The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (updated 1/21)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:10 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Wow, that is a HUGE revelation about Xander. Wow. I can see why Tara didn't tell Willow right away. Big yay for Willow making Tara look at the pictures of Anya - she needed to grieve. Very big chuckles at Giles delicately telling Buffy that she wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and that Willow was very likely spending time with Tara. Superlatively glad that you are continuing to update so regularly - great stuff. Looking forward to what's next.

ETA: I had accidentally written that Willow made Tara look at pictures of Xander, when I meant Anya. WHOOPS!

Last edited by FineyMcFine on Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:39 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Great Update!
I loved that Willow and Tara had to deal with many personal and emotional issues. And I especially love Willow's never-wavering support and love for Tara.
Also Giles's comment about Buffy being the longest lived slayer was funny. It really captured her character, coz we all know Buffy can be rather naive at times. Reminded me of the scene in Tough Love where she really believed that she stopped Willow from going after Glory, after she hurt Tara.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:26 pm 
5. Willowhand

Okay, sort of a short chapter this time, but it's a bridge to the big stuff. Feedbackmobile first, though:

SallyMcFine - I'm glad the photo scene came out well - it was a biggie, I thought, so I'm glad it read okay. I think if Tara's going to find the light then grief will play its role. The Giles scene was just kind of fun - somebody had to point out what Buffy was obviously not going to catch on her own. And way OT, but I think that's the first time I've ever seen superlatively used in a sentence - that was neat! Glad to hear you're enjoying the tale!

a willow angel - That's really what it's all about, I think - that Willow would never give up on Tara, any more than she'd give up on Willow. And I hadn't really thought about that scene from Tough Love for a while, but it was kind of similar, wasn't it? Thanks for reading!
[hr]
Chapter 7 - The Deep Breath Before the Plunge
Rating: R for language
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1.

“Supper was delicious, Will.”

“Good, I –hey, put those plates down! I told you we’ll take care of the dishes later. Let’s go put a movie on – I’ve got just the thing.”

Tara looked hesitant, and Willow’s heart stung just a little. “No worries, I promise. You’ll like this one.”

They proceeded into the living room, Tara grabbing a spot on the couch as Willow put a disc in the DVD player. She stretched out on the other side of the couch, resting her head in Tara’s lap.

“Oh, Will…” Tara breathed as the disc began to play; their wedding video, from the beginning. They both sniffled through it, Tara absently stroking Willow’s head. When it was over, she smiled down at her.

“Was that okay?”

“It was wonderful.” She thought for a moment. “Willow – who am I?”

“I don’t understand.”

“It’s just…ever since I grabbed hold of the darkness, it’s felt like – I don’t know, like it’s eating me away from within a little bit at a time. Like I’m losing me. Who am I, Will? Can you tell me – remind me a little?”

“Of course,” Willow replied as she sat up. “If there’s one subject I’m a scholar on, it’s you. You’re Tara Rosenberg-Maclay. You were born in 1980, the younger sibling of your brother Donny. You had a tough childhood – physically abused by your father and your brother, just like your mother was.” Willow shook her head at Tara’s shocked expression. “What – you thought just because you never flat out told me, I wouldn’t figure that out? It didn’t take Sherlock to puzzle that one out, love.” She took a deep breath and continued. “When you were 17 your mother died, and you took all the money she left you and ran to Sunnydale to go to University, hoping you’d moved far enough from your family that you’d escaped them forever. In your first year of university you joined a Wicca group, which was largely a waste of time but for one person you met there.”

Tara smiled a little. “Well, this story’s getting better already.”

“I don’t need to sum up the whole story, so I’ll stick to the Cliff’s notes. You made her a better person, better than she could ever have hoped to be. You changed her whole life with your love, and she was never the same. Time went by and you married her, bringing her a beautiful baby daughter. You want to know who you are, Tara? I can sum it up in five words for you: Lover, Mother, Wife, Friend, and Wicca. That’s all you need to know.

“Thank you.”

“Anytime. The night’s still young – what would you like to do for the rest of it?”

“I’d like to have a drink, maybe a dance…”

“Clubbing? Sounds like fun – you’re going to wear something other than p.j.’s, though?”

“I think so. You?”

“Yep,” Willow smiled over her shoulder as she headed for the laundry room.
[hr]
“Wow,” was all Willow could say. She’d been obeying Tara’s quiet request to wait in the kitchen until she was finished dressing, but she hadn’t been at all prepared for what she saw. Tara’s hair was piled on top of her head in a style that radiated simplicity and elegance, and her red dress – one Willow had never seen – was both low-cut and short, more daring than anything Willow had seen her wear in public. The dress was topped off by a pair of low-heeled black shoes, which she twirled on to give Willow a better view. She smiled.

“Is this okay?”

“Hold on while I wipe the drool from my chin…um, yeah, that’s a lot better than ok. When did you get that dress?”

“Not long after Anya was born – not that I fit into it then, of course. I was saving it for a special occasion.”

“Is tonight a special occasion?”

“A night out with Willow? Sounds pretty special to me. Not to mention that this is probably going to be the last time we go dancing before the apocalypse.”

“There is that. Okay, my turn to get dressed – although I think it’s going to be pretty inadequate now.”

“There’s a lot of words I’d use to describe you, Will, but inadequate’s not one of them. Ever.” Tara gave her a quick kiss. “Go get dressed.”

Willow headed for the bedroom, drastically revising her wardrobe choice in her head as she walked.
[hr]
They made quite a couple, and more than a few heads turned as they walked through the disco – not one of Rome’s more popular, but a fun little spot to dance – Faith had actually found it six months ago, and highly recommended it. Of course, Tara’d been a little big for dancing at that point, so they’d never been there before tonight. Willow’s revised outfit for the evening consisted of a sheer black dress with heeled shoes slightly higher than Tara’s. Her red hair hung loose over her shoulders, and Tara twirled it around a finger as they walked.

They made their way through the small crowd to the bar, where the exuberant bartender poured them a glass of red wine for Tara and a glass of ice water for Willow, who was mindful enough of her condition not to order anything alcoholic. They hung out at the bar for a few minutes, not really talking but just enjoying each other’s company – drinking, holding hands and a few exchanged smiles. After that they moved to the dance floor, where they quickly found their own rhythm and lost themselves in the dancing for a while. They were both flushed and out of breath when they returned to the bar and neither of them saw the man approach from behind them. “Hey,” he said in heavily accented English. “Why you two pretty girls dance with each other, when nice men want to dance?”

“Sorry,” said Willow, “not interested.”

“Maybe not you – but what about your friend here? She’s blonde and cute.”

“Not interested either,” Tara retorted. “Maybe you want to move on.”

“Or maybe I just need to convince you,” he replied, grabbing her by the arm. Tara’s eyes flashed cold black and he flew backwards across the disco, hitting the far wall next to the door and landing in a crumpled heap, obviously injured. Tara gasped and looked at Willow in shock. “Will – goddess…oh, no…I didn’t mean to do that. It was just he grabbed me, and I thought of Xander, and…no, please no…”

Willow turned to the bartender. “Call an ambulance!” She grabbed Tara. “It’s okay, baby, he put his hands on you, it wasn’t your fault-“

“Yes it was! The darkness in me – it’s always going to be there! Is this going to happen the next time I get angry with you? Or with anyone else? I can’t take the chance, I just can’t!”

“Tara, come on. Let’s get out of here, and we can talk.”

“But that guy-“

“Will be fine. The paramedics’ll take good care of him. And besides, what would you say to the police – that you magickally threw him across the room?” She grabbed Tara’s arm and led her outside, where they walked until they found a coffee shop that wasn’t horribly crowded. Willow grabbed them two decaf lattes while Tara found a seat far from the crowd. Spotting her, Willow sat next to her and put an arm around her as she shook like a leaf.

“Tara, you need to calm down – it’s just going to get worse if you don’t get ahold of yourself.”

“How can I calm down?” Tara shot back in a voice much louder than she’d intended, turning more than a few heads their way. She lowered her voice and continued. “Did you see what I did? I could have killed him! I almost did! Oh, Will, I can’t do this…”

“You can! I know you can. That was just…a setback, that’s all.”

Tara laughed with no humor in her voice. “A setback? And what do we call it when I do kill someone? A relapse? You don’t understand – I didn’t even reach for the darkness this time, it was just there! It’s taking all of me, and there’s going to be nothing left.” She shrugged off Willow’s arm with an expression that showed crushing disappointment and hopelessness. “I’m afraid to even touch you, Willow. I’m scared because I don’t know what might happen – what I might do. Maybe…I should just be alone.”

“Never. Being alone is the worst thing – the absolute worst thing – you could do right now. You need to stay with me, let me help you.”

