The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Fic: Coming Back (Updated 7/30/05)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:31 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Ok, I could go and read what looks like an update to Art of Burning Bridges but I should go ahead and write my feedback and being the type of person who always does what they should, I think I will.

I'm quite impressed with this chapter because it breaks the prior mold. Buffy's story is so wonderfully told and it's nice to bring in Xander as a close friend and obvious non-romantic lead. I like that Buffy can see just how wonderful Willow is without feeling less than for not being Tara. And I'm sure that Willow loves Buffy too. All of Buffy's reminices are very warm and detailed, showing her genuine affection for Willow and even for Tara.

I'm concerned, however, that if you bring in Buffy's updates and add them to Tara's and Willow's moment by moment travel toward the tree that it could take 40 rather than 25 updates to get them there. This could make us all totally crazy, however well done.

This seemed familiar to me:

Quote:
There! You are now a permanent fixture in my memory. I’m Mrs. Sloan, by the way.”
So I went and looked. Conscious effort on your part or conicidence? If conscious, thanks.

I'm concerned about their not writing for a year. What's up with that?

Then the other thing is that it's impossible to tell if Buffy gets that W/T are more than friends or will be more than friends. Of course it's also possible that W/T don't know it but they're 22-23 years old. Shouldn't they have all figured this out by now? Or is it that Buffy understands but doesn't want to tell Xander and put up with his moronic interest in the girl on girl? Either way, I hope it's not too much of a shock.

Well, I'm leavinig for the beach in the morning but I'll expect an update or two when I get back. Lol. Have a great week.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:49 am 
5. Willowhand

I think I've neglected some feedback for this story. I read the last two updates in one sitting and- just, wow. Love Tara's response to Willow's letter. It must have been comforting for Willow to read that and know that she was not the only one who felt like that, yet utterly heartbreaking at the same time since Tara was going to be so far away.

I liked how you addressed that they haven't spoken on the phone either. International phone calls are uber-expensive. Heck, out of state phone calls break the bank if you stay on longer than, like, a minute.

Liked how you showed Willow being all fidgety. I know I get like that when I am really nervous and could totally picture her being all twitchy. Also liked the introduction of Xander, seeing as how you've changed the backstory between Willow and Xander. Really liked how Buffy actually noticed that there was something in Willow's eyes that spoke of something missing from her life. Also, the line about her going to school year round to fill Tara's void was very heartbreaking.

I wonder if Buffy knows that the feelings of friendship Willow has for Tara goes way beyond a typical idea of friendship? Was this addressed or am I getting ahead of myself?

I am so anxious to see their reunion. I hope that it isn't awkward after eight years. Hopefully, our girls will have a nice reunion without the awkwardness. If not, I have faith that you will eventually get them to the cute girfriend stage. :)

Great updates...

... and wow did I babble on with this post!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:34 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

:shock WOW!!!

I mean, WOW with some WOOHOO and a little YIPPEE!!! I love this story Carleen. I fell right into this story :read and it got me, it got me good :applause !!! The letter that Willow wrote to Tara had me in tears :happycry (my masculinity is slowly getting smaller, heehee) and then the letter that Tara wrote back had me in tears again :happycry (I think I am going to be heading to the gym :glasses after this feedback, LOL). Anyhoo, what a treat to find your work :bounce . Great, fantastic, super, sweet, kind, gentle, loving, just to say a few. I really hope to see more soon. Take care and smiles. =)

"I've always believed it doesn't matter who you sleep with. What's important is how you treat people." - Amber Benson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:18 pm 
3. Flaming O

Car, this update had seriously a lot of great lines and parts. I liked
Quote:
Buffy was familiar with nearly every fire hydrant and light pole within the city limits…at least, the bumper of her car was.
Lol. and this
Quote:
Buffy met Xander shortly after she started at SAI.
had me wondering about another SAI we've seen lately on this board. Possibly a shoutout? Cool that. The spedoinkle line is so classically un-smooth that it's just priceless. So well done. I'm most concerned about
Quote:
wrote to each other constantly – up until about a year ago – and Willow has
Why the year with no contact? Everyone else seemst to be guessing that Willow was dating but could it be the other way around? Was Tara dating or something else? It makes me remember that the other day (ok a few hours) Willow wondered if Tara hated her. So not good. Anyway, I'm babbling a la Willow but this update is really wonderful for giving us more insight into willow as well as providing a more rounded view of everything Sunnydale. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:24 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Thank you, everyone!
[hr]
SallyMcFine
[blockquote]
Quote:
It's starting to feel like a well-furnished apartment with a lot of different kinds of interesting furniture that serves different purposes, a lot to interest the eye.

That's a great way of looking at it, Sally. Thank you so much -- what a wonderful compliment.
Quote:
the part where Buffy tells Xander that Willow and Tara haven't talked or written at all for a year is very curious! Curiouser and curiouser.

Well, that was my evil master plan. :devil
Quote:
I can't wait till they meet and are pregnant under the tree in the next chapter. I think that that pacing will be just perfect.

:lmao Oh yes, my REAL master plan!

I'm so glad you're still liking the story, Sally. Thank you so much for reading along. [/blockquote]
[hr]
Miss Kitty’s Ball O Yarn
[blockquote]
Quote:
I really enjoyed the fact that we got a deeper look into Buffy's character and the role she really plays in both Xander and Willow's life.

I'm a sucker for "The Buffy That Could Have Been" -- I really wanted to put her in here as the Buffy we would have enjoyed watching on the show.
Quote:
But you really are trying to draw out the whole Willow and Tara coming back together thing aren't you?

Again, you all are so aware of my master plan! I really need to have that locked up in a safety deposit box or something. ;)

Emms, thanks so much for reading my little story and for adding your kind words to my thread. It's so very appreciated. :x [/blockquote]
[hr]
LesbianJedi87
[blockquote]
Quote:
Im hoping the next update will have Willow and Tara FINALLY meeting eachother, yes?

Um...no...but it's coming soon...I promise! Just a few more things we need to get out of the way first. But I promise I will keep trying to fill in the gaps and answer the questions people have been asking. AND the fic isn't going to stop after they meet...so that's good, right? :flirt

I'm really happy you're still enjoying the story, Rose. Thank you so much for your support. [/blockquote]
[hr]
Naeryn
[blockquote]Awwww, Megan...it's okay, sweetie. Once you have time to read the chapter and leave feedback, you'll get your very special reply. I promise. [/blockquote]
[hr]
watson
[blockquote]:thud

Holy Lengthy Feedback, Batman! That may have been longer than chapter 3!

My friend, there isn't much I can say to you in this reply that I haven't already said during our many many .... MANY conversations surrounding this story. You're my true guiding force on this fic, and I simply can't thank you enough.

Your constant support is so encouraging. Thanks so much for letting me argue with you over words and phrases...and occassionally giving in and letting me have my way. :lmao

Love ya, pumpkin! [/blockquote]
[hr]
sam
[blockquote]Thanks, sam! Glad you're still enjoying. [/blockquote]
[hr]
JustSkipIt
[blockquote]
Quote:
I like that Buffy can see just how wonderful Willow is without feeling less than for not being Tara. And I'm sure that Willow loves Buffy too. All of Buffy's reminices are very warm and detailed, showing her genuine affection for Willow and even for Tara.

