The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Part 2 Complete 2/4)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:10 am 
3. Flaming O

Am I the only one picking up on the gay undertones between Spike and Angel? Or at least on Spike's side?

Great update - I'm glad everything worked out so well for everyone, although I wonder how Tara will feel about not being able to do magic.

I'd love to see an epilogue - maybe a year in the future so we can see what everyone is up to and how they're dealing with the changes in their lives. And if Spike and Angel have hooked up. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:18 pm 
5. Willowhand

Not an update or anything, unfortunately, just wanted to pop in and thank all of you wonderful kittens. The feedback really means a lot, and the fact that anyone's interested in part 3 makes me happy. There'll be a short prologue coming soon, which takes place shortly after part 2, and then the first chapter will jump forward a little.

SallyMcFine - Yes, reconciliation is going to be a big theme in Part 3 - among others. The world the scoobies and the Angel Inc. crew knew has definitely changed forever, and I think it'll be tough to adapt for any of them. As for Dawn visiting, she'll definitely be involved in some way or another - although Anya might have a love interest that develops elsewhere - I think...

Thanks so much for all your kind words and support as this tale has progressed - I really can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

mole - The power of love - always a good thing! :-D Glad to hear you're interested in a part 3 - one is on the way. As far as Buffy/Faith, I thought it was important that Buffy give up that wish - she knew what Willow had gone through, and I don't think early Buffy (the one I liked) would have been selfish enough to use the wish for herself. As far as how the three will interact now...well, that's going to be a large part of Part 3, which will contain 100% less apocalypse.

justin - True, pulling back would still have been of the good, but Faith was thinking more like a cavalry general - just rush the enemy and hope for the best, so retreating wouldn't have been in the cards. Tara's erasure of the demons may come off a little harsh, but it wasn't every demon or anything like that, just hell's armies, the worst of the worst. So Clem is safe. :-D And part 3's on it's way!

Orpheus18 - The end was a little angsty, for sure, but there's more to come - although whether the group will get back together is hard to say. Lots of issues there. I'm glad you liked, though, and thanks for the dance party. :lol

writerfreak - I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed so far, part 3 is yet to come!

lottagay - Well, there's definitely going to be fallout from Tara's memory spell, and I certainly wouldn't rule out :wtkiss Stay tuned!

UnderTheirSpell - No need to check back twice a day, I don't write that quickly! :-D And I'm totally with you on the job front - work sucks. Hopefully there'll be an update soon!

erinlove - Thanks so much for reading!

WillowRulez - Yeah, I wasn't going to let that end without the prophecy coming into play - glad I could make your dream come true. :-D I agree with you totally - it was a cheat we never saw that happen. As for Tara, she's definitely going to have a lot to deal with, and Willow's going to have to make some tough choices about telling her the truth. And Anya? Maybe a little weird, but I couldn't just drop her off safe and sound, just like the day she left - wouldn't have been weird enough! :-D

a willow angel - Angel turning human had to be in there somewhere, and so did Anya's return - I may be an angsty girl, but I'm a sucker for a happy ending! So glad you're enjoying, and hang in there - part 3 won't be too far away.

Grayson - You know, you picked up on something I certainly never intended, but I went back and read through what I've written, and there does seem to be some subtext there, doesn't there? Weird. Apparently my characters are changing themselves now - kinda freaky. Anyway...yes, Tara's definitely got some interesting times ahead, as do they all. And there'll definitely be more - although I'm not sure that Angel and Spike will couple up...unless they write themselves again. :-D Thanks for reading!

Well, that's about it for now. First part of Part 3 should hopefully be up by the end of the week or the weekend. Thanks for reading, everybody!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:07 am 
10. Troll Hammer

hey tarafied4life... how's it going?

i've ve just finished reading everything from the start and i absolutely loved it! you weren't afraid to experiment with tara being touched by the dark and i think it worked really well coz i never did end up not liking her even when she decided to go to the dark side... coz i totally can understand her grief... you just wrote that part really well that i can't help but sympathize... and willow's stayed steadfast and never gave up on their love... wow!

i really liked how part 2 ended... and having anya back is just a great bonus too! so they're starting over in sunnydale with spike and angel in tow... i can't wait to read how that will go...

wonderful story tarafied... like the rest of them... the idea of a continuation of this story with a part 3 is very much anticipated! can't wait!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:48 pm 
5. Willowhand

Sorry for the short part here, but it's just a quick prologue to set up the tensions that are going to be apparent throughout part 3.

tarebear - How's it going? Complicated question, that...not bad, though. I'm really happy you liked part 2, and especially that Tara remained a sympathetic character throughout - that was what I hoped to accomplish. Willow definitely played a huge role, too.

Anya's return is definitely of the good - and being back in Sunnydale should be interesting, I hope. Hope you enjoy part 3!

Title: Lives Continued (Life's Chronicles Part 3)
Author: Tarafied4Life (Heather)
Spoilers: Pretty much everything.
Rating: PG-13 to NC-17
Disclaimer: They're not mine but if anyone wants to give them to me, I'll take them.
Summary: No apocalypses, just life.
Thanks: To everyone who's stuck with me, and to my wonderful, perfect gf - it's all for you!

Prologue - Oil and Water
Rating: R for language.
Author's Note: The following takes place roughly twelve hours after the end of Part 2.

“She still asleep, Red?”

Willow put a finger to her lips to shush the blonde ex-vampire. She motioned for him to follow, and they stepped outside of the bedroom the two witches had reclaimed.

“Yes…I know her mom said it would take a few hours, but I’m starting to worry a little. It’s been a really long time.”

“She’ll be okay. Her mum wouldn’t have just left her here if there was anything wrong.”

“I know. Doesn’t mean I won’t worry until she wakes up. But what about you and Angel? How are you settling in?”

“We feel bad takin’ up room in your house, but other than that we’re doin’ fine. Seriously, there’s a whole empty city out there – we can stay someplace else.”

“No way. The house feels so much better when it’s full – and there’s lots of room. If you and Angel take Buffy’s and Dawn’s old bedrooms, Anya said she’d like a spot in the basement – actually, I think the bed’s still there from before.”

“Ah, my old haunt. Should I go and take down the chains that were hanging there when we left, or...”

“Please do.”

“Where is the little bit, anyway?”

“She went to hit the grocery store – see if there was any food in it when it came back. If not, I’m thinking we can hit Giles’ house and grab his car, take a short drive to someplace close.” She sighed. “Spike, I’m…really scared.”

“’Bout what, in particular?”

“Anya. I don’t know…what to say to her, really. I mean, she’s my daughter, but she’s 18 now. Dawn’s age – and I’ve barely seen her, not to mention that she’s not much younger than me – how can she look at me like a mother?”

“Whoa…calm down a little, first of all. She’s yours, Willow – you feel it, and I know she does too. She grew up with Tara’s mum, and she doesn’t seem like the type to let the kid get a big head. She’s watched you – said so herself – and she’ll listen to you. As far as talking to her – there’s no great mystery there, just talk to her. She’s new to living down here, and she’ll have a lot of questions. Answer them – you and Tara can teach her everything she’ll need to know about life, and with you for teachers she’ll become a great person.”

“Thanks, Spike. You know, for somebody so who’s still pretty new to being human again, you’re getting pretty good at it.”

“I’ve walked this earth for a long time – and I’ve met some people who have taught me a lot about what humanity means. You, Tara, Buffy, Fred Burkle – I’ve walked with giants. Anything I know about being human I’ve learned from the bunch of you. That’s how I know you’ll be so great with your kid.”

Willow was about to reply when she heard Tara stirring in the bedroom. Spike headed downstairs to remove the chains he’d mentioned.

“Mmm…Willow?”

“I’m here, baby.” She rushed back into the room and swept her up into a tight hug. “How are you feeling?”

“Kind of headachy – hey…why does this look like our room at Buffy’s house?”

“Probably because it is.”

“Huh?”

“The Powers decided to pay back Buffy for everything she’s done by granting her one wish.”

“And she wished for this?”

“Not actually. She…sort of let me wish instead. I wished for Sunnydale to be resurrected – I wanted to come back home. Are you okay with that?”

“Of course I am – I love this house. But…” her brow furrowed. After a silent moment, she shook her head and smiled. “Something tickled my brain for a second, there. Gone now, though.”

Anya entered the bedroom, catching Willow by surprise. “Mom! You’re awake!” She hugged Tara, and Willow clenched inside as she waited for her reaction.

Tara’s expression was one of absolute confusion. “Uh…hi?”

“You don’t recognize your own daughter?”

“Anya?” Tara’s baffled look was replaced by a warm smile. “Good morning, my baby! When did you get back? It’s been so long! The last time I saw you, you were…leaving…or you’d left…where did you go?”

“To stay with Grandma, remember?”

“Right. And you’re older now because…”

“Time is different there.”

“Right.” Tara embraced her tightly. “We’ve got so much to talk about!” She yawned. “But first, I think I need to sleep a little bit more.”

“No problem, Mom. Mama and I will just be downstairs.”

Willow gave her a quick kiss and allowed Anya to lead her out of the room and down the stairs, out of earshot.

“Okay, what the heck was that? How does she know that you’re…you?”

“The same way I know she’s her – I just know. But to answer what I think you’re asking, the reason she’s not asking more questions has a lot to do with the spell. The mind reacts oddly to big gaps in memory, and the spell just kind of glosses over them and convinces the target that they really do remember the missing parts – she thinks she remembers me leaving, but no details at all. It’ll hold up pretty well unless anyone asks her too many questions she can’t answer…and the nice part is, you don’t have to lie to her. Of course, when the nightmares start, it’ll be harder, but…”

“But we’ll deal with them when they come. So, any luck at the grocery store?”

“Not really.” She indicated some bags next to the front door. “I got some non-perishable stuff, but most of the stock looks like it was there when the city collapsed – a little past expiry date.”

“Well, we kind of expected that, right? We’ll get Giles’ car and take a drive after – did you see Angel outside? I want to see if he’s interested in coming along.”

“He’s where he’s been since we got here – out on the lawn, staring at the sky. I know he’s new to this whole thing, but seriously, he’s going to have a massive sunburn if he’s out there much longer. Where’s Spike?”

“Downstairs, getting your room set up. Why?”

“No reason.”

Willow saw the blush creeping up from her collar and groaned. “Oh, goddess. How many teenagers in this house am I going to have to nurse through Spike crushes, anyway?”

“He just-“

“-Has cool hair and wears trenchcoats and stuff – I’ve heard it before.”

“Actually, I was just going to say he seems nice.”

Willow sighed and tousled Anya’s hair, prompting an indignant squeal. “He is nice, Anya, but he’s older than you – a lot older.”

“Not anymore. He’s just a person now – a couple of years older than me, if that.”

Willow bit back a sharp reply, not wanting to fight with the daughter she thought she’d lost on the same day they’d been reunited. “You’re a big girl, Anya, so I’m not going to coddle you, okay? Spike has had two epic loves – Drusilla, a vampire you fortunately never met, and Buffy. I don’t think he’ll all that interested in an eighteen year old girl.”

Anya looked about to argue the point for a moment, but stopped and nodded instead. “You’re probably right.”

“That’s my girl. Now, keeping that in mind, I’m sure he’d appreciate a hand downstairs.”

“Thanks, Mama!” She nearly fell down the stairs in her rush, and Willow shook her head.

“Kids,” she muttered as she went out to find Angel. He was exactly where Anya’d said he’d be, lounging on an old lawnchair from the neighbor’s garage, staring at the sky. “Come on,” she said teasingly. “You’ve seen the sun before. Not that exciting, is it?”

“Hmm? Oh, hi Willow. Yeah, I’ve seen it before, but it’s been a while – and I really never thought it would happen again.”

She sat cross-legged on the lawn beside his chair and smiled. “So, how does it feel to be a member of the human race again?”

“It’s great – the feeling’s more amazing than I’d hoped. But…”

“But? There’s a but?”

“I just always envisioned this day being a little different. I had visions of receiving my reward after all this time and walking right up to Buffy, in the daylight, and kissing her – and her kissing me, and starting the life together we never got to have. I told her when I saw her in L.A. that I was okay as long as Faith made her happy, but I think now I might have been lying a little bit. I’m not okay. All those years I fought for this, fought to be with her, and now I have my humanity and she’s with someone else.” He sighed. “It sounds petty after getting this wonderful gift, I know, but…”

She patted his arm. “It’s not petty – what you and Buffy had was…well, I’m not even sure I know how to describe it, and to tell you the truth I always had the same picture of this day in mind as you. But you’ve got to let her go, Angel. She’s happy, and she’s in love, and it’s not going to change just because you want it to.”

“You can be okay with her loving Faith, even after you left Rome to be away from her?”

“Well, yeah. Buffy always has been, and always will be, my very best friend. My needing to keep Tara away from Faith doesn’t have any bearing on the fact that Faith makes her happy. All I want is for her to be happy – all her life, she’s had this huge destiny hanging over her head, and I want her to know peace and love, with Faith or whoever she chooses.”

Angel shook his head. “You’re an amazing woman, Willow. I wish I could be as understanding.”

“Just try it – you might surprise yourself.”
[hr]
Tara rolled out of bed, stretching and yawning. Donning a robe over the faded pajamas she wore, she headed downstairs. The house seemed overly quiet, which she found an explanation for in Willow’s handwritten note on the kitchen counter.

Tara:

Hopefully you don’t have to read this – I’m hoping to be back before you wake, as I don’t want you to wake up alone. But if you are, then I’m gone to get Giles’ car and find a grocery store with Anya and Angel. If you’re hungry, there’s some food in the pantry, but nothing really good – we’ll be back with some better stuff. Spike’s around someplace if you need anything.

Love you so much!

Willow

Tara smiled and folded the note, putting it in the pocket of her robe. She investigated the pantry and found a box of cereal bars, munching one as she walked around the house. She smiled wider with each room she entered, thinking back on all the good times she’d shared in this house, with all the friends who were more family than her own. As she passed the front door, she was jolted by a vision of a scene she couldn’t place – standing with Willow, looking uncomfortable and passing halting small talk with her. She thought for a moment, but no memory of the scene came back to her. She shrugged and made a mental note to ask Willow about it when she came home. Walking into the kitchen, she nearly ran headlong into Spike.

“Bloody hell!” he cried, putting his arms out to steady her before she tripped and fell. “You move quieter than I do!”

“Sorry, Spike.”

“Not a worry. How are you feeling?”

“Really good – my headache’s gone, so that makes things a little easier. How are you?”

He smiled, almost sadly. “I’m doing great, thanks.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing – just thinking.”

“Penny for them?”

“Nothin’ big, just thinking how you and Red were always decent to me, even when nobody else was. I always appreciated that you talked to me like a person, Tara, even if I never told you. The rest of them – Giles, Xander, Riley, even Buffy and Dawn sometimes – never treated me like you two did.”

“We didn’t do anything special, Spike.”