When she finally replied, Tara’s voice was very small. “But what if I hurt you? Will, I couldn’t live with myself…”

“You won’t. It’ll be all right. I know that you won’t.” Willow clasped her hand. “Drink your coffee, and let’s go get the car – there’s a stop I have to make on the way home.”

“A stop?”

“I just want to pick up something from Buffy’s.” At Tara’s panicked expression, she rushed to amend her words. “Don’t worry – no-one needs to know you’re there, I promise. I’ll just run in and get it, and then we’ll go. Don’t worry, okay?”

Tara nodded, obviously still hesitant.
[hr]
“What can I do for you, Will?”

“Um…this might sound a little weird, but can I borrow your Scythe?”

“Sure…but for what?”

“Well, I have this theory – maybe there’s still some magic in it we can use to fight these hell guys.”

“You really think so?”

“Well, it’s just a theory. But anything’s worth a try, isn’t it?”

“Sure it is. Faith, do you want to grab it? It’s in the chest.” She turned back to Willow. “Do you want to come in for a coffee or anything? We never see you anymore.”

“Yeah, sorry about that. Just haven’t felt real peopley lately. Maybe I’ll take you up on the coffee another time – for now, I just want to get home and try this out.”

Faith stood beside Buffy and handed Willow the Scythe. “Good luck, Red,” she said intently, the look in her eyes letting the witch know she had some idea what she was up to.

“Thanks, Faith. Good night, guys!” She headed back to the still-running car, where Tara was slouched down in her seat trying to remain out of sight. Willow put the Scythe on the back seat, noticing Tara’s wry smile. “What?”

“So, are you going to decapitate me or stake me?”

Willow patted her hand. “Neither. I think I can help you with this, but first we’re going to get some sleep.”

Tara fumbled for the words she wanted as Willow stepped on the gas. “But…what if I hurt you during the night, or have a bad dream that sets me off, or…”

“Tare, you slept with me fine last night, and I know tonight will be no different. You just have to relax and not think about it too much. By tomorrow night, I think you’ll feel a little better.”

A small nod and hopeful expression were Tara’s only reply.
[hr]
“Four days,” was the first thing Tara said after they exchanged good mornings.

“What’s that?”

“Four days…that’s all I’ve got left to decide. Four days till the end of the world.”

“Let’s not focus on that right now – let’s just have some breakfast, okay?”

“I’d rather you tell me what you’ve got planned with that Scythe.”

“Can we eat first?” At Tara’s look, she sighed. “Okay – here’s what I’m thinking. When I tapped into the power of that thing to awaken the Slayers, I touched the essence of white magic – you saw it, and I know you felt it.” Tara nodded. “I’m guessing I can still touch that essence through it, even if I’m not casting a spell, and connect you to it with me. It should help fight the darkness.”

“Are you s-sure?”

“Not even a little bit. Just kind of guessing and hoping. But it should work…”

“When are we going to try?”

“After breakfast. We’ll both need energy if this does what I think it will.”

After a hearty meal, Willow had Tara sit facing her, with the Scythe in the middle. “I’m going to lay my hands on it, and then you lay your hands on top of mine, okay?”

“Okay – but how will we know if it’s working?”

“We’ll know.”

They took their positions, and Willow reached down into herself, looking for what she’d felt the first time she’d interacted with the weapon. At first it seemed to be gone, the power that had been there stripped, when suddenly Tara groaned.

“Willow…what’s h-happening?”

She looked up to see Tara twitching like she was touching a live wire. She tried to let go, to stop the flow of energy, but was unable. Tara’s eyes rolled back and her head lolled backward on her neck as her body began to radiate a white glow. Her hair turned pure white, and Willow smiled with the knowledge that her idea had worked. But then something else began to happen. Tara’s eyes turned black as coal, and the white glow suffusing her was shot through with evanescent black streaks. She twitched for a few moments longer, and when she recovered she looked at Willow with different colored eyes, her hair a mix of pure white and pure black.

“Um…just g-guessing, but I don’t think this is right…”

“Wait a minute – I don’t get it…that should have…huh?”

A voice from beside her made her jump. “Allow me to explain.”

Willow’s eyes widened as she took in the being beside her. “The First Slayer? Um…hi.”

“Yes. We have met before, you and I.”

“When you tried to kill me. Yeah, I tend to remember things like that.”

The primitive smiled, an expression more menacing than comforting. “Yes. But there are more urgent matters to discuss. You have no comprehension of what you’ve just done.”

“What I’ve done? You’re right, I don’t understand. Why didn’t the Scythe just make her glowy, like it did with me?”

“The weapon is connected to the essence of magick, as you deduced. But it the weapon of the Slayer – and thus connected to the essence of the Slayer as well. And that essence is demon – a creature of darkness. It is both of these essences that now reside in this one.”

“But why didn’t that happen when I used it before?”

“When you called on the weapon, you called on its magickal essence to perform the empowerment spell, and the Slayer essence had no chance to exert itself. This time you called blindly on the weapon’s power, and you received it – both sides of it.”

Tara, who’d remained quiet to that point, spoke up. “So what does this mean for me? Am I good, or evil?”

“Neither,” replied the primitive. “You now possess within you the powers of absolute good and absolute evil, in perfect balance. How you use these powers, which essence you partake of, is as always your decision. But there is one further thing you must know – now that you are a creature of absolutes, the side of the apocalypse on which you fight shall be triumphant. Without question. Choose wisely – farewell.” With that the Slayer departed, leaving Tara staring at her feet as Willow searched for something to say.

“Tara, I-“

“Don’t, Willow. Just don’t. I…I’m sorry. I’m trying hard not to be angry with you, because I know you were trying to help, but this is so much worse. This decision was going to be hard enough before I knew that I was the ace in the hole for whoever I picked.” Tara exhaled loudly, trying to calm herself. “But hey, on the bright side, since the light and dark are balanced, I can’t feel the dark pressing on me like before – so that’s a plus.”

“I’m sorry, love. I didn’t mean to.”

“I know. And you warned me that you weren’t sure. It’s not your fault, it’s just hard.”

“So what do we do now?”

“I d-don’t know.”
[hr]
“So this is what we have,” Buffy said loudly, drawing the attention of those gathered in the palatial yard of Slayer Central. “A hundred slayers, give or take. A god and a vampire. A human and an ex-vampire. And one witch – two if we’re very fortunate. And four days.” She paced for a moment before addressing the crowd again. “And we’re fighting an army 10, maybe 20 times our size. The odds aren’t exactly in our favor.”

One of the younger slayers put her arm up. “Save your questions, okay?” Buffy said gently. “So we’re the underdogs – but we’re slayers. None of you have been in a situation like this before, but this is what we do – it’s what we’re born for. I’ve laid down my life twice for this world, and all of you have to be prepared to do the same. I-“ she stopped as the crowd began to murmur, staring at something behind her.

She turned, only to be embraced by one of the last beings she’d expected to see. “What are you doing here?” Buffy asked as her kissed her on the cheek.

The Immortal smiled. “Well, firstly I came to see if what I’d heard abroad was true – that the beautiful Buffy was awake.”

Slayer hearing picked up Faith muttering “keep your paws off, asshole,” under her breath.

“But mainly,” the Immortal continued, “I’m here to pledge my resources to the struggle. These creatures do not attack my city unpunished. When you most need my army, it will be there. You have my word.” He looked out at the crowd. “I’m sorry to have interrupted.”

“Please,” insisted Buffy. “You’re always welcome. Will you be staying?”

He smiled expansively. “No, I’m afraid there’s much to prepare before the battle. I will see you soon.”

And just as silently as he had appeared, he was gone. Buffy shook her head, and gave Faith a little smile to let her know she’d heard the comment before she looked out at the crowd again.

“Now, I’ve heard the mutterings in the house – it’s hard not to. You’re worried, scared. You think you might die. Well, you’re right. I’m not going to sugarcoat this, ‘cause the Council should have explained it. We’re not playing war here, and we’re not on some training mission staking a newly risen vamp who’s more afraid of you than you are it. This is the real deal – and everything depends on us. You might die – but if you do, it’ll be for the cause. And that’s all the comfort I can offer you. Now, Faith’s got a few words of her own – and I suggest you listen up.”

Faith took center stage, staring intently at the young slayers. “Alright – I ain’t big on the speeches, so I’ve just got one thing to say. You’re Slayers. The chosen few. In four days, you’re going to do your damn job and save the world. And I don’t want to hear no more bitching from any of you. Understood?” She saw a few nods from the slayers and decided that was as good as she was going to get. “Okay then – here’s the schedule for training – we’re going 24/7 until the big hairball, so learn your schedule and sleep when you can.”
[hr]
“Wesley…I fail to comprehend this situation.”

Wes looked up from the spellbook he was intently studying.

“What’s that?”

Ilyria shot an annoyed glance at him. “I said I fail to comprehend this situation.”