Thanks for that, Debra. As I've mentioned earlier, I really wanted to write Buffy in such a way that *I* could feel comfortable with her around, so that *I* would like her as a character. I think she was really done an injustice on the series, particularly after season 3 -- I wanted to write the Buffy that could have been.
Quote:
I'm concerned, however, that if you bring in Buffy's updates and add them to Tara's and Willow's moment by moment travel toward the tree that it could take 40 rather than 25 updates to get them there.

:lmao Oh that's funny! No worries...I'll get them there sooner than that. I promise.
Quote:
I'm concerned about their not writing for a year. What's up with that?

Then the other thing is that it's impossible to tell if Buffy gets that W/T are more than friends or will be more than friends. Of course it's also possible that W/T don't know it but they're 22-23 years old. Shouldn't they have all figured this out by now? Or is it that Buffy understands but doesn't want to tell Xander and put up with his moronic interest in the girl on girl? Either way, I hope it's not too much of a shock.

All in due time...all in due time. ;)

Thanks so much for keeping up with my story, Elvis. It's such a compliment to have you reading and saying nice things in your feedback. I truly appreciate it. [/blockquote]
[hr]
Willow~Rosenberg
[blockquote]
Quote:
I think I've neglected some feedback for this story. I read the last two updates in one sitting and- just, wow.

No worries...feedback when you have time. It's all good.
Quote:
Really liked how Buffy actually noticed that there was something in Willow's eyes that spoke of something missing from her life. Also, the line about her going to school year round to fill Tara's void was very heartbreaking.

The observant, good-friend Buffy...gotta love her. I too thought it was heartbreaking that Willow would go to summer school because of missing Tara so badly. But, if anyone would use school as an escape, it would be Willow.
Quote:
I wonder if Buffy knows that the feelings of friendship Willow has for Tara goes way beyond a typical idea of friendship? Was this addressed or am I getting ahead of myself?

It hasn't been directly addressed...but I think Buffy has hinted at it here and there. More about this will be revealed soon. But, suffice it to say, my Buffy is more intuitive about emotions than JW's.

Thank you so much for reading and for your kind words. I'm glad you're enjoying. [/blockquote]
[hr]
Tarababy77
[blockquote]Aaron, welcome to my thread! I don't think your status as a manly-man is in jeopardy...so you just get as teary-eyed as you want, sweetie. And I probably just contradicted saying you're a manly-man by calling you "sweetie". Okay...get to the gym! :lmao

Thank you so much for making your way to my story. I'm so glad you enjoy it. I hope I can keep your interest. I'll update just as soon as I can. [/blockquote]

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:38 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Graceland
[blockquote]Hey there! You slipped in your feedback while I was posting replies...I didn't see ya there. :wave

Thanks for catching the LOL moments. I'm glad you found them humorous...I know I did (obviously, I wrote them :lol).

And, yes, using SAI was a shoutout. :D
Quote:
Why the year with no contact? Everyone else seemst to be guessing that Willow was dating but could it be the other way around? Was Tara dating or something else? It makes me remember that the other day (ok a few hours) Willow wondered if Tara hated her. So not good.

Never fear...all will be revealed in time. And there will obviously be a happy ending. Just a few little bumps in the road to make it interesting and keep everyone guessing.

Thanks so much, Grace. I really appreciate your words. Glad you're still enjoying my little story.[/blockquote]

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:01 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Okay, now that I've actually read this thing...

Very well done! :bow

I like how you showed Buffy's thoughts on it all. Willow not knowing Xander? Don't see that very often. All in all it was very cute. Willow's babble was great... though my heart gave a little lurch when I read "I haven't babbled in a long time..."

I can't wait for Willow and Tara's meeting! :bounce

You know, I like what you did with Buffy and Xander. Gave them a bit more dignity than Joss has. Buffy is still very much herself, but without the idiotic 'give me an A!' bit. Xander, still a big goof, but more of a big brother, teddy bear kind of guy than the asshole he turned into in season six.

So. When's Willow's baby due? :lmao

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:17 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 1
:bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

Update! Update! Update! Update! Update! Update! YAY!

*Calms down*

Ahem, my appologies, but...Update!

Glad you got Xander in there. Can wait 'til he and Willow meet. Will they meet? I hope they meet...

Love Buffy in the flashbacks with her mixed tendencies (she's so sure of herself and stubborn but yet lazy and self-conscious). I loved how you wrote the beginning of their relationship. So sweet. :)

I'll be waiting for your next update!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:07 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

So Car, I think I'm gonna suggest to the mods that they include a rule to make sure that there is W/T interaction in every update. Cause ya know, I think you just upped the angst level and left us all hanging then come back with a chapter that doesn't really have our girls in it. Not that this wasn't a great update and all, cause it was. The dialogue between Xander and Buffy was canon yet not. Does that make sense? I liked the way that it developed the story and moved it along, even without our girls. I can dig it. Now, back to our previously scheduled W/T fic. :-D Please?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:58 pm 
9. Gay Now

Okay, Car....I take back all the groaning and sighing and spazzing in anticipation of an update that was pretty much All Buffy. That was simply great...loved the descriptions of how they became friends as well as the different dymanics you've set up (making Xander Buffy's coworker instead of Willow's lifelong friend) while still keeping the characterizations we know and love. Having Buffy explain the sitch to Xander answered some of the questions I had, even if I'm not entirely pleased with the use of him as stand-in for your audience. :p So they never got to even TALK to each other for 8 years??? "Whoa! Harsh!" is right (and I'm not going to forgive you for making me quote Xander). AND I still want to know what happened a year ago...Willow's moved to L.A., but hello! Mail forwarding? She's been your friend forever and you can't fill out a change of address card??? *sigh* Seriously, Car....I love this and can't wait to find out more, such as:
Quote:
I wonder what Willow is doing now?
Oooooh!!!! Are we going to find out over the course of 5-7 updates? :-D

-Cam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:49 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Just a bit more feedback for folks. Trying to keep on top of things. The more feedback I get, the more motivated I am to write and get the next chapter posted. So let me know what you think, Kittens. :)
[hr]
Naeryn
[blockquote]Thanks, Megan! I'm really glad you like Buffy and Xander. I really wanted to make them the characters *I* wanted to see on the show. So many more possibilities for them than Joss offered.
Quote:
though my heart gave a little lurch when I read "I haven't babbled in a long time..."

Yeah...my heart gave a little lurch when I wrote that. I really wanted to show the difference in Willow after being without Tara for over a year...and the influence that Buffy had on her to bring back some of the babbling redhead we all know and love.
Quote:
So. When's Willow's baby due?

:lmao Not really sure. We'll have to wait and see.

Thanks, again, Megan. Glad you're along for the ride. [/blockquote]
[hr]
Leafsdude
[blockquote]Wow! Look at all the bouncy guys! Thanks, Fencey! Yes, Willow and Xander will meet....Buffy will make sure of that. I'm glad you liked how Buffy and Willow met...I wanted to have a smidgen of canon in there, but I also wanted to turn it on its ear a bit. So I'm happy it worked. Yay for Fencey reading my fic and leaving feedback. Thank you![/blockquote]
[hr]
terra21
[blockquote]
Quote:
I think you just upped the angst level and left us all hanging then come back with a chapter that doesn't really have our girls in it.

:lol Okay, really the angst level in this fic is very low...admit it. It's not...oh...Lamplight or Neverland, ya know. :p I promise, they will be together under their tree soon. And the next update will be W/T centered...no, it's not the meeting.
Quote:
The dialogue between Xander and Buffy was canon yet not. Does that make sense? I liked the way that it developed the story and moved it along, even without our girls.

Thanks, terra! That's exactly what I was going for. And, yes, that does make sense. Again, it was my intention.

