The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 4/15)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:30 pm 
3. Flaming O

OMG!!!!! Amazing update i love this story. i hope RL is treating you well. Can't wait to read more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:17 pm 
5. Willowhand

Tara's father is a complete and utter bastard. Men like that never change, once they get a taste for it, it is like a drug to them. I often think that they should be locked up in a room full of abused women - I don't think they'd last long!

I don't think that things are going to be right between Willow & Tara for a long time. Once Tara is better she's gonna have her work cut out for her. Also, how is all this stress gonna affect Willow's pregnancy?

Where did Faith come from?

Grave times ahead - I think.

Caz

"I'm a bloodsucking fiend! Look at my outfit!" Willow - Doppelgangland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:24 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Argh! You leave us there? With Faith just strolling in? How'd she find out what happened and where the Scoobies were? Evil cliffhanger...grr..

I must say I was shocked that Tara left Willow to work things out but even more shocked that she would let her father beat on her. Guilt is indeed a powerful emotion. I agree that there will be a long road back to W&T happiness considering all that's happened. Between Willow keeping the truth from Tara to Tara sinking into self-loathing, our girls have a long row to hoe.

Also interested to see how the triangle of Faith, Buffy, and Angel plays out. I believe there will be one mightily pissed off Slayer when she gets a gander at how close B and Angel have grown. Of course, I could say it's her own damn fault for shutting B out but....

Michelle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:19 am 
23. Volumey Text

I've recently caught up with reading this story and I'm really enjoying it.

I liked Ethan trying to get Spike with the holy water :lol you'd think his employers would have warned him about that.

I have to say I think Angel's being a bit of an arse. The fact that Buffy's going through a rough patch with Faith isn't a cue for him to start trying to horn in and pestering her :shy

I was surprised at Tara letting her father abuse her like that. She seems to be taking the sackcloth and ashes thing a bit far. Though this is a step up from trying to kill herself.

I'm a little surprised that Tara's ruse with the planes worked. Airlines generally take a dim view of people checking in for flights and then not boarding the plane, due to the possibility that it's in order to smuggle a bomb onto the plane. That's assuming she went as far as getting boarding passes for all four flights, though if she hadn't it would have been easier to find out which plane she was on.

Well the ending was a surprise. At first I didn't realise who it was. So how did Faith find out what was going on? And does her arrivial signal a change of heart? I'm looking forward to finding out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:00 pm 
5. Willowhand

Just popping in to reply to feedback - next chapter's a ways off yet.

Missocki - I'm glad you were excited to see an update. I was excited to be leaving one! You've definitely hit the nail on the head - I think Tara definitely knew what she was in for when she went home, even though she perhaps didn't admit it to herself. And Angel probably would have been a good person to talk to, but as he was one of the group who broke the news to her, I'm not sure how far Tara would trust him. And I wish I could see the beating scene too - visualizing it is fun enough!

WillowRulez - I think some home correction's definitely in order from our ex-vampires, and rest assured it'll happen!

willowbaby05 - I'm so glad you're enjoying! And fear not, I think Spike and Angel will handle Mr. Maclay. As far as an update, I'm not sure when it'll be, but hopefully not too long!

Hers Always - RL's been...interesting. How about you? I'm glad you're liking the tale, and there's definitely more on the way.

Caz - No, guys like that don't change. No program or counselling in the world's going to make them any different. I do like your solution, though!

Definitely grave times ahead - Tara, as you say, will have her work cut out for her, but Willow's got her own guilt to deal with as well. It's not going to be a lot of fun. And Faith's appearance is definitely surprising - but that's all I'll say about that, so as not to spoil the surprise. ;-)

mole - Sorry for the evil cliffhanger - I'm not really a bad person, I promise! :blush

Lots of questions about Faith - lots. Her sudden appearance is going to bring a lot of issues to the forefront, for everyone.

There's definitely going to be long road ahead for our girls. There's a lot of secrets, lies, and questionable decisions to be dealt with on both sides.

The B/F/A triangle is one of many things Faith's appearance will spark - stay tuned! Thanks for reading!

justin - Good to hear you're enjoying!

As far as Ethan, it is odd no-one would have mentioned Spike wasn't a vampire. Either his employers aren't that knowledgeable, or they don't value his services all that much. And I agree that Angel's being an arse - but Buffy's beginning to question herself a little now, and that doesn't spell happy times for her and Faith.

Tara's actions were a little extreme, but so's the guilt she's feeling. She's had every bad memory and the consequences of her actions all dumped on her at once, and I think she just snapped under the weight of it all. As far as the airline issue, I suppose that's true. I don't know much about airline security, so I just sort of stretched that one.

As for the questions about Faith...the answers are coming.

Thanks to all for reading!

Heather

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:01 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

HOLY CRAP!!!!! Faith's back! Man's it's been a long time since i've been here and i come back to find this jewel of story. can't wait to see not only what angel and spike do to tara's dad, but what faith has to say not only to buffy but to tara as well. and to see how this anya and spike thing plays out esp when willow finds out.

cassie

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:12 am 
5. Willowhand

Hey, all! It's been way too long, but now that some RL craziness has been sorted out, it's time for an update! (a foreign update, given that it was scrawled in Mexico)

First:

cdetil - Really glad to hear that you found and enjoyed the tale thus far - some answers are on their way in this update, others'll have to wait...

Chapter 7 - There's only us
Rating: R for language, I suppose.
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

“Faith?”

“The one and only.” Faith stood for a long moment, waiting expectantly, and then frowned and crossed her arms. “Fine. Don’t come and kiss me hello.”

Buffy rose with a sheepish expression and gave her a hug and a quick kiss. “Sorry, I…how did you know I was here?”

“Slayer intuition. That, and when I called before I left Rome, Dawn said you were going to Portland.”

“Dawn never mentioned…”

“I told her not to – I wanted to surprise you.”

“How did you find me? Portland’s kind of a big place.”

“Well, I called Dawn again about twenty minutes ago, and she said you were here. Also, that she and Anya are bored and you should have brought them along.”

“I wouldn’t…I’m glad she didn’t see this.”

“How is she?”

“She’s…not in good shape. Physically or mentally. Ever since she got back her memories of Rome, she’s been increasingly self-destructive. I’m really…” Buffy’s voice quivered, just slightly. “I’m really not sure what it’s going to take to get through to her.” Her lower lip began to tremble.

“B?” Faith wrapped Buffy in her arms, where she began to cry softly. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s our fault. If we could have helped her in Rome, or kept her safe from her memories – we should have broken it to her better.”

“Maybe. But B, she’s her own person. Everybody deals with guilt differently. Trust me.”

Buffy stepped back and wiped her eyes as Faith took a closer look at Tara’s unconscious form. “Who beat her till she turned colors?”

“Her father.” Faith spun and made as if to storm out until Buffy grabbed her at the elbow.

“Angel and Spike are taking care of it.”

“They’ll make sure the son of a bitch pays?” Buffy nodded and Faith relaxed.

“So when does somebody come and relieve you? I want to take you out for a beer or seven.”

“So, what…a month goes by and I don’t even hear from you, and now suddenly all’s forgiven?”

Faith studied her shoes intently. “I was bein’ stupid, ‘kay? Let’s not make a federal case out of it.”

Buffy hugged her, grateful she couldn’t see the uncertain, uncomfortable expression on her face.
[hr]
“I’m bored.”

“I know, Anya, but we’re supposed to stay here in case they call.”

“Forget that – let’s go check out the Magic Box.”

“They already checked it.”

“Yeah, but what if one of those faxes came in since then?”