“But you did – you both did. Even now – ever since I turned human again, I kind of felt like part of the scenery back in Rome – no-one ever talked to me, unless they needed something or wanted to hear stories about my bad old days. Only you and Willow ever really had conversations with me. That’s why I appreciate your bringing me along with you here – it’ll be nice to have someone to talk to.”

Tara, moved by the ex-vampire’s heartfelt words, hugged him close. “Always, Spike. You’re family – never forget it. I always knew you understood how I felt – one of the last to join the Scooby gang, and always a little bit of an outsider. I’m glad to have you here, and any time you want to talk – any time – just come and find me. Things are going to get nuts around here, between Anya and the twins on the way, but I’ll always have time to talk to you – Willow and I both will."

Spike disengaged from the hug and smiled at her. “Thanks. Anything I can do for you?”

“Nope, just giving myself the tour. If you want some food, there’s…well, not much, but there’s some stuff in the pantry.

“I’m good, thanks – I’ll wait for the real food. Want to come down and take a look at what I’ve got set up for Anya?”

“Sure!”
[hr]
“It looks wonderful, Spike.”

“I know it’s not much – I’ll go out and hit a home improvement place soon, get some lumber and stuff and finish it right, but at least she’s got some privacy now. And I took down the chains from my days down here – put ‘em in the storage space under the stairs if you and Will want ‘em.”

“What would we need-“ she laughed softly, punching him on the arm as she saw the grin on his face. “You’ve got issues, Spike.”

“Many.”

From above, they heard the front door open and the sound of footsteps crossing the kitchen floor. “Tara?” came a voice through the still-open basement door.

“Down here, Will!”

“You’re awake!” she exclaimed, rushing downstairs to hug her.

“Yes – I’m like that, sometimes, when I’m not asleep.” She grinned.

“Ha, ha,” replied Willow, sticking her tongue out. “Are you hungry?”

“Starving – feels like I haven’t eaten for a week.”

“Come on up, then, and see what we picked up – I got some of your favorites. You coming, Spike?”

“No thanks. I’m going to finish up down here.” As they ascended the stairs, he sat back heavily on Anya’s bed, a lone tear escaping his eye as he watched Tara’s light, easy manner and cheered silently that her bad memories were no longer crosses she had to bear. He could tell just by the way she carried herself what a difference it made, and he was overjoyed for her and Willow. The two had been through more than most people could imagine, and they deserved every bit of happiness they could get and more. He vowed silently to himself that he would die before he let that happiness be spoiled – by anyone or anything.
[hr]
“Look, Faith, it didn’t mean anything!”

“Bullshit! You said ‘I don’t blame Tara.’ Like, ‘I know Faith does, ‘cause she’s a bitch, but I don’t.’”

“Well, first of all, I don’t blame her! That’s why I said it! And you may be a bitch sometimes, Faith, but you’re my bitch! Why do you think I’m still here? Because I love you so damn much I stayed with you instead of going back home, with my best friend.”

Faith appeared to sober for a moment, but then her face hardened again. “Well, what about Angel? You didn’t exactly push him off.”

“Oh, for god’s sake…did I go home with Angel? No, I’m here with you – so stay calm. Now let’s go home, okay?”

“Go ahead, B, I’m just going to wander for a while. I’ll be home soon.”

Buffy sighed. “Okay – don’t be too late, all right?”

But Faith was already gone.
[hr]
And here endeth the prologue. Sorry again for the shortness, chapter 1 should be ready in a week or so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:22 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Yahoo! Part 3 begins :applause :applause

No need to apologize for the shortness. It's a wonderful start and we kittens can be patient. :kitty Yep. That's us, patient.

Quote:
“I’ve walked this earth for a long time – and I’ve met some people who have taught me a lot about what humanity means. You, Tara, Buffy, Fred Burkle – I’ve walked with giants. Anything I know about being human I’ve learned from the bunch of you. That’s how I know you’ll be so great with your kid.”

Every once in awhile I get a soft spot in my heart for Spike. He honestly does have the heart of a poet (even if his fledgling attempts were bloody awful). He is an observer of the human race and, when given the chance, can shed light on the human condition. I'm liking newly-human Spike very much.

Quote:
Willow saw the blush creeping up from her collar and groaned. “Oh, goddess. How many teenagers in this house am I going to have to nurse through Spike crushes, anyway?”

Ah, so is the the "other" love interest you mentioned for Anya? Or just a teenage crush? It's cute though. Poor Willow. How to deal with your 18-year-old, crushed out daughter when the last time you saw her she was still in diapers? Quite an adjustment, I suspect.

Quote:
As she passed the front door, she was jolted by a vision of a scene she couldn’t place – standing with Willow, looking uncomfortable and passing halting small talk with her. She thought for a moment, but no memory of the scene came back to her. She shrugged and made a mental note to ask Willow about it when she came home.

So, did the tabula rasa spell remove Tara's bad memories from both dimensions? I can't remember if the Buffy-birthday scene happened in both dimensions (one where Tara died and one where everyone moved to Cleveland). Guess I should go back a read Part 1 again :-D :-D

Great set-up for the next part of the journey. Much to do here. How much will Willow tell Tara about the past and the pains she can't remember? When are the twins due? Many interesting family dynamics: 2 moms, infant twins with an 18-year-old sibling that neither mom raised. Much angst and strife to follow, I'm sure. Will Buffy and Faith get past this rough patch? Or will Angel get his wish?

Looking forward to the next chapter.
Michelle

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Part 3 started 2/9)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:18 am 
5. Willowhand

A nice update. It's good to see them getting settled back in Sunnydale. I think that Willow and Tara are gonna have some fun times with Anya, especially if her crush on Spike continues. All I can say is "Run for cover - the Mommies are in protective parent mode."

Looks like things are not going smoothly in the Buffy/Faith household. Can't wait to see what the future has planned for them.

More soon please! :bounce

Caz

"I'm a bloodsucking fiend! Look at my outfit!" Willow - Doppelgangland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:55 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Yay, part 3! I'm glad you started where you did - we didn't need to see them traveling to Sunnydale, but we did get to see Tara waking up and we'll get to see them settling in with Anya and everyone else. I have to say that even though I like Buffy and Faith together in this story, I always have had a soft spot in my heart for Buffy and Angel, and now that he's human, it's sad that they're not together. What will become of them, especially since Faith still seems to have a chip on her shoulder? There's so much to be worked out, and I'm glad you'll be taking us along for that ride.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:58 am 
3. Flaming O

I really like the tone you've captured in this update - hopeful but still a little unsettled. Things seemed to be wrapped up fairly neatly in the last update, but now we see life's not that simple. Angel's still pining for Buffy; Anya's got a crush on Spike, Faith's insecure; Willow's concerned about her parenting abilities.

I picture the scene in "Once More, With Feeling" during the last song - "Understand, we'll go hand in hand, but we'll walk alone in fear. Where do we go from here?"

They're committed to each other as family, but they're not sure how to relate to each other yet. I'm looking forward to the next update.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:51 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hi, All. Another short(ish) update, largely conversation-based. Not too boring, though, I hope.

mole - I'm glad kittens can be patient - part 3 is going to take me a while, I think. I've always had a big soft spot for Spike, myself - as an outsider he knew a lot more about the gang then they knew about themselves, and no-one gave him credit for that. Plus, I'm a sucker for bad poetry. :-D As for whether he's Anya's love interest or not...well, that's going to take a while to shake out. And it will be a big adjustment for Willow, Tara, and certainly Anya dealing with their new relationship.

You can read part 1 again if you like, but I'll just tell you here since that's easier - yep, the Buffy birthday would have happened in either dimension.

caz - Yeah, the Anya/Tara/Willow relationship might be fun. :-D And the protective parent thing is only going to get worse...as far as Buffy and Faith, that's going to be a complicated one.

SallyMcFine - I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a soft spot for Buffy and Angel - but I'm honestly not sure how that's going to shake out yet. Thanks for staying along for the ride.

Grayson - I love the comparison to "where do we go from here?" - that's really the question, for all of them. Things didn't wrap up into a neat little package, there's still a lot of questions. Thanks for reading!

Chapter 1 - This could get messy...
Author's Note: The following takes place four months after the prologue.

“I suppose we have to do this, right?”

“Yes, Will. I know it’s a horrible fate, but you’ve got to face it. This baby shower isn’t going to happen without you. Everyone’s already waiting downstairs.”

“Okay, okay. Let me get dressed first, and I’ll be right there.” She looked down at her expanding middle. “Goddess, I’m huge already. You’re going to need a flatbed to get me to the hospital.”

Tara smiled, planting a kiss on the bulge in question. “I don’t think so. Besides, now you know how I felt.”

“So the babies get a kiss and I don’t?” Willow pouted. Tara leaned in close and grabbed her lower lip between her teeth, nibbling it gently. Willow reached around and ran her hands up and down Tara’s back, deepening the kiss until she pulled back gasping.

“Willow…no time. Later, I promise.”

As if to prove her point, Anya’s voice called from downstairs. “Hurry up, you two! Mom, there’s someone…or something at the door, says he knows you.”

“Be right there!” Tara called as she composed herself. She walked down the stairs and laughed out loud when she saw who waited at the door. “Clem?”

“Hi, Tara. Hope you don’t mind me dropping by, but when I heard Sunnydale was back I thought I’d check it out – and then I got wind of you and Willow having this little shindig, thought I’d make an appearance. I brought snacks!” He held up two bags of chips, and she couldn’t help but hug him.

“Come in, Clem. Everybody’s in the living room, we’re just waiting for Willow.” She took the bags of chips and headed for the kitchen. “Can I get you anything?”

“A soda, if you’ve got one.”

“Sure.”

Clem walked into the crowded living room, catching a conversation between Ilyria and Wesley that was halfway over.

“But I don’t understand,” she insisted. “Why have a party to celebrate the bathing of an infant? Particularly an infant not born yet?”

“Ilyria, that’s not what a baby shower-“ he stopped as he caught sight of Clem. “Can we…help you?”

“Clem, you bugger!” Spike exclaimed, walking over to shake his hand. “Didn’t think we’d see you around here again!”

“Me either. When the town turned into a hole in the ground, I didn’t really think coming back would be on my agenda – but then it reappeared, so I thought I’d hit my old stomping grounds. How did that happen, anyway?”

“Long story – tell you later.” He pointed to Dawn. “You remember the little bit, of course?”

“Of course! Dawn, you look all grown up!”

“Well, I’d feel more grown up if he’d quit calling me little bit.”

“Would niblet be better?”

“Quiet, Spike. Good to see you again, Clem.”

Spike took him around the room, introducing him to the people he hadn’t met, and letting him say hi to the people he had. Once that was done, Clem grabbed a chair from the kitchen and took a seat as Spike grabbed a piece of the floor. Anya came bouncing in from the kitchen and sat close enough to Spike that their shoulders were touching, giving him a little smile. He frowned and shuffled away a few inches, but she followed him, so he stopped trying. “Where’s your beau?” he asked Buffy. “Thought she’d be here.”

“She…uh…wasn’t feeling very well. She didn’t think she could handle the flight from Rome, so she’s going to stay home and get well.”

Spike nodded, the look in his eyes telling her he knew exactly why Faith wasn’t there, and she flushed and looked away. Tara entered the room and handed Clem a soda before settling in on the sofa. She shot a warning look at Anya, who moved a small distance from Spike. Buffy, grateful for the interruption, smiled at her. “So where’s the pregnant lady, anyway?”

“She’s on her way – just getting dressed.” As if on cue, Willow rounded the bottom of the stairs and walked into the room, accepting hugs from everyone before taking the spot next to Tara.

“Hi, everybody. I’m so glad everybody could-“ she noticed Faith’s absence and quickly amended, “almost everybody could make it!”

“Faith sends along her congratulations,” Buffy muttered.

“Thanks. So, what’re we doing?”

“How about we start with the presents?” Angel asked. “I want to see what you think of…what I got.”

“No complaints from me,” Willow smiled. “But what about everybody else?”

A chorus of agreement went through the room, and Tara got up to bring her one. The first package she grabbed was from Buffy, and she handed it to Willow. She tore it open to reveal two pairs of footie pajamas, both pink. Tara stared at them, images flashing through her head faster than she could see them, and she staggered backwards. Fortunately Spike was on his feet in seconds and grabbed her before she could fall.

“Tara? What’s wrong?”

“Will…I don’t know, my head…”

“Come over and sit down. Anya, can you get your Mom a glass of water and some aspirin?”

“Sure.”

“Are you okay, Tara?” Spike asked with a worried expression.

“I think so. I don’t know what happened – it was like somebody playing a movie on high-speed in my head. But it hurt.”

“Better now?”

“I think so – just a headache.” She gratefully accepted a glass of water and swallowed a few pills. “Okay…can someone else do present duty?”

“On it!” Buffy replied before anyone could move. She grabbed the next package and handed it to Willow as Tara settled back into the couch, rubbing her temples. “Hang on a sec…” Tara interrupted before she could open it. “Now that I think of it, there was something I wanted to ask everybody – does anyone remember a time that I would have been standing at the front door here, talking with Willow and looking really uncomfortable? It came back to me the first day we were in the house, but I forgot all about it.”

Everyone exchanged a quick look, but no-one answered – until Clem spoke up. “Sure, that was- OW!” He cried as Spike kicked his shin. Everyone held their breath as Spike looked intently at him, trying to silently tell him to keep quiet. Finally a light of understanding shone in Clem’s eyes and he turned back to Tara. “Actually, I was thinking of someone else. No, I don’t know when that would have been.”

She stared at him for a long moment, then sat back and rubbed her temples. “Must be something I imagined. Sorry – go ahead and open your present, Will.”
[hr]
Once the presents were opened, including Angel’s gag gift of a baby bottle filled with water and red food coloring with an attached note reading “liquid diet, right?”, everyone helped themselves to food and drinks, breaking into smaller groups to chat while Willow wandered among them, catching bits of all the conversations.

“So Dawn,” Tara asked the younger Summers, “how’s school?”

“It’s so great – all my professors are so amazing, and I’ve learned so much in my first year!”

“That’s great. So you’ve picked a major and everything now?”

“Math, definitely. Minor in physics.”

“Are you thinking about grad school yet? I know you’re not even done one year yet , but still…”

“Definitely – my calculus prof is an advisor for the math grad students, and he’s totally on me already to apply.”

“Well, just make sure you decide what you want to do, and not him.”

“Of course! What about you and Willow – how’s things?”

“So wonderful,” Tara smiled. “There’s five months until the twins are due, and Anya’s starting at UC Sunnydale in the fall – of course, she had no high school transcripts, but Willow took care of that easily enough.”

“What about – uh, a birth certificate and stuff? I mean, I know you’ve got your one from Italy, but that might raise more questions than answers, right?”

“True enough. Willow hacked…well, a whole bunch of records, actually, so as far as anyone can tell we adopted her last year. Makes things easier.”

“How’s she adjusting?”

“Pretty well – we’ve had some disagreements, but for the most part she’s a good kid. Now if we could just cure her of this Spike obsession.”

