The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Dance Of The Salamander
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:59 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

OK, Jixer, I'm all caught up to date. What a pleasure to read this straight through. It's great to hear that the writing bug has bitten you again -- you may now proceed to produce copious amounts of literary pleasure for your fortunate readers.

May your tomatoes grow bountiful, and the gastropods not feast on your salad greens.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:19 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 1
Warning- Long, opinion-laden review-type post. Proceed with caution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I generally don't review things till they're done, as I detest reading something that is never finished… but you gave me Hotel Kilo, so I decided about 18 months ago- even unfinished, you'd give me a good read.

^_^ I love being right.

While I am not terribly fond of rapid changes between multiple concurrent event locations (it feels like it is better suited to film than prose), you are one of the rare folks that can make it work. My speculation is that it works because you know when to stop. When the technique stops serving, you (usually) go back into more linear storytelling. When it fits in, out come the plethora of POV dividing lines… The use of this POV switching in a less standard sense during the Big Tara Spell Suck gave a sense of disconnection between all those present, despite all being in the same place at the same time, dealing with facets of the same event.

Things move quickly in this story, which is not a bad thing- especially given the multitude of detours to all the corners this epic* touches. While I'm partially to big chunks of character introspection and analysis (i.e. Angst with a capital A), it can block the sense of urgency which is vital to this plot. I tended to have trouble getting the feeling of fatigue from characters until you specifically note a yawn or another character points out verbally the situation. Perhaps this is also from the detached POV? Hmm. My analysis is failing me on cause. I just had a number of points where I sat back and had to think about the timeline to understand why the characters would be exhausted. This is less of an issue in the most recent 5-6 chapters.

I am impressed, too, with the indirect material- pictures, dreams, symbol- that is sufficiently opaque enough to prevent too much foresight, but translucent enough that when the time foreshadowed has come, it doesn't pass unnoticed. Not easy. The dandelions are a lovely connector symbol… and I imagine that reading a section, then waiting till the next is posted and reading would space them out a bit, but when the fic is read together they are a bit heavyhanded- and I do mean just a bit.

The feel of the lawyer-speak and its contrast to the Scoobies is also nicely played. Your writing has a very distinct style to it, though I'd be hard pressed to say what that is. It is neither long-winded, nor is it short on imagery. I seldom know where the characters are, what they look like, or much beyond what is happening within the context of the story… but that's okay. Superfluous material is well nigh absent. Fun references abound (five of six parts of a cat being pointy, crunchy and good with ketchup… ^.^ *contented sigh*) but there is the serious life stuff too. Again- many people are good at one or the other, but seldom manage both.

Piddly little things, both good and not:

> Kudos on knowing what to say about burnt human smell (BBQ)- most people seem to think that humans are special somehow and won't smell like any other kind of meat.

>Thank you for writing a story about consequences. Most folks would have written the big Spell Suck as the story climax, wrapped it up in a chapter, and ended there. The story is in the fallout, as you show so well. And you are writing an epic- a story in which the changes within the characters, as much as their acts, change the world itself. There have been a few "changed the nature of magic" fics (can't recall the names at the moment, but the main example I can think of is not a positive one- a great story that fizzled due to its inelegantly executed end) I've read, but not ones that have done it twice… and the story's not over yet. ^_^ Yippee.

>This Tara is not the Tara we know from BtVS, but you have justification enough for that. It really feels to me like Tara and Willow were swapped early on, other than their identifying quirks- but again, it doesn't deter from the story. It's more of a retrospective "Huh, now that I look at it in a reviewer sense…" than a problem. Your Tara fits in with most Taras on the KB, which tend to be a lot more active than the reactive character presented on the show. In doing that, she presents heroism in a way that I don't have an English word of. 素直 - it sort of means "straight forward" with a hint of "pure/honest"- it's used as a sort of antithesis to someone who's tools are intelligence and craftiness, for whom the ends would justify the means. Usually this means someone who picks up a sword and bravely rides into battle against impossible odds because it may be futile, but it is the right thing to do. These are the heroes who charm those around them, and are lucky that they do, for without help their unintentionally martyr-like tendencies get them in trouble very, very fast. It's a hard role to write, and again, I applaud how you've handled it.

>Humor- witty repartee is a highlight of your dialog, and so are the truly serious moments. I appreciated the times that you dropped out (in cinematic fashion) the talk-over-the-plan parts, since we get to see them in motion regardless.

>On OCs- Your salamanders are great. They have personality, presence, uniqueness, apparent backstory- and they don't intrude overmuch. Villainous types are more varied- most are good, esp the corporate types, but the little groups less so (3 van vamps, for example)- I think this may have to do with the gap between dialog that large groups use to define themselves and inner voice that does the same for an individual. The solution? I dunno. Wish I did- it would make me feel more constructive with the criticism.

Of note- nothing I have nitpicked has made this less of a worthwhile read. It's still fun, has enough going on that going back after all this time to review it is still interesting, and I'm still puzzling over what exactly makes it all work so I can try it myself.

It's too late to stop before this gets long… but it's getting' late so I'll leave it there. I hope I have informed more than offended.

-Never

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:30 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hello Kittens-

The next chapter is being rewritten. The computer that had the story and several others has managed to die and mangle the back-up. Until such time, if ever, there is spare money to fix the beast everything is being done on a tiny back up laptop with a funky CD burner. Sorry about the delay. I was hoping to get the next chapter recovered but the old computer caught fire, fell over and then sank into the swamp (its late, hence the Monty Python flashback).

Russ-I love you reread the story, but I’m sorry its taken so long that you have to catch up again. I’ll get this story herded along come heck or bad harddrives!

NeverChosen-Thank you for reading this even though its gone on through two administrations.

I suppose I tend to think of this story and most of the other larger stories in an ‘arc with episodes’ kind of presentation. The more I want to change or do, the more POVs I need and that has gotten very large with this story. The big events seen by Tara’s fractured family impact each of them and its a balancing act to keep each of them moving. Part of their exhaustion was mine and part of it is my own observation (yea night shift trauma/ICU) about how tension in even slow moving crisis can wear at you. Throw in worry and sleep becomes more collapse than rest.

My style, such as it is, comes from reading way too much and stealing from the best. That and living around some very quick minded people.

The dandelions were a connector through the first part of the story. They may make just a few more appearances. Your observation about the choppy, chapter based reading and the different impact taken in one sit down reading is something I had not considered before, being mostly a chapter reader myself. I will have to remember that in the future. Kittens come in all reading styles.

I think I’m kind of stuck on consequences here. By the time BtVS ‘jumped the shark’ stuff just happened and then everybody went on without fallout. Fallout happens, good and bad. Things get paid for and nothing is free.

Tara-of-the-Kittens I think is based on who Tara was becoming in canon. Here she and Willow have gone through two very different paths from the opening devastating event. On their way back to each other they’re having to adapt to the changes echoing from that event. Tara ‘had to do what she had to do’- another hard thing to translate- which meant finally dropping the reactive and striking out on a course of action even if she didn’t like the path she had to take. Then the next turn came, but at least this time she had Willow beside her.

The effect of kindness and compassion can charm more than we are lead to believe by some, and our Tara’s kindness was genuine and present as much as it could be. But Tara is also charmed herself by the acceptance and kindness of her odd family. They are healing, and we’ll have to see how it goes.

I’m glad the salamanders are coming through. The big villain groups are easier to deal with because they tend to have a variety of goals along with a leavening of ‘me first’. The smaller groups could be fleshed out more but you have to balance that against what they’re mission is in the story. Still it is a good thing to consider since they bring their own flavor for that part.

Ah, Never, you have not offended in the least. One of my old lines on feedback was ‘bouquets and brickbats welcome’. You remind me how varied we are here, and I have more to think about now which is a good thing. BTW-Love the avatar!

Thanks to everyone who has taken time with my story.

Jixer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:24 pm 
5. Willowhand

Chapter Forty

“Tara, you need to take another,” Sheila said in a tone that would brook no refusal.

“I suppose I could take one more,” Tara admitted looking at the pile of carbohydrate filled patties. “Is this a latke?”

“Oh no,” Sheila grinned. “This is the side benefit of being a cultural anthropologist. There are dozens of versions of potato pancakes, ranging from the Irish boxty to the gamjajeon of Korea. I just pick and choose from the recipes looking for the ones I like the best.”

“You should write this one down and sell it,” Faith said taking two of the pancakes.

“Maybe a cookbook,” Buffy said grabbing two more of her own.

“As long as we skip the durian recipe,” Ira chuckled as he took the plate with two warm starchy discs from Buffy. “It got us kicked out of our hotel in Singapore.”

“This one is great,” Tara grinned. “I’m not sure how you could make it better.”

“Maybe make more,” Willow grumbled as her father slid one of the creations onto his plate.

“Don’t worry,” Ira said. “My cardiologist will have a fit with just the one.”

“Cardiologist?” Willow asked sitting up straighter.

“Part of the University’s new health push for the seasoned staff,” Ira explained. “I’m not even going to think about what I have to look forward when I turn fifty.”

Across the table Tara saw Willow slip into the barest touch of a trance. Without thinking she matched her lover’s gaze and saw Ira’s aura. The dark streaks from Wolfram and Hart’s attack on her through Ira were fading but still visible. Guilt swept over Tara as she broke the trance and returned her attention to the table.

“Tara?” Sheila asked.

“Sorry, woolgathering,” Tara replied quickly.

“Knit later,” Sheila smiled. “I have a new variation on an old favorite I want to try.”

“What?” Faith and Buffy asked almost together.

“Chocolate mousse,” Sheila answered.

=======================================================================

Near a warehouse near Hollywood Charles Gunn eeled his way past sagging posts holding a corroded chain link fence. Twilight was briefly adding the extra shadows that made this intrusion possible. It felt strange not to keep a steady watch for vampires, and he still had a cross and a stake just in case. A few minutes later he was inside the enclosed darkness of the warehouse. Gunn took out a flashlight with a red filter and looked around until he found the object he was sure he was looking for. He didn’t recognize the thing in the warehouse and so took out his camera and risked the flash. After a good survey set of shots he looked around the rest of the interior. Nothing more was visible, but he couldn’t shake the feeling something evil had been here.

