The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: In the Wake of the Wild Rose - Uber (Updated 25th Feb)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:11 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
Ooooh, wonderbar!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:26 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Clockwork God???? This story keeps getting more interesting! :D I really enjoyed the interaction between Willow & Tara in this update. And Tara getting the courage to ask Shenj-do about whether she could trust Willow ... shows the potential to trust! :D

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:29 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:04 am 
2. Floating Rose

This is excellently written. I'm hooked.

Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:24 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
Hi there Paul,
I don’t think I missed Australia with my good writing vibes because here you are with another chapter…and only mildly tardy this time.

I should imagine that Tara is finding Willow’s concentrated scrutiny difficult, I mean, who wouldn’t squirm under Willow’s beautiful gaze? I feel their conversation in this chapter was a great step towards an understanding between them (and also towards the eventual goal of smoochies but I can be patient for that part). Right now, they just need to talk because both of them have a lot invested in the relationship already, although they don’t know the full extent of it of course. Good thing Willow has a band of loyal friends around her who can help her win Tara’s trust

I love Faith, she’s bad and that’s exceptionally hot. I sense that something very exciting and insidious is afoot. We have a new player(s) in the story, the adepts of the Clockwork God, whom I think will have quite an impact and I’m looking forward to seeing some of their weird science.
Quote:
One of the hands that drew back his hood had two missing fingers, the absent fleshy digits replaced by ones of metal that whirred and occasionally twitched.

Your AU equivalent of the Borg??!!
The tension level is running high already with Faith setting out on trail of the Wild Rose and I anticipate it building.
Cheers very much mate, and get working on the next chapter why dontcha?
:peace
Alcy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:33 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hey there! So glad to see a new update. I was wondering about poor, sick Tara, and now I know. I'm glad to see she's on the mend, and I'm really thrilled to see she has a buddy of sorts in Shenj-do. I think she trusts him and thanks to him, will hopefully grow to trust Willow. I'm really getting anxious for their relationship to move along, but I know this is going to take some time.

But, then you give us this new twist, and Faith gets to ride on the Crazy Submarine. This is very interesting, but I don't think it bodes well for Willow and her crew. Can't wait to see where this goes.

More soon please!

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:17 pm 
5. Willowhand

I can't recall if I've left feedback before or not. If "not," then I suck, cause I've been reading this fic and digging it mightily (while it digs at my heart.) It's a great adventure tinged with mystery and wow... superduper sadness. There was an itty bitty tinkerbell light at the end of the tunnel, though, and this was it:

Quote:
Willow hurried out of the cabin, so fast that she was only a hairsbreadth shy of running, and when the door had shut behind her, she leaned her forehead against it and took a deep, shuddering breath. “Gods help me ...”

Ohboy, she likes her. Muchly, huh? We all know where Willow liking Tara leads? That's right, HOT. GAY. LOVE. Or, you know, sweetness and stuff. But I vote for HOT. GAY. LOVE.

Seriously, though, thanks for this story and for momentarily sweeping me away from blah day at the office.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:54 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Paul
I love this fic! Pirates, villains, monsters (of both human and non-human variety), and a damsel in distress. Plus!! really neat world for them. It'd make a great movie.

I'm sad that I've missed a few updates - and sorry that I've missed giving feedback. I haven't had a lot of time for relaxing for a while, although I'm getting a teensy break from all the busyness now, so I'm making the most of it.

Looking forward to more
thanks
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:49 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey

We are waiting for one of your amazing updates. hope you will post something soon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:08 am 
3. Flaming O

Wonderful tale your are spinning! Reminds me of my roleplaying days.. I do hope for a continuation to this story, it is too good not to go on! Ah, and the image of a sea faring Willow, good one!!!

Fly forever free,
Nenyath

~The Show Must Go On by Queen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:28 am 
4. Extra Flamey

I've been waiting FOREVER for an update to this story. I got hooked on it on Chris' site, and it's great to see the additional bits here, but I'm dyin' fer a fix. Give a girl a break. I can only write so much of my own work before I need to seek solace in another realm.

http://citychickenfarm.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:06 am 
18. Breast Gal

Very, very late that I am, let me just say that each new chapter of this story seems to add another layer of imagination to it. Have you read anything by China Mieville? This reminds me of his Bas-Lag books - you can barely turn a page without discovering something new and surprising about the world it's set in, yet it all works together - in strange and surprising ways, but it works - and you get the sense that he's somehow planned out the whole world, and is just revealing it piece by piece. Same thing here - Shenj-do and his culture, and the Clockwork God, and the way our heroes and villains interact with them feel very much real, fantastical though they are (especially the adept).

Willow and Tara are in a really fascinating position - having had some insight into Tara's mind, I'm now curious about Willow again. She seems to be accepting her attraction to Tara - its existence, if not a need to act on it - and being troubled by how much Tara still needs to sort herself out after only just being freed after a lifetime as a slave. It must be so difficult for her to want Tara - the potential to abuse Tara's fragile grasp on herself is so great, even unintentionally, Willow must feel like she'd be walking on eggshells just to be around her.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:34 am 
10. Troll Hammer

G'day kittens! Well, it's official ... my writing pace these days sucks! I won't bore you with the details of my woes though. First replies, then onto the update-age!

-----

Zooeys_Bridge - Thank you kindly. :p

-----

LittleBit - More interesting, you say? Oh good ... I'd hate to be going the other way. :D Tara might be showing the potential to trust ... but that's not quite the same as trusting, is it. :devil

-----

Zampsa1975 - Yay for update-y goodness ... now all I have do is maintain my writing momentum for a change. :p

-----

seemystoneheartbreaking - Thank you! I hope that hook isn't through anything important. :p

-----

Alcy - Hmmm ... if I was mildly tardy last time, what am I this time? After all, the last update I posted was in ... Febuary?!? Yeesh!

Quote:
I feel their conversation in this chapter was a great step towards an understanding between them (and also towards the eventual goal of smoochies but I can be patient for that part). Right now, they just need to talk because both of them have a lot invested in the relationship already, although they don’t know the full extent of it of course.

Ahh ... yes, well. You know what they say, don't you? Two steps forward, one step back. :devil (That cackle might make more sense after you read the new update. If it doesn't ... well, just shake your head and mutter something about me being a loon :p)

The Adepts of the Clockwork God; take a dash of the Borg, a pinch of cyberpunk (or should that be steampunk?) and simmer for sixty minutes in a warped mind.