“What part of it? You were there when the Partners warned us this would happen.”

“I was. I understand our presence here – what I fail to comprehend is the witch.”

“Willow?” Ilyria shook her head. “Oh, you mean Tara.”

“Yes. She has the potential to cause severe damage to our side of this fight should she turn. And yet, we are in striking distance of her and we do nothing.”

“And what would you have us do?”

“Kill her! Strike her down while we can, and save us an obstacle.”

“That’s not how humanity does things, Ilyria.”

“But why? Why let her live?”

“Because to kill her in cold blood would make us no better than the Partners and their armies. She has in her, as do we all, the potential to be good or evil. And we can’t take a life just because that person might be evil. They have to be allowed to prove themselves, to show what they believe in.”

“Even if that means she kills or wounds us?”

“Yes.”

She cocked her head and stared at him for a long moment. “You are strange creatures.”

“We are.”
[hr]
The next three days were quiet – the calm before the storm. Buffy and Faith trained the Slayers, and even Giles took some sparring rotations with them. Angel and Spike occupied themselves by sparring every waking moment, and Wes and Ilyria largely kept to themselves. Willow spent the days and nights with Tara, loving and being loved, praying that she’d done enough to help Tara back into the light. And Tara herself had a brief exchange with a spirit on the third night that Willow wasn’t privy to.

“Mom?”

“Hello, Tara.”

She jumped from the bed and ran to her mother, wrapping the spirit in a tight hug. “Oh, mama, I’m sorry for what I said to you – how I acted. I hope someday you can think better of me.”

“Tara, my child, you spoke from grief and anger. I love you, and I always will. But I haven’t come for an apology. The Powers…would like to know if you’ve made a decision.”

“I have – but it’s a little complicated.” Tara laid out her plan, and Mary’s eyes widened.

“Are you sure? You realize what you’re committing yourself to?”

“Yes. It’s the only way – I know what has to be done, and I’m the only one who can do it.”

“You’re such a brave girl, Tara. I’m so proud of you.”

“Do you think it’ll work?”

“I do – it’s going to take powerful magick, but I know you can do it.”

Tara sighed. “Are you going to stay?”

“No…I’m just a messenger – cosmic fed-ex, if you will. I’ve got to return to the spirit roads.”

“Okay. I love you, Mom.”

“I love you too. Take care, Tara.”

Mary’s image faded and disappeared, and Tara crawled gently back into bed so as not to wake Willow. She wasn’t sleepy any longer, though – her eyes were wide open and clear as she worked out the details of what would happen the next morning.
[hr]
And thus ends the last night before the end of the world. Update soonish, I hope - these last few chapters are taking me longer than anticipated. Thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (updated 1/26)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:26 am 
2. Floating Rose

Great Update! Poor Tara, but cool plot twist. I'm really curious about Tara's plan too. Makes a great cliffhanger.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:39 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Tarafied4Life wrote:
“Yes. It’s the only way – I know what has to be done, and I’m the only one who can do it.”

Cliff-hangery goodness

Willow is showing such strength, helping Tara back from the darkness. And now Tara is infused with the essence of the original slayer? Oh boy. This battle is going to be a doozie.

Guess we'll see what the power of love can do, eh?

Looking forward to the next bit.

Michelle

Last edited by mole on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:10 am 
2. Floating Rose

you know, i have never left feedback for this fic. and i am sorry. i think this story is amazing. i'm at work, so i can't give you the feedback you deserve but as soon as i find the time...well i'll leave you better feedback. but really, awesome story, can't wait for more.

stace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:12 pm 
3. Flaming O

I just found this story today, and I could hardly wait to leave feedback! I've read through the whole first part of the story - through the closing of the Hellmouth in Rome - and I just LOVE IT! The pacing of the tale, the feel of the characters, the dialogue... it's all so similar to a real Buffy episode. And what an impressive, engaging plot you've created! Once I started reading, I was completely sucked in. (Shh... don't tell... I've been reading all morning at the office!)

I absolutely can't wait to keep reading! I think I'm going to force myself to try to wait until the next part is complete, though. I'm HORRIBLE at waiting for updates. Normally I only read completed works, but when I started to skim over Life's Chronicles to see if it was something I'd be interested in reading, I just couldn't stop!

I have a deep and abiding love for Tara, so I understand why many authors avoid the S7 story arc altogether. You've succeeded in merging two worlds here: the happy-go-lucky-Tara's-alive-and-well Kitten world, and the S7 (and beyond) Buffyverse. The results are wonderful! Your story is imaginative without being over the top (a difficult distinction for MANY authors), and true to the show we all know and love.

Yay for you!!! Please keep up the terrific work. Thanks so much for sharing your creative, well-written story... Your work is appreciated! :clap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:13 pm 
3. Flaming O

I just found this story today, and I could hardly wait to leave feedback! I've read through the whole first part of the story - through the closing of the Hellmouth in Rome - and I just LOVE IT! The pacing of the tale, the feel of the characters, the dialogue... it's all so similar to a real Buffy episode. And what an impressive, engaging plot you've created! Once I started reading, I was completely sucked in. (Shh... don't tell... I've been reading all morning at the office!)

I absolutely can't wait to keep reading! I think I'm going to force myself to try to wait until the next part is complete, though. I'm HORRIBLE at waiting for updates. Normally I only read completed works, but when I started to skim over Life's Chronicles to see if it was something I'd be interested in reading, I just couldn't stop!

I have a deep and abiding love for Tara, so I understand why many authors avoid the S7 story arc altogether. You've succeeded in merging two worlds here: the happy-go-lucky-Tara's-alive-and-well Kitten world, and the S7 (and beyond) Buffyverse. The results are wonderful! Your story is imaginative without being over the top (a difficult distinction for MANY authors), and true to the show we all know and love.

Yay for you!!! Please keep up the terrific work. Thanks so much for sharing your creative, well-written story... Your work is appreciated! :clap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:24 pm 
3. Flaming O

weird... my browser went funky when I was posting my feedback, and it seems to have appeared twice...

Guess I was meant to praise you twice, Heather! :applause

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:25 pm 
8. Vixen

Oh my, I missed some updates!!! Sorry about that.

[blockquote]The words were barely out of her mouth when Faith emerged from the kitchen, wearing a dark blue apron over her black leather pants and black top and carrying a platter of cookies. [/blockquote]

Haha! That made me laugh out loud... and everybody else in this house was already asleep... :blush
Very intense emotions you have going on here and I'm loving it. Xander's attempted rape: shocking! I would have never expected that. And when Willow forced Tara to look at the photos. Even though they share this similiar experience with the darkness, Tara's is so much more profound. It just takes my breath away.
Also liking that Wes is alive. Keep it up!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:31 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

I do love Wes and Illyria and I'm glad they're here. It's odd that Tara is confounded by the knowledge that whatever side she chooses will win, because isn't it a good thing to know that the Light will triumph? I guess she has the Partners' threat to contend with about killing Willow, though, so that might account for her reluctance. VERY curious about what her plan is; I can't figure a way out of this one. Can't wait for the end of the world!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:27 pm 
5. Willowhand

Okay, bring on the apocalypse! Wait, that didn't sound right...

a willow angel - Unfortunately the cliff hanger isn't going to get answered quite yet, but I'm glad you liked the essences twist.

mole - That's the question, isn't it? What can the power of love do? Willow really has shown incredible strength to help Tara come so far, but the last part is out of her hands...

Aine - Thank you so much for the feedback - it's always appreciated. I'm glad you're liking the tale, and I hope it continues to interest.

edgyqueen - You're making me blush! :blush You're too kind, really! I'm happy the first part of the tale felt episodic - that's kind of the feel I was looking for, so it's nice to hear that it worked out that way. As far as reading at the office - well, I've been writing it at the office, so I guess we're even! :-D It'll probably be a few weeks before the second part is through, if you're holding out for that.

I definitely share your love for Tara - she was what drew me in originally, because I shared so many qualities with S4 Tara. As far as merging the two worlds, I was just relieved when I started writing and it seemed to work. Thank you so much for all your kind words (twice), and I hope you enjoy part two of the tale - it's much different than the first part, but I hope it's still fun for you to read.

WillowRulez - Welcome back! Sorry for waking your housemates by making you laugh, though. :-D Tara's tour of the dark is definitely on a different scale than Willow's, but Willow has certainly been an incredible stabilizing influence on her. It's good to know the intensity of the emotions is coming through, and as far as Wes - he just had to be there! Thanks for reading!

SallyMcFine - I think that's the biggest reason for Tara's hesitance - the knowledge that someone she loves is in mortal danger no matter who she fights for. But then there's the plan...

Chapter 8 - And If They Lay Us Down to Rest...
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1.

Willow woke to find Tara’s side of the bed empty and long cold, a short note on her pillow.