Rupert Giles was wondering if a time portal would be possible, and if so would the early death of Alexander Graham Bell prevent the occurrence of the telephone lines that were the backbone of the internet and therefore prevent this teleconference turned schoolyard scuffle? Another leader of one the many ‘post vampire’ committees that had formed was voicing his opinion that while the Werewolf cure was a good cause an index study of the new magic was a more important use of the funds that would soon be available. Giles saw several of the other groups posture for a rebuttal and finally had enough.

“Shut up, the lot of you!” he snapped. Thousands of miles away a room full of people stared at him in a monitor. “Are all of the vampires destroyed? Are we sure they will never find another way into our world? If and when you can answer yes to these questions then we can give these proposals the time they deserve. For now, so you might have a future without vampires, I will be turning some girl who just days ago knew vampires were a myth into a living weapon for their destruction which will, in turn, most likely hasten her own demise. Good night!”

“A bit bitter?” Xander asked as Giles leaned back from the powering down computer.

“And yet very satisfying,” Giles admitted. “Shouldn’t you be at the Summers house with Dawn?”

“I had a desire for fried crunchy food,” Anya replied as she and Dawn came in.

“And the Doublemeat Palace makes the best fries and onion rings in town!” Dawn finished with an exuberant smile as she looked around the store.

“And the fact that there will be a new Slayer here tonight has of course no impact on your decision for fast food this evening,” Giles said rubbing the bridge of his nose.

“Is she here?” Dawn asked quickly. “Not that I was curious.”

“No,” Giles answered looking at his watch. “In fact we need to get moving if we’re going to make it to the airport in time. And since this is a school night, though one where the academic pursuits will no doubt be limited given the approaching end of the school year-”

“Except for Mrs Ingerson,” Dawn grumbled.

“Last chance for Summer School,” Xander shuddered.

“I’m afraid studying will be needed after all,” Giles said calmly.

“Hey,” Buffy said from the door of the Magic Box. “We stopped at the drug store.”

“Isn’t it a a school night?” Willow asked looking at Dawn.

“With one more trap to avoid to actually have a summer vacation,” Dawn admitted.

“Mrs. Ingerson,” Buffy winced. “You’d better get home and make sure you’ve got the
math down.”

“Want some onion rings?” Dawn asked holding out the bag.

“Yeah, these are the best thing they had,” Buffy said grabbing the bag. “But why’d you go all the way to the Doublemeat?”

“Long story,” Anya sighed. “Come on Dawn, you can impress me with your mathematics knowledge.” As she pulled on her coat Anya turned to Tara and held out her spare key to the store. “Lock it up.”

“I do have a key to the store,” Giles said with an affronted tone.

“You’re going to be talking shop with another Watcher,” Anya said clinically. “Buffy and Faith are going to be showing off to the new Slayer. There are books here in a language Willow can read. I need a grownup to secure my place of business so I don’t worry about anything but Dawn’s grade point. Lock it up, Tara.”

“I will,” Tara promised as Dawn and her minders left.

“Oh!” Willow said quickly as Giles shook his head. “We got a variety of OTC-that’s over the counter-pain meds.” With that she up-ended a small white sack and several small vials and bottles spilled out. “Now, each of these has its own benefits and drawbacks and a careful comparison will determine the best outcome. For instance this ibuprofen is more for an anti-inflammatory effect and has been known to cause such things as nausea or fluid retention-”

Giles gulped down two of the aspirin from a small bottle.

“Or you can just take two aspirin because that’s what everybody does,” Willow finished in a deflated voice.

“I’m sorry, we must hurry,” Giles said looking at the group. “Willow, are you sure you can do this without too much strain?”

“We’re going to wait here and practice to make sure,” Willow said thoughtfully. “I’m not going to say its going to be CGI perfect but we should be able to make it a bit more realistic.”

“Thank you,” Giles said as the two Slayers began to argue over who got the front seat in the rented minivan.

“Good luck,” Willow smiled.

“Well, you managed to find a look that you can afford,” the mixed race girl teased.

“Yeah,” the skinny boy said pulling his threadbare jacket back. “Look at this! A real Sunny Day Real Estate shirt for three bucks.”

“You got ripped off,” a well built teen wearing a letterman’s jacket and khakis said.

“Nah,” the thin youngster grinned. “I don’t go near LL Bean. Their clothes will turn you into a mannequin and you know what mannequins don’t have.”

“A pain in the ass?” the girl sighed as the big boy glared at the other.

“If you can please concentrate on the task at hand for a moment,” a middle aged woman snapped. “We might be able to get rid of this nest tonight. Does everyone have their holy water?”

Kelli was first down the short set of stairs and out of the plane. She stopped, looking around the tarmac. Behind her Trudy began her descent. “Babe,” the new Slayer said gently. “I think I’m the one that’s supposed to be protective.”

“Sorry,” Kelli said looking behind her.

“You’re doing a good job,” Trudy went on. “I feel safe.”

The wonderful moment as Kelli smiled at her faded as another passenger came out of the turboprop. “How’s a reasonable sized person supposed to get out of this sardine tin? I don’t suppose they’re here yet. Young Giles always had his head in the clouds.”

“Mr Preston, they’re trying to help us,” Trudy said politely. “I think that’s them.”

“Oh yes, that’s Rupert,” the man with a white halo of hair said with a frown. “Still too young.”

“Oh dear God,” Giles hissed as he straightened up without thinking. “That’s Cyrus Preston! They didn’t tell me he was the Watcher!”

“You know him?” Buffy asked knowing the answer.

“He was my Unarmed Combat instructor,” Giles said without moving his mouth very much. “He has eyes in the back of head!”

“I wondered where you learned that,” Faith grinned.

Buffy stepped forward and held out her hand to the girl behind Kelli. “Hi, welcome to California!”

*Bring the flow down up to the weir* Willow said as she brought a touch of her power across the line of magic. In her mind she saw Tara gently guide the magic to fill the small blocked section until the magic ‘overflowed’ back into its normal path leaving a small pool of magic. A half dozen others were on this line, ranging from a small rather rough first attempt to the last three that looked almost like a stepped millpond. Willow nodded to Tara and they both relaxed back into sitting on the training room floor. There was a soft knocking on the doorway.

“Come in,” Willow said a bit tiredly. “We’re decent.”

“Which is a pity,” Bruce said as he shimmered into the room.

“The couch is lumpy and kind of stinky,” Tara said with a a touch of distaste.

“Lumpy couches seem to be a theme,” Bruce mused. Then he smiled. “I like the reservoir concept. I see you haven’t blocked it off entirely.”

“Not until we have more observations,” Willow replied. “Just the study of the flow of magic now is enough to fill a notebook, let alone the possible consequences for blocking the flow.”

“Rate of flow versus time blocked,” Bruce said thoughtfully. “Effects of a collection of magic on the surrounding area. This could be quite a project. How’s your utilization of the magic?”

“We seem to be pretty efficient,” Willow said.

“Are they on their way?” Tara asked getting to her feet.

“Oh, right,” Bruce said quickly. “They’re in front of the store. Remember Willow, you’re a fire witch. I’ll be nearby if you need me. Training is always important.”

A moment later the door to the training room opened. Tara recognized Kelli. The brown haired girl behind her had an athletic build. The new girl looked at Willow and Tara for a moment and then looked away. Not because we’re witches, Tara thought. But because we’re college girls who are more Kelli’s style. Ones who can take her away.

“Hey,” Kelli said cautiously. Only then did Tara notice how close the blonde was to the new Slayer. She saw the way Kelli was looking at everything in training room like it might be a threat.

“Hey Kelli,” Willow said back. “Who’s the cute chick?”

The new girl looked up surprised at Willow’s words. Kelli took her hand. “This is Trudy,” she replied with a smile.

“Short for Gertrude,” Trudy said with a shrug.

“Meaning strong spear,” Giles observed.

“Actually I think its strength of the spear,” Tara said with a thoughtful frown. “Referring to the shield maiden.”

“And you are?” the old man in the rear of the group asked.

“These are the witches,” Buffy said with a hint of pride.

“They’re the magic part of our posse,” Faith added.

“This is Willow and Tara,” Giles said politely. “Willow, Tara, this is Cyrus Preston.”

“A pleasure,” the old man said. “Though I expected someone older.”

“Is the training magic ready?” Buffy asked eagerly.

“This thing gave me the willies,” Gunn admitted as he and Winifred looked over the photos arranged on the table. Fred leaned forward and pointed to one photo.

“Copper mesh?” she asked.

“Looked like, but its corroded,” he answered.

“Or burnt,” the thin girl frowned. “What are these?”

“Heavy duty truck batteries,” Charles said leaning forward and tracing their form. “The poles are here, where is looks like there was some wicked short circuit. There’s half a dozen of them attached to whatever this is.”

“Are those jars?” she asked pointing to photos of the rear of the burned machine.

“Or urns,” Gunn said thoughtfully. “They’re ceramic. You thinking they might be magic storage?”

“Not enough data,” Fred said thoughtfully, which Charles knew meant that she was thinking the same thing but was trying to be the good detached scientist. After a moment she leaned forward and picked up shot of the burned front of the machine. “I want to check something,” she said frowning.

“Wow!” Trudy said stepping back from the image of the collapsing vampire. “Do they always fall apart like that?”

“Only if you’ve done your job,” Preston said dryly.

“Miss the heart and they get cranky,” Buffy said. “Or they run off with your best stake in their chest and you’ve got to chase them down to get it back.”

“Beheading can be a bit better,” Faith insisted. “If you miss and smash the axe into their head they usually just fall over and quiver.”

“We are not using the stake targets for axe work!” Giles snapped quickly

“Lets get the basic stake moves down,” Preston said calmly. “Once you have the theory its really just a matter of muscle memory being built up. Shall we run through this again?”

