The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Fic: Coming Back (Updated 7/17/05)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:55 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dibs, dibs, and double-dibs!

~About five minutes later~

Knew I'd need to do that ^^

Anywho, absolutely lovely. I'm really enjoying the way you've got it set up, a little bit of action, not too intense, very well written, followed by a letter that explains their varying emotions.

I assume it'll be a good few updates before they meet again though. After all, you've got eight years of letters to go through. Unless, perhaps, you're going to keep going with the letters in the updates after they meet? Hmmm...

Last edited by Naeryn on Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:56 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 1
Lovely update! I have that mushy feeling inside, but yet I'm also sad and depressed over it. How weird... :crazy

I love the interaction between Donny and Tara. Reminds me of my own relationship with my own sister. Very realistic. I hope they grew closer as they grew older, just like I did... :geek :grin

Can't wait for the next update! Is there another letter? I can't wait to find out if Tara's car breaks down! :lol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:00 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Awww. This is killing me. :aww Tara's letter is pretty much responding to Willow's. It is basically a love letter to Willow.

I am really enjoying the story. Please keep up the frequent updates.

Last edited by The Rose24 on Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:19 am 
3. Flaming O

man.. I want the meeting day!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:58 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Car,
Ok, here's the deal. I had lasic last year. My vision is perfect now. I mean absolutely perfect! It's like a miracle. But... the tear ducts didn't really heal right yet. So I put in eye drops all day long. And if I feel the urge to cry, it just starts burning my eyes but no tears come out. It's actually somewhat uncomfortable.

My point... this letter from Tara was exactly like that. Willow's was typical Willow-babble but Tara's was just heartwrneching. She's just so out there. So honest. I mean wow, this much understanding of her own emotions and another person's from a 14 year old? That's really amazing. Makes me think how parents always think that kids/teenagers don't know what "real love" feel like. Very beautifully done.

I will say that I would defiintely have put a transition in this part. On one hand, it works well because we already saw the first letter and understand the structure. On the other, it would be smoother with a lead in.

That said, I think you're doing a spectacular job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:34 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

JustSkipIt wrote:
this much understanding of her own emotions and another person's from a 14 year old? That's really amazing.

Well, we are talking Tara. And we are talking about her empathesizing with people she loved -- Willow, her Mom.

Quote:
I will say that I would defiintely have put a transition in this part

Willow could have retrieved the photo and letters from under her pillow, but like you said, the structure has been established. Blame me for not suggesting it, for rushing myself through the reviewing.

Wait, why am I doing replies for Car? Huh? Hijacking threads are taking on a new dimension.

Back to fb.

Yes, this is the letter where Tara says to Willow, "I love you too". I was with Tara in wanting to hit Donnie when he tried to grab Willow's letter. It's PRIVATE!!! Love Tara confessing that she pretended she wasn't leaving, and how much she missed Willow. All of Willow, her friend Willow, her math tutor Willow ... her Willow.

And the pretend dream! That was a big surprise for me, and a very emotional one too. Tara watching Willow watching her. There's so much longing and a little heartbreak in that scene. You've hit just the right note, not too soppy but heartwrenching.

You're gonna tease the kittens aren't you? May be show one letter from each for the next 8 years, that's 16 updates. More sorbet. More flashback. I can just see it -- meeting under the tree roundabout Chapter 30?

You know I love this, I don't have to say more.

Last edited by watty on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:06 am 
9. Gay Now

Late, as usual. Such lovely, long feedback. So, Car, please forgive my short, mini paragraph. As I've told you earlier, I absolutely love what you're doing here and I'm glad to see that you decided to post. I don't have any indepth words right now, considering I still have to do homework, but I just thought I'd drop in and tell you how much I was enjoying your story.

Yvonne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:46 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Ya know, GayNow, this sitting in front of my computer crying at each update thing is getting old, so stop it already.

Tara's letter was so sad and so sweet. I really like getting the story through their flashbacks and letters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:50 am 
19. Yummy Face

Carleen, you made me cry :sob
Tara's letter was so, beautiful, so open & sincere, so much emotion for our sweet Tara to deal with. Beautiful, absolutely, breathtakingly beautiful. :x

I'm curious about Tara's mom, why was she sad? I suspect that she probably has an idea of how Tara feels about Willow? But, Tara seemed to think that her mom had lost someone she cared about, & knowing Tara, that's probably right. I'm definitely eager to learn more about that.

Now, this bit...
Quote:
Will you still go to our tree? Will you take someone else there?
...just about broke my heart. How can Tara even consider that Willow would ever even think about taking someone else to her & Tara's special place? Of course Willow won't take anyone else to their tree. Uhm, she won't, right? :paranoid

Oh, but then this part...
Quote:
Will you build little villages out of rocks and sticks like you used to do for me…so that I could draw them?
...just conjured up the cutest most adorable image ever :) Awwww :x

Oh, are we gonna get to read snippets from their diaries? 'Cos that would be so very sweet. :)
That whole section about keeping a diary so that they won't have missed out on any part of each other's lives was just adorable :x

& that whole last paragraph, I won't quote it all, 'cos it's rather long to quote it all, but, there were a few parts that I absolutely loved.

Quote:
I didn’t hear you come in or anything, I just sort of felt you…and I just knew you were there.

and...
Quote:
I guess I was smiling because I liked you looking at me like that.

and of course...
Quote:
I’m not sure if you know this or not, but…you reached out and grabbed my hand in your sleep. You held it next to your cheek. I was able to sleep again.

I have no words to describe the sweetness of that last paragraph, so, I think I'll settle for an awwwww :aww

Okay, I'm gonna finish with a big Thank You. Thank you for sharing this wonderful creation with us sweetie. :flower

Hugs
Jeanne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:12 am 
17. Mega-Witches

I hadn't even considered the possibility that Tara's rental car could break down. I hope her AAA membership is current. Oh, but she's been living overseas for the last several years. Well, most rental car companies offer roadside assistance in case of emergency, so I'm extremely relaxed about her 1-hour drive to Sunnydale.

(Isn't that canon, like Sunnydale is supposed to be just an hour away or something? Although I don't know why they were always dressed in sweaters if that was the case, and why we didn't see more W&T at the beach action.)