“Then they’ll get it when they come back.”

“Oh, lighten up! Have a little fun, Dawn!”

Dawn glanced guiltily at the phone for just a moment before she agreed.
[hr]
Spike sat companionably on the porch between Willow and Angel, wiping blood from his knuckles. “So, what happens to this wanker now?”

“Well,” Angel replied, “an old friend from my Wolfram and Hart days is going to make sure he goes to jail for some time.”

“We’ve got no proof.”

“Oh, not for beating on Tara – for tax evasion and assaulting a police officer.”

“Huh?”

“They’ll come up with something, don’t worry. And he’ll make sure he’s got a female guard assigned to him who’s a little less than gentle.”

Spike grinned savagely. “Damn right.”

“I wish you’d have let me watch,” Willow whispered.

“No, you don’t,” Angel insisted. “I don’t like hurting people, even worthless wastes like him – but you wouldn’t have wanted to be there when we let loose on him.”

“So, what’s next on the agenda?”

“I don’t know, Spike. I guess I go back to the hospital to be with Tara.”

“You don’t sound jump up and down happy about that.”

“I don’t know, Spike…I don’t know what to say to her right now.”

“How ‘bout ‘I love you’? Or has that changed now too?”

“Of course not!” Willow snapped. “It’s…there’s a gulf between us now, and I don’t know how to fix it. I can’t apologize enough for what I kept from her, but I can’t just pretend like she didn’t run out on me.”

“Well, as much as it pains me to say it, I’ve got an idea…”
[hr]
“So where do you think the fax machine is in this place?” Anya whispered.

“Maybe there’s an office in the back, behind that curtain?”

Slowly and quietly the two girls made their way through the mess that had been made of the shop when Buffy had ransacked it. Dawn pulled the curtain – and she and Anya screamed when the demon seated in a plush chair jumped up and spun around to face them. Dawn nearly took off running before she realized the demon was screaming as well.

“Clem?”

“Dawn! You two scared the heck out of me! What are you doing here?”

“Buffy sent us.”

Clem looked doubtfully at her. “Um…I don’t want to argue, but Buffy told me to guard the place. She didn’t say anything about you two coming by.”

“Yeah, but-“

“Sorry, Dawn. Unless I hear otherwise from Buffy…”

“What’s that?” Anya cried from beside them. They followed her gaze to the fax machine, where a single page had printed silently and fallen to the floor. Before Clem could react, she ran past him and read its contents – two sentences that made her blood run cold.

Will arrive in Sunnydale soon. Be sure all is ready.
[hr]
Tara woke to the bright, industrial lights of the hospital room. She sighed and rolled over – and jumped when she realized she wasn’t alone.

“Angel?”

“Hello, Tara.”

“What…” She exhaled. “Not to sound ungrateful, but w-why are you here? Is the big bad on its way?”

Willow asked me to spend some time with you, away from everyone.”

“Willow? Why?”

“Because you need to talk to me.”

Tara’s face tensed, and she curled her arms around herself protectively. “And why do I need to do that?”

“Well, mainly because I’m the only one who understands how you’re feeling. You’re mad at me for being on the truth and not sharing, but I’m the only one you can talk to. It’s unfortunate that you talked to Spike that morning – really unfortunate.”

“Why? He’s done things just as evil as us, and had to deal with getting his soul back and reliving all that he’d done. What makes you better?”

“Not better. Just different. Spike doesn’t understand how people like you and I think, Tara. He doesn’t internalize pain, and he doesn’t punish himself – how else do you think he became functional again so quickly when he got his soul? I spent better than a hundred years punishing myself, and I get what you’ve done here. No-one else would.”

She almost broke then – he could sense it – but she sat up in the bed instead and her posture became even more defensive. “Oh, right. You understand my pain. You didn’t have a S-SOUL! You were a demon! I’m just me…” tears filled her eyes. “Just me…I’ve got no excuse, no mitigating circumstances, nothing! I committed evil – true evil. And I deserve anything that happens to me – I don’t know what the threefold return of that many deaths is, but that’s what’s coming to me. What do you care anyway? The only reason you’re here is to try and get back in Buffy’s pants.”

Angel’s face went stony. “I know you’re hurting, and so I’m going to pretend you didn’t say that.”

“Tell me I’m wrong.”

“I’m not talking about this.”

“That’s what I thought,” Tara smirked.

“You can play the smart-ass if you like, Tara, but I know it’s not you. You’re hurt. You’re scared of yourself. But you’re not fooling me with this act. I know you better than that.”

“You don’t know me at all! I don’t even know me! I’m carrying all these memories of a life that never happened, and all I can wonder is if everyone would have been better off if I’d just stayed in Cleveland. And yes, I know my Cleveland doesn’t exist anymore, but you know w-what I mean.”

“You’re wrong. Dead wrong. I know you. What you’ve done, who you are. And that last bit was such a dumb question I’m not going to grace it with any response except to say that if you ever doubt how you’ve changed Willow’s life then all you have to do is look at her.”

“But we’re off-topic. Do you know who the flagellants were, Tara?”

“Of course I do.”

“There were monks, in our village in Ireland when I was a boy, who lived the life of flagellants. Beating themselves endlessly to scourge the sin out of them and find favor with God.” Angel’s Irish brogue crept slightly into his voice as he quoted the monks. “But you know what they got for it in the end?”

“A ticket to heaven?”

“That I don’t know. I may have died, but I never did see what comes next. What I do know is what they got themselves on earth – misery. These were good men, I’m sure, who did nothing but hurt themselves for every sin, slight or serious, real or imagined. There was no joy in their lives, and no joy in them. They scared me when I was young, but as I got older I felt sorry for them instead. Nothing they could have earned in their afterlife was worth the life they lived.”

“And what – you think I’m a flagellant?”

“Look in the mirror – I know you are. But you’re going to have to make a choice. You can live like those monks – joyless and without purpose – or you can live your life. You’ve got a beautiful wife who loves you, a child and two more on the way. So much to live for, and so much to be happy about. If you want to believe that there’s some kind of divine retribution coming to you for your actions, then that’s your choice – but if the retribution truly is coming to you anyway, then why punish yourself?”

He sighed. “I read your note to Dawn, and I understand that you’re seeking atonement – I’ve been there. But this isn’t the path. All those years I spent in alleys, they didn’t grant me atonement or absolution. It wasn’t until I met Buffy that I began to understand what it would take. The path to atonement isn’t pain – it’s love. If you want to atone, Tara, then live. Give love to those around you, and be a good person. That’s all that matters in the end, and the only way to balance the scales.”

Tara’s defenses began to slip. “But…how can I make things right with Willow? She’s never going to forgive me.”

“She will – but not right away. You’re going to have to work to earn her trust again, and it won’t be easy. But wouldn’t you rather be with her than without her?”

She finally broke, and the tears spilled down her gaunt face. “Yes…yes…”

Angel held her gently, silently, for a long time.
[hr]
Once her tears were spent, Tara fell into a fitful rest. Angel sat at her bedside, reading some old magazine, until Willow arrived.

“How is she?”

“She’s okay. I think I got through to her, but she’s going to need help. I know things are going to be a little tense between you two, but I think it would be best if you stayed with her.”

“Of course – I’m not going anywhere.” She looked around. “Did Buffy go?”

“Yeah. She was acting really restless when I got here, said she had somewhere she needed to be.”

“’Cause there’s so many important appointments she had in Portland?”

“I know – I don’t get it either.”

Willow stared for a long moment until Angel shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

“What?”

“Angel, I know what you want. And I know you and she have been working all snuggly lately, but what you’re doing to her – making her feel - isn’t right. She’s with Faith now.”