“Holy...” the skinny boy whispered as the vampire collapsed in a pall of dust. “Annie, you did it!”

“Yeah-” the girl started before a brief flurry of coughing stopped her.

“Hey, there’s make up here,” the muscular boy said thoughtfully looking at the dusty vanity.

“Vampires can’t use mirrors,” the raggedly dressed boy said confidently.

“Couldn’t use mirrors with silver, Timothy,” a middle aged woman said as she came into the chamber. “And there are coats in three sizes here.”

“Oh crap,” the girl sighed. “There are more of them.”

“Very good,” Preston said with a nod watching Faith’s strike demonstration. Trudy stepped forward and moved with her new speed and strength. She was not a smooth as Faith nor as precise as Buffy, but to her trainer she was improving swiftly. “Much better,” he said with a small smile. “Nice touch with the hint of flame and the death roar,” he added looking at the witches. “Trudy, go through the basics a few more times and then do the off hand strikes. The old boys have to go and get boring.”

The Slayers nodded and returned to the dummies. Giles led his senior back to the office. Once the door was closed he turned to his old instructor.

“Rupert, do relax,” Cyrus sighed. “ I’ve been teaching teachers for the last decade. You’ve kept your Buffy alive longer than anyone else ever did with their Slayers.”

“I’ve had help,” Giles said modestly.

“The new way,” Preston said tightly. “But there are only so many witches like your girls.”

“Witches, a carpenter, a former demon, a cheerleader, and the occasional commando or werewolf,” Giles corrected. “Not what they taught at school.”

“You adapted,” the older man said easily. “You’ve adapted so well right now you’re the bees knees at the Council.”

“Me?” Giles asked with a start.

“You,” Preston smiled. “I have to admit you’re doing better than I have.”

“Is it because your Slayer came with a lover?”

“Don’t let the chronicles fool you, lad. About a third of the Slayers have had lovers and sometimes those lovers were girls. Thing was it would never have mattered. Trudy’s almost too old. Another few months and she’d have never been called.”

“Why did they assign you?” Giles asked handing the senior Watcher a glass with a generous splash of amber liquid.

“Old man need a soft assignment,” Cyrus replied taking the glass. “Next thing you know I’ve got a Slayer in her very early twenties who’s just found a girlfriend. No, my girl and her girl aren’t the issue that’s driving me right round the bend. Rupert, those two know every sob-sister so-called singer songwriter and all the lyrics to their insipid tales of suburban woe and the radio channels that play them for a hundred miles! They have no idea what real music is. Do you know they’ve never heard of Jackie Brenston?”

“‘Rocket 88’” Giles nodded.

“I swear Hoagy Carmicheal and Jo Stafford might has well have signers of the Magna Carta!”

“Mother loved ‘Stardust’” Giles said with a sad smile. “What about Nat King Cole or Mel Torme?”

“Not a clue.”

“In this case I’m thankful for living in California, land of technology and fads,” Giles said with a small grin. “Do you have a computer?”

“Had to,” Preston said. “I’m getting all of our older combat manuals into a more accessible form. Some of those things are a mass of line drawings. The boffins set me up with a big Apple with a scanner and one of those laptop things.”

“There’s something new called an iPod,” Giles said now with a real grin. “I believe it will help. Oh, perhaps you can introduce your girls to Julie London.”

“They might like her,” the older man smiled.

Cordelia leaned back in the booth and sighed. She was just glad to be back in Vancouver this evening even if it meant interior scenes in the morning. She loved the city with its nightspots, dangerous bakeries, and hotels with hot water heaters larger than a coffee can. Next to her her costars Katie and Caroline looked around the slowly filling club. Katie grinned. “Too bad I’m not really gay,” she chuckled. “After Wendy hits the air I’d never have worry about getting laid again!”

“I don’t think you have to worry about that,” Caroline said glancing at the dance floor. “You’re being noticed.”

Cordelia looked around the club and froze. At the bar three people, two male and one female looked out over the crowd with the gaze of predators. She looked behind them and felt a lurch as she saw a teenaged girl next to an older man wearing a tweed jacket. As she watched the girl walked in front of the trio. Suddenly she put a hand to her tummy and rushed for the back door. The two males started after the girl but the female held back for a moment, then followed the other two. Cordelia turned to her costars. “Stay here!”

The former cheerleader was on her feet and catching up the female in front of her when a dancer got in front of what was in fact a vampire. With barely a shrug the offending dancer flew backwards out of the vampire’s way. Cordelia reached into her bag and grasped a pair of hair sticks that were just a bit too thick and pointed. As the female hunter opened the door Cordelia got a glimpse of a dusted vampire falling into nothingness. The other stumbled by with his face steaming. The teenager was turning when the vampire grabbed her and pulled the stake out of her hand.

“Surprise!” the creature snarled as she slipped into her hunting face. Then she screamed as she fell apart.

“You bet!” Cordelia said pulling back the undercover stakes. In front of her the girl had a shocked look on her face. “I’m from Sunnydale.”

“Ah,” the older man said stepping over a new pile of ash further along the alley. “That explains it. Thank you.”

“That-that-that-” came from the back door of the club.

“Was a real vampire,” Cordelia said glaring at Katie and Caroline. “What part of ‘stay here’ was too hard to understand?”

“She wanted to come!” both actors said as they pointed at each other.

“Oh no, wait,” Cordelia said suddenly turning to the girl. “You’re a new Slayer.” The girl just nodded. “I-I’ve got to make a call.”

“It’s a trident!” Fred said holding up one of Wes’ books. “I knew I’d seen it before.”

“Trident of Monos,” Charles read. “Doesn’t look like a fish spear.”

“Monos was the god of pain and sarcasm in Ancient Greece,” Fred explained as she looked at the photo and the drawing again.

“Looking at this thing I can believe it,” Gunn said. “What does the wicked trifecta of stabbing do?”

“It doesn’t say, but Angel made a note here next to it,” she said looking at Charles. “He does know a lot about this stuff.”

“I hate to interrupt his Daddy time,” Gunn sighed. “But I don’t like this.’

“Guys, you don’t have to stay,” Dawn said as Xander worked on a set of papers. Anya looked up from Dawn’s math book.

“While I’m sure you could study very well on your own,” Anya said primly. “I have doubts if you could study without phoning Janice and discussing Kevin and the possibility of a double date.”

“Which would take you way past school night bedtime as defined by ancient beings like me,” Xander added. “Sorry Dawnster, you’re stuck with us.”

“Can I at least call her for a bit?” Dawn begged. “My circumference is getting numb.”

“Twenty minutes,” Xander holding out his wrist. “By my watch.”

Dawn sighed.

“Dad, there’s two of them,” Connor said happily.

“Mind leaving one to me?” Angel said with a small grin.

Angel heard a pair of footsteps begin to rush. He and Connor turned as one. The vampires hunting visages registered alarm just before the stakes found their hearts. As the dust drifted down Connor yelled “First!”

“Mine was farther away,” Angel insisted “And I hit him harder.” Then he heard more rushed steps. He pushed Connor back just a flushed teenaged girl turned the corner with a stake in her hand. “Oh no...” Angel whispered. The girl looked at them carefully. “Are you the Slayer?” Angel asked with a rough voice.

“Uh, yes?” the girl answered. Behind her Angel heard someone call out “Damn it Brenda, wait for us next time!”

Angel’s cell began to ring.

To Tara, Trudy’s last move was much slower than the others had been. She glanced at Buffy, who caught the look and stopped her move. The slim blonde Slayer turned to the new girl for a moment. “Shoulder?” she asked.

“Uh, yeah, sorry,” Trudy replied softly. “How fast does the Slayer healing work?”

“Not fast enough,” Buffy frowned.

“Well, we do have some anti-inflammatory stuff,” Willow said straightening up from her position on the floor near the dummies.

“Good,” Buffy said, then she smiled. “Hey Tara, you remember what you did after I did that triple vamp stake thing but came down on the wet grass and landed on my shoulder.”

“Among other things,” Tara smiled. “Yes I do. I’ll need a straight back chair and a pillow.”

Giles groaned as the cell went off. He put the phone to his ear.

“What-wait a moment-Angel do shut up!” Giles snapped. Then he sighed. “Buffy and Faith are quite all right. There have been...some changes.”

As Willow lead Kelli back from the tiny bathroom with the pain relievers in her hand she saw Trudy leaning against a pillow on a chair. Behind the Slayer Tara was concentrating on her strokes near the brown haired girl’s neck. Behind her Willow heard Kelli hiss. “What’s she doing?”

“Come here,” Willow said pulling the blonde into the front of the store. After the door swung shut Willow glared at Kelli.

“Look!” Willow started. “You had better pull your head out of jealous over-protective mode right now! You go around with that attitude and things that bite are going to eat you alive.”

“But-”

“No buts!” Willow said firmly. “Get this through your head. She’s a Slayer. As much as you want to help and take her burden you can’t! She’s so strong she could knock out a rhino in full charge. She’s probably going to get involved with some sort of mystical thingamajig and have to carry the weight of the world on her shoulders. I’ve seen it and all you can do is be there for her and let her cry on your shoulder or maybe give her a swift kick in the butt to get her started. Think you can handle all of that?”

“I’m not leaving,” Kelli said with her eyes burning.

“Good,” Willow said scaling back her tone. “There’s something else. I’ve been through the best girl in the world thing, but you’ve got to give her some space. Things will get... messed up if you don’t.”

“This is so new,” Kelli sighed as she slumped into a chair. “I finally meet a girl I want to wake up next to for a few decades. I’m-I’m afraid I’m going to look around one day and find out I’ve lost her.”

“Kelli,” Willow said gently putting a hand on the other girl’s shoulder. “You couldn’t lose her with a crowbar and a mallet.”

“You think so?”

“I know so,” Willow said with a grin.

“Okay,” Kelli said a bit shakily as she stood up. “No more hen with one chick. Uh, what was your girl doing?”