Willow:

I’m sorry to leave without saying goodbye, but you were sleeping so peacefully I couldn’t bear to wake you. I couldn’t help giving you a kiss, though – never could. Thank you, my love, for all that you’ve done for me this last little while; helping me bear my grief, dull my anger, reminding me who I am, and letting me know that you still loved me as much as I still love you.

I wish I could have stayed with you until the battle begins, but I can’t put off this decision any longer and I need to make it alone. I’ll see you at sundown, when this whole thing starts. Just remember – please remember – no matter what happens today, I. Love. You. You are the only thing in my whole world that has always made sense to me, and the only thing I could never give up. Never doubt what you mean to me, and please take good care of our babies – the wonderful new life I feel inside you – should anything happen to me. Stay safe, Will.

Still under your spell,

Tara

Willow choked back a few tears as she inhaled Tara’s scent from her pillow. “I love you too, baby,” she said to the empty bedroom. “Please come back to us.”
[hr]
Buffy lay wrapped in Faith’s arms, trying hard not to think about what was about to happen. “You know,” she muttered, “I think there should be a moratorium on apocalypses after this. I’m sick of them – especially since they usually end up with me dead, or stabbed, or crazy. Let someone else handle them from now on.”

“I’m with you, B. If we could just go for like, two years without an apocalypse that’d be great. Wasn’t the whole point of Red’s spell supposed to be that we didn’t have to be the only ones dealing with this shit?”

“I thought so. Speaking of Willow, I wonder how she’s doing. I wonder…I wonder how Tara’s doing.”

“B…if she didn’t get turned back to our side – I hate to say this, but we’re going to have to make her our number one target. We can’t afford to have someone who knows us that well calling the shots for the bad guys.”

“I know. I just can’t think about that – even if we had no choice, I don’t think I could ever forgive myself. And I know Willow never would.”

“Not easy for me either, B. T didn’t know me from Adam, and the first time I ever met her I treated her like somethin’ I scraped off the bottom of my shoe, but she still treated me like a decent person – never made me do time for what happened in the past. She’s one of the few people I could ever call my friend. But if it comes down to us or her, I’ve gotta choose us.” She patted Buffy’s shoulder. “I’ve got too much to live for.”
[hr]
Spike wiped the blood from his nose. “You ponce! You absolute wanker! I can’t believe you hit me with a shoe!”

“Sorry, Spike – I was trying to kick you, it just sort of flew off my foot-OW!” he yelled as Spike whipped the shoe back at him, catching him square in the forehead. “Son of a…”

Spike put a hand up as Angel prepared to retaliate. “Angel…we don’t have a chance here, do we?”

“No. Likely not. Even with everything we’ve got – I just don’t think so. Even if we somehow pull it off, we’re going to lose a lot of good people.”

“Including Tara.”

“Probably. I just don’t know if she can come back from where she’s been.”

“The thing that bugs me – hell, the thing that haunts me – is that I could have stopped all of this. If I’d looked a little closer before I picked up the bit, she would never have had to go through this. She’d still be our Glinda, and we wouldn’t be sitting here wondering if she’ll kill us before we kill her.”

“Things happen, Spike. All of her decisions were – are – still hers. You didn’t kill the baby on purpose, so there’s no fault. Do you wish you could have done it differently? Of course. But you can’t now. All we can do is fight the good fight, same as always.” He sniffed the air. “Sundown’s not too far away.” He thought about sparring some more for a moment, and finally turned to Spike with a rueful grin. “Want to prepare for a battle your way?”

“You serious?” Angel nodded. “I’ll be damned. Grab a seat at the bar, I’ll pour.”
[hr]
Sundown had come far too quickly for all of them. The core of Buffy’s group had dispersed themselves throughout the Slayers with whispered goodbyes and wishes of good luck, while Angel’s group had taken point. Buffy herself led the field as they stood and waited for the inevitable. Giles had contacted the council, who’d given them the most likely location that a portal to the underworld would open, but had very little else in the way of useful information. Most distressingly, with only minutes to go, there was no sign of Tara. Buffy looked questioningly back at Willow, who met her look with a shrug. Don’t Know, she mouthed.

A horrendous ripping noise sounded around them, and Buffy signaled for readiness as she faced forward. The portal began to appear, slowly at first but gaining speed as it got bigger. Angel shuddered at its similarity to the Quor’toth portal that Holtz had taken Connor through years ago – it was the same angry red inside, but dozens of times the size. As they all waited for it to disgorge the armies it held, Tara appeared suddenly in front of it, facing them with an unreadable expression. Willow called her name, but she didn’t seem to hear.

“All of you!” she called in an amplified voice. “The woods are lovely, dark and deep…and I, unfortunately, have promises to keep. I won’t sacrifice Willow for anything, not even if it means the end of the world – and if I don’t fight for the Partners, she’s going to be the price. I can’t live with that. But I’ve managed to beg one favor from the Partners – any of you who will lay down your arms now will be spared. It’s the best offer you’re going to get, so I beg you to take it.”

Not a person among them moved. “Tara…” Willow whispered. “I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you.”

“Very well. Then let’s finish this.” She raised her arm, and demons began to pour from the portal.
[hr]
The demons were of every conceivable shape and size, and Buffy fought down the panic that threatened to overwhelm her. She heard Spike’s angry cry as he rushed the army, and managed to get her own feet moving to stay in step with him. The Slayers, armed with heavy swords and led by Faith, weren’t far behind her, and Angel’s crew kept pace on the other side. Two dragons circled overhead as the two sides met in a clash of flesh and steel.

Of all of them, it was Ilyria who drew first blood. Sweeping aside several of the smaller demons like toys, she grabbed the head of a Polgara and ripped it from its shoulders with a wet tearing noise. As the ichor in its veins showered down around her, she smiled just a little. Beside her Wesley was tossing fireballs left and right, taking out the smaller demons she’d left in her wake. She noticed a stubby demon she couldn’t identify sneaking up behind him and put a fist through it.

Spike had abandoned any semblance of a plan, just grabbing for whatever demons happened to be within reach and searching for a quick kill – snapped neck, finger in the eye, whatever it took. Angel had vamped and scanned the battlefield for anywhere their line had begun to look weak, jumping in wherever necessary to shore it up. “Look out!” he called to Faith as one of the dragons swooped in low, aiming a steady stream of fire at the group of Slayers. They ducked, but not before two of them were caught in the flame and burned to a cinder. Faith winced as she nocked an arrow in her crossbow, taking aim at the dragon. “The throat!” cried Angel. “Aim for its throat!” She nodded her thanks and let fly, but the arrow missed by a foot and buried itself in the dragon’s back. It roared in pain and flew higher, continuing to circle.

“Shit!” Faith cried, regaining her feet and jumping back into the fray. Giles had approached from behind her and was locked in combat with a demon two or three times his size. He scored a killing blow and ducked in time to avoid the clawed hand that swiped at him from behind. Buffy, wielding the scythe, was making short work of those in range, but it was obvious that they were going to be overwhelmed quickly. She looked back at Willow, who was still standing in the same spot and staring at her feet. “Will!” she screamed. “We need you – get in the game!”

Red hair fell back from her face as she looked up, new determination in her eyes. She directed her gaze toward Tara, who’d as yet played no part in the battle, only directing the armies emerging from the portal, and muttered a quick spell to immobilize her. Tara’s gaze snapped to her, and she raised a hand to deflect the spell harmlessly away. Willow braced for retaliation, but Tara simply tipped her an exaggerated wink and tapped the side of her nose with an index finger. Something about the absurd gesture – and something about Tara’s appearance – struck her, but she had no idea why, so she turned her attention to the demons that continued to pour forth, alternating between spells to cause them harm and spells to protect the people on her side. For her part, Tara raised her hands and sent several impressive-looking blasts into the Slayers, but none of them seemed to cause any damage.
[hr]
The battle had lasted almost twenty minutes, with no discernible advantage for either side. The demons continued to come, but the Slayers and their side were taking them out nearly as fast as they appeared. But the dragons, who’d seemed virtually uninterested to this point, seemed to respond to a command unheard by the rest of them. They dove from the sky, raining fire in straight lines right through the heart of the battle. The crossed lines of fire made it difficult to escape, and two more slayers lost their lives to the dragons. As they came around for another pass, Faith let fly with a crossbow bolt, and this time she didn’t miss. The dragon landed heavily in the middle of the battlefield, breathing its last. The other seemed to aim directly for Spike, who waited for an opening and jumped on as it came by, keeping a desperate grip on its tail. They were out of the fight, one for good and the other at least temporarily, but the damage was done – the forces of light were scattered and disorganized, and still the demons came.

Gunn, arriving late to the battle, squared off with Wesley. “Come on, then, Wes. Let’s do this. I always knew I’d get around to kicking your ass one of these days. Today works for me.”