“But they’re not-“

“Getting along? Maybe not, but that doesn’t give you the right. Any more than it would give you the right to move in on Tara right now, if that was an option.”

“It’s not like that.”

“I don’t want to argue with you, Angel, because without all your help I might never have found Tara, but it is. You’re using Buffy’s troubles to undermine what she has with Faith, and it’s not fair to her. If she should break up with Faith one day of her own free will and choose to pursue a relationship with you, then fine. But it’s not your place to push.”

Rather than reply, Angel stood up and headed for the door. “Take care of her,” he said over his shoulder as he walked out.
[hr]
Faith raised a glass of dark lager in Buffy’s direction. “To better days, B.”

“I’ll drink to that.”

They sat in an odd silence for a moment – not quite companionable, but not exactly uncomfortable.

Faith broke the ice. “B, I’m goin’ to say something it’s not easy for me to say, so just let me get it out. I’m…sorry. I blamed T for somethin’ that wasn’t her fault, and I took it out on you too. But I’m back now, and I want to make it okay. I miss you – I miss us. We’re great together, and I just hope I haven’t fucked things up for good.”

Stunned by the rare moment of emotional honesty, Buffy’s eyes filled with tears. “Oh, Faith…”

“I have, haven’t I? It’s too late. Shit.”

Buffy reached across and clasped her hands. “No. It’s not too late, Faith. I love you, and I’ve missed you too.”

“Really?”

“Really. What made you change your mind?”

“A lot of time alone. A lot of time to think.”

Buffy smiled. And then the moment was lost when her phone began to ring shrilly. Faith looked disappointed as she pulled it from her pocket.

“Hello?”

“Uh, Buffy, it’s Clem. I thought you should know that a fax came in.”

“What does it say?”

“That whoever’s behind this is coming to Sunnydale.”

“When?”

“It just says soon.”

“Shit…okay, can I ask a huge favor, Clem?”

“Sure!”

“Can you go to the house and stay with Dawn and Anya ‘till we get home?”

“Um…okay. I’ll go right now.”

“Thanks. And tell Dawn that not telling me Faith called was the best she’s done keeping a secret in a long time.”

“Will do.”
[hr]
Clem hung up and relayed Buffy’s message to her sister. Dawn stared blankly at him.

“I never talked to Faith.”
[hr]

Thus endeth the update! More soon, I hope.

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 5/15)
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:06 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Dibs

That was a great update.

Tara does seem rather bent on punishing herself. The comparison to Flagelation was rather apt. Hopefully This'll start towards getting her out of this phase.

I'm glad someone told Angel that just because Buffy and Faith are having problems doesn't give him the right to move in on Buffy. I mean if things did work out the way he wanted and he ended up with Buffy would he like living with the idea that the first time they had a disagreement one of Buffy's former partners (maybe Faith, maybe someone else) might use it as a chance to steal her away from him?

The ending was certainly a surprise. There seem to be two possibilities. Faith may have been lying but that doesn't seem likely since I can't see why. The lie didn't gain her anything and it's one that would be easily found out.

the other possibility is that Faith talked to someone else. So who is it and what are their intentions. Helping Faith find Buffy seems rather helpful so maybe they're good? Unless the plan was to get Faith out of the way for some reason.

Looking forward to more

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:39 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky ok pulling my hair out CLIFF HANGER but we are at a good place can,t wait till thay talk this will be fixed soon I hope :kdevil

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:27 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Oooo... Dawn never spoke to Faith? Maybe this isn't really Faith, then!? She is being a bit uncharacteristically conciliatory.

No big surprise that Tara would suffer huge guilt on recovering her memories, and would think she needed to atone by punishing herself. But good advice from Angel that should reach Tara as a truth.

Can't wait for more. Thanks.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:30 am 
4. Extra Flamey

I see that the evil cliff-hanger monster still has you in it's grasp. Argh.

Nice job of starting to pull all the loose threads together. There is a long row to hoe for all of them, that's for sure.

While I'm not thrilled with Angel's trying to get back into Buffy's life now that the road with Faith is rocky, he does make a wonderful point:
Quote:
The path to atonement isn’t pain – it’s love. If you want to atone, Tara, then live. Give love to those around you, and be a good person. That’s all that matters in the end, and the only way to balance the scales

Wallowing in guilt and self-pity doesn't make anything better. Time for Tara to show her inner strength and get on with life.

Who spoke to Faith? Why is Anya always up to mischief? Will Buffy tell Faith about Angel? What's Willow going to say to Tara when she wakes up? Who is the latest big bad on the way to Sunnydale?

So much story left to tell. Looking forward to more.
Michelle

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:30 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Quote:

ooooh.....can't wait to see what happens! great job!

"When you get excited about something, one might imagine you as a small, maniacally grinning rubber ball, which someone throws at the wall in an enclosed room, and goes bouncing off every surface for about 15 minutes."
- Mudrat

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:21 pm 
8. Vixen

Yaaaaay! An update! You made my day.
I really liked that Willow put Angel in his place. He is way out of line.
Also, Dawn didnt tell Faith? So this isnt Faith? It's some big nasty? Or did maybe Willow tell Faith...? Well, cant wait for more! :x

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:00 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Quote:
Clem hung up and relayed Buffy’s message to her sister. Dawn stared blankly at him.

:shock Oh Shit.
Is Faith the big bad? Or is it just a smokescreen to throw us off of the real big bad? (:pray Please let it be the second one.)
Oh god, does this mean Buffy is about to get her heart crushed? *bits nails*
Although it was cool for Willow and Tara both to smack Angel in the face with reality. Same goes for Angel to Tara. I loved both talks.
But besides that fact, I love the update and hopefully my questions will be answered in the next update. (Big Hopefully!) :kitty
(Oh Spike and Angel kicked Tara's dad's ass. Woohoo!! :sigh )

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:21 pm 
5. Willowhand

Feedbacky:

justin - I think, now that she's had it made plain to her, that Tara will be able to move out of this period of self-punishment, Unless other bad things happen that she interprets as her fault (ominous music). Very good point about Angel's actions re Buffy. There'd be no security in a relationship like that. As for Faith...well, I'll say nothing on that one. It's safer.

DiannesWillowTree - Sorry to leave you pulling your hair out. There will be a Willow/Tara conversation at last in the next chapter. Stay tuned!

spells42 - Faith, Faith...won't spoil it. Angel's was definitely good advice, the question is whether she'll take it. Thanks for reading!

mole - Yeah, I do seem to have a thing for the cliffhangers. I don't do it intentionally, it just seems to happen. Sorry. :) Angel did make a very good point, didn't he?

As for all of your other questions...yes. Just kidding - hang in there, and I'll try not to leave you with another cliffhanger next time. I'll try, anyway.

Thianne - Thank you! Stay tuned for more.

WillowRulez - I'm always glad when I can make someone's day. Willow did give Angel a very good talking to, but how he'll react is another question. Faith is a bit of a mystery...

willowbaby05 - Glad you liked the talks. Lots of answers in the next chapter, but not all of them. And I second your woohoo on Tara's dad getting whooped. Thanks for reading!

As for the next update, probably be a few weeks. RL's kinda nuts. But as soon as I can, I promise!

Heather

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:10 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Hey Heather--Sorry to have missed so much for so long, but at a purely selfish level it did give me a ripping good read when I could finally sit down and catch up w/ everything.

So much is happening (Mary said, impressing Heather with her keen and discerning powers of observation). I won't focus on the events so much as the themes that seem to bind them together--at least as I see them.