“She’s still crushing on him, huh? Buffy was telling me all about that on the way here.”

“Well, Dawnie, I seem to remember another teenager who crushed on Spike.”

“I know, I know. I’m never going to live that down, am I?”

“Likely not. How’s your sister?”
[hr]
“Terrible,” Buffy moaned.

“She’s still acting weird?”

“Oh, yeah. Ever since…well, you know, she hardly talks to me. She stays out all night, and I have no idea where she goes. And I can’t even say Angel’s name without her going off the deep end. Half the reason I call you at such weird times of the day is so I can talk without her listening in.”

“I’m so sorry, Buffy. I never meant to hurt what you two had together.”

“It’s not your fault, Will. If we can’t make it through this, maybe it was never meant to be. I hate to even think that, much less say it out loud, but I don’t know how to make things better if she won’t talk to me.”

“Again with the sorry. Large quantities of the sorry.”

“It would have come out sooner or later, Will – if it wasn’t this, it would have been something else. I just hope this time apart is going to be good for us, help her gain a little perspective. ‘Cause this has to stop.”
[hr]
“What has to stop?”

“This little crush of yours. I can’t have you mooning around all the time – it makes your moms a little upset, and the last thing I need is two pissed-off witches, one of who comes complete with pregnant lady hormones.”

“Don’t worry about them – they’ve got nothing to do with this.”

“There is no ‘this,’ little bit. I don’t want to be rude - which is why I thought we should talk in your room - and I know puppy love can be a powerful feeling, but you don’t know me at all, and you sure as hell don’t want to be involved with me. I’m your friend, and your moms’ friend, but I’m not going to get mixed up with you like that.”

“Come on, Spike! Don’t you think I’m pretty?”

“’Course I do – with your parents, how could you not be? Doesn’t mean I’m going to date you. You’re eighteen years old, and I’m better than a hundred – minor age difference.”

“But that was when you were a vampire! I mean, how old were you when you got turned?”

“Uh…twenty, I guess.”

“Then you’re only two years older than me, three if you include the time since you turned human again!”

“Forget it, Anya. You’re not going to win this on a technicality.”

She looked at her feet for a second, then up at him again. “Okay, how about this way?” She stepped in closer and kissed him firmly. Feeling the heat of her body and inhaling the scent of her perfume, he responded to the kiss for a brief moment, intensifying it, before his brain caught up and he pulled back.

“Damn it! Anya, you can’t just-“ was all he managed before she kissed him again, and he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into him.

When they were both out of breath, he pulled back again. “Shit. I know better than this.”
[hr]
“Better than what, Angel?”

“Wes…didn’t see you there. I just keep thinking about Buffy, and her trouble with Faith, and how it might give me an opening.”

“Angel, you can’t be serious. She’s hurting and alone, and you’re going to use that to try and score points with her?”

“I know, I know, I’m a horrible person. But isn’t this just a sign that she and Faith aren’t meant to be?”

“Even if it were, that’s for her to decide, not you.”

Angel sighed. “You’re right, I know, you’re right. How are you doing? How’re things with Ilyria?”

“Good – I’ve taken her all over the world these past four months, teaching her about human history and culture, and even though she still looks down on most of it I think she’s starting to fit in nicely.”

“Do you love her, Wes?”

He stared at her where she stood near the front door talking to Clem for a long moment before he replied. “That’s…a complicated question. Sometimes she’s so much like Fred – a little bit naïve, filled with childlike curiosity – that I want to take her in my arms. But then I remember who she really is, and that she’d break me in half if I ever tried that.”

“I don’t know that she would, Wes. The way she looks at you sometimes…I’m not sure. But to switch topics for a second – what’s the latest on Wolfram & Hart?”

“The destruction of the Senior Partners seems to have dealt them a massive blow – I don’t think they’ll ever recover. Three of their offices have closed, including the L.A. branch, and their clients are fleeing in droves. And that’s just in this dimension – I imagine the damage is worse in others.”

“Glad to hear. Now back to your love life-“
[hr]
“I don’t have a love life. I barely have time for a life.”

“Come on – not one of those German boys wants to go out with the pretty American girl?”

“Well, I didn’t say no-one’s asked – just nobody I’m interested in.”

“Holding out for someone in particular?”

“Well, there’s a guy in my calculus class I wouldn’t say no to, but he doesn’t seem interested.”

“Have you asked him?”

“No…too stressful.”

“You’ve gotta try if you want him, Dawn. The worst he’ll do is say no.”

“I guess. Or maybe I’d drop dead of embarrassment, you know? Drop to my knees melodramatically and yell-“
[hr]
“Oh, bloody hell.” Spike paced the room as Anya lay stretched out on her bed watching him. “Oh, bloody hell.”

“Spike, relax.”

“Relax? Relax? Sod a dog, I just…what the hell is wrong with my head? If Tara and Willow ever find out what we just did, I’m going to be leaving this house a newt – or something less pleasant.”

“So we don’t tell them – calm down, Spike.”

He ran his hands through his hair, muttering to himself. “Shit! What the hell is wrong with me? Oh, god…”

“Spike, sit down before you have a stroke, okay?” She reached under her bed and pulled out a square object that glowed with power. “Look what I got at the magic shop the other day. Isn’t it pretty?” He didn’t answer, just stared at the object in shock. “Spike?” she asked. “Are you okay? You look like-“
[hr]
“-you’ve seen a ghost.”

Angel didn’t reply, and Wesley followed his gaze toward the window, through which was visible a badly dressed man with a bowler’s hat. Angel jumped up and ran outside, grabbing the man and pulling him out of sight.

“Whistler? What the hell are you doing here?”

“We’ve gotta talk, Angel.”

“Uh-uh. We all know what happened the last time we talked.”

“This is important – it’s about the blonde one - not Buffy, the other one.”

“Tara?”

“That’s the girl.”

Angel pushed him roughly against the side of the house. “Talk fast – and make it good.”
[hr]
That's all for now, folks! Sorry for the lack of action...hope it didn't drag too much. Should be another in a week or so. Thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 2/13)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:51 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Well, you sure know how to leave a girl hanging. I wonder what Whistler is talking about.

I don't think removing Tara's memories was such a good idea. I wouldn't wnt to be Willow or one of the others when she works out what's happened, even if it was her own Mom that did it.

Looking forward to more.

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:54 am 
5. Willowhand

OH SHAT!

That was one mad-crazy update!

But I have to finish getting ready for class, but I'll leave better feedback tonight.

Yay update!

"The Hammer is my Penis," Captain Hammer, 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog.'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:28 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Heather, this update was superb! You used a great technique, and of course I don't know what it's called, but the way you ended each scene with one line and transitioned into the next scene with that same line, or a variation or continuation, was inspired and made this update flow and have a sense of fun and lightness even though a lot of the subject matter was serious and slightly dark.

Anya certainly is naughty. Does she take after her namesake a bit? :lol What glowy box did she find at the Magic Box, I wonder? And Tara getting back her memories - well, it will have to happen eventually. I just hope that she can deal with the trauma of remembering what she did.

LOL also about Angel's gag gift of the bottle with red-colored water. Boo on Faith for not talking to Buffy, and boo on Angel for thinking he could use or manipulate the situation to his advantage. But YAY for this chapter and the ones that will follow!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:53 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hey again, All. Sorry this one's a little later than I thought, but my muse has been kind of worthless lately. And apologies in advance if this chapter's a little weaker than others - see above excuse.

spells42 - Yeah, I do seem to have a penchant for the cliffhangers, don't I? Sorry about that... I agree that the reprecussions if/when Tara discovers her memory loss will be bad, but remember - if the spell had worked as it was intended, she'd have lost all her memories - so it's a toss-up. Thanks for reading!

Missocki - Glad you enjoyed!

SallyMcFine - I have no idea what that technique's called either, but it seemed to work - glad you liked it. Anya, Anya...she does seem to have a naughty streak in her - her relationship with Spike has moved a little beyond crush, obviously - maybe she does take after her namesake. :-D As for the glowy box - read on!

It is going to be difficult if/when Tara gets her memories back - it's hard to predict how she could react to that. I second the boos on Angel and Faith, and I'm glad the chapters are rating yays and not boos! Thanks for sticking with the tale!

Chapter 2 - Counting Up, Counting Down
Author's Note: The section of this chapter all in italics is flashback - just setting it apart from the rest.

Whistler shrugged Angel off and straightened his clothes. “Ease up on the threads. Not cheap.”

“So they just look it, then? Never mind, I’m not discussing fashion with you. You said you had something to tell me about Tara, so tell me.”

“You know, for a guy I met in an alley eating rats, you’re a little pushy.” At Angel’s warning look, Whistler cleared his throat. “Okay, but I haven’t got a lot of details, okay? Just so you know in advance. The Powers sent me as a favor to her – they still kinda owe her for the whole apocalypse thing.”

“Sent you to do what? Annoy me?”

“Warn you. Someone’s doing their damndest to restore her memories – has she had any visions lately?”

“Yeah, but that’s normal – her mother said she’d-“

“No, no, no. Angel, she told you nightmares were normal. Unless she’s been sleepwalking, those weren’t nightmares.”

“Okay…so who’s responsible?”

“Don’t know. I told you, not a lot of details.”

“What about why? Do you at least know that?”

“Sure, that part I know. It’s all about that little mojo she worked to destroy hell’s army – whoever’s behind this figures if she can remember how she did it, they can get the knowledge from her and figure out how to reverse it. Their attempts to restore her memories are what’s bringing on these visions.”

“The way Willow explained it to us, it was the essences of the scythe that let her do the spell – and the scythe is well-hidden, take my word for it. How could anyone else reverse the spell without it?”

“Don’t know that either. But you know as well as I do, Angel – with magic, there’s always a loophole somewhere.”

“So where do I find the person or thing behind this?”

“Again, I don’t know. The only thing I’ve got on the information front is to check out the Magic Box. Whoever’s running it now is selling some stuff with serious power – and not seeming to care who they sell to. Oh, and one other thing – be very careful around her now. I don’t know how much prompting it’s going to take to get her memories back, so you need to choose your words carefully – and try not to respond at all if she asks about those visions…just blow them off like they’re nothing.”

“I’m going to make whoever’s doing this pay – you know that, right?”

“Of course I do – that’s why I volunteered to be the messenger. I knew you’d get it if I talked to you personally.” Tipping his hat, Whistler began to walk toward the street.

“Wait!” called Angel.

“What?”

“The Magic Box – what kind of stuff are they selling?”

“Well, how about-“
[hr]
“An Orlon’s Window? Are you completely loony? You bring that into this house?”

“What’s an Orlon’s Window?”

“That trinket you’re holding – put it down, right now. Carefully.”

“What’s the big deal?”

“Anya, if that ever broke in here – an Orlon’s Window is used in spells to alter reality – but more importantly, it’s big in memory manipulation. If it broke in here, all your mum’s memories – all of them – would come back to her in a heartbeat.”

Anya turned white and placed the box on the ground as gently as she could, her hands trembling. “God, I…didn’t know. I’m sorry, Spike.”

“Not your fault, bit – the guy who sold it to you should have known better when you brought it to the till.”

“I didn’t. Bring it to the till, I mean. I was just sort of browsing, and he walked up and handed it to me. Said the glow brought out my eyes, or some cheesy line like that.”

“Wait…he gave it to you?”

“Well, I paid for it, but yeah.”

“Why the hell would anybody…is it okay if I take that, Anya?”

“Sure – I don’t want it anywhere near me.”

“Okay – I’m just going to go get Angel and take a little trip over to the Magic Box. Keep a close eye on your moms, okay?”

“Sure. And Spike?”

“Yeah?”

“That was nice. I can’t wait for next time.”

“There’s not going to be a next time, there shouldn’t have been a first…bugger,” he muttered at the knock on the door. Wrapping herself in a sheet, Anya motioned for him to answer it. He shook his head and opened the door a crack to reveal Angel.

“Spike – we’ve got to check out the Magic Box – there’s something funny going on over there.”

“You mean like the Orlon’s Window the shopkeep gave Anya? I’m all over it. Give me a minute, and I’ll join you downstairs.”

“He gave her an Orlon’s Window? Pass it here, and I’ll sneak it out with me.”

Spike turned to grab it, and Angel pushed the door open to follow him – and then stopped cold as he caught sight of the sheet-clad Anya. “Oh, hell. Spike, what did you do? Tell me you didn’t.”

Spike handed him the box and pushed him out the door. “Never mind. Just get downstairs.”

The door closed and Angel found himself alone in the hall. “Is it just something about girls named Anya that makes him go insane? God, I hope Tara and Willow never find out about this.”
[hr]
Once they’d made their excuses to the group, Angel and Spike headed out on foot for the Magic Box.

“So Spike – why was Anya naked?”

“Bugger off.”

“You didn’t actually-“

“I said bugger off!”

“You slept with her? Dammit, Spike, she’s 18! What the hell were you thinking?”

“I wasn’t thinking! I took her upstairs to talk to her in private, tell her this crush she had on me had to stop, and next thing I know she’s kissing me. And then one thing led to another, and that was it!”

“One thing led to another? Spike, that’s pathetic. I hope you’ve got a better excuse than that to give Willow and Tara.”

“What? You told them?”

“Of course not – they’d have killed me too. But I’d lay odds they’ll find out sooner or later. Hey, we’re here.”

“Better get fangy.”

Angel strained for a moment to change his face before his brain caught up. “Son of a…how many times have you done that to me now?”

“At least a dozen. And you fall for it every time! That’s what makes it so much fun.”
[hr]
Four Months Earlier:

“Chaos: I remain, as ever, thy servant. Free me from this place that I may continue my service to you.”

He’d made the same prayer every night for five years, and was well beyond expecting an answer. But that night, one came nonetheless. A voice, loud and strong, sounded in his head.

“Why do you beseech me? I have seen your failed attempts to glorify my name and tilt the scales, and have not been well pleased. Why do you believe yourself worthy of my aid?”

“Because I am ever loyal to you. Tell me what you require of me, and I shall perform the task.”

The voice was silent long enough that he worried it had departed. But it spoke again. “Very well. There is a task I will require of you – but first you must escape. Here is what you will do…”

[hr]
The Magic Box door was locked, and Angel kicked it in without a second thought. He and Spike entered, ready for a fight, but found the store deserted, the lights off and no-one behind the counter. The few items on the shelves were dime-store trinkets, so it was obvious that the proprietor was keeping the powerful items elsewhere.

After a few minutes of ransacking the building, however, they’d found no trace of the items nor the person responsible for selling them. Disappointed, they left the store and headed for home, passing by a familiar spot on the way – one that looked too busy to be abandoned.

“Angel! Spike!” Willy called as they entered Willy’s Place. “It’s been ages! What can I getcha? Got some sweet pigs’ blood in yesterday – good stuff.”

“Uh…no thanks, Willy. We’re kind of off the liquid diet.”

“So it’s true then – all those rumors I been hearing – you two are of the beating hearts’ club again? Awesome! How about a beer then? Some chicken wings?”