“Do you think I’ve forgotten your part in Fred’s death? That little poke I gave you with the doctor’s knife is going to seem like a paper cut when I’m done.”

The two former friends raised their swords – Charles’ glowed with dark energy, a weapon of the Partners, while Wes had gone back his old gadget, the sword that extended from the holster attached to his arm. Gunn attacked with pure fury and power, bashing at Wesley’s defenses as he backed up and parried with almost classical fencing technique. After a few minutes of mounting frustration, Gunn pulled back to regroup. Ilyria had seen them in action and stepped toward Gunn, but Wesley waved her back. She headed toward the crumbling front line as the former watcher went on the attack. It became obvious quickly that his patience and technical skill were overcoming Gunn’s brute strength, and Gunn seemed to realize it too as he looked around for somewhere to run. Wes took advantage of the distraction to duck under his swing and grab his sword arm with one hand as he ran him through. Gunn collapsed to the ground, the life slowly leaving his eyes.

Wes knelt next to him, unable to keep the tears from his eyes or the regret from his voice. “I’m sorry, Charles.”

“Me…too. You beat me good, English.” He gave a ghost of a smile and closed his eyes, the sporadic rising and falling of his chest coming to a stop.

Around them, things were quickly coming apart. The demons had found and exploited the holes in the lines and flanked some of the smaller groups of slayers, surrounding them in tight circles and making it nearly impossible to defend themselves effectively. Casualties began to mount as the least experienced of the new slayers were overcome.

High above the battlefield, Spike had managed to pull himself up from the dragon’s tail to a spot just behind its neck. The creature roared and bucked, turning upside down in an attempt to dislodge him, but he held fast. He reached into the pocket of his duster and pulled out the only weapon he still had – a stake. With all the strength he could muster, he drove the stake into the beasts’ throat and pulled back as flame shot from the wound. The dragon began to free fall from the sky, Spike still holding on for dear life. “Bugger,” he muttered to himself. “Maybe I should have waited till he was a little lower.”

Ilyria looked skyward and saw where the dragon was going to land. She slowed time for everyone around her and took off running to shove Buffy out of the dragon’s path, nearly clearing the point of impact herself before her control of the time flow gave out and the enormous beast hit the ground – its torso catching her right leg underneath it. Godlike strength or not, the sheer bulk of the dragon falling at such speed crushed the bones in her leg and she screamed in pain. Buffy and a few of the Slayers lifted it enough to pull her out, but it was quickly obvious that she couldn’t stand. She looked fiercely at Buffy. “Lift me up,” she insisted. “I will not bow out for this – stand me up and give me a weapon!” They did, and she rested all of her weight on her left leg as she began to swing her sword at anything in range. Buffy shook her head and rejoined the fray.
[hr]
The battlefield was chaos in every sense. Spike had leapt clear of the dragon on impact, and quickly ran to Angel’s side, mainly because he was the only ally visible. Elsewhere, most of the combatants on either side were striking out blindly at whatever was in range as the sheer numbers made it nearly impossible to choose targets. Suddenly a palpable change rippled the air, and demon and man alike turned to see its source. The Immortal’s forces, numbering perhaps a hundred with he himself at their head, were rushing in from all sides and the demons quickly began to fall before them. Buffy and Angel gathered their forces as best they could and followed in their wake.

They had fought their way back almost to the portal when the demons began a ferocious counterattack, led by several demons nearly double the size of the dragons wielding massive flails. The collected force pulled back to regroup, still besieged from all sides. Spike began to falter as he was set upon by four horned creatures armed with jewel-encrusted short swords. He parried and spun, managing to hold them off for a few minutes, but they were proving too much for him when Angel leapt in to block a potential killing blow aimed at his neck. Spike grinned and began to thank him when he saw a fifth creature swinging at Angel from behind. He shrugged off the four and tried to push Angel out of the way, but he was a fraction of a second too late – and Angel, beheaded, turned to dust.

“NOOOOOO!” Spike screamed, setting upon the creatures with rage beyond thought or reason. He cut them down in short order and knelt next to all that remained of his grandsire and closest companion, weeping bitter tears, oblivious to everything around him.
[hr]
Willow risked another glance toward Tara, who remained to the rear of the enemy lines directing the demons as they exited the portal – which was beginning to shrink as the last of them poured out of it. The tickle at the back of her brain intensified as she looked, and her subconscious finally coughed up what had been bothering her earlier – Tara’s hair was neither black nor white, only her natural blonde, and her eyes didn’t appear black, at least from a distance. She tried to puzzle out exactly what that meant, but came up with nothing before she directed her attention back to the battle and began tossing spells again, with a certainty growing inside her that she was nearing the end of her magickal reserves.

Wes had managed to rejoin Ilyria during the confusion created by the arrival of the Immortal’s forces, and stood back to back with her cutting down anything close enough to hit.

“Wesley!” she cried above the din. “You’re needed elsewhere!”

“No!” he shouted back. “You’re immobile – I won’t leave you to fight alone!”

She spun to face him. “I will triumph here without help. Now go!” She pushed him hard enough to land him in the middle of a group of slayers, who pulled him to his feet and forward with them as they charged one of the flail-wielding giants. Ilyria winced momentarily at the extra pressure she’d put on her broken leg, and then smiled at his back as he was swept out of her sight. “Fight well, Wesley,” she whispered.

Buffy hadn’t seen Angel fall, but she heard Spike’s agonized scream and saw him kneeling on the ground offering no resistance to the demons around him. She kicked aside some sort of wolf/shark cross and headed his way, only to be thrown a hundred feet the other direction as one of the flails caught her a glancing blow. She landed hard, coughing up small amounts of blood as she rose slightly before collapsing in a heap. Faith led an immediate charge against the giant responsible, taking 10 slayers in with her as Willow cast a spell to slow it down. As the slayers chopped at its legs, Faith climbed the giant like a tree and put a sword through its eye, riding it down to the ground. The battlefield shook with the thunderous impact as the creature fell, and combat seemed to slow almost to a stop as both sides took in the sight.

Taking advantage of the brief lull, the demons pulled back toward the portal and reformed their lines. The other side did the same, limping slowly back into some kind of formation – Wes helping Ilyira as Faith carried the nearly unconscious Buffy and a group of slayers pulled Spike, who offered neither help nor resistance. Wes and Faith realized almost at the same time that Angel was nowhere to be seen, and suddenly understood Spike’s near-catatonia. A single tear ran down Faith’s face, tracing a course through the dirt that covered it, and Wesley simply bowed his head. Fortunately Buffy was still too out of it to see, and Willow had ended up near the back of the ranks and hadn’t noticed his absence. Faith looked back at the forces they had left. Nearly half the slayers were gone, only four or five of the Immortal’s army remained, Ilyria was crippled and Buffy unconscious, and Angel was down.

She looked across at the other side. In front of the portal, closing rapidly now, were better than five hundred demons, and at least two more giants. They were finished – she knew it. They were horribly outnumbered, and down a general. As she stared hopelessly, Tara rose high in the air above hell's army, and spoke in the same amplified voice she had earlier.

“Now,” she said in a low tone. “It’s my turn.”
[hr]
Sorry for the cliffhanger, again. Part two of the apocalypse is on its way soon!

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (updated 1/30)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:08 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

You certainly do like the cliffhangers. :bow

This was gripping, and I can't wait to see what Tara has up her sleeve. She has to be on the side of the good, otherwise her Mom wouldn't have approved so heartily of her plan. I just hope none of the Scoobies' side take it into their heads to attack her, but I'm betting they do! I'm confident that W&T will save the day however.

I've just caught up with this fic, having been away, and found at least 2 updates since I last read this story. (which was nice) Looking forward to the big finish (of the battle). Are you planning to continue beyond that and show us their lives with the twins, post apocalypse? I hope so.

Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:34 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Grr.....how soon is soon?

Quote:
“Now,” she said in a low tone. “It’s my turn.”

Cliffhanger indeed!

Quote:
Red hair fell back from her face as she looked up, new determination in her eyes. She directed her gaze toward Tara, who’d as yet played no part in the battle, only directing the armies emerging from the portal, and muttered a quick spell to immobilize her. Tara’s gaze snapped to her, and she raised a hand to deflect the spell harmlessly away. Willow braced for retaliation, but Tara simply tipped her an exaggerated wink and tapped the side of her nose with an index finger.

Tara certainly has something planned, some way to beat the Partners but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it is. I hope Willow and the gang realize something's up before they try to take Tara out.

Personally, I've still got my trust pinned to the power of love to overcome this mess.

Thanks for the great read!
Michelle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:26 am 
3. Flaming O

While I trust that Tara has something up her sleeve that will save the remaining fighters on the side of Good, I hate that so many people, especially Angel, had to die in the process. If she had been able to fight for Good throughout the whole battle, perhaps so many wouldn't have died. But Willow would have, so I understand her dilemma. All the same, that's a lot to put on Tara's conscience.