“Massage,” Willow replied. “You’re going to want to take a couple of workshops, and maybe a first aid course.”

“I don’t like the sound of that,” Kelii shuddered.

“CPR saved Buffy’s life,” Willow said firmly.

“I’ll learn,” Kelli said resolutely.

“Good,” Willow nodded. “You know, for all their strength, Slayers can be kinda fragile.”

“How does that feel?” Tara asked as she feathered her touch and took her hands off Trudy’s shoulders.

“Wonderful,” Trudy sighed.

“Not too wonderful,” Tara teased. “I don’t want Kelli scratching my eyes out.”

“You think she’d do that?” Trudy asked shyly.

“For you, in a heartbeat,” Tara grinned.

“Hey,” Willow said as she approached with Kelli and a trio of bottles. “Are you allergic to anything?”

“Peanuts,” Kelli answered. “Oh, sorry.”

“How about an ibuprofen or three?” Trudy ventured.

“How about two?” Tara suggested.

“Sounds good,” Trudy said taking the pills. As she took a long drink of water Tara saw Buffy and Faith talking with Giles. Tara saw the tension flare across Buffy’s shoulders and the angle of her jaw. A moment later Preston came down the hall from the loo and everyone began to gather coats. Tara finally managed to catch Buffy’s eye. The blonde smiled at her friend.

“I’m okay,” Buffy said softly to Tara. “Angel and Cordy met the new girls and they kind of, well they freaked.”

“”Oh, they thought-” Tara clamped down hard on her train of thought as the image of her friend bleeding on an operating table came back to her in a flash. She felt Buffy’s touch on her arm.

“Yeah, that’s what they thought,” Buffy said gently. “But I’m fine.” Then she looked at Willow. “We’re going on patrol, want to come along?”

“I’d just suggest patrolling the library,” Willow said with a small shrug. “Besides I kind of promised my parents I’d be in early tonight. You go ahead. Oh, if you run into something hot remember you’ve got backup.”

Buffy frowned and then nodded. “Thanks Will. Okay, shall we get going?”

After the others had left Tara stopped and locked the front door of the Magic Box. Then she sculpted some of the magic around the store into a ward. She crafted it to fade away in nine hours. The spell vanished quickly into the door. “Why nine hours?” Willow asked.

“That’s when Anya gets in,” Tara replied.

“We were going to take care of the store so she could get a vacation,” Willow said quickly. “But after I shower and brush my teeth and floss and get dressed and have a cup of coffee and eat I’ll be getting up as early to come here as I did for school!”

“I can open the store myself,” Tara pointed out.

“No way!” Willow insisted. “You’re not going to be in a magic shop in Sunnydale on your own. Every bit of leftover badness will show up here.”

“Or in our sewers,” Tara said lightly. “Along with the entire cast of Titanic complete with extras and all of the props.”

“Our town,” Willow said with a disturbing brightness. “It’s special!” She took Tara’s hand and they began to walk to the Rosenberg house. After a while Willow glanced over knowing she was going to see a thoughtful look and her lover’s face. “What is it?”

“Everything that made Sunnydale special in the bad way is gone,” Tara said carefully.

“There’s a few of the Mayors old boys hiding in City Hall,” Willow said. “But I understand what you’re saying.”

“How is it going to change?” Tara asked not expecting an answer. “Is it just going to grow like a wildfire and change into hundreds of strip malls looking for a freeway surrounded by cookie cutter developments?”

“I don’t know,” Willow said after a moment. “The future was different just a month or so ago. I don’t have a solution. We may just have to grow up.”

“Just a bit,” Tara said softly. “But not right now.”

“Tara, you don’t think sacrifice means...politics, do you?”

“I hope not!” Tara gulped. “I’m not good at the whole, um, public speaking thing.”

“Okay, enough scary grownup thinking,” Willow said as they arrived at her parents’ home. “I don’t want to wake them. We need to be quiet.”

“Quiet as mice?”

“Quiet as ninja mice,” Willow corrected.

“I’m in touch with my inner ninja mouse,” Tara whispered.

Willow approached the door. She took a moment to push in the key and turn the doorknob very slowly. Silently the door opened. She took just as much time carefully shutting the door behind them and threw the bolt so softly she wasn’t sure it had gone all the way home. They grinned at each other,

“Honey, would you and Tara like some tea?” Sheila called from the kitchen.

“Our ninja mice powers are as nothing against Mom Hearing,” Willow sighed. “Sure Mom.”

“Oh, when did you get in?” Ira said coming out of his study.

“Just now,” Willow replied with a small smile. “With a partial ninja mouse win.”

“I cannot keep up,” Ira said shaking his head.

“Join us for tea?” Tara asked. Ira looked at her and Tara felt indecision and something else she couldn’t identify.

“Not tonight, but if an Orange Pekoe shows up in my study I wouldn’t mind,” Ira smiled.

“Dad, there’s more to tea than Orange Pekoe,” Willow said in a tone that indicated this was a very old patch of ground.

“All propaganda from that Earl Grey person,” Willow’s father said lightly.

“Mr. Giles?”

“Yes Winifred,” Giles replied on his cell as the girls descended on the Starbucks with Preston in tow.

“Charles found something,” the thin girl reported. “I’m sending you an e-mail with jpegs.”

“Those are the picture things, correct?”

“Yes sir,” Fred replied and Giles knew she was smiling.

“What will I be looking at?”

“We’re not sure,” she replied more seriously. “I’m adding our impressions in the e-mail.”

“Thank you,” Giles said with a frown. “Get some sleep.”

“Yes, sir.”

Tara knocked on the study door. From inside she hear Ira call out “Come in Willow.”

“Just me,” Tara said as she opened the door. “Your tea, sir.”

“Tara, stay a moment, please,” Ira said turning back to his computer. “Just let me save and close here.”

Tara looked around the book-filled space. Along one wall there were photos of Willow. They started off with snapshots of a baby and a toddler. Around the first grade a pattern emerged. There was a school picture of Willow at some point in her academic career and a photo with one parent and a science project. The series stopped in high school. On the next wall there were plaques and diplomas. One was from Washington University at Kansas City. Next to it Ira was one of a group of smiling students under a banner proclaiming ‘Danforth Scholars’. Next to that was an even younger Ira holding a huge trophy.
“The year I won the State Championship for Debate,” Ira said flatly.

“State Champion,” Tara said impressed. “I remember my old high school’s debate team. They were so focused and intense.” And they totally ignored the shy stuttering girl she added to herself.

“It’s what proved to me if I could find the right words I could make anything the way I wanted it to be,” Ira sighed. “If didn’t like a truth, I could talk around it.” Ira waited for Tara’s questions but after a moment realized she was just listening to him. “Tara, could you come by and talk with me later this week?”

“You want to t-t-talk to me?”

“No, actually I want to listen to you,” Ira said meeting her eyes. “Tara everything I know about you and where you came from is mostly hokum designed to make the people who buy it and peddle it feel very superior. I want to know you, where you came from, and all about this world of magic and monsters I’ve been protected from by people I’ve dismissed.”

“I can do that,” Tara said gently.

“Good,” Ira said with a sad smile. “Maybe you can help me learn about my daughter as well. I haven’t known her for a very long time.”

“Thanks guys,” Buffy said as Xander and Anya pulled on their coats. “Any problems?”

“Dawn was sufficiently competent at her exercises,” Anya reported. “She even did the extra credit problems.”

“She went to bed about a half hour ago,” Xander added. “Oh, thanks to conversation I was trying to not eavesdrop on you may be asked for permission for a movie date this Saturday”

“Thanks for the heads up,” Buffy smiled as she showed them out the door. “Be safe.”

Buffy and Faith stood in the quiet living room. Faith saw Buffy close her eyes and wondered how precious this moment of normalcy was to the thin blonde. Buffy let out a long sigh and looked at Faith.

“Go ahead,” Buffy said. “Say it.”

“I don’t want to,” Faith replied with a sad frown.

“This isn’t what we need to do,” Buffy said tiredly. “Our most dangerous encounter tonight was a vegetarian demon with bad breath and worse poetry.” Buffy looked towards the stairs and Dawn’s room. “Slayers aren’t needed here. We have to go.”

“B, maybe I can do this on my own,” Faith suggested. Buffy’s glare stopped her. “Or not.”

“No,” Buffy said firmly. “We need to get moving. I’ll talk to Giles in the morning. Let’s get some sleep.”

“Honey, how are you and your Dad doing?” Tara asked as they got into bed.

“About a well as we have for the last couple of years,” Willow said stifling, then losing to a yawn. “We’re okay, I guess.”

“ANNIE!” Timothy screamed as the inexperienced Slayer got between the two vamps and was knocked to the ground. The first thing out of his jacket was a bottle of crushed garlic. He dumped the whole jar into the vamps faces. They growled and pawed at their streaming eyes. Then he grabbed his last bottle of Holy Water. He’d missed earlier so he got as close as he dared and emptied it into the wrinkled faces of the vampires. The male flung out an arm in agony and Timothy flew backward against the basement wall. A half second later two dying screams filled the poorly lit room. Annie staggered forward to a very still form.

“Get up poser,” she said in a ragged voice. “C’mon, Timothy, this isn’t funny.” Annie knelt on the grimy floor. “Timmy...Tim get up...please?”

A moment later Annie’s Watcher found her followed by the big teen but the girl did not see them. Her tears blinded her to everything but her own grief as she held a cooling hand.

Giles was reconsidering the use of his ring tone since he’d begun to fume at the opening bars to any Pink Floyd song. Now just before he could get into bed it went off again. “Now who needs their hand held?” he fumed as he reluctantly opened the phone. “Yes?”

After a moment he sighed tiredly. “I’m so sorry Lois. I’m afraid you’ll need to leave him. That’s what the Dustmen are for. Get her out of there. Carry her if you have to, girl! The police can’t find her there. I’ll call and get them moving.”

“Where am I?” Timothy asked softly.

“Where do you think?” a peroxided hipster in a duster asked.