A big one has to do w/ the tenuousness of emotional connections in lives fraught with such danger and unpredictability. Of course it's good to trust the ones we love; to believe in their good judgement. But everyone is fallible; we all make mistakes. And these folks have more than their own issues and limitations to deal with: various forces are actively trying to distort their perceptions; play on their fears. So when do you trust that someone knows what they're doing, and when do you intervene? That's a hard enough call for us regular folks; imagine being a Scooby.

That leads into another theme I see: reaching out to (and accepting help from) other people you love when everything is in chaos. Willow, e.g., grieves at one point for the loss of Anya and for Tara's jumping of the USS Good Fight. (Um, sorry for that Americentric reference.) Buffy, though, just came out of a 15-month faux coma, so she's got her own stuff to deal w/, not to mention an impending epic battle. (Plus, hell--if Faith were nuzzling on me, I wouldn't be much good for anyone.)

The idea of the greater good is fascinating, too. I found myself nodding during Tara's diatribe about switching alliances. Frankly, I find it miraculous that all of them haven't given the mother of all flip-offs to the Powers at various points. Where has it gotten them, indeed? Yes, they've survived, but how long can they continue doing this? And what's the toll of never knowing what's real, what's enduring, and what will be taken away because it's needed for some "higher" purpose? (As I write this, I realize what a truly abysmal hero I would be. I'm way too aware of my own needs, and my own control issues!)

Finally, it seems as though another theme is that of universal moral complexity: everyone has both good and evil within them. Hopefully, the latter is confined primarily to weakness, but in Xander's case he certainly pushed that distinction. And yet his actions in his other self were very different, and it's not that the two were diametric opposites.

So...I'm really enjoying this story, Heather, and I look forward to the next update, whenever it might come.

Thanks,
Mary

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:03 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Hey Heather - many apologies for much-delayed feedback. I am enjoying the plot twists and turns. You write Faith's dialogue so well - it's totally stuff she would say. I liked the "let's not make a federal case out of it," etc. line especially.

Tara's actions both bewilder me and are sort of understandable. I guess the thing with being True Evil and trying to end the world is that it's not easy to just shrug it all off. But I, like Willow, am annoyed that she left her pregnant wife to go gallivant all over the country (that is, to let her jerk father beat her up). Angel is right - she will have to earn back Willow's trust.

Anya seems like quite the mischevious troublemaker. For someone raised in the afterlife with her ghostly grandmother, she has quite the misbehaving streak in her.

Finally, PLOT TWIST at the end! Is it really Faith, or a glamor? A big bad? Has Faith been co-opted, or cloned a la Alias? What will happen? DAH DAH DUM!!! Can't wait for what's next.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:44 pm 
5. Willowhand

Oh no! The cliffhangers! The angst! I must have more! ;-)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:41 pm 
5. Willowhand

A short update, I'm afraid - RL's been sort of fun lately.

Feedbacky:

AntigoneUnbound - It's good to see you again! And I'm glad the tale was a good read for you when you got back. Thank you, for your very deep analysis of my tale - I'm glad it stood up.

I heartily agree that the meat of the story is emotional connections - how to sustain them under tremendous pressure. As you say, being a scooby makes this infinitely more difficult. Which leads to another theme you mentioned, help - how to give and accept it, knowing when it's needed. It's such a complex problem, with no easy answers - which is why our heroes are where they are now.

And the question of the greater good is one of my personal favorites. I don't think you'd be a bad hero - just one who questioned, as I think all heroes do. why am I doing this? why am I putting my life on the line for a nebulous cause that's screwed me over more than it's ever helped me? And what's so bad about evil? All questions that heroes have to ask.

And moral complexity - I always liked that one. We've all got the capacity for good and evil, and only under certain extremes will our real character be revealed.

I'm glad you're enjoying the tale!

SallyMcFine - No apologies necessary, I'm just glad you're enjoying. And thank you for the compliment as well - I enjoy writing for Faith, and I'm happy if it comes off authentic.

Our girls are definitely going to have issues to work on - moreso after what's coming up... (evil laugh)

As for Anya, she's quite the badass, isn't she? Maybe growing up as a higher being is repressive, or something.

And the plot twist...no answers this time, I'm afraid. Stay tuned, though!

highlandlass25 - I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying. Much more cliffhangery angsty goodness to come!

Chapter 8 - There's only this

Willow laid her book aside as Tara began to stir. Blue eyes fluttered slowly open and regarded her with an expression that seemed to border on naked fear.

“Tara? What’s wrong?”

“W-Willow?”

“It’s me, sweetie.”

“I’m so s-s-s-s-s-“ the word seemed to stick in her throat, and her face began to turn an alarming purple. Willow eased herself out of her chair and stood beside the bed, taking Tara’s head and holding it gently against her swollen middle.

“It’s okay, baby,” she whispered, stroking the short black hair she still hadn’t adjusted to. “Just breathe, it’s okay, just breathe.”

“sorry!” the word finally exploded with a gasp and a flood of warm tears. “I’m s-so sorry!”

“Everything’s all right, now, Tare, I promise. Everything’s all right.”

“I’ve been so miserable, Willow. Please…I just want to be h-happy again. Can I be happy again?”

Willow’s eyes teared and she pulled her closer. “Of course you can, Tara. Of course you can. There’s nothing to be-“ she broke off sharply.

“W-Willow?” Tara pulled away and looked up, her eyes widening as she realized all the color had gone out of Willow’s face. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know,” she whispered. “I think – ohhhhh – I think the babies are on their way.”

“T-Too soon!” Tara cried. “It’s t-too soon!”

“Tell them that.”

Tara reached over and began frantically ringing the call button beside her bed as Willow sat heavily back into her chair. “H-HELP!” she cried. “HELP!”
[hr]
Buffy’s phone rang again, and she pulled it from her pocket.

“Jesus, B, could you shut that thing off for a while?”

Buffy put the phone to her ear, mouthing ‘I’m sorry’ to Faith. “Hello?” “Tara, you’ve got to – I don’t understand! Slow down! What about Willow?” She listened for a moment. “Oh, god. Okay, we’re on our way. Stay calm, okay?”

She hung up and pulled a twenty from her purse, throwing it on the table. “What’s up, B?” Faith inquired.

“Willow’s gone into labor.”

“Wait – she’s like, seven months now, right?”

“More like six, barely.”

“Fuck…Okay, grab us a cab, I’ll be right there.” Once Buffy was out the door, Faith walked into a dark corner of the bar.

“Okay – are you done spying on her now? Want to share a cab?”

Angel cursed. “How long have you known?”

“A while. Let’s get one thing straight, Angel. She’s mine. I don’t care what you’ve been doing while I’ve been away, but if you fuck with me I’m going to put a stake in your heart – human or not.”

“She’s yours, huh? Funny, that’s not what she said the last time I kissed her.”

“I don’t have time for this, Angel. If you want to make this an alley fight, I’m game – but later. Want to share a cab or not?”

“Yeah, why not?”

They walked out the door together, and Buffy did a double-take. “Angel?”

“He was havin’ a drink in the back – saw him when I was comin’ out of the head. Just a coincidence, B, he didn’t know we were here.” Buffy looked to him for confirmation, and he nodded.

“Okay, well the cab’s waiting. Let’s go.”
[hr]
Fifteen minutes later, they pushed open the doors to Willow’s room, where the staff was working diligently to prevent her labor from getting any further along. From the blue air around them, however, it was clear they were having no luck. Tara sat slumped in a chair in the corner of the room, a blank expression on her face. Buffy approached her.

“Tara?”

There was no response, not even a twitch to show she’d heard.

