The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fic: Red Star Rising
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:06 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hello, kittens! Worry not, I'll still be working on Adrienne... but I get as impatient as you do having only one update a week. So I'm posting two of my fics at once. Expect an update on this one every Sunday.

Title: Red Star Rising
Author: Naeryn, aka Megan
Disclaimer: Pern, Thread, Pernese dragons, Weyrs, and all other Pern-related things/people/ideas are copyright ANNE MCCAFFREY. No copyright infringement is intended, and no profit is being made from this.
...Oh yeah, and Joss owns Willow and Tara. Bastard.
Rating: E for Everyone ^^
Notes: In traditional Pern, women ride only gold and green dragons. In *my* Pern, they ride golds, greens, blues, and the occasional brown which is very rare. Willow is the first and only female bronzerider. Dragons and their riders can communicate telepathically; any coloured and italicized font is what the dragon is saying. Font colour corresponds with dragon colour. Italicized writing is a rider's words in communication with his or her dragon.
For anyone who doesn't know the terms, go HERE.
For anyone who doesn't know the dragon colours, go HERE.
And I inevitably left *some* things out, so if you have any questions about what things are etc., don't hesitate to ask ^^

---------------
Chapter 1
---------------

Willow sighed darkly. There was a clutch on the sands, with a queen egg, and all the candidates were… well, if Willow were that gold, she certainly wouldn’t have picked any of them. She leaned against the cool, sparkling bronze hide beside her, feeling intimately the connection between herself and Rayenth. The dragon curled around his wedge shaped head and nudged her arm. She smiled and reached up, scratching his neck ridges underneath the thick, sturdy riding straps.

She was a bronzerider. The highest ranking male dragon, the highest ranking rider except the queen. Well, type of rider, the Weyrleader and his Wingleaders had higher ranks than she, the only female bronzerider in recorded history. They were making her go out on Search. There was a clutch on the sands, barely a female candidate of quality to be found, and they said no one could be spared… but Ellira and Beth could have gone. The blonde was forever ditching her chores around the Weyr; she even avoided flying Fall when she could. Green Beth was just as bad, bullying the firelizards and drudges into bringing her meat when she couldn’t be bothered to go kill a wherry or two herself.

Not only that, but she’d had Rayenth for three Turns now, and still he hadn’t flown a single female, not even a green. Not even lazy Beth. Willow had mixed feelings about that. Part of her was relieved that she didn’t have to wake up next to Ellira or any other post-proddy woman. But her bronze’s reputation had suffered, he was known as the weakest bronze, even a brown had outflown him last time for Kishandra’s Narenth.

With a bitter sigh, Willow gripped the straps around Rayenth’s broad neck and swing herself up to settle between his last two neck ridges. Her first stop on Search – the chore of finding Candidates to stand on the sands while the dragons were hatching, usually relegated to blues and greens, and the occasional low ranking brownrider – was Fort Hold, the main hold beholden to Fort Weyr.

Come on, Rayenth. I don’t want to do this any more than you do, be swamped by foolish Holders and hero worshipped… but the sooner we go, the sooner it’s over. Maybe we’ll find someone halfway decent this time.

Rayenth grunted in his draconic way, almost seeming to nod. Yes, Mine. Sooner done, sooner sunning on my ledge.

Willow giggled. Is that all you ever think about, love? Sunning and wherries?

No. I also think about that nice cool lake just down the mountain.

I stand corrected. Willow smiled as Rayenth pushed himself off the ledge in front of their weyr, powerful wing muscles carrying them out and up to soar above Fort Weyr. She reveled in this feeling of weightlessness, the whole world stretched before her and reachable within minutes, seconds even. She could go anywhere, do anything, free from the responsibilities and constraints of Weyr life. But then, if not for Weyr life, she couldn’t have Rayenth, and she wouldn’t give him up for anything in the world.

She shook her head, clearing it of extraneous thought and feeling. Clearly, she pictured the noon sky above Fort Hold, and directed Rayenth to take them between.

Willow would have gasped as the deep, bone-chilling cold of between made itself known, but the dark not-place was also airless. There was no sun, no light, no warmth, and though it was only where they were traveling between destinations, no longer than three heartbeats at any time, it felt like an eternity. Willow clung to the clear image in her mind and the leather straps in her hands, even though she couldn’t feel them. If she lost the image for even a moment, she and Rayenth could be lost in the cold dark of between forever. She counted off the heartbeats, one, two, three, and then they were out. Together, she and her lifemate, her bonded Rayenth, burst out of between over Fort Hold. The dragon beneath her let out a loud bugle, announcing their arrival and identifying them to the watchdragon, an old blue by the name of Zuralth. Extending his wings, Rayenth caught the updraft with his sails, using it to glide slowly down to the great, grassless courtyard in front of the hold.

Tara winced as the heavy pot fell, splashing hot, but luckily not boiling, water all over the floor. She sighed and bent, picking it up carefully with now lightly scalded hands and righted it, setting it gingerly on the floor as she reached for the waterskin to refill and reboil the water for the evening’s stew.

You would have thought she was a drudge. She worked in the kitchens, carried herself hunched over and looking at the ground, trying to remain inconspicuous. In actuality, she was the second daughter of Lord Holder Malleck, the man in charge of running Fort Hold. She remembered the day her elder sister, Yanna, had gotten married. She’d married well, as everyone knew she would. She was beautiful, long silky dark hair and matching eyes, pale skin unblemished from a drudge’s work.