I respect your bold move of killing off main characters - the joy of fan fiction is that while they may be dead in this story, they can still be alive in someone else's.

I hope the next update is soon - leaving us with that cliffhanger was evil.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:10 am 
3. Flaming O

Holy mother of mercy!!!!

What the? Who? What the...huh?

Okay, now that that's out of my system, I hae to say that I have enjoyed your portrayal of Tara's struggle and Willow's enduring love inspite of the road Tara has chosen. So now all that's left to say is:

What's she gonna do????

Update soon please!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:13 pm 
8. Vixen

Woha! Yeah, please update very sooooooon!
Certainly didnt expect Angel to go poof. Poor Gunn, I always liked him, well, except when he sacrificed Fred I guess.
Since Tara has her normal eye and hair color does it mean the darkness is not responsible for her actions but she herself is? I had suspected that she wouldnt play for good or evil but for both. Or at least making it seem like that... We'll see :-D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:32 pm 
23. Volumey Text

I've been enjoying this story.

Given what happened to Anya I can understand Tara being angry. I think going to work for the senior partners wasn't really the right choice but I can see why she wouldn't want to work for "PTB" any more. Actually I think once this battle is over they need a sharp kick in the pants. Possibly more than one :devil

So what is Tara going to do?

More importantly even if she does save the day, will the others be able to forgive her, and accept her back into the group? Given the loses they've taken it's possible that they'll blame Tara for that, thinking that her help might have prevented some of those losses. I'm sure Willow won't but the others might.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:09 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Cliffhanger! What is Tara up to? I trust her, I trust her. Rinse, repeat.

Well, you really make us pay for it - some Slayers have been killed, Angel is dusted (Angel dust, haha, although I'm v. sad). Is it all an illusion that Tara's creating, or is this the price that we'll have to pay so the world doesn't end and the Partners can be defeated? Oh yeah, and poor Benedict Gunn got slaughtered, too.

I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:50 am 
5. Willowhand

Well, the end is here again...part 2 turned out a little shorter than part 1, but this is the logical place to stop, I think. I do have lots of ideas kicking around for a part 3, if anyone still wants to hang around...

spells42 - Always leave 'em wanting more, as a wise demon once said. :-D Mary's hearty endorsement of Tara's plan is definitely a good sign - and having faith in W/T to save the day is always a good idea!

As for your other question, this part of the tale won't deal with post-apocalypse times, but that'll definitely be part 3, if people can bear with me through another part...

mole - Is this soon enough? :-D Tara's definitely got a trick or two up her sleeve, and I think putting trust in the power of love is a good thing. Thanks for reading!

Grayson - That's the thing, isn't it? A lot of good people have been lost, and it would certainly seem that Tara's help could have saved more, but...well, I'll let her explain it. And the cliffhanger was sort of evil, I suppose... :blush

eklipse - I'm really glad you've enjoyed the story thus far, and I hope the end's as satisfying. As for what she's gonna do - well, read on!

WillowRulez - Angel's death was definitely a shocker - but what were the odds that the whole core group would come out of a battle that big unscathed? And Gunn - I liked him too, but he seemed the most likely candidate for a turn to the dark side, given his sacrifice of Fred. As for Tara's hair and eye color - well, I won't say too much, but good call!

justin - Yeah, I'm always a fan of giving the PTB's a kick in the pants. But despite Tara's anger, she's not necessarily...well, I won't spoil it here, but see below. :-D As far as the trust issues with the group, you kind of read my mind on that one. Glad you've enjoyed!

SallyMcFine - Always trust Tara - it's a good. Unfortunately this battle hasn't been an illusion - the apocalypse comes with a price - but there's a twist or two left. Angel Dust - I think I actually had some coke come out my nose when I read that, it was priceless! Poor Gunn - well okay, not really, he kind of deserved it...Thanks for reading!

Chapter 9 - ...Tell Our Moms We Done Our Best
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Faith set Buffy down gently, nocked another arrow in her crossbow and took aim at Tara, cold fury in her eyes. All of the slayers who carried ranged weapons did likewise, waiting for Faith’s signal to fire. Willow cried out from behind them, but they took no notice as Faith lowered her arm and the arrows flew. None of them came close to reaching their target, however, as they struck an invisible wall and fell from the sky. Faith broke ranks and stepped forward, a challenging look in her eyes.

“What, then, T?” she screamed. “Is this the part where you kill us all so Red can live?”

There was no reply for a long moment – and then a voice spoke in Willow’s head.

“Willow, do you hear me?”

“Yes. Tara-“

“No time, Will. Get everyone back – as far as you can. I’ve got a little something up my sleeve, but I don’t want anyone caught in it.”

“You – you’re still you?”

She could almost feel the smile as Tara replied. “Yes, Will, I’m still me. Now quick! Get them back!”

Willow pushed her way through the line to Faith’s side. “We need to fall back.”

“What are you, shittin’ me?”

“Tara’s got something big planned, and we need to be out of the way.”

“Something big – for us, or against us?”

“For us.”

“Well if she’s on our side, what the hell’s she been doing all this time? Angel is dead because of her!”

Willow’s face crumbled at the news, but she looked Faith in the eye as she replied. “I don’t know – if you want her to explain it to you, ask her when this is over. For now, get everyone back!”

Faith stood lost in indecision for a brief moment before she faced their ranks. “Fall back!” she called out. “Everybody fall back!” The call was repeated by the slayers, and they retreated about two hundred feet with the demons offering no pursuit.

Willow looked up at Tara and broadcast a simple message. “They’re clear! Show ‘em what you’re made of, sweetie!” Tara smiled and soared to the head of the demon army – and then she turned around to face them. With a deep breath, she raised her arms and began to chant – Willow could hear the words, as Tara’s voice was still amplified, but she couldn’t make any sense of the language. She jumped as someone tapped her shoulder.

“Giles? Buffy told me you were going to be here for the fight – where’ve you been?”

“Well…that’s what I thought too, but then I woke up ten minutes ago with this lump on the back of my head – I’m guessing Faith thought I wouldn’t be any help and decided to keep me out of the way, but we’ll have that discussion later…what’s Tara doing?”

“I don’t know, exactly. I’m not even sure what language that is.”

Giles cocked his head and listened for a moment. “It sounds…Wesley! Does that sound pre-druidic to you?”

“Yes! I’ve never heard it, but it borders on primordial!”

“I-“ Giles was interrupted by a flash that lit up the battlefield. Tara’s hands were outstretched and streams of energy poured from them; one white and one black. The streams converged behind the Partners’ army, where an obvious tear was forming – a hole in reality, much like the portal the army had emerged from. As it grew, a whining noise like a wind tunnel at full power split the air and the soldiers closest to it were sucked in and disappeared.

Willow and everyone behind her stood watching in awe as the portal – if that’s what it was – continued to grow, pulling in more and more demons. When the army was nearly gone, with perhaps twenty-five demons remaining, the portal began to shake and tremor. Willow looked up and saw that the streams of power from Tara’s hands were faltering. They sputtered and stopped, and the portal collapsed as Tara’s unconscious form plummeted like a stone from the sky.
[hr]
Faith rallied the slayers and charged the remaining demons, as Willow reached out with the last bit of magick she had in her reserves to catch Tara before she hit the ground. She ran from her position next to Giles and scooped her wife up in her arms. “Tara?” she cried. “Tara?”

Blue eyes fluttered slowly open. “Will?”

Squeezing her as tightly as she dared, Willow planted kisses all over her face. “Tare…are you okay?”

“Um…I think so. Did it work?”

“It worked. What was it?”

“I…I’ll tell you all about it later. I’m sorry I couldn’t do it earlier – I’m sorry so many good people died. I just couldn’t take them all – and if I’d used the spell early and there was too many of them left, it wouldn’t have helped, and then they would have come after you too…goddess, I’m so sorry.” Tears spilled down her face, and Willow’s heart hurt to watch her.

“It’s okay, baby – everyone will understand. You did everything you could.”

“Forgive me, Willow.”

“That’s kind of what I was saying…”

“Not for that, just…tell me you forgive me, okay?”

“Okay, I forgive you. But what...” she trailed off as Tara reached into a pouch at her side and withdrew a familiar-looking plant.

“I love you, Willow,” Tara whispered before she cradled the plant and murmured “forget.” The Lethe’s bramble didn’t flash, as it had when Willow had used it, but rather exploded with the power of the spell Tara cast. Flaming bits of it landed in a circular pattern around them. Willow waited for her memories to disappear, but quickly realized that it didn’t seem to be happening as Tara’s head lolled backwards and she slipped into unconsciousness.

“Tara? Tara? God, baby, what did you do?”

