The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fic: Red Star Rising
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:51 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Title: Red Star Rising
Author: Naeryn, aka Megan
Disclaimer: Pern, Thread, Pernese dragons, Weyrs, and all other Pern-related things/people/ideas are copyright ANNE MCCAFFREY. No copyright infringement is intended, and no profit is being made from this.
...Oh yeah, and Joss owns Willow and Tara. Bastard.
Rating: E for Everyone ^^
Notes: Heh... you guys are gonna kill me for this.

-----------------
Chapter 7-2
-----------------

A hoarse, piercing scream rent the air. The very weight of the sound alone nearly brought Tara to her knees, but the sight that soon followed completed it. She hit the ground with a thud that seemed to resound in the sudden, oppressive silence.

Most of the dragons remained in the air; the battle against Thread could not be put on hold. Four riders, however, descended from the sky. Two of them supported an injured dragon, one carried his rider. The fourth was S’rith, trailing the other three with his head down, looking thoroughly chastened and more than a little afraid.

J’net, the wingleader, carried the injured rider draped over his arms. Facedown, as the rider’s back was red and raw, all the thick wherhide eaten away. Blood ran in sinuous rivulets over charred edges of leather and muscular arms.

The injured dragon was almost as bad; the edge of one of his sails had been seared, leaving it rough and uneven. A gridlike pattern of burnt lines crossed his back, just below the rider’s seat. Both rider and dragon were unconscious.

Having regained use of her legs, Tara lunged forwards, dreading the worst. The riders of the two blues who’d carried the injured dragon looked on soberly for a moment before remounting and taking off to rejoin the fight. If she could have spared a thought for them, Tara would have marveled at their willingness to go back. As it was, her entire attention was focused on the helmet and goggles obscuring the face of the petite injured rider. Who was it? She feared she already knew.

As J’net lay the rider on one of the pallets set up for those who were injured, Tara reached shaking hands forwards. Nervously, she eased the helmet from the rider’s head. The dragonhealer was already tending to the injured dragon, and the weyrhealer was gathering fellis juice, numbweed and bandages. Tara gasped at what she saw when the leather and straps came away, revealing the identity of the injured rider.

Tears flowed freely down her cheeks as she focused on the rider’s face, the voices of J’net berating a shameful S’rith.

Red hair was plastered to Willow’s face by copious amounts of sweat. Helmet tucked under one arm, she ran her hand through her hair, trying to wring some of the liquid out. Threadfall had ended about an hour ago, and she’d escaped with little more than a slight score on her left forearm. It would leave a scar, certainly, but not a large one, and not a particularly ugly one.

It could have been her who was injured like that. The wind was gusty, and they had different arrangements for those conditions. If they hadn’t given the order to rearrange the wings, it would have been her who was stuck behind S’rith. It would have been her who’s back got half eaten by the parasite.

She sighed, striding into the Lower Caverns and down to the healers’ hall. They’d sent C’ten, one of the riders who’d brought down the injured, to Masterhealer Menael. Hopefully they would arrive soon. Willow dropped to her knees beside Tara, who sat hunched over the cot.

“How is he?”

Tara brought up one bloody hand, wiping the back of it under her eye in a vain attempt to stop up the tears. “He’s… I don’t know. I’ve never s-seen an injury like this one. He… he just won’t stop b-bleeding.” Her hands fell futilely into her lap. Her work clothes were stained with so much blood now. “Oh, Willow, I just… I don’t know what to do. I want to know, but I… I don’t…”

Willow wrapped her arms around Tara’s shoulders and pulled her close. “Shh, shh. Hey, it’s okay. He’s a strong guy, he’ll make it through this. The Masterhealer is coming too. You’ve done all you can.”

Leaning into Willow, Tara squeezed her eyes shut. “Have I? Have I really?”

Sighing, Willow wrapped her hand around Tara’s upper arm and tugged her to her feet. “Come on, you need to get out of here.” As two more young riders scrabbled over to the man’s pallet, Willow nodded. “See? He’ll be plenty cared for. Come on, we’re going for a walk.”

Tara sat down on a large boulder beside the road out of the Weyr. Willow crouched in front of her, hands resting on Tara’s knees. She sighed, looking down at her lap and letting her hair curtain around her.

Willow reached out and lifted her chin to look into her eyes. “Hey, hey. You okay?”

“The Weyrleader, Willow! He could die, and then… then… what? What would we do then?” Tara’s voice edged on panic. Willow furrowed her brow.

“We’d deal with it. The next ranking bronze rider – J’net, in this case – would take over until the Queen flew. We don’t have an active queen, right now the old goldrider is acting as Weyrwoman, so…” She trailed off. “Well… I guess if G’dor did die, then J’net would take over for the next year and a half, until Naliath matures… and then whoever flies her would be Weyrleader, like usual.”

