The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: So ya wanna post some Fan Fic...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:06 am 
19. Yummy Face

(Mods - If there is a thread like this already on the board, or if this should be in a different forum, please feel free to adjust accordingly. I've posted it here because of the popularity of the forum.)

Hey, Kittens.

I had a longish commute on the train today and that left me time to think since I didn't bring my reading material. Of course, my mind wandered to one of its favorite topics...fan fiction and the Kitten Board.

What I've decided to do is create a thread that is expressly for providing guidelines/tips/suggestions/advice for posting a story on Different Colored Pens.

Now, I know that I am not the end all/be all when it comes to fan fiction writing and/or posting. Far from it, in fact. But, I've been around the board long enough, posted enough, and made enough friends of other writers that I think I have some decent things to say about the subject. And I know there are others out there who have even better things to say than I do. So, I thought this would be a good forum to share ideas.

This would serve as a good reminder for experienced writers and a good source of information for people who have never posted a story on Pens in the past.

I think it can be a very good resource for writers as well -- a good place to ask for ideas or advise about how to post. (NOT ideas about storyline, character, etc. -- that is what Beta Pensis for.)

Please, feel free to add your own ideas/thoughts/suggestions.

• READ THE FAQS: This is probably the best way to ensure that you are following the rules of the board and that you understand how the board operates. The rules are in place for a reason -- whether we agree with a particular rule or not. If we want to be members of this community, we have to follow the rules. That's pretty simple. [br]
  • GET A BETA READER: How important is this? Oh so important! I have yet to meet or find a person with absolutely perfect spelling and grammatical skills. It is always a good idea to have someone take a look at what you've written before you post so make sure that you haven't missed any blatant spelling or grammatical errors in your text. We become too accustomed to our own writing. So when we proofread, we skip over mistakes because we are too familiar with it. Our brain passes over the mistake and replaces it with what we intended in the first place. But let someone you trust look over what you've written. Mistakes will stand out to your beta reader. This will only help your writing get better.[br]
  • THINK ABOUT WHAT/HOW YOU'RE WRITING: Take time with your story. Sometimes what comes to our mind as our fingers are flying over they keys or as our pens are flying over the paper is really very good stuff. But, don't think that it's great just because it was easy to write. Often times, the stuff we struggle with is the better writing. Consider your characters, the plotline, the setting. Make sure you're being consistent. [br]
  • CONSIDER YOUR AUDIENCE: Think about who will be reading your story. This is not to say that you should let what others think dictate what or how you write. Oh no. You are the author. You determine how your story will play out. But, also think about what you are writing. Is it angsty? Is it very graphic -- either sexually or violently? Does it deal with potentially disturbing issues? That's fine. It's your story. But remember to give your readers some warning in author's notes.[br]
  • PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR FORMATTING: It's difficult to read a chapter of a story when there are no line breaks between paragraphs. Everything runs together and it starts to look like a page of words rather than a well constructed update. Watch how you're using bbcodes -- check to make sure you've coded correctly; look at the bbcode FAQ page to make sure you're using them correctly; don't use them randomly (seeing an entire chapter centered makes it difficult to read).[br]
  • WHEN IN DOUBT, ASK A MOD: The moderators on this board are very helpful. Don't hesistate to ask them a question if you are unsure of the meaning of an FAQ or whether or not what you've written violates an FAQ. They'll respond. They'll let you know. They're good that way.

What this all comes down to...take responsibility for your writing.

Very few of us do this for a living -- I know I don't make money for writing. Instead, we do it because it gives us pleasure or a sense of accomplishment. But just because it's not our livelihood, doesn't mean we shouldn't own up to what we're doing and have some pride in our writing.

These are just my thoughts. You're free to agree or disagree. You're more than welcome to discuss what I've written and/or provide your own thoughts. In fact, I encourage the discussion. (Please, let's all just remember to be respectful of others' opinions.)

So, who has something to say? Who has something to ask? Let's get the party...err...discussion started.

Carleen

Frivolous Views

Post subject: Re: So ya wanna post some fan fic...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:03 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

That's some really sound advice, Carleen!

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:10 am 
3. Flaming O

Location: Somewhere in my head, but I haven't figured out where yet.
Hey Carleen,

I agree 100% on everything you say, even thought I haven't followed it a lot because I'm either really lazy or I don't have time. I try to follow everything, and I know my writing has improved since I've been on here. The one thing I do emphasize on yours is the FORMATTING. I totally agree with this (not that I don't agree with everything else).

