an Uber, rather than AU? I need to brush up on my fanfic terminology. :grin

-----

Alcy - G'day Alcy, my fellow denizen of the southern hemisphere!

Yep, I'm trying my hand at a double header; now let's see if I stuff it up at all. :p

Bleak is very much the tone for the start of this story, and quite possibly a lot of the rest of it too. We're not in Kansas anymore, Kittens! And fantasy is one of my favorite genres too, so it was a given that I had to try my hand at one involving our favorite ladies.

Spunk and determination are two things Willow doesn't lack, but by the time we next meet her, her situation will be vastly different to what we just saw.

As for the other girl, she seems to have made an impression. Now, she was just going to be an anonymous extra, a minimal plot device to provide a sense of closure in regards to that fat rock-spider she killed, but I'm having another thought here. Hmm .... that idea has definite potential.

-----

writerfreak - G'day Writerfreak! Hey, don't sell yourself short. Nice meaty chunks of feedback are nice, but there's nothing wrong with wow! :grin

-----

tazraven - G'day Sara! Thank you. I hope it wasn't too depressing, but I always love to hear that I've elicited an emotional reaction.

Cheers!

-----

Emms - Emms! Spaz right back atcha, mate! I'm just as happy to have you here from the start as you are to be here.

Thanks for your kind words. They mean a lot, especially coming from such a gifted writer as yourself. I think you're spot on with Willow there; she tried to get help for her mother, but did she ever expect to succeed?

I'm sorry about whatever happened to you as a kid Emms, and I hope I didn't stir up any bad memories. But I hate those kids of people too. I'm fortunate enough to have had a pretty good life so far, but people like that priest just evoke an evisceral reaction on my part. And quite frankly, if such behaviour doesn't make you angry, there must be something broken inside you. But that being said, such people as that will always find a sticky end in anything I write.

-----

Dianneswillowtree - G'day Dianne! Happy dances are good, and don't worry; Willow and Tara will find their own happiness before the story's end.

-----

Cup - G'day Cup! Hey, I'm all about the procrastination! :grin Cheers!

-----

db - G'day db! Yep, new story, just one of many swirling around my twisted little mind ...

Willow, resist Tara's feminine wiles? Not bloody likely mate! :grin But, since I am evil, I can't make it easy for them, can I. Rhetorical question, by the way. :devil

Yes, fat-boy was gross, but no, that wasn't Tara that slit his throat. She actually gets introduced in this next chapter.

Quote:
So. A land where health care access is segregated by money? Who could fathom living with such injustice? Who me? Sarcastic?

What? Sarcasm? Where? :p

And I'm glad you're reading it, db!

-----

Artemis - Oooh! Feedback from the King of Uber! :grin G'day Chris!

The problem with many a fantasy setting is that they can sometimes dump you right in the thick of things, and without any frame of reference, the reader can be left with little clue as to what the heck is going on. So yeah, I'm glad you didn't think I did that.

Quote:
And through this very basic, easy-to-relate-to lens, we learn about the world - the lofty ideals it pretends to, and how those ideals are completely ignored by those in power, because doing so doesn't personally inconvenience them. The casual violence that exists in the slums, and the implication that the city's guards - who seem ready enough to be a peril to people like Willow, but for the rain keeping them indoors - evidently don't have the inclination to do anything to prevent people being brutalised and killed. And, worst of all, how the people who should be the most compassionate in this world don't just turn a blind eye, but are monsters who force their depravity on anyone they please.

Whew, that's some astute observations there, Chris! Personally, I prefer my fantasy environments to be either gritty, or comic. This obviously isn't comic, so the grittier the better. High fantasy has it's place, certainly, but a lot of it seems to be based on history, and a lot of history was sordid, distasteful and violent. So, I like to reflect that in my stories.

Yes, bravo to Willow for her bout with the testicular speedbag, but no, that wasn't Tara who administered the coup de grace. They won't actually meet until the third chapter, and that'll be a ways in the future from here.

So no law problems. Not that there would be likely to be, unless they have a magical equivilent of a CSI unit. :p

-----

diamondforever - G'day Diamondforever! Thanks. I doubt anyone's going to miss the priest, certainly not any readers! But no, the other girl wasn't Tara. Enjoy!

-----

spells42 - G'day Anne! Cool, another wow! :grin

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and that it ellicited such a powerful reaction. Hopefully you weren't holding your breath the whole time; oxygen is important! :p

I probably don't need to say it again, but no, not Tara. :p

Quote:
You've set the bench really high with this one Paul.

Oh great, that just means further to fall! :p

Cheers!

-----

Devi Crystalseeker - Thanks Devi!

-----

quirked_out - G'day Quirked! I'm a bad habit? Oh yeah! :party :p But yeah, I'm back. And with fantasy!

Cheers!

-----

viximon - G'day Vix! How's life in Spain? Glad you're enjoying!

-----

And now, on to the update! Enjoy, Kittens!

Cheers,
Paul.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:25 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Chapter the Second – For a handful of silver.

