The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Menorah Tales - Update 12/15
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:53 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Title – Menorah Tales – Part 2

Author – JustSkipIt

Pairing – T/W

Feedback – Darn Tootin!

Spoilers – None

Rating – G again.

Disclaimer – Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy own Willow and Tara and the Buffyverse.

Spoilers – None that I can think of.

Note – This story is a sequel to Friendly Friends

Note 2 – I’ve got two updates written but future updates may be slow coming. Try to be patient…

About a year later

Willow fluffed the pillows on her bed again and then went over to the desk to straighten her desk pad. She used her fingers to ensure that the pad was perfectly centered on her desk, that her notebooks were stacked from largest (on bottom) to smallest (on top), and that her 8 different colored pens were just up-desk of the notebooks and arranged according to the color spectrum, red on one end, violet on the other. Then she crossed to the window and looked out onto the street. No cars were coming and she looked at the time again. 6:42. It wasn’t like she was late, like they were late. The movie didn’t even start until 7:35.

It was just that she hadn’t seen Tara, hadn’t seen Faith and Tara she corrected herself, since yesterday afternoon. Yes, the Sabbath was a time for family and rest but it was 57 minutes past sundown so the day of rest was over and she still hadn’t seen Tara today. She looked around the room once again then went into the bathroom to wash her face. She thought she’d seen a blemish, heck a zit, earlier in the day and hoped it was gone now. After a good scrubbing she went back into her room and looked out the window again. Seeing headlights, she picked up her jacket and exited her room, being sure to pull the door closed.

“Your friends are here,” Willow’s mother called up the stairs just as the redhead reached the top.

“I saw.” Willow she bounced breathlessly down the stairs.

“Tara’s mom is dropping you off at the movies, right?”

Willow sighed loudly. “Yes, mom.”

“And she picked up Faith?”

Willow rolled her eyes theatrically. “Yes.”

A car horn sounded out front and Willow started to pull open the door. “Your father will pick you up at 9:40 in front of the theater.”

Willow started out the door before stopping and turning back toward her mother. “But we can light the candles when we get back right? Even though it’s totally late?”

“Yes, darling.” Shelia said more to Willow’s back then anything else.

Willow leaned in through Tara’s rolled-down window. “Hi, Mrs. Maclay. Thanks for taking us to the movies.”

“Of course, Willow. Please get in before you freeze.”

Willow quickly opened the door and climbed into the back seat with Faith.

“Hi, Willow,” Tara greeted her friend.

“Yeah, hi, Red.”

“Hi,” Willow answered.

“Did we pick the movie yet?” Faith wanted to know.

A quick discussion between the three girls resulted in their choosing a romantic comedy staring Hugh Grant. Mrs. Maclay pulled over to the curb among the countless other cars similarly disgorging teenagers. “Willow, your father is going to pick you girls up?”

“Yes, ma’am,” the redhead answered respectfully.

“Ok, Tara have a good night.”

Tara walked quickly around the car to place a kiss on her mother’s cheek. “Thanks, Mom.” She started to walk away but instead turned back toward the car. “I love you,” she whispered.

The three girls watched Mrs. Maclay merge into the traffic and drive off with a wave of her hand. “She looks good, T,” Faith said as she patted her friend on the back and they began walking into the theater.

“Yeah, I thought so too,” Willow enthused.

Tara looked at her feet for a moment. “You r-really thought so?”

“Oh yeah, absolutely!” Faith said. “No doubt about it. Is she feeling better?”

“She says so but…,” Tara trailed off as they approached the ticket window, each girl pulling out money to pay for her own ticket.

Once inside the crowded theater and having had their tickets torn in half, Willow looked around. “I need to pee.” Oh that’s smooth. I need to pee? How about ‘excuse me?’

Tara giggled. “Me too.”

“TMI, girls,” Faith said laughingly. “I’ll get the popcorn.” They agreed on the size of popcorn and sharing a large drink before splitting up.

“Are you ok?” Willow asked as she held open the door. She wondered if Tara was worried about her mom or maybe offended that Willow used the word pee. “Do you think we shouldn’t have come?”

Tara saw the worried look on Willow’s face and looked quickly around the bathroom. No one else was inside and she quickly reached out to touch the back of the redhead’s hand. “I’m here with my best f-friends. What could be w-wrong?” She attempted a smile but didn’t really think that the redhead bought it.

The girls emerged from their stalls simultaneously and washed their hands. Just as they were finishing Cordelia and Harmony entered the room. The well-dressed pair didn’t even toss an insult toward their nerdier classmates, insulting them by not even speaking. Willow watched them and looked at Tara to see her half-smile on her face. After looking at each other for a second, both girls started laughing and left the restroom.

They were still laughing as they spotted Faith across the room and walked over to take the drink from her. As they arrived they heard another voice. “Hey, Faith. Hi, Willow, Tara.”

Faith was the first to greet their visitor. “Hi, Jimmy. Hi, Frank. Where’s Cordy and Harmony?”

Willow glanced at Tara to see the blonde starting to laugh again and quickly looked away to keep herself from joining in. They both noticed Faith giving them a strange look but she didn’t say anything.

“So, that was a really great shot you made Wednesday night to win the game,” Jimmy said.

“Thanks. I was in the right place at the right time.” Faith tried to blow off the compliment.

“I wish I’d be in the right place at the right time for 24 points and 7 rebounds,” Frank teased.

“You guys looked good,” Faith disagreed.

As the three ball-players discussed their games from the week, Tara attempted to blend into the floor. She couldn’t play sports to save her life and even though she went to the games to see Faith, she just couldn’t get excited about something as mundane as a basketball game. She smiled as she thought about the best part of every game—Willow sitting next to her carrying on a running commentary. It didn’t matter the subject—the game, her classes, why is the foul line called the foul line?—it seemed Willow could go on and on forever with her questions and theories. It was Tara’s favorite part of high school. Her favorite part of … anything.

“And we’re only on JV,” Jimmy was saying as Tara tuned in to the conversation again.

“Yeah, when was the last time a Freshman made varsity?”

Harmony’s voice interrupted the speculation. “Are you guys ready to go in? We want to get good seats.” Again neither girl graced Faith, Tara, or Willow with so much as a glance.

“Well, we’ll see you around school,” Jimmy said as he took Cordelia’s hand and began walking into the theater.

“Bye. Enjoy your movie,” Frank added.

“That was a s-surprise,” Tara said, nodding her head at the foursome ahead of them, as the three girls started into the theater.

“They’re nice guys,” Faith said, “Is this row ok?” All three girls sat down near the center of the row. “They just have terrible taste in chicks.” She winked and Willow and Tara both laughed.

The movie turned out to be not very good. It was formulaic, predictable, and the acting and writing were downright bad. Actually, Willow decided that it would have had to been quite a bit better to be bad. As it was, terrible was the best rating she could give it. By the end of the movie, she’d assigned it a 4.0 for acting, 3.0 for writing, 3.0 for directing, and 9.0 for atmosphere for an average of 4.75 out of 10. And really, how much credit could you give a movie because every once in a while Tara laughed or smiled at something on screen or because their hands kept brushing together as they reached for popcorn? Faith occupied herself by tossing popcorn toward Cordelia and Harmony, a few rows in front of the former-French Hens.

“You’re going to get us kicked o-out,” Tara whispered.

“How would that be punishment?” Willow joked.

Tara laughed, finally turning to face Willow and give her a full-smile, happy to see Willow return it. “This m-movie is pretty terrible isn’t it?”

Someone behind them shushed them and Willow finally blushed before looking back at the screen.

When the final credits rolled, Faith stood up and stretched. “Well, that sucked. Is Pop coming to get us?”

Willow looked at the watch on her arm as they walked into the lighted lobby. “He’ll be here in about ten minutes.”

“Hey is that new?” Faith grabbed Willow’s arm and lifted the watch for Tara to see.

“W-wow,” Tara said as she looked at the complicated watch.

“I got it last night. It has a built in compass with bearing and cardinal points, time to the 100th of a second, glows in the dark, alarm, stopwatch, and countdown timer. Oh and it’s waterproof.” Willow quickly punched buttons to show off her watch and all its complex functions as she spoke.

“You planning to rob a bank?” Faith teased.

“Maybe she’s going to take up mountain climbing,” Tara joined in.

“Well you know that the brain bowl competition is fierce,” Faith suggested. “Hey there’s Ira.”

“I wish you wouldn’t call him that,” Willow said even as she laughed at their good-natured teasing about her gift. When they arrived at the car, Willow quickly climbed in the front seat and the other two girls climbed in back. “Thanks for picking us up, Dad.” Before she had even stopped speaking, she turned to look at the girls in the back seat. “We’re going to light the candles, ok? Mom said that we could wait until after the movie even though really it should have been like 3 hours ago.”

“Exactly how long ago?” Tara asked.

“What?”

“Come on, Will. You know what time s-sunset was and you know exactly what time it is now,” Tara started.

“Down to the 100th of a second,” Faith added and noticed Willow’s father smiling.

“So how late are the candles g-going to be?”

Willow laughed at her friends’s teasing. “Three hours, 11 minutes give or take a few for pop’s driving.”

“Step on it, Pop,” Faith suggested.

Ira laughed before teasing the girls. “You should all feel lucky that we don’t have that ‘sees you when you’re sleeping, knows when you’re awake…’ rule.”

“Especially Faith,” Tara joked.

“Hey, I scored 24 points Wednesday night,” Faith argues.