Cheers!

-----

wimpy0729 - Yep, Tara is on the mend, but it'll be a little while before she gets up on her feet. Hey, at least they didn't get amputated, right? :p But yes, time is needed before there will be any W&T snuggle-y type action.

Quote:
But, then you give us this new twist, and Faith gets to ride on the Crazy Submarine.

Who needs that stinky ol' yellow submarine! I'm going sailing in a crazy submarine, a crazy submarine, a crazy submarine .... :D

-----

katjetson - Nope, you haven't posted feedback before; I checked. :p But no suckage necessary.

Quote:
Ohboy, she likes her. Muchly, huh? We all know where Willow liking Tara leads?

Yes we do! To that little (or not so little, as the case may be) pervy part of the mind every self respecting kitten has. :devil

Glad I could help with the blah work day!

-----

spells42 - G'day Anne! Thanks mate. You reckon this would make a good movie? So long as the Hollywierd execs don't bollocks it up by ... oh, I don't know, turning Willow into a dude or something ... :p

Here's hoping that your relaxation time is coming a bit more frequently now.

-----

Chummy - Here's hoping I post the next update just a touch sooner this time.

-----

Nenyath - Thank you! And never fear, this will be finished. Later, rather than sooner, based on my recent pace, but it will be finished.

Quote:
Ah, and the image of a sea faring Willow, good one!!!

Oh my, yes. There's just so many opportunities for something along the lines of a wet t-shirt contest ...

-----

taylorgirl6 - Yeah, sorry it took so long to write this last update. Lets hope the next one won't take as long.

-----

Artemis - G'day Chris!

You're late? Hah! You still beat this update!

China Mieville? Nope, can't say I've heard of ... er ... I'm going with her. Any good?

If you think I've planned all this out ahead of time, rather than just pulled it out of my arse at a moments notice .... er ... well, I won't argue with you. :p

It's not just Tara's fragile state that's got Willow so antsy ... she's also afraid of how strong her own feelings are. Don't forget, Willow's got her own emotional scars. But yes, that eggshell analogy is particularly apt.

Cheers,
Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:36 am 
10. Troll Hammer

All disclaimers apply ... you know the drill, people!

Chapter the Twelth - Missteps

“You thought Shenj-do was a physician?” Willow hooted with laughter where she sat by Tara's bedside. Noticing the furious manner in which Tara was blushing, Willow tried, with difficulty, to modulate her laughter. In the end, she managed to restrict it to the occasional giggle. “He's the cook!”

“So he said,” Tara replied wryly. “But I thought Cooke ...”

Willow broke into renewed peals of laughter. “You thought Cooke was the cook?!!” Realizing the depths of Tara's embarrassment, Willow choked back her guffaws. “Well, fair enough,” she allowed. “Xander made the same mistake when he hired Cooke ... until he tasted the poor boy's first attempt at a stew.”

Leaning forward, Willow continued in a conspiratorial tone of voice. “Personally, I suspect Xander was drunk when he made the decision. But Cooke's a good lad ... even if he isn't all there up on deck, if you catch my meaning.”

“But I do wish that he was,” continued Willow, wiping tears from the corners of her eyes. “Shenj-do, that is. A tame healer on board would definitely come in handy at times.”

“You make a habit of rescuing injured women from slavery then?” Tara shyly joked, a fractional smile on her lips as her flushed cheeks gradually dimmed.

Shaking her head, Willow shrugged. “Nah ... you're my first. But at times, it's a rough business I'm in.” Reaching down, she pulled up the hem of her shirt, revealing an expanse of impressively taunt stomach. Tara surreptitiously gulped, abruptly spellbound by the sight. She found herself wanting to reach out and touch it, caress it, to learn if it was as smooth and warm and inviting as it looked, to feel those supple muscles move beneath her palm as she ...

“Yeah, some piker tried to skewer me a few years back,” Willow explained, utterly oblivious to the effect she was having on Tara. The blonde was forcibly snapped out of her fantasy as her attention was directed to a knot of scar tissue on Willow's right side, a low mound of puckered and shiny flesh. Willow probed thoughtfully at the old wound. “That toff nicked me quite nicely with that rapier of his.”

Shrugging again, Willow dropped her shirt. “Ah well, I'm still alive. The same can't be said for him.” She grinned wickedly.

“You ... you ... killed him?” Tara gasped, the flames of her unexpected ardor extinguished as surely as if they had been pitched over the side of the Wild Rose into the sea.

Willow shook her head. “As I recall, I was busy lying on his deck, bleedin' like a stuck pig, tryin' ta keep my innards where they were supposed ta be. T'was Mockery that did for him. Took his head clean off with one blow, as I recollect. He tends to get a bit protective of me, you see.”

“W..why?” blurted Tara, struggling to understand, confused by the dichotomy of the woman who had risked her own life to save her, and, thus far, been so kind to her, being the same woman who could speak so easily of another human being's violent demise.

“Why?” Willow repeated, clearly confused. “Why what?”

“Why was he trying to kill you?”

Willow's lips curved in an 'O' of surprise. “Ohhh! Well, we were sacking his ship at the time, so it was only fair.”

“But ... but I thought you said you were a smuggler!”

Willow's brow furrowed. “I am ...”

“But you were just talking about committing an act of piracy!”

Shaking her head, Willow scoffed. “No, I was committin' an act of privateering. There's a difference, you see.”

From the expression on her face, it was clear that Tara did not, in fact, see the difference, so Willow settled down to explain it.

“I have a writ from the Crown of the Starfall Isles. What it means is that I can attack, and plunder, any ship sailing under the flag of a foreign power that is currently considered to be enemies of the Crown, and it's all legal like.”

“Oh, so it's legal murder,” Tara tartly snapped. “That's soooo much better!” Even as the words left her mouth, Tara regretted them, slapping her hand over her mouth in shock at her temerity. But the damage was already done.

Eyes suddenly cold as steel, Willow shot upright, knocking the stool she had been sitting on aside. Lips tightly pressed together, compressing into an angry line, she made her farewells with a curt nod. “I've a ship to run. So I will leave you to your moral superiority.”

Turning on her heel, Willow marched out, her back ramrod straight. Yanking the door open, she paused in the exit and looked back. “He was a slaver, you know. Had a hold full of pretty young things like yourself, on their way to market to be sold like cattle. Should I have left them to their fate?”

“Captain ... Willow ... I ....”

Tara's only reply was a slamming door.