Faith approached, the slayers behind her, leaving the corpses of the demons behind them. One of the Immortal’s army took hold of Buffy, and the rest of the group gathered around the two women. “Red?” asked Faith. “What happened?”

“I don’t know!” she tearfully shouted. “She was okay, and then she did something, cast some kind of spell, and now she won’t wake up! I can’t wake her up!”

“It’ll probably take a few hours,” came a voice from outside the circle. The crowd parted to reveal the apparition of Tara’s mother. “And she’ll have to wake up on her own – you can’t force her.”

“But what did this?” Willow demanded. “What did she do?”

“More than you know,” Mary said sadly. “I talked to her last night, and she explained her plan – but I wasn’t sure she could really go through with it.” She paused for a long moment, and began to explain just as Willow prepared to shout at her. “You see, that wasn’t just a portal she opened – it didn’t just take the demons elsewhere, it took them out of all existence, destroyed their essences. It will take centuries to rebuild that army now – but it won’t matter when it has been. Tara used the energy she had control of – both of the essences you imbued her with – to close and seal every possible hellmouth and portal, even every place where one could be created, from every demon dimension into this one. This reality can never be invaded by forces outside it again. There are still demons in this world, of course, but they can never replenish their numbers. That’s the gift that Tara has given you all – not only did she avert the apocalypse, she has ensured that such a battle never need be fought again.”

“But what’s wrong with her?”

“I’m getting there, Willow, but there are things you need to understand – consequences of her actions that even she was unaware of. Chief among them is the change she’s made to the slayer line.”

Faith stared. “What change?”

“She invoked the essence of the Slayer to perform her spell – in effect, binding that essence to herself. What that’s done is to change the lineage – there will be no further potentials imbued with that power, with the exception of Tara’s bloodline.”

Willow looked down at her stomach. “You mean…”

“Yes. Your twins will be the first of the new slayer line. And their children will be the next, and so on. Your bloodline will be a sacred one. Now, as for Tara herself, she knew there was one more thing she had to do once the spell was done. The deal she made with the Partners was violated, of course, and they would be sending their assassins for you. Now, although the Partners have their own trouble at the moment, their assassins are relentless – but Tara knew much more about their assassins than they realized. The contract on your life is only valid if either party remembers the original deal – the Partners won’t be around to, and Tara had to rid herself of the knowledge to make you safe.”

“Lethe’s Bramble…”

“Yes. She didn’t know how deep she needed to go, though, and so the spell she cast was meant to erase every memory she had – but the Powers stepped in to help out a little, and managed to save most of her memories. So she didn’t wipe her mind clear; it was only memories tinged with darkness that were erased. So what that means is that she is still herself, but without any of the dark memories she carried with her. She doesn’t remember the pain of her childhood, your period of separation, or any of her recent struggle with darkness – she’ll remember the time you spent together this past week, but not the circumstances. And of course, she won't remember her deal with the Partners or any of this battle. She’s going seem almost like a different person when she wakes – still the Tara you love, but happier, more confident and without the weight of the world she’s carried since she was a little girl. She’ll laugh more easily, and smile more often. But she’ll have nightmares, frequently.”

“Nightmares? Why?”

“Spells cast on Lethe’s Bramble are unstable. Even small ones – if Tara hadn’t discovered you made her forget your fight a few years ago, she would have dreamed it eventually. The memories she erased will surface in her nightmares – and it’s going to be up to you how much to tell her should she ask. The Partners’ contract on you was broken forever the moment she forgot it, so you can safely tell her as much or as little as you choose. I leave that decision to you.”

Mary knelt down and stroked Tara’s hand. “And one last thing – she’ll never be able to do magick again. That spell she just cast didn’t only use up all the power she had in her, it burned it out - and she used the absolute last drop of power she had to cast the memory spell.” She looked up at Willow. “Can you love a Tara who can’t do magick?”

Willow gasped. “How can you even ask me that? The magick is us – what we are together. I don’t give a damn if she never does another spell!”

“Glad to hear it. I-“ she stopped mid-sentence to look up at the sky as it turned blood-red, peals of thunder echoing around them.

“What the hell is that?” Faith yelled over the din.

“That’d be our resident troublemaker. Anya! Quit fooling around and get down here!”

A pin dropping in the next time zone could have been heard as the thunder stopped and a girl of about 18 appeared next to Mary. She was beautiful, clothed in a simple white gown that contrasted sharply with the deep red of her hair. “Sorry, Grandma,” she apologized.

“I take it the Partners are no more?”

“Too easy. It’s like I was destined to destroy them or something – oh wait, I was!” She gave a half-smile that Willow would have known anywhere.

“Good. Well, now that you’re here, maybe you want to introduce yourself.”

The girl gave a mocking curtsy. “Anya Anne Rosenberg-Maclay, at your service.” She looked at Willow. “Hello, Mama.”

Willow’s shock turned into tears. “Anya?” She wouldn’t leave Tara’s side, and Anya sensed it and came to her instead, tightly embracing her.

“It’s so good to see you again, Mama.”

“But…how?”

“The night I appeared to you and Tara,” Mary said, “I was going to try and explain it to you, but she was already too lost in her grief to hear me. Anya had to be born human to fulfill the second part of the Shanshu prophecy – to be a child of magick, born to a witch. But to destroy the Partners she had to ascend. And she did – but her work is done now, her destiny fulfilled, and she can come home.”

“You…you’re coming home to me?” Willow managed.

“Yes, Mama. To you and Mom both.”

Willow brushed her fair cheek with one hand. “You’re so grown up…”

“Time passes differently where I was. But I saw you every day – how much you loved Mom, and how you saved her. I love you both – so much. Oh! And before I forget, Grandpa Rosenberg wanted me to pass along a message.”

Willow looked at her silently, not sure what to expect.

“He says he loves you, and that he misses you. He’s sorry you drifted apart, but he never stopped loving you. He…wait, what was it…he sees with greater clarity now, and he wishes he’d been more understanding of your love for Tara. He’s glad you’re happy, and he hopes you can forgive your mother.”

Willow was speechless, so she wrapped Anya in a tight hug and just held her.

“Now,” said Mary. “As for the rest of you…the Powers send along their congratulations and their thanks for your tremendous sacrifice today.”

“Sacrifice?” screamed Spike, his head snapping up. “You bitch! What the hell do you know about sacrifice? You and your Powers can stuff it – Angel gave his life to save this world, and you’re giving him a heartfelt thanks? Bitch.” Buffy, being supported beside him by one of the slayers, had regained enough consciousness for the words to sink in, and she looked around at the group. “Oh please god no,” she moaned. “It can’t be…”

“It’s okay, Buffy,” Mary soothed.

“How the hell is it okay?” Wesley said, carrying more power in his quiet voice than he would have if he’d yelled. “All Angel ever did was what the Powers wanted – and now he’s gone.”

“Actually, if you’d all quit talking at once, I did have a little more to say. The Powers did have more in mind than a heartfelt thanks for Angel – you do remember the Shanshu, right? The vampire with a soul, after playing a pivotal role in the apocalypse, will have his past wiped clean and live again as a human. Note that nowhere in the prophecy does it say he has to live through the final battle to get his reward.”

Spike regarded her suspiciously. “You mean…”

“I do.” She gestured, and from the pile of dust his body had become, Angel was born anew. Clothed in familiar black, he stared back at the group who was staring at him.

“Okay. What the hell’s going on? Last thing I remember I was saving Spike, and then…nothing.”

Spike couldn’t help the goofy grin that crossed his features. “Hear anything different, mate?”

“Hear anything? No, I…wait, what is that?”

“Thumping noise?”

“Yeah.”

“Welcome back to the human race, mate. You got your Shanshu.”

“I…I’m human?”

“Flesh and blood.”

Beyond words, he rushed to embrace Spike. He shook Wes’ hand, hugged Ilyria – who stared blankly at him – and made the rounds through the group before stopping in front of Buffy. He swept her up in his arms and kissed her long and deep, as Faith turned a nasty shade of purple. Setting her down, he looked in her eyes. “Sorry. I’ve wanted to do that for…well, a while. I’m done now.” He patted Faith’s head, pretending to be condescending but smiling too widely to pull it off. “Down, Faithy. Don’t want you kicking my ass - I think it’d hurt a lot more now than it used to.”

“If I could finish…” Mary interrupted gently. They turned to her. “Just one more thing, and then I’ve got to be on my way. Buffy?”

Buffy cocked her head inquisitively.

“The Powers – they wanted to thank you above all. The longest-lived slayer ever, and still willing to lay down her life to save the world again. The Powers would like to know – what do you wish? Just one, mind you, and there’s a few conditions, but they’ve granted you a single wish.”

“I…” Buffy swallowed. “I don’t suppose I can wish this last week never happened?”

“Sorry – that’d be one of the conditions.”