Not like Tara. Her hair was a nondescript shade of light, ashy brown, her skin too dark from being out in the heat of the sun, her eyes pale, almost colourless, not dark and vibrant like her sisters’, and her hands were roughened from the work she immersed herself in to get away from her father.

He wasn’t a cruel man, nor a heartless one. But something in Tara was too gentle for him. She wanted to do ridiculous things like take care of the watchwher when it was ill, despite knowing that it would attack her. It hadn’t, much to everyone’s surprise. Still, Malleck had thrashed her for it.

“Tara, Tara! Come see this! There’s a dragon out on Search, and it’s a bronze! With a female rider!” A little girl, Malleck’s sixth and youngest child, came tearing into the kitchens.

Tara blanched. She’d heard of the mysterious redheaded woman who’d Impressed a bronze. No one knew why she was on the stands that day, she wasn’t a queen candidate, but all of the dragons had insisted she be there. She remained an enigma, and most people resented her for usurping the rank that should have belonged to a man. “Nimme, you mean Willow?”

Nimme nodded. “She just landed. She’s searching for candidates for the queen egg! Come on, maybe you’ll get Searched!” Nimme may have been just ten, but she was no fool. She knew that Tara, her most beloved sister, didn’t belong in the Hold. As a Holder’s daughter, she should have been harsh, ruling those under her with an iron fist. But she showed no interest in that, instead spending what free time she had either roaming outside or hiding away in the kitchens.

With an indulgent smile, Tara slipped the waterskin back onto it’s peg and followed the little whirlwind of a girl out of the kitchens and up through the maze of tunnels into the great dining hall, where the bronzerider, easily picked out from the others by her wherhide riding gear, was striding confidently around in a manner no hold woman would ever take on. She was looking around at the people assembled in the hall, trying to ascertain who would be worthy of standing on the sands during a Hatching.

Bright, sparkling green eyes danced with merriment as Willow scanned the crowd of holders and drudges, half of them hoping to be chosen, the rest of them afraid of it. Tara sighed wearily, not allowing herself to hope that she might be taken away from the drudgery of hold life. She’d hoped before, only to be sorely disappointed.

Tara closed her eyes, drifting into fantasy for a moment. She was in the world she always placed herself in at night, in that half awake period just before slumber. Tara could feel the wind throwing her long hair back, feel the powerful muscles rolling between her thighs as she rode a dragon, her own lifemate, soaring through a cloudless sky. There were others, other riders, scattered around her, flecking the sky with drops of colour. She could look down and run her hands over the smooth, shining golden hide… she gasped; the sound echoed through the hall.

Wincing, Tara looked down and shuffled her feet. Her emotions battled within her, somewhere between shock at the strange way her fantasy had gone – her dragon had always been blue or green before, one of the smaller, more modest colours – and embarrassment at disturbing everyone. When she heard footsteps approaching, a stride she didn’t recognize and so therefore must be Willow, the bronzerider, she kicked herself inwardly. Now she’d get raked over the coals in front of everyone, as well as the thrashing she was sure to get later from her father.

Two fingers reached out and lifted her head. Green eyes bored into her own crystalline blue. An age of silence reigned over the crowd in the hall. Moments passed, and then Willow nodded, seemingly to herself. Her eyes glazed over for a moment, and then she shook the look free. “Yes, Rayenth agrees. You’ll do.” Willow turned to face the holders that had backed off several paces. “I’m afraid I’ve found just one person suitable for this Hatching. She’ll be coming with me. Send a couple of drudges to get her things – just a change of clothes, maybe a gather dress, she won’t need much. And warm blankets.”

Malleck’s face clouded over with something between rage and wonder. He nodded to a woman on his left who whispered to two drudges of indistinct gender, or any real description aside from ‘dusty’, shuffled off. Then the Lord Holder’s powerful voice boomed through the hall.

“Everyone who has not been Searched, return to your duties!” He didn’t wait to see if the holders followed his command; he knew they would. Quickly, he stalked over to where Willow and Tara stood. “You will take my daughter from me?”

Tara gasped at her father’s rudeness. No one spoke to a dragonrider that way. Willow merely smiled, however. “She is your daughter? You should be proud then. She will be a candidate for the queen egg, and Rayenth believes she has a decent chance of Impressing.”

Impressing. Tara couldn’t believe it. She really was being taken away from the hold. Carried off to Fort Weyr. On the back of a bronze, no less. Her father had never allowed her to attend a Hatching, though all of her siblings had been in the past, even little Nimme.

The cool, measured voice of her father broke through. “You will feast with us, and spend with us this night then?”

“I am afraid we cannot. The Hatching is imminent, and the candidates need time to familiarize themselves with the Weyr before Impression. Though I do thank you for your hospitality. Another time, perhaps?”

Malleck growled. He was either angry that his offer was refused, or relieved that his wayward daughter would be taken away immediately. Even he was unsure which. “Yes. Another time, you must grace us with your presence.”

Willow rolled her eyes, not so subtly, and wrapped one arm around Tara’s back, who still stood there, dumbfounded. “Ah, here come the drudges with her things.” Indeed they had returned, carrying a smallish trunk between them. Recognizing it, Tara smiled. In it she kept her most precious things; a lock of hair from each of her siblings and her mother, a bundle of dried flowers her mother had given her, her first Gather dress given to her on her eleventh birthday by her mother. She imagined the drudges would have filled the remaining space with spare clothing and a dress that fit her. On top of the trunk were several blankets of varying colours.