Falling back into bed, Tara buried her face in her hands. What have I done?!

Things had seemed to be going so well the past week or so. She and Willow had been finally been nearing a level of comfort in their interactions. They had been meeting more and more frequently as the days passed, and Tara's strength grew. She was still weak though; while Shenj-do appeared satisfied with the improving condition of her feet, he had ordered Tara to remain abed for awhile longer.

So Willow had been coming to Tara, and her visits had been growing noticeably longer every day as the awkwardness between them eased. Not completely though. There was still an undercurrent of tension between them, an undercurrent of emotions restrained and words unspoken.

Tara groaned aloud. And I just called her a murdering pirate ...

Willow stalked above deck with a face like a thundercloud, and a powerful urge to kick something ... or someone. How dare she! she silently ranted to herself. How damn-well dare she! How dare she judge me! That stupid, arrogant little ...

With an effort, Willow fought to curb her temper before she said something she would regret, even if spoken only in the privacy of her own thoughts. The crewmen of the Wild Rose scattered from her path as she strode towards the poop deck, their captain too wrapped up in her own fury to even notice their presence. Her footsteps were heavy as she stamped up the stairs, a staccato pounding set to the beat of her indignation and anger.

Leaning over the poop deck railing, Willow glowered sullenly at the horizon, her grip on the balustrade tightening until her knuckles were white and bloodless. Lips curling, she ground her teeth together.

It was only several minutes later that she registered what lay upon the horizon she was so fixedly staring at. The hazy, but unmistakable haze of land.

Willow whirled around, her eyes darting until they focused on Xander, who was chatting amiably with the sailor manning the helm. “Xander?” she hissed, her voice icy and flat.

He looked up with a dopey grin, apparently not recognizing the danger in his captain's tone. “Yeah Will?”

“What is that on the horizon?” Willow demanded, stabbing an accusing finger at the offending landmass looming in the distance. Xander blinked, still not realizing his peril. Behind Willow, Mockery stumbled to a halt in mid-ascension of the narrow staircase that led from the main deck. He knew the undercurrent of danger in Willow's voice all too well.

“Um ... it's land?” offered Xander, puzzled by the question. From the relative safety of his position outside of Willow's line of sight, Mockery shook his head frantically, flailing his arms in a signal to stop and mouthing the word 'No'. His efforts just left Xander more confused.

“It's ... land ...” Willow echoed, her eyes narrowing. In the background, Mockery's signals grew more frenzied .... to no avail.

“Yeah, Will,” Xander replied, confusion equally evident in both his face and voice. “Kes? You know, our destination?”

“I know what Kes is,” grated Willow. “What I don't know is why I'm only hearing about it now!”

“Huh?”

Mockery threw his hands up in exasperation, and just settled back to watch the inevitable fireworks.

“Unless things have changed drastically without my knowledge, Xander, I'm still the captain of this ship!” Willow spat, and Xander recoiled from the full force of her wrath. “Nothing, I repeat, nothing is supposed to happen on my ship without my knowledge! And yet, we sight land ... how long ago now?”

“An hour or so ...” Xander answered in a small voice.

“An hour? An hour! A full bloody hour passes before anyone deigns to tell the bloody captain about it! Is that what passes for discipline on my ship now?”

“Of course not, Will!” Xander hurried to assure his furious captain. Willow leveled a ferocious glare at her first mate that nearly sent him flipping over the poop deck rail into the open sea. “I mean no sir! Err ... no ma'am!”

Spinning on her heel, Willow turned her back on him and marched back to the rail overlooking the main deck, where she immediately began haranguing her beleaguered crew. Xander sagged and wiped sweat from his brow as Mockery sauntered over to join him.

“What was that all about?” Xander muttered under his breath.

Mockery shrugged. “Buggered if I know. But somethin's jammed a burr in 'er breeches right 'n proper.”

Shuddering, Xander wrapped his arms around himself as if warding off a sudden cold draft. “No kidding. I hate it when she gets all captain-y on me ... it's been years since she's yelled at me like that.” He directed a sullen, hurt glance at his shipmate. “You could'a warned me, ya know.”

Mocker snorted. “What do ya think I was tryin' ta do, ya twat? Practice interpretive dance?”

Xander stuck out his tongue. “Meanie.”

“Fool,” Mockery countered with a genial grin.

“Jerk.”

“Jackass.”

“Thug.”

“Buffoon.”

“Pirate!”

Several moments passed as Mockery regarded Xander with a raised eyebrow. When it became apparent that Mockery wasn't going to deliver a rejoinder, the younger man crowed in triumph. “Hah! I win!”

“Oh, I'm sorry,” drawled Mockery, smirking. “I thought we were insulting each other, not delivering compliments.”

“Oi!” Willow bellowed, cutting Xander off mid-comeback. “Don't you two feckless bastards have any work to do?” There was a dangerous glint in the redhead's eye that proclaimed it would be a bad idea to try her patience right now.

The grins on both mens faces soured, and Mockery elbowed Xander in the ribs. “You distract 'er,” he hissed out of the corner of his mouth, “an' I'll run away.”

“What?!?” blurted Xander, instantly regretting his outburst when Willow's eyes narrowed.

Mockery grinned. “Well, she's already mad at you, ain't she! No point in gettin' my 'ead bitten off as well, is there!”

The island of Kes jutted up from the waves of the Endless Sea like the finger bone of some great, long-dead leviathan. If viewed from above, a vista reserved for the countless flocks of gulls and other seabirds, Kes was a long, thin strip of land, slightly crooked, like a prizefighter's nose.

With significantly less landmass than the other island nations that dotted the Endless Sea, and the smaller population such a fact entailed, Kes was not a great naval power in the Game of Thrones. As one of the closest islands to the mainland, this left the people of Kes, the Keshani, in a precarious position. To avoid the overdue influence of their ever hungry neighbors on the mainland, or indeed, outright annexation, the Keshani chose to walk a dangerous path.

Ruled over by a council of hereditary barons, Kes maintained its independence by playing it's stronger neighbors against each other. A labyrinthine maze of treaties and trade agreements meant that everyone had more to gain by Kes remaining a sovereign power, rather than a client state. If any one country moved against the Keshani, they would earn the ire of at least three others as their own interests were threatened.

It was a knife's edge path to travel, but it was one the barons of Kes had successfully traversed for five centuries.

A beneficial side effect of their scheming was that Kes had become a mercantile nexus for the region. While the great markets and countless warehouses this entailed could not quite match Devastapol for variety, or depravity, they came a close second.