Anyway, I also want to chime in with how wonderful I think Tara's letter was. She's such a sensitive soul and seems so self-aware! I suspect that Tara always had an easier time accepting her sexual orientation than most folks (both on the show and in this story) because she does seem to have a pretty firm handle on who she is and what she believes at all times. Even if she is shy.

The other thing is, while I'm eager to read about their meeting, I also want to know more about what has transpired in the past few years between them, so I'm very happy with the pacing of your story and the slowly emerging revelations about their past. You're keeping me wanting more and I think that's a very good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:13 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Hi-ya Car...nice couple of updates...still got the good balance thing going on. Willow’s letter – very spastic feel to it, bouncing around her emotions yet communicating them in a way the reader could imagine Tara understanding. Tara’s letter – agreeing with Elvis here: very honest about her feelings (especially for that young). But I can totally see Tara writing it that way...I mean, after all, what does she have to lose by telling Willow what she feels? She’s moving so far away.

Now are you gonna drag out the inevitable meeting a little longer and have the kittens begging at your feet for it? Cause that sounds like something I would do...

Much love,
~Cyd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:15 am 
2. Floating Rose

Aww, my heart aches right now, and I so wanted to cry but I am at work!!

Car, what are you doing to us?? That letter was so sad, and intense and...
ahhh, I can't even think..

Love it, love it

Ceci

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:20 am 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Oh car, that was beautiful...so beautiful in fact, that I am going to have to borrow this response from you..... *sigh*.......nuff said."

xoxo
Emms

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:24 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
I'd like to make it clear, I don't cry. For I am a big, tough, manly man. It's just that it's allergy season. Or something in my eye. I have an allergy in my eye. Apparently they added a new allergy to the season this year, seeing as it never used to get me :sob

But as before, it's helped by the framing of the letter within the present-day, where everything Willow and Tara have been hoping for for so long is finally coming true. And I've got to say, I kind of like it without a real transition from the present to the letter, without, for instance, Willow pulling out the old letter, or thinking about it specifically. I'm kind of imagining Tara's voice fading in over the scene of Willow fidgeting :lol

I know that leg-bouncing thing all too well, it's a habit of mine :blush

Tara's letter... darn it, there go those newfound allergies again. But there was so much more than just loss and heartbreak, I loved the glimpses of Tara's family, especially Donnie. I'll be interested to see how their relationship develops once they settle into their new home - he's a brat (as most brothers seem genetically predisposed to be) but I wonder if Tara will find him standing up for her when they start attending school, rather than denying all knowledge of her. I may be right, I may be wrong - but I kind of like the Code of the Brother: the Brother may torment the Sister, but god help anyone else who lays a hand on her.

So we're what, five minutes closer to the meeting?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:43 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

"is pissed cuz she's not first and glares at meg" Hey Car! "waves" I finally get to sit down (although not good seeing as how i was sitting for 8 hours in a car!) and read this! Very short update, too short in fact! :( Willow's high anticipation has ME nervous...I wonder where she'g gonna go for two hours...hmm...Tara's letter to Willow was very cute, and rambly, which makes it even more cute! I hope you update soon! Turns out Im gonna have loads of computer time!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:23 am 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

Aww, that was soo frigging beautiful :x ... Love sam xx

"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong and those are the ones that change your life." - Jessie Sammler. [Evan Rachel Wood]

Credit for icon: lj user crazedxinsanity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:25 pm 
9. Gay Now

Hey there Speedy Updater! Two parts to comment on, and I am unfortunately feeling short of words. One thing that really struck me about both of these is that even though each was from one perspective, the use of the other's words through the letters made it feel like both Willow and Tara were in each update. Very nicely done. You also do a great job of writing their younger and current selves in a very seamless, realistic manner. Willow's nervous energy that forced her to leave her house rather than sit around waiting for three hours to pass is not a far stretch from the young girl who had to get up to write a letter in the middle of the night and then babbled her way through it. Likewise, Tara's panic over her letters possibly being in her lost luggage is a nice parallel to her protectiveness over the one she wrote on the plane years before.

I'm glad you gave me the tissue warning, cause this definitely gave me some sniffle moments. Both of them feel so alone moments after (hell, even BEFORE) they're separated...I can only imagine the buckets of angst in store as the years tick by. Willow's remarks about Tara being her only friend that mattered....such a painful thing to lose....and I'm already envisioning the conflicting emotions over the years as each makes new friends (the "does she like her/him more than she liked me"/ "have I been replaced" syndrome). I'm still impatient to know when/how/why they lost touch (and I can't help but think that's happened), but your frequent updates are great, and I have nothing but faith in you, buddy! :clap

-Cam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:57 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey there,
This part is just so sweet. I mean Tara is incredibly eloquent and honest for such a little kid. I love that she and Willow are already aware of how much they mean to each other. I've always thought that the type of correspondence where people write back and forth for years and save the letters is so romantic.

I love the little touches in this part: Tara's considering taking pictures of Donnie's drool and her saying that it was the first fight she ever had with her father. What I like is that those two things make it so clear that we're not dealing with anytype of cannon or cannon-worse AU here. They seem to be a"normal" family who had to move away. The emphasis is on W/T. Well done.

Waiting for another...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:32 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

car, ok it's ridiculously early in the story to say this, but this was easily my fav. installment so far. yes, tara is very emotionally astute for her age, but it really works because the language you use is so age appropriate, you're channelling your inner 15 yr. old beautifully. little moments, like "i pretended i wasn't leaving, too. I pretended a lot!" keep this firmly rooted to tara's age, even as she is wise beyond her years in so many ways.
donnie interactions were funny, seems like the kind of brother that would be a total pain to have, but would defend tara against anyone else picking on her if needed.
total "awww" moment when tara confesses she wasn't asleep, didn't see that coming, and i was going to quote something, but i loved the whole paragraph too much to pick any part out. good stuff car!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:41 am 
9. Gay Now

Wonderful letter in this update. I really like the simple way Tara shares everything that is happening to her. My favourite part was the last paragraph, the non-sleeping and the touch. It's so sad and frustrating for them to be in the postion of long distance friendship, not even relationship, and unsure how they will cope without the other. I know the feeling. I really look forward to reading your updates.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:50 am 
8. Vixen

I really don't know why I never read this story till now. I mean...I kept telling myself I had to but never did, till now. And I'm so glad I did...