“I’m dead, but I’m thinking your not an angel,” the boy said mostly without squeaking.

“You’re not my usual pick-up,” the older man said unhappily. “What makes you think you deserve an angel?”

“I, um, I s-saved her,” Tim replied. “She’s okay, isn’t she?”

The grayness faded and the boy saw Annie being dragged out onto the street. As they watched she collapsed, sliding down the car door. “We can’t leave him there,” she said weakly.

“We’ll get him home,” Lois said.

“We were his home,” the big lad said through his own tears.

“Oh shit, Deke,” he complained. “Don’t go all soft on me jock boy, your boyfriends won’t like it.”

“Ah, that’s why I’ve got you,” the lean man sighed looking off to something Tim couldn’t see. Then he turned and smiled in a most unreassuring way. “By gum, let’s see if we can’t knock off some of that attitude, shall we?”

========================================================================

Buffy was out of her bed and holding a dagger from a cubby on the nightstand before she was totally awake. Faith rolled out of her bundle scrubbing her cheeks. “What the Hell was that?” Faith choked out.

“She lost somebody,” Buffy said returning the blade. “She lost someone closer than she knew. Damn IT!”

“Hey,” Faith said standing up and holding onto Buffy. “We’re here, ours are okay.”

“I-I need to call them,” Buffy said softly.

“B, look at the clock,” Faith said gently. “It’s late. We’ll check on them tomorrow.”

“Then we’re going wherever this happened,” Buffy said with a tired anger. “We’re not gonna lose any more.”

“That’s right,” Faith said closing her eyes and begging the still night. “No more lost ones.”

The dark brick-lined passage was full of the sounds of a distant battle. A battle Tara knew good people were losing. The salamanders danced an oval into existence as the dragon watched down the passage into utter darkness. Willow strode out of the flame-wreathed portal, her red hair writhing like the flames. She looked down the the hall, her face beautiful and terrible at the same time.

“Let’s finish this,” she said as she stepped forward, a flight of flames coming into being in front of her and driving back the dark.

Tara awoke from her dream. For a moment she stared into the dark. Then Tara took Willow’s ‘night time idea’ pad and the pen from their place on the nightstand. In the weak light from outside Tara wrote something carefully. Then she put down the pad and burrowed into the covers next to Willow. She was quickly back to sleep, but the blonde tossed and turned all night in her dreams. On the night table the pad was open to a mostly empty page with the words ‘League of Flame’ in Tara’s writing.

To Be Continued

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:11 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for a great update-y goodness... I hope they soon find out the way to beat the League of Flame...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:00 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hello Kittens-

Ah, Zampsa1975 my apologies for making this story so long. Way back in chapter 4 Betty relates "It was when I was with the League of Flame,” Betty said reluctantly. “I was going through an idealistic phase and out to save the world. Hanging out with young people can do that to you and they were all so damn young." The old League of Flame (and can't you picture the big budget Hollywood remake) consisted of a salamander, a dragon and two humans.

Thanks for keeping the feedback going Z. It is a help (and it reminds me to be more clear).

Jixer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:37 am 
2. Floating Rose

When I started reading this, for some odd reason, I didn't take into account it was unfinished. Now that I have I have one thing to say: Why?

I love this new universe you've created, and I find that it's absolutely extraordinary. I love everything about it, particularly the last chapter where Willow shows some maturity in getting Kelli out of the situation and explaining to her, with no quips, anger, or lightening the mood exactly where she has to stand in order to deal with Trudy. Faith is a really nice touch but I have to wonder about her non-sexual/but-I-want-it-to-be relationship with Buffy.

Bruce, however, stole my heart. I love that little guy and his Ozzie glory.

Catch ya later-

The Best Name On The Site

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:32 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hello Kittens-

Well The Best Name On The Site, the reason this story isn’t done is because I let Real Life get behind me with a net. Then Bills to Pay got uppity. Entirely my fault. My thanks for your stopping by anyway.

I’m glad Willow came across as more mature. I’ve often felt she took the most damage in the season that failed.

I have a secret I will broach. I think Bruce would be voiced by Hugh Jackman. Anybody who can do a superhero people have tattooed on their bodies and do ‘The Boy From Oz’ with verve can do a antipodal salamander!

Faith, oh boy. Where is she coming from? Starting with my version she was an abused child, then suddenly she’s got a destiny and super strength. Her first Watcher is butchered alive by a monster, her second turned out to be fraud that tried to kill her and Giles didn’t catch it. She had learned that sex either had no meaning beyond release or was a tool. Her next mentor was the Mayor who in his defense actually liked her in an almost fatherly way even if he used her skills in advancing his plot. Then she’s stabbed and ends up in a (Hollywood) coma.

Now when she wakes up she switches places with a young woman who has a loving mother, real friends, and Captain America for a boyfriend. Tara and Willow enter the picture. One big O spell and a fight later she’s back to being herself, only something’s wrong. Now how much did mostly Tara’s spell effect Faith? How much did being outside looking in change things in her head? The next thing we know she’s hired to kill Angel but end up trying to commit suicide-by-vampire-with-a-soul. Instead she gets prison time and learns a whole new bunch of things she doesn’t want to know.

So where in the mess that was her life was she supposed to learn what love, friendship, and intimacy really mean? That last part is important because when she joins the Scoobies in supporting Tara while the earth is contaminated with mercury all of a sudden she’s got a connection to the witch that was instrumental in breaking her hold on Buffy’s body, a witch who loves another woman so much she touched the darkness. A connection that had leaks.When that bond is broken Faith’s reaction is so strong it scares her.

So that’s how she comes to the place she’s at now, trying figure out where’s she’s going in the middle of an emotional dust storm without a compass while trying not to fall into any of the traps she’s been in before. I know where I’m taking her, I just hope the kittens won’t be disappointed.

Thank you for sharing your time with my story,

Jixer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:15 pm 
5. Willowhand

Chapter Forty One

Willow felt Tara twist and turn beside her. The red haired witch sat up slowly in the bed with an increasing disquiet. Outside the day was under way. She could feel nothing specific beyond Tara’s unhappy dreams. Finally she took a long breath and shielded the room and then the bed. When she was satisfied with the ward she let herself go out and follow the unease that stalked inside her. The walls of the bedroom seemed to fade as Xander and Buffy came into view in her mind’s eye.

“I’ve got to go, Xan,” Buffy said tautly. “They’ve lost one of their Scoobies.”

Dimly images flashed into Willow’s vision of the Space Needle, rain and Starbucks

“Of course you’ve got to go,” Xander said nodding. Then he added unhappily “Buff, I-I can’t go with you.”

“This isn’t your fight anymore,” Buffy said with a small smile.

“I’ll keep an eye on the girls,” he promised. “I won’t let Dawn manipulate Willow too much.”

“Good luck,” Buffy said with a real smile.

“Have you talked to anyone else yet?” Xander asked.

“Stopped by the Magic Box,” Buffy replied. “Anya wanted me to take her bat. Giles is arranging the flight to Seattle. Faith’s trying to pack every weapon in the training room. Our visitors are coming along.”

“And Dawn?”

“And Dawn was grown up and supportive,” Buffy said shaking her head softly. “I wanted more time.”

“You’ll get it,” Xander said confidently. Then she leaned forward and the small woman hugged him. A few seconds later Xander got out the word “...ribs...” and Buffy let him go. He looked at her more seriously.

“Have you told Willow?”

“Not yet,” Buffy admitted reluctantly. “I want to give them just a bit more time.”

Willow opened her eyes in her room. Tara was barely awake and looking at her with questioning eyes.

“One of the Slayers lost someone in her group last night,” Willow said flatly. Tara rolled and wrapped her arms around Willow’s middle. “Buffy’s going to Seattle with Faith and Trudy,” she went on as her hand closed gently over Tara’s. “She’s probably going to come by here in a bit.”

“She’s going to need us to look after Dawn,” Tara said with a yawn.

She needs us to go with her! Willow thought behind her strongest shield. “I don’t think I can sleep anymore,” she said aloud. “I’ll get dressed.”

“’kay,” Tara managed around another yawn. “Sorry, didn’t sleep well. Weird dreams.”

“Rest your eyes for a bit,” Willow said as she kissed her love. “You don’t want tired eyes.”

“Right,” Tara replied and rolled back under the covers. “Just a few more minutes.”

Willow smiled as Tara drifted off to sleep in a handful of seconds. She pulled the sheet up over the blonde’s shoulders. Willow turned only to stop and look back at Tara’s side of the bed. Willow bent over to pick up the notebook where it had fallen. The small volume flipped open to words in Tara’s writing.

“League of Flame?” Willow said very softly.

Giles finished the e-mail and sent it along to Fred. He looked at the carefully arranged pile of books and decided to leave it. The Watcher created a folder (and felt a small bit of pride in doing so) labeled LA Magic Device with copies of of the pictures and e-mail he’d received. Then Giles took out a fountain pen and wrote out a note to Willow. As he finished Faith poked her head into his office.

“Giles, do we have any more quarrels for the big crossbow?” she asked urgently.

“Cabinet on the end, bottom shelf,” he replied. As Faith left Giles placed the note on the books and stood up. He reached for his jacket as he stepped out of the office. He was pulling it on when he saw the dozen duffle bags on the mat.

“Faith,” he said gently. “It’s a small chartered jet, not a 747.”

“But we might need this!”

Willow was pouring a cup of coffee when she heard the soft knock at the back door.

“Come in, Buffy,” she said calmly.

“Hey,” Buffy said unsurely as she came into the kitchen.

“Here,” Willow said holding out the almost full cup. “Yes, we have plenty of milk.”

“Psychic coffee Willow is the best,” the Slayer said. Then she caught the aroma. “The morning blend. You were expecting me.”

“There was something wrong,” Willow said with a frown. “Tara tossed and turned most of the night. Finally I tried to find out what was going on and I heard what you told Xander. I’m so sorry and know how upset that must have made you.”