As such, the Wild Rose was a common visitor to the harbors of Kes. Common enough that Willow could not risk the chance that Keshani customs officials might find the hidden cargo they carried for the Arkady syndicate.

It was this reason that saw those chests of stolen jewels offloaded into one of the Wild Rose's longboats, under Mockery's sharp-eyed supervision. With a trio of handpicked sailors, Mockery would bring the longboat in under the cover of darkness, seeking landfall several leagues further down the coast, while Willow and the Wild Rose docked at the main harbor of a small city called Napeth.

By such means, Willow hoped to sneak her highly illegal cargo past the irritatingly competent Keshani authorities, and rendezvous with both it and Mockery several days later. It made Willow slightly fretful to let the cargo she was personally responsible out of her control for such a period. Not that she didn't trust Mockery, but ... Willow hated to surrender control over any facet of her life.

And if this job went pear-shaped .... heads would roll. Including hers.

Some element of her apprehension must have shown on her face though as Mockery was saying his farewells.

“Ah, don't be fretting yerself, cap'n,” he suggested. “T'ain't the first time we've done this, now is it. What could go wrong?”

Willow squeezed her eyes shut. “Don't say that!” she moaned through gritted teeth. “Are you trying to jinx us?”

With a smirk and a jaunty wave, Mockery slipped over the side into the longboat gently rocking on the waves.

Scowling, Willow shouted after him, “You did that on purpose, you bloody bilge rat!” But despite herself, Willow couldn't help a tiny grin breaking out.

For Willow, the next few days passed with excruciating turgidity as her irritation mounted. It wasn't that her days were empty, far from it. There were any number of tasks to complete before the Wild Rose would be able to return to the open sea. Their supplies of food and fresh water needed to be replenished, and their cargo offloaded and delivered to the factor of the merchant for whom they had been transporting it. New cargo had to be secured then for the outbound voyage, for an empty hold would earn them no coin, and Willow's sailors didn't work for free.

There were also a myriad of other small tasks to done as well, ranging from the inconsequential to the vital, and while any of these could have been delegated to Xander, or even one of the more responsible of her men, Willow did them all herself. Driven by a reckless energy and fueled by anxiety, Willow was the inevitably the first to rise each cold, gray morn and last to retire at night.

And not once did she return to her own cabin. If Tara found her past deeds so unspeakably heinous ... well then, Willow would no longer inflict her unwanted presence upon the blonde. It was a hasty decision, one sparked by hurt feelings and injured pride, and Willow regretted it in those few quiet moments when she was left alone with her thoughts. Thoughts in which images of Tara lingered uncomfortably.

Which is why she worked so hard to keep herself busy.

In the end, when it came, Mockery's message that he had arrived at the tavern that was their agreed upon rendezvous, Willow was only too happy to rush to meet him.

The meeting with their contact took place in a deserted drinking hall on the outskirts of the docks district. A two story structure with a slightly decrepit facade that spoke wistfully of long past days of glory. Even still, most every night this drinking hall would be packed to the rafters with sad-faced dock workers drowning the sorrows of their banal lives in cheap ale and watered down wine. But at mid-morning all those selfsame drinkers were hard at work.

Willow's contact, Ronan, had secured their meeting place with particular ease, given that he secretly owned a majority share of the property. With the manager and what few dedicatedly pathetic bar flies remained unceremoniously banished, the building was all theirs.

Ronan had set up shop at the far end of the hall, behind a ten-foot long trestle table of ale-stained oak, seated behind it like the king of the drunkards holding court. He was a man of average height, but nail thin, with a long, narrow face. He typically wore a blank smile that settled on his features like an ill-fitting coat, and it never, ever, touched his eyes.

His cover was as a semi-prosperous merchant who specialized in fine wines. Whereas some men in a similar situation might have let such a business suffer, given that it was just a facade to disguise the true manner in which he earned his income, Ronan approached it with the same dispassionate financial acumen that made him an excellent fence. Not to mention that he fancied himself something of a wine connoisseur.

Willow and her followers were forced to approach Ronan as if they were supplicants to a royal court, walking down the length of the hall under the watchful gaze of a quartet of brawny bodyguards. It was an intentional move on Ronan's part. In the fence's experience, even such a simple piece of manipulation could put the other party on the back foot.

The architecture of the building lent itself to Ronan's ploy; the second story was little more than a wide balcony encircling the inside of the building where you could drink with some small measure of privacy while still looking down upon the main floor. The high vaulted roof that resulted gave the hall a small measure of grandeur, more than what most of the drunken wastrels who frequented the establishment would ever experience.

The smugglers were used to such blatant chicanery however, and chose to counter it with an aura of cavalier nonchalance. Willow had purposefully added a extra bit of sway to her hips as she strode, and left the throat of her blouse unlaced lower than usual, placing her modest décolletage even more on display than usual. If Ronan wants to play his little games, so will I!

Ronan inclined his head briefly as they arrived at his table. “Captain,” he murmured in greeting.

Rather than return his greeting, Willow flicked her hair back with a toss of her head, the beads woven into her braids rattling fiercely. Settling into a chair placed directly opposite Ronan, she stretched her legs languorously, supple muscles shifting beneath the tight green silk of her breeches.

Willow knew that Ronan's bodyguards were staring at her with open admiration and other ... less polite sentiments in their eyes, but the fence's eyes never flickered. Based on their prior encounters, Willow expected no less ... but it still left her feeling a little miffed. A girl always likes to be noticed ... even if I wouldn't touch a man with a ten-foot pole.

Mockery dropped into the chair beside her with all the grace of a sack of potatoes, munching on a half-eaten apple he'd swiped from one of the other tables as they walked in. A trickle of juice ran down his chin as he gave Ronan an insolent grin and propped his booted feet up on the table.

Ronan's smile tightened slightly, as if a tiny man were turning a crank in the back of the fence's head to stretch his face tighter across his skull. “You have my merchandise, I trust?”

Sighing, Willow gave a tut of disapproval. “But of course, Ronan. Have I ever failed you?”

“No,” Ronan admitted. “But there can always be a first time.”

Willow gave a wave, and the two of her sailors carrying the chest moved forward and deposited it on the table in front of Ronan.

The fence extended his hand. “The key?”

This chest was thoroughly secured by not one, but two separate locks built into the chest itself. Willow had received one of the two keys required to unlock it when the chest had been delivered to the Wild Rose, and now fished her key out from between the valley of her breasts where it had been dangling on a silken cord.