“Which would be a real selling point if Santa Claus was a Sunnydale High girls basketball fan.”

Faith reached forward to playfully smack Willow on the arm for her teasing.

Ira pulled the car into the garage and shut off the engine as the girls disembarked. “Thanks for the ride, Mr. Rosenberg,” Tara was the first to say.

“Yeah, thanks.”

Willow led the way into the house. “Hi, Mom. We’re home.”

Sheila met the group in the hallway and then walked back into the dining room where she had set up the menorahs. “Do each of you want to light one?”

“Of course they do,” Willow said as she bounced over to the table. She pulled the center candle from each menorah and handed one to Faith and one to Tara, keeping one for herself. “Since it’s the fourth night, we’ll light four candles. You do this one first, then work this way.” She used her finger to note the correct order for lighting the candles then took the Xeroxed sheets from her father and pointed at the correct blessing.

Tara smiled at Willow as the redhead talked. She just couldn’t help it. Willow showed such enthusiasm for everything. Willow didn’t consider herself religious, yet she seemed to take a great deal of joy and comfort from the rules and rituals of her faith. The first year that they had lit the menorah, Tara hadn’t really understood it. But this year she saw that Willow was trying to share something that was important to her with her friends. Maybe even to share a little of her family with her friends. The blonde grasped Willow’s hand and squeezed lightly before dropping it. She was surprised as Willow looked over her shoulder to smile and then wink at her.

When they recited the blessing over the candles, the five voices sounded true and enthusiastic. Willow was surprised to hear Tara so confidently reciting the blessing but maybe the blonde understood what it meant to her to share this ritual. Willow knew that neither of her friends had either the family support nor the money that she had and she just wanted to share a little of her own with them. She knew it could never make up for what they lacked but it was all she could think to do.

As the year before, Sheila gave each of the three girls bags of chocolate and a ten dollar bill and each again thanked her profusely before heading upstairs.

A short discussion resulted in the girls agreeing to watch Tomb Raider. Faith always lobbied for action adventure movies and anything where Angelina Jolie kicked serious ass was a big hit with her. Willow liked the way Angelina looked throughout the movie and she loved watching Tara watch it. The blonde always seemed very intense, biting her lip and leaning slightly forward toward the TV as if willing the heroine to prevail once again.

“Well, I should get rid of some of the popcorn,” Faith declared as she lay down on her back and began doing crunches.

“Ever the jock,” Willow teased.

“Hey, I’ve got abs of steel.” Faith lifted her T-shirt and patted her stomach while smiling at the other girls.

The ribbing went on for a little while as the three friends teased each other regarding their interest in their own fitness, intellect, singing ability, or whatever else they decided to focus on. They’d been through this exact conversation many times before and would do the same many times in the future.

Once the movies started and Willow skipped the preview chapters, Faith continued her crunches, interspersing stretches into the routine. Tara sat on the edge of Willow’s bed as the redhead leaned back between her legs. “Do you want me to braid your h-hair?”

Willow’s eyes sparkled as she turned around. “Yes. Definitely.” She jumped up and came back with the brush and rubber bands from her bathroom counter and handed them to Tara. “I’ll do yours next?”

Tara nodded and then patted the bedspread on the side of the bed to indicate that Willow should lean against the bed once again. As she brushed the redhead’s hair, she was amazed at how smooth it was. It sent shivers through her sometimes when she felt this whisper soft brush of hair against her fingertips or the back of her hands. I wonder if it feels this good to her when she brushes my hair? Tara knew she was blushing slightly and felt glad that Willow was watching the movie, not stealing glances like she sometimes did.

It took a long, wonderful time to finish Willow’s hair and an even longer one as Willow returned the favor.

Last edited by JustSkipIt on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Menorah Tales
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:06 am 
5. Willowhand

DIBSSSSS!!!!!!!

*runs off to read cackling*

Aaaand I'm back.

Well, I have to apologise to you, JustSkipIt...I have read all your fics, and only feedbacked once or twice. I'm a bit bad when it comes to feedbacking, so I just thought I'd throw in this: even though I don't always feedback, I'm always reading your fics, and loving every line of them!

Now, I am all excited about this one! I loved Friendly Friends, it was so very cute, sweet and shy...and when it ended I sat there going "*insert pout* I wanna read more! What happens? Does this obviously budding relationship get in the way of the extremely close friendship of Faith/Willow/Tara...what happens with Faith's mum, and how does such a strong friendship with Willow and Tara effect Faith and her...Faithness? How does it go with Tara's mum...will Willow's parents start to be all like they were in cannon? Do I think too much?!"

So I am so glad you've decided to expand this! I can't wait to see where you go with it, and to see how you bring two such close friends together in a romantic way (because sometimes, even if there is feelings there, frienships don't work out as relationships...). Just remember I'm always reading and loving it, even when I don't feedback :blush

Hurray for more JustSkipIt fics!

*hugz*
~Gabs

A spirit is a special thing...it can never truly be broken, and never, ever be tamed. The most calmed spirits out there, hold a wild edge to them...for they are the very essence of a person, and every person is capeable of anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:49 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Yippee! More of early-adolescent Willow and Tara :applause You've continued to capture the innocense laced with just a wee something more that comes with the growing knowledge that maybe, just maybe, you want your "friend" to be more than a friend.

Quote:
It was just that she hadn’t seen Tara, hadn’t seen Faith and Tara she corrected herself, since yesterday afternoon. Yes, the Sabbath was a time for family and rest but it was 57 minutes past sundown so the day of rest was over and she still hadn’t seen Tara today.

How many of us remember having the same kind of internal monologue while waiting for our "friend" to arrive?

Great job! Looking forward to more.
Michelle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:08 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

I'm going to second Gabs' "Hurray" as well as her comments on "Friendly friends." I've been horrible at feedback lately, but here I am reading something the day it's posted, instead of much later when it's all talked out.

So... It's very nice to see this continued; we don't often see stories exploring the early teen years of the characters. All three of these characters had, in their own way, serious self-esteem issues in canon. The changes you've made and the way you've brought them together here seem to have made those problems less.

Faith is still a tough kid with an alcoholic mom, but her defence of Tara shows her good heart, and her friendship with the two other girls allows her to dream of a better life. Ira & Sheila give her a taste of a healthier family life, and being a star athlete may give her a chance at an education.

Tara is still very shy, and we don't know much about her family life, other than hints at her mother's illness. Her father and brother have not been mentioned (or missed.) Perhaps because she has close friends in these years, she's much more outgoing and confident than in canon.

You've show us more of Willow than the other two, and she's quite a character! A motormouth, full of commentary, questions and theories on any and every subject. Ritualistic, whether it's arranging her desk, or sharing the menorah ritual. Kind and considerate. She seems to have a closer relationship with her parents than in canon, and as with the others, more self-confidence; she joins with Tara in laughing at Cordelia & Co., rather than cringing before them.

I can think of several ways for this story to continue, and I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about it.

Russ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:49 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Woo Hoo, Debra! I'm so glad that you've decided to continue Friendly Friends... it was (and still is) such a sweet tale! And Menorah Tales is turning out to be just as sweet!

The first part with the desk was so funny and so Willow. I could just see her making sure everything was just so. And I have a feeling you weren't reaching too far from reality with that one...is your desk perfectly straightened, dear? :lol

I can't wait for the next update! Woo!

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:02 am 
23. Volumey Text

I really enjoyed Friendly Friends so I'm :bounce and maybe a little bit :party that you're continuing the story.

I liked this continuation of the story. I enjoyed your description of Willow at the beginning. Also they're continuing battle with the Cordelia and Harmony.

Looking forward to seeing more

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:18 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hi Debra - Happy New Year to you and yours!

Can't think of a better way to start 2006 than with a new story from you. I think I've already said that I love it when Faith is a good guy and to have her as best friends with Willow & Tara makes it so much better.

The feelings between Willow & Tara are definitely there but how long is it going to be before they act on them.

Can't wait to read more. :bounce

Caz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:04 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Debra, YAY! I'm so glad that you have another fic I can feedback. Have I ever told you that I love your writing? You have a style that is so easy to read and really reaches out and wraps the reader (me) in. And you put in enough description that we can tell what's going on in the girls' minds without over-telling. Like, I could sense and feel myself Willow's emotions regarding concern for Tara, worry that she had offended her by saying "pee," Tara's excitement about the hair braiding etc.

Also, what a classic thing from so many slumber parties that I attended when I was a teen and even in college also - when a girl I had a crush on would ask to braid my hair I would almost pass out from the tingly sensations, yet I worked hard not to let on. Sigh, the memories...

When you told me that you were planning to write an update for every year of the Menorah Tales, I at first thought you meant you would post one story every year! Heh. SO glad that we didn't have to wait 365 days for this. I can't wait to read the next one, did you say you had two updates ready to go? POST! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:23 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

gabbles – Yay for your dibs not only to this update but to the entire thread. No one can take that away from you. Tee hee. Don’t worry about the feedbacking; I love feedback like most authors but if you’re enjoying the fics and you don’t always post, that’s ok too.