I love the way you write your characters. :applause

I'm hooked. Please update as soon as you can.

Take care!

K.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:35 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

AWWWWWWW :aww why did Tara have to move!? But at least shes going to see willow soon right? and meet under their tree? I hope they do but i need an update to see what happens so update soon please?

ERIN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:06 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Here are replies, Kittens. I'm working on the next chapter. My goal is to have it posted by the end of the week. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

[hr]
Naeryn
[blockquote]Wow! Someone called "dibs on my fic! Cool!! I'm glad you're still enjoying, Megan. Yes, it will be a few more updates before they meet. We've got more letters, flashbacks and a diary entry or two (maybe). You're also correct in thinking the letters, etc. will continue after they meet. Eight years is a lot of time to cover and I want to do it justice. Thanks, Megan! [/blockquote]
[hr]
Leafsdude
[blockquote]So happy you like the Tara/Donnie interaction and that it's realistic. I have half siblings, but didn't grow up with them, so I don't have that experience--just going off friends' relationships with their brothers and sisters. There will be more letters, but not in the next chapter. And Tara's car won't break down, I promise. Thanks, Fencey! [/blockquote]

[hr]
The Rose24
[blockquote]Glad you're still enjoying the story. More to come by the end of the week -- I hope. Thanks! [/blockquote]
[hr]
eirnlove
[blockquote]Yep...I want the meeting day too. But other stuff has to come first. Thanks for reading! [/blockquote]
[hr]
JustSkipIt
[blockquote]Wow! You beat watson! :) I'm so glad you're enjoying the story. Your kind words mean a lot.

Quote:
this much understanding of her own emotions and another person's from a 14 year old? That's really amazing. Makes me think how parents always think that kids/teenagers don't know what "real love" feel like.

I agree -- teenagers and kids are so much more aware than adults give them credit for. I'm kind of channeling my inner 14/15 year old as I write this fic. It's the way I wrote, thought and spoke at that age--as did my friends. So I don't feel like I'm too off base. I hope others can see themselves at 14 or 15 in Willow and Tara. Thank you again, Debra![/blockquote]
[hr]
watson
[blockquote]Why are you doing my replies? Oh...yeah...cuz you can say things really well...that's why. :)

Yep, she'll always be Tara's Willow -- that's a given. At the time the letter was written, Tara is the only one who sees the complete Willow -- of course she's going to love the quirky redhead.

That pretend dream just sort of hit me. One second I was trying to come up with a plausible dream for Tara and the next second that entire paragraph was fully formed in my head. It was weird.

They’ll meet before chapter 30 (ya doofus). But...yeah....more sorbet...more flashbacks....more letters. Thanks, dear friend!![/blockquote]
[hr]
onyxsundrops
[blockquote]In my opinion, it doesn't matter when you join the party, just as long as you have a good time once you get there. :)

I'm really happy that you're enjoying my little story. I hope I can continue to keep everyone entertained. And no worries about the length of feedback--I'm just glad you stopped in. Thank you!![/blockquote]
[hr]
the hero factor
[blockquote]Oh don't cry! Everything will be okay in the end...we just have to go over a few bumps before we get there. I'm glad you're still enjoying. Thank you![/blockquote]
[hr]
kindagay
[blockquote]Oh no! More crying! I'm glad you liked Tara's letter, Jeanne. As for Tara's mom, I'm not revealing anything right now. You'll need to wait for that bit of information.

Yay for you! Tara's questions about Willow and the tree are the most poignant for me. I even teared up a bit when I wrote it. We'll have some diary snippets in the future...some from each of our girls. Thanks for the "aaaawwww." :) Your kind words mean a lot, Jeanne. Thanks![/blockquote]
[hr]
SallyMcFine
[blockquote]Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying the pacing. I want to build the readers' anticipation--much like Willow and Tara had 8 years to look forward to this day (regardless of the bumps along the way). I won't make the readers wait 8 years though. ;)

As for the distance from LA to Sunnydale, I'm putting it at about 2 hours--just cuz I can. :D

Thanks again! I hope you continue to enjoy.[/blockquote]
[hr]
hermitfish
[blockquote]Good to know you've been enjoying the updates and that you think I got the feel of Willow and Tara in their letters. Coming from one of my favorite writers, that's quite the compliment. Thank you!

Quote:
Now are you gonna drag out the inevitable meeting a little longer and have the kittens begging at your feet for it? Cause that sounds like something I would do...

Well, I have been learning from the best. :D[/blockquote]
[hr]
cebrau
[blockquote]Thanks for your continued support, Ceci. I really appreciate it. [/blockquote]
[hr]
Miss Kitty's Ball O' Yarn
[blockquote]I made Emms sigh! I think I'm going to faint. :thud[/blockquote]
[hr]
Artemis
[blockquote]You know, Chris, I think we are more alike than I would have guessed. I mean, I knew we had the action figure fascination in common. But now I find that we sort of think alike. I also imagined it as a cross fade with a voiceover...I'm visually oriented like that. Weird. AND I have the fidgety leg-bouncing thing too! Wow!

Darn those allergies, Chris! But I'm glad you're continuing to enjoy the story. I think we'll get more glimpses of Donnie--from Tara's point of view, of course.

Quote:
So we're what, five minutes closer to the meeting?

Oh no! I'd say it's more like 10. :D Thanks, Chris![/blockquote]
[hr]
LesbianJedi87
[blockquote]I'm happy you're still liking it, Rose. I'm sorry I haven't gotten an update posted yet--my muse is eating bon-bons on the couch. I'm hoping to have an update by the end of the week. Thanks, Rose![/blockquote]
[hr]
Irene73
[blockquote]Aaaawwww, Fajita...I'm just happy that you're enjoying my little story. Don't worry about late feedback. Thanks so much for the kind words, Irene. I'm really glad that you're feeling the emotions I was trying to convey in those letters. I guess I did something right. Cuz, hey, I turned you into a blubbering fool. :) And, yes, there is a little of me in the letters. There has to be otherwise I wouldn't know what to write. ;)[/blockquote]
[hr]
sam
[blockquote]Thanks so much, sam. I'm glad you liked it. [/blockquote]
[hr]
tarawhipped
[blockquote]Wow, Cam...I'm just all a-flutter from your wonderful words. All I can say is thank you so much! Your thoughts mean a lot to me. [/blockquote]
[hr]
Graceland
[blockquote]Thanks, Grace. Glad to know that the little details stood out for you. I've always though Tara deserved a kind, loving family. So I felt the need to give her one. I hope I can keep up the romance with future letters, flashbacks and diary entries. And, of course, I hope their eventual meeting is worthy of everyone reading what comes before it. Thank you so much! [/blockquote]
[hr]
meretricious
[blockquote]
Quote:
but this was easily my fav. installment so far. yes, tara is very emotionally astute for her age, but it really works because the language you use is so age appropriate, you're channelling your inner 15 yr. old beautifully. little moments, like "i pretended i wasn't leaving, too. I pretended a lot!" keep this firmly rooted to tara's age, even as she is wise beyond her years in so many ways.