“And my payment?” asked Willow, the key dangling from her fist just outside of Ronan's reach.

Ronan nodded, and one of the bodyguards lumbered forwards to deposit a pair of bulging money pouches on the table in front of Willow. They clinked as they hit the wood, pregnant with coinage. Willow lightly tossed the key to Ronan, but didn't bother to check the money. She'd been dealing with Ronan for long enough that she trusted him not to rip her off ... on this transaction at any rate.

“Pleasure doin' business with ya,” declared Willow as she secreted her pay away inside her vest. She started to rise, but Ronan gestured for her to remain seated.

“A moment of your time, captain?” he requested. “There is another matter of business I would like to talk to you about.”

Willow shrugged, settling back in her seat. “Can't fault the color of your gold, so go ahead.”

“Before we start ...” Lifting one arm, Ronan snapped his fingers. A sad-faced serving wench scurried out from the kitchen with a tray supporting a cluster of goblets and an open wine bottle. She placed a goblet in front of Willow and Mockery, but was waved off when she offered one to Willow's three sailors. The serving girl poured a generous portion of wine into each goblet before scurrying back out of the room.

“Would you care to try my latest find?” Ronan offered. There was a flicker more life than usual in his cold, sharp-edged face as he spoke of his passion. “A drink to celebrate our continuing business association? I assure you, it is quite a pleasant vintage.”

“Why not,” agreed Willow. Holding the goblet up to her nose, Willow took a deep, appreciative sniff, and crooked a eyebrow at Mockery. “Smells a proper drop, that does,” she pronounced, taking a sip.

Mockery was less subtle, taking a deep swig that left a sheen of moisture on his lips. Wiping it clean with his sleeve, he gave a hearty belch.

“Now then, what's this new business proposition, Ronan?” Willow asked, settling back in her seat, goblet in hand.

“Ahh ...” Steepling his fingers in front of his face, Ronan narrowed his eyes. “About that ... I'm afraid that I must bring our partnership to an end. Permanently.”

Willow frowned. “Oh? Why's that?”

Ronan's smile sharpened, and for the first time in Willow's experience, it was echoed in his eyes. “I rather imagine it has something to do with the poison you just drank.”

To be continued ...

Post subject: Re: In the Wake of the Wild Rose - Uber (Updated 13th Jun)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:44 am 
3. Flaming O

Yay dibs, good to see you back with this story, it has been sorely missed! I'm off to read and then I'll be back with a bit of feedback too!

Good update! A bit frustrating to have them nearing eachother and then drift apart again, our dear girls.. It is a tough world they live in, interesting though, how their diffferent methods of surviving are keeping them apart: Willow has had to fight to survive the street and her moral codex reflects this, if it is not her enimy who goes down, it is her and there is so much unfairness out there that you cannot change all of it and you cannot play fair. Tara had to submit, keep her precious rebellion deep inside and act her part. She has not been out there and seen as much as Willow, so in a way she is more innocent, not that her life has in any way been easier or that she has been shielded but she has been hidden away from the world..

I hope that it is not Willow who must come and save Tara, but Tara who realizes her strenght, get's the men organized and gets Willow and her men OUT of there! (I'd like that, Tara in charge of the boat, standing there with her hair free in the wind and a white loose shir, not caring about the seaspray... Hmm... :sigh )

Fly forever free,
Nenyath..

~The Show Must Go On by Queen

Last edited by Nenyath on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:32 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I hope Willow is able to get back to her ship and Tara to save her... They really need to work out their differences...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:56 am 
3. Flaming O

Wha- Yo-
Okay, that cliffhanger left me speechless for a bit there.
Nooo.
Update soon, it's really good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:17 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Mmmmm, poison? That seems kind of ... terminal? How are they going to get out of this. Can't wait to find out.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:13 am 
10. Troll Hammer

I realize I forgot to ETA last time to actually add fb. So sorry, I'll just gush about this update.

Your world is so vivid, and pulls me in with just a few words. The dialogue is gritty and just adds to making me feel part of the seascape on the ship.

I'm so glad Tara has finally gotten better and is even talking to Willow, even if that didn't end so well. But s'ok becuase it led to a really funny scene with Xander. God, I love him and the interaction with Mockery reallly gave us a nice inside to a brand new character. Lotsa fun, thanks.

And well, crap. Poison?! First Tara now Willow. Sheesh. Let's hope that healer on board has some tricks up his sleeve!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:39 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Well, damn. First, it seemed things were starting to move smoothly between Tara and the hot captain with the taut tummy, and then the angst began. Of course.

Now the evil cliffhanger. I knew they shouldn't have drank that stuff. This is so not good. Willow did only take a sip, so that might help, but I'm really worried about good ole Mockery. Man, I can't wait to see what's next. Soon, okay?

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:39 pm 
5. Willowhand

I enjoy immersing myself in this tale comletely. Even if I get sea-sick, I still love a sexy sea-faring lass with beads(!) in her hair. Willow has beads in her hair! Now that's a fic first, I think. Frickin' frackin' awesomeness! The heart thrills!

It was all smooth, uh... sailing before that goblet of evil went and effed shit up. Take me back to the Taralust on the boat that goes along with the revelation of Willow's taut, supple muscles. It's a warm, safe, lovely place to be.

Maybe now that Tara's a bi-ped once more, she'll come to the rescue! Or, at the very least, kiss her tummy. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:31 pm 
3. Flaming O

Man thats bad POISON I can't wait to read what will happened to Willow next

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:33 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
plz make it soon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:24 am 
18. Breast Gal

Ah well, I guess this being a pre-movie-making civilisation you can't blame Willow for not having seen the opening to Temple of Doom: "Antidote to what?" "The poison you just drank, Dr Jones!" That was a great sequence (here, I mean, not the movie - well, the movie was good too) - same kind of feeling, in fact, mistrust and skull-duggery with just a little edge of flair to keep the spirit of adventure going. Willow's a resourceful lass, but this is a nasty situation - caught flat-footed by all appearances, and Ronan's double-cross seems like it may have Faith and Trick behind it, in which case they're probably lurking not far off, making Willow's escape (and Mockery's, if he's fated to make it out of this one) that much more difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:53 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Fabulous update ... I'm loving the plot! :D

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:37 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Paul, welcome back…you and one of my favourite fics! Thanks very much for stopping by to bless us with a lengthy update…although you must stop by more often you hear?
Ah, I’ve missed this fic, the delightful banter of the crew…all those hot Willow and Tara smoochies…well, scratch that last part, there has been no hot smoochies, not yet anyway but it’s still just as enjoyable! Okay, and the reason that there has been no lovin’ is because of lines like this one…
Quote:
“I've a ship to run. So I will leave you to your moral superiority.”