“Yeah,” said Spike. “Give me a shot of-“ he caught Angel’s look. “Never mind. Just wondering if you’ve heard anything about the bloke running the Magic Box.”

Willy leaned in a little closer to talk without the rest of the bar listening in. “Not much, guys. He’s an out of towner – course, most of the folks in New Sunnydale are out of towners, but that’s another story. He’s human, apparently, but he keeps himself pretty well hidden – nobody knows where he holes up, they just know he’s passing out powerful objects like playthings over there – and everybody wants something.”

“When is the place open?”

“Nobody knows. He doesn’t keep standard hours – just seems to be open when someone he wants to talk to wants to talk to him.”

“Does this guy have a name, Willy?”

“He does, but it doesn’t make sense to me – the name he’s using, I’m pretty sure the original owner’s pushin’ up daisies.”

“What’s he calling himself?”

“Demon crowd says his name’s Lindsey.”
[hr]
“It’s not him, Angel. There’s no way. Wherever Tara sent him, he wasn’t coming back – if he even survived the trip.”

“But what if it is him? He’s done enough damage to us, who knows what he could pull off this time – especially if he’s arming the demons with magic?”

“It’s not him. But whoever it really is, we’ve got to find him. Any thoughts on where to go for another lead?”

“No,” Angel seethed. “We’re going to have to wait for whoever’s running the shop to show himself.” He pulled the Orlon’s Window from his jacket. “What do we do with this?”

“Just break it. We’re far enough from the house it won’t hurt anything, and it’s safer than leaving the bloody thing around for someone to find it.”

“Got it.” With a one-handed motion, he threw the fragile object at the ground, where it exploded in light. “That ought to do it.”
[hr]
By the time they returned to the house, the shower was largely over, the guests gathering their things to leave. Anya took a long look at Spike as he entered, and he ducked his head and did his best to keep his distance from her.

“So Buffy,” asked Angel innocently, “You’re going to be in town for a few days?”

“A couple of weeks, actually. No sense flying all the way across the world and only staying a few days.”

“Where are you staying?”

“Good old Sunnydale Hotel. Cheap, but…well, cheap. Not that money’s an issue or anything, but there’s not really a Four Seasons in this town, you know?”

“Want to leave me your room number? I thought we could get together while you’re here…just talk, like old times, you know?”

“I’d like that. Ironically enough, you’ll find me in 314.”

“Call you tonight?”

“Sure.”

“Sorry we don’t have a spare room for you, Dawnie – I know you kind of wanted to stay here.”

“Don’t worry about it, Tara – I’ve got my own room at the hotel, so I’ll just hang out, order some pay per view porn and room service – I’m just kidding, Tara, honest. I don’t want room service. But we’re still on for a movie and shake date tomorrow, right?”

Tara smiled. “Of course. Call me in the morning and we’ll pick a show, okay?”

“Okay. Let’s go, Buffy! Nice to meet you, Anya.”

“You too, Dawn – I’ll call you, we can go shopping one day this week?”

“Sounds good!”

After a few more goodbyes, the gang left and the house’s inhabitants began cleaning up the remnants of the party. Once they were finished, Spike and Angel retreated upstairs while Tara made coffee for Willow and Anya.

“So, Spike – how much do we tell Willow?”

“Bugger all. This is our responsibility. Tara did all this for us – so it’s our turn to do for her. We’ll track whoever’s responsible for this down, and then we’ll take care of them. Nobody but us ever needs to know.”

“All right. But I still have no idea where to go next.”

Spike sighed. “No – I don’t either. But I think it’s best we stick close to Tara – chances are if this wanker’s trying to force her memories on her, he’ll have to get near her at some point.”

“That’s the best idea we’ve got, I guess. So, you want to go down and grab some coffee?”

“Not for me – ever since I turned human again, that stuff keeps me up all night. But let’s go and hang out with them, anyway.”
[hr]
“Willow?” Tara asked quietly as they got ready for bed.

“Mm-hm?”

She pulled on her nightgown and stared at the bed without replying for a moment, trying to form her question.

“What is it, baby?”

“What’s…Willow, what’s wrong with me?”

“What do you mean?”

“These flashes, or visions, or daydreams, or whatever the hell they are…the one I told you about today, and the one that happened when you opened your present…they weren’t the only ones I’ve had. They’re like movies in my head – scenes from my life that I can’t remember ever happening. But if they never happened, then what am I seeing? Am I going insane?”

“Hey, hey…of course not. I…I don’t know what’s happening, Tare, but we’ll find out, I swear. How often have they been happening? Why haven’t you said anything?”

“I didn’t want to worry you. At first they were just a few seconds, and I thought maybe I was just daydreaming or something, but now they’re getting longer and more detailed – and my head hurts after, like my brain’s trying to scream something at me that I can’t hear.”

Willow sat down on the bed and patted Tara’s side of it. “Come and lay down.” She did, and Willow took her in her arms – at least as much as her growing middle would allow. “I’ll talk to Angel and Spike tomorrow, maybe get them to give Wes a call and see if he’s ever heard of anything like this. For now, just try not to worry too much, okay?”

“I’ll try.” She rolled over to lie face to face. “How’s things in there?” she asked as she reached down and patted Willow’s middle.

“Good – I feel really good today. Thank you for organizing the shower, love – it was a lot of fun to see everyone.”

“You’re welcome, and I’m glad – I’m sorry Faith couldn’t make it, though.”

“Oh, that’s ok. I think she and Buffy are having some problems, so maybe it’s better.”

“Really? They seemed so perfect together – what’s happened between them?”

“Uh…I really don’t know. Buffy’s been kind of close-mouthed about the whole thing, and I don’t want to push.”

“Maybe I’ll ask Dawn tomorrow –I bet she knows something.”

“Well…maybe. Worth a try, anyway.”

Tara kissed her softly. “Thanks for making me feel a little better, Will. I Love You.”

“Love you too, Tara. Goodnight.” She lay there awake for a long time, listening to Tara’s breathing as it slowed and became more regular, trying to justify the lies she was telling. She’d swore once, when Tara finally took her back, that there would never be lies between them again. And yet, here she was at it again. But this was different – this was to keep her from the pain and the hurt…but wasn’t that the same thing she’d told herself before? “I can fix it – I know a spell,” she heard herself saying, and shuddered. Maybe it was a good thing Tara was going out with Dawn – she needed time to think.
[hr]
The next morning dawned bright and clear, a perfect California day. Tara had been awake for hours listening to Willow’s sleep-babble before she rolled over and her eyes fluttered open.

“Mmm…morning.”

“Morning, Will.” She leaned in to nab a quick kiss before she continued. “What can I get you for breakfast?”

Willow’s answer was interrupted by the phone. “Probably Dawnie – she always was an early riser,” Tara said apologetically as she grabbed it. “Hello?”

“This is Tara?”

“Yes…who’s this?”

“Doesn’t matter – there’s a name you need to hear.”

“Excuse me?”

“Lindsey.”

There was an audible click as the call ended, and Tara turned back to Willow. She opened her mouth to speak, only to shut it hard as a vision hit her hard enough to cause her jaw to clench involuntarily. Her tongue was caught between her teeth when they snapped together, and a fine spray of blood flew from her mouth as she grabbed her head and screamed with the pain. The bedroom door flew in as Angel and Spike crashed through it in time to see her fall into Willow’s arms and begin to sob, blood still trickling from her mouth.

“What’s wrong with me?” she managed. “Willow, please help me – please.”

“We’ll fix this, Tara,” Willow replied as her own tears hit the floor. “I swear, we’ll fix it.”
[hr]
It was almost an hour before Tara finally fell into a restless sleep. Willow crept quietly from the room and downstairs to the kitchen table, where Angel and Spike waited. “Okay,” she snarled, “what the hell is going on? Her mom said nightmares – not skull-splitting visions and pain.”

Spike looked at Angel for a moment, then looked down at the table. “It’s not normal,” he said. “Someone’s doing this to her.”

She froze and stared intently at him. “How’s that?”

“Well…yesterday, during the shower, Angel got a visit from a demon he knew – bloke named Whistler. Buffy met him, but I don’t know if she ever told you about him.” Willow shook her head. “Some kind of agent for the Powers, to balance good and evil. Anyway, he told Angel someone’s trying to restore her memory. Everything seemed to point to the Magic Box, so we headed there – when we left the party, that’s where we were going. We didn’t have any luck there, so we hit Willy’s Place. He told us whoever’s running the Magic Box calls himself Lindsey – and nobody knows where to find him. We were out of leads, so we came back here, thought we’d do some more digging today.”

Willow visibly tried to calm herself. “Why didn’t you tell me this yesterday?”

“We…well, we wanted to keep you out of it. You two have done enough, and I hoped we could figure it out without involving you.”

She patted his hand. “I appreciate it, Spike, I really do – but I’m involved now. So what does whoever’s doing this want, what pointed you to the Magic Box and is this really Lindsey?”

“Okay, slow down a little. What they want – that’d be to reverse the spell that destroyed Hell’s army. They figure if they can make Tara remember how she did the spell, they can get that knowledge from her and figure out how to reverse it. What led us to the Magic Box was partly what Whistler told Angel, and partly the Orlon’s Window that the owner sold Anya.”

“An Orlon’s Window? Where is it now?”

“Angel and I destroyed it – a long way from here, so no worries about it now. And as for if this is really Lindsey…I don’t see how it could be.”

“But you don’t know for sure.”

“No.”

“Okay, then. I’m going to do a protection spell for Tara, hopefully it’ll be enough to block whatever they’re casting to bring back her memories. She and Dawn are going out later, so maybe you two should shadow them in case this guy makes an appearance.” They nodded. “And most importantly, not a word of any of this to Tara – make sure you stay out of sight.”

At the top of the stairs, unseen and unnoticed, Tara sat with an expression of mixed anger and confusion.
[hr]
Thanks for reading, folks! Only a week or so till the next chapter! (assuming my lazy muse cooperates)

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 2/21)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:54 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Bad Willow, lying to Tara about her visions. Although, I guess it was only kinda lying since she wasn't really sure why she was getting the daytime painful type visions instead of the nightmares.

Angel's baby shower gag gift was cute, with the bottle and the red coloured water :lol

Hope you update soon !

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 2/21)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 am 
17. Mega-Witches

So much to say "wow" about in this update. Anya sleeping with Spike, first of all - OMG! She spends most of her life living on the higher plan with her grandmother and one of the first things she does when she's back as a human is to have sex for the first time with an older ex-vampire she has a crush on? Wow.

Also, hasn't Willow learned her lesson yet about lying to Tara? I guess when you're in the thick of things you can always find an excuse to keep things from people. But it never seems to work out. I mean, I guess wiping her memory was a side effect of the spell and not some benefit that she was promised, so it's not like they necessarily SHOULD have told her all the bad stuff from her past. It's a tough call. But yeah, when she started having the visions, that clearly was an alarm bell. I hope they come clean with her!

Also, haha about Spike tricking/teasing Angel with the vamp face thing. Tee hee!

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 2/28)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:38 pm 
5. Willowhand

Wow, my muse made it on time! Woo-hoo!

a willow angel - Yeah, it's a tough call - how much does Willow want to say, especially now that the visions are becoming painful? Read on...

SallyMcFine - 'Kay, first off, I have to say I LOVE your Avatar. What a great picture. Now that I'm done drooling on it, off to the feedback...

Naughty, naughty Anya...and it only gets worse... As far as Willow's coming clean with Tara, the visions should definitely raise alarm bells - but will she listen? Hmmm... Glad you liked the vamp face gag, too...I thought it was funny. Thanks for reading!
[hr]
Chapter 3 - Revelations
Rating: NC-17 for smut!

“Here is what you will do next,” the voice commanded. “You will find this address and wait there. How long you will have to wait is unclear – but eventually someone will contact you. Follow them.”

“But how-“

“Do not dare question me again. I arranged your escape from that place, but I can just as easily arrange your return.”

“Chaos...your servant begs forgiveness.”

“And it is given – now find the address and wait.”

“Yes, master.”

[hr]
“Are you sure you’re up to this, Tara? Your mouth still looks kinda…oogy.”

“I’m fine, Dawn. I promise. I’ll probably go easy on the popcorn – the salt might sting a little – but I wouldn’t miss a movie date.”

Dawn surprised her by pulling her into a tight hug. “I know. I love you.”

“I love you too, Dawnie – what brought that on?”

“It’s just…it’s so good to be spending time with you again. It’s been sort of lonely at school – I love it, but sometimes I just want to come home.”

Tara held her at arms’ length and looked at her, taken aback. “You can come home anytime you want, Dawn. You know that, right?”

“But everyone was so happy and proud that I made it into this school. I don’t want to disappoint Buffy – or Willow.”

“That’s…that would never happen. Buffy just wants you to be happy, Dawn, I know she does. And Willow was happy you got into math, but she wouldn’t want you to stay someplace you were unhappy. When she graduated, she could have gone anywhere – Oxford, MIT, wherever – but she stayed in Sunnydale because it made her happy.” She paused. “So when you said yesterday school was going great…”

“Oh, it is! I really do have amazing professors, and I have learned a lot, but I don’t think I can handle living away from home anymore.”

“Well, Rome’s got some great schools – you can talk to Willow, I’m sure she can recommend one-“

“Actually, I…well, I kind of wanted to move here. UC Sunnydale’s started back up, right?”

“It has, yes, but Dawn…”

“I know – I could go so many places, if I wanted to. But if I’m going to do what makes me happy, then I want to come back home. I’ve seen Rome, and Germany, and a few other places, but Sunnydale will always be my home. And everyone I love is here. Uh…I mean, everyone but Buffy. And would it make me a horrible person if I wished she’d just dump Faith and move here already?”

“Willow was telling me last night they aren’t getting along?”

“No. Faith is being a bitch.”

“Dawn!”

“I’m sorry, but she is. Buffy’s been miserable for months, and Faith’s just…I don’t know what the hell she’s doing. Every time I try to talk to Buffy about it, she just blows it off like it’s nothing…but she’s hurt, and it’s Faith’s fault.”

“So you’ve got no idea what it’s about?”

“No. I wish I did.” Dawn’s face brightened. “Now take me to see a movie, and brighten my spirits!”

“Your wish is my command. What are we going to see?”

“I don’t know…nothing intense. A popcorn movie, preferably. So, do you know any houses in town I could talk Buffy into buying for me? That money from the Immortal should go to a good cause – the Dawn relocation fund.”

“Well, if you can talk her into it, the houses on either side of us are still empty…”
[hr]
“Get down, you git! She’s going to see us!”

“Spike, she’s a hundred feet away, facing the other direction. How is she going to see us?”

“Just get down! You know, I remember you being sort of stealthy as a vampire – what happened to that?”

“I’m stealthy! Better than you, anyway!”

“The hell you are! We’ll be lucky if she doesn’t trip over you on the way to the movies!”

“Uh…Spike?”