Moments later, Tara stood out in the courtyard, beside the largest dragon she’d ever seen. He was four times as tall as she at the shoulders, and fifteen or sixteen times as long if she lay down beside him. Tara wondered what his wingspan must be. She reached out tentatively and patted the smooth, shining patch of hide beside her. When Rayenth didn’t move to object, she smiled and began to scratch him. He made a low crooning sound, half closing his eyes, whirling a serene blue colour.

“He likes that!” Willow laughed, smiling at Tara. She paused. “Hey, I never got your name.” She held out her hand. “I’m Willow, rider of bronze Rayenth.” She smiled absently, leaning against the bronze.

Tara blushed and looked down. “He’s very nice. I’m T-Tara, second d-daughter of Malleck of F-Fort Hold.” She clasped her hands tightly in front of her. Willow just smiled, reaching down and grabbing her trunk. Grimacing, she heaved it up onto Rayenth’s back, strapping it down tightly. She pulled off the blankets and held them out to Tara.

“Here, you’ll want these. It gets pretty damn cold between, and while they won’t help you there, you’ll warm up faster once we get out.” Tara nodded and wrapped them around herself. She looked up worriedly at the back of the dragon that seemed to loom above her.

Willow slipped her hands into the straps and swung herself up to rest between Rayenth’s last two neck ridges. Then she reached down to help Tara up. Rayenth, love, would you bend your foreleg for her?

Certainly, Mine. I like her, she’s nice. Rayenth bent a little, turning his leg into a step up for Tara. She smiled and scratched his side again in thanks before stepping up. Willow grinned and swung her around to rest behind her.

“Hold on tight, Tara. I don’t have any extra riding straps for you.” Tara barely had time to slip her arms around Willow’s small waist before Rayenth launched into the air. Tara was exhilarated; it was almost exactly as she’d fantasized and dreamed so many times. She could feel the dragon’s muscles bunching and rolling beneath her, feel the wind tossing her hair around. She fought the temptation to let go of Willow and fling her arms out.

Rayenth carried them higher, higher, and then, between. It was a warm day, and Tara was shocked at the innate cold of between. It wasn’t even cold, it was an utter lack of any sort of warmth. She couldn’t feel Willow, though she knew the rider was there. She couldn’t feel anything except a burning sort of frozenness. She would have shivered, but found that moving was entirely pointless in the infinity of between.

Then they were out. Rayenth bugled happily, announcing their presence and passing on the word to the other dragons that they brought a candidate. Tara moved one hand from around Willow’s waist and pulled the blankets more tightly around her. With a happy smile, she looked down on Fort Weyr below her, looked forwards at the rider in front of her. Below, people were pouring out of the Lower Caverns to welcome the new candidate. There was no rejection or fear or even dislike in the atmosphere, and the skies around were dotted with dragons. Tara smiled broadly. She was home.

Post subject: Re: Fic: Red Star Rising
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:41 am 
5. Willowhand

Hi Naeryn. I was really excited to see your fic - i read all the books about Pern when i was younger. You've got it spot on, especially the dialogue between Willow and her dragon Rayenth. Lets hope that Tara 'impresses' the new Queen. I can't wait for next Sunday.

Caz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:21 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Hey there Naeryn,
My wife is like a huge Anne McCaffrey/Mercedes Lackey fan. Huge! Actually she and her sister and mother all read those. I've read the ones with Menoli (sp) where she has the fire lizards and I think one of the Pern books so I get the general idea. I can never keep straight the order of dragons so it's definitely good that you provided the link.

I particularly like the way that we start with Willow who is so challenged and so uneager to go and get the new prospective riders but when she is there she is absolutely confident. Of course having her dragon certainly helps.

It's quite exciting that you'll be updating this on the opposite days from the other fic. Well started.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:50 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
Wow Megan, this was wonderful. I haven't read the dragon books since, um, I was a teenager (and that was a long time ago :)) ). You know what I just did? Rummaged through the back of my bookshelves and dusted off Dragonflght. Oh the memories.

Willow as bronzerider was the picture of confidence, dealing with Tara's father with the practiced ease of someone used to being respected and obeyed. I'm sure she's one of the best riders too.

The best part for me:
Quote:
Tara smiled broadly. She was home.

I'm thinking Tara will Impress the new gold and Rayenth will then fly her and W/T will be together. Okay I'm such a spoilsport, sorry :P.

Eagerly looking forward to the next part and name spotting the dragons. I'm glad Anne McCaffrey relaxed her rules on fanfic so we can enjoy fics such as this. That you are able to write both RSR and Adrienne (plus the other fic you mentioned) at the same time, all of which are different in style, is admirable :clap.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:59 pm 
I'm a huge Anne McCaffrey fan. I love Pern and the idea of Willow as a bronze rider. Poor Tara with a lousy family but now she is out of there. If Tara bags the gold, things could get very interesting....

I love that Women can impress all dragon colours. That was one thing that I didn't like in the books that McCaffrey limited females to female dragons while men could impress the female green dragons and have relations with other men.

Wonderful story idea. :applause :applause

Please more soon. The coloured font for DragonThought is just brilliant!!

:bounce :bounce :bow :bounce :bounce

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:53 am 
9. Gay Now

Very nice start, Megan. I've never read any Anne McCaffrey, or much in the fantasy genre at all, but what you have so far is very clear and understandable and vivid. Having the helpful terms/colors guide made me feel like I was up to speed in no time, but honestly your writing is descriptive enough I think you could have omitted it and still had clueless people like me following along no problem.