Definitely a need for communication before the sex, still I love their banter…they’re testing out each others waters (and I don’t mean that in a dirty way!), getting to know one another.
I’d just like to say I enjoyed this line for some reason:
Quote:
For Willow, the next few days passed with excruciating turgidity as her irritation mounted.
You have such a way with words!
Quote:
“I rather imagine it has something to do with the poison you just drank.”

Eep, let’s hope Will has pulled a Princess Bride trick and has built up a resistance to the poison! Or this will be the end of any hopes of smoochies!
Thanks very much for the chapter, to quote Dickens, ‘please sir, may I have some more?’

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:04 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Nenyath - G'day Nenyath. Don't expect that frustration to be allieved any time soon ... I'm evil that way. :devil

Now given what Tara's been through in her life, I doubt you could call her innocent in any normal sense of the word. I think it's more that as a slave, she never really had any real control over her actions, so she never had to make any of the hard decisions that Willow has had to, just to survive. It's kind of obscene, but Tara's state of bondage has kept her safe from the big bad world. In some ways, anyway ...

Now everyone seems to want Tara to do the rescuing in this bit. A couple of problems there, if I might point them out. And since I'm going to anyway, too bad if you said no. :p

Tara's still weak, and confined to her bed. I suppose they could mount it on wheels, or carry it on their shoulders, but ... no. Also, she has no fighting experience. If she gets in the thick of it, she'll probably die. Which would be bad, yes? :p

Then there's the little issue that no-one on board the Wild Rose knows that things have gone pear shaped. No, if Willow and co. are going to survive, they'll have to save themselves.

Besides, do you see this incarnation of Willow playing the damsel in distress? :D

Quote:
I'd like that, Tara in charge of the boat, standing there with her hair free in the wind and a white loose shir, not caring about the seaspray... Hmm...

But that is a nice mental image of Tara ... :p

Cheers!

----------

Zampsa1975 - G'day Zampsa!

I'm pretty sure Willow will make it back to her ship. I mean, I can't kill her, can I! I suppose she could forget where her ship is though, if a blow to the head gives her amnesia ... hmmm .... :p

You're giving me ideas ... :devil

Cheers!

----------

KloeFrost - G'day KloeFrost!

Yes, a cliffhanger. I'm a little bit in love with them ... :p

Thanks, and cheers!

----------

spells42 - G'day Anne!

Poison? Terminal? Now wherever did you you get that idea? Honestly, the things people will believe these days ... :p

How are they going to get out of this? By utilizing the power of stand-up comedy, of course! Or, you know, you could read and find out. :D

----------

Zooeys_Bridge - G'day Bridge o'er the River Zooey! :p

Never fear, gushing over any chapter is always welcome. Heck, when isn't gushing welcome? Well ... maybe if you're on a sinking boat, or in the middle of a flood ... :p

In all seriousness though (which isn't too much, in my case :p), thanks for your kind words.

But does that healer on board have some tricks up his sleeve? Well ... he makes a mean fish curry! :devil

Cheers!

----------

wimpy0729 - G'day Wimpy!

Quote:
Well, damn. First, it seemed things were starting to move smoothly between Tara and the hot captain with the taut tummy, and then the angst began. Of course.

Pshaw! To mix metaphors, there is nothing that runs so smoothly that I can't stick a wrench in the gears! :p

Wait, you knew they shouldn't have drunk that poisoned wine? Well then why didn't you tell them not to?! :p

Cheers!

----------

katjetson - G'day katjetson!

Quote:
I enjoy immersing myself in this tale comletely. Even if I get sea-sick

Why thank you! Have some Dramamine! :p

I don't know why I added the beads to Willow's hair. It might possibly be inspired by some of the doodads that Jack Sparrow had in his hair ... :D

Quote:
Maybe now that Tara's a bi-ped once more, she'll come to the rescue! Or, at the very least, kiss her tummy.

Ahh, but she's not a biped yet! She's still on bedrest, and would probably have trouble walking in a straight line, let alone run to the rescue. But tummy kissing ... that doesn't sound so strenuous ... :D

Cheers!

----------

Chummy - G'day Chummy!

Yep, that's bad poison ... er ... did you mean bad-bad, or good-bad? I find it so difficult to keep up with the language of today's young people. :p

Cheers!

----------

Niko - G'day Niko!

Why? Because I'm an evil git. Sorry, can't help myself. :p

Cheers!

----------

Artemis - G'day Chris!

C'mon, isn't imitation supposed to be the greatest form of flattery? :p

Quote:
Willow's a resourceful lass, but this is a nasty situation - caught flat-footed by all appearances, and Ronan's double-cross seems like it may have Faith and Trick behind it, in which case they're probably lurking not far off, making Willow's escape (and Mockery's, if he's fated to make it out of this one) that much more difficult.

I'm glad you added that 'by all appearances' quantifier. You'll find out why soon. But yes, Faith and Trick are behind the double-cross, but they won't be appearing on the scene. Trick is elsewhere, and Faith is still aboard the clockwork submarine.

Cheers!

----------

LittleBit - G'day LittleBit!

Thanks!

Cheers!

----------

Alcy - G'day Alcy!

Trust me, if I could rearrange my life so that I got more writing done, I would. But wouldn't you know it? Life doesn't want to co-operate, the cheeky bugger.

Not only is there a need for more communication before the sex, there's more communication needed before there can be sex! Still trying to decide whether said sex will occur on or off camera though, in the written-word sense of the phrase that is. I think I can guess what your vote would be ... :p

Quote:
Eep, let’s hope Will has pulled a Princess Bride trick and has built up a resistance to the poison! Or this will be the end of any hopes of smoochies!

As you wish ... er, not that I'm telling you I love you. :p That was Wesley's bit. But never fear, there's always hope for smoochies!

Cheers!

----------

And now, dear readers, prepare to buckle that swash! The next chapter awaits!

Cheers,
Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:05 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

All disclaimers apply

Chapter the Thirteenth – The Wages of Treachery.