Thank you so much, T! I'm really glad you're reading along and enjoying it.[/blockquote]
[hr]
tarawhipped
[blockquote]
Quote:
Okay, Car....I take back all the groaning and sighing and spazzing in anticipation of an update that was pretty much All Buffy.

Three words for you....Told you so. :lmao I'm glad I was able to break your "I don't wanna read about Buffy and Xander" fixation. I tried to make sure that Willow and Tara were still very present in the chapter, even though the focus wasn't directly on them.
Quote:
AND I still want to know what happened a year ago...Willow's moved to L.A., but hello! Mail forwarding? She's been your friend forever and you can't fill out a change of address card???

:lol Okay, more is going to be revealed about that. But here's a little spoiler information....Willow has only been in L.A. for about 6 months...and Tara has known her address ever since Willow moved there. The year of no communication was a conscious choice. Hmmmm...the intrigue!
Quote:
and I'm not going to forgive you for making me quote Xander

That's okay...I'm not going to ask your forgiveness...but you will thank me one day. :p

Thanks so much for your comments, Cam. You know I value your opinion and your friendship. So your feedback always means a lot to me. [/blockquote]

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:27 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

k, i'm miffed here, xander knows more than we do. i can handle the slow rollout of info on what's happened between willow and tara, and makes sense that buffy knows stuff we don't, but she tells xander, just 30 minutes later and he knows everything. hmmpf, miffed i tell you again, totally miffed.
i didn't mind at all that this wasn't a w/t centric chap, sometimes you learn more about people from a 3rd party, and this nicely fills in some of the w/t apart years, esp. all the willow backstory.
astute of xander to pick up that buffy may have felt second best to tara, and well done on buffy's part to show how that wasn't true. i like the image of willow being comfortable in her own skin and with her social station. nice to see that even with tara gone, willow's confidence that stems from that relationship carries on.
i wish i had a willow study buddy, maybe i wouldn't be a college dropout :)
now i really hope willow hasn't wondered into some 7-11 for a slurpy and ended up in a robbery turned hostage situation that keeps her from that tree. ( you may have noticed i tend to imagine the worst) ~mary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:47 am 
3. Flaming O

I love the backstory around how they got to where they are now. I too am wondering why they havn't really written in the last year. Was it a planned move or not. Hmm. Does Buffy know that Willow and Tara love each other? Maybe I need to re-read but I got the feeling that they were aware that they loved each other even if it took a while to get there. Great update

cooper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:57 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Great update!!! Im glade we got to see a different side to the story please continue :-D

ERIN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:24 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4

Ya don't say :eyebrow

I'm kidding, I loved this chapter, even though it was a huge diversion from the whole Willow/Tara thing - because it wasn't, really, it was all about Willow and Tara,.especially Willow... but at the same time it was all about Buffy too. Taking this tangent and making it feel such a natural part of the story was really great work.

It's sweet (and of course very Willowy) that Willow kept her 'Tara diary' so diligently, and I found it really cute that she'd let Buffy add comments to her letters - it makes sense, now, that Tara's photo of Willow has Buffy in it as well. Just like Willow's got space in her heart for Buffy as well as Tara, I'm sure Tara's developed a lot of love for Buffy over the years too. Are we going to get to see Tara and Buffy meet? That'd be sweet, and kind of fun, what with them never having actually met before. As an aside to the main Willow/Tara meeting event, of course :x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:54 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

I write you 1,021 words in fb and you couldn't even muster 100 (86, to be exact) in your reply? It's nice reply and all (very grovel-y) and I love you too pumpkin, but man! You didn't even quote anything *pout*.

Then in your reply to T:
you wrote:
really the angst level in this fic is very low...admit it. It's not...oh...Lamplight or Neverland, ya know

HEY! and oy! Was that a snarky comment about the angst in LL, which btw isn't even close to peaking or ending, or was it a left handed compliment cos you know my knees are bound to transform into jello at being mentioned with Heather in the same breath. Ack. flattery will get you somewhere.

Last edited by watty on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:49 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Hey Carleen. So, I’ve been reading all along but I’ve yet to leave feedback (mostly cuz I’m not that good at it). This is such a wonderful story you’ve got goin on here. The words and descriptions you use make the imagery just jump out. It was like I was actually watching Tara on the plane and both girls sitting under the tree and Willow freaking out and I could just go on and on.

You’re doing a great job of using the flashbacks to fill in the backstory, and of keeping us up to date with the present situation. You know, most of your flashbacks are heart wrenching yet extremely sweet and loving... I love it.

This last update was amazing. It was good to see how Buffy and Willow met, and how Buffy and Xander met and how they all fit into each others lives.

It also gave us more insight into W/T. So, like everyone else, I’m wondering about the year long silence. What’s that all about?

You’re doin a fabulous job with everything. Keep it up, I can’t wait for more!

Jackie

"Supposedly the summer is "over." The people that say that are either children or work in the education field. We are neither of those things. The summer is over when it stops being 300 degrees outside. Which won't be until December. That said, we will continue to have summer fun!"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:20 pm 
3. Flaming O

here is the fb i cant wait until w/t meet after 8 very long years
this plot can go any where
waiting patently
dawn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:04 am 
4. Extra Flamey

You do realise you are killing us with suspense here. Which I commend you for, because it is well done. :clap But at the same time Gosh Darnit! I want them together and I want them together now! I guess I'll just have to wait huh? Soon though right? :pray

And I know I don't remind you that often but you do know I love this fic right? :love Okay, just so you know.

-wiccanbotanist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:32 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Thank you, everyone! I'm glad so many of you are still interested in my little story...and welcome to first time feedbackers on my thread!

Here are a few more replies. I'm working on Chapters 6 AND 7...I hope to have 6 posted by the end of the week...and then 7 a few days after that. Chapters 8, 9 and 10 are already written...I just have to get there first. LOL Hope you all hang in there...the meeting at the tree will be here soon!
[hr]
meretricious
[blockquote]
Quote:
xander knows more than we do.

Mary, Mary, Mary...no he doesn't. Buffy has told him the basics...so now he knows pretty much what the readers know. Note Buffy did not mention why they haven't communicated in about a year. So, don't worry about Xander knowing more than you do.
Quote:
sometimes you learn more about people from a 3rd party, and this nicely fills in some of the w/t apart years

Thanks, Mary...that was my intent. I wanted to get Buffy's take on Willow when they first met...and her thoughts on her relationship with Willow vs. Willow's relationship with Tara. I thought it was important information. Plus, I want to prove to people *coughCamcough* that I can write "Good Friend Buffy."
Quote:
astute of xander to pick up that buffy may have felt second best to tara, and well done on buffy's part to show how that wasn't true.

Yes...see other replies RE: Buffy and Xander characterizations.
Quote:
now i really hope willow hasn't wondered into some 7-11 for a slurpy and ended up in a robbery turned hostage situation that keeps her from that tree. ( you may have noticed i tend to imagine the worst)

:lmao Oh goodness, Mary! You crack me up! No, Willow won't go to 7-11...I promise.