Far, far away, in a land that knew not the taste of salt in the air, nor the kiss of ocean waves upon its shores, another young girl, blonde of hair and blue of eye, was on her way to town. This other girl's name was Tara, and she was deliriously happy, so much so that she was wriggling in her seat to keep from leaping in the air.

For she was spending the day with her Pappa, you see, and Tara did so love to spend time with her Pappa. She loved bringing a rare smile to his usually dour face, and she adored to make him laugh. She lived for those times when her Pappa would abandon his stern demeanor, lift her high in his strong arms and spin the both of them about, until they would collapse, dizzy and breathless with laughter.

Today did not seem like it was going to be one of those days, for Tara's Pappa was sunken deeply inside his own thoughts this morning as he sat slumped on the seat of their rickety cart. His weathered face was frozen into a mask of abject misery, and nothing Tara tried seemed capable of lifting his spirits.

Tara didn't notice this too much, for even though she was a caring and empathic child, her excitement this day was too great to be contained. She was on her way to Town! The town that fostered such excitement in the young girl was nothing special in the greater scheme of things, and likely did not even warrant a place on the maps of their land. But to Tara's immature mind, Town was the greatest place in the world, well deserving of the capital letter her mind always assigned to it.

Tara and her family lived and worked on a farm far out from Town, and as such, rarely visited. In point of fact, Tara only got to go a couple of times each year, and these trips were always the highlight of her year. Such was the sense of delight that Tara enjoyed that she also hadn't noticed her Momma's tear-stained face when she had said goodbye this morning, nor the desperate nature of her Momma's hug. Tara's Pappa had almost needed to pry his daughter loose from his sobbing wife's arms.

So that was the way father and daughter traveled to town, swaying in the cart as it followed the rutted track to town, one sunken in morose silence, the other smiling brightly and singing a happy tune.

Dressed in her best dress of cornflower blue, with a much-cherished ribbon in her hair, Tara felt like a princess from one of the stories she loved to read so much, on her way to a ball or a feast where she would find her prince. Tara wasn't so sure about the prince part; the only boy she knew of a likewise age to herself was her brother, who was typically dirty, smelly and loud. No, Tara much preferred the idea of finding another princess, with whom she could play, and laugh, giggle and whisper secrets.

Tara knew she wasn't a princess. She knew that she and her family were 'poor', even if the concept of wealth didn't mean much to a young farm girl. But Tara didn't mind; she didn't need fancy dresses, or expensive toys. She already had everything she wanted.

On a sudden impulse, she leaned over and hugged her father, ignoring in her happiness the way he stiffened briefly before sagging despondently. Nor did she notice the tear that trickled down his cheek.

Tara's Town was, properly speaking, a village that lay in the center of a patchwork quilt of farms, and served as a central meeting and distribution point for the inhabitants of the local surroundings. Besides a scattering of houses, it also boasted a single inn, a small blacksmith's workshop, and a small mill beside the creek that meandered alongside the village. A simple log palisade surrounded the town, to discourage any of the rare raider bands that sometimes visited these lands.

The track led straight down from the line of low, rolling hills that ringed the village to the north, so Tara was both surprised and confused when her father turned the cart off the main track and onto a faint path that led along the hill's summit.

“Pappa?” she queried. “Aren't we going to town?”

“Not just yet, dear heart,” replied Tara's Pappa, his voice catching and breaking. “I need to see some men first.”

Tara shrugged with a carefree smile, and turned to watch the path of a fluttering songbird. “Okay Pappa.”

The cart carrying father and daughter rattled along the path, little more than two thin lines worn into the grass. It followed the ridge for a spell, weaving between small stands of birch and alder trees. By a worn granite boulder taller than Tara, the path turned away from town, and followed a gentle slope downwards into a small dell ringed by sky reaching pine trees.

A rough camp had been erected in the clearing there. A couple of heavy wagons and a line of hobbled horses stood on one side, and a row of canvas tents and a larger pavilion stood on the other. In the center of the clearing was a high fenced enclosure with a padlocked gate. Around it stood a handful of brawny, bored-looking men, leaning on spears, with cudgels in their belts.

Tara craned her head, peering this way and that as she sought to discover what the enclosure contained, but the fence was high and thickly woven, and easily thwarted her attempt. She turned to her Pappa, a myriad of questions bubbling at the tip of her tongue, but her father's expression was so miserable that the words froze in her mouth.

“Pappa?”

Dashing away tears with one calloused hand, Tara's father rounded on her and swept her into a crushing embrace. Confused, Tara still returned the hug enthusiastically.

“Gods, I love you Tara,” he passionately whispered. “You do know that, don't you?”

“Of course I do,” Tara replied curiously. “And I love you too Pappa.”

Choking back a sob, he abruptly released Tara and hurled himself off the cart in a frenzy of movement. Hurrying around the cart, he almost yanked Tara off the cart, but set her down with exaggerated care. His behavior was starting to worry Tara now, and her brow was furrowed as her father led her halfway towards the pavilion before pausing.

Turning to his face his daughter, Tara's father dropped to his knees beside her, placing a hand on each of her shoulders. His face was twisted by some great conflict, and his lips were working wordlessly, searching for words that didn't want to come.