Tara nodded slowly. “What does that even mean?”

“Flying? Um… mating flight. And the rider of the dragon that flies Naliath will also… sleep with you. Sort of the way it works.” Willow’s voice toughened. “And that person will then be in charge of the Weyr. Theory is the rider of the strongest dragon takes over. Strongest dragon means strongest rider, but that’s not always true.”

“O-oh.” Tara looked down and to the side, her eyes looking through the entrance to the Weyr and beyond, towards the gaping hole that was the tunnel into the Lower Caverns. “The Weyrleader. I’ve never seen… I mean, Thread, it’s… bad, but…”

Willow reached up and placed one hand on Tara’s shoulder. “Hey. Have you… you haven’t… lost anyone to Thread, have you? It’s just, your reaction… most people don’t react the way you did. It’s bad, yeah, but it’s not so… personal.”

Eyes squeezed shut, Tara looked away from Willow again and bit her lip. “Winnie.”

“Who?”

“When I was a girl, my father took me on a trading trip to Garren hold. We were there for a few days only, maybe a sevenday at the most. I don’t really remember. I met Winnie there. She was… she was really nice. First person that was ever really nice to me. I was… awkward, you see. Big and clumsy. No one liked me at Fort Hold. We left… I never saw her again. A little after that she got caught out in it. The dragons stopped flaming, thought it was fully over the water, but some of it gusted back… when the ground crews went out, they found her knife and the buckles from her boots.”

Willow opened her mouth to speak, but found that she couldn’t say a thing. Moments passed, and a faint shadow was cast over the two. It disappeared as quickly as it came, trailed by the eyes of both girls.

Mine. The Masterhealer is here.

All right, thank you, Rayenth. Tara and I will be right in.

Tara wrapped her arms tightly around herself, smiling softly. The Weyrleader was going to live. His back would be badly scarred, but both he and Tarnith, his dragon, would survive. The Masterhealer’s visit had been short. She’d left one of her apprentices here, someone by the name of Anya who, though an exceptional healer, had a terrible bedside manner. She didn’t seem to understand that talking about ‘imminent death’ and ‘mortal wounds’ weren’t comforting in the least.

She lay back on her bed, Naliath asleep beside her. She was nervous now, in a year and a half someone would… some complete stranger. She understood that it would likely be a bronze rider who flew Naliath and therefore bedded her… she frowned. It would be her first time. Part of her hoped that someone would come here to fly their dragon. Maybe if she watched what happened – at least at first, she wouldn’t be allowed to watch… later activities – she would be a little more prepared.

The rest of her just hoped it would be Rayenth who flew Naliath.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:28 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Yo, with the dibs!

ETA: back with comments. First, thanks for the timely update. I know you missed a few so I'm thrilled to see you back on track. What a relief that Willow wasn't scored of course. I actually feel like you went a little too far in trying to keep the suspense going. I mean... I don't want to sound too critical but if you kind of have to do a lot of difficult writing to keep a secret, it's probably not smooth. You know? Hmmm... I should probably go back and see what kind of fb you requested.

It would seem that this was the first time Tara has heard what it will mean when her dragon is flown. Argghhh, what a hard way to hear that. Nice that she's already wishing for Willow. Of course. Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:16 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Topics: 1
I'm relieved Willow and Rayenth weren't the ones hurt, feel bad for the weyrleader, luckily he'll be fine. I feel a little detached from ... what's his name? G'dor, that's it ... thing it, this is the first time we've been introduced to him, and with him being such an important person, I should be more invested but I'm not.

I'm wondering why a weyrleader is flying in the wings of a, um, wing? Hopefully S'rith will get the tongue lashing he deserves, followed by proper training and being kicked out of the top wing, perhaps even the weyr.

Elvis wrote:
It would seem that this was the first time Tara has heard what it will mean when her dragon is flown.

I think Lanora told Tara something when Willow deposited Tara from the Search. It seems Tara has figured out what will happen when Naliath rises. But if it's in a year and a half's time --- wow, that's a long time, and Willow and Rayenth will get even more teasing if he doesn't fly any other dragon.

What will be interesting to learn, is Willow's take on who will fly Naliath. By the way she spoke with Tara, it seems to be that she has given it some thought.
Quote:
Theory is the rider of the strongest dragon takes over. Strongest dragon means strongest rider, but that’s not always true.

Does it mean she doesn't think she is strong enough, has never considered herself Weyrleader material, or has considered but doesn't believe it'll happen?