I think that you had good company in wanting a continuation of Friendly Friends and I was part of that company. So here it is. I think most of your questions will be answered. We’ll see what happens in the moving from friendship to relationship… Thanks so much.

mole – Ha ha. Early-adolescent W/T. That’s them. Now in 9th grade and seeing what high school is like. I know what you mean about that “be more than a friend” feeling about your friend. I think a lot of people can really relate. Thanks so much.

russ – Hey, Russ. I’m quite impressed with the quick feedback. There are some people I expected fb from who haven’t checked in yet but I’m going to reply to what’s here. And it’s always an absolute joy when you’re able to post. Perhaps one of the reasons we don’t see much on the early-teen years is that the early-teen years suck. I mean you couldn’t pay me enough to go back. Do you agree? I think all three girls still have some self-esteem issues here but I want them to gain strength from each other and from the adults/mentors in their lives.

Quote:
Faith is still a tough kid with an alcoholic mom, but her defence of Tara shows her good heart, and her friendship with the two other girls allows her to dream of a better life.[/quote[I’ll say it again: “I love Faith.” I think she was seriously maligned in the show and deserved better. That’s what I try to do for her in most of my fics. You’ve hit the possible influences of Ira & Sheila & her sports on the head. More to come on that.

Quote:
Tara is still very shy, and we don't know much about her family life, other than hints at her mother's illness. Her father and brother have not been mentioned (or missed.)
More to come on that in the next update. I think that’s she’s more outgoing here than in canon but keep in mind, she may not be that outgoing with everyone. Perhaps, just W & F.

Lol about Willow’s character. Definitely one of a kind. I agree that the Rosenbergs are better parents than in canon and I plan to continue that. Thanks so much.

Emms – Yes, definitely sweet. That’s kind of the key word I think. My desk is not perfectly straightened right now but it certainly has been. I think everyone who is a neat freak and has waited for someone to arrive has done the straightening and restraightening thing. Thanks.

Justin – Thanks so much. I’m glad that Willow has come through so well in the little we’ve seen of her. I’m aware that Tara is a bit more of a mystery at this point but hope to change that. Thanks.

caz – Happy New Year right back. Could it actually be 2006 already? Seems impossible. I also love the Faith as a good guy and Faith as a friend of Tara’s thing so I’m glad it works for you.
Quote:
The feelings between Willow & Tara are definitely there but how long is it going to be before they act on them.
More to come… (tease)

Thanks.
Sally – Hmmm, you might have mentioned liking my writing. I’m not sure. :grin Thanks for your thoughts about the easy read. That’s definitely one of my goals. I’m glad the hair braiding rings true. For me not so much since my lifetime long hair was pretty much collar length but I’ve always gotten that bonding thing and the touching…

Quote:
When you told me that you were planning to write an update for every year of the Menorah Tales, I at first thought you meant you would post one story every year!
Just so you know, I’m not planning on letting you forget it either. Yes, I have 2 updates ready but I’ll wait a little so it isn’t all done too soon and then you’d have to wait for #4. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:14 pm 
5. Willowhand

Yay! I'm so happy to see that you continued this story. I really liked "Friendly Friends" from the holiday thread. This looks like it's going to be very promising, seeing Willow and Tara go from friends to more than friends. I am settling back to enjoy the story.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:01 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Quote:
Perhaps one of the reasons we don’t see much on the early-teen years is that the early-teen years suck. I mean you couldn’t pay me enough to go back. Do you agree?

I agree 100% -- that's the hardest time of life (so far anyway). Still, it is part of who they are, and so it's good to see it addressed occasionally. While it's true that "all three girls still have some self-esteem issues," they seem so far to be more in the normal range, rather than the destructive levels we saw in the series.

Faith certainly was badly treated in the show, as was Xander. I read a fic elsewhere recently, where an older Faith has some questions for Giles:

"why's a girl who's gone to her protectors -- and a minor, don't forget -- living at the Hot Sheets Spa and Resort? Why is it that the first person to see I need a decent place to live and the occasional real meal is the guy who's planning to eat the entire population of Sunnydale? How do the crazy rogue watchers and the wet work division know how to find me, but the Council can't seem to send me a watcher of my own?"

It's a real pleasure to see the authors here do so much better by these characters.

It's always a joy to be able to post, Debra, and I hope I'll be able to be a regular with this one.

Cheers,
Russ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:31 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Ok, a few responses and then an update.

Willow~Rosenberg – Thanks for the yay. My son is opposed to people saying “yay” but I like it just fine. I agree that it will be promising and I’m glad you’re looking forward to it.

russ – Yes, I think that the girls all have some issues but none of them are moving in a self-destructive direction. Faith’s questions for Giles are certainly good ones. I mean, I get that being a Slayer should be an altruistic thing but it’s kind of like college-level athletics. Student athletes aren’t allowed to work but then the world is amazed and appalled that they are getting suits and cars from alumni. I actually loved the way that the show developed the relationship between the Mayor and Faith. He was the one person who really got her. Sad too.

I hope to see you regularly too.

Title – Menorah Tales – Part 3

Author – JustSkipIt

Pairing – T/W

Feedback – Darn Tootin!

Spoilers – None

Rating – PG?

Disclaimer – Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy own Willow and Tara and the Buffyverse.

Notes – I’d like to thank Candleshoe and binky who answered some legal questions that I posted over on the Beta board. I’ve taken what you’ve said and some liberties. I hope what I’ve written isn’t too egregiously incorrect.

Note – Flashbacks indented, thoughts italicized, dreams indented & italicized.

About a year later

[blockquote]Willow lifted her hand to her cheek, noting the way Tara’s hand seemed to fit so easily and perfectly into her own. It didn’t even seem weird any more. It was just what was so. Their hands, linked, as they should always be. Perhaps as they had always been. Tara’s fingers felt so warm against her cheek and she enjoyed them there before letting their hands drop again to swing between the girls. Tara had a knowing smile on her face and another time, Willow would wonder what it meant.

Now though, all that mattered was Tara’s hand in her own. As one they stopped walking and turned toward the ocean to settle gently onto the sand. Both girls could hear the waves on the beach as they came in, lapped at their toes, and then receded.

Tara sniffed quietly and Willow wondered if her lover was smelling the sun about to peek above the water.

My lover?

The thought didn’t make any sense yet it seemed so true. She looked sideways at the blonde and noted the smile, the happiness seeming to cover her face. It was a look of absolute happiness and contentment. Of knowing what she wanted and where she belonged. Tara turned her head and looked at Willow and then smiled.

“Yes, your lover,” she seemed to say although her lips never moved.

This time Tara opened her lips as she spoke. “The sun is coming up.”

Willow glanced at her wrist, noting the time on her watch. “I know but I don’t want to leave.”

Tara lifted the redhead’s hand to her lips and pressed a kiss to her palm.
[/blockquote]

Willow woke with a start, her breath coming in gasps and gulps. Her hand ached and tingled as she pulled it from under her stomach and started rubbing it to get her blood flowing again. She flexed her fingers as she looked around the room, trying to understand where she was, what the dream meant, anything. She still wasn’t used to the feeling of waking from these dreams even though she’d been having them more and more often. Sometimes she remembered bits or pieces of her dreams--the feeling of soft hair brushing against her cheek or the smell of vanilla—but more frequently it was just the pulsing of her blood in her veins and another strange feeling. She woke needing to go to the bathroom but never went that much when she got up.

An arm dangled over the edge of the bed and she vaguely recalled Faith saying that there was no reason for everyone to sleep on the floor before crawling up and quickly falling asleep. Two half-emptied net bags of chocolate gelt and one completely empty container (again courtesy of Faith) littered the top of Willow’s usually neat desk.

Willow took another cooling breath and shook her head before reaching gently over to touch Tara. She fell slightly off balance as her hand, rather than contacting a Tara-shaped sleeping bag lump, hit a floor-shaped sleeping bag lump. The light coming from under the door to Willow’s bathroom gave away Tara’s position but Willow would have figured it out anyway as her own breathing finally calmed enough for her to hear the quiet sobs.

Willow eased open the door to the bathroom and pulled it closed behind her to avoid waking up Faith, not that the girl ever woke up for anything less than an impending (and loud) apocalypse. The moment she had closed the door she dropped to her knees and crawled over to Tara. The blonde sat against the tub, a hand towel already soaked with her tears held to her mouth.

“You should have woken me,” Willow whispered as she tentatively reached out to stroke Tara’s hair. Tara didn’t answer nor look at the redhead but she didn’t pull away from Willow’s touch either. After a few strokes, Willow settled next to her friend and reached an arm around her, pulling the blond closer. “Go ahead and cry. You can cry with me,” she whispered as Tara settled into her arms.

[blockquote]Willow couldn’t take her eyes off Tara; she looked so alone. Even though she sat, her father on one side, and a woman Willow assumed must be Tara’s grandmother on the other side, she looked utterly alone and bereft. Donnie sat on their father’s other side, his back ramrod straight, his jaw clenched.

Later Tara told Willow that her father had told them that Maclays did not cry in front of others. That to show emotion or weakness would make them seem less in the eyes of their friends and family. He didn’t say to do their best or even that he knew it was a hard time.

It was an edict.

For every tear Tara didn’t shed that day, Willow must have shed three or four. She felt like she’d been crying for months. Her mother’s arm wrapped around her and she could feel that shaking too. Somehow she hadn’t expected her parents to be so upset. How could they be? They were parents. Willow’s hand found Faith’s and she knew the girl was trying not to cry but she was failing miserably. Ira and Giles stood behind the women, each occasionally reaching out to grasp a shoulder.