“Tara, it’s going to be okay.”

When there was no response again, Buffy turned to Angel, who’d begun conversing with one of the doctors.

“Angel?”

He held up a hand to indicate he’d be a moment. She bounced impatiently from foot to foot as they spoke in hushed tones, and perked up as Angel approached her, calling Faith over as well. He shot a look at Tara and kept his voice low. “They think it’s too late to stop the labor.”

“What does that mean?” Faith hissed. “What about the babies?”

He looked at her, his expression rigid and downcast. “They’re not going to have much of a chance. It’s just too soon.”

“But…they’re the line. The slayers…if they die now, what happens?”

“How do I know?”

“Tara…” whispered Buffy.

“Whassat, B?”

“Tara – this is going to kill her. It’s too much. On top of everything else – it’s too much.”

“What can we do about it? I mean, she knows what’s happening, she’s right goddamn here.”

“I don’t know.”

The conversation was interrupted by the doctor’s shout. “Okay, we’ve got to get her to the o.r. now! We’re going to lose all three of them if we don’t!” They began to wheel Willow out when Tara held up a hand.

“Wait.”

“Miss, please-“

“I said wait.” She rose and strode confidently across the room, pushing between the nurses and laying her hands on Willow’s stomach.

“Tara?” whispered Willow. “What’s…”

“Shh…it’s okay, love. It’s all okay. This isn’t going to happen. I won’t allow this to happen.” Her hands still firmly pressed against the current home of her two daughters, she rolled her head back and closed her eyes.

“Miss, we don’t have time-“

“Tara, you’ve got to let them-“

“T, what the fuck-“

All of the conversation stopped as Tara’s hair turned a shocking white. Streams of energy began to flow from her fingers, stuttering like a live wire on pavement at first, but quickly turning into steady torrents. Willow’s back arched and she gasped aloud as whatever power Tara was putting forth entered her. Everyone in the room was frozen as they took in what they were seeing. After what seemed like hours, but was closer to five minutes, Tara took her hands from Willow and walked slowly back to her chair, her hair resuming its black color. Her chest heaved once, twice…and she fell instantly asleep.
[hr]
“Jesus, Mary and Joseph!” the doctor exclaimed when everyone found their voices again. “What the hell was that?”

“I don’t know,” the nurse closest to him replied, “but her contractions have stopped.”

“What?”

“She’s…the labor has stopped.”

“How?”

“I don’t know, doctor. It just has.”

“You know what?” he cried, tearing off his gloves. “To hell with this! Get someone else in here. If I’d wanted to deal with weird shit like this I’d have gone to work with my brother in Sunnydale!” He stormed out, leaving the nurses the job of stabilizing Willow, who’d fallen asleep almost the same instant as Tara. There was little for them to do, however, and it wasn’t long before they exited, leaving the stunned trio of Buffy, Angel and Faith to mull over what had just happened.

“Um…okay, where do I start with that one?” Buffy pondered.

“I’d start with – huh?”

“That’s ‘bout where I’m at, B. What just happened?”

“I don’t have a clue.”

“I thought she couldn’t do magick anymore, Buffy. Or did I miss something?”

“Nope – that’s the gist of what Willow told me. Not a single spell, ever again.”

“And that wasn’t magick, B?”

“I don’t KNOW!” Buffy cried, rubbing her temples. “I only know what you guys know, so if you don’t know than I don’t know, you know?” She thought about her words for a moment before shaking her head. “Now I sound like Willow.”

“’Kay, since we’re on the subject of Red, is she okay?”

“Her vitals are fine,” said Angel. “And the labor has stopped. I’m guessing she’s okay. Just asleep.”

“And T?”

“Asleep too – they wanted to move her back to her own room, but I advised them that wouldn’t be a good idea. If she wakes up and Willow’s not there…well, if she’s got that kind of power again I don’t want to think about what might happen.”

“But…where would she get that kind of power?”

“I can’t even speculate. It’s not a magic pusher or anything like that, but beyond that I don’t know.”

They regarded the sleeping couple warily, lost in thought.
[hr]
Spike was wandering. That’s all he’d done since they’d found Tara, wandering the back alleys of Portland and getting drunk on cheap bourbon. He’d managed to avoid the others, who’d fortunately been too preoccupied with looking after Tara to notice he’d been gone.

“Well, if you’d have looked after her better yourself, you tosser, she wouldn’t be in this position now, would she? She’d be happy and healthy at home. But you screwed it up and let her get away, and now look at her.”

He tossed the bottle he held against the wall, where it smashed loudly into a lot of pieces. He stumbled around an alley corner and stopped dead at what he saw.

“Wait…what the bloody hell-“ was all he managed before the world went black.
[hr]
“I’m bored,” Anya remarked as they watched T.V. in Willow and Tara’s room.

“God, can you not sit still for longer than five minutes? Really?”

“What, you never got bored as a teenager? And don’t lie – I’ve seen your whole life, remember.”

“Of course I did, and I did some dumb teenage stuff, but I’m past that now. There’s bad things going on out there, and I don’t think us getting caught in the middle of it all by going out in the middle of the night is a good plan.”

“Whatever. I’m going out.”

“You’ll never get past Clem. That demon’s pretty quick.”

“I don’t intend to go past him. We’re upstairs, remember? I’m going out the window.”

“Don’t, okay? Just stay here, we’ll watch some movies and eat popcorn, it’ll be fun.”

“Sorry, Dawn. I’m going – you can come with or not, your choice.”

She climbed out and dropped to the ground, leaving Dawn to sigh and shake her head. “God, if I was this much of a pain in the ass it’s no wonder Buffy used to get so pissed.” She stood and followed Anya out the window.

Anya was already moving when Dawn hit the ground. “Hey,” she hissed. “Wait up! Where are we going?”

“The Bronze. I want to dance.”

As they turned left at the end of Revello, Dawn grabbed Anya’s blouse. “Where are you going? The Bronze is that way.” She pointed in the opposite direction.

“Okay, I lied.”

“So where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise.”
[hr]
Spike felt himself waking, but willed his eyes to stay shut until he could figure out if someone was watching him. It wasn’t long before he got his answer.

“You might as well open your eyes, Spike. You’re not fooling anyone.”

He did so, taking in the sight of the man in front of him. “And who in the hell are you, then?”

“No-one, Spike. I’m no-one.” The man was short and nondescript, dressed in a natty suit only slightly out of style. His bald pate reflected the light of the overhead fluorescents, and his steel-rimmed spectacles reflected Spike’s curious gaze back at him. “But I believe you knew my former partner.”

“And who in the bloody hell was your former partner?”

“His name was Lindsey.”
[hr]

Dum Dum Dum...stay tuned, folks!

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 5/29)
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:33 pm 
2. Floating Rose

THAT WAS AWSOME! Gonna go re-read it now

I know there's a Hell, I work in retail.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:56 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky oh HELL rollercoaster much ahhhhh love it though :kdevil

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:05 am 
5. Willowhand

This is great, but I might have to kill you now. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:06 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

more more more more more :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

"When you get excited about something, one might imagine you as a small, maniacally grinning rubber ball, which someone throws at the wall in an enclosed room, and goes bouncing off every surface for about 15 minutes."
- Mudrat

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:28 am 
23. Volumey Text

Great update.

Well Angel's certainly persistent. Willow's talk obviously didn't get through to him. It seemed to me he mentioned kissing Buffy in order to make Faith jealous, perhaps to get them arguing again.

Willow going into labour was a bit worrying. It's a good thing Tara was able to stop it, even though the fact she was raises quite a few questions.