There are a lot of good stories on here, but they are really hard to read because of this problem. I think BETA'S can really help this problem also, so anyone that thinks your story's format is kinda different, my advice is get a BETA, which I'm still trying to find one for my spelling, if anyone wants to volunteer.

Other than that I back Carleen up on everything else as well. Good advice, Carleen.

Ariel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:32 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
I can't agree more about reading the faqs and of course there's the usual spellcheck, grammar check and fact check. Good topic, Car. I'll add some of my thoughts and experience here.

I feel strongly that members should not start a new fic thread until they have been around for a little while and gotten to know the culture of this board and the soft side of how things work here. Leave feedback, participate in the games over on the Kitten, just get a feel of the community. A few of you may have heard me opine that there should be technical restrictions, like a member can't start a new thread until she has made a certain number of posts (say 5 or 10) or a certain time after they joined (say 1-2 weeks). Perhaps this comes across as harsh, but it's common sense ... you want to stay here a while, we want you to stay here a while, but get to know us a little first.

I've been thinking about the difference between "good" and "bad" fanfic. The truth is, there is no "good" or "bad" -- each reader will decide for herself which fics they follow or not follow. While I'd all like to read all the fics on here, there simply isn't enough hours of the day to do so.

What lures me back to a fic? And why is it that I stop reading others? Here's my personal opinion. I read a fic because I find it interesting, it isn't full of errors and the story seems to be heading somewhere. Additionally, no matter how brilliant it is, I'll stop reading if I find it physically difficult to read. By this I mean single line breaks, no capitalization or bad punctuation. Now I'll freely admit that my punctuation isn't great, which is why I'm ever so grateful to my beta. And this brings me to my next point ... use a beta. Your beta doesn't have to be someone who looks over your story with a fine toothcomb; if you're not comfortable having your writing analyzed and dissected, just ask a friend to give it quick read, to make sure there are no glaring mistakes.

Think I veered off topic here. The discussion is "so you wanna post some fanfic..." And yes, I wanna post some fanfic. How do I go about getting my fic posted?

1. Outline

No hard and fast rule. Longer fics I usually outline, if only so I know where I'm going and I know how it'll end. I also try to keep notes as I go along, so I don't do a massive boo-boo in continuity. It's even more important in a non-canon fic. If I have Anya as the owner of a shop, I don't want her to all of a sudden become a professional softball player.

2. Post schedule

I've been burnt, because I started posting a fic, and now it's only a few chapters in and I haven't been able to work on it for many many months. People have been asking me for updates and I can't deliver. :paranoid I'm making a disciplined effort to almost finish a fic before I start posting. It's difficult, because there is so much pleasure when I post an update, to see the view counter creep up, and to excitedly read the replies from the readers.

It's up to individual writers of course. By all means post as and when you have a chapter finished, but don't feel pressurized or guilty if you have a few chapters saved up in case you get writer's block or you have less time because of RL commitments.

3. Write your story

It is your story. Sometimes there is a compelling reason why you write a story -- to get some feelings off your chest, you get hit by a miraculously inspired moment, or it simply begged to be written. Sometimes you labor long and hard but you only get 100 words. Don't give up. Write your story. But think about why you are writing it and what you want your readers to get out of it. Entertainment / fluff / comedy has the same place on this board as angst and other emotionally wrenching stories. The readers on Pens are astute and well informed. They will know, if you've put a lot of effort into your work, they will know and appreciate it. Conversely, if you hadn't taken care in your plot or the oft mentioned formatting and spelling, it will show and yes it will put people off. Expect to receive the type of reaction from the readers as the effort you put in.

4. Give and take

When I first heard about Pens, I was puzzled as to why it was so popular. I couldn't understand then why anyone would want to trawl through post after post of comments that seem to interrupt the flow of the story. I was used to reading a story where a chapter follows another.

Of course that changed big time the first time I got feedback. :lol Wow. What a rush. I couldn't get enough, it was great. Someone was reading my story! There was discussion on what I wrote, and speculation on what will happen next! I felt vindicated, like I was welcomed.

