The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 9/23/2009)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:47 pm 
5. Willowhand

Laragh wrote:
Oh wow, two updates! I never thought I'd see the end of this, so excited!

I love how you write everyone, it's so believable.

Can't wait for more!

You're much too kind - Thank you! Honestly, I never thought I'd see the end of it either, but I think I just might...

And now a third update!

Chapter 11 – The Sound of Drums
Rating: R for language, I suppose.
Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Willow’s eyes opened just as Buffy handed Tara a tray of food. Tara laughed as she blinked sleepily. “I should have known Jell-O w-would be enough to wake you.”

“Ooh, Jell-O?” Willow grinned. She scooted up the bed and took the offered snack. “So...what’d I miss?”

Alternating between them, they laid it all out for her. She set the plastic cup aside on the table beside the bed. “Suddenly, I’m less hungry.”

“Come on, baby – our daughters n-need food too. Just try, okay?”

“Fine,” Willow grumbled. “So...the big smackdown. Where’s it supposed to happen?”

“Rome,” Spike answered from the doorway. “In two weeks.”

“And how do you know that, exactly?” Faith stared at him.

“I...got a message. You’re all supposed to be there.” Spike lied hastily. “Some kind of higher being – I don’t know exactly who he was.”

“Upper Management?” Tara asked.

“I don’t know – he really wasn’t forthcoming with details.”

“You know, if we keep having apocalypses there, they’re going to stop letting us in the country. Two weeks, huh?” Buffy mused. “I guess we’d better get started. I’ll call Giles, and see what he can find on Chaos. Since he and Ethan were tight, he might have some useful info.”

“We should head b-back to Sunnydale, as soon as p-possible.” Tara said. Willow raised a hand, like an eager pupil wanting to answer a question.

“Guys? Before we get into full-on planning mode, could you give Tara and me a few minutes?”

“Oh,” Buffy looked taken aback. “Of course. Come on, guys.” When the door closed behind them, Willow turned to Tara.

“We need to talk.”

“About w-what?”

“Us. If you think that you’re forgiven, just because there’s another apocalypse coming...”

“I d-don’t,” Tara looked down, trying to hide behind hair that was too short to cover her face. “I n-never thought that.”

“Good. I like seeing you this way again, though.”

“W-what way?”

“With a purpose. Not so sad,” Willow reached out and stroked her cheek. “I need you to promise me something – right now, okay?”

“What?”

“No, you have to promise first.”

“Fine – I p-promise.”

“Good.”

“Now w-what did I promise?”

“That we’ll never be apart again. There’s going to be no more leaving me behind, no more hiding, no more secrets. Whatever comes at us from here on, we face it together. Because otherwise, this...us...it doesn’t mean anything. You told me a long time ago that being in a relationship means I don’t get to decide what’s best for us. Do you remember?”

“Yes,” Tara whispered. “I remember.”

“Well, it works the other way too.”

“I know,” Tara nodded, a tear sliding down her cheek. “I’m s-sorry. For e-everything.”

“Shh,” Willow whispered. “No more sorry. You’ve apologised enough now – it’s time to get on living. Now come up here and kiss me. And then we’re having some yummy hospital food, and then we’re going to a hairdresser to get that black taken out and give you a nicer-looking cut. That colour is awful – I know you were going all emo, but you could have at least picked a nice black instead of ‘inky number seven.’”

Tara kissed her softly. “I’ve missed Willowbabble.”

“I’ve missed having you to babble to. Now eat up – you’re too skinny! My Tara has lots of lovely curves, and I want them back.” Willow smiled.

[hr]

“Hello?”

“Buffy? Is that you? It’s lovely to hear from you.”

“Is it, Giles? Is there a reason you never call me, then?””

“I...” he sighed.

“I know – Faith. But you’re going to have to get over it and deal. Besides, we’ve got a whole new apocalypse coming, so you might get your chance to fight yet.” She explained the situation, pausing only to answer questions. “So – is Ethan still in the Initiative’s prison?”

“Not exactly – I had him transferred to a comparable facility here in England. I thought it best that there was someone nearby if he were to escape. I’ll have one of the girls go and speak to him as soon as possible.”

“No – you know he’ll just jerk them around. You go. He might be a bit more upfront with you.”

There was a long hesitation. “Very well. I’ll call you the minute I know anything. And Buffy – I am sorry that we’ve drifted out of touch. I never meant for that.”

“I know. We’ll talk more later, okay?”

“Goodbye, Buffy.” There was a click, and he was gone.

Buffy flipped her mobile shut and turned to Faith, who looked crestfallen. “It’s okay, Faith – really. He’ll come through.”

“I know,” she said quietly. “I still shouldn’t have done that to him.”

“You’re hot-headed,” Buffy patted her shoulder. “It’s part of what makes you so cute. Admittedly not your best decision, but it’s in the past. Since Tara came back – hell, long before that - we’ve all screwed up. We’ve all hurt people we love. And that includes me. That’s what family and friends are all about – we get the occasional free pass. Now come on, we have plane tickets to buy.”

[hr]

The knock at the front door caught Clem by surprise. He jerked awake in his chair in front of the television and got up slowly. Still rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he pulled open the front door. Before he could make a sound, the man on the other side knocked him unconscious. Stepping over his felled form, the man slowly and silently ascended the stairs.

In the bedroom, Dawn was still staring at Anya in shock. “What did you say?”

Anya blushed brick red and looked down. “Nothing. Forget it.”

“I really won’t. Did you say you wanted to kiss me?”

“Yeah,” Anya mumbled. “Isn’t gonna happen, though, so forget I said it.”

“Why would you want to do that?”

Anya scoffed. “Have you seen you? How could you even ask?” She flushed even darker. “Uhm...that was supposed to be an inside-my-head sort of thought.”

Dawn leaned toward her, and the man in the hall chose that moment to kick the door in. Anya cursed inwardly, even as she tucked and rolled away from the door. She came to her feet and froze as she caught sight of the man.

“Dawn,” she whispered. “Run. Get out the window. Go now.”

“Not without you. He’s just one guy.”

“He’s not a guy. That’s Chaos.”

“I...what do you mean?”

“I mean Chaos, the lower power – I can see it in his aura. Just run. I’ll hold him as long as I can.”

“I won’t leave you,” Dawn hissed, taking her hand.

“What do you want?” Anya asked the man.

“I need a key.”

Anya’s pulse quickened, and she shielded Dawn behind herself. “That’s never going to happen, Chaos. Ever.”

“Aww – is the child of magic going to stop me? That’s cute.”

“Dawn, please run. Please – I can’t stop him, not really. I can buy you some time, but I need you to run.”

“But-“

“Go, dammit!” Anya cried, and Dawn bolted for the window. She climbed down the side of the house, using a path she remembered from her teenage adventures. She’d only made it a few steps away from the house when Anya flew out the same window, landing heavily on her back. She coughed, and blood bubbled from between her lips.

“Jesus – Anya...”

“Leave me,” Anya whispered. “Just go.”

“Like hell.” Dawn picked the fallen girl up and supported her with one arm, limping down the street as fast as she could manage. She reached the intersection at the end of the block and looked behind them. There was no sign of Chaos, but she wasn’t about to stop. She started to turn left, but Anya tightened her grip.

“Right. Go right – head for the Bronze.”

“The...why?”

“Crowded. I...oh...” she moaned.

“What’s wrong?”

“I think he broke a few ribs. Might be a bit of bleeding inside, too. Kinda tickles a bit.”

“You fought him off, though!” Dawn turned right and they continued their slow escape.

“No,” Anya laughed, wincing. “I never touched him. This,” she gestured at herself with her free hand, “was a warning shot. Just one.”

“But if you didn’t stop him – why isn’t he following us?”

“I don’t know. Let’s not stop and chat about it, though.” They staggered to the Bronze in silence punctuated only by Anya’s gasps as her broken ribs shifted. They paid the bored-looking bouncer with cash that Dawn had in the pocket of her jeans and found a seat in the back, where it was darkest.

Dawn pulled out her mobile and called Buffy. The call went directly to voicemail. “Buffy – it’s Dawn. Chaos is here, if that means anything to you. He was at the house – he attacked Anya, and she’s hurt. We’re at the Bronze – I don’t know how long we can stay, though, I don’t know if he’s followed us. Call me soon, okay?” She hung up as a waitress approached the table.

“Can I, uh...” she hesitated as she looked at Anya, “get you guys anything?”