Finally, they did. “Tara ... this isn't what I wanted, you have to believe that. I never wanted this for you.”

“Pappa?” Tara asked, confused.

Her father continued regardless, apparently unwilling to explain. “I don't have any choice, dear heart. This was the only thing I could do ... and you're strong Tara. Stronger than you know. You can survive this, I know you can!”

“Survive what, Pappa?” Tara asked, her voice low and frightened now.

He hugged her again, so tightly it was as if he never wanted to let her go again. “No matter what, dear heart, always remember that we love you.”

Then, forcing himself upright, Tara's father led her the rest of the way to the pavilion. Two men met them there beneath the hanging canvas. One was tall, broad shouldered and rough faced, the twin of those men guarding the enclosure. The other man was short, with receding, slicked back hair and a pinched expression. Tara would not have been surprised to see oil freely dripping from him.

The oily man gave Tara's father an insincere smile, three gold teeth winking at them. “You came then,” he noted, sounding mildly surprised. “This her then?” he asked, indicating Tara with a nod of his head.

Tara's Pappa nodded curtly, as if he couldn't trust his voice, and the oily man stepped closer to her, crouching down to study Tara's face. Reaching out, he took hold of Tara's jaw by the hand, blatently ignoring the way the Tara tensed at the violation of her person space. He turned her head one way, then the other, before forcing her mouth open to study her teeth, as if she were a horse he was considering buying. Tara didn't resist; she was too off balance and confused to even consider the idea.

“Nice,” grunted the oily man, his appraisal completed. “She'll do nicely all right.” Rising to his feet, he met Tara's father's downcast gaze head on, and held out his hand. After a long moment's hesitation, Tara's Pappa reached out his own trembling hand, and shook the oily man's.

“Done then!” announced the oily man, pumping their conjoined hands up and down a single time before releasing. Retrieving a coin pouch from within his leather vest, he handed it to Tara's Pappa with the chink of coinage. “The agreed upon price. Pleasure doin' business with ye.”

Tara's father hesitated, licking his lips in apprehension as his gaze flickered back and forth between his daughter and the pouch in his open hand. “She ... she won't .... be mistreated, will she?” he asked in a quavering voice, eyes hooded and haunted.

Lips curving slightly, the oily man shook his head. “Nay, far from it. Likely enough, she'll have a better life than you could ever provide for her.”

To Tara, bewildered and scared, his eyes screamed liar, but it seemed her father wanted to believe the lie, for his head jerked in a spasmodic nod. Taking a final, tortured glance at his daughter, Tara's Pappa turned and strode away.

Faintly, beneath his breath, the oily man muttered, “And if ye believe that, you're a damnable fool.”

Tara made as if to follow her father, but the other man clamped his hand painfully on her shoulder and pulled her to a halt. “No you don't, poppet. You belong to us now.”

“What?” squeaked Tara. She looked after her retreating father. “Pappa? Pappa, where are you going?” she begged, panic rising. “Pappa? Pappa, come back! Pappa!”

Her father continued walking, shoulders hunched, flinching every time Tara called for him. She screamed his name, and her father broke into a clumsy run ... away from her. Behind her, the oily man gave a nod, and his companion dealt Tara a heavy slap to the back of her head that laid her flat in the dust.

“Don't make it harder on him, lass,” advised the oily man lazily. “If your father tries to change his mind, he'll find the price ta buy ye far higher than what we paid for ye. And ... well, lets just say that if money weren't an issue, ye wouldn't a' been sold in the first place, eh?”

Tara stayed down, lying in the dust, and watched as her father leapt aboard the cart and spurred their broken-down old horse to a canter. Tears welled silently in eyes as she watched her father abandon her, feeling cold and numb inside.

Standing above her, the second man grunted in satisfaction at Tara's apparent acquiescence, and looked to his companion. “What's the tale there then, Davos? Ain't often ya see one o' these sheep-shaggers out in the territories willin' ta sell his own sprats.”

The oily man, Davos by name and slave trader by occupation, shrugged. “Ahh, tis the usual tale, Ponx. Poor harvest or suchlike leaves the stupid bugger unable ta pay his taxes, dunnit. So he's faced with a choice, see? He can see hisself sold ta pay the debt, and his whole family ta boot, or he can sell yon fair little skirt hisself, and earn enough silver to buy him and his another year.”

The other man, Ponx, let out a hearty guffaw. “Never thought the taxman would do the likes of us any favors, eh!”

Davos grinned like a weasel, or some other small rodent. “That's the gods own truth, me friend. Now then, strip the wee bint down, I wanna see the rest of her.”

Tara found herself hoisted upright, and before she could emit the slightest sound of protest, her dress and small clothes were torn clean off her body, leaving her naked and vulnerable before the two men's measuring, dispassionate gaze. Tara cringed, and tried to cover her nakedness, but Ponx slapped her hands away and forced her to stand straight, head back and arms at her side.

Davos nodded happily. “Aye, she's a fine piece of virgin ass, and she'll earn us a pretty penny at market. Now, get her in chains and put her in with the rest.”