As a reader, please give feedback, no matter how brief. An internet forum can be faceless, feedback makes it less impersonal. Some readers are more verbose in their feedback, but don't get intimidated. Say what you feel. Just a "I read your story and I liked it" tells the writer a lot.

As a writer, I try to reply to everyone who left me feedback. (Yes, I've been guilty of not replying too, but I try.) The cycle of feedback and reply is how I made some great friends here, and I've been lucky to have interacted with some really awesome people through this process.

5. Enjoy yourself

Writing and posting shouldn't be a big chore. We get enough crap from school or work or the people around us. This is supposed to be fun. Be a part of the community and it will be.

Another thought is that writing need not be a solitary hobby. Yes, the majority of us write alone, and it's one of the reasons why we do it. There are other forms of writing too. As we have proved with Elemental, Fruitcake and now WTTV, writing in a collaborative setting is both fun and educational. I can't describe how my writing has improved since I got together with the group on our projects. Not to mention the social aspects too. :p Get togthether with some friends, brainstorm and talk about fics.

Oops, long post and I'm not sure if I made any sense at all.
[br]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:34 am 
19. Yummy Face

I sometimes think there should be some sort of screening process for fics about what's an appropriate thing to write and what isn't. For example, sex scenes, how true the characters are to themselves, or perhaps what setting they are surrounded in.

I remember once being angry about how somebody had portrayed Willow & Tara.

But then, I suppose, if there was a screening process it'd be a little fastidious and less people would be inclined to post their stories. :blush

Watson:
Quote:
I've been burnt, because I started posting a fic, and now it's only a few chapters in and I haven't been able to work on it for many many months. People have been asking me for updates and I can't deliver.

Yes, prospective writers really did need to be warned about that. :p Wouldn't want the same thing to happen again, lady!

And also, I don't have a beta. It makes me feel naughty! :grin.... but seriously, I don't have time for one. I post my fic's as is, perhaps it shows, but sometimes... I feel preassured to have one. A good story can outshine bad grammer, although I'm not saying that applies to mine.

Oh and sometimes, worrying about having correct grammer/spelling ect can hinder the creative process. Maybe write the story then go back and correct it.

Oops, I babbled.

"Who gets the toaster for that one?"

Last edited by Auburn on Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:45 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
I will come back later and post more meaningful (or at least well-thought out) points. In the meantime, Watson mentioned leaving feedback and responding to feedback. There is a fantastic buried thread on The Art of Leaving Feedback. I highly recommend that thread to every new member of the board whether you intend to post any fan fic or just respond to it or even don't think you want to post at all. Maybe you'll read it and think, "i like lurking but no one agrees with my thoughts. Maybe I can offer something original to this discussion."

But to the topic of writing. I recommend the following (in addition to what the others have already said).

1. Have a plan. It's nice and fun to have an idea of how W/T meet or even meet and get together, but how will the story end? Will they spend the night together and you write "The End"? That's great if that's your plan. Or will they struggle to get together and then the thread will fade to lower and lower on the page and then to page 2, 3, 4...? Plan an ending and work in both directions front to back and back to front.

2. Watty is right; RL happens. In your disclaimers and notes, give an indication of how often you will post and if you expect to maintain this pace. If/when it changes, let your readers know. It's not required but it's greatly appreciated.

3. Have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:01 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Topics: 5
Nice topic, agree with everything so far *S*

Just a few more:

1) Don't post a part after you just wrote it. Don't post a part after your beta reader just returned it. Always try to come back to it at least a day after you read it, then you are looking at it fresh and you don't miss the mistakes because of what you "expect" to be there.

2) Know where your going. It might change en route, the journey certainly will, but always know where your end point is before you start.

3) Especially agree with the above about feedback. ALWAYS acknowledge feedback. I know how I feel about it, I assume others do. If people bother to praise you, or suggest things, acknowledge it. If they ask questions - answer them (as much as you can without revealing plot.) That way they'll come back and feel part of the process. They'll invest.

All of the above is IMHO of course *S*

EDITED - cos I didn't read the subject properly!

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*
-------------------------

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:06 pm 
5. Willowhand

This is willohand. I think all you said is true. Especially the part about knowing who your writing for. Anyhoo continue to add your thoughts everybody. And keep writing and reading all your favorite fics and leave replies. We authors love feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:17 pm 
3. Flaming O

Good idea for a thread and I totally agree with the comments concerning knowing where your story will end and more importantly setting and following a realistic update schedule.