Thanks Mary! [/blockquote]
[hr]
cooper
[blockquote]Thanks so much, cooper! I appreciate your feedback, as always. I don't think you misread anything. And I think Buffy is well aware of how Willow and Tara feel...she just hasn't said anything yet. She's biding her time...waiting to get all the facts...looking before leaping. The lack of communication for a year was, in fact, intentional. More will be revealed in coming chapters. Thanks again! [/blockquote]
[hr]
AlysonGoddess
[blockquote]Thanks, Erin. I will continue, no worries there. [/blockquote]
[hr]
Artemis
[blockquote]
Quote:
even though it was a huge diversion from the whole Willow/Tara thing - because it wasn't, really, it was all about Willow and Tara

Thanks, Chris! I was hoping for that effect. I wanted Willow and Tara to be very present in the chapter even though they weren't actually there. I'm glad I accomplished that.
Quote:
Just like Willow's got space in her heart for Buffy as well as Tara, I'm sure Tara's developed a lot of love for Buffy over the years too. Are we going to get to see Tara and Buffy meet?

Well, she's Tara...so of course she's going to love Buffy. It's enthymematic...Tara loves everything about Willow...Willow loves Buffy...Tara must love Buffy too. :D And, yes, we'll see Tara and Buffy meet. They will even get to spend some quality time with each other. It should be fun.

As always, Chris, thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate your support! [/blockquote]
[hr]
watson
[blockquote]
Quote:
I write you 1,021 words in fb and you couldn't even muster 100 (86, to be exact) in your reply?

Oh Geez Louise! Ya number freak! :lol
Quote:
your attention to detail, and the desire to get every single word, no every single word and punctuation and even section break right, wow! The M in CM Spry stands for Meticulous, doesn't it?

Well...no...it actually stands for Mary...but if you want to think it stands for Meticulous, you go right ahead. :lmao Actually, I think that comes from hanging out with you so much. I've learned a lot about writing fic from you...and a big part of what I've learned is that every word and punctuation and section break is chosen for a reason. Thanks for that.
Quote:
it's like sitting in the garden enjoying a nice pot of strong Earl Grey tea, dainty cucumber sandwiches and a thick slice of Victoria sponge. Not scones, I don't really like scones, though I make them very well.

I'm going to start calling you Jeeves...or Giles.
Quote:
You're unfolding the story nicely, telling the backstory, adding layers about Buffy and Willow's meeting, and drawing in regulars like Buffy and Xander.

I'm glad you think so. I'm a lover of details (obviously), so I want to do my best to get them all in there. No, they won't necessarily come in a linear fashion, but they'll get there...eventually. ;)
Quote:
This Buffy I like very much.

Me too...This is the Buffy from Season 1...This is "Prophecy Girl" Buffy (IMHO)...the Buffy who would sacrifice everything for her friends...the Buffy who put her friends before herself.
Quote:
Xander. A good introduction. Goofy but without the stupidity.

Thanks. I never really thought Xander was stupid...and I thought Joss did an injustice for the character. I think he was just a guy who was finding his way in the world. I wanted my Xander to still have that lovable, boyish charm, but more direction and confidence in himself.
Quote:
I'm glad she offered to help Buffy, it's a departure from canon, but in a good way. You really have struck a balance between descriptions and dialogue.

Since I've created a more confident Willow, I wanted to find a way to show that confidence. I think the canonized method for getting Buffy and Willow aboard the friendship train was a good one...for Joss's vision...but for mine, I needed to have Willow step up to the plate and take a swing on her own. (Wow! Metaphor Puree!)
Quote:
Though she wasn't even present in this chapter, I could feel her presence constantly.

Yay! Success!
Quote:
Finally, how can I not mention Mrs Sloan.
I just wanna give her a giant big hug, she's such a dear!

I had an image of Edie McClurg in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"...I just couldn't get it out of my head.
Quote:
Wow. Is this fb longer or SAI final fb longer?

I think SAI was longer...but this reply may be longer than both of them put together...does this now meet your standards? :lmao

Again, thank you, watty. You're my inspiration. (And now I'm channeling cheesy Karate Kid songs?) [/blockquote]
[hr]
HalfCamel
[blockquote]
Quote:
So, I’ve been reading all along but I’ve yet to leave feedback (mostly cuz I’m not that good at it).

First of all, thank you for reading my little diversion. Secondly, you are quite good at leaving feedback! I've seen your feedback on other threads and am always interested in what you have to say.
Quote:
The words and descriptions you use make the imagery just jump out.

Thank you so much for saying that. I love imagery in literature...so I did my best to make sure that I wasn't glossing over it in my fic. Glad you think I succeeded.
Quote:
So, like everyone else, I’m wondering about the year long silence. What’s that all about?

Oh you all will learn about that...in time...but we have to get them to that tree first, don't we? ;)

Thanks, Jackie! I appreciate your kind words and support. [/blockquote]
[hr]
hahler
[blockquote]Thanks, Dawn. I will get the next chapter posted just as soon as I can...I'm thinking by the end of the week. Before long, the girls will be under that tree! [/blockquote]
[hr]
wiccanbotanist
[blockquote]
Quote:
You do realise you are killing us with suspense here. Which I commend you for, because it is well done. :clap But at the same time Gosh Darnit! I want them together and I want them together now! I guess I'll just have to wait huh? Soon though right?

Yes, I realize this...and thank you for the commendation. I've learned from the best here on Pens. :glasses

Yes, you'll have to wait a bit longer...I'm thinking about another couple of chapters and then they'll both be in the same place at the same time. We just have to cover a little ground and fill in a few holes first...but we'll get there. ;)

Thanks so much for reading. I'm glad you're enjoying it! [/blockquote]

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:47 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

OOO OOO OOOO. I read this story before I did! I just didn't leave a reply :blush . I am ashamed of my thoughtlessness. I should be kicked and stoned. Should be . . . but please don't. :-D Then I wouldn't get to read the rest of this story, and then well, that would be much cause for grumpiness. The TaraDiary was quite with the adorable, as were the two letters Willow and Tara first exchanged after the move. Adorable with a capital A, and come to think of it, with a capital -DORABLE. Your exposition of all the characters especially Buffy and Xander were riveting!

Yes, riveting! Buffy was so sweet to Willow in the beginning of their friendship, watching out for her and all. It's hard to find a story that really explores that part of their relationship as much as yours does. Most of the time they're just joking around like best buddies, which isn't awful, but there isn't that lovely tenderness. Aww tenderness. And having Xander be Buffy's co-worker and how he listened to her retell the story reminded me of so many movies or tv shows where there's always that character who's like, "What happened next? What happened next?" It was just well, very HEE HEE.

Can't wait to read about the reunion . . . which will most DEFINITELY be in the next update, right? ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:13 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Just another quick feedback reply, Kittens. I'm shooting to have Chapter 6 posted Friday night. Keep your fingers crossed. I'm almost there. ;)
[hr]
beanie
[blockquote]
Quote:
I should be kicked and stoned.

Oh, now I would NEVER do that. However, I'm not above tickle torture if you let it happen again. :lmao Okay, I'm kidding.

Welcome to my thread! Pull up a beanbag chair and make yourself comfy.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the story and the characters. I really tried to make sure I stuck to the basics of canon characteristics, but I also wanted to give these people the credit they deserved on the show. I'm glad I've been able to accomplish that in some respect.

Thank you so much for your kind and enthusiastic words of encouragement. I'm glad you're along for the ride.[/blockquote]

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:35 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

i don't know car, buffy and xander leave, walking, and 30 minutes later you pick them back up. who knows what buffy told him in those 30 min (well, presumably you do, being the author and all) but reads to me like xan could now know all sorts of things we don't if buffy's been giving him the willow update for 30 minutes? but if you say he doesn't know more than us, i will suspend my sceptisism, and choose to believe you. really. completely. in just a minute. ~mary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:19 am 
19. Yummy Face

Hey Car :wave
Am I too late to leave feedback? I do hope not.