Ponx dragged Tara away by one arm, uncaring if she could keep up with his long stride or not. All the while, Tara looked back helplessly at the rising cloud of dust that signified her father's progress, and wept.

He had never even looked back.

To be continued ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:15 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

:paranoid Tara's in a lot of trouble... :( I wonder how this is going to play out...

Maybe she's not the girl that slit the priest's throat... or maybe she is...I don't really know at this point, all I know is that I hope she gets away from these two disgusting men... and fast. Maybe she'll run away and the priest takes her in? :paranoid

can't wait for the next chapter, paulie.

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:44 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky That stupid jerk of a father no let,s not give him the honor of being called a father now I ,m pissed I wish I could beat him myself! That poor baby girl I just hold on to the fact that our girls will find each other. :sob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:07 am 
9. Gay Now

Oh my god Paul. If I thought I was intrigued by your other story, then I'm doubly intrigued by this one. Holy moly. That was one of the most heartbreaking scenes I've ever read. You made me teary-eyed, and I mean that as a compliment. So I guess that girl in the church place wasn't Tara. But this scene, wow.

Quote:
“Done then!” announced the oily man, pumping their conjoined hands up and down a single time before releasing. Retrieving a coin pouch from within his leather vest, he handed it to Tara's Pappa with the chink of coinage. “The agreed upon price. Pleasure doin' business with ye.”

and this

Quote:
Likely enough, she'll have a better life than you could ever provide for her.”

To Tara, bewildered and scared, his eyes screamed liar, but it seemed her father wanted to believe the lie, for his head jerked in a spasmodic nod.

“And if ye believe that, you're a damnable fool.”

and this

Quote:
Her father continued walking, shoulders hunched, flinching every time Tara called for him. She screamed his name, and her father broke into a clumsy run ... away from her. Behind her, the oily man gave a nod, and his companion dealt Tara a heavy slap to the back of her head that laid her flat in the dust.

Hell, if I could I would just quote the whole darn chapter. I'm still whimpering about it, and my girlfriend keeps asking me what's wrong, hehe. All of it is just so heartbreaking. Willow's situation and Tara's life. I can't even imagine what kinds of people they will be as they grow. I'm anticipating a long and intense road. I feel like Dori, singing in my head "Just keep happy, just keep happy." Great chapter Paul. Definitely looking forwards to the next one.

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:46 pm 
9. Gay Now

Paul!! :paranoid

Tara's Papa sold her away and her little nekkid self is being dragged away by oily gross hitty men who are going to sell her in town after she was all happy and sweet in her blue dress and bow?!

You are truely the most evil onion of them all.

Nonono no! This simply will not do!

What are you doing? You have to save her (or have Willow save her) or by god have someone else save her! Now! Post haste! Do not pass go, do not collect $200! You got her in this mess mr... and now you gotta save her! I hope you are writing writing writing 'cause I am in a bit of a tizzy. Save her! Please :aww?

db

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:49 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

I'm allowed to be infuriated, right? Not at you, of course -- but it's never nice to see Tara forced into such a bleak future. I have no doubt this is going to resolve itself nicely in a wonderful tale that I will have to follow for the next year or so. :P

I'm loving it so far, in all it's despair.

diamondforever's fanfiction archive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:43 pm 
3. Flaming O

To answer your question: far as my understanding goes, the difference between an Uber an an AU is that AU is "like canon, only different" (e.g. it's still set in what's basically the Jossverse, but Tara is the Slayer and Willow is a souled vampire), while Uber means dropping the characters in a completely different setting (e.g. Tara is a highwaywoman and Willow is the pirate who loves her). So this fic would qualify as an Uber.

Regarding the chapter itself: little Tara is so cute. And - sold into slavery? :sob You have me really worried there. I can only hope she'll at least meet Willow soon. *wibbles*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:15 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Oh my, poor Tara. You sure like to make our girls miserable.Though I hope this paid off when they meet. One way or other.

Things at Spain are good, thanks for asking. Have a nice easter. Hugs. Update soon. ok?I love the story

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:32 am 
2. Floating Rose

And here I thought chapter 2 was a prequel to chapter 1. Tara was sold to those men.. and abused.. :happy
But if the girl in the temple is not Tara, then who? The men could either have lost or sold her to the temple (although I don't know why, if only to get out of trouble).

And then I thought Willow had the unknown pleasure of beating up her and Taras tormentor, but maybe not. Anyway, great story, despite the darkness. I hope W and T will meet soon. Better two than one in such a city.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:20 am 
9. Gay Now

Alright, an addendum to my earlier post, I wanted to touch on the subject of the girl in the temple, since everyone seems to be speculating on that. I just wanted to say that I think the girl who was in the temple may not be that important. She could have been used to show that the priest had exhibited this type of behavior before, and to show that this world is not a very nice place. I mean, she could be important, but I don't think she really is. But then again, maybe I'm just guessing and none of this is making any sense. Feel free to point and laugh.

~Sara

Find out in Speak Easy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:44 pm 
3. Flaming O

Speaking of the tow-headed girl.. if she is an important character at all, I have a feeling that it's Anya. It's Anya because...I don't know, she got her revenge on the priest.