Anya certainly seems to be quite the young terror. Perhaps as a result of spending her formative years fighting the senior partners, rather than with her parents.

Looking forward to the next part

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:16 pm 
8. Vixen

Ohhooo... Anya truly is a teenager haha.
I really wonder why Faith didnt tell Buffy the truth about Angel lurking. What does she have up her sleeve?
Tara truly IS a goddes hm? At least I guess that's what the whole white hair deal was about, right? :P
Great update!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:24 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

It may have been short but you sure packed a lot in.

Tarafied4Life wrote:
“You know what?” he cried, tearing off his gloves. “To hell with this! Get someone else in here. If I’d wanted to deal with weird shit like this I’d have gone to work with my brother in Sunnydale!”

Too funny!

Personally, I can't wait to see Faith and Angel go toe-to-toe over Buffy. I by no mean condone Faith's skipping out but Angel doesn't have a right to troll around in waters he knows are spoken for. Of course, I half expect Buffy to throw up her hands and walk away from both of them, and I wouldn't blame her. Time F and A grew up.

Wow. Tara is sporting the white witch whammy, eh? Did I miss something, some hint you dropped about this potential? Hmm...may be time to go back re-read.

Seems Spike still has a knack of getting himself in trouble. Hope the Scoobies can save him.

I've got to say that Anya is annoying the heck out of me - much more than her namesake ever did. Why can't she do what her mothers asked her to do? Is that so hard? Hmmm....

In case you couldn't tell, I'm enjoying this tale. Looking forward to more.
Michelle

Last edited by mole on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:21 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Okay Tarafied4Life I'm conviced you hate me! I'Your killin me with the cliffhanger's! Cut it out!
(By the by, :kgeek WOO-HOO on the update. Lovin It!! :D)
:peace Akyiree

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 9/21/2009)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:47 pm 
5. Willowhand

Okay, here goes:

Three years ago, when the updates to this story stopped, it was one of the roughest periods of my life, and I couldn't really face this story anymore without being reminded of it. Recently, though, I can't get it out of my head - and I'd really, really like to give it the ending it deserved. This was the first, and the longest, thing I ever wrote, and I'd like to finally see it through.

So here's the first update of hopefully many, right to the end. I don't know if anyone besides me remembers this story, or is even remotely interested, but I'd like to dedicate this chapter to everyone at the KB - you were all so amazing and wonderful in helping me through my darkest hours, and I owe you all a great deal. Thank you, everyone.

Chapter 9 – Forgetting Regret

“Lindsey, Lindsey...I vaguely remember someone with that name. Bit of a moron, from what I recall.”

“You can save the bravado, Spike. You’ll notice you’re not restrained, and that I’m not armed. I only want to talk. And while we’re on the subject, I agree – he was a moron. His continual screw-ups cost me dearly.”

“If I’m not restrained,” Spike stood up from the chair he was seated in and stretched, “and you’re not armed, then what’s to prevent me beating you senseless?”

“Not a thing. Well, okay, there is one thing. The man who’s currently waiting for my instructions.”

Spike whirled around, but the room was empty beyond the two of them. “What man?”

“Not here. He’s at the hospital with your friends.”

“Talk quickly,” Spike warned, “I’m running out of bloody patience now.”

“I want what your little witch did reversed. Or, more specifically, my new...employer does. She’s thrown the world way out of balance, and it’s not good for business.”

“If you hurt her, I promise I’ll gut you.”

“Hurt her?” the man laughed. “Dear boy – she’s the only one that can fix things, so I’m certainly not going to hurt her. What I am going to do, though, is give you a deadline. I want Tara, in Rome, by the end of next week. If she isn’t, the man I spoke of earlier is going to kill your friends. And he’s going to start with Angel.”

Spike froze. “What?”

“Don’t make me repeat myself.”

“And if I kill you? Right now?”

“Then when he doesn’t hear from me, he’ll start killing them. This is a good deal, Spike – no sacrifice required, on any of your parts. She just has to take back what she did, and I’ll call my man off. I really do suggest you take it.”

“Oh, yeah – it’s a great deal. Other than the part where we end up reopening all the hellmouths and letting the demons back onto earth. How stupid do you think I am?”

“Well, you don’t want me answering that.” Spike lunged at him, and he vanished. His voice spoke one more time, from everywhere at once. “Two weeks, Spike.”

[hr]

“Anya – this is a graveyard.”

“Congrats – you win the Captain Obvious award!” Anya’s green eyes sparkled.

“Why are we here? I thought you wanted to dance.”

“Oh, I do!” She turned away, her red hair fanning out behind her. “Come on out, little creatures of the night!” she yelled into the darkness.

“Quiet!” Dawn hissed. “Are you crazy?”

“Dawn, I have so much power. It’s half the reason I have trouble staying still, sometimes it feels like I’m vibrating with it. I’d like to burn some of it off – does that make any sense?”

“I guess, but – isn’t there a safer way?”

“Maybe. This is more fun, though.” Anya grinned, and Dawn couldn’t help but smile back at her – the teenager’s energy was infectious. The smile vanished, though, as she saw the four vampires surrounding them. “Aww,” Anya pouted, “just four? You guys are hardly even trying anymore.”

“Well, now that we can’t sire more-“ one of them began, before a look from one of the others shut him up.

“Wait,” Anya laughed, “you mean the whole ‘no more demons’ thing?”

The vampires slowed to a stop. “What do you know about it?”

“That was my mom,” Anya bragged proudly. “So, this is why we haven’t had a single report of a vampire attack since we got back in town – if you lose one, you can’t replace them!”

“You think this is funny?” the one to Anya’s left snarled. “We’re being exterminated!”

“Hold on while I boo-hoo for the poor vampires, okay?” All four of them leapt then, and Anya threw a stake in Dawn’s direction. “Hold that!” she shouted. “Come on, uglies – it’s me you want!” they came at her all at once, and she responded with a flurry of magic. One vampire went up in flames, then another. The other two turned to run, and she incinerated one of them. The other froze in place, stuck fast. “Come on over, Dawn,” Anya grinned. “Stake him.”

Standing behind the motionless vampire, Dawn slammed the stake into his back. As it pierced his heart, he crumbled into dust. Dawn grinned. “I love that.”

“See? I told you we’d have fun. Now, let’s...let’s...” Anya trailed off. Dawn followed her gaze.

“Oh, god. Anya, I’m sorry – I never thought...”

“It’s okay,” Anya tried for a casual tone, but the break in her voice gave her away. “I picked the spot, after all.”

“But I should have thought – it didn’t even occur to me. I haven’t been here since we raised Sunnydale...”

“Dawn!” Anya insisted. “It’s okay. Really. It’s...” the sudden flood of her tears seemed to surprise her nearly as much as it surprised Dawn. “It’s okay,” she repeated. “It’s just – seeing that, and I’ve been so worried about her since she disappeared...”

“Let’s go home, okay?” Anya nodded silently, taking Dawn’s offered hand. The stone behind them stood mute, but the inscription – ‘Tara Maclay’ - seemed to cry out after them. “It’s okay,” Dawn assured her. “She’s okay – that was another life.”

“I know,” Anya whispered, wiping tears away with her free hand. “I really want to see her.”

“I’ll call Buffy when we get home, okay? I’ll see if you can get her on the phone. I know it’s not as good as seeing her...”

“It’s as close as I’ll get for a while, though – thank you, Dawnie. You’re...you’ve been amazing to me. Keeping me company, putting up with me being a selfish brat – thank you.”

Dawn smiled. “Nobody’s called me that in a long time.”