“Whiskey,” Anya rasped. “The good stuff.”

“I’ll need to see some-“

“There’s a fifty-dollar tip in it for you if you just go get it,” Dawn said quietly, and the waitress was gone in a flash. Dawn leaned across the seat to whisper in Anya’s ear over the din of the music. “Are you okay? I think we should go to the hospital.”

“I’ll live,” Anya whispered through chattering teeth. “I don’t want to go anywhere until we hear from Buffy.”

“And what do we do if he shows up here in the meantime?”

“We run,” Anya said seriously. “As fast as we can, as far as we can. Whatever he wants you for, it’s not good, and I obviously can’t protect you.” She coughed, and gasped in pain.

“Aren’t you all magic-ed up? Can’t you heal yourself?”

Anya chortled. “Doesn’t work like that. I can’t use magic on myself.”

“Why?”

“I dunno, Dawnie – it’s just one of those things. I’m sure there’s a good reason, but hell if I know what it is.” The waitress returned with the glass of whisky, and Dawn made good on her offer of a fifty-dollar tip. It was pocketed with a grin, and the waitress vanished again. Anya raised the glass and took a long sip. “Oh, that’s the ticket,” she sighed. “There’s no problem that can’t be solved by whisky.”

“Even a hangover?” Dawn asked with a raised eyebrow.

Especially a hangover,” Anya nodded solemnly. They burst out giggling at the same time – and it was, of course, in that moment that the door of the Bronze opened and Chaos strode inside. Anya could sense his presence before he saw them, and they ducked out the back door – oblivious to the fact that Dawn’s phone was still lying on the table where they’d left it.

“Now I’m mad,” Anya whispered as she staggered down the alley. “Breaking my ribs is one thing, but I wasn’t done with that whisky.”

Last edited by Tarafied4Life on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 9/24/2009)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:07 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
Ah, where to start with this awesome update...

Quote:
That we’ll never be apart again. There’s going to be no more leaving me behind, no more hiding, no more secrets. Whatever comes at us from here on, we face it together.

Hell yea. They're all married with a kid and two more on the way, togetherness is totally how it should be.

Quote:
That colour is awful – I know you were going all emo, but you could have at least picked a nice black instead of ‘inky number seven.

:rofl Ha. That was hilarious.

Quote:
“I’ve missed having you to babble to. Now eat up – you’re too skinny! My Tara has lots of lovely curves, and I want them back.”

Aww, that was adorable. And Tara does have lovely curves. Lovely, yummy curves.

I'm glad they were able to talk it out. And kiss it out. Kissing it out is always of the good.

Quote:
“Now I’m mad,” Anya whispered as she staggered down the alley, “Breaking my ribs is one thing, but I wasn’t done with that whisky.”

Ha. That could've been ex-demon Anya as well as child of magic Anya (okay, there has to be a shorter way to differentiate them...)

I do not like this Chaos :shy but then again, what's a scoobie without an apocalypse to avert?

Oh, sidebar, normally I'm not all about Buffy/Faith pairings (I tend not to be able to believe a couple unless I really saw them on the show) but I like them here. I think it's realistic and it works, I can see them being together and I can see the problems they're having as being realistic as well.

Oh and Giles does need to get over it. Faith's hot tempered. Always has been, always will be.

Thanks for continuing the story and eagerly waiting the next update.

PS, I offically request more kissing time, apocalypse or no. There's always time for hot wicca-on-wicca smoochies.

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:38 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

I do in fact remember this and have just read the entire thing in the last 24 hours to catch up. It's still as wonderful as I remember and I very much hope it gets finished this time. Lovely that you're back, yay!

writerfreak :flower

Soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:57 am 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

I can't believe I missed this at the beginning, it's brilliant. I love the way you write, Heather, I always have.

There's a line near the beginning that will stay with me forever: Do you know what it was like for me, visiting some stupid stone and knowing you were only six feet away from me, and I couldn’t hold you? :cry

The part where Spike says that Dawn's the only one of the lot of them that he's actually afraid of... : :lol

the part where Angel and Spike "discuss the ethics of beating up one's daughter" with Tara's father... :mad

The part where Faith finds Buffy because of "Slayer intuition. That, and when I called before I left Rome, Dawn said you were going to Portland." And then her very Faith-like admission that she was being stupid, but they" shouldn't make a federal case out of it"...:lol

The bit where Faith called Angel a "fangy smurf" and Buffy invited them both to pee on her leg to mark their territory better...:lol

The line "There’s going to be no more leaving me behind, no more hiding, no more secrets. Whatever comes at us from here on, we face it together. Because otherwise, this...us...it doesn’t mean anything. You told me a long time ago that being in a relationship means I don’t get to decide what’s best for us. Do you remember?...it works the other way too” so beautifully meshes dialogue I remember and dialogue you've written...it's seamless, and so very true to their characters.

I always reckon that's the sign of good fanfic - rather than just good fic - if you can hear the dialogue with the right voices in your head. See, now I sound mad, but I hope you know what I mean? Sometimes you could put anyone's name in and it wouldn't make any difference, but this feels like I saw it on the show once, but can't remember the exact episode....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:43 pm 
5. Willowhand

Time for another update! But feedback first...

Laragh wrote:
Ah, where to start with this awesome update...

Hell yea. They're all married with a kid and two more on the way, togetherness is totally how it should be.

Definitely - we've seen what happens what they're on their own, and it doesn't lead to good things!

Quote:
:rofl Ha. That was hilarious.

Thank you! I'm glad you liked!

Quote:
Aww, that was adorable. And Tara does have lovely curves. Lovely, yummy curves.

She truly does - curvy Tara is a wonderful thing!

Quote:
Ha. That could've been ex-demon Anya as well as child of magic Anya (okay, there has to be a shorter way to differentiate them...)

There really must be...the younger Anya could be called C.O.M.A (Child of Magic Anya), I guess, but somehow that doesn't sound right!

Quote:
I do not like this Chaos but then again, what's a scoobie without an apocalypse to avert?

Exactly! And this has the potential to be the last apocalypse, which is a plus!

Quote:
normally I'm not all about Buffy/Faith pairings...but I like them here. I think it's realistic and it works, I can see them being together and I can see the problems they're having as being realistic as well.

Thank you! I really enjoy them as a couple, and I'm really very glad I could make them realistic, and not just thrown together.

Quote:
PS, I offically request more kissing time, apocalypse or no. There's always time for hot wicca-on-wicca smoochies.

Your wish is my command! Not in this update, but very soon!

writerfreak wrote:
I do in fact remember this and have just read the entire thing in the last 24 hours to catch up. It's still as wonderful as I remember and I very much hope it gets finished this time. Lovely that you're back, yay!

I'm so glad you remember it! And I'm really very glad you're still enjoying the tale. I think it'll be finished this time, for sure - I've got almost all of it mapped out now. And thank you for the welcome back!

candleshoe wrote:
I can't believe I missed this at the beginning, it's brilliant.

Flatterer! Thank you, though! I'd put a hugging smiley in, but I can't find one!

Quote:
There's a line near the beginning that will stay with me forever: Do you know what it was like for me, visiting some stupid stone and knowing you were only six feet away from me, and I couldn’t hold you?

I think that may have been the line that started the story for me, so I'm glad that it was as good as it sounded in my head.

Quote:
the part where Angel and Spike "discuss the ethics of beating up one's daughter" with Tara's father...

I always thought it was unfortunate that he was never dealt with on the show, personally, so I really wanted to write that...

Quote:
I always reckon that's the sign of good fanfic - rather than just good fic - if you can hear the dialogue with the right voices in your head...Sometimes you could put anyone's name in and it wouldn't make any difference, but this feels like I saw it on the show once, but can't remember the exact episode....

You really do flatter me too much! I do know what you mean, and if my little tale does read that way, that's about the highest compliment I could be paid! *hugs*

Last edited by Tarafied4Life on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:46 pm 
5. Willowhand

And now, the update!

Chapter 12 – The Incredibly True Adventures...

“Opening cell three!” the guard called, and the thick plastic door of the cell slid open. Giles stepped forward, but stopped as the guard put a hand on his shoulder and muttered quietly. “We have standing orders on what to do if you show up here. The cameras are off, and there’ll be no one on the block for the next fifteen minutes. Do what you need to do.” He let Giles step forward and shut the door behind him.

“Ethan.”

“Ripper! Just when I thought this day might be dull. What can I do for you?”