Tongue lolling grotesquely from the corner of his mouth, Mockery lay stiffly in his seat, rigid as a board, heels drumming frantically against the wooden floorboards. His eyes were rolled back in his head, and a ghastly rattle issued from deep within his chest.

Seated beside him, Willow glanced at her second mate, and rolled her own eyes. “Mockery, stop being such a tit.”

The drumming of his heels stopped immediately, and Mockery slowly straightened. Sighing mournfully, he pouted at his captain. “You never let me have any fun.”

Ronan's eyes darted between the pair, visibly alarmed by the distinct lack of agonized writhing on their part. “What ... you .... what?”

Willow's lips twisted in a cold, cruel little smile. “You've never poisoned anyone before, have you Ronan?”

“Nah,” added Mockery, scratching one armpit. “Toff like our man Ronan 'ere normally has people to do is killin' for 'im.”

Turning her head, Willow nodded sagely. “Ya know, I think you're right, Mock. So he's tried to pop his murder cherry with us. Dunno 'bout you Mock, but I think I feel a little bit honored.”

“Oh, to be sure, cap'n. T'is surely a privilege.”

“Of course, that makes him a novice, so it's not surprising that he tried poison. It's physically easier, ya see.”

Mockery adopted an expression of rapt concentration. “You don't say, cap'n.”

“Oh yes,” Willow confirmed, with a wicked twinkle in her eyes. “But that's the problem with poison; if you don't know what you're doing, you might pick the wrong one to use. Take tamas root, for example. Perfectly respectable poison, fatal within moments of consumption. A painful, messy death.”

Willow smirked. “But the thing is, something about tamas root reacts badly when it's mixed with wine. It gives off this faint, but distinct odor that you just can't miss, if you know what you're looking for.”

“But ... but ... you drank the wine,” Ronan whispered.

“Did we?” asked Mockery, grinning like a predator that had just stumbled upon something weak, helpless and tasty. He upended the goblet that he had earlier taken what appeared to be a hearty drink from. The amount of poisoned wine that splashed onto the floor made a lie of that image, and he took another convincing gulp from the now empty goblet, before crushing it in one hand and tossing it over his shoulder.

“Now, Ronan,” Willow began, her eyes narrowing and one hand brushing against the hilt of her sabre, “Lets have a little chat about why you tried to kill us.”

His face stiffening, Ronan straightened in his seat with icy dignity. “There's a price on your head, woman. Arkady desires your demise.”

“Is that so?” Willow mused. “I wonder why?”

“While I would love to enlighten you, captain, I rather think I'll have you killed instead.” Ronan sneered. Leaping upright, he shouted “NOW!

There was movement on both side of the upper gallery that looked down upon them. Six hard-bitten ruffians rose up, three on either side. Each carried a loaded crossbow, and they all fired as one, unleashing a hail of steel tipped death upon the unsuspecting smugglers below.

Two of Willow's sailors died in that first fusillade, one with a bolt through his neck, the other hit twice, pierced through the stomach and chest. The lone survivor narrowly avoided a similar fate and roared an angry oath as he wrenched loose his cutlass and charged at Ronan's quartet of bodyguards on the ground floor.

Another bolt splintered the floorboards by Willow's left boot, while a fifth passed close enough to Mockery's head to score a line of crimson on his earlobe. Willow and Mockery both hurled themselves over the table Ronan was lurking behind, sending the fence lurching backwards into the wall, eyes wide with alarm.

Grabbing the edge of the table as he hurtled over it, Mockery rolled, using his momentum to flip the table on its side, affording them a modicum of cover. Willow, meanwhile, lashed out with one leg, the tip of her boot driving sharply into the back of Ronan's knee, unceremoniously dumping the fence on his arse.

“Bastard!” she snarled, dragging her sabre clear of its scabbard and leveling the blade at Ronan's throat.

A choking gurgle rang out from behind them, and Mockery chanced a quick glance around the table edge. Willow's surviving crewman had struck down one of Ronan's bodyguards, but the blade of his cutlass had fouled in the dying man's innards. As Mockery watched impotently, the remaining three closed in on the sailor, their own blades rising and falling, making him a red mockery of a human being.

Swearing, Mockery ducked back into safety. Willow glanced at him, a silent question in her eyes, and Mockery shook his head curtly. Slipping a slender dirk from his belt, he lent around the corner and hurled the blade at the nearest of the three bodyguards. Spinning end over end, the dagger thumped into the shoulder of Mockery's target, butt first.

Driven back by another crossbow bolt, Mockery spewed forth a burst of profanity. Despite herself, Willow gave a bark of bitter laughter. “Still haven't got the hang of that knife throwing bit, eh?” she quipped.

“I'm workin' on it!” Mockery insisted defensively.

A second fusillade rained down upon them, and one bolt even penetrated through a weak point between two of the tables planks, a razor edged head sprouting inches from Willow's ear.

“There's no escape for you, you degenerate harlot!” snapped Ronan. All his outburst achieved was to remind the smugglers of his presence, and add Mockery's cutlass to the collection of blades at his throat.

“Call 'er that again,” Mockery hissed, eyes alight with barely caged fury. “I dare ya ...”

Choosing to ignore the insult, Willow prodded the tip of her sabre lightly into the tender flesh of Ronan's gaunt throat. “Why does Arkady want me dead?” she demanded.

Ronan's eyes flickered between the two, and his tongue flickered over lips that were suddenly done dry. “I ...”

With a meaty thunk, a crossbow bolt buried itself to the fletching in Ronan's narrow chest, forever more interrupting whatever he'd been about to say. Head dropping, Ronan looked at the bolt protruding from his torso in disbelief.

“Idiots ...” he breathed irritably, blood trickling from the corner of his lips, before his head slumped to his chest, dead and his secrets gone with him.

Willow and Mockery looked at each other, and shared an obscenity.

With a roar, one of the dead man's surviving bodyguards charged their makeshift shelter, an ugly axe held high. Mockery twisted as the bodyguard cleared the tables edge, and hacked down with his cutlass, the heavy blade shearing off the front half of his attackers foot. The bodyguard's roar became an agonized squeal as he toppled forward, until Mockery's back swing tore out his throat.

“What in the Hells do we do now, cap'n?” bellowed Mockery. “We're sittin' ducks here, just waitin' to git our throats slit!”

Willow's eyes flickered over their immediate surroundings, searching desperately for a flicker of inspiration. She locked onto an iron ring set into the wall just to the side of Ronan's slumped corpse. A sturdy rope was tied to the ring, and Willow followed it up to the roof, where it passed through a pulley and then down to a massive oaken chandelier that hung above the center of the room.