...this made a lot more sense in my head.

Post subject: Re: In the Wake of the Wild Rose - Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:26 am 
10. Troll Hammer

G'day all!

Before I move onto replies, first we have a note from our sponsers ... which is me. :p But seriously, since receiving an email, I've rethought the rating for this story, due to certain unpleasant concepts of an adult nature. Nothing about the story itself is changing, just the rating.

Now, back to the author's regularly scheduled bullshit ...

-----

Emms - G'day Emms! Yes, Tara is in a lot of trouble, but I'm afraid that she isn't going to be getting out of it any time soon ... chronologically, that is.

But no, she wasn't the girl that delivered the coup de grace to el priesto. I'm afraid that Tara isn't going to have an easy time of things. I know, I'm a meanie.

-----

Dianneswillowtree - Well, I'm guessing that you aren't inclined to cut Tara's father any slack? :grin You hold onto that fact that our girls will end up together, because you're going to need it.

-----

tazraven - G'day Sara! Aw shucks, it affected you that much? I'll choose to take that as a complement, and not worry about any potential bad thoughts your girlfriend may have directed in my direction for upsetting you. :grin

As for what kinds of people they're going to grow into? Well you're about to find out. Thanks for reading.

-----

db -
Quote:
Tara's Papa sold her away and her little nekkid self is being dragged away by oily gross hitty men who are going to sell her in town after she was all happy and sweet in her blue dress and bow?!

You are truely the most evil onion of them all.

You say that like you're surprised. :devil

Now Tara will be saved, and in this very next update ... but quite an amount of time has passed between these two updates. Sorry.

----

diamondforever - By all means, be infuriated. I'd be surprised if nobody was, given what's happened. And yes, Tara's future is bleak, perhaps moreso than you imagine, but in the next update it starts to turn around.

Cheers!

-----

Devi Crystalseeker - G'day Devi! Yeah, that's what I thought. I should have called it an uber to begin with, but much like with the rating I just didn't put too much thought into it. I was just in too much of a rush to post I guess.

I'm sorry to say, but you're right to be worried. And Tara will met Willow soon ... to us. In the timeframe of the story itself ... well that's another thing alltogether.

-----

viximon - G'day Vix! Well, I wouldn't say that I like making them miserable ... it's just that's what I'm good at.

I hope you had a good easter too mate!

-----

Darkness - Nope, not a prequel. The two chapters were happening more concurrently. So no, it definitely wasn't Tara in the temple.

The darkness in this story is going to be sort of constant, but from the next update onwards, some rays of sunshine start to appear. Enjoy!

-----

tazraven mk 2 - No pointing and laughing here. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

-----

KloeFrost - Sorry, but no. I did have an idea for the 'tow-headed girl' but that's not going to work out on reflection. I have an idea to use Anya though, but she probably won't have a big part, and won't appear until much later.

Cheers!

-----

Now, onto the update!

Cheers,
Paul.

Post subject: Re: In the Wake of the Wild Rose - Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:27 am 
10. Troll Hammer