“You know why I’m here.”

“You’re organising a five-a-side, and you’re short a man?” Giles punched him in the stomach, and he crumpled to the floor. “You’re wondering whether I can believe it’s not butter?” Giles kicked him, hard, in the kidneys. “You need a link to those pictures of Britney getting out of the car without her knickers?” Another kick.

Giles pinched the bridge of his nose. “I can do this all day, Ethan, but my leg would get tired. Why don’t we just cut to the chase?”

“No,” Ethan groaned, getting back to his feet. “Let’s not. You see, Ripper, whether I tell you what you want to know or not, I’ll still be stuck in this hole in the ground. So where’s the benefit?”

“If you tell me, you’ll be in a lot less pain.”

“Pain heals. Up the ante a bit, Rupert.”

“What do you want?”

“I want out. I want to see the sky, to eat takeaway, and ride the tube.”

“You can’t seriously expect me to just release you.”

“Well, it’s that, or you can keep kicking me. I know what’ll get you your answers faster, though.”

Giles hesitated. “I’ll make you a deal.”

“I’m all ears.”

“Tell me what I need to know. When it’s over, I’ll have them release you – you’ll still be supervised, but you’ll see the sky. But know this – if we release you, and our paths cross ever again, I will have you hunted down. And when you’re caught, we won’t bother with prison again.”

Ethan sat silently for a long minute. “Very well.”

“Tell me about Chaos.”

[hr]

“God,” Buffy exclaimed as she hung up. “Apparently you can’t fly directly from Portland to anywhere. We’re booked on a flight from here to L.A. tomorrow morning, and then we catch another one into Sunnydale.”

“Tomorrow morning?”

“Every other flight into L.A. is full, they tell me,” Buffy rolled her eyes. Her phone beeped to indicate a voicemail. “Is that Giles already? Ethan must have caved in faster than usual.” She dialled in and listened, and the blood drained from her face.

“B? What’s wrong?”

Buffy didn’t answer, just hung up and frantically dialled. “Come on,” she whispered. “Pick up, pick up, pick up! Dawn it’s me – I got your message, call me right back!” She snapped the phone shut. “Come on, Faith – we’ve got a problem.” She took her hand and ran down the hall toward Willow and Tara’s room. They burst in on the two witches, who were sharing the hospital food.

“Buffy!” Tara exclaimed. “You scared t-ten years out of me!”

“Something’s come up,” Buffy opened her phone and put it on speaker. She played Dawn’s voicemail. “I called,” she said when the message was done, “but no answer.”

“Fuck!” Faith exclaimed. “Then how-“

“I can find them,” Willow said calmly. “I used to talk to Anya like this when she was a baby – hopefully it still works.” She closed her eyes and focussed as hard as she could. “Anya,” she called out with her mind. “Can you hear me?”

The response was like a burst of static. There were two more responses like the first, and then finally the words came in clear, as if the tuning dial on a radio had found a station. “Mama? I’d forgotten you could do this.”

“Where are you, baby? Are you okay?”

“Yeah – he broke a few ribs, but nothing too serious. We’re doubling back to the house.”

Willow’s brow furrowed. “Why?”

“We need the car. And some money.”

“You don’t have a license – does Dawn?”

“No. But we’ll manage. We need to run, and we’re not going to make it fast enough on foot.”

“Okay, just...be careful. Follow the rules of the road – getting pulled over would be bad. And make sure you go to the hospital if you need to.”

“Nag, nag, nag.”

“Oh, and take the cash from my closet – it’s in the shoebox on the left hand side.”

“Gotcha. Don’t worry about us – he wants Dawn for something, so we’re going to keep running, keep her out of his reach. You guys do what you need to do to stop him, and we’ll meet up when it’s over. I love you – tell Mom. And Dawn sends her love to Buffy. Oh, and she says to call Faith and see if she’ll come and help you guys – even if she is a...well, I can’t repeat that.”

“Wait...what?”

“Call me again in a day or two, okay, Mama? I don’t know how to start one of these links, so you’ll have to. Gotta go now!”

She was gone, and Willow slumped. “It’s really hard to make long distance calls that way. They’re okay, though – Anya has a couple of cracked ribs, but they’re getting the car from the house and they’re going to make a run for it. Apparently Chaos wants Dawn for something,” she looked at Buffy.

“Giles better have answers quickly,” she muttered.

I didn’t have time to tell her what we know, but I’m supposed to try again in a day or two. Oh – and...this...doesn’t make sense, but Dawn said we should call Faith and see if she can come and help.”

Three sets of eyes found Faith. “What? I just talked to her – that’s how I found you at the hospital!”

Buffy looked doubtfully at her. “B, I swear – this is me. I called your house, and I talked to her! I...what the hell can I even say? I can show you my phone, show you the outgoing call! So if I didn’t talk to her, who the hell did I talk to?”

“It’s a good question,” Buffy sighed. “But I haven’t seen you do anything that’d make me think you’re not you, so we’ll figure it out later. We’ve got tickets to California for tomorrow morning – that was the earliest I could manage.”

“That’s okay,” Tara assured her. “W-we’ll have to do some paperwork to g-get Willow released, so that gives us a b-bit more time. And the girls will be okay – they’re too s-smart to get caught.”

“I’ll go grab a doctor,” Buffy said, and left the room. Faith followed on her heels.”

“Our baby girl,” Willow whispered. Tara gave her hand a hard squeeze. “She’ll be okay, Willow – she’s got y-your brains.”

“And your heart,” Willow smiled at her. “We need to get home, though – I’m feeling the need for some serious research.”

[hr]

“Don’t worry,” Dawn assured Anya as they climbed into the black SUV. “I drive really well – in theory.”

“Well,” Anya smirked, “I wasn’t worried before...”

“Hilarious – do you wanna try it, Ms. Broken Ribs?”

“No,” she looked contrite, except for the glint in her eyes. “Could we get some ice cream before you drop me off at school, mom?”

“You’re a brat – and I say that with authority, because I was a massive brat.”

“I know – I saw it all, remember?” Anya grinned. “And what do you mean, ‘was?’”

“Keep it up, I’ll leave you at the side of the road.”

“I’ll be good,” Anya promised. “Where are we going?”

“Vegas. Millions of tourists, lots of places to hide.”

“Fantastic – I’ll double our money, and then we should be able to stay in some nice hotels.”

“You’re not old enough to gamble – you’re not even old enough for them to let you on the casino floor!”

“Let me worry about that,” Anya sighed as she slumped against her seat. “I’ll handle everything.”

[hr]

With the mounds of paperwork finally complete, Willow dressed and followed Tara downstairs. She climbed in the front seat of a taxi that Buffy had hailed out front, while the others piled into the back.

“Where to?” asked the taxi driver.

“Is there a hotel near the airport?” Buffy asked.

“A whole bunch – any preference?”

“Whatever’s nicest.”

“Gotcha,” he nodded, and drove off.

“So,” Buffy said to Willow, keeping her voice carefully neutral, “Anya didn’t mention where they were going on their road trip?”

“Nah,” Willow replied easily, “you know how teenagers are. Probably figured we’d follow them, or something.”

“Right. Wouldn’t want us causing Chaos.”

“Exactly. They’re going to check in, though, so we don’t worry about them. And it sounds like Dawn’s just fine – Anya’s looking out for her.”

Every sentence was thick with double meanings, and it was a relief when they arrived at the hotel and rented two rooms, meeting in Willow and Tara’s. “What,” Buffy asked, settling on the room’s couch, “do we know about Chaos?”

“Almost nothing,” Willow admitted. “It…or, he I guess, is a lower being. Something like D’Hoffryn, but with a lot more power.”

“M-mom always told me Chaos could grant p-power to people – but that it’s, um, unreliable.” Tara frowned. “That really w-wasn’t helpful at all – sorry.”

“No, it’s okay,” Buffy assured her. “Any little thing could be useful. Do we know what he’d want Dawn for? Any guesses?”

“Isn’t the brat all mystical-like?” Faith piped up from one of the beds.

“Giles was sure that when Glory’s portal closed, her Key..ness was finished, ‘cause there was nothing left for her to unlock.”

“Well, G-man’s been wrong before.”

“W-Well,” Tara bit her lip. “Maybe…”

“What is it, baby?”

“The s-spell. It burned out m-my power when I cast it the first time. Maybe D-Dawn could act as a focus. That’s j-just a guess, though.”