Aaaawwww thanks, Mary! :blush I'm so happy that you feel I did Tara's letter justice. In both of those letters I really wanted to make sure that I was getting at the essence of who Willow and Tara are as people...and that the language and structure I used for each of them was accurate. I'm glad to know I did that right.

Donnie is the brother you love to hate and hate to love. He's a composite of about 4 people -- brothers of 4 of my friends. In many ways, he's the brother I wish I had (rather than the half brother who just doesn't know which way is up).

Thank you so much, Mary. It's so nice to know that you're keeping up with my story and enjoying it. [/blockquote]
[hr]
vix84
[blockquote]Thank you, Roz. I think the last paragraph and Tara asking the questions about Willow going to the tree are my favorite parts of that letter. I'm glad you liked it. Hopefully I'll have an update soon.[/blockquote]
[hr]
Kaia
[blockquote]I'm glad you stopped in! Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad you like the characters...I worked hard to make them accurate representations of our girls. Thank you so much. Update coming soon I hope. [/blockquote]
[hr]
AlysonGoddess
[blockquote]I'll be updating just as soon as I can, Erin. Thanks so much for keeping up with my story. I really appreciate it. [/blockquote]

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:12 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Title: Coming Back
Author: GayNow (Carleen)
Email: cmspry2@gmail.com
Feedback: Pretty please? Just remember, I leave feedback for you! Okay, maybe not for every update....but I try! And...and...I leave novellas. Okay okay....I'll be happy with a smilie face.
Distribution: Archiving is fine…please let me know where so I can call all my friends and yell, “Look! I’m famous!”
Rating: This part…PG…future parts…PG-13…will there be kisses and smut?…hmmm....dunno....we’ll see. I’ll make sure I give fair warning.
Disclaimer: BtVS characters, concepts and dialog belong to Mutant Enemy, Fox, The WB, UPN and others. The story, however, came out of my delusional little brain.
Summary: AU....no Hellmouth...no magic....no demons...no slayer....Willow and Tara made a solemn promise to each other 8 years ago.
Author’s Notes:
  • This fic was inspired by my own fic challenge (Third Time's a Charm). But...well...it sort of took on a life of its own. So, I decided to give it its own thread. I'm nice that way.
  • This is my first attempt at fic writing...or posting what I've written, anyway. And I have all of you wonderful kittens to thank for inspiring me. I'm not going to start listing off all of the individual authors, because that would just take too long. You know who you are...you've read my feedback...it's no secret who I worship.
  • I have to give special, super-dee-duper thanks to the lovely WATSON for so many things -- for putting up with me...for painstakingly reading chapters and sections and paragraphs and sentences...for dealing with me obsessing over j-u-u-u-u-u-u-st the right word...for serving as co-writer in many many many instances (if it's a REALLY good sentence or phrase...it's probably hers)...for simply being a friend and encouraging me (Okay...encouraging? She was kicking me in the ass is what she was doing!)
  • Thoughts in italics
  • Thanks to Chris Cook for the super spectacular title graphic!

Chapter 5

Buffy sat at her desk looking over the latest advertising mock-ups. Her drive to work that morning was blessedly uneventful – an achievement for which she was supremely grateful. Buffy was familiar with nearly every fire hydrant and light pole within the city limits…at least, the bumper of her car was. Being on a first name basis with half of the SDPD comes in handy sometimes though. Buffy internally snickered. Especially the cute ones.

It wasn’t hard to get to know the members of the SDPD. Sunnydale was a decent sized town, but small enough for neighbors to still know each other. Granted, it was no L.A., but the city had all the major conveniences, a large university, a healthy economy, and was growing quickly.

She’d been working for Sunnydale Advertising, Inc. for about two months and was determined to prove herself as a competent employee. But today, her focus was less on being competent and more on being done. Her gaze shifted from the mock-ups to the picture of herself and Willow at the side of her monitor. Buffy couldn’t hold in a loud giggle as she thought about her friend’s whirlwind activities earlier that morning. Typical Willow – completely wigged when the wiggins aren’t needed.

“Hey, Buffy, did you bring enough chuckles for the rest of the class?” The voice brought Buffy out of her brief moment of amusement. She looked up to see Xander Harris propped on the edge of her desk.

Buffy met Xander shortly after she started at SAI. He was the assistant manager in the printing department and heard that the new account rep in client services was “a bona fide hottie.” He felt it was his duty to introduce himself and welcome the new employee to the company. And Buffy did not disappoint – she was definitely a “hottie”. As soon as Xander spied Buffy for the first time, staring at the company’s vending machines with a puzzled expression, he approached the small blonde with his hand extended, intending to suavely introduce himself. Instead of “Hi, I’m Xander,” all that came from his mouth was “schpadoinkle!” followed by a furious blush. It was a manly blush, but a blush, nonetheless. Buffy couldn’t help but chuckle at the man before her and shook his proffered hand.

“Wow! That’s one heck of a name,” Buffy teased. “I’ll bet you had a hell of a time learning to spell that.”

A moment later, Xander regained the use of his brain and, realizing how incredibly goofy he must have looked, broke into a fit of laughter – a fit Buffy quickly joined.

“Xander Harris, actually…much easier to spell, but without the flashy charm,” he replied as he let go of Buffy’s hand.

“Nice to meet you, Xander. Buffy Summers.”

At that moment, each knew it was the beginning of a great friendship.