-Cam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:21 am 
2. Floating Rose

Being an old fan (to say the least...) of the Pern series, I found this peice to be more than accurate in the Pern-lingo that die-hard fans would bitch about, and quite capable of snaring in those who are completely unfamiliar with the Pern Universe.

When we see eachother on Wednesday, we shall discuss this story, Mine.
XD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:08 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
This is an awesome start, I'm really looking forward to more. I've never read anything about Pern before but I had no trouble at all, even though I skipped over the 'if you don't know the terms, go here' links - I like jumping right into new worlds and trying to figure them out from the inside. Everything was fine - lots of new concepts and vocabulary, but it was all clear from context, and fascinating rather than confusing. Great work :bow

I particularly liked the description of flying 'between', it was very evocative - magical, intimidating, and it really gave the dragon a highly mystical edge. And also the way Willow and Rayenth communicated, and he called her 'Mine', it was a very strong indicator of the intimate bond they have, much more than just rider and transport.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:38 am 
2. Floating Rose

My God... I can't believe I'd missed this until now! WOW! I love stories with dragons and this one is going high up to my list of favorites. I've never read Pern, but I had no problem understanding. I think I even read another uber fic with this same setting one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Tara Impresses the Queen (which it's almost certain she will) and Willow's Rayenth flies this Queen then Willow and Tara will 'mate' as well? And is this mating thing permanent? I mean, if Rayenth flies the Queen then he won't fly another dragon later? I'm afraid I know very little of Pern. :blush

Question marks aside, I love your style, I felt like I was there soaring in the air with Rayenth. Willow's relationship with Rayenth seems very close, I wonder how will be Tara's with her own dragon. Tara is so shy, maybe her dragon can help bring her out, so to speak.

Wonderful fic, I can barely wait to read more. :bow

Rob

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" - Ephesians 6:12

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:23 am 
2. Floating Rose

Wow, I really like this story. It's great to pull Willow and Tara out of the usual Sunnydale and stick them somewhere else for a change. I've never ready anything by Anne McCaffrey, but this makes me want to search the library today... I shall add her to my list of authors/books to read for the summer.

Anyways, I think you have a great start to a wonderful story. I really got sucked into the world you've created in your fic. Can't wait to read more. :-D

-Tiffany

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:27 pm 
2. Floating Rose

oh wow! i read on of these books a long time ago and i loved it i can't wait to read how willow and tara do in this world!!!! oh please be adating soon????
~ Bug

"And what? Go up to her and say:
'Hey your cute, wanna boink?' " - Me at MBLGTACC 2005

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:55 pm 
9. Gay Now

Awesome idea. I love the Pern books... I've read and reread them all. I really love what your doing with it. Keep them updates coming... can't wait to see what Will and Tar do in the land of Pern.

-reds

Smutbunny Anthem: *sung to tune from Goldfinger* Smutbunnies...they'er the bunnies, the bunnies that love the smut...and Willow's butt. They surf for smut fiction...always lookin' for the next naked sweaty fix...of Tara's tits.- Written By Cameron

And yes my banana still dances for smut :banana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:14 pm 
3. Flaming O

I had written Pern fan fiction back in the 80s that was actually published in a fanzine. So, needless to say I'm excited about this story.

When does it take place in the history of Pern?

Susan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:25 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

This the first Pern/BTVS crossover fanfic that I have read, and I think it is just brilliant! You have done a great job so far of keeping the characters true while placing them in a completely AU setting--the biggest challenge of fanfic, I believe. As another longtime Pern fan, I am enjoying this very much. Can't wait for the next update!

Camille

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:03 pm 
3. Flaming O

A-Rob wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Tara Impresses the Queen (which it's almost certain she will) and Willow's Rayenth flies this Queen then Willow and Tara will 'mate' as well? And is this mating thing permanent? I mean, if Rayenth flies the Queen then he won't fly another dragon later? I'm afraid I know very little of Pern.
Rob

I think we can safely say that Tara will Impress the Queen.

If Rayenth flies Tara's queen, then yes, Willow and Tara will mate as well. That's why in AM's Pern, women don't Impress male dragons. But thankfully, this story throws those assumptions away.

And no, the mating thing is not permanent. Each time Tara's queen rises to mate, then the male dragons will also rise to catch her. Rayenth will have to take his chances each time she rises along with the other dragons who try to catch her. The outcome is never guaranteed. If Tara's queen is flown by another bronze dragon, then Tara will be compelled to mate with that rider.

However, it is common for dragons and their riders who form long-term bonds to kind of stick together. A queen whose rider is bonded to a bronzerider, will usually only allow that bronze to mate with her. But again, it depends on the quickest and fastest dragons to catch the queen.

That's one reason why morality in the Weyr's are not as stringent as in the Holds. Riders don't form long term bonds and rarely, if never, marry as is custom in the Holds.

seamstressofdarkness wrote:
This the first Pern/BTVS crossover fanfic that I have read, and I think it is just brilliant! You have done a great job so far of keeping the characters true while placing them in a completely AU setting--the biggest challenge of fanfic, I believe. As another longtime Pern fan, I am enjoying this very much. Can't wait for the next update!

Camille

Camille??? Where you been?

--->Susan

Last edited by skeeter451 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:12 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey there Megan?,
I really like the start of this. You captured the entire political climate of Pern very well. So Tara's a holder's daughter but she works in the kitchen with the drudges? Seems that she's very definitely gifted where the Dragons are concerned. It should be very exciting to see her with the dragons. Willow is so incredibly strong and confident.