I have posted and completed a fic on these boards but I gave myself a couple of months of nightmares because I was posting chapters as I was finishing them and so I felt constantly as though I was in arrears with the story. The pressure made the writing of the story less fun than it should have been and the rush ultimately had a negatove effect on the finished story.

I am writing another story but on this occasion I won't be posting until it is either complete or at least at a point where I know that I can and will finish it to my own satisfaction.

Bargaining

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:58 pm 
19. Yummy Face

You know, I just thought of something that I used to tell my students when it came time for them to write their papers...

Read what you've written OUT LOUD. Or, have a friend read it to you OUT LOUD. If you come across something that doesn't make sense to you...and YOU wrote it...it sure won't make sense to your readers.

This is something that I do. And I know that watty does it as well when she betas my work. It's very handy.

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:46 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Carleen wrote:
This is something that I do. And I know that watty does it as well when she betas my work. It's very handy.

I can picture it now!

"Let's see now, 'Tara lounged under the tree; a slight breeze stirred.' Pip pip, what's that funny-looking punctuation mark? Just change that bugger to a comma, that's the stuff. 'Would Willow forgive her for the awful things she said eight years ago?' Very nice use of the interrogative case, Carleen old bean, that'll get those readers wondering. 'And would Willow be thrilled that she had found a way to magickally impregnante herself with the redhead's child?' Oh bother, too much of a plot jump. I'll just make myself a new pot of PG Tips and get out my blue pen. This story will be crackers in no time. God save the Queen!"

Last edited by FineyMcFine on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:01 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

You just have this thing for a British accent don't you, Sally. THREE WEEKS. Just you wait. [/Eliza Doolittle voice]

Okay, topic. Let's talk about accents and regional variation. We have many writers who are not American; or even where English isn't their first language. This is the first time I'll admit it, but English isn't the language I was born with either, though I think and dream in English now. Anyway, while I enjoy fics that are set somewhere else other than Southern California (someone mentioned that we should work on one set at Hogwarts IIRC), if you are writing canon, or setting the fic in the US, please watch out for the differences in word usages. I don't mind British / Australian / Canadian spelling in these fics, but reading about car boots, flatmates and having one of them say "cor blimey" in anything other than in jest ... doesn't fit.

If English isn't your first language, my admiration for writing and posting. Regardless of your normal language, remember that dictionary.com and thesaurus.com are great tools. Honestly if either of those websites are down, I won't be able to write, I have theasaurus.com open in the tab next to the window where I'm writing, it's that important to me.
[br]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:59 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
OT but...

Quote:
Pip pip, what's that funny-looking punctuation mark? Just change that bugger to a comma, that's the stuff.

LOL!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:10 am 
10. Troll Hammer

I dunno; personally I like semi-colons:-).

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:24 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

One detail that is rarely mentioned would be to save your story BEFORE you post it on the Kitten. How many writers have said they had a great update ready, only to have the vagaries of the web 'eat' their efforts and return nothing? If you have a text editor, Microsoft Word or any other word processor program, save your hard work! It's a win-win for everyone.

More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly. Woody Allen (1935 - )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:31 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Sally tripe-dog dared me and wrote:
"Let's see now, 'Tara lounged under the tree; a slight breeze stirred.' Pip pip, what's that funny-looking punctuation mark? Just change that bugger to a comma, that's the stuff. 'Would Willow forgive her for the awful things she said eight years ago?' Very nice use of the interrogative case, Carleen old bean, that'll get those readers wondering. 'And would Willow be thrilled that she had found a way to magickally impregnante herself with the redhead's child?' Oh bother, too much of a plot jump. I'll just make myself a new pot of PG Tips and get out my blue pen. This story will be crackers in no time. God save the Queen!"

Dare accepted.
[br]

Last edited by watty on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:35 am 
10. Troll Hammer

*looks up* never say that watty shies away from a dare :lmao

i have never wriiten a fic myself, but if ever i do, this thread, along with Beta Pens, will definitely be a helpful tool for me... thanks ms car for this thread and the contributors!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:50 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

I'm a reader, not a writer... but I toy with the idea that sometime I might just be game enough to give it a try. So this thread seems like it'll be helpful and interesting.