“You know I’m right.”

“She’s gone.”

“What?” He looked down the street to the empty spot where Tara and Dawn had been standing. “Bollocks. Let’s go!”
[hr]
Willow had finished the protection spell not long after Tara left and called Buffy afterwards to see if she was busy. Buffy assured her she wasn’t, and the two of them arranged to meet at the Espresso Pump for a mocha.

“So that’s what happened to her at the shower? A vision?”

“Yeah. I think I might have to tell her, Buff.”

“How much?”

“Everything.”

“Are you sure? I mean…do you think she can handle it all at once?”

“I don’t know. But I can’t keep lying to her. And maybe if she knows then whoever’s doing this won’t be able to hurt her anymore.”

“I guess that makes sense. Promise me something then, okay?”

“What?”

“Tell her when I’m there – and Angel, and Spike? If you’re really going to do this, we need to make sure she knows and understands that we’re all there for her – that she doesn’t have to face any of this alone.”

Willow managed a weak smile. “Thanks, Buffy. I will – tell her when you’re there, I mean.”

“Are you going to do it today?”

“I don’t know – she’s going to have a fun time with Dawn, and I don’t want to ruin her day – but maybe that’s just me making excuses again.”

“Give her the day, Will. I’ll come over early tomorrow morning and we can talk this through with her. All of it. Okay?”

“Okay. Thanks.”

Buffy patted her hand. “That’s what I’m here for. Like old times.”

“It is, isn’t it? Like high-school again.”

“Wanna go shopping?”

“Yes please. Most of the stores in town are finally open again.”

“Good – ‘cause there wasn’t a lot here to start with.” She took a sip of her mocha and grimaced – it was still too hot. “I called Faith last night.”

“Did you get through?”

“Yep. We had a few minutes of awkward conversation before she told me she was going clubbing and hung up. I’ve got to tell you, it’s nice to be here rather than there for a while.”

“I wish I could fix it.”

“You and me both. But I’m not thinking about this anymore. I’m home, I’m with my best friend, and we’re having mochas – and then we’re going shopping. For once, I can tour Sunnydale without having to worry about staking vampires and killing demons, and just enjoy myself. Now – we have to find a place that does embroidered t-shirts.”

“Why?”

“’Cause I’m getting two pink shirts for the twins.”

“Um…you know they’re not going to be born for another five months, right?”

“Yep.”

“So what do you want embroidered on them?”

Buffy grinned. “’I’m going to be a Slayer – just like my Aunt Buffy.’”

Willow laughed. “So we’re going to advertise who the Slayers are now?”

“Well, Giles always did say I told too many people.”

“How is Giles, anyway?”

“I don’t know. He was still pretty pissed at Faith when he left, and I think he’s been avoiding calling me.”

“Why was he mad at Faith?”

“Oh, right…you missed that part. The reason he didn’t show up for the big fight was that Faith knocked him out cold that morning. She would never tell me why she did it, but Giles figured it was because she thought he’d be a liability.”

“Oh. Okay, I get why he’d be a little peeved. Did he go back to work with the Council – or do you even know?”

“He did – they’re going to keep working with the existing Slayers.”

“What about the new Slayers?”

“Before he left, Giles said they’ll have Watchers more than ready when they are.”

“Neat. Can we get another mocha before we go?”

“Sure.”
[hr]
“Dawn, that was horrible. I mean, we’ve been to some stinkers, but that was just beyond awful.”

“It was, wasn’t it? Should have known better than to see a movie that was number one – those are usually the worst.”

“I…that was so bad! Who actually gets paid to write these things, anyway? Look, here’s a movie about a plane that flies itself – how original. Didn’t get any of that in T2 or a hundred other movies. Remind me why I let you pick again?”

Dawn grinned. “It was my turn.”

“Right…so, on to the shakes?”

“How come you’re so eager for a shake? You’re usually the one mocking the size of my shake, remember?”

“I do – but it’s going to feel really good on my tongue.”

“You don’t have to answer if you don’t wanna, but what happened? Willow was kinda vague over the phone – and I’ve bit my tongue a few times, but it never looked like that after.”

“It’s really a long…sorry. You’ve got as much right to know as anyone else, Dawn.” She pulled the teenager close. “Sometimes I just forget you’re all grown up now.”

“You and Buffy both.”

“Dawn, I’m sure…okay, I’m getting off topic now. The last couple of days, I’ve had…well, I’m not sure what they are, but let’s call them visions to make it easy. I’ve seen things, pictures in my head that are like memories – except they’re of things I don’t remember – and they hurt. Until yesterday I’d only had one, but I’ve had two since yesterday morning. I bit my tongue during one of those visions this morning.”

A shadow crossed Dawn’s face and she looked at her feet. “And Willow hasn’t figured out what’s causing them?”

“No.” Tara hesitated and looked back at where she knew Spike and Angel were hidden, unsure of how much more to say. “I’m sure she’ll figure it out, though.”

“I’m sure,” Dawn muttered.
[hr]
It was dark outside when the phone rang in room 314.

“Hello?”

“Buffy?”

“Angel! You never called me last night!”

“I know. I’m sorry, I just got kind of tied up with stuff here, and by the time I got a second it was too late to bother you.”

“Oh, feel free to call me late – I never really kicked the Slayerish sleeping habits, and the jet lag isn’t helping any.”

“So, I thought…do you mind if I drop by and we can chat in person?”

“You know, I thought once you were human again we might be able to meet during the daytime.”

Angel laughed loudly. “You’d think, wouldn’t you? And yet, here we are again.”

“Come on over, Angel. I’ll see you in a few.”
[hr]
“Look, we need to talk.”

“I know – when are you paying me another visit like you paid me yesterday?”

“I told you – it’s not happening again. It was a huge mistake, and as the much older of us I should have known better.”

“I don’t regret it.”

“You will, bit. If not now, then later. That shouldn’t…I shouldn’t have been your first. It bloody well shouldn’t have happened like that, and I’m sorry.”

“But I’m not!” she replied forcefully. “Spike, I’ve seen you – and I’m not just talking about since I came back. I watched all of you as I grew up – and I fell in love with you then. I’ve seen everything you’ve ever done – one of the perks of being on a higher plane – and I’ve seen everything that you are, and you’re a great man.”

“Wrong. Dead wrong, luv. I may have done some good here and there, but that doesn’t atone for the things I’ve done – don’t get me wrong, I’m not torturing myself with that fact like Angel does, but it’s a fact. If you’ve really seen all that I’ve done, Anya, then you know I’m not a great man, or even a good man. And you deserve a good man.”

“Who I deserve is for me to decide, not you. I love you, Spike.”

“Don’t SAY that! You’ve been here for four months – you don’t know what love is.”

Anya sighed. “Well, I didn’t want to do this, but you’ve left me no choice.”

“What?”

“Spike, if you try and break it off with me…I’ll tell my moms about us.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“You know I would.”

Spike fumed silently for a moment before turning and storming out, cursing under his breath. Anya grinned at his back.
[hr]
“Tara, what’s this?”

“Looks like an envelope.”

“Funny girl. It fell out of a box in the closet this afternoon. It’s labeled in your handwriting, but all it says is ‘Counting Up, Counting Down.’”

Tara froze. “Willow, give me that.”

“Not till you tell me what it is,” Willow teased in a sing-song voice.

“Please…”

“Uh-Uh. Tell me…” she stopped teasing as she realized how close Tara was to bursting into tears. She threw the envelope down on the bed and took her in her arms. “I’m sorry, Tare. I didn’t mean to upset you.”

“It’s not that, Will, it’s just…I don’t want you to read that. It’s stupid,” she explained, hastily wiping her eyes.

“I highly doubt it’s stupid if you’ve held onto it all this time.”

“It’s nothing; it’s…part of a poem I wrote you.”

“You never gave me a poem…or was this a Cleveland thing?”

“No, no. I never gave it to you there either. I wrote it back before Faith woke up from her coma, but I didn’t think it was good enough – so I never gave it to you. I kept it at the house in Cleveland, but when I came here, of course, it was gone. All that’s in there is the first few lines – it’s all I could remember when I got here, but I wanted to write it down before I forgot it.”

“Could I read it?”

Tara chewed her bottom lip in contemplation for a moment before relenting. “Okay – but don’t laugh.”

“Never.” Willow sat down on the bed and gestured for Tara to join her. She opened the envelope and shook out the piece of paper it held, a pink sheet that smelled faintly of Tara. She unfolded the sheet. “Tara, how come the paper’s so…”

“Bumpy?”

“Yeah.”

“Dried tear-stains,” she managed in a thick voice. “I was sad I couldn’t remember the rest.” Willow put an arm around her and read the words aloud.

Counting up the time we’ve spent together
Counting down the time until you can be mine forever
I wish I could tell you
(I don’t think you know)
That I already love you
(I don’t want you to go)

They sat in silence for a long moment, until Willow gathered herself enough to draw a shuddering breath. Finally she managed the only words she could in a voice full of tears. “I love you, Tara.”

“I love you too, Will.”

They fell back on the bed, into a deep kiss that left them both breathless. Willow pulled back and smiled a sultry smile. “Wait right there. I saw this in some cheesy movie last week, and I’ve been dying to try it.”

Propping herself up on an elbow, Tara cocked an eyebrow. “Who said you get to decide how this goes?”

“Pregnant lady calls the shots. And pregnant lady says get naked and wait right there.”

Tara grinned. “Yes, ma’am.”

Willow pulled open the closet door and began digging through a pile of clothes, tossing them over her shoulder until she found what she was searching for. “I knew I had some in here somewhere!” She triumphantly held up a pair of silk scarves to the now naked Tara.

“And what exactly do you plan on doing with those?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Willow folded the first of the scarves into a single thick strip and settled on the bed behind Tara. She wrapped the scarf around her head, covering her eyes, and knotted it behind her head.

“Mmm…” Tara said appreciatively. “What about the second one?”

“Hold on, hold on…I’ve never done this before. Give me a second…” she folded the second scarf into a thick strip much like the first. “Give me your hands.”

“Huh?”

“Your hands. Actually, hang on a second. Lay down first, and put them over your head.”

With a little guidance, Tara did so. Willow pulled the scarf around her wrists and tied it tight.

Tara wiggled on the bed, giving a little moan as she did. “So now what, pregnant lady?”

“Now you wait right there. I’m going to go grab a few things from downstairs, and you can contemplate what those might be.”

She kissed Tara gently and walked out, making sure to close the bedroom door behind her. Tara waited there for what seemed like an eternity, but was closer to five minutes, feeling her arousal on the tops of her thighs as she squirmed, trying to get the scarf off of her wrists before Willow got back but unable to do so. The door opened slowly, and when Willow whispered “hello, sexy,” she nearly climaxed right then and there.

Willow walked slowly over to the bed and loudly placed a few items on the bedside table. Tara tried to guess as she put them down what they might be, but heard only the sound of glass bowls hitting the wood of the table. Drawing out the moment, Willow slowly undressed and clambered up on the bed next to her.

“Well hi there,” she whispered, running her fingers along Tara’s stomach. She jumped at the contact and moaned loudly. “Easy, easy…” she whispered. “We haven’t even started yet. Don’t make me find another scarf.”

She reached over Tara, who jumped again as Willow’s breasts pressed against her, and grabbed one of the glass bowls. She pulled out an ice cube and sat the bowl next to her. She held the melting cube over Tara’s face, and she gasped when the drips of cold water hit her. “What-“ she began, but her question disappeared as Willow took the ice between two fingers and ran it down her body, leaving a trail of goosebumps from her neck to her belly button. She’d hardly had time to react when she felt the ice traveling in circles around her nipple.

“Oh, goddess…” she whimpered.

Willow grinned and moved the ice to the other nipple, Tara wriggling underneath her. When the cube had melted to almost nothing, she took it on the end of one finger and dropped in Tara’s mouth. Tara responded by grabbing the finger between her teeth and sucking it gently. Willow felt herself nearing the breaking point and pulled it out. “Tsk, tsk. Who’s in charge here?”

“Nnnn…” was all Tara could manage in response. Her hips bucked as Willow ran a hand up and down her thigh. She spread her legs and Willow took the invitation, moving down the bed and placing a single digit exactly where it would do the most good. Tara exploded instantly, calling out Willow’s name. The digit stayed right there as she rode out the feeling, her hips pistoning wildly, until she finally collapsed bonelessly. Willow smiled and crawled up next to her, nibbling her earlobe.

“Will…oh, Will…goddess, that was…”

“Nothing. That was only act one.”

“No…Will, I couldn’t possibly…”

“Pregnant lady’s in charge, remember? You’re staying right there.” She reached over and grabbed the other two bowls from the nightstand, one containing a few strawberries and the other filled with whipped cream. She dipped her finger in the cream and smeared a little on the end of Tara’s nose, proceeding to lick it slowly off. She dipped her finger again. “Stick out your tongue,” she growled, and Tara did as instructed – mockingly sticking it out at her and trying not to laugh. Willow couldn’t help but laugh and grabbed it gently with her other hand, putting the dollop of cream from her finger on its center. Tara drew her tongue back in and swallowed the cream.

“Yummy,” she whispered. “Tastes like Willowhand.”

“Is that a good thing?”

“Oh, yes. I’m a big fan of Willowhand.”

Willow took a strawberry from the bowl, dipped it in cream and pushed it against Tara’s lips. Her lips parted and Willow pushed the strawberry in, letting her lick the cream from it before pulling it out again and putting more cream on it. The process repeated a few times before she gave in and let her eat the fruit, wiping the red juice from her lips.

“Mmmm…so what’s next on the menu?”

“That’d be you.”

Gathering a palmful of the whipped cream, Willow very slowly smeared it on Tara’s breasts. She loudly licked the rest from her fingers, watching her react to the sound, before straddling her and taking one breast in her mouth. She began to lick the cream off as Tara moaned and writhed underneath her. She cleaned all around the nipple before zeroing in on it, alternately licking and nibbling. Tara’s moans became more frantic as she did, and she eased up to avoid putting her over the edge too early.

“Willow, please…”

“Not just yet.” She moved to the other breast and repeated what she had done with the first, driving Tara right to the edge before stopping short.

“Uhhhhh…please….”

“Patience, love. There’s one more thing on the menu.” She dipped her finger in the bowl of cream yet again. This time, however, she put the drop of cream in a much more sensitive area. “Now that looks tasty…” she whispered in Tara’s ear. She made her way down the bed, planting kisses on various parts as she went, until she was where she wanted to be. Tara held her breath in anticipation as Willow waited a long moment before leaning in and beginning to probe with her tongue. She went slowly at first, teasing, before pressing more firmly, licking and sucking away the cream she’d smeared there. When she was sure Tara could stand no more she intensified her pace, taking her bud between her teeth and sucking gently as she plunged two fingers into her. She’d timed it perfectly and the climax she’d anticipated happened almost instantly. “WILLOW!” Tara screamed as her foot flashed out and kicked the glass bowls off of the bed, and Willow felt her own climax wash over her, erasing any further conscious thought.