“So he’d need her to help reverse what you did, Tara?”

“It makes sense,” mused Willow. “Dawn’s power was to open dimensional portals, which is essentially what Chaos is trying to do.”

“And I assume,” Buffy sighed, “that using her like that would kill her, because that’s how this always seems to go.”

“Y-yes.”

“Okay, so we know he needs three things: Tara, the Scythe, and Dawn. We know what he wants them for, and what he’ll do if he gets them. Now, the million-dollar question: what do we know about stopping him?” The room was silent. “Terrific. Okay, I’ll tell you what – Willow and Tara, you guys can head out if you want. I know you had a few things you wanted to do before we left Portland, and there’s no sense all of us waiting here for Giles to call. Faith and I’ll hang out.”

“Are you sure, Buff? We don’t mind staying with you.”

“No, honestly – go ahead. Faith and I need to have a talk, I think.”

Tara lowered her voice. “T-Take it easy on her, Buffy, okay? She…she f-feels like her. I don’t understand how she didn’t talk to D-Dawn, but I’m sure that she’s Faith.”

“I’m sure she is – but we have a lot to talk about anyway. Go ahead, okay?”

“Okay,” Willow braced her back with one hand and got up, Tara rising in tandem with her. They left the room quietly, closing the door on Buffy as she stared at Faith.
[hr]

More soon, hopefully!

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 9/28/2009)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:11 pm 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

Oooh, cliffhangers all over the shop!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:51 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Yay! Update!

Quote:
“You’re organising a five-a-side, and you’re short a man?”

I know it's Ethan and he's a dumbass and I hate him, but still, ha.

Quote:
“Our baby girl,” Willow whispered. Tara gave her hand a hard squeeze. “She’ll be okay, Willow – she’s got y-your brains.”

“And your heart,” Willow smiled at her.

That was so cute I think my heart my have just turned into cotton candy for a second.

Quote:
Every sentence was thick with double meanings

I love double meanings. I mean, normally more of the sexy variety, but still fun. It's like double-words games!

Ooh, what's going on with this Faith business? You leave me intrigued...
And I shall be holding you up to that promise of smoochies!!!

Eagerly awaiting more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:40 pm 
5. Willowhand

candleshoe wrote:
Oooh, cliffhangers all over the shop!

Yep - as you may have noticed, I'm partial to the cliffhangers...

Laragh wrote:
Yay! Update!

Well, I like that reaction!

Quote:
I know it's Ethan and he's a dumbass and I hate him, but still, ha.

That was always the best part of Ethan, to me - his sense of humour, and his smartass-ness.

Quote:
That was so cute I think my heart my have just turned into cotton candy for a second.

So it was a good Willow and Tara moment, then? That is, after all, what our girls do!

Quote:
Ooh, what's going on with this Faith business? You leave me intrigued...
And I shall be holding you up to that promise of smoochies!!!

There will definitely be answers, and there will definitely be smoochies - not yet, though, 'cos I'm evil!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:45 pm 
5. Willowhand

Chapter 13 – Through the Fire
Author’s Note: Apologies in advance for a very dialogue-happy chapter (“when do you write non-dialogue happy chapters?” asks the chorus). The action-y stuff is coming, I promise!

“Oh my,” exclaimed the hairdresser, running a hand through Tara’s black locks. His name was Todd, and he was spectacularly camp. “Honey, this is just not right at all. Who did this to you?”

“I d-did,” Tara admitted with a blush.

“Wow, you must have been really mad at yourself for something!” he laughed. “It’s a good thing your girlfriend-“

“Wife,” Willow interrupted.

“Wife is very accommodating, ‘cause if you someone I loved came home with hair like that I might have to disown them! What’s your natural color?”

“B-Blonde.”

He clapped a hand to his forehead and sighed. “A lovely blonde, and you do this? Silly, silly girl. I tell you what,” he said thoughtfully, “we cut first. Then we’ll work on getting the color out. We’re going to have to cut it short, I think – very short. Is that a problem?”

“No,” Willow and Tara replied at the same time, and grinned at each other. “No,” Tara confirmed.

“Excellent – then let’s begin!”

[hr]

The door had barely closed behind the two witches when Buffy began to cry. Faith jumped up from the couch, but Buffy waved her away. After a moment the tears slowed, and she wiped them away with her hand. “Sorry,” she murmured.

“What’s wrong, B?”

“It’s just...” she gestured to the couch, and Faith sat down. Buffy sat on the end of the bed across from her, her hands folded in her lap and shaking slightly. “This talk. I only want to have it once, and once we have it there’s no going back.”

Faith chewed her bottom lip, waiting.

“I’ve told you, back at the hospital, what my vision of our future is. But I need to know – what’s yours?”

Faith exhaled and settled back against the couch. “B, I’m no good at this kinda stuff.”

“Faith – I need an answer. I don’t want evasions or half-truths, I want to know.”

“Fuck...” Faith whispered, more to herself than to Buffy. “I...I want the kind of future you talked about. I want...hell, I don’t know. My life, B, there’s never been a minute of it where I really thought about the future. When I was a kid, I was more concerned with whether mom had been drinking that day, or where the next meal was coming from. Then there was slaying – I didn’t need to think ahead, that’s what Watchers were for. Even in Rome, it was simple – train the potentials, slay the occasional demon, occasionally do the dishes. But...” she sighed. “But then I fell in love with you.”

Buffy’s eyes shone. “And ever since then, I...I’ve had these thoughts. The kinda things I never thought about, ever. And there’s always been another apocalypse to distract me, you know? And, I’ll admit, I been happy about that sometimes. ‘cause it meant I didn’t have to think those thoughts. Or think what they meant, you know? You know how much it’ll pain me to say this...but I’m scared, B. Shitting-my-pants and running for the hills scared.”

Buffy reached across the gulf between them and took her hand. “Why? Why scared?”

“Because...I’ve never thought I had a future, B. Just the next moment.”

“And now?”

“Now...now I see this future, and I see me getting old with you and raising a family and being together forever, and there’s this voice in my head that keeps saying ‘it’ll never happen. She’ll wise up sooner or later, and leave your ass in the dust.’ And if that happened, if I lost this now that I have it, I don’t know what I’d do – this past month that I’ve spent without you was bad enough. I think I’d just curl up and die, B, I swear.” Tears dripped slowly from her eyes and trickled down her cheeks.

“Faith...” Buffy started to get up, but Faith’s gentle squeeze of her hand stopped her movement.

“Not yet – I got one more thing I need to say, B. I’ve been waiting – ever since I found you at the hospital, I’ve been lookin’ for the right moment. And I’m sure I’m picking the wrong one, but this is the one I’m pickin’ anyway.” Faith released Buffy’s hand and stood up, rooting in the pocket of her jeans. “It’s not much,” she said, her face red, “but it’s the only thing of my grandma’s that I didn’t pawn and mom didn’t take, and...oh, fuck it anyhow,” she pulled a small ring from her pocket and sank to her knees, where she thrust her hand in Buffy’s direction. “Buffy Summers – will you marry me?”

And at that exact second, Buffy’s phone began to ring.

[hr]

Spike sat down quietly on the barstool next to Angel’s. He signalled the bartender. “I’ll have what he’s having.”

“Oh, fantastic – two tonic water drinkers. The tips will be rolling in today,” he muttered, filling a glass and sliding it down the bar to Spike.

“What do you want, Spike? I thought you’d be at the hospital.”

“I slipped away once they started talking plans and strategy. I figured you might need an ear to bend.”

“I don’t. Thanks.”

“Listen, mate – we’ve been here before, you and I. Talking about how she doesn’t want you, or me. Hell, Andrew saw things clearer than we do, and he’s...” Spike made vague gestures with one hand. “A bit different. So you and I, we really should be able to get this through our heads.”

“Yeah. We really should. And yet somehow, I keep ending up here. I even took a swing at Faith today.”

“You what? You’re lucky she didn’t swing back, or they’d be using the bloody jaws of life to pull you out of the wall.”

“I know. I think it’d be best – when this is over – if I stayed away from Buffy for a while. I’m at my worst around her, and she deserves better.”

“Lookin’ for a travelling companion?”

“You? Why would you leave?”

“Someone’s got to keep you out of trouble.”

“What about you and Anya?” Angel raised an eyebrow.

“That was a mistake. One that’s not going to be repeated. She’s just a kid – she’s got a lot of life to live yet, and I’d want her to experience it with someone her own age.”