I agree with the majority of the above comments, in particular the advice to spell check, grammar check, etc ..... Although I've persevered with reading some fics with appalling errors, including misuse of words (my pet peeve), they've usually had intriguing story lines which overcomes my difficulty and distaste .... for a time. I also am conscious that for many writers English is not their first language, (and they have my great admiration), so I try to give the story a fair go. But, to me, it's sad when a story which might have been great is spoiled by a lack of polishing or finishing off.

The Kitten Board already has a framework within which stories must be written - one which doesn't restrict creativity, just encourages a collection of stories where Tara doesn't die (permanently). One of the things I love about fanfiction is the diversity of ideas for plots, settings, character development and interaction. If I come across a story I don't like, I don't read it.... I would be sad to see any form of censorship in this forum.

Feedback: Like Watson I was slow to appreciate the format of story instalment followed by feedback comments. I cursed the (sometimes pages) of feedback I had to search thru to be sure I didn't miss the next instalment, but I began to read some of the comments and was drawn in by the insight, humour and personalities evident. Now? Well the KB is my favourite fanfiction forum because of the sense of community I get from reading the feedback and making my small contributions, plus, of course, the great authors, and their replies to the feedback. Yes, both add huge value to the whole experience.

I think this thread is a good idea.. in a small way it makes the experience of the collaborative writing like Elemental or the current WTTV available to any writer. Those stories are proof that collaboration can really lift a writer's work. (erm... you guys know I mean that you excelled, right?) Maybe it should go in the Beta Pens forum tho', since it is more 'workshoppy' than actual fiction??

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:28 am 
5. Willowhand

TemperedCynic said:

Quote:
One detail that is rarely mentioned would be to save your story BEFORE you post it on the Kitten. How many writers have said they had a great update ready, only to have the vagaries of the web 'eat' their efforts and return nothing? If you have a text editor, Microsoft Word or any other word processor program, save your hard work! It's a win-win for everyone

And another great suggestion I have to elaborate on this is-Don't just save your stories/updates to your computer, back them up! By that I mean, save stories to a disk, or a separate hard drive, that way if your computer dies more often then Buffy, you don't lose EVERYTHING.

I've experienced the heartbreak of computer crashes :crash (why else would the board even have this emoticon?), and I know that I'm not the only one on this board...

:kgeek

"The Hammer is my Penis," Captain Hammer, 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog.'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:43 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

I was posting a reply to this thread today and had been logged out, I guess, due to inactivity, because I started the reply at one point and then hours went by before I finished it and hit submit. So I wrote this long thing and then hit submit but I had been logged out and the text was not in my browser history - so I lost it.

The ironic part was that I had started off saying "Yes, back up your work! I backed up my hard drive on a zip drive and then also backed up most things by sending documents to myself (or others) through Gmail. Gmail is great because all email is archived so you have it forever, if you have sent an attachment or text to yourself or anyone else. I have a lot of Gmail invites and if anyone wants one send me a PM and your e-mail address and I will send you an invite code."

But I lost the post! Heh. Sometimes I copy the text of the post before hitting submit in case anything happens, but I didn't do it that time.

Anyway, I always always write drafts of updates in a word processing program because I do rewrites and such and of course my beta needs to have several looks at it.

Two other things too:

1. DaddyCatALSO - I too like semicolons, I was just poking a little fun at watty, who seems to fear them with pathological intensity.

2. Who is the real Brit? Because the way I heard it, this was watty, not what she posted before.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:56 am 
2. Floating Rose

I want to read fan fic that doesn’t drive me nuts!

Experienced writers on Pens will know that what I am about to say is what they already know, and they will tell me I am preaching to the converted with this post. I accept those comments without argument.

That is why I have intentionally chosen to focus my response to this thread specifically at NEW writers who are yet to post, and to those that are just starting to find their feet on Pens; wading through the processes of finding out what helps make a good fic even better, so to speak.

Off the top of my head, these are the first things about reading fics that bug me, and stop me from continued following of their development:

Poor grammar:
Would you read a novel written in text formatting, rather than it being grammatically correct? If you answered yes, you are amongst the few readers on the Kitten Board who will continue to read your work. Feel free to use your preferred form of short hand (like sms etc) in your notes or rough draft, but don’t post them as a part of your ‘finished’ writing.