“Do you not like it? I can stop, if you want.”

“No, it’s okay,” Dawn assured her. They walked in companionable silence the rest of the way.

[hr]

The room was familiar, but different. Looking around, Tara guessed that it looked as it did when it was Buffy’s bedroom. “Hello?” she called into the silence. “Is there someone h-here?”

“There is,” a voice replied from behind her. She turned and took in the sight of the speaker. He was tall – nearly six foot six if she were to guess – and his build was massive. His closely shaven head caught the soft sunlight, and his blue eyes were hard. He sat down on Buffy’s bed and it groaned in protest.

“So – who are you?”

“You can call me Michael.”

“L-like the angel?”

“Like that, yes.”

“Why are we h-here?”

“Because you’ve angered some powerful forces. Set things in motion that you can’t control. And because this may well be the end of days.”

“Oh.” Tara sat down heavily. “I see. And who do you represent, exactly – the Powers?”

“Hardly. The Powers are middle management. This case has caught attention from...well, let’s just call them Upper Management. They don’t normally get involved in your affairs, but you changed the game.”

“In a b-bad way?” Tara asked, confused.

“Not at all – there’s no good or bad in change. The best word, I think, would be...profound. The scales, the balance, everything has shifted.”

“But that was months ago – why are, uh, Upper M-Management taking an interest now?”

“Until now you’ve been safe. The forces aligned against you were crushed and scattered with the destruction of the Senior Partners and the closing of the hellmouths. But now, they’ve begun to regroup. And they will be coming after you, with everything they can muster.”

“And h-how much is that, exactly?”

“Well, they’ll be led by Chaos. Not in the abstract, but literally. He walks the earth now, in the form of a mortal. And there are still enough demons on this plane to be a formidable army.”

“What do they w-want? Just to kill me?”

“Kill you? No. They need what’s in your head, Tara – the spell you used. They can sense that their time is coming to an end, and so they seek to reopen the hellmouths and tip the scales back in their favour. That’s why your children were spared – whatever happens, the Slayer line must continue.”

“That w-was you?” Tara exclaimed.

“Yes – I do apologise for using you as a vessel without your permission, but there wasn’t time to ask.” He rose, and began to walk away. He stopped at the bedroom’s door and turned back. “Know this,” he told her. “If you seek atonement, if you desire redemption, then this is your opportunity. If Chaos can be banished from the Earth, then the forces of light will hold such sway that they will never be dethroned. Every life lost in the struggle, every moment of pain will be made worthwhile. Evil will be all but powerless, now and always.”

“And will we be g-getting any help?” Tara raised an eyebrow.

“You’ve had it,” he smiled – the sight was chilling, rather than comforting. “Management will go on, however this turns out – this is your battle to win.” With that, he walked out and closed the door behind him. As it slammed, Tara jerked awake. In a panic, her eyes scanned the room for Willow – and found her, fast asleep in her bed. She pulled her chair close and took her hand.

She was still holding it when the door opened and Angel, Faith and Buffy entered. Tara greeted them with a smile that felt odd on her face. They looked warily at her.

“So – what’s new, T? When exactly did you get your mojo back?”

“It wasn’t mine,” Tara corrected. “Why don’t you sit down, all three of you – we have a lot to talk about.”

They were still gathering chairs when Buffy’s phone rang.

“Hello? Yes, Dawn – no, Tara’s here. Hold on a sec.” She passed the phone over.

“Hello?” Tara could hear shaky breaths on the other end of the line. “Dawn?”

“No, it’s...it’s me.”

“Anya? Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I just – I really needed to hear your voice, mom. Don’t tell Buffy, but we were, uh, out in a graveyard tonight, and we ran across...umm...well, we found your grave.”

“Oh,” Tara replied, cursing herself for not being able to form a more coherent thought. “I’m okay, sweetheart – I promise you. I’m so sorry for what I put you through, my baby, and seeing that must have been so terrible for you. I’ll tell you what, darling – the minute your mama feels up to it, we’ll fly back home and we’ll spend so much time together that you’re sick of me. How’s that sound?”

“That sounds great, mom – I love you,” Anya’s voice was thick with unshed tears. “I love you so much.”

Tara could feel tears sliding down her cheeks, but she waved Buffy away when she approached to see if everything was okay. “I love you too, Anya – you’re our whole world, you know, mine and your mama’s. We’ll see you soon, okay?”

“Okay – goodbye, mom.”

“Goodbye, sweetheart.” Tara listened for the click of Anya hanging up before hanging up herself. She wiped her tears away with the back of her sleeve. “Okay,” she said shakily, “where were we?”

“T, if you need a sec-“

“No. I need to tell you what’s happening, and I want to remember everything he told me.”

Faith looked at Buffy, who gave her a puzzled shrug. “Who’s ‘he’?”

“It’s a long story.”

[hr]

More to come!

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 9/21/2009)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:21 pm 
5. Willowhand

Another update - woo-hoo!

Chapter 10 – The Walkin’ Dude

“Huh,” Buffy said, when Tara had spun her story. “Didn’t see that coming.”

“No shit,” Faith remarked from beside her. “I don’t s’pose this guy had any useful info, like...oh, I dunno...what Chaos looks like?” Tara shook her head. “Fuck. Sometimes I wonder why these ‘Higher Powers’ talk to us, if they’re not gonna tell us nothin’.”

“I don’t know if we can win this,” Angel said quietly. The others looked sharply at him. “I’m sorry,” he said, “but I’m just calling it like I see it. I’m human now. So is Spike. Tara has no magic. Willow’s not going to be in any shape to fight. We don’t have a lot of weapons at our disposal.”

“You mean, besides two slayers and a child of magic?” Buffy raised an eyebrow. “We’ve saved the world with less. I did it once with a sword, remember?”

Angel coughed. “I’m not doubting you, Buffy...but let’s be realistic. We’re talking about Chaos incarnate, and whatever demons are left on Earth. Without an army, we don’t have a chance.”

“So...what, then? We should just let them have Tara?”

“No, that’s not what...maybe we should just give them what they need. Tara’s spell, and the scythe.”

“What?” Faith shot to her feet. “Are you smacked outta your head? Let them re-open the hellmouths? Flood the earth with demons? Great plan, fangy smurf – really brilliant.”

“I’m trying to keep Buffy safe.”

Faith’s eyes flashed. “It’s not your job to keep her safe – it’s mine!”

“Well, I don’t see you doing it!” Faith leapt at him, but Buffy intercepted her. She gave Tara an apologetic look. “Excuse us a second.” Taking them both by their collars, she dragged them out into the hall.

“Okay, what the hell is going on here? Would either of you like to pee on my leg, just to make it more obvious that you’re marking your territory? We’re staring down the barrel of the last fight – the one that’s going to decide what kind of world Willow’s babies will grow up in – and you two are fighting like children on a playground?”

“B, it’s not-“

“Quiet – I’m talking now. As of right now – this exact second – I’m done with you both. When this is all over, Faith, if you’ve proved you can grow up, I still want a life with you – but you’d better get your head on straight. Angel,” she sighed. “Get it through your head, okay? It’s never going to happen. There wasn’t much chance before, and your acting like a spoiled brat really hasn’t helped your case. Get over it, or get gone. For now, I’m going back in to reassure Tara that we’re not going to feed her to a bunch of demons.” She turned and stomped away, not once looking over her shoulder. As the door to Tara’s room closed, Faith stared daggers at Angel.

“This is your fuckin’ fault. If I could still punch you without separating your head from your shoulders, I would.”

Angel grinned savagely and lashed out at her with a fist. She sidestepped it easily. “You don’t wanna do this, soul-boy.”