Willow felt as if she had to move closer to Tara. She could see her friend’s shoulders shaking and no one was doing anything to comfort her. The preacher’s voice droned on and on about a life fully lived and taken too soon and the redhead wondered how both could be true. That Elizabeth Maclay had left a loving devoted husband and two strong children. That she had left her mark in the help she gave to all who met her. Faith’s hand tightened in hers and Willow realized she had lifted one foot to move closer to Tara. She started and looked down at their hands before looking at Faith.

“Not now, Red,” Faith whispered.

Willow looked at their hands again before settling back onto her heels. The preacher finished his sermon and stepped back and a few seconds later the group heard the low hum of machinery as coffin began to be lowered into the hole in the ground. The redhead fixed her gaze on her best friend and wondered how Tara could stand it.

Her mother--being lowered into the ground?

Willow’s silent count reached 47 Mississippi before the creaking stopped and Tara’s father stood and moved toward the mound of Earth near the hole. Before lifting the shovel he removed the rose from his lapel and kissed it before dropping it into the grave. Willow realized that she felt almost shocked at the gesture, as if it had never occurred to her that the man actually loved his wife, nor that he would be mourning. He lifted the shovel and dug a mound of dirt and dropped it into the hole before handing the shovel to Donnie who repeated the ceremony without the flower. Tara, following her father and brother, forewent the shovel, bending to take two handfuls of dirt and slowly allowing them to fall onto the coffin. Willow heard and noted every drop that contacted the coffin as the blonde stood for seconds at the edge of her mother’s grave before brushing her hands into the hole. Tara’s grandmother’s motions completed the immediate family’s and they retook their seats as the rest of the attendees stepped forward to mimic them.

Finally Willow tore her eyes from Tara to question her mother quietly. “Will we do that?”

She needent have asked as her father stepped around them to take his place in the line forming near the grave and reached his hand back to hers. Willow felt grateful that her father was there to show her what to do. She knew without looking that her mother was behind her followed by Faith and Mr. Giles. [/blockquote]

That day, Tara hadn’t cried, even as Willow’s family passed and paid their respects, even as Willow hugged her and cried and couldn’t stop until finally her father gently pulled her away. Willow had gotten into the car still unable to see through the tears falling from her eyes.

Now, Tara’s body shook as she cried. Willow continued to hold her friend while tears fell from the blonde’s eyes onto Willow’s pajamas, soaking more than a few menorah and stars of David. The redhead rocked her friend gently, stroking her hair and whispering. She leaned down and kissed the top of the girl’s head, enjoying the way that felt and then doing it again. Oh God, what a creep I am. She’s crying over her mother and I’m making out with the top of her head. She started to loosen her hold but Tara’s hand gripped her arms and kept them in place, wrapped tightly around her.

Finally, Tara stopped crying and released her grip on Willow’s arms. She shifted slightly, drawing back as the redhead inhaled sharply. “A-are you ok?” She looked down and scooted a few inches across the floor.

“I’m fine. Fine. FineyMcFine,” Willow lied as she attempted to stretch her back without letting Tara see what she was doing.

“You’re sore from holding me,” Tara argued as she came closer and gently touched Willow’s side.

Willow winced slightly before realizing that the blonde was beginning to rub a circle just where her muscle ached. “That feels good,” she admitted.

“Let me wash up my m-mess of a face.” Before Tara could stand up, Willow’s hand shot out to grasp hers.

The redhead’s other hand softly cupped Tara’s chin. “Your face could never be anything but beautiful.”

Tara blushed and tried to look away but Willow wouldn’t let go of her chin. Finally the blonde mouthed, “thanks” before moving away and washing her face. By the time she finished, Willow was standing by the tub, bending over first to one side and then the other. The redhead was turned away and didn’t see the look on Tara’s face as she watched the way Willow’s shirt strained against her body. Willow certainly wasn’t developing like either Faith or Tara but she couldn’t be mistaken for a boy any longer either. Why am I thinking this? She guiltily looked away as Willow stopped her motions and then retook her seat on the floor.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Willow offered as she patted the star-shaped fuzzy matt covering the floor.

Tara took a seat close enough that she could lay her head in Willow’s lap. She had noticed long ago that everything seemed better when the redhead played with her hair and when she could smell the other girl. At first she had found it really weird that she was actually attached to her best friend’s scent it’s not like I’m a wolf or a coyote but, having no one else to ask about it and not wanting to bring it up to Willow of all people, she had decided to set the weirdness aside and just enjoy her friend.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do.” Tara’s voice was barely above a whisper. She expected Willow to ask about what, or say something but the redhead just continued playing with her hair. After a few seconds Tara spoke again. “I mean she’s gone. And I’m only 16 years old. I’m not old e-enough to lose my m-mother.”

Willow continued stroking Tara’s hair, a small part of her mind wondering if it was wrong to feel so good when she felt so bad. “I know, baby, it’s not fair. It’s not fair at all.”

“She didn’t tell me everything I n-n-need to know,” Tara said vaguely.

Willow scrunched up her eyebrows as she tried to understand what the blonde was saying. “Like what?”

“Like the secrets,” Tara said, feeling embarrassed as she did.

Willow was completely lost by Tara’s line of thought. It wasn’t often that the redhead felt lost and certainly not often that she couldn’t follow Tara. The two girls were like twins most of the time and Willow knew what Tara was thinking every moment and knew that Tara felt the same way. “What secrets?”

“I d-d-don’t know.”

Willow gripped Tara’s hand as she tried to reassure her and understand her at the same time. “Ok, well whatever you’re worried about, we’ll find out together. I mean there’s my mom and my dad and Mr. Giles and the entire Internet.”

“I d-d-don’t think I could talk to them…” Tara blushed as she thought about the kind of questions she had.

“Couldn’t talk to …” Willow looked at Tara and tried to work it out. “Oh! Oh, I get it. You mean… because we’re um growing and um changing?” Tara nodded but didn’t make eye contact. How could she tell Willow that most of her questions involved the redhead?

“It’s ok, baby,” Willow attempted to reassure her friend, fully aware that she couldn’t even speak to her mother about the issues she was finding so confusing these days, “it’s going to be ok. I promise.” She didn’t know how but she had to make Tara feel better. She shifted around so that she was lying on the floor facing Tara and took the blonde’s face in her hands. “I promise it will be ok. And I’ll always be here for anything you could need.”

Somehow having Willow’s hands on her face made the blonde feel better. Her eyes looked so sincere and promising. “Anything?”

“Anything.”

“What about the rest of your gelt?” Tara cracked a smile.

Willow sat up quickly and pressed a hand to her chest. “Now I know what I mean to you,” she said in mock indignation.

Tara sat up just as quickly. “I don’t think you could.” As the words left her mouth she immediately regretted them. You’re a dork! Why don’t you just tell her that you are a complete pervert and that you were ogling her earlier while you’re at it?

Willow tilted her head a little to the side as she noted the suddenly serious tone in Tara’s voice followed by the girl’s cutting her eyes to the side quickly. “I think I do.” You’re not supposed to feel like this. Seeing her eyes shouldn’t make your heart soar. Holding her and stroking her hair shouldn’t be the greatest joy in your life. Get a grip, Rosenberg. Aiming for a quick recovery she stood up and extended her hand toward the blonde while lifting the other wrist to check her reliable watch. “It’s 3:45. Maybe we should go back to sleep.”

Tara nodded and followed the redhead from the bathroom, turning off the light as she went. Even as tired as she was, as worn out from what felt like months of constant crying, her head was so full that it took a long to finally fall asleep.

--

In spite of her lack of sleep, Tara woke before either Faith or Willow. She quietly rose and went into the bathroom. Within minutes she was padding downstairs. She looked in the hallway mirror to ensure that she looked presentable then knocked gently on the door to the study and waited. After a few seconds she heard footsteps and then the door swung open.

“Tara, please come in.” Mr. Rosenberg stepped to the side and waved his hand as if physically inviting the girl.

“Thank you, Mr. Rosenberg,” Tara said, mentally congratulating herself for not stuttering. Once he invited her to take a seat she did and even accepted the cup of tea he offered her.

Mr. Rosenberg handed over the cup and took a seat behind his neat desk. “How are you doing?”

“I’m o-ok. I mean…”

“If you need to talk, Sheila or I can talk anytime,” he offered. Tara nodded and he reached for a folder on his desk. “I assume you wanted to talk about this.” She nodded again.

“Ok, did your mother’s lawyer explain it to you?”

“She said that my mother set up a trust for m-my college. Um, and that my f-father doesn’t know about it. Um, and that you’re the I think she said trustee and that you’ll manage it until I need the money?” Tara breathed a sigh of relief that she was able to get that all out so smoothly. The conversation a few days earlier with her mother’s lawyer, conducted just out of earshot of her father and brother had shocked her and she wasn’t sure that she understood what it all meant.

Ira nodded as Tara spoke. “I don’t know how your mother managed to do it without your father’s knowledge but she set up this trust for you. You are the sole beneficiary. As you said, I will manage the trust until you either graduate from college or turn 25. At that time, any remaining proceeds become yours.”

“So you’ll pay my application fees and tuition and books?” Tara felt like dancing a jig but she wanted to stay calm enough to follow what Willow’s father said.

“Whatever you need for school, Tara,” he confirmed. Seeing the tears welling up in her eyes he reached for his handkerchief and walked around the desk to hand it to her. After looking discretely away so that she could gather her composure for a few seconds, he asked, “Tara, you don’t have to tell me but do you know why your mother would want this kept a secret from your father?”

Tara nodded and looked away. “My f-f-father doesn’t think that girls should go to college. He only wants Donnie to go.”