“Technically-“

“Technically, I’m a hundred and some years old. I’ve lived lifetimes, Angel – it’s made me tired and cynical. I want her to have better.”

“Think she’ll accept that?”

“Don’t plan on offering a choice.”

“So – just you and me, then. Like old times.”

“Just like. Well, except for the drinking blood and killing nuns.”

“Except for that.”

[hr]

“Coming up on Bakersfield,” Dawn announced. “Do we need to stop for anything?”

“I need a coffee, I think,” Anya replied, rubbing at her eyes. “Turns out getting the shit kicked out of you by a lower being makes you sort of sleepy.”

“You didn’t-“ Dawn protested.

“Yeah, I did. But it’s okay – next time I’ll be ready. Anyway, we don’t have to stop unless you want something.”

“Yeah, I could go for a coffee too. Might as well gas up the car while we’re here.” Checking behind her, Dawn signalled and moved onto the exit ramp. She found a coffee and doughnut shop and pulled in. “You wait here,” Dawn told Anya as she reached over to release her safety belt. “I’ll grab you something – what do you take in your coffee?”

“Two sugars and a bit of cream.”

“And did you want any coffee with that?”

“Quiet, you.”

Giggling, Dawn got out of the car and went into the shop. Anya released her own seat belt and opened her door. She stood gingerly and tried to stretch, only to cut the motion short when a sharp pain nearly doubled her over. “Shit,” she muttered, leaning back against the SUV. She drew in a few short breaths and twisted one way and the other, looking for a position that would make the pain stop. She found one at last, but when she looked up Dawn was standing there, coffee and doughnuts in hand.

“We’re going to the hospital,” she announced.

“I’m fine,” Anya insisted. “Staying in one place is a bad idea.”

“You’re fine? Okay, then.” Dawn held one coffee just over Anya’s head. “Reach up and take this.”

“No problem.” Anya reached up with one hand, but had only raised it as high as her shoulders when she cried out quietly, her face ashen.

“Hospital. Now. Come on – I’ll help you get in the car.”

“Fine,” Anya whispered.

[hr]

“Buffy-“

“Wait, wait – just a sec.” She pulled her mobile out and flipped it open. “Dawn?” She listened. “Giles. I’ll call you back, okay? Yeah, yeah – world in peril, grave danger, useful info, I get all that – I’ll call you back,” she closed the phone, picked it up again and turned it off, then threw it on the bed behind her. She turned her full attention back to Faith.

“Faith, I...”

The outstretched hand with the ring in it wavered. “It’s no, isn’t it? I don’t blame you, B. And I promise I’ll stay with you, even if I can’t be with you.”

“Faith, let me talk. I can’t answer you if you keep talking.” Buffy took a breath. “Yes.”

“What?”

“Yes. Yes, I’ll marry you.” Faith gaped at her, open-mouthed. “This is the part,” Buffy prodded her gently, “where you put that ring on my finger.”

Faith shook herself and did just that, sliding the antique piece of jewellery into place. She looked up, still speechless. Buffy got up and knelt down in front of Faith, leaving them at eye level. “I love you very much, Faith. I want to grow old with you. So old that maybe one day you call me by my name instead of just B,” she grinned, her eyes clouded by tears. Faith still couldn’t find words, so Buffy pulled her close and kissed her soundly.

When she pulled away, Faith touched her fingers gently to her lips. “I...B...”

“I know. Come and lay with me for a while, will you? I really need to be touching every bit of you right now, but after the last few days I think we could both use a nap.” Faith let herself be pulled up and led to the bed. She followed Buffy’s lead and disrobed, crawling into the hotel bed beside her. Buffy took her in her arms and they fell quickly asleep.

And just as suddenly, they were back in Buffy’s old bedroom. They stared across the freshly-made bed at each other.

“It’s been a while since we had one of these talks.”

Faith looked around. “The clock’s broken.” Buffy followed her gaze, and saw that her small digital clock was blinking four zeroes.

“It’s not broken,” a voice corrected. “Time is up.” Buffy turned so sharply on her heel that she nearly fell.

“Mom?”
[hr]
See? Another cliffhanger! Eeeeeeeevil! :kdevil

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 9/29/2009)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:13 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Yay for fabulousness.

Quote:
and he was spectacularly camp.

I love campiness. The louder and more dramatic the better. Therefore, apart from Willow and Tara (and COMAnya by assosiation) Todd is my new favourite character.

Quote:
"It’s a good thing your girlfriend-“

“Wife,” Willow interrupted.

Very important distinction. Glad Willow corrected.

Quote:
“What about you and Anya?” Angel raised an eyebrow.

“That was a mistake. One that’s not going to be repeated. She’s just a kid – she’s got a lot of life to live yet, and I’d want her to experience it with someone her own age.”

Good. Quite frankly it weirded me out. And Willow would not have been pleased :shy

Quote:
“It’s been a while since we had one of these talks.”

Faith looked around. “The clock’s broken.” Buffy followed her gaze, and saw that her small digital clock was blinking four zeroes.

“It’s not broken,” a voice corrected. “Time is up.” Buffy turned so sharply on her heel that she nearly fell.

“Mom?”

Well colour me confused! What in all the hells is happening now?

And wow, slayer engagement. Cool. Even in my non-liking-of-them-as-a-couple-generally, it's still cool. Long as they don't take the limelight off W/T.

Speaking of, not nearly enough of them in this chapter, missy!!

And I am still waiting on those smoochies you promised, you evil...writer you. ;-)

I'm trying to imagine Tara's hair short and it's just not coming (heh. coming. I know, i'm a child, but still. heh) to mind. I'm gonna focus on it a bit more and see what happens. How short are we talking here? Like Rachel Maddow short or Sinead O Connor short? Or a whole other ball game?

Looking forward to another chapter ( with the smoochies...)

Hope it's as quick as this one too!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:54 pm 
5. Willowhand

Laragh wrote:
Todd is my new favourite character.

Well, I'm not sure we'll see him again, but anything's possible!

Quote:
Good. Quite frankly it weirded me out. And Willow would not have been pleased

No, she really wouldn't have been! Fortunately, the Spike/Anya angle was never going to go very far!

Quote:
Well colour me confused! What in all the hells is happening now?

Answers soon...ish.

Quote:
And wow, slayer engagement. Cool. Even in my non-liking-of-them-as-a-couple-generally, it's still cool.

I'm glad it came across well! I really did want that as a major event in this tale, so I'm happy that even though you're not a big fan of them as a couple, it was still cool!

Quote:
Speaking of, not nearly enough of them in this chapter, missy!!

And I am still waiting on those smoochies you promised, you evil...writer you.

Well, there's more of them in this chapter, and even more in the next, I promise! And there's...almost smoochies in this one...

Quote:
I'm trying to imagine Tara's hair short and it's just not coming (heh. coming. I know, i'm a child, but still. heh) to mind.

That's okay, that was my first thought, too!

Quote:
I'm gonna focus on it a bit more and see what happens. How short are we talking here?

I'd say a bit shorter than the Rachel Maddow look - just a bit.

Quote:
Looking forward to another chapter ( with the smoochies...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:03 pm 
5. Willowhand

Chapter 14 – See What Remains
Rating: R for almost-smut! (it’ll make sense when you get there)

“You look gorgeous, baby.”

“Not too short?” Tara fiddled nervously with her hair.

“Perfect. And blonde, just the way it should be.” Willow grinned and leaned in to kiss her on the cheek.

“So...we’ve got until the m-morning. What do you want to do?”

Willow grinned slyly. “A bunch of hours with you all to myself...let me think, what could we do...how about, we go back to the hotel, and I...” she leaned over and whispered in Tara’s ear. Tara turned beet red.

“I, uhm, yeah – yeah, that’s...taxi!” she shouted suddenly, waving her arms.

[hr]

“Did you know Brad and Jennifer might break up?” Anya held up an ancient People magazine. “I’m riveted, personally.”

“You’re such a baby. Do you want something from the gift shop? I’m sure they have some newer magazines.”

“No, it’s fine,” Anya sighed.

“Anya Smith?” called the desk nurse. Dawn helped her to her feet and followed closely behind her as she walked gingerly to the room the nurse pointed at. The wait once they were inside was surprisingly short, and the doctor who came in surprisingly friendly.

“So, Miss Smith – what can I do for you?”