LOL at Anya being the Masterhealer's apprentice. Will she and Tara bond? That will be nice, Tara needs someone she can confide in.

p.s whaddaya mean there may not be smut? If we can wait a year and a half, there'd better be smut, or at least suggestions of smut.
[br]

Last edited by watty on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:51 am 
3. Flaming O

I've finally caught up with the end of this fic, and it was worth the read :dance

Only a couple of weeks ago I read my first Pern book (dragonflight) & I'm now mid-way through dragonquest. Having really enjoyed draognflight, I was thrilled to find a pern based story. :bounce You have captured the feel of the books really well. I'm looking forward to seeing how / if you introduce more of the BtVS charcters. Your descption of Anya is classic:

Quote:
She’d left one of her apprentices here, someone by the name of Anya who, though an exceptional healer, had a terrible bedside manner. She didn’t seem to understand that talking about ‘imminent death’ and ‘mortal wounds’ weren’t comforting in the least.

That is perfect Anya :applause

I'm looking forward to your next update, it can't come soon enough! :-D

'Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow'
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:40 am 
5. Willowhand

:applause You've definitely redeemed yourself. I was so relieved that Willow and Rayenth weren't hurt. After my last fb I started thinking about all the scenarios that could happen - worked myself up into a right state. Having read the books you can probably Imagine what I mean!

Hopefully J'net will kick his Wing seconds arse around the Weyr Bowl. The man is a liability to his whole Wing.

On a brighter note, I don't think that Tara has to be Innocent for Naliath's first flight. Maybe Willow could rid her of that "worrisome virginity" before the event - just a thought!

Roll on next Sunday. :dance

Caz

P.S. Something unrelated to the story - can somebody please tell me how you manage to show quotes from the stories.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:53 pm 
Oh that was evil making us think that it was Willow and Rayenth but it's still terrible that it was the weyr leader.
Quote:
The rest of her just hoped it would be Rayenth who flew Naliath.

Yay!! Finally someone said it and it was Tara. Well there's a year and half to work this out. Willow is bound to get competition from the other bronze riders but Tara's preference will count in her favor. Maybe now waking up next to some proddy goldrider won't seem quite so bad. I'm looking forward to more of Willow/Tara and Tara goes through her training and wery intrigue. There's got to be a power vacuum with an interim weyr woman and the weyr leader out of action. Great stuff!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:54 pm 
3. Flaming O

Quote:
can somebody please tell me how you manage to show quotes from the stories.

Ok Caz, when you reply there's a number of buttons above where you type the text. if you click on 'Quote' the following symbol should appear [quote]. Copy and paste the quote you want to use directly after the symbol and then click 'quote' again. Another symbol should appear after your text, but with a / before the word quote. That should work. I always check it has worked in preview before submitting just to be sure.

I hope that helps :)

'Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow'
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:34 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
That was pretty cool - I knew, from the careful way things were being phrased, that it wasn't Willow who was hurt, but then there was the nagging question of who it was, who would Tara be shocked and upset - more than usual - to see at death's door? She doesn't seem close to anyone besides Willow, and the other trainees who wouldn't have been up there... but the leader, yep, makes sense, everyone would know him. Nice resolution of the cliffhanger (though still, evil cliffhanger :eyebrow ).

It was sobering too to have Tara learn how mating is done among dragon riders, especially in such a tense moment - but best she knows. And I'm sure we all agree, Rayenth + Naliath = happy dragons and happy riders :blush I'm curious (you needn't answer, I can wait to find out) whether the riders 'mating' is psychically a part of, and done at the same time as, the dragons (though I suppose, they wouldn't be riding the dragons during the mating), or whether the link between the dragon mating and the rider mating is more ceremonial than practical.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:16 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Tara doesn't seem to know much about Weyr habits and customs. Is that typical of people who live all their live in a Hold ?? Or has Tara been sheltered from such knowledge??

Thanks to Willow for explaining Wyers politics to me by the way, most enlightning :lol. Obviously the Weyr needs a leader for the coming year or so, I do recall reading reading G'Dor's name before but we never really got to know him did we ? With the injury as described it's a damn miracle he didn't bleed to death, Tara must have done something right to keep him alive till the masterhealer came around. (though her clothes will be all icky now)

Doesn't sound exactly fair that J'Net (as the indirect cause of this accident) now gets to play Weyrleader. He definitly needs some good talking to. Otherwise he'll make his 'friend' wingleader or something, if he's dense enough :ashamed

I wonder how much the dragons themselves think about their flying. If you were to put a stupid pilot (guess) on a smart dragon would the dragon than correct some pilot errors ??

If Willow had been injured (just wait till she tells Tara about her forearm, I doubt Tara views any injury on Willow as 'minor' :-), Tara would have plenty of time to look after her. A year at least :lol. Wouldn't be fun though, nope.

"The rest of her just hoped it would be Rayenth who flew Naliath." ... Naliath probably heard that, being bonded with Tara and all. Not that the dragons didn't know this already of course, silly humans are SLOW :)

Hmmm... maybe Tara can ask Willow some more questions about flying and mating, heh :blush :blush. Willow appears to be the more experience (and more hardened which is also sad) of the two.