Mr. Rosenberg nodded. “I see. Well, the way this trust is set up, he can’t stop you from going.”

Tara smiled broadly. “Is it… um… I mean is there enough… um… I don’t know that my m-mother had very much…”

“I’m going to invest it very conservatively because we only have 2 years until you go to school but even so, it should be enough to put you through your undergraduate degree. You may even have a little bit left over.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Wow.” Tara again dabbed at her eyes. Hearing noises in the room above them, she looked at the clock.

“Now, Tara,” Ira started, “You’re my client which means that I won’t tell anyone about this. Not even Willow or Sheila. You can tell them but I won’t.”

“Ok. Thank you, Mr. Rosenberg,” Tara said as she started to stand up.

Willow’s father smiled. “I’ve asked you before to call me Ira.” He waited to see the blonde’s smile. “My only question is how should I contact you should I need to? I understand you don’t want me to call your house.”

Tara nodded vigorously. “I asked Mr. Giles on Friday and he s-said you can call him at the library and he’ll tell me when he sees me.”

Ira smiled. “Very well. It’s a good thing Mr. Giles moved to the high school this year then.”

“Very,” Tara agreed. Again noting the noises above her she quickly said goodbye to Ira and let herself out of the study. She smiled on her way up the stairs knowing that even after she was gone, her mother was providing her with a chance at her dreams.

Last edited by JustSkipIt on Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:39 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Dibs!

ETA: Debra, I like how you are showing the progression of Willow and Tara's relationship in the context of their other life events, and not just them being like "Let's talk. I love you." I'm not sure if that makes sense, but what I'm saying is that showing how they are dealing with figuring out their feelings in the midst of very serious issues like Tara's mom dying makes it all the more real.

I can relate to so much in Willow's experience - the whole being in love with someone as an adolescent and they are upset and holding them and feeling simultaneously bad for them but also guilty because you're getting a secret vicarious thrill from it being somewhat socially acceptable to hold your friend that you have a crush on in that situation.

Wow about Willow's dreams, too. Yay. And the whole needing to go to the bathroom but not going much - very real. Wow.

ETA: I had to edit this again because I forgot that I wanted to say something about the funeral scene. When Faith's hand tightened on Willow's as she was about to go to Tara, I found that very moving. The girls know each other so well and Faith could tell what Willow was thinking, and knew about Tara's family's dynamics, and they just don't need that many words. Brilliant.

Last edited by FineyMcFine on Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:25 pm 
5. Willowhand

Aww, poor Tara. I'm gald that she has Willow. Ira wants to help Tara as well, something that I am happy to see. I'm not surprised that Tara's mother set up the college fund for her seeing how her father and brother's minds have not left the 1800s. That type of attitude and thought process really gets to me. Looking forwards to reading more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:27 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Just wanted to say that I adore this fic.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:28 pm 
3. Flaming O

Wow, that was quite gut wrenching. I liked Friendly Friends when I saw it in Fruitcake (I know, I missed leaving feedback for any of the fantastic stories there) but I missed this series until today. What a great start you've got. It is obvious and growing more and more obvious with every update just how much the girls care for each other. They seem to have no idea that the feeling is mutual:
Quote:
Willow certainly wasn’t developing like either Faith or Tara but she couldn’t be mistaken for a boy any longer either. Why am I thinking this?
or
Quote:
Oh God, what a creep I am. She’s crying over her mother and I’m making out with the top of her head
and in fact, both are admonishing themselves for their feelings.

One thing that stands out to me in this chapter is the contrast between Tara's family and Willow's "family" as it includes Faith & Giles. Their warmth is palpable while Tara's family's coldness is just as oppressive. I'm happy for the ending of the chapter in which we get some hope for Tara's future.

Please keep it coming.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:02 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

This chapter must have been very difficult to write. Those of us who have lost a parent know that it's always too soon, no matter what age we are. But for a 16 year old, and one who is trying to understand who she is and why she has the feelings she does ... it was way too soon.

You've shed a little light on the Maclay family: rigid, authoritarian father, loving, doomed mother who wants to give her daughter wings. In some ways I feel sorriest for Donny; though he's barely mentioned here, we can see that he's trying to live up to his father's expectations. No way that's going to happen without warping his life. Tara has been given a way out, and the outside adult help she needs to take advantage of it. No such help for her brother.

The Willow/Tara interaction is beautifully done. The deep and tender love they have for each other is combined with their feelings of confusion and guilt. The steps are tentative, the fears are great, but the reality won't be denied.

Tara's line, "I don't think you could," is the equivalent of, "I am, you know ... Yours." In your version, though, Willow gets to respond with understanding, instead of turning away with an embarrassed smile.

I wonder what changes the next year will bring.

Russ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:28 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Debra,

I'm so excited to see that you decided to continue with this story. I already adore it! I always love fics that deal with the girls when they were younger. It's interesting to see how their feelings are devoloping. The last update was heart breaking to read. Great stuff so far, I can't wait for more!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:36 am 
4. Extra Flamey

I've just finished re-reading this update and yep, I was right, it hurts just as much the second time through. You've written a very emotional piece. The funeral scene captured the conflicting feelings of wanting to help/comfort while at the same time feeling helpless/scared. It felt very real.

Way to go, Ira! :applause I definitely like your take on Willow's parents much better than in canon. You've made them loving, interested, active participants in Willow's life whereas the show painted them as disinterested and absent.

On a more personal note, this chapter brought up some old feelings of my own. I distinctly remember being madly in love with my best friend in high school. We did everything together; I practically lived at her house. There were many sleep-overs and I would always sleep in my clothes because getting into pjs and crawling in bed next to her was just too much. After graduation, I mustered up the courage to tell her. The revelation of my feelings did not go well. I trust W/T will be much more successful in their declarations of love. :-D

So, what I meant to say (sorry about using so many words to do it) is that these chapters ring very true of the high school experience for me (and I suspect for many other folks). Keep up the great work!

Michelle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:18 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
'Making out with the top of her head' - I love that. It's such a Willow kind of thing to think :x

I really like how this story is filtered through Willow and Tara's age - it affects how things seem important or trivial, what slips by unnoticed and what stands out... it affects everything, and I think you've really nailed it. We get to see things how they see them, not as an outside (adult) narrator would. It's really immersive.

Even though Faith didn't get a great deal to do (yet), the moment when she reached for Willow's hand at the funeral spoke volumes about her. Possibly because of her own shaky family life, she's matured in some ways faster than Willow (maybe Tara too), and can see things they don't. That she grasps something that subtle is a powerful contrast to her wild bad girl image - there's true depth to her. I wonder whether she suspects anything of the attraction between our lovebirds - or if not, how she'll react?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:27 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Yay for Ira! *singing* Go Ira...it's your birthday!

The compassion Ira has shown toward Tara is compeletly heartwarming...

As always, excellent update. I would comment more, but I hear the twins just waking up, and any moment they'll be calling me downstairs. (lovely) hehe

Anyway...I can't wait for the next update!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:54 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Sally-Willy-Nilly – I totally understand what you’re saying about the real life issues. Or at least I delude myself into believing that I do. But that’s the thing, isn’t it? I mean we don’t get to set aside our entire life for the purpose of falling in love or maintaining it. We still have to clean up our rooms and brush our teeth (maybe more often) and work and pay bills throughout the mind-numbing, breath-stealing experience that is love.

I think that the vicarious thrill of holding a crush is incredibly common. Thus we’ve probably all had that experience, shown in countless fics, of holding a friend or roommate through a nightmare. Heck, I watched Fingersmith last week (as you know) and it was in there, turning into a whole always sleep together thing. Cause the thing is that wanting to be snuggled is just a natural human wish it seems to me. And sometimes it’s sexual and sometimes it’s less so and sometimes we sit there feeling guilt and confusion over it.

Quote:
Wow about Willow's dreams, too. Yay. And the whole needing to go to the bathroom but not going much - very real. Wow.
When I was in like middle school my mother always had these books around: Looking for Mr Goodbar I guess was one of her favorites or romance novels and I would read them and never figured out how I was feeling. I just always felt like going to the bathroom. Lol.

Yes! Faith knows both Tara and Willow very well. Faith’s the one who can control all those emotions that Willow doesn’t know what to do with (boy is that written badly). Here, Faith is able to communicate and control Willow in a loving and supportive way.

Thanks for commenting.

Willow~Rosenberg – Definitely poor Tara. Her mother is gone and she’s left with her father and brother. Fortunately her mother is trying to help her. I’ve read some research that says one of the determining factors in “success” for kids is having one adult who they trust for guidance. In this case, Tara is lucky in that she has Giles, Ira, & Sheila. Ira is acting as trustee in a professional capacity but he definitely has a lot of love in this particular assignment. Thanks so much.

tcurti3 – I’m not sure I’ve seen your log in before. Welcome to another Chicagoland kitten. :wave Try to stay away from gay square dancing—I’ve heard there’s somewhat of an epidemic happening there. Thanks for posting and I’m glad you adore it.

Graceland – Hey Grace. I haven’t seen much from you lately. I totally agree that Tara and Willow are somewhat torturing themselves thinking that the way each feels about the other is unrequited. Instead they admonish themselves for feeling something natural. I’ll repeat what I’ve said before: it’s hard to be an adolescent.