Quickly performing a series of calculations in her head, Willow muttered to herself, “It might just work ...”

“What?” blurted Mockery, confused. “What might work?!”

“Distract them!” Willow ordered, turning to face her second mate.

Mockery groaned. He knew that reckless grin, he recognized that mad twinkle in his captain's eye. “I know I ain't gonna like this ...” he muttered.

Irregardless of whatever doubts he might have been harboring, Mockery took a deep breath and lunged out of cover, sprinting for the nearest length-wise wall of the hall. Skidding into it, he immediately pushed back off it and charged back towards cover, narrowly avoiding the flurry of crossbow bolts punching into the wall.

As he did this, Willow leapt to her feet and seized the rope with one hand. With the other, she swept her sabre down, severing the rope. She was instantly yanked off her feet as the chandelier on the other end plummeted to the ground, sending her hurtling towards the ceiling.

Falling back into cover, Mockery gaped at the sight of his flying companion. “You utterly mad, beautiful girl ....” he gasped.

As she soared skywards, an unforeseen flaw in her plan abruptly presented itself. A massive crossbeam ran across the hall beneath the roof, directly within her path. Lacking enough time to even curse, Willow hammered into the beam, driving the air out of her lungs. It was only by the most desperate of efforts that Willow managed to grab hold of the beam and avoid plummeting back to the floor, but she had to surrender her sword to gravity's keeping to do so. Which left her unarmed and hanging precariously, an easy target for the enemy crossbowmen. The only thing keeping her hide unpunctured was the fact that they had all fired at Mockery moments before, a situation they were working to rectify as they frantically worked the cranks that drew back their bowstrings.

Back on the ground floor, Mockery saw his captain's quandary and emitted a loud roar. Surging to his feet, he abandoned his cutlass to heft the table he had been sheltering behind and charged, holding it before him like a shield. Caught flat-footed by the maneuver, the nearest Arkady thug could only gape as Mockery bore down on him, crashing together like a battering ram against a fortress gate.

The thug was knocked senseless and dashed to the floor, and Mockery overbalanced, falling on top of him and pinning the thug to the floor with the table. The remaining Arkady enforcer lunged at Mockery with his sword, but Mockery rolled to one side, and the thug's blade scored the table surface.

Willow meanwhile, had dragged herself on top of the beam and climbed to her feet in the triangular gap between it and the roof. Extending her arms to either side for balance, Willow moved towards the left balcony as fast as she dared.

Beneath her, Mockery and his opponent clashed, the smuggler having appropriated his fallen opponent's blade. After a quick flurry of slashes and ripostes, Mockery smashed his way through the enforcer's guard and buried his blade in the other man's belly ... where it promptly got stuck. Abandoning the weapon with a blistering curse, Mockery spun on his heel and charged for the stairs leading up to the right balcony.

As Willow drew close to the railing of the balcony, the closest of the three crossbow men jammed a bolt home and raised his weapon. In an act of desperation, Willow bodily hurled herself at him as his fingers closed on the crossbow's trigger lever. In his haste however, the crossbow bolt had been improperly aligned, and when he fired, the bolt jammed and shattered, spraying his face with splinters moments before Willow barreled into him.

On the other side of the hall, a crossbowman stepped out onto the head of the staircase, but Mockery was too close. Lowering his head, the smuggler plowed into his opponent, catching the crossbowman by the legs and flipping him clean over his head. The crossbowman pitched down the stairs with a strangled cry and the muted sound of bones breaking, and lay unnaturally still.

Straddling her opponent's chest, Willow hammered her fist into the bridge of his nose, breaking it and driving the back of his head into the floor. Snatching his ruined crossbow from hands that were either unconscious or at least senseless, Willow slung it at a second crossbowman with all her might. The makeshift weapon caught him in the jaw, spinning him a hundred and eighty degrees with a spurt of blood and loose teeth before he crumpled in a heap.

As Mockery cleared the final step on his side of the hall, a second crossbowman was bringing his weapon up, drawing a bead. Ducking down, the tattooed smuggler grabbed a loose wooden stool, and hurled it. It snapped the crossbowman's head back, and sent him staggering backwards and over the balcony railing.

Willow charged her final opponent, batting the crossbow aside as he tried to bring it to bear on her. She rewarded him with a swift kick in the privates, and drove her knee into the underside of his jaw for good measure when he sagged to his knees.

On the opposite balcony, Mockery turned on his own final opponent with a snarl. His fearsome appearance, combined with what he'd just done to the crossbowman's compatriots, made the thug instinctively flinch, and his hand convulsed on the trigger, burying the bolt in the floorboards at his feet.

Realizing that he'd never get a chance to reload, the thug abandoned his crossbow and went for the dagger sheathed at his hip. The tip had barely cleared the sheath before Mockery was on him, and wrapped the thug's weapon hand with both of his own. In a brutal display of strength, Mockery drove the thug's arm back, spearing his opponent on his own blade.

As the thug's mouth dropped open with shock, the awareness of pain spreading through his eyes like ink through a cup of water, Mockery moved uncomfortably close, close enough that each man's breath fluttered on the other man's cheek. Face to face, he blew the dying man a kiss, then twisted the blade in the wound and ripped it clear. Then he stalked away as the thug fell to his knees, whimpering as he tried futilely to keep his entrails inside.

“Mock?” yelled Willow as she cautiously surveyed the fallen, her chest heaving and her limbs trembling with the aftermath of adrenaline. “Ya still breathin'?”

“No such luck, cap'n,” Mockery called back, clomping back down the staircase with a heavy tread. “You're still stuck with me.”

They met in the center of the hall, sharing a glance around at the carnage surrounding them.

“This is bad,” Willow muttered, retrieving her sabre from where it had fallen.

Mockery grunted. “Could be worse ... it could be raining frogs.”

Willow shuddered, and swatted Mockery in the shoulder. “You pratt. Let's get the hell of here. I need to work out what we're gonna do now.”

To be continued.

Post subject: Re: In the Wake of the Wild Rose - Uber (Updated 20th Sep)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:30 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

DIBS!! After work subsides, I'll return...

http://citychickenfarm.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: In the Wake of the Wild Rose - Uber (Updated 20th Sep)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:28 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for good update-y goodness... Good for Willow to survive the ambush... too bad that Ronan died before he told why Willow and her crew are wanted dead... I hope Tara is safe onboard...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next