I like this very much and am waiting your weekly update. Well done.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:07 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

caz - Oooh, a Pern fan? Glad I'm up to scratch. I haven't read all the books, but enough to be a major fan (and really, really wanting to find the rest of them).

JustSkipIt - Wow, you're feedbacking *another* of my fics? o.O... I'm glad you appreciated the link. I was kinda worried that people might think I was being patronizing or something ^^;. Of course, no rider would ever let a holder know that they didn't want to be whever they were. Riders have this whole aloofness thing going on. Important to maintain.
And it's Menolly.

watson - Tara's father isn't abusive. He's just a jerk. So of course Willow deals with him in a cool and professional manner... and then she's all happy and bubbly with Tara.

sam7777 - Again, Tara's father is a jerk. The rest of them are decent, but they're holders and Tara is different from them. So, of course, she's a little on the outcast side. And whether Tara Impresses the new queen or not, I guarantee it'll be interesting ;)
I can't claim the idea for coloured font. It's what we do in my Pern roleplay. My character there is the rider of gold Cyhiraeth. She'll probably make a few candid appearances.

tarawhipped - You weren't lost then? Oh good. I was a bit worried about that. Pern is a very indepth world, and can be difficult to explain.

Kaie the Bard - lol you've noticed the bitching too? I must confess, I've been guilty of that myself at times...

Artemis - Why thank you. I'm very glad I could express the bond; it *is* more than rider and transport. They're intrinsically aware of each other, and they risk their lives together on a regular basis. Even if they didn't have the whole telepathy thing...

A-Rob - If Tara Impresses the queen, and Rayenth flies her, then yes, Willow and Tara will sleep together. It's not a permanent mating; though it can become permanent if the riders have a close enough relationship. That's why jealousy is never permitted in a Weyr. Two people can be weyrmates - that is, living together, essentially married - and that doesn't guarantee that their dragons will always wind up together. Arrangements can be made so that the riders won't be caught up in each other but with someone else, but that's very rare.
And most dragons *do* bring out the 'other side' of their riders.

Dazed and Confused83 - lol, I'm happy that you're enjoying it. That is rather the point, after all ;)

WolfNightwind - Updates every Sunday ^^

WickedReds - I can promise that Willow and Tara's Pernese adventure will be interesting, to say the least.

skeeter451 - It takes place during the Tenth Pass. That is; after F'lar and Lessa, F'nor, Jaxom and Ruth and everyone else, but minus AIVAS. No technology, no chances to get rid of the Red Star.

seamstressofdarkness - Love your name. Just thought I'd say that. Glad you like ^^

skeeter451 (again) - Thanks for answering that, I think you did a better job than I did :lol
And it always irritated me that AM said there was no homosexuality on Pern, but men could Impress greens *and* women couldn't Impress male dragons. Tell me, how the hell does that one work?

Graceland - Yeah, it's Megan (I assume you were asking). Tara worked in the kitchens sort of between the hold staff and the drudges. She did that to get away from her father and a select few of her siblings, who are too holdish for her. Hold and Weyr culture are very different, after all.
And you don't have to wait anymore! Updates away! :P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:19 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Title: Red Star Rising
Author: Naeryn, aka Megan
Disclaimer: Pern, Thread, Pernese dragons, Weyrs, and all other Pern-related things/people/ideas are copyright ANNE MCCAFFREY. No copyright infringement is intended, and no profit is being made from this.
...Oh yeah, and Joss owns Willow and Tara. Bastard.
Rating: E for Everyone ^^
Notes: Tara gets a mother figure ^^

---------------
Chapter 2
---------------

As they spiraled lazily down to the great Weyr bowl, Willow began to introduce Tara to the basics of Weyr life. “First Lanora will take you to the candidate barracks. She’s the headwoman of the Lower Caverns, and our candidate master. Today all you’ll really be doing is wandering around and familiarizing yourself with the Weyr. It can be a little intimidating at first, but the people here are really friendly, and everyone understands that you’ll be a little freaked. Though, you might want a bath and to change your clothes. If that’s the case, just tell Lanora and she’ll take you to the bath and sweetsand.”

Tara looked down between them at her own still damp, dusty and work-worn outfit, biting her lip at the sharp contrast between her dirty self and Willow’s nearly immaculate garb. She sighed, knowing she wouldn’t be able to spend much time with the bronzerider. Willow would certainly have duties to perform, as would she. “W-what about you?”

“Hmm? Oh, I’ll be drilling. Practicing with firestone. After I drop you off, I’ve got to go Search again. There might be a couple of other holds with people who might make decent candidates.”

Swallowing her disappointment, Tara nodded. “I g-guess I’ll have some c-chores to do?”

“Yep. You’ll be on rotation with the rest of the candidates; kitchen duty, caring for the dragons of the riders who are sick or injured enough so they can’t do it themselves, stuff like that. It’s really not that hard, you just have to get into the rhythm.”

They touched down. Willow slid artfully off of Rayenth’s back and extended her hand towards Tara as the dragon again bent his leg to give her a step. She smiled and scratched his side again, receiving an appreciative croon from the large bronze as she jumped from his back with far less grace than the practiced rider. All too soon, it seemed, Willow released Tara’s hand, making her wonder at the empty feeling in her palm.

“Lanora! I’ve brought you another candidate to beat around!” Tara’s eyes widened and she seemed to shrink in on herself, dropping her head and letting her hair fall delicately over her face, blurring her image.