That was another great update :) I liked how you introduced Xander & gave us more info about Buffy whilst still having plenty of Willow & Tara stuff in there, very well done :clap

It's rather a refreshing change to read a fic where Xander is friends with Buffy & has never even met Willow. I don't think I've ever seen that done before - it's very good though :)

This little bit made me chuckle...
Quote:
Instead of “Hi, I’m Xander,” all that came from his mouth was “schpadoinkle!” followed by a furious blush. It was a manly blush, but a blush, nonetheless. Buffy couldn’t help but chuckle at the man before her and shook his proffered hand.

“Wow! That’s one heck of a name,” Buffy teased. “I’ll bet you had a hell of a time learning to spell that.”
:lol, I love Buffy in this fic.

So, we got lots of info about Willow in there, she obviously just threw herself into her studies to take her mind off of the fact that she was missing Tara so much - poor Willow. :aww

It doesn't seem like Buffy knows that Willow is in love with Tara? or, if she does, she doesn't feel that it's appropriate to tell Xander? But, she's read some of Willow & Tara's letters to each other, so, either...
1) There's never been anything in the letters concerning Willow & Tara's feelings for one another
2) Willow hasn't let Buffy read the letters that concerned our girl's feelings for one another
3) Buffy just chose not to tell Xander about Willow & Tara's feelings for each other (assuming that (a) such things have been mentioned in the letters, or at all and (b) that Buffy is aware of those feelings)

Okay, now I'm confusing myself, I think I'll just stop trying to figure it out & wait for all to be revealed :)

I think I'm babbling now aren't I? I'll stop :) Well, in a second I'll stop, first I'll just reiterate what Buffy was thinking at the end of that update...
Quote:
:hmm Oh, & I wonder what Tara's doing now too. :)

Hugs
Jeanne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:28 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

:bow Mass apologies to Carleen for my feedback tardiness... :bow

Wow, Car...I think we got more Buffy and Xander dynamic in this one chapter of fic than we did in 7 seasons of BTVS.

I enjoyed seeing the background of how Buffy and Willow became friends and that the shadow of this ultimate friend (Tara) didn't come between the burgeoning friendship.

Now on a more selfish note...love the background stuff...BUT I WANT TO SEE THEM MEET! LOL.

However, you are the author, so you take the time you need to properly set it up. I'll be waiting, semi-patiently. :-D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:40 pm 
19. Yummy Face

meretricious
[blockquote]Mary, you must have faith, my child. All will be revealed in time. Trust me, Xander does not know more than the readers. Buffy knows what to tell and what not to tell. So there are certain things she left out of her tale to Xander. Plus, think about it, do you honestly think Xander let Buffy talk for 30 minutes...uninterrupted? ;)[/blockquote]
[hr]
kindagay
[blockquote]Jeanne~~ Thank you so much, sweetie. It's never too late to leave feedback. I'm just glad you're reading along.
Quote:
It doesn't seem like Buffy knows that Willow is in love with Tara? or, if she does, she doesn't feel that it's appropriate to tell Xander? But, she's read some of Willow & Tara's letters to each other, so, either...
1) There's never been anything in the letters concerning Willow & Tara's feelings for one another
2) Willow hasn't let Buffy read the letters that concerned our girl's feelings for one another
3) Buffy just chose not to tell Xander about Willow & Tara's feelings for each other (assuming that (a) such things have been mentioned in the letters, or at all and (b) that Buffy is aware of those feelings)

Hmmm....I would have to go with choice #3...though, remember, this is astute, observant Buffy. She's a pretty smart cookie. I think she's done some "figuring out" of her own. Buffy will have a few tricks up her sleeve. You'll have to tune in to find out what's going on in that cute blonde head of hers. ;)

Thanks, Jeanne! Glad you're still liking the story.[/blockquote]
[hr]
VMarie
[blockquote]
Quote:
I think we got more Buffy and Xander dynamic in this one chapter of fic than we did in 7 seasons of BTVS.

Thanks, Marie! That's quite a compliment. I appreciate it.
Quote:
Now on a more selfish note...love the background stuff...BUT I WANT TO SEE THEM MEET! LOL.

:lmao ME TOO!! It's coming up...I promise. In fact, I'll tell you a secret. **looks around to make sure no one is eavesdropping** They will meet in Chapter 8.

Thanks, Marie! I appreciate your kind words and support. You're the best stalker ever![/blockquote]
[hr]

And here comes Chapter 6!!!!!!

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:46 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Title: Coming Back
Author: GayNow (Carleen)
Email: cmspry2@gmail.com
Feedback: Pretty please? Just remember, I leave feedback for you! Okay, maybe not for every update....but I try! And...and...I leave novellas. Okay okay....I'll be happy with a smilie face.
Distribution: Archiving is fine…please let me know where so I can call all my friends and yell, “Look! I’m famous!”
Rating: This part…PG…future parts…PG-13…will there be kisses and smut?…hmmm....dunno....we’ll see. I’ll make sure I give fair warning.
Disclaimer: BtVS characters, concepts and dialog belong to Mutant Enemy, Fox, The WB, UPN and others. The story, however, came out of my delusional little brain.
Summary: AU....no Hellmouth...no magic....no demons...no slayer....Willow and Tara made a solemn promise to each other 8 years ago.
Author’s Notes:
  • This fic was inspired by my own fic challenge (Third Time's a Charm). But...well...it sort of took on a life of its own. So, I decided to give it its own thread. I'm nice that way.
  • This is my first attempt at fic writing...or posting what I've written, anyway. And I have all of you wonderful kittens to thank for inspiring me. I'm not going to start listing off all of the individual authors, because that would just take too long. You know who you are...you've read my feedback...it's no secret who I worship.
  • I have to give special, super-dee-duper thanks to the lovely WATSON for so many things -- for putting up with me...for painstakingly reading chapters and sections and paragraphs and sentences...for dealing with me obsessing over j-u-u-u-u-u-u-st the right word...for serving as co-writer in many many many instances (if it's a REALLY good sentence or phrase...it's probably hers)...for simply being a friend and encouraging me (Okay...encouraging? She was kicking me in the ass is what she was doing!)
  • Thoughts in italics
  • Thanks to Chris Cook for the super spectacular title graphic!

Chapter 6

Dear Tara,

Hey, babe, what’s going on? You doing okay? I was so happy when I got your last letter – I was having such a bad day, but getting a letter from you made it all better.

School still going well? Seems like your classes are more fun this year – though I’m sure you don’t consider geometry ‘fun’. Thanks for sending the syllabi for your classes – I love knowing what you’re taking each year. I put together some shortcuts and study guides for you, like I did last year with algebra. I sent you my syllabi too. Of course, you already know that since you’ve obviously opened the envelope this letter and the study guide were in. Hi, my name is Ms. States-the-obvious. Fair warning, I may be asking you for help with that Art Appreciation class they’re making me take. I don’t think I have a single arty cell in me.

OH! Guess what?! I made a new friend! Her name is Buffy Summers. I’ve heard a few people laugh at her name, but I think it suits her. Besides, who am I to say anything about “strange” names? Hello! Darned hippy parents, naming me after a tree.