“Hey, Xan! What’s up? You ducking out of working again?” Buffy smiled at the shaggy-haired man at her desk.

“Hey! I resemble that remark,” he joked. “Actually, we’re all caught up for a change. Just waiting on the finals for the arcade campaign from Denise. Then we’ll be all ready for the Espresso Pump stuff next week.”

"That's great, Xander!" Buffy was genuinely pleased for her friend. Though she teased him about avoiding work, she knew that Xander took his job seriously...too many people were counting on him and his department getting the work done right.

"So, Buff, what's with the giggles and the 'I'm remembering stuff' face? Anything you want to share?"

"Oh! I was just thinking about Willow. She was a bit on the nervy side this morning and I can't help laughing when I think about it." The smile on Buffy's face told of her affection for her oldest and dearest friend.

"Willow...isn't she your friend who lives in L.A.?"

"Yeah, she's in town for an important meeting...staying with me for a while."

"All nervy, huh? Must be an important meeting. Some big job thing?"

"No, not exactly," Buffy said as she noticed the time on her desk clock. "Tell ya what, Mr. Assistant-Manager-with-too-much-time-on-his-hands, take me to lunch and I'll tell ya all about it."

"It's not even 11am, Summers...and you want to leave your desk?" Xander teased the blonde by placing the back of his hand on Buffy's forehead, pretending to check for fever. "You feeling okay?"

Buffy playfully swatted his hand away and giggled. "Give it up, Harris. You've always wanted to take me on a date, so here's your chance."

Xander bounced quickly to his feet and bowed at the waist. Standing upright again, he offered his arm to his friend.

"Let us make haste, fair maiden and…um…make like a tree and leave...or something like that."

Buffy linked her arm with Xander's and grinned. "Lead the way, kind sir."

Thirty minutes later, Buffy and Xander were sitting at an outdoor table at a nearby café. Buffy moved the remains of her Caesar’s salad around with her fork while Xander finished off his ketchup-covered fries.

“Wow!” Xander pondered as he chewed his food slowly. “So they haven’t seen or talked to each other in EIGHT years? That’s unreal.”

“Yeah, it’s a long time. I mean, they wrote to each other constantly – up until about a year ago – and Willow has written in her ‘Tara Diary’ every single day since Tara left. But that’s it – no phone calls, no visits. They emailed for a little while, but that didn’t work out.”

“Unreal. I said it before, but it bears repeating.” Xander shook his head and looked thoughtfully at the half-eaten pickle on his plate. “No phone calls? I can understand the lack of visits, but no phone?”

Buffy chuckled ruefully. “I know. I totally couldn’t imagine not being able to pick up the phone to call my best friend. But, I guess Tara’s family didn’t have a lot of money and already had a lot of expenses. Willow’s parents could afford it, but they said they’d rather buy Willow a computer so they could email each other. Plus, Willow could do her homework on it, maintain her diary and loads of other stuff. They called it ‘an investment in her future.’”

“Whoa! Harsh! Makes me feel even more grateful for my folks.”

“Oh, Will’s parents were really nice, actually. They love Willow a lot. And even though her mom kept forgetting my name, they always welcomed me into their home. They were just busy all the time and Willow got lonely. That just made her miss Tara even more.”

“Well, yeah, but she had you, Buff. Best friend to the rescue, right?”

“Sure, Xan…of course I was there for Will, but those two were BEST friends. Willow is the best friend I’ve ever had, and we’ll be friends until we’re old and gray; but even I knew I could never hope to have the status that Tara had in that department.”

Xander looked compassionately at his friend and reached over to cover her hand with his. “I’m sorry, Buffy. That must be tough for you.”

“What?” Buffy furrowed her brow in confusion, wondering what Xander was talking about. The realization suddenly dawned on her. “Oh! No, no! I don’t feel neglected in any way! I know Willow loves me; she’s never treated me as a ‘lesser friend’ in all the years I’ve known her. It’s just, the bond she’s had with Tara…well, was amazing…still is, I hope. No, Xander, being friends with Willow has never been tough.” Buffy placed her free hand over Xander’s and gave it a gentle squeeze to let him know she was grateful for his concern.

“That’s good, Buff. You deserve to have friends who treat you well.”

“Thanks, Xander. You’re one of them, you know,” Buffy looked pointedly at her friend to make sure he knew she meant what she said.

“Yeah, Buffy, I know.” Xander smiled at the blonde and gave her a wink. “Now, tell me, how did you meet Willow, anyway?”

“C’mon, let’s do the walk-n-talk thing again. We need to start back toward the office,” Buffy said as she stood up.

"Yeah, work awaits," Xander mock-sighed as he stood up and placed $20 on the table.

Buffy walked up to the main entrance of Sunnydale High School with more than just a bit of trepidation. It was her first day at a brand new school and she was nervous. Bad enough being the new kid…now I’m the new kid who didn’t start school on time. The school year had started 4 weeks earlier, but she and her mother had just arrived in Sunnydale the previous week.

As she made her way to the main office to pick up her schedule, Buffy made note of the other students bustling through the hall. They seem okay. No one is looking at me funny. There were teenagers everywhere – greeting friends, getting books from their lockers, making out with their girlfriends or boyfriends, generally making their way to class – doing the things one would expect at a typical American high school. Buffy entered the main office and approached the secretary at the main desk. The woman looked up and gave Buffy a rather toothy smile.

“Well, hello! You must be Buffy Summers. We’ve been expecting you.”

Buffy instinctively returned the effervescent woman’s smile and reached out to shake her hand.

“Yes, Buffy, that’s me.”

“Oh! Isn’t that darling?! Buffy Summers…very nice ring to it.” The woman then placed an index finger to each temple, stared intently at Buffy, and repeatedly murmured under her breath. After 20 seconds of this, she smiled widely once again and continued. “There! You are now a permanent fixture in my memory. I’m Mrs. Sloan, by the way.”

Buffy giggled and said a quick, “Nice to meet you.” Oh, I like her.

“Ah! Your schedule!” Mrs. Sloan quickly continued with her bubbly welcome. “You’ll have six classes and one study period. Let’s see…” The older woman lifted her reading glasses, which were hanging by a decorative chain around her neck, and looked at the schedule card in her hand. “Well, looks like your first class is Sophomore History. That’s in room 117 – go down the main hall and turn left just before you reach the stairs. Room 117 will be on your left.”