All disclaimers apply.

~~~~~

Chapter the Third – Winnings.

Two decades later, Willow stretched her slender body lazily in her chair, ignoring the creak as the rickety structure threatened to collapse, and peered insolently at her opponent. The pass of time had seen the once scrawny street rat become a beautiful woman, slim but well muscled by years of hard labor.

Long days beneath a harsh sun had left her once pale skin tanned and freckled, and her tousled mop of red hair had become long and lustrous. Falling past her shoulder blades, the bulk of Willow's hair had been gathered together and woven into a simple braid. The hair on the sides of her head had been tied into a mass of smaller braids with narrow leather thongs, and colored beads woven into the ends that clicked against each other with each toss of her head.

A tight pair of emerald silk trousers showed off Willow's legs to an almost indecent degree, and she wore a fine pair of riding boots that reached to mid calf, the brown leather scuffed from long use. A loose blouse of cream-colored linen, embroidered at collar and wrists with an elaborate pattern of rose blossoms and thorned stems, and an open leather vest completed her attire. The shirt had a deep, plunging neckline that showed of the swell of Willow's modest cleavage, and the sleeves had been left unlaced and rolled back to leave her hands free. A salt-stained tricorner hat sat upside down on the table before her.

“Well?” she drawled, treating her opponent to a carefree smirk, before taking another swig of ale from a battered tankard sitting beside her hat.

From the other side of the table, Rren scowled like a petulant child, which was not a good look on a full grown man. But the permanently down turned corners of his mouth made it look as if it was an expression he adopted on a regular basis. Rren gave every impression of being a man who was constantly dissatisfied with his lot in life, an attitude which seemed rather childish, given the fine cut of his obviously expensive clothes, and the willingly profligate manner in which he'd been losing money this night.

Still, Willow had no compunction in lightening her opponent's coin purse; something about his round cheeked face and pomaded black hair rubbed her the wrong way. And judging by the hand of cards she currently held, Willow was quite sure that she was going to lighten that purse yet again.

“Well?” she repeated. “Are you in, or are you out?”

Biting his lower lip, Rren ignored her in favor of glaring at his own hand. Sighing loudly, and pointedly, Willow occupied herself by scanning the rest of the room, a private gaming chamber at the back of a tavern who's name utterly escaped Willow for the moment. The walls were peeling, the roof colored by damp, and the furniture was, as Willow had already noticed, threatening to collapse at any moment.

All of these signs loudly announced that this wasn't one of the finer taverns in the coastal metropolis of Devastapol. Which was exactly the reason that Willow liked it. The finer establishments in this, or any other city on the shores of the Endless Sea tended to be infested by the wealthy and noble born, and Willow's childhood on the streets and alleys of Northport, then working aboard the ships that plied the waves had left her with a deep disdain of that breed. Such sorts rarely frequented such places as this, and those that did came to do business with people such as Willow.

They came to do business with smugglers and pirates.

Willow wasn't sure if this Rren fellow was such a one, but she was perfectly happy to take his money. The only problem might lie with the fellows clustered behind him. There were five of them, bravos, street toughs and mercenaries all, clad in rough clothes and studded leather jerkins. All of them were armed, and looked the sort who'd slit a throat for a copper penny. Willow was intimately familiar with their kind; indeed, much of her crew was made up of a similar sort.

One exception was the man who stood just behind her, shifting anxiously from one foot to the other. A dark haired, and open-faced young man, Xander was her first mate, and one of her dearest friends, a rare commodity for a smuggler like Willow. He was a fine sailor, and dependable as a rock in a tough situation. Willow just wished that he would stop moving about so much; it was making him look shifty.

“Will you stop that!” Willow hissed back at him from the corner of her mouth.

Xander blinked, then leaned forward to whisper in Willow's ear. “Stop what?”

“Moving around so much! You're making me nervous!”

He looked down at his feet, as if he hadn't even known they were moving. “I can't help it,” he hissed back. Xander darted a look back at a small pile of broken lumber swept into one corner. “I can't exactly sit down, can I?”

Willow fought the urge to grin; in a typical display of Xander's luck, he'd found the one chair that had gone past the stage where it only threatened to collapse, and instead carried through on its threat.

The chink of metal on metal grabbed Willow's attention, and she returned to the game. Rren had raised her, and was regarding Willow with an arrogant smirk. One corner of Willow's lips twitched in a lazy smile, and Rren's face fell. This really isn't his game, she thought gleefully.

Reaching into her upended hat, Willow drew forth a small leather pouch, and upended its clinking contents onto the existing pile of currency. The twenty gold crowns she'd added more than doubled the existing bet.

“I raise,” she declared, and Rren bristled.

“I can't match that!” he complained, and Willow pretended to only just then notice the handful of copper pennies and a single silver mark that was all that remained on Rren's side of the table. She was, of course, acting; Willow knew perfectly well how much money her opponent had on him, and she meant to take every last penny.

“No! Really?” she gasped theatrically, and behind her Xander stifled a laugh. Willow reached out to scoop up the game's final pot, but Rren grabbed her by the wrist. The barbed glance Willow hurled at Rren made him yank his hand back as if burned.

“I can't match your bet in coin, but I have something else that you should be willing to accept,” he blustered, scowling impotently, furious at being so obviously intimidated by a woman. Willow had met his kind before; just because she didn't have a piece of meat hanging between her legs, he thought she was less than him in every way. Just another reason to take this wretch for all he's worth, thought Willow. If he's got something else to bet, I'll be happy to take that too.