When the feeling had passed, Willow gently untied the scarves and dropped them off the side of the bed. They shared a brief kiss before falling almost instantly asleep, wrapped in each other’s arms.
[hr]
And thus endeth the chapter. Hope the smut was bearable - I know it's not my strongest point, but I really wanted this scene in there. Thanks for reading, all, and Chapter 4 should be up in another week or so!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:01 am 
2. Floating Rose

i really love this fic. i get all excited when i see an update. what's goin on with faith? i just dont get it. but i trust, eventually you well let us know. but she is being a poopy head and i really like the idea of faith and buffy together, especially after all that they have been through. and i hope tara is okay when willow tells her everything. but i don't know, i don't think everyone should be there, i think she'll be kinda overwhelmed. but u r the writer, and i trust you. well can't wait for the next update.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:52 am 
8. Vixen

How could I've missed the last few chapters??? Well, that gave me a long read today :-D
Anya and Spike huh? Really didnt see that one coming. Anya certainly has something from the original Anya.
Poor Tara, not only Willow is lying to her, but everyone else too. Plus avoiding her. She must feel kinda crappy... well, not right now cuz that last installment... :lol
Can't wait for more! I really have to pay more attention to this thread! Still loving it :x
ETA: Faith really needs to get her priorities set straight. Can't she see she's losing Buffy? Stupid stupid. But I have to agree with the other posts here... I dont wanna see her with Angel! BF have been through too much already. I hope Faith'll take the next plane to the sunny D.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:51 pm 
5. Willowhand

Another update - my muse is actually working for once, so I might as well take advantage of it! It's a little shorter than the last one, but it's a little dense, too...

Aine - Faith, Faith...that's a complicated question, and unfortunately it won't be answered quite yet - but soon, I promise. And as for everyone being there when Tara's told...well, that one is actually coming right up in this chapter, so I won't say too much. I'm glad you're still enjoying!

WillowRulez - Sorry you missed some chapters, but I'm glad it was a good read when you caught up! Much more of Spike and Anya to come - maybe she did get some of her namesake in her...And the gang is definitely going to have to deal with their lies to Tara at some point. As for Faith, she's definitely having priority issues at the moment...we'll catch up with her soon and see what's happening.
[hr]

Chapter 4 - Coming Together, Falling Apart
Rating: R for language - is it weird Dawn has the naughtiest word in the chapter? Hmm...
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

“What the hell do you think do you’re doing?”

“Nothing, I…just wanted to kiss you, that’s all.”

“That wasn’t exactly a ‘let’s be friends’ kiss you were going for there, Angel.”

“Well…no! It wasn’t! I’m sorry, Buffy, but I still love you. You should be with me – how many times did you think to yourself back then that if I was ever human…”

“I…Jesus! You do this to me now? Damn it, Angel…like it’s not bad enough Faith and I are having troubles, you pull this on me.”

“Don’t you see? You’re having troubles, she’s not doing right by you…she’s not right for you, Buffy! She never has been! You deserve someone that’ll treat you the way you should be treated – someone like me.”

“Angel, please don’t…”

“Fine. I’ll go, but think about what I said.” He slammed the door behind him as he left, and the fragile control she’d held over her emotions to that point fell apart. She curled up on the motel bed and began to cry.
[hr]
Tara woke the next morning with a smile on her face. She’d been having a good dream – one she couldn’t quite remember, but a good one nonetheless. And something smelled really good…breakfast? She rolled over and found Willow’s side of the bed empty, a note on her pillow.

Morning, Tara! I went out to pick up breakfast – hopefully I’m back when you wake up. Watch out for the broken glass on the floor – put your slippers on, and I’ll sweep it up later.

Still smiling, Tara donned a robe and grabbed her slippers, treading carefully around the broken glass as she made her way downstairs. “Willow?” she called as she rounded the bottom of the steps.

“In the kitchen!”

Tara entered and stopped short as she saw the crowd waiting in the kitchen – Willow, Buffy, Angel, Dawn and Anya.

“Uh…hi? Will, I wish you would have mentioned we were having company this morning.” She waited for a moment and noticed the somber expression the group seemed to collectively wear as they looked everywhere but at her.

“Okay, what’s going on?”

Willow handed her a plate of food and gestured toward the living room. “Why don’t we go and sit down?”

“Will, you’re scaring me. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, I promise. Let’s just go and sit.”

Tara reluctantly followed her to the couch and took a seat, laying her plate on the coffee table. Once everyone was seated, Willow spoke. “I don’t really know where to start, but…we can explain what you’ve been seeing – the visions.”

“You figured them out?”

“We…well…huh. This is harder than I thought. Okay…here’s the thing. Your visions – they’re your memories. I know they don’t seem like them, ‘cause you don’t remember, and if you don’t remember your memories than how can they be your memories, right?” Willow caught her breath. “Um…okay, I can’t think of an easy way to do this, so I guess I’ll just lay it all out for you.”

For the next couple of hours, they did just that. Coupled with reassurances that everyone was there for her, whatever she needed, they laid everything out for her. All the bad memories they knew of, how she’d erased them and why. With every new revelation hitting like a punch, Tara’s face crumpled and her shoulders drooped a little more. Willow was surprised by the lack of tears, but surmised that the shock was simply too great for her to cry. When they had shared everything they thought her unknown attacker could hurt her with, they lapsed into silence and waited for her reaction. There was none. She sat silently, staring at her hands.

“Tara?” prompted Buffy. “Talk to us – please. I can’t imagine how hard this is for you, but you need to talk to us.”

Tara was still silent. “Baby?” asked Willow, reaching for her hand. As soon as she touched it, Tara reacted like she’d got a dose of high voltage. She slapped Willow’s hand away and stood up, backing slowly toward the stairs.

“Don’t touch me!” she cried. “God…you knew! You knew what was happening to me…everything I’ve done…I…oh…”

“Tara, come back and sit…please.”

“NO!” It was a scream this time. “Stay away from me!” She ran up the stairs into their room and slammed the door behind her. A few minutes later she came back down fully dressed and stormed out the front door, leaving it open behind her.

“Tara!” Willow cried after her. “Tara!”

“Probably best to give her some space, Willow,” Angel muttered. Buffy agreed, but didn’t look at him as she did. Dawn said nothing, just stood up and walked out – closing the door behind her.
[hr]
“What can I get you?”

“Beer. And…on TV, when they d-drink beer and shots, what are the shots?”

“Whiskey, usually. But-“

“Beer and whiskey. Lots.”

Willy brought her back a pint of cheap beer and a shot, and Tara drained the shot without hesitation. It burned worse than she’d thought, and she coughed, but washed it down with a swig from the beer glass. She stared down into the beer and began to softly cry as the events the group had told her about began to surface in her mind. The tears ran quickly down her face and landed on the bar, and Willy’s expression softened as he watched her.

“So tell me,” he said, sidling closer to her, “what’s bad enough to drive a girl like you to drink in a place like this? My clientele’s usually a bit more demonic, you know?”

“I should fit right in, then,” she muttered thickly.

“Come on, now,” he implored her. “I’ve seen a few demons in my time, and I’d bet serious money you’re not one.”

“Then you’d lose,” she whispered, still staring at her beer. “I’m a monster – and you’d do well to remember it.”

“Well, if you want to talk…”

“I don’t.” She drained her beer and pushed both glasses toward him. “I want to drink.”

Three rounds later, her tears continued to flow, mixing with the spilled beer in front of her on the bar. She was reaching for her next shot when a familiar figure settled onto the stool next to hers.

“Hi, luv.”

“Spike, go away.”

“Ask Buffy how well that line works on me, pet. I don’t leave that easy.”

“I’m serious – I’m not good company right now.”

“So they did tell you, after all? I thought for sure they’d find a reason not to.”

She whirled to face him and nearly pitched off her stool. “You knew?”

“I did.”

“Son of a bitch!” she hissed. “So everybody knew about me but me, huh?”

“Pretty much.”

“How come you weren’t there for the f-fun time this morning?”

“They asked – I said no. I was still hoping to find a solution to this that didn’t involve telling you. Dredging up all this rubbish.”

“Why?”

He looked away for a moment, and she was startled to see that he was on the verge of breaking down. “Because…you were happy. Finally, you were as happy as you deserved to be. It just didn’t seem fair to me that you did everything you did for us and we had to turn around and drag you down again.”

“But I deserve to be dragged down…I’m a h-horrible person, and I should pay the p-price for everything I’ve done.”

He grabbed her arm, more roughly than he intended. “You’re not. I never want to hear you say that again. I know damn well what a monster is, and you’re not one.”

Her tears falling harder as her body began to shake, she pulled free of his grasp. “The h-hell I’m not! All those people died because of me!”

“There’s no way you’ll ever convince me of that. Ever.”

“If I hadn’t gone to work for the Partners, I could have helped earlier, saved them…”

“Or gotten killed yourself.”

“I chose to be evil, Spike.”

“You lost your only child. I can’t imagine what that’s like – the closest I’ve ever come was when we lost Buffy. But the only reason I didn’t give up on the world right then and there was the sodding promise I’d made to protect Dawn. None of the rest of you mattered – none of you, do you understand? And I know you felt the same – your link to the world had been severed, and you looked for something, anything to give your life meaning. The Partners were the clearest choice – the apocalypse was coming, and you had nothing you felt was worth protecting. They promised to keep the only thing you still had a spark of attachment to safe, and you simply didn’t care about the rest. Tell me I’m wrong.”

Beyond words, she simply shook her head.

“But here’s the difference between us, Tara. You turned away from the dark. You could have easily sunk into it and never come out – you didn’t have a promise holding you here like I did. But you didn’t.” He held up a hand to ward off the reply he saw her trying to form. “I know what you’re going to say – Willow helped you. That’s true, but it was still your choice. You saved lives in the end, you didn’t take them.”

“H-How…” Tara began.

“How what, pet?”

“How did you live with yourself? When you got your soul back, and remembered all you’d done as a vampire, how did you cope?”

“Time. I wish there was a better answer, but there isn’t. It’ll take time. But eventually you’ll start to see that you’re not bad, Tara. You’re a lovely little light in this dark world, and you just need to see yourself like I see you.”

She fell into his arms then, sobbing uncontrollably. “I c-can’t go home right now, Spike,” she choked out. “I c-can’t.”

“I’ve got just the place,” he assured her, waving to Willy to put her bill on his tab. He helped her out the door and into the afternoon.
[hr]
He took her to his crypt – the last one he’d inhabited before he’d left Sunnydale on the search for his soul. Fortunately it had come back exactly as he remembered it, furnished and all. He locked the door behind them and carried her to the bed, laying her down gently on it and curling up beside her. He wrapped his arms around her, not saying a word, just holding her as her body shook with the force of her sobs. She cried until she threw up, and then cried some more – and he stayed right there with her until the tears petered out and she fell into an exhausted sleep. He smoothed her hair back from her face and lay beside her, shedding tears of his own for her, watching for any sign that she was having nightmares and waiting to wake her if necessary.

Eventually he fell asleep as well, only to be woken abruptly as Tara shook him. “Spike!”

“What is it?” he mumbled as he rubbed his eyes.

“I can’t get the door open.”

“’Course not – it’s locked.”

“Then open it.”

“Why?”

“What do you mean, why? Because I want out! I need some fresh air.”

He studied her for a moment before he replied. “No.”

“No? I’m not your p-prisoner, Spike – open the damn door!”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because you’ve got bad thoughts in your head, pet – I can see them. And there’s no way I’m letting you out of my sight until I know they’re gone.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Don’t play games. You’ve got a look in your eyes I’ve seen before – you’re planning on offing yourself.”

“That’s ridiculous. I just want to go for a walk.”

“Right. Look, Tara – do you think this didn’t cross my mind, too? Do you know how close I was to ending it when Buffy found me in the school basement? I know exactly what you’re thinking – that it would be easier than living, and that it would take all the pain away. But listen to an expert on this – dying doesn’t make it better.”

Tara reached down and grabbed a jagged piece of glass from the crypt’s floor, holding it to her throat. She pulled it just slightly across her neck, making a shallow cut no more than an inch long. Blood welled up from it and trickled down, staining the collar of the cream-colored blouse she wore.

“Do you think you can stop me by keeping me here? It’s MY life, Spike, and if I choose to…”

“Then you can probably cut your throat wide open before I could stop you – the reflexes aren’t what they once were. But you better think long and hard about this – you only get to make this choice once, and there’s no changing your mind. And understand how much you’d be missed. You’re a wife and mother, Tara, with a woman who’s already had to lose you once and a daughter you’ve barely gotten to know, not to mention the twins on the way.”

“I don’t deserve them – any of them.”

“Somebody up there disagrees. And even if you’re right, and you don’t deserve them, you have them. And they’ll be torn apart when you’re gone, whether you deserve them or not.”

Her hand began to shake, and the piece of glass slipped out of her grasp and dropped to the floor, where it shattered loudly. She sat down on the bed next to Spike and put her head in her hands. “Oh, goddess…” she whispered to herself. “I can’t live like this.”

“You can, and you will. It will get better, and it will get easier. For now, you just need to rest.” She meekly lay down and let him cover her with a blanket, and she was asleep in moments.
[hr]
She jumped when she awoke to find Dawn’s soulful eyes regarding her – the teenager sat on a chair next to the bed, just looking at her.

“Dawn? What…Spike, what is she doing here?”

“I went out to get you some painkillers and a bandage for your neck, found the niblet wandering the streets looking for you. She threatened me with bodily harm if I didn’t tell her where you were – and given that she’s the only one of you lot I’m actually afraid of, I decided to tell her.”

“Dawn,” Tara began as she sat up, “I’m sorry I just left this morning-“

“I don’t want you to apologize, Tara. I told them that was the wrong way to break it to you. But that’s not why I’m here.”

“Why are you here?”

“Because I’m terrified. I saw the look on your face when you left this morning, and now that cut on your neck…Tara, when my…” her throat worked. “When mom died, you were the closest thing I had…mother, and sister, and best friend…and then you went away. And…” tears began to pour down her cheeks. “And I’m so fucking scared you’re going to go away again. Please don’t go away, Tara. Please don’t leave me again.”

“Oh, Dawnie,” Tara whispered, pulling her into a tight hug. Dawn held her like a life preserver. “I…I won’t. I promise I won’t. I love you, Dawn.”

Spike smiled, turning away so they wouldn’t see.

“You won’t leave me?”

“I w-won’t. I’m not going anywhere.”

“I’m not so sure about that,” came a voice from the doorway. “I’m pretty sure you are, actually.”

Tara, Spike and Dawn turned as one to see a black-clad man standing just inside the open crypt door. His face was covered by a black balaclava.

“You know, I’m sure I locked that bloody thing.”

“Oh, you did. Fortunately, vampire, I can pick locks.” He reached into a pocket and withdrew a bottle, the contents of which he threw at Spike. For his part, Spike merely smiled.