Anyway, back to Buffy. She’s really cool, Tare. I think you’d like her. She’s new at school – started 4 weeks in. She and her Mom moved from LA. I’m going to be studying with her to help her get caught up since I took all of the same classes over the summer. We’re in History together first period, so we can quiz each other. But you know what the best part is? She didn’t ask me to help her! Buffy came to talk to me just to talk and get to know me. I offered to help her. She tried to refuse, but I insisted. I like her, Tare. She makes me laugh; I even babbled again! Not the way I used to, but it was still babble. It was the first time since you left, so she has to be pretty special, ya know? I think she’s going to be a good friend. She’ll be my only friend, besides you, of course. You’ll always be my best friend. But I have a feeling about Buffy. I can’t wait for you to meet her. I think she’ll make the time until I see you again go by faster…and seem less painful.

Okay! Enough! We promised no more sad stuff. So, moving on….

How is your family? Tell them all hi for me…yeah, even Donnie. Does he like college? You know, Tare, Donnie was always such a pain, but I’m glad he decided to go to college there. I’m happy you’ll have him there with you. He doesn’t show it, but I know he loves his baby sister. How could he not? You’re so lovable.

I loved the pressed flowers, by the way. Those were from your mom’s rose garden, huh? I had them laminated and then framed…I made it. The frame, I mean, I designed and built it. It’s 2 inches deep, so it looks like the flowers are floating. You can’t even tell that they’re laminated. Oh, and there’s glass on both sides…so it doesn’t matter which way it’s facing…and the light shows through it…it’s cool. Guess I do have a few arty cells in me after all. I keep it on my nightstand by my bed. Every time I look at it, I think of you. Of course, I think of you without looking at it too. But it’s the last thing I see before I close my eyes at night – I say, “goodnight, Tara” and then I go to sleep. And when I wake up in the morning, I see the flowers and say, “good morning, Tara” before I get out of bed. I wonder if you can hear me when I say that? I hope so, even though it isn’t morning or night when I say it. Oh! My morning is your afternoon, so it may be strange for you to hear me say “good morning” in the middle of the afternoon.

Oh wow! It’s getting late. I still need to finish some homework that’s due next week, so I should go. Buffy and I are meeting in the library before school tomorrow, so I need to get up a little early too.

Can’t wait to get your next letter. Try to write soon.

Love and miss you bunches,

Will

Dear Will,

Thank you so much for the care package! And how cute of you to come up with a theme -- "Sunnydale in Your Heart." I love it! But you really didn't have to, Will. I don't need a box of stuff from you for me to know that Sunnydale is in my heart. After all, Sweetie, you're in Sunnydale, so it's always in my heart.

Did you go to all of these dances and plays, Will? The posters and programs make them seem interesting. I wish I could have been there for Brigadoon -- I've always thought the Highlands of Scotland would be wonderful to paint. Maybe I'll get a chance one day. I think it would be fun to play Fiona, too. But I'd be too scared to get in front of all those people. Maybe you and I could do a scene or song one day. I think I could do it if it were just you and me, but hundreds of people? No way.

Hey! I got a B in geometry last term! Leave it to you to find a way to tutor me from a completely different continent. My tutor was so confused when I told him that I didn't need his help anymore. Then he saw your study guides. He even asked to make copies of them! I just smiled and thought, "That's my Willow!" He'll still be available if I need him at any point, but I don't think I will. Not when I have you...and your brilliantly organized notes.

Some of my drawings were included in a show at school. I submitted two and my art teacher submitted two of my class projects, without telling me. They all got accepted. I was told I'm the first student to have more than 2 drawings in the show. It was very exciting. The newspaper clipping is at the end of this letter. My name is in print, Will! How cool is that?

Donnie took a trip to Switzerland with some friends for spring break. One of his friends has a van, so they all piled in and drove there -- I guess they even slept in it to save money. I wish I could have been there. The sight of Donnie trying to stay upright HAD to be hilarious! He came home with bruises and was walking funny for a couple of days, but at least he didn't break anything. He got me a present too, Will. Can you believe it? Donald Maclay, Jr. was being NICE to me! Anyway, he brought back this little snow globe for me...it has a little Swiss chalet sitting on top of a mountain inside the globe part. It's very cute. Never thought I would be using “cute” in a paragraph about Donnie.

Mom and I have been working on my dress for the “Spring Fling” this year. I don’t really want to go, but since Mom and Daddy are going to be chaperones, they’re kinda making me go. I guess if I put up a fight, they would give in and let me stay home, but I know it would make them happy for me to go. So I’ll go. Who knows…maybe I’ll convince Daddy to dance with me. I just hope he doesn’t try to do the “Funky Chicken” again. I have to admit, though, I was laughing really hard when Donnie told me about Daddy doing that when he and Mom chaperoned the senior prom last year. I just don’t think I want to see it.

I can’t believe there are only 4 more weeks left of school. We’ll be juniors next year, Will. I’m guessing you will be taking summer school classes again this summer. Have you signed up yet? What are you going to take? Make me a promise, Will…promise me you’ll take something just for fun. And, I know you think math and computer classes are fun. But, take something just because….just because you think it will be interesting, and not because it will look good on your college applications. Okay? Promise me?

I need to go, Willow. I’m in study hall right now, and I really should be studying for the history test I have to take this afternoon. I look forward to your next letter. Write soon.

Love always,

Tara

Tara-babe,

Hi! Hi! Hi!

Can you believe it? We’re seniors!! Okay, maybe not officially – but junior year is over. I had my last final exam today and tomorrow Buffy and I are going to L.A. for a week. Buffy’s mom is taking us with her on her business trip. So while Joyce is at her meetings and such, Buffy is going to show me around L.A. and take me to the beach.

Oh! And Mom and Dad were so cool! Mom gave me two $100 bills and Dad gave me a credit card with my own name on it! He said, “Be responsible, but have a good time.” When I asked him if a round trip ticket to Germany could be considered responsible, yet fun, he just raised an eyebrow at me and held out his hand like he wanted the credit card back. I took that as my cue to say, “just kidding” and get my tushy out of the room. I get credit for trying, right? Oh! And, hey! Just because I can’t buy a plane ticket doesn’t mean I can’t spend a little money. So Buffy and I are gonna pick out some neat “you can only get it in L.A.” stuff for you. It’s going to be a fun week. The only way it would be better is if you were coming with us.

Remember that crabby calculus teacher I told you about? Well, I heard that he’s “on probation” next year. Seems like the principal got tired of hearing complaints from so many students about him – including yours truly – so he decided to bring in a “panel of experts” to observe his class and look at students’ notes and exams. They came to the same conclusion I did (two weeks into the class…Hello!): his teaching methods are too rigid and don’t leave room for creativity. He and the experts had to regrade ALL of the exams for the ENTIRE year! Everyone’s grades got adjusted accordingly – which means I got 120% (I did lots of extra credit to make up for the points he was wrongfully taking away). Go me!

BUT, GUESS WHAT’S EVEN COOLER?!

I, Willow Rosenberg, will be teaching 11th grade pre-calculus AND serving as a teacher’s aide in 12th grade calculus! The regular pre-calc teacher quit after this year – I guess he’s getting married and is moving to wherever his fiancée’s job is – and they don’t have the budget to replace him since there are so few students taking pre-calc next year. So, rather than cancel the class all together, they are going to let me teach it (under supervision, of course) and I’ll get elective credits. Isn’t that cool?! I think they only reason they are having me T.A. calc is because they want me to spy on Mr. “Probation”. I don’t mind though. It will be fun. And even though he was too rigid about grading and techniques, he’s confident speaking in front of people. So I can still try to learn from him. I can’t wait for fall – SENIORS!