“I was going to call all of you last night, or actually really early this morning, but Faith pointed out I was, you know, being just a bit crazy.”

“No, you were you being you,” Willow said wistfully.

“Thanks,” Buffy sighed.

“Just like you were being you when you decided you needed to make this a Slayer only trip to Seattle,” Willow went on. “You need m-us.”

“I need Willow and Tara, or I need Willow and Tara to stay here and watch Dawn while we face the evil hoard?”

“Tara was better with Dawn than I ever was,” Willow admitted sheepishly.

“Will, between what you two have done there’s a chance to get rid of vampires,” Buffy said leaning forward. “I mean extinction kind getting rid of vampires.”

“But what about the other things that go bump, or growl, or have sharp sticky-outty things in the night?” Willow asked urgently. “How many times have you found something that wasn’t a vampire but was willing to turn you into Slayer sashimi just the same?”

“I’ll call for help,” Buffy promised.

“It may be too late to phone when something with two mouths full of poison fangs has you cornered or you’re hanging by your fingers over a chasm full of werewolves or-or-”

“I’ve got to do this,” Buffy said firmly. “I’ve got Giles and Faith with me.”

“I know, and I’m glad they’re with you,” Willow replied. “But you’re going to need more than that sometimes.”

“And you’re going to leave Tara at home and bop around the world?” Buffy asked crossing her arms.

“I...um...well, maybe just when you need me,” Willow said as she thought of what Tara might say about her plan and quickly shied away from the rest of that thought. “I could-oh! I could teleport!”

“You can’t teleport everywhere,” Buffy said more evenly. “And hopping on a commercial flight and trying to get there before my arms give out and I fall into the chasm full of werewolves isn’t gonna work.”

“Maybe if you took Betty and Bruce?” Willow asked hopefully.

“They’ve got their own lives,” Buffy replied. “Besides I think there might be some sort of salamander rules about helping humans even if Betty did do the truth, justice, and the fiery way with that League of Flame thing.”

“League of Flame?” Willow asked quickly.

“Betty told us about that while you were...” Buffy swallowed and looked pale.

Willow took two steps and hugged Buffy tightly. The Slayer leaned into her, trying to hide suddenly wet eyes. “Before you helped rescue me,” Willow said gently. “While you were helping Tara and keeping her safe.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said raggedly. “Then.”

After a moment they broke the embrace and Willow looked at Buffy sternly. “Don’t let your coffee get cold.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said more like herself. “What was I thinking? I’m treating this stuff like it grows on trees.”

“Charles!” Winifred yelled from the lobby. “Turn on Channel Five!”

How does she type eighty words a minute and keep track of the news and the police scanners? the young man wondered to himself one more time. He grabbed the remote at the front desk and turned on the TV. The breathless chatter from the coifed reporter went unheard as he recognized the warehouse energetically burning to its foundations. “Damn,” he muttered.

“Maybe it’s a coincidence?” Fred ventured.

“Kind of doubt it,” Charles sighed. “Do we know where Wes is right now?”

“No,” Buffy said firmly. “I’m sorry Will.”

Willow was striding angrily down the hall as she replayed the scene in the kitchen in her mind. She opened the bedroom door and stormed into the room. Tara rolled over and looked at Willow.

“She said you couldn’t go with them,” Tara said calmly.

“She wouldn’t accept my argument,” Willow fumed.

“Did you offer just you or both of us?” Tara asked quietly.

“Well, ah, it ended up as us,” Willow admitted wincing slightly at the memory.

“Good,” Tara said with a small smile. Then her smile faded. “But I don’t think I’m going to be able to go with you.”

Willow turned to her lover and stared. “Why?” Willow finally asked. Then she reached for the small pad. “You wrote this,” Willow said softly. “Buffy said Betty was part of the League of Flame. It sounds kind of old fashioned comic book or maybe an adventure serial like they used to do in the old days.”

“Betty did say she joined in the twenties,” Tara said. “I’d go with adventure serial. Maybe you can get a bullwhip.”

“Nice try,” Willow said leaning forward. “Why me and not you?”

“You’re a fire witch now,” Tara replied. “The salamanders danced you back. There’s probably a strong connection there.”

“Maybe strong enough to transport me which would make me a better fit for some sort of a magical flamey SWAT team,” Willow said as her mind began to slide possible scenarios into place. “But...you’re stronger than I am.”

“I don’t think so,” Tara said with a smile. “Not now.”

“Honey, no offense, but you’re quite the silly little thing when it comes to knowing how much you rock on so many levels,” Willow said looking into Tara’s blue eyes. “Like how you can see what I need to do and how you’re going to let me do this and not even try to hold me back and how much you worry, not just about me but about everybody we love but you’ll never let on.” As she spoke Willow crawled across the bed until she was over Tara, looking down on the other half of her soul. “You really do rock, Tara Maclay. Trust me.”

With that Willow kissed Tara and eased herself onto the blonde witch to prove it.

Kevin’s mother heard the knocking and went to the front door. She opened it and saw a petite blonde woman.

“Hi,” Buffy said with a polite smile. “I’m Buffy Summers.”

“Oh, Dawn’s sister,” Gwen said nodding.

Then the small woman stepped into the house, but stopped just inside the doorway. “Kevin said you’re a nurse at Sunnydale General,” Buffy said politely.

“That’s right,” Gwen said carefully.

“I’m going to assume you’ve noticed there haven’t been any neck ruptures for a bit,” Buffy went on.

“I was kind of wondering about that,” Gwen said warily.

“I’m one of the reasons there weren’t more,” Buffy said evenly. “I fight, ah, the causes of those ruptured necks. But those causes are gone around here and there’s a chance to stop them from happening anywhere.”

“So you’re going to be gone,” Gwen said evenly. “What about Dawn?”

“That’s why I’m here,” Buffy said, her voice slightly nervous. “Kevin’s a good kid and for right now he and Dawn are doing okay. My, um, job makes it hard enough on her. I don’t want a sudden departure to make things rough with you.”

“Who’s going to be watching her?” Gwen said. “She’s a good girl.”

“Thanks,” the younger woman said with a smile. “Our friends Willow and Tara will be staying with her.”

“And they’re reliable?” the older woman asked quickly.

“Spoken like a mom,” Buffy grinned. “Yeah, they’re reliable. Tara’s the reason Dawn’s still a good girl. She’s also the reason the neck ruptures stopped in California.”

“Oh,” Gwen said softly. “Buffy, there’s...other things besides, oh heck, other than vampires, aren’t there?”

“You’ve suspected,” Buffy said. Gwen gave a small nod. “Yeah, most of them now are fairly harmless, but there other things out there.”

“If you’re not here and the police aren’t able to help if something weird happens...”

“Something like everybody loses their voice or starts singing and dancing or there’s a really big track with claws in the flower bed?”

“Yes, like that,” Gwen said in a relieved tone.

“Call Willow and Tara,” Buffy said. “If they don’t know the answer, they’ll know who to ask.”

“Honey,” Willow said as they stepped out onto the street. “What if Betty doesn’t want to reawaken the League of Fire? I mean Bruce would in a heartbeat and probably come up with theme music, but Betty’s been through this before.”

“And I think it cost her two of her human friends last time,” Tara said with a slight shiver. “One by the woman who stole that book of magic and one sort of...faded.”

“How often did you talk about it?” Willow asked.

“Um, once,” Tara replied hesitantly.

“But there were old emotions, weren’t there?”?
“Yes,” Tara nodded.

“That explains it,” Willow said surely.

“What?” Tara with a quizzical tilt to her head.

“How you got so much out of it,” Willow explained. “You’re so much better than me.”

“Don’t sell yourself short,” Tara smiled. “You understand our little band on several levels.”

“Even Anya?” Willow asked archly.

“Yes, despite your, um, different frames of reference.”

“And you’re a diplomat too,” Willow grinned.

Amy Madison trembled as her sweating body slipped to the floor of the small apartment. The tiny dancing lights faded and the book she’d been trying to levitate to the ceiling fell from a foot above the desk as she did. Her best efforts were useless. The magic she’d been used to for months was gone. Anger filled her as she thought of what she had endured to make herself more powerful was now wasted, just like her dreams.

“Why do I know Willow or her dishrag of a girlfriend are behind this?” Amy snarled to herself.

“I can’t tell you how much this means to me,” Buffy said with a tired smile as she picked up an overfilled suitcase in her living room.

“Or to me,” Dawn added. “I’ll actually have grownups living here full time again.”

“Remember to keep up my schedule of sister torture,” Buffy said pointedly ignoring Dawn. “I don’t want her getting all soft while I’m away. Oh, I talked to Kevin and Janice’s mothers.”

“Good thinking,” Willow said.

“Does that mean I’m still okay to spend the night at Janice’s tonight?” Dawn asked hopefully.

“Ask the grownups,” Buffy smirked.

“It would be nice to get settled back in,” Tara agreed quickly. Then she bit her lip and took a breath. “Um, we’re going to need to bring over Miss Kitty.”

“One cat,” Buffy said turning to her sister. “Not two cats, not a dog and three cats, not a llama that just followed you home and a cat. Got it?”

“Because there are so many llamas loose in Sunnydale,” Dawn replied. “Fine. One cat. Until you get back.”

Before any further discussion about animal companions could take place Faith came out of the kitchen. Behind her Lilah Morgan was putting something into a classic black leather briefcase. The lawyer froze for a second when she saw Tara.

“Miss Morgan,” Tara said in her politest tone.

“Miss Maclay,” Lilah replied with a measured calm.

“Oh good,” Giles said as he too came out of the kitchen struggling to put on his jacket, hold a file folder full of papers and carry a battered leather and canvas bag nearly as stuffed as Buffy’s. “I’ve made a list of numbers just in case. I included Angel’s people on the second page. If there’s anything you need-” Giles stopped as the file tried to fall out of his hand.

“We’ll call you,” Willow finished. “We promise.”