“Oh, boy. Uh…Will! What would you wish for?”

“What would I wish for? I’d wish I could go home. As silly as it sounds, I kind of miss Sunnydale. Europe’s been nice, but it’s not home. Of course I don’t miss the hellmouth and the monsters, but the rest of it…”

Buffy thought for a moment and smiled. “You know what?” she said to Mary, taking Faith’s hand. “I’ve got everything I want right here. Give Willow what she wants. Raise Sunnydale. Without the hellmouth and such.”

“Well, that’s the last thing I expected…but if that’s your wish.”

“It is.”

Halfway around the world, the crater that had been Sunnydale was replaced with the city, exactly as it was the day it collapsed but completely empty of people, throwing a little bit of a shock into the neighboring communities.

“Thank you all once again. Anya, you take care of your moms, okay?”

“Okay, Grandma. I’ll see you again.”

“Yes, you will. Willow?”

“Yes?”

“Did you want to go home now?”

Willow looked around at the faces of the slayers, especially Faith. “Yes.” She looked around to make it clear that she was addressing the group. “I love you all, but I don’t think any of you will ever be able to look at Tara the same again – and I don’t want the first dark memory she has to be your blaming her for all of this. She did everything she could – I know you don’t believe me, especially you Faith, but she did. She was never working for the Partners in this battle, not really. But the look in your eyes tells me you’ll never forgive her. So yes, I’d like to go home now. With my wife and daughter and my twins. But I’d like to say goodbye first.”

She hugged each of Angel’s group in turn, thanking them for their help in the struggle and finishing with Angel himself, who she squeezed tightly and wished him the best in his new life. He surprised her, though, by making a request.

“Can I come with you? Not to live with you, I mean, but to Sunnydale. It’s been a long time – I think it’d be fun. If you don’t mind sharing the place?”

“A whole town between the bunch of us? I think we’ll manage. Of course, you’re welcome to come along.” Angel pulled her close and whispered in her ear. “Thank you, Willow. And you know I’ll never blame Tara – I know a little about darkness, and she fought hers better than I ever fought mine; of course, I didn’t have love like you two have.”

She smiled her thanks before Spike spoke up. “Better add one more. This human life is going to be bloody boring if I don’t have you around to annoy, you ponce. Again, if you don’t mind the company, Red.”

“Of course not.” Willow gave Faith a perfunctory hug without much feeling and turned to Giles. “Wanna come too? We may need a new school librarian.”

He surprised her by laughing out loud. “No, thank you. I had more than enough of high school children back then – I’ve no urge to revisit that time of my life. But have a great time – and take care of yourself. I’ll visit soon.”

“I’d like that. Tara would too.”

She turned to Buffy, who had tears in her eyes. “Will…I don’t blame Tara. I hope you know that.”

Willow embraced her. “I know,” she whispered. “But I can’t have Tara around Faith – if she said anything to her, I’d have to be cranky – and I would never ask you to be apart from her. And I really do want to go home.”

“Oh, Will…I’m going to miss you so much. I’ll call as often as I can, okay?”

“I’ll miss you too, Buff. I love you, you know.”

“I love you too, Willow. And Tara – please tell her when she wakes up how much I love her.”

“Can…I feel bad for asking, but can we live in your old house? It’s just…lots of good memories, you know?”

Buffy smiled through her tears. “Sure. I know Mom would be happy to know you were there, like old times. And Dawnie, too.”

“Dawnie…I nearly forgot. You’ll say hi to her for me when she comes home?”

“I’ll do better – once you’ve got a phone, call me and I’ll give her your number.”

“Okay. Well, I guess we’d better go.” She released Buffy and turned to find Anya holding Tara.

“Ready to go home, Mama?”

“I’m ready.”

Mary smiled and disappeared, taking Willow, Tara, Anya, Spike and Angel along with her into their new life.
[hr]
Thus endeth the apocalypse. So...anyone interested in a part 3? Thanks so much to all the wonderful Kittens who've read and left feedback - it's always appreciated. Thanks for sticking around, and thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Part 2 Complete 2/4)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:32 am 
17. Mega-Witches

Yes, Part 3! I think that Part 3 is almsot compulsory, since there needs to be a bit of reconciliation between Tara and Faith and Willow. And between Faith, Buffy, and Angel.

This was a very apocalyptic end but of course without the apocalyse. Or the world-ending part of it, anway. Literally, I mean. I guess the world that they knew has been irrevocably changed.

I really want to see more, either an epilogue or Part 3, to see how Willow and Tara interact when Tara wakes up, and how they deal with integrating Anya back into their lives now that she's old enough to be their little sister. Will Dawn come visit and fall in love with Anya? Heh.

Seriously, GREAT JOB and I enjoyed this ride very much, and will look forward eagerly to whatever you have in store next.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Tarafied4Life wrote:
Is this soon enough?

Yep, that was soon enough. I knew trusting in the power of love was a good thing.

Quote:
Thus endeth the apocalypse. So...anyone interested in a part 3?

Are you kidding? Of course I'm intereted in a part 3.

Sunnydale risen from the abyss, Angel and Spike human, Anya back and all grown-up; I see great story potential there alone. But, add to it the fact that Willow and Tara are now the creators of the new Slayer line, Hellmouths are closed but evil still exists, and Tara's memory of darkness has been relegated to the stuff of nightmares (truly terrifiying nightmares to be sure, but she'll have Willow to help) and you've got the makings for one hell of a story.

So, in case I was at all vague... Yes! Please write a part 3!

Huh...Buffy was able to let go of her often-times selfish nature and bestow her wish on Willow. Nicely done; a fine example of the power of friendship. Interesting too, will be how Willow is able to keep Buffy in her life given that Faith will never forgive Tara for what has happened. I don't think Willow was wrong in this estimation. Faith may try to be civil, but I don't think she'll ever let it go.

Fantastic stuff.

Looking forward to more.
Michelle

Last edited by mole on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:46 am 
23. Volumey Text

Well I didn't see that coming.

I think Faith spent a bit too long arguing with Willow about pulling back. Since whether Tara was planning to help them or hurt them, it should have been clear that being further away from her would have been of the good.

So Tara erased all the demons from existance? That seems a bit harsh. I mean I know they were demons, but still...

So the outcome of the battle is

The SP are no more
Angel's human
All hellmouths have been closed
Sunnydale's been pulled back out of the ground
Anya's now 18
Willow's children will be slayers

To answer your question, I'm interested in part 3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:10 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Well I have to say I love the story. It ended a little depressing with everyone not being able to go home. I do hope there's a sequal so maybe the group can get back together. But awesome work. I hope you write more. It seems like sequal time, lol. To show my appreciation for this I will give you your own dance party.

:dance :dance :dance :dance :dance

Sorry I just love those little guys. Keep it up!

"Love is the most dangerous craving of all, if you ask me. It turns us into people we aren't. It makes us feel like hell, and makes us walk on water. It ruins us for anything else." -Eric in Jodi Picoults book 'Vanishing Acts'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:56 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

ok so the first time i read this i wasnt registered here so i didnt think i could leave feedback, but now i can and i have to say it was good then and with all the updates its even better now, i really like how its going, keep it up with part 3.

:clap :applause :bounce

writerfreak :flower

Soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:36 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Yes, Yes, Yes, I would like to a part 3 also, great writing. Is there going to be any :wtkiss in the next chapter and how tara reacts to her memory loss? Keep writing Please. lottagay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:38 am 
2. Floating Rose

Location: Frozen in front of this damn machine, reading fanfic :o)
YESYESYESYESYES!!! In every known language, YES! I've been away from the KB for @ 6 weeks - damn that awful job with all its' responsibilities- and this was at the top of the update list when i finally returned...HOLY SHIT! I'll check back every day...twice a day, even, if it will persuade you to continue.

Um, in case I haven't made myself clear - YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

"Green Eyed Monster" by Binky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:13 am 
3. Flaming O

:happycry

weeeheeeeeeeee :bounce

wonderful :bow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:57 pm 
8. Vixen

What an awesome update! I always thought they kinda cheated us with Angel ending the way it did. The whole show was about the prophecy and then it never happened. But you made that little dream come true for me ;)
Poor Tara. I wonder how she is gonna feel and what Willow will tell her. Tanks for letting Anya come back. It's a little weird but hey, it's a Buffy fanfic :-D
Cant wait for the next part!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:14 am 
2. Floating Rose

A definate YES to Part 3. I loved all the surprises in the last update. The lethes bramble twist was great!! I loved how to break the contract both parties had to forget, very clever.

Also, Angel becoming human. Wicked!!! The episode of Angel when he finally became human and then had to give it up, was heartbreaking, so I'm glad that at least here he has a happy ending.

And yay, coz we got to see Anya all grown up!!

Definately hoping and waiting for part 3. This is awesome stuff!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next