The headwoman walked up, smiling jovially, until her gaze lighted on the demure woman. “Well now. She’s a bit on the shy side, isn’t she? And old for a candidate. Why Willow, she’s almost your age!”

Willow nodded ruefully. “Yes, she’s almost twenty one Turns. But she’s a good candidate, at least according to Rayenth, and… I don’t know. She was out of place there.” Lanora quirked an eyebrow, and Willow continued, shrugging. “I couldn’t leave her there. Call it dragonrider’s intuition. Can’t imagine how she was overlooked so many times.”

She shook her head, smiling amiably, and held out one hand to Tara. “Come on then dear. Looks like you could use a nice hot bath. Dragonriders aren’t known for their patience when it comes to getting ready to leave the hold. They like to just grab you and go.” She chuckled, a bright, cheery sound that pulled the corners of Tara's mouth up into a half-smile. She looked up a little and slipped her hand into the headwoman’s. “Well there you are. Oh, you’re a pretty one too. Be careful, those bronze and brownriders are only after one thing!” Lanora chuckled again.

Tara just looked confused. Lanora blanched. “What, twenty one turns and you’ve never…? Gathers? Visitations? Fosterlings?” When Tara shook her head, she sighed. “Well, I suppose that’ll make it easier on you if you Impress. Can’t sleep with anyone, you know, until your dragon’s a full Turn old. It can damage them, because of your connection.”

Tara just looked even more confused. “C-connection?”

“She speaks too!” Lanora smiled. “Yes, connection. You have a mental link with the dragon, you know. But you don’t only talk to them through it, you share feelings, basic impressions, everything. That’s why, when dragons rise in Flight, the riders get caught up in it too.”

Tara’s eyes widened in apprehension, and Lanora shook her head. “My my, you have been sheltered, haven’t you? Well, no matter. We’ll soon set you straight there.” She smiled. “Come on now, we’ll head off to the baths, and then I’ll take you to see the eggs. They’re quite hard now, should be hatching any day.” She sighed bitterly. “Means we’ll be losing Faith though. As soon as the Hatching’s over, she’ll between. Would have already, but Willow’s Rayenth and J’net’s Hearth kept her here. Now she’s listless, poor thing.”

“W-why? Why will the old q-queen go b-between?” Tara was shocked that the riders would simply let it happen.

Lanora eyed her curiously. “Kendra, her rider, died three days ago. Killed in a mine collapse.” She waved a hand around at the people scurrying about their chores. “That’s why everyone’s a bit subdued. There’s no fit queen at Fort now, just old Lanoth, and she’s past clutching. We’ll be having no clutches until the gold that shells from that queen egg out on the sands is mature enough to Rise.”

Tara bit her lip and swallowed hard.

Willow slipped her fingers around the riding straps and heaved herself up onto Rayenth’s outstretched neck. Come on, love. Let’s go back to the weyr. Heavy wingbeats carried them up and away from the wide terrace of Half-Circleseahold, after another unsuccessful Search. She had three or four more Holds to Search tomorrow, but though the day was relatively young in the area around Fort Weyr, she was tired from betweening so much. Clearly in her mind she visualized the deep bowl and rocky cliffs that made up Fort Weyr and popped into the cold dark of between.

When they reemerged over the Weyr, she sat archly upon her lifemate. She was lost in thought he carried her down to the rock ledge before their weyr. Rayenth had never flown a green because he couldn’t be bothered to try, and he had never flown a queen because… she wasn’t sure why. Was it a fault of her beloved bronze, or was it simply that the queens always wanted to be caught by someone else? If the latter were the case, she would have a decent chance when the little dragonet in the gold-tinted egg hardening on the sands reached maturity. Could she entice Rayenth to go after a green in the meantime with more vigour? She was confident in his flying skills; he was one of the most agile of the larger dragons in her entire Wing of thirty-four, and better than most in the other Fighting Wings as well.

A sigh bubbled from her lips as Rayenth lighted on the stone terrace and she slipped down from him. Why did she have to be the only female bronzerider in all of Pern? No one took her seriously, even now that she was Weyrlingmaster. She knew she was capable of all the things other bronzeriders were; if she wasn’t, she wouldn’t have impressed Rayenth.

She let out a sigh, stripping off her riding gear and pulling on instead her everyday wear: thin-weave bell sleeved shirt, tight leather pants and matching short vest, and heavy boots. Most of the female riders wore skirts when not flying, but Willow couldn’t stand them. Flopping backwards onto her bed, she stared at the faint rock formations in the ceiling of her weyr. Before long, however, she felt her tummy begin to rumble and she headed downstairs to grab herself a cup of klah before dinner. Maybe she’d see Tara at dinner, she seemed nice, and enough of the riders were out on sweeps that the meal would be an informal occasion at best.

Freshly clean and in dressed in a plain white, belted candidate’s robe, the garb they were required to wear for visiting the eggs, Tara shuffled across the Weyrbowl behind Lanora. The great cavern that housed the hardening clutch loomed ahead of her, making her drag her feet. Without a doubt, she knew, when she stepped inside, there would be no turning back. She was torn; behind her was a life that, while not particularly happy or joyful, was decent enough and was familiar. Ahead of her was a life that was full of possibilities, most of which terrified and exhilarated her at the same time.

They approached the yawning entrance to the well-lit Hatching Ground and Lanora stepped aside, smiling kindly. “You go on from here, dear. Non candidates aren’t allowed onto the sands until the Hatching.”