“Very good,” Giles said with a hint of distraction. Tara noticed Lilah had taken advantage of Giles’ arrival to slip out quietly. The blonde witch felt a hint of guilt. “Sorry girls, we must hurry.”

“Give me that,” Dawn said taking the file. “You wrangle the bag, I’ll carry the lightest stuff and still claim to be helping.

“Gotta go,” Buffy said grabbing her bag with ease. Then she gave each of her friends a quick hug.

“I’ll be right there,” Faith said as the others strode out the door. Willow noted that Faith’s luggage seemed to consist of a battered nylon backpack. The brunette took a breath. “There’s something I need you two to do while we’re gone.”

“If we can,” Willow said carefully.

“Cool,” Faith nodded. “Can you see what you think the house needs for repairs and, uh-oh hell, and if Buff’s hiding any money problems.”

“She’s always wanted to go back to school,” Willow said without hesitating.

Faith’s expression was a mix of wistfulness and regret. “That’d be good,” she said distantly. Then she seemed to shake herself and grabbed her pack. “Gotta go kill vamps. See ya!”

The two witches looked out the window. Buffy placed her bag in the trunk then turned to her sister. They hugged tightly for a handful of seconds. Willow smiled when Buffy stepped back and gently brushed an errant lock out of Dawn’s eyes and knew without looking Tara shared her smile.

Wesley Windham-Pryce kept the car’s speed just a touch over the speed limit as he thought about what Charles had told him. Virginia was staying in Lompac helping Martin Gutierrez and his wife transport a truckload of native California flora to the gardens of the Master of Horticulture, and Wes was glad of it. Seeing Virginia had awakened memories and feelings he wasn’t sure he was ready to deal with. Thinking about what dark forces might be behind the warehouse fire and the new unknown magical mechanism was easier. While he drove Wes picked up the small memo recorder as he came up with thoughts and questions, recording them in Attic Greek just in case.

Buffy settled back into the leather seat of the of small private jet next to Faith. Across the small table Giles was already pulling out a book about Seattle’s underground. Buffy tried not to think about celebrities who had met their fate in a plane crash. Behind them Kelli and Trudy were looking around with the excitement of a new adventure while Preston pushed and old hat over his eyes and drifted off to sleep. The Slayer became aware of Faith’s hand on hers and a grip that increased as the engines built up power for the take off. A quick glance confirmed Faith’s discomfort as the brunette alternated squeezing her eyes closed and taking quick, furtive glances out the window. Buffy felt herself breathing steadily, using one of the first centering techniques Giles had shown her. Her own worries faded. She had to be strong for the younger Slayer.

“Thanks for the ride, Mom,” Willow said from the back seat of Sheila’s sedan. Before Sheila could answer Miss Kitty added her vocalizations about the trip. “Miss Kitty says thank you too.”

“I’m not sure that’s exactly what she said,” Sheila said wincing at the feline tone.

“The last time she got a ride she went to the vet’s office,” Tara said looking worriedly at the cat carrier.

“That sounds more like what she’s saying,” Sheila said over the noise. “Probably an office with a waiting room full of dogs.”

“Yeah,” Willow agreed reluctantly. “But at least today it’s a short trip.”

Just as she said those words they turned onto Elm in time to see the fire engine arrive at the accident scene snarling traffic ahead of them. Behind them a large SUV pulled up. Miss Kitty began to dig at the box.

Lucinda looked up from her book as the minivan stopped at the red light. Her mother was talking on her cell. The girl looked to the right. Next to them an old tan panel truck waited for the signal to change. Something about the truck made her unhappy. Her dog came alert and flattened her ears. Nellie let out a very soft growl. The light changed and the truck was slower to start. In a few minutes it was out of sight. Lucinda looked down at her pet.

“Good dog,” Lucinda said softly.

“Get a grip,” muttered the driver of the truck. “There’s nothing there.”

Even as he said those words he took a quick look in the mirror at the back of the truck. The tarp covered shape hadn’t moved. Without realizing it he let out a brief sigh of relief.

Dawn looked up at the unholy noise coming from the porch. When the door was unlocked she was on her feet and ready. The witches struggled through the door with a shaking carrier. The teen’s wariness vanished.

“Oh, she’s so scared,” said reaching for the feline travel pod. “Poor Miss Kitty! I’ll take her upstairs. I’ve got Buffy’s room all ready for her. ”

“That was fast,” Willow observed. “It’s almost like you were expecting this.”

“Be prepared,” Dawn said as she started up the stairs.

“Wrong scouting gender,” Willow replied. “Have you got a litter box?”

“Already filled with her brand.” Dawn called from the head of the stairs.

Willow smiled as she looked over at Tara, then felt a catch in her breath. Tara was sitting on the sofa, the same place she’d been the night Amy had talked her into going out and enjoying their power without thought. For a second Willow was sure Tara was looking at her the same look of pained betrayal. Then the moment flickered away as Tara reached up and touched Willow’s hand.

“I’m sorry,” The blonde witch said softly.

“Sorry for what?” Willow asked gently. “Cause I’m thinking you’ve got a whole lot of stuff you don’t need to be sorry about at all.”

“I was just unfolding some self pity,” Tara said lowering her head.

“Honey,” Willow started.

“It’s...it’s just that I wanted you for myself for a week or so before what I’ve come to think of as reality caught up with us,” Tara said in a rush. “I know Buffy’s doing what she has to, and Dawn’s a great kid but...”

“But you wanted me all to yourself,” Willow said with a small smile. “Can I just say I think that was a great thing to want?”

“Yes,” Tara said with a lop sided grin. Then she looked up the stairs. “You think we should check in on our girls and see if Dawn’s made a bed for Miss Kitty using Buffy’s designer sweaters?”

“We probably should,” Willow sighed.

“You know, I still think I envy Buffy having a sister, but not nearly as much as I used to,” Tara said as they headed up the stairs.

The tan panel truck’s reversing safety beeps filled the small warehouse/office space in a light industrial park nestled in the San Fernando Valley. A forklift pulled up behind the truck as several men gathered around.

“Gently, gentlemen,” a man in a well cut suit said.

“Yes Mr. Greene,” a couple of the men answered with respectful tones. The rest simply became a bit more deliberate in their actions. The man known as Mr Greene smiled inwardly. In the recent past people he would have worked for would have used ensorcelled slaves or captured demons. They had never learned to mix technology, magic and street psychology. The men unpacking the urns so carefully might be anti-social, stupid and lazy but they had their uses and he didn’t have to spend any of his carefully managed magic to keep them in line. The young Chinese immigrant girls who sewed up the magic suits did so carefully not due to spells but because he gave them days off and paid them on time. Each of them gave a bit of the magic they didn’t now they had to their labors. Instead of using them up he carefully conserved their output. He had never been a strong mage, but now he was one of the few prepared for the new reality.

After the urns had been safely stored he let the men go for an early lunch. When he was alone in the office he pulled up his files on potential enemies. The Grand Master of Horticulture was a semi-recluse, but had been known to stir himself from his gardens for the right provocation. Greene checked through the search bots. A few more Wolfram and Hart employees were confirmed dead. That made him smile, then he touched the ‘Current Red’ icon. The sole file appeared bearing the name Tara Maclay. Greene had no desire to cross paths with such a powerful unknown, but the witch did live in Southern California and what his machinations were geared for would make the Wiccan his enemy. He had some contingency plans should he have to face her before he could have her killed.

Mr Greene sighed inwardly. Tentative questions about magical dealers in death proved that Wolfram and Hart had had a near monopoly on the market. The few remaining survivors tended to twitch and whimper when Maclay’s name was mentioned. Causes and criminals had their killers but they talked or were caught too frequently to make sending them after such a dangerous witch very unwise. Governments had killers but were very possessive about their employees with such skills. Despite a plethora of bad novels, television scripts, and movies the reality of the independent professional assassin was hard to prove. He had had some limited success, but he had learned what he wanted was very expensive, didn’t give refunds and didn’t take to questions from outsiders in a friendly manner. He had his surviving agents making more careful inquiries. With such an opponent he needed to keep her unaware of his plans.

Amy Madison stood in line at the coffee shop near her tiny apartment. The post spell lethargy seemed especially stiff today. While she waited for the skinny bottle blonde in front of her to finish a complicated order Amy’s gaze trailed over the “Our Community” board with dozens of fliers and cards. The pseudo blonde in front of her suddenly said “Wait, instead I’ll have...” Amy glared at the girl and then looked back at one of the flyers.

Is The Power You Once Had Gone?
We are exploring a new path to power for all of those who are willing to take the risk. So far the results have been surprising. Call the number below.

Amy reached out and tore off one of the remaining pre-cut tags with a phone number on it. The airhead was finally done. Amy glanced at her watch and sighed. Two more hours until she to be at her waitress job. The buses were going to take most of that time.

Willow leaned forward and touched the match to the candles. Next to her Tara was keeping quiet. A few seconds later the flames became much more agitated. “What’s on your mind, Willow?” Betty asked warily.

“Buffy and the other new Slayers and what they’re going to run into as they hunt the vampires around the world,” Willow said quickly.

“They are unique warriors,” Betty said neutrally.

“But they’re young,” Willow said with a restrained tone. “And while I don’t have your experience I know what else hangs around with vampires. Sometimes the other bad guys are worse.”

“You want to do something about that,” Betty said with a sigh.

“I have to!” Willow insisted. “Buffy’s died twice. One of the new Slayers and a Scooby are dead. Who knows how many of these kids are going to get killed without help when they run into something that doesn’t go poof when you stake it.”

“Of course taking the head off just about any baddie usually works nicely,” Bruce added from the other candle.

“If they get a chance,” Willow replied. “These are girls who never even picked up a sword until this week.”

“What do you propose?” Betty asked guardedly.

“In the twenties you had the League of-”

“NO!” Betty shouted as the candle’s flame fountained upward. “You have no idea how dangerous-” The flame lowered and the room grew silent. “You have no idea what you’re getting into, Willow.”

“Will it be worse than facing vampires and demons and Hellgods and crazy government experiments and techno jackasses around a huge pit of evil?” Willow asked calmly. “Been there, done that.”