Quote:
One thing that stands out to me in this chapter is the contrast between Tara's family and Willow's "family" as it includes Faith & Giles. Their warmth is palpable while Tara's family's coldness is just as oppressive.
That’s exactly what I was trying to convey. Thank you for seeing and describing it so clearly. Thanks always.

russ – You know, I was actually surprised that this chapter wasn’t harder to write.
Quote:
Those of us who have lost a parent know that it's always too soon, no matter what age we are.
100% right. My mother was 60 when her mother died and she told me it was too early and I was 36 when my mother died and it was definitely too early. So for Tara, at 16 with no real loving parent, it’s terrible.

I think you’re nailed the Maclays pretty well including Donnie.

Quote:
The Willow/Tara interaction is beautifully done. The deep and tender love they have for each other is combined with their feelings of confusion and guilt.
Both in great measures. I’m glad you like Tara’s line and Willow’s response.

Quote:
I wonder what changes the next year will bring.
You mean my “one update per year” pattern is that obvious? :evil Thanks for your comments.

WillowRTaraM1 – Thanks so much. I haven’t written any fics this young before and I’m enjoying it greatly. It’s easier to write young angst than to live it; that’s for sure. Thanks so much.

mole – Wow, and I’m the kind of person who reads
Quote:
it hurts just as much the second time through.
and goes, “yay!” I get it though. I want to communicate all the horror and terror and pain of losing a parent and being alone. I’m glad that comes through even if it hurts. You’ve nailed Willow’s predicament at the funeral perfectly: she wants to help but she’s bound by social convention and respecting Tara’s constraints. And that is very painful for her.

I feel like Willow’s parents definitely got the shaft in canon. I mean they were brought out basically one time and portrayed as cartoons and never mentioned again (or mentioned very briefly). Sometimes I use them like that but more frequently, I like to moderate them somewhat. In this case, Willow is the only character who gets “good” parents.

Sorry to hear about how your declarations went. I think that we can be pretty confident that things will go better for W/T eventually seeing as this is the Kitten Board. Thanks so much.

Chris – Definitely agree re: making out = Willow thing. Thanks. “Immersive.” I hadn’t thought of it like that but I’m glad that comes through. I’m definitely trying to use their ages and intelligence in writing the narration rather than my own. I mean mine would be “poor Willow, she thinks she’s the only one who feels this way but it’s all just part of adolescence. Really, Tara feels just as confused as she does and wants to be close but doesn’t know how.” See, very condescending and not nearly as interesting. I do think that Faith’s matured faster than the other two in a lot of ways and not at all in other ways. I think that the hand reaching at the funeral is one of those moments that says a lot in this fic, kind of like their confessions that their parents were happy they were “friendly friends” in the first part, or the girl’s mentioning Tara’s mom looking good in part 2.

Quote:
I wonder whether she suspects anything of the attraction between our lovebirds - or if not, how she'll react?
More to come on that but everything on that front won’t be revealed for a few more updates at least. Thanks for commenting.

Emms - :rofl for Ira and your cheer. I’m glad readers and liking this Ira. I want to paint the Rosenberg family with a much softer brush than in canon. I totally get it about the kids waking up. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:14 am 
3. Flaming O

Had to say how much I dig this story. I've realized, and certainly regret not telling you, that I greatly enjoy the physicality of your writing style. Perhaps it is the careful use of verbs or the basic structure of your sentences, but there is a real immediacy to your writing style that can only come from strong sentences and not saying anything that need not be stated. Fun tangents are great, but I wanted to tell you that your work is very engrossing,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:31 am 
10. Troll Hammer

G'day, Debra.

Ah, finally I come in on one of your stories before it's at best half over. I saw your name in the author column and actually wriggled in my seat like a happy puppy. I did manage to avoid weeing on the carpet though, so I guess the toilet training is working. :-D I have to admit, I had to wait until I'd finished reading Elemental, and Fruitcake before I could read this one though, which is why I haven't left feedback before now. Oh well, two updates isn't too bad.

Ah, now how can I say how much I adore your writing, without sounding like a deranged stalker? :hmm Nope, can't think of a way. :-D

As always, you've managed to perfectly capture those little idiosyncrasies that make Willow who she is. And you do it with the small, subtle touches, the tiny things like how Will has everything arranged just so.

Then there's all the little signs of a full-on raging crush that both Willow and Tara are nursing without noticing for the most part. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that they'll be noticing the way they feel about each other quite a bit more as time goes by.

You've handled the issue of Tara's mother's illness so subtly, that we the readers might not have even noticed it without the benefit of canon knowledge. They never really seem to speak of it out in the open, only hinting by comments that she 'looks good', as if by speaking of it openly will just make it more real. Until the funeral scene anyway.

It's kind of telling, isn't it, that there seems to be little to no mention of Tara's father and brother until this point. Heck, even at the start of 'Friendly Friends' I noticed that while Tara asked if her parents were there, Faith expressly answered that she didn't see her. It was as if Faith was subtly showing that she considered that Tara only had one real parent.

That's one thing that you always seem to do so well, Debra; you portray emotion so honestly, so accurately, that it's breathtaking.

As always, I remain in awe of your talent. And would you look at that? I'm gushing again.

Cheers,
Paul.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:48 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Really enjoying this story so far. You're a fabulous writer. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:35 pm 
3. Flaming O

Happy Birthday Asher!!!! :balloons

--->Susan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:33 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

ringwaldoeuvre – Thanks so much. I really appreciate what you’re saying about my style. I can say that some of that is intentional and some is just kind of natural. I’m glad it works. Thanks.

Paul – G’day to you too.
Quote:
I did manage to avoid weeing on the carpet though, so I guess the toilet training is working.
Elemental writers, take note. I’m glad to have you even after 2 updates. Welcome.

I’m really trying to write those little idiosyncrasies as you point out. I’m glad that’s working. In a format like this, one update per year, I have to really make little things count for a lot.
Quote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that they'll be noticing the way they feel about each other quite a bit more as time goes by.
We’ll see.

Re: Tara’s mother. I tried to put one thing in each update that could say “something’s wrong here” without shouting about it. I’m glad it worked well. Thanks for all your comments. More to come momentarily.

For The Love of Tara – Hi and welcome to the Kitten Board. :wave Thank you for your thoughts on the story and my writing.

Susan – Thanks! Balloons, just like his party. I’ll show him the post when he wakes up.

Title – Menorah Tales – Part 4

Author – JustSkipIt

Pairing – T/W

Feedback – Darn Tootin!

Spoilers – None

Rating – PG

About a year later

“I’m telling you, that was probably the best game in the history of Sunnydale basketball. No, in the history of Sunnydale High School.”

Willow and Tara smiled at each other. They’d heard this riff the entire ride over from the game and they knew it wasn’t likely to end any time soon. And actually, Jimmy was right. It was quite a spectacular game.

“Why don’t we talk about something else,” Faith suggested, seeing the expression on Willow and Tara’s faces.

Tara smiled at her friend’s attempt but she also felt like Faith deserved to have some glory tonight. After all, the girl had pretty much single-handedly beaten Riverdale in the Regional finals tonight. Sunnydale had never won a championship of any kind, the mysterious disappearance of some swimmers a few years ago from a promising team seeming to cement the school’s place as an easy mark for better teams. But Faith had not just held her team close; she had scored 47 points with 13 rebounds tonight to whip the defending state championship team by 11 points.

It was Willow’s private argument that Faith should have quit basketball the year before, that not only did she now have better things to do with her energy but that it wasn’t fair to the other players. But Tara and Faith said that Faith did enough to help people; she should be able to enjoy excelling at something that could actually help her in life. Mr. Giles, thankfully, stayed clear of the discussion as long as Faith didn’t neglect her duties.

Willow looked sideways at Tara before offering, “I still don’t understand how you made that shot to end the first half.”

“Man, isn’t that the truth?” Jimmy agreed. He looked down to see that his and Faith’s cokes were both empty and offered to go get them each one, sliding from the booth but not before Faith grabbed him and kissed him deeply.

Faith slid back into the booth but continued watching Jimmy walking away. “Mmm.” After admiring her boyfriend for a few seconds she returned her attention to both girls. “Thanks for coming out tonight.”

“Of course,” Willow said. “We’re celebrating.” Just as she spoke a car drove by, its occupants loudly honking and waving as if emphasizing her point.

“Yeah, but I know neither of you is exactly sports-girl.”

“We are when it’s our friend kicking butt,” Tara offered. As she spoke, she moved her leg slightly closer to Willow’s under the table. When their legs made contact, she felt the heat from the redhead’s leg through her own skirt and smiled. For a moment she wished that Willow would take her hand under the table but the redhead rarely made such a bold move and Tara never felt like she could. As Willow and Faith visited, Tara snuck glances at Willow’s profile. It was, in a word, adorable. Her lips stuck out just slightly as she pouted at something Faith said and her small nose always made Tara think of placing tiny kisses on the end of it. She quickly looked away and took a deep drink of her Sprite, grateful that the glass was mostly full of ice.

“Hail the conquering hero,” Jimmy announced, “I hunted and gathered some Cokes.”

“I missed you,” Faith enthused before reaching under the table to … well do something that Tara wasn’t sure she really wanted or needed to know. Whatever it was, Jimmy turned a funny shade of red and put his arm around the brunette.

“Here. I saw that yours was running low.” Frank set a Sprite down in front of Tara before pulling up a chair at the end of the booth.

“Um, th-thanks.”

“How’ve you been, Tara?”