“Holy water? Little behind on current events, are we?” He walked up to the man and almost casually punched him in the face. The stranger dropped like a sack of potatoes and stayed down.

“Well, that was a little pathetic,” Spike muttered as he picked the man up and pulled off his balaclava to reveal…

“Ethan Rayne?”
[hr]
That's all for now! Sorry about the shorter chapter, but it was a logical stopping point. Hopefully I'll have another up in a week or so!

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 3/2)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:25 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Three cheers for Spike! I know, I know, that seems and odd phrase to see on the Board. But dang...he's really coming through, guess humanity suits him.

Great update. Much more emotional torment to come, I'm sure, as Tara struggles to find a sense of balance between who she is and what she did.

Ah...Chaos and Ethan Rayne...the plot thickens...

Michelle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:08 pm 
8. Vixen

Was kinda shocked to see (read) Tara actually cutting herself in front of Spike. But that only shows what a good writer you are if you keep surprising us like that ;) I love your Spike! Something I usually wouldnt say cuz he is mostly annoying but you write him really well... and I dont think that was only his humantiy speaking. Let's hope Dawn can assist him in dragging Tara back home :lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:27 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Heather, a great pair of updates! I'm sorry I missed them at first - do you post in the Update Thread? That's sort of a rhetorical question since I don't recall seeing these posted, heh. ;)

Anyway, yay that they finally told Tara, unyay about her reaction. She needs to trust herself that even though she doesn't remember, she made the right decision in deciding to save the world again.

Funny funny about Ethan Rayne! And somewhat un-funny about Anya making threats to Spike. For all that she is wise and mature beyond her years, will she learn that coercion is not a way to secure anyone's love and trust?

And triple-yay about the smut! I think you wrote it beautifully. And yay also about the silk scarves, woohoo!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:16 pm 
5. Willowhand

I think this might be my shortest time between updates yet - neato!

mole - Definitely an odd phrase to see on the board, but a true one nonetheless. He and Angel are probably the only ones who could relate to Tara at this point, and Angel's rather preoccupied - Spike's certainly doing his part, though! Definitely more angst to come - in more ways than one...

WillowRulez - Glad to keep surprising you! There might be a few more in this update. I'm glad you're liking my Spike - he's one of the most fun supporting characters to write. As far as Dawn and Spike taking Tara home...well, read on!

SallyMcFine - Actually, I haven't been posting in the updates thread (maybe I should do that, eh?)

Tara's reaction to the revelations that have been made to her will definitely be an issue - even if she does get back to trusting herself, it'll probably take time.

Glad you liked Ethan's appearance - what he'll eventually lead the gang to will be a revelation in and of itself, and I heartily agree about Anya - she's got learning to do about how relationships work on this plane.

I'm so glad the smut was bearable - I've wanted to have that scene in the story from the beginning, and it seemed a logical place for it. Thanks for reading!
[hr]
Chapter 5 - We Are...
Rating: R for language
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1.

“So what do we do with this wanker?”

“I think we should take him back to Buffy,” Dawn answered. “If he’s the one who’s been hurting Tara, then we’re going to have to find out what else he’s been doing.”

“Plan enough, I guess.”

Tara cleared her throat. “I…I can’t go back there right n-now.”

“Okay – Dawn and I can drop him off, and you can stay here if you like.”

“Thanks – I think I might get a room someplace for a few days – not that I d-don’t appreciate the offer, Spike.”

“No problem. Can we get you anything at the house?”

“A couple days worth of clothes, maybe? And tell Willow I’ll call her tonight?”

“Sure,” said Dawn. “Why don’t you go to my room at the hotel, just so we have a place to meet up? Here’s the spare key. I’ll bring you your clothes, and then you can get a room of your own.”

“Okay. Are you guys going to be o-okay with him?”

“I think we’ll manage. Not going to do anything stupid if we leave you alone?”

“I promise.”

“Okay, let’s go see big sis then.”

They closed the door behind them as they dragged Ethan out, and Tara gently placed a hand on it. “I’m sorry, Dawn,” she whispered.
[hr]
“Ethan Rayne…god, I wish I was even surprised anymore. Did he say anything before you knocked him out?”

“Not really – threw some holy water at me, babbled something about how he was sure Tara was going somewhere, and then I dropped him.”

“Do we torture him? I vote for torturing him.”

“Buffy, this is Ethan. Pinch him hard and he’ll probably tell you everything he knows.”

“True enough,” she sighed. “Dawn said you’ve seen Tara?”

“Yes.”

“And?”

“I’m sorry, luv, but I’m not going to tell you anything. Tara needs time, and what she chooses to tell you is up to her – later.”

A long silence between them was shattered as Dawn came down the stairs with a bag of clothes, Willow shouting after her.

“Dawn, tell me where she is!”

“No! She’ll come home when she’s ready, Willow, and all she told me to tell you was that she’ll call you tonight. I wish I could tell you more, but that’s it.”

“But-“

“No.”

“Okay…tell her to call me soon, okay?”

Dawn’s determined expression softened. “I will.”
[hr]
The trip back to Willow and Tara’s house and out to the hotel had taken about forty-five minutes, and Dawn hoped as she entered her room that Tara hadn’t been waiting too long. But she wasn’t prepared for what she found when she opened the door – nothing. “Tara?” she called into the dark. “You could have turned on a-“ she flicked the switch nearest the door and flooded the room with fluorescent light, revealing an empty room with a single folded sheet of hotel stationery propped up on the left-hand pillow of the double bed.

“light,” she finished to herself. Picking up the piece of paper, she unfolded it with shaking hands and began to read:

Dawn:

I wish I could tell you how sorry I am for lying to you. You and Spike helped me so much today – it’s not a stretch to say I owe both of you my life – but there’s things I need to sort out, and I don’t think I can do that here. I will call you every chance I get, and this isn’t forever – I’m coming back, I promise.

Please tell Willow and Anya that I love them – I’ll call Willow tonight, but I don’t want her to worry until then. Give my apologies to Buffy and Angel for leaving during their visit, and tell Spike I haven’t forgotten what he told me – and that he helped me see what a powerful word ATONEMENT really is. I need to deal with the memories that haunt me, Dawn, and once I’ve done that I will come home.

Take care of yourself, Dawn, and remember the transfer deadline for UC Sunnydale is soon – so if you’re going to move here, get everything in order quickly.

Love to All,

Tara

“Crap,” Dawn muttered. “I should have known better.” She flipped over the paper and saw a faint outline of what must have been written on the page above it – but it was too light to read. She took a pencil and rubbed it over the outline, revealing the words written there:

Sunnydale->Cleveland
Number 91
Departs 7:00
$150 one-way

Dawn checked her watch – 6:30. She grabbed the phone from the desk and dialed as quickly as she could.

“Buffy? How fast can you get to the Bus Depot?”
[hr]
“Do you see her?” Willow called from the front of the bus.

“No, Will! Check the- damn.”

“What?”

“An envelope – it’s addressed to you. It was sitting here on the seat.”

“Open it!”

Buffy did so as Willow made her way toward her. “Here,” she said, handing her the folded page. Willow opened it hesitantly.

Willow:

I knew Dawn was too stubborn to just let me go – so I left her a little breadcrumb. I hope it’s given me time to get away cleanly; I wasn’t going to Cleveland. Where I am going, I can’t say.

Please don’t misunderstand me, Will – I’m not leaving you. I will never leave you. But I just can’t be home right now. I can’t live with the sympathetic glances, the assurances that everything’s all right, that what happened wasn’t my fault – it’s not all right at all, and the only way it will be is if I can make it right for myself - and it’s going to take time for me to figure out how to do that. Please don’t think less of me for leaving. I’ll miss you, and Anya, every day from today until I get home.

I love you, Willow, and I’ll talk to you so very soon.

Tara

P.S. Tell Anya she’s made a good choice – she’ll know what I mean.

Willow fell back into a seat, stunned.
[hr]
They regrouped at the house, Buffy trying to calm the frantic Willow. “We’ll find her, Will, I swear. She can’t have gotten very far.”

“I…” Willow couldn’t even finish her thought.

“We will. Dawn’s gone back to the hotel to track down any leads there, and Angel and Spike are checking the airport and calling the taxi companies.”

“What else can we do? Buffy, I can’t let her go like this – it’s all my fault. If we hadn’t told her like that, if we’d have found a better way-“

“We don’t know that. There was no way to predict she’d react like this, Will.”

“But…please find her, Buffy. If something’s out to hurt her, get the spell from her mind, then she’s all alone against it now.”

“We’ll get her back. I’m going to go and wake our guest, see what he knows.” She strode into the living room and found Ethan much as they’d left him, unconscious and tied to one of Willow and Tara’s kitchen chairs. She grabbed a glass of water Spike had left there earlier and threw it unceremoniously in his face. He coughed and sputtered, looking at her with wide eyes.

“Slayer?”

“Ethan. I really hoped I’d never see you again, but I guess that was too much to ask. Here’s a thought – tell me what I want to know, and I won’t have to hurt you. Much.”

“What do you want to know?”

“Are you the one who’s been casting spells on Tara? Giving her visions?”

“Well, yes. That would be me.”

“Why?”

“I think you know why.”

“Hell’s army. You want to bring it back.”

“Not exactly.”

“Isn’t that a little ambitious for you, Ethan? You’ve never been much of a world-destroying type before now. Why try and raise that army?”

“Oh, I’m not the least bit interested in raising it. All I was here for was to cast spells on the witch.”

“So someone hired you?”

He remained silent.

“We’ll come back to that one, Ethan. And believe me – one way or another, I will get an answer. But I have another one – are you the guy running the Magic Box?”

“Possibly.”

Buffy hit him once, careful not to put too much force behind it – he was no good to her if he couldn’t answer the question. “Want me to ask again?”

“No, that’s quite alright. Yes, I’m running the shop. Ironic, isn’t it? Me running Ripper’s old business?”

“You’ve been calling yourself Lindsey – why?”

“I don’t know. The name means nothing to me.”

“So you were told to call yourself that?”

No response. She hit him again.

“Yes. My employer told me to use the name.”

“Why were you giving out magickal items to the demon crowd? More instructions from your employer?”

“No. That was just for fun.”

“I suppose you know what my next question is.”

“I do. But before you start hitting me again, I assure you I don’t know the answer. Whoever they are, they got in touch with me through a middleman - a demon who’s long since died. I get my orders by fax, and they can’t be traced – I’ve tried several times, by technical and mystical means.”

“Do the faxes come to the Magic Box?”

“Yes.”

“When was the last one?”

“Two weeks ago.”

“And does this employer get in touch with you on a regular basis?”

“No. The faxes just show up – there’s no timetable, and I’m never told when the next one will be.”

“And you’re sure hitting me won’t help you? ‘Cause I really want to hit you.”

“I’m sure you do. And I can’t stop you, but it won’t help matters.”

Buffy exhaled slowly, trying to keep her temper in check. “Fine. If you’ll excuse me, I’m just going to call the Initiative – or whatever they’re calling themselves these days. I’m sure they’d be interested in having you back in custody, and knowing how you escaped. How did you escape, anyway?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?”

“Whatever.” She left the room and found Willow rapidly pacing upstairs.

“Did you find out anything useful?”

“Nothing that will help us find her, if that’s what you mean. I did find out he was the one causing her visions, but he was working for someone else he can’t identify, so that’s not really progress.”

“It was him? This was his fault?” She turned and began pulling spell books off the shelf behind her. “He’s going to pay…”

Buffy grabbed her hands. “No, Will. It won’t help anything, and it won’t find Tara any faster.”

“But if it wasn’t for him, we’d never have had to tell her! None of this would be happening!”

“We still would have had to tell her eventually, Will. The nightmares, remember?”

“But we would have had more time – we could have figured out a better way!”

“Just listen to me, Willow. Hurting him won’t help. The most important thing right now is finding her. Can you use a locator spell or something?”

“Not if she’s left the city – these things have kind of a limited range. But maybe…” She reached out with her mind.

“Tara?”

There was a hum, like an open phone line, and Willow knew Tara could hear her.

“Tara, talk to me. Please.”

“I’m sorry, Willow, but I’m not ready yet. I’ll call you later, I promise.” There was an almost audible click in her head, and she knew Tara had effectively closed their mental connection. She reached out again, but found nothing at all.

“I got her for a second, Buffy, but it doesn’t get us any further in finding her. She…she sounds okay, though.” Buffy wrapped her in a hug as the tears she’d been holding in finally escaped.
[hr]
“Did she stop by, ask about transportation or anything?” Dawn asked, showing Tara’s picture to the man at the hotel’s front desk.

“Uh…I don’t think so. I don’t remember seeing her, anyway.”

“You’re sure?”

“Pretty sure. When would this have been?”

“About an hour ago.”

“Then I’m sure. I was the only one working the desk this evening, so no-one else could have helped her either.”

“Wait…what about phone calls from my room? Do you have a list of them?”

“We have to – it’s for billing purposes. Do you want me to get it?”

“Please.” She nervously drummed her fingers on the desk as he retreated behind a door marked “Employees Only.” He emerged moments later with a single sheet of paper and handed it to her.

“Looks like just one today,” he told her. “To an airline, late this afternoon.”

“That’s it!” she exclaimed, tossing a fifty-dollar bill at him. “Thanks for your help!” She grabbed her cell phone from her pocket and called Angel.

“Hello?”

“Angel, it’s Dawn. The airport – she went to the airport!”

“You’re sure?”

“She called an airline from my room. If I’d been thinking earlier, I would have checked the phone records first. Damn it!”

“It’s okay, Dawn. We’ll find her. What airline?”

“Uh…” she pulled the piece of paper from her pocket. “US Air.”

“Great. Call Buffy, tell her I’m on the trail.” He hung up, and Dawn dialed Buffy’s number.
[hr]
Angel pushed more than a few people out of the way as he charged to the US Air counter.

“Can I help you, sir?”

“I’m looking for a woman – Tara Maclay. She booked a ticket earlier today, and I need to know what flight she was going to be on.”

“Sir, I can’t give out that kind of information.”

“It’s an emergency. I’m…” Angel racked his brain for an explanation that would get him past the airline’s policies. “I’m her brother. It’s urgent that I find her – she’s got a chemical imbalance, and she hasn’t been taking her medication. I’m worried she might not know what she’s doing.”

The ticket agent frowned, but relented. “Okay, how do you spell her name?”

He spelled it out, and she punched it into the system. “Okay…wait a second. This can’t be right.”

“What is it?”

“She bought one-way tickets to…uh, four places. And the flights were all leaving at the same time.”

“Were leaving? You mean they’ve already departed?”

“Yes. They all took off about twenty minutes ago.”

“Too late,” he muttered to himself. “Where were the flights to?”

“Orlando, Birmingham, Bismarck and Portland.”

Angel committed the list to memory. “Can you tell whether she was on any of those flights?”

“No, sir. The only way to find that out would be to check the manifest of each of those planes – and I don’t have the power to do that. You’d have to file a written request with the head office.”