“Oh, I really do. You abandon her – leave her on her own for months, barely speak to her, but all’s forgiven because you show up and say sorry?” he swung again, and she stepped back. “The time I spent with her – the help I gave her while you were gone – none of that’s worth anything?”

Faith dodged another blow. “So, you only helped her to get in her pants? And you wanna complain that she doesn’t love you? I can’t imagine why.” She caught his fist and applied pressure. He groaned, feeling his bones grind together. “I don’t want to hurt you, Angel, as much as you’re pissing me off. I love her. And for some fucked-up reason, she loves me too. Hurting you would hurt her, and I don’t want to do that. So I’m askin’ nicely – let it go. Settle for friends – or walk away.”

She released his hand and stood stock still, leaving herself wide open for a punch. Angel took a long, ragged breath. His fist clenched and then slowly unclenched. Without a word, he stepped around Faith and headed for the exit.

[hr]

“I’m really sorry,” Buffy told Tara, clasping her hands. “There was no need for you to be in the middle of their pissing contest.”

“It’s okay, Buffy, really. You’re, um, you’re not thinking of giving them the spell or the scythe, are you?”

“No! Just because Angel’s lost his mind, doesn’t mean I’m going to. I want to fight – I want to end this.”

“Good,” Tara sighed with relief. Her stomach chose that moment to growl loudly, and she flushed.

“Have you eaten since yesterday?”

“Uh...no. I got a bit distracted, I guess.”

“Well, then, let’s go down to the cafeteria-“ Buffy saw the nervous look that Tara shot Willow’s way, “check that. I’ll go down to the cafeteria and try and find you something edible. Or two or three things – you need to put some weight back on.” With a smile, she headed back out of the room and stopped just short of running into Faith.

“Where you headed, B?”

“Caf – Tara neads some food.”

“Could I...I mean, do you want me to come with?”

“Yeah – I’d like that. Where’s Angel?”

“He, uh, he left.” Buffy sighed.

“Probably for the best. Come on, let’s go.”

As they stepped onto the elevator, Tara sat down beside Willow and stroked her hair gently. “Come on back to me, baby. There’s so much I need to tell you.”

[hr]

“Gin!” Anya shouted triumphantly. “Summers, you suck.”

“I do not – if we were playing a proper game, I’d be kicking your ass.”

“Really?” Anya laughed. “And what’s a proper game?”

“Uh...go fish?”

Anya pealed laughter. “Oh, Dawn – you’re precious.”

“Precious? I’m not five, you know!” Dawn was indignant. Anya reached over the pile of card with both hand and pinched her cheeks.

“But you’re so cute!” she cried, and Dawn smacked her arms away. “Stop it!” she cried, but her tone lost its stern edge when she began to giggle. Her hands found Anya’s as she reached out to pinch her cheeks again, and their fingers locked as they both laughed. When the moment had passed, they found their hands still together. Their eyes met for a moment, and they both flushed and released their grip.

“Uh...so,” Anya tried to keep her voice light. “Go fish, huh?”

“I’m the master of go fish,” Dawn nodded.

“Well, you’d better be ready to back up all that talk!”

Anya gathered up the cards and shuffled, the two of them exchanging furtive glances all the while. She dealt and looked furtively at her hand.

“Do you have any threes?”

“Go fish. Anya...” Dawn looked away. “Never mind.”

“No – if you want to ask me something Dawnie, go ahead.”

“Do you have any fours?”

“Go fish.”

“What was it like?”

“What was what like?”

“Growing up – I mean, on a higher plane or whatever.” Dawn looked sidelong at her.

Anya whistled through her teeth. “Kind of hard to describe, really. There was no school – which, given what I’ve seen of your life and Buffy’s, is a plus – but I was never really a kid in the sense that you mean. It all happened in a flash, like...did you watch the Matrix?”

“Yeah,” Dawn looked puzzled.

“It’s like – that scene where they stick the plug in the back of your neck and suddenly you just know things. I saw everything – all of you, all your lives while I was gone – learned what it meant to be human, and I found out my ‘grand destiny’”, she made quotation marks in the air with her fingers, “and then suddenly it was time for me to leave.”

“But Tara’s mom – you were with her, right?”

“I...” Anya rubbed her forehead. “It’s so hard to explain. She was there, but it’s not like we baked cookies and did all those other things you do with a grandmother down here. She was a mentor, a teacher – she sort of, uh, programmed the download that I got...am I making any sense at all?”

“I think so.” Dawn looked thoughtful. “And wiping out the Senior Partners? That must have been fun!”

“It actually wasn’t the grand battle everyone seems to think it was. I pretty much walked into their midst and the power in me exploded. And then they were gone.”

“Huh. So – is it more fun down here?”

Anya grinned. “Definitely. But I’m starting to realise how much I have left to figure out.”

“How do you mean?” Dawn laid her cards down, the game forgotten.

“Promise you won’t tell anyone this?”

Dawn traced a cross over her heart with one finger.

“After Mama’s baby shower, I...I slept with Spike.”

Dawn coughed. “You what?”

Anya flushed. “I saw so much of him, when I got that download into my head. He seemed so perfect, and I just kind of threw myself at him. And then I made it worse – I told him if he wouldn’t keep seeing me that I’d tell Mom and Mama both that he’d slept with me.”

“Anya, that’s – that’s really not okay. At all.”

“I know,” she whispered, looking down at the table between them. “I get that now. And it’s so much worse than that, because now that I’ve been here longer, there’s something I really want to do, and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to.”

“What’s that?”

“I...I’d really like to kiss you.”

[hr]

“B?” Faith asked, as they carried precariously balanced trays of food to the elevator.

“Yeah?”

“Didn’t T’s mom say, after the last big battle, that we’d never have to fight another fight like that?”

“Yeah, I guess so. But technically, we don’t have to fight this one.”

“I thought you were voting against just letting them win.”

“Oh, I am – muchly. But we could hide Tara for the rest of her life. Stay underground, stay hidden, and hope Chaos never finds us.”

“But you wouldn’t.”

“No. If we have a chance for peace – real peace – then I want to take it. I’d like to retire and grow old, and die in bed surrounded by family. I’d like Willow’s children to be very bored Slayers, taking on the occasional lone vampire or demon without any real chance of dying themselves. I’d like everyone to be happy. And if winning this fight will give all of us that chance, then I’m volunteering.”

“When you...this family, that you’re surrounded by when you’re old...”

“Yes, Faith. If you can get ahold of yourself and stop being so stubborn and jealous, then yes – the family I see is yours and mine. I kinda love you, you big dummy.”

“B...” Faith leaned closer. Buffy pulled away.

“No – no smoochies. I’m still mad at you.” The elevator doors opened, and Buffy walked in, smiling over her shoulder at Faith.

[hr]

“Chaos,” said the bald-headed man whom Spike had met earlier. “I remain – as ever – thy faithful servant.”

“I know – it’s the only reason I haven’t killed you yet. Where do we stand with the witch?”

“She’ll be delivered to us in Rome, in two weeks.”

“You’re sure?”

“I isolated one of their group. Threatened that which means the most to him. He’ll deliver her, I assure you.”

“Good. I have a stop to make first. Go forth – gather the demons. March on Rome – marshal outside the city. I will be there in time for the witch to be delivered.”

“And where will you go?”

“Sunnydale. I need a key cut.”

[hr]

More soon, I hope![hr]

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 9/23/2009)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:51 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
Oh wow, two updates! I never thought I'd see the end of this, so excited!

I love how you write everyone, it's so believable.

Can't wait for more!

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next