“G-good. I mean I guess.” Tara glanced over at Willow to see the redhead intently studying the ice in her glass. Her energy seemed uneven, unsettled. “I’ve been studying a lot. We’re taking the SATs next week.” She patted Willow on the leg as if trying to include her in the conversation.

“Me too,” Frank said, “maybe we can do some prep together? I need a 1200 to get into UCLA. Where do you think you’ll go?”

Tara glanced across to see Jimmy and Faith smiling at the interchange and felt her irritation rising. It wasn’t like there was anything wrong with Frank or even wrong with Jimmy and Faith wanting her to go out with him. It was just. Just. She didn’t feel anything for him. When they’d gone to a movie, she had enjoyed the movie but it was just a movie. She missed the conversation, the running commentary movies usually contained. Ok, the movie doesn’t contain any running commentary. That usually came from her companion. She looked again at Willow who was still staring intently into her Coke.

“I, um, … c-can you excuse me?” Tara waited for Frank to move so that Willow could let her out and then said she’d be right back.

“Well, great game, Faith,” Frank said before rejoining his friends.

“Why don’t you be really rude, Red?”

Willow looked up suddenly from her drink. “What?”

“Frank’s a nice guy. Every time he comes around, you look like he stole your puppy or something.”

Willow looked back at her Coke before setting the glass on the table. “I just don’t really think he’s a good guy for Tara.”

“Why not?”

Willow wondered how to answer Jimmy’s question. It seemed so simple. Jimmy wasn’t being confrontational or a jerk. Frank was his best friend and he couldn’t imagine any girl not wanting to go out with him. What could Willow say? Because I don’t think there is a good guy for Tara. Because of me? “I don’t know.” She looked up to see Tara standing next to her and smiled broadly before sliding against the wall. “You can sit on the outside, um, in case you want to talk to anyone.”

Tara tilted her head slightly as she wondered what her friends had discussed while she was gone. As long as I’m close to you, that’s all I need. How much longer would this go on? Willow had seemed so troubled by Frank’s visit. Was it possible that … Before she could say anything, they were interrupted again. “Faith, great game.”

Faith quickly pulled her hand out of Jimmy’s lap. “Thanks, Coach.”

“Hi, Coach,” Jimmy said with a high-pitched squeak.

“This is Teek Strider,” Coach said indicating the very fit man standing next to him.

“Faith Lehane,” Faith said shaking his hand and standing up.

“You had a great game, Faith. I’d be interested in talking to you about your plans sometime,” he said while still pumping her hand up and down.

Faith glanced at her Coach before nodding. “I’d like that too, Sir.”

“Why don’t you kids enjoy your evening?” Coach said, smiling at both Willow and Tara before both men left.

“Who was that?” Willow asked, noting the excitement on both Faith and Jimmy’s faces.

“Teek Strider, USC women’s basketball coach.”

“I thought the coaches couldn’t recruit you yet,” Tara said.

Faith snuggled closer to Jimmy as she explained. “They can’t but he wasn’t. He was just having dinner with his friend and they happened to run into us.” While she was explaining, Jimmy waved over the waitress who explained that their bill had already been paid. “Cool, huh?”

The group left the diner and got to Jimmy’s car, Willow and Tara sliding into the back seat. They endured what Tara felt was a much longer kiss between the young lovers than she really needed to witness before he started the car and drove them to the Rosenberg home. Willow and Tara quickly said their goodbyes and jumped from the car, looking anywhere but at each other as Faith took a much longer time to say goodbye.

Finally she emerged from the car looking quite invigorated. “Are we lighting the candles tonight?” She took two quick strides to catch up to the other girls and playfully put her arms around their shoulders. “I hope Mamacita and Pops doubled the gelt this year.” She patted her stomach as if the two burgers, fries, and four cokes she had just had made no impression at all.

“I think they said something about tripling your chocolate in lieu of giving you any money,” Willow teased as she slipped from under Faith’s arm and ran toward the door.

Tara laughed as Faith playfully swatted behind Willow. Lowering her voice she changed the subject. “So you don’t want to go out with Frank?”

Tara looked up to see Willow standing triumphantly on the front door step, clasping her hands together and raising them over her head, first on one side and then the other, to celebrate her unchallenged victory. The redhead looked absolutely adorable. There couldn’t be another word for it. Could never be another word for it. “No,” Tara whispered, her voice seeming to leave her.

Willow opened the front door as Faith and Tara reached her. She wondered what she had missed when she heard Faith say, “Well, I don’t really get that. I mean Frank’s a babe. If I wasn’t with Jimbo, who knows?”

Sheila was coming down the stairs as the three girls got in. “Hi, girls. Great game, Faith.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Rosenberg.”

“Hi, Mrs. Rosenberg,” Tara added quietly, waving to Ira as he walked out from his study.

The group repeated their annual tradition with the three menorahs although Tara noted the way that Willow carefully showed her how to light the candles, her hand maybe lingering a little too long on the blonde’s. The girls thanked Willow’s parents for their chocolate and money and headed upstairs, announcing their intent to watch a movie.

As soon as they entered Willow’s room, Faith looked at the clock. “Shit. 10:30. G-man’s going to kick my ass.”

“Do you w-w-want company?” Tara offered as Willow excused herself to the bathroom.

Faith shook her head. “Naw. You two enjoy a video. I’m wicked pumped up from the game and the caffeine.”

“Who’s got caffeine?” Willow joked as she re-entered the room, turning her head to watch as Tara walked toward the bathroom.

“I’m too full of it,” Faith said. She stood at the French doors thinking and then turned back toward her friend. “Hey,” she tapped Willow on the forehead, “are you ok?”

“Yeah. Yeah. I mean fine. FineyMcFine.”

Faith spied Tara emerging from the bathroom but continued her conversation with Willow. “You know that you only say you’re FineyMcFine when you’re totally not FineyMcFine, right?”

“Hey,” Willow protested. “You’re not supposed to be empathetic. You’re supposed to be a tough girl.” She stepped around the brunette and swung open the doors. “Go be tough and try to be quiet when you get in.”

“Great,” Faith said with a smile. “Maybe you’ll talk to Tara because something is bothering you.” She put one leg over the balcony railing. “Happy Hanukah!” She shouted as she dropped out of sight.

Tara pulled the door shut and stood against it for a minute watching Faith jog away from the house. “Be careful,” she whispered. She was startled from her quiet thoughts by Willow’s soft touch on her lower back.

“She’ll be fine.”

“What about you?”

Willow pulled her hand back slightly. “What about me?”

Tara watched the redhead’s face in the dark glass. “Are you going to be ok?”

“FineyMc…” Willow took a breath. “I’m ok.” She took a few steps across the room and reached into a desk drawer. “I got you a present. I hope that’s ok. I mean Hanukah but still.”

Tara turned from the window, taking in the hopefulness of Willow’s expression. She held a small gift in both hands. It was wrapped in blue paper with stars and little menorahs on it and reminded the blonde of Willow’s special pajamas. “Is it pajamas?”

Willow smiled cheekily. “They would be pretty small if it was.”

Tara noticed the blush rising in Willow’s cheeks. Maybe. Just maybe.

“I…um… h-have something for um you … too? Something I want to give you.”

“I’m sure whatever you have will be great and I didn’t expect anything so ok,” Willow offered. She had noticed the blush on Tara’s face. Maybe she was worried that her present wouldn’t be nice enough? Well, then it was Willow’s job to let her know that she would love whatever Tara had for her.

Tara sat down on the side of Willow’s bed and patted the space next to her. “So presents and I get to sit next to you?” Willow took the space right next to the blonde. “What a great deal.” She hugged Tara before explaining, “Can you open yours first because I don’t think I can wait and I hope you’ll like it but if you don’t you don’t have to keep it and I can get you something else.”

Tara placed one slim finger on Willow’s lips to stop the babbling. Their faces were mere inches apart and she had to force herself to pull away. “I’ll love it.” She held out her hands and playfully closed her eyes.

Willow placed the wrapped package in Tara’s hands, wondering if the blonde would understand her gift. Opening her eyes, Tara noted the sparkling color of Willow’s looking back at her. She hesitated just a moment before tearing the wrapping paper. “Oh, Willow. It’s so beautiful!” She looked down at the menorah in her hands and began studying it more intently. The craftsmanship of the piece was incredible. “Where did you find a Willow tree menorah?”

“I had it made,” Willow explained proudly, leaning over to point out each of the nine candle holders and the way the fake branches wound out from the center of the menorah. “I though that … this way… you know. You would be … would have…” She trailed off, completely unsure how should possibly explain why she wanted the blonde to have the menorah.

Tara could feel the tears beginning to well up in her eyes. “It’s s-so beautiful, Willow. Thank you.” She impulsively wrapped her arms around the redhead who first returned the hug stiffly and then seemed to loosen up and return it. Once they had separated Tara looked down at the piece of art, running her fingertips over the branches. Now it was her turn. She knew Willow was waiting for her present. And it didn’t seem like as great a plan as she had thought earlier. Or yesterday. Last week. The week before.