“Down the hall, left at stairs, room on left…got it. Thank you so much, Mrs. Sloan.”

“Now, your teachers are expecting you and will have prepared a bit of extra work for you so you can catch up on what you’ve missed. Just chat with each of them after class.” Mrs. Sloan noticed Buffy’s shoulders slump and heard the girl’s small whimper. “Oh, it shouldn’t be too hard, dear. But if you need help, you just bring yourself back here and see me. I’m sure I can help you find someone to assist your studies. I know every student in this school." Mrs. Sloan beamed with pride.

“Thank you, again, Mrs. Sloan. I’ll definitely come to you if I have any trouble.”

“That’s good, dear.” At that moment, the bell rang. “Oh! That’s the warning bell. You have two minutes to get to your class…off you go!” And with that, the woman nudged Buffy out the door.

The door to room 117 closed behind Buffy just as the final bell rang. All eyes turned toward her. Of course. So much for being discrete. The teacher stood up from behind his desk and walked toward Buffy. “Can I help you?”

“Um, yeah…yes…I’m sorry. This is my first day.”

The balding man looked at the roster in his hand and then looked at Buffy. “Miss Summers, I presume.” He raised one eyebrow and looked at her over the rim of his glasses.

“Yes, sir. Buffy. Buffy Summers.”

“Very well, Miss Summers. Welcome. Please take an empty seat and see me briefly after class.”

With a nod and a small grin, Buffy made her way through the rows of students taking a seat near the back of the room. Okay. Pretty painless so far. She turned her attention to the teacher as he began to speak.

“Okay, everyone…Chapter 3…Battle of Antietam.”

Buffy watched as everyone around her pulled out their books and began to open them to chapter 3. She was just about to raise her hand when she felt a tap on her shoulder. Buffy turned around to see a petite redhead one row to her right and one seat back handing her a textbook.

“Here, you can use mine until you get your own.” The redhead gave Buffy a small smile.

“Um, thanks. Wanna share?”

“That’s okay. Go ahead. I don’t need it.”

Buffy looked perplexed. “Don’t you need to look at the chapter, too?”

The redhead tapped her head with an index finger and explained. “Photographic memory. I’ve already read ahead through chapter 6. It’s okay.”

“Wow!” Buffy was impressed. “Well, thanks!”

“No problem.”

Buffy wanted to say more but the other girl had already turned her attention back to her notebook. Buffy blinked once then turned back to listen to the day’s lesson. A few minutes later, Buffy glanced back at the owner of the book. She seems nice. But…but there’s something in her eyes…

When the bell rang indicating the end of class, Buffy gathered her things and returned the book to the redhead.

“Thanks again. I really appreciate the loaner.” Buffy smiled at the other girl.

“Like I said, not problem, really. Do you want to keep it overnight?”

“Oh, no, that’s okay. I’ll get all of my books today after school.” Buffy smiled sheepishly and asked, “Um, do you know where I go to do that?”

The redhead chuckled as she retrieved the book from Buffy and slipped it into her bag. “Yep. The one place no one ever wants to go – the library. It’s all the way at the other end of this hall – past the stairs.”

“Wow! Thanks…again…you’ve been very helpful. I’m Buffy Summers.”

“Willow Rosenberg. Nice to meet you.” Willow looked at the clock. “We should probably get going – don’t want to be late next period. Want me to walk you to your next class so you don’t get lost?”

“Oh, that’s okay. I have to go see the teacher, anyway. They all have extra work for me so I can play ‘catch-up’. But, maybe I’ll see you around?” Buffy gave Willow a hopeful look. I could really use a new friend…I think you can too.

“Well, you’ll definitely see me in here tomorrow morning. But, yeah, we’ll probably bump into each other. The place isn’t that big. See ya later.” Willow smiled once more at Buffy, and then turned to walk to her next class.

“Bye!”

It was another two weeks before Buffy found Willow alone. She saw the quiet redhead every day in history class, but there wasn’t an opportune time to chat. Willow always seemed to be tutoring someone in something during lunchtime and after school. One day, Buffy finally saw Willow sitting alone under a tree in the school courtyard. Since her first day at SHS, when Willow was so nice to her, Buffy was determined to become friends with her. She just hadn’t had the opportunity to talk with Willow more than a quick greeting every morning in class. It’s now or never, Summers. Get over there and make a friend.

Buffy walked toward the tree where Willow sat. She noticed that her potential friend was bent over what looked like a journal, writing furiously. Every once in a while, Willow would pause and her brow would crinkle in thought. Then she would return to her writing. Buffy stopped for a moment and reconsidered her plan. Maybe she doesn’t want to be bothered…No. No! I’m going to go over there and talk to her, darn it. She resumed her walk and when she reached a reasonable distance – not too close in case she was intruding, but not so far away so that she had to yell – she made her presence known.

“Um, Willow?” The redhead snapped her head around quickly with a frown, as if wondering who dared to interrupt her quiet time. Buffy took a hesitant step backward and quickly began her apologies. “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bother you. I’ll just go…away…we can talk another time.”

“No! I’m the one who should be sorry, Buffy.” The redhead looked embarrassed, yet pleased to have company. “You don’t have to leave. I was just so lost in my own world that hearing my name startled me. Um, you can sit down if you want to. It’s okay.” Willow smiled at the blonde and moved some of her things out of the way.

Buffy let out a small sigh of relief and sat down across from Willow. “Thanks. You know, trying to catch up with you when you’re not talking to someone else is almost impossible. You’re like Little-Miss-Popularity.”

“Not quite,” Willow laughed as she replied. “More like ‘The-Only-Person-Gullible-Enough-To-Tutor-Everyone.’ I’m definitely not popular.”

Buffy noticed that Willow didn’t seem bothered by a lack of popularity. She was comfortable with her social position at the school. “Well, popularity isn’t everything, anyway. As long as you’re happy with yourself, that’s all that’s important,” Buffy stated and gave a quick nod to reify her assertion.

Willow giggled and then with an air of conviction said, “I couldn’t agree more.”

The girls spent a few moments in comfortable laughter. She can laugh! I guess she needs a friend more than I thought. Once the laughter subsided, Willow continued their conversation.