Tara swallowed nervously, compulsively, staring at the gaping maw that threatened to gulp her into some wild, militaristic lifestyle that she wasn’t entirely sure she was ready to accept. Nevertheless, she gathered her courage and stepped over the threshold, half expecting for the great gold dragon to rear up and lunge at her for daring to intrude upon her nest.

As soon as she was inside, the light seemed to open up the whole of the cavern to her. She could see clearly, straight across the sands to where the behemoth queen lay curled around her eggs, seeming to hover protectively over the largest, the one tinted gold, even though she lay quite firmly upon the hot sand. The dragon’s hide was dull and flaking in what Tara imagined must be an incredibly itchy way, but she made no move to scratch. If she hadn’t seen the faint blinking of the gold’s – what was her name? Faith? – eyelids and the subtle movement of her chest that marked the draw of breath, she would have sworn she was a statue, or dead.

Gingerly placing one foot in front of the other, she slowly approached the eggs. All of Tara’s senses seemed hyperaware, and her feet burned from the heat of the sands. They seemed to be getting warmer and warmer every moment, heating up faster than she approached the eggs. Then she was there. Smiling nervously up at Faith, she reached out and lightly ran her finger along one of the large oblongs.

Growing bolder from her movement, she stepped forwards, carefully approaching the queen egg. Faith turned her head sharply and stared at her, and Tara inhaled sharply. She fought the urge to look down and away, instead meeting the dragon’s eyes and attempting to communicate her desire, just to caress, not to harm, the egg cradled near the queen. A dull vibration thrummed quietly in her ears; Tara barely noticed it as Faith turned away in acquiescence and she reached out to lightly brush her fingertips against the shining shell.

The humming sound grew louder, lulling Tara into a quiet sort of complaisance as well as moving her into some sort of action. She looked around confusedly as the sound pulsed and throbbed around her, becoming more and more insistent. Her eye lighted on one of the smaller eggs, near the outside of the cluster in the middle of the hot sands. It rocked, hard.

Mine. Mine, it is starting. The Hatching is starting. Rayenth’s voice in Willow’s mind was quiet, but insistent. She slammed down her half-empty mug of klah and stood up sharply, turning and dashing out of the kitchens.

She tore up the long stone steps to her weyr, questioning the bronze all the way. How long until the first shell cracks?

Not long. Fifteen, twenty minutes, perhaps. People are slow; they are only now becoming aware of the Hatching. It was true; from her vantage point halfway up the steps, Willow could see candidates scurrying off to their barracks, changing swiftly into plain white candidate’s robes and rushing off to the Hatching Sands. Soon, Willow reached the top of the stair and her weyr. Dashing inside, she tore her shoulder knot, denoting her as Fort’s Weyrlingmaster, from her riding gear and fastened it to her left shoulder. Then she tied her hair back and, trusting the gathering of the plates of meat for hungry hatchlings to the drudges, mounted Rayenth.

It was time for a Hatching.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:20 pm 
3. Flaming O

Naeryn wrote:
skeeter451 (again) - Thanks for answering that, I think you did a better job than I did
And it always irritated me that AM said there was no homosexuality on Pern, but men could Impress greens *and* women couldn't Impress male dragons. Tell me, how the hell does that one work?

Wasn't there one instance in the books where it was clear that a green dragon and another rider were a gay couple? But I think it was downplayed.

And wasn't it implied when Menolly's bronzes were about to fly Sebell's queen that the reason the two of them hadn't gotten together before then was because they were both in love with the Masterharper?

So, I think despite what AM says, there definitely was more than a bit of subtext present.

--->Susan

Last edited by skeeter451 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:12 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Oh, sex ed Lanora style :lmao
Quote:
“What, twenty one turns and you’ve never…? Gathers? Visitations? Fosterlings?

and
Quote:
Can’t sleep with anyone, you know, until your dragon’s a full Turn old.

Oh. A full Turn. Yikes. Can they wait that long? Aannnnd I'm getting ahead of myself again.

Seems to me the Hatching was early, since Willow still had a few Searches, so they weren't expecting it. Was it because Faith was tired? Or was it triggered by Tara's presence?

Quote:
The humming sound grew louder, lulling Tara into a quiet sort of complaisance as well as moving her into some sort of action. She looked around confusedly as the sound pulsed and throbbed around her, becoming more and more insistent.

That was vivid, I think I'm sold that her presence caused the premature Hatching. Her gold was caling to her, wasn't she?

I really can't wait till next Sunday, wow, this is riveting. Can't wait to learn the name of the new Queen. Can't wait to see who is the new goldrider. Can't wait for Willow and Tara to be together.

Where's my time machine?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:19 am 
3. Flaming O

Hi there Naeryn,
I love the start you have here. Nice that Tara's getting some guidance. She seems to need some. I think that the early hatching was triggered by her presence rather than by Faith's weakness and despair. Actually I'm impressed (no pun intended) that Faith's been able to wait to go between. I guess she is just that committed to her eggs.

Well done and can't wait for more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:19 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hi Naeryn - definitely an unusual hatching. Faith must approve of Tara, normally a Queen will only let her rider near her eggs. Tara certainly needs to be educated about some aspects of weyr life. lets hope that Willow is doing most of the teaching.

Another great chapter.

By the way, you're gonna cost me a fortune! I read all the books years ago and then donated them to a local library. You've got me interested again - guess what I bought last week?