“I’ve, uh...got a couple of broken ribs, I think, and I was wondering what I could do about them.”

“You think you’ve got a couple of broken ribs? And just how do you think you might have got them? Lift your shirt for me,” he added, and she bunched it just under her breasts. He prodded at her ribs while she searched for an answer.

“Uh...I fell. Ow!” she cried as he poked a sore spot.

“We’ll need an x-ray, of course, but I can feel at least two breaks. I’m only going to get you an x-ray if you’ll tell me how this really happened, though.”

Dawn could see the wheels turning in Anya’s head. She was completely taken aback, though, when she suddenly began to cry.

“Boyfriend,” Anya whispered.

“He hit you?”

“Yes,” she looked over the doctor’s head at Dawn and winked.

“You’ll be pressing charges, I hope?”

“No,” she whispered. “I just...we’ve left him way behind us now, and I don’t want to have to see him again.”

The doctor sighed. “I hope you’ll reconsider. But for now, let’s get you down to the x-ray room. It’s in the other wing – can you walk, or would you rather I go and get you a wheelchair?”

“Um...” Anya bit her lip. “Maybe a chair.”

“That’s fine. Wait here, I’ll be right back.” He left, closing the door behind him. Dawn scoffed.

“Boyfriend?”

“What was I supposed to say? It’s obviously an impact injury and I’m not dressed like I just played a football game, so he wasn’t going to accept an innocent explanation. My only other option was telling him that a lower being tossed me out a window.”

“I guess.”

Anya’s head snapped up. “Something’s wrong. I can feel...he’s here! Fuck!” she stood up quickly, hissing at the pain in her chest.

“Who-“ Dawn’s mind caught up with her mouth. “How? How could he be here already?”

“He’s – how did you put it at the Bronze – all magic-ed up, like me, but more so. Quick – get me a chair, there’s got to be one close. I can’t run fast enough to get back to the car.” Dawn opened the door and, seeing no one, ran across the hall into a storage room and found a wheelchair. With another cautious glance down the hall, she ran back into the exam room and helped Anya into it. She took the handles and guided the chair out into the hall.

“Hey,” they heard the voice of the desk nurse shout. “You can’t just-“ there was a short scream and a muffled thud, and suddenly there were dozens of screams from the waiting room. Anya pointed in the opposite direction, and Dawn walked quickly but quietly that way, pushing Anya in front of her. They rounded the corner to find several hospital staff huddled in the shadows.

“Go,” Anya hissed at them. “Back door – there is one, right? Even if it’s just a delivery entrance?”

One of the doctors pointed. “Down there.”

“Then get going! Hiding back here isn’t going to save you.” They got up and shuffled single-file toward the door, Dawn and Anya behind them. The staff had just cleared the door when it slammed shut. Dawn pulled frantically at it, but it wouldn’t budge.

“Might as well come out, Anya,” a mocking voice called. Anya pointed at the door. “Dispel,” she whispered. The voice laughed. “Do you think this is a game, child? I have waited eons for this chance. I will be the first of many, the ascendant pinnacle of the lower beings. Your simple magic has no power over mine. Come out now, give me the Key, and I may be tempted to keep you alive. You would make a fine slave.”

Anya muttered in Latin, and then in Sumerian, but the door still stubbornly refused to budge. “We need to go, Dawn – there’s got to be another door. Even a window...” she thought for a minute, “yeah – head for a patient room. Most of them have windows.”

“And how are you going to climb out a window?” Dawn snapped. “You can barely walk!”

“I’ll manage. It’ll hurt a lot, but it’s going to hurt a lot more if we get caught.”

They found one at the end of the hall, and Dawn tried the window. It was held as firmly shut as the door. “Fantastic. Now what?”

“Big difference between a door and a window, Dawnie – the window’s made of glass.” Dawn grinned and grabbed a chair from beside the bed. With all the force she could muster, she swung it at the window. The glass shattered impressively, and she used the chair to sweep away all the jagged edges she could see. “You first,” she told Anya. “I’ll help you up.”

“No,” Anya refused. “It’s you he’s after – I don’t want to be stuck outside if you can’t get out. Go, and then help me down once I get through.”

With no time to argue, Dawn acquiesced. She clambered through the small window and landed softly on the grass outside. “Okay – come on!”

Anya stood up slowly, trying to ignore the pain, and began to struggle through the empty window frame. She was halfway through when the room’s door burst open. “Clever,” Chaos said admiringly. “But not clever enough.”

llamarada,” Anya whispered with her eyes closed, and suddenly the room was lit up like a second sun. She pushed herself off the windowsill and into Dawn’s arms, and they limped toward the parking lot. They unlocked the car and drove off at double the speed limit, rejoining the interstate at the first ramp.

“What in the hell,” Dawn shouted, “happened in there? I thought someone had set off a nuclear bomb!”

“It was nothing,” Anya said, looking behind them. “Just a really bright light – a distraction. Magically, it looks like he’s way out of my league. So I just bought us a minute to get away.”

“And where are we going? If he can find us that fast, we’re not safe anywhere.”

“Just drive. We’ll come up with something.”

[hr]

After finding that the bed in their room was occupied by two sleeping (and very naked) slayers, Willow and Tara quietly slipped out and down the hall into the other room they’d paid for. With the door closed, locked and dead bolted behind them, they stared at each other in silence.

Tara reached out a hand, but let it tentatively fall before it made contact. Willow swallowed loudly.

“I-“

“We-“ They spoke at the same moment, and both flushed. “G-Go ahead,” Tara urged.

“This shouldn’t be so hard,” Willow said quietly.

“It’s m-my fault,” Tara said miserably.

“I warned you about that – no more sorry.” She sighed. “Look, maybe-“ and then Tara was on her, her lips warm and inviting. Willow moaned low in her throat, and her lips parted to allow Tara’s insistent tongue access. She met it with her own, and the kiss seemed to last an eternity. When they came up for air, there was no more uncertainty, no more hesitation. Willow pushed Tara roughly backward onto the bed and straddled her, reaching down for the hem of her t-shirt. Tara helped out, reaching toward the head of the bed and allowing the shirt to slide up her arms and over her head. She threw it aside, leaving her clad in a silky black bra. Willow cupped her breasts through it, and Tara gasped. Willow’s hands found the clasp and deftly released it.

“Thank the goddess that one opens in front,” she whispered huskily, “because I have no intention of letting you up anytime soon.” There was a knock at the door, and Buffy’s voice called “Willow? Tara? Are you in there?”

Willow groaned. “Do you think if we ignore her she’ll go away?” Tara shook her head, and reached up for a pillow. She put it over her face and groaned loudly into it. “That’s better,” she said, “I’m fine now. I’m g-going to kill her, but I’m fine.”

Willow clambered off, leaving Tara to get dressed. “We’re here, Buffy,” she called. “Just a sec.” Once Tara was presentable, she released the deadbolt and opened the door. Buffy took in the sight of them both – dishevelled and flushed – and turned red. “Shit – I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Tara assured her with a too-bright smile. “What’s up?”

“Well, not to sound all Martin Luther King-y, but I had a dream.”

[hr]

“Mom?”

“Hello, Buffy.”

“I...what...huh?”

“It’s good to see you too, sweetheart.”

Buffy ran to her then, embracing her as tightly as she could.

“It’s a good thing,” Joyce said idly, “that I’m not really corporeal, or I’d have broken bones now.”

“Oh! Sorry.” Buffy stepped back, and Faith stepped up beside her.

“Lookin’ good, Mrs. S.”

“Hello, Faith. It’s been a long time. I think the last time I saw you, you were holding me hostage.” Joyce smiled, taking the sting out of the words.

“Right...I never got a chance to apologise to you-“

“It’s in the past now, Faith. There are more important things happening right now.”

“Like,” Buffy said, “for instance, that clock? The last time I saw that it was counting down to...well, something unpleasant. What does it mean now that it’s flashing zeroes?”

Buffy paused in her recounting of the dream, watching the long, lingering looks between the two witches. “You know what? This can wait - why don’t you guys go and, uh...”

“Get groiny?” Faith suggested with a smirk. Buffy blushed and covered her face with her hands.

“Yes, that. We’ll go for a walk, call Giles back. I’ll finish telling you about the dream after, because you’re not going to hear a word of it.”

Tara got up and pulled Willow to her feet. “Let’s go,” she said, bouncing on the soles of her feet.