What are you doing over summer break, Tare? I wish you could make a trip home…but I understand that your mom needs you there. How is she? Knowing you, you’ll be drawing and painting, which is fine by me! I love the drawings you send me. I get everything laminated as soon as I get it out of the envelope. (I should buy my own laminating machine.) I used to keep everything in my diary – I’d put it all in the on the date I received it. But it got too big. So, I’ve made a separate scrapbook for all of your drawings and clippings and class schedules – everything you send me – and I went back through my diary and put a catalogue number in the corresponding daily entry. Then I marked the scrapbook page with the same number. That way I can easily reference them. I use a different color for each type of item you send me – blue for drawings, green for clippings, and so on. It will make it easier for you to follow along when you read it. We’re almost 3 years closer to our date, Tare.

Well, I need to finish packing. Buffy and Joyce are picking me up really early in the morning. Actually, I’ve been packed for a couple of days, but I need to go over my list again and make sure I have everything. I know, I know…I’m “quirky”.

I miss you, Tara…so much. I think about you all the time. Can’t wait to hear from you. Write soon.

Lots of love,

Will

P.S. I decided to take "Movie Musicals" this summer. I figured that's a class you would take if you were here. I'll tell you all about it...maybe you can watch the same movies and it will be as if we're taking it together.

Hi, Sweetie!

I got the last of the “L.A.” gifts yesterday. I wonder if your parents realize it would have been cheaper for them to buy you that ticket to come visit me (heehee). I love everything – all four packages worth. Hey! THAT’S how your parents didn’t figure it out! You split it up and didn’t send everything at once…so it didn’t seem like you spent as much money as you really did. You’re so sneaky! My room should have a title…I think I’ll call it “Sunnydale Scenarios.” Okay, so it’s not all from Sunnydale…there are things from L.A. and San Diego, too. But whenever I look at any of it, I think of Sunnydale…and you…home. I can’t help but look at the stuff either. My walls and shelves are covered with the things you’ve sent me. They’re so great. Thank you, Will.

So, I think I’m going to enjoy this “being a senior” business. I really like my classes this year. I’m taking an extra art class since I was able to test out of math. I know I’ve said it many times before, but THANK YOU! The study program you put together for me was so wonderful. You’re all the rage around here, Will. All the math teachers use your notes and study guides in class now. And I can’t tell you how many students – from all grades – seek me out to ask me to thank you. You’ve made me quite popular.

Anyway, my classes are fun this year (my schedule is the last page of the letter). They are geared toward getting me into the universities that combine Art History and technique. I’ve made it clear to my teachers that I don’t want to choose between scholarship and practice, and they’ve been very careful to keep that in mind when we choose my classes. Mrs. Schultz is even letting me do an independent study with her, which is pretty rare from what I’ve been told. It’s called “Early Feminism: Pre-Greek Women in Art.” We are going to focus on religious art that predates Judaism and Christianity – so, mostly pagan and pantheistic religions.

Mom was very excited when I told her about it. Lilith and the Greek pantheon have always fascinated her. Daddy was a little worried when I mentioned “paganism”, but once Mom and I explained that pagans do not worship the devil and sacrifice virgins to the “goat gods,” he was okay. He even seemed interested when I mentioned witchcraft and Wicca as religions. He has images of ugly women on brooms. I think he’s seen The Wizard of Oz a few too many times.

The family is doing well. Daddy is always busy at the hospital and works long hours. But he makes sure we all have family time on the weekends. This is what he tells his staff: “From 2100 hours on Friday until 0600 hours on Monday, I’m just Don Maclay – husband, father, and all around good guy. Between those hours I am not an Air Force Colonel or Command Surgeon. So, ladies and gentlemen, unless there is a situation that involves world security, do not disturb me during family time.” Daddy’s kinda cute when he gets all command-y with his staff. But don’t ever let him know I said that.

Mom is okay – she has really great days most of the time. The bad days, however, have us concerned. So far, the tests haven’t shown anything, but she’s scheduled for more next week. She does her best to not let it slow her down, but we can see that some days are just too hard. I’m glad Donnie stayed home again this year rather than moving in with his friends. He’s been a big help.

It’s weird, Will. Donnie doesn’t seem like my brother these days. It feels more like he’s my friend. I guess that means we’re growing up. It feels good. I think there will always be a part of him that is still my dorky brother though (thank goodness). Donnie finally decided on a major. He’s going to get his degree in International Commerce with minors in finance and German. He’s really taken to the language out here. He’s not fluent yet, but he can usually hold his own in a conversation. I’m much better at Latin, but who speaks Latin anymore? I can speak a little French, but not enough to hold a conversation. I can pretty much say “The monkey is under the table” – how often do you think I can work that into a discussion?

Lunch hour is almost over, so I should go. I’ll mail this right after school. I miss you, Willow. We’re nearly halfway there. Write soon.

Yours,

Tara

Dear Tara,

I know we said we wouldn't write to each other on bad days, but I really just need to feel close to you right now. Writing in my diary isn't doing the trick today. So, I came out to our tree and swayed on the swing for a while. Now I'm sitting against our tree pretending you're here with me...and that I'm talking to you rather than writing.

Prom is coming up in 3 months. The "prom date frenzy" has started. Buffy has already turned down 3 boys. I expect her to get many more offers. She’s not being deliberately coy, but she said she won't say yes to anyone until I agree to go to prom. She says if I don't go, she won't go and the two of us will stay home and watch bad teen movies while gorging ourselves on chocolate and ice cream.

Here's the thing...I think that would be a blast. Movie night is preferable to prom in my book. **sigh** But I know how much Buffy wants to go...and I don't want to be the reason her night is ruined and for her to end up blaming me for missing SENIOR PROM for the rest of her life. I mean, I know she went last year when Steve asked her, so it's not like she's never been to prom, but we're seniors this year -- this is our prom -- she should go if she wants to so badly. And I know she would have turned down those 3 boys anyway since Steve said he'd come in for the weekend. But I also know she'll be true to her word -- Buffy will tell Steve to stay at school and then she'll go to the store for a gallon of Ben and Jerry's.

I just really don't want to go, Tare. It's just one more reminder of something you and I can't experience together. I can't help thinking about how much fun we would have if you were here. Just think about it, Tare. We could double date...well, triple date with Buffy...or say "to hell with dates" and go together. Actually, I think that would be the most fun. We could go dress shopping together and get corsages and I’d come pick you up at your house. And it would be cool because we'd be together and we know each other so well. We wouldn't have to worry about "does my date like me" or "my date isn't very fun" because we'd already know. We wouldn't have to be all Nervy McNerves with each other. We could just be Tara and Willow. That's my idea of a perfect prom.

Nope! I’ve decided. I'm not going. I'll make Buffy go, but I'm not going. I'm not going to waste time and energy on a night that is bound to be less than perfect, especially when I keep thinking of how perfect it could have been. When you get home, we'll have our own prom -- a perfect prom. But I'm not going to this one! (I know you can't see it, but I have my resolve face on.) I.Am.Not.Going.

I feel better now. Thank you, Tara. Just being able to tell you all of this makes me feel better. It's kinda hard to explain to Buffy. I mean, she understands about you and me. She knows you're my bestest best friend and she's always told me "that's how it should be, Will." But she's my best friend, too, Tare. And she's always been so good to me. Sometimes I feel like I might hurt her feelings by talking about you so much. I mean, I know Buffy, and I know she wouldn't really be hurt; at least that's what logic says. But I'm still afraid of hurting her. I can't wait for you to meet Buffy. You're gonna love her, Tare.