He readied himself to argue with her, but realized it wouldn’t do any good. Instead he simply thanked her and left, pulling out his phone and calling Buffy as he did.
[hr]
Hours later, in another time zone, as the gang frantically searched for any clue as to her destination, Tara knocked on a heavy wooden door. The door opened, and the surprise of the man behind it showed in his expression.

“Tara?”

“Hello, Daddy. I’m sorry I didn’t call first.”
[hr]
That's all for now, folks! More to come soon!

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 3/5)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:53 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Tara was very sneaky there. lol, leaving fake clues and buying tickets to four different places. Poor Willow. I hope they find her soon so we can have :wtkiss

Angel making up the story about Tara having a chemical imbalance was funny, and i'm sure the ticket agent would have no trouble believing that after seeing that she bought the tickets for four different flights that all leave at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:57 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Ooh, I'm pretty annoyed with Tara. I know she's freaked out and all, but I can't excuse her running away and covering her tracks no matter how remorseful she feels about it, for two reasons. First of all, her "other" self took steps to right the wrongs she did. She didn't make great choices all the time, but she ended up in a decent place. Yes, people died. But running away to atone or to do some soul-searching is not going to change that. It takes a braver person to stay and deal with their loved ones while figuring that out.

But the second reason, the reason why I'm EXTREMELY annoyed with her, is because she left Willow. Willow, who is pregnant with their twins. There's just no excuse in my book for leaving a pregnant woman alone, no matter how upset she is, because there is big bad evil on the loose and targeting her. And you can bet that if it can't find Tara (which it might, it might), it darn well is going to try and target Willow. She's putting not only herself in danger, and not only Willow, but their twins as well.

You'd think that she wouldn't want to endanger anyone else, if she feels bad about the deaths she caused before. Anyway, that's why I would like to grab Ms. Maclay and have stern conversation with her.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:59 pm 
8. Vixen

Yeah, I am pretty annoyed with Tara too. Sure, she is going through a lot but hello??? Willow is pregnant. She is just leaving her? Even though she isnt leaving? I think she is being really selfish.
But she showed that she is truly a Scooby with being so super sneaky.
Please update to stop me being pissed at Tara :-D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:12 pm 
5. Willowhand

Dear god, it's an update! Only four weeks or so behind schedule! :blush

Feedbacky:

a willow angel - Definitely sneaky on Tara's part - she wouldn't be our girl if she wasn't super-smart! I thought the chemical imbalance was a good way to convince the agent to give them information.

SallyMcFine - I heartily agree with you - and if Tara was thinking rationally at this point I think she'd agree too - unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. And leaving Willow alone is certainly not the right course of action, that's for certain. If I can find Ms. Maclay I'll let her know you want to see her for stern conversation. ;-)

WillowRulez - Hopefully this update makes you less pissed at Tara! :smash

Chapter 6 - The lucky ones
Rating: R for language, implied violence
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1.

“You’ve got nerve showing your face here, Tara.”

“I’m sorry.”

“What do you want?”

“I want to take care of you, Dad. Like you wanted me to.”

He regarded her suspiciously for a moment before swinging the door wide and letting her inside. She was shocked to see the condition of the house.”

“Your brother left here about a month after we saw you in Sunnydale. Moved to the city, or some such nonsense. Your cousin Beth went with him. The farm’s a lot to look after myself, so I haven’t been keepin’ up the house too well. Now why don’t you just tell me why you’ve had this sudden change of heart?”

“I…just wanted to come home, that’s all.”

“Don’t lie to me, Tara.”

“Sorry, Sir,” she replied automatically. Her lip trembled and a tear slid slowly down her cheek. “I’ve been bad. I’ve done bad things, and been a bad person, and I came home because I thought looking after you might…”

“Make you feel better?”

She nodded miserably.

“Well of course you’re welcome,” he said, holding his arms out to her. She held up a hand.

“Wait. I just…I want you to understand, D-Daddy – I’ll do whatever I can, but I need to be able to phone home at night, and leave the house when I want to – I want to volunteer at a few places in town.”

“Of course, Tara – you’re not my prisoner or anything. I’m just happy to see you.”

She let him embrace her then, crying on his shoulder. He rubbed her back like he had when she was a child, and she inhaled the familiar smell of his cologne and knew she’d made the right choice – if she could heal herself, this was the place to do it.
[hr]
“Willow, you have to eat.”

“Not hungry,” she muttered.

“Maybe not, but for the babies’ sake, you need to eat.”

She had just begun poking at her meal when the portable phone on the table began to ring. She dropped her fork and grabbed it, punching the ‘talk’ button.

“Hello?”

“..illow?”

“Tara?” Buffy quietly got up and left the dining room, wanting Willow to have privacy.

“…ry, the con…is terrible, I…”

“Tara? Can you hear me?”

The static on the line suddenly cleared. “Willow?”

“Tara! Oh, thank…you’re okay!”

“I’m fine, Will.”

“Where are you?”

“I can’t say.”

“You need to come home, baby. Come back to me.”

“Soon, I promise.”

“No! Not soon! Now!

“I can’t. I’m s-sorry.”

“Tara…you didn’t even say goodbye. You left me here and you didn’t even say goodbye.”

“If I had tried to say goodbye, would you have let me go?”

“No! I would have told you this is insane – that if you needed to deal then fine, but don’t leave me and Anya and our babies alone!”

“I am sorry, Willow. I know you don’t understand, but I’m doing what I have to do. I’ve got to go now.”

“No, please! Don’t hang up!”

“I love you. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“I love you too,” Willow whispered. There was a harsh click, and she was alone again.
[hr]
A week passed in near-perfect routine in Sunnydale. Willow ate, slept, and talked to Tara in the evenings. Buffy and Angel grew closer as they worked side-by-side to search for any trace of Tara. Spike had been notably absent, staying away from the house as much as possible. Anya and Dawn kept each other company, but overall a somber mood permeated the group, moreso with each day that passed.

After eight days, the situation changed drastically – Tara stopped calling. Willow was beside herself, and they’d made no progress in finding her – the airline had refused to release their manifests unless they could prove that Tara was not of sound mind or under duress, which of course they couldn’t. Three more weeks passed, Willow’s mood growing increasingly dark and erratic, before Angel received a phone call from an old contact he’d made at Wolfram & Hart who he was still friendly with. The contact had seen a news story about a homeless shelter in Portland that had included footage of a young woman who looked remarkably like Tara. They hadn’t interviewed her or anything, so the context of her appearance wasn’t clear, but it was enough. The group grabbed the earliest flight to Portland they could get the next day.
[hr]
They found the shelter in question early the next afternoon and began showing Tara’s picture around. One of the staff, Judy by her nametag, stared intently at it. She called over another of the staff.

“Joan? Is it just me, or does this look like Angel?”

Angel flinched and Willow stared in confusion.

“Maybe 10 years ago. Why?”

“These folks are lookin’ for her.”

The second woman, Joan, took the picture and held it up for closer inspection. “Well, I kind of hope it’s Angel you’re looking for, ‘cause the girl could use some help, but if this is what she looked like last time you saw her then you’re in for a bit of a shock.

Willow shook her head. “She’s homeless? I mean – she lives here?”

“Oh, no, that’s not what I meant. She’s one of our staff.”
[hr]
Sitting with the Scooby Gang, Joan and Judy shared everything they knew about the girl calling herself Angel, after telling them that since they had no idea where she went before or after work, waiting for her at the shelter was their best chance of finding her.

“She came in about a month ago, looking to volunteer,” Joan began. “She seemed like a nice girl, so we gave her a shot. She worked hard, and everyone here really liked her. She always seemed a little bit sad, but she wasn’t big with the sharing and we never pushed. Then, about a week after we hired her, she…changed.”

“Changed how?” Willow asked thickly.

Judy picked up the story. “She changed her look – radically. Which isn’t usually a cause for concern or anything, but…well, it’s hard to explain. She started showing up with bruises, even a scar or two, and wouldn’t talk about any of it. And I don’t think she’s eaten since we’ve met her – she’s lost a dangerous amount of weight, to the point she looks worse than some of the people that live here. We’ve tried time and time again to get her to open up about whatever’s wrong, but all she’ll say to us is that she should be left alone.”

“Still totally friendly with all the people we’re helping, though,” Joan interjected, “just not with anybody who wants to talk about her.”

“Do you know where she’s been staying?” Buffy asked.

“She said something about living with family,” Judy said. Willow and Buffy exchanged shocked looks. “But I can’t see that.”

“Why not?”

“Because no-one who loved her would let her do this to herself.” Joan pointed toward the door, and the group turned as one to look. What they saw chilled them all.

The girl in the doorway resembled Tara, but barely. She had jet-black hair, which looked like it had been trimmed with a pair of hedge clippers. Her left arm was a mass of purple and yellow bruises, and a thin scar crossed the bridge of her nose. But the most striking thing was her weight. The curvy, voluptuous woman she’d been had been replaced by a waif. Through the black t-shirt she wore they could see the sharp jut of her ribs, and the ratty pants she sported were held up a shiny, plasticy-looking belt which looked like something a child would wear. She swayed slightly on her feet, as if the breeze through the open door was enough to push her over.

“Jesus…” whispered Buffy.

“Tara?” cried Willow, loud enough to turn heads. “Oh, baby, what did you do?”

Tara’s eyes widened and she turned to run, but her right knee buckled underneath her and she hit the floor in a heap. Angel and Spike ran to her sides and took her under the arms, carrying her over and placing her on the couch next to Willow, who pulled her close. “Tara…” she whispered, stroking the unfamiliar black hair on the back of her head.

“You can’t be here,” Tara muttered into her shoulder. “I’m not done yet…”

“Done what, sweetie?”

“Atoning…” she managed before she passed out.
[hr]
They drove her to the nearest hospital, which Joan gave them directions to. One look at her was enough for the doctor to bump her to the head of the emergency room lineup, and it was only minutes before she was being examined.

The doctor came out to the waiting area shaking his head. “Are any of you her family?” he asked the gang.

“I’m her wife,” Willow declared as she stood up. The doctor raised an eyebrow, but gestured for her to follow him to Tara’s room. He closed the door behind her.

“What exactly has she been doing?”

“I…don’t know. She came down here about a month ago to stay with family, and I haven’t heard from her in three weeks or so.”

“Well, whatever she’s been doing isn’t good for her.”

“How bad is it?”

“Well, she’s malnourished for one thing. We’ve got her on fluids, but if she doesn’t start eating soon she’s going to have serious health problems. Her left arm – the one with all the bruises – looks like it’s been hit repeatedly with something heavy. Some of the bruises are weeks old and some are days, but they’re all horrible. The scar on her nose looks like it was a jagged cut, likely from a bottle, and there’s a much larger one on the back of her head, mostly hidden by her hair. If I had to take a guess, I’d say someone’s been using her as a punching bag.”

Willow had clapped a hand to her mouth as he spoke, and began to cry as he finished. The doctor turned to go.

“Do you want me to send your friends in?”

“Can…no, give me a minute,” she replied.

“He nodded sympathetically and left, closing the door behind him. Willow sat on the edge of the bed and took Tara’s hand.

“Tara?” she whispered. Dazed blue eyes fluttered open to meet hers.

“Willow…”

“Shh. I’m going to talk, and you’re going to listen. We’re not okay - I’m still angry with you for leaving me and Anya the way you did, but this isn’t the time to talk about that. It can wait until you’re feeling better. Until then, you’re going to do what the doctor tells you. If he says eat, you eat. If he says sleep, sleep. Understand?”

Knowing this wasn’t going to be a two-way discussion, Tara nodded meekly.

“Good. And I want to know, right now, who gave you the cuts and bruises.”

“I…”

“Tara…”

“M-My father.”

“Your father? What the hell were you doing anywhere near your father?”

Tara flinched at the tone of her voice, and Willow forced herself to calm down a little. “Why?” she asked in a softer voice.

“My absolution. I t-thought if I looked after him, even after everything he’s done to me, that I’d feel better.”

“And he’s been beating you?”

“Only when I d-d-“

“Don’t you dare finish that word. I want directions to his house, Tara.”

“You can’t hurt him, Will! He’s m-my father…”

Willow forced down her rage. “Okay. I’ll just talk to him. I promise.”

A few minutes later, armed with the directions, Willow walked quickly back through the waiting area. “Angel, Spike, come with me. Buffy, can you watch over Tara?”

“Sure, but-“

“Good. Let’s go.” She slammed the door open and walked into the afternoon’s last light with a vicious gleam in her eye.
[hr]
If he’d been surprised to see Tara, her father was stunned to see who darkened his doorstep now.

“You. You filthy little-“

“I wouldn’t finish that sentence if you want to live much longer, mate,” Spike muttered.

“How dare you come to my home? After what you’ve done to my daughter…how dare you?”

“What I’VE done to your daughter?”

“Tara was a good girl. She did as she was told. Then she went to school, and had – whatever kind of a relationship she had with you, and then she wouldn’t come home when she should have. All because of you and that gang of freaks in the magic store.”

“So she comes back to you now in need of direction, and you beat her?”

“It’s called home correction, missy. And if your parents had practiced it a little more, my Tara would have been the better for it.”

“You son of a…” Willow started toward him, but Angel and Spike cut her off.

“No, Willow. You promised you wouldn’t hurt him. We didn’t.”

She turned away with a bitter smile as they took him into his house and discussed the ethics of beating up one’s daughter.
[hr]
Buffy turned as the hospital room door opened. She stared in shock at the figure who came through it.

“Hey, B. Is she okay?”

[hr]

Thus endeth the update! Hopefully it won't be another month before the next one! Thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 4/15)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:49 pm 
5. Willowhand

UPDATEUPDATEUPDATE!!!

That rat bastard! I knew that when she went back there her would beat her and the like, just because he's well, re:above see rat bastard! Heck, I think that maybe Tara maybe thought that she would be punished for what she had done. :paranoid But she already paid! Besides, no one does that kind of shit! (pardon my not french-french)

I think that Angel would have been a great resource for talking about atonement. And the irony of choosing that name hasn't been lost on me.

But YAY, Willow to the rescue. And Gods, how I wish I could actually see Spike and Angel beat the bejesus out of 'Mr' MaClay!!!

"The Hammer is my Penis," Captain Hammer, 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog.'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:54 pm 
8. Vixen

Jesus... I really thought Tara's dad wouldnt beat her again from when she first came home... he is really a sick wacko.
Let's hope Angel & Spike will do some home correction. :smash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:50 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

:wave Okay finally!! I just got done reading this story. I'm sleepy as hell :sleepy so I'ma make this short.. :clap THIS STORY KICKS ASS!!! :banana I love it so far. :fit2 Excuse my language, but I really fucking hate Tara's dad! (:fit2 I wonder if there a word lower that despise?) I was getting pissed reading his part. And I hope Angel and Spike fuck him up!! Cause Willow cant, but that doesnt mean the cant!! >:) But stedy still I'm loving this fic and I hope an update comes soon cause I'll be waiting.. :smash :flower

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next