A lack of paragraphs, no capitals; no commas (or semi colons!), or even any full stops make reading very difficult. Paragraphs, punctuation, and some sort of structure make the reading of your work much easier.

Poor formatting:
Would you read a book with writing aligned to the right, or the centre of a page, rather than to the left?
Why not?

Readers will have more respect for a writer who takes the time to format a story for easy reading, than for the writer who appears too lazy, or in too much of a hurry, to bother doing it properly.

Inaccurate facts (whether it’s a canon fic, or using historical/location information):
Would you continue to read a story that lists factual inaccuracies, when you yourself know the details are wrong? If you are writing on a topic that others are likely to know something about, get the facts right (or at least fudge the details so readers will still think ‘it might be true’; or, ‘it might happen like that’).

There are other little things that will irk individual readers, and writers will never be able to please all readers all of the time.

As a reader, I want to read a story just for the pure enjoyment of reading it. I don’t want to feel like I have to analyse a story to understand what it is a writer is really trying to say.

Several previous posts have made comments that touched on why a beta should be considered before posting, but how many NEW writers even KNOW what a beta is, or why they should consider using one?

No one has actually said what it is a beta can be used for. Let me try to clarify:

A beta is the person writers turn to for advice/suggestions or clarification. Some writers want grammar/spelling checked; some writers want timeline continuity to be addressed; or the use of present & past tense followed up on; some want characterization advice, and other writers may want plot & story flow help. This is what a beta does. We are there with encouragement in the planning & plotting of your fic; we are there for when unexpected hiccups happen – and they will happen - (both in your fic and in Real Life), and, we help keep you on track when the flow is interrupted. Best of all, we are there for you with free therapy for your Willow & Tara addiction when no one else will listen to you without thinking you are going crazy! A beta looks at and addresses any issues one-on-one with a writer, before your work is posted for everyone else to see.

Individual writers may want some, or all of this help, from a beta.

As one of the many beta’s here on the Kitten Board, I KNOW how hard it is for ANY writer to pass their writing over to someone else to read. In some cases, the ‘someone’ is a stranger you have just made contact with here on the Board. While you hope for praise, you know you are putting it all out there with the fear that someone is going to tell you that it might not be any good. You know your pride and joy is about to be dissected.

Writers need to remember that it is YOUR writing. It is YOUR story, and YOU get to tell it in the way YOU want to tell it. Most importantly, YOU get to decide how to make use of the guidance the beta you work with offers you, only if you want to use it.

Communicate and be honest with your beta about what you want from them, and they should give you what you need to help you continue writing. Writing fan fic is fun. It should remain fun for you.

If you don’t like the help the beta gives you, trade ‘em in! Get yourself another beta, before you decide its better for you to stop writing.

I, for one, want all writers to feel their writing has a place on this Board, even if I personally would choose not to read it.

Whether you are a writer; a reader who leaves feedback; or just a lurker who enjoys all that the Kitten Board has to offer, please know that there is a place for everyone to find a home here.

I have made some great friends on this Board, and while we may not always agree on specifics, I’m more than happy to discuss semantics with my new extended long distance family here… Join in wherever you can.

Rachel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:41 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I've tried my hand (or rather keys) to write interesting fic. Some readers do not like the way I lead my stories in and all but everyone has different ideas. As long as the ideas are original, well thought out, and someone is able to make heads or tails of what the author is getting at then the story should be great. Oh yeah and the beta thing too. I know I've made plenty of mistakes and such but I try to catch them when I can. When writing fic, I always use Microsoft Word. It helps with the spelling boo boo's and the incomplete sentences and such. Very helpful!

Anyone who has ideas should put them down. Jot them down on paper, make a list or whatever. Think about where the story could lead and follow your heart. When you put all you can into a story and not just fly through it just to put a bunch of words down and use your imagination (God do I sound like someone from Sesame Street) the story will more or less write itself. Good luck to anyone who tries their best!