“So how are you doing with that extra reading and homework, Buffy?”

The smile left the blonde’s face. “Er…um…various sounds of hesitation…”

“Buffy, you really need to get caught up, you know. Midterms are coming up in a few weeks.”

“I know, but, I’ve just never been one for doing extra work. It’s hard to get motivated.” Buffy knew she could get caught up if she just put in the time and effort. But she found that she got bored easily. Sitting around for hours, doing nothing but reading, wasn’t exactly her definition of a good time. Buffy liked having fun.

“I could help you if you want.” Willow’s eyes suddenly got very wide. “Oh…not that I think you’re stupid and can’t do it by yourself or anything…I’m not being all ‘tralala I’m so smart so I should be helping you’…I mean…if you don’t want my help you just have to say so…but I’d be willing to help you…get motivated…if you want.”

Buffy couldn’t contain her laughter. “That’s the most I’ve heard you say since I met you, Willow. How do you do that without breathing?”

The redhead chuckled; she seemed glad that she hadn’t offended Buffy. “It’s a gift. Though, I will admit, that’s the first time I’ve babbled in a long time.”

“Well, you do it well. And thanks for the offer, but I don’t want to impose. You are already helping enough people, I don’t want to ask you to add me to your already large burden.”

“You didn’t ask, did you? I offered. Besides, I never said I would be tutoring you. I said I would help you get motivated. We could study together if you want. Do you have your schedule with you?”

Buffy dug into the bottom of her bag and pulled out the crumpled piece of paper. She flattened the sheet out on her thigh before handing it to Willow.

“Oh, cool. I can definitely help you with these. I’ve taken these classes already,” Willow said as she eyed the schedule.

“You mean, you’re a junior? Why are you in Sophomore History then?” Buffy asked in confusion.

“Oh, no. I’m a sophomore, too. I, um, I took these classes in summer school.” Willow shrugged and continued. "People say I'm an over achiever, but I just get bored during the summer so I go to school. Next summer I’m going to take some courses at the community college, too…that way I can get college credit before I even get to college…and I can graduate early. So if I want to go to graduate school, it won’t seem like I’ve been in school forever and I can get to my career faster…and you must think I’m the biggest geek alive…”

Buffy fell over onto her side, laughing uncontrollably.

“See? I’m right. You’re laughing at me.” Willow crossed her arms over her chest and mock glared at Buffy.

“No…no…I’m…not.” Buffy struggled to contain her laughter, wiping away the tears from her eyes. A few moments later, Buffy gained enough control over herself to sit up and look at her new friend. “Honest, I’m not laughing at you. It’s just, well, I like talking to you. You do make me laugh, but in a good way, not in a ‘laughing-at-you’ way. You’re fun.”

Willow blushed at the compliment and returned the blonde’s smile. “Thanks, Buffy. I like talking to you, too.”

“So, when do we study?”

“We were pretty much inseparable after that.” Buffy said with a smile as she and Xander continued their walk back to the office. “Thanks to Willow, I studied more than I ever did before. Not because she forced me to or had to tutor me, but because it was just fun hanging out with her. So, I didn’t mind studying. It was nice to have her around when I was stuck on a math problem though.” Buffy shuddered slightly at the thought.

“So, how did, er, does Tara fit into all of this?”

“Well, eventually, Will told me all about Tara…about them being best friends for so long, about their letters, about the diary they were each keeping – that was what she was writing in when I went up to her that day. I heard so much about Tara; it felt like I knew her. Sometimes Willow would read Tara’s letters to me. And other times she would let me read her letters to Tara.”

When Buffy started to giggle, Xander raised one eyebrow and looked at her. “What’s so funny?”

“Well, a few times, Willow would let me write stuff in the margins of the letters she wrote to Tara – just for fun. I guess it was her way of introducing me to Tara – letting one best friend say hello to the other.”

“Sounds like you two had a lot of fun together.”

“Definitely. We still do. You see? Tara was already a force in her life when I showed up. There was no way for me to compete with that and I didn’t want to…I didn’t need to. There’s enough room in Willow’s life for me AND Tara.” Buffy smiled as she thought about the size of her friend’s heart and Willow’s capacity to love.

Xander smiled, too, knowing that Buffy had a friend she could rely on. “That’s great, Buff. I can’t wait to meet her.”

“Oh you will, Xan…you will,” Buffy chuckled as the two entered their office building.

Xander walked Buffy back to her desk. “Thanks for the chat, Buffy. I had a good time. I’ll catch up with you tomorrow, okay? You’ve gotta let me know how their meeting went.” Xander grinned widely and bounced on his toes in excitement.

“You got it, Harris. Thanks for lunch. Now get going and go try to do some work.” Buffy gave her friend a good-natured wink as he walked through the door, heading back to his office. Buffy settled down to work, glancing at her watch.

I wonder what Willow is doing now?

Frivolous Views

Last edited by GayNow on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:15 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Dibs?

ETA: okay, I think this is the last time I will play the dibs game. Too much stress and worry and GUILT.

Car, I loved this update. I feel like this story is going to be extremely multi-dimensional. I very much like it that we got to see Buffy's backstory and part of Xander's as well. It's starting to feel like a well-furnished apartment with a lot of different kinds of interesting furniture that serves different purposes, a lot to interest the eye.

I may come back and edit this post some more later on.

ETA 2nd time: the part where Buffy tells Xander that Willow and Tara haven't talked or written at all for a year is very curious! Curiouser and curiouser. Perhaps they have had some kind of falling out. Willow's 'will she hate me?' also makes me wonder if Willow dated someone and Tara freaked. But somehow, that doesn't seem likely. Hmmmm...

I can't wait till they meet and are pregnant under the tree in the next chapter. I think that that pacing will be just perfect. :lol

Last edited by FineyMcFine on Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:16 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Ooooooo Oooooo *jumping up and down* I get to be first this time! I get to be first! okay....now I have to read. :-D I'll be back.

ETA Damn! Sally, you beat me to it! :lol

*smoothly* Enter the Xand man...... :glasses

Wow, carr, what an amazing update. It should have been entitled the Buffy update. :lol I really enjoyed the fact that we got a deeper look into Buffy's character and the role she really plays in both Xander and Willow's life.