[hr]

The door had barely shut behind Tara before Willow slammed her firmly against it, kissing her hard as her hands roamed Tara’s body.

“Wait, wait,” gasped Tara. She reached behind her back and drew the deadbolt. “Okay, continue!” Their mouths crashed together again, Willow’s hands fumbling at the button of Tara’s jeans. It came undone suddenly and they slid down her legs as Willow pulled her toward the bed. Tara stumbled and stepped out of them, her mouth never leaving Willow’s. They landed in a tangled heap of limbs on the bed, and with the exception of a quick breath, the kiss went on. Tara pulled away first, but only to gently turn Willow’s head and lick a sensitive spot behind her earlobe. “Goddess!” Willow hissed. “Tara, please...”

“You d-don’t have to beg...at least not yet,” Tara’s hands found Willow’s skirt and couldn’t undo it, so she gave it a hard tug and the material tore away. She snaked a hand across warm skin and had a finger under the waistband of Willow’s panties when there was another knock at the door.

“Housekeeping,” a voice called. Tara slumped.

“Go away!” Willow yelled at the door. The housekeeper muttered something they couldn’t make out, and moved on to the next room. Sighing loudly, Willow looked up into Tara’s eyes. “This just isn’t destined to be, is it?”

“D-Doesn’t seem like it. How about I g-go and run us a warm bath?”

“That sounds great, baby. I’ll be right in.” She watched Tara go, and when she was in the bathroom and out of hearing range she looked skyward. “Okay, universe. Could you give a girl a break? I don’t think one little uninterrupted lovemaking session is too much to ask in exchange for saving the world. So, if you could help me out here, I’d really appreciate it.”
[hr]

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 10/02/2009)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:53 am 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

Dibs!!

Fabulous! Can't wait for more... *claps hands with glee*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:38 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

*sigh*

You sure do like to tease with that almost-smut, don't you?

Quote:
“Did you know Brad and Jennifer might break up?” Anya held up an ancient People magazine. “I’m riveted, personally.”

Again, COMAnya or EXDAnya. Hilarious.

Quote:
“We’ll need an x-ray, of course, but I can feel at least two breaks. I’m only going to get you an x-ray if you’ll tell me how this really happened, though.”

What a bitchy doctor! Is he not like, obliged to treat no matter what?

Quote:
“Well, not to sound all Martin Luther King-y, but I had a dream.”

:rofl So Buffy.

Quote:
I don’t think one little uninterrupted lovemaking session is too much to ask in exchange for saving the world. So, if you could help me out here, I’d really appreciate it.”

I concur. The universe better help her out. And, please, feel free to show us how ;-)

Can't wait for more :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:54 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Tarafied4Life
Hi. I noticed this fic last night and clicked on it, not really expecting to see updates, but I was wrong! I've just finished reading through from the start and enjoyed it immensely, especially the new postings.

I'm so glad you've come back to finish this fic, and hope that everything in RL has settled down now for you. It is good to be able to drop in to the Kitten Board and find this warm and welcoming community still here - I know it's been very helpful to me.

Keep up the good work with this fic. You're a good writer and your story has me in its grip. I need to know what happens. :blush

Thanks
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:15 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 1
Wow! I am loving the whole story, but I've gotta say that your dialogue is perfect and really brings the characters to life. Very nicely done. I'm glad to see you're continuing and now I can't wait to see what's next.

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:45 pm 
5. Willowhand

Author's Note: Okay, that took way longer than I meant it to - sorry. Had a conference thing for work, and then got wrapped up in a couple of other fics and stuck on this one. Back now!

If it's alright with everyone, I'll do feedback replies in the next update - I've read them, and I'm very grateful to all of you, though!

Chapter 15 – Elemental
Rating: R (no smut, though - soon! :kdevil )

“Hello?”

“Giles – it’s me.”

“Oh, are we prepared to talk about the impending apocalypse now?”

Buffy grinned. “Sorry about that – I was kinda busy.”

“And it was more important than the end of the world?”

“Yep,” she agreed brightly. Giles sighed, and she smiled – suddenly she felt 17 again, picturing Giles staring disapprovingly at her for some offense or another. It was the youngest she’d felt in a long time, and she gave Faith’s hand a gentle squeeze. Faith smiled tentatively as Giles went on.

“I visited Ethan. I’m fairly certain he told me everything he knows.”

“How many times did you have to hit him?”

Giles hesitated. “Just a few. He was...eager to help.”

“I’ll bet he was, Ripper,” she teased. Giles coughed.

“Indeed. Now, onto the business at hand.”

“Chaos. Hang on a sec, I want to put the phone on speaker.” Buffy fiddled with her mobile, finally locating the button in question. “Okay, go ahead.”

“Okay...Chaos. He – and of course, it’s a genderless being, but from what you’ve told me it’s occupying the body of a man, so let’s call it he – is one of the lower beings. In some ways he’s remarkably powerful – there’s an entire branch of magic referred to as chaos magic, and the spells therein are difficult for even experienced witches to combat – but at the same time he’s something of a joke among the lower beings. For millennia, he’s been resentful of his place. He sees this quest he’s on – reopening the hellmouths and bringing the demons back – as his free pass to fame and glory. Or, rather, the evil equivalent of same.”

“So...he’s a glory hound? That’s what this is all about? He’s going to bring on an apocalypse because he’s the underworld’s Shemp?”

“Precisely.”

“And I thought the First was lame. Anyway, look, there’s a new wrinkle, too – I didn’t tell you when I called earlier, because we didn’t know then. He’s after Dawn. She and Anya are on the run, but I don’t know how long they’ll be able to avoid him.”

“Dawn?” Giles sounded confused for a moment. “But why...oh. Oh, dear. Oh.”

“Talk to me, Giles – I don’t like when you say things like that.”

“I know what he wants with her. It’s...it’s not good, Buffy.”

“Well, don’t get all cliffhanger-y, just tell me!”

“He’s going to open a portal.”

“We know that, G-man, it’s kind of yesterday’s news,” Faith rolled her eyes.

“Not just the hellmouths!” Giles snapped. “If he wants Dawn, it’s so he can open the portal that her blood opened once before.”

“Wait – you said that door was closed, Giles. You told me, and you promised Dawn – her blood could only be used to open that portal at that specific time, and never again. That she was safe, and she’d never be the key again.”

“And that was the truth. I just...omitted some details.”

Buffy’s jaw dropped. “You lied to me? To Dawn?”

“I never thought it would be an issue! I hadn’t planned on our toppling the First Evil, or Tara changing the world, and I certainly never thought Chaos would walk free.”

“That’s...damn it, Giles! What else do I need to know? What exactly did you ‘omit’?”

“It’s...complicated.”

“I hate it when you use that word. Somehow complicated always means bad.”

“Look,” Giles sighed, “I was planning on sending a shipment of books to Rome for Willow and Tara. I could accompany the shipment, meet you there?”

“Rome? We’re not going to Rome! We’re going back to Sunnydale, and then we’re going to run down Anya and Dawn.”

“Why?”

“G, I know there’s still bad blood between us, but I’m worried about you. Did you fall on your head recently? Slip in the shower?”

“What?”

“That’s the only reason I can think you’d have asked a question that stupid. What do you mean, why? Didn’t Buffy just tell you that they’re on the run?”

“Well, yes...but chasing them down might be the wrong approach.”

“How? How could that possibly be the wrong approach?” Faith was stunned.

“Well, if everything needs to happen in Rome, then why not just advise them to surrender and be brought there?”

Buffy found her voice. “I did not just hear you say they should surrender.”

“Yes – you did.”

“God, this is like Glory all over again!”

“I’m not asking you to kill your sister, Buffy. It makes good tactical sense to let Chaos bring her to you.”

“And what about Anya? What possible reason would Chaos have for keeping her alive?”

Giles’ silence was answer enough. “So, would you like me to transfer you to Willow and Tara, and you can tell them your grand plan? To let their daughter die because it “tactically” makes more sense?”

There was silence on the line. “Well?”

“No. Look – I suggest a compromise. Send Willow and Tara to Rome. We have a great deal of research to do before the deadline, and Willow particularly will need to prepare.”

“Why her?”

“Because we’ll need a gifted witch, studied in Chaos Magic, if we’re to win this fight.”

It was Buffy’s was turn to be silent. “Fine,” she said slowly. “We’ll send them back, but Faith and I are going to save Dawn and Anya.”

“Very well. I should be in Rome in a few hours. I’ll expect them.”