“Is mine in your backpack?” Willow’s voice cut through Tara’s worry. “Hey, are you ok? You’re shaking. Did you not like the present because you don’t have to keep it if you don’t like it or if it makes you uncomfortable or something. And I’ll love anything you want to give me and you don’t even have to give me anything either.” Willow barely paused for breath. “And is it because I was rude when Frank came over to say hi? Because I wasn’t trying to be rude and he’s a really nice guy and if you want to go out with him, you should definitely do it because I think you should do whatever makes you happy so you’ll be happy and if Frank…”

Tara glanced sideways. She loved the sound of Willow’s voice. In her life she’d never loved anything else like she loved that sound. But this wasn’t the sound of speculation on why Sunnydale’s mascot was a razorback but their uniforms were maroon. This was a train wreck babble. A disaster of turning blue and passing out from lack of oxygen babble. Of running over and through her words until they all became word soup. She set down the menorah and lifted one hand to rest her fingertips against Willow’s lips. The babbling stopped immediately and Tara could have sworn that she felt the lightest of kisses against her skin.

“I want to give you something but I’m afraid.” She couldn’t believe she got that out with stuttering.

Willow’s eyebrows shot up to near her widow’s peak. “Afraid?”

“I just think … I mean if you d-d-don’t want…” Tara could feel her fear turning to terror in her chest. Could feel the heat of its growth into her stomach and legs. If she didn’t do this now, she knew she … She didn’t know what would happen.

“I think I’m just going to…” Again her ability to say something without stuttering shocked the blonde into action. She slowly took her fingertips from Willow’s lips where she was surprised to realize they had remained throughout her panic, shifting them slightly to the sides to touch Willow’s cheek. Her other hand rose to mirror the first on Willow’s other cheek so that she cupped the girl’s small face in her hands. Seeing the look of confusion and something else she couldn’t identify on Willow’s face, Tara smiled, happy to see her smile returned. Slowly, she moved her face slightly closer, wondering if Willow would realize what was happening and pull away. Willow’s eyes grew larger, almost cartoon-like, bulging from her face. Now! Tara bit down the fear threatening to overtake her and tilted her head to one side while leaning in and closing her eyes.

When her lips met Willow’s Tara used hardly any pressure before she pulled back a few inches and opened her eyes. Her silent question--is this ok? Is this something you want?--was answered less silently.

Willow’s lips curled up at the corners for just a moment. “Tell me we can do that again?”

Tara felt like jumping from the bed and running around the room doing backflips and handsprings. Not being very athletic, she settled for leaning in for another kiss, this time meeting Willow in the middle. The redhead returned Tara’s gentle kiss as she raised her hand and put it on the back of Tara’s head, winding her fingers in the girl’s soft tresses. For seconds, minutes, maybe hours, they allowed their lips to move gently together in a flow of kisses that took their breath away.

Willow couldn’t believe that Tara had kissed her, was kissing her. She didn’t want to ever stop. Finally, after all these years of dreaming, her dream was coming true. She felt completely overwhelmed with the love she felt, pulling away only long enough to wrap her arms around Tara’s back and pull her into a tight hug. Tears fell from her eyes as she whispered. “I’ve dreamed of this for so long. Oh, Tara, how I’ve dreamed of this.” A terrible thought occurred to the redhead. “You’re not going out with Frank now right? I mean this isn’t just you, um, wondering? Experimenting?”

Tara smiled her half-smile and Willow felt relieved. She was looking at her with such a look of adoration. “No, sweetie. I’m not going out with anyone but you.” She suddenly felt her old insecurity surfacing. “I m-m-mean if you w-w…”

“Oh, Tara, I want. I want more than you could possibly know.”

Tara smiled again. “I think I know.” Then they were kissing and moving together and neither knew any longer who was kissing who and where one kiss stopped and the next started. Someone poked her tongue out and licked the other girl’s lips and it seemed like such a spectacular idea that they continued like that for even longer.

Much later, the two girls snuggled together on Willow’s bed. Willow lay on her back with Tara against her chest. She was playing with the ends of Tara’s hair and kissing the top of her head whenever she felt like they had been too many seconds apart. Tara felt as secure as she had ever felt with Willow’s other arm around her. She was toying with the bottom of Willow’s shirt as they snuggled. “I can’t believe I’m going to h-have to move from this spot to get ready for bed.”

“Mmm, not yet. No moving yet.” Tara smiled against Willow’s chest and felt the vibration of Willow’s next words. “Can I ask you a question, Tara?”

Tara sat up at little to see her girlfriend’s face. “Anything.”

“When did you start feeling like this? I mean when did you want to um… you know?”

“When did I want to kiss you?” Willow blushed and nodded. “Do you remember about a month before my mom died—I took the day off school to spend with her?”

“You missed a history test.”

“You would remember that,” Tara teased. “I asked her about it. I mean I was pretty vague, like ‘what if I kind of like someone but I don’t know if it’s ok’ and ‘what if I’m not like you always thought I would be?’ stuff like that. But my mom was totally clear. She looked me in the eye and said that she could never be disappointed in me. Ever.” Tara wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. “Then she asked if we were going to the movies that Friday. She actually said, ‘are you and Willow going to the movies this week?’ I mean it was a-always the three of us but she asked about you. I think she wanted me to know that she knew it was you. That I liked. And that it was ok with her.”

Willow hugged Tara tighter as the girl talked about her mother and how much that conversation had meant to her. “W-what about you?”

Willow smiled as she remembered. “I kind of can’t remember not wanting this. I mean one day we were at a movie and it was a romantic comedy. Something with Hugh Grant and I remember it wasn’t very good. And I was watching you. Watching you watching it. And he and whoever else was in the movie kissed and I just knew. Knew that I wanted to kiss you, that you were the only person I could imagine kissing, like ever.”

Tara could think of no response more appropriate than kissing Willow again and yet again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:57 am 
17. Mega-Witches

How fortunate that I happen to be online right now to call DIBS!

ETA: What a sweet way to finally have them acknowledge their feelings for each other, awwwwwwwwww! I love how nervous Tara was when she was going to kiss Willow, and how Willow's eyes got all big when she realized what was about to happen. I had initially thought at the hamburger place when their legs were touching and there was the mental thought about holding hands that they had gotten together in medias res and I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOO, how could you not show us, Debra? But then I was reassured that they were just close friends who held hands sometimes. So cute.

Despite Faith's urging of Tara to talk to Frank, part of me wonders if she's got a little inlking about the two of them and she deliberately cut out and left the room in order to give them a little time together. Even if she didn't know consciously, maybe subconsciously. I don't see her being shocked or appalled when she finds out (if they tell her, I guess), although this being non-canon (or is it canon-ish, is Faith a slayer here? That was a little ambiguous about her "other duties" unless it meant working in the library) I suppose she could be shocked etc.

After I was done reading the story I was like "Hey, Tara didn't give Willow her present" because I was assuming from Willow's question "Is it in your backpack?" that it was in Tara's backpack, but then I realized of course, duh, the present was the KISS. YAY. Anyway, this was GREAT. More soon, more soon, more soon!!!

Last edited by FineyMcFine on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:37 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Sally, you always seem to be online at the right time to call dibs...I wonder what that means.... :eyebrow

Anyway, second DIBS!

ETA

Debra, I have to say I love your version of Faith. She sooo kicks butt….err without the literalness of actually kicking the butt.

Quote:
“I…um… h-have something for um you … too? Something I want to give you.”

OMG! It is so sweet that they are exchanging special gifts!

Quote:
Tara placed one slim finger on Willow’s lips to stop the babbling. Their faces were mere inches apart and she had to force herself to pull away. “I’ll love it.” She held out her hands and playfully closed her eyes.

That was Niiiice.

Quote:
“I had it made,” Willow explained proudly, leaning over to point out each of the nine candle holders and the way the fake branches wound out from the center of the menorah.

When I read this for the first time, my brain totally skipped over the “had it made” part and translated it into “I made it.” And I though. Wow! I had no Idea Willow was so talented, then of course I read it again and felt like a shmuck. Hehe…just thought I’d share.

Quote:
She set down the menorah and lifted one hand to rest her fingertips against Willow’s lips. The babbling stopped immediately and Tara could have sworn that she felt the lightest of kisses against her skin.

Wow… is it just me or is it getting rather warm in there?

Quote:
She slowly took her fingertips from Willow’s lips where she was surprised to realize they had remained throughout her panic, shifting them slightly to the sides to touch Willow’s cheek. Her other hand rose to mirror the first on Willow’s other cheek so that she cupped the girl’s small face in her hands

It’s not just me.

Quote:
“No, sweetie. I’m not going out with anyone but you.” She suddenly felt her old insecurity surfacing. “I m-m-mean if you w-w…”

Well, thank the Gods/goddesses

Debra, that was so beautifully crafted. Their first kiss....lovely. You tied all their feelings up nicely, into this perfect little package of sweetness. I have to admit though, that I was a bit surprised that they kissed so soon...I half expected you to keep us hangin' chapter after chapter....after chapter... :lol maybe I'm having post traumatic stress because of what we all went though with School Days. LOL

Anyway, this update was absolutely brilliant!

xoxo
Emms

Last edited by Emms on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:43 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Yippee! Updatey goodness :applause

What a wonderful first kiss. Tara's nervousness, excitement, and fear comes through so clearly. Making the first move is never easy and you've captured the struggle very well.

A Willow Tree Menorah? That's just brilliant. Willow giving a piece of herself and her faith to Tara. It just very touching and symbolic of the deep love, affection, and friendship these two share.

So, Faith knows something is up with the girls. Wonder if she'll be shocked to see them cuddled together in bed when she returns from patrol? Or does she know, somewhere deep down, that something is going on between her two friends?

Hmmmm...the SATs are coming up. So the next installment will be senior year? Can't wait!

Thanks, again, for sharing high school Willow, Tara, and Faith with us.
Michelle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next