Caz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:03 pm 
3. Flaming O

I definitelly caught, please keep it coming faster!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:52 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Another excellent chapter! FIrst the praise: You write so well, such a lovely balance of description, dialogue and internal thoughts. Some credit is due to AM for creating an AU setting that is so fully developed, others can write about it without painting themselves into corners (Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover universe was also that way). Your story feels like more than typical "fanfiction." Poor Willow--it seems that she has been "companionless" for a while now....Rayenth must just be waiting for the new, hopefully Tara's, queen. But then a whole turn to wait! I don't usually try to speculate on what's to come, but I'm seeing an opportunity for Willow and Tara to become really good friends (and fall in love), by the time the queen is ready to mate. And there's the W/T twist--if they are soulmates, destined to be together, then surely their dragons will be influenced by that deep connection. I love Tara's seemingly natural affinity for Rayenth.....

Now the whining: I can't wait so long for the next update! I'm with Watson, where's the time machine! *sigh*

Camille

P.S.--Hi, Susan....crawling out of the black hole of real life.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:33 am 
2. Floating Rose

Wonderful chapter! :bow

It's nice to see that Tara will have someone nice to guide her into weyr life, but it would be even nicer if Willow could be part of it too *hint hint* :wink

:lmao Faith is a dragon? Now what exactly do you mean with that one? :eyebrow And I noticed something, is it a rule that dragons have their names ending in 'th'? You know, Faith, Beth, Rayenth?
I've googled everything I could about Pern so I can understand it better. I gotta say, I agree with Caz, you'll cost me a fortune in books, cuz I simply can't not read them now. Oh well. :lol

From what I've researched, the Queens are very important, cause they are the only reprodutive females. The goldrider becomes the weyrwoman and her mate becomes weyrleader, who are the heads of the weyr, right? I can see how some people wouldn't like it if Willow and Tara got those positions, Pern as a whole seems pretty patriachal.

I sure am hoping that's the only kind of angst you are planning, cause the whole mating thing with the dragons could cause major problems in a relationship (even if jealousy isn't allowed in a weyr, there's no way that one could take their beloved sleeping with someone else).

I can barely wait for the next chapter! :bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce

Rob

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms" - Ephesians 6:12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:41 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Quote:
gotta say, I agree with Caz, you'll cost me a fortune in books, cuz I simply can't not read them now.

Add me as another one who has a severe need to check out these books. I used to read fantasy books all the time when I was younger, how did I miss these? (I think I was avoiding the popular books, with the longer series because I couldn't afford books then either....)

Naeryn - seriously you are a good writer! And although I don't know very much about Pern I'm looking forward to this fic! :bounce

-wiccanbotanist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:41 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
It's nice to see Tara have someone to help her through the adjustment to her new home - even if she does feel more at home here than she did in the hold, it's still new and of course she's apprehensive. That little flinch she did at the 'new girl to beat around' joke tugged the heartstrings - here's to Tara's new home welcoming her. I was a little surprised that it wasn't Willow showing her around and getting her accustomed to her surroundings, but only because of the conventions of W/T fics - it makes sense that a dragon rider wouldn't double as hospitality director. And I think it'll make their reacquaintance later more interesting, with Tara able to figuratively stand on her own feet, rather than having relied on Willow for guidance from the beginning.

Wonderful, vivid writing of the hatching chamber - it felt like everything hushed. Poor old Faith... and Kendra just has the darndest bad luck, doesn't she? :eyebrow It was touching to see Tara being checked over by the grand old lady queen, and passing muster.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:55 am 
3. Flaming O

Nice chapter. I'm amazed to see that Willow is the Weyrlingmaster. That will mean that she'll be the one training Tara and her new dragon. Which will of course mean they'll have lots of opportunity to be together.

Was Faith the only Queen at Fort? There were no junior queens? That's unusual after Lessa's time, wasn't it?

And yes, all dragon names end in "th". And male riders contract their names after they become a dragonrider. The only exception to that was Jaxom who was a lord holder who became a dragonrider by accident. His Ruth was a sport dragon who lived at the hold instead of the weyr.

For an excellent site on tons on information on Pern, see http://pern.srellim.org/

--->Susan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:55 pm 
9. Gay Now

Ah, yeah...I got nothing of insight to add, Megan, but I gotta stop by and tell you how much I love this world, and how vivid and engrossing it is. I never thought I liked fantasy stories, but maybe the few I've read just sucked, cause this ROCKS!

Quote:
(Lanora to Tara): "We’ll soon set you straight there."
This had me giggling for quite some time. Suuuuuuure you will, lady! Hehehehehe. Dammit, is it Sunday yet?

-Cam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:53 pm 
Ah Hatching. Gotta love it. Tara may or may not impress but at least she's out of her hold where she didn't fit in. Given that Faith is getting ready to go between since the death of her rider Kendra (great use of names btw) anf the other gold can't clutch, whoever impresses the gold will become Weyr Woman. That would certainly be quite alot for Tara (if it's her) to deal with given her fading into the background at her hold. Gold riders are front and center.

Tara didn't have a lousy family so much as a lousyt holder life with not fitting in. Reminds me of Menolly whose parents were not bad so much as very different from her. Truth is that most holders are pretty unpleasant given that they are responsible for keeping folks under control during Fall. Also given the more medieval 'tude of holders, it's easier to relate to dragon riders and their more modern morals.

Can't wait to see what happens next. I just love the Pernverse and your take on it.

:applause :bounce :applause :bounce