She drew back, slumping once more into her chair with a lazily imperious gesture. Jerking his head, Rren sent one of his bodyguards out of the room. The rest of them waited, the tension in the room noticeably growing as Rren fiddled with his cards and shot sullen looks in Willow's direction.

Disguising the movement as a lazy stretch, Willow surreptitiously eased the dagger she kept at the small of her back in its sheath. Doing likewise with the sabre at her hip might push tension into actual violence.

Finally, the errant bodyguard returned, with another person following close behind, and Willow's attention immediately perked up. The newcomer was a voluptuous young woman, clad in a simple cotton dress, with hair the color of spun gold falling in a shining wave all the way to her waist. The blonde kept her head bowed, face half hidden beneath a curtain of hair, and her entire demeanor screamed of subservience.

Tis a pity, Willow mused, she's a fine figure of a woman, to be sure. But I like my lovers to have a touch of spirit.

“What's this?” she asked aloud, smirking. “Are you offerin' me her services to darn my socks? I don't think that quite covers the bet.”

Lips curling disdainfully, Rren shook his head. “No, I'm offering you her,” he sneered, beckoning the blonde over to his side. “Show your face, damn it!”

Obediently, the blonde lifted her head and looked straight at Willow, and the redhead found herself staring into the most beautiful pair of cornflower blue eyes she'd ever seen. But even captivated as she was, Willow couldn't help but notice that the eyes staring into her own were utterly blank and lifeless. They might as well have been made of glass, beautiful but soulless.

What happened to kill you inside, my lovely? wondered Willow, feeling the faint stirrings of anger now. But she buried them beneath a facade of jaded amusement.

“You're trying to bet the services of your wife?” she asked, sounding unimpressed. “I don't care how good a seamstress she is, darning my socks is hardly worth twenty crowns, no matter how fine the stitching.”

“My wife?” Rren exploded in a burst of cutting laughter. “My pretty little Tara here is my slave. My pleasure slave.” He drew out the word pleasure in a disturbingly perverse manner.

Rren directed a sly glance at the tattoo on the fleshy part of Willow's hand between thumb and forefinger. It was a labrys; the image of a double-headed axe, a symbol that marked Willow as a worshiper of Sappho, the aspect of the Goddess of Love dedicated to the love shared between women.

“I'm sure you find her talents to your liking,” sneered Rren pointedly, “and if you don't, you can always sell her. With her skills, she's worth far more than twenty crowns.”

Throughout his sales pitch, Rren paid no attention whatsoever to Willow's face, choosing instead to ogle her breasts, or he would have seen an expression of freezing, icy fury flash across Willow's face. Rren's bodyguards didn't share his blinkered vision, and placed wary hands upon the hilts of their weapons.

“She's a slave?” Willow growled flatly.

“Oh aye, and a delightedly obedient one at that,” Rren replied, still talking to his opponent's chest. “Is she acceptable collateral?”

Willow's reply was a single clipped word. “Certainly.”

A slight exclamation of surprise came from Xander, but Willow silenced him with an imperious glare, before settling back in her seat in a display of apparent relaxation. She gestured for Rren to show his cards. With an arrogant smirk, Rren did exactly that, one by one.

Willow's face fell; three of the five faded, wrinkled playing cards bore similar markings. The Lord of Fire, a man wreathed in fire, but not burning. The Lord of Water, rising from the ocean, dripping with water. The Lord of Earth, a figure carved from stone, striding across a lake of burning lava. Three of the four elemental lords, a potentially winning hand.

Rren laughed openly at the crestfallen expression on Willow's face, sniggering like a spoiled little boy as he leaned forward to scrape his winnings back to his side of the table. It was Willow's turn now to grab him by the wrist, and Rren stiffened in indignation.

His expression of triumph withered and died as Willow revealed her cards one handed with a deliberately slow pace. Four Priestesses looked up at Rren with serene, painted faces. Rren's eyes flicked up as Willow revealed her last card, just in time to catch her mocking grin.

“Oh dear,” Willow gasped breathlessly, “Have I won again?”

Rren furiously snatched his hand away, unable to take his eyes off the cards that had just cost him a small fortune.

“So I guess your slave is all mine now,” finished Willow, in a voice like silk-sheathed steel.

His head shot back up at that, and Rren lunged to his feet, sending his chair hurtling backwards, face livid with rage. “You cheated me, you bitch!” he snarled, fists clenched. “You thieving whore!”

Darting to her feet, Willow kicked her own chair backwards, narrowly missing Xander. “Whore? Whore! That's a bit rich, coming from a slave-mongering bastard!” she spat back at him, pointing an accusing finger. “Is it my fault that you can't play cards worth a damn?”

If it was possible, Rren's face purpled even further until he was on the verge of apoplexy. He slammed a fist down on the tabletop. “You cheating slut! You'll not keep a single penny of my money!”

There was a flash of silver, and eight inches of razor edged steel was naked in Willow's fist, held low and angled up in the manner of someone who knew what they were doing. “I'd like to see you try and take it,” she growled.

Eyes widening in sudden apprehension, Rren lurched backwards, closer to the door. Glancing furiously at his bodyguards, he waved them forward. “What am I paying you for! Gut the bitch! Kill 'em both!”

All five of them inched forwards, drawing short swords and daggers, or pulling iron-banded cudgels from their belts. In response, Xander drew his own cutlass, and Willow half drew her sabre in warning. None of Rren's toughs displayed any enthusiasm to press the attack, for they all knew the odds were that at least one of them would die in the attack, and they lacked the discipline of trained soldiers.

And all the while, Tara stood motionless, staring blankly at the opposite wall as if she wasn't surrounded by people wielding lethal weapons.

“What are you waiting for, damn your eyes!” railed Rren angrily, even as he was cravenly stepping further back himself. “Slaughter the pair of them!”

Willow's blade slipped the rest of the way out of its scabbard with a soft whisper, and she spun it in an elaborate flourish. Then, looking past Rren to a suddenly open door, she grinned like a fox amongst the chickens.