“Got shot,” Betty added flatly.

“Yeah,” Willow nodded. “Came back, thanks to a kick ass pair of salamanders and the best girl in the world.”

“What about you?” Betty asked turning her bright gaze to Tara. “Do you like this idea?”

“No, I don’t like it,” Tara said meeting Betty’s gaze. “I want Willow home and safe. I want you two to visit during a barbecue on a summer’s night and have nothing more dangerous than Xander’s cooking to worry about. I want to have long talks into the night on the back porch watching the firepit as we discuss magic and old movies and music. I want my Mom to come through the door and tell me this was a new beginning. I want Joyce to follow her through the back door talking about the plans she has for the garden. That’s what I want. What has to be done is never going to be what I want, but I’m going to do it.”

“Do you plan on being part of what Willow proposes?” Betty asked.

“No,” Tara said with a brief shake of her head. “This is something she is uniquely qualified to do.”

Betty just nodded and the quiet filled the room again. “I have to think about this,” the salamander said. Then she looked to the other candle. “We have to think about this.”

“That’s all we can ask,” Willow said quietly. “Thank you.”

The plane touched down on Boeing Field with the barest of jolts. Buffy ignored Faith’s very faint whimper. As the small jet taxied toward a private hanger the dark haired Slayer opened her eyes and sighed deeply. “Are we gonna be doing this a lot?” Faith asked.

“Probably,” Buffy replied gently.

“Oh goody,” Faith groused.

“What’s worse is I’m the one with a license,” Buffy added. “I’m going to do the driving.”

“Now I’m frightened,” Faith shuddered. “Let’s go kill vamps so I can take my mind off that image.”

The small meeting room was packed. Cordelia felt her heart rate accelerating as the network people took their place at the head of the long table. The lights dimmed a bit and the large TV flickered to life. A few seconds later a fast driving rock theme boomed out of the speakers and ‘Wendy the Werewolf Warrior’ came up in a gothic style font. Then she saw herself doing the ariel walkover in slow motion as Cordelia Chase came up on the screen.

“Oh my God, its real,” she whispered. Next to her Katie and Caroline shushed her.

For the next forty plus minutes Cordelia watched herself and her coworkers on the screen. She noticed the suits were taking notes and began to fret. Finally the end credits rolled. One of the network visitors clapped as the lights turned up. He nodded to the producer. “Good work. Let’s talk.”

Willow was sipping her tea as Dawn teased Miss Kitty with a peacock feather. A faint pop sounded. “Would you like a cup?” Willow asked.

“Yes, thank you,” Betty said. “Where’s Tara?”

“Magic Box,” Willow replied.

“Is she worried about Anya?”

“She’s just seeing a friend,” Willow said, then she frowned thoughtfully. “But she does worry about Anya. Well, Anya and Xander and Giles and...”

“Tara does that a lot,” Betty observed. “So do you.”

“Comes with the territory,” Willow shrugged.

“Magic?”

“Family,” Willow replied.

“True,” Betty nodded.

“You’d better be careful,” Willow said with a smile. “We’ve worried about you too. You may be in danger of becoming the flamey Dutch Aunt and Uncle.”

“I have rarely faced such peril,” Betty answered lightly. Both females enjoyed their tea in silence for a few moments as Miss Kitty stalked and pounced on her colorful prey. “You know this won’t be easy.”

“Nothing worthwhile ever is,” Willow said softly.

Wes pulled into the visitor’s parking in Lilah Morgan’s building. He cast a wary look around the underground structure. Something was slightly off. He exited the car making sure the small sharp knife was loose and ready. A figure separated itself from a nearby shadow and came forward slowly, hands open.

“May we speak in peace?” a coarse voice asked politely.

“We may speak in peace,” Wesley said matching the formal tone.

“I am Kronalt’k, wrongfully exiled to this world,” the demon said. Wes noted the rill and the delicate mauve highlights in the creature’s fur.

“You served the Four Faces?” Wes asked.

“How civilized of you to notice!” Kronalt’k said with what might be called a smile. “Yea, fully two score and twelve have been the times I have borne arms in the name of the Law. But my sad tale is not what brings me here. You are an adviser to the Tara Maclay, are you not?”

“I help when I can,” Wes answered truthfully.

“Does she follow the Path?” the demon asked intently.

“In her own way she does the work of the Four,” the young man said carefully.

“Then you must bear to her my words of warning,” the demon said firmly. “There is a plot afoot against the Tara Maclay.”

“Thank you and come again,” Anya said brightly as the stout middle aged man took his leave with his bulky purchases.

“How many customers is that since I’ve been here?” Tara asked with an impressed tone.

“Seven,” Anya beamed. “None of which spent less than eighty dollars.”

“Why?” Tara asked.

“Mostly they’re buying things to do magic that used to be covered by invocations and such,” Anya explained. Then she gave Tara a concerned frown. “Are you going to be able to keep up with this level of commerce?”

“I think I can manage,” Tara smiled. “Have you got an idea what you’re going to do for your vacation?”

“Yes, and you’d better not laugh,” Anya warned.

“Oh?”

“I’m going to a convent.”

For a long second Tara was silent. Finally she got out a soft “Why?”

“For the silence,” Anya explained.

“Because the world is so noisy now,” Tara said nodding. “A thousand years ago you could find silence to think. Now...”

“Now not so much,” Anya sighed. “Its kind of an unstructured retreat. I’m taking some books.”

“And some paper to make lists,” Tara added.

“Yes,” the former demon agreed. “I’ve been going off instead of thinking and that’s cost me more than I’d like.” Anya met Tara’s eyes. “I’m glad it didn’t cost me your friendship, even if it should have.”

“Um, ah, what about blinding everybody to demons?” Tara winced.

“You were scared, I was bloody pissed off. Neither emotional state is good for decision making.”

“Thanks,” Tara said with a small smile.

“What about you?” Anya asked pointedly.

“What about me?”

“This can’t be what you wanted,” Anya elaborated. “Baby-sitting Dawn while Buffy and the other one are off fighting vampires. Staying in town for the summer, watching over the Magic Box while I’m on vacation. Where’s the excitement?”

“I’ve already done excitement this year,” Tara said with a wry expression.

“No, you’ve done ‘the world falling apart and I’m walking into the abyss to save everyone’s butt’ this year. What does my friend want to do this summer?”

“I...I don’t know,” Tara said honestly. “I like having one place to sleep and it is kind of nice having a little sister even if only by proxy.”

“But?”

“But I’d like to take Willow and go up the coast,” The blonde witch said looking wistful. “I want to take 101. Every night would be a new place by the ocean and we’d stop at little shops and restaurants and places you could lose yourself in for hours. Maybe at the end of that we’d go up into Canada and explore Vancouver and Victoria. I’ve never been to another country.”

“You need to do that,” Anya said gently.

“After your vacation,” Tara grinned.

“Well, of course,” Anya said tossing her hair and posing languidly for a moment. “After all it is all about me!”

Rupert Giles had stepped away from the practice session. Buffy and Faith were showing a great deal of promise as trainers. Between them they could find a way to teach all of the new Slayers ways to survive and win their deadly encounters. Even the girl who had lost her good friend was doing better after Buffy had sat down with her alone and talked for a while. Their respective little groups were at least to a point where they wouldn’t get in the way of a stake. Before he could look over the plans of the area his cell rang, now with a muted chirp. He looked at the calling number and frowned.

“Hello Wesley,” he said with a neutral tone.

A few minutes later Giles put away the phone as Buffy fell into stride with her Watcher. “What’s the unhappy news?” she asked with a studied casualness.

“Buffy, we have our own issues right now,” Giles started to reply. Then he stopped and sighed. “Given how well secrets have worked in the past I will simply ask that you remain focused on the task at hand.”

“This problem first,” Buffy nodded. “Got it.”

“Some one has decided Tara is a threat and they seek to eliminate her at some indeterminate point in the future.

“Have you told her?”

“Wesley will tell her this afternoon in person,” Giles explained. “The Los Angeles team is looking into it.”

“Okay,” Buffy said with a very slight shrug.

“You’re taking this much more calmly than I thought,” Giles said after a few seconds.

“Some unknown baddie wants to commit suicide by going up against Tara,” Buffy said easily. “You’d have thought they’d know better by now.”

“Hey,” Willow said as she all but sashayed into the Magic Box.

“Hey back,” Tara smiled.

“Oh!” Anya said from the counter. “Just a second...here it is! Giles left you a note.”

“Oh pooh!” Willow pouted. “That always means research. Well, before I’m tied down studying some obscure text I’m taking my girl out for iced mochas.”

“It might be important,” Tara said as she stood up from the table.

“I know what’s important right now,” Willow said with a smile.

“Oh, go coo and bill,” Anya said. “Just remember to bring me one when you come up for air.”

“Skinny, but with whip and an extra sugar,” Tara recited as she and her girl headed for the door.

Anya watched them leave and smiled with a bittersweet feeling as they kissed in front of the front window. A moment later the phone rang. “The Magic Box,” she said with a commercial brightness. “Where we have what you need for magic. Oh. What is it Wesley?”

Tara felt herself relaxing as Willow sat down next to her. The day’s heat made the shade welcome and her first sip on the iced coffee drink was a wave of sensual cold. Both of those sensations paled as Willow took her hand. Tara let all of the wonderful sensations wash over her as she gazed into beautiful green eyes. The day was now...

“Perfect,” Tara said with a languid smile.

“Oh yes,” Willow agreed, then stole a kiss in the dappled light of the afternoon.

To Be Continued

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:37 am 
9. Gay Now

Yay for great update-y goodness... I hope the bad guys go poof very quickly so that Tara could have her evil-free-vacation with Willow...

Posting while nude improves your mood...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:45 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hello Kittens-

Well zampsa19752001 I am just off a staycation, and longing for a real vacation. Maybe that will influence my decision :)

Thanks for everyone who's followed this story.

Jixer

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9