“Goodbye, Giles.”

She savagely punched at the ‘End’ button, but her shaking fingers missed it. Faith hung up for her and pulled her close. “It’s okay, B. Nothin’s going to happen to the brat, I promise you.”

“I,” Buffy swallowed. “I couldn’t take it, if it did.” Faith held her tightly. “And I...what if...”

“What?”

“The last time this portal opened...” Buffy trailed off. Faith pulled away and grabbed her face with both hands.

“You listen to me, B. Listen good. You are not going to die. I will tear down every demon in creation with my bare hands before I let that happen.” Buffy gave her a wan smile.

“My warrior woman.”

“Damn straight. Hey – why didn’t you tell him about the dream?”

“Because he got me all upset, and I forgot. I’ll send the message along with our witches.”

“You really think they’ll go back to Rome, knowing the kid’s still out there?”

“They have to. We’re really short on prep time, and if Willow needs to get all trained up on chaos magic, then we need her in Rome.”

“I’ll let you convince them, then – I’m going to stand back out of the way in case she turns you into a frog or somethin’.”

[hr]

“I shouldn’t be leaning on you,” Willow murmured, settling back against Tara’s chest. “I’m a whale.”

“You’re beautiful,” Tara assured her, reaching around her bulging middle. “So beautiful. That’s our daughters in there, and you’re giving them life. I can’t think of anything more amazing than that.”

“Well, you looked better.”

“I did not – my stretch marks looked like a r-roadmap to Denver. Anyway,” she sighed, “seems like a lifetime ago now.”

“It does,” Willow agreed. “I miss...simple. You know? Back in your dorm room, watching Miss Kitty playing with a ball of string, never sparing a thought to the darkness at the door. Just...loving you.”

“I know,” Tara’s voice was thick. “But I d-don’t think we’ll ever have a simple life, Will. Even back then, playing with Miss Kitty, I was w-worried that I was a demon and that you’d find out, you were struggling with...”

“Being gay? Yeah. Maybe there’s no such thing as a simple life. But I’d settle for a calm moment or two, I think.”

Tara tightened her grip, luxuriating in the warmth of the bath. “There will be. W-We’re not going to be doing this f-forever.”

“We’ll retire and pass on our world-saving duties to the next generation, huh?”

“Yeah,” Tara smiled. “Imagine – Anya’s n-nearly old enough to have kids of her own, and th-then we’ll be-“

“Don’t say it,” Willow groaned. “Anya’s forbidden from dating until she’s thirty-five.”

“G-Good luck with that,” Tara snorted. “Speaking of Anya, could you c-call her? I know she said a c-couple of days, but I’m worried.”

“Of course, baby.” Willow closed her eyes. “Anya?”

“Mama? Is everything okay?”

“Everything’s fine, sweetheart – just checking on you. Did you go to the hospital?”

The sensation of Anya laughing through their mental connection was odd, like a tickle in her mind. “Sort of. We stopped in Bakersfield, but he followed us. We had to make a quick getaway.”

“Are you and Dawn okay?”

“We’re fine – running short of gas, though, and I’m not sure it’s safe to stop to fill up. His magic is...different, mama. I couldn’t stop it, and I couldn’t touch him.”

“We’re waiting to hear back from Giles – we’ll figure something out, Anya, I promise you. For now, though, just cast a basic shield charm. That should keep you invisible long enough to get more gas. Are you still going to Las Vegas?”

“Yeah – for now, anyway. Lots of people, should hopefully confuse whatever he’s using to track us.”

“Good idea. I’ll let you focus on your charm, sweetheart – be safe, okay? I’ll call you tomorrow. Or, if you find a hotel tonight, call me, okay? We’ll have our phones with us.”

“Will do. I love you, mama – my love to mom, too, okay?”

“Love you too, my baby girl.”

“Bye mama.”

Willow slumped. “Okay. They’re okay. He’s following them, though, and he’s using some kind of magic she’s powerless against. He nearly caught them in Bakersfield.”

“They’re b-both...they’re n-not hurt?”

“No, they got away. They’re still headed for Vegas, and either I’ll call her tomorrow or she’ll call us.”

“Good,” Tara sighed. “Could you light some c-candles, Will? I’d l-like to just sit here for a while, if that’s okay with you.”

“Of course,” Willow made a gesture and the room was suddenly filled with a dusky glow.

“Thank you,” Tara murmured.

[hr]

Giles stormed into the cell, not waiting for the guard’s nod. He grabbed the sleeping Ethan and pulled him roughly to his feet.

“He wants to use the Key. You didn’t think to mention that?”

“Ripper, I’ve been a bit out of touch, remember? I didn’t think Chaos even knew about the Key.”

“How do we stop him? That girl will not be subject to this again, not while I can prevent it.”

“And what makes you think you can prevent it?” Giles shook him roughly.

“Because I must. And you’re going to tell me exactly how.”

“I’ve told you everything I know, Rupert.”

“Then tell me where to find someone who knows more than you.”

Ethan sighed. “I can give you a name, but I can’t guarantee the person in question is going to help you. In fact, I’d be more surprised if they don’t dismember you on sight.”

“I’ll take my chances. Who is it?”

“You remember Jennifer Travers, yes?”

Giles’ jaw dropped.

[hr]

Willow answered Buffy’s knock, dressed in the white terrycloth robe the hotel had provided. Tara was reclined on the bed, dressed in a matching one. “Come on in, Buffy. Did you guys find out anything?”

“Well, yes and no.” Buffy recounted what Giles had told them, leaving out the part where they’d have to go to Rome.

“I never thought that made any sense,” Willow murmured when she was finished. “If the Key was around for thousands of years, why would it only work once?” She noticed Buffy glaring at her. “Sorry – off topic.”

“So,” Tara chimed in, “we have two problems, then. I m-mean, big problems. Chaos magic, for one, and Dawnie. We n-need to learn everything we c-can about the magic.”

“Actually,” Buffy winced, “Giles has some information for the two of you on that front.”

“That’s terrific!” Willow bounced on the balls of her feet. “And yet, despite its terrificness, you’re not smiling. You’re not even grinning. What’s up?”

“He needs...uh...you guys need to go to Rome.”

“Well, of course we do – we all do.”

“Not later.”

The words took a moment to sink in, but when they did Willow’s eyes lit up with fire. “What? You want to abandon Anya – and Dawn?”

“Not abandon – we’re going after them, Will. But you’re the only one who can do the mojo thing, so you’ll do more good in Rome.”

“I told you,” Faith whispered in Buffy’s ear as Willow stewed. “I’ll still love you when you’re a frog, I promise.”

Tara reached out for Willow’s hand and gave it a squeeze. “It’s okay, Will. “You know Buffy and Faith will k-keep them safe.”

“I know, it’s just – it feels like we’re turning our backs on her.”

“N-Never, Will. She knows – you can call her after and explain, too.”

The room was draped in uncomfortable silence for a few minutes. Finally Willow exhaled loudly. “Fine. I mean, what else can I say? But Buffy, if you don’t keep her safe-“

“You won’t need to do anything to me, Will. If anything happens to her, it’ll be because I’m already dead. Okay?”

“Okay.” Willow sat down on the bed beside Tara. “What else do we need to know?”

“I never finished telling you about my dream...”

[hr]

More soon, I promise! :kgeek

Post subject: Re: Life's Chronicles (Updated 11/09/2009)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:30 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Dibs. :party

Quote:
no smut, though - soon!

Still holding you to that promise...

Quote:
“So...he’s a glory hound? That’s what this is all about? He’s going to bring on an apocalypse because he’s the underworld’s Shemp?”

Heh.

Quote:
“Well, don’t get all cliffhanger-y, just tell me!”

I feel like you should impose that rule for any and all future updates. Cliffhangers are mean.

Quote:
“I never thought it would be an issue! I hadn’t planned on our toppling the First Evil, or Tara changing the world, and I certainly never thought Chaos would walk free.”

Really? After everything they've been through? Naive, Giles lol

Quote:
“I never finished telling you about my dream...”

*sigh* I refer you back to my note on cliffhangers.

I thought this was an awesome update and I'm really excited for the next one!!!!

:peace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:38 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:19 am 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

Ooh, good stuff! *claps hands with glee*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:06 am 
8. Vixen

Hi!
I just re-read the entire thing and I am still blown away by your story - I hope you still consider updating at some point in the future and that everything is well with you.
:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7