Okay, it's getting dark so I should head home. I have some studying to do anyway. I'll try to write you a happier letter tomorrow.

Love and miss you, babe!

Will

My dear willowy Willow,

We did it! High school is over! Yay!

I’m sorry it’s taken me longer than usual to write back to you. The end of the term was more hectic than I expected. Between exams and my senior gallery project, I’ve barely had time to breathe. But I got it all done – with straight As to boot. I know that’s a normal occurrence for you, but it’s the first time with no minuses for me. So it was a good way to end my high school years. I can’t begin to tell you how happy I am.

Graduation was a lot of fun. The ceremony itself was typical – all pomp and circumstance – very much like yours, I’m sure. Afterwards, we all spent about an hour milling around…talking to other graduates and their families, exchanging contact information with promises to keep in contact during college, and generally reveling in being done with school.

But the best part of the day? I could see Mom, Daddy and Donnie from where I was sitting. I’ve never seen the three of them with bigger smiles on their faces (yeah, even Donnie). When my name was called, Mom – in a rather uncharacteristic move – jumped out of her seat and yelled, “I love you, baby-girl!” And then she got applause! She’s made so many friends on base and at the hospital. So I wasn’t the only one happy to see her doing so well. She still has bad days now and then, but that day wasn’t one of them. At that moment – hearing Mom yell and seeing her bouncing up and down with excitement – that’s when I knew in my heart that Mom’s going to be okay. The only thing that could have made the day better is if I had shared it with you.

I love the picture you sent from your graduation. So that’s Buffy, huh? You’re right…she is pretty. But you know what? You’re beautiful. I like the way you cut your hair. But, then, I’ve always loved your hair. I found a frame to put it in at this little art store I go to. Once I finish painting it, I’m going to put the picture in the frame and keep it next to my bed. I’m going to use my special paints for the frame – I mixed the colors myself. I only use these paints on very special projects. This certainly qualifies.

Oh! I haven’t told you about prom. We had a blast. I told you that I went with a big group, right? Well, it got even bigger. By the time prom night got here, there were 10 of us – Kathy, Christy, Helen, Robert, Keith, Matthew, Becky, Kim, me, and… **drum roll**…Donnie! I couldn’t believe it. Donnie came to my room a few days before prom asking if I “needed help” studying for exams. Of course, Donnie never studies, so I knew something was up. Plus, he wouldn’t look at me…he kept looking at the stuff on the walls or picking up stuff from the shelves. I finally just asked him what was on his mind. It took him a few minutes, but he finally asked if he could escort me to prom. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. I had to laugh after a few minutes though. He suddenly reminded me of you, Will. Donnie BABBLED! It was so cute to hear him go on about how proud he is of me and that he feels bad for being such a jerk when we were younger. I couldn’t stop myself from jumping up and hugging the stuffing out of him. But when I heard him sniff and say, “I love you, Tare” I just squeezed him tighter and we cried together.

Obviously, after that breakthrough in our relationship, I couldn’t say no to him. But I did make sure he knew that there would be a group of us…and he seemed to like that idea. Needless-to-say, I had the best escort at prom this year. Mom and Daddy chaperoned again, so it was like a big family outing. I’m sure you’ve seen the picture I included with this letter. Clearly, that’s the four of us at prom. Mom looked so beautiful…and Daddy and Donnie were the most handsome men there. Donnie, Mom and I convinced Daddy that the “Funky Chicken” was much too outdated. Instead, he tried to do the “Running Man”…I think we should have left well enough alone.

I would now like to take this moment to say, “I told you so!” I knew you would have a good time at prom, Will. I’m so glad you decided to go. I’m also happy to hear that Michael was a perfect gentleman. It would be a shame if I had to hurt him. Though, I’m sure Buffy and Steve were suitable substitutes in my absence and would have clobbered Michael if he’d gotten out of line. Actually, I’m glad you took my advice and invited Michael. He was always nice to us in junior high and I always considered him a friend. I hope you wrote all of the details of the night in your diary, Will. I did in mine. I can’t wait until we can read them together. We’re half way there.

College, Sweetie! We’re going to college! I can hardly wait. But, for now, I’m just going to enjoy my last carefree summer and spend a lot of time with my family. Mom is doing really well, but she has a few more tests in a couple of weeks. After that, we are all going on a short vacation. We’re not sure exactly where we’re going yet, but we are going. Daddy deserves a break and I know Mom will enjoy the time away from hospitals and home. I’ll be sure to send you something from our trip.

Okay, wow…it’s 2am. I really should get some sleep. I can’t wait to hear from you, Will. Write soon. I want to hear all about your summer plans. And if you say you’re taking summer school again, I’m going to be mad at you. Fair warning.

Missing you more and more,

Your Tara

Frivolous Views

Last edited by GayNow on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:48 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

I'm supposed to have slodges of time to comment, but it turns out not to be the case. You could argue I do have slodges of time, cos I've read it many times already before you posted.

You've done an excellent job of condensing the high school years into just 6 letters. Even with the passage of time, the feelings they have for each other ... the they're so in love but they don't know it ... it's still as strong. If anything, I feel absence has definitely made the heart stronger. I can't join the bandwagon on wondering what happened to cause the 'no contact for a year', which kinda makes me sad ... no, wait! Sad? I've got to be kidding! I'm not sad, cos I *know* why. :P

You've done really well in capturing their different styles and personalities. Willow's letters even read faster, I find myself moving through the words at breakneck speed, just like her personality. Great re-telling of how Willow met Buffy, it's so great to hear it from both pov's, yet there is nothing stale. :clap for the gifts and the care packages and the newspaper clippings and the flyers (hey! did we forget to make the flyers?) -- it's so realistic, of how they'd be exchanging the little snippets of their lives apart.

Tara's letters show how much she has matured. The first letter compared with the third letter ... that's 3 years and she is so self-assured and calm, it shows through in the letters. I'm so glad you took parts of the canon Maclays and turned them into a real, loving family, without the cliché nastiness. Dad doing the "funky chicken" :lmao, Mom shouting at her graduation, Donnie growing into her friend -- isn't it so true, how the sibling you used to hate when you were 14 turned out to be your closest friend when you're 24?

The undertones of sadness too, so subtle, yet not overwhelming. Willow not wanting to go to prom without Tara (cos it wasn't that she didn't want to go, just that Tara isn't there, so no fun). Tara worrying about her Mom (again I'll stay silent on the subject). It's all part of growing up and having to deal with the great mystery called life.

The comment on the end of high school, exchanging contact numbers / emails, with the promise of keeping in touch but you never do ... you've seen it so I won't repeat it.

I do want to repeat what I said about letting letters tell the story about what happened to them during HS. So simple. So heartwrenching. So effective. And of course my approval of the way you skipped whole slodges of time. It's a tiny little bit like CA letters, I only just noticed.

Anyway ... chapter 7 next. I for one, can't wait for the first email to arrive at my mailbox. :-D
[br]

Last edited by watty on Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New Fic: Coming Back (Updated 8/5/05)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:10 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Wow. :heart Willow and Tara write the sweetest letters to one another. I look forward to more.

Post subject: Re: New Fic: Coming Back (Updated 8/5/05)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:44 pm 
9. Gay Now

Car,

I can't say how much I loved the structure and content of this update. Everything was so real, and it seemed like I was right there experiencing every word they wrote to each other. That sounds strange, but I think you know what I mean. I think one of the best aspects of this story that I enjoy is the slow way you're letting us see *read* their history before you connect all the pieces. Great update, thanks!

Yvonne

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next