Grimmy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:17 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hi :wave

I have only now discovered this story... and spent the last couple of hours reading it... avidly. :bounce

I had never heard of the Pern universe before (yeah, I know, shame on me :punish) but I completely and instantly fell in love with your story. It is such a fascinating setting. Dragons and riders bound together for life destined to share theirs hopes, dreams and loves... And Willow and Tara... What could be better? :sigh :blush

I'll be anxiously waiting for more and more of this story :bounce

P.S. And I'll try to leave less awe struck feedback next time. I'll try... I really will :-D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:47 pm 
5. Willowhand

cosmic dancer - Thanks! I'm really hopeless when it comes to this stuff.

Caz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:54 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

OK, my first post seems to have gone prancing off into oblivion somewhere. Let me try again. I had never read Anne MCCaffrey before finding your fic. I was so intrigued by your story that I went out and bought a three-in-one novel about the early years of Pern. She's created such a vivid landscape and culture, and you've written our girls into it wonderfully. I'm interested in how their relationship will grow, especially as Naliath gets closer to her first flight and mating flight. Looking forward to an update soon!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:12 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Know what, guys? I'm not going to be posting an update today. In fact, I'm not going to be posting an update for awhile.

See, I am *completely and utterly* uninspired. Every time I try to write, I get a headache, and everything I churn out is absolute crap. So, I'm putting the fic on hold. Both of them, actually - I'll be posting one more update on Adrienne on Wednesday, and that will be it for awhile. I'll try and be nice and leave it as uncliffhangery as possible.

Hope you guys don't hate me for this vv'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:42 pm 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

Naeryn wrote:
Know what, guys? I'm not going to be posting an update today. In fact, I'm not going to be posting an update for awhile.

See, I am *completely and utterly* uninspired. Every time I try to write, I get a headache, and everything I churn out is absolute crap. So, I'm putting the fic on hold. Both of them, actually - I'll be posting one more update on Adrienne on Wednesday, and that will be it for awhile. I'll try and be nice and leave it as uncliffhangery as possible.

Hope you guys don't hate me for this vv'

Awww... we could never hate you, silly kitten Maybe you just need some time of from your strict update schedule ? Feeling less forced to post updates might help with the headeache, headeaches are BAD.

I intend to read some pern books due to reading this fic, so I'll be sort of waiting patiently . Did you know that there actually IS a Pern book called _Red Star Rising_ ? It's the UK title for a book called _Dragons Eye_ in the US. For a minute there I thought I had found this story completed already,heh..

Aaanyway, get well and rested/relaxed soonish and post an update when you are ready, k ?? Don't want have these happen now do we?

Grimmy

Last edited by grimlock72 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:37 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hey Naeryn, I'm sorry you're feeling 'uninspired'. Believe me, your fic is anything but. RSR so far has been great fun - a welcome return to the 'verse of Pern with Willow and Tara in very believable roles.

I think everybody understands that sometimes we all need to take a break, change our routine and recharge. I hope that soon you have a happier outlook, and that everything is going ok for you.

Selfishly, I also hope that you come back and finish this story, but I can understand if you feel the need to make a clean break.

Hope to see you around the Kitten Board.

Spells for two

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:02 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

i got an idea Nearyn!! :) try rereading some books...i know myself i'm already on The White Dragon...great books these Pern books are :P maybe they can give you some more ideas. Hehe...if you need to borrow any of my books just ask...i can send for more reading if i can get more updates :D i love how u write Pern and Will and Tara into it and the differences. Makes much more sense...eheh well hope you get inspired soon!!
-Muse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:57 pm 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 1
Hiya Megan! I hope some time away from posting has been beneficial...I know all about 'hitting the wall', so take your time and come back when you're ready. I never got around to leaving fb for your last update, but it was really well done...so emotional. Tara's breakdown was a nice lead-in to talking to Willow about her friend, and was a good bonding moment. And I LOVE Anya as the healer with the worst bedside manner EVER!

Interesting that Tara is already thinking about who she might/who she wants to have flight with, though it's sort of a Royal duty for her, I suppose, so she has to woder. Meanwhile, Willow doesn't even seem to consider it, like she's resigned herself and Rayenth to old maid and dragonhood. I prefer to think that Rayenth had a sense of what was coming, and has resisted flight until the right pair came along. And now they have! *sigh*

I really love this story, Megan, and I'll wait patiently for you to find your muse. Take care.
-Cam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:50 pm 
12. Recently Gay

OK, I know this is a verrrrry long shot but I was wondering if there was any chance of an update?

I've read this fic a few times and I love it!

Would be amazing if we could get an update!

XX Rachel XX

Wishing Peace, light and love to everyone.
Tara: 'Can we just skip it? Can, can you just be kissing me now?'
Tara: 'I am you know' Willow: 'What?' Tara 'yours'