:kgeek

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:05 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 4
xxx

B

Last edited by binky on Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:44 pm 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

I'm so sorry, my post will be way off topic but I just wanted to giggle publically at Watty and Sally's attempts at English accents.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Why do we always end up sounding Australian when Americans try to "do" us? If I had the faintest idea how to record anything on this confounded machine, I would let you hear a proper posh British accent. :-D

On topic: I don't write anymore, I read. But I find that bad spelling and/or grammar takes me right back out of the story again, distracting me and sometimes confusing me into a reality that I had escaped from just moments before. I know that good beta's are hard to come by, and if writers can't find one, or don't want one, can I suggest that they please, please check the spellings of similar-sounding words before posting? Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:27 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Totally off-topic but I feel compelled to reply.
Candleshoe wrote:
I'm so sorry, my post will be way off topic but I just wanted to giggle publically at Watty and Sally's attempts at English accents.

it was supposed to be an OTT rendition, more like a reading -- I don't normally sound like that (do I? RKT group?). Cos last I looked, my passport is maroon rather than blue and ... there's the whole "grew up in London" business. May be I hang out with the Americans too much.

Topic: I think that despite what many people say about beta's it is very much the individual writer's choice. Some readers don't mind spelling / grammatical errors or squashed formatting ... but some don't and you're at risk of losing the latter group.
[br]

Last edited by watty on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:08 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Candleshoe wrote:
Why do we always end up sounding Australian when Americans try to "do" us?

Maybe you go out of your minds with the power of the experience? Oh, wrong sense of the phrase "do us".

Seriously, I wonder if it's because the Australian accent has more, what's the word, extreme variations on certain sounds and syllables. When doing an OTT fake accent it's easy to over-dramatize. But Candleshoe, if you'd like to show us a proper posh British accent, go to the Start menu, Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Sound Recorder and you can record a sound file if your computer has a built-in microphone. Then you can either upload it somewhere or email it to someone who can upload it for you.

Topic: I'm off-topic, and likely to remain that way. Alas.

Last edited by FineyMcFine on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:39 am 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

Sorry Watty, didn't mean to offend :blush . Accents are funny things aren't they? They pick up bits of the surrounding sounds, and constantly evolve...

Am sorely tempted to play with the microphone for you...

That sounded more tech-y and less porn-y in my head.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:39 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Jesus! Sally, Watty, Shoey, you crack me up! up, i say! :rofl :lmao

"When you get excited about something, one might imagine you as a small, maniacally grinning rubber ball, which someone throws at the wall in an enclosed room, and goes bouncing off every surface for about 15 minutes."
- Mudrat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:05 am 
28. Com...plete

1.) Don't allow yourself to be so distracted by the sexiness of Tara and Willow that you sex yourself into a corner and can't figure out where the plot went (no matter how much the kittens may like it)

2.)Stop reading all that fic written by the lovely kittens on the other side of the pond...wonderful or not, all that Brit syntax and vocab is bound to mess with the writing center of your already pre-messed wee american head...
(I keep finding myself using Euro sentence structure and wanting to use words like bloody and add U's after the O's in certain words)

3.)Don't have Fibromyalgia or your brain will periodically turn into a large Swiss cheeese or some other item with lots of holes in it (Dubya's version of the truth, perhaps or Mutant Enema's excuses for why Tara had to die and it wasn't the cliche even though it is one of the purest forms of the cliche I have seen in some time) and all the good plot ideas you had in the first place will go on walkabout perhaps never to return or at least not when you want them to...and good story ideas will only come to you in the shower or other places inconvenient for the jotting down of random things (and yes, I am in swiss cheese mode at the moment, thanks for asking)

:kgeek babble babble babble...................

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:04 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey all,

Still reasonably new to the boards, both for regular posting and fic posting but adding my bit anyway!

I have to say, as a beta reader that I fully agree with all the points made.

Dont try and write just because your fans want an update, if you're not in the mood to do it then dont force an undate for updates sake.... You wont be thanked in the end. Write in your own time... if your own time is 3am and you have the luxury of being able to write then, then go ahead! Woohoo.

While I agree with all these points, I dont actually put any of them to use! I mean, Willow Watcher does have a look over my stuff before I post but thats about it.

I usually have one idea, or one mental picture of a scene and then go from there! I never have a plot, never have a clue and never write anything down!
I did all that once and the fic was totally awful!! I just can't write that way but thats my personal way of going.

Apparently one of my best fics was written with the one mental picture of Amber in the bar in Latter Days and that was it!!!!

Im sure I had other things I wanted to say but my lil bro is watching That 70s Show really loudly next to me and I've totally forgotten!

Every time a fanfic earns a comment, a Beta gets her wings!