And the part where Buffy tells Xander how she and Willow met was just so cute and I thought Xander's dialogue was right on. I could so totally picture him saying some of the things he said.

wonderful update sweetie, and well worth the wait. :-D But you really are trying to draw out the whole Willow and Tara coming back together thing aren't you? hehe.

xoxo
Emms

Last edited by Emms on Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Fic: Coming Back (Updated 7/30/05)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:19 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

I WANT DIBS! :(

Anyway...posting twice aside!! hehe CAR! "waves" Thank you so much for updating! I needed this...needed it like a fat kid needs chocolate (no offense to anyone of course hehe)

This was an awesome update! :applause
Good to get some backstory with Buffy and WILLOW. Lovely trip down memory lane! :x It was great!
Im hoping the next update will have Willow and Tara FINALLY meeting eachother, yes? Are ya shaking your head? Better be!! I wont pressure you in updating soon, take your time! :D

Last edited by LesbianJedi87 on Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:23 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

NOOOOO! *breakdown*

Fine. Third. I can deal... *deep breaths*

SHIT, you mean I have to be FOURTH?! DAMMIT!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:31 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Car, honey, I have a new appreciation of you. First, your single-minded determination to get this update posted by the deadline you set yourself. Yeah, you were a little late (1 hr 12 mins to be exact) but I think 95% of the "delay" was me being distracted by the stupid bank or snogging my gf or just reading slowly. Second, your attention to detail, and the desire to get every single word, no every single word and punctuation and even section break right, wow! The M in CM Spry stands for Meticulous, doesn't it?

I feel so awestruck to have been involved in every single step in the writing of this chapter, and now, leisurely reading it from beginning to end in one sitting (as opposed to bits and pieces, or final read through with my beta hat), it's like sitting in the garden enjoying a nice pot of strong Earl Grey tea, dainty cucumber sandwiches and a thick slice of Victoria sponge. Not scones, I don't really like scones, though I make them very well.

You thought people won't like this chapter? I think you'll be proven wrong. Not all of us are looking for fics where Tara tells Willow that she's having W's baby cos she discovered a magick spell that enabled her to get pregnant even though they're miles apart :lmao (drat, I don't have the exact quote, did you save it?) You're unfolding the story nicely, telling the backstory, adding layers about Buffy and Willow's meeting, and drawing in regulars like Buffy and Xander. Yes, we can write a fic that has only W and T present (I can do that, heck I almost did that with CA), but in reality, they have friends and the presence of people like Buffy, Xander, Anya, even Mrs Sloan, adds to the depth of a story.

I'm in a long-winded mood btw. gf decided not to go out this afternoon so I have oodles of time.

Buffy. You've captured her perfectly. From the atrocious driving, to noticing SDPD officers, to her determination to a) be a good employee and b) be motivated at school. She's is a very bright person, she gets given too many blonde moments on the show, it's not fair on her.
Quote:
Buffy liked having fun.

That's our Buffster alright.

The high school flashback showed a side of Buffy that I feel we lost when they left HS. Her EQ, esp towards Willow; wanting to be friends, to make whatever is making Willow unhappy go away. That Willow will always be
Quote:
her oldest and dearest friend

is unquestionable. They are like the soul-mates of best friend. Even at their first meeting, Willow lending her book to Buffy, then to their second meeting, when Buffy managed to make Willow laugh, forget about missing Tara and babble for a little. This Buffy I like very much.

Xander. A good introduction. Goofy but without the stupidity.
Quote:
"Let us make haste, fair maiden and…um…make like a tree and leave...or something like that."

:lol it's the "or something like that" that makes me chuckle, it's soooo Xander-like. Oh yeah, it's unusual to have a fic where Xander and Willow didn't grow up together, but I'm sensing that they'll hit it off quickly when they do meet, so looking forward to that.

Willow. Not the focus of this chapter, but actually the majority of this chapter has her in it, even more so than Buffy. I can taste her loneliness, of missing Tara, of basically how empty her life has been. Even Buffy noticed at their first meeting,
Quote:
She seems nice. But…but there’s something in her eyes…

The only thing that seemed to interest her (apart from Tara) is school. Is it me but is
Quote:
I just get bored during the summer so I go to school.

really sad? Not that going to school isn't good, but having so little in her life that she has to fill it by going to school ... that's really :sob

Trust Buffy to bring back the happy and babbly Willow, albeit temporarily:
Quote:
“Oh…not that I think you’re stupid and can’t do it by yourself or anything…I’m not being all ‘tralala I’m so smart so I should be helping you’…I mean…if you don’t want my help you just have to say so…but I’d be willing to help you…get motivated…if you want.”

again it's the asides that got me :lol this time it's the last "if you want", spoken softly and with wide, pleading eyes. I'm glad she offered to help Buffy, it's a departure from canon, but in a good way. You really have struck a balance between descriptions and dialogue. :clap

Tara. Though she wasn't even present in this chapter, I could feel her presence constantly. She is never far from Willow's mind, and having Buffy fill in the backstory that
Quote:
they wrote to each other constantly ...
Willow has written in her ‘Tara Diary’ every single day since Tara left

plus Tara doing the same thing. It's backstory and exposition, but it doesn't feel like exposition, you get what I'm saying?

But, uh oh! Trouble in paradise looming.
Quote:
[they wrote to each other]up until about a year ago ...
They emailed for a little while, but that didn’t work out.

That sounds ominous. :hmm well, I won't mention too much, in case I spoil it for the readers. Heehee, I have privileges. :glasses

Finally, how can I not mention Mrs Sloan.
Quote:
The woman then placed an index finger to each temple, stared intently at Buffy, and repeatedly murmured under her breath .... “There! You are now a permanent fixture in my memory."

I just wanna give her a giant big hug, she's such a dear! Oh, and
Quote:
reading glasses, which were hanging by a decorative chain around her neck

Perhaps it's a rainbow chain?

Wow. Is this fb longer or SAI final fb longer? Does it matter :lol I'm not clamouring for W/T meeting under the tree, I'm happy to be along for the ride. You'll get us there eventually, and when we do, it'll be magic! I'm so proud of you :bow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:13 am 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

Ooh that was so great!! :x . Love sam xx

"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong and those are the ones that change your life." - Jessie Sammler. [Evan Rachel Wood]

Credit for icon: lj user crazedxinsanity

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next