A heavily tanned hand reached around from behind Rren, catching him by the jaw and wrenching his head back, while a second hand whipped around to place a forward curving knife at his throat. Rren froze, but the knife's edge was sharp enough that it drew a crimson, beaded line on Rren's neck with the faintest of whispers.

“I really don't think ye wanna be doin' that, laddies,” drawled a dry, guttural voice. “On the grounds that yon fancy man canna be payin' ye if I saw his head clean off.”

The bravos menacing Willow and Xander drew to a halt, relief peeking out from behind their masks of protective machismo. They were fine when performing casual protection, or hassling otherwise helpless victims, but prey that threatened to fight back wasn't to their liking.

“What took you so long, Mocker?” complained Willow, even though she was grinning broadly.

A head appeared over Rren's shoulder. A shaggy mop of brown hair, graying at the temples was tied back from a tanned face by a leather thong. Slate-gray eyes twinkled merrily above a hawkish nose that had been broken multiple times in the past. A thick scarlet chevron was tattooed on his face, the point situated on the bridge of his nose and flaring down each cheek. When he spoke, he revealed teeth stained crimson, a result of a bloodroot chewing habit.

“Well, if I'd a known ye were gettin' yerself inta mischief Cap'n, I'd have been here sooner,” replied the man named Mockery, Willow's second mate. “Honestly, we canna let ye go anywhere without a chaperone, can we?”

“Hey!” protested Xander indignantly. “What am I, chopped liver?”

“Nah ... chopped liver looks nicer, don't it,” snickered Mocker, and Rren quietly whimpered as the blade at his throat bit a little tighter at the movement.

Willow stamped her booted foot on the floor, hard, to get their attention. “Who's the captain here?” she demanded, eyes narrowed dangerously. “Cuz I'm pretty sure it's me! So how about we act like it for a change!”

“Sorry, Cap'n,” chorused both men contritely, in near harmony with each other.

“You lot,” she snapped, indicating the mob of Rren's bravos, an instinctive note of command in her voice. “Get up against that far wall, or my man will give your master a second, red smile.”

“With a smile on me lips, and a song in me heart, Cap'n,” agreed Mocker cheerfully. The five street toughs dutifully obeyed, shuffling up against the far wall. Willow noticed one of them lustfully eying the slave girl, and glared at him ferociously.

The object of all this attention still hadn't moved, other than to bow her head once more and hide her face behind that glorious curtain of hair. What was her name again? wondered Willow. I know he said it, I'm sure of that. But I'll be damned if I can remember it.

“Xander, snag the loot. And don't forget my hat,” Willow ordered, distracted by the quandary currently facing her. Her instincts, honed by a life on the street and then in a dangerous profession, told Willow that she should abandon the girl, that she would slow their escape. It wasn't fair, it wasn't nice, but it was a cold, harsh reality.

But something wouldn't let Willow do that, some other, different instinct refused to let Willow leave the slave girl to her fate. It wasn't that Willow was physically attracted to her, though she undoubtedly was. Willow wasn't the type of woman to be swayed by a pretty face, or graceful curves. No, it was something else, something Willow couldn't explain.

She didn't like that; Willow always liked to be in control. It was why she'd scrimped, and saved and stolen enough to buy her own ship. It was why she'd hardened her heart after her mother's demise, why she refused to let anyone touch her heart, why she constantly strove to make herself harder, meaner.

But Willow found herself unable to do it. It wasn't that she was a slave; though she hated the institution personally, Willow was realistic enough to know that she couldn't abolish slavery all on her own. It wasn't pity, though Willow would freely admit that the slave girl cut a pitiable figure.

Tara. Her name was Tara.

Willow surrendered, sheathing her dagger and holding out her hand. Tara's head tilted slightly, almost imperceptibly, to look at the redhead's proffered appendage. She looked up, vivid blue eyes peeking through her fringe. They were still disturbingly blank, lifeless.

“Don't you ...” Rren started to snarl, before his voice choked off with a pained yelp. Willow heard a steady stream of quiet, but vividly detailed threats come from behind her in Mockery's voice. Xander was beginning to mutter too, concerned by the delay, but Willow focused solely on the woman in front of her.

Tara looked back down at Willow's hand again as the redhead extended it further, studying it as if she had never seen its like before. Take it, willed Willow. Take it.

Finally, she took it.

“Cap'n?” inquired Mocker calmly. “What now?”

Willow turned her head to look at her companions, Xander with her hat clasped to his chest, Mockery peering over Rren's shoulder, wearing a wicked grin.

“Now? Now, we run.”

To be continued ...

Post subject: Re: In the Wake of the Wild Rose - Uber (Updated 18 Apr)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:46 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
A bit fat DIBS

Hi there Paul,
Firstly, your description of a grown up Willow was awesome…be still my racing heart! I could imagine her sitting there so clearly and it was a damn good picture in my mind!
As soon as I read that Willow was a smuggler I immediately thought of a Han Solo sort of figure, indeed her confident demeanour seems to agree with the comparison.
Enter Tara as the ex slave of that loathsome coward and my skin crawled, but Willow’s response was perfect – anger directed at someone who would use another person like that, and a desire to free her. I almost clapped aloud when she won and her crew won out over Rren’s thugs. (Although I do like a good swordfight…but I’m sure there will be some to come…right, right?)
There’s so much excitement to come, the fleeing…and then not to mention the building of the relationship between the two girls, I can’t wait to see how you handle it.
Great update!

Post subject: Re: In the Wake of the Wild Rose - Uber (Updated 18 Apr)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:56 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

:pinky Wow, what a incredible wonderful twist. Love how Willow grown up though I feel really bad about Tara. Xander was so cute as ever he he he. Looking forward to next chapter alredy.
Cheers!